PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Panda, Serenity RPG IC



Pages : [1] 2 3

Adlan
2012-10-18, 04:56 PM
Episode One - The Derelict
Scene one

Dining Room
The Alpha Panda's Dining room is bustling as Grace brings through another dish and the crew beign to help themselves. Cap'n Rouge is rubbing up against peoples legs, begging for scraps, or perhaps that should be ordering the hands to provide scraps, but either way it doesn't work.
It's at this point that Dr. Ling Brings in her Patient, a figure looking significantly worse for wear, but now everyone on board is present, and they look expectantly at both Doc and Patient.

Lentrax
2012-10-18, 07:04 PM
Sia sits herself at the table, and starts filling her plate.

As she see that everyone is looking at her, she stops.

"He is going to be fine. It was only a few lacerations, none severe. Most of his injury was psychological. But he is stable, and should be fine."

Creed
2012-10-18, 07:48 PM
Morgan Blake sits at one corner of the table, pulling an assortment of legumes and and a little meat onto his plate.
Unable to respond to the Doc with words, he glances over at her and raises a speculative eyebrow instead.
He passes his eyes over everyone at the table, then rests them on the Patient, where they stay as he eats.

Voltaire
2012-10-18, 08:06 PM
Shooter's been sitting down since the call for dinner went out. His fork in his left hand, his knife in the right. Just like momma taught him. His elbows rested uneasily on the table, as he lipped his lips.

'Come on! Bring out more! Mah belly's not full, and this dang cat wants everything in it - g'it! g'it!'

Stirling tilts his head slightly, 'Hey Doc, do you know the rules about dead patients' belongin's? 'Cause, you know, if the patient dies, I want mah share. I'm just sayin. Not lookin' too good there. Hey there, friend! How you feelin'? You think you gonna pull through?'

cgrela
2012-10-18, 08:07 PM
Lei comes bounding up the stairs, and swings into a seat. She grabs a plate, and scoops a tiny amount of food onto her plate. 我是饿了今晚!新鲜食品!船长, the course is laid in. We'll be safe to jump in about ten minutes. Oh, the guy we picked up is, well, up! How are you doing? 我的名字是雷铁翼!你的名字是什么?

Translation
I am hungry tonight! Fresh food! Captain [English]. My name is Lei Tie Yi. What is your name?

Unkabear
2012-10-18, 09:53 PM
Tap had taken a moment to clean himself up for dinner, though still arriving at about the respectable time for it to be served. He moved with purpose over to a seat at the edge of the table that would allow him to bring his arm to bare if he needed to, usually with a knife he keeps specially for eating.

As the patient was brought in by the Doc, Tap first looked to the Cap'n, then Jack to see their reactions before allowing himself to relax and enjoy his food.

He raised his chopsticks with his left hand and began to serve himself asking for something when he was not able to reach it. Lei's appearance brought a smile to his face, even after recent events, she was as happy as ever, and if she said that the course was laid in, they would be on the best course set by almost anyone in the verse

And as for the Alpha Panda, well she would do her part. Tap had already made sure of that.

Sunfall
2012-10-19, 01:00 AM
Puttering around in the pantry, humming quietly, Grace does not notice the lull in conversation. It is remarkable how it already seems as if she’s been there forever. She seems to be one of those people who can develop a deep connection to a place in a matter of days.

Every movement seems familiar, intimate – grabbing the right pot from a hard-to-reach cupboard, deftly operating the aged stove, now and then grazing the worn surfaces of tables and cabinets with a loving touch. The smells wafting through the common area are tantalizing, rich and spicy, reminiscent of home cooking and comfort food.

Grace only notices the doctor and her patient when she steps out of the pantry, carefully carrying a casserole dish in her heat-gloved hands. She gives the patient a warm smile as she heavily sets down the cookware onto the scratched table.

“Well, hello there, honey”, she says in her low, slightly scratchy voice. “I’ve got jes' the thing for ya, just you wait!” The Rim drawl is heavy in her words.

She returns to the kitchen, fetching a wooden bowl with a rich golden broth in it. “’Fraid we’re all outta real chicken, but with a wee bitta seasonin’ it tastes jes’ the same. It’s jes’ protein anyway, eh?” She winks over the table at Sia. “Doc did her mojo, now here’s a bitta mine.” There are specks of vegetable floating in the soup.

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 05:09 AM
Sia takes some of the casserole, and with the practised grace of a doctor just out of surgery, begins eating.

"We making for burn already? Where are we heading?

cgrela
2012-10-19, 08:01 AM
Between mouthfuls of food "Ah, just som, mmmnomm, dinky little comet, mmmonom, need to pick up passengers and cargo, mmmnom. OOH, IS THAT BAO!?" Lei's chopsticks flash out and grab a dumpling.

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 08:43 AM
Sia laughs at the excitment the pilot shows at a dumpling, then lashes out with her own chopsticks, wrestling them together for a minute before reliquishing the food and grabbing one of her own, placing it on another plate for her patient.

Erasmas
2012-10-19, 10:09 AM
Cole sits quietly at the side of Sia, having saved her an empty chair, which he unceremoniously pulls out for her when she arrives. His off-handedness is not out of disrespect for his own action or laziness, but rather to keep the gesture as discreet as possible, to avoid the unwanted backlash that he knew he would catch from some of the crew.

But when Cole, for which he had also waited on Sia to do, he ate with large spoonfuls and with gusto... nothing like a near-scrape with Death to work up a healthy appetite. He reached his hand beneath the table and lightly squeezed the doctor's thigh, just above the knee. She would know that this was his way of telling her that she had done a good job with the patient, that he approved.

When Grace brings in the casserole, Cole patiently waits his turn with the serving spoon before helping himself to yet another large portion. He liked having the new lady around, it reminded him of home in more ways than one.

"Foods' good, ma'am. Much obliged for you fixin' it."

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 11:21 AM
Sia, feeling Cole squeeze her thigh, smiled at the gesture, but not wanting anyone to notice anything, tensed her thigh twice. Then still smiling she looked up at Grace.

"Yeah, this is good. Can't hardly tell its just protein. Must be the fresh vegetables. Still can't think why you'd just be carrying that much around though. They tend to spoil left too long out of the dirt."

Voltaire
2012-10-19, 11:34 AM
Shooter sure loved him some dumplings - and these were some dumplings. At some point, he stopped biting bits off, like momma had said to, and just began gobbling them up whole. He only stopped when it felt like there was more lead in his belly than on his hip. It was a good kind of pain, though.

He leaned back and burped, loudly, to show his appreciation for the meal. Then he took out a toothpick, put it in the corner of his mouth, and began gnawing on it lightly, rolling it with his tongue.

'Good meal, y'all!' Shooter exclaimed, then lazily turned to Tap, while leaning back on his seat 'Hey there, chief. Lemme ask you a question - and it's a bit personal, like, for which I do most sincerely apologize. But, uhh, why you got a metal arm, man? You lose a bet with a garbage disposal unit, or somethin'?'

Unkabear
2012-10-19, 12:00 PM
Tap shrugged, "No, I lost a fight with liquid nitrogen. I fought Physics, and Physics won." he said as he lifted his arm out from his lap to cycle through a few of its tools and flex the "fingers".

"But then again, I don't think I lost too much either." he said with a slightly embarrased grin.

Erasmas
2012-10-19, 12:17 PM
Once he had finished eating, and it looked like most everyone else had finished as well, Cole collected up the dishes and carried them over to the sink. He turned on the water and started scrubbing and rinsing them. After several minutes, the twinge in his shoulder caused him to wince a bit. When he was finished, he started rubbing at the upper portion of and rotating his left arm, attempting to work out the pain. He knew he should've done that while they were on that ship, but sometimes when Cole got caught up in the moment, the consequences of his actions became a little blurry and caused him to be a little less... measured.

cgrela
2012-10-19, 12:45 PM
Lei finishes eating, and bounds back down the stairs. She hops into the chair at her station, gleefully spinning around. The foam of the chair cushions her small frame, surrounding her. When the chair stops moving, Lei pulls on her headset, a bulky thing that seems to fit poorly on the girl, but is clearly of military design. She takes a look at her screens, all five them, arrayed around her so as to present a clear and easy view to all, each displaying some critical function or system. They are bound together and to the ship by cables and masses of wires. The whole effect is rather like a nest. Lei switches on the headset. 船长, we're clear to switch to grav drive soon as you want.

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 01:08 PM
Sia finishes eating, then ensuring her patient eats something, she starts to wheel him back to the medbay. She turns back before leaving the common area.

"Cole, you come see me about that shoulder later."

Erasmas
2012-10-19, 01:34 PM
Cole nodded silently as Sia leaves, places his hand on the shoulder of her patient as they wheel by and gives him two firm pats. Afterward, he allowed his hand to come off of the man's shoulder and brush lightly up the doctor's arm.

Cole then went and retrieved two of his bottles of wine that he had stashed away and opened one of them, pouring himself a small amount into the bottom of a glass. He then presented the open bottle to the rest of the crew and set the other one next to it on the table.

"Hard day, ladies and gents... drinks are on me."

Unkabear
2012-10-19, 01:46 PM
Tap downs the last of the water in his ceramic mug & holds it up for a spash of wine offering "Thanks" as he received a nice cup. Not too full as Tap liked to keep a clear head in case he was needed for an emergency.

Narmoth
2012-10-19, 01:56 PM
As the doctor says that he will be fine, the Patient smiles faintly, but then a dark shadow crosses momentarily his face as the psychological side is mentioned.
The man still wears his gray worn out trenchcoat, but he has put aside the guns he carried and in stead wears a clean shirt, no doubt borrowed or taken from the salvage.
He lifts his long hair away from his face, revealing steel gray eyes that could be hard in their frame of many scars, but become friendly as he smiles and says in a quiet and somewhat rasping voice:
"I do not remember, and might have already done it before, but I still want to express to all of you my deepest gratitude for rescuing me. Now, I possess no skills that would be useful on your journey, or so should we all hope, but I am of mind to pay for my presence on this vessel until we find a suitable piece of civilization for me to leave your hospitality."

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 02:07 PM
Sia helps her patient onto the bed in the medbay. Going over to a locked cabinet, she quickly punches in the combination and pulls out a vial of a sedative. Filling a syringe, she walks over to the man laying in the bed.

"I am going to sedate you. It should allow you to get a good dreamless sleep tonight."

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-19, 03:31 PM
Gregoire Reaufort
One of the crew's more recent members, Greg still finds himself loosing track of the ship schedule. As a result, he's late coming up from his quarters for the meal. Sorry I'm late, folks. Still gettin' used to walls, floors an' skies a steel ta pass the time. My my, Ma'am, that's a right-fine smellin' brew, he says as he enters the dining room. He nods to Jack. Cap'n. Then to the cat. Cap'n. He takes an open seat at the table, and graciously accepts a bowl from Grace. His face lights up as he takes the first sip. Well ain't that somethin'? How'd y'all manage ta make this taste so very much like chicken, ma'am? Y'all got a coop hidden under that garden a yours? he asks the cook sarcastically.

Sunfall
2012-10-19, 05:51 PM
The cobwebs on Grace's face realign themselves into a delighted smile whenever someone compliments on the food. "'Tis mostly the spices, I'll reckon. With a bitta marjoram and a few other little tricks you can make any old protein gunk taste like chicken. Now, eat up good an' proper, will ya?"

In Cole's case, she adds, a twinkle in her eye: "And if ya call me ma'am to mah face one more time, lad, I'm gonna plant peas in yer ears while ye be sleepin' - it's jes' plain Grace."

She nods at Sia's question. "Yeah, a bit of fresh produce can go a long way. Had a garden back on Triumph, figured it would do no good leaving the stuff ter rot out there, brought with me as much as I could." Her tanned brow furrows. "But I have ter say, there's none left now. The tomatoes were already goin' mushy, so I figured to jes' use it all up fer today. There was cause fer celebration anyways", she say, softly nudging the patient as she herself sits down at the worn table to eat.

"But just you wait, I'll have that garden up in a jiffy", she beams, "and I knows a trick or two fer makin' em grow..."

After dinner, she helps Cole with the dishes, making a point of thanking him profusely for his assistance and shoos him away when most of the work is done. "You go now, honey, an' do more important things than this old job o'mine. Off ya go!"

Aneurin
2012-10-19, 06:17 PM
Jack

As Sia wheels in their guest, Jack gives him a nod. While everyone's distracted by the new arrival, however, he takes a moment to "drop" a few pieces of protein that are almost immediately engulfed by Cap'n Rogue.

It's against the ship's rules to feed the cat at meal times, naturally, but, hey, captain's privilege. Besides, table food is part of the rent Jack pays to Rogue for use of her ship.

"This is quite possibly best meal I've ever had on this ship, or any other. Last cook we had on board, well, let's just say that the man could burn a boiled egg and leave it at that. Long as you cook like this, you have a place here,"

As Lei comes in, he grins.

"Thanks, mei-mei. I'll head up to the bridge in a moment, drop our mutual friend a Wave and let him know when we'll be on his hunk of rock,"

To Sia's question he adds; "The plan is to head to Regina, but we're stopping on some piece of nowhere to pick up a few passengers and some cargo first. Won't put us much out of our way,"


When dinner is done, and the dishes cleared, he scoops up Rogue and, draping her across his shoulders, makes his way down the stairs after Lei; albiet at a more sedate pace.

He settles in to the captain's chair and runs a fond eye over the much-used consoles. He rests his elbows on the command console before him, and lets out a long sigh. The Alpha Panda, in spite of her years of hard service, is in good shape. Converted from Evac ship to gunship to cargo ship; blasted, broken and shot down and she's barely feeling her age.

Jack runs a loving hand over the display screens in front of him, before smiling faintly and Lei.

"Ship's yours. Take her away,"

Adlan
2012-10-19, 06:50 PM
Episode 1 - The Derelict
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/Fireflyopeninglogo.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6avwLCfYHA)

2 Days Previously, May 22nd, 2518
A Mantis Class ship is equipped with a wide variety of sensors, and some were even refitted during the war, using the wide wings to mount various sensors for triangulation on underground or otherwise hidden enemy positions. But when it comes Alpha Panda, the sensitivity might be somewhat less than in her glory days.

Creed
2012-10-19, 08:30 PM
Morgan stands off to the side of the bridge, leaning up against the wall, arms crossed across his chest. The silent man makes no bones about the two pistols sitting comfortably on his hip, and his eyes gaze out into the black of the 'Verse.

cgrela
2012-10-19, 08:34 PM
A soft ping draws Lei's attention to her screens. It was the ship's nighttime cycle, and the lights were dimmed. The glow of the screens illuminated the bridge in soft blue light. Lei touched the screen, and dragged the pulsating icon to the center screen, and expanded it. "Huh, something out on the edges. Lets see, what are you?" She starts up an active scan, reaching with electromagnetic hands to caress the distant response.

Alertness [roll0]+Ship's Perception [roll1]
Intelligence [roll2]+ Tech Use[roll3]

Unkabear
2012-10-19, 09:11 PM
A small tapping sounds could be heard for a moment, echoing in the distance. A small garden is set up, a few tomato's looking ripe hang on the vine, expanding, showing other herbs and vegitables in various states of ripening, eventually shown to be in a crate. The crate is then shown to be under the stairs in a cargo bay. The tapping sound could still be heard.

Scanning up the stairs a dining area could be seen, a kitchen off to the side, then going down another set of stairs the tapping gets louder, swinging around a corridor and through a door a small room with doors to either side and a few terminals could be seen.

Then the tapping sound comes from below. Looking down and then through an access hatch, down a small ladder and eventually into an access tube filled with the internals of a ship, not nearly as clean as the above rooms, yet still kept in order, and clean despite the necessary greases and oils.

A large man first silhouettes then looks out of proportion, his arm, his right arm too large for an already large man. The arm comes down, and finally a part drops into place.

Tap had to make due, the part was designed for a Scythe not a Mantis, and though he had filed it down already, it was still a little tight with the surrounding metal heated up and expanded ever so slightly. The backup life support began to cycle again. The man smiled and stared off into the distance for a moment, seeing something beyond his normal sight.

"Alright Lei, secondary life support back up, everything can go to hell now."

Missed the opening post, oh well.

Lentrax
2012-10-19, 10:12 PM
Dr. Sia Ling wakes up, her limbs in a various state of entanglement with her bunkmate, Cole. Pulling her arm out from under his neck, she walks over to a drawer, and pulls out some clothes. For just a moment, she sees the white dress she had made so long ago... She closes the drawer, dressing quickly.

Shirt, pants, boots. A pistol in a holster still hangs from her mirror. She has time to grab it if need be. Pulling a worn beaten old brown duster off its hanger, Sia throws it on and heads down to the bridge.

"Hey Jack. What's our agenda today?" A large cat jumps down from a console and runs her legs, purring like a Diesel engine. Sia picks up the cat and scratches behind her ears. "Hey, Captain. I know" her voice takes on a cute higher pitch. "you are part of my agenda too, captain. There's our good Cap'n."

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-19, 10:39 PM
Gregoire
... all I'm sayin' Cap'n is, I'm not feelin' overly useful aboard this bird. At least Miss Grace's a fine cook; I feel like I'm just takin' up valuable real estate ta no purpose. Take me on yer next ground mission, s'all I ask; a nice word're three might make things smoother... an' if things go rough, my ah, tactical insights might... says Greg to Jack on the bridge, but as Sia enters, he stops talking. He tips his hat to the ship's medic. Evenin', Doc. What's got y'all up at this hour?

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 01:18 AM
Cole starts as he hears the door slide closed, staring around the room through the dim lighting and the fogginess of sleep.

"Sia?", he whispered into the room. Hearing no reply, he knew she had left without lifting his head from his pillow. He rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, bit it didn't find him again. It wasn't unusual for Sia to have a restless night, what with all the lun duan chi things she had seen... but sometimes she really just needed to talk and didn't think it was worth waking Cole for; he often begged to differ.

Rubbing his eyes and then his temples in a circular pattern, he exhaled slowly and then swung his legs over the edge of the bed. Sitting upright, he leaned forward on his hands and yawned. He shook his head, as if slinging the remaining exhaustion off like water.

-----o-----o-----o-----o-----

Cole entered the bridge, still rolling his T-shirt down the rest of the way. He shivered once and crossed his arms across his wide chest. Taking in the atmosphere in the room, he looked from person to person for clues.

"Everything shiny?"

Creed
2012-10-20, 02:08 AM
As Cole walks in, Morgan shrugs and points a finger over to Lei and the sensor array. The silent man takes a few steps towards the console. then looks at Cole. His eyes dart from Cole. then over to Sia and the cat.
Morgan offers a shrug again as explanation, and walks over to Lei's console, looking over her shoulder at the sensor readings.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 02:28 AM
Sia is still scratching behind the cat's ears as the question is asked.

"Sia, Sia!"

