PDA

View Full Version : Last War: Spyhnx Second try



Eisen_Hammer
2012-10-21, 07:24 PM
Alright lets try this again.

"I want to hire you but I am not sure. We are not doing that great in this war. So what brought you together? Do you have a nation you wish to work for specifically or does money buy your loyalty?"

The man sitting across from all of you is not wearing any insignias or colors to identify what nation he is working with.

BelGareth
2012-10-21, 07:36 PM
Starielle stirred as she lent against her giant friend, it was comforting to be so close, and this was an interesting place. She regarded the man with a certain sense of respect, he was straight and to the point, and didn't care about the morale obligations that most mortals take to be to important.

She didn't talk however, it wasn't her place, her place was on top of a mark, cutting his throat, or behind a diplomat, spiking his drink with Scorpion venom. For this she was not needed, unless things went awry.

But for this she would be quite, and let the others talk, that was her place and she did it well.

She looked to the Cleric and the others, this was their domain.

God Imperror
2012-10-22, 05:41 AM
The big man on armor looks at the gathering, first he looks at his companion cheeking them, and then to the man in front of them. Studying him for a second, before considering a response. At first he thought about the statistical response, the one he was taught at Rekkenmark, Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate. But probably it would be hard to chew on.

-Money won't buy our loyalty, a signed and agreed upon contract will do. - at least while they stick to it. - On taking sides, well, most of us had one side before joining the Sphynx, some in opposed sides so, no, we don't really care.

And the Sphinx mercenaries are expensive enough to ensure that they aren't hired to attack civilians or some other crazy plan, so whoever they end fighting has its chances of fighting back.

iTookUrNick
2012-10-22, 06:00 AM
After the mysterious disappearance of their Bard friend, a few months back, Kay had found himself in the position of having to deal with people from time to time. Of all his companions, half would rather kill two people than talk to one, and the other half just did not possess the subtlety that the art of social interaction requires. And then there was the warforged, which/who fit in a category of their own.
Even if he did not enjoy this role particularly, and it brought way more attention to himself than he was confortable with, there was no denying that Kay had a knack for it, in his own peculiar way.

"Well, I suppose Chronepsis [Fate (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Chronepsis)] brought us together, for it is Him that moves men and decide battles, and guide all of our actions every moment of every day. Wherever you decide to hire us or not, it will be by Chronepsis's own plan"

Mentioning the resonsability of Fate was a way to ease the burden of a difficult decision, although the man in front of them seemed unimpressed. Kay continued speaking, scratching his kin behind her ears like a cat to appease his nervousness.

"However, if you do decide to hire us, you we'll find that our professional ethic is unmatched among mercenary groups, and we'll take any job with a favorable risk-to-reward ratio. As our captain was saying, money itself is not our goal, but merely the recognition of the intrinsic value of our contribution.

You say your side is not doing great. Well, this might just be the chance for you to turn the tide of the conflict in your favor".

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-22, 06:48 AM
The Aerenal Elf stood at the back of the room, leaning against the wall with a scowl on her face. She didn't like this man who sat before them, without any sign of his motives or allegiance.

An honest man doesn't need to hide who he is, Lia thought to herself, her left hand staying close to the dagger on her belt.

She didn't know why this business had her on edge; it wasn't the first time the Sphinx company had dealt with shady employers, after all. She didn't normally feel this nervous.

The Elf let herself lean further back into the shadows, fading from view.

Hide in Plain Sight [roll0]

GuyFawkes
2012-10-22, 09:06 AM
Click

Among the mercenaries was a curious fellow. With a pair of big, black, compound eyes, antennae on the top of its head, mandibles and pincers for what should be the mouth, and sand-colored chitinous armor covering all over its body, it looked like a giant ant stretched and made to stand upright.

A thri-kreen. Definitely rare among these parts. But put beside the motley crew of a human, a warforged, a gnome, a giant, and elves, suddenly this fact didn't seem to matter much.

Being a mercenary helped gloss over that as well. Everyone looked at each mercenaries the same way - vile, soulless drunks who would do anything for the right price. Whatever he or she actually looked like didn't really matter.

This particular thri-kreen sat on the corner of the room, seemingly oblivious of the discussion between his (apparently it is a male) comrades and the odd-looking human. He didn't need to be there for the discussion anyway. Out of boredom, he busied himself playing with a small ant busily heaving a small parcel of food across the table, blocking and redirecting its path.

cgrela
2012-10-22, 10:31 AM
Midnight stands beside Kay, a gleaming statue of obsidian. It seems to stand even more still than an average sculpture, exuding an aura of deliberate precision and discipline.We will fight for those who have the need for our services and the money to pay for such.

PowerGamer
2012-10-22, 03:39 PM
Cerberus sits calmly at the table, hands clasped and resting in front of him. His small size is not intimidating but something about him seems... a little worrisome to the man.

Cerberus will sit and observe for now

Eisen_Hammer
2012-10-22, 10:55 PM
"I am sorry for the deception with not telling you that I am from Karrnath. I have almost died twice in talks with mercenaries."

