PDA

View Full Version : Dear God, why are they coming back!?!

INoKnowNames
2012-10-20, 02:55 PM
I can understand a lot of things are/should be/might be/are in the process of being remade. And I'm fine with that; there's a lot of cool stuff that was done right that can be done again and might still be worth it.

BUT WHY IN GOD'S GOOD NAME ARE -THESE- THINGS BACK!?!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8ocoywlTH1r671rmo1_500.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lycr4m9cAK1qawm4u.png

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/27791252.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mblilzJpeX1r560nh.jpg

Emperor Ing
2012-10-20, 02:56 PM
December 21, 2012.
Just in time for Christmas. :smalleek:

INoKnowNames
2012-10-20, 02:59 PM
December 21, 2012.
Just in time for Christmas. :smalleek:

.... wait, when does the end of the world start again?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-20, 03:03 PM

Either when humanity trashes it so bad that a chain reaction starts that makes the planet unlivable for life as we know it, or in a couple million years when the sun starts to get low on fuel.

Dec 21 2012 maps to the end of the mayan calender's current long cycle, but the mayans never meant that the world would end at that time. They even predicted other things at times AFTER that date.

Mewtarthio
2012-10-20, 03:06 PM
Dec 21 2012 maps to the end of the mayan calender's current long cycle, but the mayans never meant that the world would end at that time. They even predicted other things at times AFTER that date.

Unfortunately, all their predictions after that date are just "Furby... Fuuuurbyyy.... FFFFFUUUUUURRRRBBBBYYYY!!!!" followed by the gruesome, inexplicable death of the prophet in question.

Anarion
2012-10-20, 03:09 PM

That...does seem oddly coincidental, doesn't it? And here I thought the apocalypse would come with a little more dignity. Was that so much to ask?

Either when humanity trashes it so bad that a chain reaction starts that makes the planet unlivable for life as we know it, or in a couple million years when the sun starts to get low on fuel.

You're a little off there. I think you meant billion, and more like 5-6 billion I believe. We've got time yet.

INoKnowNames
2012-10-20, 03:09 PM

..... so, the world is predicted to end December 21st.... and that's when -they- make their full return?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/077/Raisins_Face.jpg

Anarion
2012-10-20, 03:11 PM
..... so, the world is predicted to end December 21st.... and that's when -they- make their full return?

*image*

Aaah, spoiler that thing. My poor, poor screen.

Edit: Thank you.

Avilan the Grey
2012-10-20, 03:13 PM
Didn't Simpsons already do this. Like 200 years ago?

Seriously though... Why is everything being rebooted and re-released? Is the current 40+ age people so DESPERATE for childhood nostalgia that they will buy ANYTHING for their kids (or "for their kids") that reminds them of the 80ies or early 90ies???

Pokonic
2012-10-20, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately, all their predictions after that date are just "Furby... Fuuuurbyyy.... FFFFFUUUUUURRRRBBBBYYYY!!!!" followed by the gruesome, inexplicable death of the prophet in question.

You forgot that said prophet always has the word Vucub-Caquix written with a paste made of liquified orphans somewhere on his body.

INoKnowNames
2012-10-20, 05:03 PM
Didn't Simpsons already do this. Like 200 years ago?

Seriously though... Why is everything being rebooted and re-released? Is the current 40+ age people so DESPERATE for childhood nostalgia that they will buy ANYTHING for their kids (or "for their kids") that reminds them of the 80ies or early 90ies???

It depends on how it's done, but some things could be made a lot better wth more modern tech or with some time passed and different writers/crew:

Scooby Doo, Mystery Incorperated? Hated it.

The Looney Tunes Show? Hated it.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars? Not bad, actually.

The Thundercat's Rebot? Epic.

The Avengers? ****ing Epic.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Not bad, actually.

Transformers? Entertaining, at least.

Newest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Haven't seen it yet, though I intend to give it a fair try.

Batman, the Brave and the Bold? Hilarious.

You get the idea.

Your mileage might vary, but it is a good goldmine of entertainment if done right. History is full of things coming out and into focus, and people taking from their past to make good in the present. Nothing wrong with that, mostly.

But, all of these things, at some point in their lives, were -GOOD- things.

Is anyone here even remotely going to try to defend the abominations that very well might be the force if not the cause of the end of the world!?!

Soras Teva Gee
2012-10-20, 05:18 PM
Coming back... dude I saw these in the pink aisle the other day.

They came back thirty-five minutes ago.

INoKnowNames
2012-10-20, 07:31 PM
Coming back... dude I saw these in the pink aisle the other day.

They came back thirty-five minutes ago.

OHMYGODTHEY'REALREADYMOBILIZINGI'MNOTPREPAREDFORTH IS!

What -exactly- will happen on the dreaded day if they've already -begun- moving now!?!

