PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 3: Finals Month

Odentin
2012-10-24, 10:32 AM
OOC Thread (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251645)

Maxwell College, RPG Club Room
Monday After Thanksgiving

It is the first Monday following the Thanksgiving break. The weather is cool, crisp, standard for this time of year. This morning, students returned from Thanksgiving break, milling about the campus and trying to shake off any lingering effects of the break, in preparation for their upcoming finals. The RPG Club members are no exception, returning to their duties, or having never left.

After the Halloween Party, Adam distanced himself from the others for obvious reasons. An exception was made, of course, with he and Leon moving into a house on the edge of campus before the break, and the club turning the basement into a safehouse. He doesn't frequent the RPG room much at the moment. The others, though, still congregate before class, to share news or just lament the oncoming classes.

This morning, however, one news story takes preference over all others, appearing on the lips of almost every Maxwell student who hears it. On Saturday night, just before midnight, a patient escaped from the Dangerous Patients wing of the local Mental Hospital. His whereabouts are still unknown, though the police are still searching, and no one seems to know how he was able to escape at all. What makes this such big news, however, is that the patient is a former student at Maxwell College, one whose name is all too familiar to the RPG Club.

Jamie Price.

savior indra
2012-10-24, 01:48 PM
Kale turned off the flatscreen in his apartment as he sighed and rubbed his eyes. This was turning into one heck of a mess. He got up and walked towards his refrigerator, pouring himself a glass of Glenlivet Scotch Whiskey, before walking towards his window. He looked up into the sky before taking a sip.

He closed his eyes before setting the whiskey aside as he turned to lean against the window before sliding down to the floor, his head in his hands. He had hoped to put this behind him. He wanted to stop, get on with his life, try to actually live, but of course, nothing would be that easy. He hadn't even gone out on patrol in weeks. He pulled out his phone before finding Michelle's number and dialing it.

"Michelle? It's me. Could... could you come over? I don't think I can be alone right now..." said Kale in hoarse voice.

Odentin
2012-10-24, 02:26 PM
Michelle answers, sounding rushed with her greeting. Her voice turns apologetic as she replies, "Kale, I can't. I'm already at school, and my first class starts in 20 minutes. I'll come over this afternoon, okay?"

savior indra
2012-10-24, 03:07 PM
"S'okay... I... I'll see you then" said Kale weakly before disconnecting the phone. He looked around his apartment, It was bare, sparely decorated. Hell, not even the TV belonged to him, it came with renting the place.

Nothing personal of Kale's was even in the kitchen or living room. He had come to Chicago with a backpack, a suitcase and a duffle bag. He could be packed and read to leave the city for good in less than 15 minutes.

At one point he would have been proud, loved the efficiency and discipline in being able to just up and leave in a hurry if necessary, in case he was tracked. Now, he just hated himself for growing so disconnected with the world.

He picked up his glass and swirled the contents around in a dark vortex, gazing into the depths before gulping it down in a single swig. It was good thing he was only taking 12 credit hours this semester and didn't have class until tomorrow. He walked to his bedroom; and without bothering to take off any of his clothes, collapsed onto the bed, letting himself drift away into blissful oblivion, rather than letting his mind be consumed by the ennui of everyday life.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-24, 03:09 PM
Leon lounge sin his usual spot in the club room. His first class isn't for another hour, so he's got some time to spare. Flipping through the newspaper he picked up on the way to campus, he reads over the headlines, and stops when he sees the article about Price. "Well, that's lovely. This is going to be our problem, I can tell." He holds the newspaper up, article facing outward. "Anybody else hear about this?"

SurlySeraph
2012-10-24, 04:47 PM
"Yep." Semira's sitting on the floor, alternately twirling and chewing on a pencil. "I haven't had a chance to talk to any of my friends who work at the psych ward yet, but I'm surprised - they're pretty competent."

She flips listlessly through a chapter of her Historical Psych textbook, trying to find margin notes other than "is Blumhagen impt? probably" and "said we have to memorize all the culture-bound syndromes. bullsh!t."

"Kinda glad I spent the weekend with Zach. Though I guess Price wouldn't have any way to know about the house yet. Well, any natural way... you didn't hear anything weird yesterday or Saturday night, did you?"

-Sentinel-
2012-10-24, 04:59 PM
Balanced precariously on two legs of his chair, Tony looked up from his Motor Trend issue.

"Oh, that? Yeah, saw it," he said with disgust. "They had him for, what, three weeks? Unfµckingbelievable. 'Course, he used to be a cop, he must know the tricks to get away and stay hidden."

For a law student, the Latino had never had much love for authority figures of any sort. The recent revelation that a cop was now suspected of the Halloween Massacre only strengthened his belief that psychos were drawn to the power of the uniform and badge.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-24, 05:43 PM
Leon folded the paper and tossed it onto the table. "I'd like to say it's not that easy, but I can't without lying."

McGonigle
2012-10-24, 07:17 PM
"Yeah, heard about it in a text from Ellen earlier." Jaime commented looking up from the text she was reading. She didn't bring up the fact that Ellen had pretty much only texted her to call dibs on the angle she was thinking off.

"Whether he's our problem, really depends if he decides to come back, we could mobilise, just to find he's headed out of state, somewhere he's less well known. It seems like the sensible course of action, not that the pig struck me as sensible." Jaime was so hoping that he had left town, the prospect that she could encounter Jamie again was really playing on her mind. To the point that she had been reading the same page for 15 minutes the information not really sinking in.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-24, 07:57 PM
"Eh. I'd like for him to move on, but I'm not optimistic about it. Like I said, this is going to be our problem, one way or another. Either Price's escape will be our only problem, and we can fix it quickly, preferably without much, if any, bloodshed, or, more likely, this is only a small part of a bigger problem, that will still fall into our laps." He leans back and closes his eyes. "Just you wait."

SurlySeraph
2012-10-24, 08:09 PM
Sem nods at Leon. "Yeah. I'll visit the hospital after classes today. Maybe there's a weakness other patients might get out by. Or maybe there's not, and something worse is going on here. I could probably get someone else in to look around, too. Jamie, maybe you?"

Misaat
2012-10-24, 09:16 PM
Matthew's sitting in his little shop in the corner of the room. Leaning over the table he speaks to the to other as he dismantles an old CPU.

" We should probably check with some of Jamie's old friends too... To see if he came into contact with any of them... or check out the place of the Haloween Party... They say Criminals always return to the scene of the crime... "

-Sentinel-
2012-10-24, 10:20 PM
"They say Criminals always return to the scene of the crime... "
Tony snorted cynically. "Who says that? And what are we going to do about it, set up a twenty-four/seven vigil in Tyler Hall?"

He plunged himself once more in the Motor Trend article about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi. "Not sure that's our problem. I deal with supernatural threats 'cause they're an abomination against God and the cops aren't even aware of them. But here, what can we do that the police aren't already doing? Price must have lots of competent people on his trail as we speak."

Tony was a rather new addition to the RPG Club and had not been on many hunts for now. His focus was markedly different from his friends': mundane threats, like rapists and street gangs, were none of his concern. He only hunted the supernatural. His comrades had wisely never told him that their ally Karen Turner was a ghoul and therefore, by his point of view, a blasphemous supernatural monster.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-25, 08:16 AM
"You'd be surprised how this gets going. Something goes wrong, and it falls into our laps to fix it, because we're the only competent ones around. It's not a good system, but it's the way things happen here."

SurlySeraph
2012-10-25, 10:41 AM
"Yep. And don't forget, we still have no idea how he got out. Maybe he made a deal with one of the workers... maybe he made a deal with something else. We can't rule out the supernatural until we've got some evidence."

Misaat
2012-10-25, 11:07 AM
" And technically it was our fault that he got caught in the first place... i fear he may target one of us as soon as he gets the police off his trail... We need to be very carefull when we go out at night... well even more so than usual..."