I can't, not yet. They've been bringing more casualties in, I can't leave my patients yet. I'm the only doctor left in this place, I've had soldiers sending that wave out since we got hit, but they're still coming. I can't hold on, I'm starting to lose it.

Sia looks up from her scratching of Cap'n Rogue."Just couldn't sleep."

cgrela
2012-10-20, 06:26 AM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"谢谢, Tap. Sorry, but I don't think you'll be able to get to sleep quite yet. I'm picking up a ship way out from where it should be. Nothing wrong with it, but she ain't movin'. I'm gonna go check it out.

Lei frowns Captain, something ain't right. I'm taking us in for a closer look. Lei's fingers fly over the keyboards. "Unknown ship, this is Alpha Panda. Are you in distress?" She looks at her screens. "Now I'm getting a distress beacon. Not nearly strong as it should be though.

Rolls
Intelligence [roll0]+ Tech-use (communications) [roll1]

Translations
谢谢=thank you

Creed
2012-10-20, 08:59 AM
Morgan sees the ship and looks over to the captain, to whom he offers a short nod. He then walks out of the bridge and to the crew quarters. He's digging through footlockers in a second, grabbing his weapons and spare ammunition.

As soon as he saw that ship, Morgan's first thought was pirates. But it would be much worse for wear if the ship had been barraged by cannons. The second thought was much worse:
Reavers.
Either way, the soldier thought as he popped a clip into his assault rifle, he'd need these soon enough.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 11:02 AM
Sia
Bridge

"Jack, we should go check it out. There may be folks needin' our help."

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 11:12 AM
Greg
Bridge
If their distress beacon's weak, they might be tryin' ta conserve power fer life support; s'only thing more important than the beacon. I'm thinkin' that if folks're needin' rescuing, it'd best happen lickety-split, Cap'n.

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 01:12 PM
Cole
Bridge

As the situation began to escalate with the trickling in of new information about the ship called 'Buck', Cole crossed to Sia and took her hand. These scenarios often played out extremely poorly, and the scene onboard a derelict ship was usually pretty grisly. People marooned out in the black certainly couldn't abandon ship very easily... even taking an escape pod was a gamble if you were too far from a terraformed rock. Cole was reminded of a story he had heard not long ago where a man had tried to start a fire, out of desperation, to ward off the freeze of space. He apparently had a small leak in the oxygen line of the ship, and... well, the crew that found the ship only found about half of her. The crewman they never found.

Whatever they were about to discover, it wasn't going to be pretty. Maybe she was abandoned and no one would have to look into the face of Death today.

When the Captain gave the order, Cole hugged the doctor and gave her a quick kiss and a knowing smile. He then left the bridge and equipped himself with both armor and his arms.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 01:42 PM
Sia
Bridge

Cole kissing her was a surprise. Not that she didn't mind it, she just thought they were keeping things a secret. She was sure everyone already knew, after all you can't keep secrets on a boat this size, but still...

That gorram idiot... At least it was quick.

Too bad it wasn't longer.

"I'm going to head down and get my bag. There may be wounds as needs some patchin' up." With a nod to the others, and another scratch behind the ears for the Cap'n, Sia leaves the bridge.

Sia heads down to the medbay, and pulls out a worn pink bag, emblazoned with a red cross with a caduceus in its center.

St. Leana's Hospital and MedAcad - Ariel
"I'm so proud of you, Sia." Sia's father kisses her on the cheek. "My daughter, the Doctor. I have something for you. It cost your mom and I most of our savings, but we wanted you to know how proud we are for achieving so much." Reaching into the skycar, he pulls out a bright shiny new Medbag. It is her favorite shade of pink, and has her name embroidered into its side.

Medbay- Alpha Panda

Sia runs her finger along the name emroidered on the side of the bag. Sia Ann Ling, M.D. A tear runs down her face at the memory.

Her voice is barely a whisper. "I love you, Dad."

Aneurin
2012-10-20, 01:54 PM
Jack - Bridge of the Alpha Panda

He waves a hand at Sia as she enters, but most of Jack's attention is on Greg;

"If you can learn to shoot worth a damn, I'll take you with us; otherwise, you can do your tactical insights from board the ship. You can do the milk runs, but the heavy jobs? You're on back up here with Lei, ready to pull us out if things get too hot-"

Jack's about to say more, when the sensors ping, and he leans in to listen to Lei and the following debate; he keeps his peace, though, 'til the others have had their say. Leaning forward, he punches up an image of the ship on his command console.

"I prefer a quiet beacon to a loud one. Means it's less likely a trap," Jack pauses for a long, long moment staring at the derelict. "...all right. Take us in closer, Lei, but keep trying to hail her. Keep the Panda's eyes open, though. Don't want any surprises here,"

cgrela
2012-10-20, 01:57 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Ok, 船长. I'm taking us in. I'm showing nothing around us for a few hundred thousand klicks, and Buck doesn't have enough juice left in her to power a slingshot, much less anything real nasty. Might as well dock.

With a practiced hand, Lei glides Alpha Panda to Buck's main airlock. The solid and reassuring thunk of docking clamps locking sounds from above. Ok, we're locked in. Life support is probably down. You'll want to go aboard suited up. I'll stay here in case we need to make a fast break. Lei gazes up at Buck, looking for any obvious signs of damage.

Alertness [roll0]+ Perception [roll1]
Intelligence [roll2] + Mechanical Engineering [roll3] (to see if she can identify the cause of any noticed external damage)

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 02:00 PM
Greg
Bridge
The tactician doesn't seem pleased, but he nods. Guess we'll haveta talk later, Cap'n, seein' as we've more pressin' business. I'll do what I can ta help the team suit up and git Doc's place ready fer any survivors, meanwhile, replies Greg somewhat dejectedly before following Cole and Sia off the bridge.

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 02:27 PM
Cole
Cole & Sia's bunk

Cole places his hand against the wall to steady himself as the Alpha Panda must've docked, the slight impact shifting the large man a little. He then finished strapping his pistol into its holster, his knife into its sheath, and grabbing his shotgun. The soldier then looked to his cache of grenades - a brief moment of hesitation and then, nah... he closed the container. He then headed to the airlock to get suited up into one of the ship's vacuum suits.

Aneurin
2012-10-20, 02:30 PM
Jack
Bridge

As the Panda closes on the derelict, Jack tugs a key on a chain from over his head, and tosses it to Greg.

"Open the weapon's locker and get a boarding party kitted out. Seal off all the airlocks around the cargo bay. I'll join you, when I tie up a few loose ends here,

Picking up the shipboard com's handset, Jack begins to speak, taking great care to be clear and loud. The somewhat antiquated speaker system crackles to life as the message is bounced all over the ship.

"This is the captain speaking. You may have noticed we've made a slight change in course; we've just picked up a distress beacon from a derelict, and we're going over to check for survivors.

A boarding party's being assembled by the front airlock; if you want to be on it, go and speak to Greg. Everyone else, stand by for further updates. We aren't expecting trouble, but when you aren't expecting is usually when you find it." Hanging the com back up, Jack turns to Lei and speaks quietly.

"Anything happens, you rabbit, got it? Don't risk the ship. You can always come back for us, but without the Panda we're all sunk. Anything else you can give me on her?" he adds, raising his voice again and nodding towards the drifting Buck.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 02:31 PM
Sia
Medbay

Sia takes her bag and goes to her quarters where she finds Cole strpping guns to his armor. Reaching around him, she helps fasten the last of the straps and circles her arms around his neck before giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Don't do anything stupid, Cole. I don't like seeing people I care for laying on my table." Breaking their embrace before things can get too far and someone starts to miss them, Sia dons her armorweave and straps her pistol to her waist.

Properly armed, Sia makes her way to the airlock.

Unkabear
2012-10-20, 02:41 PM
Tap - Neck deep in Ship vitals

Tap hears what Lei has to say & nods to himself as he begins to extract himself from the tubes. by the time he cleared the Access Hatch everyone was rushing about, Tap began to make his way to the cargo bay, going through his mind what he would need to do to crack an airlock from the outside if he needed to.


Though he would not be a part of the boarding party, Tap still lets Greg know that where he is so that he can get them into the other ship in a timely manner.

cgrela
2012-10-20, 02:53 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Lei grins, "Got it! Leave you all to die. She turns towards the screens, looking for schematics of Buck, or at least vessels of its type.

Intelligence [roll0]+ Tech-use [roll1]
Will edit below based on roll
That gives me a success on a hard action.

Here we go, deckplans. She pulls up Buck's last known public deckplans. Fairly simple layout. Bridge is forward top, galley and common area is forward bottom. Berths are amidship, both levels, and its a big wide open cargo bay aft, along with the engine room. I'm gonna see if I can't get into her systems from here, see what might be wrong.

Aneurin
2012-10-20, 03:09 PM
Jack
Bridge

Jack rises and heads to Lei's console to peer over her shoulder as she points out the different areas of the ship, nodding from time to time.

"Good work, mei-mei. Can you tell me where we're most likely to find any survivors, too?" Without waiting for an answer, he gives her a playful clip around the head that does little more than muss Lei's hair. "And you're supposed to run away and then come rescue us, dummy,"

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 03:09 PM
Greg
Forward Airlock
Now don't y'all go an' git yerselves spaced. We're puttin' damn near all our guns in one broke-ass basket right now, jokes Greg as he helps the members of the away team into the vacuum suits. An' Lei, see if y'all can pull up pictures a damage dealt by a Boardin' Ram on that console a yers. That hole in the side y'all lit up nice an' pretty's lookin' mighty familiar... he adds over the comm.

cgrela
2012-10-20, 03:15 PM
I can't roll in an edit, so therefore double-post

Something bit into her deep, Lei says, pointing at the deep gash in Buck's side. I'm not certain what it is though. Give me a minute more, see if I can find her log.

If they had any sense, anybody still onboard will climb into the smallest space they can find and stuff it full of whatever warm thing they can find. I'm guessing either a crew cabin, the engine room, or a cargo crate.

Intelligence [roll0]+ Tech-use (hacking) [roll1]

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 03:32 PM
Cole
Cole & Sia's Bunk

Cole responded simply, "I'll do my best, Sia. If you're going, I want you behind me, at least by a step or two."

Forward Airlock

Once Cole's suit was sealed and locked up, he cycled a round into his shotgun and checked to make sure that the safety was engaged. Shouldering the weapon, he stepped into the airlock and awaited the pressurization. He activated his comm.

"Testing... channel one... You read me, Lei? Greg?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 03:43 PM
Greg
Forward Airlock
Yup, I'm readin' y'all loud an' clear. Y'all prob'ly already figured this, but don't worry too much 'bout salvage. Focus on survivors; if this ship was boarded, anythin' a value's prob'ly gone, 'cept human lives. Greg then turns his attention to Sia. Y'all plannin' on boardin', Doc? If that's the case, best tell me what I can do ta make sure yer office's nice an' tidy fer any guests we might find ourselves entertainin' this evenin'. Once the away team is suited up, Greg retreats to the bridge or the med bay, wherever his somewhat limited talents are most useful.

Creed
2012-10-20, 03:51 PM
Morgan
Forward Airlock

Morgan comes into the airlock area, his shirt tucked in, his pistols tucked into his waistband, his assault rifle slung over one shoulder.
He looks over the assembled, then nods to Cole.
He places his weapons on the ground, then pulls his suit on, strapping the guns over it, and confirming with a nod that channel 1 is open.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 03:51 PM
Sia
Forward Airlock

"Course I'm goin." Sia replies as she starts putting on a suit. "Keep the medbay doors open, I've kept that bay ready for anything for some time now. Just be ready to keep anyone alive if I need time to strip out of my suit."

Hearing the familiar hiss of her suit expeling her current CO2, Sia checks her radio. Satisfied everyone can hear her, Sia picks up her bag and readies herself to cycle the airlock.

Erasmas
2012-10-20, 04:07 PM
Once all the rest of the boarding crew were in the chamber, Cole nodded to Sia to activate the airlock.

No time like the present, he thought to himself as he turned on the headlamp on his suit and moved to the exterior door.

Narmoth
2012-10-20, 04:11 PM
Adrian Starr
Derelict Ship

"Very well. This is an unfortunate situation..." Adrian says out in the air the curses.
He tries to open the cabin hatch, and when he finds it shut, he curses again.
Might just as well go through it and hope for the best than to die here he thinks as he points his gaus pistol at the hatch, then thinks again and gets the emergency tank first. He then puts his ear to the door and tries to listen for any sounds

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-20, 04:15 PM
Greg
Bridge
Alright, Tap, Lei, Cap'n, ready on yer go-aheads, says Greg, taking his spot on the bridge. He reaches down a gloved hand to pat Captain Rogue, but the cat seems not to like the leather garment and backs away. Don't worry, Cap'n, left the shockers in my quarters. These're plain ol' leather, he reassures the cat, before turning his focus back to the mission at hand.

cgrela
2012-10-20, 05:13 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

I read you, Cole. Try and salvage any good parts.Ok, now, 敲敲! Lei orders the airlocks of both ships open.

Translation
敲敲=knock knock

Aneurin
2012-10-20, 05:24 PM
Jack
Bridge

With a grin, Jack pushes himself away from the pilot's station and heads in to his own room to suit up. His suit is an old Independent-issue one, with a touch more protective plating over a couple of vital areas than a normal vacuum suit, and a smaller, more military-looking faceplate. The final addition is a heavy-looking cutlass in a magnetic sheath that normally hangs in pride of place over the bunk, and a pair of concussion grenades from under the false bottom in his footlocker.

Fully suited, he moves at speed through the long-familiar passages of the ship, unconsciously brushing his fingertips along the bulkheads at the corners. He soon joins the boarding party in the airlock, and gives them each a nod in turn.

"Doc, you know the drill - keep in the middle of the group. Everyone else have your eyes open, wits about you and try not to get shot; these suits don't keep you breathing so good with holes in them,"

Unkabear
2012-10-20, 09:53 PM
Tap sets himself in place behind the group, a sentinel between the two ships. Happy that Lei got both open from her end, it was always faster to let a ship open itself.

Lentrax
2012-10-20, 10:43 PM
it could be worse, Sia thought to herself. Jack could have made me stay on the Panda.

Sia steps through with the rest of the crew, staying close to Cole. Her light plays over the sights of this side of the airlock, looking for anyone who may need help.

Creed
2012-10-20, 11:13 PM
Morgan
Forward Airlock

As the airlocks open, Morgan steps forward to point, raising his rifle He advances into hold of the Buck, and looks around, passing his headlights over the contents of the room.
If all seems clear of life, he motions for the others to come up behind him.

Erasmas
2012-10-21, 01:33 AM
Cole
Airlocks of the Alpha Panda & Buck

Cole fell into step directly behind Morgan, covering him around corners and sweeping an entrance into a new space opposite the mute man; if Morgan went right, Cole went left... always coming back to the group when nothing was found.

Anything immediately portable of value or use to the crew that fell under his light, the soldier snatched up and passed back behind him without even looking at who was taking it from him.

Sunfall
2012-10-21, 03:31 AM
Grace Willows, Cargo Bay

(earlier)
The darkened cargo bay is only illuminated by a soft square of light, coming out of an old container tucked away in the corner of the bay. A soft humming can be heard inside, the melody of an old melancholy lullaby, said to origin on Earth-That-Was, having come into new popularity during the War. Grace, who doesn't seem to sleep much, had already been up, happily banging around stuff and setting things up when the captain's announcement came.

She looks up, a worried frown on her face, and proceeds to wipe her hands on rag, stepping from the container.

(now)
Grace steps onto the bridge, dodging a low beam and ducking under some of Lei's cables that seem to be everywhere in here, as if a vat full of electric spaghetti exploded.

"Hey, hon", she says to Lei, leaning over the diminutive pilot's shoulder. "They're already over there, ain't they? Anythin' I can do ter help?" Her gaze falls upon the hole in the derelict ship, pulled up on one of the monitors. "Oh my - that's lookin' bad. Peculiar way fer a ship ter get damaged, though, innit?" She takes a puzzled look at the sensor readings.

Intelligence [roll0] + Scientific expertise (if applicable) [roll1]

(For reading the sensors correctly and gauging whether any of this looks familiar...)

cgrela
2012-10-21, 08:58 AM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"Yep, they're taking a look for anything good. Want to make any requests?" Lei looks back up at the gash in Buck. "I'm not sure about the ship. I've been going through the logs, trying to see if they say something about what happened.She never stood a chance. Something like that happens, the whole world goes in a second. My family's ship had a bad hull breach once. Comet tore a hole right through my home. Luckily, it was in the cargo hold, and the airlocks shut immediately. Still, nothing like seeing 200 tons of rice shoot out of the side of a ship like a geyser."

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-21, 09:27 AM
Greg
Bridge
As Grace enters, Greg stands and tips his hat. Evenin', Miss Grace, he says respectfully, before sitting back down. An' Lei, I done telled ya, that there hole was made by a boardin' ram. I'd bet my hat on it.

Voltaire
2012-10-21, 10:27 AM
Shooter was bored. Waiting in his bunk seemed downright furtive to him. But a long time ago, there was a man called Murphy, and he made a law that said 'never volunteer for anything'. So he didn't. And he certainly wasn't going to start with slipping into a girly little suit that was going to be the only thing between him and the black cold, while on a derelict ship made derelict by Lord knows what. Shooter's momma was a smart woman, and she taught him better than that. What was it? Discretion? The better part of valor?

Still, the situation nagged him to the point where he found himself striding purposefully onto the bridge, shortly after Grace did the same.

'Good eve-, morn- ... ing, Captain!' Stirling said to the boss cheerfully, before turning to Grace and Lei, tipping his hat, 'M'am! And, uhh, m'am. So, how are them boys and, uhh... girl... doin' over there? Not dead yet? Good, good. Listen, y'all, if anything from over there yonder - anything unwholesome - makes its way over here, well, I promise you, I'll show 'em a real good time, now. Mah gun's always loaded. Just, uhh, stay me the hell away from airlocks, y'hear? I do not have a likin' for the black cold.'

Sunfall
2012-10-21, 10:29 AM
Grace, Bridge

"Hmmm, wouldn't they look fer survivors first? But thank you m'dear, I'm good. I reckon the Cap'n an' folks can decide very well fer 'emselves what could be useful. Oh, hello Mr. Reaufort, dinnae see ya standin' there..."

When Greg voices his suspicions, the old woman grows a shade paler. "Well, I'm not sure if it looks ter me like a comet's gone through, but a boardin' ram!?"

cgrela
2012-10-21, 03:03 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"Ah, yep, boarding ram it is. Take a look at the sensor logs." Lei points to a line on the screen that suddenly jumps up in the middle "Right here, the kinetic force applied to hull spikes. Overall though, somethings wrong. I'm just getting the logs from what cached in the sensors. They must've turned off the central database soon as they got on. " Lei frowns. Stirling, you might want to go up to the main passage, just make sure nothing comes back unwelcome from Buck. A few quick keystrokes, and Lei is broadcasting to the crew on Buck. Keep your eyes open. The ship was hit by a boarding ram, and the crew turned off just about everything useful as soon as they got on board. There is no manifest of crew list that I can find. No log, nothing.

