PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Forthright One



Rizban
2012-10-29, 01:07 AM
This thread is for HerbieRAI and GM(s) only. Please do not read it otherwise.

"Thank you! You get right to the point and speak your mind. You're the first in ages to do that.

Unfortunately, this is just the storefront for Sunderham's. Our main office is in the Docks, next to Pier 2."

He goes back to reading his book.

HerbieRAI
2012-10-29, 06:50 AM
I can assume this item has been gone for a while already. Every second spent disscussing the weather is a second it could be getting farther away. Time makes everything harder to track.

I hear rumors that the docks is not a nice place to be at night. I'm new in the city, do you think there is time to get there before dark?

Denhear begins to look around the store, seeing what kind of wears they have for sale.

While I'm thinking about it, do you know of any other people or groups searching already?

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:01 PM
He shrugs.

"Yes, very dangerous. I don't know if there's time, probably. What time is it anyway?"

The shop is stocked primarily with spices and fragrant woods, oils and extracts, and a number of curiously carved statuettes.

"Yeah, there's been a few people I've sent that way, but I just mind the store. I couldn't tell you anything about them."

HerbieRAI
2012-10-29, 02:40 PM
Thank you for the help.

Denhear always enjoyed a good race, and competing with others to find this item would be a good one, since they already had a good start. Hopefully this wasn't for nothing. At that Denhear left the shop and started quickly making his way toward the docks, trying to beat the sun.

Along the way, he begins to think about Thatchit. While his help would be welcome, there's a strong feeling that the pup would get itself killed in the docks, either fighting or being unable to escape. At that thought, Denhear tries to find a guard along the way.

Excuse me sir, if there is a stray dog found in the street, is there a group that rounds it up? Thatchit here is well trained, but I'd like to know where I should look should he disappear


So you don't have to pull my sheet up again, Thatchit is Denhears animal companion, a dog he uses to track people. Although he usually tries to keep it out of fights.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 03:18 PM
The guard just shrugs.

"Nah, there's no group that collects them. Wild mutts is just killed if they's a problem. If not, they usally just is left alone."

HerbieRAI
2012-10-29, 08:22 PM
Denhear takes Thatchit to a small area to the side of the street, and giving him a small bit of food, tells him to stay. He then spends a few moments trying to gain his focus before heading out toward dock 2.


Handle animal for Thatchit to stay (DC 10) [roll0]

Concentration check to gain focus (DC 20) [roll1]

if the concentration check fails, I'll take 20 to gain the focus.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 09:09 PM
You make your rolls...

HerbieRAI
2012-10-30, 10:08 AM
small error with the Handle Animal, it was only a +11 modifier, not +13. Still pass though.


After gaining his focus, Denhear continues his journey to Pier 2 in the Docks, looking for Sunderham's main office.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 12:33 PM
You pass through the gate and make it to the first intersection before you're stopped by four massive looking hobgoblins who look ready for a fight.

"What you do here?"

HerbieRAI
2012-10-30, 02:12 PM
Denhear takes a quick glance for the nearest building and how many stories it is.

I'm heading over to Pier 2. You guys seem like your looking for something.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 03:20 PM
They draw weapons and grin.

"You no go. Pay toll first."

HerbieRAI
2012-10-30, 07:01 PM
smiling, Denhear responds Then I no go

He turns towards the western buildings and runs up the side of the building to get around the group of hobgoblins.


Using Up the Walls I'll climb the building. If its over 30 feet tall I'll have to use one of my daily bursts, to get my movement speed up to 50 ft.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 07:39 PM
You manage to escape up the 25ft high side of the building. The hobgoblins look rather angry but do not give pursuit.

You are standing on top of the Aldhaven Port Authority.

HerbieRAI
2012-10-30, 08:30 PM
Denhear smiles to himself. Those four will die soon, they just didn't know it yet. Denhear takes a few moments and tries to remember distinguishing marks on the 4, so he may be able to hunt them down later. After a few seconds of noting his future prey, he moves to the other side of the building and jumps down using his ring of feather fall to absorb the impact. Once down, he continues toward pier 2 and Sunderham's main store.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 02:52 AM
Jumping down, you land in some grass. The buildings here are much more scattered than in town.

The main street is off to your right a little bit and goes straight ahead off into the distance. You can see a few cross streets intersecting it.

There is a side street to the left that seems to head down towards the water, but it winds a bit, preventing you from seeing too far.

HerbieRAI
2012-10-31, 09:41 AM
Denhear choses to head down the side street, figuring there will be more hobgoblin thugs on the main streets. As he walks down he keeps close to the side ready to scale a building if need be.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 10:10 PM
As you pass through the shadows of the buildings, you feel a chill down your back. Passing an alley, you feel the cold bite of a knife in your back.

