PDA

View Full Version : The Silver Hellstar (IC)



THEChanger
2012-10-21, 01:22 AM
"My Lord, you are making a mistake. These six-"

"These six are our best chance of finding him, Sir Ridderick, and that is my decision! I am your lord and you will obey me!"


The six of you have been called from the surrounding area by the special request of Lord Gallow. His lordship has summoned you to his residence in Greengrass, for reasons he has not yet disclosed. After being ushered into the parlor by his manservant, a man in full plate stormed out of Lord Gallow's study, obviously rather upset. He glared at each of you in turn, and without a word, exited the manor. The warrior was followed by a man each of you knew, though most of you had not met him in person. Lord Gallow was a fairly average man, though his dress was the height of fashion in Crossroads, as befits a nobleman, and the Lord was noticably growing around the waist. On this particular occasion, Gallow's face was rather pale, and his eyes baggy, betraying something weighing heavily on his mind. He grinned mirthlessly upon noting your arrival.

"Good. You're all finally here. Please, come in. We have much to discuss. Please excuse Sir Ridderick. He isn't pleased with the idea of involving civilians in official business. I can't say that I am either, but considering the circumstances, we have little choice."

Lord Gallow lead you into his study, a relatively small room lined with books on three walls. In the middle, a large oaken desk sat, surrounded by six chairs. A small orb floated over the desk, bathing the room in magical light. Lord Gallow sat behind the desk, and motioned for you to sit as well.

"Before we begin, I need to make sure you all understand that this is a matter of utmost importance. It is a very sensative situation, and it would not do for what I am about to tell you to reach the ear of the general populace. I count on your discretion and your silence. Do I have your confidences?"

only1doug
2012-10-21, 02:24 AM
Stivan

"Of course your Lordship, you can count on me."

Lady Moreta
2012-10-21, 02:50 AM
Jaienne looked around at the others, resolutely ignoring the fact that it felt very strange to be somewhere without Gyr at her side. Instead, she gave Lord Gallow an obeisance that fell somewhere between a bow and a curtsey and inclined her head.

"Of course my lord," she said. "You can count on my discretion."

Cymru am byth
2012-10-21, 04:11 AM
Walking into the study Karland notices the sizeable book collection, nods at Lord Gallow, and sits down at the desk.

"Off course Lord Gallow, wouldn't dare say a word of this to anyone outside this room. Unless I'd be tortured by a someone seeking any particular information about this, can't make any promises then.." Realising to late that this remark is a bit inappropriate Karland ammends, "Civilians have been involved in official matters throughout history, usually with great results." at this point Karland will mention some obscure piece of history involving civilians in an important role...

spot check to see if Lord Gallow has any interesting books in his sizeable collection

[roll0]

♠Spade♠
2012-10-21, 05:08 AM
Talib nodded gravely. "I give you my word that I will speak of this matter with none outside of this room.

whoiam
2012-10-21, 06:32 AM
Alauniira'a laughed quietly at Lord Gallow's question. To a Drow, even a poor one, keeping secrets came pretty naturally. "As if I'd have any inclination to give someone else knowledge. Your secret is safe."

I'd swear, but I don't think they would appreciate who I would swear *on*...

only1doug
2012-10-21, 07:05 AM
Stivan

Stivan thinks to himself, no one mention that there is a drow in the room...

All non-drow within 30' of Stivan gain +1 to spot, listen and initiative checks.

THEChanger
2012-10-21, 11:30 AM
Lord Gallow sighed, obviously slightly relieved. "Very well. Each of you are doubtless familiar with Sir Gemry, my captain, in one way or another. A few months ago, he began to act strangely. I fear my captain may have descended into madness. He left my service, disappearing in the night, and has since taken control of a large bandit group which has begun to raid my roads. I would send the rest of my knights after him, but the braggarts hide in Dovetail Forest, outside my reach." Lord Gallow stood, and began to pace behind his desk. "What's more, he seems to have fallen in with Lord Wheatland. A few days ago, the farm of one Elijah Merryweather was burnt to the ground. His wife and children were found inside the barn, dead. Elijah's body was nowhere to be seen, but my men did find jugs of oil marked with Wheatland's seal. My cousin has always coveted this land, and I think he is determined to scare off my men and I. Sadly, Dovetail Forest is outside my jurisdiction, and if I send my knights in, it would be tantamount to a declaration of war."

whoiam
2012-10-21, 11:56 AM
"I still owe you - and your knights - for saving me from... well, I suppose they're my neighbours now.

How depressing.

Anyway, I owe you, so I'll go. Did you want him brought back in chains, or do you just want him taken out?"

♠Spade♠
2012-10-21, 12:07 PM
"I see. And as we are non-state actors and ostensibly independent, any actions we take will not reflect upon you. By the same token, should things go sour, you would disavow all knowledge of-or involvement in-these activities, something you could not claim if you were to use your own men."

only1doug
2012-10-21, 12:10 PM
So Sir Gremry has turned bandit and you cannot send your knights as the forest isn't your territory. Civilians hunting bandits for bounty are deniable enough and we can let you know if we find anything proving Lord Wheatlands complicity. O.K. I am in, a bandit gang should be easy enough for me to track, unless they are skilled woodsmen.

Cymru am byth
2012-10-21, 05:03 PM
Hmm, remarkable drow species, she hasn't made one remark yet about the superiority of her race, or her half of the race yet.. And none of us has been robbed, stabbed or heart broken yet...

Karland pulls out a small notebook as Lord Gallow is talking and starts scribbling in it, muttering under his breath in dwarfish.

When everyone stops talking; "So, yeah, we're bounty hunters... How about the bounty? Are you compensating us for our costs? Maybe a bit of extra compensation for another expedition?" He smiles, rather poorly; "I could be called quite patriotic, but I do have someone to care for...."

BelGareth
2012-10-21, 07:30 PM
It had taken Clover no time at all to arrive at the lords manor, he was accustomed to entering houses and estates much nicer than his usual, and so the grandeur of it failed to impress on him. Or at least he hoped so, with his deep purple hood up over his head, he walked along with the rest, hanging out in the back, just in case Sir Gemry would appear.

He sat and listened to Lord Gallow speak, he had always thought it amusing that is name was so similar to the Gallows that hung so many bandits.

Listening he just kept quiet, letting the others talk, if what he heard was true, they would be his companions, and it would be good to learn from them when he can. Rather than when they are actively chasing him down after he says the wrong thing...

When the Lord asked them to hunt down the now Rogue Sir Gemry, Clover smiled, to those who could see it, it was a vicious and almost terrifying smile, his face half turning into a fearsome shadowy skull, but only for a second before flickering back to his normal face.

"Mein Herr, ich wŁrde gerne jagen geehrte Gemry fŁr Sie, er hat mein Leben .... schwierig fŁr mich, da ich angekommen bin."

Knowing that they may not speak his mother tongue, Ghoranten, he added: "I Vill Helpp, it is the least I kan do."


I am only using Google translate, so if you speak German and this is offensive to the eyes/ears, I am sorry.

THEChanger
2012-10-21, 08:47 PM
"Ideally, Gemry would be brought back here alive, so that a confession can be extracted from him. If we can prove Lord Wheatland's involvement in this to the Stonelords, then he may be disposed, and our two Provinces might be united as they were in times past. If he cannot be persuaded...my citizens must be kept safe. Do what you must.

If Lord Wheatland discovers your presence, it would be in your best interests to disavow any connection to me. We are not on good terms. If somehow you are taken into custody, I would do what I can to free you. Unfortunately, that would not be much.

As to payment...yes. You will recieve compensation for your troubles. Is the sum of 500 Gold Sovreigns each acceptable?"

Cymru am byth
2012-10-22, 12:21 AM
Karland shrugs, "Heh, wouldn't know why Lord Wheatland would take 6 civilians into custody..."

