PDA

View Full Version : Epic Tea Making

Brother Oni
2012-10-23, 06:05 PM
Or how I wish I look when making tea: Portraits in Dramatic Time with Alan Rickman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob7V_WtAVg).

For reference, the scene lasts ~11 seconds in real time.

Lord Loss
2012-10-23, 09:11 PM
This guy... this guy is too darn boss!!!

I'm honestly impressed by just how epic a portrayal of making tea they managed to create.

The Succubus
2012-10-24, 03:18 AM
As any true Englishman/woman will tell you, tea making is not something to be taken lightly and there's a world of difference between "builder's tea" and a true cup of tea. ^^

SiuiS
2012-10-24, 04:42 AM
As any true Englishman/woman will tell you, tea making is not something to be taken lightly and there's a world of difference between "builder's tea" and a true cup of tea. ^^

What is builder's tea, pray?

The Succubus
2012-10-24, 05:19 AM
Builder's tea is milk, sugar and the teabag is optional. :smallyuk:

SiuiS
2012-10-24, 05:22 AM

Oh, that actually sounds delightful.

Unless you mean lose the bag, keep the tea. If I wanted to chew a drink, I'd get Turkish coffee :smalleek:

Castaras
2012-10-24, 06:00 AM
I like my tea like I like my men.

Dark, bitter and full of contempt.

And the video is awesome. So much expression. :3

Lentrax
2012-10-24, 10:32 AM
There is so much drama in that, it makes me feel like he is brewing that teabag with anger.

"I am angry! Now I will make tea! It isn't helping!"

Aedilred
2012-10-24, 11:39 AM
I like my tea like I like my men.

Dark, bitter and full of contempt.
Well hello there...

Builder's tea is milk, sugar and the teabag is optional.
Oh, that actually sounds delightful.

Unless you mean lose the bag, keep the tea. If I wanted to chew a drink, I'd get Turkish coffee
Does anyone actually serve tea with the bag still in the cup? I know it happens at tea houses and the like because the tea is still brewing, and I also recall it happened to the Prince of Wales when visiting the US President once... but, seriously. Take the bag out before drinking.

Or better yet, make the tea in the teapot (preferably with loose leaf tea) and then you don't even have to contend with a bag.

Builders' tea is weak tea (hence "optional teabag") with lots of milk and sugar. It has a sort of distinctive orange colour.

Ravens_cry
2012-10-24, 03:22 PM
I like my tea so my tongue feels liek it will shrivel uip and die if I drank it without milk, adding about 3/4 to 1/2 of a centimetre of milk (first, of course!) in a basic mug. Sweetener (sugar) is if I need something extra, and that's rarely.
I always heat the pot thoroughly and almost obsessively make sure the water is exactly boiling when I pour it.
When I drink it, I like it almost, but not quite, scalding.

Yora
2012-10-24, 03:40 PM
At 3:50 I got bored and wanted to close the tab.

Bad time to reach for the mouse. :smallbiggrin:

Riverdance
2012-10-24, 04:35 PM
At 3:50 I got bored and wanted to close the tab.

Bad time to reach for the mouse. :smallbiggrin:

I had the weirdest moment before realizing that it was obviously you that made that comment. :smalltongue:

Story Time
2012-10-27, 01:48 AM
Or how I wish I look when making tea[...]

I laughed all the way through it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob7V_WtAVg)! :smallbiggrin: The first time was with-out sound. I laughed all the way through again with the music on.

But, what the short film does serve is a very good demonstration of drama and acting. There is much expression and the actor has no trouble keeping the interest of the audience. Honestly, I think theater want-to-bes should take notes from it.

...honestly, now I want to see Patrick Stewart's version of epic tea.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-27, 09:24 PM
WARNING: That video contains 512% of your daily recommended dosage of Epic. Your life will not be the same.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-27, 10:56 PM
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I don't make tea. I'm not sure why you would make a thread dedicated to me specifically making tea though.:smallconfused:

The Succubus
2012-10-28, 10:05 AM
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I don't make tea. I'm not sure why you would make a thread dedicated to me specifically making tea though.:smallconfused:

*cracks whip*

Less backchat, more brewing. Now. And so help me, if you fail to provide any biscuits again I will be very, very grumpy. :smallannoyed:

The_Admiral
2012-10-28, 10:20 AM
Milk? Sugar? HERESY!

I drink my tea straight.