The man seems uneasy telling you his true allegiance, and his hands start fidgeting for a few seconds before he regains his calm demeanor.


"Alright, mercs willing to hold a contract. Less likely to betray us in the end. I have two contracts here. One is infiltrating an Cyre base camp taking out at least their leader, the other involves a stalemate between our forces and Aundair."

As he is talking he pulls out two rolls of parchment and points to each in turn as he tells you what they are.

"Both are on the table but there is only time for one of the missions."

He gestures at both of the scrolls.

God Imperror
2012-10-23, 05:17 AM
Cadaver picks both scrolls and skims over them, after giving them a look he passes them to the half giant at his side. With a pale smirk on his face he looks back to the contractor.

-I was from Karrnath, probably a lifetime ago.

Then he switches his gaze, looking for Lia, she should be around.

-Lia, if we end helping Karrnathi troops on the front lines we are probably going to deal with undead, we should vote what are we taking, but if you are directly opposed to that we can try and go for the cyrean commanders.

He looks to Midnight.

-None of us are really suited to infiltration, are we? I guess we can jump on them, acting as a backup to the scouts. Opinions?

GuyFawkes
2012-10-23, 06:44 AM
Click

Upon presentation of the two contracts, the thri-kreen stopped what he was doing, and all in one swift motion, he raised one hand, produced a dagger seemingly out of thin air, and swung it down and drove it into the table.

"Whichever makes me slit more throats."

A low, vibrating voice issued from his throat. After a few seconds, his pincers moved into what would resemble his own version of a smile.

"Kidding. Please ela...el...tell more about each mission."

cgrela
2012-10-23, 09:01 AM
This one favors the former mission. It would likely produce a greater effect for the client than simply hurling us against an entrenched army.

BelGareth
2012-10-23, 10:18 AM
Starielle leans her head to the side at the mention of no one being suited for infiltration.

"I do hope that was a jest, Cadaver, or have you forgotten my grisly trade?" as she says this she fades from view, walks up to table and fingers one of the scrolls, reappearing again she continues "I would of course, prefer this one" she holds up the infiltration scroll "I haven't done a good covert op for a while."

iTookUrNick
2012-10-23, 10:24 AM
Kay accepts the scrolls from Cadaver's hands and reads them carefully, twice, before putting the back on the table in case anyone else is interested in them. He inwardly smiles as the Tri-keen stays true to his nature once again, and he keeps an ear open for any additional detail that might be revealed.

"Both options have merit and should be considered.

The Aundair situation seems more straight-forward. We are well equipped to force an enemy from a fortified position, softening their defenses for a push-through, as the Karrnathi are so eager to do. While Anduair will have a hard time fielding its light cavalry effectively, I expect their arcanists to more than make up for the difference. In the end it will be though work, but probably little in the way of surprises.

On the other hand, infiltrations can go really well or really wrong. If done right, perhaps through a clever ruse and a little luck, we might be able to strike a greater blow with a inferior expenditure of resources. It's a high risk-high reward opportunity.

In the end I trust you, commander, to make the final decision with the available data, as always".

PowerGamer
2012-10-23, 02:53 PM
Cerberus glances at some of the text on the scrolls as they get passed around. Being short has it's problems sometimes and not be able to see is annoying. He stands up and his body starts to change. A moment later he looks identical to the man across from us. I'm up for either or truthfully. Infiltration is a little on the tricky side and I do miss making explosions... Hey will you pass those here so I can actually read them.

God Imperror
2012-10-23, 04:04 PM
Most voices seem to agree on infiltration. Then let's go for that. Cadaver looks at Starielle fondly.

-I was referring to Midnight and myself, I didn't intend to offend you.

He switches his gaze to the contractor, studying the man for a second before giving his final thoughts.

-I can see a couple of quick options, that will ease our way into reaching the Cyrean command platoon. First, one I won't agree to take, offer our mercenary company to them and betraying them. I mention this, only because some people my consider it. But take note, we aren't cut throats nor back stabbers, we are not going to betray you to your enemies nor turn ourselves on you, but the same applies to others.

With a smile he adds the second thought.

-We can just go there, walk through their camp, and kill our targets. We can be a whisper of death incarnate. But there are quite a few things that we are going to need for that. Maps of the area. Names and bios of our targets, if they have vices I want to know, if they like to play conqueror I want to know, if they have a lover I want to know. Any uniform of Cyre that you may have, if need be we can make them ourselves but it would be faster and better if they are true Cyran colors.

Conqueror is a board game similar to chess popular in Karrnath (Cadaver actually has a set).

Eisen_Hammer
2012-10-24, 02:07 AM
"Infultration it is. Your target is the general Faren, he is going to be inspecting this camp shortly after we can get you there. We do have uniforms but not of the variety that you would be able to fit into."

As he talks he makes a come here motion to the right and a man walks up and puts a backpack on the table.

The main contact says "This is yours now. It has all of the maps the uniforms and half of your payment. 5000 gold. If that is an acceptable price."

