PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Fallen One

Pages : [1] 2

Rizban
2012-10-18, 08:35 PM
This thread is for TheFallenOne and his GM(s) ONLY. Do not read it otherwise.

Moving northeast towards Guildsman, he sees numerous shops, a few fancier houses, and lots of places to spend money. He also spots a couple of inns, taverns, and boarding houses on this road, including The Dancing Wizard (inn), Eystein's Eagles' Landing (boarding house), and Pale Sea, Dark Brew, and a Bard (tavern that might have rooms), all of which are still within Midtown.

The closer to Guildsman that he gets, the less fancy and more utilitarian the buildings become. Further down the road, the buildings appear to become workshops and smithies and the like, and he becomes unsure as to whether or not it will be easy to find adequate lodgings in that part of town or at least along this road.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-18, 08:41 PM
Sedrach takes a walk around all the sites offering lodgings he can find, interested in the surroundings at least as much as the actual building.

I'm looking if the buildings have a decently obscured spot within up to 30, preferably 20 or less feat. I want to be able to Blink Shirt in and out unnoticed. If none of those 3 is suitable, I hope GI 25 is enough to learn where other inns outside Midtown are.

Rizban
2012-10-18, 08:44 PM
Almost every building in Midtown is built extremely close to the surrounding buildings, creating narrow alleys between them. All three places appear to have places that could serve that function.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-18, 08:50 PM
Satisfied with the results, Sedrach decides on Pale Sea, Dark Brew, and a Bard as having a tavern right available is always useful for him, although he has to admit the mental image of the Dancing Wizard was quite appealing.

A good day to you", he says to the proprietor or whoever is currently running things. "Do you perhaps have rooms to rent for weary travelers? It doesn't need to be fancy, but I wouldn't mind a soft bed, a wardrobe and one of your eponymous dark ones while we talk business."

Rizban
2012-10-18, 08:57 PM
Pale Sea, Dark Brew, and a Bard is a rather bawdy tavern with a distinct nautical theme. When you enter, you notice a man dancing on the bar while playing a strange instrument that seems to be an assortment of long pipes attached to a thick bag. There are about 12 people drinking and singing along, despite the time being just before noon.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-18, 09:02 PM
Sedrach spends some time clapping four-handed in rhythm with the dancer; he always liked appearing a bit random and carefree. At the end of the song, he looks for someone of the working staff to inquire about lodging.

Rizban
2012-10-18, 09:07 PM
At the end of the song, the bard hops down from the bar and approaches you, the instrument making a horrendous sound as the bag begins to deflate. The other patrons make loud noises of complaint at the interruption.

"Welcome to my tavern! What's your poison?"

TheFallenOne
2012-10-18, 09:13 PM
"Oh, no poison. That rumor poisonous snakes taste better than other ones? So not true. But, a dark one perhaps? And if you offer it a room for the next week at least. Gotta love a man who hands me a beer with a song."

Rizban
2012-10-18, 09:20 PM
He raises an eyebrow at you, a smirk on his lips.

"Not from around here, eh? Don't just rent out rooms to just anybody. Buy a couple drinks first, tell us some stories, and we'll see if you can earn a room."

Turning to the crowd with a grin.

"That's how it works 'round here, right boys?"

The crowd lifts their tankards and shout agreement. A few slam the tankards back down on the tables in rhythm while calling out to you for a tale.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-18, 09:30 PM
"Oh, stories?" Sedrach again scratches his head with both right hands. "Sure know one or two. That extra arm thing? Was pretty nice to dress up as a Thri-kreen at a game of masks. It was so good this one lady thought me the real deal and wanted to hire me as a tracker. I don't know the first thing about surviving in the wilderness, but she was so cute and pretty, how could I refuse?" He pauses, looking questioningly at their faces. "As you may imagine, things went crazy from there, because I sure as hell didn't understand the trail I was following was of a dire wallabie..."

OK, what exactly is expected? Charisma check? Write out a story? Just hint at it as I did now?

Rizban
2012-10-18, 09:46 PM
It's up to you. Pick a skill you think fits or roll Cha or write a story. Your choice.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-18, 10:00 PM
I'll go with a short story, skirt length

"Truth be told I was impressed with myself I found the track at all, these things are no elephants. But sadly not the prize stallion the lady was missing either.
So, I keep wandering the woods, coming the same place time and again because I lost the trail. It was hot and the costume did the rest. I was sweating and dropped bodypaint from it. She right about noticed when the wallabie jumps at me from a tree and lays into me. Those things are fierce! So there I stand, costume ripped to shreds, and she looks me in the face. For a second I was hoping for some lucky 'ugly beast turned into charming prince' shtick..."
He paused, making a face. "Well, I got the stick. That cute little lady chased me out of the woods, pounding me with a big branch all along the way. So remember the lesson guys: never dress up as a Thri-kreen and pretend to be an expert tracker to make an impression on a pretty girl!" His triumphant smile falters after a moment. "Well, perhaps not that catchy a lesson, huh..."

Rizban
2012-10-18, 11:20 PM
You get a few chuckles from the crowd, and one particularly drunken man in the back laughs loudly and points to his own face every time you say the word "I" as if it is inherently hilarious.

The bard/owner smiles and nods at your story.

"Well, I hate to say, I've heard that one before. Still, it's a good tale, even if you left out the part about the rabid mongoose."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-19, 09:10 AM
"Heard before? Come on, there can't be that many four-armed humans around!" He makes a big shrug with all his shoulders.

just to be clear on my Gather Information checks. Is the DC for learning more about the captured spies over 32, or is the information flat out impossible to obtain with GI? I would have thought people do talk about it and there likely were witnesses.

Rizban
2012-10-19, 12:40 PM
I don't give out metagame information. Your best bet is to roll and see if you come up with anything, keeping in mind that each GI check takes 1d4+1 hours, additional hours if you try to do it inconspicuously.He just shrugs and motions to the bar.

"At least have a drink or two."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-19, 12:46 PM
"Sure will." He takes another dark beer, for a moment indecisive with which hand to pick it up. "So... You're the bard, dark brew is clear enough, but what about pale sea? We'e not pirates or sailors here, are we? I hate seagulls with a passion. They get everywhere, almost as bad as sand."

Rizban
2012-10-19, 01:10 PM
He forces a small smile and ignores the question, opting instead to take a long swig from his own tankard.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-19, 01:12 PM
Raising a curious eyebrow, Sedrach just drinks the two beer her was prompted to and waits what happens next.

Rizban
2012-10-19, 03:24 PM
Seeing that you're just going to drink for now, he picks up his instrument and resumes playing a loud song, the patrons joining in.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-19, 03:30 PM
well, I did try to engage in conversation and he didn't bite, so Sedrach will just sing along and once that is done repeat asking for a room.

Rizban
2012-10-19, 03:49 PM
It's obvious he didn't like the question, and you didn't say anything else that he would have responded to, then drank in silence. So...You ask for a room again after the song ends.

"Yeah, so you said. Room, huh? Well, I do have one that's empty at the moment. It's more of a large closet with a hammock though. It's yours, at a reasonable rate, if you do me a little favor first."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-19, 03:55 PM
"Wow, is the housing situation so bad around here you need to do favors before you're allowed to pay for a closet?" It's somewhat ambiguous whether he's serious or mocking. "Let's hear it, but if you don't mind I'd like to see to room first before agreeing to whatever to propose."

Rizban
2012-10-19, 04:09 PM
"There's no housing problem. These are my rooms. My rooms, my rules. Simple as that. You want to see it, fine."

He shows you through a back door, tosses you a key, and points to a door just on the other side. The door has a hefty lock on it.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-19, 04:13 PM
The four arms silently agree the left, real one should do the catching. He opens the look and looks around the room, checking the window if any to see if a suitable Blink spot is in range. "What's the favor then?"

Rizban
2012-10-20, 04:00 AM
The "room" is a 10 x 5 storage closet with a small chest and a hammock. Two mops, a broom, and a few other cleaning supplies lean against the wall near the doorway.

"I'll get those out of there if you do rent it."

