PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Fluctuating One

Rizban
2012-10-22, 12:24 AM
This is a private thread for Zerter and his GM(s) ONLY. Please do not read it otherwise.

The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Zerter
2012-10-22, 06:24 AM
I enter and look around, taking the place in. Trying to blend in with my environment (not literally of course...). I hate to drink alone, so my first order of business is to try and get a sense of whom would be good companionship. I'll be looking for high charisma people (either gender, prefferably female), that I have the sense have interesting stories to tell (obvious adventuring gear would be a sign, being a dragon would be a sign) and would be open to me approaching them.

[roll0] sense motive.
[roll1] Knowledge (Local): what do I know about the Sad Flint?

Rizban
2012-10-22, 11:39 AM
There seem to be several patrons that fit your thoughts. A very short man, whom you at first mistake for a gnome, sits at the end of the bar talking amiably to a warforged marked with runes in silver tracery. Elsewhere, you see a halving woman in fine clothing sipping a glass of wine. The last person to catch your immediate notice is a half-elf girl working as a server. She has the interest of almost every man in the room.

From what you recall, the Sad Flint is ancient, nearly as old as the city itself, from when Old Town was the only part of town. It was the first building built in Midtown, and the place takes great pride in that. Despite being the meeting place for adventurers of all types, the Sad Flint has managed to avoid being burned down by them for over a hundred years, a truly impressive feat considering the typical adventurer.

Zerter
2012-10-22, 01:59 PM
The man and the Warforged do sound very interesting, but I would hate dislike slightly to interrupt a private conversation. I therefore approach the Halfling women and utilize the best way to pick up women in all the planes in every multiverse, honesty.

I approach and engage her in her native language (which I assume is Halfling), "Greetings fair lady, I entered this establishment and quickly found myself wanting for some companionship. To be blunt, a gut assesement told me you might make for interesting conversation. Would you mind terribly if I joined you?"

[roll0] diplomacy (I don't seem to be able to open my sheet, but I put my diplomacy around +22 or so)

Rizban
2012-10-23, 01:36 PM
"Aww... You so sweet. I'm married. In fact, my husband is coming back with drinks right now."

You hear a rather deep voice clear his throat behind you.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 01:51 PM
I turn around, "Ah sir, nice to meet you! Let me assure you that - even though she comes across as very charismatic - when I approached your wife while she was sitting alone, and asked her to have a drink with me, I had no romantic intentions. No, I don't aim that high, right now I am just looking for friendly contact. Male, female, Giant, Halfling, as long as the contact is interesting! I'm trying to learn to build up relationships, for some reason I don't have any. If I had seen the two of you together I would not have approached, I don't like to interrupt private conversations, but since we got to this point already, do you mind if I joined you?"

[roll0] Diplomacy.
[roll1] Charisma check to determine how good looking I look as the guy that approached his wife.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 01:54 PM
The first thing you noticed is that her husband is a rather large half-ogre.

"Good. Now leave or I break off your arms."

"Aint he a doll?" She smiles coyly at you.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 02:14 PM
I laugh nervously and walk backwards a bit (in full defense), "Sir, if you don't mind me saying, I respect what you are saying and might I just say you look like a very impressive physical specimen. I know I am talking too much and I am ready to run at the first visual sign you show of wanting to hurt me, but I would actually like to know exactly how strong you are. Would you mind terrible to arm wrestle me once? If you do I would carry the memory of your might with me my entire life. I just ask you not to break it, even though I understand some pain would be inevitable."

I have a feeling my commitment to get something out of this encounter aside from, "Go away!" is going to end up hurting me : D

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:22 PM
He turns and sets the drinks on the table.

Suddenly turning, his fist flies toward your face.

[roll0] vs you Flat-Footed
[roll1]

Roll Initiative.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 03:33 PM
[roll0] iniatiative

I do would like to point out I made several references to me expecting an attack, going as far as to take distance from him, standing in full defense and actually saying I was expecting something IC and OOC. Not that I don't respect the ruling, just that I was not expecting him to get a surprise attack.

If I win iniatiave I try to tumble away 15 feet (1d20+15, including an inspiration point) and use my second move action to get as close to the door as I can while keeping in mind I want to limit his possibility to be able to charge or reach me.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:36 PM
It wasn't a surprise attack so much as that he couldn't lose initiative, even if you rolled a nat 20. His modifier is higher than yours, and he rolled a nat 20.

You're rolling initiative to determine if you go before or after any other combatants. Congratulations, it's your turn.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 03:37 PM
Ah, poor me. [roll0] for the tumble check

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:51 PM
You tumble 15 feet closer to the door, avoiding any potential attacks.

