PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel (Doug Walker's New Show)

Sunken Valley
2012-10-24, 03:55 AM
The Nostalgia Critic has ended. But creator and actor Doug Walker hasn't.

This is the trailer for his new show: Demo Reel (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/demo-reel/36980-demo-reel-trailer).

My opinion? I think its slapped together far too quickly. Nostalgia Critic only announced its end in September 14. Casting call for Demo Reel was announced October 3 (Deadline October 9). Auditions were October 13. Production only started October 20. The show is due to open October 30! This reeks of cheap half-heartedness.

Your opinion?

Aotrs Commander
2012-10-24, 05:52 AM
Of course, what we don't know is how much prior work went on behind the scenes prior to announcement. It might be that stuff like all the scrips were written long in advance, and stuff like props and such may have been already partly assembled.

Still dubious, though, to be honest. I'm sure it'll be funny, but for how long and how funny is another question.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-24, 01:38 PM
Meh, it really don't look that good. Like, just parodying films. The sketches they showed in the trailer doesn't look that funny. This might turn into another Melvin Brother of the Joker. Still, to say something positive, regardless how bad or good it is, I'm sure it'll be way better than Blockbuster Buster.

Tengu_temp
2012-10-24, 01:50 PM
The trailer doesn't look too good. It reminds me too much of Suburban Knights and To Boldly Flee and too little of what made the good episodes of Nostalgia Critic good. Still, I want to stay cautiously optimistic, and I'm sure I will give it at least a try when the first episode comes out. Time will tell will I keep watching after that.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-24, 01:55 PM
Something else that bugged about the trailer, the ending tagline: "We don't make movies; we remake movies." That's kind pretty unoriginal considering the motto for Rifftrax is "We don't make movies; we make fun of them." Minor point, but it's seems unoriginal, which could be a prediction about how the rest of the show turns out. Whoops! Did I just say that out loud!:smallwink:

Lord Seth
2012-10-24, 01:59 PM
Something else that bugged about the trailer, the ending tagline: "We don't make movies; we remake movies." That's kind pretty unoriginal considering the motto for Rifftrax is "We don't make movies; we make fun of them." Minor point, but it's seems unoriginal, which could be a prediction about how the rest of the show turns out. Whoops! Did I just say that out loud!:smallwink:Speaking of which, I might as well plug the fact they're doing a live riffing of Birdemic in theaters tomorrow. You can find more information here (http://www.fathomevents.com/originals/event/birdemic.aspx?utm_source=RiffTrax&utm_medium=SplashBanner&utm_campaign=RiffTraxBIRDEMIC).

If you're interested I'd suggest buying your tickets in advance or at least getting to the theater early, because when I went to their last one (Manos: the Hands of Fate) I got there about 10 minutes before it started and found out it was sold out.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-24, 02:02 PM
Speaking of which, I might as well plug the fact they're doing a live riffing of Birdemic in theaters tomorrow. You can find more information here (http://www.fathomevents.com/originals/event/birdemic.aspx?utm_source=RiffTrax&utm_medium=SplashBanner&utm_campaign=RiffTraxBIRDEMIC).

If you're interested I'd suggest buying your tickets in advance or at least getting to the theater early, because when I went to their last one (Manos: the Hands of Fate) I got there about 10 minutes before it started and found out it was sold out.

Speaking of Birdemic, when's that sequel coming out? The first one was hilarious. I can't wait to see how funny the second one is!

But not trying to derail this thread, back on topic: the two new guys - or rather new guy and new girl - don't see too bad. I mean, given the material we've seen them read, they don't seem too bad.

Yora
2012-10-24, 02:05 PM
I saw the trailer earlier today and it looks stupid and I don't think I'll ever really watch it. But so does everything on the site and I still love Linkara, Phaelus, and VGA.*
I guess I'll give the first episode a try and maybe check back on it after 10 episodes when they have gotten the kinks out. Who knows, these videos always keep suprising me in a positive way.

*I also love Film Brain, but his videos are actually really good in depth reviews and analysations rather than riffs and bashing.

Sunken Valley
2012-10-24, 02:06 PM
Of course, what we don't know is how much prior work went on behind the scenes prior to announcement. It might be that stuff like all the scrips were written long in advance, and stuff like props and such may have been already partly assembled.

Still dubious, though, to be honest. I'm sure it'll be funny, but for how long and how funny is another question.

I researched this. Although the idea to do Demo Reel and the other new shows Doug is planning (including a talk show starring him, a blu-ray DVD review show (not with him) and a comic book show requiring a female co-host (don't know if he's the male co-host).) have been going round for years (with varying levels of development) as the new thing to do after NC retires (which was never going to be any longer than 6 or 7 years) the decision to retire NC was made in January 2012 after SOPA came and went.

Doug was worried that a new bill like SOPA will eventuall pass which will screw over NC and most of the site so he wanted to move away from that image and show that the internet can boost the economy and is good for the world. Hence the reason to recruit all new actors from Chicago (home of Doug). This was also partly why Spoony left, as he had been told that he would lose his executive producer position unless he moved to chicago as channel awesome is asking all its executive producers to move to chicago.

The studio space for channel awesome was bought on September 1, although the company had been looking since early August.

Similarly, there are no plans to do a 5th year anniversary special for the site. To Boldly Flee will be the last as the specials have no place in the new direction.

This will not be the new Melvin if it fails. Doug put all his eggs in both this and his other new shows. If this fails he will drop off the public eye.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-24, 02:52 PM
I researched this. Although the idea to do Demo Reel and the other new shows Doug is planning (including a talk show starring him, a blu-ray DVD review show (not with him) and a comic book show requiring a female co-host (don't know if he's the male co-host).) have been going round for years (with varying levels of development) as the new thing to do after NC retires (which was never going to be any longer than 6 or 7 years) the decision to retire NC was made in January 2012 after SOPA came and went.

Doug was worried that a new bill like SOPA will eventuall pass which will screw over NC and most of the site so he wanted to move away from that image and show that the internet can boost the economy and is good for the world. Hence the reason to recruit all new actors from Chicago (home of Doug). This was also partly why Spoony left, as he had been told that he would lose his executive producer position unless he moved to chicago as channel awesome is asking all its executive producers to move to chicago.

The studio space for channel awesome was bought on September 1, although the company had been looking since early August.

Well look at you. Mister I did the research and know all the facts. Well I for one don't need facts or any of that boring junk and look at where I am now: I'm some weird guy online that annoys people by constantly stating how awesome Meelo from Legend of Korra is.:smallwink:

But, did other reviewers moved to Chicago? You said that was partly why Spoony left, but did other guys move there? Like, I heard somewhere that Brad Jones was going to be in one of Doug's new shows. Is he moving to Chicago? I'm fine with him ending the Cinema Snob. I really liked his show, but lately the CS has been going downhill. I still want him to make it to 200 videos though. But what about angry Jake! I want to see him get mad after watching the Smurfs 2!

Similarly, there are no plans to do a 5th year anniversary special for the site. To Boldly Flee will be the last as the specials have no place in the new direction.

I'm good with that because To Boldly Flee was horrible - like really horrible - and I doubt any future anniversary specials will be any better.

This will not be the new Melvin if it fails. Doug put all his eggs in both this and his other new shows. If this fails he will drop off the public eye.

What!?:smalleek: But that's bad. Really bad. I still think Doug is funny. I'm just not sure this new show will be any funny. Can't we do a compromise? I know: if this fails, how about that awful Blockbuster Buster guy drop off the public eye? I think that guy's not funny, and he's lame, and he's smelly.

I saw the trailer earlier today and it looks stupid and I don't think I'll ever really watch it. But so does everything on the site and I still love Linkara, Phaelus, and VGA.*
I guess I'll give the first episode a try and maybe check back on it after 10 episodes when they have gotten the kinks out. Who knows, these videos always keep suprising me in a positive way.

Linkara is usually hit or miss with me. I have some big problems with him. Like how he only reviews bad comics because he says it's easier to make fun off. Right there I have some issues: it shouldn't just be about the humor. It should be about a genuine critique. What works and what doesn't work. Also, he says him reviewing something good would just be him saying "This is great." like over and over again. Again, that's lazy. You have to explain why. Saying something is bad is the same way: you have to expand. Simply saying something is good or bad isn't enough for a full review and it seem like he doesn't know how to explain why something is good. Not to mention if you're truly talented, you can make anything funny even material that isn't flawed.

*I also love Film Brain, but his videos are actually really good in depth reviews and analysations rather than riffs and bashing.

Film Brain I used to like, but I have a sneaking suspicion he doesn't give his genuine opinion on Bad Movie Beatdown. I think he just researches what other critics have said about the films already and reiterates that. Like, I guess you could say that about any reviewer, but one moment in particular lead me to this: when Revenge of the Fallen first came out, he made a written review and gave the movie a positive review. Then a few years later when he reviewed it on Bad Movie Beatdown, he tears it apart. What's that about? If you're going to have an opinion about something that's not the norm, by all means have that opinion and just explain why you feel so differently, but don't flip flop. It ruins your credibility.

Mx.Silver
2012-10-24, 03:37 PM
Film Brain I used to like, but I have a sneaking suspicion he doesn't give his genuine opinion on Bad Movie Beatdown. I think he just researches what other critics have said about the films already and reiterates that.
Like, I guess you could say that about any reviewer, but one moment in particular lead me to this: when Revenge of the Fallen first came out, he made a written review and gave the movie a positive review. Then a few years later when he reviewed it on Bad Movie Beatdown, he tears it apart. What's that about? If you're going to have an opinion about something that's not the norm, by all means have that opinion and just explain why you feel so differently, but don't flip flop. It ruins your credibility.
People change their minds about things. It happens. Sometimes you may revisit something and have a very different reaction to it than your first impression, especially if it's been a few years. In fact that's probably happened to most people at some point.

Sunken Valley
2012-10-24, 03:48 PM
Well look at you. Mister I did the research and know all the facts. Well I for one don't need facts or any of that boring junk and look at where I am now: I'm some weird guy online that annoys people by constantly stating how awesome Meelo from Legend of Korra is.:smallwink:

But, did other reviewers moved to Chicago? You said that was partly why Spoony left, but did other guys move there? Like, I heard somewhere that Brad Jones was going to be in one of Doug's new shows. Is he moving to Chicago? I'm fine with him ending the Cinema Snob. I really liked his show, but lately the CS has been going downhill. I still want him to make it to 200 videos though. But what about angry Jake! I want to see him get mad after watching the Smurfs 2!

I'm good with that because To Boldly Flee was horrible - like really horrible - and I doubt any future anniversary specials will be any better.

What!?:smalleek: But that's bad. Really bad. I still think Doug is funny. I'm just not sure this new show will be any funny. Can't we do a compromise? I know: if this fails, how about that awful Blockbuster Buster guy drop off the public eye? I think that guy's not funny, and he's lame, and he's smelly.

Only the ones with exec producer creds move. That was only really Doug, Rob, Spoony, Linkara, Brad, Sadpanda and the heads of channel Awesome. I made a small mistake. It was Illinois, not Chicago. Brad lives in Illinois. Linkara gave up his exec cred. Spoony left because of this and that scandle. And I think Panda's moving.

Can you explain why exactly TBF was horrible? I thought it was better than Suburban Knights and that Brawl. Not as good as Kickassia though.

I think BB is well off the public eye. He's not particularly a big name in the business, his only claim to fame being the most recent show on Channel Awesome, a claim which he will lose in a week. He isn't exactly Doug or Spoony or Brad or Lindsay or Todd or JO or Maven or Linkara or Filmbrain or Phelous or even Lupa! He's nobody.

Doug can probably go back to NC if his show fails but it will ruin his reputation like "Joey" stalks LeBlanc.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-24, 04:05 PM
Well, I like the trailer. I'm sort of a fan of those "backstage filmed" shows though, so that might be why. And I feel so much for that new character "Tacoma Narrows". I've been in his exact position before.

Hopefully it works out.

Also, TBF was the only good anniversary special. Let's not kid ourselves. :smallamused:

Zevox
2012-10-24, 06:16 PM
The Nostalgia Critic has ended. But creator and actor Doug Walker hasn't.

This is the trailer for his new show: Demo Reel (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/demo-reel/36980-demo-reel-trailer).

My opinion? I think its slapped together far too quickly. Nostalgia Critic only announced its end in September 14. Casting call for Demo Reel was announced October 3 (Deadline October 9). Auditions were October 13. Production only started October 20. The show is due to open October 30! This reeks of cheap half-heartedness.

Your opinion?
:smallconfused: Exactly how much time do you think they need? It's not like this is another anniversary movie, it's just another internet show. It's been more than two months since the last Nostalgia Critic (the Scooby Doo review was posted August 14th), and a couple of weeks since the casting call. If they found their new actors at those first auditions they were holding, it seems to me that they've had plenty of time.

Anyway though, my own thoughts: eh. I'm not expecting it to be any replacement for the Nostalgia Critic for me, simply because the premise doesn't work as well for me. I'm not a big movie watcher, at all, so odds are they'll usually be parodying movies I've never seen (for instance, the Batman movie they're parodying in the trailer - I don't like Batman, so I don't go see Batman movies). With the Nostalgia Critic (and other reviewers on the site) it didn't matter whether I've seen the movie in question since he summarized it during the review anyway, which I don't get the feeling that this will do. (Nostalgia Critic being about old, nostalgic movies and shows helped too, since I watched more movies and television as a kid than I do now.) And if I don't know what they're parodying, odds are many of the jokes will fall flat for me, even if they're great for people who have seen the movie in question.

So yeah, I will watch the first episode, probably stick with it a bit even if it doesn't start to my liking to try and give Doug the chance to hit his stride with it, but at this point, I can't say I'm optimistic personally.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2012-10-24, 08:51 PM
People change their minds about things. It happens. Sometimes you may revisit something and have a very different reaction to it than your first impression, especially if it's been a few years. In fact that's probably happened to most people at some point.

I still have my doubts. Like, isn't it a bit too coincidental that once it's been widely accepted Revenge of the Fallen sucked, he changes his mind? Also, as a reviewer, shouldn't he above all people stick to his opinions? If you're gonna flick flop or change your opinions, what's the point? Not to mention I've yet to see any other critics come out and revise their official statement on something they reviewed.

Can you explain why exactly TBF was horrible? I thought it was better than Suburban Knights and that Brawl. Not as good as Kickassia though.

A lot of reason I'm not sure I can properly go into. Really, it just felt like a Friedberg/Seltzer movie just referencing Sci-Fi to reference Sci-Fi regardless of context. Like, what was really the point of referencing that one scene from Ghost Busters after they unplugged Spoony from the machine. And not to mention I just found most of the spoofs annoying, like the way they parody the prequels. Plus, a lot of it was very predictable. Like, I could see the whole Snob becomes Vader and then they'd spoof the prequels, and "HEY! We have a reviewer named Luke! This won't be forced or trite at all! It works in context!":smallannoyed:

I think BB is well off the public eye. He's not particularly a big name in the business, his only claim to fame being the most recent show on Channel Awesome, a claim which he will lose in a week. He isn't exactly Doug or Spoony or Brad or Lindsay or Todd or JO or Maven or Linkara or Filmbrain or Phelous or even Lupa! He's nobody.

Still, every time I see he's got an update on the TGWTG site I die a little. His reviews are just nothing to me. Like, there are reviewers I don't like, but there are things about them I do like. Like, even if I don't like their reviews, I can still find something positive about their reviews: their funny, or insightful, or they know the material, or have put serious time into the review or just something I can take away from it. Blockbuster Buster, no, nothing. They're just annoying and badly written and that guy that does them lacks serious charisma to pull off any of his "jokes."

Doug can probably go back to NC if his show fails but it will ruin his reputation like "Joey" stalks LeBlanc.

Yeah, probably. The Brothers Chap said they were done with Strong Bad Emails after sbemail 200, but eventually we saw sbemail 201 (though they haven't updated in nearly two years, but they did say they will return).

Zevox
2012-10-24, 11:40 PM
Also, as a reviewer, shouldn't he above all people stick to his opinions?
Um, no. You're talking about opinions about movies - they're not important to begin with, and it would frankly be stupid to force people, reviewers or not, to stick by opinions they no longer hold if they do change their minds.

