PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1



Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-28, 08:15 PM
The Formidably Maid, like most taverns on the dockside of Port Peril, was a rowdy, rambunctious den of thieving scum. Of course, most taverns in the shackles could be described as such, but it was more so in Port Peril than anywhere else, which was the closest thing to a capital city in these islands. It is the home of the Hurricane King and the biggest city in the shackles, and it is here that pirates go to sell their plunder, boast tales of the high seas, and recruit their crew.

It is also here that you've stopped by. What are all of you doing?

Athaleon
2012-10-28, 09:26 PM
Kal saunters into the joint with the smile of a winner. He stood to make a small fortune with his share of his ship's successful voyage. As soon as he returned to Sargava, he could settle down and open his own apothecary shop, like the one he should have had in his home.

Whatever, tonight he'd celebrate instead of brooding. Some drinks at the nearest tavern Within sight of his ship would go down just fine, thank you very much.

Smiling at the barkeep, he orders a shot of the local hooch. With a silent toast to himself, he downs his glass and orders a second.

Starbin
2012-10-28, 11:32 PM
Walking into the tavern, Bizkut took a quick look around, wondering what kind of trouble this place would bring. Walking over to a table with a single chair, he took a seat, setting his pack and weapons against the wall. Waving to one of the serving wenches, he ordered meat, bread and ale.

As he waited for his order, he thought back to the past week. He had been traveling by ship for awhile, ever since he'd left the northern lands to find a 'new life.' Whatever the future held, he was happy to be off the ship - seven days of ocean travel had been enough for a land-lubber like himself. Oh, it had it's charms, but there was something about being ashore that made him feel comfortable.

Regardless, Bizkut would spend a day or two here, and decide where to go next. Back aboard another ship, or head inland? Only tomorrow could answer that one.

When his meal arrived, he smiled to the wench and gave her an extra silver. "My thanks, lass. Uh, any chance you'll get a bard in here tonight?" Small talk might not come naturally to him, but Bizkut was quickly learning the value of establishing rapport with those around you.

Thattaman
2012-10-29, 03:08 AM
Drex stolls into the room, a clasic pirate coat and hat, making im look like he owned the place although he still had a lot to grow into. He checks the ships that were recruiting today, none seems that interesting until he looks at the Wormwood, fascinating, the captain looks pretty horrible and the other one next to him, also seems pretty repulsive, he preffers ships with class, like the last ship he'd been on, pity that after someone misfired their gun, the ship had set on fire. Deciding that he'd wait for tomorrows ships to dock, Drex walks towards the bar and orders a glass of finest rum, he had loads of money on him at the moment from his last ship and he really ought to find a gunsmith, but after the first one he went to got burnt down and they seem to be dissapearing from all across the shackles, he changes his mind and just sits there admiring the barmaids and sipping his pricey drink.

North_Ranger
2012-10-29, 05:21 AM
Soon after the flamboyant pirate's arrival, the tavern door swings open again. Expecting odd glances and whispers among the too-tall, non-feathered monkeys that seem to be infesting every damn island, port and whorehouse in the Shackles, Cho-Tak walks inside, his talons scraping the floor as he makes his way inside. It was always like that when a tengu walked in; especially one walking alone and bearing the tell-tale signs of a pirate. Cho-Tak certainly did, wearing a worn suit of leather lamellar, a bow and a quiver on his back, an axe and a sword on his belt. On his head he wore a tricorne with an emerald green parrot feather stuck in it, and the backpack he lugged with him probably told everyone in the tavern that this jinx eater was shipless.

Go on and gawk, Cho-Tak mused as he looked around, trying to see if there were any other tengu in the establishment. But don't bother me unless you have a deal to propose. Finding himself an empty table, the garrulous-looking birdman sits down and quorks at the nearest barmaid.

"You! Get me some ale and be quick about it!" Cho-Tak calls out, staring angrily at the barmaid.

Starbin
2012-10-29, 10:32 AM
Bizkut glanced over at the birdman that walked in. If the halfling had a chip on his shoulder about his size, this one had a chip about his entire being. Stalking over to an empty table, it (he?) demanded service, while aggressively looking around the bar.

Not needing the grief of a fight based on some imagined slight, Bizkut kept to himself. Brushing his unkempt hair back, his bright green eyes continued to survey the room, wondering what other surprises the evening might bring.

North_Ranger
2012-10-29, 10:48 AM
Turning his beaked head around, Cho-Tak caught a glimpse of the halfling looking at him - and then turning his eyes away.

"What are you looking at, slip?" the tengu asked in a raspy crow's quork, his hard beak clicking as he stared down at the little runt of a man.

Starbin
2012-10-29, 11:16 AM
"What are you looking at, slip?"

Bizkut froze for a moment, eyes hardening as they flashed backed to the birdman. Reaching back, he pulled the greatsword against the wall and set it on the table. "A dead man, from the looks of things back here. Or should I say, "Caw, caw, caw!"

Great ... you just had to go there ... I was just keeping the board running, but now we gotta fight. :smallsmile:

Oh, and Bizkut, his greatsword not-withstanding, is NOT very intimidating, just so you can respond accordingly.

That being said, I hope you have a way out of this one, cuz you basically just poked one of my psychological flaws ... :smallwink:

North_Ranger
2012-10-29, 11:30 AM
"You have to speak up, slip. I can't hear you all the way up here", Cho-Tak answered in kind, black eyes staring down at the halfling. Climbing up on his chair, the tengu jumped on the table, black talons scratching the worn wood as he squat down.

It wasn't a conscious reaction, the way he tilted his head to the side as he looked at the halfling and the blade on the table - the way a crow would sharply twist its head from side to side as it looked around. "That's a fine-looking blade you got there, slip", the tengu spoke up again. "Who'd you steal it from?" he continued, this time with just a tad less hostility in his voice, and just a tad more curiosity. Maybe even an inkling of humor.

OOC:

Heh, sorry about that... It's one of my psychological flaws, I guess. I just can't let any opening for a quick jab go :smallwink:

Starbin
2012-10-29, 11:36 AM
"That's a fine-looking blade you got there, slip", the tengu spoke up again. "Who'd you steal it from?"

Bizkut didn't move, but in the same quiet voice he responded, "Yes, from the last person to call me slip." Pulling the blade partially out from the sheath, he gave a humorless smile. "Come closer and see. I'm sure you'll like it ... it's shiny!"

No worries ... I think that's the biggest hurdle for games where the characters are less than 'heroic.' Selfish / Evil / Self-centered / Survivalist folks are less likely to be interested in making friends. I suppose we'll have to make it work :smallsmile:

North_Ranger
2012-10-29, 11:45 AM
"What, you think me a magpie? Did I just grow green and blue feathers outta my ass?" Cho-Tak laughed. "And no thanks. I prefer gold and silver and jewels over steel. Besides, I've got my own."

With that, the squatting tengu pulled out a well-cleaned and -oiled bastard sword from its sheath, placing it point-down on the table. "See? Mine's shiny, too", he spoke and grinned - or at least that's the best way to describe the tugging of facial muscles around the edges of his beak.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-29, 12:05 PM
Kal

As you down your shots, a man on the stool next to you flags down the barkeep. His face was flushed, and his speech was a bit slurred, but he managed to flag him down.

"Barkeep! Hey! Barkeep!"

"Hnnn?" grunted the barkeep.

"I was just thinkin' 'bout the sign ya got out front," said the drunk.

"Hnnn?"

"Well, its just that it says 'The Formidably Maid' out dere, but it just don't make no sense. Now, I ain't no scholar or anything, but doesn't that violate some rule of grammer or somethin'?"

"Hnnn."

"I mean, it should say 'Formidable' right? 'The Formidable Maid'? That sounds a lot better I should think. Who managed to bungle [I]that[I] up anyhow? I mean, did the guys who built this place not take any grammer lessons, or are ya just too..."

"Hnnn!"

The barkeeps rebuttle was to grab the man by the hair in his meaty fist and slam his face into the counter. The drunkard slumped to the floor unconsious, leaving behind some teeth and a few drops of blood on the bars surface. The barkeep serves you another shot as some bar patrons dragged the man's body outside.

"Don't ask about the sign," grunted the barkeep.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-29, 01:28 PM
Bizkut and Cho-Tak

"Hey! Would ya mind takin your grudge outside," called the barkeep, as he finished wiping the serving counter with an old used rag. "I just got done cleaning up the last fight."

A serving wrench comes to your table, carrying two mugs of foaming ale. She was a different barmaid than the one that Cho-Tak had just barked at, but perhaps he just managed to scare her off. She looked boyish with her short cropped hair, and seemed a bit too young to be serving as a barmaid.

"Your drinks, sirs," she said demurely, placing them down and leaving as fast as she could, eager it seemed to get away from the angry bird and halfling.

North_Ranger
2012-10-29, 02:19 PM
"No grudge here, boss", Cho-Tak said, giving the innkeep a glance. "Just having a friendly discussion betwixt two swordsmen. Ain't that right, slip?"

This time the tengu seemed not to be mocking the halfling, but using that moniker like a nickname. However, it was the sight of the drunkard falling on the floor that made the feathery rascal look up.

"If you'll excuse me", the tengu said and jumped off the table. Sheathing his blade he walked up to the unconscious drunkard, prodded him a couple of times with his foot - and then started emptying his pockets without a second thought.

"Poor, poor fellow", he muttered. "Can't leave you lyin' about with your purse out in the open. I'll just keep an eye on it until he comes to."

OOC: I'm guessing it's a Perception check to see to it that the drunken sod's pockets are thoroughly cleaned :smallwink:

[roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-29, 02:20 PM
Drex

As you admire the barmaids you hear a rustle beside you as someone sat down on the stool next to yours. Turning around you see that it is a pretty young woman with long dark red bangs, and from her tricorn hat to the sailor tattoos down her arms to the jolly roger that hung around her neck by a silver chain she looked every bit like a pirate. She chuckled bemusedly as an unconcious man was dragged away.

"Looks like someone asked about the sign again," she said. She tossed a silver piece down on the serving counter.

"Barkeep! Some rum. Doesn't matter what kind, just leave the bottle."

She turns back to you, one corner of her lips turned up in a smirk as she seemed to size you up.

"So, you gotta ship?"

Starbin
2012-10-29, 02:50 PM
"What, you think me a magpie? Did I just grow green and blue feathers outta my ass?"

Bizkut shook his head. "Nope, I assumed that was your a$$." When the birdman pulled out his own sword and said, "See? Mine's shiny, too." Bizkut shrugged. But before he could respond, an altercation at the bar left one man unconscious and bleeding, and the bartender grunting at them to take their fight outside.

"No grudge here, boss", Cho-Tak said, giving the innkeep a glance. "Just having a friendly discussion betwixt two swordsmen. Ain't that right, slip?"

Bizkut nodded, jaws clenched and murder in his eyes yet again. However, he didn't move, simpy saying, "Maggie's right ... nothing worth fighting over here." When the young wench came up, he nodded and took the ale, setting it down as he watched the tengu flit over to the unconscious man and start searching him.

He wondered if anyone was going to do something, so he sat and watched the room for reactions from the guests.

Perception check: [roll0]

Thattaman
2012-10-29, 03:12 PM
"Well hello there, I'm between ships at the moment, but I'm always on the lookout if a good offer comes up. The names Drex, I'm a surgeon and a gunslinger extroadinaire. What are you doing in part peril, this is no place for young, attractive women such as yourself?"

Athaleon
2012-10-29, 05:17 PM
Kal watches the proceedings with undisguised amusement. He had considered leaving when it looked as though a fight would break out, but he was comfortable where he was, and things seemed to have calmed down. Well, he'd be sure not to sass this barkeep, he mused as he ordered another drink.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-31, 06:56 PM
Bizkut looked around the bar, wondering what to do with a drunken sailor. The tavern was crowded that night, but other than that damnable crow nobody seemed to care all that much. At one corner of the bar, he saw a man and woman chatting, and on the other end a half-elven man was gleefully downing shots. The rest was a blur of pirates drinking, singing, gambling, and in one case making a show of throwing knives.

There was, however, one group of pirates in the far corner looking out at the scene. One man nods his head towards the fallen drunk and two of his entourage made a bee line towards him, shoving the bird out of the way as they grab the man by the arms.

"Out of the way, ya scavenger," says one of them, "we take care of our own here."

And with that, they dragged him out of the bar, but not before Cho-Tak filches - I mean bilkes - I mean started to look after the eight pieces of silver that were in his pocket.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-31, 07:53 PM
Kal

"Impressive," says a voice. Behind you, there is a man with a purple scarf wrapped around his head and a stubbled beard. He nods his head, approving of your constitution.

"A man only drinks like that when he's got something to celabrate. So what happened to you? Get divorced?" He laughs at his own joke.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-10-31, 08:07 PM
Drex

The woman laughs, "Yes, you're right. This seems hardly a place for a beautiful young woman. Perfect place if you happen to be a pirate though."

The bartender brings her drink with a grunt, and she wastes no time taking a long deep swig from the bottle. With a quarter of its contents gone, she sets the bottle down again and firmly shakes your hand.

"Sandara Quinn. I have to admit, I'm surprised that you don't actually have your own ship. You just seem to have that air about you. I'm eager to sign onto a crew myself."

Athaleon
2012-10-31, 10:18 PM
Kal chuckles, and slurs his reply just a little. "If you think of a ship as a woman, then I guess I did. Never really gave it much thought, but I guess I can see how the analogy came about."

Thattaman
2012-11-01, 03:14 AM
Drex takes another swig of his fine run befor answering. "Well, with you in my crew, I think I could scrape up some money to buy a ship. But at the moment I making my money jumping between different pirate ships. You could accompany me to my next crew and we could then get to know each other a bit better." Drex finishes with a wink.

North_Ranger
2012-11-01, 06:03 AM
Cho-Tak nimbly jumps aside, though he scowls at the men as they drag their besotted comrade away.