The patrons at the nearby tables all quickly pick up any drinks or food on their tables and take a step back from the tables.

Seeing you fleeing, the half-orge huffs at you but doesn't move.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 03:55 PM
With whatever is left of my dignity I decide to be the better man here and shed a tear on the inside at the prospect of making that poor woman a widow. I calmly walk towards the door and exit the building.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 04:04 PM
As you leave, the nearby patrons sit back down, looking warily at the tables as they do so.

The half-ogre huffs again and takes his seat, slamming back his ale in one, long shot.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 04:10 PM
I am tempted to use my hat of disguise as I turn around the corner and walk back in. But on the other hand, knowing that in the Sad Flint you are allowed to try and kill a man without any repurcussions is good knowledge to have, so I consider the negative to cancel out the positive. As I have some wounds, or rather one very big one, I decide to head to the temple of my religion, Olidammara, instead; to see if if my general personality is appreciated more over there.

I talk to my Raven, Dolf, (whom suddenly magically appears now that I think about him!) and mutter, "I was just trying to be nice..."

Rizban
2012-10-23, 04:12 PM
*SQUAWK*

Your raven sounds more like a sick grackle.

1Entering the Temple District, he finds himself outside the temple of Pelor (http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/37716d3423a654bdbbb1b92b223a9cedc158e54c.pjpg), which is surrounded by the thick, circular outer wall. A sense of power seems to linger in the air. The large front door to the temple stands open, and can be seen from the gate in the outer wall, revealing a large statue of Pelor sitting cross legged with open arms, welcoming his children into the temple. A gold sun the size of a troll tops the temple.

Barely a block away stands the opposite of the grand temple of Pelor. The modest temple of Bahamut is simple and avoids the baroque and heavy ornamentations of many of the other temples. It seems to be made of rather plain stone, though the inside of front door is inlaid with Bahamut's holy symbol wrought in platinum, the only ornamentation visible on the temple.

The twin temples to Solaron and Minrhet are two blocks west and one north of Pelor. The one on the right features a bronze lantern-shaped building that seems to glow internally. The one on the left has a draconic theme, showing chromatic and metallic dragons working together. The buildings are connected by a spiral tower that mixes the two themes. Four small shrines are located, one each, at the four external corners of the buildings.

Not far away, a great library stands in the district, the main doors watched over by priestesses in dark emerald green robes.

Hundreds of small temples, shrines, and small statues line every street as far as the eye can see dedicated to all manner of gods, goddesses, and pantheons.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 04:16 PM
Maybe I should have mentioned this before, but my Raven is pretty intelligent for its kind and fluent in common. Though I guess being intelligent might mean he feels too good to talk to me after... recent events.

Zerter
2012-10-23, 04:19 PM
I am very much impressed by what I see, and I try to take a mental picture of every temple. I make a mental note to dedicate some of my studies to religion, because you are never too old to learn new skills. I also continue my search for the temple of the smiling rogue.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 09:36 PM
He fails to find it by simply walking around. If there is indeed a temple, perhaps it is hidden from public view so that only the faithful who posses the skills necessary might find it.

Zerter
2012-10-24, 08:20 AM
Well, I do keep insisting information gathering is one of my specialities.

[roll0] Knowledge Local: Temple of Olidammara?
[roll1] Gather Information: Temple of Olidammara=?

After that I approach the priestess in dark emerald green robes, "Hello fair lady, if I am not mistaken there's a collosal amount of knowledge outside. Yet you stand outside, as if you don't need this knowledge. You must posses a lot already! Can you use some of it to point in the direction of the temple of Olidammara?"

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:55 AM
[roll0] hours later, he finds that there is indeed a temple in the district, that it is indeed hidden, but that none he has asked either know or are willing to divulge its location.

She bows to you slightly.
"Regrettably, we do not follow the doings of minor gods. Only the will of Sombrius in her great wisdom interests us."

Zerter
2012-10-24, 11:28 AM
I ask Dolf, my best friend in the whole world, if he saw anything that might help. And I want to find a as detailed as possible map of the temple district.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 03:25 PM
Dolf pecks you in the head twice and flies away about two feet out of your reach.

Zerter
2012-10-24, 04:06 PM
I look at my best friend, smile, and then jump/tumble to catch his feathered behind.

[roll0] Jump
[roll1] Tumble
[roll2] Touch attack
[roll3] Grapple

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:36 PM
You, in fact, manage to catch him.

He looks at you as innocently as a raven can, almost questioning your actions.

Zerter
2012-10-25, 06:02 AM
I let him go and start looking for a place where I can grab something to eat.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:17 PM
He settles back down on your shoulder, muttering to himself about "just doing his job" or something to that effect.