Aedilred
2012-10-28, 10:41 AM
I got used to drinking black tea a few years ago in a "cut my nose off to spite my face" incident. My workplace sold tea at the canteen and provided fresh milk for people to use in it. People were also in the habit of bringing in their own teabags and using the boiling water dispenser to make tea themselves. This is what I did. We used the fresh milk and nobody really minded. I was still buying food from the canteen: I just didn't want to have to spend 80p on a cup of tea that was worse than one I could make myself for much less.

Unfortunately some people took advantage of the milk provided to use with their cereal or porridge, which meant that they used the milk up much more quickly, and they weren't subsidising the canteen in other ways either. So a few months after I started, the fresh milk disappeared and was replaced with UHT sachets given to those who bought tea. I have an abiding hatred of UHT milk and refused to let it anywhere near my tea, so drank it black.

Now that I'm no longer working there and can have my tea how I like, I've gone back to putting milk in it. I find black tea extremely bitter and even a splash of milk helps to mellow out the flavour (I black coffee to white for exactly the same reason, funnily enough). I do have my tea very strong, though, with only a small amount of milk. Or lemon, if Earl Grey, obviously.

Adlan
2012-10-28, 11:12 AM
Milk? Sugar? HERESY!

I drink my tea straight.

If you want Heresy, I drink Earl Grey with milk, just like my Grandfather. Strong brewed Earl Grey too.

I initially liked Tea so I could dunk my biscuits, but when I was a teenager, I really didn't like tea, though I did have to make it quite often (did you know that British Telecom Vans, Cherry Pickers and Telegraph Pole Erectors all have a built in Kettle?)

I then joined the officer training corp. and I began to drink NATO standard Tea, with 4 sugars and usually made from the Ration Pack powdered white tea. Not really tea at all, but it began me drinking tea when I needed the caffeine instead of an energy drink.

And then I read This essay (http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm) by George Orwell and it changed my perspective on Tea.

The_Admiral
2012-10-28, 11:36 AM
If you want Heresy, I drink Earl Grey with milk, just like my Grandfather. Strong brewed Earl Grey too.

I initially liked Tea so I could dunk my biscuits, but when I was a teenager, I really didn't like tea, though I did have to make it quite often (did you know that British Telecom Vans, Cherry Pickers and Telegraph Pole Erectors all have a built in Kettle?)

I then joined the officer training corp. and I began to drink NATO standard Tea, with 4 sugars and usually made from the Ration Pack powdered white tea. Not really tea at all, but it began me drinking tea when I needed the caffeine instead of an energy drink.

And then I read This essay (http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm) by George Orwell and it changed my perspective on Tea.

I drink tea from china, so yeah they do taste better straight. Green Tea is delicious!

Story Time
2012-10-28, 02:34 PM
If you want Heresy, I drink Earl Grey with milk, just like my Grandfather.

What!? Heresy!
( Hi, Adlan! That was a good article. Really. My first style of tea was Sweet South. Black tea; lots of sugar and lemon. )

I drink tea from china, so yeah they do taste better straight. Green Tea is delicious!

I love green tea. Very mild. It's also kind of dangerous in that it is easy to forget to drink water. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2012-10-28, 03:01 PM
*cracks whip*

Less backchat, more brewing. Now. And so help me, if you fail to provide any biscuits again I will be very, very grumpy. :smallannoyed:

What? Is it really so pompous for me to think a thread's named after me? Those guys over at D&D based an entire book off me. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Level_Handbook)
Get it? 'Cause I'm Dr. Epic, and I'm explaining the joke.

Asta Kask
2012-10-28, 03:36 PM
I don't drink tea. Or coffee.

The_Admiral
2012-10-28, 03:42 PM
WHAT! HOW IS THAT EVEN..... possible?

Asta Kask
2012-10-28, 03:48 PM
Coca-Cola.

Castaras
2012-10-29, 04:31 AM
I don't drink tea. Or coffee.

I was like you once. Then I took physics.

Sipping Earl Grey right now. Normally go for Yorkshire tea, but while there's a hot water machine it's harder to get milk, so I'm trying a tea which is apparently best without milk.

It's average. Still prefer yorkshire with milk.

Xondoure
2012-10-29, 04:40 AM
I'm a fan of Sleepy Time with lots of milk and sugar.

Sure, sometimes I'll get fancy with the tea leaves but Sleepy Time is the staple round these halls.

