PDA

View Full Version : PTA: Team Ostra



HZ514
2012-10-14, 04:32 PM
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258426) and Pad (http://tr.edupad.ch/5) for die rolling and chatting, respectively. Though I suppose you could chat in the OOC and roll die in the Pad if you wanted?

It's a gorgeous day outside in Wuhtu. The sun is shining, Spearows are chirping, and a nice cool breeze runs through your hair. And yet you're all going to be cooped up inside, in various degrees of nervousness and excitement.

The city of Xylo is bustling, as always. Hordes of people walk to and fro, each convinced they are the single busiest person and everyone else is in their way.

Room 2342

Inside one particularly innocuous building lies an even more innocuous room. The walls and ceiling are all pearly white with no discerning features. On opposite ends of the room, two beige doors provide the only relief from constant white. Hanging from the ceiling is a single fluorescent light bulb that occasionally flickers. Within the room, there are four chairs, side-by-side, facing a large desk with another empty chair behind it.

Each of you has just recently arrived at Ostra HQ, per some vague orders. You were told to wait until this exact moment and come to this particular room. That is all you were told.

The light bulb flickers.

You'll arrive in the order you post in, so please do incorporate the presence of anyone who's already there in your arrival.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 04:46 PM
Burler walks into the room, exactly on time. He was used to the punctuality. He sits down, Lumin resting on his head as per normal. He fiddles with two lighters in his pocket, before drawing one. Experimentally, he flicks the starter and a small flame spouts. He stares for a moment before cutting off the fuel to little flame. Cute. Lumin simply chirps once.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 04:47 PM
Caspar arrives second, dissatisfied with the dead end his searches lead him. He was glad to have been called back. The Team took care of its own, and he was ready for another assignment.

"Hey there. You just get pulled in abruptly too?"

Inedible
2012-10-14, 05:22 PM
Bartleby hasn’t been back in his hometown in a little while, and it was quite the thing to ignore all the sights, sounds, and fun it had to offer in favor of being punctual. He has, however, managed it. The man steps into the room, wincing briefly at the sheer bareness of it before he drags a seat out for himself and drops into it.

“So,” He offers amiably, “Looks like it’s not just me. I wonder how big this job is.”

planswalker
2012-10-14, 05:34 PM
"You must be new to the Team. Most jobs are at least four persons."

Wordplay
2012-10-14, 05:36 PM
This is bad. This is very bad.

It wasn't good to be back in Xylo. Sure, it was a big city, but there was always the possibility someone might recognise him. They might realise he wasn't a real trainer - they might try to take Buddy again - try to take his family.

I won't let that happen.

Jack's heart was drumming as he slunk through the backstreets. Even scarier though, was the prospect of staying away.

They found me so easily. Then that message -'be here, it will be to your advantage' or summink like that. On the phone, in a diner, then again, pinned to my bag while I slept.

Still, could be good. Team Ostra! They've got money, influence. No-one would muck around with a Team Ostra member. Pulling tricks on the Rangers, instead of running and hiding from them, beating up toffee nosed brats with their pompous League licences.

And brothers. Yeah, when you're in a gang like that, you're brothers, so long as you keep up your side of things. Ostra will look after their own'.

Jack's heart thuds harder when he arrives at the building.

Is that it?

Jack makes his way in, then hears the sound of mens' voices. Turning the corner, the boy sees three grown, all quite a bit taller than him.

Posh looking too

'Err...I got yer message'. Jack shuffles his feet.

'Did yer want to see me?' he tries to sound tough, and look fierce, but his body language is all wrong - shoulders hunched, head down.

Jack's hand drifts towards Buddy's scuffed Pokeball rolling it around nervously.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 05:47 PM
Burler nods slighlty, so as to not disturb the Larvesta on his head. Yes. Burler doesn't react to the third man entering but does to the fourth, who was obviously a completely new to Ostra. Burler stands up and walks over to the shorter boy, and gingerly plucked a single hair from his head. In one deft motion he pulls out the lighter, ignites it and catches the strand of hair on fire. He watched the smoldering hair for a moment before saying Good. You burn well.

Lumin chirps twice and Burler promptly returns to his seat.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 05:47 PM
"... And that would be our fourth. Boy, we're here waiting the same as you. Odds are, if this goes like previous jobs, we're soon going to meet one of the higher ups who will bind us together as a task force for a mission."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 05:49 PM
Glad I'm not paired up with a bunch of fresh kindling this time. They produce too much smoke most of the time. I'm Burler. He offers his scarred hand to the man sitting next to him.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 05:51 PM
Caspar offers his own in return. "Name's Caspar. I take it your specialty is fireworks?"

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 05:55 PM
I am no expert in explosives. I simply enjoy the beauty of flame. This is Lumin. The Larvesta chirps, wiggling in welcome. Burler shakes the man's hand firmly, but not overtly overpowering. Me and my pokemon make art with conflagration. Ostra sees the beauty of our work, while the League reprimanded us for them.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 05:58 PM
"I am familiar with the League silencing those who are "out of line". I envy you the luxury of attachment."

Yeah, they're hooking us up with a pyro. Whatever the mission is, it won't be subtle. He thinks.

Inedible
2012-10-14, 06:05 PM
Bartleby’s brows arch upward at Burler’s display, the man’s lips pinching into a quizzical line. Really? This is the kind of person he's supposed to be working with?

One of his legs reaches out, hooking the remaining chair in the row, turning and giving it a shove to slide it toward Jack. “Take a seat, kid. There’s nobody important in here yet. Relax.”

To the other two, he comments, “Name’s Bartleby.” He points a finger up at the Larvesta on Burler’s head. “Nice hat.” It’s a joke. Probably.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 06:14 PM
Lumin squeaks, the tips of her feelers spouting little flames, only to be placated by Burler's touch. Lumin is my muse. Settle. You make a fine hat. A murmured chirp comes from her, but she doesn't sound convinced.

Wordplay
2012-10-14, 06:17 PM
Jack flinches as the man pluck his hair and burns it. His fingers find the catch for Buddy's ball, and the crimson light takes the shape of a male Nidoran. Jack scowls at the guy with the weird Pokemon on his head, and takes a seat.

Looks like a joker's hat, sitting there. Freaky mon, never seen it before, which means it's likely rare. Which means it's likely trouble. Who does he think he is?

Jack nods at Caspar, and takes a the seat Bartleby kicks over.

'Thanks... I'm Jack - just Jack'.

'Heheh. Yeah, he's right, it is a nice hat'.

Keep quiet - don't say too much.

'So...am I in then? In Ostra?'

Stupid.

Jack left hand delves into his jacket's inside pocket, nervously gripping the handle of his knife, and his right clutches at the everstone in his jean's pocket.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 06:20 PM
"I must wonder why we continue to wait. Normally, the higher ups like to start things as soon as everyone gets here. Unless this task force is supposed to be a 5 man band."

Inedible
2012-10-14, 06:50 PM
"Our fifth man must have screwed up, he doesn't even get a chair." Bartleby snickers. "Unless we're about to get punished-But, why would you be here, if that was the case." He jabs a finger at Jack.

Of course, when Jack asks his question Bartleby mumbles, "Maybe I'M being punished." Grumble grumble.

Wordplay
2012-10-14, 06:51 PM
'Have you all been on lots o' jobs before?'

Jack thinks for a bit, then hastily adds

'Sirs?'

His left hand comes out of his pocket and he strokes Buddy nervously.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 06:52 PM
"Don't call me sir, boy. And I've been on a few missions before."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 06:58 PM
No need for formalities. At least, not with us. We are your equals. Please, relax. The big wigs like to scare the newbies, and your just feeding fuel to fire being so fidgety. And I've been on a handful. I'm hardly more exprienced than you are.

Wordplay
2012-10-14, 07:06 PM
Jack eases up, and relaxes back into his chair, stretching out his legs in front of him.

Awwright. Equals. Bit o' respec. Yeah. Boy though, that's not good.

'Thanks'. Jack says to Burler.

'Aw right, I won't call you sir. But you don't call me boy. It's Jack. Caspar, right?'

Jack extends a hand to each of the others in turn. Then he looks at Burler again.

'I like your 'mon. Did you say her name was Lumin? She's beautiful. What is she? I've never seen anything like her?'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 07:15 PM
Lumin crawls down Burler's head into his lap, where he starts petting her softly. She is a Larvesta. They are rare pokemon. My grandfather found her as an egg in some ruin and brought it home for me when I was very little. He brings his left hand to right above his heart, and a smile spreads across his face. She hatched shortly after he got home, and gave me our first work of art. She has been with me ever since.

Larvesta eventually evolve into a pokemon called Volcarona. It is told that in times of crisis, when volcanic ash blots out the sun, Volcarona can fly into the sky and shine bright, as a replacement to the sun. Isn't that right Lumin? A single chirp of acknowledgement, wiggling with Burler's fingers.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 07:16 PM
"Alright, Jack. Don't act like a boy, and I'll not call you such."

Inedible
2012-10-14, 07:31 PM
“Sure, kid." Bartleby replies, clasping Jacks hand for a second before leaning back in his chair. It’s better than ‘boy’, at least. “Let’s say I know what I’m doing and leave it at that.” He flashes a jagged smile before his attention turns elsewhere.

The story about Burler’s pokemon held his attention for a few moments, Bartleby’s shoulders rolling backward after it’s done. “It looks well taken care of, but-Well. I’ve seen some really rare Pokemon.” A hint of haughtiness does manage to slip into his tone.

Wordplay
2012-10-14, 08:12 PM
Bartleby's too smooth smile and round about way of speaking rub Jack up the wrong way.

Don't think much of him. Smooth geezer. Caspar seems OK. Laid down the law - know where you stand with a guy like that. As for that Burler guy - bit weird - maybe he's a bit carried away with the power of his Pokemon.

Jack thinks back to some times in the wilderness - holding up travellers - glorying in the power even the threat of poison had, miles from a town or center.

So maybe we're not so different.

'So she's a fire type? I only say because she looks like a bit like bug type...'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 08:34 PM
Burler nods. Fire/Bug. Most Bug types look more bug than their secondary types. Odd how that works.

Wordplay
2012-10-14, 08:39 PM
'Huh. I guess they do, thinking about it. I've a bug/poison type myself. Do you think they might like to meet? I've got him right here'.

Jack reaches for Sting's pokeball.

planswalker
2012-10-14, 08:48 PM
"Take care that you value what you have." Caspar says to no one in particular.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-14, 08:50 PM
Burler stops him before he releases the other bug. NO that is quite alright. Not sure how two bug types interact and in this enclosed space, I'd rather things not get ugly. Here. Lumin, you'll have to go away for now girl. Burler returns the larva.

Inedible
2012-10-14, 09:09 PM
"Good idea," Bartleby remarks to Burler. "This is a serious meeting. Let's all do show and tell later, hmm?"

HZ514
2012-10-15, 01:29 AM
Suddenly, the other door opens, and an impeccably dressed gentleman steps in. He has an obviously expensive haircut, he's wearing a white suit that almost matches the walls, and he's holding some folders in his hands.

He checks his dazzling golden watch before clearing his throat and starting to speak in a haughty tone of voice. "Welcome. The four of you," he says, eyeing each of you in turn, "have apparently caught the eye of someone important." He opens up the folders and compares the pictures in them to your faces. One at a time, he walks up to you and shakes your hand.

"Burler Brand, pyromancer extraordinaire." He grins wickedly.

"Caspar Tribeau, tireless vengeant." He nods once.

"Bartleby Rainer, charmer par excellence." He chuckles slightly.

"And Jack Mason...orphan." He sneers and spits on the ground.

He walks over to the other side of the desk and sits down. "As you no doubt have deduced, the four of you have been called here today to form a new squad. Ostra logisticians peruse the entire personell database and determine optimal groupings." He examines the four of you through squinted eyes. "...sometimes, they're wrong. But that's not for me to decide."

He pulls out some papers from a drawer and a pen as well. "At any rate, you have the autonomy to choose your own squad name. Please don't make it something stupid."

Wordplay
2012-10-15, 03:26 AM
Jack smarts slightly, but holds his tongue.

No respect, huh? Orphan? Stay cool for now, stay cool, remember they could waste you in a second.

Jack nods slightly, waiting to hear what the others want to call the team.

Remember, you're the rookie here, so keep your head down, but don't let them push you around.

'Something normal-soundin' would be good, so we can talk about it without drawin' attention'.

Blast, did I just say that?

HZ514
2012-10-15, 03:57 AM
'Something normal-soundin' would be good, so we can talk about it without drawin' attention'.

"A sparkling gem of genius from Mister..."--he glances down at his files for a moment, then looks back at you--"Orphan."

planswalker
2012-10-15, 07:57 AM
"Personally, I like the sound of "the vengeful dead" but that one's hardly appropriate. I think the mockery of calling us four "the Elite" would be more suitable."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-15, 09:36 AM
Burler nods at the man for the compliment. I'll avoid making the obvious suggestion, at least from me. "The Elite" would be amusing, though I can't say for certain how accurate it is. I know I am not perfect. But it has my vote. A glint streaks across his eyes, a devilish smile plastered on his face.

planswalker
2012-10-15, 09:37 AM
"My philosophy is to name oneself what you wish to become."

Inedible
2012-10-15, 09:57 AM
"This group?" Bartleby breathes a cynical puff of air. "Ah, whatever. It doesn't matter to me. Team Elite is so inconspicuous, after all."

HZ514
2012-10-15, 02:48 PM
"Alright, 'The Elite' it is, the man deadpans as he writes it on a form. Then he leans back in his chair and puts his hands behind his head. "This is where I'm supposed to 'facilitate introductions and foster team dynamics' and all that crap, but let's be honest. I don't much care."

He leans in toward you guys and continues, "Here's the bottom line: Best case scenario, you four are stuck with each other for the foreseeable future. Worst case scenario, one or all of you go to jail--or, you know, die. If that little dichotomy isn't powerful enough to motivate you to work together as a team, no amount of fluffy nonsense from me will help."

He sits up straight and adjusts his tie. "There's really only one rule: You answer to me. I say, 'Jump,' you say, 'How high?' I assign you tasks, and you get them done. By any means necessary, you get them done. Am I clear?" he asks, looking straight at each of you in turn.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-15, 02:54 PM
As a blue flame, sir.

Inedible
2012-10-15, 02:54 PM
Bartleby’s lips purse, but he nods his head dutifully as the executive explains the deal. The last part of the man’s words drew a quick, thin smile to his lips. “Of course.”

planswalker
2012-10-15, 04:10 PM
"Deathly clear."

Wordplay
2012-10-15, 04:17 PM
'Crystal clear, boss'.

HZ514
2012-10-15, 04:57 PM
The man nods once. "Good." He pulls out another folder and sets it down on the table. He flips through it as he speaks. "Your first task as a team is relatively simple. This man--he holds up a picture of a middle-aged male with a Serenity Corp name tag--is a talented Move Tutor over at Serenity. He used to help us improve our Pokemon, but recently he has been ignoring our requests. I want you to go visit him and...remind him of his obligation. Figure out what his problem is, and either fix it or give him a bigger one to worry about.

