PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Frenzied One

Rizban
2012-10-19, 01:10 AM
This is a private thread for Ulm11 and GM(s) only. If you are anyone else, PLEASE do not read it.

Entering the Temple District, he finds himself outside the temple of Pelor (http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/37716d3423a654bdbbb1b92b223a9cedc158e54c.pjpg), which is surrounded by the thick, circular outer wall. A sense of power seems to linger in the air. The large front door to the temple stands open, and can be seen from the gate in the outer wall, revealing a large statue of Pelor sitting cross legged with open arms, welcoming his children into the temple. A gold sun the size of a troll tops the temple.

Barely a block away stands the opposite of the grand temple of Pelor. The modest temple of Bahamut is simple and avoids the baroque and heavy ornamentations of many of the other temples. It seems to be made of rather plain stone, though the inside of front door is inlaid with Bahamut's holy symbol wrought in platinum, the only ornamentation visible on the temple.

The twin temples to Solaron and Minrhet are two blocks west and one north of Pelor. The one on the right features a bronze lantern-shaped building that seems to glow internally. The one on the left has a draconic theme, showing chromatic and metallic dragons working together. The buildings are connected by a spiral tower that mixes the two themes. Four small shrines are located, one each, at the four external corners of the buildings.

Not far away, a great library stands in the district, the main doors watched over by priestesses in dark emerald green robes.

Hundreds of small temples, shrines, and small statues line every street as far as the eye can see dedicated to all manner of gods, goddesses, and pantheons.

Ulm11
2012-10-19, 04:21 PM
Aukan could only stare up in awe at the temple of Pelor. In all of his travels he had never seen anything as ornate in any of the lands that he had crossed. This was nothing like he was to, as even grandest shrine he had back home had been barely anything more then a couple ornate stones. Curious to see what else was in the temple, besides the giant statue of Pelor, he began to wander through the sacred grounds.

Rizban
2012-10-20, 04:08 AM
You find yourself in a large, open air courtyard around the temple (http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/37716d3423a654bdbbb1b92b223a9cedc158e54c.pjpg) surrounded by the thick, circular outer wall. The people in the courtyard are either tending the grounds or are deep in prayer and meditation. A priest near the door stops you should you decide to approach the temple proper.

Ulm11
2012-10-21, 12:01 PM
He stopped for a moment as he saw the priest at the door.So what now? Will I even be allowed in? No matter, I already came this far I might as well see if I am allowed in this temple. Aukan resend walking, only to stop when the priest came and blocked his path as he tried to walk through the doors. "Why are you blocking my path?"

Rizban
2012-10-21, 01:52 PM
The people in the courtyard are either tending the grounds or are deep in prayer and meditation. A priest near the door stops you as you approach the temple proper.

"Greetings, sir. How may Pelor assist you today?"

Ulm11
2012-10-22, 11:19 AM
"I am new to this city so I was just taking some time to explore the various sights. Before I go, is there any work that the temple needs done that they are looking to hire outside help?"

Rizban
2012-10-22, 11:55 AM
"There is always work to be done. We have need of volunteers to help the needy at all times."

Ulm11
2012-10-22, 11:40 PM
"So what exactly would I be required to do if I agreed to help out?

Rizban
2012-10-23, 01:16 PM
"well, there's the soup kitchen, laundry, preparing baths, and similar. The more difficult aspects of the work, such as sharing the light of Pelor, remain the duty of the priests."

Ulm11
2012-10-23, 11:58 PM
"Thank you for the offer, but I feel that I lack the skills necessary to fulfil those type of duty's." Emphasising his words by turning slightly to reveal the massive axe upon his back. "If I find myself desperate for coin I might return but for now I think I must be off." Taking one last look into the inside of the temple he began to track down the steps in search of the temple of Kord, hoping to find something more useful there.

OOC:
If the priest does have something more to say to Aukan then he will stop and listen if not then he leaves the temple grounds.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:51 AM
Kord's "temple" is easily found, though it is not what he was expecting. In fact, it is little more than a ring of standing stones about 50' in diameter with a shallow depression in the middle. A few rough benches sit near the stones.

Within the stones, two large, mostly naked warriors are in the process of trying to beat each other to death with their bare hands. A crowd of equally tough warriors seems to be cheering them on, some drinking heavily. A few similar men wearing prominent holy symbols of Kord are alternating between cheering, drinking, and healing the injured.

Truly, this is a revelry of strength and chaos that Kord himself would approve.

