PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4e] Heroes for Hire (Level 1: The Zombie King)



Camelot
2012-10-22, 09:06 AM
Five adventurers have been sent to the village of Graybluff to investigate claims that the dead are walking at night. According to your information, zombies have been seen at night. Nobody has been attacked yet, but the villagers have sent for help preemptively.

Upon arriving, you are greeted by the mayor. He is a thin old man who clearly retired to a position of politics after living most of his life as a shepherd, which most men in Graybluff are. After profusely thanking you for coming, he asks if you have any questions before heading out to the mountain where the zombies were seen. You also now have the chance to get information from the other villagers.

We begin with a skill challenge! Describe what you want to do and make whatever skill check you deem most appropriate; depending on the result, I will describe what happens. Remember, using the same skill too often makes it harder to succeed with it.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-22, 09:20 AM
Kinarron Hawkcrown, the eladrin bladesinger, stands in the corner silent and aloof; he's not much of a people person. He is, however, keeping an eye out for things out for secrets and hidden things.

Bleh, didn't even think of social situations when I made my character. He's about as socially inept as a half-orc barbarian in 3.5e.

All I can do is make a perception check:
[roll0]

Anyway, looking forward to slaughtering some zombies (pity I didn't pick the radiant bladespell, but it's not particularly amazing).

Leewei
2012-10-22, 09:40 AM
Luar looks among the villagers, seeking and holding their attention. To the assembly, he begins to speak, his demeanor both calm and stern.

"Well met, good people of Graybluff! I will be brief so that we can get to work. Undead are almost always bad news for the living. Anything you might tell us about these dead and their origins will be helpful in ending this situation."Diplomacy: [roll0]

If the roll is under 15, Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes: to increase it by [roll1]

Edit: 24 is acceptable. :smallsmile:

MiketheMountain
2012-10-22, 02:56 PM
Seregruin - Monk
Standing beside Luar is a an ashen-skinned Tiefling in a singed cloth robe the colour of a near-dead coal ember. Arms crossed within his sleeves, Seregruin closely examines the mayor, looking for any hints of deception or information being withheld.

Insight: [roll0]

OOC: I'll claim DarkRed for Seregruin's speech.

Character Sheet for future reference:

Myth-Weavers Character Sheet Link (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429736)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Seregruin, level 1
Revenant, Monk
Build: Iron Soul Monk
Monastic Tradition Option: Desert Wind
Choose your Race in Life: Tiefling
On the Run from the Devil (On the Run from the Devil Benefit)
Theme: Devil's Pawn

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 14


AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 15 Will: 14
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +9, Insight +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana 1, Athletics +0, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History 1, Intimidate +5, Nature +1, Perception +2, Religion 1, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Devil's Pawn Attack: Hellfire and Brimstone
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Monk Feature: Desert Wind Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Blistering Flourish
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Monk Attack 1: Light the Fire
Monk Attack 1: Risen Sun

FEATS
Level 1: Slashing Kama Style

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike
Dagger
Sickle x1
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
Potion of Healing
Adventurer's Kit
====== End ======

Camelot
2012-10-22, 06:31 PM
Kinarron doesn't see much of interest about the mayor, the villagers, or anything in Graybluff. However, he looks out at the mountain that looms over the village and notices that there are several caves dotting its side.

At Luar's words, a burly hunter steps forward. "After the first sightin's, I took my men to explore the bluff. At the time, we thought they was just strangers, maybe bandits. We found some at night and realized that they was the livin' dead, and we ran straight away back to town. They must not 'ave seen us, for they did not give chase, thank the gods of goodness."

Seregruin does not notice any signs that the mayor is withholding information.

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-23, 09:05 AM
Turinus folds her arms and looks down her nose at the burly hunter. "Guess a strong guy like you would run at the first sign of trouble. Did you learn anything useful before running like a hatchling?" She bares her sharp teeth at the hunter.

[roll0]

Stats:
AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 11 Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 5

Camelot
2012-10-23, 10:41 AM
The hunter's face turns stony. "As if you've ever faced a zombie without fear rushin' through your entire body. If we 'adn't run, nobody 'ere would know about them!" He shoves his way out of the crowd, which begins to disperse as everyone returns to their homes.

