PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Noir IC

horus42
2012-10-27, 10:39 PM
All three of you have, within the past week, received a mysterious note of unknown origin. Each letter was encased in an envelope bearing your name, in spidery, feminine handwriting. The letters simply read:

You and I both know that there's something wrong with this city. You're one of the few people I know I can trust. Meet me at 417 E Baker St next Tuesday at 11:30 pm, and we can start to set things right.

There's no signature, simply the letter J.

Rhyvurg
2012-10-27, 10:54 PM
Homer is leaning against a wall on the other side of the street at 11:30, his trench coat and fedora hiding his features. He didn't have much to do with dames since he started this new job. Not that he had much to do with them before, but now he avoided them rather than just went unnoticed. Under his coat, his lower right arm held his pistol, just in case this was some kind of set up by the mob. You'd think they would learn by now not to set up even more bodies to leave in his wake. But no, they just rounded up more dumb punks who found courage with a gun in their hands. To bad they were sent to die against a metal monster that eats bullets.

Obscurejones
2012-10-28, 12:02 AM
"...Huh."
John kicks his feet up on his desk as he peers at the paper. Traces his gaze carefully over every line and whorl of the thin looping script. Inspects the ink, then the paper. Holds it close and gives it a sniff for residues or traces of the author. This is... Odd. Very odd. The only person who'd know his predilections for frontier justice would know enough to just pick up the phone... Still might be worth a call. He digs for his phone under a pile of loose papers, grocery lists, deli receipts, the odd program from a jazz show. Dials the number quickly.
"Hiya Harry. Is your boss in? Got something I want to run by my friendly neighborhood flatfoot."

Firing Eye of the Cat from personal. If there's anything about the note that would be impossible for John to notice he perceives it.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 08:17 AM
At 11:29 precisely, Adam rounds the corner at the end of Baker Street, moving at a swift walk. He's dressed warmly, given the late time, and most would assume that he's just another citizen on the way home after a late night at the office.

Homer can almost certainly tell otherwise. The newcomers eyes are flicking from side to side with a wary caution, and there's an unconscious grace to his movements that speak of a hard life of rather unfortunate violence. More than that, for the briefest moments, it looks like his eyes are actually... red?

Adam doesn't stop, though, merely walking very calmly up to the door in question and knocking. As he waits for a response, he looks around very pointedly at the figure waiting on the other side of the road.

Rhyvurg
2012-10-28, 01:54 PM
Homer sees the guy look at him. Can't be a coincidence he's going to the same place. Another recipient of a mysterious letter, or the one he was here to meet? No way to tell, and Homer is not in the mood for chance. His thumb rests on the hammer of his piece, but doesn't pull it back. The shellcaster was so big this guy'd hear the click, even accross the street. But if this was the mob setting him up against some fireblood, he'd blow this guy's brains halfway to Meru.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 02:16 PM
Adam pauses, then turns to face the other individual waiting across the street. He keeps his hands visible, well away from any kind of weapon.

"You might as well come on over. Or at least introduce yourself." he calls out, voice calm. "My name is Adam Johnson, and I assure you that if I'd intended anything against you, you would not have seen me coming."

Rhyvurg
2012-10-28, 06:54 PM
Homer hesitates for a moment, then walks accross the street. His footsteps sound oddly loud, even for a man his size. As he gets closer, Adam can see this guy must be at least seven feet tall and looks like he eats barbells for breakfast. Adam can also see his eyes are...not normal, shaped strangely and seem to be solid blue. "Homer."

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 07:16 PM
The red-eyed man rocks backwards as though someone had just punched him in the jaw. "Damn..." he says softly, and there is pain in his eyes.

Rhyvurg
2012-10-28, 07:30 PM
"What's the matter with you, you sick or something?"

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 07:46 PM
Adam shakes his head. "No... well, not in body, anyway. Spirit, maybe." he looks up at the stars overhead for a brief moment, before returning his gaze to the man in front of him. "It's... I don't know, Fate, I think. Or else one hell of a coincidence."

He seems to wrestle with a decision for a few moments, before nodding to himself. This time, his words are cold and analytical, as though reading off a list. "Homer Johnson. First survivor of the Alchemical project to be returned to active service. They fused most of your body with Soulsteel, and equipped you with modular augmentic parts."

He reaches one hand up and runs it back through his hair in an old reflexive gesture. "I... work for the people who made you." he says at last, and there is more than a little bit of self-loathing there.

Rhyvurg
2012-10-28, 07:56 PM
Now he does hear the metallic click of a pistol's hammer. "Do tell." Both his hands are in the pockets of his coat though, he can't have a very large weapon, can he?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 08:08 PM
Adam chuckles, and pulls the side of his coat open, letting Homer see the hilt of the sword strapped to his hip. "You don't want to start with me, kid. Not at this range, at least. "

He lets the coat drop back across, hiding the blade from sight again. "Besides, this is a really bad place for revelations like that."

Rhyvurg
2012-10-29, 02:39 AM
"Sword, didn't see armor. Means you're fast. That's okay, I can shoot in many directions." Adam hears a collection of guns cocking, the distinctive racking slide of a shotgun, the bolt on a rifle, and what sounds like a submachine gun. And yet the big guy hadn't moved an inch. "Keep that in mind if you've got some kind of set up in mind."

Maugan Ra
2012-10-29, 05:27 AM
One eyebrow rises as Adam regards Homer. "I surely will. Though as I mentioned, if I was planning something... you wouldn't see me coming."

That said, he waits for some sort of response from the address they've arrived at, checking his wristwatch from time to time.

horus42
2012-10-29, 09:24 AM
"...Huh."
John kicks his feet up on his desk as he peers at the paper. Traces his gaze carefully over every line and whorl of the thin looping script. Inspects the ink, then the paper. Holds it close and gives it a sniff for residues or traces of the author. This is... Odd. Very odd. The only person who'd know his predilections for frontier justice would know enough to just pick up the phone... Still might be worth a call. He digs for his phone under a pile of loose papers, grocery lists, deli receipts, the odd program from a jazz show. Dials the number quickly.
"Hiya Harry. Is your boss in? Got something I want to run by my friendly neighborhood flatfoot."

Firing Eye of the Cat from personal. If there's anything about the note that would be impossible for John to notice he perceives it.

(Sorry it's been a while. :smallredface:)

There's nothing special about the note. It's just that, a note.

A voice on the other end of the line says, "John?"

Obscurejones
2012-10-29, 11:18 AM
"No the other guy who calls Smirnov out of the blue. Yeah it's me. Can you put Jack on the line, please?"
He taps out a staccato ratatattat on the desk as he waits, impatient energy dispersed harmlessly into jittery movement.

