PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Faltering One



Rizban
2012-10-25, 12:48 AM
This is a private thread for TriumphantHero and GM(s) ONLY! Please do not read it.

You enter the shop to find it stocked primarily with spices and fragrant woods, oils and extracts, and a number of curiously carved statuettes. A man at the counter looks up at you over his reading glasses as you enter but says nothing. An open book lies on the counter in front of him.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-25, 12:52 AM
Makhain asks in moderately-accented common, "You wouldn't happen to know where someone named Cassatta is, would you?"

Rizban
2012-10-25, 12:59 AM
"Yes, I would."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-25, 01:16 AM
"Oh, that's great, could you- Are you Cassatta?"

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:36 AM
"Do I look like a female dwarf to you?"

TriumphantHero
2012-10-25, 01:40 AM
"Suppose not. Could you tell me where she is, then?"

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:48 AM
"Yes, I could."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-25, 10:59 AM
"Please tell me where I can find Cassatta."

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:19 PM
"Why do you want to find her?"

TriumphantHero
2012-10-25, 04:23 PM
"She's looking for folks to find her stolen property, figured I'd give a hand."

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:44 PM
"Why did you not just say so from the beginning? When you meet her, do try to be direct. She's a busy woman.

This is just the storefront for Sunderham's. Our main office is in the Docks, next to Pier 2."

He goes back to reading his book.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-26, 05:18 PM
"Oh, thanks. I'll head on there, then." With that, Makhain turns and leaves, heading for the docks.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 05:32 PM
You reach a large gatehouse in the city's outer wall, known as Rivergate. It stands open. On the other side, you can see the great river rushing by with a stone causeway built into it just inches above water level, the river flowing through channels under and through the stone. The Fortress is built on a large island in the middle of the causeway.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond this gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. A shudder sneaks its way down your back.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-26, 05:40 PM
Makhain ignores the shudder(what's with that anyway, must be the wind), and continues over to the docks to find Sunderham's, and this Cassatta woman.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 06:03 PM
As you cross King's Causeway, you reach the large gatehouse on the far end of the bridge. No fewer than twenty heavily armed guards stand at the gate. One of the guards stops you.

"Hold on a moment. What's your business in the Docks?"

TriumphantHero
2012-10-26, 06:05 PM
"I heard some woman named Cassatta was looking for people to recover some stolen property. Going to see if I can help."

Rizban
2012-10-29, 12:52 AM
I would swear I'd replied to this already..."Sir, if she's in the Docks, she has more to worry about than lost items. It's not safe for any human. You're at less risk, being non-human, but it still isn't safe. I can't stop you, but I urge you strongly to turn back."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-29, 01:55 AM
"What does my not being human have to do with it? Is there some creature that eats only tall folk trapped within?"

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:49 AM
"Humans just tend to die faster. Can't say for sure why, but the shadows seem to like humans best. Once the shadows take you, you're never seen again. Oh, we'll find a piece here and a piece there, but that's about it."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-29, 02:01 PM
"Shadows killing people? Thank you for informing me. I don't think my abilities are sufficient to combat such things." Makhain leaves the guard post, and asks around Old Town about any people that could make use of his skills(namely, killing things with swords.)

[roll0] Gather Information

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:35 PM
He just shrugs.

"Well, as long as it's day, you'll be safe enough if you stick the to main street and walk in the sun. Still, it's probably for the best that you're turning around."

Most people seem to be offended that you ask them about an opportunity to kill things.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-29, 03:48 PM
Makhain thinks "Wow, this place sure is different from home. Probably ought to look into getting a place to sleep before anything else." With that in mind, he starts back off to Midtown, eyes open for an inn.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 04:44 PM
He's already found the Sad Flint in the Plaza, and there aren't any between there and Rivergate, at least along the main road.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-29, 05:49 PM
The Sad Flint it is, then.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 09:07 PM
The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-29, 09:29 PM
Makhain walks up to the bartender. "Excuse me, sir, but do you have any rooms available? I believe I will be in town for quite a while."

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:41 AM
He looks you up and down.

"Five gold a night."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 02:05 AM
"Very well." Makhain fishes out the necessary amount of coins from his purse and sets them down on the counter. "I would like to pay for a week in advance."