GnomeFighter
2012-10-29, 05:18 AM

I always understood builders tea to be made by putting a teabag in the biggest mug you could find, putting in boiling water, adding as much sugar as you could make dissolve, some milk, and leaving to stew until the teaspoon (or screwdriver if you don't have a spoon) stands up in it.

Preferably drunk luke warm and on chargeable time.

Adlan
2012-10-29, 06:32 AM
I always understood builders tea to be made by putting a teabag in the biggest mug you could find, putting in boiling water, adding as much sugar as you could make dissolve, some milk, and leaving to stew until the teaspoon (or screwdriver if you don't have a spoon) stands up in it.

Preferably drunk luke warm and on chargeable time.

Yup, highlighted the main requirement for Builders Tea.

@Story Time
I drank Southern Sweet Tea while in America, I didn't expect to need a cup of tea while overseas, but I smelled the brewing giant vat in our hunting lodge and amazed my buddies because I drank the tea hot.

I'll also second whoever recommended Yorkshire Tea, the hardness and softness of your water is vital for the flavour of tea, and yorkshire tea takes account of this.

Brother Oni
2012-10-29, 07:05 AM
(did you know that British Telecom Vans, Cherry Pickers and Telegraph Pole Erectors all have a built in Kettle?)

And as Adlan will know, BVs (Boiling Vessel, aka a kettle) are also standard equipment on all British Army AFVs. :smallbiggrin:

I remember hearing that this little luxury made British Army tankers very popular to be around during meal times out in the field in Afganistan, particularly with Americans (well that and our rat packs).

Aedilred
2012-10-29, 07:10 AM
Sipping Earl Grey right now. Normally go for Yorkshire tea, but while there's a hot water machine it's harder to get milk, so I'm trying a tea which is apparently best without milk.

It's average. Still prefer yorkshire with milk.
Have you tried it with lemon? That said, I too believe Yorkshire tea with milk to be superior.

Adlan
2012-10-29, 07:37 AM
And as Adlan will know, BVs (Boiling Vessel, aka a kettle) are also standard equipment on all British Army AFVs. :smallbiggrin:

I remember hearing that this little luxury made British Army tankers very popular to be around during meal times out in the field in Afganistan, particularly with Americans (well that and our rat packs).

It's just good sense. :smallbiggrin:
Best of All is you can put your toffee pudding in there, and then come back a year later and it's finally starting to soften.

If the Kettle was on the Outside, we'd lose a Trooper to sniper fire every time they stopped for Tea in the middle of battle.

I recall that was not so popular with the Americans during the Normandy Invasion.

Story Time
2012-10-29, 07:45 AM
@Story Time
I drank Southern Sweet Tea while in America, I didn't expect to need a cup of tea while overseas, but I smelled the brewing giant vat in our hunting lodge and amazed my buddies because I drank the tea hot.

Ha! That's interesting! :smallbiggrin:

I'm kind of like an inter-national smelter for teas. I like to try different kinds from their native areas. Generally, my preference is for Ceylon ( which includes cinnamon when I make cinnamon and honey tea; very good for sore throats )

What's charge-able time? :smallconfused:

Brother Oni
2012-10-29, 07:54 AM
It's just good sense. :smallbiggrin:
Best of All is you can put your toffee pudding in there, and then come back a year later and it's finally starting to soften.

If the Kettle was on the Outside, we'd lose a Trooper to sniper fire every time they stopped for Tea in the middle of battle.

I think you might find this little story (http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/files/militarysystems/supplier_docs/cooking-vessel.pdf) interesting:

As a piece of kit the BV was beloved by soldiers. When the M1 Abrams MBT had just been introduced into service with the US Army in the early 1980s a proud American “tanker” was explaining the many merits of this new AFV to a group of NATO soldiers.

When he asked whether they had any questions a British junior NCO asked if the formidable armoured vehicle was equipped with a BV. “I’m sorry what is a BV?” came the reply.
A rapid explanation of the merits of the BV followed and when the tanker explained that the M1 did not have a BV the NCO summed up his take on the AFV.
”The tank’s crap” he said and walked away.

Current Abrams and other US Army vehicles are equipped with cooking or boiling vessels.

I recall that was not so popular with the Americans during the Normandy Invasion.

I think it was less the BV being on the outside and more that the British and Canadian troops were stopping for a brew up as soon as they cleared the beaches rather than taking advantage of the momentum and pushing forwards to seize objectives.

That said, we do appear to be getting along better with our allies: link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/apr/07/iraq.military).

What's charge-able time? :smallconfused:

It's time that you should be working in, but instead you take a break and don't make it up afterwards.