You notice that there are no windows in this room, but you also realize that it is on the outer wall of the building next to the back.

Responding to your question, he says, "It's obvious that you're a real upstanding citizen of fine moral character and a high regard for the rule of law. So, the favor is this. There's an inn down the road called The Dancing Wizard. This evening, the proprietor will be receiving a cask of fine dwarven ale imported from a rather nice brewery."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-20, 10:27 AM
"Ah. So the innocent option is I should make sure it arrives savely and unharmed. And the less innocent option quite the opposite.

I don't know how highly you think of the privilege of renting this room, but if you want me to do anything that can get me on somebody's bad side you have to offer adequate compensation. But hey, at least you didn't ask the foolish new guy to go into the docks at night." He makes an exaggerated wink.

Rizban
2012-10-20, 06:01 PM
"No, see, I want it to get there. I just want you to intercept it temporarily. Just find it, pop it open, piss in it, seal it up, and send it on its way. Quick, easy, effective."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-20, 07:13 PM
Knowledge Local - Dancing Wizard [roll0]
Lore(Bardic Knowledge equivalent) of same [roll1]

"Such a waste of a good drink... Eh, alright. Long as you promise the place doesn't belong to some powerful, vengeful guy I'll do it. Know where the cask is now or when and how it is moved?"

Rizban
2012-10-21, 12:08 AM
He recalls passing The Dancing Wizard about a block back and passing by it to come here. He doesn't know anything more about it.

However, he does recall that The Dancing Wizard is a themed inn much like this seems to be a themed tavern. Other than having a wizard theme, he recalls very little in the ways of tales or stories other than that they have a full time minstrel who doesn't like competition.

"No idea. I just know that there's an import shop somewhere in town that brings in the ale and delivers it to his shop. Once it reaches his door, it'll be too late."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-21, 01:23 AM
"So, I have to do some research, and break in unnoticed... Look, I can handle the peeing part well enough most days, but the rest really isn't my skillset. Sorry man, good luck finding someone else." He departs, going to Eystein's Eagles' Landing instead to inquire about rooms for rent there, excess arms tucked beneath his cloak.

I could actually pull it off quite well with good GI and Blink Shirt, but... There's absolutely no reason to. He offers me a whole lot of nothing in exchange for breaking the law and getting into the middle of whatever spat he has with the Dancing Wizard. I'm not gonna bite into every plot hook I stumble across just because it is a plot hook. That's what got Leaper killed.

Rizban
2012-10-21, 01:22 PM
"Well, good luck to ya then!"

He slaps you heartily on the back on your way out.

"Shame really."

Walking into Eystein's, you find it to be rather luxurious. A well groomed Orc in a business suit is reading a newspaper at the front desk. He quickly puts it down as you enter.

"Welcome! Welcome! May I intuit that you are in need of a place to stay for awhile?

TheFallenOne
2012-10-21, 01:32 PM
"I don't know what arctic people have to do with it, but you are certainly right! I would like a decent room with a comfy bed, good lock and a wardrobe or some other furniture to make me feel at home. I'd like to pay at least a week in advance, I plan on staying a while." He casually takes a look at the newspaper to learn the name and maybe read the current headlines.

Rizban
2012-10-21, 04:17 PM
His smile lowers slightly at your reference to "arctic people."

"Good sir, this is a fine boarding house, not a mere tavern or traveler's rest. We do not rent for so short a time. Rooms are rented to qualified customers at a rate of one hundred gold per month or at a fifteen percent discount should you contract, and pay for, a year in advance."

He, unfortunately, set the newspaper down behind the desk where it cannot be seen. It would be most unprofessional to leave it lying about when a customer has entered.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-21, 05:02 PM
"I'll pay for a month then. Two, if it makes you feel more comfortable. A year is too much of a commitment right now I fear, I first have to get a feel for the city. Would you be so kind to show me one of the rooms?"

Rizban
2012-10-21, 08:20 PM
"One month is our minimum. The rest is up to you."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-21, 08:27 PM
"One then. May I see the room?" He takes 10 platin coins, showing he has the requisite funds.

Rizban
2012-10-22, 12:54 AM
"Of course, of course. I'll need to see your identification or your residency registration documentation before I can show you the room."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-22, 10:07 AM
ah, there are identification papers. I assume the Empire of Seven Dragons had that too? I'd have invested in a fake one if I knew there are such things, I#d rather not identify my heritage given my jailbreak plans

As someone else who's running Sandbox, my experience is that one often forgets to mention things about the setting the PCs are supposed to know. It's a hard to fight trap, getting worse the more complex and nonstandard the setting is. My old group for example had no idea their city has a giant colliseum after half a year of gaming. The current one only knows about 3 or 4 of 36 noble families in any detail, most others didn't even get a namedrop although they are supposed to be a big part of the setting and a frequently talked about topic, but I can't really give all the relevant and known facts without writing 10+ pages.

Rizban
2012-10-22, 11:45 AM
Identification papers don't come up unless you're being questioned by the Watch or looking for a long term place to live or buying land. Many native born citizens don't even have them or know where theirs are. As such, being new to the city, this may very well be the first time you've heard them mentioned in Aldhaven.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-22, 11:53 AM
Alright, good to know. Not trying to tell you how to run things, just sharing my own experiences.

"Huh?" He looks perplexed at the orc. "Do I need something like that? I'm not sure I even have something like that, certainly not on my person. Perhaps that's what my father meant when he went to the city for some 'bothersome paperwork'.
Is that an... insurmountable problem?"

Rizban
2012-10-22, 12:05 PM
Not a problem. I was just explaining why it isn't something I mentioned. I do mention it to players who say the character was born in the city, just not to those who come in from outside and don't specifically ask about them. It's one of those little quirks I enjoy about Aldhaven. :smallbiggrin:"Oh my, yes! They are absolutely mandatory for anyone offering lodging for more than two weeks or for those offering sale of land. I'm sure your father has your paperwork or could tell you which office can provide you with a copy. I'm more than happy to offer you a place once you provide proper documentation."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-22, 04:20 PM
"Err, our little village is a bit removed from here, and I'm not even sure where daddy has been the last few years. I suppose I could ask my mother, but last time I tried she got angry, yelled at me he will be home soon, then started drinking moonshine and crying through the night."

Rizban
2012-10-22, 04:59 PM
"Ah, so you are not a citizen. I see. You'll need to apply for residency at the Aldhaven Registrar near City Hall in Old Town if you plan to stay in the city for longer than fourteen days."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-22, 05:02 PM
"I guess I'll do that then long as daylight remains. Is it complicated or do I need anything for it?"

Rizban
2012-10-23, 01:44 PM
"I don't know. I've never had to do it. I would think it just some simple paperwork."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 02:06 PM
"Thanks then. I plan to come back if all works out." He departed and tried the Dancing Wizard next; doing paperwork for long-term residency did seem a bit premature, not knowing how the planned jailbreak he had in mind would turn out.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:00 PM
The Dancing Wizard is a rather cheery two-story inn. Inside a minstrel is singing a lively tune. Something to do with a dragon and a wizard. It isn't clear if the two are friends quarreling or enemies seeking reconciliation from the initial lines you hear from the middle of the song as you enter.

The place has a moderate volume of patrons, all happily eating away at hearty foods while they talk raucously with their neighbors. There is no bar, but the apparent inkeeper is standing not too far from the stage, and seems to be monitoring the crowd to ensure they stay contented. Serving maids navigate their way through the tables serving customers with a grace that makes it seem as if their chores were dances.

Pointed hats and starry robes are painted on the inside walls in an almost tacky fashion.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 03:03 PM
Sedrach gives the innkeeper a wave before approaching. "Hello there good man! I'm looking for some nice accomodation for the next week or so. I hope I have come to the right place?"

if this is a bust as well... Damn, I keep getting tangled up with the not-so-simple task of finding a place to sleep instead of starting my plot :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:27 PM
Perhaps, but just finding a place to sleep has provided you with several potential plot hooks beyond just that.

