PDA

View Full Version : [4E] RB DND Campaign, Thread Six

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 07:42 PM
Adalhard tries to match any of the geographical feature to any given area of the Feywild to which they could be from.

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 07:43 PM
Adalhard: You don't see any.

Just a note, seeing as how we're on page 51, we'll be switching over to the next thread after Adalhard goes to bed. Presuming no one else has anything ELSE they'd wish to do :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 07:50 PM
Adalhard thinks of the place to which the Blackwater Marshes correspond in the Feywild.

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 07:53 PM
Adalhard: The comparative place would be a lush, vibrant dryad forest, a stark contrast to the marshlands.

Now, there are some mountains near the forest as well, which match up quite nicely with the mountains in the natural plane. I'm pretty sure your current thought process is telling you "it's probably in one of the mountains"

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 08:08 PM
Cathedral
Adalhard looks into settlements near the mountains or any particular "too similar to something in the Feywild" mountain.

He also tries to study the types of terrain on them.

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 08:35 PM
Adalhard: I'm not really sure what kind of terrain a mountain would have. I guess...mountainy. For the most part, the mountains nearby seem to be rocky mountains. They likely have cage passages and climbable surfaces and the like.

You don't see anything all that similiar to the Fey Wild, and though there are a few Dwarf border towns in a mountain to the south of the Blackwater Marsh, the northern mountain doesn't seem to have any people living on or in it.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 08:42 PM
Cathedral
On the type of Mountain Terrain to be found.
[roll0]

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 08:47 PM
Adalhard: It'll be rocky, and require some effort to climb, what with the checks and the possible need of a guide, but you likely won't require any gear to climb them. Some places might be a bit dangerous balance wise, and camping out might be hard unless you can find a cave or something. It'd be a dry climate, and probably cold as you get higher up. This isn't a SUPER tall mountain though. Probably around 13,000ft (it says that's the average for mountains!)

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 09:01 PM
Adalhard looks for alternative trails to the Mountain and settlements or center other than the Black Marshes.

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 09:13 PM
Adalhard: There are a few smaller settlements here or there, but none seem to be close to the only obvious path up the mountain other then Blackwater Marsh. You also don't see any real alternate paths UP the mountain, but then as far as I'm aware maps don't even show paths that lead up mountains so I wouldn't know!

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 09:44 PM
Adalhard looks if there is any material or treatise on climbing methods or equipment that would make such an ordeal easier and less deadly.

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 09:46 PM
Adalhard: You're fairly certain that this is the type of climbing where you won't need any equipment. It might HELP, but it's definitly not needed.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 10:17 PM
Cathedral:
Adalhard approached the priest.

"If it wouldn't be much of an annoyance; would it be possible to make a sending?"

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 10:20 PM
Adalhard: "Of course" and he finds some semi secluded place to cast the ritual.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 10:32 PM
Cathedral:
Adalhard thanks him.

Sending:
"Adel, Shadowfel 0񲣖'0''. Correspondence sending awaiting. Return soon, thanks for taking care of Ilya. Situation has compounded; much is in turmoil. I apologize, Contessa."
"I cannot overstate my gratitude father."

LaZodiac
2013-02-19, 10:35 PM
Adalhard: Ok! Your sending is...sent! The priest gives a bow and says "Thank you as well. Consider us even, my child"

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 01:16 AM
Cathedral:
"I must argue to the contrary; I'm deeper in debt. It gives me another reason to return to this wonderful plane, father.

I do venture to ask. How are the recent converts faring; were they of use during the chaos?"

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 01:18 AM
Adalhard: "They were indeed. They helped us help those whose time was not up, and helped defend the Cathedral from the few threats that did spring up. They'll serve us nicely, I assure you"

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 01:43 AM
Cathedral:
"I observe with glee at the prospect of true converts in the midst of shadows.

I must ask; do you by any chance have any sort of winter available in this establishment?"

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 01:47 AM
Adalhard: "I'm afraid not. We focus primarly on The Queen's dominion over death, and fate. Snow does not keep very well here"

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 02:27 AM
Cathedral:
"I understand; it was merely a glimmer of curiosity.

If you'll forgive me; I'd like to admire the Cathedral's design. Not going to be a short while until my return and I'd like to properly remember the grandiose of this place."

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 02:44 AM
Adalhard: "Of course"

The Cathedral is a very large, black, gothic styled church and castle hybrid. It's got raven gargoyles here and there, and it's all very elegent in it's darkness. As always, the statue of the Raven Queen, made of white marble, stands elegently. In a way it's visige is saddening, as you've already seen her in person, and the statue does not compare. But it does a good job of it.

The candles continue to burn as simply as they did when you first set foot here, glowing a faint whiteish blue light, hinting at their magical origin and giving a nice radiant ambiance to the Cathedral. It also serves to cast shadows quite nicely, and with the amount of people here today, the lights create many shadows indeed. A vertible sea of white and black. For a moment, you may perchance believe it to be a chessboard, but perhaps that's just a trick of the mind from King's garish cloak. The light also seems to draw your eye towards the statue of the Queen, and you see she has a very faint smile. You don't recall that smile from before.