"Besmara piss in your drink, monkey", Cho-Tak mutters in the tengu tongue as the drunkard is removed from the premises. After that, he casually checks the contents of the little pouch he grabbed. Hmh. Eight silver. Not bad.. He picks up three of the coins and drops them on the counter in front of the innkeeper. "Food. And a pitcher of ale, two cups. The slip drinks with me", he says and at the same time, grabs one of the drunkard's knocked-off teeth from the counter. Grinning, he rubs the tooth clean against his sleeve and then pockets it, snickering to himself as he walks back to the table.

Starbin
2012-11-01, 10:34 AM
Bizket raised an eye at the group of scruffy men that grabbed the unconscious drunk and took him out, claiming he was one of their own. Shaking his head, he returned to his drink, when he noticed the birdman approaching his table. Watching silently, he waited to see if the strange person would actually join him, or going to turn aside suddenly.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-01, 11:36 AM
Kal

"Ah, so that's how it is," remarked the man as he clumsily settled into a nearby stool, seeming a bit tipsy himself.

"Well, since you seem so intent on getting drunk as fast as you can, how's about we make a sport of it," he says. He reaches into his vest pocket and pulls out a small coin pouch and drops it onto the counter, which makes a very satisfying clinking noise.

"How's about we make a little wager? It's simple really, we have ourselves a drinkin' game. Which ever one of us can hold the most spirits takes the pot, whaddaya say?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-01, 11:47 AM
Drex

"Hey, slow down now," says Sandara, smiling, "I'm not nearly drunk enough yet."

She takes another long draught from her bottle.

"Still, I just might take you up on that. A girl can't be too careful when she signs up with a pirate crew after all," she jokes, and nudges your arm with her shoulder.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-01, 12:13 PM
Bizkut and Cho-Tak

The young boyish barmaid returns to your table, carrying a tray of food. A pot of reefclaw stew, spiced chellish bread, and a bowl of assorted fruit to prevent scurvey.

"The rest of your order, sirs," she says. She then turns back and disappears into the crowd.

North_Ranger
2012-11-01, 03:52 PM
Cho-Tak laughs and claps his downy hands together as he eyes the dishes before him hungrily.

"Dig in, slip", he says with a grin to Bizkut. "This one's on me. One swordsman to another", he says as he starts ladling the heady-smelling stew onto his plate.

Starbin
2012-11-01, 04:03 PM
Everytime he tried to relaxe with this birdman, it continued to use the term slip. It was a clear reminder of days when that was his only name ... a name associated with beatings and beratings, long nights in chains without food, and generally unpleasant times.

With visible effort, he inclined his head in thanks for the meal, slowly starting to eat the food. After a moment of chewing, he swallowed and spoke quietly. "My name is Bizkut. And you are?"

North_Ranger
2012-11-01, 04:22 PM
"Cho-Tak", the tengu said after swallowing a particularly juicy piece of 'clawmeat down his throat. He broke one of the breads in half and started picking it into bite-size pieces with his fingers, his beak clearly not used to pulling apart bread in an enjoyable fashion. "Bizkut, huh? Were your parents bakers or something?" he asks as he pops one of the pieces inside his mouth, swallowing it whole. Despite his rather rough manners, he doesn't seem to ask that with malice.

Athaleon
2012-11-01, 05:10 PM
"You're on." Kal replied with mock gravitas. "What're you celebrating this evening? Got divorced?"

Thattaman
2012-11-02, 03:44 AM
"You're not drunk enough yet? Do want some of my drink? Maybe that will put you in the mood better. Anyway, what are you doing here in Part Peril? A nice place, but a bit violent. I prefer to shoot people rather than slash them." Drex offers his drink to the woman.

Starbin
2012-11-02, 12:53 PM
"Cho-Tak, eh? I don't know what happened to my parents. Somewhere shoveling crap without shovel, I suppose. No, they called me Bizkut cuz I liked 'em so much. When all you've had is brackish water and scraps, your first meal as a free man is ... indescribable.

So, I'm just trying to find my way in the world ... anything that puts food in my belly and coin in my purse. Why are you here?" Bizkut took some of his bread and dipped it in the stew, watching the birdman as he ate.

North_Ranger
2012-11-03, 02:33 PM
"Looking for a ship", Cho-Tak answered the halfling's query as he soaked pieces of bread in the stew, chucking one heavy chunk in his mouth before picking another. "Know where I could find one?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-03, 11:30 PM
Kal

The pirate smiles, "Married actually, if you think of a ship as a woman."

He pours a shot for you, grinning all the while. He raises his own glass towards you in a mock 'cheers' motion.

"Let the game begin."

And so, setting some of your own money on the table, the two of you begin to drink. Shot after shot, your glasses coming to a sizable stack beside each of you. Your game began to attract the attention of the other bar patrons, a crowd forms around you placing their own bets and cheering you on, pushing you far past the limits of your constitution. Soon, however, the both of you are at your threshold, the room seems to tilt to one side and then the other as you struggle to keep your balance in your seat. Your drinking partner doesn't seem to fair much better as he wiped at his sweaty flushed face.

"Okay..." he mutters, "... okay, I think I might be at my limit here. And you don't seem to be fairing much better either. I s'ppose we could walk away right now no richer than we was before or... 'ow 'bout this... 'ow 'bout this..."

He sways a little trying to keep his head level with yours, ending up staring very intensely at your chin. At least you think he's staring directly at your chin, you're not actually in any position to be gauging direction yourself.

"We both down one las' drink. A shot o' Gutburn Rum. Who'ever's still consious gits da pot. An'! An' we go all in," He sets more bags of money on the table in front of you. It's a very enticing proposition, you could very easily double your money.

"So 'ows ah bout id?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-04, 12:31 AM
Drex

"Now you are such a gentleman you are!" Laughs Sandara. She takes your drink without any form of hesitation on her part. "My da warned me about men like you."

For the briefest of moments you saw a flash of emotion in her eyes, as though she were revisiting a moment in time. Some very recent, profound, life changing event. And before you had the time to analyze it, she drowned it out, knocking her head back and tossing down your rum. She slams your bone dry mug down with a decidedly unlady-like belch, all smiles again.

"Heh, lightweight. Anyway, I came to Port Peril for the same reason that anyone comes to Port Peril for, to become a pirate. As you can probably tell, I am a cleric of Besmara."

She taps the jolly roger symbol around her neck, a glistening silver skull and crossbones pattern etched into a rectangular black stone.

"The goddess of piracy herself, so you could say I'm a bit set on this idea. It's just that time to leave home and set sail for open waters. You know that feeling too, right?"

Thattaman
2012-11-04, 08:06 AM
"A cleric of Besmara? So you do the healing on the ships you're on? I myself heal on the ship. Yes, I have that feeling as well, I've always liked being a pirate, such freedom and money. When you use gins like I do, you need all the gold you can get."

Starbin
2012-11-05, 12:03 PM
"Know where I could find one?"

Bizkut shrugged. "Besides down at the docks? Nope. I was just passing through, but this looked like as good of a place to ask around as any.

Assuming you don't ask about the sign." He smirked at the last.

As they ate, a commotion began near the bar, as two men entered into a drinking contest. The cheering and side betting continued to grow as the men seemed to near their limit. Bizkut glanced over at Cho-Tak, nodding towards the two contestants. "Open eyes and quick hands might be able to score an extra coin or two as they drink themselves stupid." Of course, Bizkut was used to a city where such events were staged ... who drinks themselves stupid in a crowd with a pile of money sitting right there? They might as well be shouting "ROB ME!"

He glanced around, figuring someone else was either eyeing the money, or acting as security should things turn south.

Perception check: (don't have my sheet with me) [roll0]

Athaleon
2012-11-05, 12:22 PM
Kal was enticed by the offer, but retained just enough wits about him to avoid gambling all of his money. Truth be told, he felt about to hit the floor. This was bad, this was not the town in which to get fall-down black-out drunk. Better stumble back to his ship before he passed out.

"I... Your offer's quite entishing, but I believe I'll quit while I'm ahead" he crookedly grins. With an exaggerated bow which Kal struggled to get up from, he takes his leave. "Was a good contest sir, I shalute you. But I must bid you adieu."

As he straightens up, his head spins even more than before. Damn, but would the next hundred yards be an ordeal.

North_Ranger
2012-11-06, 11:45 AM
Cho-Tak clicked his beak as he eyed the scene before him. "Too much of a hassle, I say. Just wait when they keel over and empty their pockets. Only it seems in this place you gotta wait until they throw them out first", he said as he emptied his mug. Letting out a feather-shivering belch he then poured himself some more.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-06, 09:31 PM
Kal

Somehow, against all odds, you actually manage to stumble your way out the door after a hard nights drinking. The cool, salty air of Port Peril hits you in the face, managing to sober you up a little.

The sobering feeling was short lived. They struck with alarming precision for a band of brigands, and you did not have the motor function to hold them off. Two of them came up to either side of you and grabbed hold of your arms, a third pulls a hood down over your face, and a fourth one smacks something solid over the back of your head before you could cry out.

Something tells you that you may miss your boat to Sargava.



Bizkut and Cho-Tak

Serendipity can be a bitch sometimes. Just as Cho-Tak mentioned sailors passing out, you both find yourselves feeling dizzy. As your eyesight starts to dim and drop onto the table, you just barely manage to figure out that you had been drugged before you lose consiousness entirely.


Drex

The conversation seems to be going your way, and you'd flirt with this woman all night if you could, but fate seems to have other things in store for you. You start to feel dizzy, your mind and body slowly slipping away from you. As you look into Sandara's face, you can tell that she's starting to feel it too.

"Aww... damn..." she mutters. Her head then slams hard into the bar in front of her.

You slowly begin to realize that you had been sipping out of that mug of yours all night before you handed it to her, and she got a much larger dose when she downed it all. The effects were nearly instantaneous with her than with you, but once it hit you it hits you hard and you quickly find yourself joining her. Your last consious thought was the feeling of being carried away by your arms and legs.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-06, 10:27 PM
The first thing you become aware of was the familiar creeking of wood and swaying gently up and down in an abyss of nothingness. As you all slowly fade back into consiousness, you become aware of the taste of sea salt in the air and the feeling of your body swinging in a hammock. It does not take a genius to recognize that you are on a ship.

Kal tries to open his eyes, but immediately regrets it. Even the dim light of the crews quarters of the ship is too much to take. He wakes up in the haze of a brutal hangover, made all the more joyous by the knot in the back of his head.

Kal is sickened

This was also around the time a series of foot falls stomps down the stairs, all much too loudly for Kal's liking. Down came a man in a big black coat which only served to show how thin he was, flanked on all sides by six rough looking pirates, and carrying a whip in his hand. He looks at you all with what was supposed to be a smile, but it came out as a wicked snarl.

"Waz this? Still abed with the sun over the yardarm? On yer feet, ye lazy swabs! Git on deck and report for duty a'fore Cap'n Harrigan flays yer flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts serve ye up fer breakfast!"

"Ughh... sausage skins are made from intestines you swit..." Murmurs a feminine voice.

The attempt of a smile washes from the mans face, and he cracks his whip at the offending young woman.

"THEN HE'LL GUT YE! Watsit matter? On yer feet! On deck! Now! Move it!"

Starbin
2012-11-07, 12:41 AM
Bizkut opened his eyes, glancing around in confusion. Last he remembered was sitting at the table, finishing his meal when ...

As he thought about the evening before, the pieces fell into place. The complainer ... the drinking contest ... the different server bringing over his food ... the johnny-on-the-spot neer-do-wells in the corner ... Dammit, he'd been drugged!

Shaking clear the cobwebs, he glanced around the hold, only to be greeted by the stomping of boots and the arrival of a sterotypical pirate. The shouts and insults were nothing - he had endured them before. But to be trapped ... enslaved ... that was something that he would not live through again.

However, there were seven of them and only one of him. Without any weapons, or the element of surprise, he'd end up thrown to the sharks quicker than you could say "Kill the little one!" No, this was going to be a true test of his self-discipline; but could he relieve the nightmare again? Yes ... yes he could. He had 'earned' his freedom before, and he would do it again.

Bizkut knew the rules of surviving slavery - never be first, never be last, and never stand out. He waited for the others to stir, then rose as they did. When they moved to head out, he kept to the middle of the pack. When his captors weren't looking, he watched them, counted weapons, took note of mannerisms and quirks ... and always looked for who had the keys.

He would play the game - but what they didn't know was that when it came to his freedom, Bizkut played for blood.

Not sure what we need right here, but trying to assess the situation and gather a little intel by observing our captors as surreptitiously as possible. Also, Bizkut will take stock of what he's got in his pocketses, and try to snag something that will work as a make-shift lockpick (if they are shackled). Game on!

North_Ranger
2012-11-07, 04:57 AM
"Besmara's tits and Gozreh's gash..." came a pained groan from under the woman and the blankets she was lying on, followed by mutterings in what sounded like Polyglot and Tien, even a smattering of Aquan - all probably similar namings of divine body parts.

Cho-Tak's eyes blinked open as he took stock of his situation. He felt like there had been a bar fight in his brain, everything was moving, and he was pinned down by something. A quick fumble to see if his pants were on... yup, they were. Damn, pressganged. Now this is NOT part of the Plan.

Cursing, Cho-Tak finagled his hands free from under the covers and sought a hand-hold to pull himself out of whatever weight he was under. He managed a hold of something and pulled his head out of the blankets... only to see that he was holding a nice handful of a human woman's bosom. "Uh... hello there, gorgeous", the flabbergasted tengu, his brain still delivering damage reports, managed to say. "You come here often?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-07, 11:26 AM
Bizkut

The situation brings back the unpleasant memories from your enslavement, but you valiently pushes them aside. you would deal with those later. Above all else, you're a survivor, and one of the first rules of survival was to be fully aware of just how deep your in it.

Obviously your weapons are gone, and you find yourself sorely missing their familiar weight. Your armor as well as your backpack and pouch are also missing, leaving you with only your clothes and your waterskin and you doubt you'll be killing anyone with those.