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-24, 03:54 AM
Lia's voice comes from behind the recently revealed Karrnathi, strained but at least with a modicum of politeness.

"I do not think Uniforms will be necessary for most of us," She informed their Contractor, "Although they will certainly give us more options"

Leaving the shadows, the Aereni strode into view and stood by the pair of Fey, arms folded. Stealth and Infiltration were both fields she excelled at, and she grinned at the prospect.

She was a very prideful person, after all.

"Beyond what is in the backpack, is there anything else you can tell else before we take this job? As Cadaver said, we need to know everything we can about our target and his circumstances" Lia asked, staring at the Karrnathi out of the corner of her eye.

"I think I speak for everyone here when I say we would not appreciate meeting with any unanticipated surprises"

Lia appreciates Cadaver remembering, and pointing out, that we'd have to be working with Undead in the "Stalemate" situation. She's still barely comfortable with the Undead that fly the Zeppelin

She would've said something, but she's trying to be mysterious and enigmatic in front of the customer :smallbiggrin:

GuyFawkes
2012-10-24, 05:00 AM
Click

"You most certainly do not," interjected the thri-kreen in a way that tried to showcase his verbosity with the language; he still had a hard time speaking the foreign tongue, mostly because he has no tongue in the first place, and every occasion where he could, he would throw whatever little fancy words he knew.

"I like surprises. I thought everyone likes surprises?" he asked, before letting out a guttural clicking sound, something the group came to know as his laugh.

iTookUrNick
2012-10-24, 05:07 AM
"Of course we like surprises, Click. It's just that some of us like to make them much more than we like receiving them" said Kay with a smile.

To all friendlies, telepathically: "This seems a reasonable offer. At most, I would try and barter for a bonus, perhaps linked to a secondary objective like torching the camp or contaminating the water supplies. Also take into account the general might have some valuables on his person.".

God Imperror
2012-10-24, 06:04 AM
Cadaver holds the backpack with his hand considering the weight of it. After giving it a thought, nodding to something on his mind an alien thought surface reaches his lips.

-Let's be clear. You want to cut the head of the snake, disable general Faren. For killing a person ten thousand is certainly enough, and half in advance is fair. Although is he to be killed publicly? Disappear without a trace? Should his corpse remain in the scene? Do we also need to deal with his troops? That might increase the prize.

He focuses on a thought, hoping that Big K can fish it on his nets.

I am sure we can kill him with an arrow from so far away that he won't even be able to know what killed him and keep us safe and sound out of the melee.

Cadaver tone is somber, dire, tendrils of death and doom smuggle through his breath. At his back, his shadow seems to flicker and move, embracing him like a kind lover. For a moment his skin looks much paler in contrast with the darkness that starts to surround him.

-Let's say that the money is enough for a death, you can take it and go for an assassin, I am sure that some will approach the contract with glee. But you came to us, and we are professionals, we are artists of the battlefield, virtuosos of death. Let's forget for a second of the death of General Faren, he will be dead eventually, even if he doesn't know now. What message do you want to send to Cyre? That's what will set the price.

Cadaver ain't trying to intimidate anyone, although he might have been a bit scary

Eisen_Hammer
2012-10-24, 11:02 AM
"The message we want sent is that they are not safe. We don't care if they know we sent you. We don't care if they know it was you, also if they don't know it was you they might hire you later. All we want them to know is that we can get to them no matter where they are."

The man is starting to get more and more comfortable in his position. Anyone who has seen a commander knows that one day he will make a fine commander, if he lives that long.

cgrela
2012-10-24, 12:06 PM
Total destruction and chaos sounds to be the plan. We can do that. You may consider Cyre to have lost a leader, along with the entirety of his or her command.

GuyFawkes
2012-10-24, 02:30 PM
Click

The same guttural clicking issued from Click. "Then it is done. Let us do this."

iTookUrNick
2012-10-25, 06:36 AM
With a last nod of agreement, the two parties leave the room from separate exits. The members of the company find themselves back on the streets of the bustling city of Sharn, a stark change from the dark, silence filled, charged atmosphere of the meeting.

The group heads towards the skydocks, with the intention of getting ready to leave in short order. A smaller party will be sent to fetch last minutes supplies.

On the way, a man is standing with a yellow lily in one hand and a small packet in the other. Without breaking stride, Kay brushes gently against him and the package changes hands. He already knows what's inside, and he feels both relieved and a little sad.

To Starielle, thelepatically: "They found what you were looking for, at last. I assume that means you won't be around for some time. All the infos are in the package in my left pocket. I know you are not one for goodbyes, so I'll explain the situation to the others once we arrive. Good luck with your endeavor and do find your way back to us if you can. We'll miss you".

When they get to the airship, both the package and Starielle are gone.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-10-25, 08:25 AM
Looking over the documents you see that the encampment is at the end of a long ravine. It is well guarded and there is no way for your airship to get within two miles on the mountainous side. Your target will be inspecting the troops stationed at this garrison for the next week. He has a number of vices warranted of his station. He is a sucker for a good bottle of [insert random liquor of the area]. He is also a renowned tactician who loves a good game of conqueror.