Any questions?"

Wordplay
2012-10-15, 05:11 PM
OK, need to impress here...

'Umm..I guess name, aliases, known associates and family, address, security, and whether he has any Pokemon owned...

If you can help us with any of that, and we can work out the rest ourselves'.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-15, 05:16 PM
I think you forgot please. Just to clarify, you would prefer him alive and able to work his Tutor magic than dead or crippled, barring special circumstances?

Wordplay
2012-10-15, 05:37 PM
'Well, stands to reason he's no good dead. If Mr Boss here wanted him taken out, he'd have told us to take him out.

O' course, he would o' said, 'take care o' him' or 'I do hope he doesn't come to any misfortune' or summink, but we'd know what he meant'.

HZ514
2012-10-15, 05:59 PM
OK, need to impress here...

'Umm..I guess name, aliases, known associates and family, address, security, and whether he has any Pokemon owned...

If you can help us with any of that, and we can work out the rest ourselves'.

"Settle down, kid. This guy isn't a criminal mastermind, he's a normal guy. But to answer your questions..." he says as he flips through the folder, "His name is Gabriel Ross. He has no aliases. His 'known associates' include his coworkers at Serenity and his wife, Allison. He has a daughter named Stephanie, who just became a trainer last week. Could be some leverage there, or that might be the source of the problem, who knows? They live in a loft in the Contest District, 515 Veil Avenue. No security to speak of besides a standard home alarm system. The code is 1-2-1-8, his daughter's birthday. He only owns one Pokemon, a young Eevee he keeps as a pet." He closes the folder and hands it to you. "Knock yourself out."


I think you forgot please. Just to clarify, you would prefer him alive and able to work his Tutor magic than dead or crippled, barring special circumstances?

The man flippantly says. "To be blunt, I care more about him being brought in alive than I do about you coming back alive."

Wordplay
2012-10-15, 06:13 PM
Jack smirks and sits back in his chair, happy with his brief victory over Burler.

Kid now, huh? Kid's better than boy at least.

Jack opens the file and starts to read it, holding it open so the others can look over his shoulder.

'Well an Eevee shouldn't be too much of a problem - few resistances, and none to poison. Need to check out what that daughter's mon are. The League brats grow quickest when they start off - she could have a full team by now. Must be nice to be able to buy pokeballs without having to look over your shoulder for a Ranger'.

Jack looks to see if there are any pictures of Allison and Stephanie. If he finds any he works at memorising their faces, along with Gabriel Ross' face and the password to the home security system.

HZ514
2012-10-15, 06:25 PM
Jack smirks and sits back in his chair, happy with his brief victory over Burler.

Kid now, huh? Kid's better than boy at least.

Jack opens the file and starts to read it, holding it open so the others can look over his shoulder.

'Well an Eevee shouldn't be too much of a problem - few resistances, and none to poison. Need to check out what that daughter's mon are. The League brats grow quickest when they start off - she could have a full team by now. Must be nice to be able to buy pokeballs without having to look over your shoulder for a Ranger'.

Jack looks to see if there are any pictures of Allison and Stephanie. If he finds any he works at memorising their faces, along with Gabriel Ross' face and the password to the home security system.

There is a snippet of information that Stephanie's starter was a Swablu, but there is no further intel on her current roster. There are a few pictures of Allison and Stephanie, sufficient for recognition purposes.

Wordplay
2012-10-15, 07:02 PM
Swablu? What in Darkrai's name is that? Not heard of it before, so it's probably rare. Which usually means trouble.

Jack has a quick look at Gabriel Ross' fellow employees, then hands the folder to Caspar to look at.

Jack looks at his fellow team members. 'Hey, gentlemen, anyone got any good data on a Swablu? Any nasty surprises to look out for?'

Oh, wait, missing something here...

'Sorry, Boss. One thing more. Can you tell us why this guy working for the Team in the first place? Money? Power? Women? I doubt it was the goodness of his heart'.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-15, 07:07 PM
Never heard of them. Though each only having one pokemon each means we have a numerical advantage. So thats a plus.

HZ514
2012-10-15, 07:15 PM
'Sorry, Boss. One thing more. Can you tell us why this guy working for the Team in the first place? Money? Power? Women? I doubt it was the goodness of his heart'.

"Money. Presumably he wanted to spend that money on something, but you'll have to ask him what that would have been." The man checks his watch again before sarcastically rattling off more facts. "He's also a Capricorn, he enjoys long walks on the beach..."

Inedible
2012-10-15, 07:19 PM
"Doesn't sound too hard." Bartleby leans to take a look over the folder from behind Jacks shoulder. The kid got all the important questions down, he seems impressed at least. "He's got a family, that's easy leverage. We just make sure we don't ruffle any feathers at Serenity."

HZ514
2012-10-15, 07:41 PM
The man stares at his watch and gives it a tap as both hands shift to the 12. "Alright, all across Wuhtu, this week's round of starter battles just got underway. We have intel that places the wife and daughter at the local gym watching Zayir be a pompous windbag. Mr. Ross should either be at the office or working at home."

He looks at the four of you and blinks a few times. "That means go."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-15, 07:55 PM
Burler stands up and moves quickly tot he door, holding it open to the others. Lets find Mr. Ross first. Less that know of our activity, the better.

Inedible
2012-10-15, 08:04 PM
Bartleby nods at the boss, standing and turning to head toward the door in short order.

“Well, the thing is, this man probably isn’t stupid. There’s probably a reason why he doesn’t want to pay us, and a reason he thinks he can get away with it. Or he doesn’t care. I’d like some leverage.” He pauses to add, “Let’s give his office a call and find out if he’s there first. I don’t want a confrontation at a Serenity Corp place. If he's home, easy. If not, we'll need a real plan.”

planswalker
2012-10-15, 09:39 PM
"Leverage is simple. Find what he values and threaten it with death. All fools realize the value they place in life when they are about to lose it. The "wise" require los before they understand the value they plae in it. A pair of leverages is best. Wife and child should work well."

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 06:16 AM
Jack rises, returning Buddy.

'Awrighty, but let's find a phone box to call him. Don't want it traced back or nothin''

Jack wipes his nose on his sleeve.

'I think it's best if one or two of you gentlemen approaches him first. It's best if there are one or two of our faces he doesn't know for now. Perhaps Mr Caspar and Mr Bartleby should make the contact, and Mr Burler and I can be back up'.

Jack pauses.

'Or I could go to the Gym, keep the wife and daughter occupied - make sure they don't interrupt us - whatever you gentlemen think best really'.

Inedible
2012-10-16, 07:15 AM
“I was considering that,” Bartleby replies to Jack. “Do you think you can handle it? It’d be useful if we could keep an eye on them and keep them out of the house at the same time.”

In the meantime he headed for the nearest untraceable phone. He dials Ross’ office, hits whatever extensions are appropriate and merely waits.

planswalker
2012-10-16, 07:25 AM
As they are leaving the room, Caspar will lag behind the others and say to their boss. "Look, I know the new boy didn't understand how things work and grilled you for information, but would you mind if I had a copy of the mark's file? Just in case the boy in all his "infinite wisdom" forgot to ask something we could find useful or just plain forgot something."

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 09:30 AM
'Yeah, I think that I could handle that, no problem'. Jack's got a happy smirk on his face.

'Obviously I can't detain 'em forever, but I can keep 'em occupied for plenty of time, and give you a warnin' if they're coming back.

If push comes to shove I can possibly give us that 'leverage' - As for the girl's team I may not be the best battler, but with my Pokemon hit and run tactics will bring even a champ to their knees, and I know the city well'.

'On that note, may I have the numbers to reach you gentlemen, in case I do need to warn you?'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 09:34 AM
Burler rattles off his number. We should observe the girls from a distance, at least at first. Remaining innocuous for as long as possible should be the key here.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 12:19 PM
“I was considering that,” Bartleby replies to Jack. “Do you think you can handle it? It’d be useful if we could keep an eye on them and keep them out of the house at the same time.”

In the meantime he headed for the nearest untraceable phone. He dials Ross’ office, hits whatever extensions are appropriate and merely waits.

At a nearby phone booth, you dial the number for Serenity Corp's Move Tutor division. After being directed to Mr. Ross's extension by a secretary, you hear the line transfer and the phone rings.

Three rings later, someone answers. A male voice says hurriedly, "Hello?


As they are leaving the room, Caspar will lag behind the others and say to their boss. "Look, I know the new boy didn't understand how things work and grilled you for information, but would you mind if I had a copy of the mark's file? Just in case the boy in all his "infinite wisdom" forgot to ask something we could find useful or just plain forgot something."

The man nods. "Sure." He pulls out a copy of the file and hands it to you. "Ostra eyes only. The intel in there wasn't exactly legally obtained."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 01:54 PM
Well then Jack. Lets go meet the family, shall we? with a dramatic flourish, Burler motions to the general outside.

planswalker
2012-10-16, 01:57 PM
The man nods. "Sure." He pulls out a copy of the file and hands it to you. "Ostra eyes only. The intel in there wasn't exactly legally obtained."

"Of course. Last time I trusted someone outside Ostra was a lifetime ago."

Caspar will look through the file as he rejoins his companions.

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 02:35 PM
Jack nods to Burler. 'Sure thing, but let's get Caspar's number first so we can stay in touch. Let's separate shortly, and sit apart in the stands. If we need to stall them, I can pretend to be a League brat, and ask the girl for a battle. That should slow her up quite a bit, and faint at least some of her Pokemon.

Maybe you can attack them, and I can pretend to fend you off. That way one of us will have their trust. Or, I can pretend to be friendly, and then switch to attacking them when they least expect it

Anyway, observation first, right'.

Inedible
2012-10-16, 02:42 PM
“Sorry, wrong extension.” Bartleby promptly hangs the phone back on the receiver. “Well. He’s at the office.”

He rattles off his own phone number after that for purposes of keeping in touch, and then notes to Caspar, “So it’s you and me, then? Alright. Why don’t we go wait at his house? At worst we'll have plenty of warning if they can't keep his family occupied. I want to check the place out, too. Just in case.”

planswalker
2012-10-16, 02:54 PM
"Works for me." Caspar will inform everyone of his number before heading off.

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 04:00 PM
'OK, but absolutely no violence unless we get a signal from the others. This town's hot enough for me already'.

Jack heads to the local gym, keeping a discreet distance from Burler.

planswalker
2012-10-16, 04:07 PM
After Jack leaves, Caspar comments, "I'd love to know who died and let the boy dictate terms."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 04:31 PM
You and me both. Burler notices the files in Caspar's arms. May I see those real quick? I want to pictures of the girls, so I know who they are. Quickly shuffling through the files, he takes pictures of the girl's pictures with his phone, just in case. He'd delete them later.

Burler heads behind Jack, a good deal afar, but never loosing sight of him.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 04:32 PM
Well then Jack. Lets go meet the family, shall we? with a dramatic flourish, Burler motions to the general outside.


'OK, but absolutely no violence unless we get a signal from the others. This town's hot enough for me already'.

Jack heads to the local gym, keeping a discreet distance from Burler.

The two of you arrive at the gym simultaneously but separately and are each greeted by an usher once you're inside.

A teenage girl says to Burler, "Hello, Sir. Are you here with one of the contestants today?"

An older man asks Jack a similar question, "Good afternoon, are you among family or friends with one of the contestants today?"

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 04:37 PM
'Good afternoon, sir. No, I'm not with one of today's contestants. Just lookin' to see how the pros battle, and cheer for our City's applicants'.

Jack smiles what he hopes is a winning smile.

'Always feel good whenever we get a new trainer qualify. I'm not late am I?'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 04:41 PM
Oh no. I just wanted to watch. Its always fun to see the new potential. Thank you miss. Am I too late?

HZ514
2012-10-16, 04:46 PM
'Good afternoon, sir. No, I'm not with one of today's contestants. Just lookin' to see how the pros battle, and cheer for our City's applicants'.

Jack smiles what he hopes is a winning smile.

'Always feel good whenever we get a new trainer qualify. I'm not late am I?'

The man nods approvingly. "Nothing quite like a new trainer earning their starter! And no Sir, the first battle has only just started. You won't have missed more than the introductions. Right that way, through those doors," the man says, pointing to some double doors on the right.


Oh no. I just wanted to watch. Its always fun to see the new potential. Thank you miss. Am I too late?

The girl shakes her head. "Nope, they just started in there. Just don't make a scene when you walk in and you'll be fine. Go--ah, just follow that guy," she says, indicating Jack.

planswalker
2012-10-16, 04:49 PM
A few minutes after the first two leave, Caspar will head out with Bartleby to the mark's house.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 04:54 PM
Burler smiles at the girl and follows the man he has defiantly never seen before in his life. Hmmm, I'll sit on the right. He says out loud to no one in particular. Especially not the guy he had never seen before in his life.

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 05:15 PM
'Thank you sir'.

Jack slips through the double doors and looks for a seat as far to the back of the stands as possible, whilst trying to move quietly.

After he finds the seat he looks at the people sat in the stands, trying to pick out Alison and Stephanie Ross.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 05:27 PM
A few minutes after the first two leave, Caspar will head out with Bartleby to the mark's house.

Soon enough, the two of you find yourselves at 515 Veil Avenue. The Ross apartment is presumably somewhere upstairs, but the ground level of this particular building is some sort of Pokemon Contest shop. A neon OPEN sign hangs in the window along with various accessories on display.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 05:39 PM
Burler smiles at the girl and follows the man he has defiantly never seen before in his life. Hmmm, I'll sit on the right. He says out loud to no one in particular. Especially not the guy he had never seen before in his life.


'Thank you sir'.

Jack slips through the double doors and looks for a seat as far to the back of the stands as possible, whilst trying to move quietly.

After he finds the seat he looks at the people sat in the stands, trying to pick out Alison and Stephanie Ross.

Inside the doors, you're instantly treated to Zayir's booming, splendid voice. "Excellent choice, Brent! So, Ladies and Gentlemen, this battle shall be between Brent's Mareep and my Woobat! Best of luck to you, Mr. Ellison!" he shouts as he sends out his Woobat. On the other end of the battlefield, a nervous looking boy whispers words of encouragement to his Mareep. "The first move is yours, challenger!"

As the starter battle begins, you both notice a particularly enthusiastic teenage girl in the middle of the audience cheering louder than everyone else. It doesn't take long to realize that she is the Stephanie you've just seen pictures of, and her mother is sitting next to her, clapping conservatively.

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 06:23 PM
Alright. No need to do anything for now. Just keep an eye on them. Kid seems pretty enthusiastic about that guy - friend, boyfriend, or distant family member? Or maybe just excitable.

Jack looks to check Burler, then starts scanning through the rest of the audience, looking to see if anyone else is watching the Ross family.