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:36 AM
"That would be thirty five gold. You've only provided thirty four."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 02:54 AM
Makhain takes out another piece of gold and sets it down. "Also, I was wondering, do you know of anyone who might have need of a swordsman?"

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:57 AM
"Sorry, I'm not a matchmaker. You'll have to find a date elsewhere."

He picks up the coins and sets down a large, flat crystal disk.

"Put your hand on this."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 12:00 PM
Makhain puts his hand on the disk, more than a little curious as to the purpose of doing so.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 12:40 PM
The disk glows briefly, and the bartender places it back beneath the counter.

"Alright, your room is on the second floor, number 218. Stairs are over there."

He points to the stairs with his thumb then turns away from you to pour a drink for someone else.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 01:45 PM
Makhain goes up to inspect his room. What time of day is it currently? If night or close to it, he'll sleep. If not, he'll continue his hunt for people who can put a swordsman to use.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:47 PM
You find that the door to your room has neither lock nor handle. Instead, there is only a crystal set into the door...

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 03:33 PM
Makhain puts his hand on the crystal.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 06:33 PM
The door unlocks.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 06:46 PM
Makhain goes in the door, and proceeds with his inspection of the room.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 07:36 PM
It opens onto a 10 x 15 room. There is a bed, a chest of drawers, and a large wooden chest that doubles as a nightstand. There's a rug on the floor and a single small window that lets in light.

http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AVB/SadFlint/SingleBedroom.png

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 07:44 PM
Satisfied that he has a secure place to sleep, Makhain sets back out to look for work, closing the door behind him(assuming it isn't night), starting with the closest shop that isn't Sunderham's.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 11:24 PM
Here you stand in the heart of the city, watching people come and go, functioning as the very lifeblood of the city. The most prominent building in the area is a three-story inn named The Sad Flint. It is known as the place to be for relaxing adventurers and those seeking a good story, a good drink, or a good night's rest. Across the Plaza from The Sad Flint is Ezekiel's Supplies, one of two major suppliers of adventuring and exploration gear in the city. Numerous other shops line the sides of The Plaza, including a music shop named The Howling Song, Jim Juewliers's Gem Jewelry, Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos, Sunderham's Imports, and numerous other shops and merchant carts.

You may also select one of the other buildings that hasn't yet been publicly defined.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 11:44 PM
I'll go with one of the ones that hasn't been publicly defined.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 03:01 AM
You enter the shop immediately between Sunderham's and the Sad Flint.

Inside, you find that the shop is just one large room stuffed full of luxury furniture made of all types of exotic wood. Chairs, couches, tables, armoires, and even a few bed frames are interspersed with wooden statuettes, picture frames, and a few things you can't immediately identify. The scent of wood and varnish fills your nose.

The only person you see is an elf sitting in a high-backed chair upholstered in fine leather near the door, his feet propped up on a luxuriant ottoman. He appears to have dozed off.

TriumphantHero
2012-10-31, 10:39 AM
"Excuse me, sir. I am a travelling swordsman new to the city, here to offer my services in whatever capacity you require them."

Rizban
2012-10-31, 10:14 PM
Snorting as he comes awake.

"Huh? Wha? Swords? No, don't carry weapons here."

TriumphantHero
2012-10-31, 10:24 PM
"Not looking to buy. I'm a swordsman looking for work, so if you need a guard or anything, I can help."

Rizban
2012-11-01, 12:35 AM
"Nope, can't say that I do. I've got pretty good security as it is. Thanks for the offer though."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-01, 12:58 AM
"Very well, I'll inquire elsewhere." With that, Makhain heads to the shop past Sunderham's.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:38 AM
The sign outside says "Ranuna's Superior Toppers". You can't imagine what's inside.

Inside, you find dozens of hats of all shapes, sizes, colors, and designs ranging from simple to elegant to outlandish to "How the hell does that sit on one's head?!" A woman is currently brushing a large purple suede fedora and trying to fluff up the blue feather sticking out of it. She smiles at you as you enter.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-03, 01:22 PM
"Hello, miss. I am a swordsman, new to this city, and I was wondering if you might have need of my services."

Rizban
2012-11-03, 02:01 PM
"A handsome, strapping fellow like you? Why yes! You're just the kind of person I need!"