McGonigle
2012-10-25, 11:08 AM
"Yeah, sure it will make sure I take a break from studying." She commented to Semira, before addressing Tony's complaint.

"I'm not sure if we have a real choice in the matter, most of the students resonsible for putting him in the asylum are in this room. If he comes seeking revenge, it's very rapidly going to become our problem"

-Sentinel-
2012-10-25, 05:11 PM
"We can't rule out the supernatural until we've got some evidence."
Tony chuckled. "You know you've been hunting for too long when you become sort of a reverse skeptic and assume there's something supernatural going on until all irrational options have been ruled out."

His smile vanished when Matthew spoke. "Oh, right. The revenge thing. That could become our problem. You guys' problem, that is, but what's your problem is also mine. Are the cops aware of your roles in getting Price arrested? 'Cause if not, we're on our own if he comes for us."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-25, 09:12 PM
Leon thinks for a minute. "I don't... think so, but I can't be sure. Adam they know about, no question. As for the rest of us... I doubt it. We've got a contact on the inside, but I'm not sure how much he'll be able to do for us. Not that it really matters. Price is a wanted man. He comes after us, we've got at least three laws that say we can detain him by any means necessary, possibly including lethal force. I think, anyway. That's how it works out East."

Odentin
2012-10-25, 09:22 PM
The discussion goes on until classes begin, and the club members filter off to their respective classes. The day goes by slowly, professors giving lectures, students sleeping through them. Ellen seems to gloat about calling dibs on the Price story, and assigns Jaime to investigate the noise complaints that have been happening around Maxwell for the past 2 weeks, instead.

Students continue to murmur about Jamie's escape, the rumors getting more and more outrageous as the hours pass. Near 6pm, he apparently took down 42 guards on the way out while wearing a straight jacket, then disappeared into thin air when they finally cornered him. Amidst it all, Leon receives a text from Adam, Won't be home until late tonight.

I'm going to try to avoid having Adam appear uninvited, but if any of you guys want to contact him or ask him to show up, he'll make an appearance.

As her final class ends, Semira remembers her thought about visiting the hospital where Price escaped...

Kale: If you're gonna do anything else during the school day, or show up at school at all, lemme know.

Michelle comes by after her final class, as promised. Concern is written all over her face as she enters the apartment, "Are you ok? You sounded panicked earlier..."

If anyone wants to do anything else, lemme know. I really hadn't had anything PLANNED for this day. You guys are just awesome.

SurlySeraph
2012-10-25, 09:28 PM
Sem shrugs. "The cops should know I disarmed him, I said so when Jaime interviewed me. If they care enough and have the manpower to send someone to watch me, great. As long as it's not someone who thinks Price is innocent, or is corrupt, or is just a creep... honestly, I think I'd be more worried with a cop trailing me all day than without."

EDIT:
Sem visits the hospital, Jaime in tow, and asks a postdoc friend of hers if she can check out the cell Price was in. She also asks staff members about Price's behavior leading up the incident, if there was anyone on the inside he talked with a lot, and if he'd written or drawn anything.

savior indra
2012-10-25, 11:28 PM
"Thanks for coming over Michelle." said Kale as he turned to face her, wiping the sweat off his brow with a towel. He had cleared away the kitchen table and chairs to make room for him to practice Kung Fu, even if he hadn't been on the Vigil for weeks, it was still ingrained in him to keep up his training.

"Sorry about the mess. Do you want anything to drink?" asked Kale as he pulled up a chair for her to sit in while he opened the refrigerator. "I've got water, tea, scotch, some juice..."

After getting Michelle a drink (if she asks for one), Kale pulls up another chair beside her. He stares off into space his hands clasped tightly together before he started to speak.

"I don't know what I'm doing with my life Michelle. I for the last three years I was running away from the pain by just being emotionally detached from everyone around me, but you know what happened on Halloween. I don't know what to do..." muttered Kale trailing off before he rubbed his eyes.

"And on top of all this Jamie f**king Price escapes. Before I would've tracked him down and killed without a second thought. Now, I'm not sure. I don't know what to do..."

-Sentinel-
2012-10-25, 11:48 PM
Tony spent his law classes in his usual bored daze. He wondered why he even came; he already had textbooks explaining everything his teachers droned about. Oh, right - attendance was mandatory, and you were not allowed to sit exams if you missed more than X classes. Wasn't that stupid?

To pass the time, he tried to imagine that he was Jamie Price. What would he do and where would he go after escaping a mental hospital? He would not stay in Illinois, that's for sure. He would probably try to get his hands on a weapon, a car and some cash, and then leave the country.

What kind of man was Price, anyway? Supposedly he was in no mental state to be put on trial, but perhaps there was already a lawyer examining his case for when he became apt to face a judge; some lawyers were always looking for the most infamous clients. As soon as his last class was over, Tony made a phone call to a postgrad acquaintance in case he knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who had read Price's file.

So yeah, just trying know if there is a lawyer (be it a defense attorney or a prosecutor) who called dibs on the Jamie Price case. I'm not looking for any specific info about Price himself.

Manipulation 2 + Persuasion 1 using Contacts (lawyers)... but I rolled one too many die.

[roll0]

10's: [roll1]

Nope.

Misaat
2012-10-26, 03:23 PM
Matthew spent most of his classes dozing off (Except for Math) He woke up from a terrible dream in Computer History ... Jamie Price was chasing him around with a Machete Friday the 13th style across campus. Matt awoke right before the blade touched his skull... A Cold sweat was running down his neck as he thought... " I was the one who led him to the bathroom... what if he comes after me... thinking it was i who set him up...?"

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-26, 03:42 PM
Leon went through his classes as he usually did: copying down the notes on the board, paying one ear's worth of attention to what his professors were saying, and spending the rest of his time surfing the internet. After his classes were finished, he returned to the RPG room, waiting for his friends to get back.

Odentin
2012-10-26, 07:16 PM
Semira: None of her contacts can get access to the cell, by police orders, but she does find out that it's impossible to open the cell doors from within. Only guards and medical staff can enter, using magnetic key badges, and each entry is recorded by the security system with the time and Emplyee Number of the person who opened it. The system shows the entry, but no one seems to know whose key was used to open the door...

As for his behavior, he'd been generally quiet, though when questioned, he would ramble about ghosts and revenge. The only ones who ever talked with him were the medical and mental health personnel.

Kale: Michelle takes some juice, sitting and listening to Kale rant with a concerned frown on her face. She sneers at the mention of Halloween, but reaches out and places her hand on Kale's back, resting it comfortingly, "It's not your problem anymore, Kale. They'll catch him. Just...just don't stress out about it. It's hard changing your outlook, but it is possible. And I'm here to help..."

Tony: Either no one jumped on the chance to prosecute/defend Price, or Tony simply can't find them. It was only the past few days that he was even deemed well enough to face trial, so not much had been done with his case, yet.

SurlySeraph
2012-10-27, 12:38 PM
Sem looks around the entrance to the cell and tries to figure out how he could have gotten out.
Wits + Investigation: [roll0]
If Puzzles specialty applies: [roll1]
In case of 10s: [roll2]

-Sentinel-
2012-10-27, 11:11 PM
Well. Wasn't expecting much, I guess, thought Tony after his calls taught him nothing. There was little else he could do. Going too far out of his way to find Price would only bring unwanted attention from the police, who no doubt wanted to bring down the psycho as quickly and discreetly as possible to keep the ex-cop from making them look bad once more. Unless Price showed his face on campus and/or turned out to be a werewolf or something, this was none of Tony's business.

He went back to the RPG Club room, collapsed into a chair and opened a thick law book to get his homework out of the way as quickly as possible.

"'Sup?" he asked Leon. "Think you should survive the exams?"