The mayor turns to you with a forced grin. "Thank you again for your help...Maybe it's time for you to head out to the mountain?" He is clearly not used to adventurers being in the village, and hopes that everything will simply return to normal as soon as you destroy the undead. He adds, "I'll have your payment ready if...er, when you return."

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-23, 11:36 AM
I'll claim this Dark Orangeto be Kinarron's speech and thought.
I have also decided ahead of time that since his charisma is fairly low for a fancy elf, he's going to be a posh git, so be warned (or amused, it's up to you).

The elfin figure in the corner is obviously looking more bored by the minute as the hunter tells his tale and argues with the dragonborn. "Are we done yet, do you think? Can we go now?" he says, edging towards the door. "Oh, and... er..." - here he turns to the mayor for a moment - "...try to wash the coins, will you? I... er... yes. Just wash them."

Humans... he thinks to himself. Who'd want them?

MiketheMountain
2012-10-23, 12:10 PM
Seregruin - Monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429736)As the crowd thins out, Seregruin turns and walks back towards Kinarron to regroup with the rest of the party.

Thinking on the hunter's words, Seregruin tries to recall if he has been to the bluff the townsfolk explored. With a shrug, he looks around at the rest of the group, "Any of you know anything about this area?"

Nature: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-10-23, 04:46 PM
After the group heads out of the village and begins hiking up the mountain, Seregruin notices that the soil should be very fertile, but for some reason very few plants grow in the area. The dirt is a dull gray color, the trees are withered and leafless, yet there are very few rocks and the ground is the perfect consistency for farming. He turns his head to look back at the town and notes the green pastures on the other side of the village where the villagers keep herds of sheep.

Leewei
2012-10-23, 05:10 PM
Looking around, the paladin shows some concern. "The blight upon these lands may well be a curse," he notes.

Could it be?
Religion: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-10-23, 10:06 PM
Indeed, when Seregruin shares his information with the rest of the group, Luar recognizes it as unholy magic. It seems that whatever the source of these zombies is drawing its power from the land, resulting in the wasteland that you see around you.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-23, 11:03 PM
"So... what you're saying is if we find the source of the undead, we find the source of this blight. Seems simple enough. And then we destroy it." Kinarron shrugs, unconcerned.

Didn't actually mean I was leaving, but oh well. I'm sure we'll do fine without the information we would have gotten from that skill challenge :smallbiggrin: *cough*soon-to-be-famous last words *cough*

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-24, 12:17 AM
Turinus seems unconcerned at the information the group has come across. "What did you expect to find when we were chasing zombies? A health spa? Of course the land is blighted, the dead have risen up to walk the world again." Her quick, reptilian eyes dart around, looking for any signs of trouble, fingers brushing the fletchings of arrows in her quiver. She tries to remember any of the history of the area, particularly anything about those caves or the history of the city.


I think I ruined our chances for info with that failed intimidate check anyhow.

[roll0]


Character sheet for reference: ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Turinus, level 1
Dragonborn, Warlord
Build: Tactical Warlord
Warlord: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Acid

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 8, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 8, Cha 11.


AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +4, Intimidate +8, Athletics +8, Diplomacy +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana +3, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering -1, Heal -1, History +5, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion +3, Stealth -1, Streetwise +1, Thievery -1

FEATS
Level 1: Hurl Breath

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Paint the Bulls-Eye
Warlord at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord daily 1: Inspiring Shot

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Longbow, Greataxe
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

MiketheMountain
2012-10-24, 09:44 AM
OOC:
I wouldn't over-think the skill challenge at this point. We don't know if there was much more to get out of the townfolk (especially since I blew my Insight check as well :smallyuk:), and there may still be more involved. We haven't found these things yet...

Camelot
2012-10-24, 01:54 PM
Turinus recalls that the village of Greybluff got it's name from the dead, gray soil of the nearby mountain. The village has been around for over one hundred years, but nobody has ever explored the mountain due to superstitions surrounding the reasons why the dirt is gray.

At this point, you find one of the caves that dot the bluff. The dirt turns into stone at the lip of the tunnel, and rivulets of rainwater drip downward into the mountain.

Leewei
2012-10-24, 02:22 PM
Turning to the other adventurers, Luar says, "Well friends, it is now time to show our mettle."

Smiling at his pun, the paladin draws his sword and moves to the entry. Once others indicate readiness, he leads the way inside.