"Welcome! Of course you've come to the right place. I've still got rooms available. Had you been but an hour laer, I'd have been booked for the evening. A week you say? Even better! I charge one gold per night, or twenty five for the month, should you decide to stay longer. You have to pay in full up front for your stay though."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 03:37 PM
"A week is enough for now. Would you mind showing me one of the rooms?"

if I come across a tasty hook I'll certainly go for it. After some research whether or not it is suicidal of course :smalltongue:
what time of day is it right now?

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:49 PM
It's around midday.
"Terribly sorry, but you don't get into the room until the gold gets into my purse. Company policy and all that."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 03:52 PM
"Eh, alright then." He gives the man seven gold pieces.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:53 PM
He tosses you a key and points to the stairs.

"Room number three. It'll be on your left."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 03:55 PM
"Thanks." He takes the key and goes to enter room number 3, taking a look around.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 04:05 PM
The room is small but adequate. It's only 10'x10' but has a bed and a chest with a lock. Quick examination reveals that the lock for the chest and the lock for the door are opened with the same key. A small window, too small to even crawl through, looks out over the street.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 04:14 PM
Locking the door behind him, Sedrach unpacks his plethora of clothes from his bag of holding. He dresses up as a slightly older healer, wearing cleric's vestments, a white cloak and hiding his scar with makeup. He then blinks outside after checking whether the street is clear from the window and departs to the Fortress.

[roll0] -2 appearing middle age

Rizban
2012-10-23, 09:34 PM
This is a fairly main street. It is unlikely to be clear until late tonight.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 09:43 PM
A little displeased, Sedrach dons a long coat over his disguise and just walks out the front door. Ducking into a dark alley, he removes the coat and stuffs it into his bag, then continues to the Fortress in the guise of a healer.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 10:09 PM
Fortunately, no one in the tavern pays him any attention as he leaves.

Knowing only that the Fortress is "north", you proceed back south to Mastiff's Road and follow it northwest. Fortunately, this pays off as you reach a large gatehouse in the city's outer wall. It stands open. On the other side, you can see the great river rushing by with a stone causeway built into it just inches above water level, the river flowing through channels under and through the stone. The Fortress is built on a large island in the middle of the causeway.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 10:15 PM
After inspecting some things and looking for the presence of watchmen, Sedrach crosses onto the island provided the causeway isn't restricted. He looks around, checking what else beside the prison the Fortress might be housing.

how thick are the walls of the city and the Fortress respectively? Would a 30 foot blink bring me on the other side?

I'm gonna approach a watchman next, but I may be interrupted before that.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:40 AM
The causeway is the only easy way to cross the river for several miles and is open to the public.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond this gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. A shudder sneaks its way down your back.

The island is located upriver from the causeway, with only the lower tip of it is crossed by this bridge. The only part of the island downriver is too muddy and swampy to be built on. The entire rest of the island is ringed by walls built all the way to the water's edge and as massive as those that surround Aldhaven itself. A few small watch posts are visible atop the Fortress walls. A large gatehouse is situated on the Fortress walls which meet with King's Causeway.

Unfortunately, from where you stand, you are unable to see anything but the walls, watch posts, and the three large towers of the Fortress. Three Watchmen stand at the only entrance to the Fortress that you can see while you spot another two patrolling the walls. Looking up, you spot another two or three Watchmen patrolling the walls of the city above you.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 01:48 PM
Sedrach approaches the entrance to the Fortress and adresses one of the watchmen. "Good day, sir. May I have a moment of your time?" He waits for confirmation before continuing. "I am Marianus Herlock, a healer by trade and just arrived in this city. I have heard of some violence in the docks. Is it a place where my services would be useful or am I better advised avoiding the place entirely?"

so, wall thickness?

Rizban
2012-10-24, 07:24 PM
"Kid, I wouldn't set foot in there with a full squad right now. The place has gone to hell. Needed or not, your best bet is to turn around and not come back this way until things have settled down."

The walls appear to be at least 20 to 30 feet thick, though it's hard to tell exactly from where you are. The gate at the Fortress is closed, with only a small servants' door the size of a normal door being used for the time being.

I really hate to do this to you, but...
I seem to have accidentally deleted my local copy of your character sheet and can't seem to make my new local copy line up with your character sheet. Can you give me a list of what skills you take at each level 1 to 6 to show me how you spent your points? Please PM that to me.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 09:16 PM
"That sounds rough, I will avoid the place then. Thank you, you've been most helpful Mr...?"

I actually had that on my sheet way back but deleted it when I made new stat rolls and changed around the levels a bit. I'll make a new list.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:42 PM
"Sergeant. Sergeant Smithers."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 09:53 PM
"Gods bless you, Sergeant Smithers. Have a good day."
He left, wandering the city and filling the time until the dark of night with collecting various pieces of information.

First, let's see how many checks I get [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Information I am looking for: security measures of the Fortress, where watchmen sleep(barracks, private homes?) and where one Sergeant Smithers specifically can be found when off duty.
Yes, I plan to waylay him, interrogate him about the whereabouts of the captured spies, then kill him and use Disguise to dress up as him.

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
use as many as appropriate

Rizban
2012-10-24, 10:40 PM
Being early afternoon when you talk to the sergeant, night falls around the time your first check is completed. A deep horn sounds twice, pauses a few seconds, then twice more. Ten minutes later, the gates on either side of King's Causeway begin to close accompanied by one long blast on the same horn. The gates come to a close just before the last light of the setting sun fades into twilight.

In the past few hours, you've discovered that the Fortress is primarily built to defend the city against invasion, either from downriver or from the north. The river to the east (upstream) is too rocky and tumultuous for an invasion force to come from that direction, in addition to problems with a beaver infestation in the area.

Heavy bombards are positioned in each of the three towers with smaller ballistae on the walls. Archers man the walls, but you do not learn exact numbers or any kind of shift rotations.

The only known entrance to the Fortress is the main gate, which seals very tightly at night, especially in these troubled times. Murder holes built into the gatehouse are present for use by the guards against anyone trying to breach the gate.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 10:50 PM
Deciding he won't be able to go through with the jailbreak this night, Sedrach spends most of the night looking for further pieces of information in taverns and other places where people gather, inviting people to drink to loosen their tongue. Before first light, he returns to the Dancing Wizard and blinks into his room, resting until late afternoon.

Further checks as appropriate about Smithers. Will have a meal in the process somewhere.

Change of Soulmelds. Bloodtalons instead of Wormtail Belt. Cerulean Sandals instead of Truthseeker Goggles.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 11:06 PM
You have approximately 13 hours until sunrise.

The "taverns" in Old Town, the part of town nearest Rivergate, either close early or require reservations or a certain high reputation to enter. Being unknown, you have difficulty finding any that will let you in. Wandering further through Old Town, you find that the back streets contain mostly the houses and manses of the lesser nobles and wealthier merchants of Aldhaven.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 11:13 PM
Realizing Oldtown is the wrong place for his inquiries, he returns to Midtown, trying The Sad Flint instead.

seems a common gathering place and only tavern without highened risk of getting recognized I know of.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 11:19 PM
The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Unfortunately, it seems as the majority of the Flint goers are from out of town. The few locals refuse to discuss anything about the City Watch, knowing anyone asking about them around here is probably up to no good.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 11:27 PM
Hm...

Slightly different approach then. Urban Tracking. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er) That caps the DC at 27, 22 if no metropolis, if we interpret the reluctance to talk about the watch as 'lying low'. What's the size of the city?

1 check per hour
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 12:22 AM
Definitely a Metropolis.

After three hours, you find that he checked in at Rivergate about 30 minutes before sundown, grabbed a bite to eat, but no alcohol, at a local pub, then proceeded back across King's Causeway. Curses! He's on the other side of the city wall tonight!

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 12:30 AM
Deciding it's likely Smithers spends the night at the Fortress, either in barracks or on duty, Sedrach visits the pub he had been in himself to eat a simple meal.

GI whether there are barracks the watchmen sleep in [roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 12:39 AM
There are indeed barracks. You also learn that all Watch recruits are required to live there for the duration of their training.