The_Snark
2012-10-20, 07:40 PM

OHMYGODTHEY'REALREADYMOBILIZINGI'MNOTPREPAREDFORTH IS!

What -exactly- will happen on the dreaded day if they've already -begun- moving now!?!

The bones of the ancient Mayas will rise from their graves and shamble to the nearest convenience store to purchase a new set of calendars. If you are in Central America, you have a chance of witnessing this historic event and should consider carrying a camera! Otherwise you can pretty much just ignore it.

Malak'ai
2012-10-20, 07:44 PM
While I think Furby's had their time and should not come back, I still think they were pretty fun (for a short time at least).
I know when my mother brought one I hid it in the lounge one weekend when my parents were away and I had some friends staying over.

When my parents got back it was sitting on the coffee table, mum instantly 'woke' it up and asked if it "had missed her". The look on her face when the cute, furry little thing she was holding told her to F$#k Off was hillerious!

You could 'teach' those things to say anything!

Dr.Epic
2012-10-20, 07:59 PM
Yeah, they should bring back Funzo. He's got lots of firepower.

Gamerlord
2012-10-20, 08:40 PM
On the bright side, at least they don't have Wi-Fi connections to each other yet.
Also, didn't one guy manage to kill a bunch of these by making them listen to one of their kind over a radio? I think we know their weakness.

An Enemy Spy
2012-10-20, 09:32 PM

Actually, because the Mayans didn't take leap year into account, the end of the Long Count has already happened. That's right, we're already dead and now the Furrbies are coming to drag our souls into the nightmare realm where they have dwelt since the dawn of time.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-10-20, 09:45 PM
Actually, because the Mayans didn't take leap year into account, the end of the Long Count has already happened. That's right, we're already dead and now the Furrbies are coming to drag our souls into the nightmare realm where they have dwelt since the dawn of time.

Dude the Mayans didn't need no leap year. They are looking at our pitiful incompetent correction needing calendars from beyond the time vortex... and laughing. Were like a lightbulb joke to them.

Zevox
2012-10-20, 10:23 PM
...I still have one of those sitting in the corner of one of my dresser shelves, actually. I had completely forgotten this. I don't think it's been touched since the year 2000, when I moved into this room.

Zevox

INoKnowNames
2012-10-20, 10:35 PM
The bones of the ancient Mayas will rise from their graves and shamble to the nearest convenience store to purchase a new set of calendars. If you are in Central America, you have a chance of witnessing this historic event and should consider carrying a camera! Otherwise you can pretty much just ignore it.

See, before this realisation, I'd be right there with you. But knowing what I know n ow, that's just a risk I'm not willing to take anymore.

While I think Furby's had their time and should not come back, I still think they were pretty fun (for a short time at least).
I know when my mother brought one I hid it in the lounge one weekend when my parents were away and I had some friends staying over.

When my parents got back it was sitting on the coffee table, mum instantly 'woke' it up and asked if it "had missed her". The look on her face when the cute, furry little thing she was holding told her to F$#k Off was hillerious!

You could 'teach' those things to say anything!

My time with Furby's pretty much been like this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb5bwijtIO1qg8em4o1_1280.png

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/1/2/129069430952952161.jpg

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Furbys_993ac9_3301625.jpg

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/7/9/da9a961a-a7ae-485a-a8d7-05a8c0e9e031.jpg

So I can't say I share your sentiments.

Yeah, they should bring back Funzo. He's got lots of firepower.

.... Gary Coleman could have saved us....

On the bright side, at least they don't have Wi-Fi connections to each other yet.

This just means that they aren't hindered when the internet goes down....

:smalleek: Oh god. :smalleek:

Also, didn't one guy manage to kill a bunch of these by making them listen to one of their kind over a radio? I think we know their weakness.

And they potentially know ours! :smalleek:

We're doomed! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHHQRodF88)

Dude the Mayans didn't need no leap year. They are looking at our pitiful incompetent correction needing calendars from beyond the time vortex... and laughing. Were like a lightbulb joke to them.

At least they're safe by virtue of being dead...

...I still have one of those sitting in the corner of one of my dresser shelves, actually. I had completely forgotten this. I don't think it's been touched since the year 2000, when I moved into this room.

Zevox

... if it's still alive, you need to light it on fire. Immediately.

otakuryoga
2012-10-21, 10:51 AM
....they have been back for a couple weeks already

Zevox
2012-10-21, 12:05 PM
... if it's still alive, you need to light it on fire. Immediately.
Oh, the batteries are long since dead. Hell, I don't think I ever replaced them after the first time they ran out when I was a kid.

Zevox

Avilan the Grey
2012-10-21, 12:21 PM
Stuff

First of all I don't consider Avengers to be a reboot, a remake or a "brought back".