After all, there could be someone else pressuring him. Another gang, threatening his family, or maybe even the Ranger scum.

Jack swallows, and looks about to see if there are any uniformed Rangers. Then as an afterthought looks to see if anyone's guarding the exits.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 06:33 PM
Alright. No need to do anything for now. Just keep an eye on them. Kid seems pretty enthusiastic about that guy - friend, boyfriend, or distant family member? Or maybe just excitable.

Jack looks to check Burler, then starts scanning through the rest of the audience, looking to see if anyone else is watching the Ross family.

After all, there could be someone else pressuring him. Another gang, threatening his family, or maybe even the Ranger scum.

Jack swallows, and looks about to see if there are any uniformed Rangers. Then as an afterthought looks to see if anyone's guarding the exits.

No one else seems to be watching the Ross family. There are a few uniformed Rangers in the audience, but they look to be there just to watch the battles, not in any official capacity. There's no one guarding the exits when you glance over.

Can you both (the two at the gym) roll a Perception check? (WIS modifers)

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 07:16 PM
After spotting the girls, Burler quickly texts Caspar -Targets located. Occupied. Good luck.-

I'm assuming I spot them as easily?
[roll0]

Inedible
2012-10-16, 07:27 PM
Well, so much for things being easy. Bartleby lingers around the outside of the shop, giving himself and Caspar to survey the area. “Let’s take a look at what’s inside, first. We might be waiting even longer.”

Before he steps in he digs a pokeball from his pocket and releases the creature inside. The Murkrow flutter around for a second, getting bearing before it flaps to perch gracefully on Bartleby’s shoulder. Then, into the shop he goes.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 07:48 PM
After spotting the girls, Burler quickly texts Caspar -Targets located. Occupied. Good luck.-

I'm assuming I spot them as easily?
[roll0]

Yep, they're not trying to be inconspicuous in any way. On the other hand...

During your scan of the crowd, you also notice a man wearing trench coat sitting a few rows behind Stephanie and Allison who's watching them a lot more intently than he's watching the battle between Zayir and Brent.


Well, so much for things being easy. Bartleby lingers around the outside of the shop, giving himself and Caspar to survey the area. “Let’s take a look at what’s inside, first. We might be waiting even longer.”

Before he steps in he digs a pokeball from his pocket and releases the creature inside. The Murkrow flutter around for a second, getting bearing before it flaps to perch gracefully on Bartleby’s shoulder. Then, into the shop he goes.

Your survey of the area reveals nothing that indicates it's anything other than a shop with lofted apartments above it.

The opening door rings a bell which gets the attention of the elderly shopkeeper behind the counter. "Good afternoon! Shopping or visiting?" he asks as if he's asked it a thousand times.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 07:58 PM
Burler slowly averts his gaze from the women and the man. No need to tip them off quite yet. He sends a text to all his allies. -Trench coat man watching the girls. Probably the reason our man isn't cooperating.

Inedible
2012-10-16, 08:11 PM
The opening door rings a bell which gets the attention of the elderly shopkeeper behind the counter. "Good afternoon! Shopping or visiting?" he asks as if he's asked it a thousand times.

"Just taking a look around, I'm thinking about entering a competition, so I thought I should start shopping around," He replies. "Is this Mr. Ross's shop?" He's wearing his best smile, stroking the bird on his shoulder as he goes. The Murkrow seems unimpressed. "

Wordplay
2012-10-16, 08:19 PM
Ok, no-one watching them. Occupied for now. Better sit tight and watch some of the battle. After all, might need to talk about it later.

Jack turns his eyes to the battle, but looks back at Allison and Stephanie every few moments.

HZ514
2012-10-16, 10:02 PM
"Just taking a look around, I'm thinking about entering a competition, so I thought I should start shopping around," He replies. "Is this Mr. Ross's shop?" He's wearing his best smile, stroking the bird on his shoulder as he goes. The Murkrow seems unimpressed. "

The man looks confused by your question. "What? This is my shop. Mr. Ross does upstairs with his family, if that's what you're asking." Since your two questions were so disjointed, he eyes you suspiciously. "What exactly are you looking to buy here today?"


Ok, no-one watching them. Occupied for now. Better sit tight and watch some of the battle. After all, might need to talk about it later.

Jack turns his eyes to the battle, but looks back at Allison and Stephanie every few moments.

In the battle, Zayir's Woobat was able to confuse Brent's Mareep, so now the poor Mareep is too busy hurting itself in confusion to fight back and it's on the verge of defeat. "Oh my! Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems Mr. Ellison's Mareep's mind is elsewhere! I'm afraid this next attack might just end this fight."

Zayir's Woobat fires another wave of psychic energy that causes the Mareep to crumple. The crowd gasps and sighs in sadness for the unsuccessful challenger. "I'm sorry, Mr. Ellison. Unfortunately, you were not able to earn your starter today. But it was a fantastic battle, wasn't it folks?" The crowd cheers at Zayir's encouragement. "I eagerly await your return for a second chance."

Brent is ushered off the field as another trainer, this one a girl, takes her spot on the stage.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 10:20 PM
These battles are slaughter. An exprienced, no. An expert battler using his own pokemon against an fresh faced child with a pokmemon they have never met before. Burler glances at the girls every once and a while, as well as the man, trying to get as much as he could without staring.

[roll0]

Inedible
2012-10-16, 10:30 PM
The man looks confused by your question. "What? This is my shop. Mr. Ross does upstairs with his family, if that's what you're asking." Since your two questions were so disjointed, he eyes you suspiciously. "What exactly are you looking to buy here today?"

“Oh, that’s what I meant, sorry.” Bartleby offers a sheepish smile toward the man, moving to examine a few of the items on the shelves after. He reaches out to pick out a yellow scarf, finding a mirror to hold it and the Murkrow in front of. The bird could care less.

“My father knows Mr. Ross,” Bartleby explains absently, “He recommended this shop, but I guess I got confused. I was hoping he’d be here so I could say hi.” The scarf is shaken out, and he adds, “This is pretty good, but do you have anything more…expensive? He only likes the best. It has to be really stylish.” When in doubt, distract with a potential sale.

I'M LYING. Rolled 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14062711&postcount=8) total for Charisma

planswalker
2012-10-16, 10:35 PM
Soon enough, the two of you find yourselves at 515 Veil Avenue. The Ross apartment is presumably somewhere upstairs, but the ground level of this particular building is some sort of Pokemon Contest shop. A neon OPEN sign hangs in the window along with various accessories on display.

Caspar will step to the side of the building and call out Dormi and have her go invisible and phase through the building and enter the second story. She is commanded to look upstairs and use hypnosis on anyone she finds.

That done, Caspar will enter the building and say, "Does Mrs Ross live here? She babysat me a couple of times growing up and I'd like to reconnect while I'm in town. She told me she lives at this address..."

HZ514
2012-10-16, 11:44 PM
These battles are slaughter. An exprienced, no. An expert battler using his own pokemon against an fresh faced child with a pokmemon they have never met before. Burler glances at the girls every once and a while, as well as the man, trying to get as much as he could without staring.

[roll0]

Zayir introduces this new challenger to the crowd.

"...Then without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let me present to you...Miss Celeste Noricen!" The audience cheers loudly.

Every time you glance at the females, they are intently watching the events unfold on the battlefield. However, the fourth time you look at the man, he's staring directly at you.

When your eyes meet, you suddenly hear a voice from inside your head: "See something you like?"


“Oh, that’s what I meant, sorry.” Bartleby offers a sheepish smile toward the man, moving to examine a few of the items on the shelves after. He reaches out to pick out a yellow scarf, finding a mirror to hold it and the Murkrow in front of. The bird could care less.

“My father knows Mr. Ross,” Bartleby explains absently, “He recommended this shop, but I guess I got confused. I was hoping he’d be here so I could say hi.” The scarf is shaken out, and he adds, “This is pretty good, but do you have anything more…expensive? He only likes the best. It has to be really stylish.” When in doubt, distract with a potential sale.

I'M LYING. Rolled 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14062711&postcount=8) total for Charisma

The man seems convinced by your lie and his attitude lightens further when you mention a potential purchase. "Oh! Well, excuse me for the confusion then. We do have some things too expensive to be on regular display...what might you have in mind?"


Caspar will step to the side of the building and call out Dormi and have her go invisible and phase through the building and enter the second story. She is commanded to look upstairs and use hypnosis on anyone she finds.

That done, Caspar will enter the building and say, "Does Mrs Ross live here? She babysat me a couple of times growing up and I'd like to reconnect while I'm in town. She told me she lives at this address..."

The shopkeeper nods to you to acknowledge your entrance. He's too busy trying to sell Bartleby something expensive to really care about your reason for asking about Mrs. Ross. He absentmindedly answers, "Yes, the Ross family lives upstairs," before turning his attention back to Bartleby.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-16, 11:53 PM
Yes actually, but I'm not sure you'd be interested.

Creep out factor! [roll0]

Wordplay
2012-10-17, 06:54 AM
Oblivious to the man in the trench coat, Jack watches the battle. In spite of himself, Jack feels a little let down when the challenger is defeated.

Even if I hate the League, it feels good when Xylo win. And its much more satisfying to watch a Leader get crushed than some snot nosed kid.

If I'd been battling, I wouldn't have let that Wobat get away without poisoning. Heh, that would show it.

Jack starts to think about how he'd have done if he'd faced the leader.

Psychic's good against poison. Found that out when that Spoink ambushed us in Elrem. Took out Buddy and Hugsy before I smashed a repel in its face. Flying's good against Bug... Judge it, that thing could probably wipe out my team.

It's a sobering thought.

Got to get some kind of counter against Psychic - maybe a dark type, or at least some Dark style moves...

Jack realises its been a little while since he checked on Allison and Stephanie, so he looks back to see their reactions at the trainer's defeat. Then he looks back at the arena to watch the Noricen girl.

Come to think of it, I should probably try and get that kid's number at some point. Do him a good turn, let him know there's other ways to be a trainer than the League. Better ways to be a trainer. I wonder who's in charge of recruitment?

Jack feels a warm glow with at the thought that he might, in a small way make the world a slightly better place.

Inedible
2012-10-17, 07:23 AM
The man seems convinced by your lie and his attitude lightens further when you mention a potential purchase. "Oh! Well, excuse me for the confusion then. We do have some things too expensive to be on regular display...what might you have in mind?"

"Let's see. How about some sunglass? I think he'd like those." Bartleby continues looking, adding, "By the way, how long have you known Mr. Ross and his family? Do you think he'll be back soon, I was hoping to say hello."

When Caspar enters he turns to glance over at the other man, making a subtle twitch of his head toward the backmost door.

planswalker
2012-10-17, 07:56 AM
If he can find his way up without bothering the clerk, Caspar will do so. If not, he asks her for directions then proceeds to do so.

HZ514
2012-10-17, 05:36 PM
Yes actually, but I'm not sure you'd be interested.

Creep out factor! [roll0]

The man's face remains expressionless as your attempt to creep him out has no effect. Wrong. Try again.


Oblivious to the man in the trench coat, Jack watches the battle. In spite of himself, Jack feels a little let down when the challenger is defeated.

Even if I hate the League, it feels good when Xylo win. And its much more satisfying to watch a Leader get crushed than some snot nosed kid.

If I'd been battling, I wouldn't have let that Wobat get away without poisoning. Heh, that would show it.

Jack starts to think about how he'd have done if he'd faced the leader.

Psychic's good against poison. Found that out when that Spoink ambushed us in Elrem. Took out Buddy and Hugsy before I smashed a repel in its face. Flying's good against Bug... Judge it, that thing could probably wipe out my team.

It's a sobering thought.

Got to get some kind of counter against Psychic - maybe a dark type, or at least some Dark style moves...

Jack realises its been a little while since he checked on Allison and Stephanie, so he looks back to see their reactions at the trainer's defeat. Then he looks back at the arena to watch the Noricen girl.

Come to think of it, I should probably try and get that kid's number at some point. Do him a good turn, let him know there's other ways to be a trainer than the League. Better ways to be a trainer. I wonder who's in charge of recruitment?

Jack feels a warm glow with at the thought that he might, in a small way make the world a slightly better place.

The recently defeated boy just now trudges into the common spectating arena, looking quite downtrodden as he watches the rest of the battles.


"Let's see. How about some sunglass? I think he'd like those." Bartleby continues looking, adding, "By the way, how long have you known Mr. Ross and his family? Do you think he'll be back soon, I was hoping to say hello."

When Caspar enters he turns to glance over at the other man, making a subtle twitch of his head toward the backmost door.

"Oh, you want some sunglasses? Here we go..." He says as he pulls something a pair of fancy shades from behind the counter. "Premium, top of the line. Wrath where's these, for goodness' sake!

And I've known them for years now, they're perfectly loyal tenants. Get their rent in on time, make no trouble to speak of. He's at work so he won't be back until around dinnertime."


If he can find his way up without bothering the clerk, Caspar will do so. If not, he asks her for directions then proceeds to do so.

The clerk is so enthralled with showing Bartleby sunglasses that you can slip by completely unnoticed. Walking up the stairs, you come across the bodies of a couple slumped over, asleep. Your Gastly appears out of the wall with a wicked grin.

A quick scan of Ross's file will tell you that he lives in apartment 303. That would be two flights up from the ground floor and the second door on your left once you exit the stairway. You can make it there uninterrupted.

Wordplay
2012-10-17, 06:13 PM
Reluctantly Jack shifts his gaze away from the young trainer.

That's probably one for another day. Wait 'til I know how things work at Ostra before I jump right in. Poor kid.

Jack looks back at the Ross family, then sneaks a glance at Burler to see how he's doing.

If I'm allowed it, another WIS check [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-17, 07:21 PM
Fine if you must know, I just thought a man in a trench coat indoors was odd and didn't want to offend you. That's all.

If you fail once, cast Glibness! But I'm not a Bard and this isn't DnD so.... [roll0]

Inedible
2012-10-17, 07:30 PM
"I see," Bartleby replies. "When does the shop close? I was thinking of waiting, but that seems like a long time. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow." While he considers that he moves to set his Murkrow down on the counter. "Oh-those are nice! Can he try them on?" More stalling and digging, for now.

HZ514
2012-10-17, 08:03 PM
Reluctantly Jack shifts his gaze away from the young trainer.

That's probably one for another day. Wait 'til I know how things work at Ostra before I jump right in. Poor kid.

Jack looks back at the Ross family, then sneaks a glance at Burler to see how he's doing.

If I'm allowed it, another WIS check [roll0]

The Ross family is still watching Celeste battle Zayir and cheering enthusiastically. When you glance at Burler, nothing seems amiss whatsoever.


Fine if you must know, I just thought a man in a trench coat indoors was odd and didn't want to offend you. That's all.