And here's a thought: perhaps after seeing other peoples' thoughts and arguments on the matter, he was persuaded that they had a valid point he missed in his initial viewing? I don't know about you, but that's certainly happened to me. Not with movies, since I don't really watch many of those nor care too much about them, but with video games. The Mass Effect 3 ending for instance - if you were to go back and find my initial post after seeing it, you'd find me saying that I don't know why people are upset about it. After reading what others had to say about it though, I saw that there were quite a few valid complaints - not all of which I shared due to different tastes, but many of which I agreed with - and I've since changed to being largely a critic of the ending. And trust me, not because it was popular: if I were the sort to do that, I wouldn't be constantly defending Dragon Age 2 whenever discussions of that game come up.

Zevox

Mx.Silver
2012-10-25, 06:49 AM
I still have my doubts. Like, isn't it a bit too coincidental that once it's been widely accepted Revenge of the Fallen sucked, he changes his mind? Also, as a reviewer, shouldn't he above all people stick to his opinions? If you're gonna flick flop or change your opinions, what's the point?
Besides echoing what Zevox said, the 'point' of admitting that you've changed your mind is because it's the intellectually honest thing to do, especially if you consider your original opinion to have a result of bad judgement. Sticking to an opinion even if you no longer accept it just for the sake of appearances isn't a positive if you're involved in serious discussion.

Furthermore, if Film Brain was swayed by public opinion to lie about his views on Transformers 2 (as you suggest), that then raises the question as to why he's still apparently sticking by his review of Equilibrium? Because that review didn't exactly go down well with the site's audience either.

In regards to why no one else has done it as publicly (because honestly, quite a few of them -such as Todd, for example - have revised opinions, just not with as much fanfare) it's notable the only reason reason this is was as public as it was is because it was an instance where the change of opinion expressed on one of his shows/columns made it an eligible subject for his other show. There are very few (if any) other critics on the site who could even get into that situation.

Zevox
2012-10-25, 08:26 PM
Besides echoing what Zevox said, the 'point' of admitting that you've changed your mind is because it's the intellectually honest thing to do, especially if you consider your original opinion to have a result of bad judgement. Sticking to an opinion even if you no longer accept it just for the sake of appearances isn't a positive if you're involved in serious discussion.
Ah, thank you. I was wondering why that suggestion bothered me so much, but couldn't find the right words for it. That's it though: it's intellectually dishonest. Worse, it's forcing someone to be intellectually dishonest against their will, and for no good reason. That basically undermines any point there might be to a review, or to any discussion where you're exchanging opinions with someone.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2012-10-26, 07:43 PM
Spoiler'd 'cause there's a bunch load of text.

Um, no.

Um, yes. Actually yes.

You're talking about opinions about movies - they're not important to begin with,

Maybe not to you, but to me and a lot of other people that watch these reviews it is. And if if it really isn't important at all, then why are they bothering to make the review in the first place and why am I wasting time watching it?

and it would frankly be stupid to force people, reviewers or not, to stick by opinions they no longer hold if they do change their minds.

If his opinion can be persuaded so easily, why's he even bothering making a review? I mean, if his opinion can change, doesn't that render all his opinions null and void? Might as well put a big disclaimer at the beginning of each of his reviews saying "OH! And by the way, my opinion may change after a certain amount of time so disregard everything I say in the following review." It's not very professional. Isn't the point of being a reviewer to see every possible angle when reviewing a film and coming to a definite answer? To take a definite stance on something to inform others of their opinion? I mean, if their opinion can change, then why I am I watching and why should they even bother to make it? Not to mention I've yet to see any other reviewer or critic go back on their word and plenty of them have opinions that don't coincide with popular opinion so I'm sure they've heard plenty of arguments against their opinion and haven't changed their mind.

And here's a thought: perhaps after seeing other peoples' thoughts and arguments on the matter, he was persuaded that they had a valid point he missed in his initial viewing?

Then he's a bad reviewer for not catching theses things earlier. And again, he's a bad reviewer for having such an impulsive attitude towards films. And even if he sees other people have valid points, couldn't he still hold his original opinion? I mean I get in conversations about films with people in which we both have different opinion and I can admit they have some valid points but it doesn't change how I feel about the movie. Again, to reiterate, if you're opinion can so easily be persuaded, I don't think your rightly in the profession to be judging works of fiction.

I don't know about you, but that's certainly happened to me. Not with movies, since I don't really watch many of those nor care too much about them, but with video games. The Mass Effect 3 ending for instance - if you were to go back and find my initial post after seeing it, you'd find me saying that I don't know why people are upset about it. After reading what others had to say about it though, I saw that there were quite a few valid complaints - not all of which I shared due to different tastes, but many of which I agreed with - and I've since changed to being largely a critic of the ending. And trust me, not because it was popular: if I were the sort to do that, I wouldn't be constantly defending Dragon Age 2 whenever discussions of that game come up.

That's you. You're not a critic. No offense, but thousands of people don't hang on your very word and use your opinion as a means by which they should go out and experience a work of fiction. These people are professions - even if professionals on the internet. I expect far greater standards from them.

Zevox

Dr. Epic:smalltongue:

This goes back to my initial point of a critic should be able to make a definite answer about whether a film is good or bad before making their review. Isn't it that he's just being too impulsive if his opinion can change like that? You want to say opinion can change, let's say I'm hypothetically fine with that, but come to a definite stance on something before you make a review telling others how you feel. Take some time if you need it to truly reflect on the work of fiction then make a judgement. If you're just going to flip flop then it renders all your reviews null and void.

Furthermore, if Film Brain was swayed by public opinion to lie about his views on Transformers 2 (as you suggest), that then raises the question as to why he's still apparently sticking by his review of Equilibrium? Because that review didn't exactly go down well with the site's audience either.

I'm not really sure, but maybe it would have been harder to retcon: a video review takes far longer to edit together taking days and would have had more time to think over the film than a review that's at most a few paragraphs and was probably written in under an hour.

And going back to FB's Revenge of the Fallen review, he said in his first review, the movie was basically mindless entertainment, but still entertainment and good. If you admit something's just mindless entertainment, you admit it has flaws, but overall it's still enjoyable. You know it's bad, but it's still entertaining. Why should all the things he complained about in his second review affect how he feels about it? You found it enjoyable the first time with all these flaws, so why should other people's opinion affect you - you already acknowledge to flaws but still find there's enjoyment in it.

In regards to why no one else has done it as publicly (because honestly, quite a few of them -such as Todd, for example - have revised opinions, just not with as much fanfare) it's notable the only reason reason this is was as public as it was is because it was an instance where the change of opinion expressed on one of his shows/columns made it an eligible subject for his other show. There are very few (if any) other critics on the site who could even get into that situation.

Name some other examples and cite the specific example because I've yet to see any other instance of this, and I want to know how they changed their opinion - was it something minor like they didn't think a piece of art wasn't as good as they thought but still enjoyable, or was it a complete 180.

Ah, thank you. I was wondering why that suggestion bothered me so much, but couldn't find the right words for it. That's it though: it's intellectually dishonest. Worse, it's forcing someone to be intellectually dishonest against their will, and for no good reason. That basically undermines any point there might be to a review, or to any discussion where you're exchanging opinions with someone.

Or it's impulsive. Again, come to a definite stance on a subject before coming out with a review. It shows you really didn't put enough thought and effort into your review if you honestly didn't think of something from someone else point of view.

Zevox

Dr. Epic...again'd:smalltongue:

And now turning back to the actual topic Demo Reel, anyone else think the font they use is really poor? Like really poor and bad? Like, I know there's such a thing as stylization, but even taking that into account it still looks really bad.

Zevox
2012-10-26, 10:39 PM
Maybe not to you, but to me and a lot of other people that watch these reviews it is. And if if it really isn't important at all, then why are they bothering to make the review in the first place and why am I wasting time watching it?
Entertainment. Discussion of what makes the movie good/bad in the interests of having people learn to make better ones. Persuading those who disagree on that matter to change their opinons. Discussion of the movie because people like discussing it. Same reasons anyone does anything in most media forms, really.

If his opinion can be persuaded so easily, why's he even bothering making a review? I mean, if his opinion can change, doesn't that render all his opinions null and void?
Um, no! Why on earth would you think that? That makes no sense.

Opinions are just that: opinions. They can always change. That's an inherent part of what they are and what we are as human beings. That's a huge part of the point of discussing them, in fact: convincing others to your own point of view if you can.

Isn't the point of being a reviewer to see every possible angle when reviewing a film and coming to a definite answer?
No, because that's impossible. There are no definite answers in this, because these things are subjective to begin with. Hence why they're matters of opinion, not fact.

I think you simply have a very off view of reviewers here. They may be paid to do what they do (though I'm not certain whether Film Brain in particular is), but their opinions are not inherently different than those of others, no more valid than anyone else's. They are just people who give their opinions on something for a living, nothing more.

And even if he sees other people have valid points, couldn't he still hold his original opinion? I mean I get in conversations about films with people in which we both have different opinion and I can admit they have some valid points but it doesn't change how I feel about the movie.
And if those points were sufficient to change your opinion of the movie? What would be the point to pretending to hold your original opinion then?

That's you. You're not a critic. No offense, but thousands of people don't hang on your very word and use your opinion as a means by which they should go out and experience a work of fiction.
I sincerely doubt that thousands of people hang on Film Brain's words, either. And to be perfectly frank, I don't think anyone should hang on any critic's every word and use their opinions in that manner, because again, they're in no way special. If you find a critic whose opinions have a strong tendency to line up with your own, then that particular critic can be useful in that kind of regard, but that's it.

And now turning back to the actual topic Demo Reel, anyone else think the font they use is really poor? Like really poor and bad? Like, I know there's such a thing as stylization, but even taking that into account it still looks really bad.
I can't say I even noticed the font. Looking at it now... no, it's just another font, nothing special to say about it.

Zevox

Mx.Silver
2012-10-27, 06:32 AM
This goes back to my initial point of a critic should be able to make a definite answer about whether a film is good or bad before making their review.
Which would be fine if everyone who reviewed something was perfect at it. However, as they are normal human beings it is reasonable to assume they will make mistakes every now and then.

Isn't it that he's just being too impulsive if his opinion can change like that?
You want to say opinion can change, let's say I'm hypothetically fine with that, but come to a definite stance on something before you make a review telling others how you feel. Take some time if you need it to truly reflect on the work of fiction then make a judgement.
You seem to be forgetting that it his BMB of Transformers was made years after his initial text review. His review column (which would later become projector) was about him reviewing current films as they came out, and you really can't do that if you're willing to wait months just in case your opinion changes. At most you have maybe a few days and one viewing to work with and so that's what you have to go on at the time - as it's impossible to know if and how your opinion may change based on future discussion that haven't happened yet. That's just how it works.

If you're just going to flip flop then it renders all your reviews null and void.
Something think about: if that is the case, why then would someone pretend to change their mind about a review they made? Because that's what you were originally arguing Film Brain did, yet from what you say that would be an incredibly risky thing to do.
Furthermore, if changing your opinion some time down the line 'renders all your reviews null and void' why would saying you had help cosy-up to other critics (which is the motivation you ascribed to him)? After all, professional critics, having done lots of reviews, should know how damaging this is to your credibility, so why would they be impressed by it?

And going back to FB's Revenge of the Fallen review, he said in his first review, the movie was basically mindless entertainment, but still entertainment and good. If you admit something's just mindless entertainment, you admit it has flaws, but overall it's still enjoyable. You know it's bad, but it's still entertaining. Why should all the things he complained about in his second review affect how he feels about it? You found it enjoyable the first time with all these flaws, so why should other people's opinion affect you - you already acknowledge to flaws but still find there's enjoyment in it.

Now I obviously can't definitely answer this, because it's really a question for him. However, I'd expect the most likely answer to be was that he didn't realise how bad the flaws actually were on his first viewing. Flaws that may have turned-out to be severe enough to negate other entertainment value. If you were to go in to something expecting it to be 'mindless' you probably won't subject it to the same sort of critical viewing that you might otherwise which might lead you to overlook flaws which upon closer examination are actually quite severe.
Again though, this is just speculation on my part.

Name some other examples and cite the specific example because I've yet to see any other instance of this, and I want to know how they changed their opinion - was it something minor like they didn't think a piece of art wasn't as good as they thought but still enjoyable, or was it a complete 180.
Ok, Todd's opinion of The Black Eyed Peas. Back in his Youtube days he happily admitted he had quite a soft spot for the band and, on his very first 'top ten hit songs of the year' list he went as far as to say he might even call himself a fan. Fast forward to the present and that opinion seems to have changed. Most of his end of year lists usually contain some minor revisions on his opinions of songs he already reviewed too.

Again, I would also point-out that Film Brain is also basically the only reviewer on the site who is in the position where this sort of opinion change would be that public. Reasons why already detailed in my last post.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-27, 10:04 PM
It finally hit me! I was wondering why this show seemed so familiar then I realized what it was. It's Home Movies. That some that used to be on Adult Swim. Demo Reel is just Home Movies. Think about it: 3 characters, male leader, and a male and female sidekick who all make movies. Yeah, the kids from Home Movies did remake movies like Demo Reel, but a lot of the time the films they made spoofed a specific film or genre.

And then I realized something else. One of the reasons Home Movies worked was it was a bunch of kids making movies. Yeah, they were voiced by adults and often spoke like adults, but they were still kids. And being kids they had a lot of weird ideas for movies. But that's just kids. It was kind of charming to see. The weird stuff a child could think of (even if it is an adult writing a child) but the reason it was entertaining was because these felt like real ideas thought up by kids. Just making the characters adults I think loses why the concept worked.

Sunken Valley
2012-10-28, 04:40 AM
It finally hit me! I was wondering why this show seemed so familiar then I realized what it was. It's Home Movies. That some that used to be on Adult Swim. Demo Reel is just Home Movies. Think about it: 3 characters, male leader, and a male and female sidekick who all make movies. Yeah, the kids from Home Movies did remake movies like Demo Reel, but a lot of the time the films they made spoofed a specific film or genre.

And then I realized something else. One of the reasons Home Movies worked was it was a bunch of kids making movies. Yeah, they were voiced by adults and often spoke like adults, but they were still kids. And being kids they had a lot of weird ideas for movies. But that's just kids. It was kind of charming to see. The weird stuff a child could think of (even if it is an adult writing a child) but the reason it was entertaining was because these felt like real ideas thought up by kids. Just making the characters adults I think loses why the concept worked.

Yes and No.

In 2011 Doug Walker (as himself) did a list of his top 20 favourite TV shows. Home Movies was number 2 (number 1 was Daria). We know that of Doug's two new projects with his direct involvement (Demo Reel and the talk show) one was planned for years as "what to do after NC was over", the other was recently developed. Maybe Demo Reel was planned from the beginning as a take on Home Movies (which Mr Walker loves so much).

However, Doug won't straight off copy it. I think he's smart enough to bring something new to the table. A new take which will differentiate it from Home Movies despite being similar. Like how the Seth MacFarlane Shows are all the same style of humour but yet they all do it in their own different way.

Mauve Shirt
2012-10-28, 08:45 PM
Re: Reviewers' opinions not changing over time, I'd like to point out that the entire point of the Nostalgia Critic was originally him watching things he liked and remarking on how terrible they are now. So clearly even an Internet Critic's opinion changes. :smalltongue:
I don't know why people didn't like To Boldly Flee or Suburban Knights. I enjoyed them because they were genre spoofs and had (slightly) more plot than Kickassia. I'm not so sure about Demo Reel though. It looks like instead of broad genre spoofs they're going to make fun of specific movies. I haven't seen enough movies to find that especially interesting.

Prime32
2012-10-28, 09:09 PM
To Boldly Flee... didn't really do much spoofing. A lot of it was just direct reenactments of scenes from Star Wars. Suburban Knights had more original material, and a scarier villain.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-28, 09:24 PM
Like how the Seth MacFarlane Shows are all the same style of humour but yet they all do it in their own different way.

Seth MacFarlane has multiple shows?:smallconfused: The only show I know he's done is the American Family Cleveland Dad Guy Show. And the weird thing about the show is that it doesn't have a consistent opening theme. It's usually one of three. And the family usually switches focus sometimes. Like sometimes we focus on the Griffins, other times the Smiths, and sometimes the Clevelands. But they're all the same show, that's for sure.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Zevox
2012-10-30, 11:05 PM
So, the first episode is up.