Ulm11
2012-10-24, 10:20 PM
I don't know quite what I was expecting, but I don't think I was expecting to find a place just like home. Slightly unsure about what he was supposed to do he began to slowly walk to where the rest of the crowd was congregated. As he drew closer he began to cheer for the slightly weaker combatant, not really caring that he knew nothing about him, in the hope of the fight getting more interesting.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately, the combatant for whom you were cheering quickly succumbs to the battering. As he begins to falter, his opponent rushes him and knocks him from the ring. The crowd roars to celebrate the triumph.

Suddenly, someone grabs you by the shoulder and begins to shout.

"Hey boys! It looks like we've got a new challenger!"

They cheer even louder than they did for the win as the man who grabbed your shoulder shoves you slightly towards the arena.

"Who's gonna fight the new guy?"

Ulm11
2012-10-24, 11:15 PM
Slightly taken aback after begin grabbed he feels his anger flare up but he forces it down with a quick laugh.

"It's been all too long since I have had the chance for a good fight."

As he slowly makes his way into the arena Aukan rolls his arms slightly to loosen up before reaching up for his axe.

"So the real question is are we fighting with weapons or our bare hands?"

Rizban
2012-10-24, 11:21 PM
He grabs your wrist as you reach for the axe.

"Whoa, buddy, this is just friendly like. No weapons and no killing blows."

Ulm11
2012-10-24, 11:37 PM
"Sorry about that mixup and I should have thought about that."

He pulls his hand free and grabs his axe before placing it outside the arena.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 12:24 AM
A half-orc priest steps into the ring just after hanging his holy symbol on a peg driven into one of the upright stones.

"I'll take on the newcomer. Let's see how he fights."

He beats on his chest once.

"Come thee at me, brother."

He intentionally loses initiative to you.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 12:51 AM
Aukan nods his head slightly at the priest.

"Thank you for this opportunity."

With nothing else to say Aukan rushes at the Half-Orc priest and attempts to crush him between his arms.

Rolls

Melee touch attack roll [roll0]
(Assuming the touch attack works) Opposed grapple check roll [roll1]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 12:58 AM
As you charge at him, he swing his fist up towards your jaw but just misses.

He doesn't seem to resist your grapple, instead embracing you in a bear hug of his own.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 01:06 AM
Grunting slightly Aukan tries to slam the priest to the ground.

Grapple roll [roll0]
Damgage roll [roll1] (I think. Not sure how powerful build plays into unarmed damage but I assume this is right)

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:13 AM
Looks fine for this. I'll look at the actual rules later.
He resists the attempt but is bruised by your strength.

Shifting his weight slightly backwards, he sweeps his leg at your feet, trying to knock them from under you and drag you backwards with him.

Roll an opposed grapple above 25 to keep from being moved.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 01:19 AM
Gritting his teeth Aukan tries to resist the attempt to knock him off his feat.

I just want to check that my correct grapple roll is 16. 12 from BAB and strength bonus, with +4 from powerful build. Assuming that is correct here is my roll.[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:43 AM
You resist mightily, but he manages to knock one of your feet from under you, pulling you back with him almost to the edge of the arena. If he gets you out, you lose.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 01:47 AM
Aukan snarls as he attempts to force the priest away from him

I think this is the right check to make [roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:57 AM
You shove him back a step as you break the grapple.

This time he ducks down and sweeps your legs hard. It seems to be a favorite tactic of his.

Opposed Str or Dex check to avoid being tripped, [roll0]

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:04 AM
Grinning for a moment Aukan tries to jump as fast he can to avoid the leg.

[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:07 AM
You manage only to throw yourself off balance, landing hard.

Before you can move again, his leg spins up, around, and down, crashing into your chest.

[roll0] nonlethal.

Your move.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:14 AM
Aukan gasps out as he feels the leg slam into his chest. Determined to regain the tempo he grabs out at the leg and attempts to slam the priest to the ground.

Making sure to cover all my bases. If this is a grapple check then
[roll1]
[roll2]

If this would be just an opposed strength check then
[roll]1d20+

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:16 AM
This might not be needed, but if this is an opposed strength check then here is the roll. [roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:24 AM
You manage to pull him to the ground, but he rolls away from you and hops up faster than you expected.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:29 AM
Taking the space granted to him Aukan jumps to his feet.

