PDA

View Full Version : Hogwarts 1912 [IC3]

mrwest13
2012-10-25, 05:50 PM
You've gotten your money for school supplies from Gringotts, whether on loan from Hogwarts or from your parents' vault. Diagon Alley was reasonably easy to navigate to the bank, but now you're facing a wall of colors and banners.

There are some stops to make, and your first choice as a free-thinking 11-year-old is in what order to make them. Looking down at the scrap of parchment in your hand, you make out the following list:

Ollivanders Wand Shop - Wand
Quality Quiddich Supplies - Broom
Flourish and Blotts - Books
Magical Menagerie - Pet
Amanuensis Quills - Quill, Ink, Parchment
Slug & Jiggers - Potion Supplies
Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions - Robes
Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment - Misc. Supplies

You can probably find anything else you'll need at one of the street peddlers.

Morithias
2012-10-25, 06:11 PM
Maria will go to the stores in this order.

Ollivanders Wand Shop - Wand
Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions - Robes
Flourish and Blotts - Books
Amanuensis Quills - Quill, Ink, Parchment
Slug & Jiggers - Potion Supplies
Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment - Misc. Supplies
Magical Menagerie - Pet
Quality Quiddich Supplies - Broom

She happily skips down the street humming a merry tune anxious to get her stuff for the coming year. She had been looking forward to coming since she was old enough to understand what Hogwarts was. Friends, studies, and fun.

Niria
2012-10-25, 06:48 PM
Liz makes her way down a familiar street only to stop in front of an all too familiar brown building. The building is old, empty, and slowly falling apart. Boards line the windows, and a series of crude graffiti drawling can be found all over it. A small welcome sign still hangs above the door. It alone seems to be the only thing that remains untouched. Liz slowly makes her way to the door and places a hand upon it. "Mother, Father....I made it."

A few more silent seconds pass, before Liz turns and begins to head back up the street towards her first location. If she wanted to miss the crowds, she had to hurry.

1.Flourish and Blotts - Books(Wants to buy mostly used books)
2.Slug & Jiggers - Potion Supplies
3.Amanuensis Quills - Quill, Ink, Parchment
4.Magical Menagerie - Pet
5.Quality Quiddich Supplies - Broom
6.Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment - Misc. Supplies
7.Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions - Robes
8.Ollivanders Wand Shop - Wand

d3vil
2012-10-26, 07:59 AM
Oliver left Gringots well prepared for his shopping tour through Diagon Alley. After a quick glance at his parchment, he decides to go through the shops in the following order:

Go to Flourish & Blotts, Amanuensis Quills, Slug & Jiggers and Wiseacre's in whichever order is most convenient. There he pays the shop owner's to make First Year-Packages with the most commonly needed things.

He then proceeds to Madam Malkin's to get his measurements taken.

While his robes are being tailored, he takes an extensive time to pick his Wand at Olivander's.

Afterwards, he picks a Owl at Eeylops Owl Emporium and returns to pick up his robes and his packages.

With whatever money he has left, he gets a broom from Quality Quidditch Supplies.

mrwest13
2012-10-26, 11:11 PM
First half hour

Maria

You head over to Ollivanders. Lucky for you, you're one of the first to show up, as the beginning rush for first year wands is understandable. The man behind the counter sizes you up, then goes to the back, rooting around in piles of boxes. You have no idea how he finds anything in this mess. Coming back about 40 seconds later, Ollivander opens the box and hands you a bright, somewhat thin wand. " 9", yew wood, unicorn tail, rigid, recently crafted." It feels a little flimsy, but you give it a wave nonetheless.

The wood frame of the building creaks slightly, and the glass of a lamp near you changes to a rich violet hue. Ollivander raises his eyebrows for a moment, then shrugs. "Never hurts to have a bit of color. I can change it back later, don't you fret." He goes to start writing a receipt.

Liz & Oliver

Flourish and Blott's sells all sorts of books, and it would actually be quite difficult to find the ones you need, were it not for the large display near the front of the store labeled FIRST-YEAR BOOKS. It seems like the rest of the student body is stuck browsing the shelves for their volumes, and you decide to do the same. It seems there are a couple books on advanced topics designed with the first- or second-year in mind, as well as some lightly used copies of those books on the required list. Showing up early means that there are some good quality used books that are easy to find.

As Oliver gathers his books and heads up to the counter, he trips on a stool sliding across the room on its own accord. Volumes slide across the ground in a wide arc. Liz witnesses the entire spectacle as she is looking through the sixth-year transfiguration bookshelf.

Morithias
2012-10-26, 11:14 PM
I thank him for the wand and pay my gold. I then carefully place it inside it's case and pocket it before heading to the Robe shop.

"Robe shopping must be annoying." I think. "At our age you would have to buy or resize your robes almost every year. I wonder if we get special robes for potions. I would like to think so, or else our robes are probably going to look horrid after a few weeks. Come to think of it, how do we do our laundry at Hogwarts?"