Eh. It got a couple of laughs out of me, but that's it. Much as expected, plenty of jokes I didn't get due to being unfamiliar with the source material, or with some of the references (actors, mainly - I know almost nothing about pretty much any of them).

As I said before, I'll likely still watch it for a while to give Doug a chance to improve, but as-is, I don't expect I'll end up a regular viewer the way I was with Nostalgia Critic.

Zevox

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-31, 02:32 AM
Eh. It got a couple of laughs out of me, but that's it. Much as expected, plenty of jokes I didn't get due to being unfamiliar with the source material, or with some of the references (actors, mainly - I know almost nothing about pretty much any of them).

As I said before, I'll likely still watch it for a while to give Doug a chance to improve, but as-is, I don't expect I'll end up a regular viewer the way I was with Nostalgia Critic.

I'm sort of the same way. I think the part of the NC's reviews I liked the least were those where he play-acted as a different character for a bit. And this show looks like just that stretched over a half-hour. The Tacoma character is definitely my favorite, but I don't think one character can hold up a show.

I'll watch for a month or so before I give up, but as is I already skipped through most of the episode.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-31, 03:30 PM
Well, that was a thing...I think that's all I can say about it. A lot of the jokes were a miss. The only joke I found really funny was the Randy Newman joke that was at the very beginning. Oh, and something that annoyed me was the run time: it was said by Doug himself this would be an hour long premiere. Thing was barely over 40 minutes. I'll give the show a few more chances, but my hopes are high. But I can say this for the show: it's way better than Blockbuster Buster.

SDF
2012-10-31, 03:39 PM
I just cant get into the new show at all. I didnt even make it through the whole first episode. The girl character really annoys me, and none of the characters are really likable. It is basically Be Kind Rewind, but without the talent, budget, or cohesive plot. Thats all just from most of the first episode, but I wont be giving the others a shot until I hear good things about it for a while. I just dont have the time to invest.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-31, 03:42 PM
I just cant get into the new show at all. I didnt even make it through the whole first episode. The girl character really annoys me, and none of the characters are really likable.

It annoyed me more they tried to pass her off as a child in several scenes. Yeah, I know part of the joke is everything is supposed to be unconvincing, and women on average do look more child-like then men, but she just looks like a female adult.

Tengu_temp
2012-10-31, 04:37 PM
Saw the first part, dunno should I watch the second. A few of the jokes amused me, but overall this was one of the weakest of Doug's videos I've seen. And the fandom seems to share my opinion, because the average rating is around 3.5 stars as we speak - by TGWTG standards, that's catastrophically low. If the quality won't improve or the second show won't be any better, then I don't see a bright future for Doug.

Let's compare it to another TGWTG non-review show. Ninja the Mission Force was way better, and it showed how to do a purposely bad show right. And its gimmick still got tired in a few episodes.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-31, 05:05 PM
A lot of the jokes were also very predictable. Like, the second I heard the set up, I knew where this is going, and it wasn't that funny even if I didn't know. Like the joke at the very end of part two, when what's-hi-name (I really can't remember the one guy's name) suggest they just show Alfred looking at something but we never see what at the end of Dark Knight Rises. I immediately knew they're not going to show it, but they're going to exposition the crap out of what Alfred sees. That's the joke. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEuLXLNGBo)

Zevox
2012-10-31, 05:47 PM
A lot of the jokes were also very predictable. Like, the second I heard the set up, I knew where this is going, and it wasn't that funny even if I didn't know. Like the joke at the very end of part two, when what's-hi-name (I really can't remember the one guy's name) suggest they just show Alfred looking at something but we never see what at the end of Dark Knight Rises. I immediately knew they're not going to show it, but they're going to exposition the crap out of what Alfred sees. That's the joke. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEuLXLNGBo)
For that particular joke, I agree, way too telegraphed. For others, I usually only saw them coming when they were rehashes of jokes from his Bum Review of The Dark Knight Rises. Nonetheless, as I said, not many worked for me, and I don't even know that they could have given that I haven't seen those movies.

Zevox

Sunken Valley
2012-10-31, 06:51 PM
Seth MacFarlane has multiple shows? The only show I know he's done is the American Family Cleveland Dad Guy Show. And the weird thing about the show is that it doesn't have a consistent opening theme. It's usually one of three. And the family usually switches focus sometimes. Like sometimes we focus on the Griffins, other times the Smiths, and sometimes the Clevelands. But they're all the same show, that's for sure.

@Dr Epic: Cleveland's Family are the Brown's. Not the Cleveland's. Also, only family guy has overly long cutaways and American Dad's characters are distorted mirror images of Family Guy's. So slightly different humour, different shows. And there's Ted.

I thought Demo Reel was okay. I think the hour included commercials, as with most yank shows. I think they made too much of Malcolm's race and Doug's marriage (used as justification for his forgetfulness in removing the ring). Liked the "ninja gaiden hands" joke. Liked Rob as camera man. Liked ominous post-credits scene. Think it will grow the beard. Maybe it just has early instalment bugs like TNG. Or OOTS. OOTS was rubbish before Trigak appeared. If people didn’t stick with OOTS it would have died. Let’s not kill Demo Reel until October 2013

turkishproverb
2012-10-31, 06:56 PM
I'm sort of the same way. I think the part of the NC's reviews I liked the least were those where he play-acted as a different character for a bit. And this show looks like just that stretched over a half-hour. The Tacoma character is definitely my favorite, but I don't think one character can hold up a show.

I'll watch for a month or so before I give up, but as is I already skipped through most of the episode.

I'm....not sure how good an idea that is with comedy. You miss jokes.

Dr.Epic
2012-10-31, 08:26 PM
@Dr Epic: Cleveland's Family are the Brown's. Not the Cleveland's. Also, only family guy has overly long cutaways and American Dad's characters are distorted mirror images of Family Guy's. So slightly different humour, different shows. And there's Ted.

No, I'm pretty sure they're all the same show. There's Fat Dad, Daughter he Hates, Hot Mom, Dorky Out of Shape Son, and two things that talk that shouldn't talk. Oh, I love thing that talks that shouldn't talk!

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-31, 10:07 PM
I'm....not sure how good an idea that is with comedy. You miss jokes.

If the show could keep my interest through some of the jokes, then this wouldn't be an issue. As it stands, even the good jokes have already been done before, and usually more competently than here.

I feel for Doug, I really do. But this show needs help, fast.

Sunken Valley
2012-11-01, 01:08 PM
No, I'm pretty sure they're all the same show. There's Fat Dad, Daughter he Hates, Hot Mom, Dorky Out of Shape Son, and two things that talk that shouldn't talk. Oh, I love thing that talks that shouldn't talk!

Only Family Guy has two things. Rallo from Cleveland is a toddler and can talk. Roger is an alien and doesn't exist, meaning he can't "shouldn't" talk.

American Dad does not have a fat dad. Stan is the nigh opposite of Peter Griffin. Peter is incompetant and works at a desk. Stan is a competant CIA man. Peter is a jerk with no respect for his family. Stan is overprotective of them. Peter makes jokes. Stan does not intentionally. Peter has ADD. Stan has no imagination.

Whilst Francine and Lois are both hot, Lois is too competant compared to her family and has a mean streak. Francine is a bimbo but well-meaning.

American Dad's does not have an "out of shape" son. Steve is in shape. Unlike Chris, a clone of his dad, Steve is the opposite of his dad in interests and physique but still respects his Pa. Steve also has friends, unlike Chris.

Stan doesn't hate Haley. He is just disappointed. Also, unlike Meg, Hayley is a strong independant attractive woman.

Klaus is getting less and less screen time. Brian dominated the show.

Stewie and Roger are pretty similar as the dark horse comic relief

Dr.Epic
2012-11-01, 03:43 PM
Only Family Guy has two things. Rallo from Cleveland is a toddler and can talk.

Pardon me. It's not like he's draw with the exact same proportions as Stewie - a baby. And plus he says the exact same things a toddler says and doesn't speak like an adult at all so it's all good.:smallwink:

Roger is an alien and doesn't exist, meaning he can't "shouldn't" talk.

Again, my mistake. It's not like a alien is as surreal as a talking bear, or fish, or dog. All three shows are completely grounded in reality...or some of them aren't because the shows aren't all clones of each other and by that I mean clones of the Simpsons.:smallwink:

American Dad does not have a fat dad.

Um, Stan has a beer belly. He's fat. He might have more muscle, but he's fat.

Stan is the nigh opposite of Peter Griffin. Peter is incompetant and works at a desk. Stan is a competant CIA man.

I'm pretty sure Stan's gotten several people killed because of his incompetence.

Peter is a jerk with no respect for his family. Stan is overprotective of them.

And Stan does have respect? There are several episodes where he talks down to Francine, (passive aggressively) makes fun of Steve's hobby's, and frankly just puts down everything Hayley believes in.

Peter makes jokes. Stan does not intentionally. Peter has ADD. Stan has no imagination.

Making jokes unintentionally=still making jokes. Not to mention Stan's dialogue and actions have plenty of comical moments, and Peter can be very strict at time.

Whilst Francine and Lois are both hot, Lois is too competant compared to her family and has a mean streak. Francine is a bimbo but well-meaning.

Those are minor difference. They're still the same archetype.

American Dad's does not have an "out of shape" son. Steve is in shape.

Yeah, okay. Name all the episodes Steve scored the winning touch down.

Stan doesn't hate Haley. He is just disappointed. Also, unlike Meg, Hayley is a strong independant attractive woman.

Sorry, my mistake because the attitude they both have to their daughters is so positive and encouraging...or maybe one isn't encouraging because these are definitely different shows and it's so easy to tell them apart and all.:smallwink:

Klaus is getting less and less screen time. Brian dominated the show.

Again, my mistake. How foolish of me to think two shows created by Seth MacFarlance about a middle class with a taking animal. It's not like we're splitting hairs here or anything.:smallwink:

Stewie and Roger are pretty similar as the dark horse comic relief

Flamboyant baby is the dark horse comic relief? He hasn't done anything evil since season 3.

Dienekes
2012-11-01, 05:39 PM
Gentleman, if I may. This thread is about bashing Doug Walker's new show, not bashing Seth McFarlane's old shows. Please take it to another thread.

Anyway, saw the first episode. Ehh, there were some funny bits here and there, but everyone needs to get more comfortable in their roles. Bane/Joker/Writer especially delivers some lines poorly, but I still felt for his character the most.

The most consistently funny was Robb's German Guy though.

TFT
2012-11-01, 07:26 PM
Spoilered for length/spoilers(not that the spoilers matter)

Overall I felt like the first episode was okay, but Batman was a bad choice. The jokes were too obvious and have been done to death. If he was doing a more obscure one, or one where the jokes haven't been beaten to death it might be better.

Some bits felt like either critiques or pointing out plot holes that if you squinted and turned your head a bit, the inflection and timing make it so it might be considered a joke(The Alfred leaving part, the prison part as 2 good examples), which are probably from writing the Nostalgia Critic for so long. While it works there, I'm not quite sure if the style of joke works here. What kind of worked in the same vein, at least for me, was the police not getting to Rachel because of the gps. And that's because he didn't point out the plot hole like in the Alfred part so much as made a joke off the plot hole. I think if he does less of just pointing out the plot holes and more of using the plot holes to make good jokes, it will be better off.) Neither hits or misses, just something I felt could be pointed out.

Then there were the misses(The Michael Jackson one, the bane voice(Except the fact you could tell that the girl's voice was dubbed when they were trying it out. I laughed for a different reason then the joke at that.), the "All of the twists" ending, as some examples), which was about a third of the bits for me. Not exactly sure why, but they just didn't work. Probably somewhere within the three categories of already been done(Bane voice), poor execution(so many twists), or just a bad idea for a joke(Micheal Jackson).

There were some jokes I liked. Mostly it was character bits, like the parts with Carl Coppenhagen and Quinn , some of Rebecca's lines (The echoing of Dupre for some scenes and "Shakespeare's a perv"), some of Tacoma's lines (Most of the straight man bits, not so much when he gets angry), and some of Dupre's lines(most of the offhand remarks before a cut for example), but just as many jokes were misses as hits. I feel like all of the characters have potential though, and hopefully as the actors get into them, the jokes will get better(Depends on the writing too). There were very few of the jokes I liked from the parody bits though, maybe 3-5 at most.

So overall, I liked crew bits okay and hope they get better, but I feel like the parody bits need work. Maybe it's because of the topic, and maybe Doug just needs time to get used to writing in a different style, but right now it isn't quite there, in my opinion. Going to give it a few more episodes, but if it doesn't improve too much I'll probably just watch the crew bits and look for highlights of the parody bits.

On the other hand, did anyone else feel like the trailer just ruined a couple of the better jokes? There were a couple for me that I would have laughed at if I had seen it for the first time, but because I saw the trailer I didn't find quite as funny.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-01, 09:12 PM
Gentleman, if I may. This thread is about bashing Doug Walker's new show, not bashing Seth McFarlane's old shows. Please take it to another thread.

But I'm good at bashing Seth MacFarlane's shows.:smallfrown: Can we compromise and bash Blockbuster Buster. That guy's far worse than Demo Reel and Melvin Brother of the Joker combined.

Back on topic, Doug has promised us two other shows: a game show and something else, so I won't be stopping watching TGWTG until at least I see those.

Makensha
2012-11-01, 09:38 PM
But I'm good at bashing Seth MacFarlane's shows.:smallfrown:
Debatable.

Can we compromise and bash Blockbuster Buster? That guy's far worse than Demo Reel and Melvin Brother of the Joker combined.
Why bother? He puts a lot of effort in making a mediocre show. There's nothing worth complaining about. And if you think he's bad, go look at some of the videos on the site from independent reviewers. He could be a lot worse. Also changed the period into a question mark. Cuz grammer nazi Yo

Anyway, I agree with The Fiery Tower on most points. I feel like the next few episodes should focus on fleshing out the main characters, as right now they are a bit too 2-d to hold a show in the long run. I also hope Doug differentiates Dupre from Critic.

An Enemy Spy
2012-11-01, 11:34 PM
But I'm good at bashing Seth MacFarlane's shows.:smallfrown: Can we compromise and bash Blockbuster Buster. That guy's far worse than Demo Reel and Melvin Brother of the Joker combined.

Back on topic, Doug has promised us two other shows: a game show and something else, so I won't be stopping watching TGWTG until at least I see those.

What is your deal with the Blockbuster Buster? You bash him on virtually every comment you make related to TGWTG. Does he suck? Maybe, I don't watch him, but it's not like he killed your dog. Get over it.

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-02, 01:21 PM
Bit behind, since when I last tried, Blip was out all day.

Saw the first part, dunno should I watch the second. A few of the jokes amused me, but overall this was one of the weakest of Doug's videos I've seen. And the fandom seems to share my opinion, because the average rating is around 3.5 stars as we speak - by TGWTG standards, that's catastrophically low. If the quality won't improve or the second show won't be any better, then I don't see a bright future for Doug.

Let's compare it to another TGWTG non-review show. Ninja the Mission Force was way better, and it showed how to do a purposely bad show right. And its gimmick still got tired in a few episodes.

Yeah... It was...okay... Not bad, per se, and there were a few moments that were funny... But it was mostly smile-at humour, rather than laugh out loud. I dunno, there just felt like there was something missing... Not quite sure what. It felt... I dunno... almost to zany, too overblown for being ghood satire - and in most places, it didn't feel quite as intelligently pointed as Doug's reviews have been. And the bits with the Demo Reel crew were by far the least entertaining bits, and they kinda annoyed me a bit.

I'll probably watch a few more, but it's going to have to improve quite a lot to reach even the same standard as NC.

Judging by the fan reaction, though Doug must be a bit concerned. As you say 3.5 is very low for TGWTG. It's the same as Doug's Bart's Nightmare Let's Play, which, given the apparent fan reaction he felt the need to apologise (in good humour, I thought) for. (Personally, I didn't think that was all that bad, but it was far from his best work.)

On the other hand, reading between the lines, this has convinced me even more that I am even less interested in the last two Nolan Batman movies (I've seen the first as was unimpressed) than I was before...

turkishproverb
2012-11-02, 01:46 PM
On the other hand, reading between the lines, this has convinced me even more that I am even less interested in the last two Nolan Batman movies (I've seen the first as was unimpressed) than I was before...

Really, you should watch movie 2, it's better than BB in at least some ways. Movie 3 was crap though, yea.