There are few places to buy food in Temple District as most people come here to worship not to eat. However, the temple of Bibedsia, goddess of feasting and fine wines, always has an elaborate banquet of amazing, gourmet food.

Zerter
2012-10-25, 02:48 PM
The temple of Bibedsia sounds like the perfect place to grab a small bite to eat. I head there right away, singing a song along the way about the land of my forefathers.

"Ow, beautiful land. I miss your glorious sands. You go so low, yet rise so high. I miss you every day lalalala."

[roll0] Perform: Sing (untrained)

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:32 PM
You find the temple, which is built to look like a grand banquet hall, because, well, it is a banquet hall. A feast is currently taking place inside, priestesses stand outside the front door holding wooden boxes about the size of a human head.

Zerter
2012-10-26, 04:28 PM
I approach one of the priests and observe for a few moments and try to get a sense of the protocol, specifically what kind of service/payment they expect for me to be able to participate in the feast without being bad mannered. If anyone comes along to join along the way I observe what that individual does.

I'll try to observe in a manner that looks like I am walking around until I happen to come across the priest. This goes something like this:

I am looking around at the temples, gazing at the craftmanship, slowly approaching the priests (seemingly by coincidence as a result of me looking around) and keeping them in my sight until I stand close by, having observed them for a minute or so. Then I start interaction.

[roll0] - Knowledge (Religion) - Bibedsia
[roll1] - Knowledge (Local) - this specific temple
[roll2] - Sense Motive - get sense of what priest expects
[roll3] - Bluff - looking cool while observing them

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:46 PM
K(r) - You know Bibedsia is the goddess of feasting and fine wine. She's a relatively minor goddess with very limited power. In fact, her priests has access to only the Feast and Joy domains.

K(l) - This temple is known to host great feasts at every given opportunity. Dedicated clerics of the faith may eat for free occasionally, but most patrons are enticed to donate at the door.

SM - The priestesses expect people to put something in the box.

B - They are not watching you. You fail to look cool, and your raven clacks his beak in a way that sounds like laughter.

Zerter
2012-10-26, 04:56 PM
I am going to interpret my raven's clacking as him basking in the glory that is me. I'll put two GP in the box, one for me and one for Dolf. I'll give the priest a big smile,

"If we were forced to live under a single omnipotent deity, Bibedsia would be my pick!" (I mentally tell Olidammara that I am sure he would understand and that in the real world where we live in he kicks Bibedsia's ass)

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:59 PM
The priestess' smile lowers slightly.

"Thank you for your generosity, sir."

She doesn't attempt to stop you if you enter the hall.

Zerter
2012-10-26, 05:03 PM
I nod politely and go in, mumbling to Dolf outside of the priest's earshot, "I don't know what they expect me to pay, I'm a skinny unemployed individual and you're a raven. Not like we're going to eat them in the poorhouse."

Rizban
2012-10-26, 05:26 PM
Just through the door, you find yourself in a small antechamber. It seems as if there's a place to check coats, hats, or other such things you don't want to get food on. Another door directly ahead leads you into the feasting hall.

Zerter
2012-10-26, 05:42 PM
I take note of the antechamber and feel my expectations rising as I continue, "Maybe I could have donated a little bit more, I don't know. I was just trying to be fair, do you think I'm making too much of this?"

Rizban
2012-10-26, 06:07 PM
Dolf caws in your ear.

The hall is indeed elaborate. The first thing you notice is the HUGE table that stretches the entire length of the hall. It's covered with all manner of food and drink. Patrons sit in groups along the edges of the table eating, drinking, and laughing. There are a number of empty chairs along each side of the table, each with a place setting just waiting for someone to be seated.

Marble columns line the walls, silk draped between them to helps muffle the noise of the feast. Two sets of double doors sit in the back wall, apparently leading to the kitchen. Every so often, a new dish will be brought out to replace an empty serving dish on the table.

It seems as though you are intended to seat and serve yourself.

Zerter
2012-10-26, 06:19 PM
"Well Dolf, I've spend years being trained to act with dignity, to delay gratification. To be a paragon of virtue at all times. I mean, what would my mother say if she saw me give in to my most basic needs like some animal? My mother, the woman that abandoned me and left me to die in this city... Mmmm."

I run towards the first empty chair and I dig in, raising a glass of wine to Bibedsia as well as Olidammara, because it was after all my quest to find the home of the Smiling Rogue that lead me to this place.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 12:18 AM
Dolf flutters his wings briefly. Were he human, it would appear to be an exasperated shrug. He promptly lands atop a large goblet of wine and begins drinking.