Someone needs to produce light. Luar is willing to do so, assuming he can get away with tucking a sunrod into his belt. (He's a sword and board sort of guy.)

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-24, 08:17 PM
"Well, one cave I suppose is as good as any other," Kinarron says, scratching at the dirt with one boot. "Lead on, my friend. Lead on."

He draws his longbow and follows right behind Luar into the darkness.

MiketheMountain
2012-10-24, 08:39 PM
Seregruin - Monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429736)
Seregruin takes a deep breath, tries his best to calm his nerves (or at least not let them show), and closes his eyes, listening intently at the mouth of the cave for any sounds from within.

Perception: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-10-24, 10:22 PM
Seregruin hears the dripping of water, and deep down a branch of the tunnel, the soft splish, splash of a puddle. Then he hears it, very faint, but definitely there: a moan.

However, traveling through the cave is not easy. The tunnel branches in many twists and turns, and everything is caked with cave slime, making slipping easy.

MiketheMountain
2012-10-24, 10:45 PM
Seregruin - Revenant Monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429736)With a faint whisper, the monk warns his allies. "Noise up ahead... I think we're in the right place. Be ready."

Seregruin draws a sickle and dagger from his belt and steps to the side wall, trying to move quietly in hopes that he sees whatever is there before it sees him.

Stealth: [roll0]

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-24, 10:49 PM
"I'm with you."

Kinarron nocks an arrow to his bow, and checks that his rapier is accessible for easy and quick drawing, then follows Seregruin into the darkness.

Stealth: [roll0]

EDIT: Well there go our chances of sneaking up on them.

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-24, 10:50 PM
Turinus keeps her eyes open, bow at the ready. Whatever was ahead, she wanted to be ready for it.

MiketheMountain
2012-10-24, 10:57 PM
OOC:

EDIT: Well there go our chances of sneaking up on them.
Yeah, I'm picturing the two of us deciding to sneak off into the darkness and walking face-first into each other... :smallredface: Oh well, maybe whatever's up ahead isn't that perceptive.

Leewei
2012-10-25, 05:29 PM
The paladin winces a bit in sympathy with the scouts. Looking about, he attempts to discern the best way forward.

Dungeoneering: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-10-26, 12:45 AM
Luar helps guide the group through the tunnels safely, while everyone attempts to sneak up on whatever creeps ahead.

Can everyone else also make a Stealth check for a group check? You need an 8 or more, so you only need 2 more successes for the group check to succeed.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-26, 12:55 AM
We... succeeded. Despite apparently running full tilt into each other in the darkness. I mean, we were surely making enough noise to wake the dead (ho-ho-ho)!

Leewei
2012-10-26, 07:11 AM
Here's to sneaking up on zombies.

Stealth: [roll0]

MiketheMountain
2012-10-26, 09:39 AM
OOC:
Of COURSE the heavy-armored Paladin would ace his stealth roll while the super-agile clothy monk stubs his toe on a rock and drops his weapon... :tongue: Just need one more success.

Hey, has anyone heard from our Wizard? Cilvyn hasn't posted once yet.

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-26, 11:28 AM
here is hoping for a good roll
[roll0]

Camelot
2012-10-27, 06:16 AM
Cilvyn has dropped out of the game, so before combat starts, I'm going to see if we can get one more player who's interested. If nobody joins in a couple days, we'll just continue with 4. Don't go anywhere!

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-28, 08:59 AM
So... How will Talfen appear? I'm hoping that there will be a loud shlapping sound and Talfen will appear slightly dazed right where Leah was standing moments ago.

Or less interestingly we could pretend he'd been there all along.

MiketheMountain
2012-10-28, 09:42 AM
Maybe Talfen was pretending to be Leah all along?

Or maybe everyone in the group actually has multiple personalities! That would allow us to swap characters or players any time with minimal, but possibly hilarious, explanation.

Camelot
2012-10-29, 10:43 AM
Haha, shlapping sounds good. However Talfen wants to appear he may.

If I haven't explained combat before, I shall do so now. I will normally roll initiative for everybody, and the group with the highest score goes first (the groups being the players and the enemies).

In this case, since you have surprise, you automatically go first, and you all have combat advantage, but I'm houseruling surprise rounds. After you all take your surprise actions, the monsters get to act normally and play proceeds normally. You do not get an extra round of acting. Also, don't forget to double your damage!

