PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to help making a Scientist class?

invinible
2012-10-28, 01:42 PM
I originally was just going to use this as another class idea for NEStalgia but after trying to look up a Scientist class or so to base moves on, I figured this class archetype needs a overhaul across the entire rpg/shooter spectrum so it stops looking like either an over specialized class usually better fitting under a different archetype most often being fighter or an entirely different class with the Scientist label slapped on instead of taking the effort to make a true Scientist class or worst of all a class designed around a feature that is a support feature at best should it even be a feature of the class.

The way I see it a Scientist class would be 1 where the characters defining features would be based around “observing surroundings and doing experiments to better understand how stuff interacts” while giving a minimal amount of features depending on game setting to help players out when outside of their niché without beginning to step on another class's niché.

Plus I feel having 1 or more levels of the Scientist class shouldn't automatically make your character a know-it-all.

wonderfulspam
2012-10-28, 02:03 PM
There is an issue with a class like this which I (personally) have had with many of the classes especially the Rogue, but in this class it would be much more prominent. If for instance a gnome wizard second level decided to be a scientist, not unlikely, he would all of the sudden end up learning science facts from killing orcs with sorcerer spells! Also if aforementioned gnome was in a quest miles and miles from the nearest laboratory he would still learn things about science.
Don't get me wrong though I think the idea of a scientist class is brilliant. some things which should be included:

Gaining abilities like the wizard
Early knowledge of common scientific facts of the middle ages like distilling (people in some of my adventures seem to constantly want bombs to use)
Mid level knowledge of engineering, I really cant imagine a character just playing around with radioactive chemicals and such, when in all probability he/she could be doing the same thing, but instead working on his/her double barrel repeating crossbow with explosive ammunition

toapat
2012-10-28, 02:04 PM
It sounds like you want a character who is the unholy love child of the Marshal, Artificer, and PF Alchemist classes.

zzuxon
2012-10-28, 05:11 PM
Perhaps they would be skilled in the use and creation of advanced, mana-punk weapons, and have class skills that would allow them to gain vital information about enemies.

Amnoriath
2012-10-28, 06:06 PM
Well I think giving something like Bardic Knowledge except it is generally keened to structures, item, biological(?) and mechanical insight would be a good start. Then at some specified levels they can choose additional abilities for certain situations like getting an identify ability to use on items or being able bypass DR and regeneration of some creatures.

zzuxon
2012-10-30, 10:51 AM
Well I think giving something like Bardic Knowledge except it is generally keened to structures, item, biological(?) and mechanical insight would be a good start. Then at some specified levels they can choose additional abilities for certain situations like getting an identify ability to use on items or being able bypass DR and regeneration of some creatures.

That's what I was thinking too.

invinible
2012-10-30, 10:13 PM
Here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/52386952/D20-WotC-Modern-Future-Sourcebook-Blood-and-Space#page=18 is what I consider to be the correct start to how this class should be done.

necroon
2012-10-30, 11:24 PM
The Ravenloft source book Legacy of the Blood has a Scientist prestige class I've always enjoyed playing. Might be worth a look?

invinible
2012-10-31, 02:00 PM
The Ravenloft source book Legacy of the Blood has a Scientist prestige class I've always enjoyed playing. Might be worth a look?

What you are suggesting sounds more like a mockery to Bards, Clerics, and Wizards in addition to Scientists than an true Scientist class.

necroon
2012-10-31, 07:08 PM
What you are suggesting sounds more like a mockery to Bards, Clerics, and Wizards in addition to Scientists than an true Scientist class.

I'm assuming you didn't like it :smalltongue:
Different strokes I s'pose. My apologies: was just tossing out the only other instance of Sciemtest I know about from D20 sources other than the one you already mentioned.

Flasaro
2012-11-01, 01:44 PM
I think if you borrowed heavily from the archivist, gave them duskblade scaling spell casting (with own unique abilities and maybe make them spell-like-abilities seeing as a true scientist doesn't cast magic they manipulate matter) and you might end up with something like an alchemist from Full Metal alchemist who all must be very intelligent to do what they do. Idk just a thought.