Niria
2012-10-27, 12:05 AM
Liz pulled out one of the sixth-year transfiguration books and attempted to start reading it , but it was a struggle. There were many words that she didn't recognize, and it spoke of many spells that she was clueless about. Putting the book back, she took out another transfiguration book, but this one was more like an extension on basic transfigurations. Her eyes gleamed as she swept through it's contents, and she readily added it to her stack. There was no denying it, transfiguration was one of the classes that she couldn't wait to start. There was just so many questions that still needed answered. As she went to pull out another book, her attention was diverted as a boy close by got assaulted by a rogue stool.

Liz let out a small sigh as she watched the boy go down, and made her way over to him. Slowly she picked up all of the scattered books around him, and handed him the stack. "You really should watch where you are going. Especially when you are in a wizard's shop." Her eyes were sharp, but there was a strange kind of softness to her voice.

d3vil
2012-10-27, 11:02 AM
"Wizard's Shop!? This is a bloody bookstore! And an incompetent one at that! I bet every mugglestore would jump and fetch me my books if I offered him a golden coin, but these people here obviously have no respect for other people's time!"

Oliver takes his books.

"Thanks. Anyway, sorry for bumping into you. I see you're shopping for the first grade as well? I'm Oli! Olvier Dugan, that is"

Niria
2012-10-27, 11:47 AM
Liz's eyes narrowed a little when the boy started to rant. Muggle's fetching him things? Wasting his time? She had seen many wizard''s like this one before, it was obvious he came from a rich family and was used to being catered to."Perhaps the owners expect the customers to be competent enough to maneuver around magically enhanced items." Not sure if she wanted the conversation to continue, Liz inched a little toward the checkout line. She nodded curtly when asked if she was a first year. "...I am a first year as well. Name is Liz Meyers." Liz hardly ever introduced herself by her full first name, as she hated it.

d3vil
2012-10-27, 12:05 PM
"With all these people it's kind of overwhelming and confusing. I would have preferred not to waste my time gathering dusted books. Anyway, I'll be checking these out. I'm going to Slugs & Jitters next, maybe make a stop at Amanuensis Quills first? I'm not sure which one is closer?"

Niria
2012-10-27, 12:27 PM
"Yes, it is a bit confusing I suppose. Especially with the stores being jammed packed." Liz softened a little, and moved up to the counter and paid. Once done she made her way back to the boy. "Those were my next to planned stops as well, and I can't quite remember which one is closer. Would you like to go together?" Liz asked the last question uncertainly, still not sure what to take of the boy. She wasn't used to being around others her age, and she wasn't used having company. At the moment the boy seemed nice enough, and they were heading in the same direction, so why not?

d3vil
2012-10-27, 02:34 PM
"Sure, why not."

Oliver opens the door for Liz as they leave the building and continue to the next stop on the shopping list.

mrwest13
2012-10-27, 09:26 PM
The next hour

Oliver & Liz

Slug and Jiggers has a bunch of things that are either intimidating or downright strange. You joke to one another about some of the weirdest things on display. After a few laughs, you both buy the first-year student's kit being sold at the front.

Your trip to Amanuensis Quills is relatively uneventful. There are plenty of unique quills to pick from, and you find one you really like after looking for awhile.

Maria

The people at Madam Malkin's fit your robes and sends you on your way with a set of 3. As you leave, you realize that you have no idea how long it actually took. That seamstress really knew how to chat it up.

At Flourish and Blotts, you work your way through the shelves, trying to find something that looks more entertaining than those drab first-year books up front. You find a couple books that a clerk just reshelved that contain interesting-looking material. You grab those and a pack of first-year materials and head up to the counter to pay.

Morithias
2012-10-27, 09:53 PM
I thank both the robe lady and the bookstore and pay. "I look forward to coming back here often." I tell the lady at the counter. "I love to read." She blushes a tiny bit at this nerdy fact of hers before hurrying out of the store to go to the next few stores.

"Quills, ink, parchment...you know why do we still use quills and ink? Why not pencils (invented 1838 in England), or fountain pens (Invented in the 1800's with the common design coming in around 1850 according to wikipedia)?

She went into the store and looked around unable to find any before finally asking the store owner.

"Um..do you sell pencils? You know the writing tool that uses graphite?" She asked worried what the elder mage might think of her, or even if he knew what graphite was.

Niria
2012-10-27, 11:02 PM
Liz finds a rather durable looking, dark blue quill and makes her way to the counter. After she checks out, she waits for Oliver to finish before saying goodbye. "Well Oliver Dugan, I think this is where we part. Perhaps we will bump into one another once again at Hogwarts."

d3vil
2012-10-28, 06:23 PM
Oliver quickly gets his stuff and continues to Madam Malkin's.

"It was nice meeting you, Liz Meyers. Good luck with the Sorting Hat!"

mrwest13
2012-10-29, 09:37 PM
Wrap-up

The rest of your shopping is more or less uneventful. After picking up the rest of the things you will need for the coming school year, you are given a small satchel and a piece of parchment with instructions on it as you leave Diagon Alley.