The Wall in the Hole Pub is apparently open, even at this late hour. Most of the patrons are quietly drinking alone or with friends in private booths. The one man at the bar is staring into the last half of his ale and seems to have been for some time now. The loudest sound in the whole place is the clinking of clay tankards as a barmaid clears them from an empty table. It seems most likely that Smithers comes here to relax when he eats.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 12:52 AM
Sedrach turns in for the day, resting and reshaping his Soulmelds.

Not easy... How frequented is the area around the Wall in the Hole at night? Any chance to ambush someone near there without being noticed?

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:01 AM
The Wall in the Hole is so named for being right near the city wall where the ground dips down a good bit. Not a great reason for the name, but a clever play on words that has seemed to draw in a loyal clientele. It's off the beaten path, as most people don't want to build too near the wall. At the current hour, most people are sleeping soundly in their beds, and the streets are all but deserted.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 01:12 AM
Excellent. After resting, Sedrach spends the time until the next night wiling away learning some stuff that might be useful should he survive this night's endeavor.
Come nightful, he returns to the Wall in the Hole, this time in the guise of a downbeaten merchant named Carl, and spends the time chatting with strangers or inviting them to a game of cards, hoping Smithers will come here again.

Jailbreak attempt forthcoming. Rolling GI on the happenings at the docks. Who are the guys causing trouble, what do they want, whether they attack on sight or just certain people(city officials? People with money? Particular race or group?)

Disguise [roll0]

GI 6 lower from change in Soulmelds
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]
[roll9] [roll10]
[roll11] [roll12]
[roll13] [roll14]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:33 AM
The stories from the Docks are varied and conflicting.

The place is haunted.
Rat men stalk the streets.
A Hobgoblin army has encamped there.
A portal to hell has opened, sucking in the souls of anyone who gets too close.
The king isn't sick, he's insane and has moved to the docks to slaughter the innocent and feast on their flesh.
Someone is stealing children for dark alchemy in an attempt to gain eternal youth.
The shadows eat people!

Two things are certain: Humans who go into the Docks at night disappear with parts of them being found scattered across the district over the next few days, and anyone who wanders into the shadows during the day suffers a similar fate.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:15 AM
hrm, that doesn't help as much as I hoped.

Camping at the Wall in the Hole waiting for Smithers to turn up.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:19 AM
Strangely, it seems as though he doesn't go to the same place for dinner every night.

Having not eaten the whole day, and had only one meal and some ale the day before, your belly begins to rumble fairly loudly.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:23 AM
Suppressing a curse, Sedrach fills his empty stomach at the Wall in the Hole again, then leaves and once again tries to track down his quarry.

Urban Tracking
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

In the future, if I am staying prolonged at a place that offers food, doing GI and the like, can we just assume I do eat when hungry?

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:26 AM
If you just want to assume you stop for regular meals, it's 2gp per day to buy decent food that's convenient.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:29 AM
Works for me. Though if I pull this off I'm gonna have a big victory feast somewhere

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:35 AM
Having stalked the place until well after the dinner rush waiting for Smithers, you find the sun has set and the city gates are shut once again.

Your trail is cold. It seems he hasn't entered through Rivergate today. All you're able to learn is that he came by here yesterday.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:42 AM
Determining it isn't all that important to get Smithers specifically, Sedrach tries to learn if there is any watch activity after nightfall and if so, where.

GI, stop after success
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

I'm content to jump any lone watchman, though I do wish I could have a go at Smithers. SMITHERS!

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:46 AM
You find that there are several Watchmen who patrol at night throughout the city, with the exception of the Docks. They never patrol in groups smaller than 2 except in South Market where they patrol alone but have frequently overlapping beats with scheduled check in times.

Takes 8 hours.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:52 AM
how much night time remaining?

How exactly are watchmen equipped(armor, weapons)? Would I be able to dress up as one with what I have(breastplate, 37 sets of clothing to choose from)?

Rizban
2012-10-25, 03:09 AM
City Watchmen are issued standard +1 chain shirts or +1 chainmail, a +1 longsword, and a tabard with the City Watch insignia on it. They also receive manacles, a whistle, and various other necessary tools which they keep on their handy belts.

About 3 hours.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 03:17 AM
Sedrach goes to South Market, trying to find a lone watchman in in isolated place.

Have to finish it before another one happens across us...
Can I attack the whistle while he wears it on his belt?

Sundering a Carried or Worn Object

You don’t use an opposed attack roll to damage a carried or worn object. Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC. A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character. Attacking a carried or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity just as attacking a held object does. To attempt to snatch away an item worn by a defender rather than damage it, see Disarm. You can’t sunder armor worn by another character.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:11 PM
The whistle is worn on a lanyard around the neck, easily within sight and fairly easy to hit, assuming that's your target.
You find three as they make their rounds, all human, in their early 20s, and identically armed.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:18 PM
Is that three at once? Continue walking if so. I shouldn't go all Leeroy Jenkins before I even break into the Fortress.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:34 PM
Not at once, just three that you've come across so far, but they are in the same general area, easily within earshot of a whistle blow and maybe within earshot of a shout.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-25, 02:40 PM
Hrm... I can do this in a more clever way... Sedrach decided to abandon his attempt for this night as well and return to his room for rest. The next day, he left his room through the door without disguise and went looking for a moneylender and a dealer in wands.

Knowledge Local [roll0]
GI [roll1]
I try to lend some money and get a half-charged divine wand of Silence.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:30 PM
What part of the city are you searching for your wand?

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 03:40 PM
Moneylender first. Once I got the cash I think I'll look in Temple as it is a divine wand I need.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:11 PM
You discover that almost any bank in the area is able to give a loan. There are two banks in Old Town and one just off of the Plaza to the northeast.

You also hear something about the Exchange Court that has to do with money. It's near Rivergate, but the exact nature of Exchange Court isn't really explained to you.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 04:13 PM
Sedrach decides to use the bank near the Plaza; it's likely the one most frequented by new arrivals, so hopefully won't require papers of citizenry or the like.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:30 PM
You follow the northeast road and immediately come upon Plaza Bank and Trust.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 04:33 PM
Sedrach enters. "Um, hello. Is this the right place to look for a loan?"

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:51 PM
Walking into the lobby and asking the question draws the attention of the armed guard by the door.

"Hey, kid, don't come in here shouting. Someone'll think you're trying to rob the place, and you'll get hurt."

He points to a desk not far from the entrance.

"Go sign in and wait your turn."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 04:59 PM
He goes to the desk to sign in and wait until it is his turn.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 05:02 PM
The receptionist at the desk says, "Name? Reason for visit?"

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 05:04 PM
"Sedrach Basilian. Looking to lend a bit of money."

Rizban
2012-10-26, 05:28 PM
"Ah, you're looking for a loan. Very well then. Sign here."

She slides a ledger toward you with a list of names and times. It appears you are to write in your name and the time you signed in. A large, mechanical clock on the far wall of the lobby indicates the time.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 05:31 PM
He signs name and time. "Nice clock. Some Gondar gnomes? They can do wonders with clockwork."

Rizban
2012-10-26, 06:00 PM
She looks at you funny.

"No, it was built locally. Not sure where Gondar is..."

She points to some wooden benches along the wall.

"You may have a seat until you are called."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 06:03 PM
"Um... Not a place. Worshippers of Gond. Thought they are called Gondites until I've been corrected. Never quite had someone half my size talk to me like that."

He takes a seat and waits.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 06:09 PM
She just shrugs. "Never heard of Gond either."

The wooden bench is surprisingly comfortable.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 06:14 PM
Sedrach waits.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 12:13 AM
Precisely 17 minutes and 38 seconds later...

"Bay-silly-anne? Bay-silly-anne?"

TheFallenOne
2012-10-29, 12:21 AM
Sedrach raises his hand, stands up and approaches. "Here."

Rizban
2012-10-29, 01:13 AM
The man calling you is a middle-aged half-elf with graying hair and a thin frame. A large gold earring hangs from his left ear, and the buttons on his vest are gold as well.