He makes a few more notes in his notebook, and then extends a hand to Alauniira'a "We haven't been introduced yet, my name is Karland. Don't often get to meet people of your persuasion on the surface..."

The German is quite acceptable, the grammar is a bit of. Don't fret,I am not a Jerry, just have been living close to the German border for the last 8 years...

only1doug
2012-10-22, 12:44 AM
Stivan

500 sovereigns? Thats acceptable for me your lordship, I'll bring Gremly back, if it is possible to do so.

Do you have any reliable information about the number of bandits in the gang?

whoiam
2012-10-22, 11:17 AM
"Depending on whether the 'bandit' force are actual bandits or simply unshaven guardsmen in dirty tunics, I'd guess 'For the slave markets' or 'so they can interrogate us to see if anyone else has penetrated their cover'. Since you asked."

Alauniira'a shrugs faintly. Even the surface elves kept slaves, and the Drow were far worse about it than their 'good' relatives. Although, as Alauniira'a would happily point out, the goodness of her good relatives was, itself, only relative.

"Alauniira'a."

Switching into undercommon, she adds the following comment as she takes Karland's hand, "I wish I could say that I was pleased to have met you, but experience suggests I will regret it in short order if I do..."

Alauniira'a knows a goood few languages - Common, Elven, Undercommon, Draconic, Gnome, Goblin, and the Drow Sign Language. I suppose I could pick 6 RL languages and go through google translate for them, but I suspect you'd appreciate me just using English.

When we've been together a little longer, Alauniira'a will probably either teach the rest of you undercommon or the Drow Sign Language or switch to speaking her mind in Common. But you're all still strangers for now, hence the hiding of the snark.

Cymru am byth
2012-10-22, 11:44 AM
Karland promptly answers in undercommon "Well, I can certainly say I am pleased to have met you."

Karland then continues in common again "But let's keep things simple and fair for the rest of the folk, wouldn't want them to think we had secrets..." He raises a conspiratorial eyebrow at Alauniira'a and then addresses the rest of the people in the room; "Well, I don't feel like becoming a slave, but count me in anyway, I will need to get some supplies before we go, and say father goodbye. But by all means let's go catch us some bandits..."

whoiam
2012-10-22, 06:23 PM
Drow Sign Language: "Spoilsport."

Common: "Why not? *I* have secrets, and the fact I have secrets isn't one of them. I bet everyone else in the room has at least one of their own...

Agreed, I don't especially fancy the likely outcomes of being captured. Then again, I have no real intention of being captured. So that ought to work out nicely..."

♠Spade♠
2012-10-22, 07:33 PM
Talib nodded as his earlier assertion was proven correct. "The amount is acceptable to me, as well. I am in."

BelGareth
2012-10-22, 07:54 PM
Clover watches from behind as the Dwarf and the Drow bicker in and out of his language.

How rude he thought, they knew, and were most likely doing it on purpose that the others could not understand them...so they had things ti hide, good, they were real people, not perfect paragons of their kind. He hated perfect paragons....Sir Gemry for instance...but not anymore, how intriguing, he would have to ask the man on how his allegiance had changed so quickly...

Hearing everyone chime in their acceptance of the payment, he nodded his assent to the terms, "Zee payment iz good. You have my Bow and Zteed, I know dis area a little, it vill not be hard to find, although, it iz guarded by Geister und Feen, if ze rumars are true." He looks to the two arguing in the other language, they seemed knowledgeable enough, or at least seemed to be.

Looking back to the Lord "Mein Herr, Ven do ve leave?"


Ghosts and Faeries

THEChanger
2012-10-22, 09:06 PM
Stivan

500 sovereigns? Thats acceptable for me your lordship, I'll bring Gremly back, if it is possible to do so.

Do you have any reliable information about the number of bandits in the gang?

"Nothing reliable. Reports range from ten to fourty men. They wear masks to obscure their faces, simple green cloth, so we couldn't identify them if we saw them."


Clover watches from behind as the Dwarf and the Drow bicker in and out of his language.

How rude he thought, they knew, and were most likely doing it on purpose that the others could not understand them...so they had things ti hide, good, they were real people, not perfect paragons of their kind. He hated perfect paragons....Sir Gemry for instance...but not anymore, how intriguing, he would have to ask the man on how his allegiance had changed so quickly...

Hearing everyone chime in their acceptance of the payment, he nodded his assent to the terms, "Zee payment iz good. You have my Bow and Zteed, I know dis area a little, it vill not be hard to find, although, it iz guarded by Geister und Feen, if ze rumars are true." He looks to the two arguing in the other language, they seemed knowledgeable enough, or at least seemed to be.

Looking back to the Lord "Mein Herr, Ven do ve leave?"


Ghosts and Faeries


Lord Gallow turned towards the strange man, and his eyes glimmered with something akin to hope. "As soon as you can."

only1doug
2012-10-23, 02:27 AM
Stivan

"I am ready to set off now, we can discuss our various strengths and group tactics when we are on the road."

♠Spade♠
2012-10-23, 07:54 AM
"I don't know about anybody else, but I'm certainly not ready." Talib said, frowning. "If I'm going to be traipsing about the wilderness, I'll have to pick up some supplies."

Cymru am byth
2012-10-23, 08:21 AM
Yup, me too.. So, where do we get together? I say in about 1 hour time? Right outside this manor? Or shall we say the edge of town?

BelGareth
2012-10-23, 11:17 AM
"I think ze edge of town would ze better. Less time wasted." he looks to the others "I am ready now, but vill wait for you on the edge of town."

With that he leaves, not waiting for permission or the social que to do so.

only1doug
2012-10-23, 12:53 PM
Stivan

"With your leave my Lord?"

Stivan bows, then follows the man with the odd accent.

Cymru am byth
2012-10-23, 01:21 PM
Karland bows to the Lord, "Well Lord, we shall see you once we get back from Dovetail Forrest".

With this he turns to the drow, mimics the sign language she did earlier, and ads in undercommon "And I will see you in an hour mylady".

After this Karland leaves the mansion, goes home to pick up his travelling bag, and goes to buy rations..

Can we just assume normal PHB prices for rations, or do you want us to rp it out?

♠Spade♠
2012-10-23, 02:07 PM
Sighing at the impetuousness of certain individuals, Talib gave a low bow. "Ma'a salama, Lord Gallow." Taking his leave, Talib knew he had to do three things. One was to grab his equipment, while the second was to purchase some supplies. Finally, He felt he should bind a vestige. While Talib hoped he could come to trust his new companions, not knowing their religions added to the presence of a dwarf meant that he would play his cards close to the vest for now.

only1doug
2012-10-25, 09:59 AM
Stivan

Arriving at the edge of town Stivan sits next to the hooded man Renton 'Clover'

"Hello, I'm Stivan."

"The Glory of Dragons empowers my abilities, I can make you faster and more observent, better at social interactions, speed the healing of wounds or cause enemies to take damage for striking you."

"might I enquire your name and abilities?"

Cymru am byth
2012-10-25, 12:26 PM
Karland walks home, picks up his travelling pack, and says 'father' goodbye. He then goes to the local inn to buy rations, and make sure someone looks after 'father' when he is gone.

Karland then presides to the edge of town, joining the rest of the party already gathered. "Okay, I'm good to go." He will then offer a hand to anyone, "Introduction earlier were a bit haphazard, so here goes Karland of the Library, wizard, and font of knowledge, at your service."


Description of Karland;
Karland is a dwarf, but he grew up among humans. This means he dresses and acts more or less like human. He wears simple but practical robes with many pockets in which he hides a grand variety of small items.

His flaming red hair is long enough to reach down to the back of his knees. His face is clean shaven, in a attempt to look human.

He does not pull the human look off though, due to his very short size and massive weight. He is about the shortest and fattest dwarf you've seen in a long time.

On his back is a equally massive backpack, you wonder which is bigger and heavier, the backpack or the dwarf. Hung from loops on both sides of the backpack hang heavy crossbows.