Teddy
2013-02-20, 03:38 AM
At the market:
Elden goes searching for a Staff of Tongues and a Diadem of Acuity.

Also, Avgust, be my guest. Elden has 7 pp and 10 gp for everyone (that is, 42 pp and 60 gp in unsplit party assets). He'll keep hold of his share, and you'll administer the split of the rest, yes?

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 03:42 AM
At the market:
Elden goes searching for a Staff of Tongues and a Diadem of Acuity.

Also, Avgust, be my guest. Elden has 7 pp and 10 gp for everyone (that is, 42 pp and 60 gp in unsplit party assets). He'll keep hold of his share, and you'll administer the split of the rest, yes?
Are you accounting for the sold armour and weapon because with those Elden actually has quite a bit more to give?

From my accounting of what Adalhard sold, the Armor and mace selling as well as the new 4000; everyone (each one) gets 6231.6 gp

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 03:45 AM
Elden: You're able to find the two items quite easily. I'm hesitant to describe what they look like, since the option of having Adalhard just adjust em to look how you want is always there, but I will anyway. Or atleast I'll describe the Diadem, since that actually has some signifigence, while the staff's apperance is going to be "it got eaten so it looks like nothing"

You're able to find the staff in a, of all things, pawn shop. You find the Diadem in an open air market selling various magical jewelery (ironically where Adalhard later finds the Odstone power stone for his sword and eyepatch of amazingness). It appears to be a simple bronzed circlet, with a ruby in the middle, fitted so that it rests againest your forehead comfortably.

The prices for both items are the base market price, with a 30% discount due to the fact that the stores do all recognize that hey, you're one of the heroes, and 30 percent is the lowest they can go without losing profit.

Teddy
2013-02-20, 09:54 AM
At the market:
Elden pays the 2744 gp in total to the two vendors (which, entirely coincidentially, is every single gold piece Elden has on his person right now), and puts on the diadem. He'll then find a bit of breathing space, draw his fire round his arms, strap his staff to his back and hold the new staff in front of him with both hands. With a brief flash of concentration, the staff immolates, and huge white flames shoot back along his arms up to his shoulders, where they sprout out in two fiery wings.

The next moment, the flames dissipate, and Elden stands in a gently descending mist of iridescent ash looking at his fire burning with a comfortable white glow in his right hand. He finally unstraps his staff, puts the fire back, and prepares to journey back to Felix house.

(Unless Carric has something he wishes to acquire, I think we should be done at the market now.)

Are you accounting for the sold armour and weapon because with those Elden actually has quite a bit more to give?

No, because you already did so when giving Elden his share of the profits Adalhard had collected:

Elden has 3000gp from his current sale. Adalhard has 30389.8gp (including floating money that was assumed taken but nobody has on their character sheet.

Adalhard gives Elden 2564gp, getting him a grand total of 5564 of today's profits. Adalhard pockets himself 5564gp, and has 4 packets of 5564 each for the party (he gives Carric his on the soonest opportunity).

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 04:25 PM
Adalhard searches for the Helm of Happiness.

No, because you already did so when giving Elden his share of the profits Adalhard had collected:

Ah, ok.

Also, Elden still has 3487.6 gp (each one has 6231,63 gp as share) [they both have been traversing the markets and at some point they must have crossed each other's path and Adalhard given Elden the money].

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 04:28 PM
Adalhard: Unfortunately, you can't find anything like the helm you're looking for. You do hear some rumors that someone DID claim to have found one, but they're vague on when it happened, and the person seems to have left the Shadowfell by this point.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 04:30 PM
Adalhard checks on any Temple of Vecna or similar establishment.

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 04:31 PM
Adalhard: You don't find any temples of Vecna, despite your knowledge of such places.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 04:34 PM
Adalhard tries to find any establishment with it.
[roll0]
[roll1]

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 04:39 PM
Adalhard: It occurs to you that the Helm of Seven Death's is not some hedge wizard level enchantment, and you realize that it'd be rather difficult to find one. They're relatively old, and rare, creations after all.

You do have some theories of where you might be able to find it, but it'd require finding a Cult of Vecna, and those are relatively hard to find (shockingly, people who follow the secret keeper are good at hiding).

Teddy
2013-02-20, 04:49 PM
Ah, ok.

Also, Elden still has 3487.6 gp (each one has 6231,63 gp as share) [they both have been traversing the markets and at some point they must have crossed each other's path and Adalhard given Elden the money].

Nope, not a single gold piece. Or rather, he has 30 gold pieces because I derped up my mathematics, but no more. He has 35 platinum pieces, however, meaning that he has 3530.6 gp worth of capital, of which 6 sp were private assets, but that's it.

Also, you're off in your calculations: Everyone should have a share 6274 gp, with 5.8 gp left as unsplit assets.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 04:49 PM
Adalhard returns to the Cathedral and politely inquires about Cults of Vecna in the area.

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 04:51 PM
Adalhard: The priest looks at you rather puzzledly "I...can't say I know of any, no. Though I wish I did, those who worship the God of Undeath are opposed to us. I'll keep my ears open and send you a message if I find anything, however"

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 04:53 PM
Adalhard thanks him and inquires with the redeemed Caissans about the presence of any Vecnan cult or group and the item.