"Ah, Mr. Bay-silly-anne, there you are. If you'll just follow me to the desk and have a seat.

So, you are here to take out a loan. Is this correct?"

TheFallenOne
2012-10-29, 02:11 AM
"Now you mention it, aunt Anne was kinda simpleminded. Though I don't think the name is a pun on her to be honest." Sedrach shrugs rather noncommitically and takes a seat. "Yes, that is correct. How exactly does this work for newcomers to the city? Do you need something as collateral? Please be so kind to explain it in detail, my dear mother would die of anger if she learned I got into money business without knowing the rules."

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:54 AM
He looks at you unaffected by your joke.

"Collateral is, of course, mandatory. As a newcomer to the city, you must show proof of residence, which includes copies of for residency license and current address. Should your address change, you must update it with us. If you have a regular job, we can use your wages as collateral, otherwise, we'll need some valuable item of your with an equal or greater value to hold in our vaults until the total is repaid.

That said, our interest rates begin relatively low, but, being a first time borrower and having no credit history within Aldhaven, the interest will be a bit higher. Depending on what the adjuster says, you'll be getting around eleven percent annually, compound."

TheFallenOne
2012-10-29, 03:34 PM
"Oh, collateral of equal value is no problem. I reside in the Dancing Wizard though, I wanted to see how business is before deciding on something permanent and going through all that paperwork."

Rizban
2012-10-29, 04:42 PM
"Well then, once you have the appropriate paperwork, I'll be glad to submit your application to the loan officer. Until then, I don't see that there is anything more I can do for you."

He stands up.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-29, 05:07 PM
"Looks like it. See ya." Sedrach leaves; he was getting sidetracked by problems, and decided he would have to do the thing this night, Silence spell or not. He spends the day once again trying to learn a bit more about the spy story, and come nightfall, he stalks South Market, intent on ambushing a watchman.

Really want to get this thing started. If I die, I die, can't be helped

couple GIs, each in a different district. Stop when it's dark.
Oldtown [roll0] [roll1]
Temple [roll2] [roll3]
Guildsman [roll4] [roll5]
Midtown [roll6] [roll7]
Anything I can learn about the spies from the Empire rumor.

I think you said minor purchases can be done off-screen... I'd like to get a martial script each of Burning Blade and Distracting Ember.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 09:05 PM
You spend several hours in Old Town, Temple, and Guildsman. You fail to learn anything significant, though it appears that they might have been apprehended in Temple.

You make your purchases.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-29, 09:10 PM
Once in South Market, Sedrach reads one of his Burning Blade scripts to be able to end a fight in a quicker manner if he fails to contain the ambush to a one on one. He then stalks the streets, trying to find a halfway isolated watchman and strike.

spend 30 minutes scouting to get an idea of their numbers and locations, then strike at the one most removed from the rest

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:37 AM
You indeed find the one most removed from the rest. He seems to be taking a short break from patrolling to smoke.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-30, 01:41 AM
Casually walk past him. If the street is only 10 feet wide attack when we're next to each other, that way a Withdraw action won't avoid an AoO

Do I have a surprise round?
[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:50 AM
The street is about 15 to 20 ft wide, but there's a number of small alleys between the buildings.

You don't have to put everything in spoilers...

You don't get a surprise round unless he doesn't see you move to attack. Also, you don't get one if you don't actually attack.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-30, 01:53 AM
"Evenin', officer." While passing, Sedrach makes a sudden swipe at the whistle of the watchman.

[roll0] [roll1]

Assuming I have a surprise round

I'm used to posting everything OOC, including rolls, in a spoiler, everything IC outside. If you prefer another way of formatting I can do without.

edit: so, what is that to make him not see me move to attack. Bluff check? Or must I be completely unseen?

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:34 AM
OOC chat and rolls are neater inside a spoiler, but if you're going to perform an action, please put it outside of the spoiler. Otherwise, I'm just going to ignore any actions inside the spoiler you don't mention outside of it.

You win initiative and get the attack."How dare you strike an officer of the law?!"

He draws his sword and attacks you, hitting for [roll0] damage.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-30, 02:52 AM
Actually, as winning initiative means I get a full round action, shouldn't I have my secondaries on a full attack as well before he acts? And the whistle is destroyed I hope?

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:56 AM
Sure. Sorry, I'm pretty tired at 3AM...

TheFallenOne
2012-10-30, 03:06 AM
No worries.

Secondaries vs FF AC. Take -4 for nonlethal damage on all attacks except bite

[roll0] [roll1]

[roll2] [roll3]

[roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7]

Also, I stupidly forgot to roll Knowledge Devotion [roll8] --> add 1 to all attack and damage rolls above

Short pause before my follow-up turn, just want to know if I did any nonlethal to decide whether to take the -4 again

Rizban
2012-10-30, 05:12 AM
You hit him for 6 nonlethal and 7 lethal.

He hits you for 10 lethal.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-30, 07:14 AM
"Successfully, I hope", Sedrach retorted, showing his bloody teeth in a wide grin. He unleashed a flurry of attacks on the watchman, the pain of his sustained wound fueling him to give his strikes an extra edge.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]

[roll9] [roll10] [roll11]

[roll12] [roll13] [roll14]

Stop attacking if he goes unconscious. 17 HP buffer between unconsciousness and death will hopefully be enough.
Heal 6 HP any time I hit him(Martial Spirit + 2 Essentia in Therapeutic Mantle)

edit: quite nice rolls there... Could have taken the -4, but I was very concerned about him calling for help.
Also, should have been 7 nonlethal, 8 lethal with Knowledge Devotion bonus

Rizban
2012-10-30, 12:02 PM
After your second claw attack, he collapses. A pool of blood starts to form around him, but he seems to still be alive... for now.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-31, 02:46 AM
To heal or not to heal... Does he look like he fits in my bag of holding(250 pounds max)?

Rizban
2012-10-31, 03:12 AM
He and his gear combined definitely weigh more than 250. Naked, he'd probably fit.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-31, 04:13 AM
Sedrach draws his Lesser Vigor wand and gives the man a charge to make sure he doesn't bleed out. Followed by some less than friendly kicks and punches in the rips to make sure he stays out cold. He then puts his sword back in the scabbard and removes the man's armor and uniform, stuffing it into his mundane bag.

move to draw wand, standard to use. Then full round nonlethal attack, stop when I reached 30 damage
If there's a dark, secluded place with cover I can drag him to I do so before I start stripping him.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 04:16 AM
He regains consciousness, looks directly at you, tries to move, then is immediately pummeled into unconsciousness by your attack.

You drag him into the nearby alley.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-31, 04:34 AM
Sedrach strips him, gear into his mundane bag, and then attempts to shove the body into his Bag of Holding.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 05:16 AM
It all goes according to plan.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-31, 05:56 AM
Excellent. He shouldn't suffocate too soon, but still Sedrach returns to the Dancing Wizard without wasting another second, blinking into his room, then retrieving the body to manacle his hands behind his bag, tie the legs with a rope and gag him with a piece of cloth.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 10:03 PM
You do so.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-01, 03:44 AM
Before starting the interrogation, Sedrach inspects what gear the watchman had carried besides armor and weapon.

Rizban
2012-11-01, 04:16 AM
He had his clothing, a tabard (now torn and bloody) with the emblem of the Watch, a whistle, manacles, 7.23gp, a personal identification paper, and a snuff box of tobacco with paper and matches. Careful searching reveals a small gem the size of a man's fingernail attached to his left temple hat is obviously magical.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-01, 04:23 AM
Hm... Hope this isn't what I fear it is. Sedrach takes all the man's stuff including the gem and puts it into his Bag of Holding, then puts a thick piece of cloth as blindfold over his eyes. He gives him a charge of his Lesser Vigor wand to wake him up.

That heals 11 lethal and 11 nonlethal. If still unconscious another charge.

"Hey there, how's it hanging? I will explain to you how this will work. I will ask a series of questions and expect honest answers. Just to make sure you don't try to get smart on me I will already know some of the answers. If I am dissatisfied with your cooperation, there will be a tax - first your right ear, then your left eye, then your right nipple, then something on the left again as we continue to go down. Follow me so far? Say 'Hmmhm' for yes."