Remember, if you do not post every day, your turn will be skipped.

The moaning grows louder. You see ahead that the tunnel drops into a cavern, as if you are coming onto a balcony. The drop is ten feet down, but it looks fairly easy to climb. In the cavern ahead, you see the zombies that the villagers spoke of, shuffling around in the puddles. They do not seem to have noticed you.

MAP.X.X.X.X.m. . . . .X.X.
.X.X. .m.m.m.X.X.u.X.X.
. .Lu .X.m.m. .Z2 .m.m.
.TuSe . .m.X.X.X.X.u.u.
.KiTa .Z1 .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.m. . .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m. . .u.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.m.m. .X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.X.X. . .u.X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X. . . .X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X. .u.X.

I know this isn't the best way to make a map, but it's the best I can do.

Lu = Luar
Tu = Turinus
Se = Seregruin
Ki = Kinarron
Ta = Talfen
Z# = Zombie

m = mud, difficult terrain
u = undiscovered area (you can see that there is more cavern here, but you cannot see what is there yet)

Since you're in a cave, you can cut corners when moving.
To climb down you must make an Athletics check and get an 8 or higher! If you fail, you take 1d10 damage. Ranged characters can fire from up there though.

MiketheMountain
2012-10-29, 11:01 AM
Questions for Camelot:A couple questions to make sure I understand your house rule and your map:

When you say we get a "surprise round", we get to go first and get CA, do we get a full round of actions (move, minor, standard), or just a single action?
In your map, the "m" is mud, "u" is unknown; I assume that "X" is just regular flat ground? What about the blank spaces, like the spots on either side of Z2, or almost all squares around Z1?

OOC:
Tactically speaking, I'm going to have Seregruin wait until a couple ranged attacks have softened these things up before jumping in. If anyone is able to move the creatures closer together, Monks tend to do best when they can spread their damage around a bit.

Leewei
2012-10-29, 11:41 AM
Seeing the zombie lurching toward his companions, Luar interposes himself and swings at the creature with his longsword.

Move: Shift one as shown below.
Standard: Bolstering Strike on Z1 [roll0] Edit +2 for CA = 17 vs AC for [roll1] damage, and gaining Wis (+4) THP.
Minor: Divine Challenge to Z1. (Mark it and 7 Radiant damage the next time it attacks a PC that isn't Luar.)

.X.X.X.X.m. . . . .X.X.
.X.X. .m.m.m.X.X.u.X.X.
. . . .X.m.m. .Z2 .m.m.
.TuSeLu .m.X.X.X.X.u.u.
.KiTa .Z1 .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.m. . .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m. . .u.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.m.m. .X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.X.X. . .u.X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X. . . .X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X. .u.X.

Hircine
2012-10-29, 12:40 PM
Ooc: unfortunately hurricane sandy has caused my power to flicker on and off for the last few hours. I have taken my computer offline for the time being and probably won't be able to put up a proper post for a couple of days. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 03:53 AM
Seeing the proximity of his targets, Kinarron drops his bow, flickers past his comrades as he draws his rapier, attempting to strike the zombie as part of the motion. A twist of his left hand and the other zombie is buffeted by a wave of force that pushes it towards the group.

Won't usually do this, but with all the actions I'm taking I'll detail them:

Free Action: Drop held items
Move Action: Fey Step
Minor Action: Draw Rapier
Standard Action: MBA at Z1 Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] EDIT, forgot to double this damage.
No Action if MBA hits: Unseen Hand at Z2, 6 damage, slides three squares west.

The map's a little confusing, I'll take a look and see if there's any easier solutions I can find for you to make a map.

MAP:
If the attack doesn't hit:


.X.X.X.X.m. . . . .X.X.
.X.X. .m.m.m.X.X.u.X.X.
. . . .X.m.m. .Z2 .m.m.
.TuSeLu .m.X.X.X.X.u.u.
. .TaKiZ1 .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.m. . .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m. . .u.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.m.m. .X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.X.X. . .u.X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X. . . .X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X. .u.X.

If the attack does hit:

.X.X.X.X.m. . . . .X.X.
.X.X. .m.m.m.X.X.u.X.X.
. . . .X.mZ2. . . .m.m.
.TuSeLu .m.X.X.X.X.u.u.
. .TaKiZ1 .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.m. . .X.X.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m. . .u.X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.m.m. .X.X.X.X.
.X.X.X.m.X.X. . .u.X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X. . . .X.X.
.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X. .u.X.