[roll0]
[roll1]

HerbieRAI
2012-11-01, 11:27 AM
Denhear cringes as pain shoots down his back. He quickly turns around, draws his weapons and returns the attack against his unknown assailant.


I'm assuming initiative is needed.
Init [roll0]

Denhear draws his weapons and attacks
attack(1d20+8): [roll1]
damage(1d6+3): [roll2]

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:48 AM
You win initiative, draw your weapon, and swing at empty air. It seems as if your assailant is gone... Looking around quickly, you see no one in the street.

HerbieRAI
2012-11-03, 08:38 AM
Denhear will spend a few seconds looking around, scanning for the attacker, then scale the wall hoping what ever it was can't climb after him.


Spot check [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-03, 01:54 PM
You do not see anyone or anything out of the ordinary.

The building is 14 ft tall.

HerbieRAI
2012-11-03, 06:18 PM
After a few more moments looking for his attacker, Denhear continues heading toward pier 2. This time, he stays on the rooftops where he is safe.


I figure I'll join bindin garoth and Zerter at the pier 2 store. Would you mind helping us get together by either telling me to head back or bring them forward to the pier.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 06:37 PM
If they head there, then they'll meet you there. If not, I'm not going to make them go. Talk to them about where to meet up.You encounter no more problems on the roof.

HerbieRAI
2012-11-05, 10:49 AM
Denhear will jump down from the roof towards pier 2. He will stop a dock worker who doesn't seem to be a hobgoblin.

I was told Sunderham's was here on Pier 2, can you point me the way?

Rizban
2012-11-08, 12:05 AM
There are no people around. There is a sign near the first dock. It reads

PIER
1 / 2

HerbieRAI
2012-11-09, 12:03 PM
Denhear will walk toward peir 2.

Rizban
2012-11-09, 04:30 PM
Pier 2 appears to be a long dock designed for unloading cargo ships. There are no buildings on it.

A quick glance around reveals a building marked "Sunderham's".

HerbieRAI
2012-11-09, 05:30 PM
Denhear will head inside the store.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 06:55 AM
Sunderham's Imports is a small wooden building built over the water on piers, standing about six feet above the water. The interior looks like little more than a warehouse with several rows of shelves stocked with various goods. It appears that the most common items are foreign spices and fine silks. A tall blond woman with curly hair and a slender build looks up from the paperwork on her desk.

"Hi there!"

HerbieRAI
2012-11-13, 02:53 PM
Hello. You seem to have yourself a nice little store here. Would you be Cassatta?

Rizban
2012-11-13, 10:45 PM
She frowns.

"What do you want with her?"

HerbieRAI
2012-11-15, 10:49 AM
She sent out a call for help looking for something. Being new to the city, it seemed like a good way to meet some people and learn the layout of the place. Do you have something against her?

Rizban
2012-11-15, 06:14 PM
"Oh, that, right. Well, she's in the back office."

She points to a door.

"Feel free to knock."

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:21 PM
Team up thread (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14240661#post14240661)

HerbieRAI
2013-01-10, 01:57 PM
After Zerter leaves to follow a mysterious lead that he refused to talk about, Denhear asks around the area to find where Feldspar's shop is located.


Gather information to find where Feldspar's shop is in the North Market
[roll0]

Rizban
2013-01-16, 09:03 PM
You find the address after [roll0] hours of asking around.

HerbieRAI
2013-01-22, 10:54 AM
Denhear will make his way to the gnomes shop, and tell Thatchit to wait outside when he gets there.

Rizban
2013-01-23, 06:15 AM
As you approach, you find two members of the City Watch outside the front door blocking anyone from entering.

HerbieRAI
2013-01-23, 09:06 AM
Denhear approaches the guards, putting on a shocked look, and in a worried voice He asks
Whats going on? Did something happen to Feldspar?

Rizban
2013-01-23, 09:06 AM
"You know him then? We're going to need you to come with us and answer some questions."

HerbieRAI
2013-01-23, 10:01 AM
I'll help however I can, but I was not that close to him. I was looking to buy something that he supposedly had. Its alright if my dog comes along as well, right?

Rizban
2013-01-23, 10:05 AM
They call one of the other guards inside who then leads you to a local guard station, which is little more than a stone box with a chair and a table inside.

"Have a seat."

HerbieRAI
2013-01-23, 11:34 AM
Denhear takes the seat, and waits for the guard to ask a question.

Rizban
2013-01-25, 04:48 AM
"Tell me about your relationship to Mr. Feldspar."

HerbieRAI
2013-01-28, 11:36 AM
"I've been looking to buy a horn that used to be a family heirloom. I sold it a few years back to make some quick cash, now I'm looking to get it back. We've been writing a bit and he said he had the horn, so I was coming buy to pick it up."

Rizban
2013-01-29, 02:16 PM
That's definitely going to require a Bluff check.