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-28, 09:00 AM
Leon nods as Tony enters the room. "They're still about a month off, but I should. How about you?"

savior indra
2012-10-28, 09:43 AM
"I know changing my outlook is possible but I'm still not sure if I want to... I was making a difference on the streets Michelle. I was making them safer, I was improving people's lives!" said Kale passionately as he tried to explain the confusion tearing at his heart.

-Sentinel-
2012-10-28, 10:19 AM
Leon nods as Tony enters the room. "They're still about a month off, but I should. How about you?"
"I'll manage," said Tony.

The illegal immigrant had almost flunked his first two terms - a major downside of entering college without even a high school education. But he worked hard, adapted quickly and sought all the help he could find, and his average grades were slowly but surely approaching a respectable B. After a decade north of the Rio Grande, the American Dream finally seemed possible in the foreseeable future.

"So I gather you... uh... study supernatural beasties? Trying to see how they work?" He absent-mindedly played with the crucifix hanging from his neck. "Honestly, I doubt the forces of Hell can be understood by any mortal logic. They're sent to us by something that cannot imitate God's orderly and harmonious Creation, only corrupt and destroy it."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-28, 10:28 AM
Leon chuckles. "I take the ones we kill apart, yeah. I don't know about them being sent by Hell or wherever, but I don't think "orderly and harmonious" applies to this world, supernatural beasties aside. Of course, I'm not very religious. My cousin always was; don't know if he agreed with everything the Catholic Church taught, in fact he probably didn't, but he had his faith, and he could justify it. Me, not so much. I stopped listening in religion class a while ago, figuring everything had a rational, scientific explanation. Now... Well, I've cut up two vampires, and helped some ghosts find peace. I don't know what to believe anymore." Leon notices the crucifix Tony is playing with. "What about you? Christian?"

-Sentinel-
2012-10-28, 10:44 AM
"Of course. Roman Catholic." Tony gave Leon a strange look. "And you were able to live like that? Thinking there was no justice in the world, no promise of a final victory over evil, no life after death? But now you know there's ghosts... which kind of proves that death's not the end and that the soul does exist. Doesn't it fill you with hope?"

I hope no one is uncomfortable with Tony's outspoken faith - if so, I can tone it down a bit. I have no religious faith, myself, being a staunch rationalist like Leon... but then again, I don't live in a world where the supernatural actually exists.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-28, 11:37 AM
"For a while there, yeah. You're familiar with the Problem of Evil, right? Basically, it's an argument by Epicurus that says that, because there is evil in the world, a benevolent, all-loving, all-powerful God can't exist. I'm still not sure how to reconcile the two, given that things like vampires exist and are allowed to prey on us." Leon sighed. "You're right about one thing, though. There is more out there than stark rationalism would have you believe. As for whether that fills me with hope, well... The ghosts stuck around because they had unfinished business. That doesn't guarantee life after death, just that there is some part of us able to hold on for a while. What happened to the ghosts after we brought Price to justice? Did they disappear into oblivion? Go on to some final reward? I don't know. I'm not too eager to find out, either."

Nah, it's fine by me. Rational Roman Catholic, over here, so this should be interesting to watch. Two characters, each with different views from their players, discussing those views.

-Sentinel-
2012-10-28, 12:20 PM
"Well, I've thought about the Problem of Evil," said Tony, "and I believe I have an answer. God may be all-powerful, but He also gave us free will; like any good father, he watches over us but also lets us make our own way in the world. He could stop us from committing evil, but it would mean trampling all over our free will. And if we don't have free will, how can He judge the righteous and the wicked? I mean, He can't send us to Heaven or Hell over acts we have no control over, can He? It would hardly be fair."

It occurred to Tony, just then, that perhaps his preoccupation with a just and fair world had played a part in his decision to go for a law degree.

"Most of the time, fighting evil is the task of men, not God. The Almighty only gives us the tools and knowledge to do it. If you believe you can gain the knowledge yourself from dissecting monsters, good for you, but I'm just far from sure you'll find your answers this way. Nothing that comes from Hell obeys the laws God put in place."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-28, 12:48 PM
Leon scoffs. "Fighting evil? I'm a scientist, I don't care about good or evil. I just want to know how these monsters work. If the world becomes a better place, so much the better, but that's a secondary concern at best."

I'm impressed, -Sentinel-, Tony's statement about free will being the reason evil is allowed to exist in the world is basically my counter to the Problem of Evil. I'm less concerned about judgment and take a more long-term, "Humans are supposed to grow up spiritually, and to do that we need to be able to learn from our actions and the actions of others, and to make our own choices" type of view, but still.

McGonigle
2012-10-28, 06:43 PM
Jaime kept quiet, as they were lead around, letting Semira do the vast majority of the talking. She was just discretely jotting down notes on her notepad and keeping an open mind trying to find something that didn't add up.

[roll0] Wits + Investigation +Bureaucratic Navigator
In case 10's explode[roll1]

Odentin
2012-10-28, 07:22 PM
Semira and Jaime: There isn't any evidence of forced exit or entry from the cell. It's a heavy metal door with a polycarbonate window looking inside. Next to the door is a magnetic key plate. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that there's no information on who let Price out, though that doesn't seem to make much sense to anyone else, either...

Kale: "But at what cost? Driving away anyone you care about? Killing yourself? And what happens when you're wrong? What's THAT going to do to you? Especially if you don't have anyone to support you."

Leon and Tony: After a while, the janitor comes by, letting you both know that he's closing up the building, and that you can't be in the club room any longer. If Semira had planned on returning to campus, she hasn't made it back.

Surly/McGonigle, feel free to keep going. I'm just saying you won't have time to make it back before the building is closed down.

SurlySeraph
2012-10-28, 09:03 PM
Sem sits in a sparsely furnished waiting room and makes cell phone calls to a few of Zach's friends, asking if they have any guesses about where Jamie might have gone. She has no clear lead at the hospital, but information on the later steps on his trail could shed light on the earlier steps.
Because I have other Contacts!
Manipulation + Persuasion: [roll0]
In case of 10s: [roll1]

Also,

each entry is recorded by the security system with the time and Emplyee Number of the person who opened it. The system shows the entry, but no one seems to know whose key was used to open the door...
So does this mean I've got a time and employee number of when Jamie's cell was opened, but no idea whose number it was? If so, figuring out who was on duty then might be useful.

Odentin
2012-10-28, 09:32 PM
Semira: No one has heard from Price, and like they told the police, they have no clue where he'd go. His condo might be an option, but being a cop himself, he would probably know that that would be a bad idea...

No, there's a time stamp, but no ID number AT ALL. And you can't get access to a hard copy of the records, just a glance at the screen. He seems to have escaped at 11:52 pm.

-Sentinel-
2012-10-28, 10:44 PM
Tony closed his law book with a sigh. He could not wait for their new safe house to be ready for use; they would not be bothered as often.

"Hey, Leon, I've been thinking. What's-her-name, Ian Keating's sister... I really hope she's careful, with Price in the loose. I think we should check on her once in a while. Any of us got her number?"

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-28, 11:15 PM
Leon picked himself up from his sprawled position with a groan. "I think Adam has it; pretty sure they went out a couple weeks ago. I'll text him to make sure he warns her; good thinking, there."

Leon pulls out his phone and types out a text to Adam: Keep an eye on Allison, and make sure she's careful; Price is on the loose and may come after her or us. He hits send, puts the phone back in his pocket, and grabs his bag. "You wanna grab some dinner? I'm in the mood for Wendy's."

Odentin
2012-10-28, 11:24 PM
Leon: It takes Adam a few minutes to reply, but he does so, I heard. Will make sure she is safe. Stay alert.

-Sentinel-
2012-10-28, 11:28 PM
"Wendy's it is, then."

Tony was tired of people always suggesting Taco Bell to him just because he was Mexican.