The pirate with the whip seems to be the one in charge of this little group, and the way he grips his whip you can tell that he is eager to use it. Close beside him is a stocky dwarf with a long, pointed, ugly nose sticking out of his face. He folds his arms over his chest and a well crafted cutlass is at his side.

There is also a scowling half-orc with a double axe slung on his back, a fat man with a shaved head, a woman with large ears, and several other nondescript pirate folk and they are all armed and armored. It is definately in your best interest to not provoke any of them.


Cho-Tak

"EEK!"

Almost too fast for your addled mind to handle, you are knocked from your hammock when a fist mashed into your beak. Had you been unlucky enough to have been born with a human nose, it would most certainly have been broken. The assembled pirates were sent laughing.

"I love that joke..."

Having been jolted awake, you finally notice that your weapons, armor, and backpack are gone leaving you only with your cards and your scarf.

Starbin
2012-11-07, 11:40 AM
Bizkut nodded to himself, waiting for the others to rise. Glancing around, he recognized at some of the folks from the tavern, most notably the birdman and the drinker from the contest. Hopefully there was enough sense in their drug and alcohol addled brains to keep their head's down and their mouths shut, but enough fire in their bellies to stand and fight when the time was right.

Whoops, forgot to check out the folks that were shanghaied!

North_Ranger
2012-11-07, 11:58 AM
The laughter.

That idiotic guffaw of men thinking themselves oh so blessedly clever.

Gods, Cho-Tak hated that laughter, especially when it was aimed at him. Jumping back on his feet, the angered tengu eyed the men and let out a long, angry and definitely avian scream, his feathers ruffling as his dark eyes stared at the men. It was a trick Cho-Tak had learned from observing a chickcharney once; those gangly little birds certainly had a menacing air about them when provoked.

"Think yourself funny when your privates blister and fall off", the tengu hissed. "'cause that's the price of angering a jinx eater." With a single angered quork Cho-Tak then looked at the woman in the hammock. "Ma'am", he said, tipping his worn tricorne before hobbling to where the other "fresh meat" were.

Rolling Intimidate:
[roll0]

And then Perception on the rest of the new crewmen:
[roll1]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-07, 12:55 PM
Cho-Tak

The laughter instantly stops, dead silence filling the room broken only when they started muttering to each other if this was actually a good idea. A few of them even took to checking the inside of their pants to see if their boys are still attached. The pirate with the whip starts quacking in his oversized boots, and you think you can hear his gold teeth clacking together.

"Oh, yeah? W-well... ye still gotta go see the Cap'n. A-a-and e'll gut ye he will! 'E ain't afraid a no curses!"

The bar may have been crowded that night, but you still manage to make out a few familiar faces. The slip from last night was easy enough to make out, sans his weapons of course.

You also manage to recognize the woman you "bedded" last night. She was the one who was flirting with a man at the bar, and speak of the devil there he was laying in another cot. You also spot the half-elf from the drinking contest who wasn't looking too good, but what could you expect when you try to drink like a fish?

There was also one other man sitting up in his cot. He looked about with bleary drunken eyes, smacking his dry lips together.

"Hey? Hashh anyone shheen my teeth?" he asks, his breath whistling through the gaps in his teeth.

But beyond recognizing who was there, you also recognized what they were missing. The woman was missing her rapier and her necklass, the man she was with had a cutlass and pistol which were gone now, and the half elf had lost his potions.

All of their weapons, armor, and most of their gear had been stripped from them. They were in no condition to be taking on pirates.

North_Ranger
2012-11-07, 01:32 PM
Cho-Tak couldn't help but grin around his beak when he saw the pirates shivering in their boots. The pecking order's been set, he chuckled inwardly. The mention of the captain got only a quork and a click of his beak out of him, nothing more. It was one thing to make sure these fools thought twice before letting him have the whip; a whole different kind of approach was needed against the captain, lest he be plucked just so these sea dogs could tar and feather him.

"Better get it over and done with, then", the tengu muttered as he walked over to the halfling. "So you decided to join this here pleasure cruise as well, huh?"

Starbin
2012-11-07, 03:39 PM
Bizkut watched as Cho-Tak's gambit worked ... for now. They were surprised, assuming that their new 'crewmen' would be broken, and the tengu's response had clearly taken them aback. But knowing how these cowards worked, they would get back at the birdman later, at a time and place of their chosing, when the deck was stacked in their favor.

Of course, since there wasn't a brain among them, the damage was already done. If they could be cowed, even armed and outnumbering the bird, then they would have no stomach for the real fighting. Good to know. Hopefully Cho-Tak hopefully knew better than to try that on the Captain, who would HAVE to kill him just to keep control.

As Cho-Tak walked over and muttering, Bizkut shrugged and murmured back, "Heard the food was to die for ..." Glancing at the guards, he warned the birdman, "Don't get caught alone ... they'll want revenge ..."

Thattaman
2012-11-07, 04:05 PM
Drex awakes and sits up, checking his surroundings. "Oh, god, we've been press-ganged." He mutters to himself and then instantly checks his belt for his trustiy pistol. Gone. "Damn." He mutters again. Then he sees the woman who he was talking to last night. "At least something is looking up." He mutters for the third time and goes over to speak to her. "Well, hello again, looks like we are on a ship together after all, good to know that there's a familar face here. And a nice welcome present, a drug in the drink and forced to join. Rather unorthadox."

North_Ranger
2012-11-07, 04:39 PM
"Not soon, and not while we're at sea, I reckon", Cho-Tak answered to the halfling's warning. "It's bad luck to harm a tengu aboard, you see", he added as he looked around. "'course, there's parts in these waters where they don't think too highly of your ilk, either. So whaddaya say, Biz? You watch my back an' I watch yours?"

Starbin
2012-11-07, 05:08 PM
Bizkut glanced around, and nodded. He appreciated Cho-Tak's confidence, but wouldn't bet his life on the fact that he could still be in danger. Of course, it was his feathered arse, so ...

At the offer, Bizkut glanced at the tengu, then nodded and shook on it. "I might not always be able to see that high, but I'll do my best."

Shaking his head while smiling wryly, Bizkut wandered at the irony of it all. Who would've thought that of all the people in this town, he would be allied with a creature he was ready to battle just last night? Ah, but survival made for strange bedfellows, as the pretty woman had recently found out, and if Bizkut was anything, it was a survivor.

Now, if they could bring in some of the others ... they might just make it out of here soon than they thought.

Athaleon
2012-11-07, 11:25 PM
For a long time, Kal just lay there in a pile of his own headache, unable to move or even groan. It hurt to open his eyes, even in the dim light. He instinctively squeezed his eyes shut, and that hurt too. The full implications of his situation would have to wait until the overwhelming fog stopped clouding his mind.

At length, he finally summons the willpower to slur "%$#@, could you all shut up for about a day?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-08, 12:05 PM
"Aww look, 'e made a friend, see? Ain't that sweet?" Mocks the pirate. He kicks Bizkut towards the stairs, "Get movin' slip!"

He glares hard at Cho-Tak, but gives him a wide berth. He continues to glare as Sandara and Drex also move on deck, but he saves his best look of disdain for the half-elf in the cot.

"Jape. Grab 'im!"

The massive half-orc stomps his way towards Kal, his pale green hand clenches around the back of his neck and hauls him onto his feet. He looks at the last sailor, who still sat dazed and confused.

"Who are you? Have you shheen my teeth?"

"Him too!"

"Urk!"

He soon found himself in Jape's other huge fist, and soon Kal and he were being hauled out on deck dangling by their necks.

The sun was nearly blinding, and the deck was awash with working pirates. Most of them steal a glance towards you before turning back, not eager to be caught looking inattentive in their duties. The shores of Port Peril was by now just a blurry haze off the stern, many miles away.

Waiting for you is a man with a clean shaven head with a long pony tail dangling down his back. His vest is open, showing his muscled chest, and his face was stuck in a perpetual frown.

"I got 'em Mister Plugg, just as ye asked. Six swabs joinin' our happy crew, just waitin fer yer orders."

"Were they any trouble," asked Mister Plugg, as though he asked if he stubbed his toe while hauling crates on board.

"Just these two Mister Plugg," said the pirate, motioning to the two in Jape's grasp, "lazy swabs wouldn't even git outta bed. Had ta have Jaundice Jape haul 'em aboard."

"We do not tolerate laziness onboard the Wormwood, Master Scourge," said Plugg, sounding very board with this whole affair, "You know the penalty. Three lashes."

"Yes sir!" said Scourge, very eager to carry out his orders. He motioned with his hand, and Kal and the sailor were dragged to the main mast, their shirts stripped off, and bound to the mast. The crew soon stopped to gather round the pole and watch. With sadistic glee, Scourge cracks his whip down on the unfortunate man.

CRACK!

Blood spattered on the deck as the whip tore a gash across his shoulder, the man cries out in pain.

"ONE!" calls the crew.

CRACK!

"TWO!"

CRACK!

"THREE!"

Scourge slowly strolls around towards Kal, drawing out the bated breath of the crowd, and then lashes his whip across Kal's back. It is a pain he feels through his entire body as the whip comes down.

CRACK!

"ONE!"

CRACK!

"TWO!"

CRACK

"THREE!"

The crowd cheers, even as blood drips down from their backs. Scourge turns back towards the crowd.

"What are ye'all cheerin' about! Back to work! Or it'll be you on the mast!"

Kal and the unnamed sailor dropped to the deck as they were cut down from the main mast.

"And you two! Back in line!"

The unnamed sailor has 4 nonlethal damage.
Kal recieves 6 nonlethal damage.

Starbin
2012-11-08, 12:24 PM
Bizkut cursed under his breath, apparently having forgotten his own rule about not standing out. Moving into line, he marked the pirate that mocked him, knowing there would be an accounting later.

Once on the deck, he took stock of the situation. The shore was fading fast, and there were more pirates than you could shake a stick at. Before he could take in much more, the group was subjected to the meting of punishment to drunk and drunker. Bizkut didn't flinch, having been subjected to the lash more times than he could count. It did provide motivation to stay in line for now - especially since this Mr. Plugg seemed fairly uncompromising.

Returning to his place once the beating was done, Bizkut glanced around for anything else of interest ... where the captain was, what kind of tools the pirates were using, impression of the crew, etc.

Perception check: [roll0]; KS: Local - [roll1]

Athaleon
2012-11-08, 01:42 PM
As adrenaline and the fiery pain of the lash burned Kal into compliance, he gritted his teeth and slowly stood up and got in line. Still too ravaged to be properly pissed off, but he made sure to remember the names. Plugg and Scourge, two for the list.

North_Ranger
2012-11-08, 03:06 PM
Cho-Tak had shut his beak when their captors walked up on the deck. This Mister Plugg... he had the bearing of a captain, or at least the first mate. This was a man not to be cowed but coerced, the tengu figured.

"Keep your eyes front", he whispered under his breath to Bizkut. "Don't let them catch you looking away", he continued while he did his own furtive check of his surroundings - as well as tried to wrack his brain if he'd heard these names before. The Wormwood was apparently the ship... but who was her master and commander? Was it this Plugg?

Perception check:
[roll0]

Knowledge (Local) untrained:
[roll1]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-09, 07:32 PM
Though you've only been in Port Peril a short time, you have heard that people tend to disappear a lot near the docks, and it isn't too much of a stretch to believe that at least some of these pirates are likely in the same position as you are.

It's also apparent that the captain likes to keep a busy crew, you see them swabbing the floors, tying ropes, and repairing their equipment. You also see a lot of things lying about the ship that may come in handy such as buckets, ropes, hammers, hooks, and spikes.

Cho-Tak knows that the Wormwood is captained by a Barnabas Harrigan, but no more than that.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-09, 08:20 PM
When the recruits were all back in a row and less inclined to stir up trouble, Plugg marched up the stairs and walked out of view on the stern of the ship. He returned a moment later, accompanied by a broad, muscular Garundi man. His long beard was bound in gold rings, his head was shaved clean (there's a lot of shaved heads, you noticed), and a decorative eye patch over his left eye.

"Good morning gentlemen, and lady! Welcome to the Wormwood! Thank you all for 'volunteering' to join my crew. I am Barnabas Harrigan. Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you'll ever address me. I only got two rules aboard this vessel.

"Rule number one: don't speak to me. I like talk, but I don't like your talk. Remember that, and we'll all get along fine.

"Second rule: you aren't allowed to kill anyone. Normally, I wouldn't mind settling matters the old fashioned way, but I'm a bit short on hands right now and I aim to keep what I got. There'll be a keelhaulin' for anyone caught killing anyone.

"Now then Mister Plugg, be a good man and see if you can't make pirates out of these landlubbers. And if it turns out that you can't, then I suppose we'll be having pies tonight. Might as well get some use out of them."

"Yes sir," answers Plugg. Harrigan disappears from view again, presumably to go back to his cabin.

"Swabs," commands Plugg, "see that crows nest up there." He points to a crows nest some sixty feet up. He isn't asking questions. "Start climbing."

"You heard him!" Barks Scourge. "Git movin'!"

Scourge cracks his whip. It seems you've been given your first order.

Everyone make seven or eight climb rolls to reach the crows nest first.

North_Ranger
2012-11-09, 08:31 PM
Cho-Tak listens closely to the captain once he showed up, trying to get a read of the man. Okay, so no talking to the captain... it would have to be Mister Plugg that would get the sweet-talking. But not here, not now. Later, if possible.

"Try and keep up, Biz", Cho-Tak said to the halfling before he rushed to the ropes. Best put his best foot forward here; if he could show this lot what an avid climber he was, he could hope for a chance to take his bow up into the rigging if and when there would be battle.

Jumping into the ropes, Cho-Tak began to climb.

Okay, here goes... Climbing checks.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Athaleon
2012-11-09, 09:05 PM
Kal grudgingly obeys. Do what they say, bide his time, wait for the right moment. But damn, would it grate on his nerves taking orders from these bellends until then.