There's a funny site I remember seeing that calculates how much various army ranks get paid for taking 5 minute dump during their working day.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-29, 08:54 PM

Who decided that was a good idea? It sounds more like a caricature of British people than something which actually happened.

Mercenary Pen
2012-10-30, 05:33 AM
Who decided that was a good idea? It sounds more like a caricature of British people than something which actually happened.

Personally, I think this is more due to the fact that battles can actually take ages- and most people don't realise that (for example, the Battle of the Somme- the first battle in which tanks were used lasted over four and a half months, with tanks deployed for over one month of that)...

GnomeFighter
2012-10-30, 05:54 AM

Never underestimate the magnetic draw of a mug of hot brown to a squaddie. Also, don't forget that these guys could have been fighting for 5-6 hours in the cold and wet. I don't think we are talking people setting up a table with china and cucumber sandwiches under enemy fire, more stopping for something hot to drink once the first phase had finished before pushing forwards after a retreating enemy.

The Succubus
2012-10-30, 05:55 AM

British people get really, really...intense...when we're interrupted on a tea break. Think of a viking berserker rage except with tea leaves instead of mead.

Adlan
2012-10-30, 05:59 AM

Well, at the moment, Battle could be non stop considering that you don't know when a sniper attack is waiting for you to come out of your hatches, and even simple conventional Battles can last a long time, so needing your hot meals and hot drink is no surprise.

The Conscripts of Britain who were used to a cup of tea after a hard job, and so during the invasion of normandy, would stop and have a brew, and then get back to the fighting. Here (http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a475698.pdf) is someone's essay and analysis of a British Division, page 74 references Tea as an issue for readiness. It's in several contemporary accounts AFAIR.

Stopping and Having a Brew, as has been linked in the articles already posted in this thread, is still a distinctive aspect of the British Military.

I was told stories, with pride, of people brewing up under fire in the Falklands.

And I won a posh Chocolate bar once, first to finish making a hexi brew.

Brother Oni
2012-10-30, 06:22 AM

Further to other answers, one of the first things a deployed soldier learns is to eat and rest whenever the opportunity presents itself, because they probably won't get a chance later.

The second article I linked mentions the crew of a recon vehicle having a quick brew after calling in an artillery/air strike on a target. Since presumably they would have to sit around and watch to confirm the target's destruction anyway, they decided to have a cuppa while they waited.

I remember there was a Challenger 2 in Iraq that got detracked during an operation and had to wait a couple hours for recovery. There's no doubt in my mind that the crew were calmly drinking tea while RPGs plinked off their hull. :smallbiggrin:

GnomeFighter
2012-10-30, 06:40 AM
page 74 references Tea as an issue for readiness. It's in several contemporary accounts AFAIR.

Stopping and Having a Brew, as has been linked in the articles already posted in this thread, is still a distinctive aspect of the British Military.

It is really a very sensible thing to do. Making sure that having a brew is high on the priority's is an important part of keeping the British army running. It dose a number of things. It:

Keeps moral up and builds teams far more than just drinking water. One person making a brew makes everyone feel more part of a team and a good mug of tea always makes you feel better.

Ensures that no matter where you are your troops are drinking plenty of clean safe water. Unboiled water in war zones can be a big danger. Boiling and cooling water is a PITA just to drink plain water so people will be tempted to avoid it and either not drink or drink water that looks clean. If they want a brew then you know it has been boiled and squaddie tea with powdered milk will cover any nasty taste that might be left.

Means that when stopping a fire is going to get lit and a hot drink drunk. Less chance of hypothermia or the risks of damp clothes in the tropics. Unless there is a good reason not to light a fire there is less chance of a tired solder thinking "Sod it. Ill eat my food cold and get some kip".

Adlan
2012-10-30, 06:56 AM
Means that when stopping a fire is going to get lit and a hot drink drunk. Less chance of hypothermia or the risks of damp clothes in the tropics. Unless there is a good reason not to light a fire there is less chance of a tired solder thinking "Sod it. Ill eat my food cold and get some kip".

No one likes being Johnny Cold Scoff.

Lentrax
2012-10-30, 10:17 AM
I was in Afghanistan a few years back. I remember heading out as a translator with a squad of Brits. We got hit pretty hard, and I took one in the leg. I got carried out by a very nice guy and the very first thing that happened when he sat me down was to offer me a cup of tea.

Best drink I ever had, IMO.

Seriously. You Brits are the best.