♠Spade♠
2012-10-25, 12:36 PM
Talib made his way to the market and purchased a week's worth of food before going to retrieve his things. He loaded up his pack and shimmied into his chain shirt, then glanced appraisingly around the room. AS tempting as it was to do the binding here, in secret, Talib felt it best to wait. It would be best, he thought, to do it in front of my new companions. I probably won't be able to keep sneaking off to do this, and I should find out in the beginning how they'll handle it. Besides, if it goes too bad, I can just leave since I'm already packed. So he grabbed his spear and headed out to meet the others, walking up to them at the edge of town.

Arriving as the dwarf introduced himself, he responded "Well met, Karland. I am Talib Al-Qadir, but you may call my Talib. I practice a somewhat more obscure form of magic that I will demonstrate once all have assembled."

BelGareth
2012-10-25, 12:38 PM
Clover was sitting on a stone wall, chewing on a bit of barely he had found as the Stivan arrived and declared to him his abilities.

Strange, he finds a reason to start talking to me, hmm, I may as well be polite and respond. It might smooth things.

"Stivan! Vell met. Ja, My name is Clover, it is nice to meet you, I come from the town Ghoranton, it's a long vay from here." he stops for a moment to chew his barely and stares off into the woods before them, "My abilities? Vell, I am not one to brag," he leans in as if to hide a secret "But I am very good with a bow." he says with a big grin, he pats the quiver on his back with his hand "and a horse, vould it scare you to know I can konjure up a nightmarish beast that lets me ride it?"

He stands up suddenly, "I kid, I am only a normal person...Vell, Mr Stivan, I am glad to have met you, vee powers you describe are mighty indeed, I am glad you are on our side."

He looks to the Dwarf with his proffered hand and nods to him while accepting the greeting.

Now that is strange.

"Vell met good dwarf, I am Clover." He nods also, to the newcomer with the spear, hoping the man had heard his name so he would not have to repeat it a third time.

Cymru am byth
2012-10-25, 01:05 PM
An obscure form of magic? Interesting, I wonder whether I know anything about it

Curiosity piqued by the mentioning of obscure magic Karland turns his attention to Talib.

"So what is this magic you are talking about? Does it stem from the divine? Or did you spend years studying and mastering it? Is it an innate ability? A combination of any of the three?"

He shrugs, "Well, anyway, it's always nice to meet a fellow caster..."

whoiam
2012-10-25, 06:45 PM
Undercommon: "There you all are!" Alauniira'a, for all that she could see in the dark, wasn't especially good at finding people, places or things. Still, at least she could see them clearly when she found them...

Common: "We seem to be well endowed in casters, if at least two of you use magic... because I do as well. My name is Alauniira'a, and I am a guild mage for the Maegisters' Guild. Those of my fellow initiates who considered five syllables too long for comfort took to calling me Luna or Luni, depending on how badly they wanted me to insert a mage's staff into their soft tissues. You may use Luna if you wish - it is a poor joke, but at least it is a quick one.

It was only us five who accepted, was it not? I think we are all now present. Is there anything else we much do before we go?"


As to why Alauniira'a dislikes 'Luni'... she pronounces it 'Looney'. And she knows what it's slang for.

only1doug
2012-10-26, 03:45 AM
Stivan

Standing up again from where he had been sitting waiting for all of his allies to arrive Stivan looks at the others, "I have no other tasks, we have all had time to do anything needed, let us be on our way."
Matching words with action Stivan starts walking up the road toward Dovetail forest.

"I suggest we stop and rest for the night before reaching the forest, so that we can have an early start and start looking for the tracks of the bandit gang. If you prefer we can press on and sleep within the forest, Attempting to find or follow their trail at night would probably be futile."

♠Spade♠
2012-10-26, 04:59 AM
"Stopping short for the night sounds good to me. I must confess that I have no great affection for forests." Speaking to Karland, Talib tried a roundabout explanation. "It is none of the three, and yet it is all three at the same time. It does require a little knowledge, but almost nothing in the way of study. Literally anybody can do it if they've a mind to, but like most things involving magic, it isn't without its own pitfalls. With this discipline, I may do things that would be classified as either divine or arcane, as well as use what would normally be considered innate abilities. While I will never touch the precipice of power reached by either a cleric or a wizard such as yourself, I am significantly less...limited." Glancing at the dwarf, he asks "Am I making any sense? Whether I am or not, I'll demonstrate in the morning."

Cymru am byth
2012-10-26, 06:39 AM
"Yeah, better get going, I'm not the fastest on my feet, I'm warning you..." Karland sets of in the direction of Dovetail forrest. Then, answering Talib, "Hmm, I get were you are going.. It's just... Let me try to figure out what it is you do, before you tell us tonight"

Okay, this is a puzzle. Let's see what my books have to say about this..

While walking, Karland will fish out a book from his backpack, and starts reading.. Counting on the fact that usually someone warns you before you walk into a tree...

Going to try a knowledge arcana check, using the masterwork books of knowledge arcana, to figure out what it is Talib does.. [roll0]

BelGareth
2012-10-26, 09:59 AM
Clover shakes his head and grins at the rest of the party, this would be an interesting sorte, but he was warming up to them already.

He stretched his arms out wide, made sure his bow and quiver were in place and moved out, going wide of the main party to flank them and provide overwatch.

"I shall go vide, vatch the flank, you never know, what with ve banditen in these parts." he says with a grin as if to say, 'please let there be a bandit so he can shoot it with his finely crafted bow'

only1doug
2012-10-26, 10:23 AM
Stivan

"If you stay within 30 feet of me you will notice that your senses are sharper and your reactions quicker."

Draconic senses Aura active, all party members are currently counted as allies. +1 bonus to spot, listen and initiative checks.

"Well anyway, we've got a lot of walking to do, so we may as well chat a bit on the way."

"As I was telling Clover while you were all shopping, I'm Stivan, and I can allow anyone within 30 feet of me receive any one of several benefits, I can make you faster and more observent, better at social interactions, speed the healing of wounds or cause enemies to take damage for striking you."

THEChanger
2012-10-27, 12:44 AM
The group began to travel down the road towards the Dovetail Forest. The road was quiet, as most people are unwilling to travel it while the bandits are active. The sun high overhead beamed down, a bright light to guide the travelers. All in all, it was a good day.

It was Clover who first spotted the cart. Drawn by a large horse, it trundled towards the group. It was covered by a large tarp, secured tightly over whatever happened to lie underneath-presumably some good or other to be sold in Greengrass. The driver was a shorter man, dressed in clean but plain clothing, sporting a floppy hat and chewing on a piece of straw. From the man's belt hung several flasks, tied with ropes.

The man pulled the reins, drawing his horse to a stop. He smiled at the group, though his eyes widened slightly seeing the drow. "Weel now, fellow travelers! Not often you see folks along the road anymore. Pleased ta meet ya! Name's Elijah. May I enquire as ta where you folks is headin? Dangerous on the road these days. Hear rumors of bandits almost everywhere ya stop."

Cymru am byth
2012-10-27, 03:53 PM
Right, so I guess he's one of those binders.. Very interesting. He's probably very nervous around me, with my dwarfish exterior. Would explain the roundabout explanation about his magic he gave me. Let's make him sweat a little, I'll tell him tonight what my personal thoughts are on his magic, and Orcs.

Karland will move to Alauniira'a's side in the arching order and say in a hushed/secretive tone, in undercommon; "I'm guessing Talib's magic is some kind of Binder magic. Very much frowned upon by people of my race, I guess that's why he is a bit nervous around me. It's Orc magic... I don't mind though, it's magic! But I'll have him sweat a bit, and wait untill we stop tonight to tell him that..."

whoiam
2012-10-27, 04:11 PM
Common: "How very Drow of you." Alauniira'a had been watching the cart when Karland came alongside her - his comment was enough to draw her attention briefly away from the stranger, but once she'd retorted she switched back to the cart.

