PDA

View Full Version : Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 09:58 AM
Brandescar prison.

Last stop of the hopeless. The condemned. The scum beneath fair Talingarde's boots.

Society has judged you. The high, mighty, and righteous have judged you to have no redeeming qualities. Mitra's grace has been withdrawn from you, and all too soon you will be sent on to your death... Fast or slow, it won't be pretty.

No one has EVER escaped from Brandescar. You were brought here blindfolded. You've only seen a portion of it.

The "Welcome" room, where you were stripped of everything the guards had left you, and VERY thoroughly searched. They gave you rags, simple, stinking, recycled rags to wear.

The Torture room, where you were showed the implements that would be used on you if you gave the guards too much trouble. They can and WOULD make the rest of your short life very, very painful. While in this room, they branded you. Used hot irons to scar a runic "F" into your arm. "F" for Forsaken... You are beyond Mitra's grace. There is no saving you now, and you are to feel horrible guilt for your coming damnation. So say the GOOD people of Talingarde.

Pathetic mewling sheeple...

And finally, the cell you dwell in now. Large, 20 by 20. It's a communal cell. You are restrained to the wall with short chains, allowing you perhaps a few feet of mobility. There's a communal bucket for waste, and a distinct lack of privacy. They feed you twice a day. Kicking up a fuss or trying to attack the guard when they enter earns a beatdown, as the guard calls for help and four others pile in. Then everyone goes without food or water for a day.

It's hard to tell day or night in here, but your cellmates seem to be mostly awake, now.

And there are sounds of booted feet approaching your cell. Several booted feet, not hurrying like there's trouble, and too many for the usual feeding or bucket change. Now what's going on here?

Sjurd
2012-10-31, 10:23 AM
You a see hard, predatory half-orc with several days' worth of stubble and black hair cropped short to his skull. His eyes are the color of steel, with small flecks of silver near the iris. His skin is taut and tight against his skin, with years of conflict evident in his craggy features. He is dressed in a simple spun tunic, like most of the other prisoners. He is tall and broad, with a thick frame and straight posture.

He has kept quiet during his stay thus far at Branderscar. He seems accustomed to the routine and protocol of incarceration. "Yes, sir. No, sir." and all that. But in unguarded moments, you can see his eyes wandering about the cell and watching the patterns and habits of the guards. He has even tried flexing his arms against the bars when he thought no one was looking to test their construction.

When the footsteps come down the hallway, Silas has been doing push-ups and wall-sits in the corner of the cell. He stops his calisthenics and watches carefully. "Something different is happening. Different is likely not good."

ooc1: DM Lost Demiurge - How much do the guards and prison administrators know about our special abilities? For example, would they know that I can rage? It doesn't exactly have visual cues unless I use it.

ooc2: I added my character sheet link to my signature for easy reference.

Finkmilkana
2012-10-31, 10:29 AM
On one side of the cell sits a somewhat tall and muscular man. While not handsome or even interesting looking in any way you guess he could be quite imposing in another place, at another time. But not now.
While still arguing with the guards when they first brought him in, he only shortly eyed his fellow convicts before falling into a sulking silence and quickly loosing any posture he had left.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-31, 10:33 AM
Jodiah lounges complacently with a dreamy expression across her face, she is almost tranquil but if anyone truly knew what was going on they would be nothing but horrified. Currently, Jodiah was listening to the screaming souls of the children she had murdered My children now! she thought wickedly. In truth, the inmates and guards had been at a loss with what to do with her, her behaviour towards her cellmates and the guards was that of a mother: worrisome, somewhat caring and slightly patronizing. For the most part she scared the living bejesus out of her cellmates for she couldn't be intimidated by them she would simply sit there with her odd smile and chide them for being naughty. If anyone actually attempted to hurt her they would pay for it, not in the physical sense but in the psychological sense. It was true that they took her pouch from her but she had innate talents that she used rather effectively in conjunction with her silvered tongue. She hoped that she could slowly affect a few of the guards... just long enough so she could steal their key ring.

At the sound of the approaching boots, Jodiah snapped out of her dazed state and stood up curiously, it certainly wasn't feeding time and there was little going on at the moment. Maybe it's an execution squad? she frowned at the thought I have to survive for the sake of my children and for the mighty Yog-Sothoth! Moving as far as the chains would allow her she looks out into the ill lit hallway.

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 10:45 AM
SJURD
OOC: The restraints make it difficult to do calisthenics, but you can definitely get some exercise in.

The guards know the special abilities you've shown them. And they know if you're magical or not... You were arrested with whatever you normally would have had on you.

It's hard to say whether or not they know you can rage. You had a pretty big name for yourself out on the street.

These chains are pretty thick, regardless. MIGHT be breakable, given time and work...

Angstrom
2012-10-31, 10:57 AM
Bridget has retreated as far back in the cell as her chains will allow. Removing herself from the others, she sits with her arms wrapped around her knees, contemplating the coming execution. Though her eyes are closed, the scabbing red wound on her arm serves as a constant reminder of her location. Branderscar, most secure prison in all of Talingarde. Never have things been this hopeless.

The sounds of tramping boots barely illicit a response from her. If it was finally time, she would welcome it.

Frivolous
2012-10-31, 11:29 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin is a young and pretty half-elf with straight and silky black hair in a pageboy cut and brilliant and moist blue eyes. Her eyes are red, and they glisten as if she has been weeping, although none of the other prisoners have actually seen her shed tears yet.

She tries to keep herself clean in this filthy cell, but it is not working very well. The best she can do is maintain a crouch; that way only the soles of her feet get dirty. But even a trained gymnast and cheerleader such as her can maintain the position for only so long, and the strain is beginning to wear on her.

Sirin eyes the males locked up in this cell with her warily, especially the big brutish half-orc, who looks strong enough to maybe break his chains.

She eyes the other females even more warily. She gets a pinched, annoyed expression on her smooth white face whenever she looks at the human woman's red hair and perfect form. Not so much the gnome woman, though.

Query and rolls for the DM
Would Sirin be able to recognize anyone here? She has 1 rank in the skill Knowledge (Local).

If you wish for me to roll, here is 1 roll. Please just let me know if you want me to roll more than once.

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 11:57 AM
SIRIN
It's hard to say. Everyone in here is wearing rags so it's harder to recognize them, and not many people have been talking, yet. (AKA, a 12 won't quite do it.

As you wait, Sergeant Blackerly comes into view of your cell, along with a four-guard escort. He looks distracted.

"Right. You lot. Don't get excited. YOU! Sirin Starshine, on your feet and face to the wall. Hands behind yer back."

He waits outside while the guards enter the cell. His usual smirk is there, but his eyes are distant. This is the guy who insisted on being the one to personally brand you, while his goons held you down. He laughed as the brand sizzled your flesh, and watched your face to see if you'd cry. He's passed by occasionally to spit in your food before it goes into your cell, and mock you in a hundred little ways. Blackerly is a bully, and he LOVES his job.

And he's acting very oddly. Isn't even coming in to put the boot in himself.

SENSE MOTIVE DC 25
The sergeant is being affected by something that is clouding his thoughts. Poison or magic would be the most likely candidates.

The four guards enter the cell. Two of them occupy the center, truncheons out, and glare at the rest of you. Two of them grab Sirin's restraints, unlock them from the wall, and seize hold of her manacled hands as they march her out.

"Oh stop fighting." Says Blackerly, not even looking to see if you're fighting or not. "Your lucky day. Your half-sister wants to see you. Now MOVE!"

And Sirin is marched down the corridor, as the guards back out of the cell and lock it up again. Blackerly follows after.

SIRIN (Though for entertainment purposes, this is open for players to watch.)
You are escorted down a flight of stairs to a plain office. Waiting inside is a tall, stunning woman with pale, pale skin and hair so platinum blonde it could be mistaken for fine jewelery. Her face is slightly hidden behind a veil, and her clothes look to be as expensive and tasteful as the finest of courtiers. "Ah, sister! It is SO GOOD to see you again!" She unfolds herself from the chair and gives you a fierce hug.