Sunfall
2012-10-21, 04:02 PM
Grace, Bridge

The old woman's features distort into an expression of extreme discomfort as she sits down on one of the chairs in the back of the bridge, the bluish light of the monitors reflecting eerily on her worn features.

"Lao tyen yeh", she says quietly. "I've seen quite a bit o' piratin' in my time, but... Cuttin' that bitta metal open what keeps us all from floatin' out there, tha's just... tha's..."

She shoots a worried look at Shooter, who had just voiced his fear of open space. "Are ye quite alright, lad?"

+++

Translation:
My God!

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-21, 04:08 PM
Greg
Bridge
S'long as the raider ship's still attached, there prob'ly ain't much loss a' atmosphere. S'when they leave that things go pear-shaped... reflects Greg. Now, admittedly, I dunno much about ships. Never really much liked em', t'be honest, 'cept 'course when they're the only thing 'twixt me an' the black, but ships on a long trip go too fast to accurately ram em', don't they? So, even if we don't have the logs, this bird must've been goin' some'ere close, am I right?

Aneurin
2012-10-21, 04:10 PM
Jack
Buck's Airlock

Following the others down the passageway, Jack pauses for a moment to answer Lei.

"Thanks for the heads up. Are we alone over here, or should we expect some company soon?" he glances at the others - which in a space suit, involves basically turning around to stare at them head on. "We'll split up. Cole and Sia; head for the crew quarters, look for survivors.

I'll head down to the cargo bay with Morgan, to try and seal of some bulkheads so's we can pump her full of air and get any survivors out alive. It's not much of a rescue if all you do is watch the blood boil out of their ears because you opened the wrong door.

I know you've all heard this often enough, but I ain't losing any of you to a rookie mistake; so keep together, and keep in touch. Dohn ma?"


The airlock doors slide together with a thump that can be felt through the deckplates.

Creed
2012-10-21, 05:42 PM
Morgan
Buck's Airlock

Morgan nods at the captain's instructions, and looks for stairs, an elevator, even a simple ladder down to the cargo bay.

You're the boss, boss, he thinks to himself, But if there's anything aboard that wants to gouge our eyes out, it's not going to be in the cargo bay. Sure hope the doctor can handle a gun if somethings comes up.

Erasmas
2012-10-21, 06:34 PM
Cole
The Buck

"Dohn ma, Cap... you ain't gotta tell me twice."

Cole started making his way towards the quarters, carefully checking his corners and behind any hidey spots that they came across. Once they got there, he gently rapped on the first door that found, waiting several long seconds for a response before opening the door. Before he started, he turned to Sia.

"I know you know yer business, Sia, and I ain't tryin' to tell you what to do... just don't jump if and when we find somebody that needs yer help. We need to figure out who they are first."

Voltaire
2012-10-21, 07:45 PM
'Alright, m'am! Sounds swell.'

Tipping his hat to the women and the cat, Shooter strode off, bee-lining for the main access corridor. There was no shame in making sure that asses were covered. Asses were very important to people. They provided cushioning. He was going to protect their cushioning.

Once he was there though, things got awkward. How was he going to go about the protecting? Should he get behind a box, pistol drawn? Should he just stand there, waiting, like some kind of idiot?

Eventually, he decided to just take his hat off, chew his jerky and take a load off, leaning against the harshly metallic wall. A yawn or two escaped his lips. He rubbed his eyes a little and looked at the airlock. Still kind of close.

Lentrax
2012-10-21, 10:05 PM
Sia
Aboard the Buck

Before Cole can turn away, Sia puts a hand on his shoulder. She holds up Three fingers, to let him know what frequency she is on.

"You know I can hold my own, Cole. You know I was at Serenity Valley. And that changed all of us. Most of us who were there will never be able to leave. but I can do the job, love"

She puts her hand from her faceplate to his, transferring a kiss between them.

"C'mon, let's go."

Narmoth
2012-10-22, 02:37 AM
Adrian Starr
Derelict Ship

Adrian starts to look for any alternative exits from his cabin. Musing quickly on the plumbing system, he decides that he'll rather risk the airless corridor and continues searching

Erasmas
2012-10-22, 10:00 AM
Cole
Aboard the Buck

"I know."

That was all that Cole replied, before he set himself back to the task at hand. Once they reached the first of the crew's quarters, he rapped three times on the steel door. Hearing no reply, he opened the room and leveled his shotgun... only to realize that the person in the room was only still sitting upright because they had frozen that way. A hole, no more than the size of Cole's fists, was punched through the back wall of the room near the ceiling. The twinkle of starlight could be seen through the hull breech. Poor bastard, the soldier thought to himself before moving on. Cole found similar situations in almost every room... dead, possibly from head trauma from the impact... dead, depressurization... dead, lifesupport system to room compromised...

And then finally, when he knocked on one room, there was a response.

cgrela
2012-10-22, 12:32 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"黑色是空的, 船长. I'll keep any eye out, 但是我们是在不着村后不着。If anybody over there could figure out why she's off, I might be able to get her started from here."

Translations:
黑色是空的, 船长. = The black is empty, captain.
但是我们是在不着村后不着 = but we are in the middle of nowhere

Sunfall
2012-10-22, 01:18 PM
Grace, Bridge

It takes Grace a moment to gather her wits after Shooter leaves. Then she blinks and turns to Lei. "Did he jes' call me Ma'am?"

She listens to Lei's transmission, after which she repeats her initial offer: "If ya need ter remote-control the Buck, hon, do ya need someone ter watch the black for ya? I'm na totally useless 'round sensors..."

She maybe wouldn't admit it, but at the moment she feels safest here, on the bridge. At least, if something happens, in here you'll probably know what hit ye.

Unkabear
2012-10-22, 11:15 PM
Tap sits and waits by the airlocks, knowing that they can be cycled from the bridge, but is ready in case there was any difficulty that needed manual work done.

Lentrax
2012-10-23, 09:31 AM
Sia
Crew Quarters, Buck

Sia waits paitently as Cole goes about knocking on doors.

She haits waiting, especially here, this close to the black. It reminds her of just how fragile life is, to require a suit that keeps her from swelling up like a gāisǐ* melon.

It reminds her of the War, of all those kids on her table, kids who will never be whole again. Kids. That was who fought the war. High Command just told 'em where to- Cole was taking longer at this door, was something behind it?

"What is it, Cole?"

*Gāisǐ: Damn (according to google translate, anyway.)

Erasmas
2012-10-23, 11:43 AM
"You didn't feel that?"

Cole pressed his hand up to the door once more, straining to feel for what he thought he felt the first time through his feet. The soldier knocks again, louder this time.

"I swear, Sia... I felt somebody move nearby. They might be in here! Here, feel this door... it's all bowed out... the room on the other side must still be song shway pressurized! We're gonna need extra Vac Suits."

Cole kept his hand on the door while he switched his commlink back over to Channel 1.

"Cap... Morgan... if you read me... we may have survivors here in the crew's quarters. Did you find any of the ship's Vac Suits? We're gonna need to re-pressurize this corridor and suit up anyone we find!"


Translation: song shway = 'Random expletive'.

Narmoth
2012-10-23, 03:45 PM
Adrian Starr
Derelict ship

"My luck be damned!" Adrian whispers as something bumps into the door from the outside. It could be some object moving in zero gravity, or someone could be trying to get in. Or something? Could it be something? Adrian had heard tales of beasts living in outer space and had laughed of them. That is, until now. There was something out there, and by the conditions of, well, everything, that was something bad.... Really bad.
Well, if there was no pressure on the outside, that would be the end of everything when the door went up, but he would at least get a shot on it first. Oxygen would flow out fast, but the gaus gun could maybe get a shot first.
So Adrian readies his gun and waits....

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-23, 04:06 PM
Greg
Bridge
The tactician appears to have been lost in thought for a moment or two, and then speaks. Y'know, I'm not seein' any signs a damage other than that Boardin' Ram hole. No mag-grapplers, no grazing collision. A direct hit like that, wit' no hullabaloo... I'm thinkin' might be that Buck 'ere was a sittin' duck, 'scuse the rhyme. Respondin' to a distress call, or waitin' fer a meet. Crackin' a bird's a bad way to go. Only do that ta people what's pissed y'all off real bad... he muses, sounding somewhat worried. Y'all trainin' yer sensors on the Black, Lei? I'd not like to be treated to the same welcome them who was on Buck got...

Aneurin
2012-10-23, 06:06 PM
Jack
Angel On My Shoulder, many years ago

"...this...automated distress beacon...respond...Criti-... Sys-...Failure...This is the Independant ship...-ince Rurik...auto-...-eacon..."

The rest of the message is finally drowned out by static.

Ahead of the ship, a badly damaged ship is turning slow circles in the Black. She's clearly in a bad way. The decals on her side spell out the name; Prince Rurik.

Jack thumbs at - and then just thumps - the control panel in an effort to raise the distress beacon again, but even the static dies away. They'd picked up the beacon a long way off, but as they'd followed it, it had weakened to virtually nothing.

Jack
Buck's Cargo Bay, here and now

The final airlock door slams shut with a dull vibration. The empty darkness of the hold is disturbing, to say the least. Anything in the cargo bay that wasn't taken in the attack, clearly went with all the atmosphere and must be drifting in space.

Jack pauses for a long moment to stare through a viewing panel in to the hold, and suppresses a shiver. There's nothing worse than a dead ship. A ship is a living, breathing thing with personality, thoughts and history... seeing one just floating's almost as bad as seeing a corpse.

At that moment, the radio comes to life.

"...right. We hear you, Cole. We're about done down here; we'll head up to the bridge and try and find a way start her up," Jack says after listening for a moment. "Try and seal off the passageway between where you are and the airlock, in case we've missed hull breaches. We'll look for those suits, but it might be easier to bring one over from the Panda instead,"

Jack taps Morgan on the shoulder, and points down the passageway - at the end of it, a shadowy set of stairs vanishes up in to the gloom that's barely illuminated by the lights on the suits.

"You can take point,"

cgrela
2012-10-23, 06:40 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Lei turns to Grace and sticks her tongue out. "I think so, 老女子. A second pair of eyes wouldn't hurt. A few keystrokes, and a screen at another station springs to life, replicating the same readings on Lei's sensor screen. "Feeling better now, Greg?" she says with a smile. Of course, maybe we ought to switch the guns to active status, just in case..."

When Cole's transmission comes in, she lets out a small whoop of excitement. "Yay! Somebody survived! Stirling, they need a vac suit. There should still be some near the shuttles. Tap, be ready with the tools. We might need to get creative to get the suit to whoever's over there without them, you know, exploding, freezing, and suffocating simultaneously."


老女子=old woman

Sunfall
2012-10-23, 07:05 PM
Grace, Bridge

Grace smiles fondly at Lei and takes her place at the sensor station, keeping a keen eye on the readings from outer space around them.

She frowns at Greg's musings about this probably being personal and she really doesn't care for that talk about people mayhap coming back... Nope, no harm at all in watching the black a bit more closely while the others are busy with the derelict ship's corpse.

Creed
2012-10-23, 07:59 PM
Morgan Blake
Buck's Cargo Bay

Morgan stares at the captain for a split second, then nods and walks calmly down the hallway, making a point of leaving his rifle hanging comfortably at his side: not at the ready, but easily within arm's reach.

Whatever is on this boat, the soldier thinks to himself, It's not worth the risk of getting caught by whatever did this.

Erasmas
2012-10-24, 10:16 AM
"Aye, sir."

Cole immediately began searching for the control panel that may allow him to pressurize the corridor. But before doing so, he turned to Sia and switched his commlink back over the Channel 3. He then moves back over to the door and pounds on it with the meat of his fist, after which he flattens his palm out on the metal once more, feeling for more of a response.

"Mei mei, can you head back on over to the airlocks and see if you can't rustle up some Vac Suits? We're gonna try n' pressurize the ship all the way back yonder to the Panda, but we may not be able to."

Lentrax
2012-10-24, 10:17 AM
Sia
Crew Quarters, Buck

Overhearing Jack's response to Cole, Sia starts looking for passage doors she can close to help repressurize this section of the ship.

Erasmas
2012-10-24, 11:46 AM
Cole isn't sure exactly how to go about getting the corridor pressurized, but he knows that it needs to at least be sealed up in order to do so. He slowly makes his way back towards the airlocks, helping Sia shut doors and hatches, whilst also looking for any less-than-obvious holes or breaches that could cause a problem.

cgrela
2012-10-24, 12:27 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Lei takes a look at the ships schematics, and compares them to the damage she can observe from the outside. You're going to need to close off the whole lower port side of the crew compartment, there isn't a single bulkhead I trust there. The cargo hold should be locked down already, but I have no way of knowing if the emergency systems actually activated. Same thing with the bridge.

Aneurin
2012-10-24, 05:42 PM
Jack
Angel On My Shoulder, many years ago

"Prince Rurik, this is Independent gunship Angel On My Shoulder. What's your status? Over."

Captain Wilkins leans over Jack's shoulder to speak in to the comm panel. The only answer, however, is a hiss of static. Wilkins frowns for a moment, then nods to himself.

"Take her in, Oregon. We'll take a closer look. I know Rurik; she's one of ours, alright, and has a damn good captain at that. If she's in trouble, it's something bad,"

"Yes, sir,"

Jack fires up the engine and begins coasting in; but even as he does so, he feels a twinge of doubt. Rurik looks like she's been in a heavy firefight; but where's her opponent?

Jack
Buck's command deck, here and now

With Morgan's help, the command deck's doors are pushed open; as it typical in these models, the bridge has the heaviest and best airlock, along with the engine. Whatever happens to the rest of the ship, if the pilot's alive and the engine's active there's a chance that someone will survive.

The cockpit's a mess, though. A litter of damaged consoles and ransacked personal belongings. Someone has clearly been through and taken everything they can get; either that, or they were looking for something in particular.

A few keystrokes on the battered console, though, has the old tramp freighter sputtering in to fitful life. Unfortunately, it's running - barely - on the reserve, which provides only the dullest of glows from the lights; barely enough to accentuate the darkness, much less dispel it.

A second set of keystrokes causes Jack to swear under his breath.

"Cole, Sia, Lei. We have power, but only the reserve. The joo fuen chse who attacked the ship have taken everything; support batteries, air tanks, everything. We're going to need Tap over here to try and get the engine back online; try and get primary life support back, though I doubt there'll be much of the system left intact.

Lei, you're right about the lower port side; whole thing's riddled with holes. I'll try and patch you in to the reports, if I can get comms going.

Morgan, you want to head back to the Panda, and play escort for Tap? I'll stay here and see what else I can coax out of Buck,"

Creed
2012-10-24, 06:38 PM
Morgan
Buck's Command Deck

Morgan nods to the captain, and takes his assault rifle off his shoulder, sitting it on the console next to Jack before turning to go back to the cargo bay.

The soldier wasn't sure what to make of the captain. He also wasn't sure of what the captain made of him. He hadn't mentioned his origins to the captain when he enlisted, and his current situation within the Cortex left the captain few ways to find out. The captain was clearly not a fan of the Alliance, that much was clear.
But if he didn't think Morgan was an Alliance soldier, where did the captain think the soldier came from?

Morgan's mind played over the possibilities as he knocked heavily on the airlock door back to the Panda.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-24, 06:45 PM
Greg
Bridge
I'll go help Tap with his vacsuit. We sendin' a spare o'er, Cap, or y'all still tryin' ta find one from Buck? Come t'think a it, how many a these things've we got?

Voltaire
2012-10-24, 09:24 PM
Stirling held the vacsuit uneasily, his eyes darting over its features. Such an unassuming thing. A plastic-y material, some tubes, a few gadgets... and it was supposed to protect you from the Cold Without End? Yeah, right. He shook his head.

'M'am, I've got the vacsuit. And I'll be right here, waitin' for someone to take it off mah hands. But, uhh, I ain't inclined to do a delivery run, if you catch mah meaning. I like mah liquids liquid, and mah solids defrosted. Sorry, but you don't pay ol' Shooter enough to risk that kind of noise. Or, uhh, lack thereof. There's no sound in space, is there? I don't think there is.'

And then Stirling heard the gentle rapping on the airlock door.

God dammit.

After checking that the other side was pressurized in every conceivable way, Shooter finally - and reluctantly - opened it.

Creed
2012-10-24, 10:47 PM
Morgan
Forward Airlock

Morgan walks through the airlock and points Shooter and the suit to Tap, holstering his pistol.

Erasmas
2012-10-25, 10:41 AM
Cole
Aboard the Buck

"Copy that, Jack. Shutting as much of the non-essential areas off as we can. Let's just hope this lodun panshee will hold with only part of her atmo'd up. Don't particularly wanna be on her if she decides to up and pop like a party balloon."

Cole continues to shut off any door that isn't absolutely necessary to getting someone from the crew quarters to the airlock. Since the Captain was saying the Buck had already been ransacked, there was little reason to look for salvage.

Lentrax
2012-10-25, 01:17 PM
Sia
Main Airlock

As soon as she is let through, Sia pulls off her helmet. Walking over to the comm panel, she punches in Jack's frequency.

"Jack, it's Sia. If its as bad as you say, I may need help rushing the survivor to the medbay. I also probably also won't have time to pull my suit off for emergency treatment. I'm staying aboard the Panda. If she holds enough atmo for me to go back, I will. Otherwise you may need to double time it here so I can treat him."

Sia begins stripping her suit off, then heads to the medbay.

Unkabear
2012-10-26, 12:31 AM
Tap
Airlock


Tap nodded to Morgan & went over to his suit. It was distinguishable from the others by two main things. One, it was by far larger than any other suit there, but also, the right arm was noticeably missing.

Tap had once tried to use a standard suit, but after one particularly hairy incident of his arm puncturing the suit, tap began altering a suit and his arm to create a seal at his shoulder.

"Time to play miracle worker eh?" he said to Morgan through the short range com.

Sunfall
2012-10-26, 07:05 AM
Grace, Bridge of Alpha Panda

When she hears that there might still be someone alive, Grace thankfully closes her eyes for a moment before refocusing on the outer sensors. Then she has an idea. "Say, Niū*", she addresses Lei, "Maybe now tha' the Cap'n - no, not you, hon", she interrupts herself, smiling, when Cap'n Rogue decides to jump onto the console in front of her, flopping down on the sensor readings she was watching.

Grace swoops the cat up in an affectionate embrace, setting her onto her lap and expertly cuddling her there. Then she continues, always keeping her eyes to her screens: "Now that the Cap'n has established some power over there, ya think ya could go an' try ter hack the comm system? Let whoever's still there know we're comin'? Poor mite's probab'ly sittin' in there with a gun trained on the door..."