"Sorry, Mr Elijah. My dwarven companion's manners slip sometimes - it's best to remind him promptly when it happens.

Anyway, I suspect you would be better off if we passed by quickly - getting friendly with a Drow will perform miracles on your reputation... assuming it was good to begin with. I would, however, ask if you saw any evidence of bandits during your own journey? If the road was clear for you, we should have a decent chance of completing the reverse journey..."

Alauniira'a was not an intimidating presence, per se, but she was far from a friendly one. So over the years she'd found people responded better to her when she just went right ahead and told them what to do to get rid of her...

Once she was done, she briefly looked back at Karland.
Undercommon: "Seriously, well done. The only thing my sisters would have done differently is they would have flirted with him first."
From her tone of voice, it was difficult to tell if that comment was sarcastic or a genuine compliment.

only1doug
2012-10-27, 04:14 PM
Stivan

"Well met Elijah, I am Stivan. Bandits you say? Well I had heard rumours but I'm not about to let the scare me off, you'd be the same I guess, travelling the roads because you won't let a rumour scare you away from your business?"

THEChanger
2012-10-27, 08:32 PM
The man chuckled at Alauniira'a's comments regarding dwarven manners. "Aw, no need ta appologize for 'im. Little ol' me is used to it by now. Not many folk pay attention to the Merryweathers til they need something from us. And we try not ta judge people based on the color o' their skin. We Merryweathers might belong ta the Soil King Guild, but we don't think like em." At the mention of bandits, Elijah's face darkened. "Ayup. I done seen em. There's a inn, not too far in Dovetail Forest. I stops there most times after coming back from Emarston. But lately a lot of unsavvory folk been hanging round the place. So I just kept on riding. Somehow, the ruffians never saw me. Awful lucky, that was."

Y'all ought ta roll Spot and Sense Motive checks 'bout now.

only1doug
2012-10-28, 02:43 AM
Stivan

Spot [roll0]
Sense motive [roll1]
Don't forget +1 spot, listen and initiative to every ally within 30'

Cymru am byth
2012-10-28, 10:13 AM
Karland smiles at the Drow's remark to the cart driver 'yup, that's the dwarf in me. Rude and drunk most of the time. Now where's my axe?'

He pats his sides as if searching for an axe.

spot [roll0]
Sense motive [roll1]

whoiam
2012-10-28, 11:57 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

BelGareth
2012-10-28, 06:03 PM
Clover eyes the wagon with the man on it and alerts the group, staying on the side of the trail, on a small copse of grass, he squats down and finds a nice piece of long straw to chew on while they talk.

He squints at the man and seems to recall a story where he heard the bandits would have one man on a wagon making travelers focus on them as the rest surrounded them.

He slowly swiveled around and scanned the tree line, squinting at the shadows and trees that lined it as he heard the dwarf comment about missing his axe.

Strange, I hadn't seen an axe on him...


[roll0]
[roll1]
These rolls include the draconic aura.

♠Spade♠
2012-10-28, 08:11 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

THEChanger
2012-10-29, 11:59 PM
Elijah chuckled, and slapped his knee at the dwarf's joke. "Weel I'll be! A dwarf what has a sense o humor. That'll be a first for me, so it will." Elijah looked around, apparently seeing if the group was truly alone. Hopping down from the cart, grabbing the scythe which he had stored on the back of the seat to lean upon, he came closer to the group. "Y'know, you folks look like yer the adventuring type. Why, if'n I didn't know better, I'd say you lot were off ta catch yerselves some bandits. I'd be staying away if I were you. Them boys down there, they've got right trained up good. Some bloke with a fancy horse done come in recent. He taught em real nice. They work like a proper little army now."


Karland and Alauniira'a
Though the man carrries a scythe, his load does not look like anything you would cut with such an implement. In fact, it looks like nothing so much as a rather large number of barrels.

Talib and Stivan
Something isn't quite right about this gentleman. Looking closer, his eyes seem clouded, as though he were intoxicated. Or...or perhaps...
Roll Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana.

Cymru am byth
2012-10-30, 01:04 AM
"Adventurers us? Not so much, just traders with valuable goods on our way to trade. Speaking of which, what is it you're transporting? Anything marketable? Would you like to make some early profit?

At this Karland sets down his enormous backpack on the side of the road, and pats it, as if he has tradeables in there.

"O, and don't worry about our guards,", he gestures vaguely to the other members of the party, "my business partner and I hired them for protection." he vaguely gestures to Alauniira'a

only1doug
2012-10-30, 03:26 AM
@THEChanger
Talib and Stivan
Something isn't quite right about this gentleman. Looking closer, his eyes seem clouded, as though he were intoxicated. Or...or perhaps...
Roll Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana.

both are trained only and I have no ranks in either, Heal perhaps? (also untrained, all my int based skills are at the same numbers)
[roll0]

♠Spade♠
2012-10-30, 03:53 AM
Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

THEChanger
2012-10-30, 10:19 PM
Elijah laughed, a little more nervously this time. "With respect, friend, I doubt you'd be interested in anything I got to sell.
Mostly feed and whatnot."

Talib
The clouded eyes, exceptionally affable behaviour, and unwillingness to be specific about his cargo point to his being affected by compulsion magic, most likely a spell of the Charm line.

♠Spade♠
2012-10-31, 04:56 AM
Talib frowned, his eyes narrowing. Knowing several of his companions knew magic of one sort or another, he turned to them and said in Draconic, "Something is not right with this man. He is under the influence of something, maybe some kind of spell."

only1doug
2012-10-31, 05:39 AM
With a laugh Stivan replies (also in Draconic), "I noticed that his eyes were odd, like he was drunk or something, I didn't realise what it meant."

Cymru am byth
2012-10-31, 07:07 AM
Karland replies in Draconic;"hmm, charm spells, not my area of expertise... On the contrary... I could try to discern his thought, but if he's charmed I bet that would be of no use..."

He then walks up to the cart and addresses Elijah in common "Food stuffs you say? What, with a scythe and barrels, I can only think of barley, or you know liquid barley.. And I'm always in the mood to buy alcohol..."

And at that he taps one of the barrels inquisitively.

THEChanger
2012-10-31, 11:15 PM
"NO!" Elijah reached out to try and stop Karland from taping the barrels in his cart. "Er...that is...I...I really can't in good conscious sell anything early. Got customers already lined up in town, y'know?"

Cymru am byth
2012-11-01, 09:14 AM
Karland proceeds to tap a barrel on the cart, and then replies; "Ah don't be a bugger, I'm a trader of fine goods too.. Just one barrel, I'll pay well, very well... Just let me check if it is any good!"

He turns his back on Elijah, "Don't worry, this spell won't hurt your wares, just tell me what the qualities are. I do want to offer you a fair price off course"

At that Karland will cast detect magic, first do a quick scan of the cart, and if that reveals nothing concentrate on Elijah himself to confirm the suspicions of charm magic..

BelGareth
2012-11-01, 09:49 AM
Clover having not seen anything looked on for a moment and then decided it was ok to abandon the flank, this man was seemingly not a threat at the current moment in time.

And really, he could get to the flank in a heartbeat...

His form flittered in between his and a dark shadowy skeletal form, but only for an instance, those watching him would miss it if they blinked and blink it away if they saw it.

Coming closer to the man talking to Karland, who apparently had a knack for talking, he didn't see anything wrong with him but heard Karland speak in another language.

What was that, Elvish? No too brisque and strong, Dwarfish, definitely not...hmm, it did sound a little like Draconic...

His interest was peeked when the man suddenly objected to have his wares touched, his eyebrow raised Clover paid the man more attention. Something was not right about him.

But what?

Scanning the man, he suddenly realized what they were talking about, his eyes were a little shady, like the man was on drugs....or even worse....shrugging to the unknown Clover decided to join the verbal fray.

What could go wrong?