Rizban
2012-11-01, 04:37 AM
Just curious, but, what do you think it is?Two charges later... "Hmmhm."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-01, 04:42 AM
Communications/tracking device would be bad. Ioun Stones look similar, but float instead of being attached.

"Very good. Does the watch currently hold alleged spies from the Empire of Seven Dragons? Nod or shake your head."

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:45 AM
He shrugs, apparently to indicate that he doesn't know.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-03, 04:19 AM
Sedrach lightly grabs the man's right ear between thumb and pointer. "You sure about that?"

roll Sense Motive as appropriate. Doing so myself would give too much metaknowledge from seeing the result of the roll

Rizban
2012-11-03, 05:08 AM
He looks too frightened to lie to you.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-03, 05:12 AM
"Well, that makes this shorter than anticipated.

Prisoners are held in the Fortress, right?

Where are the cells? Stop me when I'm there. Underground, ground level, first floor, second floor..."

going with two questions per post unless you prefer another number

Rizban
2012-11-03, 01:52 PM
He nods yes.

He nods when you say "Underground."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-04, 06:25 AM
"Does the place have some protection against Teleportation?

Is there more than one underground level?"

Rizban
2012-11-07, 11:30 PM
He shakes his head "no."

He nods "yes."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-08, 01:39 AM
"Mumble for yes. Are the cells on multiple levels? Are there cells on the first underground level? The second? Third? Fourth?

At this point I'd like to give you talking privileges again. You better not try to scream; I wouldn't eypect much of it, but you never know where a keen-eared elf might wander... Anyway, remember how I bit you? Try something and I rip your throat out. Clear so far?"

Rizban
2012-11-09, 02:08 AM
He just sighs and looks down.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-09, 02:17 AM
"I'll take that as a yes." He removes the gag. "Tell me all you know about the location of the cells, guards and how the prisoners are secured. Do well enough and you might come out of this alive, though I'll be long gone by the time you wake up."

Rizban
2012-11-09, 02:22 AM
"Look, I really don't know the answers. I'm a beat cop. They don't ever put me on cell duty. I know they have cells, they're underground, and there's at least two levels. I don't know nothing more than that."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-09, 02:27 AM
"Very well, I will figure that out then as I go along.

But you do know how they will react when they notice you missing, don't you? What will they do and when? And that little magic trinket on your temple, what does that one do?"

Rizban
2012-11-09, 04:50 AM
"Depends on how long I was unconscious before you started interrogating me. Might be that by now they have people on the streets looking for me. Might not be. Five minutes after I missed a check point, they tried to contact me on that."

He nods his head towards the little crystal.

"Communication magic. Real fancy. Once their attempt failed, they activated the fail safe. Any second now, you're likely to have the Watch break down your door in search of that little crystal."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-09, 05:18 AM
"I was expecting as much. Too bad I put it into extradimensional storage right after arriving here and kept it there. I will be suitably impressed if this thing works through that. And now it is back to sleep for you." He knocks the man out and gags him again just to be sure, then begins dressing up as an officer of the watch. Sergeant Smithers would do.

I got Disguise +15, 26 sets of clothing plus what I took from that guy and with Guidance of the Avatar +20 on whatever skill is appropriate to repair or fake missing articles of clothing. What do you need me to roll?

Rizban
2012-11-09, 06:13 AM
You need a clean, undamaged Watch tabard to complete your outfit. They're pretty obvious and specific. You do not have one on hand, and faking one is going to be rather difficult, though a high enough Disguise check would suffice.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-09, 08:07 AM
Disguise, with Guidance of the Avatar [roll0]

Wouldn't it be repairable with that +20? I do have needle and twine.

Rizban
2012-11-09, 04:29 PM
Twine (http://www.benmeadows.com/images/regular/Binder-Twine-BEN-_i_BMM106071Z.jpg)is not thread. It's basically small, coarse rope. Also, his tabard has a fair amount of blood on it.You finish your disguise to your satisfaction.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-10, 04:03 AM
Sedrach blinks out of his room and enters Oldtown, aproaching the city wall well removed from the bridge and towers. Once there and sure nobody is watching him, he drinks his potion of Invisibility, blinks past the wall and smoothly walks on the flowing water until he reaches the wall of the fortress, blinking past that one as well.

about here
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6439/routeur.jpg

Invisibility lasts 3 minutes. With 2 Essentia in Cerulean Sandals I have a movement speed of 40 ft, as well as permanent Water Walk.

I leave the watchman with 30+ nonlethal damage.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 07:02 AM
What are you using to "blink?" Your sandals?

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 07:11 AM
Blink Shirt with 2 Essentia as usual. 30 ft range.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 07:34 AM
Ah, right, sorry. I thought you had unshaped that one for some reason. :smalltongue: It's really early, and I just woke up.You enter The Fortress! Inside, well, it's a fortress. Several buildings are built within which appear to be barracks, storage, a smithy, a stable, and a few more the purpose of which isn't immediately recognizable.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 07:44 AM
Blink Shirt is the one Soulmeld I'll never exchange, it just offers so many options, as well as ways to escape.

Is there something recognizable as main building, like a small keep, or is it just the mentioned buildings surrounded by a wall?

Rizban
2012-11-12, 07:47 AM
It's just the mentioned buildings surrounded by the wall, much as is shown on the map. :smalltongue:

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 07:57 AM
ah, I see the first link in your sig gives a picture without white script over it making it difficult to make out building borders. I go for the L-shaped building at the bottom, unless I identified that one as the stables or smithy

If an action would bring me close to a guard whose location I didn't know explicitly please ask for confirmation.

Infiltration: Success. Sedrach quickly made for the biggest building he saw, entering it and looking for stairs leading down. This was as far as his preparation could bring him, from now on he had to improvise.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 08:22 AM
The L-shaped building was indeed one of the buildings you couldn't identify. Upon entering, it appears to be a building with many purposes. You see offices, temporary holding cells, signs giving directions to barracks for new recruits, and a registration and information center about the City Watch.

You pass a number of Watch members. Most ignore you, though a few give you polite nods. One overzealous recruit comes to full attention and salutes. Fortunately, no one seems to give you any trouble. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be stairs leading down in any of the front areas.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 08:36 AM
At this point Sedrach is pretty sure he is in the right building, but the lack of stairs so far was still disconcerting. He must never look like he doesn't know where to go, so he strides straight down the first main corridor going through the length of the building he can find. If I have no luck I have to blink straight down 10 feet or so. It is a risk, but I can't keep searching for long.

Assume Quirk denies people familiar with Smithers bonuses on seeing through my disguise, just mentioning in case it will matter.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 12:48 PM
You pass through a lightly guarded door and around the corner of the L. This hallway is lighted only by the occasional small window or everbright lantern. This hall extends the length of the long side of the L and out of sight into the shadows, tiny islands of light visible in the distance. Side halls cross this one at irregular distances.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 01:21 PM
Sedrach walks down the hallway, hoping to be in the right part of the building. Using the authority of a sergeant to be escorted to the cells was still an option, but one carrying risks. But maybe there were other informants available...

I got 3/day Speak With Animals. If I happen to notice any kind of animal I go for it and ask where the stairs down are.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 02:16 PM
You, sadly, see only a few diminutive vermin. None of which would know, even if the spell worked on them, due to being totally mindless.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 02:20 PM
down the hallway then

Rizban
2012-11-12, 02:41 PM
Each side hall has from one to three doors, either on the side walls or at the end of the hall. No side hall appears to be more than 20 feet long. Upon reaching the end of the building, you find that it's the same all the way down with no obvious stairs.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 02:51 PM
Okay. Time to go for broke. He didn't like the options now available, and impersonating a sergeant without being really familiar with their regulations and customs could spectacularly backfire, but the alternative was a blind blink into where he guesses the cellars are.
He takes out the identification papers of the watchman to look up his name and other data, then puts them away again. Walking brusquely, he looks for a lone watchman of lower rank and hopes he can just roll over him.
"You! I might need another hand. Escort me to the cells, now. One of our people is in danger."