Vauron
2012-11-01, 03:36 PM
I think if you borrowed heavily from the archivist, gave them duskblade scaling spell casting (with own unique abilities and maybe make them spell-like-abilities seeing as a true scientist doesn't cast magic they manipulate matter) and you might end up with something like an alchemist from Full Metal alchemist who all must be very intelligent to do what they do. Idk just a thought.

This statement is silly at best. The only reason scientists don't use magic in real life is because it doesn't exist. In a world where magic actually exists, it is the mark of insanity to put an arbitrary dividing line where you pretend science is invalid. Science is nothing more than the study of that which is real. Magic is real in dnd, so science encompasses the study of magic. The only reason electricity or the tides are no longer considered magic is because we understand how they work now.

Really, your best bet for a class suited to a scientist character would be either Archivist or Artificer. Expert, Factotum, Rogue, Wizard, or Psion all could work as well. If you include homebrew, a Gramarist might be feasible, but that is more of an engineer or inventor than a scientist.

Amnoriath
2012-11-01, 05:59 PM
Here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/52386952/D20-WotC-Modern-Future-Sourcebook-Blood-and-Space#page=18 is what I consider to be the correct start to how this class should be done.

Hmm, I can think of a couple divination spells that would make that obsolete, none of which are that high of a level. As Vauron said magic is real in D&D so making something with magical abilities is not likely in conflict with science in D&D. It also can make your job in creating abilities or items for this class much easier.

Flasaro
2012-11-01, 11:30 PM
I didn't mean it as magic isn't real I guess what I meant to say was I would think of a scientist as someone who uses mundane things to make extraordinary things. But i guess that's more of an engineer which i guess is type of science.

Amechra
2012-11-02, 12:29 AM
Science and engineering are actually quite distinct, since one is more interested in acquiring and perfecting knowledge, while the other is interested in applying knowledge to solve problems.

See here (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2158) for an amusing comic that sums it up (at least in the case of CompSci and CompEng).

DracoDei
2012-11-02, 11:36 PM
Well, I was going to mention this earlier, but until now it didn't seem like it could fit with what you want: Lappy9000's Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229).

Does that look OK?

invinible
2012-11-04, 06:41 PM
I can't believe I have to provide this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientist as so many can't seem to get the concept of Scientist as something that is distinct from other concepts.

Basically, I want this class to allow players to make characters that are of the type that would include Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Daniel Jackson (from Star Gate), and Thomas Alva Edison.

DracoDei
2012-11-04, 07:33 PM
The Engineer seems to me to fit Tesla or Edison. I can't think of one thing that Edison did that was oriented towards anything other than constructing a specific device or accomplishing a specific effect (as a child he tried drinking two chemicals that produced a lighter than air gas in hopes of achieving flight, which is both insanely stupid and a sign of great potential). As such, he was more of an engineer than a scientist, at least in what he was known for.

I agree that understanding the laws of ones environment in D&D MUST include the possibility of understanding the theory of magic, because magic is real, repeatable, and predictable in D&D. This means that Spellcraft should almost certainly be on the skills list, and UMD is a strong possibility.
I fully realized it was more about "I make nifty stuff" rather than "I understand my environment", which is why I was reluctant to suggest it. I probably got confused about who was talking, and the original poster wasn't the one saying what I thought they were saying?

It might help people if you gave several example situations.

Amechra
2012-11-04, 08:04 PM
Tesla actually did stuff. Edison took credit (I know he did invent some things, but most of his output was actually stuff that people that worked for him invented).

So, yeah, they don't really do the same thing.

DracoDei
2012-11-04, 09:31 PM
Tesla actually did stuff. Edison took credit (I know he did invent some things, but most of his output was actually stuff that people that worked for him invented).

So, yeah, they don't really do the same thing.

Fine... Tesla or the stuff that Edison oversaw.

Vauron
2012-11-04, 10:05 PM
I can't believe I have to provide this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientist as so many can't seem to get the concept of Scientist as something that is distinct from other concepts.

Basically, I want this class to allow players to make characters that are of the type that would include Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Daniel Jackson (from Star Gate), and Thomas Alva Edison.