If the pirates haven't relieved Kal of his armor, subtract 1 from each roll.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Starbin
2012-11-09, 10:17 PM
Bizkut sighed at the speech from the Captain. Always a bully leading sheep ... And this ship was no different. When the order came to climb to the top, he rolled his eyes. Of course, it didn't help that Cho-Tak was making a race of it.

Climbing wasn't his specialty, so all he could hope was that he wouldn't be last. Stepping forward, Bizkut started up the rigging, heading for the crow's nest.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

EDIT: Ah, the dice roller still loves me ... Last place, anyone?

Thattaman
2012-11-10, 04:25 AM
Drex winces at the whipping and instinctively grabs for his medical gear, asumming it's not there. He's suddenly surprised to find his hand grabbing some bandages and a few stiches. When he is ordered to climb the rigging, he must oblige, even if it's only to prove himself as a propper pirate.

Thattaman
2012-11-10, 04:26 AM
Oops, forgot the rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-10, 12:56 PM
Bizkut

All of you had varying degrees of success while climbing, but its safe to say that none of you did worse than Bizkut, who did so poorly he deserves his own post.

Bizkut was off to a bad start from the word "climb", stumbling forward and actually getting caught in the rigging. Since no pirate was that embarrassingly incompetant, Scourge thought that he was trying to stall. The whip cracks just above Bizkuts ear.

"I said CLIMB!"

Not eager to face the whip so soon, Bizkut starts to climb. It was slow going, and you haven't fully discovered your sea legs yet. As Bizkut finally found his groov, a gust of wind suddenly kicked up, startling him and sending him slipping through the rigging. He plummeted from a height of thirty feet before crashing into a mangled heap on the deck of the ship.

"Oooh," the pirates winced in sympathy before breaking out into histarics. Scourge pinched the bridge of his nose, shaking his head as though fighting an oncoming headache.

"Just... just stand over there..." he mutters. Not even Master Scourge could bare to look at you after that miserable performance. The other pirates continued to laugh and jeer.

"The hell was that?"

"E' couldn't hang onto a rope even if he were dancin' the hempen jig! He'd just slip right out!"

"Aye! That's what we'll call em! Slippery Hempen!"

"Slip for short!"

You stand there exposed for all to see as the pirates continue to laugh at your shame.

Slippery Hempen takes 10 falling damage

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-10, 01:16 PM
The rest of you

The race to the top goes as well as could be expected from you. The progression up was slow and steady, but as you neared the top there was a gust of wind that swept over you all.

Kal lost his grip for a sudden gut wrenching moment, but he managed to catch himself before he fell too far.

Toothless (since you didn't know what else to call him) slipped from the rigging, but his foot got tangled in the ropes leaving him to hang upside down from his ankle.

Bizkut fell completely and landed on the deck with a sickening thwack of shattered bones. Sandara stopped climbing and began to make her way down, only to be stopped when Scourge cracked his whip again.

"What're ye doin' climbin' down again? Ye gotta reach the top first!"

This left Cho-Tak and Drex in the lead. It was difficult for Drex to hang onto the ropes from the rush of wind, but he perservered and at the last moment he swung his legs up and over and landed neatly in the crows nest. The race was over.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-10, 02:00 PM
When all of you set foot on deck again, you all stand in a row again save for Sandara who knelt down at Bizkut's side and pressed her hand against him. He feels a sense of energy fill him from the inside, and dulls the ache of his body.

Sandara heals Slippery Hempen [roll0] points

Mr. Plugg walks down from the stern, down the line of new recruits, and stares Drex straight in the eye. He doesn't stare at you in the way you would stare at another human being. It is a very cold, emotionless stare, as though he were silently appraising the worth of a tool rather than the worth of your life.

"Congratulations, you're our new rigger," He says simply, though he sounds like he's congratulating himself.

He steps back to stare at the rest of you with his ice cold eyes.

"Now. Which one of you can cook."

North_Ranger
2012-11-10, 02:38 PM
"You okay, Bizkut?" Cho-Tak asked the halfling as he slid down the rope and back onto the deck. It was hard to read the tengu's face, but he actually looked guilty seeing the halfling down on his back on the deck and receiving healing. "Don't worry, only monkeys know how to climb a rigging at first go", he said as he offered the halfling his hand before they were told to stand attention once more.

Once back in line, Cho-Tak nods once to the man who beat him to the crow's nest. There's no time for idle chit-chat now, but perhaps later on... when Mister Plugg wasn't eyeing them. The question about cooking leaves Cho-Tak clenching his beak shut. The last two captains he had served under had actually told him to steer clear of the galley; apparently some crewmen thought it bad luck to have a jinx eater cooking their meals. Still, he looked around, seeing if anyone else spoke up.

Starbin
2012-11-10, 05:50 PM
Bizkut laid in a heap, breathing raggedly. The fall had broken at least two ribs and was making any movement, including breathing, difficult. Opening his eyes, he watched while the rest of the kidnapped people continued their climb, as the jeers and catcalls continued. Coughing up blood, he spit it at the nearest culprit, staggering to his feet.

I'm almost dead ... I'm taking one of these sanctimonious bastiches with me ... Looking around, he saw a hammer and was reaching for it when a warmth spread across his body, dampening the pain from his injuries.

Blinking, he looked up to see the one wench, attending to his wounds with some sort of magic. Nodding his thanks, he prodded his chest; only a small twinge remained. Standing, he returned to the others, head held high and face set in a stone mask. At Cho-Tak's question, he simply waved the tengu away ... his pride was injured more than his body now, but he still was a bit sullen from the sudden use of the term slip. When Plugg asked who can cook, he simply stared into the distance, not even moving. If it were possible, his cooking was worse than his climbing, and that was saying something.

Good lord, I'm glad I didn't pick any other psychological pressure points for these f(*kers to use against me! Hope at some point Bizkut can transition from ship's clown to at least back-up clown. Yeesh, those rolls sucked.

Athaleon
2012-11-12, 12:48 AM
Kal's stomach heaved in the swaying rigging, but adrenaline and bloody-minded determination kept him going. At length, he made it to the top (though well behind the two leaders) and made his halting way back down.

He winced as his fellow prisoner fell to the deck in a heap, and moved instinctively towards him to try to help. Apparently the pirates had a healer, though, and her magic would be more powerful than anything Kal could perform without tools or ingredients.

When the question came, Kal remained silent. He couldn't cook worth a damn, and he sure wouldn't be the one in the kitchen when the time came to poison a few plates.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-14, 03:39 PM
Mr. Plugg looks over each of you with his cold blue eyes, trying to judge which tool would be the best for the job. He doesn't even so much as bat an eye at your silence. After a few, uncomfortable moments, he finally chooses one of you for the job.

"You," he said, looking hard at Bizkut, "down those stairs to the middle hold, and make your way back towards the stern. When you come to a room that smells of filth, cheap rum and old piss you're at the right place. Master Scourge, I'll leave the rest to your capable hands."

"Aye, sir Mister Plugg sir," says Scourge, even as Plugg walks away.

Starbin
2012-11-15, 11:26 AM
Bizkut never even looked at Plugg, simply turning and walking away in the directions given. He didn't acknowledge anyone else - not that he didn't appreciate some of the sentiments and aid the others had given, but it seemed to make him a magnet for more crap.

Once he was out of sight, Bizkut started looking for something to arm himself ... saps, marlin spikes, pointy sticks, rocks ... whatever would work. When he reached the cesspool of odors, he walked in and looked around.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-16, 05:32 PM
After Plugg and Bizkut took their leave, Master Scourge sneers at you, the earlier whipping having put him in a much better mood.

"Listen up, ye swabs! I am Master Scourge, Boatswain and Master-at-Arms here on this good ship, an' that means that I give ye the orders, an' if'n I don' like how ye do, ye all get a date with the mizzenmast. An' if ye out right refuse, that's three lashes. Back talk 'll git ye three more, an' a poor days work 'll earn ye a wage of seven lashes. An' if none of ye like it, then ye had better start swimmin'!"

He looks at the wench standing in line with you, and his features soften as a smarmy putrid grin spreads across his face.

"O' course, it don't always have ta be so," he says, leaning close to her, "I've been known to show lenniancy to those who earned my favor."

"Oh my," she says.

"Indeed. A pirate ship is a dangerous place, especially fer a comely young wench. It'd be smart to stand in my good graces. I got mates in high stations, ye see."

"I do see," she says, smiling coyly at him, "there are certain advantages to stand behind such a big powerful man. Come here Master Scourge,"

Scourge beams at this prospect, and steps towards her.

"Closer... closer still..."

Scourge did lean close to her, and right into her palm as it smacked him across the face.

"Not for all the plunder in Besmara's hold," she said, her tone and smile never faultering away from seductive.

Scourge clenched his fist, as if to backhand her, before thinking of something better.

"The bilges!" He spat through his teeth, "A day cleaning the bilges 'll take the fight out of ye!"

She doesn't make any further comment as she makes her way below decks.

"You," he says to Drex, "up those ropes, and just do whatever it is Ratline wants you to do.

"And as for you two," he looks pointedly at Kal and Cho-Tak, handing them a pair of buckets, "we got rats in the hold, and dey ain't gonna catch demselves. Do a good job of it, and ye'll earn a good dinner."

He stands there, wringing his whip at his side, as though daring you to speak up against him.

North_Ranger
2012-11-16, 05:37 PM
"Give me my blade and my axe, and we'll get you enough rats to feed the bloody ship", Cho-Tak quorks as he picks up his bucket. "And give me back the tools your wharf rats stole from me; if I see any leaks down there, I can see about patching them up."

If Scourge looks like he is going to put that whip of his to good use, Cho-Tak puffs up his feathers, ready to give him another dose of a jinx eater's evil eye...

In that case... Intimidate roll: [roll0]

Thattaman
2012-11-17, 03:51 AM
Drex climbs up the rigging, wondering who Ratline is. He feels oddly proud of Samantha as she hits that horrible Master Scourge, this is not a good ship. He feels naked without his gun at his belt and occasionally subconciouslly grabs for it.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-17, 10:07 PM
Cho-Tak

Your demands makes Scourge laugh at you, and you aren't entirely sure if that's a good thing or not. He eventually calms down enough to talk again.

"Aww, now that's just cute. The big bird needs his big ol' sword ta take care o' a few li'l mice. I thought ye Jinx Eaters were crows, not chickens. No, yer gonna catch 'em mice with yer purdy li'l claws, an' I don't care whether ye likes it or not. Now shut yer beak an' git ta work!"

He whirls his whip about and cracks it with a flourish. Just how long do you expect superstition to keep you safe?

Scourge uses Intimidate
[roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-17, 11:20 PM
Bizkut

The middle hold for now is a large empty space. You see a big powerful-looking man sleeping in the far corner, chained to the foremast like a dog. A soiled cooking pot was near him. You didn't need to look inside to tell what it was used for, the smell wafting from it was more than strong enough.

You also see a total of 14 pigs, all caged against a wall of a ship. All it takes is a single glance around the hold to know that there weren't any available weapons, not unless you intend to find a way to smuggle a ballista in your pants. There were two of them ready for use in the hold, as well as pieces of another seige weapon laying unused.

The room in question was easy enough to find. It was to your immediate right, judging from the smell. You open the door and find yourself in a chaotic mess. A score of cackling chickens locked up in cages are stacked one on top of each other, and all manner of filth cover the floor. A trio of goats roam free in this room, one of them even managed to make his way inside a barrel of fresh vegetables and was chewing away happily on a head of lettuce. You also see stoves and cooking utensils, and you realize that this unsanitary mess was supposed to be the galley.

And in the center of all this chaos was a small fat man laying sprawled out on the floor, flies buzzing around him. A black rooster sat on his fat belly, pecking at nodules of encrusted food on his soiled apron, and a cooking pot sat over his head. He lays very still.

Perception check
[roll0]

You do manage to find serviceable weapons in this room. There is a row of three harpoons and a spear hanging on a far wall, and sitting on a counter is a dagger that was being used as a butcher knife. The dagger needed cleaning and was intended for a larger creature than you, but it was still of a masterwork quality and could easily make do until you can find something better.

Starbin
2012-11-18, 01:56 AM
Bizkut made note of the big man chained up, wondering what his crime (if any) was. Of course, if it was madness, best to not get to close. Leaving the smell from the man's used chamber pot, he soon found himself in the equally disgusting smell of what passed for a kitchen. A quick glance around found a number of useable weapons, but the one that stood out was the knife. He noted the goats eating the vegetables and the still man in the middle of the floor, but first things first. Moving quickly and cautiously, Bizkut kept out of the man's reach and grabbed the knife, sticking in in his belt loop for now.

Once he was armed, he turned to the comatose man and nudged his legs with a foot. "You alive in there?"

North_Ranger
2012-11-18, 04:51 AM
"Crows know how to use their heads", Cho-Tak snorted back. "Chickens only lose theirs", he continued, doing his best so as not to let Scourge see the shiver running down his back. Careful with this one, the tengu told himself, definitely not wanting to feel the kiss of that whip on his back. "But if you want the job done slowly and slobbily instead of quickly and neatly... hey, no skin off my beak. I just wonder what the captain'll think of that"

Intimidate: [roll0]

EDIT: Okay, twice in a row the exact same result on the exact same roll? I call shenanigans, forum roller!

Still, he could not completely hold his beak shut. His bucket slung over his shoulder, the bird-man took a look at Kal. "Come on, let's go... Otherwise we'll hear some more words of wisdom from this philosopher."

Athaleon
2012-11-19, 11:32 AM
Kal was still feeling miserable, and could do no more than nod and follow. He had considered leaving out poisoned bait for the rats, but then realized that the rats are probably what's for dinner. That thought twisted his stomach some more.

Thattaman
2012-11-19, 12:21 PM
Drex sits at the top of the crow's nest after climbing the rigging and waits for Ratline. He views the crew from the top. He was just about to find a good pirate ship, have a crew of his own and work along side Sandara. But now he was fated to be a rigger until he could get off this ship and judging by the people here, it would be a blood bath and his blood would be the one getting shed. He needed to make friends among here, starting with the other press-ganged members. The halfling and jinx-eater should be a good start.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-19, 04:31 PM
Bizkut

"You alive in there?"