She grins impishly, her lined face turning into a mask of mischief. "If ya can, that is - seems mighty hard from where I'm sittin'..."

* Little Girl

cgrela
2012-10-26, 08:18 AM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Well, wouldn't you know, that's just what I've been doing. Lei opens a channel into Buck's internal comm, and patches in the rest of the crew. Attention Buck, this is Alpha Panda. We found your ship derelict. We are attempting to render assistance. If you give us a few minutes, we should have the corridor repressurized. Medical assistance is standing by.

Erasmas
2012-10-26, 10:48 AM
Cole smiled as he heard Lei's voice through his commlink, speaking to the Buck. It meant that she got through, and that there might be some truth to his hunch about what he felt through that door. He quickly made his way back to the cabin and waited outside the door to see if the rest of the crew could figure out the pressurization issue.

"Positioned right outside the door. Waiting on atmo."

Narmoth
2012-10-26, 12:59 PM
Adrian Starr
Room in the Buck

Adrian looks for the button to the comlink in his room. There should be one... somewhere... if he just had paid attention when he was first shown the room...
"Or this could be a trap..." Adrian suddenly thinks out loud

Aneurin
2012-10-26, 05:08 PM
Jack
Angel On My Shoulder, many years ago

The airlocks kissed together softly, and there's barely any resistance to a remote airlock override by Prince Rurik. She's still not responding to hails, although the distress beacon is back at full strength.

Jack settles back at his console, his eyes glued on to the monitors, searching for any signs of approaching Alliance boats. Down below, Captain Wilkins leads the boarding party through the opposing airlock.

A disregarded monitor in the airlock shows what happens next; Wilkins suddenly motions a halt with a raised hand, and kneels to examine a book-sized object clamped to a wall. He makes an urgent gesture to the other boarders, ordering them away. But it's far, far too late as the squadkiller detonates in spectacular fashion.

Strategically placed charges throughout Rurik detonate at the same time, tearing away Angel On My Shoulder's hold, airlocks and half the crew quarters; Angel is ripped almost in two. There are a scant handful of survivors; the mechanic and her assistant sealed away in the the engine room in the first instant of the blast, and Jack and his navigator in the locked down command deck.

Jack
Buck's bridge, here and now

Visions of carnage float across Jack's eyes. Back during the war, the Alliance would capture Independent ships, fire up the distress beacon and leave proximity charges throughout the ship for anyone who responded to the distress call. Couldn't someone else have taken the tactic? Could this be another trap?

Jack begins to sweat inside his suit.

"I read you, Doc. Stay put and we'll bring any survivors to you. Cole, back away from the door. I ain't a fan of this set up. Lei, hold tight 'til Tap's had a look around. Pretty sure she'll hold under pressure, but I'm not in a gambling mood,"

Lentrax
2012-10-26, 10:39 PM
Sia
Medbay

The ritual is familiar. Calming. Wash, wash wash. Apron on and tied. Mask in place. Gloves come on with a snap. Her bag lays on the counter, opened for access to the drugs and medicines inside. Her implements are on a tray, ready to roll over to the bed. Everything was ready.

All she needs now is a patient.

Creed
2012-10-27, 09:35 AM
Morgan
Airlocks

Morgan raises an eyebrow to Tap as if to say 'Do you expect me to say something?'. The soldier shrugs and steps into the airlock, removing his pistol from his belt.

Narmoth
2012-10-27, 01:57 PM
Adrian Starr
the buck

Finally finding the com control, Adrian replies:
"Alpha Panda, this is Adrian Starr. Please respond with information on the following before proceeding:
One, what is the status of the crew of the Buck?
Second, what is the oxygen status of the Buck?
And most important, are you engaging us in warfare, or are you to be considered friendly?"

cgrela
2012-10-27, 02:09 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

你好明星!Lets see, you're the only person we've found, living or dead, so I'd simply say the rest are just gone. Buck is in a bad way. Everything of value's been stripped away. The reserve atmo tanks are gone, so we're trying to repressurize the corridor straight from our ship. As for that last question, I consider myself friendly, so, I'd say we're friendly, but there might be some people that aren't friendly with us, so it all depends on your point of view. Anyways, we don't mean you any harm, so you can look at us as friends.

Translation
你好明星!= Hello star!

Narmoth
2012-10-27, 03:09 PM
Adrian Starr
his compartment on The Buck

"This is grievous." Adrian says to himself before pressing the coms button again so the others can hear him:
"I understand. In that case, what are your future intentions?"

Sunfall
2012-10-27, 07:36 PM
Grace, Bridge of Alpha Panda

"Now ain't he a fussy one", Grace murmurs to herself, slightly smiling, as she scratches the Captain behind the ears, her eyes still glued to her screens.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-27, 08:36 PM
Greg
Bridge
Ain't this fella ever heard not t'look a gift horse in the mouth? S'not like anythin' we could possibly have planned would be worse'n runnin' outta atmo. He gives Lei a sheepish grin. I'm of half a mind t'remind him that if we wanted him dead, we'd just pop open 'is compartment an' let the Black do its work, but I suppose that wouldn't be the politest way a' reassurin' him a' our good intentions...

Erasmas
2012-10-28, 12:23 PM
Cole
Crew Quarters of the Buck

Cole stood just away from the door in question, leaning against the wall and waiting. His shotgun rested against the same wall, just beside him within arm's reach. He listened to the chatter, clenching his jaw with the thought of him not being able to lend a hand. I wish I wasn't such a doh bao knucklehead when it come to machines. I shoulda paid more attention when Daddy was working on that grav tractor, he thought to himself as he stared off into nothingness.

Unkabear
2012-10-29, 12:28 PM
Tap
In Transit

Tap followed Morgan to the other ships engine room to see what he could do to get this bird back up.

cgrela
2012-10-30, 11:22 AM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"Ok, everyone who isn't suited up,please evacuate the the area from Alpha Panda's airlock to the corridor where we located the surivor. I'll be opening the airlock and beginning pressurization in one minute. Please double check that all doors are closed and sealed. After waiting the allotted time and confirming that everyone is in the appropriate spot, Let opens Alpha Panda's airlock, allowing a clear path from the ship to the Starr's cabin. She then routes a reserve atmo tank into the airlock, and begins pressurizing the the corridor. As soon as the pressure reaches a safe level, she opens a comm channel into both the crew's suits and Buck. "Ok, we're good to go. Pressure is safe, and loss rate is within acceptable parameters. You can open the door."

Erasmas
2012-10-30, 02:22 PM
Cole
Crew Quarters Aboard the Buck

Cole grabs his shotgun with one hand and moves to open the door with his other. However, because of the initial depressurization of the corridor causing the door to buckle, the damn thing refuses to budge. Without much of a second thought, the soldier rears back and rams his left shoulder into the metal door... hard.

"Ho mein chi lao minzhao jing whin zho zuoa!"

Cole drops his shotgun and lowers himself to one knee, closing his eyes against the pain while he gripped his left upper arm. Gingerly, he stands himself back up and rotates his arm as much as he can in his vacuum suit.

"The gorram bow to this door is still keepin' her from openin', Cap. I think we're gonna need a cuttin' torch in here."


Translation: Expletive deleted.

Creed
2012-10-30, 03:25 PM
Morgan
Crew Quarters Aboard the Buck

Morgan walks up into the crew quarters, just in time to see Cole crumple against the solid door. The soldier steps between the two foes, and shrugs, giving the door a swift kick to see if Cole loosened it at all.

Aneurin
2012-10-30, 03:25 PM
Jack
Buck's command deck

One of the things about vacuum suits is that they prevent you from beating your head against the pilot's station until the world starts working right.

"Tap, forget the engine for now and head up to the crew quarters with your tool kit. Morgan, track down and shoot the ri shao gou shi bing that built this piece of luh suh.

"Lei, do we have time to cut through the door, or will she break up first?"

Voltaire
2012-10-30, 09:41 PM
Shooter sighed. Then he began whistling 'The Girl From Santam', and felt better immediately. Feeling a bit useless wasn't easy, and the familiar tune took his mind off the surprises the day had sprung on the crew, if only for a moment. While he stood there, in the crew corridor, he absent mindedly began practicing his quick draw.

Snatching his pistol from its holster, then twirling it around his finger, before slotting it back; the ritualistic time wasting could swallow up hours at a time.

Deep down, all Stirling wanted was someone to shoot.

Unkabear
2012-10-30, 11:11 PM
Tap

Tap stopped as he was given new orders. He considered cycling through a few of the tools on his arm, but decided against it. "Aye Jack." he said letting the Captain know that he was on his way.

Though he did access the Alpha Panda's systems & brought up a schematic that Lei had been using of this ship through his cybernetic eye, he minimized the usual scroll of AP's vitals while he adjusted course. He would hate to accidently take a course leading through a hull breach if he could avoid it.

Adlan
2012-11-02, 04:50 PM
Room in the Buck

Adrian is fortunate, in that the Buck has mechanical air sensors, not worth stripping out or requiring a charge, and thoguh the digital display (in 2 and half languages) is not operational, the small gauge can be read, the phosphorescent paint of it's dial illuminating the indicator.

There's now air on the Other side.

A few moments later, he feels the door being tried, then a slam as someone tries to force it.

The problem before was getting the dam thing to lock, so it must be jammed from the damage to the ship.

Aneurin
2012-11-02, 05:45 PM
Jack
Buck's command deck

Behind the visions of exploding spaceships, and drifting bodies, something niggles at Jack.

What was it, what was it...

Oh, yes. That.

He presses the intercom button.

"Our intentions are to rescue you. After that, we'll try and get your ship started up; if we can, we'll take her with us and claim a finder's fee. If we can't start her, we'll report her position when we hit port. Someone ought to know that the crew ain't coming back.

Your rescue will begin when we find a cutting torch; we're having some technical difficulties, I'm afraid. Looks like the door's not stood up to the pressure difference too well, and it's now jammed. We'll get you out soon's we can, though. 'Til then, you want to tell us who you are and what happened to this junker?"

Unkabear
2012-11-02, 09:33 PM
Tap


As Tap approaches the door, he nods to the two men standing there. "Mind if I have a go at it?" he asks as he walks over to the panel and door and starts tinkering.


Int+Mechanical Eng (ME) Repair = 1d10+1d12=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3764297/) Should be an average result.

Erasmas
2012-11-05, 11:21 AM
Cole
Crew Quarters aboard the Buck

"By all means..."

Cole moves out of the way, trying to give Tap room to work. He averted his eyes from the ultra-bright light of the cutting torch's flame, and tried to make sure no sparks hit his suit... just in case. He waited, checking the safety and the chamber on his shotgun to make sure that it was ready, should he have need of it. Being trapped on a ship-turned-coffin set to float until your end of times could do funny things to a man's mind... and Cole wasn't taking any chances with the fella that was on the other side of that door.

cgrela
2012-11-05, 11:32 AM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Lei spins around in her chair. "I hope they don't need us over there." She opens up Buck's comm again. "We're trying to get the door open, but its jammed. You might want to stand back, we're coming through with a cutting torch."

Adlan
2012-11-05, 12:29 PM
Crew Quarters Corridor aboard the Buck
Tap has everything he needs close on his hand, so the Job takes less time than any other skilled cutter could manage. But atmosphere tight doors are atmosphere tight doors, and as this one is cut, the torsion in the metal untwists, fortunately not breaking the precious atmoseal.

Sounds could pass freely between the connected air spaces, and after a few more moments, the door clanged open.

Narmoth
2012-11-05, 12:32 PM
"Thank you. I am relieved to hear the nature of your plans. Now, when it comes to the door, I believe I have an effective way of getting it open, but that will require you to stand back quite far from it, especially from the hinges. I will shoot them asunder with my gauss pistol, and then the door should be possible to push out.
As for the conditions of the ship, I'm afraid I have little knowledge about it, as I have been somewhat indisposed for quite some time." Adrian replies over the com before readying his gauss pistol and looking over the door to see how it will be best to blow it open.
Seeing that it is open before he gets another reply, he lowers his gun and smiles to the one on the other side
"Thank you."

Lentrax
2012-11-05, 12:52 PM
Sia hasn't heard anything for a while, and is getting nervous. Walking over to a companel, she hits the transmitter with her elbow so she is still sterile. Ish. Its hard to keep clean shipboard. Especially when you have to grab hold of anything just to get around.

"Well? How is he?"

Erasmas
2012-11-05, 08:16 PM
Cole peeks in before radioing back to Sia.

"He looks fine, Doc. A few bumps and scratches maybe... but he's as alert as a hummingbird in the mornin'."

Unkabear
2012-11-05, 09:39 PM
Tap

Tap had to put some focus into this. It was an easy job, just touchy, and for a moment he thought that he would lose it and have to start cutting the door from its servo's. But in the end it came out all right.

As the door opened Tap stepped off to the side to allow the others to take position, in case it came down to a fight.

Erasmas
2012-11-06, 10:58 AM
Cole
Crew Quarters aboard the Buck

Cole called out as he half-heartedly waved his shotgun in the vague direction of the man; he didn't want to be threatening, just wanted to come across as being serious about the situation.

"If you have a piece... toss it on the floor over here by the door and put your hands up as you come out. Slow and easy like. Ain't no reason why this can't stay civil."

Adlan
2012-11-07, 11:48 AM
Fade to almost but not quite Black as...
Credits begin to Roll

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/EndCreditsAlphapanda1.png

over scenes of Adrian being retrieved, and Buck left abandoned as the stripped wreck she now is.

Sunfall
2012-11-07, 12:17 PM
Grace

As soon as Grace could see that everything was under control up here, she excused herself to the pantry. "Gotta see ter the feast. I reckon there's one in order tonight", she smiles as she takes her leave.

Soon, enticing smells and vapors begin wafting out that corner of Alpha Panda, once more accompanied by that old war-time lullaby that Grace seems to be quite fond of, because she always hums or sings it in her low, raspy voice.


Earth between my toes and a flower in my hair
That's what I was wearing when we lay among the ferns.
Earth between my toes and a flower I will wear when he returns.

Today, it seems oddly fitting.

Listen to it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2pfSelIKo), but take care - the video's a tad loud.

Adlan
2012-11-09, 05:30 PM
Episode 2: Haulin' Ice

Scene 1:
Flashback 10 years ago 2508

The Valley Below is a Network of Craters, the Skeletal remains of trees and burned out tanks. Trenches creep across the landscape, and gun fire blazes constantly.

High above, the Alliance ASREV is silent apart from the subdued sounds and sensor read outs. Packed in the Troop Racks, silent and not all by choice Alliance Special Forces, hand picked for this deployment,
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/MorganBlake.jpg
One removing his helmet as his eyes kept working on his head up display, did not see the assignment as special, every assignment was a hand picked need to know mission. The hologram is feeding tactical display for the New Kashmir Campaign.

For the Co-Pilot, Léi Tiě Yì, the mission was a first, yanked out of the communal pilot pool for this assignment. She was one of the top ranked fliers, but the Alliance Brass were well aware that conscripts weren't always suitable for missions requiring dedication.

She wasn't quite sure what the Joo Fuen Chse was going on. They had scrambled into the air half an hour ago and Major Heaton at the helm was the only one who knew what was going on. And he hadn't even told his plan to his 'Aide' a young Alliance officer who hardly had a clue what his superior was doing.

From his bars a young Lt, from the way this war, already two years long was shaping up, Starr was not an inexperienced Rupert*. He was in fact ear marked for success, hence is attachment to this mission. Head office hadn't provided any details though, Major Heaton had a fanatical devotion to the mission, but was hazy on the details. With his cryptic smile he would only issue platitudes like a political commissar. Just once his facade seemed to fade.

"The war's ending, soldier!' You know what ir's like when something somes to a sudden end? it all falls apart. That's what's happening out there right now - it's all falling apart! And when that happen, fortune can fall with it - right into our pockets. And those who know who to hang onto fortune are the ones who come out ahead."

Suddenly there is a flash from the ground, a stream of tracer shells heads snakelike towards you, A hole in the front view port lets in the undeadened sound of battle above the roar of the wind, more fire smashes again, lancing Major Heaton at the Controls. The ASREV lurches suddenly....

*Londinium Slang, meaning young officer.



Scene 2

Flashback: 8 years ago, 2510 Athens


Your Orbital lander is down. A sturdy shuttle, converted to military use like much of the independent fleet, but flak fire brough you to ground, only luck and skilled piloting has meant you arrive at the LZ.
Ahead of you the transport ship flashes sporadically into view between the smoking wrecks, explosions and burning remains of the battle. You can just make out the name on the side of the ship the Lucius Newberry.

You struggle up the ramp, and are quickly helping with, or overseeing the loading of the freighter with long heavy crates. The crates eventually empty a small stash, and fill the hold to the ceiling. They are secured by a tall and broad shouldered Lt. Kombe, with an impassive black face and dark cold eyes and Sgt. Hawkes, looking like many a grizzled rim world independent NCO, who supervises the securing over every crate.

You have no transport with the lander down, but the battle is seemingly over for now, and a baby faced Colonel, Bufford Maddoc, appears, pulling rank and insisting you remain on the dirt.

Scene 3

Flashback:2512 Higgins Moon
Main Street
The Stranger to town was an off worlder, that was obvious by the quality of the gear she was wearing down to main street. Her boots alone would feed a family for a week. In her bag was her profession, a Dr and once the town's residents knew it, they would welcome her.

But for now, she was just a stranger, and as she turned onto the main strip, she saw two men facing each other. The sun shines down hot on the dusty street. One of the men is a tall broad shouldered man with black skin glistening in the sun, his hair close cropped and greying. His clothes are threadbare, and hang off his frame. His dark cold eyes seem to have trouble focusing due to a prolonged association with Mudders Milk. There's no mistaking his past, as he still wears a ragged old brown coat. He staggers as he stands there. Drunk Vets are Common now the war is over. His hands are shaking.

At the other end of the street stand a rail thin young man, with a far steadier hand and a smirk on his face. The mudders hang back, watching the fight for lack of anything better to do. The Alliance has preserved indentured servitude, and slaves can't afford cortex entertainment.

The Tall Black man slowly raises his shaking hands, but the young man slips his gun from it's holster with lightening speed. It's hammer cocking with the electronic charge of capacitors and releasing the moment the barrel comes level.

The Black man staggers back, then falls heavily to the street. Mortally wounded, he see's the younger doctor standing nearby and starts pulling himself towards her, trailing a dark stain in the dirt beneath him.

"Please" he calls out to her. "Please don't let me die with this curse on me!"

Scene 4

Flash Back: 2014 Kung Pow Bar & Grill

There are so many bars that look so alike, Each is the same, as though they had been mass produced in the core and dumped on the rim worlds like so many settlers. This one is pretty standard, one regulation bar (Beer on Rusty Tap), one regulation set of tables and chairs. One regulation bar tender and two regulation waitresses, with regulation leering customers and regulation bleary eyed drunks. It might be an idea to join them, that's what this place is for, a spacers bar for spacers to get drunk in.