Zerter
2012-10-29, 01:04 AM
I'm going to apply some strategy here, because there's only so much room in a body. I'll be looking for my intake to be high quality and to not fill me up quickly. I'll also try to constrain myself a bit, not because I am actually constrained, but because I want to last as long as possible so I need to give my body some room to digest while I eat and not put it under constant pressure. I'll also check around my immediate neighborhood to see if there's anyone I can engage for conversation, talking will put breathing room in between bites!

This is one of those situations where what I would do IRL and what I would do in character overlap completely.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 01:22 AM
You find all manner of foods to your liking. You almost swear that a plate of one thing changes into a bowl of something else, the precise something being exactly what you were wanting, the moment your gaze is averted.

There are three people eating hardily next to you: two halflings and a strange black and white humanoid with powerful muscles and a mouth just a little too large for his head.

Zerter
2012-10-29, 01:32 AM
I look away and imagine a steak with blood coming out when I cut it open, this is washed down with a glass of wine. This is followed by a bowl of ice cream: strawberry-flavored with little chocolates sprinked on top, which is washed down with wine. This is followed by me taking it easy for a moment, loosening my belt one notch. As I relax for a moment I take a moment to adore my precious Raven, sometimes I wonder who is familiar to whom...

I then start looking to socialize. Given my very poor track record with Halflings I'll go for the grey guy: I raise another glass of wine and make eye contact with him while being cheerful, "Discovering this place is one of the best things I have did in life. Hurrah to Bibedsia! Hurrah to life!"

I got up a hour early today because I did not know daylight saving times went in over here. Which gave me time to reply to you! Every disadvantage has its advantage.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 01:38 AM
Hah. We don't switch until the 4th. Where do you live?You find everything to your liking.

The raven is becoming quite drunk. Having finished the first goblet, he began consuming the liquor filled candies with the little sugared ants in them.

The three, in unison, "Hurrah!"

Zerter
2012-10-29, 01:44 AM
The Netherlands. My roommate stopped me from leaving at the last moment. I got to go though, good luck updating! Good job getting Aldhaven running so smoothly again.

I'm going to express with body language that I am very receptive to these people while drinking my fourth glass of wine and remaining generally cheerful (I don't want to be the guy that just keeps talking).

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:46 AM
As you consume your fourth glass of wine, you need to make a Fortitude save. Every glass after this one will also require a save.

Zerter
2012-10-29, 07:11 AM
"Here's to you Dolf, down the hatch it goes!"

[roll0] fortitude.

I look at my empty glass and ponder for a moment, should I continue drinking? I feel pleasant, warm... I like people. But no, it's a trap! One more drink and another dozen will follow, I don't want a repeat of last night, unless last night was really good, I can't remember...

I switch to something non-alcoholic

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:22 PM
You become slightly inebriated but not yet drunk. Dolf, however, is well on his way to "completely smashed."

Zerter
2012-10-29, 03:28 PM
"Dolf, buddy, you know I believe in freedom and personal responsibility. And that I'll be here for you no matter what decisions you make. I just want to tell you though, continue the kind of decisions you are currently making and you'll end up like me. I'm getting wasted on the same day I finally decided to better my life, and I am taking my best friend with me on this dark and bleak road. I have decided to stop drinking alcohol at this dinner and to instead enjoy it without engaging in damaging excess, what about you my black-feathered friend?"

Rizban
2012-10-29, 04:41 PM
He promptly vomits on the floor then tucks his beak under a wing before going to sleep.

Zerter
2012-10-30, 03:16 AM
I make sure he's comfortable, finish whatever I am eating and leave with Dolf in my arms.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 05:13 AM
The others look sad to see you go as they continue eating.

You are now outside the temple.

Zerter
2012-10-30, 01:33 PM
First things first, I look for a bathroom or similiar facility given that I've just eaten my weight in junk (and if I find one, I use it, but I don't think either of us will enjoy this getting descriptive).

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:44 PM
You do so... and realize that you don't need to mention it explicitly in the future.

Zerter
2012-10-30, 01:51 PM
I hold my precious Raven close and carefully stroke his feathers as he sleeps, "Dolf, don't worry buddy, you'll wake up feeling fine."

I'm going to take a general walk around the temple district for a hour or so, trying to figure out this Olidammara thing and look for anything related to the temple or the religion in general while I get a feeling for the district as a whole.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:24 PM
You see a number of temples and shrines. None are to Olidammara.

Zerter
2012-10-30, 02:26 PM
Okay. Time to find a map and just eliminate buildings one by one. Anywhere I know in the district that is suited to find a map? A deity of cartography maybe?

[roll0] Knowledge (Local): Where to buy a map?