"Please, do leave us noble sergeant." She smiles at Blackerly. "We've got ever so much catching up to do. No harm will come of this." Blackerly nods back, distracted. "Sure, no harm will come of this." Beckoning to the other guards, he leaves the office. You hear the key click in the lock as he goes.

Once he's gone, the woman's smile goes from friendly to sneering, as she walks around the desk and takes a seat in it. "Well, SISTER, I am of course no relation to you. This was set up as a pretense. You see, there is a quite powerful man who would like to meet you, you and your cellmates. Unfortunately, the accomodations are a bit... Hm... Meager for his liking." She picks up a small portrait of some guard official's wife and children, sniffs at it disdainfully, and scars it with one sharp nail before replacing it on the desk.

"So you'll have to come to him. In a sense, this is a test. But here... Here is the cheatsheet."

She removes her veil, and offers it to you.

"My name is Tiadora." She continues to sneer. "I DO so hope we shall be the best of friends."

Finkmilkana
2012-10-31, 12:05 PM
[roll0]

Marthras shortly looks up as Blackerly enters the cells to take the women but quickly looses interest.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-31, 12:12 PM
Making use of her talents and the odd mood the sergeant was in, Jodiah silently speaks to herself and wiggles her fingers ever so slightly.

Using my gnome SLA to cast mage hand in hopes that when they all turn around and leave the cell Jodiah can use mage hand to steal the sergeants key ring so she can free herself... Let me know if this is possible LD

Frivolous
2012-10-31, 12:26 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin obeys Sergeant Blackerly's orders hastily. She grimaces from muscle ache and strain as she gets to her feet and puts her back to the wall.

She blinks in surprise and confusion. "Half-sister? Which one?"

She sounds amazed that any of her relatives would visit her.

As she is forced from the cell, she looks to see if any of the guards handling her, or anyone in arm's reach, has a set of keys on him.

RollsSense Motive: [roll0]

Sense Motive is hopeless, of course. Sirin's bonus is only +2.

Take 10 on Perception to see if anyone has anything she might be able to use Sleight of Hand to snatch for her own use.

Sirin's bonus for Perception is +11. :smallsmile:

She yelps in dismay as the platinum blonde woman hugs her, "Oh, no, sister, I'm so dirty! Your nice clothes!"

But once the guards and Blackerley leave the room, Sirin tilts her head to listen for the sound of anyone listening or observing even as she pays attention to the woman before her.

Another roll
Take 10 again on Perception. Sirin will try not to be sneaked up on by any jailors.

Sirin impassively takes note of how Tiadora scratches the guard's family portrait, but a very faint smile touches her pale lips. She raises her left eyebrow at Tiadora's use of the word 'cheatsheet'.

Saying nothing, she nods and gives Tiadora a larger, but still quite demure and ladylike smile, then takes the veil, handling it gingerly with but the tips of her fingers. She examines it to determine if there are any lock picks in it, and she also puts it on to see if anything happens.

Another roll
Take 10 again on Perception to look for anything odd or out of place with the veil.

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 12:34 PM
Jodiah manages to use her abilities without the guards noticing anything off. However, the keyring seems to be tied to his belt.

Still, no worries. He hasn't noticed the tugging at his belt. Jodiah starts working at the knot as best as she can... Hard to see it from her angle... And then the sergeant moves away with the rest of the guards, escorting Sirin down the hall and out of sight.

Well, that didn't work.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-31, 12:46 PM
Jodiah sighs deeply "Oh deary me, it didn't work, well better look on the bright side, I didn't get caught!" She turns and looks at the scowling half orc "Now listen child, turn that frown upside down, didn't your mother ever tell you that if you make a face like that it may just stay that way?"

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 12:56 PM
SIRIN
As you walk, you notice that the sergeant's key ring is loose on his belt. Someone's half-untied the strings holding it on there and he doesn't seem to notice. It'd be a risk, but you could try to grab it-

But as you are taking your time to study things, you're locked into the office before you get a chance to burgle him. Perhaps another opportunity will avail itself.

Sizing up the veil carefully, and looking through it, you notice that there are faint, almost invisible fabric patches sewn into it. There are roughly 15-20 patches, all of different items. A set of lockpicks, a pouch with sparkles coming from it, a dagger, a window... And many more.

"Free advice... Don't pull at the patches until you're back in your cell." Tiadora advises. "If you want any more instructions, one of your cellmates should have the required expertise for all those fiddly little details. Between the lot of you it should be easy. Do hide that somewhere on yourself for now, you should be THAT skilled at least."

She yawns and studies the nails of one hand.

"If you can get free without making a mess of it, go south of the city, roughly three miles into the moors. You will find a mansion there, with a red light in one upper story window. My master awaits you there... DO try to avoid tardiness, he hates that."

"Now, do you have any final questions for me, or are we done, so that I may leave this grimy hovel?"

Frivolous
2012-10-31, 01:17 PM
Sirin Starshine


She nods and speaks softly, glancing every few moments at the door. "First, thank you for offering me, us, this chance for freedom. The fate they have planned for me alone is hideous."

As she speaks, Sirin folds the veil into a tiny packet and expertly conceals it a hard-to-reach spot in her rags.

She still has enough modesty to turn around so Tiadora cannot entirely see the undignified way she has to do it.

Sleight of Hand
Take 10 on Sleight of Hand to conceal it in her rags.

Sirin chokes back a wretched sob, then turns around to face Tiadora again and continues, "I do have questions, though, if it pleases you."

"You are sure you want all six of us to escape? I mean, if one or more of us is a spy, we might get free only to lead them to your mansion. Which would be bad."

"How much of a mess will you tolerate us making?"

"What time of day is it? And if it is daytime, how close are we to sunset?"

"What can you tell me about the prison's guards and defenses? Or is that part of the test?"

She flashes a sweet smile as she asks the last question. Sirin has no problem at all cheating, so long as she doesn't get caught.

OOC Notes
Sirin means everything she says, but she shows more emotion because she believes sobbing is expected of a young lady in dire circumstances like prison.

Appearances count for a lot with Sirin. Plus she took drama classes in school.

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 01:32 PM
Tiadora's sneer spreads. "Very well then, in order..."

"Yes, the five you share your cell with have been examined as well. Their qualifications are equivalent to yours, though in different areas. They are not spies. I... "Vetted" their backgrounds myself. Showing up without them, while signifying an impressive effort, would make my Master displeased."

"Mind you if one or two of them... Or YOU, for that matter are weaker than I thought and fail to seize their freedom even with the generous help I have provided, ah well. Life goes on."

"I do not care what sort of mess you make. Of course, starting a widespread alert would not be conducive to your escape. Remember, you still must leave the city after you escape the prison. The wall is not THAT far, but pursuit would be unfortunate."

"It is dusk outside."

"The prison's ins and outs are left to you and your new colleagues to discover and adapt to."

"Anything else... Dear, false sister?"

Frivolous
2012-10-31, 01:45 PM
Sirin Starshine


"Nothing else. If your gift does what you imply it can, I have everything I need to get us all free."

Sirin curtsies as if she were attending a ball and wearing a nice gown instead of standing in prison and wearing rags.

"Thank you again, Lady Tiadora."

Sirin straightens and waits for Tiadora to call for the guards so she may depart.

As soon as Tiadora calls, Sirin plucks at one of her own nose hairs to make her eyes water and prepares to enter into a storm of frenzied weeping when the guards come to drag her back to her stinking cell.

Griffith!
2012-10-31, 02:03 PM
Variel Amphora

The tiefling sulks in the deepest shadows he can find, watching the goings-on with the jittery intensity of a rat. His eyes - bloodshot and ringed with dark bruises - are wide and staring, his tail twitching side-to side in the gloom. He wears the same rags as the others, the same restraints.

When the guards came in, he didn't react beyond tilting his head to the side. He watched them take the girl, and then quietly went back to amusing himself with trying to wriggle out of the irons.

Escape Artist
Take ten on Escape Artist - not because it's likely to work, but because it's a way to pass the time.

Lost Demiurge
2012-10-31, 02:06 PM
SIRIN

Tiadora nods, face rearranging into a solemn, sorrowful expression of woe. Tears glisten in her eyes, and her hands shake with suppressed grief.