He also has been known to take women soldiers into his chambers.

The camp is accessible from the mountains if you wish to risk that or you could easily approach from the open side which has more patrols and battlements.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-25, 08:26 AM
As they walked, Lia found herself deep in thought; Cadaver had been right, they were professionals. This was what they did, and they were good at it. She always took pride in a job well done, and she knew the others did too.

And their employer wanted the whole of Cyre to feel unsafe.

"So, I'm thinking we go for Spectacle" Lia suggested, as they entered the skydocks, toying with the idea in her mind; the reaction their employer wanted would require a public killing. It was wartime, and if they pulled this off in secrecy, it would never reach the public, and it would be unlikely if it even reached most of the troops. Publicizing the death of an important general is too damaging for Morale.

"It'll have to be big, impressive. We can't just slit his throat, not if we want people to feel unsafe" Lia continued, "Things need to be made... visible"

As they arrived at the Riddle, docked hours before, Lia's began to frown. Something wasn't quite right. She looked around hastily, scanning the closest members of the crowd for any signs of interest or malice.

"Wait, where's Starielle?"

cgrela
2012-10-25, 08:36 AM
This one agrees. It needs to be clear that this was done by a malicious group. No rock slides or fires sweeping through the camp. If we use poison, it needs to be one that causes unmistakeable and gruesome symptoms. This one would like to approach from the mountainous side. It will be easier to complete our primary objective. It would also be prudent to alert the Korranberg Chronicle of the events, so that Cyre will be unable to cover them up.

GuyFawkes
2012-10-25, 10:00 AM
Click

"Flags. Flags are power. We just put Karnath flag where every one can see. Kill commander, put flag, all good," commented the thri-kreen.

"Killing every soldier there and leave one to spread the news is my favorite though."

The familiar laughter echoed yet again after the remark.

iTookUrNick
2012-10-25, 10:21 AM
"Agreed on the entry point. Climbing equipment might come in handy in that situation for our flight-impaired members :smallwink:. Let's see what we have in storage before buying any.

The flag idea is effective and efficient, nice call Click. Regarding the troops, I'd still lean towards contaminating or poisoning the water supply. You have to strike a balance between the people killed and the ones retelling the story: one soldier can be silenced, a tenth of an army less so.

If we want to alert the press, I'd make it vague, along the lines of 'soon a great blow will be struck against Cyre'. We do not want to give away out target beforehand. We can tip them off to the events when the deed is done.

I'd also like to point out we run out of our regular wands during our last assignment. Whoever picks up supplies would be advised to grab a couple of those as well".

The discussion is still going on when Lia figues out Starielle is missing. Kay breaks the news of her departure to the resto of the group.

PowerGamer
2012-10-25, 02:54 PM
Cerberus thinks for a moment, "Another option is to publically hang the target for a false crime, and then after he's dead attack the attending soldiers who will not be expecting it, leaving a few alive to tell the tale" Cerberus starts to mentally plan how to best run such an operation.

God Imperror
2012-10-25, 06:19 PM
Not wanting to burst their bubble, at least yet, Cadaver leave them be. Listening to their discussion and plans, letting them escalate, going into full range assassination. Well, that is not something that he would be comfortable with, regardless, they were paid enough to kill or deal with one man, not an entire camp, and he wasn't planning on making a discount, even if the contractor was Karrnath.

-Guys, listen to yourselves, killing everyone? What are you, murderers? Hired thugs? No, we are swords, tools of war, pointed at a direction and we strike like an scalpel for what we are paid. And we are paid only ten grand, that doesn't add to blowing an entire camp, and I would rather not get Cyre on my back.

He looks at everyone of them in the eye, slowly, waiting until they start to feel the whole weight of his gaze.

-In fact we aren't hired to kill anyone. We are to send a message, we can get you, wherever you are. A kobold with some ditterbombs can blow up the place. Are we better than a kobold? Oh, of course we are. Keep this simple, go there, take our package and leave.

With a smile he points at the notes of their target, his tastes and position.

-Information is power and imagine how much will be in the general's head.

He looks at Cerberus.

-You are our master of disguise, with some help from Midnight can you try to think like a Cyrean soldier? Dress like one? Infiltrate the camp? Perhaps poison and incapacitate the troops or approach the general.

He then looks at Big K.

-At Rekkenmark we used a concoction to make soldiers drop asleep even in the course of battle, for when we wanted to be subtle. I'm sure you will be able to brew it.

He looks at Click with a grin.

-I also like flags, but I would rather not be the target of Cyre, we can of course get Karrnathi flags, and I feel that the more people to spread the tale the better.

He looks at Midnight.

-There will be warforged there, and poison won't stop them, nor most of our tries, any idea to deal with them?

Finally he looks at Lia.

-You are our best scout and infiltrator, if someone will be able to reach the general without disturbance it will be you. Are you willing to give it a chance?