She rushes at you and wraps a fabric tape measure around your head.

"Perfect!"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-03, 02:19 PM
"What will I be doing, then?"

Rizban
2012-11-03, 04:29 PM
She slaps a fancy hat on your head and grabs four more, handing them to you. "I need a guy to stand out front and draw attention. Hats aren't selling well this time of year. A new face would be great! Unfortunately, you're a bit short, so we might have to stack a few up on top to make you more visible. Pays good though, and I'll give you a bit of commission."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-03, 05:09 PM
"Very well. I will draw attention for your store."

Rizban
2012-11-03, 06:35 PM
"Great! Just stand out front and dance or put on a show. Talk to people and, most importantly, smile!"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-03, 07:01 PM
Would I be correct in thinking that this should go in the city streets thread?

Rizban
2012-11-03, 11:11 PM
It's your choice. If you want the chance of other players responding to you, you may post in the CS thread. Otherwise, it's fine to post it here.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-12, 04:09 PM
Makhain heads back into the shop after his day of performing. "How did I do?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:34 PM
Picking up the hat you dropped earlier, you find [roll0] gold pieces have been placed into it.

"You did good kid. I made a couple sales I might not have. I'll give you a cut today. If you want to come back tomorrow, I'll be glad to give you a cut of any sales."

She gives you [roll1] gold.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-13, 12:45 PM
Makhain heads back to his room at the Sad Flint and rests, intending to look for a more...swordy job in the morning.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 11:24 PM
Is this waiting on you or on me? I don't remember if you ever left the City Streets or not...

TriumphantHero
2012-11-20, 12:00 PM
Think I left the City Streets, was waiting for a reply, as I didn't want to double post or assume anything.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 04:22 PM
Strange, your last post before I made the bump wasn't showing up for me...He sleeps peacefully, without interruption, awakening fully rested in the morning.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-20, 11:32 PM
Makhain eats his rather tasteless rations, then heads down, perhaps mingling with the people in the tavern might be a better way of finding someone who can actually put him to use. At any rate, it can't hurt being noticed, right?

Rizban
2012-11-21, 12:34 AM
The Sad Flint seems entirely unchanged from the last time you were here.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-21, 01:26 AM
The same people and everything? That's uncanny.

Rizban
2012-11-21, 04:20 AM
Some of the people are the same, but the crowd itself seems unchanged, even if a few of the individual members have. The same bartender serves drinks at the bar and handles the business of the Flint.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-21, 12:04 PM
Makhain approaches one of the rougher-looking members of the crowd, and asks, "Know where a guy can get a decent job around here?"

Rizban
2012-11-21, 06:01 PM
"A little pipsqueak freak like you? You try the circus?"

The other men at the table roar with laughter.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-21, 06:23 PM
"What, are you getting lonely working there? I'm looking for real work, not poncing about alongside a bearded lady."

Rizban
2012-11-21, 09:14 PM
They laugh even harder, though the first guy looks a bit angry and does not join in.

"You got a big mouth for such a runt!"

He suddenly slaps you on the back hard enough to make you stagger and grins.

"Come, join us. Always nice to have a new face.

Wench! A beer for my friend here!"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-21, 09:34 PM
"Glad to. " Makhain takes a seat and waits for his drink to show up. "Haven't had a decent drink since I got to this city."

Rizban
2012-11-23, 11:49 AM
Another speaks up, "So, what's your name, wee one?"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-23, 12:01 PM
"Name's Makhain. Yours?"

Rizban
2012-11-23, 01:08 PM
"I'm Volprecht. This is Egbert and Gregor."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-23, 08:52 PM
"Nice to meet you all."

Rizban
2012-11-24, 03:11 PM
"What's your story?"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-24, 05:10 PM
"Grew up in the jungle, west of here. Learned a few tricks here and there, got in more than a few fights, heard about what was going on here and figured I'd come and see if anyone in town could use my sword. So far, no luck."

Rizban
2012-11-25, 01:05 AM
Gregor speaks up.

"A tiny widdle sword like tha'? Oi! I got me sumthin' stuck here in me teeth what you could use it for."