Having heard Karlands bluff earlier about his 'guards' he followed suit, hoping to cement the image of the dwarf being the master. Striding in with the confidence of a bear in his lair he grabbed the attention of the man away from Karland:
"Good Man! Don't worry" he puts his arm around the mans shoulder "My master here, is a fine purveyor of goods, mundane or magical, he will be able to get you a good price." he stops and whispers into the mans ear "But I wouldn't make him angry, he has a mighty temper when he is angry. Have you ever seen an Archmage when they are angry?" he stops whispering and looks to Karland "Do not worry Master, he is going to help us!"


[roll0]


He smiled a genuine smile as his tongue dripped with honey, he knew the magic of his curse was coming into play, and he only hoped the man believed him so his 'other' side would not come out.

THEChanger
2012-11-02, 12:19 AM
As Clover placed his hand on Elijah's shoulder, he could feel Elijah's entire body stiffen. The man's head turned, ever so slightly, and he whispered something to Clover in a soft, matter of fact tone. Then, his scythe whipped around towards Clover's stomach.


Unfortunately, Elijah gets the drop on Clover.
To Hit-[roll0]
Damage-[roll1]
Roll Initiative

Clover
"This world will be cleansed by fire."

Cymru am byth
2012-11-02, 01:31 AM
Okay, does Karland get a chance to cast the spell? Does the cart have any magic auras in it? And what about Elijah?

init:[roll0]

only1doug
2012-11-02, 03:07 AM
Stivan

"try to take him alive!"

Initiative [roll0]

Free action: change aura to Energy Shield (2 points of lightning damage to anyone who uses non-reach melee attacks against allies within 30')

Move action: close to within 10' of Elijah.

Standard action: disarm attempt with spiked chain against Elijah's Scythe


I don't do disarm much so I'll Rules the srd text:

Posted by Disarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#disarm)
As a melee attack, you may attempt to disarm your opponent. If you do so with a weapon, you knock the opponentís weapon out of his hands and to the ground. If you attempt the disarm while unarmed, you end up with the weapon in your hand.

If youíre attempting to disarm a melee weapon, follow the steps outlined here. If the item you are attempting to disarm isnít a melee weapon the defender may still oppose you with an attack roll, but takes a penalty and canít attempt to disarm you in return if your attempt fails.

Step 1
Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to disarm. (If you have the Improved Disarm feat, you donít incur an attack of opportunity for making a disarm attempt.) If the defenderís attack of opportunity deals any damage, your disarm attempt fails.

Step 2
Opposed Rolls. You and the defender make opposed attack rolls with your respective weapons. The wielder of a two-handed weapon on a disarm attempt gets a +4 bonus on this roll, and the wielder of a light weapon takes a -4 penalty. (An unarmed strike is considered a light weapon, so you always take a penalty when trying to disarm an opponent by using an unarmed strike.) If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the targeted item isnít a melee weapon, the defender takes a -4 penalty on the roll.

Step 3
Consequences. If you beat the defender, the defender is disarmed. If you attempted the disarm action unarmed, you now have the weapon. If you were armed, the defenderís weapon is on the ground in the defenderís square.

If you fail on the disarm attempt, the defender may immediately react and attempt to disarm you with the same sort of opposed melee attack roll. His attempt does not provoke an attack of opportunity from you. If he fails his disarm attempt, you do not subsequently get a free disarm attempt against him.

Posted by Spiked Chain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#chainSpiked)When using a spiked chain, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).

Step 1: Attack of opportunity: N/A unless Elijah has reach somehow as Stivan is out of his normal range.

Step 2: Opposed rolls: the wielder of a 2 handed weapon gets +4 (both of us) a spiked chain gets a further +2,
Opposed attack rolls Stivan at normal attack +6, Elijah at normal attack +4

[roll1]

Step 3 consequences: If Stivan wins then Elijah is disarmed, if Elijah wins then he can attempt to disarm Stivan.

Stivan's counter roll, if required
[roll2]

BelGareth
2012-11-02, 09:54 AM
Clover listens to the man whisper in his ear and never sees the scythe being drawn down upon him.

When would he learn to see the intent in people? He was always getting sideswipped.

Damn. That hurt.

Blood welled at his chest in a long line that followed the scythe as it moved in the mans back swing. Time seemed to freeze as he realized what just hit him, and he also realizes, until it is too late, what is happening to him.

Oh no! He thought.

Too late.

His visage instantly changed, like a 'pop', and before the scythe wielding, charmed supposedly-food-peddler stood not Clover but an image from his nightmares, his face had turned into a maniacal skull with black flowing flames that seemed to draw in shadows to itself.

Taking a step back he pointed at the man "YOU HAVE MADE A BIG MISTAKE!" and then several tapes of black shadow came forth from his outstretched hand, snaking their way towards the target until they finally, and delicately touch his shoulder, exploding in a cloud of shadow.


[roll0]
Clover takes the damage like a champ
5ft step back, casts Shadow Spray the targets square, 5ft burst so only hits him.
4 Str damage and Dazed for 1 round, Fort DC 16 negates both.

EDIT:
So yeah, just realized he is Ghost rider, except he is not the Devils bounty hunter, and no flame....crap...originality just got dumped on.

♠Spade♠
2012-11-02, 01:43 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

If I can make it in one move, I want to run around to the other side of the wagon and make an attack with my longspear. If I can only get there by double moving, the I will do so to provide a flanking bonus to Stivan.

whoiam
2012-11-06, 05:26 PM
Responding to the attack on Clover (and Stivan's shout), Alauniira'a flips a mental coin between making their assailant weaker and making their assailant smaller. Weaker wins, so she skips backwards a pace, extends one hand, and...


[roll0]
Firing off 'Ray of Enfeeblement'.
[roll1] Includes 'shooting into Melee' penalty.
[roll2]

THEChanger
2012-11-06, 09:34 PM
Elijah is apparently unpreturbed by Clover's sudden change of appearance, or the magic his enemy launched at him. Managing to keep hold of his scythe, Elijah steps forward to attack Clover again. As Alauniira'a launched her ray, hitting Elijah square in the chest and visibly draining him, the tarp lifted off of the cart, and a silver sphere, not much larger in size than a halfling, floated out of the cart. It was perfectly smooth, with no distinctive markings except for a blue sunburst on what apparently was its front. Aiming the sunburst towards Stivan, a blue pulse shot from the sunburst, and Stivan could feel mental knocking inside his mind.

Elijah makes his save, and beats Stivan's disarm roll, though not the counter roll, so Stivan keeps his chain.
Elijah makes a five-foot step towards Clover, and attacks.
To Hit-[roll0]
Damage-[roll1]
Alauniira'a's Ray hits, draining 7 points of Strength.
Stivan must make a DC 15 Will Save or be affected by Charm Person. Keep in mind the +4 you get for being in combat with an ally of the caster.

BelGareth
2012-11-07, 01:03 AM
Clover's face flittered in the sunlight as the scythe came crashing down upon him again, slicing a neat little gorge in his flesh above pectoral.

His previous demeanor looked surprise, but grinned, and then with a puff of shadowy smoke disappeared to reveal the horrified face of Clover. Back peddling like a mad man, and almost falling he manages to draw his bow and shoot at the dweomered scythe wielding man.


Free action: Move 5ft back
Free action: draw weapon
Standard action: attack (+1 to hit and damage with PBS)
See rolls in OOC

only1doug
2012-11-07, 01:08 AM
Stivan

"What in all the hells?"
Throwing off the malign mental intrusion, Stivan spins his chain into the metal sphere.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Free action: change aura: draconic vigor, all allies within 30' gain fast healing 1 if below 1/2 hitpoints.

Cymru am byth
2012-11-07, 01:24 AM
"What the..." Karland manages before backing up a bit..

Okay, let's switch to lethal magic

He then very shortly concentrates on the sphere before starting to cast a spell at it... From each hand springs forth a small bright silver sphere, and without much effort they home straight in on the enemy silver sphere...