The man rouses from your prodding, rising unsteadily into a sitting position, knocking the cockerel to the ground. He lifts the cooking pot up enough to see, blinking his weary eyes at the dank light of the galley. He looks blearily at you, and you can tell from his breath that he had been drinking before you managed to wake him up.

"Eh? Who... who're you?"

Starbin
2012-11-19, 04:46 PM
Bizkut glanced around, shaking his head. "A newcomer. How's this gig work? You cook some, drink more, then let the damn goats eat all the food? Get up and show me the ropes before we both get flogged."

Now that he has the knife, Bizkut is a little more confident. Besides, if he established a pecking order here, he might avoid being crapped on.

And if it didn't work, he could always kill the cook and feed him to the crew ...

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-19, 05:33 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

"Crows know how to use their heads. Chickens only lose theirs."

Scourge smirks, though you can't tell whether or not he knows he managed to unnerve you. "Heh. Like I says, a chicken. Now git movin' Chicken Scratch, I won't be tellin' ye again."

You both make your way back down to the lower hold to spend your day catching rats, but down there, you see a pirate with a purple scarf around his head at the crew lockers, fiddling with one of the locks.

"C'mon, c'mon you little... Ah, open. Not here either... Damnit Jake, where'd ye stash it?"

North_Ranger
2012-11-19, 05:49 PM
I'm going to be pecking your eyes out before this trip is over, Cho-Tak muses to himself as he and his new companion make their way below decks. He would have Master Scourge kissing his talons, one way or the other...

Finding the would-be thief, however... now that caught the bird-man's attention better than sloshing knee-deep in bilgewater and crap. Grinning, the tengu motions Kal to be quiet as he sneaks closer to the thief, planning to catch the varmint red-handed.

Rolling Stealth... [roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-19, 06:20 PM
Drex

Drex looks down at the crew from his vantage point, and they all seem to be hard at work, though you can hardly make them out. You also see a small jolly boat hanging from the port railing, but land will be soon out of sight before you can plan a proper escape.

Down below, you can see Scourge getting into an argument with another halfling. You can't really make out what is said, being as high up as you are and the wind blowing in your ears, but you do see that the little halfling man is completely cowed by the towering Master Scourge. Scourge points in your direction, and the halfling starts his ascent as quickly as he could.

You get a better look at him once he climbs into the crows nest. He was a small man, even for a halfling, and very thin. He had big round ears, a narrow face, and large buck teeth. He was also missing three of his fingers, a ring and pinkie finger on his left and his pinkie on his right. He looked at you nervously, as though ready to dash and hide in a hole at the slightest provocation.

"H-hey, uh, I've just had a talk with S-s-scourge. He wanted me to, eh, g-g-give you a job. C-cause t-that's what ye do on ships... work... on jobs..."

He looks at your face, trying to gage your reaction.

"S-s-so, uhm, r-ready to be shown the ropes?" He laughs a little at his own joke, though it was far from real mirth, "Haha... heh... j-just a lit-t-le riggor humor. Heh, f-funny right?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-19, 10:12 PM
Cho-Tak

Your talons hardly make a sound, as you sneak up on the would be theif who was still checking the locker to see if it really was as empty as it appeared to be.

"It's not like e'll be takin' it with em. E' should at least talk afore 'is keelhaulin'. Rrrgh... damned Jakes... damned elf... Damned Hangover!"

North_Ranger
2012-11-19, 10:25 PM
Seeing the thief busy with his failing efforts at breaking the lock, Cho-Tak seizes the moment and attempts to grapple the man from behind.

CMB check, yes? [roll0]

"Easy now, buddy. Don't fight it. We don't want Master Scourge to hear no scuffling an' come looking, right?" Cho-Tak quorks to the man's ear as he tries to lock his arms in place.

And Intimidate: [roll1]

"What you think you's doing in here, huh?"

Thattaman
2012-11-20, 12:54 PM
How'd someone like him find a place on a pirate ship like this? Drex thought to himself. Now, time to make some friends. "So you're Ratline I assume, you don't seem like a proper pirate, so I know that I can throw you off the rigging without much trouble. With that in mind, I'm going to ask some questions. Where's my gun? If you tell me then I won't shoot you with it when I get it. Also, is there a ship surgeon? I would rather heal people right now."

Thattaman
2012-11-20, 12:55 PM
I'll probably need an intimidation roll: [roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-21, 09:00 PM
Bizkut

The drunken cook blinks his eyes slowly as intelligent thought began its slow climb through his rum fogged brain. A goat walked up to his side and began licking his sweaty cheek before something that looked like recognition passed over his face.

"... oh right... we were in port today, weren't we. Huh, that must make ye our new recruit now, wouldn't it. Ye poor, poor bastard. Welp, a pleasure ta meet ye Ahnuu Kommer," he says, leaning forward to shake your hand, "well, as far as pleasure goes on a ship like Wormwood anyhow. Names Kroop, Ambrose Kroop, but I suppose most folks just call me 'Fishguts' these days."

He suddenly startles awake, surprised to find a goat licking him during this short exchange.

"Bill! What're ye doin' outta yer pen?"

He rolls up onto his feet, his bones cracking all the while. With a few gentle prods and soft noises, he managed to herd the goats back into their pen.

"Now then, I suppose ye'll be wantin' a tour right?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-21, 09:27 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

"F***ing Sh*t!"

Cho-Tak pulls the pirate thief away from the locker and wrestles him to the ground, locking his arms under the pirates and behind his head effectively immobilizing him.

"Easy now, buddy. Don't fight it. We don't want Master Scourge to hear no scuffling an' come looking, right?" Cho-Tak quorks to the man's ear as he tries to lock his arms in place.

"F*** Scourge, e' ain't nothin' but a gutless worm," he spits through his teeth, but he isn't struggling anymore than he ought to be able to.

"What you think you's doing in here, huh?"

"I'm liberating stolen property. Whaddaya think I'm doin'?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-21, 10:07 PM
Drex

You see the color drain completely from the man's hairy little face, and he starts shaking more than he was before.

"I-I-I'm s-s-sorry s-s-s-sir! S-s-so, s-s-so v-v-very s-s-sorry!" He stutters, "Blt-bl-blr-bble..."

He takes a few deep shakey breaths to try and calm himself, very nearly hyperventilating. You very nearly think he is about to pass out, but eventually he manages to calm himself to be able to speak as he normally could.

"A-all your b-belongings should be in the q-quartermasters store, through the g-galley. J-just talk to Cut-Throat Grok. A-anyway, I-I'm just here to t-t-tell you that the rigging on the foremast n-needs maintaining. T-t-there's no way t-to change your j-jobs on the Wormwood. When they g-g-give you a j-job you'd better do it! You'd b-b-better do it... o-or else they... t-t-t-..."

Without any further word, Ratline dives out of the crows nest, quickly climbing his way across the rope bridge towards the mizzenmast. Its surprising how such a little guy can climb so very fast. Down below, you can make out Master Scourge laughing at the little show.

Starbin
2012-11-21, 11:48 PM
Bizkut watched as the cook hustled the goats back. He wasn't quite sure what to make of the man, but if Kroop had the balls to get pissed in the 'kitchen,' then he must have some skill. Maybe this job wouldn't be as bad as he thought. "If I have to work here, then show me how to keep the lash off our backs."

Glancing around, he nodded towards Kroop. "And call me Bizket."

North_Ranger
2012-11-22, 06:18 AM
Cho-Tak and Kal

"F***ing Sh*t!"

Cho-Tak pulls the pirate thief away from the locker and wrestles him to the ground, locking his arms under the pirates and behind his head effectively immobilizing him.

"Easy now, buddy. Don't fight it. We don't want Master Scourge to hear no scuffling an' come looking, right?" Cho-Tak quorks to the man's ear as he tries to lock his arms in place.

"F*** Scourge, e' ain't nothin' but a gutless worm," he spits through his teeth, but he isn't struggling anymore than he ought to be able to.

"What you think you's doing in here, huh?"

"I'm liberating stolen property. Whaddaya think I'm doin'?"

"A thief stealing stolen property?" Cho-Tak laughs as he holds the man down, eyeing him calmly. "I don't know about Scourge and his worm - frankly, I'd rather keep it that way - but I reckon he'll be more pleased with me and my pal here if we haul you top-side and tell what you've been up to."

"That is... unless you have something for us, friend. You know, something that will help us forget this ever happened", the tengu suggests with a wide, avian grin on his feathered features. "We can start with names, like decent folks. I'm Cho-Tak. That's Kal. And you is...?"

Intimidate to make the fellow understand his rather precarious position:
[roll0]


And then Diplomacy to see if he's willing to parlay. Could use some aid another action here...
[roll1]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-22, 10:58 AM
Cho-Tak and Kal

"Whu? Dat's it? Dat's yer big plan?" asked the incredulous pirate, "Yer'all gonna be a tattlin' on me? Ha! Alls ye did was catch me pokin' roun' a crewmate's locker. A soon ta be dead crewmates locker."

He gasps in mock realization.

"Why, dats enough fer Three. Whole. Lashes. Whoopty-sh*t. I'm more'n man enough ta take three lashes. Hells, ye kin even tells him all about what I says 'bout his worm too. It'll be worth the seven lashes jus' ta see the stupid-ass look on his face. Face it bird-man, ye aint got sh*t on me!"

Thattaman
2012-11-22, 10:59 AM
Drex keeps his ammusement to him self as the tiny man ran down the rigging but once he's gone, he bursts out laughing. It was funny how he managed to scare someone even though Drex still looks a bit like a child boy mimself. He then gets on with his work making sure he remembers the name Grok.

What checks should I make for the work?

North_Ranger
2012-11-22, 03:37 PM
"Soon ta be, huh? Didn't Scourge say just now there's not to be no killing amongst the crew? I reckon he won't like that kinda talk much neither."

"Although... I'm thinkin' you're not after a pare of spare boots or anything. Something more valuable, perhaps? Something that this elf on his way to Besmara's locker has put in hiding?" Cho-Tak then suggested, trying to see if the pirate was more susceptible to honey than vinegar. "Something that'll likely end up in hiding if anyone gets a wind of you snoopin' around, I reckon? That'll sting you more than the three lashes on your backside."

"Of course, I don't have to tell Scourge nothing. Especially if there's something in it for me an' my pal here. Hm? Think we can talk about that like civilized folks?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-24, 01:52 PM
Cho-Tak

"Well, I've never known a man to survive a keelhaulin' before," said the pirate, "So e' might as well be a dead man."

"Although... I'm thinkin' you're not after a pare of spare boots or anything. Something more valuable, perhaps? Something that this elf on his way to Besmara's locker has put in hiding?" Cho-Tak then suggested, trying to see if the pirate was more susceptible to honey than vinegar. "Something that'll likely end up in hiding if anyone gets a wind of you snoopin' around, I reckon? That'll sting you more than the three lashes on your backside."

"Of course, I don't have to tell Scourge nothing. Especially if there's something in it for me an' my pal here. Hm? Think we can talk about that like civilized folks?"

"I oughta stop talkin' ta meself," groused the pirate, "but ye still don't gotta bloody clue as ta what I'm talkin' about. Ye think I'm lookin' fer some bloody elf treasure, doncha? The way I sees it, yer just more competition, only I's got the advantage since I actually know what I'm lookin fer. So if ye don't actually have a good reason why I should cut ye in on this, I think I'd like ta go on deck an take my lashing."

North_Ranger
2012-11-24, 02:11 PM
"Weeeeell... one of us just might mention that it looked like you was looking for something of value. Out loud. On the deck. With every hand listening. By the time you're done getting your lashes, someone might've found your prize already, leaving you with empty hands and a burning back", Cho-Tak muses, shrugging his shoulders. "The way I figure, a third of a prize is better than no prize at all. Wouldn't you agree?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-24, 03:00 PM
Bizkut

"Eh? Biscuits?" asks Kroop, "No thanks, I's a'ready ate breakfast... I thinks...

"Well, dere's no stoppin' da lash on dis ship. It ain't a matter a if, is a matter a when. But we'll see if we can't keep de worse offa us. Right den! Goats! Chickens! Eggs!" He points out their respective positions as he wobbles unsteadily about.

"Dere's da work tables, da stoves, pots and pans above the stoves wut few dere are. An' over dere we gots our tools; forks, ladles, tenderizers, choppin' boards and... izzat one o' me good knives?" He looks down at the dagger secured into your belt.

"Well, I s'ppose ye kin hang onto it if it makes ye feel any better. Might actually come in handy, jus' make sure ye don't kill anyone wif it. A keelhaulin' aint a purtty sight.

"An' in these cupboards are da biscuits, meats, vegetables, an'... da pies..." He looks uncomfortable all of a sudden, "Eh... don' eat da pies...

"An' in da cupboards below is where I keeps da sauerkraut, spices, water barrels, and me rum. If yer good, maybe I'll think a' lettin ye 'ave sum.

"An' that door leads to da quartermasters store. It's run by me good mate Grok. A good woman she is... a good mate almost makes it all bearable..."

You catch him staring whistfully at the door, before he catches himself. He looks down at you, and continues on.

"Don' worry too much 'bout actually cookin', I'll be doin' most o' da work. Supposin' I ain't drunk a 'course. If I'm drunk, start worryin'. Now den, any questions?"

Athaleon
2012-11-24, 07:31 PM
Ooh, lordy. Whatever gambit his new best friend was trying to pull, Kal was too dazed to do anything other than hold down the contents of his stomach while trying to feign stoic menace. Better let him do the talking.

Starbin
2012-11-25, 03:04 AM
Bizkut tried to memorize everything the 'cook' said, noting the location of various foods and spices. When the cook finished, he found he did have some questions. "So, who's locked up in the area over there? Does Grok have our stuff?

And what's in the pies?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-25, 06:07 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

The pirate grumbles angrily on the floor, trying and failing to find a counter argument, but still relunctant to admit defeat.