SurlySeraph
2012-10-29, 12:52 AM
Slightly reassured that Price didn't escape exactly at midnight, Sem tries to find out who was on duty then.

savior indra
2012-10-29, 01:04 AM
Michelle's comment silenced Kale for a couple minutes before he responded in a quiet, yet fervent voice."Michelle are you familiar with the term, Noblesse Oblige? It's French, it means nobility obliges. I was lucky enough, privileged enough to be born with wealth, as such I have a responsibility to those less fortunate. I have the strength, ability, and knowledge to fight; therefore, I have an obligation to do so for those who cannot."

Kale stood up and looked out at the world, before continuing. "And If I am wrong, If I die, I shall die with my pride intact, with a clear conscience, and the knowledge that I have fulfilled my duty in some small measure. And really, can a person ask for more in their final moments?"

Kale then moved towards his bedroom, motioning for Michelle to follow, when she entered she saw him push the clothes in his closet to either side to reveal an extremely thin cabinet hidden behind them. It seemed to be made of steel, and had a keypad and lock. Kale retrieved the key from a simple leather band around his neck before shielding the keypad from view as he entered the code and inserted the key into the lock and twisted. He opened it to reveal his armor; night black and polished hanging from the ceiling of the cabinet.

"This is what I wore underneath my costume that night. It's made of ceramic disks that overlap encased in an aramid fabric cover, It'll stop anything up to a 50.cal sniper rifle. I won't die easy Michelle. I've been doing this for quite some time," said Kale motioning to the armor while looking down and smiling before his eyes met hers.

McGonigle
2012-10-29, 09:16 AM
"Would it be possible to check the records for the doors at the end of these corridors," Jaime quipped in when they were looking over the doors record.

I'm guessing they have other internally locked doors rather than just the doors to the cell (ecspecially at that time of night.) Which are probaly on the same security system, while we don't have a number the lack of a number is just as much as a mark. From that we should be able to work out:
1) Whether he left the hospital by going though other doors
1a) The vauge route he took out
1b) His speed on leaving the building and from that we might get a positive for if he was going willingly. (If the rate is slower than walking it might suggest he was going against his will.)
2) It might tell us the route his helper took in or
2a) Show that whatever helped him, got there without going though the doors.

Odentin
2012-10-29, 02:39 PM
Semira and Jaime: Semira is able to get a list of the personnel on staff that night. None of them are in the building at the moment, though. There are four names, two nurses and two security guards.
-Jake Cross, Nurse
-Angelina Morales, Nurse
-Alex Cooper, Security
-Cooper Murray, Security

Jaime is told that they can't show records for the security doors or the security cameras for the night of the escape. Apparently, those recordings have been corrupted and lost.

Kale: Michelle's demeanor grows cold as Kale rants, "Look, what you and your...friends-" she practically spits the word, "-think you're doing, it's wrong. You want to help people? Donate to charity, go help out at the shelter. Playing vigilante, though? That's just sick, Kale..."

She takes a few steps back, towards the door, a frightful and disgusted look starting to cross her face, "If you want to try to work yourself back into society, I'm here for you, but if you're going to keep up this level of craziness, then I can't...I just can't, Kale..."

SurlySeraph
2012-10-29, 06:10 PM
Sem writes the names down on a sticky note and catches a bus back to her dorm, done investigating for the night.

savior indra
2012-10-30, 12:35 PM
"I understand Michelle. I haven't made the decision myself. I'll let you know when I do." said Kale with the barest hints of disappointment in his voice. He continues to sit on his bed looking at his armor until Michelle leaves.

Odentin
2012-10-30, 04:16 PM
Kale: Michelle lingers a moment, as if struggling with what else to say. Silently, though she turns and exits, leaving Kale alone in the spartan apartment.

Maxwell College, The Next Morning

Leon: Leon awakens obscenely early, as usual and sets about preparing for his day. Adam comes out of his room as Leon is leaving and blearily wishes him a good day before heading for the shower. As Leon reaches campus and begins heading to his destination, he notices a small crowd gathering around Tyler Hall. As he gets closer, he can see what all the commotion is about

Lying between the Massacre Memorial and the edge of the woods is a dead body surrounded by blood. The body is torn up, covered in bloody gashes, the clothing shredded. Whatever killed him, it wasn't quick and it sure as hell wasn't clean...

ToySoldier's eyes ONLY: Wits+medicine to determine the nature of the wounds.

Now stop looking, cheaters.As he looks closer, Leon finally recognizes the face of the dead man. His face is half covered in blood and obscured by the way the body is laying, but from the right angle, Leon can see clearly that Jamie Price will no longer be able to cause the vigilantes any trouble.

The police are on the scene three minutes later, and they tape the area off to keep anyone from tampering with the body.

Everyone Else In Order:

By the time Jaime arrives, the ME is on the scene, and the body is covered with a sheet. The blood around the scene has all but dried, forming a brown covering on the ground. The crime scene investigators move about the area boredly.

The body is loaded into the coroner's truck just before Tony arrives, though the scene is still taped off and the blood is still present. The crowd of students has mostly dissipated, though a few stragglers remain.

By the time Semira arrives, the police are cleaning the area with a brownish liquid to dissolve the dried blood and wash it into the grass. There isn't much left soon thereafter, and when Matthew and Kale make it to school, the police tape has been taken down, as well. The school buzzes with the news, and of course the rumor mill begins churning out increasingly ridiculous ideas. No one seems to know the man's identity, or those who do are keeping it to themselves...

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-30, 04:34 PM
Wits + Medicine, you got it, boss. And Willpower, because that is not a large dice pool: [roll0]
Also, in case of tens: [roll1]

EDIT: Well, that was useless. Oh well, time for conspiracy theories.

Looking over the body, Leon's clinical side takes over, the same side that allowed him to dissect two vampires with no issue. He begins analyzing the scene into his personal recorder as he snaps photos with his cell phone. "Body has been lacerated multiple times in multiple areas. A great deal of blood has been lost, and in fact blood loss is presumably cause of death. Body has likely been dead less than 12 hours. Identity confirmed as Jamie Price. Guess he won't be giving us trouble. Cause of lacerations... unknown. I cannot tell, from this distance if the lacerations are the result of claws or if this was done with a knife or similar bladed weapon. I can't get closer because of the damn people. ...And the police. Peachy. Body appears to have been killed at the scene, as there is no trail of blood. Time of death no earlier than midnight, possibly 2am to avoid commotion being detected. This was obviously a struggle. What killed him? And is it still around?" As Leon walks away from the scene he sends out a text to the rest of the group: "Good news and bad news. Good news: Price is out of our hair. Permanently. Bad news: I don't know what killed him. Have pictures, will show in meeting room after classes." He puts his phone away, thinking about what he saw as he walks to class. ...This'll be a fun little hunt, I can tell. Maybe I'll get something new to take apart.

Odentin
2012-10-30, 04:39 PM
All Leon can see is bloody wounds. :smalltongue:

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-30, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I figured. Leon hasn't seen any werewolves yet, though he hasn't ruled out their existence, so his mind is bouncing between that and some sick lunatic with a knife. He doesn't think it was a vampire, as the vampires he met killed cleanly, and claimed to prefer not killing in the first place. I assumed there wasn't a trail of blood leading back into the woods, and that was part of Leon's analysis.

Odentin
2012-10-30, 04:50 PM
Aha! Hmm. Wits+investigation for that one.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-30, 05:01 PM
Fair enough. I reserve the right to edit Leon's analysis if this reveals something new. Spending Willpower again: [roll0]
And in case of tens: [roll1]

Odentin
2012-10-30, 05:07 PM
Leon does not see any blood trail leading anywhere. Whatever happened to the man, it happened here.

Also, I love how your mind jumped directly to 'werewolf or psycho' and skipped over the more mundane 'wild animal' completely.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-30, 05:18 PM
This is a Hunter game. We do not deal with wild animals; that's police work. We deal with monsters, be they human or simply wearing a human skin. We hunt the things the people don't want to see, the police don't want to acknowledge, and we suffer for it. But we must, for if we don't, who else will?