Free action: 5 foot step back to g10
Another free action or 1st standard: Concentrating on the silver sphere to find out what we are up against, then dropping the detect magic spell(loss of concentration)
2nd standard: casting magic missile

Knowledge arcana: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]
Magic Missile 1: [roll2]
Magic Missile 2: [roll3]
SR check if applicable: [roll4]

♠Spade♠
2012-11-08, 04:31 PM
Ignoring the sphere for now, Talib ran towards Elijah and thrust out with his spear.


Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

THEChanger
2012-11-09, 12:35 PM
Talib's spear struck true, jabbing Elijah just below his shoulder, inflicting an obviously mortal wound on the farmer. Clover drew his arrow and delivered a sharp blow into his other shoulder. From many wounds, the farmer bled. And as Stivan lashed out against the silver sphere, which danced just away from the spinning chain, Elijah clawed his way back onto his cart. Madness in his eyes, he laughed, coughing up blood. "This world will be purged in fire. Starting with you." Taking two of the vials hanging from his belt, he shook them, and dropped them into the barrels on the cart.

The smell of burning oil filled the air.


whoiam, your move.

Karland
The sphere registers several faint auras. In fact, it looks like at least one of each of the schools of magic is present in that thing. This may account for why your Magic Missles hit, but appeared not to do much damage.

whoiam
2012-11-10, 02:40 PM
For the second successive round, Alauniira'a starts off by backing away. This time, instead of simply extending one hand, she makes a flicking motion as though throwing something small at the orb. This turns out to be more or less what she did, as at the end of the motion a small blob of acid flies out...


Another 5' step away from danger.
Then casting Melf's Acid Arrow on the sphere.
[roll0]
[roll1]


..And not waiting to see if it hit or not, Alauniira'a takes the opportunity to add 30' to the 10' distance she'd already put between herself and danger.

THEChanger
2012-11-11, 01:10 AM
Alauniira'a's bolt of acid swerves just to the side of the silver sphere, which shot straight up, and then away, heading towards Dovetail Forest. All the while, the smell of burning oil grew more and more intense, and just as Talib was about to react-

The cart exploded.

Fire and shrapnel shot outward in a wave, catching Clover, Stivan, Karland, and Talib in its lethal embrace. Only Alauniira'a remained outside of the deadly explosion's radius.

Clover, Stivan, Karland, and Talib take 6d6 points of Fire damage, Reflex negates.

[roll0]

Talib and Karland still each have their turns. If the sphere cannot be prevented from escaping, combat will end.

only1doug
2012-11-11, 02:49 AM
Stivan's reflex save [roll0]
Splattered with burning oil, Stivan pats out the hotspots while he watches the sphere disappear toward the forest, trying to get a bearing on the direction it goes.

Cymru am byth
2012-11-11, 10:06 AM
reflex save 1d20+ 4

After the explosion Karland looks at the destroyed cart, "now that's a power I need to learn harness..."

And then he focuses on the sphere flying away, maybe this will work

He grabs on of the crossbows hanging from his pack and starts loading it.

♠Spade♠
2012-11-11, 01:41 PM
Reflex save: [roll0]


Talib had not expected the cart to explode, and tried to avoid the worst of the blast.

Cymru am byth
2012-11-13, 12:59 AM
With the crossbow loaded Karland aims carefully while muttering, "eat this bastard".

And shoots.

[roll0]
damage:[roll1]

Cymru am byth
2012-11-13, 01:00 AM
And Karland barely misses his own foot...

BelGareth
2012-11-15, 05:18 AM
Clover falls back as he watches the man ignite himself and go up in a ball of flame.

Managing to easily avoid the blast he gets up from his roll and looks to his bow as the ball of energy zips off.

well that didn't go too well.

"What the HELL was that about? And what the FRACK was that ball of..of...whatever it was!"

only1doug
2012-11-15, 11:48 AM
Stivan

"I have no idea what it was, but I could feel it prying at my mind, trying to influence me in some way!"

THEChanger
2012-11-15, 10:45 PM
Karland loosed his bolt, which soared through the air after the sphere, impaling it. Momentarily shaken, the sphere continued to fly off down the road towards Dovetail Forest.

only1doug
2012-11-16, 03:30 AM
Stivan

Stivan uses his Shortspear to mark the bearing he has taken then assesses his allies injuries.

"Well, that was a painful introduction to the bandit gang."

"That metal sphere... I've never heard of anything like it, Have any of you?"

Waiting while his allies wounds heal, until they seem to have stopped getting better Stivan then reaches out and touches his allies.

Healing belt:
1 charge on Clover [roll0]
1 charge on Talib [roll1]

♠Spade♠
2012-11-16, 04:22 AM
Talib shook his head, "No, but I believe we can follow it." Using the butt of his spear, he inscribed a design upon the ground. Turning his back on the others, he took a deep breath and began. Closing his eyes, he clapped once loudly and began to intone "I call upon Malphas, the Turnfeather, traitor of Elves!"


Drawn circle:http://www.imarvintpa.com/Mapping/Overlays/Symbols/BlackMagic_Malphas.png

Pact: [roll0] (+5 EBL, +3 CHA, -10 rushed, DC: 15)

Cymru am byth
2012-11-16, 05:20 AM
Karland grins when his bolt hits the sphere, "got you bastard".

And then tries to answer Clover's question "It was some sort of magical contraption, I'd love to study it once it's disabled. Right now I can say it contained just about any school of magic I can imagine, it was (possibly as a result thereof) quite resistant to magic and my guess would be that it was controlling mr. Elijah's mind..."

He hangs his crossbow back on his pack, and then smiles a bright smile "The good news is, I hit it.. And I have just the right spell to find my crossbow bolt, tomorrow... O, and we need to be within about 500 feet of it, else the spell won't work"

Karland then proceeds to search the remains of the cart and Elijah while muttering to himself "O man, I've got to learn to harness this kind of destructive magic.. Without the whole barrels of oil and flammable liquids of course, way to cumbersome."

When Talib starts casting his magic Karland remarks with a smile "O yeah, just show us all your tribal magic..."

THEChanger
2012-11-16, 11:46 AM
From the center of the seal which Talib had drawn in the dirt, a rush of wind could be felt. A flock of doves shot skyward from the seal, moving impossibly fast, and then fell back to earth, their forms joining, sliding together, the collective slowly drawing itself upwards until an elven man, dressed in blackest funeral finery and wearing a cloak of raven's feathers, stood in their place. The elf's eyes were pitch black, and as he licked his lips in anticipation, the onlookers could see that his tongue was the same dark hue.

"Long has it been since you have called on us, Talib. We worried you might have forgotten us in our lonely prison. But, no. It seems you simply call us when you need our aid, and then shunt us away once our usefulness has past." The elf sighed, and then looked around at the assembled group. His eyes latched onto Alauniira'a, and he smiled. "You remind me of someone I once knew. How odd, to see a drow in human lands. It seems much has changed since I was away."

♠Spade♠
2012-11-16, 01:19 PM
"I'm somewhat pressed for time at the moment. If you want to harangue me you can do it from inside my head." When Malphas addresses Alauniira, Talib growls "Your pact is with me, vestige. If you seek to torment another, I will cast you back into the void from whence you came."

whoiam
2012-11-17, 08:52 PM
The vestige's comments drew a brief chuckle from Alauniira'a. "It's less than a lifetime since we found the 'back exit' from our underground prison. Anyone so confined that magic rituals are necessary to call them forth would likely have missed that little development.

Now, not that I don't enjoy the chance to engage in small talk, but as a group we are really in quite a hurry. Why don't you go ahead and do whatever Talib summoned you for? We have an awful lot of ground to cover. Quickly, ideally."

THEChanger
2012-11-17, 09:45 PM
"Oh, you mortals are always in such a rush! Never want to take the time to have a chat." The elf shook his head sadly, and when he turned his eyes back to Talib, there was a smoldering fire within them. Talib Al-Qadir, I accept this binding pact. I lend you the power of the Ravenfeather, in return for the eternal price." At this, the elf raised his hand, and black smoke poured from the circle, enveloping Talib and the seal. When the smoke cleared, the elf was gone-but Talib's eyes flashed black, before fading to their normal brown.