Tengu_temp
2012-11-02, 07:31 PM
(Personally, I didn't think that was all that bad, but it was far from his best work.)

Yeah. That pseudo-LP wasn't awful, and I got the joke for which he was aiming with it, something a lot of people apparently didn't. He made many worse reviews, like Transformers or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and nobody wanted him to apologize for these.

0Megabyte
2012-11-03, 02:09 AM
Really, you should watch movie 2, it's better than BB in at least some ways. Movie 3 was crap though, yea.

...not by any reasonable standard of bad movies. It certainly wasn't The Matrix Reloaded. It may not have been quite as good as The Dark Knight, but then again, how could it? It didn't have Heath Ledger.

turkishproverb
2012-11-03, 02:48 AM
It made no sense. The plot was gibberish, character motivations were, at best, weak, and the action actually moved a step DOWN from Dark Knight. I enjoy insane filmmaking (heck, I own tetsuo the iron man) but that film wasn't insane, it was a mess. The acting was the least of it's problems.

SDF
2012-11-03, 03:37 AM
I liked the third film WAY better than the second myself.

Dienekes
2012-11-03, 05:15 AM
Ehh, I thought TDK was better but I still enjoyed TDKR a lot. I can't really say the action went down after the Bane fight in the sewer. The plot was complicated but I wouldn't call it gibberish, unless you are knowledgeable of stock market practices, then I can see how the movie would be a disappointment. I however am not so that section didn't bother me.

As for weak motivations, well TDK did have it's main villain do everything because he thought it was funny. Now I love the Joker, but motivation has never been his strong point. TDKRs villains motivation is the same as Bruce's which I personally thought was interesting.

Dumbledore lives
2012-11-07, 01:08 AM
Well I liked his little short thing, I think I may have actually gotten more laughs out of it than I did the full episode. I think one problem was that everyone has joked about the Dark Knight, I personally really didn't like it as well so I had seen and made most of the legitimate criticism. I have high hopes for the show though, I think there are some good ideas and Doug is talented at writing so after a few episodes I expect it to get much better.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-07, 01:35 AM
Well I liked his little short thing, I think I may have actually gotten more laughs out of it than I did the full episode.

I liked it too. I'm kind of confused though. Doug said he'd have a new Demo Reel related video. That was clearly the Nostalgia Critic in the video. Though, he wasn't wearing his usual attire. He was dressed as that one guy from Demo Reel, the director - I forget his name. But it was still definitely the Nostalgia Critic in that video.:smallwink:

Dumbledore lives
2012-11-21, 12:52 AM
Well the new Demo Reel came out and honestly I think it was a great improvement. It was significantly more disjointed but in some cases that was a good thing, as it was doing more than just making fun of a single movie. I suspect it will continue to improve as the series progresses, and have to say I'm kind of looking forward to it now.

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-21, 08:54 AM
I think the fact that it seemed less of a parody - which I don't think works quite as well without Doug's analysis - and more of a straight comedy worked better in it's favour (less Zero Punctuation, more Loading Ready Run, to use an analogy). This was much better than the first episode (I admit, I was very dubious about watching the second one.)

I'm still a bit dubious, but it's a marked improvement.

Also, Rob is going to steal the show completely with that character.

Sunken Valley
2012-11-21, 12:24 PM
I can't watch this. The title says Wreck it Ralph. Wreck it Ralph is not in UK for 3 months (Feb 15). I cannot watch this for fear of spoilers. Can anyone tell me which bits are spoilerific so I can fast forward.

Tengu_temp
2012-11-21, 01:10 PM
I don't know. I haven't seen Wreck-It Ralph, and I don't consider myself spoiled from watching this video. It helps that the parts that are actually the movie they're making are very brief here.

Overall, I think the show is going into a good direction. The movie parody parts still need an improvement, but the plot with the turkey was pretty enjoyable. And yes, Rob totally stole this one.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-21, 02:39 PM
Didn't watch it 'cause I've yet to see Wreck It Ralph, but this does bring up a question I have to ask: is Doug only going to spoof new movies? I mean, last time it was Dark Knight Rise (as well as the rest of the other Batman films), and this time Wreck It Ralph. Are we gonna get Skyfall or Red Dawn next time? Oh, I bet anything there's a Hobbit spoof coming. I'm just not sure all these flavors of the month are going to stand up well.

Zevox
2012-11-21, 07:25 PM
Just watched it, and yeah, I'll give it that it was an improvement over the first episode. I did like the parts where they give the new actors' characters (I still haven't learned their names I'm afraid) some actual background and development, and the humor that wasn't based on movies worked better for me. Even so though a lot still fell flat, including parts that weren't movie based, so I'm still not convinced it's going to end up something I watch regularly, much less a worthy successor to the Nostalgia Critic.

As for Wreck-It Ralph, I haven't seen it either, and probably won't, but I can't say that this spoiled anything that sounded important. Maybe part of one character's backstory, but that's about it, and I couldn't possibly tell you whether that would be important in the actual movie based on this. The episode doesn't actually spend much time parodying Wreck-It Ralph itself from what I can tell.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2012-11-23, 04:13 PM
I'm calling there's a 50% the next film is the remake of Red Dawn. Based on the last two being recent films, I'd say there is a trend. Also, if they remake it, then it'll be a double remake and I doubt they'd pass up on that joke.

Zevox
2012-11-23, 07:31 PM
I'm calling there's a 50% the next film is the remake of Red Dawn. Based on the last two being recent films, I'd say there is a trend. Also, if they remake it, then it'll be a double remake and I doubt they'd pass up on that joke.
I'd say that two episodes is insufficient to establish a trend in that regard. Especially since the first one actually covered three movies, only one of which was recent - and recent only in that it released this year, not in that it had just come out like Wreck-It Ralph.

Zevox

An Enemy Spy
2012-11-24, 02:08 PM
I can't watch this. The title says Wreck it Ralph. Wreck it Ralph is not in UK for 3 months (Feb 15). I cannot watch this for fear of spoilers. Can anyone tell me which bits are spoilerific so I can fast forward.

It gives absolutely nothing away. Of the almost thirty minute episode, maybe three or four minutes are spent on the parody, and most of that is watching Rebecca spaz out on copious amounts of drugs.

An Enemy Spy
2012-11-24, 09:27 PM
I for one love that one of the characters is named Tacoma Narrows, a body of water that I cross every day.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-28, 12:31 AM
So, where's the new episode or short or whatever?:smallannoyed:

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-28, 04:45 AM
So, where's the new episode or short or whatever?:smallannoyed:

It's coming out every other week, Doug said as much in an announcement a couple of weeks ago.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-28, 06:27 AM
It's coming out every other week, Doug said as much in an announcement a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, he also said that every week there would be something Demo Reel related even if it wasn't a new episode. So where is it?:smallannoyed:

Callyn
2012-11-28, 11:47 AM
No, he said there would be SOMETHING. He put up two new episodes of Sibling Rivalry.

Tengu_temp
2012-11-28, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't mind having Sibling Rivalry every week. Videos where Doug and Rob talk about something together are often among the best he puts up.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-28, 05:13 PM
No, he said there would be SOMETHING. He put up two new episodes of Sibling Rivalry.

Nope.:smalltongue: Doug specifically said every week, there'd be something Demo Reel related, either a new episode (every two weeks) or like a trailer or something in between. I even went back and checked what he said in the first episode of Demo Reel.

Here's a link to the vid. He says this in the first minute of part 1 so you don't have to watch much of it if you don't want to. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/demo-reel/37080-demo-reel-the-dark-knight-begins-rising)

So, let me ask again. Where the heck is my Demo Reel related vid?:smallannoyed:

turkishproverb
2012-11-28, 07:26 PM
It's only Wednesday. he's got time to get it to you.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-29, 04:51 PM
It's only Wednesday. he's got time to get it to you.

Not anymore it's not.

So where's the new video?:smallannoyed:

I swear, I'm this close to just saying good bye to TGWGT.com and just going to all the reviewers' sites I still watch.

Dumbledore lives
2012-11-29, 09:12 PM
Not anymore it's not.

So where's the new video?:smallannoyed:

I swear, I'm this close to just saying good bye to TGWGT.com and just going to all the reviewers' sites I still watch.

For someone who dislike the first episode immensely you seem to have changed your tone quite a bit. It just surprises me people get so upset that their free content is a little bit later than usual, especially when Doug did put up something, the sibling rivalry videos, of which there were two. True they are not quite the same but still it's a decent amount of content.

Zevox
2012-12-05, 06:37 PM
So, new episode.

My god, that was boring. And I'm sure it's because of the exact problem I was most worried about with this show from the start: I've never seen (or even heard of in this case) the movie they're parodying, so literally all of the parody went right over my head. I couldn't even begin to guess which scenes were parody of the movie and which weren't. And without that, there was precious little entertainment in there, and I don't think I ever got a real laugh out of the few jokes there were.

Quite disappointed really. The second episode was a step up from the first, but this one was worse than the first, at least for me. Really makes me question whether I should just jump ship on the show now.

Zevox

An Enemy Spy
2012-12-05, 09:57 PM
For someone who dislike the first episode immensely you seem to have changed your tone quite a bit. It just surprises me people get so upset that their free content is a little bit later than usual, especially when Doug did put up something, the sibling rivalry videos, of which there were two. True they are not quite the same but still it's a decent amount of content.

Dr. Epic is unpleasable.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-05, 10:00 PM
Dr. Epic is unpleasable.

Then you obviously haven't checked the last Legend of Korra thread (whenever that was relevant).

Dumbledore lives
2012-12-06, 01:11 AM
Yeah I don't know the new episode has some good ideas, and it was interesting just how meta it got at points, and I did really like the idea of a parody of Lost in Translation at a Anime convention, but on the whole it just wasn't funny. Most of the scenes dragged on too long, they where talking about stuff most geeks already know and weren't making any astute observations or anything, and there where just some weird choices made. I'll continue watching but I have to echo the statement above it was just kind of, boring.

Dienekes
2012-12-06, 01:19 AM
Never seen Lost in Translation. Don't know what it's about. I figure that it's about random people hooking up in Japan or something? No idea.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned this show is riding on the fact that German and Irish cliches can be kinda funny as dark protagonists. I chuckled a few times at the cameramen, and that's about it.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-06, 02:56 PM
Anyone else think Melvin Brother of the Joker is starting to look very good by comparison?

The best part of video(s) was Egoraptor's cameo, and that was mostly because I could tell he was having the time of his life. He was having fun regardless of everything else and I could feel that energy and that made me happy. The funniest joke to me was "If you want your poop rocky, eat Pocky," and that's only because part of my brain still has the sense of humor of a five year old.

Also, this may be just me, but does anyone else sense a lack of chemistry between all the characters? I can't sense any bonds between them, and they don't work off each other well. Everything just seems forced and rigid.

Also, and this is just me, I don't like plotlines in these sort of videos. It's one of the reason I hardly ever watch Linkara's stuff.

Makensha
2012-12-06, 04:34 PM
Also, this may be just me, but does anyone else sense a lack of chemistry between all the characters? I can't sense any bonds between them, and they don't work off each other well. Everything just seems forced and rigid.
They seem to be from three different universes. Donnie a parody, other guy from a comedy, and the girl from an innocent comedy movie (aka she's pinky pie with occasional violent tendencies). While all three roles exist in each type of movie, it feels like they are acting three different versions of the same script.

Also, and this is just me, I don't like plotlines in these sort of videos. It's one of the reason I hardly ever watch Linkara's stuff.
I felt like having a storyline was what made it bearable. I also did not realize the con scenes were a LoT parody until part 2, so perhaps it is a little weird.

Even though the comedy was not funny, I thought this was the best. It felt more focused.

As a side note, I find the constant racial jokes irritating.

turkishproverb
2012-12-06, 07:45 PM
I liked it. Better than episode 1, at any rate.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-18, 09:59 PM
So...where's the new episode?:smallconfused: I'm not asking out of anger or anything. I'm actually curious about were the new episode is. Last update was two weeks ago.

Did Doug call it quits? Oh well. And what a shame. Making live action Home Movies with all adult characters seemed like such a good idea.:smallwink:

SDF
2012-12-18, 11:08 PM
Doug put up the first episode of an interview show. I thought this was the one Brad Jones was going to do, and am infinitely bummed because I really like Brad Jones (and dislike Mara Wilson, but that is neither here nor there). I heard they may also do a game show type thing though? Maybe he was going to host that. I havent watched anything demo reel related since the first episode, and it kind of sounds like a production bomb at this point.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-18, 11:29 PM
He should just bring back Nostalgia Critic because different is always bad!:smallwink::smalltongue:

Zevox
2012-12-18, 11:38 PM
Doug put up the first episode of an interview show. I thought this was the one Brad Jones was going to do, and am infinitely bummed because I really like Brad Jones (and dislike Mara Wilson, but that is neither here nor there). I heard they may also do a game show type thing though? Maybe he was going to host that. I havent watched anything demo reel related since the first episode, and it kind of sounds like a production bomb at this point.
The game show was the one intended for Brad to host.

Kinda curious why no Demo Reel this week myself. I know they had a couple of other shows they intended Doug to do as well (apparently Sibling Rivalry and Shut Up and Talk), but those were supposed to be in addition to Demo Reel, happening in the weeks between its episodes, at least last I heard.

Dumbledore lives
2012-12-19, 12:29 AM
The game show was the one intended for Brad to host.

Kinda curious why no Demo Reel this week myself. I know they had a couple of other shows they intended Doug to do as well (apparently Sibling Rivalry and Shut Up and Talk), but those were supposed to be in addition to Demo Reel, happening in the weeks between its episodes, at least last I heard.

I'd guess it's simply taking longer to may Demo Reel than they anticipated, given that it seems like the show is slowly slowing. I suspect there will be another one next week with maybe an explanation as to why it is late.

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-19, 08:36 AM
It might be that the fact that it hasn't been as well recieved as Doug would have liked (I didn't bother watching the last one, personally) that he's frantically trying to "fix" it behind the scenes, or launch something else to try to grab a few people back or something.

Zevox
2012-12-25, 01:28 AM
So, new one's up.

Better than last week's, not that that's a high bar. Got a few laughs out of me here and there. Still, doing little to convince me the show is worth staying with. I think if the next one doesn't give me a very good reason to keep watching, I'll stop bothering. Much as I'd like to give Doug more episodes to see if he hits some kind of stride, since the second episode and this one did at least show some potential, the fact that the episodes are only one every 2 (or 3, twice now) weeks is reducing my patience there.

Sunken Valley
2013-01-11, 10:11 AM
New one is up!!!!!!!!

Best one of the lot!

What do you think? I know not everyone likes it: Sad Panda made a comment about in on page one of the comments that was thought provoking but do you agree?

Dr.Epic
2013-01-11, 04:30 PM
Saw the new episode was up, but didn't watch it. I didn't watch the one before it, and Doug said the show will be story driven so I'm sure there's continuity. If I'm going to watch the new episode, I'd have to watch the one before it, and I'm not that attached to it to keep watching.

Honestly, it kind of feels like all the shows on TGWTG have gone downhill since Doug retired the Nostalgia Critic. Typically I love the Cinema Snob but the new episodes aren't that good and I feel myself only watching Brad's show to watch the 200th episode. And I don't even remember the last time Phelous put out a good episode.

Zevox
2013-01-11, 06:05 PM
New one is up!!!!!!!!

Best one of the lot!

What do you think?
Meh. Honestly, this is the point where I jump ship. The show very occasionally has some good moments, but on the whole, it's definitely not for me. I'd say the second episode is still my favorite, for whatever that's worth - it gave me the most hope for the show. Then the third was boring as hell, and the last couple weren't entertaining me very much for most of their run time.

I'll still be vising TGWTG, but mainly for Atop the Fourth Wall. From Doug it looks like all I'll be watching are Bum Reviews and Sibling Rivalry now.

Makensha
2013-01-11, 06:49 PM
Honestly, it kind of feels like all the shows on TGWTG have gone downhill since Doug retired the Nostalgia Critic. Typically I love the Cinema Snob but the new episodes aren't that good and I feel myself only watching Brad's show to watch the 200th episode. And I don't even remember the last time Phelous put out a good episode.

The problem is that these people are running on a one trick pony (their specific style). Once one is tired of that, there's nothing new to them. NC, AT4W, BMB and Phelous especially have "haven't I heard this joke before" syndrome.