If you fail once, cast Glibness! But I'm not a Bard and this isn't DnD so.... [roll0]

The mysterious man buys your explanation but doesn't care. He's not exactly the trusting type. Is that the case? Well, that's fascinating, because I think a man writhing around in pain is pretty odd.

You have a moment to ponder what he means by that, then an unbearable pain tears through your mind!

Extrasensory!
AC 2 (12)
Damage: (30, both from OOC)

I suggest you leave. Now.


"I see," Bartleby replies. "When does the shop close? I was thinking of waiting, but that seems like a long time. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow." While he considers that he moves to set his Murkrow down on the counter. "Oh-those are nice! Can he try them on?" More stalling and digging, for now.

"We're open until seven, Mr. Ross should be back by then." the clerk replies. "Those! Well, don't you have quite the eye for fashion. Of course, let me know if you'd like other colors or sizes."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-17, 08:10 PM
GAH! Fine you little mukker! I was just trying to spare your feeling! Arcues Judge it. Try to do something nice for a guy and he zaps you. Burler makes his way out of the arena, lingering just long enough to see the next competitor's choice. Once he's outside he calls Jack.

We have each other's numbers, stop screening my calls! HZ even said so!

Inedible
2012-10-17, 08:42 PM
"Hmm. Maybe that's not quite the style." And so Bartleby spends a few minutes fussing around, eventually settling on a pair of glasses slightly less expensive, but still enough to make the sale worthwhile. He's willing to spend around 500 poke on the endeavor, as much as it pains him.

While he does that he continues to chat with the shopkeeper, finishing his purchase and leaning closer to speak in lower tones. "Ah-This is a little embaressing to ask, but. You said Mr. Ross is a good tentant? My father says he's a nice man, but he said he was having money trouble. Or, he had some sort of problem. That's not really true, is it? He's doing ok?" He does his best to sound terribly concerned about this.

planswalker
2012-10-17, 09:09 PM
The clerk is so enthralled with showing Bartleby sunglasses that you can slip by completely unnoticed. Walking up the stairs, you come across the bodies of a couple slumped over, asleep. Your Gastly appears out of the wall with a wicked grin.

A quick scan of Ross's file will tell you that he lives in apartment 303. That would be two flights up from the ground floor and the second door on your left once you exit the stairway. You can make it there uninterrupted.

Caspar will have Dormi phase through the floor and follow underneath his feet as he heads up to their apartment. He will knock on their door.

Wordplay
2012-10-18, 09:44 AM
The battered, old mobile in Jack's pocket starts vibrating.

Man, I thought that I'd turned it off. Good thing it's only on vibrate. I'll change the sim card again after this - don't want to be traced.

Jack answer the phone, quietly and whispers.

'Hello?'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-18, 09:52 AM
It's Burler. There is a man in a trenchcoat watching our marks. Be careful. He is a psychic and irritable. Avoid viewing them directly. I am outside, I will try to screen and see if they try to leave.

Wordplay
2012-10-18, 01:42 PM
'Understood'. Jack replies.

Don't think about Psychics. Don't think about Psychics. Thinks Jack desperately.

Jack looks up at the ceiling intently, then shifts his gaze back to the battles in the stadium, trying to focus on them instead.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 01:54 PM
"Hmm. Maybe that's not quite the style." And so Bartleby spends a few minutes fussing around, eventually settling on a pair of glasses slightly less expensive, but still enough to make the sale worthwhile. He's willing to spend around 500 poke on the endeavor, as much as it pains him.

While he does that he continues to chat with the shopkeeper, finishing his purchase and leaning closer to speak in lower tones. "Ah-This is a little embaressing to ask, but. You said Mr. Ross is a good tentant? My father says he's a nice man, but he said he was having money trouble. Or, he had some sort of problem. That's not really true, is it? He's doing ok?" He does his best to sound terribly concerned about this.

The clerk listens intently to your question, then makes a face like he's thinking for a moment before answering, "Mr. Ross isn't having any money trouble that I know of. He paid last month's rent on time, but of course housing tends to be one of the last things one sacrifices even in hard times, so I wouldn't know if he was having some financial issues."


Caspar will have Dormi phase through the floor and follow underneath his feet as he heads up to their apartment. He will knock on their door.

No one answers the door. As time passes, not a sound can be heard coming form inside. The apartment is apparently empty.


'Understood'. Jack replies.

Don't think about Psychics. Don't think about Psychics. Thinks Jack desperately.

Jack looks up at the ceiling intently, then shifts his gaze back to the battles in the stadium, trying to focus on them instead.

You fortunately have not caught the psychic's attention, but your strange behavior does prompt the random citizen behind you to ask, "Sir, are you alright?"

In the battle, it looks like Celeste is in pretty good shape as her Magnemite gains the upper hand from absorbing electricity from the battlefield floor.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 02:07 PM
Caspar will send Dormi through the door while invisible and intangible and has her re-materialize on the other side and unlock and open the door.

Assuming all that goes off without a hitch, Caspar will open the door and say, "Mrs Ross? Hey, it's me, Boris! Just stopped by in town and thought I'd catch up with you since I moved away. Mind if I come in?" After pausing for a second, he'll say "Thank you, ma'am." as he enters.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 02:34 PM
Caspar will send Dormi through the door while invisible and intangible and has her re-materialize on the other side and unlock and open the door.

Assuming all that goes off without a hitch, Caspar will open the door and say, "Mrs Ross? Hey, it's me, Boris! Just stopped by in town and thought I'd catch up with you since I moved away. Mind if I come in?" After pausing for a second, he'll say "Thank you, ma'am." as he enters.

You successfully enter the Ross's apartment without incident. Once inside, you notice the faint beeping of the alarm system control panel just to the right of the doorway. There is a keypad and a steadily flashing green light.

Inedible
2012-10-18, 02:44 PM
"I see." Bartleby considers that, and then smiles again. "Alright, well, thank you. Maybe I'll check back in later. We live pretty close by." He pays for everything, gets a bag, and then moves to step outside.

While he does that he removes his phone, sending a quick text message to Caspar above: Inspect apartment. Shop closes at 6:00. Let me in after. I'm outside.

He glances out the shop's window, searching for an inconspicuous place to linger. A cafe, a bus stop, anything of the sort.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 02:45 PM
Caspar will look up the security code and put in 1-2-1-8.

[roll0] - now irrelevant.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 03:10 PM
"I see." Bartleby considers that, and then smiles again. "Alright, well, thank you. Maybe I'll check back in later. We live pretty close by." He pays for everything, gets a bag, and then moves to step outside.

While he does that he removes his phone, sending a quick text message to Caspar above: Inspect apartment. Shop closes at 6:00. Let me in after. I'm outside.

He glances out the shop's window, searching for an inconspicuous place to linger. A cafe, a bus stop, anything of the sort.

"Sounds good. Shall I let Mr. Ross know that you stopped by, Mr...?" he fades away, implied to be asking for your name.

From the shop's window, you can see a bustling cafe named "Cliff's Contest Chow" across the street. Two buildings down from there is a smallish nondescript coffee house.


Caspar will look up the security code and put in 1-2-1-8.

[roll0] - now irrelevant.

With the correct code entered, the beeping stops and the flashing green light becomes a steady green light. A mechanical voice says, "Welcome home." Inside, you find yourself in the living room area with sofas and a large television. The kitchen is to the right and presumably the bedrooms are down a hallway to the left. Windows on the far wall behind the television overlook the street below.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 03:17 PM
Caspar will begin with a cursory examination of each room to help him get the scope of the place.

Wordplay
2012-10-18, 03:39 PM
<cough>

'Yeah, thanks, sorry. Bit of a headache coming on'.

OK, probably hasn't noticed me yet-which means we've a chance to jump him. I won't look for him, just watch the contest, and then Burler or I can get the drop on him.

Jack texts Burler.

We need the Psychic out the way. Do u think u can take him 1-on-1 after the battles?

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-18, 03:42 PM
-Fair fight? Sure, no problem. He has no qualms attacking strangers, and I'm not sure how well I'd do in open combat. Not to mention the attention we'd draw.- Burler thinks for a bit, then sends another text. -Try to keep an eye on them, but be subtle as possible. Scan the crowd, don't even stop on them. When they get up to leave, tail them. I'll try to start a conversation with Mr. Trenchcoat, stall him. You catch up with the girls, pretend to be a protector, telling them about their stalker. Book it.

Wordplay
2012-10-18, 05:00 PM
Jack reads the text from Burler, and thinks for a second. Then Jack texts Burler back.

Gd plan - will do. Will text others.

Then Jack texts Caspar.

Hve family under watch. They hve a psychic watching them. He spotted Burler. Burler will take him out, and I'll try and befriend Ross family. What's your plan? How much time do you need?

planswalker
2012-10-18, 05:27 PM
Caspar will text back: In their home. Will catch them here if your plan falls through.

Wordplay
2012-10-18, 05:48 PM
Jack reads the text, then sends Caspar his reply.

OK. So do we take the family hostage then talk to the guy?Also, watch out for Psychic. Might have friends.

Jack turns his attention back to the gym battle.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 05:56 PM
If you do your job, let me know. We'll meet up back at HQ. If not, I'll assume the psychic killed you and I'll catch them when they are at their most vulnerable.

Wordplay
2012-10-18, 06:34 PM
Huh. That's a bit tough.

Jack texts back.

Understood. If you see me with them, pretend you don't know me. Don't be afraid to take me captive.

Jack watches the battles, occasionally scanning the crowd, but trying not to focus on anyone. Jack waits until either the targets or the Psychic get up to leave, or until the end of the final battle (but just before everyone gets up to leave).

HZ514
2012-10-18, 07:08 PM
Caspar will begin with a cursory examination of each room to help him get the scope of the place.

Your first glance through the place reveals nothing especially interesting or useful. There are two bedrooms: master bedroom for the man and wife, smaller bedroom for the daughter. The kitchen is well stocked, with a particular emphasis on spicy foods. The bathroom is tidy. On the coffee table in the living room is a notebook labeled "Hatch Dates" that has entries dated for when specific Pokemon hatched. They're all nicknames though, so you can't tell what species they would be.

All in all, it looks like a typical living space for a one-child family. The only thing of note is the computer in the master bedroom. If you activate it, a screen pops up asking you for the password.


Huh. That's a bit tough.

Jack texts back.

Understood. If you see me with them, pretend you don't know me. Don't be afraid to take me captive.

Jack watches the battles, occasionally scanning the crowd, but trying not to focus on anyone. Jack waits until either the targets or the Psychic get up to leave, or until the end of the final battle (but just before everyone gets up to leave).

Celeste wins her battle! There is a large uproar and Zayir encourages the audience to cheer for her as loudly as possible. The next combatant, a pudgy boy, steps up and starts the process all over.

This is the last battle, but we'll let Caspar dig around a bit before advancing to the end of it since I want the timeline to be consistent and, y'know, he just might find something.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 07:18 PM
Caspar will look through his dossier to see if his password is included.

If not, he'll start with guessing the daughter's name.

Inedible
2012-10-18, 07:27 PM
"Oh, no, that's okay. Don't worry about it!" And, once he has his glasses, Bartleby scuttles along along.

"Krow." The pokemon on his shoulder, now with stylish shades, preens itself in satisfaction. Bartleby gives it just a pat on it's side before the bird is returned to its ball.

His part done for now, he heads to the Cliff's Cafe to find a drink and park himself in a seat where he can watch the shop.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 08:55 PM
Caspar will look through his dossier to see if his password is included.

If not, he'll start with guessing the daughter's name.

The computer informs you that the daughter's name is not the correct password.

The dossier does not include Ross's computer password, but it does have a standard section labeled "Likely Passwords" which reads:

- Child's name & variants
- Significant other's name & variants
- Pet's name
- Important birthdays
- Names/items of religious significance
- Hometown
- Favorite Pokemon

*Did you try "password" yet?
**If at first you don't succeed, Capitalize First Letters!

If you want to type something specific that I haven't given you, but it would entirely make sense for it to be in the file, just say something like "Caspar types the name of Ross's hometown"


"Oh, no, that's okay. Don't worry about it!" And, once he has his glasses, Bartleby scuttles along along.

"Krow." The pokemon on his shoulder, now with stylish shades, preens itself in satisfaction. Bartleby gives it just a pat on it's side before the bird is returned to its ball.

His part done for now, he heads to the Cliff's Cafe to find a drink and park himself in a seat where he can watch the shop.

You find a seat with a good view of the shop, and a waitress brings you your drink shortly.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 09:14 PM
Caspar has Dormi watch the door as he tries all the suggested items on the list, as well as hometown, combinations of wife and child, each one's name with their birthday, and the evee's name and hatch date.

Failing that, Caspar will look to see if there's a backdoor he can find [roll0]

HZ514
2012-10-18, 09:29 PM
Caspar has Dormi watch the door as he tries all the suggested items on the list, as well as hometown, combinations of wife and child, each one's name with their birthday, and the evee's name and hatch date.

Failing that, Caspar will look to see if there's a backdoor he can find [roll0]

You're able to cross-reference the Eevee's name (Sparkles) with the list of names in the hatch-date log from the living room and enter the correct password (May23).

The computer logs you in to Ross's account and you see that a window was left open when he locked his computer last. It is an email exchange between him and someone named "F. Ural" and the most recent message, from Ross to F. Ural, reads "Just use your mental mumbo jumbo to make sure my wife and child are safe. Ostra will come after me eventually, and I don't want them caught in the crossfire."

planswalker
2012-10-18, 09:41 PM
Caspar will look through the older emails by this "F. Ural" to try to learn the nature of their relationship and what exactly he's been promised in order to abandon Ostra. If he can learn more about "F. Ural" himself, that'd be nice too.

He'll send Bartleby a text: There's a psychic by the name of Ural who has been set to guard detail for wife and kids. Try to either separate him from them or take him out.

While he's at it, he'll send an email to Ostra HQ detailing what he's learned so far.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 09:59 PM
Scanning back through Ross's emails to and from Ural, you learn that Ural is more or less an independent mercenary who responded to a discreet advertisement Ross placed in underground channels for "No questions asked protection" a few weeks ago. It mentions how much Ural is being paid (2500/day, quite a steep price) and it's clear that Ural is only doing the job for the money. It's also clear that Ross has enlisted Ural's help without his wife or daughter's knowledge or consent.

There is no trail, in Ross's emails or elsewhere on the computer, about why Ross has cut ties with Ostra.

Inedible
2012-10-18, 10:10 PM
Psychic is the problem. We buy him or we bring his body to Ross. Family is secondary. Follow him.

Bartleby sends that off to the rest of the team and settles in to wait. And chat up the waitress, just to pass the time.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 10:10 PM
Leon will transmit this to Bartleby and set about reformatting the hard drive.

After that, he'll leave a note on the monitor, written in a scrawling hand:

"This is the first."