Rhyvurg
2012-10-30, 02:58 AM
One eyebrow rises as Adam regards Homer. "I surely will. Though as I mentioned, if I was planning something... you wouldn't see me coming."

That said, he waits for some sort of response from the address they've arrived at, checking his wristwatch from time to time.

"Right. You got any smokes?"

horus42
2012-10-30, 01:07 PM
"No the other guy who calls Smirnov out of the blue. Yeah it's me. Can you put Jack on the line, please?"
He taps out a staccato ratatattat on the desk as he waits, impatient energy dispersed harmlessly into jittery movement.

There's a shuffling sound on the other line. "This is Smirnov."

Obscurejones
2012-10-30, 04:33 PM
Alright, I got a weird one for you. Any idea why someone going by J would be trying to invite me to secret meetings of do gooders?

horus42
2012-10-30, 09:05 PM
Alright, I got a weird one for you. Any idea why someone going by J would be trying to invite me to secret meetings of do gooders?

"No idea. I'll look into it, though."

Obscurejones
2012-10-30, 09:16 PM
"Alright. You look. I'm going to check out their little club. If it's a trap it's likely nothing I can't smash out of. Let me know when you find anything."

Tuesday at 11:30 pm, 417 E Baker St

Walking between the two debaters John raps on the door. Turns back towards the other invitees.
"... Y'all cousins?"

Rhyvurg
2012-10-30, 10:26 PM
"So, party of three. You got a smoke?"

Obscurejones
2012-10-30, 10:33 PM
Digging through his pockets John pulls out a pack of coffin nails and holds it out to the giant.
"Where you from? And or what do they feed you? Is it cattle? Whole cattle?"

Maugan Ra
2012-10-30, 10:36 PM
Adam snorts. "They feed him intravenously. With a damn tube... or they did for a while."

He leans back against the wall. "Name's Adam. From Galatia." he says wryly, knowing perfectly well that the country hasn't existed in close to a century now.

Rhyvurg
2012-10-30, 11:40 PM
"Never heard of it."

Obscurejones
2012-10-30, 11:54 PM
"It's an anachronism. It's either a joke or a sign that he's older than he looks by a sight or two."

Maugan Ra
2012-10-30, 11:56 PM
"Not surprised. The Meruvians conquered us a good... hundred and twelve years ago now, I think. I was assigned to the invading army." he says calmly, producing his own packet of smokes with a deft gesture and lightning one up.

"My employers..." he says, exhaling a thin stream of smoke, "are kinda a bunch of bastards like that."

He glances at the relative newcomer with his glittering red eyes. "So yeah. Old. What's your story?"

Obscurejones
2012-10-31, 12:01 AM
"Young. Throw a decent punch. Don't like the kind of people you're describing."
Fishing a smoke out of the pack in the cyborg's hand he lets it hang from the corner of his mouth.
"Got a light old man?"

Maugan Ra
2012-10-31, 12:19 AM
Adam produces an antique lighter from the pockets of his coat, triggering it and holding it up to the other man's smoke.

"I don't like them much either, but I still work for them. Way of the world." he says, voice heavy with cynicism. "Which is one of the reason's I'm curious about this damned note. There is precisely one 'J' I'd trust to know me well enough to trust me, and still have the power to change any damn thing about this city or the world. And she's... not really in a position to do very much nowadays."

Rhyvurg
2012-10-31, 01:59 AM
Homer takes one for himself, the lighter illuminating...nothing on his face, as if his skin did just devoured light.

horus42
2012-10-31, 09:17 PM
The door opens, and a woman's head pokes out.

"You three are late."

Maugan Ra
2012-10-31, 09:24 PM
Adam removes the smoke from his mouth and looks at the woman steadily. "I am precisely on time, ma'am." he says calmly. "So let's all go inside and you can explain why you'd do something quite so daft as message a Sidereal with talk of changing the status quo."

horus42
2012-10-31, 09:31 PM
She smiles, and opens the door.

"I know very well who you are, Adam. I know all of you. Almost as if I work for a Bureau which manages Fate, or something..."

Maugan Ra
2012-10-31, 09:39 PM
Adan's eyes widen in momentary surprise. "Well. That might very well change a few things." he says slowly, before stepping inside the building. "A proper introduction might be nice, though. Level the information gradient a little."

Rhyvurg
2012-10-31, 11:30 PM
Homer stands there silently, waiting for this broad to get to the point.

Obscurejones
2012-11-01, 12:51 AM
John moves to duck past the woman and get a look around the interior.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-01, 01:08 AM
Adam glances at the other two and sighs. "Right. Explanations, I suppose. Like I said earlier, I'm a Sidereal. You know all those conspiracy theories you hear, about how the Government is secretly controlling everybody's lives, manipulating entire populations like so many puppets, for some grand and sinister purpose? " he says slowly, evidently piecing together the facts in his mind. "They're basically right. It's people like me that pull the strings, maintain the conspiracy, that sort of thing. Though we work for people a damn sight bigger than the Meruvian government."

From his pocket, he produces a badge of identification - Adam Johnson, Senior Investigator, Meruvian Department of Intelligence.

"I work in the MDI right now, but broadly speaking, I'm what we call a Chosen of Battles. We're responsible for managing just about every act of planned violence in history, making sure they turn out like they're supposed to." he extinguishes the smoke, an odd look in his eyes. "Purely as an example... the nuclear attack on Chiascuro? That was us."

He shrugs. "So whatever the lady here has to say, you can at least be sure she's worth listening to."

horus42
2012-11-01, 08:50 PM
She sighs, and ushers all of you inside. "Well first off, my name's Janet. And Adam basically has it right. I'm a Sidereal as well, Chosen of Journeys. I set people along their destined paths. And you three..." She pauses. "Are destined to change the world. But you start small, here in Crane Bay."

Rhyvurg
2012-11-01, 08:57 PM
"Can't change the world. Sometimes things are just rotten to the core and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

horus42
2012-11-01, 09:00 PM
"Can't change the world. Sometimes things are just rotten to the core and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

"You're partially right. The world is rotten. But it's only fifty people who've manipulated things to make it that way. And they can be stopped."

Obscurejones
2012-11-01, 09:03 PM
Alright, schizophrenic conspiracy theorist, central intelligence and shadowy giant. I'll just be going then.
Making sure not to have his back to the nice crazy people, John starts to edge back towards the door.

horus42
2012-11-01, 09:05 PM
Alright, schizophrenic conspiracy theorist, central intelligence and shadowy giant. I'll just be going then.
Making sure not to have his back to the nice crazy people, John starts to edge back towards the door.