PowerGamer
2012-10-25, 09:36 PM
Is a little disapointed at the fact of not killing everyone but cheers up at the compliment. "Why thank you good sir." he says comically, "I'll try my best at either task"

GuyFawkes
2012-10-25, 10:20 PM
Click

"Human worries too much. We are not Sphinx. We are Karnath."
He brought one hand to his mandible. "Okay, here is plan. Serious this time. We inform them we are coming. As Karnath of course. Then we abduct general. Expose him in a big Cyrean city with Karnath flag. Dead or alive, doesn't matter. The fact it is done will show Karnath power in bringing truth to their words."

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-26, 12:36 AM
Lia grins in response "Of course I'm willing," she replied, her eyes twinkling, "its what I'm here for, after all"

The Aereni clapped Click on the area of his carapace most analogous to a Shoulder, and shook her head "Its a good plan, but we need to be prepared for a lot more resistance if we do it"

"That's where the spectacle comes in; we need a distraction - something big - if we're going to get the General after we put him on guard."

She cocked her head, slicked back her pixie cut, and looked pensively at Cadaver "Maybe we want to talk to some Kobolds with Ditterbombs; the Cyrean Forces won't be able to ignore their camp's perimeter exploding, and we can go in during the chaos and nab the general"

God Imperror
2012-10-26, 10:46 AM
Cadaver clicks his tongue.

-It is necessary to tell them in advance? A simple plan is easier to follow and harder to screw up. If Cerberus and Midnight infiltrate in there, and Lia and Big K sneak their way around a distraction won't be needed. Click and I can wait on standby until the distraction is needed, or until a zone of silence is secured.

He tries to think a way to incorporate a way of making everyone fit and collaborate, exploiting their good ideas and their best skills.

-If everything goes alright once we have our man Cerberus can assume his form and keep everyone down in the camp while we extract some info on the general, as a general he will surely have money and it will be secured, if the camp is quiet we can have time to crack him.

cgrela
2012-10-26, 10:58 AM
This one did not mean to suggest that we alert our opponents in advance, simply that upon the successful execution of our mission, we alert the public at large, through the us of the press. As for how to stop others of my kind, there is little that can be done outside of direct combat or mind-affecting spells. We are created for war, and as such were created to be resilient to many traditional forms of large scale sabotage. If we do not wish to enter into combat, we will have to divert them. Attacking at night will be our best choice, as this one's kind do not require sleep, such as yourselves, and will thus be assigned to the farthest ranging night patrols.

God Imperror
2012-10-28, 07:11 AM
Well no matter what, no plan survived the encounter with the enemy, so trying to keep it as simple as possible was the best bet around. Kidnapping might be difficult, but the approach would be the same to a swift and silent kill, so we can switch from one plan to the other if need be.

In addition a distraction to run away, might be more helpful than a distraction to get in, so chances were that torching the camp was a good card to keep close at hand.

-Okay. I'll inform Julio to fly us near the camp, as hidden as possible, and once there we will launch a scout party to get some direct information on the perimeter.

Cadaver moves, leaving the room and approaching the pilot area, where the bony pilot rests with his hands on the wheel. The old karrnathi colors of his uniform have been replaced with the sphinx emblems, but the cut and the port is still of a karrnathi high mariner. The empty sockets contemplate the living man with some unnatural intelligence, awaiting for orders.

-We have work to do.

Cadaver shows the dead pilot the position of the camp, instructing him to approach it, but remaining out of sight and being as sneaky as humanly possible once they were reasonably close, to avoid patrols spotting them.

Once that is done and settled Cadaver returns to the mercenary gathering.

iTookUrNick
2012-11-01, 05:32 AM
Cadaver moves, leaving the room and approaching the pilot area. He'll be instructing the pilot on their flying plan. Meanwhile, the rest of the Sphinx works on other details.

As the resident arcane expert, Kay proposes a series of magical expenses to be discussed, and eventually a list is made. Availability in Sharn is not a problem, so it is decided that Midnight and Kay will go and buy the supplies. At a discount, if possible.

The pair visits several small magic shops, plus an apothecary (shopping for raw materials is much easier than purchasing poisonous substances). They visited Sharn several times in the past, so they are not ignorant of the locations of the shops. Even so, finding the right tool is never trivial.

They return to the airship without too much trouble and with the items they sought. The rest of the group is waiting for them, eager to set out.


A couple of rolls, in case you want to consider them:
Gather Info: [roll0] (for finding things faster)
Diplomacy: : [roll1] (INSPIRD; to try and shave a few gp off the final price)
Midnight cam aid on the task.

Shopping list:
{table=head]Item|Reason|Price|#|Tot
Wand of Benign Transposition|Moving around the battlefield, crossing open areas (for the hide-impaired), crossing chasms, etc|15/charge|50 charges|750
Wand of Enlarge Person|Increase melee capabilities (especially Cadaver's Spiked chain reach)|15/charge|20 charges|300
Wand of Ebon Eyes|Seeing in deeper darkness|15/charge|20 charges|300
Assorted poison raw materials|To make poisons, obviously.|8.3|6|50
Masterwork Manacles|To secure our prisoner|50|1 set|50
TOTAL|-|-|-|1450
[/table]

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-01, 01:01 PM
Okay all preparations have been made.