BelGareth
2012-11-18, 12:44 AM
Clover was on the verge of being irate, and blowing up at the situation, he watched as the dwarf tried, successfully to shoot the strange sphere, to no apparent affect. His anger and bewilderment was about to boil over until Stivan came over and soothed him with his very touch. He was bleeding all over the place, and had barely noticed, his breath was sharp and chest open with 2 huge gashes. But with the presence of this strange man, his wounds healed and he managed to gain control of himself.

"My thanks" he quietly whispered.

Sighing with relief, he looked on as the one called Talib summoned an elf, he had never before seen anything like this, but had heard rumors and tales.

What powers was he gaining from such a pact? He wondered if it had anything to do with his...curse...he mentally winced as he recalled what had happened. He had come out again, pushing to the front of his mind and controlling him like a marionette.

He said nothing as the elf flashed, having been done with the drow and Talib. He grabbed his bow up, inspecting the string: still good.

Not wanting to draw any attention, he slowly moved to the closest knoll and peered out the way the sphere had gone.

This was going to be interesting.

only1doug
2012-11-18, 02:05 PM
Stivan

Stivan's reply to Clover is subdued, almost absent minded, his attention is focused on Talib's activities, "You are welcome."

"So do we intend now to leave the road and take off cross country in persuit of that..."
Stivan pauses, seeming to be lost for words, "....well, i don't know what to call it, the metal sphere.... should we follow it directly now or continue along the road and find lodging for the night?"

♠Spade♠
2012-11-18, 02:56 PM
"I say we follow it now, at least for as long as we can." Talib's eyes unfocused for moment, and a raven appeared on his shoulder. Frowning, he thought you would choose a raven, wouldn't you? Closing his eyes, the bird took flight in the direction the sphere had gone. Speaking aloud again, Talib said "I can control the bird and see through its eyes. I believe it will be able to tail the sphere while we follow on foot. However, I prefer to keep my eyes closed while I do this. It's less confusing than having overlapping visions." Shouldering his spear, he half extended his other hand to Alauniira'a and in Elven, asked "Might I prevail upon you to guide me as we walk, my lady?"

whoiam
2012-11-18, 09:46 PM
Alauniira'a's response came out in very bitter common. "Of course, it makes perfect sense to ask the person with the greatest difficulty seeing in the daylight to be your guide in the middle of the day.

Wait, that can't be right. I'll try again.

'Of course, it makes perfect sense to ask the only woman in the party to be your guide in the middle of the day because the numerous 'accidental' stumbles you're going to experience during the day would not be *nearly* as much fun if it was a man you were falling on top of.'

In conclusion, " The drow trails off at this point. For those with their eyes still open, they'll notice her doing a quick series of hand gestures, but not magical ones.

(If any of the other party members with their eyes open are familiar with Drow Sign Language, I'll provide a translation)

♠Spade♠
2012-11-18, 10:13 PM
Talib seemed to be honestly hurt by Alauniira'a's accusation. In very stiff common he said "I apologize if I've given offense. Such occurrences would not happen, I assure you. I am nothing if not an honorable man, though to be fair, you would likely have been unaware of that. All the same, " he continued, anger beginning to creep into his voice, "a simple 'no' would have sufficed without impugning my character." At Malphas, he thought, well, that could have gone much better.

whoiam
2012-11-18, 10:20 PM
"...I'm sorry.

It's a nasty habit I've picked up in the human lands, if only because I've been on the receiving end of it so often myself. Assuming that any given individual bears all the negative traits ascribed to any and all groups to which that individual may belong. In my case, Drow."

In your case, men

"I still think you should pick one of the people who can see better during the day as your guide, though."

♠Spade♠
2012-11-18, 10:59 PM
In Elven, Talib said"Then for now, we shall put this behind us, agreed? Again, I do apologize, It was remiss of me to not consider our own issue with seeing." Switching to Common, he said "She is correct, of course. If someone else would care to keep me upright, we should probably start moving."

Cymru am byth
2012-11-19, 01:42 AM
After watching the summoning with great interest, and the following argument with a big grin on his face Karland steps forward at Talib's request.

"That is a rather interesting form of magic you practise young man, why don't you tell me all about it while I guide your path"

In undercommon he adds to Alauniira'a "Want me to let him stumble upon a few rocks along the way?"

Karland picks up his backpack, and looks around the group, switching back to common "Well, if everyone is ready to go again, let's head to the forrest. Talib, grab my shoulder, hands of my pack..."

BelGareth
2012-11-19, 01:59 AM
Clover sees nothing and looks back to the group, wrlyly smiling at the interaction between the strange witch and the drow. Shaking his head he thinks to himself

What a strange group we are

Upon hearing the dwarf breaking the stalemate and deciding on who will lead the binder, he jumps up, eager to go.

I shall take point, I can move much faster than any of you. and with that he utters an arcane word and darkness suddenly erupts from below him ,lifting him and slowly forming into the shape of a shadow horse, tendrils of inky shadow trailing all about it. Once fully shaped, the horse whiny's and kicks at the dirt, sending a clod of mud flying.


http://thepersianhorse.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/horsenightmare1.jpg


Reaching down from his sudden elevation change, Clover lovingly strokes the horses neck "There, there Eos, I missed you too."


Casting Phantom steed invocation, with speed of 40ft (which now i think of it, is not faster than everyone else possibly.

only1doug
2012-11-19, 06:00 AM
Stivan

Retrieving his Shortspear, Stivan starts looking about the area around the cart.

"ok, you start heading on, I'll just tidy up here a bit."

Stivan retrieves Clover's crossbow bolts and then clears up any tracks that the party have left around the cart.

Covering the Tracks:
Survival: [roll0]

only1doug
2012-11-26, 06:01 AM
Stivan

Having cleared up around the cart to remove any signs of his groups presence Stivan follows the others toward the forest, clearing the signs of their passage as much as he could.

THEChanger
2012-11-26, 05:28 PM
The raven summoned by Malphas' power soared forward, carrying Talib's senses with it. Assisted by the dwarf, Talib and the others journeyed down the road after the bird, heading towards Dovetail Forest and their eventual goal.

As they walked, the land on either side became more hilly, with trees growing with more frequency. Talib's raven kept close track of the sphere, as it continued along the road. Its destination appeared to be the same as the group-within the Dovetail Forest.

And across the plains, another warrior dashed towards our fellows, attempting to catch up with the men his employer wished him to aid.

Spot Checks, everyone. Talib, you can use the bird's Spot check.

only1doug
2012-11-26, 05:49 PM
Stivan

Spot [roll0]

"Hey, look! That cloud is shaped just like a sheep!"

♠Spade♠
2012-11-28, 02:47 AM
Spot check: [roll0]

Cymru am byth
2012-11-28, 06:34 AM
rolling spot check:
[roll0]

BelGareth
2012-11-28, 10:26 AM
Clover leads the group on his steed, letting it canter slowly tearing up the ground with its mighty hooves.


[roll0]

whoiam
2012-12-10, 06:16 PM
Spot Check: [roll0]

Sparrow
2012-12-10, 09:07 PM
Spot Check: [roll0]

THEChanger
2012-12-11, 01:33 AM
Karland:
You spot a man hiding in the hills next to you. He is armed with a bow and arrows, and by his general demeanor and clothing, it is safe to say this is not a man who wishes to conduct trade-or, perhaps more accurately, he wishes to exchange your life for some arrows in your chest.

Talib:
From your birds-eye-view, you notice a few things.
One, after putting on a sudden burst of speed, the silver sphere has disappeared, floating into a traveler's inn just inside the forest proper. Secondly, a man has set out from Greengrass, and is coming up the road after you. He is swiftly coming upon your current position. Thirdly, just a little ways up the road, there are a series of felled trees, stacked on either side of the road.