The shows that appeal to me the most are those that are more informative than comical. That's what attracted me to MMO Grinder, AT4W (until I couldn't stand his awful attempts at humor. Seriously, stop with the internet show and make documentaries), JesuOtaku's Anime Reviews (RIP), and the Rap Critic/Todd (they have nearly identical styles)(until I tire of their nit-pick complaining, at least).

Anyhoo, I think I'll continue to watch for now. I've been progressively liking each episode a little more than the last, and I think they're figuring out what they want to do with the show. I also like how they've been poking at problems in the movie industry, and I hope they expand on that in the future.

And I hope they make SWAG a little more threatening in the future.

Tengu_temp
2013-01-11, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I haven't even watched Demo Reel since the second episode - second-hand opinions weren't good enough for me to bother. At least Sibling Rivalry is still amusing.

I'd like JO more if she actually did research, instead of pulling "facts" out of her arse and somehow managing to fool everyone into thinking she has a clue about what she's talking about.

I can kinda see the complaint about Cinema Snob, because his style is different recently - he's much more self-referential and poking fun at his status as a film snob, which forces him to like movies he hasn't seen and hate others because they're not "art". But I don't agree with the complaint, because I don't think he's less funny this way. Just different.

I still watch the same TGWTG shows I always watched - NChick, Cinema Snob, Lupa, Paw, Brows Held High, Todd, sometimes Linkara, Jew Wario when he actually releases something. The overall quality of the site has declined, but that's because some good reviewers left or stopped making their shows and people who make good videos release them less often, not because the good stuff dropped in quality.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-12, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I haven't even watched Demo Reel since the second episode - second-hand opinions weren't good enough for me to bother. At least Sibling Rivalry is still amusing.

I'd like JO more if she actually did research, instead of pulling "facts" out of her arse and somehow managing to fool everyone into thinking she has a clue about what she's talking about.

I can kinda see the complaint about Cinema Snob, because his style is different recently - he's much more self-referential and poking fun at his status as a film snob, which forces him to like movies he hasn't seen and hate others because they're not "art". But I don't agree with the complaint, because I don't think he's less funny this way. Just different.

I still watch the same TGWTG shows I always watched - NChick, Cinema Snob, Lupa, Paw, Brows Held High, Todd, sometimes Linkara, Jew Wario when he actually releases something. The overall quality of the site has declined, but that's because some good reviewers left or stopped making their shows and people who make good videos release them less often, not because the good stuff dropped in quality.

I concur. I still watch all the other I watched before - including Spoony off-site - just sans Doug's new stuff. (Sibling Rivalry didn't do it for me either, but then again I don't watch any of the reviewers more informal reviews anyway.)

Sunken Valley
2013-01-12, 05:59 PM
Guys, you're not giving Demo Reel a fair chance. Nostalgia Critic took time to iron out its kinks. OOTS took a while to iron out its kinks. Avatar took the whole Season One to iron out its kinks. You are not giving Demo Reel enough time.

Demo reel isn't supposed to be funny. Humour is there but it's not the core. The point of demo reel is that it's telling a serious mature story. It's not even about parodying movies anymore, it has transcended that to make the plot a homage that we all can follow. take episode 5 where Donnie is revealed to be a former child actor. He does that monologue about how he just tried to do his job and all he is remembered for is a bad performance. How his mum killed herself whilst he was on set (because she was middle aged and there were no roles for her) and he had to act through it because he had to finish the film. That's mature, thought provoking and deep. But the family holding him hostage just laugh at his misfortune. Just like how doug tries so hard to shed the critic and the fans mock any attempt at this.

The old reviewing style isn't working anymore. Everyone has reviewed everything (except the American Rabbit, cannot believe no one has reviewed that) and they're all stepping on each others styles. The site needs to evolve to progress. And demo reel is part of that. Which the fans are rejecting. Take Korra. It took a while to get going and had to step out of a big shadow. But it did because you stuck with it. Or take OOTS. It's not going to go on forever but are you going to turn on Burlew when he tries to pitch his next creation? Please keep watching Demo Reel. It's a hidden gem but it needs you to make it shine.

Zevox
2013-01-12, 06:31 PM
Guys, you're not giving Demo Reel a fair chance. Nostalgia Critic took time to iron out its kinks. OOTS took a while to iron out its kinks. Avatar took the whole Season One to iron out its kinks. You are not giving Demo Reel enough time.
I stayed with it for two and a half months. In the five episodes made in that time, I didn't actually like any of them, and only two even made me think that it could become something I'd like. It's quite clear to me that the direction he's going with it is not one I'm interested in. In part because of this:

Demo reel isn't supposed to be funny. Humour is there but it's not the core. The point of demo reel is that it's telling a serious mature story.
Bluntly, Doug is not good at that, at least from where I'm sitting. He's a great comedian (usually), but when he tries to write something serious, he just bores me. This was true in the anniversary movies, and it's true in Demo Reel.

The old reviewing style isn't working anymore.
Seems to be working just fine to me. Spoony's Final Fantasy 13 review is as hillarious as I expected, Linkara is still enjoyable, Bum Reviews are still funny when Doug does them. The only thing that's changed from where I'm sitting is that the Nostalgia Critic is gone. Which is a pity, but I respect Doug's choice on that matter.

Take Korra. It took a while to get going and had to step out of a big shadow. But it did because you stuck with it.
Korra season 1 was alright, but I'd hardly say it got substantially better over time. Quite the contrary, the ending was my biggest complaint about it.

Or take OOTS. It's not going to go on forever but are you going to turn on Burlew when he tries to pitch his next creation?
If it turns out to be something that doesn't interest me, then yes (if by "turn on" him you mean "not read it"). Just because I like one thing any given person made doesn't mean I'll like everything he does. I'd be more likely to give whatever he does next a chance because I like OotS, just as I gave Demo Reel a chance even though the trailer didn't exactly leave me with the impression that I'd love it, but that's the extent of it.

Tengu_temp
2013-01-12, 06:40 PM

Even early NC or Avatar had potential and fun. Demo Reel, apart from episode 2, didn't have any of that. It's not ironing out the kinks, it's trying to create an identity for itself and failing. I usually give a show 3 episodes to catch my interest and stop if it still fails at this point, and Demo Reel is over that point. I might return to it if I hear it suddenly becomes good, but there's a slim chance for that.

Demo reel isn't supposed to be funny. Humour is there but it's not the core. The point of demo reel is that it's telling a serious mature story. It's not even about parodying movies anymore, it has transcended that to make the plot a homage that we all can follow.

If what you're saying here is true instead of just a hypothesis you came up with, then Demo Reel will never be good. Why? Because internet reviews generally suck at telling serious stories. Doug is bad at it, Linkara is bad at it... The only one who kinda succeeds at it is Spoony, because his serious parts are just short flashes that are supposed to be creepy. Well, there was also the final part of Ultima 9, which was just depressing (but ended up on an awesome note).

I watch internet reviews for the humour. Without it, there's no point.

The old reviewing style isn't working anymore. Everyone has reviewed everything (except the American Rabbit, cannot believe no one has reviewed that) and they're all stepping on each others styles. The site needs to evolve to progress.

I don't know, other reviewers seem to be doing pretty well.

Sunken Valley
2013-01-13, 07:27 AM
I usually give a show 3 episodes to catch my interest and stop if it still fails at this point, and Demo Reel is over that point.

Okay.

Contradiction!!! How can you say you give it a chance when you've only given it two episodes, and not the three you claim to give shows?

Also Demo Reel is not an internet review show. It is an internet show with a narrative. It does not review anything. Or are you saying that internet shows in general are bad at telling stories? Dr Horrible wasn't. The Guild isn't. Marble Hornets isn't. I'm sure there are more internet shows with proper story lines but I don't normally hang in those parts. You can say "the people of TGWTG are bad at telling story lines" but you can't say all internet shows do that.

Also ApolloZHack. He was a reviewer good at telling stories with his reviews. He's retired now but what he did was good.

Mx.Silver
2013-01-13, 07:54 AM
It does not review anything. Or are you saying that internet shows in general are bad at telling stories?
No, he said that TGWTG's reviewers, most importantly including Doug, are bad at telling stories. That's not really an assessment I would disagree with.
Look, you need to understand that the audience is in no way obligated to keep watching something that has failed to engage with them on the off-chance that it might get better somewhere down the line. Ignoring something that's completely failed to engage you in approximately 2 hours worth of content is not 'being unfair' (there are complete films with shorter running times than Demo Reel has at this point), and your accusations that people who dislike it are being so is not going to win anyone over. No one's trying to convince you to stop watching it if you want to; it's only decent that you let people who don't enjoy it stop watching it.

Eldan
2013-01-13, 07:59 AM
I'm now thinking that NC was some kind of freak occurence, really. I never thought anything else Doug did was all that good. Ask that guy had a funny joke here or there, but they were rare. I always thought Bum Reviews were just sort of painful to watch. His anniversary movies were terrible, all of them. Demo Reel is just boring and, as with the anniversary movies, I don't think they have any remotely good actors.

Tengu_temp
2013-01-13, 03:16 PM
I don't think Doug's other stuff is so bad. I like Ask That Guy, I especially like That Guy Riffs, and I eventually got tired of Bum Reviews but used to like them. Kickassia was fun in a campy way. And, in the end, Nostalgia Critic kinda went bad anyway, if he didn't end the show it would just become even worse. I just wish its replacement was something that's actually good.

Doug has Author's Curse - the things he likes to write and the things he's good at writing are completely different. This usually has the form of being good at humour but wanting to write serious drama, but not always. A lot of writers have Author's Curse, and I'm sure you can think of at least one who does right now.

Contradiction!!! How can you say you give it a chance when you've only given it two episodes, and not the three you claim to give shows?

Second-hand knowledge from trustworthy sources is good enough to make up for the third episode. Also, Demo Reel has much longer episodes than the typical 25-minute format I'm used to, so my patience ran out faster.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-13, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I'm just not interested in what he's doing with Demo Reel. It failed to grab me in the first couple of episodes, and from what other people said on this thread (and in the comments on the site), I decided I just wasn't that bothered.

But I don't watch everything anyone on the site does (maybe Sad Panda, but I'm not even sure then, and mainly because it's short), usually just the main bits and a few asides.

I almost completely avoid anything on current movies, and movies fall into two categories - movies that I want to see (in which case I don't want any spoilers) and movies that I know I won't like, wherein I'll wait until they crop up in a "proper" funny review later on. (I say "almost", as I have started watching a few of the v-log-style review of things like Twilight on occasion, but they usually run on too long for me to bother with in their entirity.)

(So the above does not help Demo Reel anyway, since the parody part seems about more contemporary movies - and as I'm not interested in drama for the sake of drama, when the parody bits aren't very prevalent... Kinda don't care about the rest. I'm not a big fan of sit-coms at the best of times, and those I do watch tend to on the Disney Channel, so...)

I'll still be watching Ask That Guy and the riffs, but the new stuff just doesn't look like it's something I'm interested in seeing.

Zevox
2013-01-13, 10:53 PM
I don't think Doug's other stuff is so bad. I like Ask That Guy, I especially like That Guy Riffs, and I eventually got tired of Bum Reviews but used to like them.
I'm like that, but reverse Ask That Guy and Bum Reviews. Ask That Guy just stopped being funny for me when I realized that it has basically two jokes - either answers that are supposed to be funny because That Guy is a horrible person, or answers that are just total nonsense. The former got stale, and Doug doesn't do the latter well enough (or frequently enough, relative to the former) to keep me interested.

Bum Reviews I still really like though.

Codyage
2013-01-14, 02:15 AM
I have seen all the uploaded videos of Demo Reel, and now to give me opinion on it. It is okay. I am not a huge fan of it, I don't hate it. But I think I am going to put it on hold. Two parts to every Demo Reel episode. The parody portion, where they make fun of a movie, and the real life portion where they tend to have seriousness.

I have spoiled the majority of my thoughts on this show to keep space.

First thing is I haven't laughed out loud at anything in Demo Reel. I may have chuckled one or two times, but overall no major laughing. Nostalgia Critic made me laugh out loud a couple of times, but overall I was enjoying the show as well. With Demo Reel I am not enjoying the story all that much. So it doesn't have the humor going for it, and the story is having me complain.

I don't like Doug Walker's attempts at trying to be Dramatic. Now I use Dramatic in the sense of well drama. Unlike Comedic performances which indulge in humor. Dramatic involves itself to more emotion, and more serious nature. Now I am not saying Dramatic can't be funny, and Comedic can't be serious. But the way Doug tires to make seriousness isn't working for me. The ending to the last anniversary special was okay, but he was trying to be far to dramatic with the character of the Nostalgia Critic.

With the show overall the thing is, if you haven't seen the movie they are parodying then the parody half of the movie is going to be a loss in humor most of the time. Which is my guess why they stopped parodying newer movies and went to older ones. Because not everybody likes to have spoilers done to them. Now with the parody they can decide to either be funny or serious. The choices are up to them, but one example I liked is the Lost In Translation episode. I have never seen Lost In Translation, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the episode and what went on it. I also had no idea who Uncle Yo was either, yet the acting was good enough it had me interested in it.

Now I am sure if I watched Lost In Translation I may have enjoyed it a bit more then without seeing it. In case I missed some of the story or not. But I do know a little bit of what goes on in the actual movie. The real life parts of the show now, are generally where most of the story is. The story parts can be funny or serious, once again the choice is up to them.

The story overall didn't have me interested in it. S.W.A.G. didn't really seem like to big of an enemy. I didn't really fear for our characters at all because the villains just seemed goofy, and I couldn't take them seriously. I don't know how I am suppose to feel to this show, is it dramatic, is it comedic, is it a little bit of both?

I wasn't a fan of the first few episodes, but as it went on I enjoyed a little bit more. Up until now, I am still on the fence about it. I mean Doug's portrayal of acting serious can work sometimes. But in the "Blue Patches" episode it just didn't work for me. The episode overall didn't make me like it either. Introducing the death of a parent just seemed like the easiest way to give Donny a darker past. How the death of his mother caused him to have a bad performance which also caused him to become a terrible actor. Here is my review for Blue Patches.

Suicide, and death are subjects that are tragic, but people still joke about. I understand that, but suicide and death were done in this episode to be taken seriously. Which I find incredibly hard to understand, if they are just going to make a joke, or even a joke about it in the next second. It is as TV Tropes puts it Mood Whiplash. The scene where Donny tells the people who drugged him that he is "sorry" for all the things that happened was a good scene, all though him conveying the sadness of a person who had the death of a loved one, and his entire career failing seems to be lacking. I still tried to take it seriously. Just for it to turn into a joke as his captors laugh saying he must have taken acting lessons. That is when I gave up in accepting seriousness in this show, and just marked it down as a comedy, and that everything they do in it now is just a joke, or in some way will be made a joke.

Donny, who as of now is a film maker who may want to get back at Hollywood by making parodies. I am not sure if that is all of his motive or not. The reason he wants to get back at them, is because they booed him for a bad performance. He was going through tough times yes, but that doesn't mean they need to be sympathetic about it. I mean how can you? The child after hearing his mother died, still continued to go on and make the film! I don't know if it was established that he took time grieve, but from what I remember he was told about her suicide in the middle of a performance and then kept on going with it.

I can feel emotion about a child losing a parent. But if the child isn't going to care and keep going on then I don't fell sorry. It is said that he still felt sad when he did his performance which is why he did bad. But why was he doing the performance in the first place if he was still grieving? Was he just trying to act like nothing was wrong? I think it just wasn't explained enough. Or I missed a scene saying that he did take time to grieve, but was forced to keep performing anyway. (Which I don't see happening, because no one is going to make a grieving child perform a movie. Unless this is going to turn into some big plot reveal in a later episode, and his new guardian is Count Olaf.) They turned an attempt at seriousness by using suicide and death, and kind of failed.

The Blue Patches sequel they made in the movie was all right. But having not seen a Patch of Blue I am lost on the overall story of it. So not much I can say about it.

I am also not a fan of Quinn, the stereotype. I just don't see him as being that important to the group besides holding a camera, adding make up, and giving a cheap laugh. Carl barely gets by, because he has at least DONE something. The fact he acts like a stereotype is even brought up!

Then the ending with S.W.A.G. they were held at gunpoint, but at this point I could see that they weren't going to get hurt, and everyone was going to live through it in the end. Because the show is now a comedy. Everything will have a happy ending, and anytime we want to be serious we will add on back story to characters to make them more sympathetic.