SENSE MOTIVE DC 33
Oh, she is GOOD at this.

She knocks on the door. "Sergeant? I-I think we're ready."
After a few minutes, the door opens. Sergeant Blackerly absently snaps the key back onto his ring, and the guards file in behind him.

One of them starts to pat Sirin down, and Tiadora shakes her head. "There's, there's no need for that. My sister dies tomorrow. I have accepted this. Please just- Just take her away. I'll find my own way out."

The guards look to the sergeant, who nods. "No need for that. Let her find her own way out."

The guards start walking you back to your cell, Blackerly slightly ahead of them. You COULD try to snag his keys right now. Your hands are behind your back, but you COULD concievably try to brush past him when you enter the door of the cell.

Mind you, if you're caught, beatings will follow VERY shortly after. Then the veil will be a moot point until you regain consciousness.

Might be a little too late by then...

Sjurd
2012-10-31, 02:18 PM
"Now listen child, turn that frown upside down, didn't your mother ever tell you that if you make a face like that it may just stay that way?"

For a moment Silas gave her a sidelong glance, then snorted in amusement. "My mother sold me into slavery, little one." He craned his neck, waiting for the waifish brunette to return down the hall. "What - misunderstanding - brought you to this place, gnome?"

Frivolous
2012-10-31, 02:19 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin bawls as Tiadora makes ready to depart. But then she has a start of very real and unpleasant surprise.

"Wait. Tomorrow? I'm getting the Iron Maiden -tomorrow-?"

She sobs and cries a lot and generally makes a very loud spectacle of herself, but she doesn't bother to struggle or go for the guards' keys. Not when she feels pretty confident about her ability to disable locks.

She passively allows them to lock her up in a chain again and waits for the guards to depart.

As she hears the booted feet move away, she says, "I'm going to die tomorrow. My sister told me that's when they execute me. I didn't know."

"Would you all tell me about yourselves, to pass the time?"

"I'm Sirin. I am wrongfully accused of causing people to kill other people and themselves. Which is balderdash, because I wasn't even in the room most of those times. I don't know why I'm being blamed at all."

"Also, can any of you see well in the dark? I want to know if I still look pretty for tomorrow."

But there is a subtly excited tension in her tone of voice that does not at all match her previous sobs.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-31, 02:29 PM
Jodiah tilts her head at that spectacle put on by the helf elf and looks back to the half orc "That is enough of that talk, sonny boy, you need to learn some proper manners. I am more than 5 times your age child and you should show a little respect for your elders. Now as far as why I am here there was no misunderstanding whatsoever all I did was free dozens of children from the pain of the world and keep them close to me in a loving embrace." Turning her attention to the half elf she grunts with disapproval "Now listen her missy, there are much more important matters here to worry about than your looks. Don't be acting like a floozy or you will never find yourself a proper husband or be a decent mother. as for vision, I can see well enough in dim light and from what I can see you are utterly filthy." Her tone softens But that is something i can fix readily now hold still... There that's better, now be a good girl and thank Nana Jodi!"

Using my SLA for prestidigitation to clean up Sirin

Sjurd
2012-10-31, 02:32 PM
"My name's Varo. Silas Varo." The large half-orc licked his teeth. "I am here at the courtesy of the Honorable Tobin Wrenbrook, Senior Magistrate of Customs and Exchange in the capital." He sat heavily on the floor, crossing his feet and wrapping his arms around his knees. "There were several baseless accusations made against a gentleman's club, of which I am a member. I paid a call to the judge and informed him that less than virtuous persons might make similar accusations against him, should he persist."

He chuckles and shrugs his shoulders. "I tried to press him to fold a case. He blinked, and now I'm here. Along with a few other indiscretions, that was apparently enough to sentence me to a lifetime in the salt mines."

Edit: "And yes, I can see in the dark."

Griffith!
2012-10-31, 02:46 PM
Variel Amphora

"I am called Variel." he pauses in pointlessly twisting his wrists in the chains, "And I am here because I kill people."

He sighs, shaking his head, "Our nation cares little for the tender ministrations of the just. I delivered unto those poor people the help they craved, the love they lacked, and how am I thanked? Irons kept in poor company."

He continues on, nonplussed, "I can see better than most, I think. You looked far prettier in the dirt."

He turns his attention away, trying to gnaw on the manacles.

Angstrom
2012-10-31, 05:56 PM
Roused from her inflective reverie by Sirin's noisy return, Bridget keeps her back turned to her cellmates. Listening to the conversation, she can't help but resent the guards for placing her with this lot. These people were psychopaths. She certainly didn't belong here.

"For what its worth, I can't see a thing in this darkness. You should call me Sa-. Ah, what does it matter? My name is Bridget."

So accustomed to using alises, Bridget began to lie by instinct, but remembering her surroundings she reconsidered. It felt weird to use her real name; sounded wrong.

Finkmilkana
2012-10-31, 07:46 PM
Marthras looks up again, seemingly not that interested in long conversation right now: I'm Marthras and I was forsaken by those I trusted most. And no, I can't see in the dark.
With that he returns to his silent contemplation.

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 12:10 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin's eyes widen, and she sounds surprised. "Oh. I'm clean! Thank you, um, Nana Jodi!"

"So you can clean from a distance, hmm? Can the rest of you do magic, too? If so, what can you do?"

She turns around and once again does something undignified as she retrieves the folded veil. She turns around, unfolds the veil, and begins to examine it, trying to find and identify all the subtly hidden patches.

In a casual voice, she mentions, "Let's all keep calm and talk as if nothing important is happening, all right?"

"The guards pass by ever so often, and we will all benefit if they have no reason to come in and interrupt what I'm doing."

Angstrom
2012-11-01, 12:38 PM
"What is that?" Bridget asks angrily, "If the guards see that we'll all suffer. What could you possibly do that could benefit any of us?"

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-01, 01:08 PM
The veil is a light, gauzy bit of fabric with raised patches on it. The patches are difficult to notice by sight alone unless your face is right next to it, but are easily apparent to the touch. It has the following patches on it, in tiny and fine detail.

(The numbers reference the footnotes.)

A pouch with sparkles coming from it.
A dagger
A set of lockpicks
A window
A lantern
A tinderbox
A sling
A strange assortment of spheres that twist on wires (1)
A holy symbol of Mitra
A twisted bat-looking thing (2)
A coil of rope
A potion bottle
A potion bottle with a skull and crossbones on it
A rat with sharp spines and an evil look to it (3)
A stack of coins
EDIT: And a bag full of something round, and small.

1. Nana Jodi
That is a holy symbol of Yog-Sothoth
2. Variel
That is the holy symbol of Zura.
3. KNOWLEDGE - THE PLANES DC 12
That rat looks like it has fiendish characteristics

Griffith!
2012-11-01, 01:20 PM
Variel Amphora

Variel watches with interest, a queer smile on his lips, "She could fashion a gag. That might help some of us. A clue? No."

He leans forward, eyes glittering in the light, "Is it a toy? Did you bring enough to share? Do I get to play with it?"

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 01:52 PM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin murmurs, "How totally weird."

She glances up and makes brief eye contact with everyone, looking slightly worried, then she gently plucks at the patch that looks like a set of lockpicks.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-01, 02:00 PM
The patch peels easily off of the veil, and dangles from Sirin's fingers.

Then, after about five seconds, it starts to grow and fill out... The young rogue has to shift her fingers quickly to avoid dropping the now full-sized and normal-looking set of lockpicking tools.

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 02:21 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin cringes and grabs at the lockpicks before they can crash to the floor and make a metallic sound.

Then she beams and plucks at the patch representing the dagger. She lays it on the floor. While waiting for the dagger to appear, Sirin begins to work at unlocking the manacles and chain that bind her.

As she works, she speaks in a distracted tone of voice.

"We have a patron. Powerful. He wants us free, all of us, and go to him. I have directions."

"We are allowed to make a mess escaping, but if we do, we might get caught, so I suggest stealth."

"To succeed, we have to work together. Plus he'll be displeased if we don't. Punishment."

"Any objections?"