That is, if you're contact doesn't arrive soon with details of your next, semi-respectable job. Suddenly, things start to get interestin'. One of the drunks climbs up on a table, interupting the blue sun commercial playing on the regulation cortex screens. The drunk starts babbling, "I don't wanna remember, I don't wanna wake up! Give me a drink, I need a drink now"

Everyone stares at the man, who weaves unsteadily on the table.

I'm cursed, Gotta get rid of the curse!" he bellows, and he turns his unfocused eyes towards your table.

"You, were you there!? You know about the urse and the treasure!"

He scrambles down off the table and weaves towards you, he pulls a deringer out of his dishevelled waistcoat... and point it at his own throat.

Tears are streaming down his face.
"Please, I've tried to drink the curse away... and it don't work. Maybe this is the only way, to blow it clean out of my head." His hand is shaking. "You gotta help me. I don't want no treasure, I just want to be free."

Scene 5
2014 Higgins Moon
Mayors House

The Mayor was most pleased at his sons 21st birthday party. His guests were some of the most exclusive people on the moon, but as that moon was owned by him, he had included his new specialist gardner, a Distingushed core lady who went by Grace, and was responsible for the wonderful hydroponic flowers and produce on offer.

In conversation with her, and tangentially some off world buyer who's platinum the mayor was eager to show to his safe an old lady somehow linked to the mayor was holding court while the music of fiddle plays to a dancing crowd.

The Chandeliers illuminate the elegantly dressed dancers as they flow, but suddenly the crowd falls silent, as a striking older woman wearing an Alliance uniform stalks into the room. She is slender, graceful. Her face might once have been lovely, but is already set in hard lines. People turn their backs on her rigid gaze. They begin to whisper as she glares around, daring anyone to challenge her right to be her.

'I don't know what she's doing here" the woman whispers to both her companions, in the tone of one imparting the obvious with relish. "She was a gun runner during the war, who flew a cursed ship. They say her crew mutinied on her and set her adrift in the black... "

She continues after a breath.


"...That's why no one would give her command of a ship again and that's why she joined up with the Alliance. But I think she knows where her ship dissappeared too. She's just waiting for the right moment to claim a hold full of platinum!"

"All I know is that no civillised person will speak with her... let alone dance with her! Cursed treasure ship or no!"

Adlan
2012-11-09, 05:33 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/Fireflyopeninglogo.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Ue23ItiR0)

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-09, 06:29 PM
Elric Arnesson, Off-World Buyer
Flashback 5; Ballroom
At the mention of the supposed platinum fortune, the fifty-something businessman raises his eyebrows. A curse, you say? What manner of curse? he asks the gossiping old aristocrat curiously, though loud enough for their other companion, the gardener, to hear him.

Lentrax
2012-11-10, 04:11 AM
Sia
Higgins Moon

Sia walks down the street. Her last ship left days ago, leaving her here until she could get passage on another. It really didn't matter to her, she would wander until her boots fell apart, and the skies fell down on her.

She didn't even realize she was walking into the middle of a duel until the shot rang out, and the man crawled over to her.

Her weariness fled at the sound of the shot, and she rushed to the mans side, opening her bag as she went. She pressed a bandage to his wound, and knew he was not long for this world. He begged her about a curse.

Sia reached into her bag and began pulling out tools, preparing to try and save him right there on the street.

Sia is going to try and save him. I am not sure what the penalty is for improvisation, since I do not have my book with me atm, so please just subtract whatever is proper.
And I screwed up the roll. Sorry for the double post.

Lentrax
2012-11-10, 04:13 AM
Rolling: Surgery+Intelligence[roll0]+[roll1]=14. And like I said, not sure what the penalty would be.

Sunfall
2012-11-10, 05:14 AM
Grace
Scene 5, Ballroom, Higgins' Moon (2014)

She would just as well have gone in her work duds, but the Mayor had procured a dress for her and insisted she wear it. At least he had taste, whatever other faults there may have been to his personality. Her corkscrew curls pinned up to a bun that fashionably was disintegrating slowly, she almost felt like she was on the core again. She'd been away from all this for so long…. Still, being once more part of civilization (well, some part at least) felt strangely good.

She wondered where Fess was. She didn't approve of how the Mayor treated his son, feeling a connection to the lonely boy. Despite this ostentatiously being his birthday party, he was probably doing what she herself would have liked to do right now: Hiding from his father. Alas, she worked for him, and as long as he wanted to parade her creations around she would have to stay. She should have known he'd make her part of his business. That man made money from mud. She wouldn't have minded, too, but this was all drawing some really unwanted attention.

As the Alliance officer walks into the room and the conversation comes to a screeching halt only through her presence, a little crack can be heard from the flower display. A small earthenware pot has slipped from Grace's fingers, and shattered on the scrupulously clean tile floor. An orchid, one of a kind, slowly beds its vibrant blossoms on the flagstones. Grace makes no move to pick up the precious plant, just staring at the woman in uniform as the old lady and the trader babble on about the curse. There's nowhere to hide.

Adlan
2012-11-10, 05:28 AM
Scene 3
It's hard to focus on the words of dying old drunk as you begin emergency first aid to try and stabilise him. It's not enough to save him from the blood loss, and you can see him slipping away as he convoluses in agony.

With dying strength he grabs you and pulls you closer.

'They took it from us.' he whispers.
'A treasure worth in worlds! They took it and all they left was a curse! There's only Sam Hawkes left now - You gotta warn him! Warn Him about the curse!"

...Sia looks down into the cold impassive empty eyes of a dead man staring back at her. His Hands feels as cold as ice to her touch.

Scene 5
The silence ends with the broken pot, like a starting shot beginning a race, the moment of silence passes back into conversation. The rising babble includes the haughty voice of your companion.

"Oh, some say she flew a cursed ship during the war. But they say a lot about the war don't they...

The Dancing resumes, and the Alliance officer is entirely consumed with watching the swirling couples motion, not even glancing at the other guests, who pointedly ignore her.

Aneurin
2012-11-10, 08:28 AM
Jack
Athens, 8 years ago
Scene 2

The landing was touch and go, to say the least. Especially after the fuel lines to the thrusters took a piece of shrapnel. But at least no-one can say that dodging anti-aircraft fire with faulty thrusters isn't exciting. It's only on the final approach that they fail altogether, and the ship drops from the sky; fortunately low enough that the landing is merely bumpy, rather than explodey.

One the ground, Jack doesn't hesitate to kill the engines. Burst fuel lines are bad. Although not as bad as making an emergency landing in no-man's land during an artillery barrage, which is why he hadn't landed sooner.

"Alright boys and girls, welcome to scenic Athens. The tourist center will happily direct you to the nearest tourist locations, such as the sites of historic battles - many of which are being fought as we speak.

We'd like to thank you for flying with Browncoat Airlines, and hope to see you all again real soon. Please pick up all your luggage on the way out, as unattended bags will probably be stolen by the next set of passengers through,"

Replacing the ship board intercom handset, Jack leans back for a moment and lets out a long sigh before turning and grinning at his co-pilot.

"Looks like we did it, Cap'n - though I don't want to do it again any time soon," he says, scratcing her ears.

Cap'n Rogue errupts into a deep and insistent purring at the attention, so Jack scoops her up and strolls down to the cargo bay to help with the unloading, with Rogue draped over one shoulder.

A short time later...

"What do you mean we can't leave on your ship?" Jack stares aghast at the colonel blocking the cargo bay of Lucius Newberry. "We're stranded, and all these folk have got other places to be. The lander needs a proper mechanic at her to get her flying again, and we're in the middle of a war zone if you haven't noticed. We can't even call for evac, as our long-range radio took a hit. We just gave most of our supplies to you, so we can't hold out here forever. What the rutting hell is it you're expecting us to do now?"

After a moment, he adds a judicious and long-delayed "...Sir,"

Sunfall
2012-11-10, 09:06 AM
Grace
Scene 5, Ballroom, Higgins' Moon (2014)

Idiot, she's probably not even here because of you! Doesn't look like she'd have the security clearance, anyway… Grace awakens from her rigor and starts picking up the broken pot and the expensive orchid, turning away from the entrance. She murmurs a quiet excuse to the rotund merchant and gives him a forlorn smile.

"Yes", she loudly says in her habitual clipped Core accent, answering the old lady's comment. "They do indeed." What an insufferable tattletale!

Lentrax
2012-11-10, 11:32 AM
Sia
Higgin's Moon

Treasure? Curse? He must have been addled from drink.

With a sigh, Sia closes the man eyes, and with a flourish draped her Browncoat over him until the wagon came to collect him.

I should at least find this Sam Hawke fellow. He must be a friend, to have been who the poor man asked for with his last.

God, I need a drink.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-10, 01:18 PM
Elric Arnesson
Scene 5, Higgins Moon
When the pot shatters, the man does the eyebrow raising thing again, but offers no other reaction. At Grace's apology, the shakes his head and raises his hands. No, madam, it's no trouble at all. I would offer to help... but I see your nimble hands are making swift work of it, and I think the mayor is expecting me.... Excuse me, says the businessman, with a quiet nod to the gossipy woman. He departs in search of the Mayor.

Narmoth
2012-11-10, 03:01 PM
Adrian Starr
Scene 1: Alliance ASREV
As the tracer shells start coming, Adrian Starr grins:
"Here it comes falling, so hold your pockets wide, soldiers!"
But then, as the major falls, and the vessel takes a dive he shouts:
"Stabilize the vessel to original course!" not because that was a command that needed to be given. It was quite obvious what needed to be done, but he had not been flying before with Léi Tiě Yì, and some people froze up in sudden danger. That was what officers war for: point out the obvious when people were unable to go on on their own
"Who possesses medical training?" he asks next "Whoever of you is closest to the Major Heaton will initiate first aid as soon as the vessel is back in horizontal position!"

cgrela
2012-11-10, 03:07 PM
Lei
Alliance ASREV, New Kashmir

Lei grabs for the controls, and opens her comm, boradcasting into the the rest of the ship. 该死的!我们已经被打!准备冲击! She shakes Major Heaton, and there is no response Medic to the bridge! With a few commands entered into the systems, full control of the ship switches to her station. She tries to regain a stable flight, or at least keep the ship from plowing into the ground. I'm not dying like a wet-behind-the-ears landlubber. Don't stick me in the ground, all buried and crushed.

Rolls
1d10+1d6
Translation
该死的!我们已经被打!准备冲击! = [expletive]! We've been hit! Prepare for impact!

Adlan
2012-11-10, 04:49 PM
Scene 1

The ASREV screams as it plummets towards the grounds, Lei's efforts failing to halt their descent. Major Heaton Yells cut through the roar of wind and gun fire, maybe his Com is Broadcasting... 'Elizabeth, I'm still going to try and make it -'

The Impact is soft, then the ASREV impacts a concrete bunker and breast works. Amid the Smoke, the Collisions and the Jolts, there is the Sudden Crump of an Explosion.

And Blackness.


Most of the Crew and SF complement are thrown clear, but Major Heaton hasn't made it out of the wreck, and a carbonised something in his seat can be seen now the fire is down. The Battle Field here is otherwise empty, you are well behind your own lines as the conflict shifts.

Creed
2012-11-10, 06:14 PM
Scene 1

Morgan struggles to his feet, and picks his helmet up off the ground, slapping it over his head before reaching for the rifle slung over his shoulder, scanning the area surrounding the crash. He hits a command on his wrist communicator, and a metallic voice lets out from the Spec Ops soldier's suit.
SITREP.

Voltaire
2012-11-11, 04:08 AM
'Shooter' Young
Flash Back: Kung Pow Bar & Grill

Stirling takes his hand away from the handle of his holstered pistol, slowly. He had nearly shot this poor, dumb bastard when the deringer came out. It wouldn't be the first time a man had come at him with a gun.

'You'll be wanting to slow down there, boy. You're liable to shoot yourself, or something equally unwise. I've gots some time to kill, why don't you go ahead and sit on down, now, and tell me about this cursed treasure up in your head?'

Shooter motions to the barkeep for another glass of whiskey, on the double. Then he turns to fully face the deranged, deringer-ed kook. He extends his hand and motions to the chair next to him.

'Come on, now, son, I ain't got all day... Sit your posterior over here. Tell me something good.'

It wasn't that the man holding the gun to his own throat didn't perturb him, like it did the rest of the seedy bar's clientele; he just didn't really care whether this idiot blew himself away. So he was calm. Cool as a cucumber, as some would say. Still, he made sure his hand was near enough his pistol to make the draw, if the situation suddenly escalated.

Adlan
2012-11-12, 06:42 AM
Okay, I'm gonna call act one closed with this response
Scene 4
2014 Kung Pow Bar & Grill

The sight of a double of whiskey, And not the cheap rotgut, but at least brand level Blue Sun Rotgut that shooter was drinking, was enough for the drunk, who dropped the deringer and staggered into the proffered seat. He Sniffed the Whiskey, Savouring it.

"It's hard for me to... He downed the whiskey, and his haggered face seemed to go out of focus and lose a lot of it's fear and tension. You could see he wasn't as old as the drinking made him look.
"You don't get it mate... Me and the Captain and three others were cast adrift in a lifepod. The rest just vanished into the black and were near heard from again." He started to hiccup, till another man gave a nod to the bartender, who filled his shot glass again. As the stranger picked up the man's deringer, the drunk pulled himself together and continued, his eyes focused on a different time and space.

"There we was... Captain Joseph's, Two Browncoats, One Woman and myself. The passengers had brought along a treasure that I heard was worth worlds... He sipped at the whiskey this time, making it last like only a poor drunk can.

"The Ships cook turned out to be a Tong Da Gher Da*... it was that Lurn Shwen Jab Jwohm* who set the crew again us. They asked me, but Zebidiah Marx wouldn't have no part!" He slapped his fist on the bar, and grabbed at his whiskey when it jumped, nearly spilling it every which way before he got it under control and finished the glass.

"It was mutiny, you see..." Zeb starts to mumble, the whiskey having an effect on him.

Zeb's eyes open up and suddenly focus. "I thought we were humped in that lifepod; the Sergeant was a fellow named Hawkes, the LT was named Kombe, Both of 'em came aboard with the Treasure. That young skirt ws with 'em too... Ooooh! Miss Elizabeth was might shiny to look at, but cold to the core that one."

Zeb's eyes water up again as he starts to sway back and forth.
"The Lucius Newberry was a cursed ship!" He exclaims, before passing out headfirst on the bar, and commencing to snore like a bandsaw.


ACT II
Snowball Flight

http://evolvingmind.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/halley_comet_iceburg.jpg
Angel Hair Comet

The Bright nimbus of it's tail splashes across the path of your ship, a glorious swath gleaming across the Black. The comet reminds you in some ways of a woman's hair, at least, some women's hair, beautiful, shiny, inviting and coloured with chemicals of various origin.

Still, some of the discolourants were from the miners on the icy rock, making good money off the water. Some of which you should be able to make in turn, while of course, a certain 'Respectable Busisnessman' makes his cut just sitting on his pi goo in Persephone. Meet and Greet the Locals, and then a quick run three day run from here to Regina, your cut should come to a Thousand square easily.

His wave is what the crew are discussing as we enter, Badger's face visible on the screens in the Bridge as it cuts away from what was now clearly only a cortex image.

"Now... if you get this wave in time, and you get their first, I'll cut you some slack for missing that payment. It's the Lullabelle Mine, Claim Registration 1277640"

Badgers Voice finishes with a cheery.
"TahTah for now"

Your current position is about 5 minutes on pulse and another 5 on reaction, and you should be at the comet. That is, if you decide to take the job. On the other hand, you did miss that payment, and Badger does set up some good jobs.

Lentrax
2012-11-12, 09:09 AM
Sia
Alpha Panda's bridge

Sia snorts before replying to the now blank screen, "and by lenient, he means cuttin' off part of the ruttin' late fee. Part mind, not the whole damn thing."

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-12, 10:44 AM
Greg
Bridge
The ex-Browncoat raises an eyebrow. I'm not sure I understand. What's Badger want with a comet? Ain't it just a hunk a rock an' ice? I s'pose there might be worthwhile rocks on it, t'some extent, but s'that worth building a mine on it? It ain't even got atmo!

cgrela
2012-11-12, 11:08 AM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

If Lei was given to thinking about such things, the idea of hitting a frozen ball of rock and ice in the dead of space square on with a multi-thousand ton lump of metal driven along by the manipulation of gravity and nuclear fusion, and not turning the whole thing into a gorram catastrophe, should have given her pause. Of course, Lei did not think about such things, and had the skills to make it happen anyway. She turns to Greg. You weren't born in space, you wouldn't understand. That chunk of ice is the only water for a few million kilometers. Its an oasis. All it takes is a microfracture in the hull, and all your water is shooting out into space. You can't go get it either, because the momentum it took on while exiting is shooting it away from you. Water is more precious than platinum when you're out here.

Erasmas
2012-11-12, 11:30 AM
Cole
Bridge of the Alpha Panda

"I ruttin' hate having to deal with that foo yen skunk, Jack."

Cole leaned against the door frame leading into the bridge, with his arms folded tightly against his chest. He wore a furrowed brow and was chewing his lower lip. Owing money was bad enough, but having to be bent over the barrel like this for it... jing wung shwee. Not that gathering a shipment of water from the mine should be all that difficult, it was just that with Badger... there was always more to it than what should be.

"He ain't a straight shooter...", he looks at Sterling, "... no offense meant by comparison... but he taint never dealt fair with us in the past. His pleasantries aren't about doin' us no favors... he's comin' at us sideways like. I mean... you know I'll do the job at hand, Cap... I just ain't none too happy about it bein' fer him, s'all I'm sayin'."

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-12, 11:57 AM
Greg
Bridge
So it's water they're minin'? Curious thing, that, but makes sense the way y'all explain it. He turns to the Captain. I don't suppose haulin' ice counts as a milk run, Cap'n? Lemme git a stretch a' tha legs on this'un, if ya don't mind.

Lentrax
2012-11-12, 03:10 PM
Sia stood, close enough to Cole to be together, but not close enough to touch. Her arms were folded beneath her bresats, and she was slouched over in thought. Suddenly, she straightened."Wait, Claim? I thought we were picking up some 該死的冷* ice for transport. We getting something else too? Jack... You know I don't like surprises."

* Damn cold

Aneurin
2012-11-12, 03:52 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

Jack is inclined to agree with Cole - up to the point of having already punched the console.

"Sometimes, I really wish I'd just shot that bei bi shiou ren and stolen the money I needed," he scowls. Then he sighs, and looks around at the crew.

"Alright. So, we got a situation; we do something for him, or he makes a whole lot of something happen to us. And he will make something unpleasant happen to us; unless someone has some brilliant money-making scheme that will enable us to pay what we owe, plus the not-having-our-legs-broken fee," Jack pauses for a moment, then adds in a tone of great hope; "I don't suppose anyone happens have a plan like that?"