I am just not liking Demo Reel to much, I was a fan of Nostalgia Critic. Didn't like Bum to much, and Ask That Guy stopped being funny in large doses. But now that it comes out very rarely makes ATG a bit more tolerable. All though the answers are getting a bit predictable. "Here is a question" "Here is an answer that has nothing to do with the question (common) Hummel Figurine!(Was funny, now its becoming common). I like Doug Walker, his acting is decent, and he can be funny at times. But overall seriousness is not his forte.

I have given Demo Reel a chance, but I think overall I am going to stop watching it now. But this is just my opinion, on it.

EDIT: Afterthought is that the only movie Donny did? Or was he just a bad actor overall? I think it may have more to do with just being a bad actor. Because of the way he performs in his parodies, he is acting badly, and I believe he was in another bad movie. I thought the family that kidnapped him were watching more then one. Which now has me thinking he is just a bad actor overall, and he wants to use his mom's death as an excuse as to why he did bad, rather then just accept the fact he IS a bad actor.

SDF
2013-01-17, 05:40 AM
Kind of glad I tapped out on Demo Reel early on. If the reviews had changed I would have checked it out again, but it doesnt sound like it is worth my time from any source I have read. The only people I really watch anymore are Spoony, Bennett the Sage, and occasionally Brad Jones stuff, but I only do it on their respective websites. Out of curiosity I checked Alexas webtraffic stats on the website and it is down 20% in the last three months. I wonder if they will continue this much longer and tighten their belts with the increase in production costs or make some drastic changes in the near future. I do not want to see them fail, but I am also not going to waste time on something that is not good.

sentaku
2013-01-22, 06:09 PM
I'll just link this (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on)

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-22, 07:32 PM
Well.

On the one hand, I'm sorry for Doug that things apparently didn't work out as he would have liked, and for the cast. (Though I can't say I'm surprised.) But he's right, now he's a little bit older and wiser, and just a little bit more informed.

On the other hand, HUZZZZZAH!

I am totally okay with the new ground rules.

The LOBster
2013-01-22, 07:39 PM
I'll just link this (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on)

This is good.

This is REAAAAAALLLY good.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-22, 07:40 PM
This is good.

This is REAAAAAALLLY good.

And the irony of that little piece being leagues away better than Demo Reel itself was not lost on me, either...

Dr.Epic
2013-01-22, 09:13 PM
HA! I knew it! I blipping knew it! I knew it was only a matter of time! That Doug would eventually realize that his new show was awful and go back to his old one! I knew it!

I also loved Brad's cameo:

"I don't care." *hangs up phone*
:smallbiggrin:

And at the end:

"Who's the Nostalgia Critic? When are you bringing back Melvin?"
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2013-01-22, 09:31 PM
Well. Slightly mixed on this. I guess the big thing is, I really hope Doug is actually doing this because he wants to, and not just because Demo Reel wasn't as popular as he'd hoped and old fans were pestering him. I didn't like Demo Reel myself, but I certainly respected Doug's choice to end the Nostalgia Critic when he thought it was time and branch out into something different that he'd long wanted to do.

On the other hand, that video was definitely the funniest thing Doug has done in a log time, so maybe there's something to what he was saying there about him getting new ideas and being inspired again. And I'm certainly happy to have the Critic coming back on a basic level, and I'll definitely be watching when those videos hit. Especially since he's doing away with the cut-off date, so we'll get reviews he was never willing to do before just because of that.

I do hope that, whatever the case, he does keep the actors who played Tacoma and Rebecca around to do some parts. They were pretty good, and it'd be kind of a shame to see them dumped because Demo Reel didn't work out.

Green-Shirt Q
2013-01-22, 09:35 PM
I'm a little dissapointed. While I love the Nostalgia Critic character and I'm glad he's coming back, I was JUST getting attached to the Demo Reel characters and invested in the direction the story would continue in!

At the very least, I hope Carl is in the new Nostalgia Critic episodes somehow. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2013-01-22, 09:36 PM
I do hope that, whatever the case, he does keep the actors who played Tacoma and Rebecca around to do some parts. They were pretty good, and it'd be kind of a shame to see them dumped because Demo Reel didn't work out.

Meh. I never found anything too special in either of them. I mean, maybe it was just the show, and they are funny. I'm not sure. I mean, I hate for them to be out of a job/career just like that, but if they're not funny, I don't want them sticking around.

Zevox
2013-01-22, 11:35 PM
Meh. I never found anything too special in either of them. I mean, maybe it was just the show, and they are funny. I'm not sure. I mean, I hate for them to be out of a job/career just like that, but if they're not funny, I don't want them sticking around.
Whether they're funny will more depend on the writing than them. Doug wasn't particularly funny in Demo Reel, either, after all.

Basically, I'm saying I thought they were good enough actors that I'd like to see more of them. And perhaps that's something Doug could use to shake up Nostalgia Critic - introduce new characters and use them more often than he did before.

Makensha
2013-01-23, 12:06 AM
Well that ended quickly.

And without much dignity either.

So long Demo Reel. You will be vaguely remembered as a failure.

Which is a shame. Had they rebooted it after the first episode flopped, it could have been good.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-23, 02:09 AM
Ouch. Yeah. I feel bad for Doug :smallfrown:. He was hoping to bring his stuff to the next level.

Problem is that the amount of stuff he could do as NC was allot more then Demo Reel.

So instead of being something new and fresh, all it was was a limiting factor on what he could do.

I suggest that maybe he could be a bit more plotty, and see how it goes from there.

Tengu_temp
2013-01-23, 04:29 AM
Not sure what to think about this. On one hand, Demo Reel really wasn't that good, but on the other hand, late Nostalgia Critic was really hit or miss. Look at the Transformers episode, for example, or the Temple of Doom one. Both were terrible.

I haven't seen the video yet. Maybe I'll feel more positive about this after I do. And I really hope the Demo Reel actors will stick around in other roles, because I feel bad for them. Not their fault the show flopped.

Sunken Valley
2013-01-23, 06:37 AM
Well, you've broken Doug peoples. Long live the critic!!!

Please don't be critical on Demo Reel though. I know only Zevox, Makensha and Codyage saw the Lost in Translation (Bromance)/Blair Witch Hangover/Blue Patches 3 parter in its entirety (or even dare I say, at all). that 3 parter was top notch and I'm surprised more people aren't/weren't discussing it.

No cut off date is a good way to reinvigorate the formula. Hopefully there will be fewer cross overs.

I would like to see why doug actually decided to bring the critic back, whether it was him or fanboys who decided it.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-23, 07:14 AM
Well, if you read between the lines of the video, it was because he watched that film, and he realised that he'd still got so much to say about the subject, and that it was basically over-work that had made the NC more of a chore at the end there (in concert with the anniversaries). (There was also that throw-away line in the video that suggested apparently even Doug had realised he was writing Donny more as the NC, as I noted people were saying.)

I suspect fan demand was a small part of it, but the impression I got from the video was that Doug decided that after a break that he really could do some more, with some fresh inspiration, and that it was ultimately his decision, and one he'd clearly given a lot of thought to (maybe even talked it over with some of the folks in the cameos; I did wonder how much of that video was an analogue as opposed to fiction - that jmight explain why it came across so well!)

Shaking up the formula a bit - and cutting his work load down - is a good way to re-invigorate the series and enable him to keep going without it getting stale or tedious for Doug to make (because if there's ever a death knell for anything, it's when the creator isn't enjoying it anymore.)

Sometimes, you just do need a break in doing stuff you've been doing for a long time (be it Funny Internet Reviews, DMing, directing Middle-Earth movies (I vaguely recall PJ saying he didn't want to do the Hobbit to start with after his first LotR trilogy) or CAD-designed models) before yo can get back to it with new enthusiasm.

Dienekes
2013-01-23, 09:43 AM
Well, you've broken Doug peoples. Long live the critic!!!

Please don't be critical on Demo Reel though. I know only Zevox, Makensha and Codyage saw the Lost in Translation (Bromance)/Blair Witch Hangover/Blue Patches 3 parter in its entirety (or even dare I say, at all). that 3 parter was top notch and I'm surprised more people aren't/weren't discussing it.

Actually I did see it, it was the last one I saw. It was, average. That's about it.

Yora
2013-01-23, 10:04 AM
I think one problem might be that people who are interested in watching shows like Nostalgia Critic might not neccessarily be the same people that are interested in watching shows like Demo Reel.
You pretty much have to build a new audience from the ground up.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-23, 10:32 AM
I think one problem might be that people who are interested in watching shows like Nostalgia Critic might not neccessarily be the same people that are interested in watching shows like Demo Reel.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much part of the problem why it didn't succeed as well as Doug would have hoped.

Zevox
2013-01-23, 10:33 AM
That's quite likely. I know that one reason that I like the Nostalgia Critic so much but not Demo Reel has been obvious from the start - the Nostalgia Critic does not require me to have seen the movies he's reviewing for me to enjoy the review, while Demo Reel usually does require me to have seen them in order to understand at least some parts of it (more in some episodes than others, but at least a few in all). I am not a big movie watcher, at all, and have not seen most of the movies on both shows, so that makes a big difference to me. I imagine I'm not the only one in such a position, and that likely hurt Demo Reel since the primary way for it to gain an audience quickly was by appealing to people who already liked Doug's other work.

And of course there's also the issue of Demo Reel being (or perhaps becoming, after the first couple of episodes) much less humor-oriented than the Critic. That was what wound up killing the show for me, I think.

Makensha
2013-01-23, 01:46 PM
Well, if you read between the lines of the video, it was because he watched that film, and he realised that he'd still got so much to say about the subject, and that it was basically over-work that had made the NC more of a chore at the end there (in concert with the anniversaries).
I felt like he was attempting to play up his desire to come back into the role and attempt to make it less obvious he needed the income that NC produced.

like Nostalgia Critic might not neccessarily be the same people that are interested in watching shows like Demo Reel.
That might be one of the reasons I was fond of it. I was never NC's biggest fan and went to the website primarily for other people's work.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-23, 03:33 PM
Basically, I'm saying I thought they were good enough actors that I'd like to see more of them. And perhaps that's something Doug could use to shake up Nostalgia Critic - introduce new characters and use them more often than he did before.

Well, I thought they were better in the last video (the Review Must Go On).

Also, did anyone check Brad's site? He has the video on his site, and the text under is reads:

"But when is Jay Sherman coming back?"

Whoever gets that reference, I will send you a doughnut.:smallwink: This applies only to the first ten people. No google searches. I'll know if you used it!

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-23, 03:36 PM
I get it. We are both Reference buddies!

But crap, I can't remember any quotable lines.....Uh...Oh wait I got one:

"Tick Tock Dorris >:D"

"It was supposed to be a bunny =[ "

Baroncognito
2013-01-23, 03:42 PM
I get it. We are both Reference buddies!

But crap, I can't remember any quotable lines.....Uh...Oh wait I got one:

"Tick Tock Dorris >:D"

"It was supposed to be a bunny =[ "

The bits I remember best are the ones with George Orwell.

Rosebud frozen peas. Full of country goodness and green peaness.

Oh, what luck, there's a french fry stuck in my beard.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-23, 03:44 PM
Oh DAMN, that was an amazing one.

Oh I remember:

"ROSEBUD

Yes Rosebud Frozen Peas"

LaZodiac
2013-01-23, 04:09 PM

Also, did anyone check Brad's site? He has the video on his site, and the text under is reads:

Whoever gets that reference, I will send you a doughnut.:smallwink: This applies only to the first ten people. No google searches. I'll know if you used it!

I feel bad that my only exposure to the show is the Simpson's Crossover. Also I'd like a Honey Crueller.

Zevox
2013-01-23, 04:36 PM

Nope, sorry, don't have any idea what that would be a reference too. :smallconfused:

Dienekes
2013-01-23, 05:06 PM
Nope, sorry, don't have any idea what that would be a reference too. :smallconfused:

A short lived cartoon about a movie critic. The main character is a fat balding guy in a Charlie Brown sweater, his image seems to pop up a lot.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-23, 05:23 PM
Dude. Why did you have to ruin it mon.

Sunken Valley
2013-01-23, 05:38 PM

The Critic, a short lived 30ish episode show created by Sam Simon? who also executively produced the Simpsons. Star Jay Sherman (Lovitz?) would guest star in season 7 Simpsons ep "Burns of all Seasons" as the judge of a film festival with Homer, Marge, Mayor Quimby and Krusty. Matt Groening fought against the episodes creation, which is why its one of the few episodes where his name is absent from the credits.

Sorry if my facts are wrong, I'm doing this off the top of my head.

Edit: Quotes:
"it's me standing against a brick wall. That's the joke".
"but marge, the ball, his groin, it works on so many levels."

Baroncognito
2013-01-23, 05:48 PM
Upon closer inspection, I am wearing loafers.

Baroncognito
2013-01-23, 05:50 PM
Slightly more on topic, I tried watching Demo Reel, but the sound on the first one was so bad that I just gave up. The volume I needed to hear what Doug was saying was painful when the other people were speaking.

ThePhantom
2013-01-23, 09:28 PM
Okay, that was interesting and creepy. Well, the in-character reason made unusual.

Tengu_temp
2013-01-24, 05:58 AM
After watching the video, I must say, this was Doug's best work in a while, maybe since the Moulin Rouge review. A very good balance of funny, creepy and emotional, and I liked Todd's and Brad's cameos very much.

Please, Doug, make Nostalgia Critic come back to the quality from over a year ago, when almost every episode was good! The show deserves it, and it will be really tragic if it turns out you burnt out for real.

Sunken Valley
2013-01-24, 11:41 AM
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/blogs/latest/entry/a-doug-walker-show-review-demo-reel

Blog about Demo Reel which sums up my feelings to the show.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-28, 03:45 PM
So do you still think Doug will continue to do his Top 11's, New vs Old's, Raiders of the Lost Story Arc's etc. or just still to reviews/riffs? Honestly, I like his just reviews better than his other segments.

Lord Seth
2013-01-28, 10:08 PM
I felt like he was attempting to play up his desire to come back into the role and attempt to make it less obvious he needed the income that NC produced.Enh, it was probably a combination of the two.

I am hoping him not having to put one out every week will result in better reviews, because I do think the Nostalgia Critic episodes later on weren't as good as they used to be, and I have to wonder if constantly having to put one together each week might have been the cause of that.

Then again, I think the quality of the Angry Video Game Nerd episodes took a dip when he scaled back the frequency of the releases and had them be less frequent.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-04, 08:29 AM
Was it the 4th or 5th the NC returns?:smallconfused:

Cikomyr
2013-02-05, 02:13 PM
So.. you guys watched his most recent review? (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38168-nostalgia-critic-the-odd-life-of-timothy-green). I am very satisfied with the new format. You can see he wants to go back to the classic while still push in new directions; trying more sketches. Having an ensemble of secondary actors really helped for that.

HILARIOUS "complete each other's sentence"

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-05, 02:54 PM
Pretty much. Works Really well. Fresh and funny.

Tengu_temp
2013-02-05, 05:41 PM
Pretty good video. Doug is clearly experimenting with a combination of sticking to what worked in the old format and adding new elements. A few jokes fell flat, but most of them worked, and it had me laughing a few times. It helps that the movie is absolutely insane, and not in a good way - I haven't seen such an emotionally manipulative schlock with such a terrible moral since Patch Adams. I'm also happy to see Demo Reel actors working with Doug in sketches.

Overall? If this level of quality keeps up, the return of Nostalgia Critic will be a succesful one. Let's hope that will be the case.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-05, 06:44 PM
.......*Mind Crashes*......

Wait. The movie is like 4 months old. The 10 year rule is abolished?

Zevox
2013-02-05, 06:59 PM
.......*Mind Crashes*......

Wait. The movie is like 4 months old. The 10 year rule is abolished?
Yep. That was announced when the NC's return was, in "The Review Must Go On" video.