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:39 PM
In your wandering you spot shrines to a number of interesting deities:

Coin, the god of, surprisingly, currency and trade, greedy beyond compare and thoroughly evil.
Necrophytes, god of pimps, panderers and go-betweens. A new god, but a very hard worker.
Inary, the god of the wind, sorrow, courtships, and... pork sandwiches?
Nonoulhu, the asexual deity of nudity
Sifah, the goddess of beans, clouds, and second thoughts
Kesu, god of Fertility and Victory, known to be male but always take female form when appearing to mortals
Ginu Rro, goddess of deserts and desserts
Kaeta, the goddess of horses
Eneasher, goddess of night, nightmares and fate
Inem, the goddess of money, wishes and bad luck
Dreasseth, the god of secrets and thieves
Eloandry, the god of misery and chaos

None of whom seem to be a god of cartography...

Zerter
2012-10-30, 02:41 PM
Well, a number of those shrines actually peak my interest. I am going to start by studying the one to Dreasseth.

Zerter
2012-10-30, 02:51 PM
Let me just see what I know beyond portfolio's.

Coin - [roll0] Knowledge religion
Necrophytes - [roll1] Knowledge religion
Inary - [roll2] Knowledge religion
Nonoulhu - [roll3] Knowledge religion
Sifah - [roll4] Knowledge religion
Kesu - [roll5] Knowledge religion
Ginu Rro - [roll6] Knowledge religion
Kaeta - [roll7] Knowledge religion
Eneasher - [roll8] Knowledge religion
Inem - [roll9] Knowledge religion
Dreasseth - [roll10] Knowledge religion
Eloandry - [roll11] Knowledge religion

Rizban
2012-10-30, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately, being but small shrines with no attendants, there is no one convenient to inform you further about the deities. Relying on your own knowledge, you can recall only a few small things about a couple of them.

Sifah - A beautiful goddess known for her generosity, though recipients of her benevolence always second guess themselves.

Ginu Rro - Thought to exert influence over fine confections, such as chocolate truffles and cakes. A true deity for the baker. Some of his confections seem a bit... gritty.

Inem - His followers teach that all things come with a price, one that comes most often in unexpected ways.

Eloandry - He is also associated with rivers and night and is known to help random mortals. He is the father of Z'llev, another diety you can remember nothing about except his name.

Zerter
2012-10-30, 03:41 PM
I'll take 20 on a search check at and of the Dreasseth shrine (31) just to honor the god of secrets and thieves. I'll also try to see if I know or can find out what the best place in the city is to learn more about the deities.

[roll0] Gather information
[roll1] Knowledge (local)

Rizban
2012-10-30, 06:35 PM
The shrine to Dreasseth is about 3 feet wide tall by two feet wide by 1.5 feet deep. There's a small statue dedicated to her in the middle, but her form is hidden by robes and a hood. The only distinguishable feature is one small hand holding her index finger up in front of her lips in a silent "shush." There are no priests in attendance at the shrine.

Your search check reveals nothing. It seems that she is quite good at keeping secrets.

Zerter
2012-10-31, 10:57 AM
I write a note and hide it at the shrine somewhere. It says: You can't find a secret, because when you do it no longer is. I mimic the form of the shrine for a moment as I mirror it, and then I move on. I'll head into a random direction to see what district I end up in.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 10:15 PM
Random Direction Go! [roll0]Heading west, you find yourself facing the imposing outer wall of the city before you leave the Temple district.

Zerter
2012-11-01, 02:19 PM
I study the wall and my immediate surroundings.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:50 AM
The wall is some thirty feet high and shows excellent workmanship, at least as far as you can tell. You see several smaller temples and a dozen or so shrines on the street that runs next to the wall. You do not immediately recognize any of them.

Zerter
2012-11-03, 08:34 AM
I will go to the temples and shrines and study them.

[roll0] Knowledge (Religion)

Rizban
2012-11-07, 11:50 PM
The first temple you approach is dedicated to Leph, a goddess of fertility.

A young man whose head is completely shaven, even the eyebrows, dressed in bright green robes approaches you as you enter the temple.

"Greetings! Welcome to the temple of Leph. How might I assist you?"

Zerter
2012-11-08, 05:00 AM
"I was curious about Leph and the religion surrounding her, can you tell me more about it?"

Rizban
2012-11-09, 02:12 AM
Leph, the Goddess of Fertility, is surprisingly plain, with ivory skin, long, flowing black hair, and eyes the color of new-forged copper. She is very short and slightly plump, and rarely laughs. She usually wears armor dyed bright green.
She is also associated with passion. She is often worshiped by warriors. Her few, but dedicated followers can be primarily distinguished by the shrines in their homes. There are many myths involving her duels with Elealyon. She is the sister of Kaendo.