I think I got that right.

Camelot
2012-10-30, 10:13 AM
1. Yes, everyone gets a full set of actions.
2. Actually, the blank squares are the regular ground, and the Xs are blocking terrain (the walls of the cavern, large stalagmites).

Also, nobody has made Athletics checks, so I will do so for those of you who just tried to jump down 10 feet. Sorry this wasn't clearer on the map.

Luar: [roll0] (if fumble or lower than 8: [roll1] damage)
Kinarron: [roll2] (if fumble or lower than 8: [roll3] damage)

The zombies have no idea what is happening, and are not yet even ready to react to their attackers. However, Luar and Kinarron can now see deeper into the cavern.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 10:20 AM
I used Fey Step to teleport down, but my roll is moot anyway. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Poor Luar.

Camelot
2012-10-30, 10:24 AM
I used Fey Step to teleport down, but my roll is moot anyway. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Poor Luar.
You're right, I forgot that. Yes, our defender is not in good shape, 4 remaining hit points!

Updated map, using Leewei's suggestion to use a table:

{TABLE=head] |_A|_B|_C|_D|_E|_F|_G|_H|_I|_J|_K
1|##|##|##|##|mud| | | | |##|##
2|##|##| |mud|mud|mud|##|##| |##|##
3|+10|+10| |##|Z2|mud| | | |mud|mud
4|Tu|Se|Lu| |mud|##|##|##|##|??|??
5|+10|Ta|Ki|Z1| |##|##|##|##|##|##
6|##|##|mud| | |##|##|##|##|##|##
7|##|##|##|mud| | | | |??|##|##
8|##|##|##|mud|mud|mud| |##|mud|##|##
9|##|##|##|mud|##|##| | |mud|##|##
10|##|##|##|##|##|##| | | |##|##
11|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##| | |##
12|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|??|##
[/TABLE]

Leewei
2012-10-30, 10:34 AM
PM sent to Camelot. Luar will trigger his Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes to add to the athletics roll +[roll0]. With luck, he'll be okay (Edit: Nope, not okay, but read on.). Given the hit point rules in play, wild swings in hit point totals are expected to happen often, so I'm not particularly concerned. In fact, I optimized in this direction. If Luar is KO'd for some reason, he gains a +2 to attack and damage rolls for the remainder of the encounter.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 10:40 AM
I guess the defender role could easily be the hardest to take... I don't think I'm looking forward to it, to be honest (assuming we exchange roles semi-regularly, I at least will probably do so even to be a defender :smallwink:)

Leewei
2012-10-30, 10:45 AM
OOC:I'm planning to get a bunch of feats and powers that generate good amounts of Resist All and THP. We'll see how it works out.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 11:56 AM
Mapwise, we have a few options:
Leewei's adapted the Endless Dungeon and made a table version of the map which is somewhat easier to read:

{TABLE=head]__|_A|_B|_C|_D|_E|_F|_G|_H|_I|_J|_K
1|##|##|##|##|mud|__|__|__|__|##|##
2|##|##|__|mud|mud|mud|##|##|??|##|##
3|__|__|__|##|Z2|mud|__|__|__|mud|mud
4|Tu|Se|Lu|__|mud|##|##|##|##|??|??
5|__|Ta|Ki|Z1|__|##|##|##|##|##|##
6|##|##|mud|__|__|##|##|##|##|##|##
7|##|##|##|mud|__|__|??|##|##|##|##
8|##|##|##|mud|mud|mud|__|##|##|##|##
9|##|##|##|mud|##|##|__|__|??|##|##
10|##|##|##|##|##|##|__|__|__|##|##
11|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|__|??|##
[/TABLE]

On the other hand, I remembered a DM who just a little while ago (the game never got off the ground) used this tool to draw maps and move tokens around. I tried to create a copy of the current map, but I wasn't 100% on where the ledge was and I probably could have done better in choosing the tiles to represent each different floor, but hey; you probably want to redo it yourself as it isn't particularly hard. Anyway, take a look (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=16323).

Don't know whether these are more work than you want, Camelot, but with a little tinkering and practise they are both quite easy to use. That map took me a minute or two to make after I'd played around with the tool for a little while.