My criticism is the same as I have for modern fashion: There is very little new, everything is rehash, and they reintroduces things that are the exact right age to hit the nostalgia filter.

Ravens_cry
2012-10-21, 07:13 PM
"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

People have been complaining about that as long as people have been complaining.

Callos_DeTerran
2012-10-21, 09:53 PM
...I have one of these things. My aunt gave me her daughter's back on the fourth of July after it'd been sitting, unused or touched, in her attic since...2000? 1999?

...It still turned on and talked. No, she hasn't changed the batteries in it once since then.

Avilan the Grey
2012-10-21, 10:32 PM
...I have one of these things. My aunt gave me her daughter's back on the fourth of July after it'd been sitting, unused or touched, in her attic since...2000? 1999?

...It still turned on and talked. No, she hasn't changed the batteries in it once since then.

OMG! This means... they are not being brought back... they have been zombified!

Killer Angel
2012-10-22, 04:52 AM
OMG! This means... they are not being brought back... they have been zombified!

I hope at least they're of the shambler's type...

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-10-22, 06:05 AM
"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

People have been complaining about that as long as people have been complaining.

Well it's one thing to steal an old idea, pop some new bells and whistles on it and wow the world with it. To steal an old idea, spit and shine it and hope nobody recalls seeing it before is a different thing.

A part of me believes that this whole affair is because someone found a warehouse full of old, dusty, unsold Furbys (Furbies?) and is trying to make a mint off them, and that all the Furbies being sold now are in fact all 15 years old. The knowledge of how to contruct them has been lost to time, and no more shall ever be made.

Kitten Champion
2012-10-22, 07:09 AM
I've never heard of Furbies before. They're stuffed animals that look like those little fluffy creatures that inevitably turn into Gremlins in the movies? The eyes are indeed disquieting, but honestly, why should I care?

As to the trend of rebooting everything, if it gets to the point that Gilligan's Island returns, I'm just going to give up on life. Fly to Nepal, become an ascetic monk in some Buddhist monastery at a very high altitude, and wait for death.

Gamerlord
2012-10-22, 07:10 AM
I've never heard of Furbies before. They're stuffed animals that look like those little fluffy creatures that inevitably turn into Gremlins in the movies? The eyes are indeed disquieting, but honestly, why should I care?

As to the trend of rebooting everything, if it gets to the point that Gilligan's Island returns, I'm just going to give up on life. Fly to Nepal, become an ascetic monk in some Buddhist monastery at a very high altitude, and wait for death.
Start packing your bags. (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1689772/) :smalltongue:

Kitten Champion
2012-10-22, 07:13 AM
Start packing your bags. (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1689772/) :smalltongue:

Monopoly and Stretch Armstrong are getting movies?

What fresh hell is this?

Ravens_cry
2012-10-22, 07:18 AM
Well it's one thing to steal an old idea, pop some new bells and whistles on it and wow the world with it. To steal an old idea, spit and shine it and hope nobody recalls seeing it before is a different thing.

Or maybe they thought that since people enjoyed them before, they would enjoy them again?

Antonok
2012-10-22, 08:18 AM
Or maybe they thought that since people enjoyed them before, they would enjoy them again?

I don't think anyone enjoyed them the first time, just used them to scare infants and make old religious women throw water and quote scripture...

Ravens_cry
2012-10-22, 08:24 AM
I don't think anyone enjoyed them the first time, just used them to scare infants and make old religious women throw water and quote scripture...
Well, they were apparently able to sell them, and that(to whoever is bringing them back) is enough.

Sipex
2012-10-22, 08:26 AM

While the eyes are off putting that's not the reason most of us are freaking out.

See, in their first incarnation, the Furbies were known to do some weird things, especially as time went on and they began to wear down. Often it would start off with the thing going off in the middle of the night, or several of them (if you had more than one) starting to talk to each other (this was a feature of the toy).

You'd get up, probably startled by the voices talking non-sense in your room until you realize it's just the Furbies with their eerie gaze. You make sure to turn them off.

An hour later they might start up again, maybe only a few words get out. You turned them off though! Why are they still on? You take the batteries out and think that's the end of things.

For some of us, that was it, enough to creep you out but you still got a good night's sleep. Others weren't so lucky, because sometimes, removing the batteries didn't work.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-10-22, 08:35 AM
Was my aunt the only one who fed the Furby with her finger?

"Num-num-num-num-num-num."

That's right. I never realized it then, but those things are freaking PEOPLE-EATERS.

Avilan the Grey
2012-10-22, 11:48 AM

Um... you DID know about "Lost", right? :smallbiggrin:

Siosilvar
2012-10-22, 02:59 PM
Didn't we have this thread already? I distinctly remember getting a flamethrower just in case...

Pokonic
2012-10-22, 03:32 PM

What fresh hell is this?