Zerter
2012-11-09, 05:05 AM
"Interesting. Can you tell me more about this Elealyon and Kaendo so I can but her in context better?"

Rizban
2012-11-09, 06:11 AM
Elealyon is the Goddess of Justice, but she metes out judgement without mercy. Though being sisters, Leph and Elealyon are not much alike.

Kaendo, the God of Holidays, is beautiful beyond compare. He is the brother of Leph yet the father of Elealyon, Leph's sister. How that works is something you would have to ask a priest of Kaendo. He is known to require his followers to perform very elaborate rights to commemorate numerous days throughout the year.

Zerter
2012-11-09, 06:18 AM
"Interesting. So what is it that you actually do at this temple? Given that it's not a shrine there must be some activity here. Does Leph command a lot of followers? And what kind of rituals does your religion have?"

Rizban
2012-11-09, 04:25 PM
"This temple is quite small, as Leph is not well known or worshiped in Aldhaven. We hold services and rites here to honor Leph, but the specifics of those rites are secrets of the faith."

Zerter
2012-11-10, 04:54 AM
"Aw c'mon, tell me something! It's hard to sell a religion when you can't tell people what it's all about. It's not like it can hurt to share."

Rizban
2012-11-12, 07:04 AM
His brows sink forward as he becomes obviously offended by your prying.

"Actually, yes, it could hurt quite a bit, for the one who asks and for the one who reveals."

Zerter
2012-11-12, 11:36 AM
"Ow okay, I did not realize it were those kind of secrets. My apologies for prying! Still, if you don't mind me asking, is it not part of the idea behind a religion to attract followers, and if that's the case, what are the selling points of Leph that you can make?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 01:01 PM
He seems a bit mollified.

"Well, Leph is a fertility goddess, and all that entails, if you get my meaning. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I)"

Zerter
2012-11-12, 01:03 PM
"Well, if you put it that way... How does one become a secret of the faith?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 02:04 PM
"To become an initiate, you must put away all worldly possessions, shave all your body hair, and spend three months in service and meditation performing various rite of passage."

Zerter
2012-11-12, 02:46 PM
"When you say put away, you mean like, put away in storage to retrieve at a later point?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 02:55 PM
He frowns, "Well, I suppose you could, technically. The holy writs are not clear whether they must simply be set aside or be sacrificed. There is some contention among the various sects concerning that. I'm of the belief that all should be sacrificed to Leph or given to help the poor during the initiation. After which, you're permitted to accrue physical wealth once more. I believe that it's symbolic of the death and rebirth of the world each winter."

Zerter
2012-11-12, 03:52 PM
"Well, count me very interested! How would I begin?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:29 PM
"Well, see, it's like this. We only take new initiates on the night of the new moon. That's just nine days away. Until then, you can definitely start praying and purifying your spirit of base worldly desires, asking Leph to guide you toward holy fulfillment. I can give you a prayer book with some simple prayers to get you started. When the time comes, be here at just before dusk to begin the rites of entry."

Zerter
2012-11-12, 04:34 PM
"I would certainly appreciate any guidance! Uhm... sir? And believe me when I say I have plenty of worldly desires to purge from my system!."

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:42 PM
"I see... and it's "ma'am," actually. Here's your prayer book. I suggest you get started immediately."

She reaches into her robe and produces a small, green book, which she hands to you. After you take it, she says, "I really ought to return to my other duties. I hope to see you in just over a week."

Zerter
2012-11-12, 04:46 PM
Does she look like a man? Since you used him before.

Yes madam! I'll get out your hair. Uh... figuratively I mean.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:51 PM
With no hair of any kind and baggy robes, she's fairly androgynous. I figured that your character was looking for a "priest" rather than a "priestess," and so he assumed she was male.

She goes back inside without another word, closing the door behind her.

Zerter
2012-11-12, 04:52 PM
Makes sense!

I will study the book thoroughly. Right now!

Rizban
2012-11-12, 05:36 PM
There doesn't appear to be any additional information in the book about Leph beyond what the priestess has already told you. The prayers contained within seem intended for children. They are very simple and straightforward, asking for generic blessings, good things, and peace as well as Leph's will being done across the whole world.

Zerter
2012-11-13, 09:52 AM
Well, having to kill time for the next nine days, I suddenly remember something the town crier said and head to Sunderham's Imports in the Plaza.

Rizban
2012-11-13, 10:35 PM
You enter the shop to find it stocked primarily with spices and fragrant woods, oils and extracts, and a number of curiously carved statuettes. A man at the counter looks up at you over his reading glasses as you enter but says nothing. An open book lies on the counter in front of him.