"You can leave if you'd like, John. But then you'll never find out who killed your dear Natalie."

Obscurejones
2012-11-01, 09:32 PM
Stopping just inside the door he self consciously rubs the scar on his wrist. Turns back to the group. Glares.
...You've got ten minutes. And if you said that with nothing to back it up I'll make sure you regret it.

horus42
2012-11-01, 10:09 PM
Stopping just inside the door he self consciously rubs the scar on his wrist. Turns back to the group. Glares.
...You've got ten minutes. And if you said that with nothing to back it up I'll make sure you regret it.

"As a Sidereal Exalt, there are lots of things that fall through the cracks that we can find out. We can look into Fate itself, and find the answers to nearly any question."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 08:46 AM
Adam snorts slightly. "A bit more blatant than I usually go for, but yeah."

He looks back over at the third member of their little group. "Her full name, and cause of death. Give us those, and we can find out who was directly responsible inside of a minute. Can probably find out where they are, as well." he says simply.

horus42
2012-11-04, 01:49 PM
"Of course, that is only if you're interested, John. You're still free to leave, and find out for yourself."

Obscurejones
2012-11-04, 02:17 PM
"...I'll stick around. For now. What do you want with us?"

horus42
2012-11-05, 04:21 PM
"...I'll stick around. For now. What do you want with us?"

"It's not me that wants you. It's Fate. I'm simply giving you a push. And the first thing you're destined to do, in order to build your global reputation, before you can change the world, is take down Albert Capstone, the infamous Mafia Don."

Rhyvurg
2012-11-05, 08:38 PM
"Oh is that all?"

Obscurejones
2012-11-05, 09:47 PM
I'm with the giant. That just sounds like a lengthy afternoon. Are we okay with just beating his skull in?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-05, 11:09 PM
Adam pinches the bridge of his nose, as though staving off a headache. "Please, Janet, don't use the fate excuse with me. We both know perfectly well that this isn't an official assignment." he says wearily. "You're trying to spin the threads so that things end up better. I appreciate that. But you need to provide some sort of damn details about this sort of thing... reasons why we should go after a Mafia don, beyond your say-so."

He looks up at her, red eyes flat and unamused. "For one thing, I get the distinct impression he's protected by the higher-ups, or you wouldn't be trying to use outside parties to dispose of him. There are consequences for crossing them."

horus42
2012-11-07, 03:10 PM
Adam pinches the bridge of his nose, as though staving off a headache. "Please, Janet, don't use the fate excuse with me. We both know perfectly well that this isn't an official assignment." he says wearily. "You're trying to spin the threads so that things end up better. I appreciate that. But you need to provide some sort of damn details about this sort of thing... reasons why we should go after a Mafia don, beyond your say-so."

He looks up at her, red eyes flat and unamused. "For one thing, I get the distinct impression he's protected by the higher-ups, or you wouldn't be trying to use outside parties to dispose of him. There are consequences for crossing them."

"Oh, don't try to pull that with me, Adam. You know as well as I do that the Higher-Ups are usurpers. True, Capstone is protected by the Infernals, but they're the ones who have no right to say what is and isn't destined."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 03:30 PM
"Have you thought about this? About the damned consequences?" Adam says flatly. "It's not just the Infernals. It's the Lunars, the demons, the fallen Sidereals, the thrice-damned Yozi."

"You want to pit three people against all of that, for the sake of one whacking a single Don, because you've decided that the rulers of the bloody world don't have the right to do what they do?" There is anger in his voice now, understated but still present.

"What will it accomplish? What possible good could come of this, other than our own painful deaths as the Infernals use us as an example? Tell me you have a plan, one that could work, or I swear I will cut you down before you get everyone else killed."

horus42
2012-11-07, 03:38 PM
"This is just the beginning. You think you're the only pieces in play here? Don't be so arrogant. I'm not pulling the strings either, I'm simply doing my part. The Solars have returned, Adam. This is going to build into a full-scale revolt against the Infernals, AND the Yozi. We're rescuing Sol and the Maidens. Luna and Gaia. Autocthon. Everyone. And taking the war to Malfeas himself, if it comes to that." She sighs. "It's starting off small. But it's going to get a Hell of a lot bigger than just this city or Albert Capstone."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 04:02 PM
Adam takes half a step backwards, as though the woman in front of him had just slapped him.

"Then... the old man..."

His shoulders begin to shake with laughter, and his face splits into a wide smile. "We're really doing this? We're really going to make this work? Oh... oh hell yes. I am most definitely in. For this... this is worth taking a risk for." he says, softly, but there is definite joy in his expression.

"So. I take it we know where Capstone is, then?" he says, having calmed down a bit. He glances at the other two. "Oh, and you might as well ask any damn questions you want here. After a declaration like that, well, it seems pointless to try keeping any more secrets. I'll answer anything I can on the way to cutting the Don's head off."

Rhyvurg
2012-11-08, 08:02 PM
"Yeah. Who the hell are all those people you just named?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-08, 09:29 PM
Adam stares at the big guy for a few moments, then chuckles slightly. "Of course, I keep forgetting you'd have no idea about any of this. Right, how to explain it without sounding too insane..."

"There was a war, long time ago. Mortals and gods versus... well, the term is 'Priomordials', but that doesn't really describe it properly. Against the creators of everything, for the right to live our lives how we chose. For the right to be more than slaves." he says, evidently sorting it all out in his mind as he goes. "Malfeas was... is, I suppose, the leader of the Primordials. He is the brass city, and the tyrant that rules it, and the radioactive sun overhead. Not so much a distinct individual as a sentient landscape. Nasty bastard. Everyone who's ever gotten cancer or died at the hands of a nuke can pretty much thank him for it."

"Every last one of the Primordials is like that. And you can't fight a war against things like that without some serious firepower of your own. Some allies. Gaia and Autocthon are both Primordials as well, respectively the embodiments of nature and technology, and they sided with us. Sol, the god of the Sun and of Heroism, lead the fight, backed by the Maidens of Fate and championed by the Exalted."

He grins humourlessly. "You know the Dragon-Blood? How the official story is they're made by secret weapon programs and good old scientific know how? Yeah, that's horse****. They're exalted, created by Gaia originally, to serve in the war. Sol and Luna contributed their own variants, as did the Maidens." he nods to Janet. "Me and the lady here are Sidereals, like we said, chosen of the Maidens of Fate."