"Grr... Mother... Fine! I'll tell ye what I know, jus' git offa me already!"

The pirate staggers back onto his feet, and now that Kal got a good look at him he was able to recognize him as the pirate that he got into a drinking contest just last night. Unfortunately, the pirate seems to recognize you too.

"You! Oh, you son'ova bitch! Why'd ya go an' walk off! All it'd take was one last drink an' yer gold woulda been mine! Now it's sittin in the cap'n's coffers! Now I gots dis headache fer f***ing nothing!"

Kal see's his face begin to twitch, suspecting that he might be in pain, from the headache no doubt. It seemed to get worse the angrier he got, and the worse his headache got only caused him to become even more angry. Fortunately for both you and he, the pirate seemed to drudge up some reserve of willpower to calm himself somewhat, though he still paces angrily about.

"Right... right... I'll tells ye all about it.

"The night before we came into port, the quartermaster noticed that a large stash of suplies had recently gone missing from her store. It didn't happen all at once you see, a misplaced dagger here a bit of gold there, those sorts of things happen all the time. But after a while it all starts to add up, see, an' after a while of this goin' on there was only one conclusion that could be made: someone was stealin'.

"The cap'n was furious, an' he sent Plugg an' Scourge after im, an' they soon got im too. One Jakes Magpie. They grabbed im, an' dragged im down below decks. Everyone heard im down there. Thems horrible... inhuman screams... weren't no surprise that Jakes broke an told, and Plugg and Scourge recovered most of the stolen loot. See what I'm gettin' at?

"Ye see, Jakes knew 'e was gonna die anyhow. No one steals from the cap'n and lives, an' not given him everythin' he wants before he's sent to Besmara's Locker is like pissin' in his good eye. They stuck him in the box fer three days, then strung him up in the bilges, and tonight's his keelhaulin'.

"Jakes won't tell where he stashed the rest of the stolen loot, and there's no end of places where it could be. The Wormwood used ta be an old smuggling ship, lots of little hidey holes here and there, and rumor is that not even Harrigan his'self knows it all.

"An there's ya have it, the great mystery of the wormwood. I'm what ye would call a collector of unattended objects, so I couldn't quite help meself to a bit of treasure. Everyone knows about the stashed loot, but no one wants word to get out that they're actually lookin' for it. Accidents happen on board, an' there's no tellin' what the Cap'n will do to ye if he should find out. So hows about it? Ye game lads?"

Thattaman
2012-11-26, 11:21 AM
Drex finishes his day at work, annoyed that he got such a bad job. Rigger. Who wants to be climbing rope? He jumps down, landing hard but managing to stay upright. He then searches the ship for anyone he recognises, mainly the Slip and Jinx-Eater. He finds the halfling in the kitchen helping with the cooking. He grabs a knife behind their backs and hides it on his body, some protection is always nice. "Hey, Halfling, we haven't been introduced properly and yet we're both in exactly the same situation, you have a slightly better job but that's about it. I'm Drex, this is my thirteenth pirate ship, I'm usually the ship surgeon, but that's obviously not what's meant to happen today. I know the ins and outs of piracy, so I thought it would be best if us newbies stuck together."

North_Ranger
2012-11-26, 02:43 PM
"Hmmm... so what we have here is a chance to get some valuables and to screw over Scourge. Ee-hee-heenteresting", Cho-Tak chuckles, rubbing his downy chin. "Whaddaya say, Kal? Do we lend this fine gentleman a hand at finding and spending good ol' Jakes Magpie's inheritance?"

Cho-Tak's mind was already racing as he waited for the other man to have his say. He had worked with a ship's carpenter or two, and thought such knowledge might be of use when figuring out places for secret storage spaces. Finding such places would demand some knowledge of how a ship worked, especially if they were built-in. A poor choice of space could easily jeopardize the ship, or at least make her swim like a sea cow with a stroke.

Just in case, roll Sense Motive to see how much this guy is trying to pull our leg...
[roll0]

Also, would Craft (ships) be of any use in figuring out possible secret compartments and such used by smugglers?

Athaleon
2012-11-26, 05:55 PM
"I don't see why not, especially if we're supposed to be down here hunting petty irritants to begin with." Kal forces a smirk as he tries to figure out if they were being told the whole truth.


Aiding the Sense Motive roll:
[roll0]

Edit: Profession: Sailor might be of some help there too.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-30, 11:06 PM
Thattaman

Your skill checks for your job involve six (6) DC 10 climb checks and one (1) DC 10 Profession: Sailor or Dexterity Check.

You can also take a -2 penalty for one extra ship action, such as exploring the ship or visiting Grok's shop.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-11-30, 11:51 PM
Kal and Cho-Tak

The pirate looks pissed, though that seems to be his natural state. He also grumbles angrily to himself, and he reminds you of a man who just lost a good sum of money. You can make an educated guess that he is pissed at having told you about the hidden treasure. He does seem to smirk a little when Cho-Tak mentions pulling one over on Scourge.

"Heh, that's the right attitude," the pirate makes another check to make sure no one is listening before continueing on, "I never did like that bitch.

"Now here's what I'm figurin'. I don't think we'll have much luck if we look about the ship with no plan, the ship is too big to search through in a day, an the only one who knows where it is, is ol Jakes himself. He's still down there in the bilges, beaten within an inch of his life, but alive for now. Ye kin still talk to him, if ye think ye kin actually git him to talk. He hasn't spoken a word of the treasure to anyone."

You both need to make a successful DC 10 Survival check, Stealth check, or Dexterity check to kill enough rats to be successful for the day. You will also be taking a -2 penalty if you want to go treasure hunting.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-01, 12:19 AM
Bizkut

"Well, she oughta," said Kroop, "she woul'n't be doin 'er job if'n she di'n't."

"What's in the pies?"

Kroop didn't say anything for a long while. Instead, he pulled out his bottle of rum and knocked it back. You're not entirely sure where he got it from, but he seemed intent on finishing it before speaking again.

"Right then! Les git ta work, shall we lad?" He waddles over to a nearby stove, and prepares to start cooking.

"Now then, the thing ta know when makin' fish rowe stew is ta throw in a bunch'a spices ta make it go down easier. There's a lot o' essential vitamins in fish rowe, an' I'll be damned if I jus let it go ta waste. Ye want ta dice the liver into fine strips, and be sure ta rinse out da stomach and intestines with spiced rum ta flush out as many parasites as ye can, but da eyes ye want ta be leavin' whole so's the oils kin mix proper. Now ere's some rowe I've prepared earlier..."

Just then, a man that you recognize as a fellow new 'recruit' from this morning appears and begins talking to you.

"Who the devil are ye?! The evening meal's not due for several more hours. If ye want ta talk ta Grok, she's through that door behind ye."

Starbin
2012-12-01, 02:53 AM
Bizkut's eyes narrowed, as much from what the cook didn't answer as what he did. No word on who was locked up, and no word on what was in the pies. Probably best to listen to the man on that one.

For the next few minutes, he was tutored on the art of 'cooking' some sort of fish stew. It seemed simply enough, but Bizkut was sure he'd find a way to make a mistake. Of course, as long as he had the knife, nobody was going to beat him like before.

As he started to take a turn cutting and washing the rowe, one of the men from the bar last night showed up ... the one who was apparently the new rigger. "Hey, Halfling, we haven't been introduced properly and yet we're both in exactly the same situation, you have a slightly better job but that's about it. I'm Drex, this is my thirteenth pirate ship, I'm usually the ship surgeon, but that's obviously not what's meant to happen today. I know the ins and outs of piracy, so I thought it would be best if us newbies stuck together."

Glancing at the cook and Drex, Bizkut nodded guardedly. "Sure, strength in numbers. Not sure who got the best job, but let's hope I can do this one better than climbing ... else we might all die of food poisoning."

Looking back to the cook, he asked, "Will Grok give us back our stuff? And is she in charge of the locked up man?"

Thattaman
2012-12-01, 05:04 AM
Climb checks, I suppose I probably have to -2 because I went to speak to Bizkut, if so, minus two from each of these.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Dex check:
[roll6]

Stealth check to take the knife.
[roll7]

North_Ranger
2012-12-01, 06:00 AM
"Hmm... I reckon we need to talk to him, then. Or at least see if he can be persuaded to talk", Cho-Tak said thoughtfully once the man was done offering his plan of action. "We'll see what can be done. Tha' being said, was there any particular place aboard where he spent a lot of time in? It doesn't seem like Scourge's the type to let off-duty men wander about..."

"Also, we'd still like ta hear your name, friend", the bird-man said at the end, grinning to the cursing man. "Makes it easier ta find ya once we's got the treasure..." - or if you decide to screw us over, the tengu mused but wisely chose not to say that out loud.

North_Ranger
2012-12-01, 06:03 AM
Oh, almost forgot... Yeah, Cho-Tak's definitely going treasure-hunting, so here's the Survival roll with the -2 penalty counted in:

[roll0]

Is it possible to aid another in this check? In case one of us rolls poorly...

Athaleon
2012-12-01, 11:52 AM
Dexterity check here, with the -2 penalty: [roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-01, 11:47 PM
Kal and Cho-Tak
"Aye, aye. Names Cog, Crimson Cog," grunts the pirate, "Not that I'm pleased ta meet ye or anything...

"As ta where 'e's been? Well, he was a swabbie like us. That means he got sent all over the ship doin' odd jobs here and there, so it weren't that unusual finding him in different places. He was smart like that, seemed inconspicuous, hiding 'em under the pretense of doin' work. But I can tell ye that he spent a lotta time below decks, so its likely either in the middle deck or lower deck.

"If you want to talk with Jakes, he's down in the bilges over there. I gotta tell ye though, I don't think intimidation's gonna git ye far. Some men get brave when they know they're about ta die, an' Jakes knows he ain't got nothin ta lose."

The adventure path doesn't mention anything about players helping each other with their jobs. I'm sure the implication is that a successful roll is required to fill your own respective buckets, but since you two are working together in this job, I will allow the +2 aid roll to be successful.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-01, 11:58 PM
Bizkut

"Well, I 'spose she would, if ye ask nicely. But, the locked up man?"

Kroop looks confused for a brief moment, before he manages to think of an answer.

"Well, da only locked up man is down in the bilges. 'Is names Jakes Magpie, due for a Keelhaulin'. Got caught stealin' from Grok, an' she manages the Cap'ns booty. I ain't too powerful upset 'bout it, cuz if'n 'e weren't caught den it'd be Grok at the end 'o that rope fer losin' them in da first place. Strange though, I don't rightly 'member bringin' 'im up..."

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-02, 12:01 AM
Drex

You slip a little on the rope ladder in your haste to be done early, but all your experience working on sailing vessels and you completed your task admirably. You know have one ship action to spend.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-02, 12:03 AM
Drex

You slip a little on the rope ladder in your haste to be done early, but all your experience working on sailing vessels and you completed your task admirably. You now have one ship action to spend.

North_Ranger
2012-12-02, 06:59 AM
I suppose we still need to do the actual roll, yes? Kal's got his bucket full, Cho-Tak is just on the cusp ;)

Cho-Tak quorks and rubs his chin at the new information. Well, that didn't make their job any easier... then again, if this were easy to begin with, this Cog fellow would have surely found the treasure by himself.

"Fair enough. Still, we needs make this due and proper. Swear that whoever finds the treasure lets the other two know so we can divvy it, or be condemned to Besmara's locker. You got a knife there on ya, Cog? Scourge took all of ours, and I reckon he ain't giving them back for a while."

Athaleon
2012-12-02, 10:12 PM
"Sounds fair to me." After a brief pause to mull it over, Kal continues, "I don't intend to try to intimidate a man who's already been broken. Maybe some positive persuasion might work I'll bet he has business to take care of before he buys the farm."

Starbin
2012-12-03, 06:58 PM
Bizkut nodded to the cook, then nodded to Drex. "I still have to learn how to cook ... you wanna check and see what it will take to get our stuff back?"

Turning back to Kroop, he waved for the man to continue the lessons. As they worked, he tried to establish a rapport with the man. "So, how long you been on this ship? Was it voluntary?"

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-08, 11:38 PM
Oh this is just awful of me. I sure hope you guys are still there. Just tough it out with me for just one more week, and we'll return to a regular posting schedule.

Cho-Tak and Kal

"Wha? Oh no I don't," he says, his sword and dagger in clear view, "I'll let ye in on this little treasure hunt, but that don't make us friends. This is only so's ye don't go runnin' yer mouth. If its weapon's ye want, then ye talk ta Grok, just through the galley, but don't go crawlin' ta me. Savvy?

"Persuadin's just what I was thinkin'. But the only persuadin' I do is with me right and me left. Hope one of youse is a silver tongued devil."

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-08, 11:58 PM
Bizkut

Kroop spent most of his time staring at the man who just walked into his galley, making it clear that he just wants him to go about his business. He turns back to his work once its clear that his new mate wants to continue working.

"So, how long you been on this ship? Was it voluntary?"

Kroop sighs, "Aye, at first. At first..."

Thattaman
2012-12-09, 04:04 AM
Drex finds Grok on the ship and approaches her. "You are Grok, are you not?"Drex begins, "I have heard that you are the owner of both my equipment and all the other people who have been press-ganged. I was wondering if I can have my gun back, I don't need anything else, just my pistol. And yet I know that that alone isn't enough to persuade you. So I have a proposal to make: I am a trained surgeon on pirate ships and your ship may need my expertise to keep the people alive. However, your more interested in getting stuff for yourself, entirely understandable, I can be your personal surgeon or anything you see fit to make me, in return for my gun and maybe some bullets and black powder."

Diplomacy roll: [roll0]
As you can probably tell, I'm taking the influence action.

North_Ranger
2012-12-09, 06:05 AM
Cho-Tak made a small clicking sound with his beak when Cog refused to take the oath. Better make sure we find the treasure first, then, the press-ganged tengu pondered. If he finds it first, we're not gonna get a bent copper penny out of it.