Yora
2013-02-06, 12:05 PM
Some people may have seen this before.
http://i.imgur.com/AnR3gtt.jpg
Don't know the name or the context, but still funny. :smallbiggrin:

Dscherro
2013-02-06, 01:18 PM
It's from Zettai Karen Children (http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/the-nostalgia-critic-and-the-angry-video-game-nerd-in-zettai-karen-children-the-unlimited/), which I have never seen. But this picture alone might change this:smalltongue:.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-08, 09:26 PM
So...are there any plans for a 5th year anniversary special? I heard somewhere there wasn't, but in my opinion it does have to be something big. Really, I think the shorter ones were better. I can't deeply express how much I hate To Boldly Flee.:smallannoyed:

Cikomyr
2013-02-09, 05:34 AM
So...are there any plans for a 5th year anniversary special? I heard somewhere there wasn't, but in my opinion it does have to be something big. Really, I think the shorter ones were better. I can't deeply express how much I hate To Boldly Flee.:smallannoyed:

Last time I checked, it was a definitive "no".

Although I sure wouldn't mind if OTHERS than Doug Walker were to make one. Like Spoony said, Doug has some good writing skills, but also some heavy pitfalls.

Sunken Valley
2013-02-09, 08:41 AM

It needs to be something big, but the short ones are better? Did you miss a word by mistake.

Anyway, there is likely no special due to cost and time efficiency. Each special was aimed to be BIGGER than the last and each took more time from all the cameo guests. It took two weeks to film To Boldly Flee, most of the expenses for travel lodging etc coming out of the star's pockets. This was also time when they were not filming their own stuff. So no, I do not think there will be a special. Also Doug and Channel Awesome is doing all this new stuff, of which we've only seen Sibling Rivalry, Demo Reel and one ep of Shut Up and Talk. We have also not seen the results of the other 3 casting call choices (in the casting call video on the site, 5 places were advertised, of which only 2 we have seen (the two being Rachel and Malcolm of Demo Reel)).

hanzo66
2013-02-09, 10:08 AM
I liked his new review on that film. It really does look hokey-as-hell.

Still, I can't help but feel that as stated, this return is more out of the realization of Demo Reel's failure and the fact that the Critic was sort of his really big thing. I'm sure that there's some truth in that skit of his, but I still feel that he's bringing it back more out of pragmatism than a desire to get back to things (though the fact that there are people who think this is probably the reason why he made that skit in the first place).

I do hope that things work out for Doug in the end and that after he is well and truly done with the character he finds something that actually work out for him. I am curious as to whether or not he'll do the new Lorax film seeing as I remember him mentioning on Facebook how he was seriously ticked off by what he heard about it in the Chick's review of it.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-09, 10:21 AM
I think he just did it the wrong way:

When trying something new, don't bank on its success. Give people a taste, whilst at the same time supporting what they liked.

Dropping his shtick and then changing to something (That I think) Is much worse was a bad idea.

Maybe he should make reviews twice a month, and try new ideas.

Sunken Valley
2013-02-09, 03:00 PM
I think he just did it the wrong way:

When trying something new, don't bank on its success. Give people a taste, whilst at the same time supporting what they liked.

Dropping his shtick and then changing to something (That I think) Is much worse was a bad idea.

Maybe he should make reviews twice a month, and try new ideas.

He will be doing his reviews fortnightly. Meaning he will actually be doing it twice a month.

Now for everyone: I realise that Demo Reel is dead so do you want me to make a new thread called "Nostalgia Critic Returns!: the TGWTG thread" which is essentially what this thread has become? Or do you want to keep talking here.

Also, do any of you want to participate in a thought experiment of what Demo Reel could have done to be a success and what this new show would be like? Because I have some cool ideas and would be up for doing so.

Tengu_temp
2013-02-10, 11:18 AM

That might be the most random/obscure cameo in recent anime history. And yes, I've seen it even when this post was new (as opposed to 4 days old), but it still amuses me.

Can't help but wonder, though - what are Doug and James doing in Tokyo?

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-10, 11:45 AM
That might be the most random/obscure cameo in recent anime history. And yes, I've seen it even when this post was new (as opposed to 4 days old), but it still amuses me.

Can't help but wonder, though - what are Doug and James doing in Tokyo?

Its the future and shizz, and in the future they have enough of a bud-jet to afford to go to Tokyo. Thats my theory.

hanzo66
2013-02-11, 01:39 AM
Yeah, that surprised me. I'm not sure how well known Doug and James are over in Asia. Maybe someone simply saw a picture of them and thought they looked interesting enough to put in the background.

turkishproverb
2013-02-11, 06:17 AM
They do have small fanbases in japan, actually.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-13, 09:19 PM
His latest review (Twilight), a few things:

-This has been done to death. We all know why Twilight is bad. I've never seen any of the films or read any of the books, but even I know why it's bad. Do we really need another person commenting on this?

-The timing; the last film came out a few months ago. I was more than happy to just forget about the series and let it die. But nope. Got to have another reviewer commenting about it and reminding everyone that this still exists.

-Doug doesn't contribute anything new. I said in my first comment we all know why it's bad, but that right there I can forgive if the reviewer provides new incite. Like Red Letter Media: they did their Phantom Menace review over a decade after the actual film came out and we all knew why the movie was bad. But they managed to go really deep with their review and point out new stuff. In short, Doug just really states the obvious: the characters are flat/unlikeable, the romance is too awful for words, and it's nothing more than escapism for girls. Again, we all know this.

Codyage
2013-02-13, 11:24 PM
His latest review (Twilight), a few things:

-This has been done to death. We all know why Twilight is bad. I've never seen any of the films or read any of the books, but even I know why it's bad. Do we really need another person commenting on this?

-The timing; the last film came out a few months ago. I was more than happy to just forget about the series and let it die. But nope. Got to have another reviewer commenting about it and reminding everyone that this still exists.

-Doug doesn't contribute anything new. I said in my first comment we all know why it's bad, but that right there I can forgive if the reviewer provides new incite. Like Red Letter Media: they did their Phantom Menace review over a decade after the actual film came out and we all knew why the movie was bad. But they managed to go really deep with their review and point out new stuff. In short, Doug just really states the obvious: the characters are flat/unlikeable, the romance is too awful for words, and it's nothing more than escapism for girls. Again, we all know this.

You say that as if everyone goes through and analyzes every single piece of work as soon as it comes out, and that is the final straw about it. By your own words, you are saying that every single review that comes out more then a few months after the release date shouldn't exist unless they contribute something new. Which means almost every single Nostalgia Critic, should be wiped because "we all know this." The whole point of a review is to convey ones OWN thoughts about what they though of particular subject matter. It doesn't matter if it has been done before, it still tells us about what peoples opinions are.

Also, it is the Nostalgia Critic, not Doug. The thoughts Doug Walker portrayed in his own reviews are Doug's views on it ( They aren't the nostalgia critic videos, I believe they are vlogs or something similar). As Doug has said, the Nostalgia Critic, is a character, and the reviews are usually done with how the Nostalgia Critic would view them. Since this was a Nostalgia Critic Video, this is the NC's Thoughts. Each Nostalgia Critic Review, expands a little bit more about the character. So even if it DOES go and cross the same territory again that so many other reviewers have done, it still contributes something that other reviewers don't have. It tells us more about the Nostalgia Critic if only slightly. I have the same general opinions that he does about the Twilight Series. Except with slightly more dislike for that battle scene in the last movie. (IF you watched the movie you know what I mean.)

I agree with you on the Red Letter Media. I have shown it to a few of my friends, to help them see why the prequels aren't as good as they think they are.

I am curious to how you all ready know why Twilight is bad, if you haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies. Getting information by word of mouth to show how you like or dislike something is truly interesting, but as you say yourself. "Even I know why it is bad." I actually gave it a chance and read the first book, saw a few of the movies, before giving my views on it and dislikes. But I commend you on being able to completely analyze the entire four book five movie series, without actually opening the cover or watching the movie. That is truly a remarkable feat! (Edit: No Sarcasm intended.)

I believe a TV Tropes Article describes this fairly well. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComplainingAboutShowsYouDontWatch)

Tengu_temp
2013-02-14, 08:13 AM
Remember that this is not the bi-weekly Nostalgia Critic video. That's next week. This is just filler to have something this week.

Boci
2013-02-15, 06:12 PM
You say that as if everyone goes through and analyzes every single piece of work as soon as it comes out, and that is the final straw about it. By your own words, you are saying that every single review that comes out more then a few months after the release date shouldn't exist unless they contribute something new. Which means almost every single Nostalgia Critic, should be wiped because "we all know this."

Firstly its not a couple of months, its been years. Secondly, the movies reviewed by the NC typically do not have as much media attention as the Twilight Saga. How many epople have already reviewed the others movies he's talked about? I'm guessing not as many when compared to twilight.

I am curious to how you all ready know why Twilight is bad, if you haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies.

Because of all the publicity it has gotten. I know publicity can be misleading, but when so many people critisize something for the exact same, non-shallow reasons, I start to think I can judge things based on word of mouth.

That and I've spoken to fans of the series, and have researched it enough to know what its generally about and produce a very long list of problems with it.

Codyage
2013-02-16, 03:36 AM
Firstly its not a couple of months, its been years. Secondly, the movies reviewed by the NC typically do not have as much media attention as the Twilight Saga. How many epople have already reviewed the others movies he's talked about? I'm guessing not as many when compared to twilight.

Because of all the publicity it has gotten. I know publicity can be misleading, but when so many people critisize something for the exact same, non-shallow reasons, I start to think I can judge things based on word of mouth.

That and I've spoken to fans of the series, and have researched it enough to know what its generally about and produce a very long list of problems with it.

Going to Spoil it to save space.

The last MOVIE came out a few months ago. It came out about November. The Twilight SAGA involves the entire series, not the first Twilight Book/ Movie. We were talking about how when the SERIES would die, which has a good chance of happening when they stop making the movies of the series.

We know Twilight is being reviewed by a lot of people, it is still popular. Sort of how Harry Potter is still popular, despite the last book and movies being done with. Now Nostalgia Critic has done quite a bit of movies, but if you look for some of the popular reviews. I am sure you could find some on Youtube or Blip of people making their own reviews of that movie. Just really depends on the movies popularity. But he isn't the first one to review a lot of certain movies, he is just very popular.

What Dr. Epic is saying the Nostalgia Critic made a review after everyone had jumped on the bandwagon, and he his contributing his own opinion about it. I agree with Dr.Epic that yes the NC was late to his review, all though he did share his own points and it expanded on the character of the NC, it is still very late. But Twilight isn't something that is just going to die into nothingness anytime soon. Especially if more books or things inspired by it come out. But yes, the Nostalgia Critic did break the small moment of quietness by doign a Twilight Series Review.

Third point, getting your "word of mouth" from the media, let it be tv, REVIEWS, newspapers, other peoples comments, etc. etc. IS fine if you don't want to see it. But don't use others peoples knowledge to repel others.

"I haven't seen Twilight but I know Vampires Sparkle because X said so, so it obviously must be *insert feelings here*" All you have heard is one point about the movie which is Vampires Sparkling, if that's a reason to repel you from a movie then so be it. But using the same reasoning to repel other people without even seeing it for yourself, or the context it is being used in is where it comes in to the tv Tropes Article I linked. You haven't checked it out yourself, yet you use it as an argument even though you have no sources to back it up because you haven't looked into it yourself, just word of mouth.

The difference is between you and Dr.Epic is you did research on it. You went in and did your homework, and I applaud you for that, not many people do it. Which means for you, yes it is okay to take it by word of mouth, because you double checked.

Where Dr.Epic says I haven't even read any of the books or watched any of the movies but I know why it is bad. That just comes off to me as "I haven't seen or heard anything about this movie at all, but it sucks."

Now I can understand the idea of saying "I haven't read or watched any of Twilight, but I read the synopsis and descriptions to know what they were about." Not only does it say, I looked into it, but from it's description I didn't like it. Very reasonable.

Dr.Epic worded it as if he didn't do any research and just deemed it bad just because he knew it was bad. Which is near ignorant. (Not insulting anyone but the definition of ignorant is "lacking knowledge or awareness in general")

Do you believe that deeming something as good or bad without actually looking into it, is a respectful way of judging something? Regardless of what its actually being judged. It is like saying this pasta is awful, but you haven't even ordered it off the menu yet.

Not trying to argue, maybe it was just a poorly constructed sentence, my own acts of rationalizing things, or something else, but I am not trying to fight. I am just saying reviewing something without even looking into it is not fair, and is disrespectful, even if it was in there favor or not. It wasn't judged fairly, but by bias.

So do we know what the NC is reviewing next? Or is it just whatever he decides?

Tengu_temp
2013-02-20, 09:17 AM
New review. A very long one, a very good one. I think I can see what is the new form Doug wanted to adopt for Nostalgia Critic, and I must say - it works really well.

Codyage
2013-02-20, 11:55 AM
Is it just me or are the reviews longer as well? What was the average time for a regular review? Twenty or thirty minutes?

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-20, 04:25 PM
I loved the running bay plotline:

He isnt racist: just representing his roomate pal :D

Sunken Valley
2013-02-20, 06:44 PM

I liked it too but one small problem. Pearl Harbour was not a flop as the Critic suggests. It made $450 million worldwide, winning $310 million back from the box office and winning an Oscar (Sound Editing). It only made $100 million less than Armageddon and it made more than both the Bad Boys films combined one of which (2) had the same budget as Pearl Harbour ($140 Million). Bay would also Post Pearl Harbour make the Island which only earned $40 million back, barely breaking even. He would only hit the real money with Transformers Franchise.

Dienekes
2013-02-21, 12:46 AM
I liked it too but one small problem. Pearl Harbour was not a flop as the Critic suggests. It made $450 million worldwide, winning $310 million back from the box office and winning an Oscar (Sound Editing). It only made $100 million less than Armageddon and it made more than both the Bad Boys films combined one of which (2) had the same budget as Pearl Harbour ($140 Million). Bay would also Post Pearl Harbour make the Island which only earned $40 million back, barely breaking even. He would only hit the real money with Transformers Franchise.

As some smartass once said. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I like Doug's story better, and let's be honest here, I don't think he was even trying to be historically accurate.

Which given his rant about messing with real people's lives actually at Pearl Harbor becomes rather ironic.

turkishproverb
2013-02-21, 02:39 AM

Hook wasn't a flop either. nor Superman returns.

Or black hole, Tron, King Kong, or Ghost rider.

They (and Pearl Harbor) are part of a class of "perceived" flops, by the industry as well as the public, that actually made money. So it's a common misconception.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-21, 02:42 AM
YAY!:D New episode!:D

And it was good!:D Really good!:D

I can live with a good episode every two weeks, and bad stuff in between.

Axolotl
2013-02-21, 04:10 AM
I have to say I really didn't like the Pearl Harbour review. It came across less as a review of the film and more just an attack on the director.

Tengu_temp
2013-02-21, 06:06 AM
I thought Bay was actually portrayed surprisingly sympathetically, in the sketch/plot part of the video. As of NC's criticism of him... He deserves it.

Mando Knight
2013-02-21, 04:47 PM

He isnt racist: just representing his roomate pal :D

And he isn't sexist, he only knows Tina A. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2013-02-21, 11:45 PM
I have to say I really didn't like the Pearl Harbour review. It came across less as a review of the film and more just an attack on the director.

And what's wrong with attacking Michael Bay?:smallconfused:

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-02-23, 05:41 AM
And what's wrong with attacking Michael Bay?:smallconfused:

I am a Michael Bay fanboy and I thoroughly disapprove of this message.

Devonix
2013-02-23, 07:54 AM

As a fan of my childhood I disapprove of this message.

Looks at monitor on the page announcing Megan Fox as April O'Neil in the new Michael Bay TMNT movie.

:(

Dienekes
2013-02-23, 08:58 AM

****** gun*

We don't take too kindly to your kind around these parts.

Heh, honestly, we all have pieces of absolute crap that we like. No harm in that I suppose. And considering how much money a Bay film rolls out I suppose there had to be some folks who actually like him.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-02-23, 09:12 AM
****** gun*

We don't take too kindly to your kind around these parts.

Heh, honestly, we all have pieces of absolute crap that we like. No harm in that I suppose. And considering how much money a Bay film rolls out I suppose there had to be some folks who actually like him.

I don't think it's crap. I think he's genuinely great. A lot of people complain that Hollywood is all about style over substance but I don't really get that for two reasons.

a) Films are a visual medium. Style over substance should be a perfectly valid and accepted priority
b) They actually seem to be fairly static, to me. These films are presented in the most pedestrian way you can imagine a lot of the time.