Well, part of the problem is the apparent conflation between 'one who studies that which is real*', and 'one who solves problems by creating items'. Scientists are the former. Engineers are the latter. The very link you offer supports the distinction I'm pointing at:

A scientist, in a broad sense, is one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge.
Scientists are also distinct from engineers, those who develop devices that serve practical purposes.

Scientists can be done with: Experts, Wizards, Psions, Factotums**, Truenamers, Bards, Archivists, Rogues, Clerics of certain deities, Shadowcasters, Artificers, or basically any high INT character. While Wizard, Psion, Warlock, Artificer, and Archivist can all handle engineers.
I suppose that Incarnate might work as 'solve problems by creating items' with enough refluffing.

*Again, in DND this would need to be a class with spells, powers, or at least Spellcraft and UMD because magical stuff in DND is just as natural as gravity IRL.
**Daniel Jackson makes an excellent Factotum.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-11-06, 01:37 AM
I would be interested in a scientist class that could take a major in a certain field like particle physics, biology, that kind of thing and they would develop abilities based on that like schools of magic.

Vauron
2012-11-06, 09:55 AM
The Gramarist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252794) is the closest I can think of to what you describe.

invinible
2012-11-14, 12:03 AM
The Gramarist doesn't fit with what I would consider a proper Scientist class as it focuses too much on a single ability instead of learning for the sake of learning.

And Vauron provides the kind of quick referance to the way a Scientist is referred as part of another class without making sure the way that class works is in the way a Scientist would work even if parts of that class are scientific. For example, Wizard spells are usually learned in a scientific matter but most Wizards will stop trying to learn a spell and leave it at that once they successfully casted it once assuming they would do so again reguardless of effort instead of constantly trying to recast it to verify they can cast it on a constant basis like a Scientist would.

Morithias
2012-11-14, 02:38 AM
If we're talking 3.5 there IS a scientist class in existence.

Ravenloft - Legacy of Blood, Chapter 7, the "blood of invention".

invinible
2012-11-14, 09:12 AM
No matter how many times you guys indecate Ravenloft as having a Scientist class, not won't make it nothing more than specialized wizards under a different name rather than what a true Scientist would be.

Vauron
2012-11-14, 01:34 PM
And Vauron provides the kind of quick referance to the way a Scientist is referred as part of another class without making sure the way that class works is in the way a Scientist would work even if parts of that class are scientific. For example, Wizard spells are usually learned in a scientific matter but most Wizards will stop trying to learn a spell and leave it at that once they successfully casted it once, assuming they would do so again regardless of effort instead of constantly trying to recast it to verify they can cast it on a constant basis like a Scientist would.

First, I think part of the problem is that it sounds like you feel that all members of a class self identify as that class, and consider it their title or something similar. By that logic, Miko had levels in Samurai. Classes are just bundles of abilities that come packaged together. People doesn't consider themselves an 'Expert' in the sense of the class; they consider themselves to be artists, blacksmiths, mathematicians, technicians, managers, teachers, musicians, pimps, racers, psychiatrists, or what have you.

Second, assuming I managed to parse your post correctly, the way you claim wizards act is 100% a fluff thing. If you say wizards trust that spells will work after they do the needed research to know learn them, than that is what they do in your game. If you claim they constantly work on a specific spell, trying to find the situations were it doesn't work, than fine. I can't comprehend the former not encompassing the latter, but that could perhaps be a failure of imagination of my part.

Third, what exactly is your problem with the Ravenloft prestige class? You have mentioned your distaste for it, but have never gave any indication as to what exactly is the problem. The most important differences I can see with the one you linked is that the Ravenloft one is a prestige class, and it can actually do things beyond rolling their skills. It even has the arbitrary disdain for the arcane that seems to have been popular among others who have posted in this thread.

Sure, the Applied Science class feature edges towards Engineering, but considering you conflated Tesla and Einstein, you obviously don't care about that. Is your problem the use of what are effectively spells, along with the +caster level? Or is it the limited uses/day that bug you?