With Dormi watching his back, Caspar will look through the house to see if there is anything of value left about.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-18, 10:16 PM
-I've got 3k, though might need more to entice him. Dibs on burning him alive.-

planswalker
2012-10-18, 10:19 PM
I'll see how much I can loot from the house to add to that sum. Let the others know.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 10:48 PM
Psychic is the problem. We buy him or we bring his body to Ross. Family is secondary. Follow him.

Bartleby sends that off to the rest of the team and settles in to wait. And chat up the waitress, just to pass the time.

The waitress is an aspiring Beauty contest participant who goes on and on about something or other related to beautiful Pokemon.


Leon will transmit this to Bartleby and set about reformatting the hard drive.

After that, he'll leave a note on the monitor, written in a scrawling hand:

"This is the first."

With Dormi watching his back, Caspar will look through the house to see if there is anything of value left about.

You successfully format the hard drive. It didn't look like Ross was savvy enough to keep a backup anymore, so you probably just royally screwed him!

Your search through the house reveals the standard array of valuables: wife's jewelry on the dresser, somewhat fancy-looking china in the cabinet, and some loose cash totally 250 Poke lying around. A second sweep of the daughter's room reveals a syringe containing some orange serum hidden underneath her bed. It's a TM!

planswalker
2012-10-18, 11:08 PM
Caspar will pocket the jewelry, money, and tm. The china he will destroy in a pile on the kitchen table with another note: "This is the second"

He'll then search the girls' room for any special belongings to mark as "third".

HZ514
2012-10-18, 11:15 PM
You find Stephanie's diary ("Personal. KEEP OUT!") hidden behind an innocuous stack of schoolbooks. You also find a scrapbook with pictures and cute captions from throughout Stephanie's childhood.

While extremely violating this girl's privacy, you also find a rolled-up wad of cash amounting to 1000 poke hidden in her underwear drawer...are you proud of yourself?

planswalker
2012-10-18, 11:27 PM
He loots the cash and strews the underwear all over her bed, tears out the journal pages, and adds them on top. He'll tear out a blank page from the journal to write "This is third." on it.

He almost feels guilty about doing this to the poor girl, but this world is a hard, ugly place. If losing some inanimate objects can wake her up to that truth now, she'll be better able to protect the things that truly matter to her.

He'll take the scrapbook in case he needs some more ammo later.

That done, he will cook himself a meal in their kitchen. He's got no special talents for this, but the results are usually edible.

HZ514
2012-10-18, 11:39 PM
You're able to whip up a totally edible mean from the contents of the Ross's kitchen. Gym battles from across Wuhtu would be broadcasted on TV now, if you'd like to stay a while and entertain yourself with that.

Meanwhile, back at the Xylo Gym...

"Oh! I'm deeply sorry, Horace, but it looks like you fell just a bit short today...ah, and for the third time too, I'm afraid Folks, can we get a round of applause for this young gentleman giving it his best shot?"

The pudgy boy is unable to contain his emotions, and breaks down crying. He runs out of the gym in full freak-out mode, and a woman who's probably his mother goes waddling out after him.

"Well, that is just so very disheartening to see that. We all send Horace the best, I'm sure. But! That does conclude today's starter battles here in Xylo. Thank you all for coming out to cheer on our contestants!" The crowd erupts in cheers. Zayir bows and then addresses a certain someone specifically. "Miss Ross, I believe you wanted to see me. Please, follow me to my office."

"Yay! See you at home, Mom," Stephanie says as she jumps up and follows Zayir backstage. The mother waves goodbye to her daughter and then pulls out her cell phone to call someone. The rest of the audience is slowly filing out, though some people do linger and talk about the day's events.

planswalker
2012-10-18, 11:42 PM
Caspar will turn on the tv to the gym matches while fixing cheese sandwiches for himself, his teammates, and the family. He means to play host when they arrive.

Wordplay
2012-10-19, 07:47 AM
Now that one's a definite lock. thinks Jack as Horace runs out.

Then Nononono!

Jack curses under his breath.

- Trgts separ8ing :O Daughter going to Gym leader. Which one should I tail?

Jack sends it to the rest of the team.

Meanwhile, Jack tries to spot whether the Psychic follows Allison or Stephanie.

WIS [roll0]

planswalker
2012-10-19, 08:19 AM
Follow whichever one the psychic is tailing. Have your partner follow the other. The bodyguard isn't aware of you yet.

Wordplay
2012-10-19, 08:38 AM
Jack remains in his seat.

-Gd idea, but not sure which one he's following Jack texts back to Caspar.

Texting at a furious speed, Jack sends to Burler -Mothr goin daughtr stayin. I'll w8 for daughtr - you tail mothr. Whichever of us spots the Psychic, call other one for backup.

Jack glances around nervously for the Psychic

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-19, 09:10 AM
-Psychic recognizes me. Figure out which he tails, I'll follow him. I'm ready for some pay back.-

HZ514
2012-10-19, 01:25 PM
Caspar will turn on the tv to the gym matches while fixing cheese sandwiches for himself, his teammates, and the family. He means to play host when they arrive.

The television turns on to a channel showing the battles in Port Tidings. A boy's Oshawott is battling Leia's Cubchoo at the moment.


Now that one's a definite lock. thinks Jack as Horace runs out.

Then Nononono!

Jack curses under his breath.

- Trgts separ8ing :O Daughter going to Gym leader. Which one should I tail?

Jack sends it to the rest of the team.

Meanwhile, Jack tries to spot whether the Psychic follows Allison or Stephanie.

WIS [roll0]
(Didn't need a spot check since you know what he looks like)
The Psychic stays with Allison, who finishes up her call and makes her way toward the exit.

Inedible
2012-10-19, 02:43 PM
Just observe unless you're sure can take him quietly. They should all be coming to the house eventually. Then we'll all be here. Don't take anyone until he's dealt with.

Bartleby sends that off before he returns to watching.

Talkin' to girls roll: [roll0]
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wrkiAm621r53r8ko3_500.gif

Wordplay
2012-10-19, 04:45 PM
Jack reads Caspar's text.

Then, looking up briefly Jack spots the Psychic following Mrs Ross out of the Gym. Jack's torn for a moment. Then he gets up, and starts following the Psychic.

As he walks, he quickly texts Burler -Chge of plan. I'm tailin Psy & Mrs R owt. U either fllw or wait 4 girl. C says tail only.

Jack follows the Psychic and Mrs Ross, keeping an eye on them. Whilst he's doing this, Jack deletes all his texts. Then Jack looks to see whether he can release one of his mon without attracting attention.

planswalker
2012-10-19, 05:35 PM
After watching the oshawatt-cubchoo match, he'll remember a detail he'd forgotten: he takes out the batteries in all the fire alarms and flushes them.

Don't trust that pyro not to set them off. he thinks.

HZ514
2012-10-19, 07:21 PM
Just observe unless you're sure can take him quietly. They should all be coming to the house eventually. Then we'll all be here. Don't take anyone until he's dealt with.

Bartleby sends that off before he returns to watching.

Talkin' to girls roll: [roll0]
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wrkiAm621r53r8ko3_500.gif

You totally creep the girl out and she wants nothing to do with you.


Jack reads Caspar's text.

Then, looking up briefly Jack spots the Psychic following Mrs Ross out of the Gym. Jack's torn for a moment. Then he gets up, and starts following the Psychic.

As he walks, he quickly texts Burler -Chge of plan. I'm tailin Psy & Mrs R owt. U either fllw or wait 4 girl. C says tail only.

Jack follows the Psychic and Mrs Ross, keeping an eye on them. Whilst he's doing this, Jack deletes all his texts. Then Jack looks to see whether he can release one of his mon without attracting attention.

You release your Pokemon without attracting any attention; it's a perfectly normal thing to do. You tail Allison and Ural as they make their way through the city, you following him following her. Mrs. Ross's first stop is a large shopping center a few blocks away. She runs into someone she knows at the jewelry section and they start having an animated conversation, during which Mrs. Ross pulls out her phone and makes a call.


After watching the oshawatt-cubchoo match, he'll remember a detail he'd forgotten: he takes out the batteries in all the fire alarms and flushes them.

Don't trust that pyro not to set them off. he thinks.

The battle ends rather abruptly--the Oshawott strikes a devastating blow on the already-injured Cubchoo, causing it to begin convulsing. Leia freaks out and runs the dying Pokemon toward the Center, screaming at the cameraman to stop recording. The feed cuts out and the station switches over to a battle in Wrystone where a girl's Oddish is battling Halle's Bellsprout.

You're able to remove the batteries without incident. Suddenly, the phone rings!

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-19, 07:27 PM
-Please spell you words, you sound like a twit.- Burler heads back into the gym, hoping to spot the girl when she leaves, to tail her.

Wordplay
2012-10-19, 08:01 PM
Jack releases Sting.

'Hey Sting mon'.

Jack stares seriously into Sting's inhuman eyes, seeing his reflection in the expressionless read orbs.

'We've got a job to do. See that guy in the trench coat? Fly high above the crowds, and keep him in sight. If I lose him, follow him, then come back to me at this address, and tell me where he went'.

Jack gives Sting the Ross' address.

'Stay out of sight, and be careful - he's a Psychic'.

Jack continues to tail the Psychic and Allison Ross. As Mrs Ross chats to the person at the jeweller's Jack tries to snap pictures with his phone. One of the Psychic, and one of the person that Mrs Ross is talking to.

Jack takes a second. Hopefully I'm close enough to the Psychic for this to work.

Jack breathes in quietly, then holds his breath and closes his eyes. When he opens them again, everything looks subtly different.

Jack feels with alien senses, looking for a strange resonance, halfway between touch and sight, trying to sense if the Psychic has any poison pokemon on him, or whether there are any poison pokemon about.

Type soul - poison. 15meters, don't know if it works through Pokeballs. Know it's static, sorry if I got a bit carried away with the fluff. The idea is that Jack's trying to concentrate on the sense Type soul gives him.

You feel bound to that Elemental Type, but are not obligated to only use that type. You can sense Pokemon of that type nearby; 5-meters multiplied by your CON modifier. You can also sense that Type in Movesets of pokemon; 5-meters multiplied by your CON modifier.

planswalker
2012-10-19, 10:23 PM
The battle ends rather abruptly--the Oshawott strikes a devastating blow on the already-injured Cubchoo, causing it to begin convulsing. Leia freaks out and runs the dying Pokemon toward the Center, screaming at the cameraman to stop recording. The feed cuts out and the station switches over to a battle in Wrystone where a girl's Oddish is battling Halle's Bellsprout.

You're able to remove the batteries without incident. Suddenly, the phone rings!

He'll not answer and go hide in the wife's closet. He'll have Dormi keep watch for him.

HZ514
2012-10-20, 10:18 PM
-Please spell you words, you sound like a twit.- Burler heads back into the gym, hoping to spot the girl when she leaves, to tail her.

The girl is nowhere to be found, but now that the starter battles have wound down, normal gym trainers have retaken their usual spots around Xylo's gym. One teenage guy shouts to you when he sees you walk in. "Ay-yo buddy-boy! Wanna test yaself against summa us?"


Jack releases Sting.

'Hey Sting mon'.

Jack stares seriously into Sting's inhuman eyes, seeing his reflection in the expressionless read orbs.

'We've got a job to do. See that guy in the trench coat? Fly high above the crowds, and keep him in sight. If I lose him, follow him, then come back to me at this address, and tell me where he went'.

Jack gives Sting the Ross' address.

'Stay out of sight, and be careful - he's a Psychic'.

Jack continues to tail the Psychic and Allison Ross. As Mrs Ross chats to the person at the jeweller's Jack tries to snap pictures with his phone. One of the Psychic, and one of the person that Mrs Ross is talking to.

Jack takes a second. Hopefully I'm close enough to the Psychic for this to work.

Jack breathes in quietly, then holds his breath and closes his eyes. When he opens them again, everything looks subtly different.

Jack feels with alien senses, looking for a strange resonance, halfway between touch and sight, trying to sense if the Psychic has any poison pokemon on him, or whether there are any poison pokemon about.

Type soul - poison. 15meters, don't know if it works through Pokeballs. Know it's static, sorry if I got a bit carried away with the fluff. The idea is that Jack's trying to concentrate on the sense Type soul gives him.

You feel bound to that Elemental Type, but are not obligated to only use that type. You can sense Pokemon of that type nearby; 5-meters multiplied by your CON modifier. You can also sense that Type in Movesets of pokemon; 5-meters multiplied by your CON modifier.

There are various poison types in Pokeballs all around you in the crowd, but the psychic does not have any poison Pokemon on him specifically.

Mrs. Ross hangs up the phone after saying something you can't hear and continues on her way up some escalators to the home decor section. You see her round a corner, followed by the psychic. When you turn that corner, you can see Mrs. Ross perusing some ceramic pots, but the psychic is nowhere to be seen!


He'll not answer and go hide in the wife's closet. He'll have Dormi keep watch for him.

The phone rings four times then clicks, followed by the answering machine message. It's some generic cutesy message from the Ross family. When it's done, the person on the other end of the line starts speaking.

"Hey hun, just checking if you were home. Steph's off being a trainer and you're at work I guess so I'm just going to spend the day shopping. See you at home tonight!"

Dormi lets you know it's all clear if you'd like to come out of the closet.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-20, 10:23 PM
Burler stares at the kid for moment, considering his options. Might as well kill some time, he can always bail if he spots her again. Sure, how bout 2v2, ^1000k wager?

HZ514
2012-10-20, 10:45 PM
Burler stares at the kid for moment, considering his options. Might as well kill some time, he can always bail if he spots her again. Sure, how bout 2v2, ^1000k wager?

The boy thumbs his nose. "Well, awright, I ain't ever been one to turn away charity, ya dig?" He motions for you to follow him to a training battlefield and shouts out to the others, "We gotta live one, boys and girls! Gather 'round!"

The rest of the trainers there walk over to watch as you and the boy take your designated spots. He sends out a Magnemite and says, "By the way, mah name's Kyle!"

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtZsssa3c8PJdGkydTRVWnZwYkxmemNiNnRuMnZ3c Hc#gid=0)! The khaki-colored squares are where you can release your 'mon, and the Magnemite's speed is 7. By the way, keep in mind that during league battles trainers can't fight directly, so no molotov cocktail flinging for you :smalltongue:

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-20, 10:51 PM
Burler smirks, scanning the steel type. Big mistake. Fleur de Fue, do this quickly. Ember.

Fluer the Vulpix at G11
[roll0] AC 2 Special Fire, burn on 18-20
[roll1]

HZ514
2012-10-20, 11:02 PM
Burler smirks, scanning the steel type. Big mistake. Fleur de Fue, do this quickly. Ember.

Fluer the Vulpix at G11
[roll0] AC 2 Special Fire, burn on 18-20
[roll1]

Kyle's eyes widen when he sees your Vulpix and his Magnemite doesn't even have a chance to begin the fight before the blaze of fire burns it out. "Fond of fire, are ya? Well, I got just the thing for that!"

Kyle returns his Magnemite and sends out a Chinchou that glows particularly bright. "Time for some revenge, ya dig?