"So, a war. And, long story short, we lost. About fifty of the Exalted, the strongest of the bunch, got corrupted by the enemy and became what we call the Infernals. They betrayed... well, everybody, and in exchange got their hands on nigh-limitless power and the right to rule the world from behind the scenes. Everyone else either bent the knee or died." he grimaced. "Which is, incidentally, why I'm working for people I despise to this day."

"The gods fled or were imprisoned. I know the Infernals have got Authcthon bound up somewhere, and they've spent the last few centuries digging valuable materials out of his flesh while he screams." he nods to Homer. "That's where the Soulsteel in your body comes from."

He sits back, a grim smile on his face. "So yeah. Gods, primordial beings, a war at the dawn of time and all sorts of mythological crap." he snorts. "If you're going to call me insane and run for the door, might as well do it now. I ain't got the patience to deal with crap like that."

Rhyvurg
2012-11-08, 10:57 PM
"Right. I'm sure you guys will have fun with your crazy-people club, but I got stuff to do."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-08, 11:08 PM
Adam shrugs. "Suit yourself, big guy." he says calmly. "I'm sure whatever they've got you doing at the precinct is better than this. What's it this week? Throwing the homeless out onto the streets? Making sure industrial protestors disappear? Collecting bribes from the factory bosses?"

"Even if I'm a nut... and I might be, for all you know, I get that... I'm still going to be hunting down a mob boss. And everyone else responsible for making this city the cesspit it is today. You sure you want to turn your back on that?"

Obscurejones
2012-11-08, 11:58 PM
"...They're loony tunes. But they're loonies with the address of one of the guys making it hard for little old ladies to cross the street at night and all that good stuff. You can be crazy all you want. Just point me at the head that needs bashing in."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-21, 07:16 AM
Adam raises an eyebrow. "Really. A man willing to just... do the right thing. In Crane Bay." he grins. "Gotta say, never thought I'd see the day."

Just a quick kick-start again, since our ST is apparently around once more. Slightly surprised Homer hasn't taken issue with that last comment...

Rhyvurg
2012-11-21, 08:27 AM
"Fine, if it will make you happy, I'll kill him. And the precinct doesn't ask me to do stuff like that...the boss does."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-21, 08:34 AM
"And you've what, convinced yourself that the two are separate? That's cute." Adam chuckles.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-21, 03:09 PM
"The boss has nothing to do with the cops."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-21, 11:03 PM
"Of course he does. They have something to do with everything." Adam shakes his head. "You heard the lady - fifty people, no more, ruling pretty much everything. And it doesn't matter what kind of personal power you have, fifty people can't control everything directly. They need a system."

"All that corruption, all that depressing inertia, that's their doing. When you arrest a serial killer, and he gets off because of a technicality, it's because they wrote it into law. When two countries get stuck in an endless, grinding war that brings misery to everyone, it's because they ordered it. You really think your precious precinct is immune to being bought and controlled?"

He pauses. "But hey, maybe it is. Maybe you've found the one collection of good, uncorrupted cops in this country. You can be sure that people like your boss, well, they only allow it to stay that way as long as it doesn't inconvenience them. When it does, they'll change the situation, and no one will object... for pretty much the same reason you don't object to the orders they give you."

Rhyvurg
2012-11-21, 11:06 PM
"Do you have some kind of point to make, Tiny?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-21, 11:24 PM
Adam grins. "Hit a nerve did I, big guy? Don't want to admit that in the end, all you ever achieved was to be a puppet on the strings of those bigger than you?"

He shrugs. "Might as well accept it. The rest of us have to."

Obscurejones
2012-11-22, 12:27 PM
"...You are a unpleasant individual, you know that?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-23, 12:43 AM
"It's a popular belief. Personally, I think I'm entitled - there's gotta be some benefits to being older than most grandparents." Adam shrugs. "Now, like I said earlier. Name and ideally method of death for this 'Natalie' of yours, and we can find out who was responsible. Then you can go get bloody revenge or whatever."

Obscurejones
2012-11-23, 09:01 PM
It can wait till you've shown me you've got the juice to back that up. Let's squash this capo and then work on my troubles.

horus42
2012-11-24, 10:45 AM
Janet shrugs. "You two don't have to believe us. Though I'm sure once you've seen some of the things that we have... you will." She trails off, before starting up again. "At any rate, the fact still remains that we can do some good together. I'm assuming you'll want a bit of time to prepare?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-24, 10:49 AM
"Nope." Adam says with a grin. "Got weapons, got my bike nearby, and can have a target location in a moment. I've been wanting to do something like this for years. Not going to wait around now."

Rhyvurg
2012-11-24, 02:53 PM
"That may be, but some of us would like to know where to find this guy."

Obscurejones
2012-11-24, 09:27 PM
I had assumed our benevolent schizophrenic puppetmasters would lead the way.

horus42
2012-11-25, 08:53 PM
"Adam, would you do the honors?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-26, 06:26 AM
"If you insist."

The Sidereal makes a complicated little gesture with his hand, then holds one arm out in front of him. From within the sleeves of his coat, a tiny green spider seemingly made out of glittering crystal scurries up his arm to perch on his hand, chittering softly to itself.

"Where is Albert Capstone, right now?" Adam says softly to it. The spider makes a little nodding motion, then vanishes in a flash of light. A few heartbeats later it returns, and scurries up his arm to perch on one shoulder, where it whispers something in his ear.

horus42
2012-11-27, 02:18 PM
The spider responds with an address. "4756 S 89th St."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 02:52 PM
Adam repeats the address to the others, nodding in satisfaction. "Right. Well, I'm off to go murder a mob boss. If you gents want to come along and help out, it's up to you. A distraction is always a useful thing to have around. Who knows, you might even be able to turn up evidence going through his things to make this vaguely legal."

The little spider dissolves again, and the Sidereal walks off towards the door, humming happily to himself.

Obscurejones
2012-11-27, 03:57 PM
With a shrug John shoves his hands in the pockets of his overcoat and pads after Adam. As they hit the door he whistles a little happy tune to himself, pausing only to speak.
"Neat trick with the spider. Sleight of hand?"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 04:59 PM
"I prefer 'bull**** magic trick' myself. Speaking of which, what's up with you?" Adam glances at the PI as they walk. "Way I figure it, either you crossed Janet at some point so she sets you up on this to get you killed... or you ain't any more of a regular joe than us."

"And please don't pull any mysterious 'that's for me to know' crap, or I'll have to resort to the spider again. And I'm told that's rude,. Plus, you know, it's fanatastically easy to abuse as it is."