Michael Bay, for me, avoids that. I think he makes up for his shortcomings as a storyteller by just having the best damn style in major motion pictures. His cinematography is usually gorgeous, just stunning stuff. The editing, while a little overdone at times, is just timed down to a tee. He reminds me of a lot of what early Sam Raimi was doing actually, just with more bullish and energetic editing. It's like "maximalist cinéma vérité". Not an oxymoron on the virtue that Michael Bay does it.

Dienekes
2013-02-23, 10:17 AM
I don't think it's crap. I think he's genuinely great. A lot of people complain that Hollywood is all about style over substance but I don't really get that for two reasons.

a) Films are a visual medium. Style over substance should be a perfectly valid and accepted priority
b) They actually seem to be fairly static, to me. These films are presented in the most pedestrian way you can imagine a lot of the time.

Michael Bay, for me, avoids that. I think he makes up for his shortcomings as a storyteller by just having the best damn style in major motion pictures. His cinematography is usually gorgeous, just stunning stuff. The editing, while a little overdone at times, is just timed down to a tee. He reminds me of a lot of what early Sam Raimi was doing actually, just with more bullish and energetic editing. It's like "maximalist cinéma vérité". Not an oxymoron on the virtue that Michael Bay does it.

Interesting assessment, but if I may rebuttal. Films are not solely a visual medium, they also are a narrative medium, an auditory medium, and probably more that I can't be bothered to think about. And quite frankly, he sucks as a narrative director, and his dialogue is absolutely cringe worthy. So he sacrifices quality in two parts to instead create explosions.

Now don't get me wrong, I love explosions. Explosions are fun, I make them in my backyard when I'm bored. But it is not worth putting up with unlikeable characters, stupid storylines, and quite frankly the worst sense of humor this side of Carlos Mencia just to get explosions.

That, and to be perfectly honest, I don't find his visuals that engaging. Everything just looks fake and not really there to me for some reason (at least in the first two Transformers movies, which is basically what I think of when I think Bay). That and his fetishization of women is distracting and utterly pointless to me. I'm sure some may get a kick out of it to see Whatever-her-name-is straddling a motorcycle in short shorts, but to me, I just think it looks uncomfortable. There are other, better movies with more engaging stoylines and interesting characters, that I don't want to see strangled by their own shoelaces, if I want to watch explosions. And so when I'm in the mood to turn off my brain and watch things blow up I'll just flip to them instead.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-02-23, 10:28 AM
Interesting assessment, but if I may rebuttal. Films are not solely a visual medium, they also are a narrative medium, an auditory medium, and probably more that I can't be bothered to think about. And quite frankly, he sucks as a narrative director, and his dialogue is absolutely cringe worthy. So he sacrifices quality in two parts to instead create explosions.

They don't need to be all of those traits at once. It's clear where his priorities lie and, as I said, they're perfectly justified priorities. It's incredibly shallow and exclusionary to only seek films that provide a narrative experience. No Ken Burns for you, then? No cinéma vérité? That's sad.

Now don't get me wrong, I love explosions. Explosions are fun, I make them in my backyard when I'm bored. But it is not worth putting up with unlikeable characters, stupid storylines, and quite frankly the worst sense of humor this side of Carlos Mencia just to get explosions.

Well that's where personal inclination comes in. I find those aspects are more tepid than actively offensive which makes it easier to ignore in favor of the presentation.

That, and to be perfectly honest, I don't find his visuals that engaging. Everything just looks fake and not really there to me for some reason (at least in the first two Transformers movies, which is basically what I think of when I think Bay). That and his fetishization of women is distracting and utterly pointless to me. I'm sure some may get a kick out of it to see Whatever-her-name-is straddling a motorcycle in short shorts, but to me, I just think it looks uncomfortable. There are other, better movies with more engaging stoylines and interesting characters, that I don't want to see strangled by their own shoelaces, if I want to watch explosions. And so when I'm in the mood to turn off my brain and watch things blow up I'll just flip to them instead.

It's supposed to look fake, son. He may shoot in a style that emulates first person documentaries but it's fairly clear that his first love is for spectacle and that brand of glamour and sheen that is exclusively Los Angeles. The fetishism of cars, women and the military may not be "tasteful" in the traditional sense but that, again, makes assumptions about his priorities that are false. He's not supposed to be "tasteful". He's supposed to be escapist, glamorous and glossy and my lord does he nail that.

And yeah, the Transformers films are not his best work. They have some great moments, for sure, but the overbusy design of the robots and the other fantastic elements and the subsequent cacophony of the CGI is hard to make look good, no matter how well edited it is. The best moments from those films are scenes featuring humans, I think.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-23, 11:17 AM

That is amazing and awesome.

I've been a fan of the Nostalgia Critic for years, and was disappointed when he announced his retirement (Which I totally wasn't aware of at first because I stopped watching To Boldly Flee halfway in because, let's be honest, it's kind of boring). That left me with little to watch on TGWTG = Nostalgia Chick, Linkara's History of Power Rangers (which have months and months between them), Bum Reviews (I didn't actually watch the Bum review part, as it's annoying as hell, but I enjoyed Doug's own reviews). Once NC ended, I started browsing the rest of the site and discovered JO's anime reviews, which were quite good, as well as Vampire Reviews, which are pretty entertaining.

All in all, I'm glad that the Critic is back. I look forward to seeing what new stuff he does, although I wouldn't mind some oldies - Top 11 and Old vs. New were always a lot of fun.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-23, 12:00 PM
I get style over substance, but I would argue bay HAS no style.

It feels like the most disgustingly worst aspects of filmaking mashed together.

The most Putrid of characters, actions scenes that make you sick, and its all just so....TOO MUCH. Like IN YOUR FACE with EVERYTHING all at once. No break. Its just EVERYTHING all the time. Either the most vapid or poor of characters IN YOUR FACE or its the most vomit inducing of action IN YOUR FACE, or the most basic and pathetic of humor IN YOUR MOOOOOUUUUUUUUTH!

If Style over substance is a 10 second long firework, then Bays work is an explosion at the waste treatment plant that ends up sticking to your face and smothering your cat.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-02-23, 12:10 PM
I get style over substance, but I would argue bay HAS no style.

It feels like the most disgustingly worst aspects of filmaking mashed together.

The most Putrid of characters, actions scenes that make you sick, and its all just so....TOO MUCH. Like IN YOUR FACE with EVERYTHING all at once. No break. Its just EVERYTHING all the time. Either the most vapid or poor of characters IN YOUR FACE or its the most vomit inducing of action IN YOUR FACE, or the most basic and pathetic of humor IN YOUR MOOOOOUUUUUUUUTH!

If Style over substance is a 10 second long firework, then Bays work is an explosion at the waste treatment plant that ends up sticking to your face and smothering your cat.

I don't want to say you don't get it but it feels like you don't get it.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-23, 12:44 PM
I don't want to say you don't get it but it feels like you don't get it.

Thats the problem with relying with purely on style. There are no objective things to base apon. Thus if you don't like the style, then there is nothing else to base apon.

AKA: Its my personal taste. Thats all there is to get.

And what is there to get? Does the shakey cam add to the flavor? Do the insensitive, unfunny characters add to the charm?

Dr.Epic
2013-02-23, 12:45 PM

I'm sorry, but asking me to feel compassion, sympathy, or guilt for making fun of the man who brought us Revenge of the Fallen is like asking me to feel compassion, sympathy, or guilt for making fun of a man who just repeatedly punched me in the face for two and a half hours.

As a fan of my childhood I disapprove of this message.

Looks at monitor on the page announcing Megan Fox as April O'Neil in the new Michael Bay TMNT movie.

:(

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!:smallbiggrin:

Oh man! That was BRILLIANT!!! One of the funniest things I've heard in a long time! Can I sig that?

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-02-23, 12:53 PM
Thats the problem with relying with purely on style. There are no objective things to base apon. Thus if you don't like the style, then there is nothing else to base apon.

AKA: Its my personal taste. Thats all there is to get.

And what is there to get? Does the shakey cam add to the flavor? Do the insensitive, unfunny characters add to the charm?

The fact that you keep bringing up the shortcomings in the characters as if I didn't acknowledge them myself suggests you didn't quite grasp the finer parts of my points. Bay films have the depth of a lot of those terrible 50s films but has the sense to obscure that through being energetic, glamorous, majestic and dextrous whereas those other films are sluggish, anemic and static.

Sleeping Beauty, Evil Dead, Hoop Dreams, Suspiria; these are the films you should compare Bay's output to. None of these feature much in the way of writing/characters (and, I mean, Bay could never be as misogynist as Evil Dead is if he tried) but they're so cherished/acclaimed because of the way they're presented. Michael Bay comes from that school of philosophy and it's been a genuine and appreciated set of priorities since films began. Stop talking about the characters. Stop talking about the plot. Stop talking about the characters. And for the love of god, stop being prudish and bringing up how "offensive" something is (no "Triumph of the Will" or "Intolerance" for you, then) because it's not relevant.

I'm sorry, but asking me to feel compassion, sympathy, or guilt for making fun of the man who brought us Revenge of the Fallen is like asking me to feel compassion, sympathy, or guilt for making fun of a man who just repeatedly punched me in the face for two and a half hours.

Yeah Transformers 2 is garbage. Bad Boys II and The Rock are his masterpieces. The latter even made it to Criterion, if I'm not mistaken, and that's impressive.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-23, 03:48 PM
Yeah Transformers 2 is garbage.

No, no. Transformers 2 isn't garbage. Transformers 2 is a nuclear, radioactive, rotting, 500-foot-radius pile of trash that if you get with a quarter of a mile of you will most likely contract a terminal disease.

Bad Boys II and The Rock are his masterpieces. The latter even made it to Criterion, if I'm not mistaken, and that's impressive.

Sorry, but you can't the title of any of Michael Bay's films and the word "masterpiece" in the same sentence without a negative. It's a serious grammatical mistake. I new a guy who failed his English final for making that mistake.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-23, 11:08 PM
I knew a guy who failed his English final for making that mistake.

Fixed that for you. :smallwink:

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-24, 03:53 AM
energetic, glamorous, majestic and dextrous

Ugh those words don't belong there.

Sleeping Beauty, Evil Dead, Hoop Dreams, Suspiria; these are the films you should compare Bay's output to.

I GET that. Thing is, I DO compare them to those and he STILL sucks.

A good action movie STILL needs a good character. Not one with much depth but fun to watch. Thing is, what he does in his movies is NOT stylistic enough for me to excuse the plots. I GET what hes trying to do. I just think he SUCKS at it.

What he does I find IS NOT visually impressive. Its OBNOXIOUS. And Im not a fan of "ironically" bad things.

Yeah Transformers 2 is garbage. Bad Boys II and The Rock are his masterpieces. The latter even made it to Criterion, if I'm not mistaken, and that's impressive.

Eh. Its alright. Its nothing special.

What Im saying is thats very low standards to just watch some blinking lights in front of your face with no substance to it at all. What you call style, I call just being the visual equivalent of gluttony. Its too much. Its just shoveling crap in its mouth.

Also his level of Americanism goes beyond "Just pride". Its disgusting visual masterbation to our military.

Codyage
2013-02-24, 04:00 AM
I thought The Island was pretty good. Just throwing in my two cents.

Edit: Now that I think about it, wasn't "The Draft" in use during WWII? If someone was drafted into The Navy, isn't the chance of someone not knowing how to swim much more likely, because well they didn't WANT to be on a boat, they were kind of forced. I think you would still be placed on a ship, regardless if you past the swimming exercises or not.

Correct me if I am wrong however, I am not 100% myself.

turkishproverb
2013-02-24, 05:56 AM
I think generally they shifted you to another service (infantry, army, etc) if you had such a clear "doesn't fit" marker. Besides that, the draft started up AFTER pearl harbor.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-02-24, 07:02 AM
What Im saying is thats very low standards to just watch some blinking lights in front of your face with no substance to it at all. What you call style, I call just being the visual equivalent of gluttony. Its too much. Its just shoveling crap in its mouth.

EDIT: Just ignore this. I shouldn't message board while angry. Let's just chalk it up to "I like it, most don't". I'm not really up to talking about this anymore.

Boci
2013-03-06, 08:51 AM
Okay, I think it speaks a lot to the problems of Demo Reel that I found the skit in the most recent nostalgia critic episode better, because I had context beyond "a movie re-making company remakes another scene". Sure it dragged on for a bit, but I found it funnier and a lot more relevant.

As for the overall episode (Son of the Mask), it was okay, but a bit too screamy, and overall I found it to be a nit hit and miss. Normally when I watch a NC episode I'm enjoying myself when I laugh, but also enjoying myself when I'm not laughing, simply apreciating a change in pace. But for this one if I wasn't laughing I generally wasn't enjoying myself. There was little analysis, and alot of both that and the jokes were about how creepy the imagery was, which to give credit Doug showed impressive adaptability in reusing, but still couldn't entirely prevent the joke from becoming repetitive.

Tengu_temp
2013-03-06, 10:20 AM
I liked this review. Doug screaming his lungs out because he's annoyed is also annoying, but Doug screaming his lungs out because he's afraid is hilarious.

Mando Knight
2013-03-06, 10:38 AM
I've been a fan of the Nostalgia Critic for years, and was disappointed when he announced his retirement (Which I totally wasn't aware of at first because I stopped watching To Boldly Flee halfway in because, let's be honest, it's kind of boring).It was heavily hinted at in his then-final review, where the entire thing took on the basic structure and plot of the Star Trek TNG finale, "All Good Things... (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/All_Good_Things..._%28episode%29)"
Once NC ended, I started browsing the rest of the site and discovered JO's anime reviews,
JO's stuff is pretty entertaining, IMO. She's also got a live stream on Saturdays, and a rather active Twitter account...

Tengu_temp
2013-03-06, 10:41 AM
I don't like JO, because most of the time she's talking out of her ass instead of doing actual research on the topics she's covering. She only manages to fool people into believing she's knowledgable because most other TGWTG people know even less about anime than she does.

3WhiteFox3
2013-03-06, 01:03 PM
I liked this review. Doug screaming his lungs out because he's annoyed is also annoying, but Doug screaming his lungs out because he's afraid is hilarious.

Just found this thread and I agree. I also loved his "a family picture" jokes, even though he's done that style of joke before, it just felt really fresh here. I had mixed feelings about the skits. Now, I'm Brony and I appreciate the shout-out and all. It's just that it felt a little tacked on for the sake on doing a joke with something popular; but for the purposes of the joke it works, so I can't really complain. (It also helps that I from what I can tell the Doug has no real bad will against the Bronies, unlike some.)

Eldan
2013-03-06, 04:20 PM
Mhm. This one was pretty good, after the last two, which were a bit weak. Though the Satan bit in the beginning could have been shorter. Gandalf Christ was fun, though.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-06, 04:54 PM
I didn't catch all of the new episode, but the beginning implied this would have a narrative to the review like the last one. Do you think Doug's gonna do this for every review? 'cause I think it'll get pretty old.

Mando Knight
2013-03-06, 04:59 PM
Mhm. This one was pretty good, after the last two, which were a bit weak. Though the Satan bit in the beginning could have been shorter. Gandalf Christ was fun, though.
It's Santa Christ, playing up how much he appears like Gandalf and how Gandalf was one of the characters with Christ-like qualities in LotR.

I didn't catch all of the new episode, but the beginning implied this would have a narrative to the review like the last one. Do you think Doug's gonna do this for every review? 'cause I think it'll get pretty old.He's done meta-narratives for a lot of his reviews. He might not do one for every review, but he'll likely do it for those that "jump" at him for a potential meta-narrative.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-06, 05:00 PM
He's done meta-narratives for a lot of his reviews. He might not do one for every review, but he'll likely do it for those that "jump" at him for a potential meta-narrative.

But I hate most of his narrative reviews. Doug really can't handle story structure.

Cikomyr
2013-03-21, 03:24 PM
Hehe.. haven't finished today's review, but my favourite joke so far:

"We have received a random letter! LET'S DESTROY A NATION!!!"

Dr.Epic
2013-03-27, 01:00 PM
Hehe.. haven't finished today's review, but my favourite joke so far:

"We have received a random letter! LET'S DESTROY A NATION!!!"

The Fire Nation shares that same sort of mentality.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Cikomyr
2013-04-17, 01:36 PM
All right. There is something incredibly funny in today's review. The part with focus group analyst.

THAT is high satire. THAT is a perfect balance between political (?) commentary and humor.