Perception and Disable Device
Take 10 on Perception to make sure that the manacle does not have a trap.

If no trap is Perceived, Disable Device.

Since Disable Device for unlocking locks can be tried multiple times, I am rolling three times to save on posts.

Disable Device, first try: [roll0]

Disable Device, second try: [roll1]

Disable Device, third try: [roll2]

Sirin's normal bonus to Perception is +11. To Disable Device, +7.

Due to Rogue trapfinding, extra +1 to both those checks, for a total of +12 and +8, respectively.

If the lockpicks happen to be masterwork, there is an extra +2 bonus to Disable Device using them.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-01, 02:25 PM
SIRIN
You find no traps. You also figure it'll take a DC 20 to get the locks off. They are indeed masterworked.

The locks ARE rather rusty and a bit noisy. Every time you roll and get a total disable device of under 15, there's a chance you'll make some noise. I'll handle the rolls for that.


The lockpicks twist in the locks, and before a couple of fumbles, Sirin's got her manacles open and off.

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 02:40 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin stuffs the veil into her rags and picks up the dagger (assuming it grew from the patch as she expected it to).

Ignoring the terrible itch she'd been aching to scratch on the skin underneath her manacles, she stands up and goes to Nana Jodi and begins to unlock the gnome woman's manacles.

Even though her own manacles had been untrapped, Sirin takes care to inspect Jodi's manacles for traps, too, just in case. After all, Jodi could cast spells.

Still sounding distracted, she asks, "Can anyone use a sling? It and the dagger may be the only weapons in this thing. But I'm not sure it's got any sling bullets."

"What about magic?"

She curses under her breath and complains, "These manacles are incredibly rusty."

Perception and Disable Device
If the lockpicks are masterwork, that would raise Sirin's Disable Device bonus to +10.

In that case, take 10 with both Perception and Disable Device to check for traps and to open the manacles of everyone, in the following order:

Jodi
Bridget
Variel
Silas
Marthras

Morbis Meh
2012-11-01, 02:41 PM
Jodiah, gives an odd smile and gingerly plucks the odd assortment of spheres and wires. She places it in the palm of her hand, waiting for it to enlarge, she doubts anyone had knowledge of what it was or who it represented but that was no matter at the very least it would allow her to keep herself alive until she could grab a few components for more offensive spells. She looks at the half elf struggling with her bonds "Keep trying deary, you can do it just keep calm and take your time! Remember good things to all those who wait and once we are free we can slit the throats of those guards and dance with joy while their blood spurts!" She adds a warm smile at the end of the statement and as she speaks she moves her hands in an odd pattern.

YAY for divine focuses, now I can cast all of my spells huzzah! Also i just cast guidance and anytime she does a skill check I shall cast guidance I will spam it until i am blue in the face :smalltongue:

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 02:50 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin was so focused on unlocking Jodi's manacles that she didn't notice the oracle plucking out the veil.

She exclaims, "He...." then, fearful of alerting the guards, chokes back the shout of outrage.

Then the weird little bauble grows on Jodi's palm. "Oh. What's that?"

Not waiting for the answer, she goes back to examining and picking the lock.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-01, 02:53 PM
Jodiah offers a queer smile and holds a finger to her lips "Nothing to concern yourself with deary, just keep working and hush, we have a unique and very rare opportunity so let us not waste it."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-01, 03:00 PM
And in a few minutes time, Sirin is able to finish unlocking the restraints of everyone in the cell.

PERCEPTION CHECK DC 16
You're hearing footsteps coming toward your cell. Sounds like a guard. Probably a patrolling checkup. Probably...

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 03:06 PM
Sirin Starshine

Perception: [roll0]

Griffith!
2012-11-01, 03:22 PM
Massaging his wrists, Variel slips back into the shadows, his pointed ears perking up.

Stealth
[roll0]

Perception
[roll1]

Morbis Meh
2012-11-01, 03:27 PM
Perception[roll0]

Jodiah's ears perk up at a very familiar and distressing sound she looks to the others and says softly but hastily "Patrol is coming, quick hide anything you don't want taken and conceal your manacles!"

I shall use guidance on meself to get a +1 to stealth... I will post the roll right after

Morbis Meh
2012-11-01, 03:31 PM
StealthHiding some manacles! [roll0] Jodiah silently places the odd item inside of her shirt between her breast and sits against a wall with her back turned towards the bars. She begins to rock slowly, resuming her dreamy expression and softly begins to ramble about 'her children'

I can always do a perform crazy or do a bluff check just let me know!

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 03:44 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin looks confused at what Jodi says. Looking strangely at her, Sirin moves to her manacles and puts them on loosely, but does not snap them closed to re-engage the lock, so she can slip out of them easily.

Then she makes her precious possessions disappear: lockpicks, dagger, and veil.

Then she closes her eyes and pretends to be asleep if the guard should look inside.

Sleight of Hand
Take 10 on Sleight of Hand to conceal the three items on her person.

If she can't make them disappear (too large, not enough time, etc.), she just sits on them.

Angstrom
2012-11-01, 06:50 PM
"What?" Bridget demands when Sirin pulls the lockpicks off the veil. Her facial expression changes from one of resentment to a blank stare as Sirin's manacles pop off.

The explanation clearly pleases Bridget. As Sirin comes to unlock her manacles, a look of purpose can be seen in her eyes. The feelings of hopelessness and resentment fade, replaced by malicious intent. Not powerless anymore.

When freed, she smiles warmly at Sirin. "Well done girl. Hand me that trinket of yours wouldn't you, if it comes with the right spell components I'll be able to make it so we get out of here completely undetected."
Is the sparkly bag a spell component pouch? If yes, can Bridget grab it while Sirin unlocks the others? She'd like to ready a sleep spell for if they're discovered.
Perception: [roll0]

When Nana Jodi warns her of approaching guards, she returns to her previous position, back turned to the other forsaken and the door to the cell. With the manacles placed loosely around her wrists and her knees curled up to her chest, she conceals her freedom with her rags.

Sjurd
2012-11-01, 08:30 PM
ooc: Sorry for the delay! I spent nearly half an hour trying to figure out the dice roller. It turns out if you do a preview of a dice roll in your post, the code gets messed up.

Silas smiles at the sudden turn of fortune. "We shouldn't act now. We need to wait until dark to make sure we're less noticeable." He moves to the corner and tries to keep his hands hidden. "Also, don't throw away those manacles when we leave. They can be worth a tidy sum to the right buyer."

ooc: The SRD says masterwork manacles are worth 50gp and only 2lb each. :)

Stealth check [roll0]

Finkmilkana
2012-11-01, 08:39 PM
Once he notices the veil Marthras gets even more pondering. Escape? Hmm. You know, even a few hours back I wouldn't have hesitated to report you to the guards. But maybe this is a chance, my last chance to show them how wrong they are in everything...
His voice trails of but after short moment he seems to regain some of his posture.
Yes, yes. This is something I should have done long ago.

After his shackles are opened he points at the holy symbol of Mitra and asks Sirin: Would you mind giving me that? .

Should Sirin give it to him and if it looks easily broken (and if he thinks that wouldn't be to loud) Marthras would try to break it in two.

Once the guards approach he also trys to hide any signs of escape and look as unremarkable as possible.

Stealth:[roll0]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-01, 10:33 PM
The guard shows up, unhurried, and glances at the cell as he walks by. Guy looks bored.

He passes by, and the pad of his boots echoes down the hall. If he follows the regular routine, he'll be back by here again in a few minutes, going the other way. Then things will be relatively clear for half an hour or so, when it SHOULD be about time for the lateday meal.

Marthas easily manages to mar the holy symbol, scarring it.

Bridget DOES indeed find the pouch patch to be a spell component pouch... A rather overstocked one, containing things that look to be useful to a divine caster, as well.

Frivolous
2012-11-01, 10:44 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin takes off her manacle, takes up her items (veil, thieves' tools and dagger), rises, and begins to examine the lock to the cell for traps.

Speaking in a low voice, but still sounding excited, Sirin speaks, "Let us plan our escape. I suggest stealth and minimal murder. Get to the roof and use the rope patch to climb down. That way we avoid most or all of the guards."