The three begin laughing again.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-25, 01:14 AM
"Cuts plenty deep in my experience. I once cut down a tiger in a single swing."

Rizban
2012-11-25, 01:30 AM
Egbert this time. "Ha! A tiger he says!"

They seem to laugh even harder at this. After finally getting better hold of themselves, Egbert takes a long drag on his ale before saying, "Well, if you can kill big cats, what about big rats? We're headed down stairs tomorrow to take out a big ol' rats' nest what got itself established. We could use an extra sword."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-25, 01:51 AM
"Love to. Looking forward to fighting alongside you."

Rizban
2012-11-25, 01:59 AM
Volprecht slaps you on the back again and laughs.

"Right! Meet us out front first thing after sunrise on the morrow."

The three continue drinking, laughing, and trying to outdo each other with outlandish stories of their bravery and daring do on past exploits. Several hours later, they drag themselves upstairs to their rooms.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-25, 02:27 AM
Makhain tells a few tales of his own, and imbibes a fair amount before also heading to his room and resting.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 05:15 AM
You sleep peacefully and undisturbed. A slight hangover greets you in the morning, but it fades quickly as you prepare and head out. You briefly consider whether or not to grab something for breakfast.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-25, 01:23 PM
Makhain toys with the thought for a bit, but decides his rations, while tasteless, are good enough for now. He heads out to meet Volprecht and his crew after he finishes.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 09:50 PM
The three men are standing around already waiting for you.

Egbert: "Wasn't sure if you were going to show, Squirt. Ready to get moving? This is going to be brutal."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-25, 10:29 PM
"Ready." Makhain idly taps his sword. "Let's show these rats what for."

Rizban
2012-11-25, 11:57 PM
They lead you north through Old Town, turning to the right and eventually ending up in Guildsman. They travel along the inside of the city wall until they come to a particular sewer grate which has a large rock placed on top of it and a warning sign saying simply "Danger".

They remove the rock, light torches, and drop down into the sewer.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-26, 12:22 AM
Makhain follows, curious as to just how big these rats are.

Rizban
2012-11-26, 01:01 AM
The sewers here are massive, tunnels nearly 8 feet by 8 feet. Two to three inches of filth sloshes slowly forward along the center of the tunnel, though it gets shallower near the walls and has about a foot of dry space on each end.

The three men with you simply trudge through the murky water, their knee high boots protecting their feet from getting wet.

You travel about three blocks before Egbert motions the party to stop. He squats down and pulls a large hunk of meat that looks disturbingly like the leg of a small humanoid from his pack and holds it out. A small, viciously armed kobold steps out of the shadows, takes the meat, and holds a whispered conversation with Egbert before disappearing back into the shadows.


Egbert stands, turns to the group, and says, "Right then, they've given us permission to pass and say they'll pay for each rat tail we bring back to them."

Volprecht and Gregor nod agreement and draw their weapons.

It seems that your employers are kobolds...

TriumphantHero
2012-11-26, 01:11 AM
Well, not like they're having me run around killing innocents or anything, if kobolds want the rats gone, it doesn't really hurt anyone, except maybe rats. Makhain keeps an eye out and prepares for a fight.

Rizban
2012-11-26, 03:09 AM
Egbert stops the party a little ways later, motions for silence, then creeps forward. He points down the hall, raises 3 fingers, indicating that there are three of the rats up ahead.

He then starts with five fingers and counts down to zero, at which point the three of them silently run headlong around the corner to attack rats.

You get a surprise round action (probably to move around the corner) then roll for initiative.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-26, 11:08 AM
How big are the rats? If they're medium or larger I get extra bonuses.

[roll0] Initiative

Rizban
2012-11-26, 02:15 PM
You see three ginormous rats... or rather, they're vaguely humanoid rat things about the same size as you, maybe a little taller.

In your haste, you manage to react first.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-26, 03:26 PM
Makhain rushes one, lashing out with both his claws.
[roll0], [roll1] attack rolls,
[roll2], [roll3] Edit: Damage rolls if the attack rolls hit, 2nd should be +2, not +4

Rizban
2012-11-26, 10:23 PM
In the future, can you put attack and damage rolls together and each set on a different line? E.g.

Attack1 [roll] Damage1 [roll]
Attack2 [roll] Damage2 [roll]Your first claw hits, but your second misses.