Morithias
2012-10-29, 10:31 PM
I go back to my house and happily talk to my parents about my future happily talking about what I'm going to do in the future.

"I should probably get ahead of the curb, and start doing some pre-class reading." I comment to them. "If you need me to do anything please just knock. I'm going to go crack open these books."

I spend the remainder of my break looking over my books and doing some pre-studying, when I have free time.

Niria
2012-10-30, 04:06 AM
Liz makes her way back home to the one-bedroom house that she shares with her grandmother, and shows her grandmother all of the various new school gear that she had bought. The two beam over all of the supplies, and her grandmother starts telling her stories about her life in Hogwarts(She was a Ravenclaw, best house there is! How her son got sorted into Gryffindor she had no clue...)The next day Liz goes back to her daily routine of finding random small jobs, while taking care of her grandmother. During her precious and infrequent hours of free-time, Liz starts reading her transfiguration books, for she is too curious to wait for class.

mrwest13
2012-10-31, 09:31 PM
The parchment instructs you about the contents of the bag and how to use it. Apparently a Portkey, it is designed for single-use travel, within a specific time window, to the platform from which the Hogwarts Express departs. You seem to be caught in a transition year, where the Ministry of Magic has not disallowed Portkeys for travel to Hogwarts, but has mandated the use of the train to get there. Bureaucrats.

You gather your bags on the morning of departure, tying the special string supplied in the bag to all of your things, then tying the end to your finger. You touch the Portkey as instructed, and feel an immediate pull on your midsection. Dragged through what seems like a hole in space so small it turns you into spaghetti, you reappear a moment later at a train platform with all your luggage beside you. The string has disappeared.

Getting your bearings, you make your way onto the Express.

Morithias
2012-10-31, 09:38 PM
The parchment instructs you about the contents of the bag and how to use it. Apparently a Portkey, it is designed for single-use travel, within a specific time window, to the platform from which the Hogwarts Express departs. You seem to be caught in a transition year, where the Ministry of Magic has not disallowed Portkeys for travel to Hogwarts, but has mandated the use of the train to get there. Bureaucrats.

You gather your bags on the morning of departure, tying the special string supplied in the bag to all of your things, then tying the end to your finger. You touch the Portkey as instructed, and feel an immediate pull on your midsection. Dragged through what seems like a hole in space so small it turns you into spaghetti, you reappear a moment later at a train platform with all your luggage beside you. The string has disappeared.

Getting your bearings, you make your way onto the Express.

I put my luggage in the luggage compartment, and look around the train.

"So we use trains, but not pencils...I swear sometimes this world makes no sense to me, and I'm a witch." I mutter to no one in particular as I walk down the train looking for an empty room to sit down and read in.

d3vil
2012-10-31, 11:55 PM
After using the Floo Network at the Leaky Cauldron, Oliver brings his new acquisitions to his room at the Dugan Estate. He puts everything into his travel bags and follows the instructions on the parchment.

Arriving at Platform 9 3/4 Oliver carefully stowed away his luggage. He then goes looking for familiar faces.

"I'll might as well try and make some friends while we're travelling in this heap of metal."

Niria
2012-11-01, 06:43 AM
Using the portkey leaves Liz feeling a bit sick, and her stomach begins to roll. On her shoulder sits a dark brown ferret whom, quite contrary to is owner, is sitting up and looking excitedly around at the other students. Slowly making her way onto the train, she looks for a lone compartment not really feeling the need for company at the moment.

Morithias
2012-11-01, 11:18 AM
I sit in an empty apartment and start reading a book. Leaving the door open to let the air in, also so someone else can come in, since it's sort of rude to take a whole compartment for yourself.

mrwest13
2012-11-03, 06:04 PM
On the Express

Liz & Oliver

Oliver makes his way through the train cars, finding many to be full. Eventually, he finds his way into the same car as Maria.

Liz, being one of the last students to board the train, sees Oliver's familiar face and joins the group.

There are four students your cabin. Population: a first-year girl with blonde hair, already fast asleep, and the three of you.

Morithias
2012-11-03, 07:05 PM
I look up from my book. "Hello. How are you? Are you excited to start your first year too? Want to do some co-op pre-studying before we get there?"

Niria
2012-11-04, 03:07 PM
As Liz walks into the compartment she gives a curt nod to Oliver, greeting the boy."I guess it didn't take too long for us to bump into one another."

Once she walks fully in the compartment she turns to face Maria as the girl greets them. Her eyes bore into the other girl's eyes as she starts talks, and she attempts to offer the girl a small smile in response, but it came off more as a grimace.

"Hello to you too, and I'm not sure if excited is quite the correct word." She held her stomach as if continued to roll around. "It seems that my stomach did not like traveling by portkey too much."

Liz took one of the window seats and laid her head against the wall. "I think I am going to pass on studying. I think she.." She nodded quietly over at the girl whom was already asleep "Has the right idea."