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:13 PM
Bluff check, please.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 04:16 PM
[roll0]
*cross fingers* silly me not preparing with a GotA charge...

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:32 PM
He is visibly shaken and seems a bit reluctant to follow you.

"W..wot? I d..don't have access to the cells."

In other words, he didn't see through your Bluff but isn't willing to follow you so easily.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 04:41 PM
"Listen young man, this is too urgent to argue with your superior. I said to the cells, not into. I want an extra guard outside just in case. Now move it!"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:49 PM
"A..a...alright. L..Lead the way."

You notice that he a death grip on a small locket worn around his neck. Maybe some kind of lucky charm?

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 04:55 PM
The fake sergeant's eyes narrow, and he steps so close the watchman can feel his breath on his face. "I think you skipped training one time too many. When a sergeant tells you to 'move it', you do so. You do not tell them to lead you around like a small child!"

I can barely repress throwing some Full Metal Jacket quotes in there

Rizban
2012-11-12, 05:37 PM
"S..Sir! Yes, sir!"

He takes off down the hall, makes it about five steps, then stops.

"Sir.. uh, I d..don't know the w..w..way, sir."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-13, 01:47 AM
wha....

Well, a beat cop not knowing much about the cells was reasonably compatible with my assumptions. But if someone on guard duty inside the Fortress doesn't know how to get there it can't be as simple as 'main building --> stairs down --> cells'. Either they're in a completely different place, the stairs are hidden or there are no stairs in the first place and you go underground somehow else.

I need some time to think now how to make it past this road bump.

Rizban
2012-11-13, 08:40 PM
Well, you did specify a "lone watchman of lower rank". Apparently, this one was lower rank enough that he hasn't been posted on prisoner duty. :smalltongue: Seriously though, I randomly rolled to see who you encountered and what he knew. I'm not just trying to screw you.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-14, 03:23 AM
oh, I didn't think you were putting obstacles in my way just for the hell of it. It's just it seems now rather improbable the L building has stairs leading down. I can see a new guy never having prison duty, never witnessing a prisoner transport, never hearing others who do know mention it, and not being informed where the cells are so he knows where to go if there is a general alarm or incident, though the latter seems a bad idea to me. But, failing to note the presence of stairs? I have to assume they are in a different building, or the cells don't have a physical entrance in the first place(admittedly makes decent security, and if they can afford +1 gear for everyone they can afford short-range magical transport).
Or maybe he saw the stairs, but isn't sure they lead to the cells...

Rizban
2012-11-14, 05:18 AM
Or maybe they're behind one of the numerous doors down one of the numerous hallways off of the main hallway. :smallwink: But, then again, maybe not. :smallamused:

TheFallenOne
2012-11-14, 08:47 AM
"You don't know the way", Sedrach hisses, not having to feign the anger. "So if there ever is an incident or alarm at the cells, you're useless unless led by the hand because you don't. Know. The. Way. Get out of my eyes now before I overstep the rights of my rank and better hope I forget about this."

I will look for another watchman of lower rank than sergeant and try the same thing again... This time I buff with GotA when out of sight.
[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-14, 08:50 AM
He cowers and slinks back to his post.

You make your bluff attempt, and the guard looks around confused.

"I... don't hear the alarm. What kind of trouble?"

TheFallenOne
2012-11-14, 08:55 AM
"A watchman on patrol in South Market vanished. It's not conclusive, but I have reason to suspect a link to a prisoner. If we act fast we might learn something that helps in saving our man."

I looked at his papers, what was his name and rank?

Rizban
2012-11-14, 09:10 AM
Einhart Werner, Watchman First Class

"Sorry. What was it you wanted me to do?"

TheFallenOne
2012-11-14, 09:14 AM
"Escort me to the cells and be an extra guard at the exit, just to be on the safe side. How about you move it now instead of questioning me?"

Rizban
2012-11-14, 09:15 AM
"Right, so shouldn't you be at the cells asking for help instead of all the way over here? This just doesn't make any sense."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-14, 09:24 AM
"I'm here because I want an extra man at the cells. And you better remember I outrank you. So you either do as I say, or file a complaint with my superior because you think my command to be against regulations. Choose fast or we're gonna have a problem..."

[roll0] *cross fingers*
bother... bad skill rolls here

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:28 PM
His face becomes angry and confused.

"Something's not right here. I don't care who you think you are, this isn't how things are done. You better start giving me some straight answers."

He reaches for his sword.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-15, 03:24 AM
"As you wish. Perhaps you will regret your suspicivity when it gets you killed." Wait, is that a word? Oh well, too late for regrets. His arms come forth, ready to rip into the perceptive watchman.

[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-11-15, 05:23 AM
Forgot Knowledge Devotion [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-15, 06:00 PM
He draws his sword, takes a step forward, and full attacks you, hitting twice.

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheFallenOne
2012-11-15, 06:09 PM
"You're better than Einhart. Mind telling me your name soldier?" Sedrach asks as he retaliates.

shift Essentia

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]

Heal 6 per hit. Damages assumes +2 from Favored Enemy(Human)

will use Reflexive Psychosis if attacked in melee

Rizban
2012-11-15, 06:19 PM
"Surrender, scum."

He kicks out at your legs, attempting to trip you. Make a Str check.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-15, 06:23 PM
any hit?

[roll0]

"That's still sir to you. Sir Scum if you please."

Rizban
2012-11-15, 10:14 PM
Knocking your feet from under you, he swings his sword down hard with both hands, connecting with you just as you slam into the floor.

[roll0]Improved trip, no AoO. Rolled an 18 before modifiers.
+3 Str, two-handed, Power Attack for 3.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-16, 04:06 AM
The blade makes a deep cut, and Sedrach bites and scratches at the man's legs from his position.

DR reduces damage to 10
Did I hit before? I need to know to calculate my HP

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]

Rizban
2012-11-16, 06:19 AM
Your first and third claw attacks hit on your first attack round, while your second and third hit on the second round.

The guard takes a 5ft step back from you, pulls a small, glowing something from his belt and pops it in his mouth. The wounds you have opened on him begin to close.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-16, 06:23 AM
Sedrach stands up, follows the man's movement and swipes at his chest with a claw.

60 damage, minus whatever he just healed. Tough guy.

[roll0] [roll1]

Rizban
2012-11-16, 06:31 AM
Your attack fails to penetrate his armor.

He again attempts to trip you.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-16, 06:33 AM
[roll0]

"Not a very original fellow are you."

Rizban
2012-11-16, 06:36 AM
He easily pushes you to the ground, following up with two hard slashes made in silent determination. Only one hits.

[roll0]

He again takes a 5ft step back. His back is now to a wall.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-16, 06:43 AM
"Banana banana ham." Sedrach again stands up, follows up to trap the man against the wall and attacks.

8 after DR

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:12 PM
Your attack opens up a brutal gash is his side, causing him to gasp and cough. His attacks miss you.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 02:18 PM
With a mad grin, Sedrach goes in for the finish.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:32 PM
You rip him open. He falls to the ground dead and bloody.

Suddenly, the door at the end of the hall behind you flies open.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 02:38 PM
Sedrach grabs the sword of the fallen man; no time to properly loot, but bringing the prisoners he wants to free a weapon seems like a good idea. He turns, looking what is about to burst through the door. He could probably handle two men at once, but any more and he'd likely have to use his mobility advantage by blinking through walls. Probably too late for bluffing them into thinking he was the bad guy with the blood around my lips. Oh well, let's roll with it.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:04 PM
You see two men, obviously not member of the Watch, prisoners by the look of them. They both appear unarmed, but the one in front suddenly summons two large owlbear skeletons.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 06:14 PM
"Oi, you!" he calls out, pointing the three arms not holding the sword at them. "Got a sense of irony on you? I went through three watch officers, none too happy to have met me, and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me where the cells are. If you do it will make my day."

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:59 PM
"Yeah, we're just on our way out of the cells. What's so important that you have to murder your way through guards to break into prison?"