The rat creatures are far more quick than you would expect. They each attack you before your allies can get there.

Both manage to bite through your armor, dealing [roll0] and [roll1] damage.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-26, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I can do that. Side note, by both do you mean that 1 is dead, or did the third attack and miss?

Makhain keeps on moving through the pain of the bites, making a mental note to make sure he doesn't get any diseases from this after the job's finished.

Rizban
2012-11-27, 10:58 AM
sorry, was kind of distracted when I posted that and posting from my phone (like I am now). Two of the three attacked. The third rolled lower on initiative and hsnt gone yet.Your allies run up and make short work of the three just as they bite into you.

"Careful now. These things are vicious and only get stronger the deeper we go into the nest."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-27, 01:21 PM
"Don't worry on my account. It takes more than a few rats to put me down. Are we good to move on?"

Rizban
2012-11-27, 01:31 PM
The three men, completely uninjured, are ready to move ahead.

"Hey, Squirt, I never asked. You any good at scouting?"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-27, 03:12 PM
"Not particularly. I'm a bit hard to see, but that's the extent of it."

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:05 AM
"Well, then what good are ya? I thought all you stunties were sneaky and scouty and the like."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-28, 02:57 AM
"I kill things. Sneaking about is unnecessary for that."

Rizban
2012-11-28, 04:13 AM
Volprecht sighs.

"Fine. I'll do the scouting."

He does his best to sneak ahead of the group and find another group of rats to fight.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-28, 03:09 PM
Makhain follows along, trying to move quietly enough that he doesn't alert the whole place to his presence.

[roll0] Move Silently

Rizban
2012-11-28, 11:40 PM
Despite his best efforts, he can't seem to keep the water from making loud sloshing noises as he walks.

About three minutes later you hear Volprecht curse and come running back down the tunnel towards you.

"It's a BIG one. Run!"

"How big?"

"Big enough!"

Egbert stops him.

"Now hold on a minute. If it's just one of them usual big ones, I think the four of us can take it."

"No way, this thing is vicious, and there's a whole nest of the small ones, like 20 of them, and they're coming this way, and we've got to GO!"

TriumphantHero
2012-11-29, 01:41 AM
"Big is my specialty. We can take them so long as we stand our ground and don't let them through to flank us." Makhain has a feral gleam in his eyes, excitement for the coming fight.

Rizban
2012-11-29, 05:12 AM
Gregor says, "I agree with Squirt. We can stand shoulder to shoulder and block the whole tunnel. We stink Squirt in the middle and Vole in the back behind him with a long arm. Egbert, you and me flank the little guy, and we should be able to hold out... if they don't come around and flank us."

Gregor pulls a ranseur out of his apparently magic backpack and hands it to Volprecht.

"That good with you, Eg?"

"Sounds like a good plan. Let's do it. I'll take left side."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-29, 02:38 PM
Makhain draws his sword and readies himself for the tidal wave of nasty that's headed his way.

Rizban
2012-11-29, 10:57 PM
The four of you take up stances.

You hear a roar and smell the creature before it appears. Filth and sweat fill your nostrils such that the air of the sewer before smelled fresh in comparison. A rat creature the size of the humans in your group come charging around the corner, its slaver lathered into a near rabid foam as is pants heavily, hungry for blood.

A half dozen of the smaller ratlings come running behind it, obviously trying to stay out of its way.

Roll initiative.
If you would prefer, I can just roll your initiative for you in the future to save time and number of posts...

TriumphantHero
2012-11-29, 11:06 PM
That would probably be a better idea. Let's do that.

[roll0] Initiative

Rizban
2012-11-30, 07:11 AM
Initiative
All rats
Egbert
You
Volprecht
GregorThe large rat lifts a massive club and charges at you, swinging at Gregor with all his might. He score a lucky hit and deals [roll0] damage.

The sound of scrunching flesh and cracking bones makes you start to wonder if standing to fight was such a good idea.


The other rats hang back for now, wary of what will happen.


Egbert jabs his own weapon into the beast, but it fails to penetrate the leathery hide.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-30, 11:09 AM
Makhain gets angry before leaping into the air and slashing at the oversized rodent.