Morithias
2012-11-04, 05:58 PM
"Shame." Maria said. "I personally love studying. What house do you think you're going to end up in? My parents say Ravenclaw or Slytherin." She tapped the book a few more times. "I hope we get to cover alchemy, my parents say they don't cover it specifically, but I've always found it cool. Did you know muggles used to study something they called alchemy too?"

Niria
2012-11-04, 07:16 PM
Liz sighed a bit annoyed and looked over at the girl. Wasn't she getting the hint that I just want to sleep?"Does what house we get in really matter? The houses are just a way for Hogwarts to keep control of it's students." She closed her eyes wishing for sleep to overcome her, but her expression softened a little when she reopened her eyes. "Based on my family's history I may end up in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. Those were the houses my parents were in."

As the girl goes on to talk about alchemy, Liz can't help but to release a very small and subdued smile. " I can already see you are both very excited to start school, and quite the overachiever. Studying on the way to Hogwart's, talking about studying alchemy. Although I must admit, alchemy is an very intriguing subject. I would also love to learn more about it." Liz nodded her head thoughtfully at the mention of muggle's having their own form of alchemy. "Muggle's are very resourceful and I am not surprised to hear they have come up with their own form of alchemy. When I take jobs with them, I am always slightly amazed at the Muggle's inventions that make up for their lack of..magical talents."

Giving up on the idea of sleeping, Liz sits up and turns towards the girl. "My name is Liz by the way. Elizabeth Meyers."

d3vil
2012-11-04, 07:36 PM
"Hey everyone! I'm Oliver! Oliver Dugan."

Oliver seats himself.

"Really, you are learning already? I think thats really just overkill. Oh and by the way, did you know that Muggles built this train!?"

Morithias
2012-11-04, 08:19 PM
"I didn't know that" Maria comments. "I'm Maria Custard by the way. I find it funny that we're riding in a muggle-built train, but we used ink quills instead of pencils. Sometimes after studying the muggle world, the magic world seems so...well...timey wimey. Using technology from various points in history with little rhyme or reason."

d3vil
2012-11-04, 10:25 PM
"Well, transportation of students was problematic in the past. About 60 years ago, the Minister of Magic had this crazy idea with the train, since it was supposedly working extremely well for those Muggles. Well, and here we are today."

Niria
2012-11-04, 10:31 PM
"I think the wizarding world has one frame of mind when it comes to technology...if it's not baroque, then why fix it?" Liz then went silent and her face grew oddly serious. It's not only technology that we are behind on.

Morithias
2012-11-04, 10:55 PM
"Well either way. I've got to imagine what kind of advancements we could make combining muggle technology with witch magic." Maria happily says. "I hope I can hang out with you guys more at school. Even if we're in different houses."

She holds up the book. "I'm just reading up on Potions. I like mixing things. It helps with cooking too! I love to bake! What do you do for hobbies?"

mrwest13
2012-11-05, 10:44 PM
On the Express

As you chat, time is going by rather quickly. Before you know it, there is an announcement throughout the train that it will be arriving in 20 minutes.

Morithias
2012-11-06, 03:48 PM
On the Express

As you chat, time is going by rather quickly. Before you know it, there is an announcement throughout the train that it will be arriving in 20 minutes.

"ACK! We better get ready!" I pack my book away, and leave the luggage behind as I make the necessary preparations for the trip to the castle.

Niria
2012-11-07, 06:30 PM
Liz looked thoughtfully at the other girl when she asked what they liked to do for hobbies. "I don't have much free time at home, but when I do I have always enjoyed hiking and reading. Subject wise....I have a personal curiosity with transfiguration."Liz grew quiet as the announcer spoke, and also began to put things away. Uric reacting to all of the excitement around the train began to crawl excitedly down Liz. Liz picked him back up and smiled back at him. "We are almost there Uric. I felt like this day would never come."

mrwest13
2012-11-08, 07:51 AM
You get changed and exit the train when instructed. Most of the mass of students seem to be going up the hill and toward a large clearing. You are about to follow, then you see the large sign that reads FIRST YEARS in the other direction.

Morithias
2012-11-08, 12:27 PM
You get changed and exit the train when instructed. Most of the mass of students seem to be going up the hill and toward a large clearing. You are about to follow, then you see the large sign that reads FIRST YEARS in the other direction.

To the first years area it is! I follow the mass of first years to the sign post!

Niria
2012-11-08, 02:52 PM
Liz grabs her luggage and follows along with the other students. She could feel her heart beating quickly as she went down the winding path. Was she actually getting nervous? Well it was a strange day. She hardly ever got nervous, not to mention she hardly ever opened up to anyone like she had done on the train. Altogether she was going to sum it all up to first day jitters.

d3vil
2012-11-10, 10:34 PM
Oliver gets his bags and heads towards the First Year sign.