Getting involved with Badger's way too complicated to be safe, as far as Jack's concerned. But, at the same time, he does enjoy going through life with all his limbs still attatched.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-12, 04:15 PM
Greg
Bridge
It don't sound too complicated, Cap'n. Granted, I haven't been aboard long an' I've only seen Badger once're twice by Wave, but this job seems easier'n most we've done. Plus, if he gets us mixed up'n somethin' what kills us, he ain't gettin' paid what we owe, so it ain't in 'is economic interests t'be sendin' us anywhere dangerous unaware-like. An near as I can tell, Badger ain't got many interest what aren't economical in nature.

Erasmas
2012-11-12, 05:02 PM
Cole
Athens, 8 years ago
Scene 2

Cole shot a look to Jack, who gave him a discreet shake of his head, and the big man fought his urge to reach for his gun. He had only met the other man less than an hour ago, but he already found himself trusting in him. War was a strange thing... it made things that happened normally in life happen much, much quicker. Friendships and loyalties were forged much faster; likely because folk felt like there was simply less time left in the 'Verse for them. But along with the good things moving faster, so did the bad things - betrayal and hatred came much, much easier too. Especially in a time like this, when that rock-dropping-into-the-bottom-of-your-gut feeling crops up right around the time when you get screwed over in a bad way.

"Sir, you are at least going to cart out the wounded... right, Colonel Maddoc, sir?"

Sometimes, appealing to their better nature is the only choice you might have.

1

Cole
Bridge of the Alpha Panda

"You mean shootin' 'im ain't still an option? You can't tell me it wouldn't make a lotta folk happy."

Cole joked as he let out a small laugh. His eyes drifted over to Sia, and he found himself (and his thoughts) lingering a little too long in order to be comfortable in a room full of others. He cleared his throat, seemingly out of nowhere, and changed his position... particularly to avoid anything from giving away where his thoughts had drifted to.

Creed
2012-11-12, 05:46 PM
Morgan
Bridge

Morgan nods at Cole's statement, then mimes shooting a pistol at the screen that, moments ago, displayed Badger's face. Unlike Cole, however, Morgan wasn't in the least bit joking.

Badger reminded him of a man he use to know. A scumbag crime-lord without morals or boundaries. It hadn't worked for the man Morgan once knew, Icarus, and it wouldn't end well for Badger. The soldier could feel it in his gut.

cgrela
2012-11-12, 06:18 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

So Captain, are we listening to the āng zāng de fànzuì húndàn, or hoping to make it a go of it on our own? These miners can get a bit cranky living out here, but the job shouldn't be too bad, whatever it turns out to be exactly. Are we just supposed to get them to hand over the claim to the mine, or what?


Switching to pinyin to make it easier to read.
āng zāng de fànzuì húndàn = dirty criminal bastard

Aneurin
2012-11-13, 04:59 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

After glancing around the crew in the hopes one of them could provide a solution to the current financial crisis, Jack turns to face Lei's question.

"It's a pick up, so it should be simple enough. I just don't like the sound of it; Badger makes it sound like someone else is after the package, which isn't exactly good news for us if they're not the law abiding types.

"But... I say we go in and see what's going on. If we don't like it when we get there, then we pull out and the hell with Badger. Greg, you're in charge to the landing party if we touch down. Any objections?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-13, 06:08 PM
Greg
Bridge
The tactician's eyes light up, and a grin graces his lips. If the others're all shiny with it, sounds mighty fine t'me, Cap'n. It'll be nice t'git off a this flyin' home a steel fer a mo', even if it's just to walk on a froze-ass asteroid.

Creed
2012-11-13, 07:09 PM
Morgan
Bridge

At the mention of Greg's new appointment on the away team, Morgan raises an eyebrow. He glances over at the man and gives a slow, purposeful nod.
He then makes a mental note.
No matter how safe a situation seemed, he would need to wear body armor from now on.

Voltaire
2012-11-14, 12:14 PM
Flashback - Scene 4
Kung Pow Bar & Grill

Shooter hooted, laughed and slapped the prematurely old Zeb on the back as he knocked back the whiskey and fell asleep at the bar.

'Y'all tell a good story, son! Treasure, huh? Men is always killin' men for 'treasure'. I don't see no point, If I'm level with you. I'd rather, you know, shoot a man over a woman or somethin'. All you need is enough to retire fat and happy on a world of whores. But men is always gettin' greedy. Ain't I been sayin' it, Jed?'

Shooter turns slightly to a man sitting some ways away, nursing his own drink. Without waiting for a response, Stirling turns back to the sleeping Zeb - a fact that seems to completely escape him.

'I been sayin' it. Tell you what, boy, here's a little shrapnel. Have yourself another whiskey. Every coin I ever earned I spent on booze and good times with fast girls. The rest I just squandered. Or was that 'fast times with good girls'? Whatever, son. My point, such as it was, unoriginal as all hell, is simple; in this here 'verse, a man has to find his dream. And then he's gotta stop dreamin'. Don't dream no mo'. Slow down with the dreamin'. Don't overdream. You see what I'm sayin' to you, Zeb? Pick a point of reference. Stick to it. Yeah. That's it. That's what I'm sayin'.'

Shooter unholsters his weapon.

'And if any dirty sumbitch tries to rattle your course, you give 'im the business end, you know?'

He then slowly places the weapon back.

''The Lucius Newberry, eh? Well, alright then.'

Shooter takes a moment, squints, then pats the snoring Zeb on the back.

'You know, Zeb, you're alright, son. You're alright.'

***

Present Day - Bridge

Shooter was taking a moment to squint.

Badger's a funny old name, he thought.

'Hey, Cap'n. You know when you was asking for ideas, and the like? Well, here's what I was thinkin'...' Stirling starts gesticulating awkwardly with his hands, explaining the plan.

'First, we do whatever this fool Badger wants us to, right? Then, when we have to, like, meet him or whatever, I shoot him in the head for you. Debt re-solved. Seriously, Cap'n, it just... it just doesn't get no easier than that. Had the same issue back home. Just shot the damn fool in the guts. Worked a treat, y'all. I recommend this highly.'

He pauses for a moment.

'Also, y'all isn't expectin' me to go out there anywhere near that rock, is you? Because, like, no. Jus' sayin'.'

Lentrax
2012-11-14, 01:25 PM
"What's the matter, Shooter? 'Fraid of a little water? I don't know about you, but seeing that meteor there, makes me want a drink. One of those pretty little pink ones with a frilly umbrella."

Aneurin
2012-11-14, 02:06 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

There's a certain merit to Shooter's plan that makes Jack grin.

"Tell you what, we'll keep that as a reserve plan for if he gets too pushy. A man like Badger won't go down easy, he'll have all sorts of contingencies in place to prevent someone doing just what you suggest. We don't know what he knows and who else knows it. Could be his death would cause us a lot of bother. I suspect a couple of us have secrets they'd rather not have become public knowledge.

You don't have to go off ship if you don't want, Stirling. Wouldn't say no to a gun hand watching ship with me, just in case the locals get a trifle unfriendly. We'll see what's what before we make any hard decisions on the landing party; may be we don't touch the job,"

Voltaire
2012-11-14, 09:31 PM
Shooter
Alpha Panda's Bridge

'Shoot, Cap'n, it would be mah privilege to send explore-a-tory lead Ol' Badger's way. Jus' give me a signal, when the time comes. Wink or something. Or nod meaningfully. Do what you do, man.'

Turning to Sia, he puts his hands on his hips, 'No, m'am! Water don't bother me none. It's, uhh, the lack of atmo. It's not fear or nothin', I just... respect... the wide black yonder.'

Visibly writhing, Stirling takes yet another moment to squint-think. 'Well, I do suppose if the mine's pressurized we can make an exception, though... It... it is pressurized, right?'

cgrela
2012-11-14, 10:25 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Lei looks at the captain with a mischievous grin.船长, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a step off the ship when we get there. I like the sound of frilly pink umbrella drinks.

Aneurin
2012-11-15, 02:07 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

"Sure thing, mei-mei. Remember to bring back enough for everyone," Jack says with a grin and a wink, before gesturing to the pilot's seat with a sweep of his arm.

Adlan
2012-11-15, 02:56 PM
Alpha Panda's Bridge
Coming out of pulse drive was nowhere near as dramatic as entering, no grav spin up distorting space-time and generating an oilstain among the stars. Instead, a ship coming out of pulse drive cuts out, mass is restored and the ship loses the speed it had.

A good pilot, like Lei, will bring the ship out to within a light minute or two of their destination when it's a big planet, or heavily patrolled core space. Some pilots, or some conditions, can result in pulse drive getting you much closer, but get it wrong and you are just a smear on the dirtside.

There's a good reason Lei being a good pilot would still come out about 10 minutes of reaction drive from the comet, even though it's gravity well was small enough to allow the ships in closer, the debris field that surrounded it was much thinner where Lei arrived.

Thinner than say, the icy debris hitting the other ship that was nearby, also approaching the Comet. It's apparent why Badger said "If you get there first". Someone else is trying to sneak the job out from under you!

With careful piloting, and Alpha Panda being... well THE Alpha,you should be able to get there first. Assuming you manage the debris field better than your competitor did.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-15, 03:54 PM
Greg
Bridge
Greg grins mischievously. Looks like we've got a race on our hands! Alrighty then; anyone the Cap'n's approved fer the away team, suit up. Cortex is sayin' the facility's pressurized, so no suits needed. We should be ready t'hop off soon's we land.

Actions: Equip Tempest Gloves, crossbow, bolt packs.
Organize away team, relay any orders from Jack and Lei.

Erasmas
2012-11-15, 04:05 PM
Cole
Sia & Cole's Quarters

Hearing that they had left pulse drive, Cole begin to get dressed into his usual array of armor. At first, he was just going to take his knife and his pistol... but upon the announcement of there being competition, he grabbed his shotgun and his sword as well. Almost out the door, he returned and snagged two of his flashbangs.

The big man then seeks out Sia, heading to the med bay first.

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 04:19 PM
Sia
Alpha Panda, Medbay.

Antiseptics, bandages, Sedatives... Do I have everything I need?

Almost, she realizes, and grabs some adrenaline from a drawer and places it in her bag. She starts zipping up the pink bag, her hand running over the worn side, up poast a poorly stitched bullet hole the bag suffered from back in the War. She smiles sadly as she thinks back on all those lives she touched. All the lives she saved. All the boys she sent back out to die.

A tear started rolling down her cheek as a shadow darkens the door.

Erasmas
2012-11-15, 05:03 PM
Cole
Alpha Panda: Medbay

Cole found her where he checked first... her home away from home, he thought to himself. He stood there watching her in her element, only for a moment. When she was still for longer than a second, the soldier knew her mind had drifted once more. He allowed her another moment of silence before he gingerly disturbed it.

Cole gently rapped his knuckle on the doorframe as he accompanied the noise with a soft call.

"Sia?"

cgrela
2012-11-15, 06:32 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"Gāisǐ de xuě qiú! Looks like somebody is trying to get there first, chuánzhǎng. I've got them though. Take the controls for a second, until we hit the denser field; I'm going to wreak some havoc with their nav systems.

Intelligence [roll0] + [roll1] + Tech Engineering (Electronic Warfare) [roll2] + [roll3]
Applying the bonuses from Math Whiz (its an engineering action) and Comp Tech (dealing with computers)

Gāisǐ de xuě qiú = damn snowballs
chuánzhǎng = captain

Aneurin
2012-11-15, 08:05 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

He nods once to Lei, and settles in to the Nav station pressing buttons and hitting switches.

"Gotcha," Jack says as he takes full control from Lei. As he weaves through the debris, he keeps half an eye on the other ship. There was no way these fools were going to beat the Panda. Then a thought stikes him;

"I hope to all hell that those guys are the ones trying to steal our job, because if they're legitimate traders we may be in a bit of trouble," he punches the big yellow button that raises the feedback flow. "On the other hand, what's life without a little trouble, eh?"

Jack's hand drifts to the weapons controls. While blowing another ship out of the sky isn't exactly plan A, he's not going to be caught flat footed if they start shooting first.

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 08:48 PM
Sia
Medbay, Alpha Panda

As Sia stands, one hand on her bag, a knock on the door brings her back to the present. Tears still running down her face, Sia looks to see Cole standing in the doorway. She steps to him, pulling him into her arms. Sobbing uncontrollably, Sia cries out, "Why, Cole? Why did I send them back out there? I sent them out to die. Why would I do that?"

Creed
2012-11-15, 09:36 PM
Morgan
Bridge

Morgan looks off towards the other ship as the nav crew hops to work.
Let them come, he thinks to himself, It will be a pleasant break in the routine.
He turns with a quiet and crisp salute to the Captain, sound asleep in an unoccupied chair, and jogs through the Panda's constricted hallways to his quarters, checking behind him to make sure he's alone.
The soldier pulls out his armor, almost with a reverence most people save for religious occasions. Morgan did not taking dawning this gear lightly, but if that other ship had any chance of coming at them when they landed, they better have a gorram artillery piece poking out of their cargo bay if they planned on taking the Panda down.
Morgan snaps on the ceramic and composite plated vest, and attaches all of the limb covers. He straps the padding over vital areas, then exercises his full range of motion to make sure nothing is too tight or too loose. Finding all to his liking, the man kneels before his footlocker of weapons and starts to arm up. The derringer in his boot, a constant precaution among a ship full of people he hasn't known for a long time, stays in place. He straps pistols to his legs, waist, and armpits, all fully loaded. Morgan is of the philosophy that you don't have to reload as long as you have another gun. His assault rifle is slung over one shoulder, also with a full mag.
Morgan flexes his gloved hands, feeling that same rush he had all those years ago. The world had made him feel weak, inferior, insignificant. Everyone had belittled him, the boy without a voice, who was thrown to the streets as soon as Persephone's laws allowed it. In this suit, Morgan had realized that he was not weak. It didn't matter to him that he was working for the Alliance, they gave him the tools that allowed him to see that he wasn't prey for the taunts of society. He was a predator, quieter than a moonless night.
He cracks his neck and pulls on his helmet, completing the suit of body armor, and sticks an extra clip for the assault rifle on his belt. Morgan strides out into the hallway, confident, his armor rattling and weapons clinking against it, the already smallish hallways seeming even more cramped with the addition of the armor.
Morgan took a deep breath. It was time to earn his pay.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-15, 10:57 PM
Greg
Crew Quarters
The ex-Browncoat, whose coat is admittedly still rather brownish, heads towards his own bunk. He gingerly opens a case; inside, a pair of gloves and meticulous rows and channels of wires. Greg removes his shirt, not bothering to stand on ceremony if one of his bunkmates is using the room concurrently, and begins hooking the wires up with practiced finesse. The gloves are on Greg's hands in minutes, the battery pack that charges them concealed at his waist. He then puts his padded shirt and ballistic mesh on, and then puts his shirt and coat back on atop his added layers. He then heads to the armory, where his crossbow and ammunition are stored. He holsters the powered weapon across his back, and takes a tranq bolt and two cases of blunted bolts and loads one case into the crossbow's magazine, putting the back up case and the tranquilizer gingerly in his belt. He grabs a smoke grenade for good measure, putting that in yet another slot on his belt, and then proceeds back to the bridge to see what he can do to help Lei and Jack.

We never established our bunking arrangements. I assumed that Lei and Grace had one room, Cole and Sia another, and Greg, Morgan, Tap and Shooter the third. But since Grace is a recent addition, that would mean that Lei had a 4-bunk room to herself for quite a while, unless bunks were rearranged when Grace got on board. I'm running with that assumption for the time being, but if it would make more sense for one of the men to be bunking with Grace and Lei, to spread them out more, then that's fine too.

Sunfall
2012-11-16, 09:01 AM
Grace,
Alpha Panda, Hallway

A bowl with some soy sprouts in hand, Grace steps from the chaotic container that is once to become a veritable greenhouse. If it's been unusually quiet on board during the last hour, she hasn't noticed. Making her way through the ship, Grace trips up when Morgan in full body armor crosses her way. She takes a frightened step back before recognizing the silent man.

"Whoa, big fella!", she says, a surprised edge in her voice. "Tha's some impressive gear ya got there… Are we 'n trouble... or did we git ar'selves a job?"

On a ship like this, Grace has learned, it's always better to ask before panicking.

Erasmas
2012-11-16, 11:58 AM
Cole
Alpha Panda: Medbay

Cole just held the doctor for a long time, stroking her dark hair with his gloved hand, careful not to tangle his armor and pull any of the strands. He simply made a low, sustained shushing noise to quell her self-abusive rant. The soldier envied her ability to cry - to vent and release the build of emotional tension that came from remembering painful pasts. It wasn't that Cole was without dark memories from the war... no one in the war escaped without them... and there had been nights when the big man had sobbed himself to sleep. But Sia... Sia wore her wounds more visibly and allowed herself to deal with the grief. Cole did what any good soldier was taught to do - bury it with the men you had to put in the ground and move on. The trouble with this tactic, however, was that unlike the bodies of those fallen brothers and sisters... the souls of black memories had a way of pushing themselves back up out of the ground you put them under.

Giving her time without saying anything, just being there with her, just holding her, Cole finally spoke - again in a low and even tone. As he did so, he placed his hands on either side of her face and gently tilted it up to look into his own. He wiped her tears away with a sweep of his gloved thumbs.

"Mei mei... my beautiful Sia. You didn't send them boys to no fate they didn't know was comin'. You gave them the hun jeng chance to fight back. And if they didn't make it...", he chased her eyes with his own as she faltered at this, "... if they didn't make it, then they's luckier than a lotta folk that did."

Cole hugged her tightly again, putting her head against his chest to hide the tear that now ran down his own cheek, only to disappear into her brown hair.

"Docs can't heal all wounds, Sia... specially not on their own."

Lentrax
2012-11-16, 01:46 PM
Sia sobs against Cole's chest. She clings desperately to him as she cries.

"I could have done something else. Sent them home, told them they couldn't fight."

She cries again, as Cole goes on.
"Docs can't heal all wounds, Sia... specially not on their own."

"I can't Cole. I can't let anyone in. Not anymore. I lost her, and I don't want to go through that again. I can't."

Erasmas
2012-11-16, 03:09 PM
Cole
Alpha Panda: Medbay

There it was... that small twinge of pain that jealousy manifested in Cole's gut when Sia talked like this... of her. He had no qualms with whoever this woman from the doctor's past was; none, except that her death had hardened a part of Sia's heart and prevented her from giving it over fully to him. He hadn't intended on falling in love with Sia... but he found himself unable to help it - he found a vulnerability in her that mirrored his own. He found himself wanting to protect her; to heal her in the way he felt when he was with her. Cole had known a lot of women, and some of them were doctors (though most were nurses), but Sia was different... she wasn't just a doctor, she was a healer.