HerbieRAI
2013-01-29, 04:18 PM
Bluff check
[roll0]

Rizban
2013-01-30, 06:01 AM
"I see... And when was the last time you saw Mr. Feldspar? The last time you had contact with him?

What can you tell me about Mr. Feldspar's other relationships?

Where were you last night?"

HerbieRAI
2013-01-30, 03:59 PM
I last got a letter from him about a week ago. He said he would look to see if he had the horn, and I needed some time to get my finances together. I'm afraid I don't know any other contacts, but I believe he said he got the horn from someone named "Gregor". I was at the Sad Flint last night with a friend of mine named Zerter.


if a bluff is needed. Also the town guard is my favored enemy, so I should get another +2 on the bluff check than I put in last time.
[roll0]

Rizban
2013-02-07, 01:02 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been dealing with a lot of personal stuff this past week.He raises an eyebrow at your explanation but says nothing until you are finished.

"I suppose that points us in the right direction at least. You are free to leave."

He steps back and makes room for you to exit the building.

HerbieRAI
2013-02-11, 09:03 AM
As Denhear rises, he asks.
Can you tell me any information on what happened to him? Is there anything I can do to help?

Rizban
2013-02-19, 03:41 PM
"Sorry, but that's official Watch business."

HerbieRAI
2013-02-25, 03:09 PM
Denhear, a bit frazzeled with the loss of his lead, begins casing the store to find out how many guards are there and any other entrances to the shop


Hide check
[roll0]
Spot Check
[roll1]
the spot check would be 2 higher for spotting the watchmen

Rizban
2013-02-25, 06:55 PM
From outside, you can see only the guards you have seen already. You also find a back door, but you assume there are additional guards and/or detectives inside studying scene of the crime.

HerbieRAI
2013-02-26, 07:43 AM
Denhear waits until nightfall and continue to watch to place, looking for the guards to change shifts or men to leave the building.

Rizban
2013-02-26, 09:32 PM
About two hours later, two very official looking officials leave the building, escorted by a couple of Watchmen. They leave the two guards out front in place.

HerbieRAI
2013-02-27, 08:13 AM
From his hiding place he will first gain his psionic focus (take 20. I can't remember if I did that already), then he will remove his chain shirt to take away the arcane casting failure and cast disguise self to make him look like a blonde elf.

Once he puts his armor back on, Denhear will make his way to the back door and look around for any guards. If none are in sight he will listen to the door for anyone inside.


Spot Check

Listen Check
[roll1]
Disguise Self
[roll]1d20 +15

edit: I'll redo the disguise roll in my next post

Rizban
2013-02-27, 06:54 PM
You take a full minute to don your armor again after removing it.

You see no one near the back door, but, after listening for a moment, you do hear someone from somewhere inside clear his throat.
Technically, the DM rolls your disguise check in secret. You have no idea how good your disguise is until you put it to the test.

HerbieRAI
2013-02-28, 09:41 AM
Denhear will spend another round listening to the door before picking the lock.


Listen
[roll0]
Open Lock
[roll1]

Rizban
2013-02-28, 08:28 PM
You do not hear anything else coming from inside.

The lock yields easily to your skill.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-01, 10:34 AM
Denhear will quietly open the door and peer inside


Move Silently if needed
[roll0]
and yet another spot check to look inside
[roll1]

Rizban
2013-03-01, 04:13 PM
You get the door almost open enough to slip inside before it makes a short but loud creak. You freeze, but no one immediately appears in response.

You see no one in the adjoining room, which appears to be a small kitchen.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-01, 05:26 PM
Denhear sneaks through the room looking for any doors (secret or normal) and any items of value.


Search Check
[roll0]
Move Silently
[roll1]

Rizban
2013-03-01, 06:14 PM
You find no secret doors.
The only items of value are the leftover pots and pans, but they're barely even worth their weight.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-01, 06:46 PM
Is there a door leading to another room? or is this just a one room place?

Rizban
2013-03-01, 06:58 PM
There is one closed door leading into the next room.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-05, 08:36 AM
Denhear will repeat the process before and listen to the door and try to open it quietly.


Listen
[roll0]
Move Silently
[roll1]
Spot check once door is open
[roll2]

Rizban
2013-03-06, 08:09 PM
You do not hear anything inside the building. The door into the next room opens silently on well oiled hinges. From where you stand, you can only see part of the room, but it does not appear that there is anyone inside.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-07, 08:25 AM
Denhear will continue his slow quiet crawl through the building, looking for anything useful/expensive and any other exits.


Lot of checks this time
Search:
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]
MoveSilently
[roll2]
Hide
[roll3]

Also, can I get a description of whats in this room and any other doors besides the one I came in?