Possible second action.
If allowed to then Aukan rushes the priest and attempts to punch him. [roll0]
[roll1]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:36 AM
That would be 2 move and a standard action... You could ready an action to do something should he come within your reach.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:39 AM
I thought I wouldn't be able to do that but i just wanted to check. So in that case I ready an attack for if he moves within range of me and wait to see what happens next.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:40 AM
He sees your muscles tense up, ready for him, and he just grins before charging headlong into you.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:44 AM
Smiling to himself Aukan lowers himself before lashing out at his stomach as hard as he can.

Now to make those rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1] I thought large creatures when they used an unarmed strike did 1d6 + strength bonus, but after checking the srd it turns out it is only a 1d4.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:50 AM
Don't you need to make an attack roll to attack?

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:53 AM
Thats what I get for not double checking my post.
[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:06 PM
You hit him hard, but he still manages to slam into you. Opposed Str check to avoid being Bull Rushed backward. DC 22.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:10 PM
As Aukan makes contact with his chest he lets out a low grunt as he attempts to brace himself.
[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:32 PM
He manages to shove you back 5 feet before you are able to dig in and resist him.

Ulm11
2012-10-25, 02:38 PM
Upon finally stopping Aukan launches himself at the priest and tries to tackle him to the ground.

melee touch roll[roll0]
grapple roll [roll1]
[roll2]

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:29 PM
You force him down, locking him in a grapple.

Twisting around, he rolls on top and attempts to pin you down.

Grapple [25]

Ulm11
2012-10-26, 03:46 PM
Determined not to be pinned Aukan slams up against the priest to avoid being pinned.

[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:18 PM
You manage to resist the pin. Your turn.

Ulm11
2012-10-26, 06:47 PM
Aukan wraps his arms around the priest and tries to pin him.

[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-29, 12:26 AM
Your arms slip, and you fail to pin him.

He quickly moves to take advantage of your fumble, trying once more to pin you down.

Grapple [23]

Ulm11
2012-10-30, 03:11 PM
"Damn."curses softly as he fails to hold onto the priest before once again trying to fight him off.

To resist the pin. [roll0]
I am not quite sure how to do this to your liking but here goes my rolls and descriptions for my next round of combat. If Aukan is not pinned then his pin attempt roll is [roll1]. The description would be Aukan tries again to pin the allusive half-orc. If Aukan fails to resist the pin then assuming I am doing this right my attempt to break out the pin is [roll2]. The description for attempt to escape the pin would be Aukan grits his teeth and tries to break free.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 05:19 PM
You resist the pin and, finally manage to pin the priest. He fails to break free.

You have won the combat to the cheers of the crowd.

Ulm11
2012-10-30, 06:37 PM
Aukan smiled as he slowly stood up.

"That was the most fun I had in ages. I thought you almost had me when you tried to throw me out of the arena."

Upon finally reaching his feet Aukan leaned down and offered the priest his hand to pull him to his feet.

"So, unless anybody else want to fight me I could really go for a beer right now."

Rizban
2012-10-30, 06:47 PM
The priest claps you on the back as you help him up.

"Ha! A fine combat and a finer suggestion! Beer it is! I know a great place."

Ulm11
2012-10-30, 07:31 PM
"I am glad to hear that. I only just got into town this morning so I have no idea where the good bars or beer halls are."

Taking a moment Aukan walks back to his Axe and strapped it to his back. With that done with he walked back over to the priest.

"Before we get a drink I would like to learn the name of my fellow combatant. I am Aukan Gamaklo, previously of the Kathaal tribe."

Rizban
2012-10-30, 07:41 PM
"The name's Bill, just Bill. Not William, just Bill. No last name."

Ulm11
2012-10-30, 08:10 PM
"It is good to meet you Bill. So where exactly are you thinking of when it comes to getting some beer?"

Rizban
2012-10-31, 02:47 AM
"There's a place in Old Town called the Green Stag. Total hole in the wall for the district, but they have a family recipe for ale that will make you see angels."

Ulm11
2012-10-31, 03:32 PM
"I don't think I have ever had the chance to drink Ale. So that sounds like a perfect place to go."

Rizban
2012-11-01, 12:11 AM
He leads you to the Green Stag.

Inside, the first thing you see is the giant head of a green stag mounted on the wall. The color is obviously not natural on deer, but it doesn't appear to have been artificially painted or dyed. The main room features a bar that stretches the length of the room and a number of tables. It could comfortably fit around 40 people when full, but there are only five patrons here at the moment. The bartender is a dwarf, and two half-elf waitresses seem to be trying to look busy.