When I had suggested the Gramarist, it was in the full knowledge that it wasn't a 'scientist' class by default. It was however an excellent class to cover inventors and engineers like Tesla, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Edison.

I consider the scientific mindset to be an entirely character based thing, while researching would be little more than extra uses for the Knowledge skills. Perhaps this is the reason I have trouble seeing eye to eye with you: Nothing you have described to me sounds like something varied enough for a distinct class.

invinible
2012-11-20, 03:34 PM
I purposely included Daniel Jackson (from Star Gate) and didn't include Leonardo Da Vinci when giving examples of possible characters the class could represent as the former is a scientist that is clearly not an inventor or an engineer while the later I can't think of as anything but an inventor/engineer/artist.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B317S7SGcTxis_iyt43nwfepNJkqsKpAY7tOqjB66-A/edit?pli=1 is closest a true Inventor class will ever come to be in any game including the Final Fanasty series. In fact this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f9e-wOikyk should enlighten you as to why a true Inventor class is just not possible.

As long as Scientist is listed under common classes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_class than I'm not giving up on getting a proper Scientist class made rather that the so called Scientist classes out there.

The "arbitrary disdain for the arcane" is a character flaw, not a class feature.

The problem I have with that class is the same thing I would have with calling the following: Druid

Within the purity of the elements and the order of the wilds lingers a power beyond the marvels of civilization. Furtive yet undeniable, these primal magics are guarded over by servants of philosophical balance known as druids. Allies to beasts and manipulators of nature, these often misunderstood protectors of the wild strive to shield their lands from all who would threaten them and prove the might of the wilds to those who lock themselves behind city walls. Rewarded for their devotion with incredible powers, druids gain unparalleled shape-shifting abilities, the companionship of mighty beasts, and the power to call upon nature's wrath. The mightiest temper powers akin to storms, earthquakes, and volcanoes with primeval wisdom long abandoned and forgotten by civilization.

Role: While some druids might keep to the fringe of battle, allowing companions and summoned creatures to fight while they confound foes with the powers of nature, others transform into deadly beasts and savagely wade into combat. Druids worship personifications of elemental forces, natural powers, or nature itself. Typically this means devotion to a nature deity, though druids are just as likely to revere vague spirits, animalistic demigods, or even specific awe-inspiring natural wonders.

Alignment: Any nonlawful.

Hit Die: d12.
Class Skills

The druid's class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Table: Druid Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Fast movement, rage
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Rage power, uncanny dodge
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Trap sense +1
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Rage power
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Improved uncanny dodge
6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Rage power, Trap sense +2
7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 Damage reduction 1/—
8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 Rage power
9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Trap sense +3
10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Damage reduction 2/—, Rage power
11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 Greater rage
12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 Rage power, Trap sense +4
13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4 Damage reduction 3/—
14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 Indomitable will, Rage power
15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 Trap sense +5
16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5 Damage reduction 4/—, Rage power
17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 Tireless rage
18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 Rage power, Trap sense +6
19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6 Damage reduction 5/—
20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Mighty rage, Rage power
Class Features

All of the following are class features of the barbarian.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A druid is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Fast Movement (Ex): A druid's land speed is faster than the norm for her race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when she is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor, and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the druid's speed because of any load carried or armor worn. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the druid's land speed.

Rage (Ex): A druid can call upon inner reserves of strength and ferocity, granting her additional combat prowess. Starting at 1st level, a druid can rage for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Constitution modifier. At each level after 1st, she can rage for 2 additional rounds. Temporary increases to Constitution, such as those gained from rage and spells like bear's endurance, do not increase the total number of rounds that a druid can rage per day. A druid can enter rage as a free action. The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.

While in rage, a druid gains a +4 morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, she takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the druid 2 hit points per Hit Dice, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in rage, a druid cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

A druid can end her rage as a free action and is fatigued after rage for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in the rage. A druid cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted but can otherwise enter rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a druid falls unconscious, her rage immediately ends, placing her in peril of death.