Anyway, yeah, that's my brain for you: "Hey look at this guy who was apparently mauled by something vicious." "Oh, cool, lemme get my poking stick and see what happened."

savior indra
2012-10-30, 05:21 PM
Once Kale received Leon's text he sighed, glad that he had started wearing his armor underneath his clothes again. He was glad that the professor was only reviewing for finals, it gave him time to plan out a night-time patrol route.

Im going on patrol tonight. Who wants to come? texted Kale to the group before pulling up a digital map of the campus and surrounding area on his phone down and returning part of his attention to the class, the other part of him silently looking at the map and trying to figure out a good route.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-30, 05:32 PM
Leon responds quickly to Kale's text: You're not going alone. Whatever killed Pierce is probably still out there.

SurlySeraph
2012-10-30, 06:40 PM
Sem has trouble sitting still through her first class. It's a review lecture on projective tests, and every inkblot looks like a bloodstain.

Afterwards, she texts back Can do. Going in the woods is probably a good idea if we want to find anything. And maybe a bad idea if we want to get back out.

-Sentinel-
2012-10-30, 07:10 PM
Eating his cereal, Tony glanced at the text message Leon had sent him. Damn, he thought, and it's only Tuesday. Fun week ahead... He hurriedly got dressed and headed to Tyler Hall. He arrived just in time to see the body being taken away. He was unable to confirm that it was indeed Jamie Price, but he took Leon's word for it.

Can we all meet at lunch break? he texted the rest of the RPG Club.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-10-30, 07:42 PM
Leon responds to Tony's text: I'm free from noon onward. Not sure about the others. I'll be in the club room one way or another.

McGonigle
2012-10-30, 08:50 PM
It didn't take Jaime long to have the camera out and in her hand and to start taking photos, while she would have preferred to get there earlier, a body bag framed against the memorial was a pretty powerful image. Not to mention they probably didn't want anything too graphic on the front page. Still putting the camera away she would see if she could track anything earlier down.

She checked her texts, sending a quick reply to Leon "Yeah I'm free," She had newspaper commitments to be honest but she had a good enough excuse for missing that meeting, it was nothing vital and besides she was researching a piece.

With that in mind she set off to see whether she could get any sources closer to the scene, people who had seen the body etc, both for the paper and to see if she could shed any more light on it.

I'll be honest not entirely sure what the dice pool is for this is, I'll go for one of the lower ones.

Manipulation + Persuasion + WP [roll0]
Ten's explode[roll1]

Odentin
2012-11-01, 09:43 AM
Jaime: Throughout the course of the day, Jaime is able to catch people who were at the scene early enough to see the whole thing (including Leon, of course). Ellen seems disappointed that Jaime got to the witnesses before her, but can't deny her efficiency.

Misaat
2012-11-01, 01:36 PM
Tony's message caught Matthew right on his way to Math class.

" I'll be there. Did something else happen? "

SurlySeraph
2012-11-01, 06:23 PM
Sem replies Sure to Tony.

Odentin
2012-11-03, 12:03 AM
Matthew: Matthew's research takes a while, but he is able to discover that the initial report states that Price was killed by a bear. The person who called the police was a sophomore named Sarah White.

The campus is notably somber for the day. Even the rumor mill seemed to have ground to a halt for the incident. It seems that with as much death as the school has seen, the students are loathe to make a scene about it. Except Wayne, of course, who was still trying to convince people that, "If the guy had a gun on him, then whatever got him wouldn't have!"

Misaat
2012-11-03, 09:14 AM
" A bear?... In the middle of Campus? ... No way! "

Matthew thinks to himself as he starts to search for information on both Sarah White and Zoo's around the area.

Odentin
2012-11-03, 11:43 AM
Matthew finds a private Facebook page for Sarah, and a couple zoos in the greater Chicago area, though he doesn't find anything about an escaped bear.

-Sentinel-
2012-11-05, 12:03 AM
As soon as his class was over, Tony bought a 12-inch chicken teriyaki sub at the on-campus Subway restaurant and headed to the RPG Club room. Nodding to Leon and whoever else was there, he turned on his laptop.

"I don't believe in coincidences," he declared through a mouthful of bread and chicken. "A psycho escapes from the asylum and gets brutally murdered shortly after leaving... There has to be a connection. Maybe some kind of revenge killing by a victim's friend or family member? We need to know more."

He searched the local news website for whatever info had been released to the public.

savior indra
2012-11-05, 12:22 AM
Kale walks into the club room in time to hear Tony's remarks. He had finished his class and gone to the nearest Panera and got a Greek salad, Mozzarella and tomato panini, and sweetened black tea.

"Are we even sure whoever or whatever killed Price is an enemy? The son of a b*tch got what he deserved. Until we know the killer is killing innocents shouldn't we focus our efforts on stopping people we know for a fact are hurting innocents? It seems like a better use of time to me." said Kale dispassionately as he sat in a seat and started on his salad, greeting whoever was in the room with a nod.

-Sentinel-
2012-11-05, 07:27 AM
"So we wait for an innocent to die before we lift a finger? Sounds like a plan," said Tony with dripping sarcasm. "No, seriously, I think we need to know what we're dealing with. The killer's nature, method and, most of all, motive. Then we'll decide what to do about it."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-05, 07:40 AM
Leon shifts himself to an upright position as Kale and Tony enter the room. "Whatever it is, it's some kind of animal. Price was shredded, and from what I saw, the wounds looked like claw marks. So we've either got a dangerous animal on the loose, or more likely something supernatural. So, yes, Kale, whatever killed him is an enemy. Look at these."

Leon pulled out his phone and showed the others the pictures he had taken. "See? Multiple deep lacerations, jagged edges, arranged in groups. He was literally torn apart. By what, I'm not entirely sure."

SurlySeraph
2012-11-05, 12:54 PM
Sem sits on a folding chair, without food. She leans across the table to look at the pictures. "Wow... are those through his ribs? Anyway. He got out Saturday night and died Monday night. That's about 48 hours unaccounted for. We know his starting point and endpoint, and there are only so many plausible paths in between. Find out where he went, and we can find out what got him. How long it'd take to walk from the asylum to campus, possible roads if we determine that'd be impossible, and so on."

Tapping a finger on the table, she adds "I can't be sure how he got out, yet. I've got the names of the people who were on duty when he did, so we can check on them. Maybe one of them has a blog and noted if anything weird happened Saturday night. If we find nothing there... perhaps something let him out, and perhaps it was the same thing that killed him."

Misaat
2012-11-05, 09:35 PM
" According to my Investigation... "

Matthew said as soon as he entered the room with a "White Castle" Paper Bag under one arm.

" The police say the killer was a bear... Which is odd because there have been no reports of an escaped animal from any zoo around this area... Also there is one person responcible for calling the police perhaps she saw something... Does anyone here know a girl named Sarah White? "

Odentin
2012-11-05, 11:31 PM
Tony is familiar with Sarah. She's a prelaw like himself, and a perfectionist in the highest degree. She panics if she isn't to class five minutes early to set herself up, can't tolerate anything short of a perfect test score (despite being next to impossible), yet somehow managed to schedule 2 classes in the same time slot. Three times. This year alone.

The others may well know her by reputation. She's haughty and brusque, with an entire redwood where other perfectionists simply hold a stick.

-Sentinel-
2012-11-06, 12:23 AM
"Does anyone here know a girl named Sarah White? "
"Yeah, she's in my class." Tony told everyone what he knew about her.

To Semira, he said: "As for knowing what he did in those 48 hours, it won't be easy, I think. If he's a cop, even an insane one, he probably avoided the classic mistakes like trying to contact his family. But you've got to wonder what he was hoping to do on campus when he got killed..."