"What do you think?"

Perception and Disable Device
Perception: [roll0]

If no traps detected, take 10 on opening the door.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-01, 10:49 PM
Jodiah thinks for a moment, she didn't have much memory of the layout of this place since she couldn't exactly see through the thick sac they put over her head. "That is one way to go about it dear but remember, we can via sea so unless you all can swim things may get a little...soggy. I suggest that we have a contingency, were any of you in the military? If so would you be able to tell between guard ranks, using a high ranking officer as a hostage may be needed if things do not go well."

Sjurd
2012-11-01, 10:57 PM
"I say we wait for him to pass again. After that, we should have half an hour before mealtime to scout the hallways and get a layout of the prison we haven't seen yet. No sense in rushing out blindly."

Angstrom
2012-11-01, 11:38 PM
"Do you know how to get to the roof? Do you know how to get to the shore? Where did they take you during when you were visited? What we need is a hostage. Get that gate open and I can make sure that guard never finishes his patrol." The smirk she wears makes it clear her self-confidence is back in force.

She turns to Jodi, "I take it you know how to use that trinket of yours. Any other spellcasters take what you need from this pouch; it seems our mysterious patron was most accommodating."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-02, 09:01 AM
Jodiah frowns Brigit "Yes child I know how to use this but you should be aware that taking a hostage right from the get go is a very bad idea. It immediately escalates the situation and if we don't get a suitably important hostage then it is a moot point, they will shoot them down with the rest of us. Stealth would be the best option and taking a hostage as a last resort but it would have to be done all in one shot. For scouting is not an option either, it would take too much time to do so for the person scouting would have to unlock doors then relock them on their way back or else the ruse is pointless. Secondly they have no means of keeping track of time so they may not make it back in time and the alarm would be raised immediately. We will have to do this blindly and in one go or else it will not work for delaying will be the death of us. I can trick a few guards here and there to make us getting past them easier."

Finkmilkana
2012-11-02, 10:13 AM
"Don't get any illusions about getting out of here without a fight. Not with such a big group, someone is bound to be detected.
And while I don't think they will just shoot down a hostage, they are to meek for that, they might still believe they can take us before we can kill him. So a hostage should only be a last resort and it will also slow us down considerably."
He thinks for a short while
"Oh, and should we see any lone guards it might even be wise to jump them. The risk of them getting to scream seems almost worth it to get weapons. IF we run into a patrol I would rather not have to fight them barehanded."

Angstrom
2012-11-02, 10:39 AM
"You don't get very far in my line of work without knowing how to extract the information you need. I don't propose we capture a guard to use as leverage; I propose we capture a guard and learn how we're going to get out of here. We are blind in this cell, we need information."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-02, 10:53 AM
Jodiah rolls her eyes "Oh yes because now is the perfect time for an inquisition, you seem to forget we are limited in our time, lack the proper tools and also have no means of silencing the guard if he tries to sound the alarm. You see most of these goody goody types love being a martyr, the seem to have some deluded notion that gods like that sort of thing. We do not have time to interrogate and that in itself is risky for why would they bother giving us the information when they could easily raise the alarm via shouting. Let's just break out of the cell and move out quietly, jumping guards here and there and if we happen across a set of keys we could release other prisoners to use as a distraction. Sitting here and waiting is usually a bad idea and taking even more time to interrogate is a worse idea."

Angstrom
2012-11-02, 11:10 AM
"Move to where? What other prisoners? We don't know a thing. We go out there unprepared, we're all going to be killed."

"How many martyrs do you know personally? I've yet to meet anyone who values anything more than their own skin. I put one of them to sleep, we gag him, we take his weapons, we find a route out of here, we find out how to release any other prisoners as a distraction, then we kill him. It'll take less time than we'd waste making wrong turns trying to clumsily find a way out."

Frivolous
2012-11-02, 11:30 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin nods, agreeing with those who argue against interrogation without turning from examining and working on the door lock.

"We don't have enough time to conduct a useful interrogation."

"If they can open their mouths to answer our questions, they can also open their mouths to scream for help."

"I believe we should just sneak our way out, on our own. And maybe ambushing any lone guards we find, for armor and weapons. And clothes."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-02, 11:37 AM
Jodiah shakes her head "My you aren't too bright are you? Move to where: anywhere but here since they know where we are. What are prisoners: WE ARE IN A PRISON I think it would be safe to assume there would be more than us. We stay in here and we will be killed, feel free to remain, for all we know we may not even get a meal it could be the execution squad. I have met several of the sort when it comes to people doing something foolish for an ideal so do no underestimate it. Putting them to sleep great idea now we have someone to drag around behind us or wait for them to wake up. Gagging them is counter productive and once the gag is off it would be very easy for them to shout; further more you are forgetting one massive flaw in the entire plan: your magic may fail and you're assuming that the guard will be more afraid of you than their superiors. Everything else you blathered about is a rehash of what we've been saying. Your follish notion that you can successful interogate a guard will squander what advantage we have: surprise." Turning to the half elf "Miss would you be so kind to open the door, I think we should be leaving, though this one would prefer staying."

Frivolous
2012-11-02, 11:44 AM
Sirin Starshine


"I'm working on it. This isn't easy. The locks are so rusty."

OOC
Waiting on permission from Lost Demiurge. :smallsmile:

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-02, 11:44 AM
Sirin gets the door unlocked, just in time. Hearing footsteps, she hastens back to her spot on the wall, just as the guard walks past, glances in again, and keeps on going.

Unless someone does something, he'll be out of sight in three seconds...

Sjurd
2012-11-02, 04:41 PM
Silas tensed, hoping that now would not be the time for action. Let him pass, people. It's too risky right now.

Angstrom
2012-11-02, 09:13 PM
Jodiah shakes her head "My you aren't too bright are you? Move to where: anywhere but here since they know where we are. What are prisoners: WE ARE IN A PRISON I think it would be safe to assume there would be more than us. We stay in here and we will be killed, feel free to remain, for all we know we may not even get a meal it could be the execution squad. I have met several of the sort when it comes to people doing something foolish for an ideal so do no underestimate it. Putting them to sleep great idea now we have someone to drag around behind us or wait for them to wake up. Gagging them is counter productive and once the gag is off it would be very easy for them to shout; further more you are forgetting one massive flaw in the entire plan: your magic may fail and you're assuming that the guard will be more afraid of you than their superiors. Everything else you blathered about is a rehash of what we've been saying. Your follish notion that you can successful interogate a guard will squander what advantage we have: surprise." Turning to the half elf "Miss would you be so kind to open the door, I think we should be leaving, though this one would prefer staying."

"And you aren't too wise." Bridget retorts. "Your risk analysis is biased by fear. If you are caught outside of this cell you will be killed on sight. Your foolish notion that you can successfully sneak past the myriad checkpoints and guardposts that surely lie in your path will get you killed. In this cell we are safe for the time being; there is no rush. A captured guard will sing; it doesn't matter if they fear us more than their superiors because the only option they'll be given is cooperation or death. If you are all that eager to die, by all means, lead the way. Maybe I'll get some entertainment in my last moments as I watch you get cut down."

Bridget has trouble believing that the others are rash enough to wander out into the prison without a plan, and suspects there's something they aren't telling her. While the half-pint is surely deranged, the human girl made fast work of those locks and Bridget suspects she is already in league with this patron. That, or they're just as unstable as she suspected.

Sjurd
2012-11-02, 10:44 PM
Silas takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. I really hope that their nerves are making them this chatty. Otherwise we will need to have a talk about the benefits of brevity.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-02, 11:22 PM
The guard passes without incident.

The door is unlocked.

Things are quiet.

Now what?

Sjurd
2012-11-03, 08:37 AM
Making sure that the guard's footsteps have receded out of earshot. Silas nods and whispers to the group. "If you are decent at sneaking, pick a direction and start exploring. If not, stay here and we will come back and coordinate after taking a look." He opens the door and starts to move down the hallway, looking in the nearby cells to see if there are any other prisoners currently in Branderscar that could be potential allies.