"We'll see", he spoke out loud. "We'll see indeed. Thankee about mentionin' Grok, though. If you happens ta see him, though, I trust you mentions how fine and upstanding fellas me and Kal here are. Who knows? Maybe one a' these days I's gonna save yer life. I'm a mean shot with a bow, I am", the birdman chuckles before he turns to his comrade-in-... buckets, at the moment.

"Shall we be off, then? And see how silvery your tongue is?"


No problems, Steve. December's a busy month for everybody. One of my other games actually lost a DM because of it. But I already ranted about that in the OOC :smallwink:

Starbin
2012-12-10, 07:14 PM
Once Drex departed, Bizkut returned to his work. The halfling nodded in response to Kroop's comments, with the appropriate "Mmm hmm ..." added in. He knows that silence will often draw people into speech more than prodding, so he waited, following the man's instructions as he went.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-17, 11:03 PM
I sure hope that everyone is actually still around. The good news is that this semester is now over, and I'm back for good, so you can now expect a good posting rate from me again. I can promise that this time. So lets get back to the game.

Bizkut

A long moment of silence pervaded the galley, interrupted only by clucking chickens, bleating goats, and the preparation of fish rowe. After preping and gutting another fish, Kroop decided to talk again.

"I don't think I needs ta tell ye what kinda ship this is. I'd-ah left this ship long before now if'n I could, but Cap'n Harrigan ain't keen on lettin' me leave. I'm his now, ye see? All cause ah one night when I was drunk an' brave.

"It's poison, this ship, but don't let anyone hear ye say it out loud. The hull has ears, ye see, and the Cap'n hears all. Poison the Wormwood is, rotten to the core. Harrigan's the meanest man ye'll ever meet in all yer days at sea, an' his crew's the same, specially his first mate Mr. Plugg. It's like he ain't got a soul. He'd sell his own mother to the butcher to make pies of he would, an I wouldn't be surprised if he'd done it already. They leaves me alone, mostly. They knows I can't 'arm em."

Starbin
2012-12-18, 12:49 AM
Bizkut nodded sagely, but deep down he was somewhat disturbed. Was this just sea-talk mumbo-jumbo, or was there really a curse on this ship? What had Kroop done that locked him here?

And what was really in those pies?

Clearing his throat, the halfling asked a number of questions about his role in the kitchen, focusing on the tasks at hand for a bit. After awhile, he returned to a more self-focused discussion. "So, your mate ... how'd she land her job? And what do we have to do to earn our things back? I don't like being at the mercy of the crew ..."

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-18, 01:21 PM
Drex

The store was slightly less chaotic than the galley, if only because it did not have a wall of clucking chickens. Barrels, boxes, and chests lay scattered haphazardly around this tiny room causing you to stumble a bit as you stub your toe on one clumsily laid crate.

You also see Grok there leaning against her makeshift service counter, her cheek propped up against the palm of her hand. She's a very thin half-orc with an angry red gash across her throat spreading from ear to ear. The battle-axe strapped to her back looks like it had seen a lot of action over the years, though you can scarcely believe that she had the strength in her arms to lift the thing.

She was also busy digging her finger inside of her nose. She looks at you out of the corner of her eye, never hesitating for a moment.

"Hey, how's it goin'?" She greets you out of sheer obligation.

She only looks to be half paying attention to your proposal, and it was only at the end that she pulled her finger out, examining it for a moment before trying to flick it off her finger.

"Does it look like I need a surgeon to you, lad?" She rasps.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-18, 05:07 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

Cog opens the hatch to the bilges, and you can hear a conversation between a man and a woman down there. You recognize the woman as the one Cho-Tak woke up to this morning, the same one who was sent to work there as "punishment".

"Ye know, it gets aweful hot workin' the bilges," says the man, "hot, wet, nasty sweaty work... if'n ye want ta take some of yer clothes off, ain't no one here that would mind."

"I usually charge for that, just so you know."

"Oh don't be like that, ye beautiful wench. Consider it a favor for a dying man."

"Who's down there," Cog whispers to you. "I haven't heard anyone workin the bilges today. Find a way to get rid of her. I already lost two thirds of my treasure to ye, I ain't plannin on losin more."

North_Ranger
2012-12-18, 07:18 PM
"Easy, Cog, we know who this is", Cho-Tak replies self-assuredly as he slips into the bilges. The splash of filthy water around his ankles is enough to make the tengu grimace; like in any ship, the bilges is where all the water that a ship takes in eventually ends up - along with everything else. Including anything sweated, pissed or crapped out by the crew.

"Halloo there!" the tengu calls out, sloshing towards the sounds - and nabbing every drowned rat from the water, should he be so lucky to come across one. After all, he had a bucket to fill. "Who is in here? Is that you, priestess?" he calls out again, trying to see in the darkness.

Perception: [roll0]

Athaleon
2012-12-19, 03:21 PM
The reek of the bilge caused Kal to be overcome with nausea, and it was all he could do to keep his stomach down. How the others could stand it, he had no idea.


Sorry, but for the longest time I've been unable to come up with anything to say or do besides "...very good, what he said."

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-22, 10:33 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

Cog isn't happy, but that seems to be a default mode for him.

"Fine," he grumbles, "But if you're thinking of bringing her in on this too, just know that its coming out of your share. Not mine."

The bilges are every bit as nasty as you'd thought they'd be, the black murkish water coming up nearly to your knees. You see a man chained up by his wrists on the far wall. One Jakes Magpie you presume, or at least whats left of the man. He's covered in fresh scars, burns and bruises and looks to be emaciated and the blisters and boils on his skin seem to suggest that he was put through an oven. You also note that he's missing his middle fingers.

You also see the priestess manning the pumps, sweaty and panting hard in the hot sweltering confines of the ships bilges. She turns towards you as soon as she hears your voice.

"Oh, it's you Jinx-Eater. I never had the chance before, but I just wanted to appologize for this morning. I-I'm sure your a perfectly fine Tengu, its just that I'm not into... well... birds. No offense. You understand right?"

Jakes seems to perk up at this.

I wish that there was a way to involve you more in this Kal. The first part of this AP is very RP intensive, and interactive skills still come in handy further down the line when you get into the plunder and infamy rules. Seems like something that I should have mentioned when I started this campaign. Hind sight is a real pain sometimes.

Steve-a-Saur
2012-12-23, 12:56 AM
Bizkut

"Hmm?" Kroop looks up from his cooking pot.

"Don't let Grok scare ye none. She's a bit of a hardnose, but when she starts drinkin she loosin's up. Why don'cha come drinkin with us? If yer on yer best behavior, you'll git yer weapons whatever good they'll do ya. If yer lucky, ye'll probably stab someone in the foot and cook in the sweat box. Or maybe ye'll git unlucky, and I'll lose a cooks mate. Either way..."

Kroop looks around for a minute, muttering to himself.

"Now where is that..."

His hand reaches up to his head, nudging the cooking pot on his head.

"Huh? There it is. How'd that git there?"

He takes the pot off his head, puts it on the stove, and begins filling it with fish rowe and rum.

North_Ranger
2012-12-23, 06:01 AM
Cho-Tak lets out a squawking laughter and shakes his head. "Ain't no need to apologize for something that wasn't your fault, miss. And aye, I understand, and take no offense. I am into birds, though", he answers the priestess with a chuckle. "But strange things happen. If some sea witch turns you into a tengu... I might come a-courting. I bet you'd look lovely with an ebon beak and blue-black down, if you don't mind me saying so" he adds with a smile and a wink of his black eye. Cho-Tak was no more into humans than the priestess might be into birds, but he knew enough about human tastes to tell that the Besmaran was more than easy on the eyes. Besides, it would be useful to be on good terms with one of the Pirate Queen's own. It might spare his life or limb one day...

"Are you alright here, though? Them bilges are a pain to work by your lonesome." Cho-Tak deliberately avoids talking to Jakes just yet, hoping to keep the Besmaran lass's attention on himself... and the suggestion he has in mind.

Thattaman
2012-12-23, 11:01 AM
"I didn't mean to offend, but I think that my skills could be put to better use if I was both given my gun and allowed to become a surgeon rather than a rigger."

Starbin
2012-12-26, 10:52 AM
Bizkut glanced at the cook to see if he was kidding. He hadn't felt like a part of a group since Kaer Maga; and that had its own price. What would be the price of familiarity here on the ship? Was there strength in numbers, regardless of their composition, or would he be letting his guard down so he could get a knife in the back? Perhaps only time would tell.

For now, trust would be a valued currency, and only handed out when absolutely necessary. Nodding to the big cook, he smiled wanly. "Sure, we can drink. Looks I'll need it to kill the taste and germs, anyway.

When I came into town, I heard one of the sailors mention scurvy ... what's that?"

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-06, 02:49 PM
Drex

Grox decided to wipe it off on the side of her crate after failing to flick it from her finger. She still stares at you from the corner of her eye with a look of utter apathy on her face. 'Oh, you're still here?' it seemed to say.

"This ships already got a surgeon, so we hardly need another one. If you want to be one so very badly, I suggest you arrange the old one's death and try not to get caught.

"I haven't got your gun either. The Cap'n took an interest in it. He put it up in his cabin. If you really want your gun, you'll just have to take it up with him."

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-06, 03:20 PM
Kal and Cho-Tak

The besmaran smiles and laughs a little. Her laugh was nice enough, for a human anyway.

"If that were to happen, maybe I'll take you up on that," she says. She looks relieved, perhaps narrowly avoiding some Tengu Curse that came from decking one in the face.

"The bilges are alright," she says, exhausted and wiping the sweat from her face, "The company is the real pain though. Oh, present company excluded of course! So why exactly are you here anyway? I doubt the three of you all came down to entertain little ol' me."

"Please say ye are!" cries Jakes.

Cog folds his arms across his chest, an ever present scowl over his face. The man hardly seemed to make any other expression.

"He owes me money," he glowers.

"Oh?"

North_Ranger
2013-01-07, 03:02 PM
Cho-Tak stifled the urge to swing his bucket in Cog's face. Gods, why must all humans be so bloody stupid? Might as well have told the priestess to join the group for the treasure hunt.

"He does?" he nonetheless managed to ask, feigning surprise. "But no, that's not what me and Kal are here for. Rats, mainly... Scourge put us to collectin' these vermin, hopefully not for supper."

"Speakin' of which... do you think you could swing by the galley an' see if the halfling can be persuaded to give us some choice morsels? We can watch over the bilges while you're there and catching a breather. Just be back quick-like, so Scourge don't see ya. Whaddaya say?"

Bluff, I guess? [roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-09, 01:25 AM
Cho-Tak and Kal

"So... go into the kitchen and bring the menfolk sandwiches, is that it?" The Besmaran priestess shakes her head and laughs a little, somewhere between being amused and wanting to deck you in the face again. Eventually, she just settled for shrugging her shoulders.

"Meh, I could use the break anyhow. Mind the pump boys, it tends to stick a little."

And with that, she heads up the ladder to the deck above. You catch Jakes and Cog's eyes lingering on her as she leaves. But once she's gone, Jakes turns his attention on you.

"I know why yer here. It's the only reason anyone comes down here, an' I'll tell ye what I've told everyone else. You ain't gettin' **** outta me, so do me a favor an' piss off!"

Athaleon
2013-01-11, 11:27 AM
"No need to be so hostile," quips Kal as he moves closer to the stricken sailor. "We can help each other out. Now, I'll wager that you've got some unfinished business aboard this ship; Gods know, we'd all be better off with certain men out of the picture. To say nothing of our personal satisfaction."

Kal pauses to let the words sink in before continuing. "You're in no shape to make that happen, but you can make the risk worth our while." He draws closer and lowers his voice as he concludes, "Aren't there a few men you'd like to see suffer, as they have made you suffer? Wouldn't it feel good to have that satisfaction before the end? "


Diplomacy: [roll0]

Thattaman
2013-01-11, 03:04 PM
"Well, I'd rather not kill anyone. The captain likes my gun, maybe I'd be better speaking to him." Drex goes off in search for cap'n Harrigan.

North_Ranger
2013-01-11, 03:29 PM
"Sweet as pie, that's how I sees it", Cho-Tak continues on Kal's sales pitch. "Besides, if you tell us swift-like where to find something good... maybe there's something there that'll make the lass more willing to take her shirt off. She's no magpie, but I ain't yet met a lady who didn't like no shiny bits", the birdman adds, winking a black eye. "It's a sweet deal, ain't it? A li'l somethin' before having to take a trip to see Pharasma..."

If at any point Cog looks like he's going to open his trap and say something, Cho-Tak stomps hard on his foot in the filthy bilgewater. He needed no more help from the man, ruining the deal he and Kal were carving with Jakes Magpie.

Aid another roll to Kal's Diplomacy: [roll0]

Shoulda put some points in Charisma...

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-13, 07:32 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

The man in shackles bursts out laughing. It was a coughing, wheezing sort of laughter that seemed to hurt, but he just couldn't help himself.

"Ha, yer funnier than that last bunch, that's fer certain," he manages between wheezes, "just who do you think you are? I don't know you swabs, but that don't really matter none. You ain't got what it takes to take down Plugg and Scourge, in one day, and live to enjoy it. This treasure is my only way of stickin' it to Harrigan, so what makes ye think I'm willin' to give it away to a bunch of no name swabbies like you?"

Cog opens his mouth to speak, but a swift kick to his leg shuts him up. He spends the moment scowling at you.

North_Ranger
2013-01-14, 09:34 AM
"Every captain worth his salt began as a featherless swab", Cho-Tak offers. "You're a bird kind of a man, Magpie... ever heard tell of Horrock Bloodbeak, the tengu that made the isles cry tears o' blood and gold?" the tengu asks, sloshing closer to the half-dead man. Grabbing a handful of hair, he pulls the man's head closer to his beak. "I carry his blood in my veins, an' I intend to make the isles cry once more", he whispers into the man's ear. "Startin' with this here sorry ship. An' the things I do to Scourge will make him beg that I let him get keelhauled. What do you say, cuz? Ain't it worth the magpie's gold to make the men who killed ya meat for the crows?"