"Gosh, I'm so excited."

mrwest13
2012-11-12, 07:22 AM
You are ushered by the groundskeeper to a lake. Waiting at the dock nearest you is a small fleet of boats befitted with lanterns. As groups of students board the boats, the vessels begin to glide across the lake toward the school.

After waiting in line, you finally get to a boat. Leaving your luggage in an ever-growing pile, you allow the boat to ferry you across the lake. The sheer size of Hogwarts as you draw nearer strikes you with awe. In a flash it seems you are waiting with the rest of the first-years outside of a great set of doors to the dining hall. The shock of this whole experience seems to be wearing off somewhat (possibly the point of sending the first-years by the scenic route).

Morithias
2012-11-12, 11:47 AM
"May we all enjoy our time here. Regardless of which house we get." Maria says happily.

Niria
2012-11-12, 03:58 PM
Liz nods her head in agreement with Maria, but her mind is truly elsewhere. Her eyes are swooping all of the castle as she takes in her surroundings as the urge to start exploring takes over. She couldn't wait for the stupid ceremony to be over so that she could start looking for perhaps a space she could escape to on the daily. Just from being surrounded these last few hours, Liz could already feel her nerves being pushed on edge and she had an undeniable urge to runaway. If she wasn't able to find a place to escape to, Liz knew that she would never be able to survive these next few years.

d3vil
2012-11-13, 08:09 PM
Oliver can be seen talking to various kids in the hall. He seems to know quite a lot of people.

Morithias
2012-11-13, 08:10 PM
Maria whips open her potions book and starts reading it again, waiting for the sorting to begin...whatever it is they do to sort them.

mrwest13
2012-11-15, 07:50 AM
Sorting

After you are let into the dining hall, first-years are brought up one by one to sit on a stool. An old, strange looking hat is placed on their head by the headmaster. After a few moments, the hat calls out the name of the house they are to be in. Why can't the headmaster just do it? He's right there.

Maria:

You're called up to the front, and it seems like such a long walk, even though in the back of your mind you know it isn't. Sitting on the stool, the hat is put on your head (not all that delicately). You hear nothing. Did the sorting hat just break?

The hat shouts out "Slytherin!"

Elizabeth:

You're called up to the front, and it seems like such a long walk, even though in the back of your mind you know it isn't. Sitting on the stool, the hat is put on your head. In a matter of seconds. . .

The hat shouts out "Gryffindor!"

Oliver:

You're called up to the front, and it seems like such a long walk, even though in the back of your mind you know it isn't. Sitting on the stool, the hat is put on your head. The hat talks to itself for a moment, not seeming to care that you can hear. After debating between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, it finally settles.

The hat shouts out "Ravenclaw!"

Morithias
2012-11-15, 02:07 PM
I go and sit at my table, watching the other kids get sorted with a happy smile on my face, looking forward to the new year.

mrwest13
2012-11-16, 07:39 AM
After all of the first-years have been sorted, the headmaster rises to make an announcement.

"As you know, the situation of the Muggle world is dire. Miscommunication, hate, and greed have caused the worst conflict in the last few centuries. The teachers and I have been meeting to discuss this and other current events, and we have decided that it's time to make a change in the way our school is structured."

"You see, we fear that such rigid separation of houses could create such a conflict in the Wizarding world at some point in the future, if we continue down the path we are on. Therefore, all lab classes for all students will now be integrated with other houses. You can find the listings in your house common rooms. Each class year will have 4 integrated sections, to make sure we don't increase the workload on our instructors. Normal instructional classes will remain in-house. This change is non-negotiable, and we will be strongly enforcing a policy which disallows students from sitting with students from their own house during lab instruction. What you do outside of your lab classes is up to you, and you will still be prohibited from entering other house's common areas besides your own."

"With that out of the way, let this meal welcoming our new students into a new era at Hogwarts commence!"

Food magically appears on the long tables at which you are seated, and you eagerly dig in after getting over your surprise.

Morithias
2012-11-17, 02:30 AM
Maria digs in, targeting the meats and vegetables that a lot of the other kid are leaving alone. One needs to eat healthy in order to keep your body in good condition and healthy.

"So who cooks the food here anyways?" She off handedly comments. "Cause it's very well done."

Niria
2012-11-18, 01:20 AM
After being sorted, Liz makes her way back to the Gryffindor table and takes a seat on one of the corners. She couldn't help but to grin a little as she envisioned her grandmother's reaction at her being sorted into Gryffindor, but at least there was no doubt now that she was her father's daughter. She quietly watches as the rest of the students get sorted, and as the headmaster makes his announcement. Hate, miscommunication....these problems are already present in the wizarding world...When the food appears she starts to dig in, not really chatting with the students around her, but simply lost in thought.

mrwest13
2012-11-18, 10:18 PM
Evening of the first day:

Maria:
You are told by some of the older students that house elves cook the food for meals, and magic it up to the dining area.

All:

After being led to your respective dormitories, you check the postings by the entrance. It seems like you have been placed in Ursa integrated house. Your first lab is History of Magic tomorrow. You have at least one in-house class in the morning, though, so it looks like you'll get to know students in your house tonight and tomorrow morning before being split up.