Sjurd
2012-11-03, 08:41 AM
ooc: The dice roller is still confusing to me. I accidentally put "1d204" instead of "1d20+4" into my previous post. When I went to fix it, it refused to make the rolls and posted that message in red. How do I edit a dice roll if I make a typo?

Perception [roll0]
Stealth [roll1]

Finkmilkana
2012-11-03, 09:50 AM
Marthras sliently moves with Silas.

Stealth:[roll0]
Perception:[roll1]

@Sjurd If you have already posted, you can't. You have to let the faulty roll stay and maybe put it in spoilers and write that it was an error. If you delete it the red message will appear to keep people from cheating.

Sjurd
2012-11-03, 11:39 AM
ooc: Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know!

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-03, 01:13 PM
Silas and Marthras step carefully into the hallway...

They find themselves in about a 100 foot long, ten foot wide corridor, lit by smoky lanterns every 40 feet. There are tons of shadows here, and the inquisitor notes that there are unlit lanterns between the lit ones. The place'd be a lot brighter if they were filled.

KNOWLEDGE - LOCAL DC 10
Either they aren't getting enough money here to fill the lanterns, or someone's funneling the oil money elsewhere...

Aside from the cell door just exited, there are four other empty cells along this hallway.

There is also a corridor between two cells that leads south, to a closed oaken door with a grilled window upon it. Light spills out from the window.

Directly to the west from your position is a heavily reinforced cell. The bars are twice as thick, and the door to it is bound with a heavily chained padlock.

Inside, restrained to the wall, is a ten-foot tall creature that resembles a hugely muscular and brutish man, wearing only a loincloth. An ogre!

He is watching both you, with narrowed eyes. One meaty paw comes up, and he beckons you closer.

Sjurd
2012-11-03, 01:22 PM
Intelligence check [roll0]

Silas points to the unlit torches in the sconces on the wall. He whispers to Marthas. "Either they aren't getting enough money here to fill the lanterns, or someone's funneling the oil money elsewhere." He pauses in front of the ogre's cell, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. He walks over and leans in to prevent his voice from carrying. "Hey. I'm Silas. You are?"

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-03, 02:04 PM
"Grumblejack," rumbles the ogre. "If you're leaving this place I want to come with you. Beats what they got planned fer me."

Sjurd
2012-11-03, 02:25 PM
"Time is of the essence, friend. Just a moment." Silas sneaks back to the party's cell and tells them what he saw. "So... there's an ogre in the cell next to us. I'm thinking, hey, he can be quite useful to us right now. I say he joins us, at least until we get out of here."

Griffith!
2012-11-03, 03:45 PM
Variel Amphora

"You know..." Variel begins, picking idly at his fingernail, "We don't get put here for playing well with others. If you want to let the ogre out of it's cage, I'll not stop you, but I will remind you thus - ogres are not known for their stealth.

"Although... we could simply open all the cells. After all, how many of our compatriots have been wrongfully imprisoned by this oppressive regime? It would be for the greater good to release this ogre."

His eyes light up, "Just think of the body count."

Angstrom
2012-11-03, 05:04 PM
"An ogre? Unusual. Did your sister mention this ogre? He could be useful to create a distraction."

Frivolous
2012-11-03, 08:19 PM
Sirin Starshine


Upon hearing Silas' information, Sirin rises and makes ready to depart the cell. She takes all her meager equipment (thieves' tools, dagger, and veil) with her.

Sirin shakes her head in a negative to Bridget. "She didn't mention anything at all about the prison. Said it was part of our test.""

To Silas, she says, "Let's ask this ogre about his intentions towards us, yes? See if we think he is telling the truth."

"Not that we have much choice about letting him go. He'll surely shout for the guards if we -don't- let him go. But we can at least see if we should encourage him to find his own way out, yes?"

She asks first for directions from Silas, then she sneakily makes her way out of the cell, straining her senses and scanning in every direction as she goes to talk to the ogre.

Various rolls
Perception: [roll0]

Stealth: [roll1]

Knowledge (Local): [roll2]

She waits until at least Silas or Marthras is there to watch the ogre with her, then she gives the ogre a friendly smile. "Hello. Nice to meet you."

"Who are you, what are you here for, and can you agree not to attack us or give us away while we make our escape?"

It's quite possible the DM would wish to roll this himself so that we don't know how good our Sense Motive checks are.

But in case we are to roll this ourselves anyway, here is the roll:

Sense Motive: [roll3]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-03, 08:57 PM
The ogre looks down at the tiny half-elf.

"Name's Grumblejack. Here for killin' li'l squealers. You take me with you I won't attack you none. I'll foller directions. Hell, get me out this place I'll owe you an' yers a life debt. Swear by me gut!"

SIRIN
He seems sincere.

Frivolous
2012-11-03, 09:20 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin studies Grumblejack carefully, then says brightly, "Sure. But while I work on your lock, tell me: What's a squealer?"

"Also, do you know anything about this prison? Like a floor plan, how many guards there are, stuff like that?"

Then she kneels down and begins to work on the door lock with her tools.

Take 10 on the Disable Device check for the door lock.

Frivolous
2012-11-03, 09:26 PM
I suspect that the lock to Grumblejack's door is better than the one that kept our own cell secure, so I am putting in three rolls for Disable Device, as Sirin will keep trying to open the door.

She feels okay with opening the door because, even if her intuition about the ogre is wrong, he is still bound by the chain.

Extra +2 for the thieves' tools being masterwork.

Disable Device #1: [roll0]

Disable Device #2: [roll1]

Disable Device #3: [roll2]

Finkmilkana
2012-11-03, 09:47 PM
Marthras carefully eyes the ogre, looking for signs of imminent betrayal once the door opens.

Sense Motive:[roll0]

"Hmm, we could wait until they bring us food and then jump them with the help of our our new friend. I guess behind that door is a guard post, so avoiding them would be hard and it seems better to make our move when they are busy with delivering food in a space we know than blindly charging into their room. We just have to hope that no one stays outside that door but sometimes you just have to take risks."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-03, 10:31 PM
"Squealers is anything two-legger that ain't as big as me and weaker'n me. I robbed 'em on the roads, I did, and took food an' gold an' drink from 'em. Then they caught me."

"I don't know much 'bout this place. Was too busy fightin' when they was draggin' me up here. Took two of'em down fore they got them manacles on!"

The door opens under Sirin's expert ministrations. The ogre grins widely, showing yellowed tusks, and offers his chained wrists to her.

MARTHRAS
You're not seeing any signs of treachery. This guy doesn't have much of a poker face at all. It's more of a "go fish" face.

Frivolous
2012-11-03, 11:13 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin stops out of arm's and leg's reach of Grumblejack. She bites her lower lip and speaks.

"You really swear to follow directions, not harm us, and fight as quietly as possible at our side?"

If he says yes and she believes him and no one else says he's lying, she begins to work on the manacles.

Various rolls
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Contingent on his saying yes, on Sirin's Sense Motive roll saying he's telling the truth, and on no one else saying the ogre is lying.

Sirin will wait at least a few seconds before she goes to work on the manacles, to give Marthras and others a chance to speak up.

If all the above conditions are met, Sirin begins to work on the manacles:

Disable Device #1: [roll1]

Disable Device #2: [roll2]

Disable Device #3: [roll3]

Add +2 for using the masterwork tools.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-04, 12:05 AM
"Swear by my GUT, woman. Will follow directions, not hurt you, kill stuff when you say, and try'n stay quiet."

SIRIN
You are pretty certain that he is telling the truth.

The manacles click open on the first try, and Grumblejack grins hugely, lifting his huge hands and flexing them.

Then he looks down.

"Hahahhaha! Good, good. Now what you want me to do?"

Sjurd
2012-11-04, 01:13 AM
Silas holds up two hands in a plaintive pose. He whispers in a twang reminiscent of the ogre's rustic accent. "Now, I know yer itchin' fer some action 'gainst them squealers. Oh yes, there will be blood. But if we go smashin' heads'n makin' a racket, we're liable to wind up back in these cages. Why don't you stay here fer a spell with some of our friends, while the sneaky folks here take a look-see? We'll be back'n talk to y'all 'bout what we find."