The Chinchou hops forward a few times and lands on the closest tile cackling with electricity. The energy courses through it, and sparks start flying off of the Chinchou! It launches a stream of bubbles at your Vulpix.

Bubble!
AC 2 [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-20, 11:10 PM
Fluer is sturdier than that, Kyle. And I know my preferences has weaknesses, but anything will fall to flames if they are hot enough. Fluer, go. The Vulpix dashes forward, dodging the electricity and spikes, before firing another Ember.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Then, when the Chinchou tries to retailiate. Fluer, strike now!

[roll2] AC 2 PHysical Normal
[roll3]

planswalker
2012-10-20, 11:19 PM
Caspar extricates himself from the wardrobe and sit near the front door with the platter of sandwiches next to him.

On a whim, he'll grab three journal pages off the bed and read through them.

Wordplay
2012-10-21, 07:56 AM
As soon as he loses sight of the Psychic Jack looks straight behind himself.

He's probably seen me, and he's about to jump me. Ah well, here goes nothing.

Jack walks up to where Mrs Ross is looking at the pots, and pretends to look at pots as well. Then, when Jack is next to her he whispers

'Excuse me, miss? Don't look around, keep looking at the pots and pretend you don't hear me. I think you're in danger and I'm here to help. I was at the Gym match, and I thought I saw someone's following you out - a creepy guy in a trench-coat'.

Spot the Psychic: WIS check [roll0]
Bluff Mrs Ross : CHA check [roll1]
(Most of it's true of course, but being there to help is not)

HZ514
2012-10-21, 12:38 PM
Fluer is sturdier than that, Kyle. And I know my preferences has weaknesses, but anything will fall to flames if they are hot enough. Fluer, go. The Vulpix dashes forward, dodging the electricity and spikes, before firing another Ember.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Then, when the Chinchou tries to retailiate. Fluer, strike now!

[roll2] AC 2 PHysical Normal
[roll3]

The flames navigate their way through the electricity and find their target, which recoils just a bit as a result. "Hah! Looks ta me like ya flames ain't hot enough! Finish it of--WHOA!" Kyle shouts as Fluer gets another blow in before the Chinchou can act. This blow does seem to put a dent in the thing. "Well, mah Chinchou's pretty sturdy as well. Now finish it off!"

The Chinchou, sparks still flying off of it, sprays a blast of bubbles point blank at your Vulpix.

Bubble!
AC 2 [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]


Caspar extricates himself from the wardrobe and sit near the front door with the platter of sandwiches next to him.

On a whim, he'll grab three journal pages off the bed and read through them.


Winter break is awesome! No more having to wake up before the Starly...I slept until noon today! Jenny and I went to go watch a cool contest. The winner's Jolteon was SO COOL! I wonder if he has a girlfriend...I think his name was Pete? I'm going to marry someone cool like that.


WOW! Just watched an Elite Four run by a girl named Leslie. She tore through Wither and Hawk and beat Heart at her own game. She struggled with Storm for a bit but she pulled through. Then she had to go battle Wrath. Gosh, I wonder what that's like...she went in looking so confident. The commentators just show highlights of the last few battles since they can't show the battle with Wrath. When they cut away to her walking back out...I've never seen someone look so hopeless. I feel so bad for her. Poor girl. Said she was going to get her revenge...seemed serious.

In happier news, Pete and I are celebrating our two month anniversary tomorrow! We'd better go somewhere fancy.

The next journal entry would have been written exactly a week ago.


I BEAT ZAYIR!!!

Phew. That was so intense and awesome and oh my God I am so happy. I'm totally going back next week to watch the next group of trainers. I'm going to help one of them like Pete helped me. Oh, and Pete mentioned some gathering of trainers at some rich guy's mansion toward Wrystone next week. Guess I'm not strong enough to go yet, lame. I'll get stronger though. Time to train!


As soon as he loses sight of the Psychic Jack looks straight behind himself.

He's probably seen me, and he's about to jump me. Ah well, here goes nothing.

Jack walks up to where Mrs Ross is looking at the pots, and pretends to look at pots as well. Then, when Jack is next to her he whispers

'Excuse me, miss? Don't look around, keep looking at the pots and pretend you don't hear me. I think you're in danger and I'm here to help. I was at the Gym match, and I thought I saw someone's following you out - a creepy guy in a trench-coat'.

Spot the Psychic: WIS check [roll0]
Bluff Mrs Ross : CHA check [roll1]
(Most of it's true of course, but being there to help is not)

Ouch, bad Cha check.

You look around but can't find any trace of the psychic. When you start speaking to Mrs. Ross, she instantly freaks out. "AH! Get away from me, you weirdo!" She half-runs away from you toward the other end of the store.

Subtle, kid. So the pyro has a partner, huh?

planswalker
2012-10-21, 02:37 PM
Caspar will take note of Pete and grab another half-dozen pages to peruse.

Wordplay
2012-10-21, 06:13 PM
Ah {%$"*! ***** Psychics. Dark one take you all! Well subtlety was never my strong suite.

Jack looks about for the Psychic, one last time.

WIS [roll0]

Jack looks around again.

Ah, I've screwed this up. It's do or die now, or they'll never forgive me.

Jack texts everyone - Bad news. Psychic and target have spotted me. :( Will try to eliminate psychic. If I don't make it, my Beedrill's name is Sting. Please take care of him.

Let's level the playing field.

Jack <walks outside the mall and> looks around for a manhole cover.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-21, 07:01 PM
I have no doubt in the fish's durability. I do doubt how much more punishment it can take. Fluer, you did well. Rafiki, lets go! The fox fell to the bubbles, but the ape takes its place. Sock it hard.

Mach Punch, AC 2 Physical Fighting.
[roll0]
[roll1]

HZ514
2012-10-22, 10:22 PM
Caspar will take note of Pete and grab another half-dozen pages to peruse.

Killin' me Plans! :smalltongue:


Fun party last night! Dad let me try some beer...it tasted weird. Why do people drink that stuff? Ick. Great fireworks show over Lake Luna, too.

New year's resolution: be braver. First order of business, ask Pete out next time I see him!


Zayir got back to me, he said the trainer most likely to win tomorrow is a girl named Stephanie. I'll catch up with her after she (hopefully) wins and help her learn some of the ropes. Maybe we'll go catch some cute Pokemon together!


Got a letter from Zayir...I've been invited to have my Starter Battle in two weeks! Oh goodness, am I ready? I don't even know what Pokemon to use! I'll have to ask Dad about it...


Blah, back to school. Lame. I just want to sleep...


Pete finally evolved his Eevee with a Thunderstone, now it's a Jolteon! Kind of sad, because his Eevee got along so well with Sparkles. Oh well, we'll find Sparkles a new friend soon...maybe I'll become a trainer someday.


Tomorrow...OH GOD I'M NOT READY. I'm reading up on everything I can find about Swablu...what am I even going to pick to fight against? Is Zayir going to give me good options? I'm literally sweating right now. Pete tried to calm me down. I lost it and screamed at him. :( Now I feel bad. Going to eat some ice cream. Hope tomorrow goes well...

HZ514
2012-10-22, 10:29 PM
Ah {%$"*! ***** Psychics. Dark one take you all! Well subtlety was never my strong suite.

Jack looks about for the Psychic, one last time.

WIS [roll0]

Jack looks around again.

Ah, I've screwed this up. It's do or die now, or they'll never forgive me.

Jack texts everyone - Bad news. Psychic and target have spotted me. :( Will try to eliminate psychic. If I don't make it, my Beedrill's name is Sting. Please take care of him.

Let's level the playing field.

Jack <walks outside the mall and> looks around for a manhole cover.

You hilariously fail to spot the psychic, actually freaking out some nearby civilians because you look so frantic.

As you make your way out of the mall, you feel a general fog inside your head hear the psychic's voice emanate from your mind. Yes, run you coward. Run like the vermin you are. And you tell the others that they should run as well.

...Give my regards to your Beedrill.

Then the mental fog clears, and you can tell the psychic is gone.

Unfortunately, you're now outside and have no idea where Mrs. Ross is, either.

HZ514
2012-10-22, 10:35 PM
I have no doubt in the fish's durability. I do doubt how much more punishment it can take. Fluer, you did well. Rafiki, lets go! The fox fell to the bubbles, but the ape takes its place. Sock it hard.

Mach Punch, AC 2 Physical Fighting.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rafiki's lightning-quick punch sends the Chinchou hurdling back through the electric field, and it comes to a stop just past the other side. "Whoa! Dang, that'n hurt." Kyle returns his Chinchou and steps down from his battle platform as the spectators give you light applause. "Nice battle, dude. You earned this," he says, handing you your winnings. "Wanna take on one o' tha others next?" he asks enthusiastically.

planswalker
2012-10-22, 10:40 PM
Killin' me Plans! :smalltongue:

oh, I'm sorry, I meant to have him peruse them one at a time to fill posts while everyone else catches up to me chronologically. I guess it helps to actually SAY that, though. :smallredface:

Caspar muses over things and texts the others with an update. The daughter has a boyfriend named Pete. He's got a jolteon, possibly others. I don't recommend tangling with him if you don't have to. That psychic bodyguard is going to be trouble enough.

He'll grab a few more pages, toss back the ones he's read and Read The New Ones One At A Time.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-22, 11:03 PM
Burler checks his watch real quick. The battle took less than a minute but he couldn't risk loosing the girl AND Mrs. Ross. Stupid kid. Besides, no point in wearing his team down if he didn't have to. Thanks but no thanks. I've got other things I need to do. Burler walks away, looking around for any signs of the girl.

[roll0]

HZ514
2012-10-22, 11:09 PM
oh, I'm sorry, I meant to have him peruse them one at a time to fill posts while everyone else catches up to me chronologically. I guess it helps to actually SAY that, though. :smallredface:

Caspar muses over things and texts the others with an update. The daughter has a boyfriend named Pete. He's got a jolteon, possibly others. I don't recommend tangling with him if you don't have to. That psychic bodyguard is going to be trouble enough.

He'll grab a few more pages, toss back the ones he's read and Read The New Ones One At A Time.

Heh, no worries. It's fun fleshing out the once-throwaway NPC into spotlight status.

The next entry you read is dated quite recently as well.


Asked Dad about my upcoming Starter Battle today. He was really helpful, but he also started acting a little...weird. He missed half of dinner talking on the phone to someone and then looked really stressed out when he finally sat down to eat with us. I hope he's not having trouble at work or something.

Anyway, he told me he was really proud of me and that he would make sure nothing ever happened to my Pokemon. I think the thought of me being a trainer kind of freaked him out.

HZ514
2012-10-22, 11:15 PM
Burler checks his watch real quick. The battle took less than a minute but he couldn't risk loosing the girl AND Mrs. Ross. Stupid kid. Besides, no point in wearing his team down if he didn't have to. Thanks but no thanks. I've got other things I need to do. Burler walks away, looking around for any signs of the girl.

[roll0]

Your keen senses (along with a functional memory) alert you to the fact that the young Ross girl has not come back through this part of the gym since she went back with Zayir, so she must still be back there.

The Xylo Gym is particularly unique among Wuhtu's gyms, as it is much more geared toward entertainment value than the others. As such, there is an entire backstage area where the other gyms would just have offices for gym officials. Back there, you notice threads from the distinctly colored cardigan she was wearing leading down a corridor toward a back exit.

As you follow the trail though, Zayir steps out of his office. "Can I help you, young man?"

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-22, 11:21 PM
Oh hello. I was just exploring. Am I in a restricted area? I'm sorry if I am, where is the nearest exit? Burler flashes an innocent smile, hand fiddling with a lighter in his pocket, resisting the urge to burn and run.

[roll0]

HZ514
2012-10-22, 11:27 PM
Oh hello. I was just exploring. Am I in a restricted area? I'm sorry if I am, where is the nearest exit? Burler flashes an innocent smile, hand fiddling with a lighter in his pocket, resisting the urge to burn and run.

[roll0]

Zayir stares at you unblinkingly while you speak your piece. When you're done, he points back toward the gym proper and says, "Back the way you came."

planswalker
2012-10-22, 11:27 PM
Hm... that is useful information. If he'd been pushed just a little too far, he's likely near his breaking point. If he'd been coerced away, a show or kindness might bring him back to the fold. Kindness backed by a promise of destruction if he refused, of course. This world was far too harsh a place to allow idealism to grow. Better to crush it now before it killed them like it killed him.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-22, 11:34 PM
Right thanks. Sorry Mr. Zayir. Burler does a polite bow, before hurrying back to the gym and out the front door. He then dashes around, trying to locate the back door he suspected the girl took.

Your just waiting for my rolls to turn against me aren't you?

[roll0]

HZ514
2012-10-22, 11:57 PM
Right thanks. Sorry Mr. Zayir. Burler does a polite bow, before hurrying back to the gym and out the front door. He then dashes around, trying to locate the back door he suspected the girl took.

Your just waiting for my rolls to turn against me aren't you?

[roll0]

Around the back of the gym, there are a few different doors. You can't quite connect the internal map of the gym to these exterior locations well enough to be able to tell which one Stephanie would have taken. You do, however, find a Persim Berry during your search so, y'know, it's not a total loss.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-23, 12:10 AM
Well muk.... Hmmm where to go from here? I have no indication where she went, but, I do know she has a pokemon. Eventually, she will stop by the Center. Fluer needs some healing, so its a win-win. And with that, Burler heads to the Center and gets his fox healed.

HZ514
2012-10-23, 12:15 AM
Hm... that is useful information. If he'd been pushed just a little too far, he's likely near his breaking point. If he'd been coerced away, a show or kindness might bring him back to the fold. Kindness backed by a promise of destruction if he refused, of course. This world was far too harsh a place to allow idealism to grow. Better to crush it now before it killed them like it killed him.

The events on the television punctuate your point, as a poor sap from Maelstrom gets demolished by Dirk.

planswalker
2012-10-23, 12:26 AM
The events on the television punctuate your point, as a poor sap from Maelstrom gets demolished by Dirk.

the cruelty of this league that builds up a person's hope only to crush them to dust must end. are his dark thoughts as he reads another entry.

HZ514
2012-10-23, 12:45 AM
Well muk.... Hmmm where to go from here? I have no indication where she went, but, I do know she has a pokemon. Eventually, she will stop by the Center. Fluer needs some healing, so its a win-win. And with that, Burler heads to the Center and gets his fox healed.

"Hello, Sir!" the jolly nurse greets you when you step into the Center. "Need some healing today?"

She takes your Pokemon and sends them back to get healed, and an orderly comes to return them to you when they're ready.

-----

About an hour later, Stephanie walks in with the girl who won against Zayir earlier. They walk up to the counter and hand their Pokeballs (two each) over to the nurse.

Stephanie says, "Phew! That was a close call back there. Your Magnemite can really take a lot of hits!"