Your bags are set out by your bed in the dorm room, and you spend the evening unpacking and getting to know your roommates. They seem alright, but mostly shell-shocked from the evening's events.

mrwest13
2012-11-18, 10:57 PM
Monday of the first week:

Breakfast is decent, with quite a selection of fruits and pastries. You head off to your first class invigorated.

Maria:

You look through your Transfiguration and Charms books, but there's only so far you can make it without having had your first class, but maybe it will help to reinforce what you learn.

You head off to Transfiguration class.

Elizabeth:

Maybe it would have been a better idea to go for a run before you ate. Breakfast sloshes around in your stomach, making for a sluggish jog around the grounds. You do see the second-years working on some Herbology lab assignment. Review from last year is what it looks like. You stop your run for a brief stint to watch them prune some strange, globular plants. Looks tough.

You finally run over to your Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

Oliver:

Sleeping in for an hour was definitely a good choice. You head off to Potions well-rested with an hour of preparation under your belt.

Morithias
2012-11-18, 11:16 PM
Evening of the first day:

Maria:
You are told by some of the older students that house elves cook the food for meals, and magic it up to the dining area.

I write and leave a note on my pillow the next morning thanking the house elves for the meal and services. I figure they'll find it when they clean the tower. I am careful to word it politely, but never in a way that insults them by their odd moral standards. I am also careful to put all of my clothes carefully away as to prevent insulting them.

Niria
2012-11-19, 12:30 AM
Liz quietly slips into her Defense Against the Dark Arts class and takes a seat in the back. Her brown hair is plastered against her forehead in a cold sweat, and she was breathing pretty heavily. Having a few free minutes before class started, she closes her eyes to zone out of her surroundings and recollect herself. Despite feeling a bit sick, running had felt great. Running had always been one of Liz's ways to prepare for the day...she just wasn't use to having access to so much food. So far life at Hogwarts was drastically different than her life back home. It was...easier. Food was plentiful. In a lot of ways she was free. Liz opened her eyes back up and waited for the class to start.

d3vil
2012-11-19, 01:12 AM
Oliver takes a seat in the middle of the class room. He starts to chat up with some of the Ravenclaws he met during the welcoming banquet. He was happy with the way he was fitting in and had a good time while waiting for class.

mrwest13
2012-11-20, 07:40 AM
First class on Monday:

Oliver:

You try to make conversation with some of the students before class, but most of them are buried in their texts, and don't pay much attention to you.

The class is well-taught, although the teacher is more soft-spoken that you were expecting. She goes through the material methodically, giving you an overview to the art of potionmaking, sticking in small practical usages here and there. After an hour of note-taking, you feel like you've learned a fair deal about potions in general, but not much about making your first potion.

mrwest13
2012-11-20, 05:38 PM
Liz:

The Defense Against the Dark Arts professor enters 5 minutes late to class, and goes into a rant that lasts at least half of the period. You're only catching the meaning of about every fifth sentence. Eventually, he calms down, and races through the introductory material. You wonder if looking at the material ahead of time would have even helped. Some of the ideas resonate well with you, but it looks like this class could be a rough one.

Maria:

Transfiguration goes well, and you enjoy the introduction the teacher gives. Turning a dog into a writing desk and back again looked cool, but you're sure it's far more difficult than the professor made it appear.

When the class ends, students get up to leave. You stay sitting in your chair. It seems that someone put some adhesive solution on your seat before class, and you didn't notice. A few students snicker as they walk out of the room.

The teacher comes over, and you explain your predicament. She nods in understanding, then leaves the room. Coming back a few minutes later, she empties a small vial of solution onto the chair, freeing your robe.

Niria
2012-11-20, 07:39 PM
Liz made her way over to her Herbology class still a bit confused from the DaDa lesson. She would have to spend some extra time this evening looking over the material.

Morithias
2012-11-21, 11:45 AM
Maria:

Transfiguration goes well, and you enjoy the introduction the teacher gives. Turning a dog into a writing desk and back again looked cool, but you're sure it's far more difficult than the professor made it appear.

When the class ends, students get up to leave. You stay sitting in your chair. It seems that someone put some adhesive solution on your seat before class, and you didn't notice. A few students snicker as they walk out of the room.

The teacher comes over, and you explain your predicament. She nods in understanding, then leaves the room. Coming back a few minutes later, she empties a small vial of solution onto the chair, freeing your robe.

I thank her and gather my things to leave. When I get to my next class I make sure to double check my seat.

mrwest13
2012-11-25, 09:56 PM
Maria:

Charms class goes much more smoothly, but you still notice about half of your classmates eying you, and a few muffled chortles intermittently work their way into the class period.

Elizabeth:

You've gotten over your uneasy stomach by the time you make it to Herbology class. You recognize the professor from your run this morning, but since the class is not a lab, most of the material covered is simply extracted from the first chapter of the book.