Frivolous
2012-11-04, 01:56 AM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin had been holding her breath, half-expecting Grumblejack to reach for her and break her neck.

When the ogre doesn't attack her and in fact appears to be friendly, she lets out her breath and shivers with release of tension.


Silas holds up two hands in a plaintive pose. He whispers in a twang reminiscent of the ogre's rustic accent. "Now, I know yer itchin' fer some action 'gainst them squealers. Oh yes, there will be blood. But if we go smashin' heads'n makin' a racket, we're liable to wind up back in these cages. Why don't you stay here fer a spell with some of our friends, while the sneaky folks here take a look-see? We'll be back'n talk to y'all 'bout what we find."

Sirin gives Silas the half-orc a bland look.

To Grumblejack, she says, "Just follow us for now, Grumblejack. We'll sneak ahead, find some guards for you to stomp on. But quietly. No shouting."

She goes to the prisoners' original cell and quietly announces, "So far so good. We will explore further away soon."

"Oh, and we have found an ally. He seems reliable enough. An ogre called Grumblejack."

"I don't know when Silas, Marthras and I can next send word about our status, if we move too far away. Maybe we should all leave now?"

She goes back to Marthras, Silas, and Grumblejack. "Let's continue to explore, find a way out."

OOC
Silas, Marthras, and Sirin all have +7 bonus to Stealth rolls, so I guess it doesn't really matter who goes first.

The only real problem is vision, but there seems to be enough light for now.

Anyway, here are Sirin's rolls for the next round or so:

Perception: [roll0]

Stealth: [roll1]

Finkmilkana
2012-11-04, 11:01 AM
Marthras moves silently besides Sirin.

Where do you wana go? As I said I believe behind that door is a guardpost that would notice it if we opened the door. Right now I'm still rather in favor of jumping them together with Grumblejack when they deliver food.

Stealth:[roll0]
Perception:[roll1]

Frivolous
2012-11-04, 11:45 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin quietly replies to Marthras, "That might work. But when they bring food, they come 2 or 3 at a time."

"A guard might be just one man. And he is sure to have weapons, unlike the food bringers. It's hard to say which one is more risky."

She glances at Silas and Marthras and Grumblejack. "Let us go and check what may await us on the other side of that door to the south, at the end of the corridor."

"Grumblejack, please hang back a bit so they don't see or hear you."


There is also a corridor between two cells that leads south, to a closed oaken door with a grilled window upon it. Light spills out from the window.

She walks southward, towards the door to the south, the one with the grill.

As she comes within 30 feet of it, she takes especially care to move quietly, crouching down so that anyone who peers through the grill does not see her easily.

First, Sirin listens for sounds of any guard on the other end.

If she hears no one, she peeks through the grill, glancing for just a moment in case anyone there might see her.


Various rolls
Perception (Listen): [roll0]

Stealth: [roll1]

Perception (Look): [roll2]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-04, 12:03 PM
Grumblejack ambles toward the cell, and looks over the scallywags waiting inside. He raises a paw and says "Yo."

Meanwhile, Sirin and Marthras creep up to the door.

As they get within 20-30 feet, she can hear muffled conversation. Even with the window, the door's pretty good at blocking noise.

Peering through the window, she sees a small guard room, lit by a single torch in a sconce. It contains a table and two chairs, both occupied. There are two doors... The one that the villains are peering through, and one on the eastern wall. A staircase descends in the western portion of the room. There is an almost comically large fireplace here, currently unlit.

Two guards occupy the table and chairs. They laugh, and throw cards at an overturned helm, talking about women, their day, how much of an arse Sgt. Blackerly is, and other minor things. A signal horn rests on the table between them.

Now that you've got time to study them, you can tally their kit. All are wearing chain shirts, and they have heavy steel shields nearby. They are armed with longswords, truncheons, and longbows, with quivers of arrows hanging from their backs. They are not wearing keyrings.

A keyring IS visible hanging on a hook set into the back wall, on the southern end of the chamber. Also on the southern end is a corkboard, with what look to be scrawlings of parchment across it. They are currently illegible from your position.

Frivolous
2012-11-04, 12:16 PM
Sirin Starshine


When Sirin turns back from her peek through the door grill, the half-elf looks strangely both horrified and excited. She gestures for Silas, Marthras, and Grumblejack to move backwards away from the door.

When the four of them are far away enough (maybe 30 feet), she whispers her observations in as much detail as she can.

OOCPlease assume that Sirin mentioned everything Lost Demiurge posted earlier about the contents of the guard room.

"The two guards I can see are both armed and armored. There might be more I cannot see."

"I think we need magic for this. I can open the door, but they might hear me picking the lock."

"I'll go tell the others. Maybe they have a solution."

She goes back to the prisoners' original cell and reports to the ones inside, giving her observations in as much detail as she can remember seeing.

"To the south is a door with a grill in it. I snuck up and peeked through the grill."

"The two guards I can see are both armed and armored. There might be more I cannot see."

"I think we need magic for this. I can open the door, but they might hear me picking the lock."

Sjurd
2012-11-04, 02:40 PM
Silas rubs his chin in thought. "What if we have two people stay here in the cell, and make loud noises like they are having a fistfight? The rest of us press against the wall behind the door as it opens, then jump the guards from behind when they come out to take a look."

Angstrom
2012-11-04, 02:51 PM
"You have magic at your disposal, but what if you can't get the door open before they wake up? If one of us were to call out to the guards we could get them to open the door for us, then take them out."

"If one of us cries loud enough to irritate them, not anger them mind you, they'll come in to beat that prisoner into silence. If they don't expect anything, they'll likely leave the signal horn on the table. On top of that, we don't know what's down that staircase you saw so if we're going to jump the guards, the cell block is the best place to do it. Less chance of the noise being heard."

"It could take time though. Even my best performance might take a few minutes to rouse them to action."

Sjurd
2012-11-04, 04:09 PM
Silas nods. "Then how about we leave just one person by the guard room door? The rest of us stay here in the cell to jump the guards when they come to break up the racket, and the guy by the door steals their horn in case they make a run for it."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-04, 04:33 PM
Jodiah sneers at the seemingly useless self proclaimed caster "For someone who claims to have the ability to channel magic you definitely don't use it, either you are a liar and dead weight or you're too pathetic to even conjure the simplest cantrip. Step aside and keep your mouth shut for you just flap your lips and not much else. I will draw them out with little difficulty, now what sound would work best, probably knocking and the sound of their superior? Once the door is open and they see nothing I will simply grab the horn so they cannot raise alarm. Anyone have any useful suggestions?"

Angstrom
2012-11-04, 06:07 PM
Bridget rolls her eyes at the gnome's suggestion, "What a foolproof plan. Its not like the guards will be at all suspicious of the mysterious appearance of a superior officer inside the cellblock without keys. Certainly they won't be suspicious enough to, oh, I don't know, look through the window and notice the absence of any such officer. Maybe you should go play with your bauble, Nana, the adults are talking." With that she turns away from the gnome. The little one's insanity was a liability, but one she would have to bear for the time being.

"As soon as the guards realize one of us is missing from the cell they'll go for the alarm so either we strike before then, or wait in the cell. Perhaps its safer to set the ambush right at the door; fewer opportunities for them to notice something is amiss. The window restricts their field of view, which should let a a few of our number take up postions on either side. As soon as the door opens I'll cast, but should they prove stronger than my magic, as the runt believes they will, you'll have to subdue them."

Frivolous
2012-11-04, 06:39 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin listens with bemusement to the argument.

Addressing Silas, she says, "We can't use the sound of fighting. We're supposed to be chained up to separate parts of our cell, remember? You can't fistfight if you're chained up."

"Of course, our prison guards probably aren't too bright, but we can't take the chance that they're NOT all goblin-brained."

Addressing Bridget, she says, "I can get the door open pretty quickly. The locks in this prison are basic. I haven't had to try very hard yet."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-04, 07:58 PM
Jodiah smiles cruelly "Suspicious is the point, but you are obviously too daft to realise it, they get suspicious thus they open the door. Yes your magic will probably fail if you even have the capability to cast it but I rather doubt that since all you've been doing is talking. As far as being an adult I am more than three times your age you idiot but I suppose we cannot fault the ignorant. Though we may have to do something about you being dead weight."