EDIT:

OOC:I'm planning to get a bunch of feats and powers that generate good amounts of Resist All and THP. We'll see how it works out.

If you survive this :smallwink: I'm thinking, when I'm a leader, that I might be an ardent and take Energizing Strike for the free Cha mod + half/level THP at-will if I hit. Totally not exploiting anything at all.

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-30, 07:52 PM
Turinus sighs as her comrade falls down the slight cliff, and badly hurts himself. "Dust yourself off, there, you're fine." She says in a hushed whisper, and steps to the side (moving down one square on the map). Knowing this will be her only chance to use her dragon breath, she looses it in a ranged burst of acid.

Minor: Inspiring Word on Luar, he regains surge plus [roll0] hp
Move: Shift 5ft to the "south" of the map
Standard: Hurl Breath on the square "south" of z2.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] x2 = 4 damage

Leewei
2012-10-30, 09:44 PM
Luar sets his jaw, then readies himself for the Zombies' assault.

Surge (7) + 2 = 9hp.
HP:13/14 (+4thp) HS:10/11

Turinus's breath damage should be doubled, by the way.

MiketheMountain
2012-10-30, 10:08 PM
Seregruin - Revenant Monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429736)Seregruin's eyes shift from white to a deep red as he sees the undead creatures shamble about in the darkness. Jumping down between the two creatures, he lashes out with a kick that leaves a trail of flame flickering in the darkness.

Move Action: Move up to B3 and jump to D4
-Acrobatics: [roll0]
Standard Action: Blistering Flourish against Z1
-Attack vs Reflex: [roll1]
-Damage: [roll2] (x2 = 14 fire damage)

EDIT: I forgot to include Combat Advantage. If 13 vs Reflex hits, then Flurry of Blows and the subsequent shift takes place.

Flurry of Blows against Z2
- Ongoing 16 fire damage
- -2 penalty to attack rolls that include Seregruin until the end of my next turn
- Shift to C3

Camelot
2012-10-31, 07:51 PM
Turinus's acid burns through both zombies, [roll0] doing enough damage to destroy the first zombie. As such, Seregruin would probably attack the second zombie instead, shredding off some of its rotten flesh. It lets out a deep growl.

Seregruin, the ongoing damage from your feat would only be 5, equal to the amount of damage it would have dealt. Since Z1 was killed, however, there is only Z2 as a target anyway, so I'll let the attack be made against it.

MAP
The underlined spaces are +10 feet above the rest, the area where you started. The blank spaces are normal spaces, the .. now represents the mud so that it's easier to see the map, and the ## represent cave walls that you cannot go through.
{TABLE=head] |_A|_B|_C|_D|_E|_F|_G|_H|_I|_J|_K
1|##|##|##|##|..| | | | |##|##
2|##|##| |..|..|..|##|##| |##|##
3|_|_| |##|Z2|..| | | |..|..
4|_|_|Lu|Se|..|##|##|##|##|??|??
5|Tu|Ta|Ki| | |##|##|##|##|##|##
6|##|##|..| | |##|##|##|##|##|##
7|##|##|##|..| | | | |??|##|##
8|##|##|##|..|..|..| |##|..|##|##
9|##|##|##|..|##|##| | |..|##|##
10|##|##|##|##|##|##| | | |##|##
11|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##| | |##
12|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|??|##
[/TABLE]

Camelot
2012-10-31, 08:06 PM
The zombie grasps at Seregruin, and you notice four skeletons and two other zombies wander into view from the caverns beyond! The skeletons fire arrows at the group.

Z2 attacks Seregruin with Zombie Grasp:
- Attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex
- Hit: [roll1] damage, and the zombie grabs Seregruin (escape DC 12).

S1 attacks Seregruin with Shortbow:
- Attack: [roll2] vs. AC (cover included)
- Hit: 3 damage

S2 attacks Seregruin with Shortbow:
- Attack: [roll3] vs. AC (cover included)
- Hit: 3 damage

S3 attacks Kinarron with Shortbow:
- Attack: [roll4] vs. AC
- Hit: 3 damage

S4 attacks Kinarron with Shortbow:
- Attack: [roll5] vs. AC (cover included)
- Hit: 3 damage