Obscurejones
2012-11-27, 05:36 PM
"Me? Just your average wrong side of the straight and narrow type. Do some wetwork for a friend on the local force. Nothing special to it. Just some minor rage issues that like to express themselves upside the head of the odd moll beating gangster."
A shrug loops its way out through John's shoulders and a subtle grin just this side of a smirk settles into his face.
"And I'm quick on my feet. That's about it."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 06:28 PM
"That is so much crap I'm amazed your innards are still intact." Adam says dryly. "But all right, if that's how you want to play it. Now, there going to be any of those moral questions if I just walk on in there and start stabbing people? Because those get real tiring after the first dozen times. "

He pauses. "Come to think of it, any expressed preference for a different plan? I can do stealthy too, if needs be - I hear some folks consider going up against a bunch of mobsters with naught but an oversized knife to be kinda dumb."

Obscurejones
2012-11-27, 06:48 PM
Heh. Not much of a hider. I can break into a joint if push comes to shove, but I never caught the knack for being anything but loud.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-27, 07:14 PM
"You're going to walk in there with a blade and, what, challenge them to a fight? You're bringing the wrong toys to this party." Homer walks over to where he parked his bike.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 08:35 PM
"Challenges are for idiots. No, I'm going to turn invisible, maybe kick down the wall, and then stab them all in the heart before they realise what's going on." Adam says, utterly deadpan. "You're welcome to take notes if you like."

He mounts and starts up his own bike, cricking his neck briefly. "OK. Time to do this."

And here, I think, would be a good point to skip to us arriving at the address. I'd quite like a proper description of the place once we get there... and when we are there, Adam is going to use Efficient Secretary Technique to work out which room of the building Capstone is in.

Then violence will ensue. And it shall be glorious.

horus42
2012-11-29, 12:31 AM
(Sounds fair to me.)

The building is an upscale hotel, the kind of place that a gangster would stay at when he's avoiding the missus. It bears all the extravagance of Crane Bay's upper class, and all the signs of corruption that comes with it. There's a doorman, who's probably armed, though with a mundane, cursory glance, none of you are sure.

Obscurejones
2012-11-29, 12:49 AM
Skidding to a stop alongside the motorcycles, John takes a moment to check his heartrate and size up the doorman.
"...So we going in fast and loud? Because if so I need to put on my game face."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 12:53 AM
Having parked his bike, Adam looks over the rather fancy building and smiles faintly. "Nice place. Lots of windows, not especially sturdy looking walls. And not going to keep me out for a second. He's in room [whatever answer I got from the google-spider]. I'll see you gents there. Give me, oh, twenty seconds?"

With that, the Sidereal begins walking along the sidewalk, very casually, hands in his pockets. There's nothing even remotely unusual about him at all, right up until he disappears. It happens quite suddenly - the Sidereal alters direction, stepping out into the road, and just... isn't there anymore. He is, apparently, completely invisible.

Activating 'Walking outside Fate'.
Personal: 11/16
Peripheral: 31/36 (5 committed)
Willpower: 9/10)

Hidden behind the weave of fate, Adam takes a few short steps as a run-up, and launches himself up into the sky. He lands on the windowsill of a level about halfway up the hotel wall, silent as a cat and as keen-gripped as a spider. Then, destination fixed firmly in mind, he begins scuttling along the wall until he reaches the window that most accurately corresponds to where he knows the mob-boss to be.

Still hidden, he peers through the glass, searching for a target.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-29, 05:15 AM
"No sense waiting." The trench coat and fedora fall to the sidewalk, and Homer stretches out all of his arms. A large, sinister-looking automatic extends from his lower right hand, the inside of the barrel glowing a subtle red. His lower left forearm opens and changes shape in a series of metallic clangs and hisses, re configuring into a massive, 3-magazine tommy gun. His upper right arm grows into twin barrels that end in a stylized soulsteel skull, it's mouth wide as if it's spitting the bullets at you. His upper left simply forms into a tube, but it extends out with an ear-splitting screeeetch-CLANG into a rifle that looks like it would break the arms of a normal man should he try to lift it. As this walking arsenal completes, a cloud of ash and smoke rises behind the machine-man, taking the shape of a police badge. Without pausing for comment, he levels the shotgun at the doors and fires.

Spending 22 motes to deploy arsenal, anima to full totemic glory.
Reaping Shellcaster!
[roll0]
Damage equals successes +9

Obscurejones
2012-11-29, 03:36 PM
In contrast to the unfolding metal arsenal beside him, John takes a deep breath and a moment to draw inward. Closing his eyes, he rolls up his right sleeve, clenching the fist slowly. His weight shifts from foot to foot, slowly at first, then faster and faster until the frantic build up of energy has him bouncing in place. When he opens his eyes a hint of a flame can almost be seen behind them.
"Right. You want point?"
Activating Infernal Monster Form with Inexplicable Lunar Wonders, 8 motes from personal.

horus42
2012-11-29, 08:25 PM
Adam, you see a group of men and women sitting around in huge armchairs, smoking cigars and drinking. Capstone stands out, you've seen his wanted posters. A rather heavyset man with short greying hair, and a scar over his eye.

(Back to the others)

The doorman jumps aside and draws a pistol as the door is blasted apart.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 08:49 PM
Adam smiles to himself, and draws the sword belted at his hip. It's a precarious position for a moment, clinging to the wall of the hotel, until he sinks the Starmetal blade into the wall directly over the window and uses that as an anchor point.

Hands set firmly on the hilt of the sword, he hauls himself up into a crude handstand atop of it, before allowing his balance to shift and swing him around towards the window, feet first. At the last second, he kicks out and shatters the window, tearing the sword free as he rolls inside.

From the perspective of Albert Capstone and his companions, the day must have fallen apart very quickly. Even as the sounds of gunfire from below reached their ears, the window of their room shattered and a lean, slightly battered looking man with red eyes was in there with them. Adam didn't give them so much as a second to recover.

Basically stunting my way in through the window, and allowing Walking Outside Fate to lapse. I could keep it up, but for dramatic purposes this works as well.

Joining Battle, using Secrets of Future Strife to get four of my dice as automatic successes. Rolling the last one: [roll0].
Let's murder everything.

Rhyvurg
2012-11-29, 08:58 PM
Homer walks past him. "Put the piece down and go home, you'll live longer." Mortal bullets meant nothing to him. He enters the lobby, kicking a chunk of door frame out of the way. He walks over to the front desk. "I'm here for the mob guys, not the hotel staff. Spread the word, if you stay out of the way, you get to live."