Rage Powers (Ex): As a druid gains levels, she learns to use her rage in new ways. Starting at 2nd level, a druid gains a rage power. She gains another rage power for every two levels of druid attained after 2nd level. A druid gains the benefits of rage powers only while raging, and some of these powers require the druid to take an action first. Unless otherwise noted, a druid cannot select an individual power more than once.

Animal Fury (Ex): While raging, the druid gains a bite attack. If used as part of a full attack action, the bite attack is made at the druid's full base attack bonus –5. If the bite hits, it deals 1d4 points of damage (assuming the druid is Medium; 1d3 points of damage if Small) plus half the druid's Strength modifier. A druid can make a bite attack as part of the action to maintain or break free from a grapple. This attack is resolved before the grapple check is made. If the bite attack hits, any grapple checks made by the druid against the target this round are at a +2 bonus.

Clear Mind (Ex): A druid may reroll a failed Will save. This power is used as an immediate action after the first save is attempted, but before the results are revealed by the GM. The druid must take the second result, even if it is worse. A druid must be at least 8th level before selecting this power. This power can only be used once per rage.

Fearless Rage (Ex): While raging, the druid is immune to the shaken and frightened conditions. A druid must be at least 12th level before selecting this rage power.

Guarded Stance (Ex): The druid gains a +1 dodge bonus to her Armor Class against melee attacks for a number of rounds equal to the druid's current Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This bonus increases by +1 for every 6 levels the druid has attained. Activating this ability is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Increased Damage Reduction (Ex): The druid's damage reduction increases by 1/—. This increase is always active while the druid is raging. A druid can select this rage power up to three times. Its effects stack. A druid must be at least 8th level before selecting this rage power.

Internal Fortitude (Ex): While raging, the druid is immune to the sickened and nauseated conditions. A druid must be at least 8th level before selecting this rage power.

Intimidating Glare (Ex): The druid can make an Intimidate check against one adjacent foe as a move action. If the druid successfully demoralizes her opponent, the foe is shaken for 1d4 rounds + 1 round for every 5 points by which the druid's check exceeds the DC.

Knockback (Ex): Once per round, the druid can make a bull rush attempt against one target in place of a melee attack. If successful, the target takes damage equal to the druid's Strength modifier and is moved back as normal. The druid does not need to move with the target if successful. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): The druid's senses sharpen and she gains low-light vision while raging.

Mighty Swing (Ex): The druid automatically confirms a critical hit. This power is used as an immediate action once a critical threat has been determined. A druid must be at least 12th level before selecting this power. This power can only be used once per rage.

Moment of Clarity (Ex): The druid does not gain any benefits or take any of the penalties from rage for 1 round. Activating this power is a swift action. This includes the penalty to Armor Class and the restriction on what actions can be performed. This round still counts against her total number of rounds of rage per day. This power can only be used once per rage.

Night Vision (Ex): The druid's senses grow incredibly sharp while raging and she gains darkvision 60 feet. A druid must have low-light vision as a rage power or a racial trait to select this rage power.

No Escape (Ex): The druid can move up to double her normal speed as an immediate action but she can only use this ability when an adjacent foe uses a withdraw action to move away from her. She must end her movement adjacent to the enemy that used the withdraw action. The druid provokes attacks of opportunity as normal during this movement. This power can only be used once per rage.

Powerful Blow (Ex): The druid gains a +1 bonus on a single damage roll. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the druid has attained. This power is used as a swift action before the roll to hit is made. This power can only be used once per rage.

Quick Reflexes (Ex): While raging, the druid can make one additional attack of opportunity per round.

Raging Climber (Ex): When raging, the druid adds her level as an enhancement bonus on all Climb skill checks.

Raging Leaper (Ex): When raging, the druid adds her level as an enhancement bonus on all Acrobatics skill checks made to jump. When making a jump in this way, the druid is always considered to have a running start.

Raging Swimmer (Ex): When raging, the druid adds her level as an enhancement bonus on all Swim skill checks.

Renewed Vigor (Ex): As a standard action, the druid heals 1d8 points of damage + her Constitution modifier. For every four levels the druid has attained above 4th, this amount of damage healed increases by 1d8, to a maximum of 5d8 at 20th level. A druid must be at least 4th level before selecting this power. This power can be used only once per day and only while raging.