So you make it to the perimeter of the base without any incidents. You may now begin your assault of the base.

Your intel tells you that the General will be staying in the highest room of the mortician only accessible from the inside, there are windows that no normal man would fit into.

God Imperror
2012-11-01, 02:00 PM
As the Riddle approach the Cyrean base I look over the paper and information on the target. As it seems he would be at the medic, at least for now. And getting him out of there might prove troublesome, as access is clearly not easy. Windows that won't fit a man, leave few options other than just going to the front door and asking politely for the man.

We might be able to make an imaginative entrance if we get to the top of the building, even if those windows won't see us through we might slit through them as tendrils of shadows and darkness.

Anyways Cadaver would still like some more intelligence in the area, and if possible first hand.

-If the general has barricaded himself it is going to be difficult to get to him, specially if we trigger any alarm. Regardless getting some more info is probably the best we can do. That or hope for the best and jump above the roof of the building, suggestions?

iTookUrNick
2012-11-01, 03:30 PM
Hearing Cadaver's proposal, Kay blushes (only a little, but it shows quite well on his almost translucent skin).

"I... I must confess I forgot to purchase that gaseous form spell. Between the meeting and the other supplies, it really escaped my mind... I hope you will all forgive me.

Back in the realm of current possibilities, I believe the easiest and most reliable way of handling this would be for Lia to actually enter the front door, sneaking in to our intended target and knock him down. I would then teleport the two of them out from one of those windows. Said windows could be used by the rest of the team to provide support.

As an alternative solution, I could then swap Cadaver for our target through the same window, then teleport him out after we took care of our primary target. It's a much faster solution, but there is an added risk of complication in case he possess an above average resilience to magical effects.

We can also combine the two approaches, as a failsafe.

Regarding our entry and exit strategies, we can start by feather-falling on the roof of the building. We would use levitating platforms to reach those windows I mentioned, then bring them up and out the site as soon as we are done. We can use zone of silence and darkness to avoid detection. Sleep smoke could have a role at the beginning of combat.

On the whole, I believe these plans can be effective but far from foolproof. It would be imperative we devise a contingency in case things go awry.

More than a few things can really mess us up. One is a ward against teleportation. An above average resilience to magical effects of our intended target could also pose some difficulty, as I mentioned, but we have ways to lessen the impact of such occurrence. Still, it would blow or cover. Speaking of which, being discovered before completing the mission would really lower our chances. Detection spells could be countered, but it would be a great drain of resources, so I suggest it as a possibility for Lia alone. As with most situations that depend on magical escapes, I must say dispelling can also be a serious menace".

The giant stops talking, letting them think through the plan and exposing its inevitable flaws.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-01, 11:47 PM
Click

"I agree. We should scout situation first. Maybe go with detecting what magical wards and traps they have in place before we determine final plan?" suggested the thri-kreen.

iTookUrNick
2012-11-02, 04:10 AM
"Excellent observation, Click. I'll fly down on my own and check for any magical auras. Perhaps it's best I do it now, so that we might devise our plan with all necessary information at hand".

With a small bow, Kay moves away. Before exiting the room, he adds:

"I'll be quick. If I am not back within an hour... well, I'll see you later anyway"


The idea is to fly down, scout for magical auras and get back up ASAP.
Scouting devices:

While still out of hearing range, cast detect magic. Concentrate on each aura I come across, starting from above the place we need to infiltrate and gradually moving around and outward, until duration (6 minutes) expires.
Mindsight feat: detect non-mindless creatures within 100 ft, including type and INT score. Always active.
Spot [roll0] and Listen [roll1] for any extra information I can gather, including but not limited to the layout of the rest f the camp, the number of troops, guard posts.

Basic stealth protocols in place:

Invisibility up at all times.
Hide: [roll2] and Move silently: [roll3]
Darkstalker feat (avoid detection by smell, tremorsense and the like)

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-02, 04:52 AM
You get a fairly decent layout of the camp, you also note that the camp is not what you expected, it is a Warforge forge. You see that about half of the troops patrolling are Warforged. The forges give off strong Transmutation and Necromancy auras. There are a few guards with magical items nothing more powerful than weak. You do see that all humanoid guards have goggles of night(darkvision 60ft).

iTookUrNick
2012-11-02, 07:25 AM
Key reports his findings to the rest of the team, and the discussion resumes.

PowerGamer
2012-11-02, 02:39 PM
"Hmmm busy busy down there" say Cerberus. "Another option we talked about was me mimicing a guard to sbope around. What if we take it a little further than that? We need to get a non-forged guard away from the others. Knock him out, have me take his place. Then return with some "bandits" who were "just found snoping around the camp" I'll have orders to bring you guys directly to the general. That gets those we need inside right to where they need to be." Finished with his thought, Cerberus looks around for any comments or suggestions on his new idea.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-02, 07:20 PM
Lia taps her fingers against the table the group is sitting around, biting her lip absentmindedly. Cerberus' plan might work...but it was risky.