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 07:05 PM
"Guess once or twice of thrice, no make that Seven, as in Dragons of the Empire. Know where the spies are? Help me get them and I'll help you. You won't get past the walls on your own, but I came prepared." He blinks 10 feet to the left to demonstrate.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 07:40 PM
"They must be in the lower prisons below where we were held. I'll let you through, then."

The Owlbear Skeletons stand down, and the two men back down the short flight of stairs to the prison levels.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 07:43 PM
"Good. One of you need a sword to whack watchmen?" Sedrach walks past the skeletons and down the stairs, offering the sword if one of the men desires it.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 08:11 PM
The caster says, "Unnecessary for myself, though I am in dire need of my spellpouch and other confiscated equipment at some point. Need me to have the skeletons break down the door to the lower level?"

The other prisoner readily accepts. "Yeah, I need a good blade."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 08:15 PM
"Go ahead. I'll blink ahead and see if I can find my targets. Save your other spells for combat, we should have company soon. See you in a few." Sedrach walks next to the door and blinks on the other side, taking a look around the place.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-18, 08:43 PM
What language is used in the Empire of Seven Dragons? Common? Draconic?

I'm looking for an easy way to conclude someone isn't from there. Something common knowledge in the Empire, but more obscure here. Like every German, even the stupid ones, knows Stuttgart is in Baden Württemberg and München in Bayern, RTL is a TV channel and CSU a political party.

I don't want to end up doing all this for a dirty opportunist who just falsely claims to be one of the spies :smalltongue:

Rizban
2012-11-19, 02:36 AM
That would be a Knowledge check. :smallbiggrin:The other side of the door is simple a stairway that curves around on itself as it descends. At the bottom, you find another hallway identical to the one above. There are four cells all along the same wall. Another set of iron bars prevents you from entering this hallway. At the far end is another set of stairs with yet another door.

Descending the stairs, you quickly loose sight of the men (and owlbear skeletons) you just met.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 05:07 AM
shouldn't I know some basic things about the country I grew up in? At the very least what language is used`?

So at least three levels of cells. Sedrach blinks past the first set of bars, adressing the cells assuming they have a window. "Quick show of hands, who here is an alleged spy from the Empire of Seven Dragons? Don't be shy, I said 'alleged', you don't admit to anything just by speaking up."

Rizban
2012-11-19, 05:55 AM
Ah, right, forgot that was your home country.

They speak a dialect of Common that includes an abnormally high number of Draconic words. Most people cannot speak or read Draconic, but they understand enough of it to get the basic message when someone speaks Draconic to them in an attempt to be understood.

No one responds. It seems as if these four cells are completely empty.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 06:04 AM
well I do have a reason for risking my life on this :smalltongue:

He should probably allow the other two a chance to catch up, so Sedrach tries to work the locks on the two sets of iron bars. He then goes to the next level below.

Guidance of the Avatar charge, Take 10 for an Open Lock of 35

If fail I blink past the bars and down into the third underground level

Rizban
2012-11-19, 06:09 AM
You manage to open both locks and head deeper.

The next level is yet another clone of the last, except that this floor is completely unlit. Small traces of the flicking torches from above creep down the stairs but are quickly lost in the darkness below.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 06:12 AM
Sedrach activates one of his sunrods and tosses it into the middle of the hallway. He adresses the cells using the Common interspersed with Draconic words used in the Empire. "Hey there, anyone here? I'm looking for some guys or gals accused of being spies from the Empire of Seven Dragons."

Rizban
2012-11-19, 06:21 AM
A lone hand reaches out of the cell. It looks rather emaciated, as if the person to whom it belongs has been starved for quite some time.

"Save... me..." The two words are in draconic.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 06:24 AM
Sedrach goes to work on the lock. "You one of them? Two quick questions then, how many more are there and in which District were you captured? And speak in the dialect please, not pure Draconic."

Open Lock 35 again

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:16 AM
The lock refuses to open.

"Water..." In common this time.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 07:18 AM
Sedrach blinks inside the cells and offers the speaker his waterskin and one trail ration. "Fine, take a moment to recover. Same questions then."

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:36 AM
He drinks the water and tries to chew the trail rations, but the hard, dried rations are too difficult for him to do more than chew at feebly.

He coughs several times as he tries to speak, his voice obviously unused to speech.
"Yes, I'm from the Empire. Was amb...ambassador until the Empire abandoned me. Arrested for murder after I killed an assassin. Stupid. Real stupid."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 07:39 AM
"Oh, so you're not with the Empire anymore? And they tried to kill you? That's rough man."

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:41 AM
"I don't know who sent assassin. Was forsaken after arrest. Too much political trouble, they said."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 07:45 AM
"I see. And would you happen to know of any spies from the Empire who got arrested as well? I can help you, if I consider you useful..."

if I know the rough date of when the arrests happened I mention it

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:49 AM
You do not have that information.

"N..No. I've b..been in here I think... um... five years? They u..used t..to treat..t me w..well, but {HACK COUGH} they t..tend to forget a..about me n..n..now."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 07:54 AM
Well, he wasn't the price he came for, but if he found the spies he could just ask them what to do with the sad former ambassador... "Climb into my Bag of Holding, we're leaving this cell. Hophop." He holds the bag open and once the man is inside he blinks into the hallway again and works the lock to the fourth underground level.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:01 AM
Seeing a chance to finally escape, the old man tenderly climbs into the bag. He, however, refuses to let go of the edge of the bag, leaving his fingers sticking out. From this position, he will get plenty of air and also be able to open the bag from within if necessary.

The lock on the next door refuses to open. It seems to have a much better lock than the other doors.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 08:04 AM
With a shrug, Sedrach blinks again and enters the fourth underground floor, lighting another sunrod.

By Diablo I standards 1-4 should be stonework, 5-8 old catacombs, then mines and hell itself :smalltongue:

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:11 AM
The stonework here begins to give way to old catacombs... Or perhaps it is just your mind playing tricks on you.

The air here is damp, and mildew has begun to grow on the floor and walls, making your footing uneven and potentially treacherous. The sunrod bounces and comes to rest in a small puddle that has pooled on the ground, but it is so shallow that the sunrod barely even gets wet.

There are again four cells here, all along the same wall. This appears to be the bottom, as no further stairs are evident. These cells are also empty, except for the remains of a skeleton in the far cell, the wall shackle still locked around its ankle.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 08:14 AM
"Wha? Oh don't tell me there are other four story cell tracks beside this one... HELLOOOO, anybody here?" He adresses the man in the bag. "Do you know where more cells are?"

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:18 AM
"Y..Yes. There are cells all along this building. They're always grouped in four floors of four cells each. These are the low security cells usually used for repeat drunks and those taken in for questioning who still pose some safety risk. I got stuck there because I wouldn't cooperate enough to get a suite above ground. You could just hop over to the next hall and head down to the next cells..."

He seems to be regaining the strength in his voice as he begins to use it once more.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 08:24 AM
"I suppose it had been too easy, with no guards around... The spies I want are said to still have active allies on the loose, so I assume they are high security? Where are those cells? If they are parallel to this tract I can just blink there, but I need to guess the right distance." He tried to remember the distance between the doors on the ground floor.

Spot? Int check? Something else?

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:40 AM
The hallways were about every 20 to 40 feet. However, you didn't explore them, so you don't really know how thick the walls might be, especially underground. The old man doesn't seem to know either.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 08:45 AM
"Close the bag properly for just a moment." With a shrug, Sedrach blinks 30 feet to the left from the center of the hallway.

Let's gamble

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

'creature travelling with you' however refers to additional targets of the normal spell, I think he should be fine in the bag

Rizban
2012-11-19, 09:03 AM
You take [roll0] damage and find yourself emerging from the wall of a cell you have not seen before. It seems to be empty.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 09:05 AM
Sedrach blinks outside the cell, checking if the hallway is familiar and if not takes a look into the other cells.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 09:10 AM
Blinking into the hall beyond the cell, you need to make a Will save.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-19, 09:16 AM
[roll0]
Immune if mind-affecting