Rizban
2013-03-08, 04:31 AM
Just as you are about to step through the doorway into the room, a small leather bag lands on the floor directly in front of you, spewing its powdery content into a wide area. The shimmering dust makes it incredibly difficult for you to hide.

You hear a sword being drawn from its scabbard to your right, just around the edge of the door where you can not see in the room.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-08, 08:47 AM
Denhear thinks for a few moments. Going around that door could be suicide. This bag seems like a gnome trick, but I don't know gnomes that well. In any case, I can't just barge through that door and get hit with whatever he wants to throw at me.

After a few moments of thinking to himself, he whispers
"Feldspear, is that you? I'm not part of the guard and I'm not hear to hurt you, I only wish to talk."

If the other person comes through the door without speaking I'll draw my swords.

Rizban
2013-03-13, 05:58 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been dealing with family members in the hospital.A City Watchman steps around the corner, crossbow aimed directly at you with one hand, drawn sword in the other.

"Drop your weapons and put your hands on your head. You're under arrest."

HerbieRAI
2013-03-14, 12:23 PM
Denhear doesn't want to get killed here, so he makes a break for the back door, using his Burst for extra speed. Once outside he moves across the street and up the nearest building.


I'll move 50ft toward the rear exit and if I can make it I'll use up the walls to go up the nearest building.

Rizban
2013-03-14, 12:37 PM
He manages to get off a shot at you as you flee, the bolt slamming into your shoulder [roll0].

50ft of movement gets you through the kitchen and out into the back alley, but the cluttered nature of the house eats up most of that movement, and you don't have enough to reach the rooftops with Up The Walls.

Rizban
2013-03-14, 12:38 PM
He manages to get off a shot at you as you flee, the bolt slamming into your shoulder [roll0].

50ft of movement gets you through the kitchen and out into the back alley, but the cluttered nature of the house eats up most of that movement, and you don't have enough to reach the rooftops with Up The Walls. Ignore the double post. Bah! Forum errors... mutter mutter

HerbieRAI
2013-03-14, 01:35 PM
Denhear will sidestep out of the doorway, then go up the wall of the shop itself.


I'll go up the building next turn if nessicary.

Rizban
2013-03-14, 01:37 PM
Was the 50ft a single move or double move?

HerbieRAI
2013-03-14, 02:49 PM
With Burst its a single, but I can't remember if I can use my second move to get up the wall. If so I'll go up the building already.

Rizban
2013-03-14, 03:57 PM
You are able to reach the edge of the roof but can't quite make it up to the top. Roll a Climb check to grab onto the edge of the roof.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-14, 04:10 PM
[roll0]

I have a ring of featherfall if I don't make the check.

Rizban
2013-03-14, 04:20 PM
Your fingertips manage to catch the ledge, and you pull yourself up without much difficulty. Just as you pull out of sight, you hear the guard rush out of the building, cursing under his breath.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-14, 04:47 PM
Denhear looks at himself to see if the glitter is still covering his body. If he feels free of that burden, then he will cast Ghost Sound to make it sound like someone is running away from the guard around the building.


Do I still have the glitter on me from earlier, or has that effect worn off? If so, and if the building is less than 25 ft tall, I'll attempt to cast Ghost Sound to make the sound of a fleeing person away from the building
% failure
[roll0]
lower than 20 is a fail.

Rizban
2013-03-14, 05:29 PM
The dust shows no signs of fading after a mere six seconds, your skin and clothing continuing to brightly luminesce. The edge of building's roof where you sit is 30 ft tall. You had just enough movement left from your first move action combined with your second that you were able to almost reach the roof.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-18, 08:02 AM
Denhear will wait for the guard to go back inside, then inspect the building to see if he can get access from the second floor (30ft could be a two story building).

Rizban
2013-03-18, 08:34 AM
The building has two obvious floors plus room for an attic. The ground floor, being a shop, has ceilings built to 15 feet rather than the more common 10 to 12 feet of most buildings. There are several windows on the second floor. The ones on the side of the house may or may not be large enough for you to squeeze through, but you can't accurately judge their size without attempting it. A large window on the back of the house could provide easy access, but it is outside of your reach from the roof. It does, however, have a narrow window sill on which sit two small potted plants.

HerbieRAI
2013-03-18, 08:46 AM
Denhear will attempt to move the potted plants to the ground by walking up the wall, grabbing the pot, then falling. After the pots are moved Denhear will try to open the window.


Open Lock if needed
[roll0]

Move Silently
[roll1]

Rizban
2013-03-18, 11:24 AM
Wait... so, you're dropping to the ground, running up, grabbing a plant, dropping to the ground, then running, grabbing, and falling a third time?

HerbieRAI
2013-03-18, 12:02 PM
After the guard goes back inside yes, or perhaps just twice if I can grab both plants. I have a ring of featherfall so I shouldn't take any falling damage.