Do news sites tell us anything we don't already know about the killing? Alternatively, are the police blatantly withholding facts?

Odentin
2012-11-06, 12:50 AM
Nope. The ME called it a wild-animal attack at the scene, confirmed within an hour at the morgue. Based on the size of the claw and bite marks, it's being called a bear. Open-and-shut case, as they see it.

Of course, what they're going to DO about the wild bear that's apparently on the loose is another question that no one seems to feel like answering, at least not yet.

McGonigle
2012-11-07, 02:24 PM
"There might be a reason he didn't make the classic mistakes, he had assistance escaping from the hospital. Either someone with some skill with security systems or something more unusual.
The two individuals might be one and the same, he could have been 'rescued' with the explicit plan to butcher him in front of the memorial."

savior indra
2012-11-07, 02:29 PM
"If that's the point then this is a "statement killing" the killer is sending a message; which most likely, is that crime will not go unpunished. We may have another vigilante in town. One that is willing to kill regardless of consequences." said Kale as he finished his salad and started on the panini. He smirked just a tiny bit as he voiced this theory.

"Oh the irony... This could be very interesting. I wonder if it another vigilante. The dichotomy between this person and the RPG members would certainly be interesting."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-07, 03:52 PM
"What, one with bear hands? Either somebody spent a very long time making sure the body looked like it had been mauled brutally, or something mauled it brutally. Seriously, look at the pictures. No psychopath with a knife did this. I should know; I happen to be a guy with a knife. This was done with claws; whether they belonged to a bear, some other animal, or something else entirely is up for debate. But this wasn't the work of any blade."

McGonigle
2012-11-07, 07:29 PM
"How often do you see bears strolling though campus? fatalities from bear attacks are seriously rare. What are the odds that within two days of escaping from prison some passing bear mauls Jamie." She commented, looking up from the screen that she was copying down statistics from.

"One possibility is someone illegally captured a bear, they have been used for recreational fights and I could easily believe someone twisted enough to enact such. Canine would be more likely statistically and practically, but that doesn't fit the police statement as well.

So discounting the impossible, either someone released Price for him to get randomly hit by a very lost bear, or someone trained an animal then set it on Price after rescuing him, fairly clever after all the police will be quite happy to wrap both cases up quickly. Of course discounting the impossible seems rather premature given the whole ghosts actually exist thing. 'Once we have discounted the highly unlikely the remaining answer no matter how impossible must be the truth.'" The last line was given with a note of glibness.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-07, 08:50 PM
"Sherlock Holmes, I believe. Cute. Nevertheless, we can rule out any kind of canine or lupine for this one. They don't have slashing and tearing claws, they have digging claws. Their claws just aren't sharp enough, and their paws aren't dextrous enough, to do this. The fact that the police think it was a bear tells me it's not a bobcat or anything similar, and unless I missed my guess this isn't exactly mountain lion territory." Leon rubs his chin thoughtfully. "I don't know. Vampires exist, ghosts exist, Frankenstein's monster exists, so maybe..."

He sits up and turns to face the group, his eyes and face dead serious. "Do you think it could have been a werewolf?"

SurlySeraph
2012-11-08, 12:57 AM
Sem shrugs. " I know nothing about werewolves, but could be. Lots of things have claws."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-08, 07:52 AM
"Whatever it was, it was big enough for the police to call it a bear. Lots of movies and other media have shown werewolves turning into big human-wolf hybrids with big claws. Easily the size of a bear. If it was a bear it's not our problem. If it was something the size of a bear, with claws like a bear, that wasn't a bear or other animal, it is our problem. Anybody know any good litmus tests for that?"

-Sentinel-
2012-11-08, 08:43 AM
"If the killing was meant as a statement, then I'd investigate the Halloween victims' friends and families," said Tony. "That's a start, at least."

He quickly finished his sub and wiped his chin. "As for werewolves, I don't know for sure if they exist, but I know not to be too skeptical now. Back in Mexico, there was local folklore about were-jaguars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Were-jaguar) and shapeshifters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagual); and when similar legends can be found on many continents, there may be a grain of truth to them."

He googled for a lunar calendar of the month.

Odentin
2012-11-10, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the delay, guys! Between the election and getting ready to move I have had much time on my hands...

Leon: Leon actually can't tell anything about the cuts, the patterns, cleanliness. A canine (or several canines) could easily of caused the type of trauma that Price sustained. The police report stated it was a bear attack, but never gave their reasoning.

McGonigle
2012-11-11, 06:46 PM
"He died in view of a monument that was caused by his atrocity, it has to be a statement." She commented with a certainty that was lost with the next statement. "So whether it's a werewolf or simply a man who can control bears, either way the only reason to kill so visibly is to make a statement."

-Sentinel-
2012-11-11, 10:00 PM
"Oh, I've no doubt about that," said Tony. "But do you think it was personal? Or rather the work of some vigilante who's... a bit more hardcore than us?"

I searched for a lunar calendar... What about that?

Odentin
2012-11-11, 10:12 PM
Aha! You are correct!

The moon is waxing at the moment, half moon (first quarter) was last night.

savior indra
2012-11-12, 09:18 AM
"I think it's personal. You don't inflict injuries like that unless your emotional, or you get really into it. There's a reason professional hits are so... clean, they don't let emotions get into their work. We should check into the other survivors and people within one or two degrees of separation from them." reasoned Kale.

SurlySeraph
2012-11-12, 10:05 AM
"That makes sense, yeah. I can check if any of the asylum staff on duty were family members, for example."

Odentin
2012-11-13, 01:51 PM
So the vigilantes have their suspicions about what has occurred. What do they do NOW?

savior indra
2012-11-13, 02:00 PM
"Well I'm going to go stake out the memorial tonight. Anyone want to come?" said Kale as he rose to prepare.

Misaat
2012-11-13, 02:36 PM
" Shouldn't we first see what this girl might have seen? Maybe she was even there when the attack took place..."

Matthew comments as he opens up his laptop

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-13, 03:40 PM
"I vote we split up. We need three teams for this one. One to go with Kale to the monument, one to go speak with this Sarah White girl, and the last one to head for the library to do some research. I want to know distributions for large predators in this area, reports of predator and cryptid sightings within, say, 15 miles of here, and vulnerabilities and repellants for... everything, frankly. If it keeps bears, lions, tigers, even sharks away, I want to know about it. Same thing if it might repel werewolves or mothman or whatever. Even better if it'll kill them." Leon pushes his glasses up his nose, then stands and stretches. "I'd be happy to head up the first group, preferably with Matt to help with the research. Whoever goes with Kale should know how to fight, just in case. Semira, Jaime, you two are probably best suited to go and talk to Miss White about what she saw. That leaves Tony to presumably go with Kale, unless anyone has any objections to this arrangement. Tony, how are you in a scrap?"

-Sentinel-
2012-11-13, 10:44 PM
Tony was a bit taken aback when Leon's so-called 'vote' turned into something more like orders from a police commissioner. "...Um, I'm pretty good in a fight. But I still think we should investigate the families of the Halloween Massacre victims, in case it was a revenge killing. That's a lot of people, but there must be at least one or two of them who stand out in some way."

He was also more than a little skeptical about the need for anyone to freeze their balls around the memorial all night. He could think of no rational reason for the killer to go back there.

SurlySeraph
2012-11-14, 12:29 AM
Sem nods and starts to pack her books up. "Don't forget Tony, if it's anything like an actual animal, that means it lives in those woods. And if it does, there's good odds it'll be hungry again tonight, and probably looking around somewhere that went well for it last time. Watch each other's backs."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-14, 07:41 AM
"The only problem with interviewing the victims' families is that most of them, outside of significant others who went to this school, are probably from other regions of the country, meaning they likely aren't connected to this."