{TABLE=head] |_A|_B|_C|_D|_E|_F|_G|_H|_I|_J|_K
1|##|##|##|##|..| |S1| | |##|##
2|##|##| |..|..|..|##|##| |##|##
3|_|_| |##|Z2|..|S2| | |..|..
4|_|_|Lu|Se|..|##|##|##|##|??|??
5|Tu|Ta|Ki| | |##|##|##|##|##|##
6|##|##|..| | |##|##|##|##|##|##
7|##|##|##|..| | |S4| |??|##|##
8|##|##|##|..|S3|..|Z3|##|..|##|##
9|##|##|##|..|##|##| | |..|##|##
10|##|##|##|##|##|??| | | |##|##
11|##|##|##|##|##|??|##|##| | |##
12|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|##|??|##
[/TABLE]

MiketheMountain
2012-10-31, 08:41 PM
Seregruin, the ongoing damage from your feat would only be 5, equal to the amount of damage it would have dealt. Since Z1 was killed, however, there is only Z2 as a target anyway, so I'll let the attack be made against it.
If the Blistering Flourish attack was successful, than Seregruin adds his Charisma modifier to any melee fire attacks (which includes the Desert Wind Flurry of Blows) until the end of his next turn. So 5 base plus 3 CHA equals 8 damage, doubled to 16 ongoing? That's kind of my bread-and-butter attack for this character, so please let me know if you don't want it to work this way.

Since Z2 was both the target of the original attack and the FoB attack, the -2 penalty does not apply to his attacks.

Leewei
2012-10-31, 08:43 PM
The deva looks at Seregruin in consternation. "Kill those attacking the monk. I'll hold off those advancing from ahead."

He then advances into the swarm of undead.

Minor: Divine challenge to S3.
Move: Walk to F7.
Free: Ardent Vow on Z3.Effect: The next time you attack the target
before the end of your next turn, you gain a
bonus to the damage roll equal to 5 + your
Wisdom modifier (+4). In addition, whenever you
attack the target before the end of the
encounter, it is subject to your divine sanction
until the end of your next turn.
Special: You can use this power a number of
times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier
(+4) (minimum 1), but only once per round.
Standard: Guardian Light [roll0] vs Z3's AC for [roll]2d8+8 (Edit: botched roll but probably moot.) radiant damage.Guardian Light
Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Attack: Strength or Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength or Charisma modifier
radiant damage. Until the end of your next turn,
you gain a bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
equal to your Wisdom modifier (+4).

Longsword: +7 attack, 1d8+4 damage

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-31, 11:13 PM
Kinarron deftly dodges the first arrow, and feels the second kiss his cheek, but neither strike him. In a swift motion, he raises his right arm, revealing a signet ring; with this he draws a sigil in the air and a gate opens, disgorging a green knight behind the closest skeleton. Meanwhile, Kinarron moves forward and strikes, while with another wave of his hand another skeleton begins to freeze, bones brittle enough to shatter of their own volition.

Minor Action: Summon Sidhe Ally at E9
Move Action: Move to E7
Standard Action: Attack S3 - Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
No Action: Frostbite bladespell on S4, 6 cold damage and target is slowed, only if MBA hits.

EDIT: Forgot to include flanking bonus on the skeleton between me and the knight, but oh well, it seems that I probably hit anyway.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-01, 02:08 AM
Question: When doubling our damage, should we double the amount of dice we roll and add twice the modifiers or roll as normal and double the result?

i.e.

[roll0]
vs
([roll1])x2 = 10

EDIT: When you think about it, the options are quite similar but only the first one allows for odd numbers to appear, and it doesn't require editing after the post. I think I'll probably roll with that one unless you have a preference.

MiketheMountain
2012-11-01, 11:40 AM
Seregruin - Revenant Monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=429736)
---

So I assume Z2 is still alive after taking its 16 (or 8, if you aren't doubling ongoing) ongoing damage at the start of its turn. Don't forget that the ongoing is save ends, but I certainly don't mind if you let him keep burning!

Standard Action: Blistering Flourish against Z2
-Attack vs Reflex: [roll0]
-Damage: [roll1]

Move Action: Acrobatics [roll2] to escape, if successful shift to C3

Action Point: Second Wind

If the attack hits, but Z2 is still alive:
Flurry of Blows, 16 ongoing damage (I don't believe it stacks, so just another 16 damage.)

If it doesn't kill Z2, then Acrobatics [roll3] to escape, if successful shift to C3

If it does kill Z2, then see sequence below.