"I don't know; what if someone questions us? We don't know just how well the guards down there know each other. What happens if someone pulls us over and asks who you are? We can't really expect the old 'Oh, I'm a new guard who just started this week' thing to work" She said, stopping her fingers.

"If we're going to do this, we need to do it quickly, and quietly. I, personally, want something going on to distract the camp while we abduct the General. Failing that, I want to go in there with the absolute minimum of fuss"

"But I suppose that your plan means we have a decent amount of back up in case things go south, Cerberus. Perhaps while Kay and I try to sneak our way in, the rest of you can try to talk your way in"

She goes back to tapping her fingers, pondering the situation.

iTookUrNick
2012-11-03, 05:09 AM
"I agre with Lia when she said quickly and quietly is the best way to do things, but that might be just a personal bias.

I also advise against the whole 'bandit' ruse. We do not know their procedures, the names of the officer in charge of security, or any other small detail that could unmask us.

However, the situation would be different if you were to find and replace a medium-to-high ranking officer. After springing the distraction we planned, you could send there all the guards, removing them from their post, and if somebody asks you where you are going you can rightfully say 'to the general, in relation the attack'.

Now that you make me think about it, it would be a great help to those sneaking in if you were to do that. You would get all doors opened if nothing else, and you would be sorely needed in case it comes to a fight".

GuyFawkes
2012-11-04, 11:57 AM
Click

"Hmm. Yes, we could do that. Although bear in mind assuming form of higher officials more risky. Do that, or if you assume identity of soldiers closer to target would be good enough as well. Your choice, which you think you can pull off," he looked at Midnight and Cerberus.

"I take some point with good view of place. I will provide cover fire."

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-08, 06:17 AM
You have your plans, but we all know that even the best laid plans never survive first contact with the enemy.

cgrela
2012-11-08, 01:18 PM
I will attempt to position myself close to the general. I doubt many questions will be asked. If I tell the warforged soldiers that I am of higher rank than they, and that my orders are none of their business, few will be inclined to question me.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-08, 01:56 PM
Click

"Good. I think we are ready. Shall we?"

PowerGamer
2012-11-08, 03:27 PM
Shift into a raptoran for the flight down. "Once on the ground I will become human, replace a guard and go in with Midnight as an escort. Along the way I will replace a higher official if possible." Cerberus says as he checks his equipment to make sure he won't lose it while in flight. As soon as he finishes, he goes around with the daily routine of ash to protect party members from his fiery breath

Going with Midnight is just an easier way in and will get me closer to some possilbly higher officials without so many gaurds about. I will rewrite if some says this is a problem

---EDIT---
In the old thread, I used endure exposure on the party (marked by ashes :P fir fluff). It's endure exposure and immune to my breath weapon for 24 hours. Just applying it to everyone as a precaution.

God Imperror
2012-11-09, 06:37 AM
Okay, let's do this. Flying the riddle over the camp is easy, gracefully positioning it far above the roof of the general's building takes a couple of tries but we have a pretty good chance of dealing with it.

-Lia you should go first, if there are guards there, they could yell for help, and I would rather avoid that. Click make sure that we do not splat into the floor.

Cadaver smirks at the group as he walks towards the end of the Riddle reading himself for the drop.

-Once down there, Click and I will provide some cover from the roof if things go rough and await until you infiltrate and approach the general. Kay, keep in touch via telepathy. Good luck everyone.

That said he jumps, eager to start the mission at last.

iTookUrNick
2012-11-09, 07:43 AM
Kay remains silent throughout the preparation. He gracefully accepts Cerberus' ashes, then prepares himself to dive down right after Lia.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-10, 07:16 AM
The Aerenal Elf nods when the Ex-Karrnathi Warrior addresses her, and weaves Arcane Energy into a spell; the same spell she had woven around them both in a battle long ago, a cloak of silence that had protected them both.

She knew the plan, and she knew they could pull it off. Time to go.

The Elf, moving with a silence that would be impossible to equal with normal means, fell into the darkness, disappearing from view and drifting to the ground.

I don't think its unreasonable to go in with a few buffs prepared, considering that I missed the planning stages somewhat.

Before dropping down, Lia cast Crown of Veils (+2 Comp. Hide/Disguise, can be discharged for a further +8. Hours/Level), Zone of Silence and Silence (targeted on an Arrow in her quiver).

As she falls, she uses the darkness of night to Hide in Plain Sight [roll0]

Cyre will never know what hit them :smallamused:

GuyFawkes
2012-11-12, 08:46 AM
Click

Click jumped in after the rest, slowing his descent with his spell and guided his way down onto the target.

Feather fall for me and everyone who needs it.

God Imperror
2012-11-15, 02:03 PM
Once in the roof of the general's quarters Cadaver kneels looking around carefully. He looks at Kay and while he moves his hand in the traditional Rekkenmark sign language he express his thoughts carefully.

Click and I will cover you from here.

He draws the chain and lets it swirl on the ground silently. With a silent prayer he draws some of the inner power of the Blood towards him, empowering himself and feeling stronger and lighter.