-Sentinel-
2012-11-14, 10:02 AM
"And if it does, there's good odds it'll be hungry again tonight, and probably looking around somewhere that went well for it last time."
"You're implying Price was picked just because he was at the wrong place, at the wrong time... I'm not buying it. Someone or something intelligent is behind this," said Tony confidently.

He turned to Leon. "Good point, but it's not actually a problem, since it narrows it down. If I'm not mistaken, Ellen's done research about the Halloween Massacre to make a documentary film... She must have made quite a few interviews, and perhaps published a couple in the school newspaper."

I mentioned Ellen's film here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13693569&postcount=33) and in her character description. I hope my memory for details I created myself won't give you trouble in your Storytelling duties, Odentin... I'll try not to use that knowledge in situations where it would give me an advantage.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-14, 11:28 AM
"I wasn't aware of that. Then again, I didn't pay much attention to the media surrounding the massacre; it's all too depressing, and I get that enough in this line of work. Anyway, the names of those interviewed, more specifically the names of those in the area, we'll say the same 15-mile radius, would be useful to have." Leon rubs his thoughtfully for a moment, before returning his full attention to the group.

"So, it looks like we have 4 objectives now. We need large predator distributions and cryptid sightings in this area, as well as repellants and vulnerabilities for whatever we find. We need to speak to Sarah White, and we need those names from Ellen. Finally, Kale wants to do a stake-out on the monument, which makes sense to me. If it is a predator, it may return, and if it was some psycho, he or she may return to the scene of the crime. As such, I think he should have back-up. I stand by my previous suggestions for teams. Anyone else have any suggestions?"

McGonigle
2012-11-14, 07:17 PM
"If I'm going with Semira, it probably makes sense for the two of us to have a look at Ellen's results. Me having a look at the newspaper's archives is hardly suspicious, seriously I was looking though Ellen's notes when I was researching the Halloween massacre, and I'll probably need Semira's insight. I wasn't looking for it at the time but I helped transcribe some of the interviews, and I didn't see anything that shouted out brutal psychopath."

"Although we need to bear in mind when these were filmed the killer was dead, as far as anyone knew. There's another newspaper related lead, it might be unrelated but Ellen asked me to look up some noise complaints before this happened. Not sure there's even any story there, let alone connected to this one but still might be a lead."

savior indra
2012-11-14, 07:28 PM
"What do you fight with Tony? We need battle plan if it comes down to it." said Kale looking towards the newest vigilante.

Misaat
2012-11-15, 08:51 PM
" I... kinda wanted to go check out this White girl.... Ok i'll go do research with you if you feel like i can be of help. Do they let you enter the Library with food?"

Mathew clutches the White Castle bag tightly

-Sentinel-
2012-11-15, 10:26 PM
"Got a collapsible baton," Tony answered Kale. "I'm fairly decent with it."

He had gotten in a few scrapes with street gangs in the past, and had won most of the time... but whatever had killed Price was quite a bit worse than a street gang. For one thing, it did not pull punches to avoid a manslaughter charge, and it probably did not run with its tail between its legs if you proved tougher than it thought.

" I... kinda wanted to go check out this White girl...."
Capital Letters Are Important Here. :smalltongue:

"Do they let you enter the Library with food?"
Unlikely. (Just my two cents as ex-Storyteller. :smallwink:)

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-15, 10:58 PM
Leon shrugs. "That's up to you. My suggested assignments were based on what everyone seems to excel at, but if somebody wants to do something else, that's their decision. The only non-negotiable part is that Kale isn't sitting outside alone. I don't want to lose one of us when it could otherwise be avoided."

savior indra
2012-11-16, 08:53 AM
"I'm going to bring my knives then, in case we need to actually cause lethal damage. Best to be prepared just in case." said Kale. "Matt, i'll have a headset and hook it up to you so we can keep communications up in case things go south."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-11-29, 11:07 PM
"This sounds like a plan, then." Leon grabs his bag and heads for the door. "I'm gonna head for the library and get started on that research."

Odentin
2012-11-30, 11:18 PM
Let me know if there is anything else you guys want to do in the interim.

Leon and Matthew:
Your research doesn't turn much up. Some of the nature preserves around the city report large predators within their bounds. Most bears would seem to have begun hibernation by this time of year, though. Wolf packs are still active, though, as are cougars.
No cryptid sightings have been widely reported, though a look into the local tabloids returns more "sightings" than can be sifted through.
Bear spray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spray) is a possible deterrent against large predators, though a little more research reveals that wolves are unaffected by it. Ultrasonic devices are reported to keep canines at bay. The reported defenses against supernatural creatures are myriad, though. ((I'll need to know exactly what you're hoping to repel, and a Int+Academics or Int+Occult roll)).

Jaime and Semira:
Finding Sarah White requires some asking about, though they are able to catch her leaving her mathematics class...

Kale and Tony:
Kale and Tony sit around twiddling their thumbs until nightfall, unless otherwise stated. :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2012-12-01, 07:51 PM
Sem approaches her. "Hey Sarah, do you have a minute to talk? I think you can guess what about."

Odentin
2012-12-01, 08:09 PM
Semira:
Sarah looks up and stops as she is addressed, an annoyed look on her face, as if put off by being interrupted, "And you are?"

SurlySeraph
2012-12-02, 02:40 PM
"Semira Gebre. I'm one of the people Jamie Price almost shot last month, and I volunteer at the asylum. I was hoping you could tell me about how you found him - it'd help us figure out how he got out and make sure it doesn't happen again. And, ah, that whatever happened to him doesn't happen again."

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-12-02, 04:35 PM
Leon thumbs through another book before slamming it shut in frustration. "This is turning up less useful information than I expected, and that's impressive. Everything about repelling predators either requires a permit to carry or isn't readily available. Oh well. Maybe the next book'll have something." He's suggested that the next book may have something 5 times.

Rolling Int + Academics and spending Willpower. Looking for information on known or suspected weaknesses for predatory monsters, werewolves and other shapeshifters in particular [roll0]

In case of tens: [roll1]

McGonigle
2012-12-02, 04:43 PM
"Jaime Aaron, with the Boar, since both of us wanted to ask you questions we thought we would save your precious time. If you don't want your name in print this is mainly fact checking, but the more people know the safer they will be."

Odentin
2012-12-02, 05:08 PM
Leon and Matthew:

"...Everything about repelling predators either requires a permit to carry or isn't readily available..."

Actually, bear mace is pretty readily available from any outdoor supply store, and doesn't require a permit (at least as far as I've seen). The ultrasonics are a bit harder to get, but are legal for civilian use.

Leon finds several references to wolfsbane and silver when searching through books about werewolves and shapeshifters. There are also several references to the full moon, which is coming up a week from tonight. Aside from that, no real weaknesses are mentioned. In fact, the list of immunities is far longer.

Semira and Jaime:
Sarah looks at her watch and sighs with annoyance, "Look, I already talked to that other girl from the paper, Ellen? Alright? I saw the guy on my way to my first class, I called the cops, and that's it. Is there anything else?"

SurlySeraph
2012-12-02, 09:42 PM
Semira nods. "Time you found him. If he was still wearing his hospital gown, or had found normal clothes. If he had shoes, for that matter. If you saw or heard anything else weird on the way in. If later would be a better time to talk about this."

She maintains a clipped and highly professional tone, as if she's entitled to answers. Workaholics tend to take better to that than to asking for personal favors.

Odentin
2012-12-02, 09:59 PM
Semira:
"Look, I've got to get to class. I found him exactly the way he was when the police and everyone else got there. It was just before seven, ok? Go talk to Ellen if you want anything else."