When you enter, the dwarf calls out, "Hey, Bill! Good to see you again. Who's your friend?"

"Name's Aukan. Good fighter. Give us two of your house. Each."

Ulm11
2012-11-02, 06:18 PM
Not really paying that much attention to what is going on in the bar Aukan just stared at the green deer for several seconds. He had expect to see odd sights in the town, but something about the deer just threw him off guard until he finally resumed following Bill. He was slightly surprised to see how empty the bar was but right now all Aukan wanted was a drink so this was perfect for him.

Upon hearing the bartender call over to the pair of them Aukan quickly said. "It's good too meet you sir." After which he quickly turned to Bill saying, "So is there anywhere in particular we should sit?"

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:56 AM
"Nope, just grab a table."

After sitting down, the barkeep sends a waitress over to your table carrying four mugs. They're your typical dark ale, but the head on them is a variety of colors, each new bubble rising to the surface a new, unique color. Bill laughs at you when you stop to stare at the colors.

"Don't worry, mate, it's just illusory to add a bit of vibrancy." He take a deep swig from the closest tankard.

Ulm11
2012-11-05, 02:49 PM
Sitting down next to Ben Aukan smiles at the waitress who brought at the beer, before staring at the multicoloured froth. "If you say so." Aukan chuckles slightly at Bill's reassurance. "Guess I will just have to take your word then, and worse comes to worse I am sure my body will be able to handle whatever is making that colours." With a slight shrug he reaches for the nearest mug and begins to down the ale.

Rizban
2012-11-08, 12:01 AM
The strength of the hops is almost overpowering at first sip; however, it quickly fades into the background as flavors of mint, licorice, and sassafras play over your tongue in turns. It seems as if the flavors change with each sip, always new, always fresh, always delicious.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 06:36 AM
Are you still playing?

Ulm11
2012-11-12, 02:31 PM
Sorry, I have just been busy this week

As Aukan finally finishes his first sip he puts the mug down and stares at it. "How can that even be possible? I have never tasted anything that could change flavours like that." Taking another look at the mug he shrugs."But still, I wonder what it will taste like once I finish it." With that last thought Aukan opens his mouth wide and begins to chug the concoction.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 02:50 PM
Not a problem. I usually lose a few players, but I don't like to. So, I try to bump a time or two before I drop the thread.The flavors and colors change as you drink. It finishes out with the flavor of heavy cream, lightly sweetened.

Bill has already started on his second glass.

Ulm11
2012-11-12, 02:52 PM
With a smile Aukan moves on to the second mug, eager to see just what tastes the brew will have this time.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:19 PM
Maple syrup, cashews, vermouth, chocolate, cranberry, black coffee, lemongrass, gin, and ending with a distinctly strong slap of orc sweat.

Ulm11
2012-11-13, 07:28 PM
Aukan's face was constantly shifting as he experiences each new taste but ending with one of disgust as he finished with the taste of orc sweat. Slamming the mug on the table he began to laugh before lifting the mug up again. "In all my travels I have never had joy of tasting something with such diverse flavours. Thank you for bringing me to this place and right now I would like to buy you another drink in thanks for this glories find."

Rizban
2012-11-13, 10:46 PM
"Ha! I'm always up for another pint!

So, tell me, what are you doing here in town? I figure you're new around here, or you'd have come by the temple before today."

Ulm11
2012-11-14, 12:41 AM
"Your right I am new around hear, in fact I had just got into town this morning. I came here seeking a new start after my tribe exiled me. I am still not sure why they did it, they always seemed especially interested in my development, always giving me these weird plants, but one day after a skirmish with some giants they chucked my possessions at my feet and told me to leave or die yelling out something about a lack of control. So I came down from the mountains and done my best to forget about all that. "

Aukan picked up two of the mugs and brought them back up to the bar and tried to hail over the barkeep.

Assuming he comes over
"Two more bees please." he said as he pulled out his coin pouch with a sigh.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 02:36 AM
The waitress brings your order.

"Well, huh. You're welcome to train with us if you want. Temple's got no place to live, so you'll have to find a place."

Ulm11
2012-11-14, 09:39 PM
Aukan grabs the mugs and walks back to his seat.

"Thank you and I may well just take up on that offer for training. Right now though as you mentioned I need to find a place to sleep, but also I need to find someway that I can actually make some cash to support myself. By any chance do you know of any jobs that need some brute strength?Anyway, here is your beer." Aukan slides over the beer to Bill.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 10:19 PM
"Oh, yeah, there's always someone looking to hire some muscle for hauling things over in Guildsman or out at the Docks, and the harzard pay at the Docks is great right now, if you can handle it.