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 05:03 PM
Adalhard: They all say they don't have any real knowledge of Vecna. Except for the Thri Kreen. He mentions something that piques your interest. He recalls, before he left his homeland to journey to the main continent, which is where he fell into the Shadowfell, he heard rumors of a skull headed warrior who's blade sucked out souls of those he fought. The rumors claim he was huge, and slay various Sultan's and their retinue of warriors, and then leave without a care in the world. But he's always just dismissed these as rumors, for the most part.

As a clarification on some stuff, the Thri Kreen come from a desert island to the eastish of the main continent. Kenku (raven people if you're unfamiliar) come from there as well, and have their own little sociaty of Sultans and what not. The Thri Kreen are more nomadic and barbarian/Mongol esque, due to their insectoid nature.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 05:16 PM
Carric
Adalhard asks Carric about the Helm of Seven Deaths and gives him his share of the loot (6231,6 gp).

Ranger Mattos
2013-02-20, 05:23 PM
Market
"I recall seeing something like that before, but it did not have any gems. It was in the hands of Valindrel."

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 05:29 PM
Carric:
"Thanks.

By any chance, do you recall a place by the name of Blackrock Mount?"

Ranger Mattos
2013-02-20, 05:31 PM
Market
"I don't recognize it. Maybe it has something to do with Blackwater Marsh?"

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 05:41 PM
Carric:
"I did some research on the area around the Blackwater Marsh; I believe the exact point of the fissure between planes where the Boneyard lies is in Blackrock Mountain.

If I'm correct and we could be gated to that point; we could save days of overland travel, threats on the road by the Fell Court, the issues of being tracked by the Lich or being found on Balckwater Marshes. On the other hand, every time I or Elden have tried to find any way to optimise our proceedings the results have been less than ideal bordering on the catastrophic.

I would't put it past my luck that the portal would throw is into the Far Realm or that the location was several kilometres on the direction opposite.

I was just looking to confirm if that location was indeed the correct spot.

Are you going to be acquiring further gear?"

Ranger Mattos
2013-02-20, 05:46 PM
Market
No, I haven't found any items I'm interested in."

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 05:58 PM
Market:
"Shopkeepers are selling us equipment at fractional prices, I doubt we'll get similar deals later on.

Worst case a pair of Iron Armbands of Power and the Gauntlets of Blood provide a rather solid added level of lethality to you; maybe an Elven Chain Shirt to get added mileage from your armour. It should run around 4676gp, 2200 gp less than at market price; and they remain relevant until around the time we'll be fighting Elder Wyrms.

I'm going to try to find Elden and go with him to Ledia's house to discuss the geographical tactics we should be adhering to and probably also to look for climbing gear considering a few sp here may save us several pp from lost limbs later on. Want to come along? We could use your input in regard to your knowledge of localities and any expertise or experience you have in sorting highland terrains."

[One is a flat +2 to damage and the other one is a +2 to damage when the enemy is bloodied. The Elven Chain Shirt is a slotless +1 to AC

Ranger Mattos
2013-02-20, 06:16 PM
Market
"I must have missed the armbands and gauntlets. Where were they?"

After Adalhard points the way, Carric purchases a pair of each for a total of 1848 gp.

"Now let's head to Ledia's."

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-20, 06:17 PM
Market:
Adalhard looks for Elden and informs him about the Blackrock Mountaing being the Boneyard place Hypothesis. Also asks him to come along to Ledia's.

Teddy
2013-02-21, 02:35 AM
Market:
Adalhard looks for Elden and informs him about the Blackrock Mountaing being the Boneyard place Hypothesis. Also asks him to come along to Ledia's.

At the market:
Actually, Elden has been trying to stay close to Carric in order to not get separated, and since his shopping round should take less time than Adalhard's curch visit, I think he should've been hanging around during the entire conversation. Don't worry, I'll ignore the lines about finding him. :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2013-02-21, 09:00 AM
Markets: Ok then! You guys head off to the Ashborn inn!

You enter, and you see that the place is quite lively, for a bar in the Shadowfell. People of all sorts, from guards to civilians, sit around. Some eat, most drink, and it generally has an ok atmosphere. Standing at the bar counter is a portly, balding man wearing the standard type of clothing you'd assume for someone in his line of work. He's currently polishing a mug. "Welcome. Don't get many elves here, specially them magical ones. What can I do yah for?" he asks.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-21, 12:17 PM
Market:
"Good Day. Is the guest in Room 12 currently in the inn?"

LaZodiac
2013-02-21, 12:21 PM
Ashborn Inn: "Room 12? Ah, yes, that's that paladin. Just missed her. Before that big ruckus started at Lord Jarod's manner, some girl came in her and shouted it was time to go. Fore I could ask her what happened, they rushed up to her room, and when I went to check, nothing was there"

I think this is a good place to cut the thread and post the new one. I shall do so.

LaZodiac
2013-02-21, 12:27 PM
NEW THREAD YO. LUCKY NUMBER SLEVEN! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14751048#post14751048)