Celeste responds, "Thanks. I didn't realize how hard fighting all of them together would be, but he's really tough. Your Swablu's really strong, too, knocking out three of them like that."

HZ514
2012-10-23, 12:52 AM
the cruelty of this league that builds up a person's hope only to crush them to dust must end. are his dark thoughts as he reads another entry.

The next journal entry you find is dated earlier this summer.


Summer is so definitely the best season of the year. Too hot? Psh, cold is the worst. I don't think I'd ever be able to go anywhere near Gateway.

Planning on going out to Lake Luna with Pete later this week. He can't swim! Can you believe that? I'll have to teach him.

Oh, and Jenny got a job at the Cafe across the street! It's perfect because she can just come over here after work and we can hang out. Hope she doesn't have to deal with too many creepy hip people, that Cafe draws a sort of weird crowd...

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-23, 12:59 AM
Burler walks over to the mar- er, I mean girls, wearing a genial smile. Whoa! Sounds like you girls just came back from some adventure. If you don't mind me asking, what happened? I like hearing stories from pretty girls.

[roll0]

Wordplay
2012-10-23, 02:55 AM
Actually, thought a change of location might be a good idea mate. Down there we can let loose, or least, I can. You, I'm not so sure.

I know you know I'm tryin' to provoke you. Still, how much you want to bet you can spot me next time?

Jack looks up into the night sky, searching for Sting.

'Sting! Come back for now!' Jack shouts.

Jack extends Sting's pokeball, and prepares to return the mon.

planswalker
2012-10-23, 08:24 AM
The next journal entry you find is dated earlier this summer.

Such a sweet little innocent thing. She needs to learn of the pain it takes to be strong in this world. Without it, she will be crushed by the cruelties out there. Today will be the start of her awakening to true power.

Inedible
2012-10-23, 09:04 AM
Bartleby, once he’s finished his drink, rises from his table and decides to find a way to pass the time. He’ll make a short stroll along the block and around the building, checking for any alternate entrances to the shop, upper levels, and the general layout of the streets around.

HZ514
2012-10-23, 08:42 PM
Burler walks over to the mar- er, I mean girls, wearing a genial smile. Whoa! Sounds like you girls just came back from some adventure. If you don't mind me asking, what happened? I like hearing stories from pretty girls.

[roll0]

The other girl looks intimidated by your presence, but Stephanie is decidedly unimpressed. "In your dreams, creep." They go to the kitchenette, leaving you standing there alone.

"Smooth, buddy," says one of the other guys sitting around the Center.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-23, 08:49 PM
Burler shrugs. Can't woo them all. Or any it seems. Burler takes a seat in a chair, facing away from the kitchenette, but within earshot, trying to eavesdrop on their conversation.

[roll0]

HZ514
2012-10-23, 08:49 PM
Actually, thought a change of location might be a good idea mate. Down there we can let loose, or least, I can. You, I'm not so sure.

I know you know I'm tryin' to provoke you. Still, how much you want to bet you can spot me next time?

Jack looks up into the night sky, searching for Sting.

'Sting! Come back for now!' Jack shouts.

Jack extends Sting's pokeball, and prepares to return the mon.

Your taunts get no reaction from the Psychic, who has left to go back to protecting Mrs. Ross.

A few tense moments pass without your Beedrill returning...did the psychic detect its presence and do something drastic?

Then Sting comes flying back to you and into his Pokeball.

Perhaps luckily for you, the mall only has the one main exit, so Mrs. Ross will have to use it when she leaves.

HZ514
2012-10-23, 08:51 PM
Such a sweet little innocent thing. She needs to learn of the pain it takes to be strong in this world. Without it, she will be crushed by the cruelties out there. Today will be the start of her awakening to true power.

Before you can grab another journal entry to read, the phone rings!

HZ514
2012-10-23, 08:53 PM
Bartleby, once he’s finished his drink, rises from his table and decides to find a way to pass the time. He’ll make a short stroll along the block and around the building, checking for any alternate entrances to the shop, upper levels, and the general layout of the streets around.

The back of the shop building has fire escapes attached to each floor, complete with ladders for access to the alleyway below. You can tell there are three floors of apartments above the shop from the windows on the outside of the building. The streets follow a generic grid layout; nothing fascinating.

HZ514
2012-10-23, 09:01 PM
Burler shrugs. Can't woo them all. Or any it seems. Burler takes a seat in a chair, facing away from the kitchenette, but within earshot, trying to eavesdrop on their conversation.

[roll0]

You can make out most of the conversation from your spot.

(This is all copied from the Sandbox IC)

"Sure, thank you. I'm not sure what kind of food Randel would like to eat yet, but I don't have any preferences. Can I help? I-I mean, I'm not too good at cooking, but even so..." Randel bobbles up and down beside her, seeming slightly exasperated at her shift back.


Stephanie looks at Randel. "Hmm. I can usually tell what kind of food a pokemon likes...but it seems your Magnemite really has no preference? Except...wait...it doesn't like spicy food. Well, alrighty then, we'll make something sweet!" she says as you two walk into the kitchenette.

"And sure, I'd love the help. Just hand me a..." The next half hour passes with you assisting her as she whips up a tasty sweet dinner. "Voila!" She actually makes quite a bit more than you and your pokemon can eat in one meal, and packs up the leftovers for the road.

You guys sit down to eat, and she opens the dinner conversation with an open ended, "So tell me about yourself, Celeste!"


"T-there's not really much to talk about," she said, looking at the plate of food for a moment. Her traveling partner was friendly and nice, but telling her about everything, her family and all, seemed to be a little too soon. "My father took care of me alone, growing up. I wanted to be a Pokemon trainer to see more things in the world, and I talked him into let me go." 'Talked' was probably too weak a word for that argument, she reflected briefly, but she looked back up at Stephanie. "What about you? You're going to Elrem Forest for berries for your grandparents, after all, so I take it you're pretty close to your family?"


Stephanie nods along as you speak, genuinely interested. "That's neat. Seeing the world is one of the reasons I wanted to become a trainer too."

She answers your question, "Yeah. Well definitely my grandparents at least. My family's pretty rich from my dad's work," she says, with a hint of embarrassment in her voice, "But that work also keeps him at the office a lot of the time. My mom works in Serenity Tower too, so I spent most of my time growing up with my grandparents. They're the nicest people you'd ever meet. Grandpa's from Orum and Grandma's from Port Tidings. They met in Elrem's berry gardens..."

Stephanie proceeds to relate the story of her grandparent's meeting, dating, and getting married. By the time she's done, everyone's finished eating.

"Oops, sorry for talking the whole time. I just can't tell that story enough. So it looks like we still have a bit of daylight, what would you like to do Celeste?"


Celeste smiled. It had been interesting, even if it made her a little envious. Even with her parents always working, she still knew both them and her grandparents far better than Celeste did her own parents. "It's no problem. Um, well, we could stop by the store and buy Pokeballs to replace the ones we used. T-they should have other supplies, too, right?"


Stephanie nods. "Yep! I think I'll pick up some more Potions too. Our pokemon really do take a beating out there."


Then the two girls step out of the kitchenette to go to the Mart. They don't notice you on their way out.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-23, 09:10 PM
Burler waits for the doors to close, before heading out to tail them. He fires off a text to the others. -Following the girl. With a friend. 2 mon each. Friend has a Magnemite. Swablu supposedly strong. Caspar, be careful. The grandparents may come home before others.-

planswalker
2012-10-23, 10:13 PM
Before you can grab another journal entry to read, the phone rings!

On a whim, Caspar will answer the phone, but remain silent for now.

HZ514
2012-10-24, 12:31 AM
Burler waits for the doors to close, before heading out to tail them. He fires off a text to the others. -Following the girl. With a friend. 2 mon each. Friend has a Magnemite. Swablu supposedly strong. Caspar, be careful. The grandparents may come home before others.-

You follow them into the Mart, where they go up to the counter to buy some supplies.

Have some more quotes from the other IC :smalltongue:

"Umm, hello. Could I get three Pokeballs and five Potions?" She paused, remembering something. "Oh, err, do you have any TMs?"


"Sure thing, Miss." He hands you the items you requested and takes your money. "And I believe we have most every TM that the casinos in town don't have a monopoly on. Which one did you have in mind?"


"Umm, Light Screen, if you have it." As he pulls it out and reads off the price, she shakes her head slightly. "Oh. Umm, I'm sorry, but I don't have enough," she says, starting to trail off, but forcing her voice back to something more regular as Randel, still floating alongside her, seems to reproach her with a silent look. They've faced five times their number in Pokemon and come out alive, so why's she embarrassed by a simple mistake, it seemed to be thinking. "I'm sorry for making you bring it out, but I don't seem to have enough money for it yet." Randel bumps against her, encouragingly, and she pets him.


The shopkeeper puts the TM away. "Don't worry about it, the TM will still be here when you do have enough for it."

Stephanie purchases a few Pokeballs and Potions as well. Then she turns to you. "So what should we do now?"


"I'm...uh, not really sure. Anything you want to do before tomorrow?"


Stephanie shrugs. "We could try to make some money! I've heard these shopkeepers usually have some odd jobs for trainers to do." She turns to the guy and asks, "So is there any sort of work we can do for you?"

For the first time, you notice that the shopkeeper has been quite distracted this whole time, glancing at his Pokegear every so often. "Huh? Oh, actually...yeah, there is one thing. You see, I have this Gothita and she's always loved to help around the store. But lately, she's been disappearing for long periods of time and I have no idea where she goes. This time she's been gone for a few days now. If you two could find her or find out where she goes, I'd be eternally grateful!" There is noticeable distress in the man's voice as he speaks, explaining exactly what his Gothita looks like.

"I'd be glad to help! Shall we, Celeste?"


Celeste nods, grateful for the offer. "Sure. If we can help, we should at least try, right?"


"Cool, let's do it! We'll find your Gothita, don't worry. Do you have any idea where she could have gone?"

"She always loved this clearing in the trees just outside of town. I would go check there myself if I didn't have to stay here to man the shop."

"Alright, we'll start there then."

Stephanie leads the way, following the directions the shopkeeper gives you two. Along the way, you see some pokemon out and about in the early evening.

A Glameow slinks past you just inside town. Some Murkrows fly low overhead as you're about to enter the treeline. You see a Pansear swinging from tree to tree and have barely enough time to scan it.

When you reach the clearing, Stephanie starts looking around the place.


They're too busy looking around the clearing to notice you from your vantage point.

HZ514
2012-10-24, 12:35 AM
On a whim, Caspar will answer the phone, but remain silent for now.

When you pick up the receiver, a crotchety old man starts yelling in your ear. "Hello?! Stephanie?! Are you there? Gah, what's wrong with this thing? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Hello?

Shush, Miriam, I'm talking to her. STEPHANIE! If you can hear me, your grandmother and I had a great time out here in Port Tidings! It was such a nice vacation. But we'll be back this weekend! OKAY?!

BYE!

Then a click, and the dead line sound.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-24, 12:44 AM
Burler hangs back, but releases Lumin, who takes her normal spot on his head. Watch carefully Lumin. We may need to take them out fast. Burler watches and waits. No point in revealing himself now, but is prepared to fight if need to.

planswalker
2012-10-24, 01:01 AM
When you pick up the receiver, a crotchety old man starts yelling in your ear. "Hello?! Stephanie?! Are you there? Gah, what's wrong with this thing? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Hello?

Shush, Miriam, I'm talking to her. STEPHANIE! If you can hear me, your grandmother and I had a great time out here in Port Tidings! It was such a nice vacation. But we'll be back this weekend! OKAY?!

BYE!

Then a click, and the dead line sound.

Caspar takes note that the grandparents are out until this weekend. The more trivial personal facts of their lives he can include, the more intimidating his speech will be. He'll hang up the line and read the next page of the journal.

HZ514
2012-10-24, 01:07 AM
Burler hangs back, but releases Lumin, who takes her normal spot on his head. Watch carefully Lumin. We may need to take them out fast. Burler watches and waits. No point in revealing himself now, but is prepared to fight if need to.

A minor Pokemon battle breaks out but the girls are able to win with little inconvenience. Then they explore the area a bit more before entering a sort of underbrush that leads through an apparent dead end.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-24, 01:13 AM
Burler follows behind, but scrambles up a tree, with Lumin's threading for support, to get a better vantage point.

[roll0]

Inedible
2012-10-24, 09:51 AM
Once Bartleby has a good lay of the land he returns to the cafe, finding a seat again and digging out his phone. He merely tabs through assorted messages, keeping idle track of his surroundings while he awaits further news.

It's more than likely they'll come home eventually, after all.

Wordplay
2012-10-24, 10:04 AM
Jack almost, but not quite lets out a sigh of relief as Sting returns and is absorbed back into his pokeball.

First Pokemon I've had to evolve. First one I caught from the wild. If Buddy was like a brother to him, and Hugsy the closest thing he'd had to a mother, Jack imagined Sting as something like a son. After all, he'd raised him since he was a ting Weedle.

Jack keeps up a watch over the exit to the mall, trying to skulk in the shadows on the other side of the street. Meanwhile, he rings Caspar, using the redial, and avoiding looking at the screen, so he can't see the number.

Jack whispers into the phone 'Hey, are you there? Psychic and target spotted me. Don't tell me anything I don't need to know. Guy rips it straight out of your head. I can probably pick them up again, but is there much point, or should I leave it?'

HZ514
2012-10-24, 11:41 PM
Burler follows behind, but scrambles up a tree, with Lumin's threading for support, to get a better vantage point.

[roll0]

From your vantage point, you watch as the girls find the shopkeeper's Gothita with a friend, a Riolu. They talk to the Pokemon for a while before leading them back out of the clearing. They start to make their way back to town, the girls mentioning returning the Gothita to its owner.

HZ514
2012-10-24, 11:43 PM
Caspar takes note that the grandparents are out until this weekend. The more trivial personal facts of their lives he can include, the more intimidating his speech will be. He'll hang up the line and read the next page of the journal.

Because the forums have a character limit, I'm telling you that the next journal entry is splattered with tears.


Sparkles got sick today, and we had to take her to a doctor. Not even the Pokemon Center, but a real doctor! He told us she had some sort of super-contagious virus that made her act all feisty. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do but wait it out...I hope she'll be OK.

planswalker
2012-10-24, 11:56 PM
Jack almost, but not quite lets out a sigh of relief as Sting returns and is absorbed back into his pokeball.

First Pokemon I've had to evolve. First one I caught from the wild. If Buddy was like a brother to him, and Hugsy the closest thing he'd had to a mother, Jack imagined Sting as something like a son. After all, he'd raised him since he was a ting Weedle.

Jack keeps up a watch over the exit to the mall, trying to skulk in the shadows on the other side of the street. Meanwhile, he rings Caspar, using the redial, and avoiding looking at the screen, so he can't see the number.

Jack whispers into the phone 'Hey, are you there? Psychic and target spotted me. Don't tell me anything I don't need to know. Guy rips it straight out of your head. I can probably pick them up again, but is there much point, or should I leave it?'