Obscurejones
2012-11-30, 02:12 AM
"Sit down, son. The tank won't blink to see you dead. I'd blink. But I don't mind blinking."
Slipping along in the shadow of the mountain of mechanized death John looks round for suitably mooky mooks to de-upright and healthy.

horus42
2012-12-03, 05:58 PM
The doorman drops his gun and runs for his life. The woman at the front desk nods and ducks behind.

As for Adam, there are six other people besides Capstone in the room.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-04, 02:06 AM
OK, well, I joined battle, but I'll assume this is a surprise round then. Which considering I just kicked in the window, is believable enough.

Seven targets. All of them most likely armed, or at the very least capable of running for help. In all probability, there would be guards outside as well. And against that, there was precisely one man, armed with a sword. Not, for most people, good odds.

The Sidereal smiled. And then the killing started.

The air seemed to shimmer, and just for a moment, there were five assailants in the room, rather than just one, all overlapping and moving through each other like a badly constructed piece of film editing. Two of them lunged for seated figures on either side, glittering swords sliding into chests and through the chairs behind them before pulling free with harsh tearing sounds. Two moved almost straight forwards, glittering arcs of Starmetal tracing paths through the exposed throats of another pair of gangsters.

And one... one moves straight forwards, the curved sword in his hand heading straight for Albert Capstone. Straight for his heart.

OK, activating Harmony of Blows to make five Melee attacks against five separate targets, namely Capstone and four other dudes. I'll also trigger the Fateful Melee Excellency on the attack against Capstone. Remembering, of course, that these guys have a DV of 0 if they're surprised. Base damage is going to be 10L, plus any excess attack successes.
Enemy 1: [roll0]
Enemy 2: [roll1]
Enemy 3: [roll2]
Enemy 4: [roll3]

And spending four motes and a willpower to covert all the dice on the attack against Capstone into successes, for seventeen successes. I'll still have to roll damage on this or any of the other attacks that hit, but it should damn well hurt.

Personal Motes: 7/16
Peripheral motes: 31/36 (5 committed)
Willpower: 8/10

Rhyvurg
2012-12-05, 05:25 AM
Homer marches to the elevator.

horus42
2012-12-05, 12:35 PM
Four of the gangsters fall, dead. Capstone himself receives a blow to the chest, and blinks, the sword protruding from his heart. "Not bad, Sidereal. Unexpected, but still impressive."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 01:02 PM
"Ah, bollocks." Adam says softly, tugging the sword free and studying the gangster in front of him. "Why can I never have decent intel on the target? You'd think they didn't want me to succeed."

He sighs, and then smiles slightly. "I take it I'm about to regret this immensely?"

horus42
2012-12-05, 01:13 PM
With a heavy sigh, Capstone says, "I'm new to this whole "Exalted" gig, and I could use a man of your talents. I'm willing to forgive this little "incident" if you'll agree to work for me."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 01:26 PM
Adam shakes his head. "Not really an option as things stand, I'm afraid. Call it professional pride - what kind of hired gun would I be if I just gave up at the first hurdle? Right now, I'm pretty sure I can still kill you. It'll just take longer." he settles back into a fighting stance, sword held ready, prepared to move the moment Capstone went for a weapon. "If you can change that perception, then maybe we'll talk."

horus42
2012-12-05, 01:31 PM
Capstone seems to ponder this for a moment. "Name your terms, then. This is a negotiation, after all."

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 01:37 PM
"I'm a practical man. I believe what I see, and not much more. So really, the only way you could convince me that I can't kill you... would be to survive. Best of luck." Adam said with a savage smile, then moved to the attack again.

Not sure if I should keep going here... I mean, I'm pretty sure he's going to try and fight back, which would require a Join Battle score (I have four successes), and I don't know if he's faster than I am.

horus42
2012-12-05, 01:41 PM
Oh, I was giving you an opportunity to maybe sort of... collect him, I suppose. Turn him into an ally, rather than an enemy. Since he's a newly Exalted Infernal, he hasn't been totally indoctrinated yet, though he would be more of a Token Evil Teammate than a straight-up good guy. However, it's totally up to you, and if you're wanting to fight him, then let's do it!

Obscurejones
2012-12-05, 01:46 PM
Tapping his foot impatiently while he waits for the elevator, John gives up.
"See you at the top big man. Try to get there before we run out of gangsters."
With a blur of energy he dashes over to the stairs, taking them two or three at a time as he races up to Capstone's room.

horus42
2012-12-06, 03:41 PM
John and Homer reach the Penthouse suite at nearly the same time. Both see the corpses, and Adam standing with sword drawn in front of Capstone, who has a gaping wound in his chest.

"Friends of yours?" He asks, looking quizzically at Adam.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 04:10 PM
"Something like that. Stacking the deck in our favour is sort of a tradition." Adam responds.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-06, 07:05 PM
Homer kicks the elevator doors apart rather than wait for them to open all the way. "Why haven't you killed him yet?"

horus42
2012-12-06, 10:55 PM
"He tried, my dear man. Machine? I'm not sure what to call you. But the Sidereal did manage to stick me, as you can see." He points to the wound in his chest.

"He also killed several of my best men, and I made him an offer. The two of you could take it, if he refuses."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-07, 12:19 AM
"Nobody's talking to you, dirtbag."

Obscurejones
2012-12-07, 12:27 AM
"What was the offer, pincushion?"

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 06:42 AM
"Oh, the usual. He could use talented people, and would forget all about this little incident if we agree to work for him. That sort of thing." Adam says dryly.

horus42
2012-12-07, 11:15 AM
He shrugs. "Cliched, I know. But it looks like talk isn't getting us anywhere."

Capstone grins, and pulls a shellcaster from inside his coat. "Let's settle this the old fashioned way, then."

Obscurejones
2012-12-07, 01:01 PM
"Oh right. Fighting time."
[roll0] JB of 4

Rhyvurg
2012-12-12, 01:38 PM
Join Battle!
[roll0]

horus42
2012-12-13, 01:15 PM
Right, so Adam goes first, then John, Capstone, and Homer.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 05:03 PM
Adam lunged forwards, the sword in his hand spinning in an elegant arc, light reflecting off the silvery blade to cast reflections all around the room. Except it wasn't just light... as John and Homer look on, Adam seems to split into five equal copies, each attacking in perfect coordination, even as they overlap with each-other. One smacks the gangster's gun out of his hands, two more duck low and slice at his hamstrings, and the final pair circle round and impale their target from two directions at once.

Firing Harmony of Blows again, paying the willpower surcharge that allows me to direct all my attacks against one target. I'll also spend another willpower point to channel Valour on this attack - thanks to Virtue Essence Replenishment, doing so means I regain 10 motes. I'm not sure if the Valour dice apply to every attack in the flurry or not, so I'll roll them separately.