If Z2 was killed by the ongoing damage at the start of his turn:
Move Action: Move to F7
Minor Action: Hellfire and Brimstone
Effect: Creatures in the burst take 5 10 fire damage. The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. While in the zone, enemies take a -2 penalty to attack rolls and all defenses.

Standard Action: Light the Fire against Z3
-Attack vs Reflex: [roll4]
-Damage: [roll5]
-Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until the start of your next turn. Any enemy that starts its turn in the aura takes fire damage equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier (10).
--If Light the Fire hits, then Flurry of Blows for 16 fire damage (ongoing) to S4
--S4 is -2 to attacks that include Seregruin

*phew* This is why combat trackers are so helpful.

EDIT: Critical miss. Well, that certainly makes things simpler.

tigerusthegreat
2012-11-02, 09:49 PM
Turinus looks at the enemy reinforcements, wishing she had saved her breath until they had shown up. However, it was doubtful she would have been able to hit more than one or two anyway. Stepping to get a clear shot, she aimed a shaft down the caves at the skeletons, and loosed, hoping someone could capitalize on her inspiring shot.

Is there any way we can get HP totals on your updates, Camelot? Helps me to know when to throw a heal.

Move: Shift to B4
Standard: Paint the Bull's Eye against S3 [roll0] [roll1] doubled to 12
Effect: allies gain +3 power bonus to damage rolls against S3

Camelot
2012-11-04, 11:00 AM
Once again, life has got the better of me and I can't find time to deal with game stuff. I apologize profusely for being so predictable, but I gotta bail.

Leewei
2012-11-04, 12:08 PM
Well, then. Nice game, all!

tigerusthegreat
2012-11-04, 12:20 PM
I will take over dming this if nobody minds my character being a dmpc

MiketheMountain
2012-11-04, 12:48 PM
Thanks tigerusthegreat, I'd be interested but only if we add at least a combat tracker of some kind. If this game is going to be so combat-focused, I find it makes things go much more smoothly (as opposed to having to post long "if... then... if not..." or going back and changing things all the time).

Leewei
2012-11-04, 12:54 PM
I'm fine with that. Would you guys be okay with an OOC thread as well?

MiketheMountain
2012-11-04, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I would definitely prefer a separate OOC thread as well.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-04, 08:02 PM
Cool, I'm glad that someone's taking over, but I'm sad to see Camelot go. Perhaps after this adventure I can swap Kinarron out for a Leader and Turinus can retire.

tigerusthegreat
2012-11-05, 10:39 AM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14173621#post14173621)

Is everyone still okay with half hp and double damage? If people would prefer we can go back to standard rules. I will get a combat tracker up today, and a maptools map.

MiketheMountain
2012-11-05, 10:44 AM
Is everyone still okay with half hp and double damage?

I am! I think it will definitely add some spice to the combat.

tigerusthegreat
2012-11-05, 11:52 AM
So, this is how I am going to run this so I don't have to go back through the first partial combat. We're going to act like none of the combat has happened yet. The map shows monsters that you have come up on, and the players will act first. This means everyone and all monsters are at full HP, and have all encounter and daily powers.

i'm having trouble uploading a combat tracker, would someone else mind putting one up?

Did we ever get a fifth player?

Map:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/fight1.png
S1 [A7] Skeleton with a bow
S2 [C7] Skeleton with a bow
Z1 [C5] Zombie unarmed
Z2 [G7] Zombie unarmed
S3 [H5] Skeleton with a sword
S4 [F7] Skeleton with a sword
Turinus [E1]
Seregruin [D4] Represented by A
Luar [D3] Represented by B
Kinarron [E3] Represented by C

Hircine
2012-11-05, 01:08 PM
OOC: I'm the fifth if that's still alright.

tigerusthegreat
2012-11-05, 02:01 PM
OOC: I'm the fifth if that's still alright.

yup, you're D on the map at the moment until i get some better tokens.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-06, 11:20 PM
Should we start, or...?

tigerusthegreat
2012-11-07, 12:45 AM
Going to get a combat tracker up tomorrow, but you're welcome to start if you'd like. It'll be easier once the tracker is up.

Leewei
2012-11-08, 03:19 PM
Note that Luar(B) should be at F7. I'm guessing that tracker is delayed. I'm looking forward to seeing it!