Connor:
You are moving faster than your quarry. Praise the Gods.
Shortly after the group of five left Greengrass, Lord Gallow summoned you to his manor. He expressed concern that, without a sixth member, the group might not have enough manpower to deal with Sir Gemry's forces. Though you are normally a hunter, Lord Gallow feels you would add a needed component to the band of adventurers.
Your opinion of that may have changed after you saw the giant fireball as you were exiting the gates.
With a dwarf in the group, you've been able to catch up to them. You can now make out the individual members. Three humans, one of whom is being supported by the dwarf, and a drow. A curious group. Your next actions are up to you.

♠Spade♠
2012-12-14, 03:21 AM
"It seems our friendly sphere has entered a building up ahead of us, perhaps an inn. However, I believe an ambush lies between us and it. I see logs stacked on both sides of the road, which I doubt loggers would do. I think they would provide good impromptu breastworks. Also, we are now being followed. Who or to what end, I do not know, but they are in a hurry."

Cymru am byth
2012-12-14, 11:36 AM
"And then I'd like to add there is an archer hiding in the hills next to us... Might be a proper ambush, but it is very obvious..."

only1doug
2012-12-15, 03:22 AM
Stivan

"Should we start by dealing with the threat to our rear? If we press on then it could hit us while we are engaged with the ambushers whereas if we face it first the ambushers will have to come out of their prepared positions if the want to support it."

BelGareth
2012-12-16, 04:19 AM
Clover reigns up his steed, "I say we deal with the rear and then counter ambush these fools for doing it to us."

Stopping he wheels his steed to face the rear, coming up short of the main body of the group.

"Hey! What business do you have with us!"

He yells out to the lone man running up the dirt road after them.

whoiam
2012-12-17, 07:29 AM
"Qui....."

She wasn't a good sneak, but even Alauniira'a new better than to start shouting within spotter range of an ambush site.

Sadly, Clover had started yelling long before she'd realised that Clover would consider it a good idea to start yelling.

The Drow's subsequent gesture - resting her head in her left hand - was by far the most 'human' any of the others present had seen her act. Her attempts to avoid giving others ammunition for their accusations of her being another 'Drow Temptress' had resulted in body language that was by turns either heavily repressed or just generally odd. For once, she was acting in a manner that came as naturally to her as it did to surfacers.

"...et...ly...."

That it also left her a free hand to draw her Heavy Crossbow with was just something of an unintentional bonus. If Clover's voice was going to throw her back into combat, she'd better be ready...

Sparrow
2012-12-17, 03:22 PM
Connor was trying to catch up to the group, but they were moving at a decent pace themselves. He finally found them and increased his pace. They obviously noticed him. When one yelled out to him, his suspicions were confirmed. In response, uncharacteristically clueless to what may result, he yelled back.
"I have been hired to aid you in your quest."

whoiam
2012-12-20, 11:53 PM
Quietly, in undercommon: "...Of course you were."

Alauniira'a had thought about things a moment, and come to a simple conclusion. Either this stranger was a real, albeit dimwitted, ally, or a surprisingly unsubtle attempt to plant a foe within the group.

Since she didn't know which was true, and they were about to spring an ambush anyway, the solution to both possibilities involved sticking the newcomer in the front and letting them march on ahead.

Which is why she quickly gestured for <as yet unknown> to join the group. All the quicker to stick him in the lead.

only1doug
2012-12-21, 06:04 AM
Stivan

Readying his chain in case of attack Stivan replies to the stranger, "then approach and we will discuss your employer."

When the man is close enough to speak quietly without being overheard Stivan will continue, "So stranger, who has hired you to assist us?"

Sparrow
2012-12-21, 09:12 AM
Connor finally manages to catch up with the group and takes moment to breathe, if allowed one, and then releases his answer. "I was hired by Lord Gallow. He was afraid you would not be strong enough without a sixth member of the team. Although, from what I have seen, you have been doing just fine on your own." Connor ended.

♠Spade♠
2012-12-26, 04:58 PM
"What exactly is it that you have seen?"

BelGareth
2012-12-28, 04:23 AM
Clover sighs at the same BS he has heard before, over and over again, it was amazing how a testosterone could affect some.

Waving to the newcomer "Who cares! hes here and he was sent by Lord Gallow, either he is here to kill us all or here to help, but either way, we'll die by these damnable curs trying to bushwhack us as we stand here or we can suck it up and move out, I saw we stick it to them, mayhap they be the men of Sir Gemry. Either way, I don't think there's any way around them."

Sparrow
2012-12-28, 12:22 PM
"Wait, did I miss something. You said that someone is going to try to bushwhack us?" Connor said, a bit confused from Clover's words.

THEChanger
2012-12-28, 03:29 PM
As Clover spoke, the hidden man jumped out from behind his hiding spot, aware that you've spotted him. He dashed off down the road, back towards Dovetail Forest. His bow slung back over his shoulder, he fumbled for something at his belt-a horn.

only1doug
2012-12-28, 03:41 PM
Stivan watches with shocked amazement as Clover reveals the parties secrets to the waiting enemies.

"Clover, have you ever considered taking a vow of silence?"

"Take down that scout, he has heard too much!"

Sparrow
2012-12-28, 06:25 PM
"I've got a better idea, that doesn't involve senseless murder." Connor said, retrieving his bow. He plucked an arrow from his quiver and readied a shot, a shot aimed for the scout's leg.

Using the Ranged Pin Trick Shot:

Ranged Pin
Activation Time: 1 attack action

If this attack hits, the struck foe must succeed on a Reflex save or be Immobilized (Tome of Magic) for 1d6 rounds or until it takes a full-round action to remove the offending projectile, which deals the full damage dealt by the attack again.

Shooting Composite Longbow
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm, just in case: [roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
DC for Reflex Save: 17

THEChanger
2012-12-30, 02:35 AM
Connor's arrow struck true, visibly wounding the man's leg. Somehow, the horn-bearer managed to stumble a bit further down the path, past the piles of wood, before stopping and blowing a long, low note on his horn. The sound reverberated across the hills, and anyone within a good distance would probably have heard the horn. His task apparently done, the man began to ready his bow, though the arrow sticking out of his leg was causing him visible pain.
For reference, the horn-bearer is not immobilized.

Roll initiative.

BelGareth
2012-12-31, 06:50 AM
Clover raises his eyebrow as the man hiding the bush stumbles out, only to be shot by the newly anointed intrepid party member to no affect. or at least, not the desired effect.

Looking to Stivan he smirks, "You know, I've been told that before."

Looking back he grimaces as the scout blows on his horn alerting his fellow ambushers. oh well, the others aren't going to like this at all, honestly though, I had no idea any of them would be so close....and it's not like they knew he was there....

Spurring his steed he moves towards the downed man who is trying to draw his bow, drawing his own bow and aiming it at the man.

Being nice had failed.


[roll0]
Actions
Phantom steed moves 40 ft towards the downed man
Clover Shoots an arrow at the man
[roll1] (+1 if within 30ft.)
Crit on 20 [roll2] (+1 if within 30ft.) + [roll3] (+1 if within 30ft.)
Regular [roll4] (+1 if within 30ft.)

Sparrow
2012-12-31, 11:12 AM
Connor moved up the hill, pulling a second arrow from his quiver and notching it. He reached the steeper part and continued climbing, when he was satisfied with his view of the battle, he stopped and surveyed the land.

This will be my action, when Connor comes up on the queue, although I'm pretty sure he will be very high on the list, if not first with that initiative roll

Okay, so Connor is moving to H21 for his move action(15ft total if I'm correct), then he will make a spot check to try to see anyone coming toward them.

Spot: [roll0]

only1doug
2013-01-04, 05:04 AM
Stivan moves slightly foward of Connor, blocking any potential melee attackers from charging the archer on the hill above.