Morithias
2012-11-25, 10:00 PM
Maria:

Charms class goes much more smoothly, but you still notice about half of your classmates eying you, and a few muffled chortles intermittently work their way into the class period.

I double check myself, to try and check what they're laughing at. If I find nothing, I continue with the lesson paying attention to the teacher.

mrwest13
2012-11-25, 10:12 PM
Maria:

Nothing seems to be wrong, and you move about in your seat to make sure that nothing has fastened you to it.

Niria
2012-11-25, 10:33 PM
Liz stretches happily when Herbology class is over, and makes her way outside. Relieved that she now has an hour break, Liz begins to wander the grounds looking around at everything curiously. She knew that she should probably spend this time reviewing her earlier classes, but she was already feeling restless from all of the sitting. As she wanders around her eyes sweep over the Forbidden Forest, and she makes note that she will have to explore it one day when she has more time. When she passes by the lake, she stops for a moment as she looks down at it curiously.

Last night she had hardly paid attention to the lake, as she had been totally preoccupied with Hogwarts and all of its grandeur, but now she was able to admire the lake and its vast presence. I wonder what is inside of there....Grandma told me that they use to keep a monster in there, I wonder if that is true. Liz stood still watching it for a few more seconds, and then shrugged. It is probably just a big lie that Hogwarts uses to keep kids from swimming in it. Some kid probably drowned in it years ago, and Hogwarts simply didn't want to be responsible if it happened again. Afterwards Liz made her way back towards the school so that she wouldn't be late for her History of Magic Lab.

mrwest13
2012-11-27, 10:45 PM
History of Magic Lab:

The professor is late, giving you ample time to obey the rules on seating. The three of you all end up sitting at the same table, on the left side of the classroom.

Morithias
2012-11-28, 04:35 AM
History of Magic Lab:

The professor is late, giving you ample time to obey the rules on seating. The three of you all end up sitting at the same table, on the left side of the classroom.

I flip open my textbook and start taking notes waiting for the others to say something.

Niria
2012-11-29, 12:13 AM
Liz makes her way to the table and sits directly beside Maria. It wasn't until she was sitting that she realized that it was the same girl and boy from the train ride. She offers the two an awkward smile. "Oh Hello again. Looks like we all got drafted into the same lab schedule." She proceeded to pull out her own book but for some reason felt obligated to keep talking. I was kind of rude last night....perhaps I should try to be a bit friendlier. Without meeting either of their gazes her eyes drift to the first chapter of the book. "So...how have your first days been?"

Morithias
2012-11-29, 12:23 AM
Liz makes her way to the table and sits directly beside Maria. It wasn't until she was sitting that she realized that it was the same girl and boy from the train ride. She offers the two an awkward smile. "Oh Hello again. Looks like we all got drafted into the same lab schedule." She proceeded to pull out her own book but for some reason felt obligated to keep talking. I was kind of rude last night....perhaps I should try to be a bit friendlier. Without meeting either of their gazes her eyes drift to the first chapter of the book. "So...how have your first days been?"

"Some jerk glued me to a chair." Maria replies in a hurt tone, "I don't think people like me here." She continues to find key points in her textbook and record them on a piece of parchment. "Oh well, I came here to study anyway. Hanging out is good and all, but you don't create a philosopher's stone via spending your non-class time goofing off. If I ever want to make a great discovery I can't mess around." She pats her house badge. "Ambition right? Well ambition isn't enough, you need strong work ethic if you want to be a truly great person, you need to be intelligent, hard working, ambitious, and brave enough to try new things that no one else has thought of." She smiles and eyes the house badges of her two classmates.

Niria
2012-11-29, 01:04 AM
Liz frowned with the girl spoke about someone gluing her to the chair. "People can be a******s. If someone would have tried that with me I'd show them who they were messing with." Her's eyes filled with anger the more she thought about it, and she couldn't help but to wonder why someone would be picking on this poor girl. In fact Maria was one of the friendliest people she had meet so far. "You gotta stand up for yourself or else people will walk all over you. Don't worry, if someone tries that again in here-I got your back. After I get done with them, I doubt they will ever pick on you again." Liz sat up a bit straighter after saying this, and watched the other students carefully.

When Maria began talking about being ambition and forming the philosopher's stone Liz couldn't help but to smile a little. "With goals like that it is no wonder you went into Slytherin. I'm not sure if I have ever meet someone so driven. I suppose everyone wants to be someone great....everyone has a goal, but your right. Only hard work and dedication will help them achieve it." Liz was thoughtful for a few seconds as she pondered her own goals and her drive. Her eyes refocused on Maria. It was evident that this girl was someone special, and Liz wouldn't be surprised if she was the brightest in the class.