Raging and using Soaring Raptor Strike
[roll0] Jump Check, DC is the rat's AC
[roll1] Attack Roll if Jump Succeeds, [roll2] Damage

TriumphantHero
2012-11-30, 11:10 AM
Sorry about the double post, rolling to confirm crit.

[roll0] Crit confirmation, [roll1] Damage if confirmed
EDIT: Numbers are off a bit, marking the changes here:
Attack Roll: +11 base -6 power attack +2 Rage +2 giant killing +4 soaring = +13 total, confirm roll should be 27.
Damage Roll: 7d6+4 base +4 giant killing +12 power attack +3 rage = +23, inital roll is 40, crit roll is 1d6+63 for a total of 68 damage if the 27 hits, 40 if not.

Rizban
2012-11-30, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how you're getting that damage roll on your crit confirmation... Could you explain that one to me?

TriumphantHero
2012-11-30, 03:48 PM
Damage for a normal swing is 1d6+23 with my rage and giant killing style with full power attack. Doubled, that's 2d6+46. Soaring Raptor does +6d6 which doesn't multiply. The initial roll got me 40 on 7d6+23, so to roll for a crit, I added 1d6+23 to the 40 that already rolled, getting me a grand total of 1d6+63. A point by point breakdown is 2d6 muliplied weapon die, +6d6 Soaring Raptor strike (the rolls on these come out to be 22 total), +7 for having 20 strength while raging, which becomes +14 with doubling. +4 for Giant Killing Stance, which becomes +8 with doubling, and +12 for power attack with a 2handed weapon, doubled to 24. So it comes out to be 22+14+8+24, for a total of 68.

Rizban
2012-11-30, 04:20 PM
Okay. It was the adding the total from the previous roll to the confirmation damage roll that was throwing me off. I hadn't seen someone do that on the forums before...
Also, even if they use the same die for damage, in the future, could you please separate out the rolls for different effects? It just makes it easier for me to keep track of what's going on and apply DR and immunity and whatever should it apply.
E.g. [roll0] + [roll1] + whatever else.
It a little more work for you but MUCH less work for me. :smalltongue:Your attack tears open the brute's abdomen, bile, blood, and entrails spill out. It seems only to enrage him.

Volprecht stabs at him with the ranseur, dealing an additional [roll2] damage.

Gregor's weapon manages only to hit the area you already destroyed, dealing no significant damage.

The smaller rats, seeing their champion so easily brutalized turn tail and run.

The brute, enraged by you, swings his club down at your head with all his enraged strength. You manage to avoid a direct blow to your head, which would have been fatal, but still take [roll3].

Egbert tries to stab the brute again, managing to do only insignificant damage.

TriumphantHero
2012-11-30, 04:57 PM
Makhain lets out a snarl as he gets hit, before cutting loose with a savage 4-hit combination of swings, intent on finishing what he started.

Main Hand: [roll0] [roll1]
Off Hand: [roll2] [roll3]
Whirling Frenzy: [roll4] [roll5]
Iterative from BAB: [roll6] [roll7]

Rizban
2012-11-30, 05:21 PM
Two of his attacks hit, dealing more horrid damage. However, the creature continues to survive on adrenaline induced fury, not knowing that it should indeed be dead.

Volprecht and Gregor finally manage to bring it down, and Egbert slices through its throat just to be sure... twice.

"Damn, that was a big'un. Volprecht, you had the right idea to run, but Squirt here managed to turn the tide. We ought to get a fair price for this one's tail."

TriumphantHero
2012-11-30, 05:53 PM
Coming down off of his adrenaline surge, Makhain slumps a bit, a grin still on his face. "Now that was a fight." He pulls out his eternal wand and burns both of it's daily uses on Gregor. "Took a hell of a lot out of me though."

[roll0] Healing to Gregor

Rizban
2012-11-30, 07:00 PM
I um... didn't notice the eternal wand in your inventory when I approved your character... Eternal wands can't be divine spells, and you have to be able to cast spells to activate it or use UMD. I guess I just missed seeing it, or I would have said something earlier...