I'm guessin' this is either Intimidate or Diplomacy...? Which one will I roll?

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-16, 01:11 PM
Cho-Tak

I'd say it looks more like diplomacy for me. But Magpie seems to be a tough nut to crack, and you are acting agressively, so I'll let you roll an intimidate check for your +5 even though you aren't actually threatening him.

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-16, 01:33 PM
Bizkut

Kroop nearly drops his cooking instruments when you ask what scurvy is. He looks at you as if it were for the first time, trying to figure you out. Who ever you are or where ever you came from, it became suddenly clear even to him that you are not from the Shackles.

"It's a common disease that you get out on the seas," says a female voice. The cleric who healed you earlier is standing in the doorway.

"It happens when you don't eat your fruit and vegetables. It causes bleeding gums, loosens teeth, pain in your joints, and delays your healing. Grok's through that door right?"

Kroop mumbles something resembling an affirmative, and the cleric nods her thanks and goes to visit Grok.

"Ah, right, that reminds me," says Kroop, "see if ye kin hand me som'a those lemons over there, will ye Ahnuu?"

Perception 12
"A lubber..." mutters Kroop, "they've sent me a bloody land lubber..."

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-16, 01:57 PM
Drex

"Well, your voyage was aweful short wasn't it," remarks Grok off-handedly.

You pass by Sandara as you head up on deck, and head towards where the captains cabin ought to be when you are stopped by Scourge.

"Hey! What're ye think yer doin'! Git back ta work ye lazy... What!? Ye What!?" He shouts once you make your intentions known, "Ye wanna go be seein' de Cap'n! Are ye deaf, or jus' plain daft! Ye heard wut the Cap'n said, 'e don't wanna be seein' any o' ye swabs. So ye'd best be turnin' 'round now if ye know wuts good for ye."

North_Ranger
2013-01-16, 02:31 PM
Okay, here goes Intimidate... [roll0]

Thattaman
2013-01-16, 02:47 PM
Drex looks at Master Scourge and smirks. "Do you know who I am? You call me a swab, but my position on my ship is greater than any descendant of yours will eve have. I was the captain of the greatest ship that ever sailed in the shackles before you press-ganged me. You put me on the rigs but that just gave me ample space to signal to them. They should be here in less than two hours. Now let me past and when they I attack, I'll let you keep your manhood." Drex then pushes past.

Thattaman
2013-01-16, 02:49 PM
I'll probably need a bluff check [roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-16, 03:16 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-16, 04:09 PM
Drex

You see Scourge's face drop and begin to grow pale. Looks like he believes you, it was such a priceless moment that you'll remember for a very long time. You proudly shove your way past him, nearing the door to the captains cabin... before you feel a whip coil around ankle and drop face first onto the deck of the ship.

"If that's the case, then I definately can't let ye see the Cap'n! And I ain't gonna let ye get the chance to signal yer crew!" You hear Scourge cursing under his breath as his panic begins to rise.

"Jape! JAPE! Stick 'im in the box Jape, but try not to hurt 'im too badly! Oh this is a clusterf***... a real clusterf***... Mister Plugg! Mister Plugg! We gotta problem!"

The big half-orc from earlier that morning lumbers over to your prone form, with sickly yellow-green skin and sickly yellow eyes glaring at you from under his big bushy brows. He bends over, wrapping his big burly arms around your prone form and effortlessly lifts you up.

Grapple [roll0]

OOC
Good news. He believes you.

Starbin
2013-01-16, 06:58 PM
Nodding to the woman, he murmured, "My thanks, lady." After she left, Bizkut wandered over in the vague direction Kroop indicated, smirking to himself at what the cook kept calling him.

"Uh, I don't see any lemons ..."

Athaleon
2013-01-18, 02:32 AM
Kal tried to keep his anger and dismay from showing on his face, as his (admittedly half-cocked) offer was thrown back in his face by a man who had made a point of laughing at him, though it hurt him to do so. He was so stunned he couldn't come up with anything resembling a convincing retort. Fortunately, his avian companion seemed to have found a way to rescue the situation and Kal let him take over.


Yep. Roleplayer's block.

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-21, 02:23 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

"Eh? Bloodbeak?" asks Magpie.

"Aye! That's what he said, wasn't it?" Says Cog, wisely staying out of reach of your kicking range, "Ye oughta know how he started, don't ye? Less than a swab on board the good ship Pharasma's Shiv under the employ of captain Krieg. Now, Krieg was a mean ol' son of a bitch, 'specially when he's been drinkin' and always he would take his frustrations out on his crew. And ever since they brought Horrock aboard, he became the captains new favorite bitch. Just daring ill fortune to strike him down, but still good luck for the crew, eh?

"Then one night, Krieg got real nasty drunk, and started hunting down Horrock and beat his feathery ass in front of the whole crew. Outta his mind with booze, and with the wrath of a devil, ain't no doubt that he woulda killed Horrock that very night had not something snapped inside him right then. There's only so much a man could take, bird or not.

"With a sudden surge of strength, he tossed the mad captain off'a him and WHAM! He bit the captain's face clean off. Now that sort of trauma ain't enough to kill a man, so while Krieg was down on his knees clutching the bloody mess where his face used to be, Horrock kept peckin' away at him. Again, and again, and again 'til finally his beak pierced his brains and killed the captain outright.

"It was this bloody spectacle that won him the fear and respect of the rest of the crew and earned him the name 'Bloodbeak', and he nailed captain Krieg's face to the door of his cabin to show all aboard what awaited them should they anger their new captain.

"That's the sort of wrathful vengence of good captain Bloodbeak, the bird-man who made the islands cry tears of blood and gold. The sort of legacy that flows in his vains, and what terrible fate that waits for Plugg and Scourge. Now you look this bird in the eye, and you tell him that he aint who he says he is."

Magpie looks at you, trying to discern just what kind of Tengu you are.

"Right then," he says, nodding his head, "I believe ye. Maybe ye can actually give 'em what they deserve. Maybe not Harrigan, but F*** it, I'll take what I can get at this point.

"But still, I gots two needs that has to be met, a need of the body and a need of the spirit. You get me the things I need, and I'll give ye what I got, savvy.

"First, a blessing from that Besmaran cleric. Twas a balsy move trying to steal from the captain, but after failing to carry it out I doubt Besmara is lookin down favoribly at the moment. I'm gonna need a blessing to return to Besmara's good graces. Maybe. She's a fickle God.

"Second, I'm powerful hungry and dry. See if ye can't pop into the galley a moment and see if ye can't get me something. Kroop should have the good stuff. Only thing I had in all this time were a couple of fingers."

"That's what ye git for flipping off the captain like that," says Cog.

"Almost worth it. Almost."

North_Ranger
2013-01-23, 10:08 AM
Cho-Tak was actually surprised, pleasantly so, when he heard the man Cog reciting one of the stories he had grown up listening when he was but a wee squab back in Genzei. His father did not like him listening to "such nonsense", but the Genzei rookery was a busy place, and the young Cho-Tak had always found an excuse to get out of the house and into the cluttered old nest where his grandfather lived. The old bird had not been ashamed of his piratical ancestor, unlike his son the civil servant.

The birdman listened when Magpie laid out his terms. Rubbing his feathered chin, Cho-Tak nodded. "Aye, I think we can manage that. Ya know the lady you was talking to? The one who ya wished to see bare-chested? She's one of the Pirate Queen's own. I'll talk to her, but you need to work with me here. Until she gives you her blessing, you keep your sea serpent below the surface, savvy?"

"As for the vittles... aye, I reckon that can be done too. Cog... Think ye can hold the fort down here if me or Kal makes a dash to the galley?"

Athaleon
2013-01-23, 02:35 PM
Kal goes off in search of the Besmaran disciple, hopefully she hasn't wandered too far off. Which way was it to the kitchen again?

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-24, 08:32 PM
Bizkut

"Whaddaya mean ye can't find em," says Kroop, putting down yet another empty bottle of rum. He wobbles more or less towards your general direction.

"Dey ain't that hard ta find, dere right... eh... right..." He looks around, seeing that there are in fact no lemons anywhere near where you're standing. He makes a small sound, as though suddenly remembering something, and waddles his way to the other end of the room and picks up a basket of eggs.

"Aha! See? Lemons." He makes his way back to his boiling cooking pot, mumbling something about his fool of a mate and how much better he can navigate the galley while drunk. He plucks an egg from his basket and squeezes it into the pot.

"Huh, lemons musta gone bad. Don't remember it being so runny... Ah well, lemons are lemons," he mutters, before squeezing another egg.

Steve-a-Saur
2013-01-24, 08:42 PM
Cho-Tak and Kal

You both enter the galley where you see a fat, drunken man squeezing eggs into bubbling pots of... something you try very hard not to think about. Egg yolk and bits of broken shell were still dribbling off the man's grubby fingers.

"Damn it, why's everyone commin' ta bother me fer?"

North_Ranger
2013-01-25, 06:21 AM
"Easy there, boss-man", Cho-Tak quorked, hoping to calm the butterball of a man down. "We ain't looking for trouble with ya. We were just lookin' for a lady-like figure. She's needed down in the bilges. Mayhaps you's seen her, boss-man? Tall, darkhaired, a figure that'd make Shelyn go green with envy and Calistria drool?"

As the tengu spoke, he tried to peer around in the galley, hoping to catch a glimpse of Bizkut. "She said she was coming up here to take a look at the halfling that took a tumble in the rigging. Said she was worried something wasn't set right the first time."

Dammit Biz, be there and be smart enough to show yer face, Cho-Tak muttered inside his brainpan.

Starbin
2013-01-25, 10:01 AM
Seeing Cho-Tak arrive gave Bizkut a measure of relief ... as friendly a face as one could hope for in a place like this. Stepping out from the other side of the room, the halfing cleared his throat. "Heyo. Kroop had me looking for lemons ... which he's apparently found." Bizkut rolled his eyes meaningfully as the cook continued to add eggs to the pot.

He nodded his head in the direction the girl went. "Woman was here, but she headed that way. What's up topside?"

North_Ranger
2013-01-25, 10:14 AM
"Hell if I know, me and Kal here have been bobbin' for rats in the bilges", Cho-Tak quorked a laugh and nodded at his soiled breeches. The four-foot-and-change birdman had a horizontal line going where the foul bilge had reached up to. "Thought we'd come up here and offer some of the tastier ones for stew. Come, have a look. We have some real nice fat ones here", he laughed while motioning Bizkut to come closer. He needed to whisper his news to the halfling, without Kroop hearing.

"Kal, leave your bucket here and go see if you can find the Besmaran. Me and Bizkut can pick out the tastiest morsels while you hunt her down."

Trying to give you a chance to shine, Athaleon. Go get her, tiger :smallwink:

Starbin
2013-01-25, 01:22 PM
Moving to the side, Bizkut followed the tengu. "Just don't eat the pies," he warned before letting the other fill him in on events to date. He tried to relay the information he had found, as well, although his knowledge of ship politics were probably nothing too surprising.

North_Ranger
2013-01-25, 01:44 PM
Cho-Tak listened to the news intensely, particularly the mention of Grok holding their weapons and other possessions.

"That's certainly something to think about", the birdman said. "Here, come have a look... I think some of these might be of interest to ya", he said and moved a little further away, lifting the bucket half-full of dead, soggy rats.

Once the halfling was close enough, Cho-Tak pretended to show him one of the fatter rats as he whispered. "Listen... I ran into a chance for a sweet deal here, some loot no one's gonna miss. I'll cut ya in on the deal if you can help me a bit."

"The guy who knows where the loot is, he's gonna die tonight. But he says he'll tell us where the loot is if we can get him some stuff. Kal's handlin' one half of the deal, but I'm needin' your help for the other half. You in, Bizkut?"

Starbin
2013-01-25, 03:38 PM
Bizkut checked the rats, wondering if this was the usual meat that the crew ate, nodding absently while Cho-Tak filled him in. "So that guy in the chains I saw, Magpie I think? Hmmm ... I'm all about extra coin in my pocket. Count me in. Is Drex in, too, or just coincidence he came down, too?

And whaddya need from me?"

Bizkut would also use the opportunity to let Cho-Tak know what he'd heard about the ship. "Just so you know, sounds like the ship might be lookin' for a change at the top, if ya take my meaning. But keep it hush, cuz the walls have ears."

North_Ranger
2013-01-25, 03:43 PM
"These things always do", Cho-Tak whispered as he squeezed the rat's limp body, bilgewater and perhaps some of the late rodent's intestinal content dripping into the bucket. "It's me, Kal and a man named Cog. Drex I ain't seen since they slapped me with this bucket.

We'll talk more about the change in management later. Now I need some food and drink to take back to Magpie. Something good, lest he decide to screw us over because there was weevils in his biscuits. Think you can manage that, conspicuous-like?"

Starbin
2013-01-25, 11:49 PM
Bizkut nodded. "I'll see what I can do." Moving to the food stores, Bizkut looked for some grub while Kroop added 'lemons' to his stew. Staring at it for a moment, the halfling finally sighed in exasperation.

"Kroop! You're drunk again! Those aren't lemons!"

Perception to find food?: [roll0]

EDIT: SERIOUSLY!? I hate this f(*&king die roller ... there, I've said it!

North_Ranger
2013-01-26, 05:00 AM
Try again, Starbin... You accidentally rolled a 1d02 ;)

Starbin
2013-01-26, 12:29 PM
(slaps forehead) :smallredface:
"Sorry die roller ... I didn't mean it, baby! You know I love you!"' [roll0]

Edit: sigh ...

North_Ranger
2013-01-26, 02:06 PM
Yeah... The dice roller is a fickle bastard. I feel your pain.

Athaleon
2013-01-26, 02:11 PM
The forum dice roller hates us, and wants our characters to be hilariously inept. This is probably why people are tempted to min/max, so they can succeed on things no matter what the RNG has to say about it.


Of course, the woman didn't actually come here. Kal lingers while Cho-Tak talks to the other new "hire", then departs to look for the cleric.