Caspar will take note to ask about how well sparkles recovered from that virus.

He'll check to see what time it is.

Caspar will answer while checking the time. "Retreat and meet back up. You know where. That psychic is dangerous."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-24, 11:58 PM
Burler continues to follow. Its boring to follow. But he is only supposed to follow. Don't burn his kid till he refuses the first time. He just have to wait. He hoped, with hopes of hope, he'd refuse the first offer.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 12:03 AM
Caspar will take note to ask about how well sparkles recovered from that virus.

He'll check to see what time it is.

Caspar will answer while checking the time. "Retreat and meet back up. You know where. That psychic is dangerous."

It's getting fairly late, around 8 in the evening (dusk). From your extensive search of the apartment, you know that Ross should be heading home right about now.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 12:05 AM
Burler continues to follow. Its boring to follow. But he is only supposed to follow. Don't burn his kid till he refuses the first time. He just have to wait. He hoped, with hopes of hope, he'd refuse the first offer.

You're a super ninja! You follow the girls as they return the Gothita, which leads to some interesting developments.

After some extensive conversation, Stephanie's friend is given the Gothita and Riolu! You can also make out two Pokeballs on each of Stephanie and Celeste's belts.

Stephanie, Celeste, and the two new Pokemon then leave, making distinct mention of heading back to Stephanie's home for the night.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 12:08 AM
Burler continues to follow, sending a text to everyone. -Urgent! Girls are heading home. Newly acquired Riolu and Gothita. Also have Magnemite and Swablu and 2 unknown mon. Following. Be ready.- Burler swaps Lumin out for Fluer, the fox more inconspicuous in the big city than a giant flaming bug.

Wordplay
2012-10-25, 05:56 AM
Jack reads the text from Caspar, and nods, a little relieved. Jack texts back -

-Understood, going dark on phone for a bit.

Jack searches his memory for the nearest out of the way manhole cover. Jack walks over to it, checks that there's no-one around, then uses his knife to get purchase to lift it. As he does so, Jack receives Burler's latest text, which he checks, then puts away. Jack prises up the cover and disappears into the sewers, pulling the cover to as he descends.

Jack sends out Hugsy.

'Alright, Hugsy, it's our old patch. Home sweet home'.

Jack checks the Pokemon Burler listed in his Pokedex for information.

Sounds like they have Steel and Psychic. Great. Hate Steel types.

Jack tries to work out a path through the sewers which takes him close to the Ross house, using his knowledge from living down there. Jack starts walking in that direction, with Hugsy out in front of him, seeing by the light of his Pokedex screen, and finding his way mostly by touch and memory.

Whilst Jack makes the journey, he uses Type soul to sense whether there are any poison types nearby at any point.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 12:18 PM
Burler continues to follow, sending a text to everyone. -Urgent! Girls are heading home. Newly acquired Riolu and Gothita. Also have Magnemite and Swablu and 2 unknown mon. Following. Be ready.- Burler swaps Lumin out for Fluer, the fox more inconspicuous in the big city than a giant flaming bug.

You tail the girls as they head to the Center and get their teams healed up.

"So you're cool with staying over at my place?"
"If it's really not too much of a hassle..."
"Not at all! Nothing ever happens at home so it'll be fun having a guest over for once."

They retrieve their Pokemon and head over to the Ross's home.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 12:20 PM
Jack reads the text from Caspar, and nods, a little relieved. Jack texts back -

-Understood, going dark on phone for a bit.

Jack searches his memory for the nearest out of the way manhole cover. Jack walks over to it, checks that there's no-one around, then uses his knife to get purchase to lift it. As he does so, Jack receives Burler's latest text, which he checks, then puts away. Jack prises up the cover and disappears into the sewers, pulling the cover to as he descends.

Jack sends out Hugsy.

'Alright, Hugsy, it's our old patch. Home sweet home'.

Jack checks the Pokemon Burler listed in his Pokedex for information.

Sounds like they have Steel and Psychic. Great. Hate Steel types.

Jack tries to work out a path through the sewers which takes him close to the Ross house, using his knowledge from living down there. Jack starts walking in that direction, with Hugsy out in front of him, seeing by the light of his Pokedex screen, and finding his way mostly by touch and memory.

Whilst Jack makes the journey, he uses Type soul to sense whether there are any poison types nearby at any point.

You deftly maneuver yourself through the dank and dirty sewers, sensing many poison types along the way. They all happen to be on the other sides of walls and such though, so you can't reach them. Eventually, your familiarity with the sewers' layout lets you know that you're under a manhole only a few blocks away from the Ross's apartment.

For time reference, the girls just reached the Pokemon center with Burler following them, and they're about to go home.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 12:22 PM
Once Bartleby has a good lay of the land he returns to the cafe, finding a seat again and digging out his phone. He merely tabs through assorted messages, keeping idle track of his surroundings while he awaits further news.

It's more than likely they'll come home eventually, after all.

The cafe slowly dies down as dinner time fades away. The waitress from before comes up to you and asks, "Are you gonna be here all night?"

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 12:30 PM
Do I even have to say it?

Wordplay
2012-10-25, 01:52 PM
Once he's down in the warm, twisting labyrinth, Jack feels better, calmer. Hugsy slaps along in front, munching on the grime and muck she finds. When Jack exits the sewers, he sighs happily and returns Hugsy.

'Well that was a regular trip down memory lane. Well done girl'.

Jack walks until he reaches the building where the Ross' live, and hides around the corner.

Judge it, there's some shop under it...

Jack changes the phone sim card, and re-enters the numbers of the crew. Then he gives Caspar a call, whispering.

'Hi. I'm outside. Should I take up watch here, or join you inside?'

planswalker
2012-10-25, 02:19 PM
"Best to stay out there. We don't want to tip our hands. It will be obvious if I need help."

Inedible
2012-10-25, 02:30 PM
Bartleby has gotten restless during the intervening hours, having to settle for occupying himself with his phone and listening to conversation. He’s managed, however, to keep himself composed. When the waitress asks her question he replies: ”Until you close. As long as I’m eating that’s not a problem, is it?” And he puts another order in, for good measure.

In the meantime, he sends another text: I've got the front. Put them out fast when they come in. I'll give you warning. Burler, meet me at the cafe.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 02:37 PM
-Roger- Burler ducks behind the girls into a side street, then runs full sprint, hoping to get there before they did and reach the cafe.

Wordplay
2012-10-25, 03:38 PM
Jack hides in the nearest alleyway, trying to get to a place where he can get a good view of the apartment building.

It's quiet, and cold. Jack sits, and pulls his coat tighter around him. He releases Buddy. The Nidoran clambers onto Jack's lap, and he covers Buddy with a fold of his coat. Then sits in the gloom, staring at middle distance, and stroking the Nidoran's leathery back in the soft place between his spikes.

Two old friends sit, sharing the silence where nothing needs to be said.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 06:12 PM
Everyone

The girls are traveling at a leisurely pace, so Burler is able to reach his destination before they get home. Bartleby can see him walk in, upon which a waitress greets him, "Welcome! Table for one?"

Jack finds a "cozy" alleyway across the street with a perfect view of the apartment building. Up in the Ross's apartment, Caspar has a clear view of the street below. Jack could see Caspar if he were in the window, while Caspar would have to really be looking in the exact right spot to see Jack down there.

---

Mr. Ross is the first to arrive. You can all see him as he approaches the shop's front door.

Wordplay
2012-10-25, 06:34 PM
As Mr Ross walks up the street Buddy jumps off Jack's lap. Jack reaches for his phone and calls Caspar.

'Target's coming up, be ready'

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 06:42 PM
Burler takes his sole table and grabs a light dinner to finish waiting.

_____________

Seeing Mr. Ross come up, Burler nods to Bartleby from across the cafe. He gets up, leaves a money on the table, with a generous tip, and follows Mr. Ross inside, far enough behind to be inconspicuous.

just tell me how much for foodz, I'll subtract double for the tip.

Inedible
2012-10-25, 07:49 PM
Bartleby dips his head over at Bruler when he arrives, though he keeps to himself for now. He keeps eyes on the street, and seems a little relieved when Ross finally does arrive.

He does not, however, make move to do anything about it. His palm makes a subtle 'staying' motion to his teammate across the cafe, probably indicating they should wait.

I'm actively keeping an eye out for the psychic. Let me know when I need to roll, I assume I should do it when the wife arrives.

planswalker
2012-10-25, 09:38 PM
Caspar will ready Dormi to hypnotize their target when he enters the apartment. He'll stand to the side of the door so Mr Ross will have to enter before he'll see him.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 09:46 PM
And...Action!

Mesi: we'll call the meal 25 poke, so 50 total including tip.

Burler, Jack, and Bartleby watch as Mr. Ross enters the now-closed shop on the first floor with a phone held up to his ear and proceed up the stairs in the back.

Caspar can plainly hear steps approaching as Mr. Ross draws closer to his apartment. "Yes, honey. I will. Of course--" The door opens.

Meanwhile, back in the Cafe, one of the waitresses talks loudly on the phone. "Yeah Steph, my shift's almost over so I'll meet you at your place--oh I just saw your dad come home, by the way."

planswalker
2012-10-25, 09:54 PM
Dormi will use her hypnosis on the man.

[roll0]

Assuming the sleep works, Caspar will drag him inside and shut the door.

If not, he'll say, "Mr Ross, please come inside and don't say a word. I have a business arrangement to discuss with you."

HZ514
2012-10-25, 10:26 PM
Dormi will use her hypnosis on the man.

[roll0]

Assuming the sleep works, Caspar will drag him inside and shut the door.

If not, he'll say, "Mr Ross, please come inside and don't say a word. I have a business arrangement to discuss with you."

Mr. Ross freezes in place when he sees Dormi, but before he can react the hypnosis takes effect and he falls face-first into the apartment.

While you drag him inside and shut the door, his wife is still on the phone. "Hello? I'm talking to you! Alright, whatever. I'll be home in about ten minutes. If the kitchen is still dirty..."

planswalker
2012-10-25, 10:32 PM
Caspar will pick up the phone "I'm afraid that Mr Ross was surprised to see a guest in his house. If you call the police, he'll be dead before they get here. Go home. Now. Quietly and we'll discuss how all of us can leave this alive. Oh, and call dear little Stephanie and tell her that you're having dinner as a family tonight and to not bring that girl with her home. Thank you for your cooperation."

He'll send a mass text to his companions: nabbed the mark, told mama to meet us, 86 the fuzz. One of you follow the wife inside, the other two after the girl.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-25, 10:34 PM
-Roger. Jack, get the girls. Me and Bart get Momma and Mr. Pissy.-

Inedible
2012-10-25, 10:43 PM
Well, this isn't good. Bartleby begins to mash a message into his phone, only to be interrupted halfway through by Caspar's text. He frowns, his eyes flickering up toward Burler. Again, he makes a negating motion.

His message back: You two take care of family. We only follow the psychic. You're also getting one more. Waitress here is the girl's friend, going over there soon.

Wordplay
2012-10-25, 10:44 PM
Jack waits in the street. Everything seems quiet... that's a good sign, right? Would Caspar want them up there, or...

Jack texts Caspar.

-Orders?

planswalker
2012-10-25, 10:45 PM
hopefully mom cooperates and tells the daughter to have her friends go elsewhere.

HZ514
2012-10-25, 11:22 PM
After Caspar delivers his message to Mrs. Ross, the line abruptly goes dead. For a few minutes, nothing happens.

Then Bartleby and Burler both watch as Mrs. Ross comes sprinting down the street, shopping bags flailing all about with various items falling out. She's absolutely hysterical, shouting non-sequitor obscenities while running toward the shop's front door. She passes by Jack's alley in a flash.

The next few events are very time sensitive, so please limit your responses to your character's immediate reactions.

Wordplay
2012-10-26, 12:19 AM
Just after Jack had texted 'Orders?' he received Caspar and Bartlebys' texts.

'Me get the girls? They have Steel and Psychic, I'd have no chance'

Just as Jack thinks this he sees Mrs Ross run past his alley. Jack returns Buddy and lets out Hugsy.

Psychic will be here soon...

Jack checks to see if there's anyone in the street, and if there's time tells Hugsy

'Prep for poison gas, on my signal...'

planswalker
2012-10-26, 01:17 AM
Caspar will frown. The poor woman did not understand the difference between the threat of loss and actual loss yet. It almost broke his heart that he may have to educate her. Still, this was the job. Ideally, everyone would stay rational enough that such steps were not necessary.

He'll motion for Dormi to re-apply the hypnosis every other round to keep the man under for now.

Inedible
2012-10-26, 02:19 PM
Bartleby is still on the lookout. He frowns briefly when Ross' wife goes sprinting past, but makes no move to follow. Instead he keeps eyes on the street.

Looking for psychic: [roll0]

HZ514
2012-10-26, 04:24 PM
You all watch as Mrs. Ross frantically runs into the shop and up the stairs in the back. As Caspar hears her scramble toward the apartment, the street out side appears empty.

Bartleby's sharp eyes happen to notice one of the items lost from Mrs. Ross's shopping bags fly through the air and spontaneously stop midair a little ways down the street as if they hit something. For a moment, they stay there. Then they move to the side and toward the ground as if someone threw them down, but there's ostensibly no one there...

Burler can still hear the waitress's phone conversation. "How's Pe--whoa, your mom just came running back to your apartment. She looked freaked out!"

Jack can't see anything from the alleyway, but a familiar mental fog does creep into his mind a little bit after Mrs. Ross has run by.

Wordplay
2012-10-26, 06:37 PM
Jack winces.

Argh, Psychic's here.

Once Mrs Ross is inside, Jack checks to make sure the street is empty.

'Alright Hugsy, move into the middle of the street, then poison gas attack'

Hugsy moves 6 metres away from Jack. Poison Gas, centred on Hugsy AC (Base 6) [roll0] 4 metre burst, poisons all legal targets.

Jack calls Burler.

'I've set out some poison gas. Should flush out the Psychic'.

planswalker
2012-10-26, 07:35 PM
Caspar has Dormi continue to keep the man sleeping with hypnosis as he calls out Ragnae.

wife approaching. Who has her covered? He texts.

Wordplay
2012-10-26, 08:40 PM
Jack hangs up his phone, and starts looking for a perturbation of the thick purplish gas...

WIS [roll0]

Inedible
2012-10-26, 08:41 PM
Really? In the middle of the street? Bartleby facepalms rather visibly, but he does manage to take note of the floating trash. That's not good either.

He's invisible.

He types that out quickly, then puts his phone away. Then he sets back to waiting, watching the door particularly, to see if it moves of its own accord.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-26, 08:48 PM
That's it! Burler gets up and leaves, for real this time, regardless of what his cohort thought. He goes straight across the street into the shop and around the corner, Fluer at his heels. He stays just around the corner, waiting for someone to walk in.

[roll0]
If I did to much, just tell me.