First attack, going for a disarm, which means I take a -2 external penalty on this roll. Also using the Fateful excellency for 2m to reduce the target number on the dice to 5. [roll0]
The second through fifth attacks are straight Melee attacks against Capstone. Don't forget the Onslaught penalties to his DV. And each of these will also benefit from the Fateful excellency for 2m, so I'll be looking for 5's on these rolls as well.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

And the Valour channel, which is probably just applied to the disarm attempt, so looking for 5's again: [roll5]
Any any stunt bonus: [roll6]

End stats, before anything like stunt rewards:
Personal motes: 2/16
Peripheral motes: 31/36 (5 committed)
Willpower: 6/10

A moment later, and the blurring forms merged once more into the form of Adam Johnson, now on the far side of Capstone and facing away, sword dripping with blood.

horus42
2012-12-14, 10:18 AM
Capstone braces himself for the impacts, and a sickly green aura flows from him, as a solid black circle appears on his forehead. His shellcaster is knocked several feet away, and as Adam reappears on the other side, he can't even stand. He twitches feebly, but is still, for the moment, alive.

Obscurejones
2012-12-14, 12:57 PM
"Oh Goody. My turn."
Planting a foot in the floor, John twists slightly digging his weight into the wooden boards. With a gentle puff of displaced air, he soars towards Capstone, throwing down a truly ground shaking punch. The boards warp and ripple as the strike echoes through the floor. Even John's allies find their footing less stable.
"First floor! Toiletries and former capos!"
God Smashing Blow. Provided it hits everyone in 3 yards rolls against knockdown at difficulty 3. Also, provided it hits the floor suffers the damage as well. Both attacks are piercing. Attack is Speed 4.
[roll0]
Any stunt?
[roll1]

Maugan Ra
2012-12-17, 08:09 PM
As the floor ripples and surges with the impact of the hit, Adam throws his free arm out to one side and manages to stay upright, albeit only just.

"Anger management issues?" he says incredulously, looking back at John. "That's what you call that?"

Obscurejones
2012-12-17, 10:09 PM
Even as the ripples still rock the walls of the suite, John whips around on his erst while ally. It would be hard to say what gives his eye that sickly green shine. Perhaps they were always that color and you simply never noticed.
"You calling me a liar?"

horus42
2012-12-18, 08:29 AM
We'll go ahead and make John's last action a one die stunt.

Capstone is forced through the floor, which buckles and bursts beneath the force of John's blow. The people in the room below scream and run out of the way as he crashes through a table and lands on their floor. He doesn't move again once he hits the floor, but without a closer look, none of you can tell if he's dead, or simply unconscious.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-18, 02:07 PM
"Kid, you just punched a man through the floor. You still think you're a regular guy, you're living in hilarious levels of denial. But hey, your call."

Adam peers down the hole at Capstone. "Eh. Homer, big guy, you're up. I'd prefer not to leave until we're pretty sure he's dead, and you appear to be carrying more guns than a small precinct."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-19, 02:15 PM
Homer walks over, not caring about the floor around the hole groaning onimously under his weight. Dropping down, Homer places the barrels of the behemoth heartpiercer against his head, the reaping shellcaster over his heart, the steel rain caster over his liver, and his shellcaster sidearm over his testicles. "You guys might want to look away..." He pulls all four triggers at once.

horus42
2012-12-19, 05:41 PM
Capstone's body, no longer powered by his Exaltation, explodes in a shower of gore.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-19, 05:50 PM
Adam winces. "OK. Shooting him in the balls? Kinda unnecessary."

He shrugs and looks around at the devastation. "Well. I'm getting out of here. Cops will probably be on their way soon, not to mention any number of hoods interested in avenging their old boss. You boys manage to avoid being arrested over the next... oh, call it 48 hours, and we'll see about meeting up again. Don't worry, I'll find you. Might even break you out of a cell, if I'm feeling especially generous."

With that, he turns and walks towards the door of the room, before sharply turning as though going around a street corner. And just like that, he vanishes into thin air.

Thanks to any stunt from the combat, I ought to still have enough to activate Walking Outside Fate without doing much to my peripheral essence pool. So, activating it, and then jumping back out the window, and not deactivating the charm until I'm several blocks away at least.

Rhyvurg
2012-12-19, 08:16 PM
Homer's arsenal retracts into nonspace, and he pulls his coat around himself again. "You don't have to stay, I'm technically a cop so I probably won;t be arrested."

Obscurejones
2012-12-19, 10:23 PM
"I'm decidedly not a cop. So I'll hit the ol' dusty trail. See you at the next slaying?"
As he speaks John heads for the window, crouching with half his body swung out into open air.

horus42
2012-12-20, 10:44 PM
Alright, so you all leave the hotel, is there anywhere in particular you go?

Rhyvurg
2012-12-20, 11:19 PM
Homer heads for the elevator to wait for whomever comes to investigate first.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 12:03 AM
Adam just heads home, only abandoning the invisibility once he's there. Then he intends to lay low for a couple of days - he did, after all, just publicly murder an Infernal mob boss, even if no surviving witnesses (aside from his accomplices) saw him do it. And Arcane Fate will help against those who somehow did.

Obscurejones
2012-12-21, 01:40 AM
John returns to his apartment. Has a chat with his neighbors. Rests.

horus42
2012-12-27, 11:23 PM
The police arrive on the scene about half an hour later. One of the officers sees Homer, and walks up to him. "Oh, thank God you're already here. Any ideas as to what happened yet?"

Rhyvurg
2012-12-28, 03:12 AM
"Someone cut the mob guys to pieces, when I got here their boss pulled a weapon and I returned fire. There's pieces of him all over the room below. Whatever happened to his guys must have spooked him good."

horus42
2012-12-30, 05:15 PM
He wrinkles his nose. "Sounds awful. Well, we'll still go up and have a look, see if whoever killed the goons left any traces."

Rhyvurg
2012-12-30, 09:02 PM
"Good luck, it's a slaughterhouse in here." Homer leaves the scene, returning to the original meeting place.

horus42
2012-12-31, 12:20 PM
Over the course of the next few days, each of you receives another note from Janet.

"Well done, all of you. The police suspect nothing, though the Higher-Ups are looking into it. Keep an eye out in the meantime, and I'll contact you again soon."