An eternal wand holds an arcane spell ... allows any character who can cast arcane spells to use
An eternal wand holds a single arcane spell ... Any character who can cast arcane spells can activate

TriumphantHero
2012-11-30, 07:15 PM
Mind if I change it and the rations into an Ehlonna's Seed Pouch, then? I'd lose 230gp, but I have it to lose anyway.

Rizban
2012-12-01, 05:05 AM
Yes, that's fine.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-02, 02:47 AM
"So, should we keep going? Don't know if I could take another of those."

Rizban
2012-12-03, 02:11 AM
"I don't know. That's the biggest one I've ever seen, but where there's one there's probably more. We really ought to rethink this. I'll do whatever you guys decide though."


"I'm ready. Let's get out of here. That was just too damn much. We need better weapons and armor and maybe more men."


""And how do you expect to GET better weapons and armor or more men? Huh, Volprecht? We keep going, get some tails, and collect our reward. These few aren't nearly enough for us to make anything off of."

One wants to leave, one wants to stay, and the other is indifferent. It seems the decision falls to you.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-03, 02:23 AM
"Let's keep going, then, but carefully. If another one of those shows up, we run."

Rizban
2012-12-03, 02:38 AM
You find a number of the small ones, most of which seem to be adolescents, which are rather wimpy and easily dispatched. You collect a total of 18 rat tails plus the tail for the big one before you hear a ROAR coming from not too far away. You aren't sure, but it sounds even bigger than the big one you fought. Even Egbert decides that it's time to run.

When all is said and done, you gain 600 XP from combat.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-03, 02:55 AM
"Well, that was an adventure. Pleasure fighting alongside you three. How much do you reckon we'll get for all these?"

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:28 AM
"Well, they usually pay us twenty per tail, and we usually end up with at least 50. Tonight just seems like a bad night...

I'm sure we can get more out of them for the really big guy though."

TriumphantHero
2012-12-03, 05:27 PM
"Well then, let's find out just how much we can get out of them."

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:17 PM
The four of you travel back to the kobold lair, and the one who spoke to you earlier comes out to meet you carrying a small bag of gold. He counts out the money for the 18 tails. When he finishes, Egbert pulls out the tail taken from the large one.

"How much will you give us for killing this beastie?"

When he sees the tail, it is obvious he recognizes what it is and just gawks at it. He turns and runs through a small hole. A few minutes later he returns and begins speaking in kobold to Egbert. Since you do not know the language, you understand nothing of the conversation.

Egbert turns smiling. "They're going to give us a thou gold for the biggun!"

TriumphantHero
2012-12-03, 07:54 PM
"Very nice. A fellow could get used to that kind of payout."

Rizban
2012-12-03, 08:54 PM
After dividing everything equally among the four of you, you end up getting 340 gold. Your trek out of the sewers is uneventful.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-03, 09:07 PM
Makhain heads over to the temple district, to see about getting his wounds tended to, looking for a temple of Ehlonna.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 09:53 AM
He finds a small plot of land about 40 ft x 40 ft with a circle of ash tree saplings and plenty of grass. A small statue in the shape of Ehlonna's holy symbol rests in the center of the circle.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-06, 12:59 PM
Hm, that won't do. Second choice is pretty much any good deity that has clerics in town. Makhain goes on a hunt for one of those.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 01:38 PM
He finds a large number of those.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-06, 01:47 PM
Makhain picks one at random and asks, "Excuse me, do you offer healing here?"

Rizban
2012-12-06, 02:59 PM
"sure do." rates are as per spell casting in the phb.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-06, 03:09 PM
Buying a cure serious wounds casting for 150, then.
[roll0] healed

After getting healed up to an acceptable level, Makhain heads over to the Guildsman. With any luck there will be a mercenary or swordsman guild he can get in on.

Rizban
2012-12-07, 08:46 AM
Moving northeast towards Guildsman, he sees numerous shops, a few fancier houses, and lots of places to spend money. The closer to Guildsman that he gets, the less fancy and more utilitarian the buildings become. Further down the road, the buildings appear to become workshops and smithies and the like rather than the retail shops, taverns, inns, and living spaces common in Midtown. Guildsman reveals itself to be primarily an industrial district.

A Gather Information check, asking for directions, or several posts about wandering the streets and looking at things will be required to find where such a place would exist.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-07, 03:18 PM
Makhain asks around, still getting used to the scope of this city and it's inhabitants.