If you're looking for something more combat oriented, there's certainly a couple people looking for bodyguards. There's always the Fighting Ring out in the slums, even if it is technically illegal. Lots of stuff to do if you just look a bit."

Ulm11
2012-11-14, 10:35 PM
"I like the sound of that fighting ring. I might have to hit that place up tomorrow and see what the competition is, but now drink." He smiles as he raises up his mug and takes another sip from the mystery ale.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 01:32 AM
You drink the beer and encounter no foul flavors this time.

Ulm11
2012-11-15, 01:50 AM
Aukan smiles as he puts down the mug.

"Thank you for the information Bill, but it is now time for me to find a place to rest my head, so how much do I owe them for the drinks?"

Assuming nothing special happens Aukan puts the money on the table and walks out into the city.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 02:21 AM
"Hey, don't worry about it. You're new in town, so I've got it this time. Next time, you're buying."

He grins as you leave then orders another round for himself.

Ulm11
2012-11-15, 06:28 PM
Out in the fresh air once more Aukan wanders around looking to see if there is a place to sleep anywhere, and if there is no luck here he heads back to the to town square.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 10:18 PM
You see only one inn as you wander through Old Town. It seems quite fancy and is probably pretty pricey... Still, it's the only one you've seen other than the Sad Flint back in the Plaza.

Ulm11
2012-11-15, 10:26 PM
Aukan takes one look to see how much money he has before shaking his head and walking back to the Sad Flint.

I should just post back in the city streets thread right?

Rizban
2012-11-16, 02:33 AM
The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Ulm11
2012-11-16, 10:11 PM
Aukan slowly made his way through the crowd until he was at the bar.

"So how would a room for the night cost?"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:17 PM
The bartender looks you up and down for a moment.

"Five gold."

Ulm11
2012-11-17, 02:42 PM
Aukan reaches into his stuff and pulls out five coins and places them on the counter.

"Can I please go to my room now?"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:05 PM
He picks up the coins and sets down a large, flat crystal disk that he retrieved from under the bar.

"Put your hand on this."

Ulm11
2012-11-17, 09:53 PM
Aukan takes a moment to stare at the disk before looking back up.

"First of all what is that? Second of all why should I touch it?"

Rizban
2012-11-18, 04:37 PM
"it's a crystal. If you don't, you can't get into your room."

Ulm11
2012-11-18, 05:15 PM
"Okay then. I'll do it." Aukan reaches out and touches the crystal.

Rizban
2012-11-18, 07:58 PM
It glows briefly.

"You are in room 203."

He puts the disk back below the counter and turns to serve other customers.

Ulm11
2012-11-19, 09:14 PM
"Thank you." Aukan says as he walks to his room. Upon entering it he undresses as quickly as possible before falling asleep with his axe by his side, the one constant in his life due to his exile.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 11:25 PM
The door has a similar crystal set into it as the one you touched at the counter. There is no obvious lock or handle. Touching the crystal causes the door to unlock and open. When you close it behind you, it locks automatically. There is a handle on the inside.

The door opens onto a 10 x 15 room. There is a bed, a chest of drawers, and a large wooden chest that doubles as a nightstand. There's a rug on the floor and a single small window that lets in light.

http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AVB/SadFlint/SingleBedroom.png

You sleep soundly and without interruption.

Ulm11
2012-11-20, 12:29 PM
Aukan groans slightly as he slowly wakes up. With nothing else to focus on he quickly gets dressed and heads back down to the bar, making sure to close the door on the way out. He walks down to the bar and hails the barman again

"Would it be possible to pay for my room for the next several weeks in advance? Also could you tell me how I could get to the slums?"

Rizban
2012-11-20, 04:24 PM
"Yeah, five a night. Two week max, including last night. You have 13 more days you can stay. Sorry, city laws and all.

I'm a barkeep, not a signpost."

Ulm11
2012-11-21, 01:36 AM
"That seems like an odd rule but whatever." With that Aukan places 35 gold pieces on the counter and heads out into the streets, trying to find the location of the slums so he can eye out the competition in the fighting ring.

Rizban
2012-11-21, 04:21 AM
He shrugs, "If you aren't a citizen and don't have residency papers, you can only stay for two weeks. It's a good law. It keeps the number of vagrants down."

You stand in one of the nicest parts of town. There is nothing that even hints of a slum within sight.