Zerter
2012-11-14, 03:04 AM
I'll check the book.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 05:17 AM
It's a large, leather bound volume with the unusual feature of having printed text. As you approach it, he closes it and pulls it back away from you. He seems quite petulant.

"May I help you?"

Zerter
2012-11-14, 06:08 AM
I bow my head to greet the stranger, "Ah yes. I was looking for the one known as Cassatta. The town crier mentioned something about individual or team of strong character and sharp mind needed to recover stolen item. And I was looking to put my sharp mind to good use for once."

Rizban
2012-11-14, 06:16 AM
"This is just the storefront for Sunderham's. Our main office is in the Docks, next to Pier 2. You can find Cassatta there."

He looks at his book longingly then back at you irritatedly. You think he wants you to leave.

Zerter
2012-11-14, 06:17 AM
"Thank you good man!" I will check outside to make sure it's daylight with no clouds whatsoever. Then I put on my cloak to make me look like the kind of mysterious cloaked guy that could very well be on your side if you are a evil bastard of any kind. Then I head... TO THE DOCKS!

Rizban
2012-11-14, 06:19 AM
You reach a large gatehouse in the city's outer wall, known as Rivergate. It stands open. On the other side, you can see the great river rushing by with a stone causeway built into it just inches above water level, the river flowing through channels under and through the stone. The Fortress is built on a large island in the middle of the causeway.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond this gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. A shudder sneaks its way down your back.

Zerter
2012-11-14, 06:21 AM
Mommy... I study the way the river flows and take some time to study the gatehouse and fortress. I then head to the docks, trying to look like I belong.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 06:25 AM
The water appears to be clean and clear with only minor detritus from the city finding its way into it. A knowledge check is necessary for more detailed information.

As you cross King's Causeway, you reach the large gatehouse on the far end of the bridge. No fewer than eighteen heavily armed guards stand at the gate. One of the guards stops you.

"Hold on a moment. What's your business in the Docks?"

Zerter
2012-11-14, 06:28 AM
"Greetings, I am heading to Sunderham's main office, next to pier 2. An individual there has requested expert assistance in the retrieval of an object. Might I ask why the docks seem to be guarded so heavily?"

Rizban
2012-11-14, 06:34 AM
"Oi! Johann! We've got another one! Fourth one today! When are we going to make the crier stop with that message?

Look, I can't stop you, but it's just not safe! I really recommend you look for work elsewhere."

Zerter
2012-11-14, 06:37 AM
"Look, I am anything if not stubborn. Stupid might be a better description actually. So I am going in! However, would you mind terribly to give me information about the dangers beyond these walls, so I might, however minimally, increase my chances of survival?"

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:23 AM
"People, especially humans, just tend to die. A lot. Can't say for sure why, but the shadows seem to like humans best, but they'll take anyone. Once the shadows take you, you're never seen again. Oh, we'll find a piece here and a piece there, but that's about it.

On top of that, there's the Blue Hand Clan hobgoblins mucking about and several thug gangs fighting it out in the area. It's a real mess."

Zerter
2012-11-14, 07:28 AM
"Let me ask you this, and if the question is too politically loaded, just give me a subtle signal, why isn't there simply an army raised to clean the docks? It seems to me there is plenty of firepower on the side of the wall I am coming from to take care of any thugs."

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:33 AM
Another guard, apparently Johann, answers.

"It isn't that we can't, it's that we don't.m= See, all the people who wanted out are out. Those that stay or go in know what they're getting into. With all the powerful factions vying for power in there, it was decided that, rather than lose the lives of valuable citizens, particularly those of the Watch, we would just wait it out. Let them beat each other senseless for awhile, weaken themselves, then we'll go in and clean everything up once they're down. Until then, we're just here to make sure the violence doesn't spill across the river.

If you want to take a crack at fixing things yourself, you're welcome to it. Just don't come crawling to me when you wind up dead."

Zerter
2012-11-14, 07:38 AM
"I would not mind contributing. Is there anyone that deals with this problem specifically? Other than that, I am going in to talk to Cassatta and I'll get out as soon as possible. Can you give me instructions on how to get to pier 2?"

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:43 AM
"That's all I really know. I mean, you could talk to the Watch Captain or maybe one of the Lieutenants. They'll have more information.

Pier 2 is part of the first dock you find. Take the first side road that bends towards the river and stand out of the shadows. Sunderham's should be right there just before you get to the dock. Good luck to you. You'll need it."

Zerter
2012-11-14, 07:45 AM
"Thanks a lot! If I reach the afterlife beyond these gates, I'll put in a good word and tell them you tried to warn me when they weigh my soul."

I put on my best mysterious cloaked figured disguise and head into... THE DOCKS.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 08:43 AM
You pass through the gate and make it to the first intersection before you're stopped by four massive looking hobgoblins who look ready for a fight.