"One of these days, the choice might not be yours, Sia... I just hope I'm there to see it."

Cole moved to leave the Medical Bay. He paused just outside of the door and turned, unable to completely hide some of the defeat he felt being laid open like this at the mercy of the doctor's walls. He hesitated, and then added, "We all lost people. But something that my Mama told me always stuck in my head through that time - 'Mourn the dead. But not at the neglect of the living'."

With that, the soldier looked as though there was more that he wanted to say. But instead, he absentmindedly bumped his fist against the top of the door twice and then turned and made his way towards the air locks.

Lentrax
2012-11-16, 03:46 PM
The door closes behind Cole, and Sia falls to her knees.

"Cole... Don't go." she sobs.

i want to let you in, but what will I do when you are the one on my table?

Sia finally calms down, and makes her way back to her room, making herself presentable, though she can't disguise she has been crying. She finally makes her way to the airlock when she hears Panda dock.

Creed
2012-11-16, 09:35 PM
Morgan
Hallway

Morgan stops in front of the older woman, any expression hidden behind his helmet. He shrugs and tilts his head side to side slightly, then mimes weighing things in each hand. He seems to be implying that there is some of each in the current situation.
Not sure if he got the message across, Morgan points down the hall towards the control room.

Sunfall
2012-11-17, 03:24 AM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Hallway

Grace nods and an impish smile spreads across her worn features. "Some o' both, eh?", she asks and steps aside, letting the big soldier pass. "Guess I'll make mahself scarce then. Good luck, lad!"

She claps him on the back, not being able to reach his shoulder, sending him on his way. That he probably can't feel it underneath his armor never crosses her mind.

Creed
2012-11-18, 02:01 AM
Morgan
Hallway

Morgan fires a crisp salute to the elderly woman before he goes. But this salute meant more to the soldier than 'Yessir'. His salute was a sign of respect, of acknowledgment. Morgan was fairly sure that many occupants of the ship felt no animosity or good will towards him on a good day, while on a bad day he feared some might curse his presence. Some, he was certain, would shoot him in the back for another member of the crew.
Strangely, Morgan didn't resent that fact. He didn't work hard to build up emotional bonds to people. It was usually too painful if that bond broke. But Morgan felt that, deep down, the one member of the crew that wouldn't swat a fly out of the air if it bit her was Grace. In addition, Morgan had been in Alliance military since his late teens, and Grace's grub made the Panda look like a pleasure cruise compared to an Alliance battlecruiser.
Morgan stepped back into the control room, rapping on the doorframe to announce his presence to the pilots.

cgrela
2012-11-18, 02:29 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

Having finished treating the opposing vessel's navigational systems as her personal playground of destruction, Lei brings Alpha Panda's own navigational system up. Lets see... average density for this area... factor in speed and heading versus our own... timing differential of starboard retro thrusters... and here we go. Lei expands a window on her screen. It looks like a squiggly line drawn through a field of various oblong shapes. She rotates it, and it becomes essentially the same thing, only in 3-D. Here's our best course, chuánzhǎng. A tap on her keyboard brings it up on Jack's screen.

This is Action 1 of the two actions to help the ship along. I haven't thought of the other one yet.
Rolling, applying Math Whiz
Intelligence [roll0]+[roll1]+Pilot (Astrogation) [roll2]

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-19, 06:53 PM
Greg
Bridge
The now-suited-up tactician returns to the bridge as the race continues. He takes his position at the comms station and keeps his eyes on The Black, seeming pensive. As the worst of the flying is finished and Lei can handle flying on her own, he turns his seat to face the Captain.

Cap'n, I been thinkin' on this job. Our destination, Regina... I seemed t'remember somethin' 'bout a blockade, an' a quick Cortex search confirms it. Whatever Badger's wantin' from this space rock, someone on Regina's wantin' it bad, t'risk payin' t'have us run the blockade. Which, a course, is why Badger needs us t'do the runnin', on account a the Alliance blockade. The miners on Regina're hurtin' bad from isolation, Cap'n. I'm sure Badger's seein' nothin' but credits an' plat, but there might be some folks really needin' whatever it is we'll be haulin'.

Narmoth
2012-11-20, 05:09 AM
Adrian Starr
Alpha Panda, Hallway

As Grace is moving to "make herself scarce", Adrian turns up and smiles to her:
"Excuse me, mam. You are the one in control of the kitchen here, I believe?"

Voltaire
2012-11-20, 08:50 AM
Stirling wakes with a start. Immediately, he canvasses his surroundings, feeling the way with his hands. They slide over his prone body, the bunk, the little stand to his right. Ahh, there you are.

His fingers take hold of his lucky coin. At times like this, he liked to think about stuff. Pretty much anything, except for the fact that this tiny bucket of metal and earnest hope was about to enter a dense cloud of rocks and debris at thousands of kilometers an hour. His stomach was a little queasy.

It wasn't Stirling's first go around, to be sure, but he couldn't help but regret leaving solid earth for the wide black yonder, sometimes. Very deeply regret it, indeed. More's the pity, there was a time when he had a choice in the matter. Not so much, today.

He yawns, still a little weary, and lifts himself from the bunk, taking his pistol out from beneath the sagging pillow.

Shooter kind of hoped things would go awry, on this asteroid. It was always livelier when things went awry.

Aneurin
2012-11-20, 10:49 AM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

The projected course is occupying Jack's full attention when Morgan taps at the door, eliciting little more than a wave of acknowledgement from Jack. He doesn't even notice Greg until he raises his voice.

Hearing him speak, Jack swivels in his chair and raises an eyebrow at Greg.

"Blockade, huh? Well, can't say that bothers me much. I've run enough in my life," he shrugs and turns back to the co-pilot console.

"...we'll go in and see what's what. I've no desire to take what someone needs, but if we don't take it, they will," he gestures vaguely at the other ship. "So we're going to get it first, and then decide what to do about it,"

Adlan
2012-11-21, 01:14 PM
ACT II Resolution
The Ship Lei was messing up is the Mary Celestia, a Griffen Class ex blockade runner and from the way she was pushing hard burn, desperate to get to the mine before Alpha Panda. But you can't go that fast without AI assistance, and they have wisely cut all power rather than ram into something as every read out and sensor other than the Mk1 eyeball are drowned by highly sophisticated juvenile pranks.

Alpha Panda sweeps gracefully between boulders, her rockets hardly sputtering on the contaminated space dust around them. Heading for the mine, the landing process is all automated, very simple and gives you the option of Docking Coupler One or Two.

Lullabell Mine
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/LullabelleMine.jpg
Beneath you glittering on the ice is the Lullabell Mine, a converted BumbleBee Transport, like many comet mines in the rim. This one is protected by a magnificent glittering Dome.

cgrela
2012-11-21, 02:00 PM
Lei
Bridge of Alpha Panda

"Its so...pretty. Like the miners have their own little ice palace, floating all alone out here. Where do you want me set her down, chuánzhǎng?

Sunfall
2012-11-21, 04:31 PM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Hallway

Smiling, the older woman turns around, her little vat of sprouts still in hand. "Well, look who's up an' about!"

She waves her hand at being addressed as 'Ma'am', making a tutting noise. "Jes' plain Grace it is, lad. And yes, the pantry's mah little d'main. In fact, I'm bound there right now. Ya need somethin'?"

She turns into the direction where she was originally heading, looking back invitingly at the new arrival. "Dinna catch yer name there...", she adds conversationally.

Aneurin
2012-11-21, 04:47 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

As the Panda coasts in, Jack listens to the thrusters with an air of concern.

"Hmm?" he spares a glance at the approaching dome, and looks over the layout of the mining station for a few moments. "Right. Put her down at docking couplet 1, the second couplet's too close to the claws for my taste,"

Jack's attention flicks back to the thrusters again, though, and he punches up some of the atmospheric data on the station.

"Hey, Lei, how're the thrusters sounding to you? Seems like they're chewing a bit hard for the amount of debris we're hitting," he frowns, and goes on without waiting for an answer. "We'll check them out when we hit Regina, and do a full systems diagnostic while we're at it. We pushed hard to get here first, and I don't want my baby breaking over some trinket for Badger,"

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-21, 04:50 PM
Greg
Bridge
Greg hits a button on the comm system to access the PA. Away team, rendezvous at the airlock. We're dockin' soon. The tactician stands up from his post at the station. With any luck, Cap'n, this ought to be a milk run and we'll be back inside an hour.

Adlan
2012-11-21, 05:55 PM
Fade to black.

Ad Break.
http://www.nerdsraging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Fruity-Oaty.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7idn3PcKBM)
Fade back in from black

ACT III The Lullabelle Mine
Docking Coupler #1 Airlock
The english voice sounds like a bad impression of a Londinium street merchant, and the Mandarin is so badly slurred that you can't understand half of it, but the Automatic Airlock approves your entry, and the away team step out under a vast blue sky. It's apparent the clandestine ice mining business pays well. Bright sun shines down on a desert landscape that extends to a hazy and distant horizon. Wisps of clouds drift high overhead. The air is hot, but not unpleasant, with a slight desert breeze blowing past you. Several piles of crates stand around a small hill crested by a modest two-story building. Near the base of the hill is a real live garden with honest-to-god vegetables nearly ready for picking. And not the hydroponics grace uses on board ship, real dirt side dirt. At the corner of the house is a small stand of trees and a shrubbery.

But this idyll is disturbed all too quickly, as a shot rings out, the bullet spanging into the ground off an airlock bulkhead. A voice rings out.

“Who the ai yah tien ah are you?”


I guess you'll have to do your best to convince them you are friendly. Roll in the OC thread, including whatever traits and bonus you think are appropriate, and post it up IC.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-21, 07:34 PM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine Entrance
The man puts his hands up non-threateningly. No need t'be gettin' shooty on us, podnah. Claim Registration 1277640. We're just here t'pick up what we're gettin' paid t'pick up. So kindly put the firearms away, so's we can discuss things gentlemanly-like?

Adlan
2012-11-21, 07:56 PM
Lullabelle Mine Entrance
"Where is Captain Griffiths?" A voice called out. We were expecting Royale, 300 ton freighter, not two Ruttin' Ships.'

From his tone, clearly at least he was willing to ask questions first, resume shooting later.

Erasmas
2012-11-21, 10:38 PM
Cole
Lullabelle Mine Entrance

Instinctually, the soldier had gone for his gun; but all it took was for Sia to rake cover behind him and Cole retracted his hand. Although he did not want to draw fire with her so close, he intended to fire while she went for better cover if the situation got any hairier than it already was. Seeing as how words always seemed to fail Cole in times like these, however, he thought it best to keep a tight lid on his trap for the time being.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-22, 12:48 AM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine Entrance
We ain't got no Cap'n name a Griffiths. All we know is that we're shippin' somethin' fer an employer, an' he gave us the claim ID. Payment's on arrival, so he thought he'd speed up delivery by introducin' competition. We won the little race, an' now we're here. Is there gunna be an issue, podnah? Because I'd very much like fer this t'go shiny-like.

Creed
2012-11-22, 12:54 AM
Morgan
Lullabelle Mine Entrance

When the shot is fired, Morgan's guns jump to his hands, a pistol in each at the ready. Even though talks seemed to make the situation more hospitable, the soldier didn't make any moves to lower them from their ready position. But better to let Greg handle this one. Morgan wasn't much one for talking.

Adlan
2012-11-22, 03:54 AM
Lullabelle Mine

"You both working together you said?" The speaker pokes out from cover, aware he's out manned and out gunned. Shortly after, another miner comes out too. The speaker is An older male, recognisable as Sam Hawkes.

"You've got the Claim ID I gave Badger, but two ships? How do I know you ain't claim jumpers?"

Aneurin
2012-11-22, 08:03 AM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

Jack's settled in one of the chairs on the bridge, a mug of coffee in one hand and feet on the dash, running a few basic systems checks when the shot, and whine of the ricochet, rings out through the ship.

He drops the the mug as he swings upright - there's a crash as the mug shatters - and grabs for the comms speaker.

"Hey, did someone just shoot my ship? Tell them if they shoot my ship again, then I'll shoot theirs - and I have a bigger gun than they do,"

Temper appeased - and fairly confident that the ground team would successfully handle any problems - Jack runs a hand over the captain's console, before walking off to find a rag to clean up the spilt coffee.

Lentrax
2012-11-22, 08:38 AM
Sia
Lullabelle Mine Entrance.

When the shot rings out, Sia instinctively ducks behind Cole. She isn't a soldier. Not by trade anyway. She isn't even sure what they are talking about.

Two ships? Did Badger sell us out? Or is he just playing us for being late?

cgrela
2012-11-22, 09:15 AM
Lei
Cabin in Alpha Panda

As soon as docking procedures were completed, Lei had to her room. The captain can handle the systems checks. She rummaged around in the space, looking for her list of items she wanted for the ship. If they had anything at this out-of-the-way mine, maybe the crew could barter for something good. The walls of the room were filled with pictures, most prominently a photo of her entire extended family posed in front of the ancestral ship, 星飞龟. It was a massive, ugly ship, bulbous and ponderous, leading to the name, but it had been her home until the Alliance had barged on-board and begun "recruitment" procedures. They had ended up taking Lei and 4 cousins, sending them to training in matter of days. Lei had never figured whether they had conscripted young people like herself more to bolster their own forces or to deprive the Independents of that ready-made source of forces. Luckily, Lei had a talent they needed, and was smart on top of it. Three of her cousins hadn't been so lucky. They had worked down in the hold, and when the recruitment officer saw the three muscle-bound young men, he had assigned them to infantry without a second thought. All three had died in the ground battles for planets they had never seen before and had never cared about. The last cousin had simply disappeared. Any inquiries into his status were met with red tape and outright denials of information.


"Hey, did someone just shoot my ship? Tell them if they shoot my ship again, then I'll shoot theirs - and I have a bigger gun than they do,"

Lei quickly finishes dressing, grabs her pistol and the list, and runs out to the airlock. She yells out 什么婊子的儿子拍摄我的宝宝吗?

星飞龟 = Star flying turtle.
什么婊子的儿子拍摄我的宝宝吗? = What son of a whore shot at my baby?

Voltaire
2012-11-22, 11:49 AM
OOC:

Doubt post. Apologies.

Voltaire
2012-11-22, 11:52 AM
Stirling 'Shooter' Young
Lullabelle Mine Entrance

Shooter had his back to a barrel that he supposed stood uneasily between him and whoever this potshot-ty idiot was. His right hand was wrapped tightly around his pistol, the index finger fully extended so as to not squeeze the trigger by accident.

He listened to the tense exchange between his crewmates and the local. And he tried to restrain himself - he really did - but to no avail.

'Hey, mister! I don't particularly care what you have to say, and I don't particularly care how the Cap'n wants to answer you! What I do know is this: if you take one more shot in mah general direction, be it in warning or anger, I will kill you. Stone dead. So one ship, two ships or ten ruttin' ships, you better situate yourself with the Good Lord, if you let your peashooter make noise again.'

Shooter's breathing was rapid but steady. It was good to feel a little danger, every now and then. Good for the soul.

Aneurin
2012-11-22, 02:36 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

Jack's just walking back on to the bridge, cloth in hand, when he notices one of the sensors beeping. A quick check at the station has him cursing under his breath. He picks up the communicator again;

"Well, boys and girls, looks like we have some company heading our way. Our friendly rivals are working through docking procedures; though if their coupling's like the piece of luh suh we docked with, we've got a few minutes to wrap things up," with the other hand, Jack opens up cortex access and pulls up the specifications for the ship, occasionally glancing at the image on the screen.

"...she's a Griffen class. Looks like an ex-blockie to me, though most Griffens are. Usual crew complement is between two and six, though they could be packing more in the hold and passenger bunks. Either way, I want us gone before they touch down, dohn ma?"

Adlan
2012-11-22, 02:46 PM
Lullabelle Mine Entrance Docking Couple #1
As Lei made her way down, pistol outstretched, and Jack's Com message went out, another figure made his way out from the house, running towards the other.

'Sam, Sam!' A short, stubby, balding man in a pair of dirty overalls ran out to join the other, a pistol held loosely at his side.

'The other Ship is Commin' into dock too!'

"Iff'n you are peaceable types, tell your other ship not to dock, makes a man mighty nervous, Makes Ryan here think you're claim jumpers. " Sam says, looking at Shooter, but his eyes betray his fear.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-22, 03:33 PM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine Entrance
No one is shootin' anyone. We just need t'pick up our package an' leave. We work for Badger. The ship what's dockin' now? They're our competition. They ALSO work for Badger. To make sure his goods arrived in a timely-like fashion, he's havin' us compete t'get the goods delivered. Only the ship with the goods gets paid, un'nerstand? We'd show y'all the Wave he sent us a few hours ago, 'cept that'd take too long an' the other ship will be docked by then. He strides forward from the rest of the group, holding his right hand behind him in a staying motion. We can't call off the other ship. That'd be like two folks bein' in a horse race, and the winner tells the loser t'stop racin'. Either y'all give us the goods now, an' we're on our way peaceably. Or y'all stall fer a few more minutes, an' our crew an' theirs might have a disagreement of an unpleasant nature in your fine settlement. S'up t'you.

Adlan
2012-11-22, 03:52 PM
Lullabelle Mine
Ryan's eyes widen with fear at Greg's approach, but Sam's eyes narrow, immediate action to ensure his survival means cowardice just heightens his senses.

"Now... Tarnation!"

"Package?!"

Sam Hawkes took in a deep breath.

"How by Buddah's Ass am I supposed to give you 150 Ton's of Ice in a few minutes?"

His gaze was steady.

"As for Badger sending two ships... why the 熊貓尿* should he? How do I know you haven't bushwacked Cap'n Griffith's and tortured the ID# out of him?"


*Panda Piss (Shiong mao niao)

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-22, 04:38 PM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine Entrance
Greg takes out his comm. Cap'n? Must as y'all'd like, this ain't gunna be a matter o' minutes on our end. We're haulin' 150 tons a maudit ice. So, s'lookin' like we're gunna have ta show these folks Badger's original Wave so's we can ascertain that we're in the right here.

Erasmas
2012-11-22, 05:30 PM
Cole
Lullabelle Mine Entrance

Cole activated his community and radioed for the captain. "Jack... why don't me and Morgan and Shooter head on over to the t'other dock and ask them boys n's girls to leave. We'll be real nice and polite... that is, if these pi shung mao bunwah ninnies will finally let us into their pretty little ice house, that is."

The soldier eyed Sia's face, to gauge her opinion on the matter without having to ask.

Aneurin
2012-11-22, 06:10 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

"Well, this is turning out to be a fun milk run. Hold tight for a few, I'll see what I can do about stalling the others. If this goes south, I don't want you scattered across their igloo.