Rolling Dodge (Ex): The druid gains a +1 dodge bonus to her Armor Class against ranged attacks for a number of rounds equal to the druid's current Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This bonus increases by +1 for every 6 levels the druid has attained. Activating this ability is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Roused Anger (Ex): The druid may enter a rage even if fatigued. While raging after using this ability, the druid is immune to the fatigued condition. Once this rage ends, the druid is exhausted for 10 minutes per round spent raging.

Scent (Ex): The druid gains the scent ability while raging and can use this ability to locate unseen foes (see Special Abilities for rules on the scent ability).

Strength Surge (Ex): The druid adds her druid level on one Strength check or combat maneuver check, or to her Combat Maneuver Defense when an opponent attempts a maneuver against her. This power is used as an immediate action. This power can only be used once per rage.

Superstition (Ex): The druid gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws made to resist spells, supernatural abilities, and spell-like abilities. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the druid has attained. While raging, the druid cannot be a willing target of any spell and must make saving throws to resist all spells, even those cast by allies.

Surprise Accuracy (Ex): The druid gains a +1 morale bonus on one attack roll. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the druid has attained. This power is used as a swift action before the roll to hit is made. This power can only be used once per rage.

Swift Foot (Ex): The druid gains a 5-foot enhancement bonus to her speed. This increase is always active while the druid is raging. A druid can select this rage power up to three times. Its effects stack.

Terrifying Howl (Ex): The druid unleashes a terrifying howl as a standard action. All shaken enemies within 30 feet must make a Will save (DC equal to 10 + 1/2 the druid's level + the druid's Strength modifier) or be panicked for 1d4+1 rounds. Once an enemy has made a save versus terrifying howl (successful or not), it is immune to this power for 24 hours. A druid must have the intimidating glare rage power to select this rage power. A druid must be at least 8th level before selecting this power.

Unexpected Strike (Ex): The druid can make an attack of opportunity against a foe that moves into any square threatened by the druid, regardless of whether or not that movement would normally provoke an attack of opportunity. This power can only be used once per rage. A druid must be at least 8th level before selecting this power.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a druid gains the ability to react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She cannot be caught flat-footed, even if the attacker is invisible. She still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. A druid with this ability can still lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action against her.

If a druid already has uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a druid gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses increase by +1 every three druid levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a druid can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the druid by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has druid levels.

If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 7th level, a druid gains damage reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the druid takes each time she is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 10th level, and every three druid levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Greater Rage (Ex): At 11th level, when a druid enters rage, the morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution increases to +6 and the morale bonus on her Will saves increases to +3.

Indomitable Will (Ex): While in rage, a druid of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves she also receives during her rage.

Tireless Rage (Ex): Starting at 17th level, a druid no longer becomes fatigued at the end of her rage.

Mighty Rage (Ex): At 20th level, when a druid enters rage, the morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution increases to +8 and the morale bonus on her Will saves increases to +4.
Ex-Druids

A druid who becomes lawful loses the ability to rage and cannot gain more levels as a druid. She retains all other benefits of the class. a "new Druid class". That is it is using the fluff to sneak by mechanics of a totally difference class.

Darth Stabber
2012-11-20, 05:00 PM
Science is fundamentally based on in empiricism. If magic works in a demonstrable and repeatable fashion, the it would be part of the basic assumptions of science. The fact that these effects fall apart in an amd would not make them irrelevant, only weirder. As far as individuals studying the nature of the universe, many would be wizards, clerics, psions and archivists. They would simply be focused on knowledge skills. And in a world with demonstrable divine influence, the clergy would be highly relevant to the discussion given the empirical evidence behind their claims. A class specific to this would be as rediculous as having a class for potters or bakers. Class defines how you fight, not how you think.

Honestly archivist has the most class features dedicated to getting benefits from knowing things, if i were going to play a "scientist", i would go with archivist. Forbidden lore + prepared spell casting seems to be the path most likely to encompass the concept given how the world works in D&D.