Dis, presumably.

Didn't we have this thread already? I distinctly remember getting a flamethrower just in case...

We did, but it was about a month ago.

Aidan305
2012-10-22, 05:20 PM
They were a trend, what, 14 years ago?
They were advertised as these cute little balls of fluff that look a bit like Gizmo from Gremlins (and I believe there may have actually been a limited edition Gizmo one made). They would chat with each other and you in their rambling tongue, and they would go to sleep at night.

But sometimes they would wake up, and you would hear these strange, unearthly noises coming from them in the middle of the night, and you would look towards them and in the dim moonlight see the monstrous thing chanting it's blasphemous syllables while gazing at you with wide, staring eyes, EVEN THOUGH YOU HAD TURNED IT OFF!!!!!

They, kinda, developed a reputation as being ever so slightly creepy. And now their eyes glow.

What fresh hell is this?

Apparently Ridley Scott was, at one point, the one tapped to do the monopoly movie.

There's also Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

Aidan305
2012-10-22, 05:29 PM
Double Post

oblivion6
2012-10-22, 08:39 PM
i'm gonna sleep with a shotgun under my pillow from now on, and never leave home without a .45...since they're already mobilizing its only a matter of time before they are ready to make their war upon the race of man...

Kitten Champion
2012-10-22, 10:41 PM
They were a trend, what, 14 years ago?
They were advertised as these cute little balls of fluff that look a bit like Gizmo from Gremlins (and I believe there may have actually been a limited edition Gizmo one made). They would chat with each other and you in their rambling tongue, and they would go to sleep at night.

But sometimes they would wake up, and you would hear these strange, unearthly noises coming from them in the middle of the night, and you would look towards them and in the dim moonlight see the monstrous thing chanting it's blasphemous syllables while gazing at you with wide, staring eyes, EVEN THOUGH YOU HAD TURNED IT OFF!!!!!

They, kinda, developed a reputation as being ever so slightly creepy. And now their eyes glow.

Sounds like a mediocre urban legend.

They could make a horror movie for them like they did with iPhone's Siri. That I would certainly pirate off the internet.

Apparently Ridley Scott was, at one point, the one tapped to do the monopoly movie.

There's also Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

Until I see the trailers, they don't exist!

Killer Angel
2012-10-23, 02:41 AM
Until I see the trailers, they don't exist!

But we're talking about leather-jacketed vigilantes with a penchant for chomping off criminals' heads! :smalltongue:

Hawriel
2012-10-30, 05:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YZVUHf8JLzs

Mando Knight
2012-10-31, 06:34 PM
While the eyes are off putting that's not the reason most of us are freaking out.

See, in their first incarnation, the Furbies were known to do some weird things, especially as time went on and they began to wear down. Often it would start off with the thing going off in the middle of the night, or several of them (if you had more than one) starting to talk to each other (this was a feature of the toy).

You'd get up, probably startled by the voices talking non-sense in your room until you realize it's just the Furbies with their eerie gaze. You make sure to turn them off.

An hour later they might start up again, maybe only a few words get out. You turned them off though! Why are they still on? You take the batteries out and think that's the end of things.

For some of us, that was it, enough to creep you out but you still got a good night's sleep. Others weren't so lucky, because sometimes, removing the batteries didn't work.

Sounds like a mediocre urban legend.For anyone who has ever actually encountered one, the creepypasta type stuff sounds totally legit.

TechnOkami
2012-10-31, 06:37 PM
My God... it's full of fur...

Bulldog Psion
2012-11-03, 05:48 PM
This thread has me so helpless with laughter that my wife is looking at me like I've gone crazy.

Thank you for the refreshing laughter, guys! :smallbiggrin:

SmartAlec
2012-11-04, 07:10 AM
I remember my sister's Furby. She received it on Christmas morning, many years ago.

It was defective. I remember vividly the horrific thing spewing synthesised malfunctioning gibberish at the top of its screechy little voice as it sat in my terrified sister's hands.

I will swear to my dying day that amongst the unintelligible gabber, I made out the words I KILL, I KILL ALL.

I told them to destroy it, but no, they took it back to the store for a replacement. That thing's still out there... somewhere.

Kris Strife
2012-11-04, 12:15 PM
I remember my sister's Furby. She received it on Christmas morning, many years ago.

It was defective. I remember vividly the horrific thing spewing synthesised malfunctioning gibberish at the top of its screechy little voice as it sat in my terrified sister's hands.

I will swear to my dying day that amongst the unintelligible gabber, I made out the words I KILL, I KILL ALL.

I told them to destroy it, but no, they took it back to the store for a replacement. That thing's still out there... somewhere.

I don't think that was a malfunction.

Traab
2012-11-04, 01:51 PM
I don't think that was a malfunction.

Just Chucky fallen on hard times.