"What you do here?"

Zerter
2012-11-14, 08:52 AM
I adress them in Goblin, "I belong here, obviously. What do you think? That I am some stupid commoner here for a quest? Would you mind terribly to move out of my way? I have important business, and I hate to be late."

Disguise so they can't see my race other than that I am a mysterious, cloaked individual. There's a touch of a threat there, but I'll go for diplomacy right now to bring this message across.

EDIT: Actually. Lets also go for a Hobgoblin look in case they do manage to peak under my cloak.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 09:07 AM
You'll need to actually roll a skill check if you want to use Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate.

Zerter
2012-11-14, 09:15 AM
Ow right, that makes sense :smallsmile:. I'll roll all three since there's a little bit of all three in what I said.

[roll0] Bluff
[roll1] Intimidate
[roll2] Diplomacy

Rizban
2012-11-14, 09:17 AM
Well, you can only use one at a time, so I'll just go with Bluff, as that seems most appropriate to the lie you're attempting.They move toward you to surround you. The leader reaches for your hood.

Zerter
2012-11-14, 09:21 AM
I take a step toward him and take of the hood myself, revealing that I am in fact a hobgoblin with, if present, paint and such matching his and his friends.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 10:44 AM
How are you replicating paint?

Zerter
2012-11-14, 10:50 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Disguise_self

"You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person."

This seems to include the ability to add body paint, tattoos and stuff like that. Nothing on clothing or other equipment mind you, just on my body and only to the extent that I am pretty sure it's helpful.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't normally interpret it that way, but that's good enough for this encounter.He jerks back your hood, looks at you for a moment, then says, "Bah! Let's go."

The four of them turn and leave.

Zerter
2012-11-15, 08:42 AM
Given my character I would like exact limitations of what I can do with that ability. I could have accepted being made in that encounter for various reasons, but I would very much dislike doing so because we interpret a rule different.

I can feel my heart pounding in my neck and want to turn back. The docks are too dangerous for me. But I made it this far so I'll go on for now. I do vow to not return if I make it out, not unless the place is cleaned up anyway.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 06:10 PM
I interpret the racial variant as being able to adjust only your body itself. I'll allow some simple markings by changing the skin color. Things like paint or things that should obviously be on the surface of the skin rather than part of the skin can be mimicked, but close examination of the marking will reveal it to be false.

In this encounter, you were able to produce a blue splotch on your face in the shape of a hand that matched theirs. However, it would have been obvious to have been part of your skin should they have examined it closely. Does that make sense?Following the guard's directions precisely, you find Sunderham's without further incident. Sunderham's Imports is a small wooden building built over the water on piers, standing about six feet above the water.

Zerter
2012-11-16, 03:19 AM
Yeah, that's how I imagined it :D

I make sure to assume normal form under my cloak and look for a way to enter. I also take in the surroundings first.

Rizban
2012-11-16, 06:13 AM
The other buildings in this area are made out of similarly cheap wood. You get chills again, and you would almost swear you saw that shadow move...

Zerter
2012-11-16, 06:47 AM
I keep an eye on that shadow..., carefully moving with every step. Then I enter the building.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:13 PM
Sunderham's Imports is a small wooden building built over the water on piers, standing about six feet above the water. The interior looks like little more than a warehouse with several rows of shelves stocked with various goods. It appears that the most common items are foreign spices and fine silks. A tall blond woman with curly hair and a slender build looks up from the paperwork on her desk.

"Hi there!"

Zerter
2012-11-17, 04:54 PM
"Well, hi there." I make myself look as good as possible, utilizing my effective charisma score of +6 and my ability to look as anything I want. I try to gage what she would like me to look like, something that says I am rugged and manly, but also that I care. I also make sure I am tall enough that she can imagine standing next to me in high heels.

I then drop the top of my cloak on my shoulders and greet her with a big smile.

"I was looking for Cassatta, on a mission to fulfill a quest! I do hope that I was looking for you!"

This (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Captain_Zapp_Brannigan.png) is not what my character is going for, but probably what he ends up looking like.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:15 PM
Her smile vanishes.

"Oh, her. Wait over there with that guy. She'll talk to you in a minute, I'm sure."

Team up thread (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14240661#post14240661).

Zerter
2012-11-17, 06:20 PM
[roll0] Sense Motive: What motivates her to say OH HER like that.

"No problem, after dealing with her I'll maybe come back and see if you need any quests done!"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:22 PM
Her smile vanishes.

"Oh, her. Wait over there with that guy. She'll talk to you in a minute, I'm sure."

Team up thread (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14240661#post14240661).

Please post this conversation there.