Obscurejones
2013-01-02, 04:02 PM
"And kindly sit on your hands until then. Helpful. Time to hit the gym I suppose."
Heading out of his apartment John nods to Rabbi Aaronson.
"No, he seemed quite nice for a golem.... Well I don't... I'll be sure to ask him to stop by next time I see him."
Hitting the streets at a brisk pace he tucks his coat close and walks down two blocks and up one cross street to his gym. Gets to work on the heavy bag, tucking in for a few hours.

horus42
2013-01-03, 10:06 AM
A few more days pass, in which nothing really happens, besides news coverage of Capstone's death. Eventually, however, a new message from Janet arrives.

"Meet me where we met before, tonight at 8. I'll explain everything in person."

Maugan Ra
2013-01-03, 11:47 AM
Five minutes before eight, and Adam is outside the previous meeting place, leaning casually back against the wall like a man without a care in the world. A tiny green spider crawls over his arms and occasionally hops up onto his shoulder, like some form of bizarre pet.

And over those days, Adam will use Efficient Secretary Technique to investigate who was responsible for burning down John's house. It's really cheap, and I have enough time and regenerating essence to fire the damn thing dozens of times on refining the questions.

horus42
2013-01-03, 05:30 PM
Five minutes before eight, and Adam is outside the previous meeting place, leaning casually back against the wall like a man without a care in the world. A tiny green spider crawls over his arms and occasionally hops up onto his shoulder, like some form of bizarre pet.

And over those days, Adam will use Efficient Secretary Technique to investigate who was responsible for burning down John's house. It's really cheap, and I have enough time and regenerating essence to fire the damn thing dozens of times on refining the questions.

Natalie's killer's name is Julio Ubilla, a Delzhani immigrant who got caught up in Mob activity.

Rhyvurg
2013-01-08, 03:34 AM
Homer parks his bike right outside the place, not bothering with caution now. If they wanted him dead they'd have done it by now.

horus42
2013-01-08, 10:00 AM
Janet pokes her head out the door. "Oh, the two of you are here... Go ahead and come in, while we wait for John."

Maugan Ra
2013-01-08, 10:21 AM
Adam nods, the small spider vanishing into thin air as he heads on into the house.

"So. You managed to avoid getting arrested, huh? I'm surprised."

Obscurejones
2013-01-08, 10:45 AM
John jumps off a nearby rooftop, landing with a slight grunt. Nods to Janet as he follows the others in.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-08, 10:50 AM
The Sidereal glances at John. "Julio Ubilla. A Delzhani immigrant. He's the one who started the fire that killed Natalie." he says in a level voice. "Try not to get caught."

horus42
2013-01-08, 10:52 AM
"Wow, speak of the devil and he shall appear..." She trailed off as she led you three inside. Right, let's get down to business, shall we? As was predicted, killing Capstone didn't put an end to organized crime in Crane Bay. All we did was cause a power vacuum, with loads of minor mob bosses trying to fill Capstone's shoes. Our mission is to destabilize the mob even further, either by eliminating these new bosses, or by infiltrating and sowing more discord, so that they kill each other off."

Maugan Ra
2013-01-08, 10:59 AM
"Why?" Adam asks with a raised eyebrow, as he leans back against the nearest wall. "Capstone, sure, he was an Infernal, so going for him makes all sorts of hilarious problems for the bastards. These new guys, though... they're not Yozi-****ers. Just regular folks out to make a living by extorting it from their fellow man."

He lights up a cigarette and takes a drag. "Why in the hell should I be getting involved in mob power struggles? I ain't a bloody vigilante."

horus42
2013-01-08, 11:04 AM
She shrugs. "That's a good question. I wasn't told, and every attempt to find an answer was blocked. In my opinion, it's something we should look into before we just blindly follow orders."

Rhyvurg
2013-01-09, 02:09 PM
"I don't think I'd do well trying to infiltrate anything."

horus42
2013-01-09, 02:14 PM
"Exactly! Something is very wrong. It's possible my orders were intercepted and changed en route. Nothing about this makes any sense."

Obscurejones
2013-01-09, 04:23 PM
"So we follow the chain up and find the weak link. Assuming it's not you, miss."

Maugan Ra
2013-01-09, 04:25 PM
Adam's eyes narrow. "You thought we might be compromised... and you still arranged a meeting with all of us in the same damn place as last time?"

Swiftly, he moves over to the window and pulls the curtain slightly aside, peering out into the street.

horus42
2013-01-09, 08:28 PM
"I assure you, John. It's not me." With that, she turns to Adam. "Relax, Adam. I took precautions to make sure we couldn't be detected here."

Rhyvurg
2013-01-10, 03:17 AM
"Just like there are precautions to make sure you get the right messages?"

horus42
2013-01-10, 09:55 AM
She frowns. "I understand that you're not willing to trust me right now. That's fine. If you're all so worried, then go home. I'll arrange a new meeting place."

Obscurejones
2013-01-10, 01:28 PM
"I don't think you're grasping the significance, miss. You had us kill a guy. And then, one of the first things you say at the next meeting is that you've been compromised. It's not the venue we don't trust anymore. It's you."

horus42
2013-01-10, 01:48 PM
She looks pleadingly at Adam. "Ask the Pattern Spiders if I'm a traitor. Prove to everyone that I'm on your side. Please..."

Maugan Ra
2013-01-10, 04:45 PM
Adam pinches the bridge of his nose, as though staving off a headache. "Doesn't work like that. The Spiders are good for empirical facts - how I found out the identity of that arsonist - not so much for subjective things like loyalty."

After a moment, he shrugs. "In any case, if we have been betrayed, not much we can do about it now. We're not dead yet, which I take as encouraging, but I'm not going all vigilante on a bunch more mob guys. Won't accomplish much, save to risk getting arrested and/or assassinated."

horus42
2013-01-10, 05:08 PM
She rolls her eyes. "You can use that charm to find out the answer to anything if you word it correctly. Ask who first issued my orders, for instance. It gives us a lead to follow."

Obscurejones
2013-01-13, 12:41 AM
"...She's got a point. And we can keep her on lock while we follow it up."

horus42
2013-01-13, 03:31 PM
Janet breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank you, John. I'll do whatever it takes to convince you three I'm on the up and up. I'll stay here while you investigate."

Obscurejones
2013-01-13, 03:41 PM
"...That's suspicious. See it's almost convincing me that you're truthful by how amazingly bad you are at reassuring. If we think you've set us up, you're not going out of our sight."

horus42
2013-01-13, 03:47 PM
"Fair enough. I just misunderstood what you meant by "keep me on lock". I don't blame you for not trusting me, but I know I have nothing to hide, so I'll cooperate."

Rhyvurg
2013-01-22, 11:10 PM
"So are you going to ask the magic bugs a question or not?"