"I'll feed the sound track down to the airlock - those two aren't setting one foot on my ship for the vid, though, so they'll have to settle for that,"

Jack stretches and walks across to the comm's station - then he pauses. An old blockade runner... could be worth a try. A few moments groping in the dusty recesses of the underside of the captain's terminal, and he locates the switch. To anyone outfitted with an U-war scanning system, the Panda will now flag up with a - very outdated - Independent IFF code.

Feeling unaccountably cheerful, Jack hails the incoming ship.

"Howdy, this is Captain Jack Oregon of the Mantis-class Evac and Supply ship Alpha-Panda. Been more than a few years since I saw a Griffin flying, thought most of them bought it back during the War. Though by the looks of things, yours might just've," Jack grins. "Mind me asking you your business here? We have a few trigger happy yokels down here who get all intimidated by spaceships, and sure would like to know what you're up to. Don't want either of us being shot at 'cause a few hicks are going brown-pants down there,"

Lentrax
2012-11-22, 06:39 PM
Sia
Lullabelle Mine Entrance

Sia looked up at Cole as the big man turned to look at her. Her eyes are still puffy from crying before. She shakes her head, unwilling to trust her voice. But with a smooth motion, she sweeps back the hem of her brown coat to reveal her pistol holstered at her hip.

She bites her lower lip, as though unsure of what she would say if she were to speak.

cgrela
2012-11-22, 07:39 PM
Lei
Alpha Panda's Airlock

"As for Badger sending two ships... why the 熊貓尿* should he? How do I know you haven't bushwacked Cap'n Griffith's and tortured the ID# out of him?"

Lei's eyes go wide at the simple suggestion of that sort of act.

Because we're not terrible people, that's how you know! Really, would we have tried walking of peaceful like if we some bloodthirsty lunatics? All we wanted was to come here, drink frilly pink umbrella drinks, and finish the job!

Adlan
2012-11-22, 08:30 PM
Alpha Panda's Bridge

The Sensor Read out shows the other ship closing steadily, engaging with the auto coupler. No response on the com from them.

Lullabelle Mine
The tense atmosphere is cut as the #2 docking coupler activates automatically. With an artificial chime and glowing lights. Soon, atmospheres will equalise and there will be a third party to this situation.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-22, 08:50 PM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine Entrance
Morgan, Shooter, Cole, y'all heard the Cap'n. Head on over t'the other airlock, since it seems our attempts t'otherwise convince the competition to give up have been... inadequate. Not too close, though, case they feel like comin' in guns blazin' an' askin' questions later. As the Captain feeds the original track of Badger's Wave into the airlock, he turns to face the locals. Happy? We work fer Badger. Who they work fer, we can't say fer sure.

Creed
2012-11-23, 12:20 AM
Morgan
Lullabelle Mine Entrance

Morgan nods and breaks into a jog, headed for the dock for the other ship, keeping his pistols drawn. He's a mite slower in all the armor he's wearing, but should be able to make it on time.

Adlan
2012-11-23, 10:37 AM
Docking Couple #2
Fulton “Fox” Daley turned to his posse, consisting of Evan, Jack, and Mordecai Steadman.

"You heard the Com Message they sent, Evac and Supply, probably a bunch of do-gooders picking up water for a rescue project."

He turned and looked at each of the Steadman Brothers. Each had their pistol drawn and ready for violence. The last member of his crew was Ernest Ludlow, a hired gun who's own weapon was handled with far more experience than most.

"They ain't expecting us, and the plan's still solid. They'll be the distraction."

The lights changed as the airlock finally finished it's cycle, and the five members of the Maria Celeste's crew could see out into the interior of the Mines Dom.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-23, 10:48 AM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine
The tactician doesn't pull out his crossbow just yet. Instead, he approaches the airlock bold as brass, knowing he has the Panda's best shots backing him up. He gives his counterpart a friendly smile. Hello gentlemen! Greg Reaufort of the Alpha Panda, he says, extending his hand to shake with their leader.

Adlan
2012-11-23, 11:11 AM
Lullabelle Mine

As the two residents peeped out from cover in their central home, the forces from Alpha Panda reacted to the Activity at Docking Coupler #2.

Unfortunately too slow, as the five men acts with speed and agression.

"I prefer Quieter Hostages" Their Leader, a thin, red haired man, said, all five of them had their pistols drawn, and two of the Steadman brothers had Greg, the closest target, covered near instantly. They were pasty faced and shaven headed, 3 of them, classic thugs, obviously related. The last member of the crew was different, harder, rougher, and looking all around for targets.

"Hands up, and you'll walk out of here alive"

cgrela
2012-11-23, 11:47 AM
Lei
Alpha Panda's Airlock

Lei yells out to the yokels, "See! We're the good guys here! We don't know who this Captain Griffiths is, we certainly didn't do anything to him, and now we're having guns drawn on us just for trying to talk! Now, would you please help us?

Adlan
2012-11-23, 12:00 PM
Lullabelle Mine
The short tubby one of the pair turns, and dashes from cover to back inside the house. "Jio Weh Sung Chiuh*,"

The other, Sam, lowers his gun and cautiously, staying as low as only a former soldier or solid coward can. "They's after our Claim!" He calls out as he trys to get eyes on the events at Docking Coupler #1.



*36 Stratagems... in other words, Run.

Aneurin
2012-11-23, 02:41 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

"Incoming ship, please respond. Dammit!" Jack slams down the comm set in frustration; with the other ship not responding, all he can do is watch the feed as the other ship docks.

Don't be a fight, don't be a fight, don't be a-

The grainy vid feed shows the men coming from the other ship as pointing something at Greg.

Ah, hell.

cgrela
2012-11-23, 03:34 PM
Lei
Lullabelle Mine

Lei enters the main area, sidling along the side away from the other airlock. She calls out to the men in the building I'm coming over; I just want to talk. She makes no effort to hide the pistol in her hand, but she doesn't announce it either.

Narmoth
2012-11-23, 04:58 PM
Adrian Starr
Alpha Panda bridge
A knock is heard on the doorframe of the bridge and Adrian enters asking:
"Excuse me, but I have to inquire what is going on?"

Erasmas
2012-11-23, 05:33 PM
Cole
Lullabelle Mine - Exterior

Moving to some sort of cover, whether it be rock or crate or otherwise, Cole motions for Sia to stay behind him. The soldier gets himself into what he feels is a defendable position and chambers his shotgun.

"Why don't you lower your pieces from my man, Greg, there and step back onto your hun shing hunk o' junk. And if you decide that my threatening demeanor and this here scattergun ain't enough to convince you...well then, me and mine just might have to change your minds for you."

Adlan
2012-11-23, 05:46 PM
Lullabelle Mine
"Get Down!"
Sam looked up at Lei, fear whitening his face. "You work for Badger?" Hope was in his question. "Y'all gotta help protect us, we been tradin' through Persephone since Corone involved the Purple Bellies."

His grip tightened and relaxed on the grip of his handgun.

"Y'all will help me and Ryan Won't ya?"

Docking Couple #2 Entrance

Whatever Fox was expecting, it wasn't someone dressed for full combat, backed by what looked like experienced gunmen and lead by some mad gibbering fool who was surrendering.

*Waiting on Greg's post or PM for the Surrendering and the attempted Glove Attack*

Fox lay on the ground, and his two henchmen looked on in stunned surprise. Both Jerked their triggers, two shots flying out with only one destination at this close range.... Greg's fragile body.

As he falls prone, Greg still manages to pull off one subtle trick. White smoke billows out from him like his soul was leaving, until it's apparent it's a smoke grenade. Thick and heavy, it hangs in the Dome. surrounding and shrounding the five attackers.

Sunfall
2012-11-23, 06:08 PM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Bridge

Grace appears behind Adrian, her face laid out in well-worn wrinkles of worry, her now empty hands clasped tightly together. "Say, Jack, did I hear shootin'?"

Aneurin
2012-11-23, 06:52 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

Jack rubs his forehead as he watches the scene unfold, then swivels in his chair to look at Adrian and Grace.

"We've got a little trouble dirt side. I guess you didn't hear, but we have some competition for this job; that ship over there. She's no responding to my hails, and it looks like they're here to cause trouble. The locals aren't acting very friendly towards us, either. So... yeah. Bit of a situation, and a bit of shooting going on. Give me a moment, will you?" Jack adds, reaching over to flick a switch on his console; and little amber light comes on next to it.

A moment later, orange lights begin flashing all over the ship and a crackling female voice issues from the speakers, repeating; "Amber alert. All crew report to level two battle stations," in English and Mandarin. There's a pneumatic hiss as the airlocks and bulkheads seal themselves across the ship. They'll still open to anyone with a code, however.

"It's overkill, I know," Jack says, with a glance at the others. "But when you've been shot at as often as I have, you learn not to take chances with things like vacuums and projectile weaponry. Grace, can you run the sensors for me? Just in case there's more unfriendliness in the skies. Adrian; see what you can find out about that ship and her crew for me,"

Erasmas
2012-11-23, 07:14 PM
Cole
Lullabelle Mine - Exterior

As the two dun shen ming laos fire at Greg, Cole doesn't hesitate, leveling his shotgun at the nearest to him and squeezing the trigger nice and easy like. Immediately following the volley of lead from the first shot, he cycles the action and moves forward, intent on grabbing Greg and dragging him back to cover.

Creed
2012-11-23, 09:51 PM
Morgan
Lullabelle Mine

Something clicks in Morgan's head when he hears the gunshots ring out. To some, they incite panic and fear, anger, frustration and sorrow. To Morgan Blake, there was no symphony as sweet as gunshots ringing out.
His own instruments were already in his hands as he fired into the enemy, standing straight and tall to attract any attention he could.
It wasn't about getting them to ignore Cole, who was still dragging Greg to cover.
It was about giving these under-armed and outgunned scumbags a chance to actually hit him.

cgrela
2012-11-23, 10:35 PM
Lei
Main Residence of the Lullabelle Mine

Lei smiles. "Of course we'll help you. That's what we're here for. Well, we're here to do a job for Badger, but that job involves helping you, so the end result is the same. Now, if you want me to help, I'm going to need full access to your computer systems. I'm assuming your airlock is hooked to and interfacing with that other ship?

Lentrax
2012-11-24, 03:55 AM
Sia
Eight Years ago.
Battle of Lortha's Reach.

"See 'em run away? Tha's right you Purple-bellied sons of Shānyáng! Run!"

Sia didn't bother listening to the sergeant yelling. She was too busy going through the wounded still alive in the bunker. She left markers on them so other soldiers could transport them back to the hospital. Another blast of gunfire sounded followed by an explosion that caused pieces of concrete and steel to fall on the wounded and herself. When she looked up, she saw the young sargeant on the ground, bleeding from a wound that would kill him if she didn't do anything right now.

Now

Sia didn't even blink as the shots rang out. She watched as Greg fell, and saw Cole rush over to pull him to safety. She ran over to the cover where Greg was getting dragged behind, and readied herself for the worst.

Shānyáng: Goats

Sunfall
2012-11-24, 03:58 AM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Bridge

Grace's eyes widen as she glances at the cockpit windows which from this angle only show the Black through the geometric web of the dome. Her hands are so tightly entwined that her knuckles have turned white, but she just says: "Okay, Jack."

She sits down at the sensor station, running her practical hands over the worn controls, switching up the outer array.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-24, 01:51 PM
Greg
Lullabelle Mine Docking Coupler #2
A Few Moments Ago
Y'all're clearly better armed than us, boys. I'm happy t'surrender, if y'all promise not t'hurt our crew or the locals, says Greg, advancing slowly. When he's within ten feet, his hand outstretched in a surrendering gesture, his gloves emit an electromagnetic pulse at Fox, messing with his neural network. He allows himself a knowing grin before he drops prone and rolls his smoke grenade along the ground, shielding his face from any follow-up gunfire. Not that that stops them from shooting the rest of him.

Narmoth
2012-11-24, 05:00 PM
Adrian Starr
Alpha Panda bridge

Adrian moves to the computer (or so he hopes) and tries to find something out, but turns soon to Jack: "I have to admit, I am in doubt where to initiate. I believe it is on, but that is as far as I know what to do with it."

Adlan
2012-11-25, 10:51 AM
Lullabelle Mine

As smoke billowed and gunfire roared, a cry of anguish could be heard from the short tubby miner, Ryan. The Dome above was reactive, and was producing the appearance of clouds and storms.

Greg took two shots, right to the chest, his dive to go prone almost catching the rights round in the vitals. Mordecai and Evan didn't have a chance to retaliate, as Alpha Panda's crew roared their own response.

Cole's shot fired on the run forced Jack Steadman, the eldest, biggest, most bug eyed brother of the three, to dive for cover. Cole reached Greg's prone form.

No blood was visible.

Morgan's shots were more accurate, catching the other Steadman's with a graze on Mordecai, but Evan went down with a hand pressed to his bleeding belly.

The cloud of smoke obscured the #2 Docking Coupler from view save for Greg and Cole, inside the cloud, who could see nothing but blurred four forms around them. Fox and Jack, two of the half hidden forms, desperately leapt onto Alpha Panda's unfortunate crew members, and began struggling with them in hand to hand, desperate to bring their pistols into play.

Aneurin
2012-11-25, 11:23 AM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

Jack quite deliberately turns away from the monitor as the fight begins, and looks helplessly at the other two.

"Worst part's waiting. Helps not to watch, sometimes. It's not like we can even provide some air support..." he sighs. "Forget it, Adrian. If they want to talk, they'll hail us,"

He almost glances at the vid feed from the couplet's cams, but at the last moment twitches his head away. No point in watching what you can't change.

"Sorry I've not spoken to you two too much, but what with one thing and another - missing a payment on the Panda and all - I've been a touch distracted of late. If there's anything you want to talk about, well, I'm not going anywhere for a few minutes," he gives Adrian and Grace a tired smile.

Sunfall
2012-11-25, 12:59 PM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Bridge

Grace blinks a few times at Jack's question. She gives the silent sensors a nervous glance, then rises with a sigh and takes Jack by the shoulders. Her hands have a surprisingly strong grip to them, and her eyes, old and grey and full of old pain, lock onto his.

"It's a good crew you got out there, Jack", she says. "Boys an' girls will see ter it that this 'ere adventure'll end well. Probably even get her save those miners, too. Imagine what those men outta there would have done with 'em if it weren't fer us. And you'll get ter keep the Panda. Whoever you're owin', ship's gonna make more profit as long as it keeps flyin', ain't it? So that what we'll do. Keep flyin'." The cobweb of wrinkles on her face distorts into her impish smile. "After all, tha's why I'm here. And yer're right, usin' the ship's weaponry close to a structure like this would be a really b..."

She abruptly interrupts herself, straightens up and squints once more through the thick windows, where the curve of the dome obscures most of the view into space. Something that has been nagging at the back of her mind suddenly clicks into place. "Say, where are we exactly? An asteroid? Is that a Geodesic Structure Mark IV"?

Lentrax
2012-11-25, 03:36 PM
"Cole! I can't see anything! Be careful!" Sia yanks her pistol from its holster against her thigh, seeing she won't have a patient until after these people stop shooting.

Sunfall
2012-11-25, 03:44 PM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Bridge

Grace has stepped to the window and lays a hand on it, staring intently outside. Suddenly she starts to speak, first slowly, but then getting faster and faster: "Dome like tha', it's built ter withstand a hostile environment. Might take one direct hit from a one of 'em heavier handguns ter breach, an' maybe two or three fer the systems not vein' able ter keep up in terms of pressure and atmosphere. An' that you don' wanna happen. Not only will all them people inside be killed, but, if enough damage has been done to them Fuller beams, dome might collapse and damage the ships, too." She motions outside to the skeleton of the dome, just visible between the surface and the holographic net.

"So we need 'em huen dahn bushwhackers ter stop shootin' right now. So here's an idea: How 'bout we threaten them? We've got a PA system that can go inside, haven't we?" Looking excited, she turns around to face Jack and Adrian, not having noticed that her back-world accent is starting to slip.

"So this is what we tell them: We could very well use Panda's port cannon to do copious damage to their ship. I don't know about the cannon itself, obviously, but the curvature and the angles work, so the dome would take no damage in this. So if they want to get away, they better stop shooting at our people."

She swallows before continuing somewhat more quietly. "There are also possibilities to… step up that threat. There are all kinds of things our weaponry can do to that dome, but they don't know we never would, do they?" She looks nervously at the two younger men. "What do you think? Worth a shot?"

She abruptly shakes her head, giving a defeated sort of grin. "Ah, no, wait… bad choice a' words." Those last few words sound pure back-world again.

Aneurin
2012-11-25, 06:04 PM
Jack
Alpha Panda's bridge

Jack opens his mouth. Jack closes his mouth. Jack thinks about it for a full thirty seconds. Jack grins like a madman.

"I like the way you think. I also like my crew not dying horribly. Think you can coax the PA into doing that while I fire up our guns? I'll try and pull some manual targetting data too," he adds. "Been a while since we used the weapons systems, and frankly the auto target was never up to much to begin with,"

At that moment, the automated Amber alert degenerates completely into static and random whistles. Jack looks up and swears.

"Even after seven years I haven't found all the bugs," he murmurs, looking mildly put out. "Damn. I really thought that kink in the grav unit was all that was left,"

Shaking his head, he drops in to the pilots chair and starts up the ignition sequence. From somewhere in the depths of the ship comes an ascending whine as the railguns power up.

Sunfall
2012-11-25, 08:09 PM
Grace
Alpha Panda, Bridge

"Been a while since we used the weapons systems, and frankly the auto target was never up to much to begin with", remarks Jack.

"You'd better be aimin' real careful, then", Grace answers with a wry smile and steps to the co-pilot's console, puzzling out the right routine to broadcast their message into the dome for all to hear. "I jes' hope we'll never 'ave ter fire a shot at all", she murmurs, giving the dying amber lights a worried look.

"Are you gonna talk ter them, Jack?", she asks, extending the micro towards the captain, shooting a sidelong glance toward Adrian. "It'd need ter be quite persuasive, I imagine."

cgrela
2012-11-25, 08:39 PM
Lei
Main Residence of the Lullabelle Mine

...Ok, if you're not going to answer, I'll just assume that its a yes, and you want us to save you. She opens up the terminal, and with a few quick keystrokes, is inside Marie Celeste's systems. She identifies the auto-pilot, and gives it a new destination, one that s very, very far away. She then alters the nav system, so that anybody on this ship will find them a few million kilometers from where they thought they should be. Lastly, she takes control of the Marie Celeste's PA system and airlock. The enemy ship's speaker's crackle to life. "Good evening, you jìn jiāo xì dīnéng ér. I have control of your ship, and if you aren't on it in ten seconds, leaving all of our people where they are, I'm sending it into the nearest large solid mass at top speed. If you get on, I'll send you somewhere nice, and even let you slow down when you get there.10, 9, 8...

jìn jiāo xì dīnéng ér = inbred morons