[roll0] Gather Information

Rizban
2012-12-11, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately, everyone he asks is either unable or unwilling to give him any information about a mercenary guild.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-11, 07:47 PM
Not to be deterred, Makhain starts looking around the area, if nobody's willing to tell him, maybe he can get lucky and spot one.

Rizban
2012-12-12, 11:31 AM
The sun is beginning to go down, and you haven't managed to stumble across any mercenary guilds in the area. You have found the headquarters of two trade guilds, though you don't know much about them beyond being related to crafting somehow.

TriumphantHero
2012-12-12, 01:55 PM
Makhain shrugs and heads back to his room to sleep. Maybe one of the trade guilds will need help. Assuming nothing eventful happens, he heads back to one of them in the morning.

Rizban
2012-12-13, 04:37 PM
Approaching the front door, a small sign to the left of the door reads "Smiths' and Farriers' Association".

TriumphantHero
2012-12-13, 04:51 PM
Makhain goes in and looks around, trying to find someone who looks like they're in charge, or failing that, someone who isn't particularly busy.

Rizban
2012-12-18, 02:13 PM
Inside, you find yourself in a small antechamber with a crude wooden bench on one wall and a small desk along the other. Behind the desk sits a young man of about 17 or 18. He appears to be doing some paperwork of some kind but quickly puts it away when you enter and stands to greet you.

"Welcome, sir. How might I help you?"

TriumphantHero
2012-12-18, 02:59 PM
"I was wondering if you had anything you need doing. I'm a swordsman, new to this town, looking for work."

Rizban
2012-12-18, 09:11 PM
"Sir, do you realize that this is a crafts guild? We don't really have much call for fighters. However, there might be a merchant or two looking to hire guards. If you'd like to leave your contact information, I can give it to anyone who asks."

TriumphantHero
2012-12-20, 12:22 PM
"Ah. sorry. I'm unfamiliar with the customs of this place. I am staying at the Sad Flint, and my name is Makhain. Do you need anything else or will that be enough?"

Rizban
2012-12-20, 12:58 PM
"Perhaps tell me what you're capabilities are so that I can relate them..."

TriumphantHero
2012-12-20, 02:07 PM
"Oh, well...I once killed a tiger in a single blow, and I have trained in both single sword and a two-weapon style, specializing in fighting enemies larger than myself."

Rizban
2012-12-28, 04:15 AM
"Interesting. I'll be sure to pass that along..."

TriumphantHero
2012-12-28, 11:34 AM
"Very well then. I'll be on my way." With that, Makhain leaves. Hmm, maybe he could advertise with the town crier or something, get work to come to him instead of the other way around. Armed with this new idea he heads back to the town square to see if that can be done.

Rizban
2013-01-08, 06:07 PM
Sorry for the delay...
The town crier informs you that postings cost 50 gp per week or 125 gp per month. He does not guarantee results or imply any kind of warranty. No exchanges or refunds.

TriumphantHero
2013-01-08, 08:03 PM
No problem, it's a pretty busy time of year.

"Very well, then." Makhain writes up an ad: 'Swordsman for hire. Inquire for Makhain at the Sad Flint. Rates negotiable.' "I would like this posted for a week." Along with the sheet, he hands over 50 gold pieces. While he's there, he looks at the other postings.

Rizban
2013-01-08, 09:40 PM
The town crier tells you that your advertisement will be posted with the next news update. The current news is in the first post of the city streets.

TriumphantHero
2013-01-19, 03:52 PM
Not finding anything posted particularly to his liking, Makhain heads back to the Sad Flint, he's had the most luck there so far. He mingles with the crowd, listening for anyone talking about any jobs.

Rizban
2013-01-21, 10:53 AM
Most of what you overhear has to do with tales of adventures, dungeons, and fighting strange beasts.

TriumphantHero
2013-01-22, 02:21 AM
Sorry, but I'm going to have to quit this game. Can't really devote the time any more with my schedule.

Rizban
2013-01-23, 06:02 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that. If you decide to come back, let me know.

TriumphantHero
2013-01-23, 03:14 PM
I will. Probably after this semester is over, my schedule right now just keeps me from having free time.