Cadaver has activated Divine Vigor (burning one of Tenebrous turn attempts)

GuyFawkes
2012-11-15, 02:30 PM
Click

The thri-kreen readied the rope and went on to tie one end to something and the other wrapped around one arm. He gave the others a 'Ready' and 'Proceed' sign as he took up his position.

PowerGamer
2012-11-15, 03:16 PM
Cerberus lands silently and folds his wings. He looks around for a moment, then his wings disappear, along with the beak and talons. He's human now. From the roof he looks out to try and spot a lone guard who will have the pleasure of having the night off.

Spot:[roll0]
Looking for an easy target to knock out and replace :P

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-15, 04:54 PM
You don't see any patterns that will allow to easy of a take down.

Golden Ladybug
2012-11-15, 11:40 PM
Lia sidled up to the now-human Cerberus, leaving the Silence'd arrow on the ground, to retrieve later. She quickly encloses Cerberus in the sphere of controlled sound wrapped around her, letting her voice travel

"You seem to be at a loss for targets" She whispers, grinning "Perhaps I can help you with that, before Kay and I make our way in?"

My Illusions, Enchantments and prodigal Hiding are at your service :smallamused:

Perhaps Lia can distract the other guards while you do your Infiltrate/Shapeshift-y thing?

God Imperror
2012-11-16, 06:22 AM
Cadaver opens the backpack that he carried, the one containing most of the things that their employer gave them and passes uniform to Cerberus. After considering it he starts to done one himself, covering most of his bulky armor in the colors of Cyre.

Once that is done he unscrolls one map of the area, marked with the key targets, the door of the general's quarters, the stables, and he marks where most of the guards stand.


It has all of the maps the uniforms

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-16, 02:29 PM
From where you are at now you are about 6 or 7 rows and 3 columns away from the entrance to the underside of the mountain. A larger patrol is walking towards your position from the opposite direction that you want to go. They don't seem to notice you yet...

PowerGamer
2012-11-16, 11:23 PM
Cerberus nods to Cadaver and accept the uniform, quickly stripping off his usual clothing and doning the uniform. It fits a little odd so he shifts his body to better fit it. He then check his equipment one more time before going over to Midnight and signalling that he is ready.

iTookUrNick
2012-11-17, 07:32 AM
Kay takes a moment to reviw the patrols' position and movements. Whoever set up guard rotations knew what they were doing.

"I agree there seems to be no way to take one group down without someone else noticing. We might have to disarray their patterns with something unexpected and work from there. I'll go alone and start a fire in the stables. The rest of you should get ready to ambush a small patrol".

@Midnight: "Could you lend me your flint and steel?"

Noticing the approaching patrol, he adds:
"Let's wait for this one to clear, but be ready to act fast if they spot us. I'll go right after".

In case nothing happens here, here are my rollls for sneaking to the barn/stable/whatever (the rest is like before):
H: [roll0]
M.S. [roll1]

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-19, 03:54 PM
The patrol approaching you turns right before getting to your location, your position is safe...for now.

PowerGamer
2012-11-19, 04:35 PM
Cerberus sighs in relief, takes a moment and then moves over to Midnight.
He places a hand on the warforge's shoulder and whispers,
"You ready buddy? It's almost time to escort our 'experiment' to the general"
With that he straightens his uniform one more time and stands at attention.
The stance comfortable for him after years of militant training.


OOC
What's the general's name again? :P

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-19, 04:37 PM
Your target is the general Faren.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-20, 01:06 AM
Click

Click waited for the others to get in place and looked out for the patrol.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

God Imperror
2012-11-20, 03:28 AM
Cadaver lays down on the ground, covered with his black cloak and with the old trusty crossbow in his hands. He isn't really good with it, ranged weapons were never among its tools of war but if things go south he felt more comfortable with a weapon in his hand.

listen on the patrol [roll0]

iTookUrNick
2012-11-20, 10:36 AM
As soon as the patrol changes path Kay is on the move, flying over to the designated building. He checks for any unforeseen circumstance that might affect the opportunity of enacting the plan, including guards.
Finding none*, he chooses a spot out of view and, using flint and steel**, sets a few haystacks on fire. Lastly, he slips away, as quietly as he came, with the intention of rejoining the group outside the entrance to the mountain's underside.
Spot: [roll0] Listen: [roll1]
*of course, if Kay notices something that might affect him or the plan, the narrative might need some adjustments.
**a lit torch or lantern will do even better, if they are available inside.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-21, 12:59 PM
You set fire to one of the buildings. You almost immediately hear a deep base almost like a drum, a small group of guards run to the building, a few must be casters they create water over the fire dousing it almost immediately, these are not just any guards, these are well trained to keep everything working 100% at all times.

iTookUrNick
2012-11-21, 01:38 PM
Kay watchs the scene from a safe spot, a grave expression on his face. This level of preparedness is both unexpected and unwelcome. He decides to regroup and inform the others about this turn of events. Perhaps someone will come up with a solution.