Morithias
2012-11-29, 01:12 AM
Maria smiles back. "Thanks..." she gives a cute grin. "If you ever want to study together...I mean I often find that one of the best ways to learn is to teach...and no matter how stupid, not that I'm calling you stupid, someone is, they'll almost always see at least one thing you miss, and missing one small part of my research could be the difference between me making the stone, and levelling a city in 20 years." She laughs a small laugh at this. "I mean, you probably won't study as much as I do, I'm kinda obsessive about my grades. My parents say they don't matter, and they'll love me no matter what, but I still want to achieve my dreams and help the dreams of others, and I'll need good marks to pull that off." She suddenly puts her hand over her mouth. "Sorry..I tend to ramble on...but if you ever want to..." She trails off when asking you, going from happy to shy in a short while.

Niria
2012-12-02, 12:04 AM
Liz felt herself also going quiet, but she eventually nodded her head slowly. "That would be nice. We should study together sometime....I would like that." Liz stared at the girl for a few seconds longer, clearly surprised she had asked her to study. She wasn't use to people actually wanting to hang out, nor was she used to someone being so friendly. Was this a some kind of cruel trick, or was Hogwarts actually going to be a place where Liz could escape her past.

Morithias
2012-12-02, 12:21 AM
Maria gleefully smiled. "I look forward to working with you. Give me a second."

She reaches into her bag and pulled out a schedule and proceeded to hand write a copy for Liz.

"This is my schedule for now. If the library is open and I'm doing studying I'm likely there. If you want to study something else than what I have written with me, that's fine by me, I can catch up on the study sessions I miss next week."

You look at the schedule. Does this girl have some kind of fetish for knowledge? Almost her whole schedule is filled with study sessions.

Maria grins. "Of course if I get far enough ahead I might be able to take breaks to do normal hanging out, but for now I want my O's if you know what I mean."

O's..but..that's not until 5th year...this girl is insane. You could see wanting to study magic. You could see someone who enjoys doing this kind of work, but this girl is a workaholic. And the worst part is you can tell from her eyes that she's not screwing with you. She seriously intends to put in all this time for her goal.

(You know how in the Sims 3, you'll give a sim the ambitious, workaholic, and other job traits, and in about 20 days go from a coffee carrier to a CEO, cause you're getting promoted every other day? That's basically what I'm doing with Maria. Unless the DM has an objection...)

mrwest13
2012-12-03, 10:44 PM
History of Magic lab seems to be just an excuse for longer lecturing by the professor. You manage to grind your way through the class by chatting occasionally under your breath with those sitting next to you. You head out of the class slightly tired and wondering how much you'll have to study to understand all of the facts sent your way in the last couple hours.

Morithias
2012-12-03, 10:49 PM
History of Magic lab seems to be just an excuse for longer lecturing by the professor. You manage to grind your way through the class by chatting occasionally under your breath with those sitting next to you. You head out of the class slightly tired and wondering how much you'll have to study to understand all of the facts sent your way in the last couple hours.

"I have potions after this. I'll be in the library from 1500 hours, or 3 pm going over my history notes followed by my potions notes. If you wish to meet me then I will be happy to study with either of you, but for now, I must go study my favorite subject CHEMISTRY."

She says chemistry loud as if not caring who hears her calling it that. It's highly likely that she has some connection with the muggle world that she's yet to tell you. She gleefully runs off with her books to her next class, leaving everyone in earshot to wonder what exactly she meant by saying "chemistry" instead of "potions".

Niria
2012-12-04, 06:05 AM
Liz couldn't help but to smile a little as the girl ran off, not sure quite what to the make of the Maria and even more not quite sure what the word Chemistry meant. Collecting her belongings she made her way back to the great hall for lunch. Afterwards she decided to take Maria up on her offer to study and made her way to the library.

mrwest13
2012-12-11, 10:59 PM
After Lab:

Maria and Oliver head off to their next class after lab. Elizabeth heads off to lunch.

ReaderAt2046
2012-12-17, 08:52 AM
“RELASHIO!!!”
The magic erupted from the tip of the wand in a torrent of sparks, white-hot as the spill-off from an arc-welder. The abandoned storeroom was briefly lit with a harsh white illumination. Gladius smiled grimly, the surge of power having helped reassure him.
I should have known the DADA class would start below my level, and it’s just as well. Those not on my level of study need to be able to understand too, but it’s so frustrating. I guess I’ll have to teach myself. But first things first, wouldn’t want to get out of shape.
Gladius slipped his wand into its sheath and began his katas. He started out with the unarmed drill. At first, remembering the proper patterns was difficult, but he soon fell into the familiar meditative trance. As his body repeated endlessly the familiar routines, he was able to consider the first days.
DADA was disappointing, but that’s just because I started out ahead. It looks like I’ll have to teach myself to a certain degree. Herbology is fine, but not particularly relevant to me. I’ll keep up there, but not bother with getting ahead. History of Magic is boring, but seems to be so for everyone else. I can study extra combat magic there…
He became aware that during this meditation he’d switched to the armed drills, slashing the air with his dagger.
He sheathed the dagger again and drew his wand. He began to experimentally try some moves, whirling and dodging while unleashing jets of white-hot magic fire.