Having finished, she brushes past the girls and heads off at a swift pace. The pictures Leon had taken show that Price was wearing street clothes when he died, and utility boots.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-12-02, 11:05 PM
Really? Huh. I would have figured that bear spray, being stronger than pepper spray, which does require a permit here in Massachusetts, would also, though Wikipedia says otherwise. Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect Leon to know that, so his statement, incorrect as it may be, stands.
Rubbing his eyes, Leon shuts that book and gets up to go find one that might tell him where to find wolfsbane. "Hey Matt, you think you'd be able to silver-plate some knives and make some silver-loaded bullets if I walked you through the plating process? We couldn't make pure silver bullets; the metal's too soft to fire cleanly, and the gun would jam, but silver-tipped hollow-point bullets would work nicely. If this is a were-thing that got Jaime, I'd like to be prepared." I'm guessing another Int+Academics roll to find where the wolfsbane grows: [roll0]

Misaat
2012-12-03, 11:47 AM
Matthew takes a bite from his Slider as he answers.

" It should be easy in theory i should have no problem making it but where are we gonna get the silverwear to melt? "

Odentin
2012-12-07, 06:00 PM
Leon and Matthew:
Wolfsbane, or Anconitum, grows in northern mountain regions.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-12-07, 07:05 PM
"Well, we're not getting any wolfsbane. We're smack dab in the middle of corn-country, the landscape's dead-flat for as far as the eye can see, and wolfsbane only grows in mountain regions. I'm thinking we should pick up some bear spray tomorrow, but I'm getting tired of this." He closes the book he was reading and rubs his eyes.

"Maybe the others are having better luck with what they're doing." He pulls out his phone and fires off a quick text to the rest of the group: "We're not having much luck on our end. How are your investigations going?"

SurlySeraph
2012-12-08, 01:42 PM
Semira replies Sarah White's useless. Going to see if I can find a way to get in contact with one of the asylum employees who was on duty when Price escaped. And I'll check if any of them have a blog or anything first.
Anything I should roll for it?

Odentin
2012-12-08, 01:44 PM
Uh, Int+Academics, I guess.

Odentin
2012-12-09, 02:34 PM
Semira:
Semira finds about seven Jake Cross's in the greater Chicago area, none of whom list the hospital as their place of employment. Only one Angelina Morales show up, and her Facebook profile is private. Alex Cooper is easy enough to find, with an open Facebook profile listing his employment (and a bunch of idiotic intentionally misspelled posts next to endless club/party pictures). Cooper Murray doesn't seem to have grasped the Information Age, at all.

McGonigle
2012-12-10, 06:40 AM
With the conversation with the first witness having amounted to pretty much nothing. Jaime decided to follow that she was actually going to follow Ellen's earlier suggestion in terms of investigating Maxwell's noise complaints, she doubted that the piece would make it to the next edition of the newspaper any more, but completely ignoring the editor wasn't wise. Also there was a chance some of the noise complaints might turn up something relevant.

Wits +Investigation [roll0]
10's [roll1]

Odentin
2012-12-10, 02:30 PM
Jaime:
Jaime's investigation turns up a strange phenomenon. Every week, on Sunday or Monday night, the local PD receives a string of noise complaints, always from people being kept awake by their neighbors' dogs howling at obscene hours of the night. The first reports seems to systematically start right around the college and radiate outward, reaching the edges of the local suburban areas. Last night the latest wave of reports came in, stretching from 10pm until 1am.

McGonigle
2012-12-11, 07:04 PM
Jaime continues to ask a few more questions trying to work out how far the radius of the noise complaints were and by asking about nearby streets find out whether there were noise complaints around the hospital last night, and if so what time they came in.

Odentin
2012-12-11, 07:51 PM
Jaime:
Obviously, in the more commercial areas around the college, such as the area around Adam's st, there are almost no noise complaints. In the housing areas, though, especially where the housing is more suburban (like where Leon and Adam moved) there are exponentially more. The howling seems to run out when the residences run out.
The night Price escaped there were no complaints at all. Last night was the first night since that had the howling.

Misaat
2012-12-14, 05:11 PM
Matthew finishes his burger and pulls out his laptop.

" Wait! Maybe they grow them in some greenhouse around here... "

He says as he starts searching on ebay.

Odentin
2012-12-15, 02:35 AM
Matthew:
Ebay doesn't seem to have any, though he does find a few sellers online, including Amazon.

Misaat
2012-12-17, 03:45 PM
" Cool Hey check this out! "

Matthew makes a small fist pump motion as he turns his laptop for Leon to see.

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-12-17, 03:56 PM
Leon studies the screen. "Huh. Guess I was wrong. See how much it costs and how quickly they can have it here. Even this has nothing to do with werewolves, I'd like to have something to throw at them anyway."

Misaat
2012-12-19, 07:51 PM
" Right-oh! chief... Though maybe it'll be better to ask Kale for his credit card... We should also order some things made of silver... "

SurlySeraph
2012-12-19, 08:31 PM
Assuming Alex Cooper wouldn't be on his shift now, Sem tries to find his address, hop a bus, and go pay him a visit.

savior indra
2012-12-21, 02:40 PM
Kale rolled out of his bed yawning as he woke from the long nap he had taken after staking out the memorial. He checked his cell phone for any updates from the rest of the group. Resolving to meet the group after a shower he grabbed a towel from his closet and headed towards the shower.

Odentin
2012-12-23, 04:10 AM
Leon & Matt: Silver, in many different forms, is easily obtainable (for a price) from a variety of different online vendors.

Semira: While his address proves difficult to locate, Semira is quickly able to obtain Alex's phone number. The man leaves it on his public facebook profile.

SurlySeraph
2012-12-23, 06:43 PM
Sem cold-calls Alex. "Hi, is this Alex Cooper. Um, hi! My name's Semira Gebre, I volunteer at the asylum. I was wondering if you had a few minutes to talk?"

Odentin
2012-12-23, 06:50 PM
That's going to require a subterfuge roll. Manip makes the most sense, but a case could be made for presence...
Semira:
Alex answers the phone after a couple rings. He sounds muffled, sleepy, as if Semira has woken him up. Given the shift he works, that could well be the case, "Volunteer? I don't remember them ever having any volunteers..."

Odentin
2013-02-02, 01:59 PM
Later that afternoon.
RPG Club room.

Later on, the club members find themselves back in the club room. Semira has left a detailed note with the information she received from the Security guard. It also states that there has been a family emergency, and that she is going out of town for a few days.

Alex Cross was doing his rounds when he noticed that the door to Price's cell was open. He called in a lockdown, and the hospital was searched thoroughly, but no sign of Price was found. It appears he bypassed the security checkpoint into the ward by crawling through a ventilation shaft.

((If there's any more questions, lemme know and I'll answer them in retrospect.))

Leon and Matt have procured some large predator deterrents, with rush shipping, using either their own resources or Kale's. The shipments should arrive tomorrow morning. No one has heard from Jaime since she left with Semira.

ToySoldierCPlus
2013-02-02, 02:46 PM
"So, that's one out, one MIA. Here's hoping it's unrelated to whatever got Price. Speaking of which..." Leon shifts into a more comfortable position, reclining like he usually does. "There's good news and bad news. The good news is that we found some decent deterrents for large predators, which we'll have soon. They should be effective on anything that could be in the area, and several things that physically can't be, not that that's stopped things from showing up before. Bad news is we still have no idea what killed Price. Matt and I found reports of all manner of cryptid sightings in the tabloids, ranging from mothman to aliens to werewolves to the Jersey Devil and, my personal favorite, a wereshark, if you can believe it." He closes his eyes as he continues to rest.

"Any suggestions for our next move?"

-Sentinel-
2013-02-05, 01:24 PM
Tony scratched his jaw thoughtfully. "I was hoping we'd have news from Semira and Jaime by now, honestly. We don't have much to work with. Too many strange sightings are just as bad as none at all."

Odentin, you should consider autopiloting the missing characters, as I had to do in my first Campus Vigilantes game. We really need every bit of info we can get.

Have you PM'd SurlySeraph and McGonigle?