Turning to the rest of the group "So we either unlock the door and go in, a very bad idea since they have a chance of noticing and thus sounding the alarm, or we draw them out, something the incompetent one has no concept of. If you insist on going that route I can at the very least remove the horn from their possession as you pick the lock. Just give me a signal and i will move the horn as you open the door."

Angstrom
2012-11-04, 09:51 PM
"Is anyone else surprised the insults haven't stopped? She suggests drawing them out. Out of the guardroom sure, but to where? We don't know what's down the stairs or behind that door, so why would we risk trying to lure them either of those directions? If the door leads anywhere they wouldn't expect another guard to be, the ruse is worse than useless. If they head down the stairs, it won't take them long to realize they've been duped and return with weapons ready. At that point it won't matter if we're in the guardroom or this cell, we're dead either way."

Bridget turns back to the gnome for a moment, "Nana, you're right. I can't fault you for being ignorant. I'll try to be more understanding of your condition in the future."

"Your word, Sirin, is all I need. If you ask it, I will cast my enchantment. My concern is that, if they resist the spell, it'll be very easy for the guards to raise the alarm. The little one says she can move the signal horn; I am also capable of doing so, but that doesn't stop the guards from yelling for reinforcements or fleeing down the stairs. The sounds of them falling out of their chairs might even be enough to draw more guards if there are some down the stairwell. That is why I suggested luring them into the cellblock and ambushing them. Its an isolated area where noises are less likely to be heard."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-04, 10:41 PM
Jodiah laughs "Wow you are thick first you accuse my suggestion as dimwitted then you basically regurgitate the same idea but make it more difficult. I really think you should sit down deary obviously thinking isn't your strong suit. How are we supposed to lure them back to the cells, or have you continently forgotten that part? We draw them out so our new ogre friend here can silence them outside of the guard room done and done. So listen dear go back to the cell and have a lie down, while we actually accomplish something instead of making absurd plots. Though I will say this, this is not the time for bickering so until we are on the outside let us just focus on doing something constructive. We could mix all three idea's you attempt you enchantment while Sirin opens the door and I will get the horn out of reach in case your magic is resisted? How does that sound."

Angstrom
2012-11-04, 11:33 PM
"If you need to stay blind to reality to preserve what's left of your broken mind, so be it. Sirin, just give the word"

Bridget will take a spot back from the door where she can see through the window if possible. She'll wait to cast until she either receives a signal from Sirin that the door is unlocked and the group is ready, or spots movement in the guardroom.

Sjurd
2012-11-05, 01:06 AM
Silas rubs the bridge of his nose with two fingers. "I do not need to be angry. I am a leaf on the wind. I can choose to be calm." He takes a deep breath, then speaks in a belabored yet patient tone. "Look. I realize you both have reputations to uphold, but now is not the time for a pissing contest. We don't need anything elaborate to make this work. Instead of a fight or yelling, just... just make a cat meowing. Alright? Just make the sound of a cat meowing and pawing at the door. The guards will wonder how a cat got in the prison, but won't necessarily think that it is dangerous. When you hear the guard's door open, make the sound come from down the hallway in front of our cell. When they come down the hallway, they will probably ask us if we saw any cats. That is when we hit them." He looks around at the party members. "Agreeable?"

Frivolous
2012-11-05, 11:13 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin thinks hard, then speaks.

"Marthras, Silas and I can move quietly, so we will stand near the door as I begin to open it."

"Bridget, you stay as far back from the door as you can and still be able to affect the guards inside with your spell, so they can't hear or see you. As soon as you see me insert my tools into the door lock, you cast your spell."

"Marthas and Silas will be watching. If they see the guards fall asleep, they will signal to Bridget with their hands. Count one finger for one guard falling asleep, count two for both guards falling asleep, and a circle for no guards falling asleep."

Sirin demonstrates with her right hand, raising first one finger, then two fingers, then making a circle by touching four fingers to her thumb.

"If we're fortunate, both guards will fall asleep. We will have no trouble disarming and killing them."

"If we're less fortunate, neither guard will fall asleep. If they're stupid, they might not notice me disabling the lock. Silas or Marthras will whisper to me that they are awake and did not notice. I'll not swing the door open, and Bridget can try to put them to sleep again."

"The greatest danger is if only one guard falls asleep. The other guard will surely notice. Then we will have to all rush in, once I open the door, and try to kill or pin the guard before he calls the alarm."

"Does that plan make sense?"

Sirin seems both excited and a little nervous. The stakes for this escapade are far higher than any prank she pulled in school.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-05, 11:18 AM
Jodiah coughs "Your seem to be forgetting me, I can hide better than most due to my size and I can prevent them from blowing the horn if they resist the spell. Heck I probably can't stick my head above the window without going on my tip toes."

Frivolous
2012-11-05, 11:30 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin glances down the corridor, frowning at the door, then nods reluctantly to Nana Jodi.

"It'll be a little crowded, but sure."

Edit: Then she waits for more responses or objections.

Griffith!
2012-11-05, 04:34 PM
Variel Amphora

Variel stands idly by, leaning against the bars of the cell. He idly fondles a manacle, simply observing the goings-on. He has nothing very much to contribute to the proceedings, and elects instead to follow whatever plan the others come up with. If or when I get my hands on a bow, he reasons, I'll prove my usefulness then. Until that eventuality, however... it's safest for everyone to just hang back.

Sjurd
2012-11-06, 12:57 AM
Silas raises a finger. "Sirin, would you listen at the door? They will likely be chitchatting, or asleep. If I know guards, they love to gripe. We can learn a thing or two if they gripe about the rights things."

Frivolous
2012-11-06, 09:28 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin smiles shyly at Silas and says, "Well, I could, but what if more guards come by while I'm eavesdropping on the two we know are there?"

"Remember, we are heavily outnumbered. They want to kill us. And we have no armor. Only one dagger."

"Don't you think it would be more sensible to eavesdrop on some -other- guards, once we're better equipped?"

She looks at the others, trying but failing to completely hide her impatience, and worse, her fear. Her mind keeps flashing back to the Iron Maiden that awaits her tomorrow.

"Any other plans in mind?"

"Bridget, what do you think? We can't do this without your magic. Do you agree with the plan I mentioned?"

Angstrom
2012-11-06, 01:51 PM
"Eavesdropping is such a imprecise means of getting information. Time is an issue, and we want specific answers, so I suggest leaving the guards alive, to be gagged and brought back to the ogre's cell. By the time you finish securing the armour and weapons, I will have the answers we need."

"No matter what we do, there will always be some risk of being discovered. Sirin's plan is far better than some the ideas some have come up with, and is simple enough to stand some chance of working. Let us begin."

With that, Bridget draws a handful of rose petals and sand from the pouch and proceeds to her position.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-06, 02:26 PM
Jodiah shakes her head "Interogation is a waste of time, since we would have to drag them back to a cell after stripping them down after tieing them up after gagging them properly. It also adds needless danger since they can cry out for help when you try to interogate them, in conclusion it is a moot point for you to even mention it since I will just kill them as soon as they are out. Let's just get this over with." Jodiah cracks her finger and hides, waiting to move the horn if things go south.

Frivolous
2012-11-06, 02:42 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin's lips curve in a small, pleased smile as the others seem to heed her suggestions.

Before she sneaks up to the door, she plucks the dagger she got from Tiadora's veil from her rags and offers it hilt-first to Marthras and Silas.

"I'll be too busy with the lock to use this. One of you who waits with me near the door should attack a guard once I open the lock."

To Grumblejack the ogre, she says, "Hang back, Grumblejack, and when I open the door, please come in and attack the guards."

OOC
Marthras has no natural attack and Silas does (his bite), so it seems more logical that Marthras takes the dagger.

Then she sneaks up to the door. Only when she can see everyone is in position does she nod to Bridget and insert her thieves' tools into the lock.

Various rolls
Stealth: [roll0]

Contingent on everyone being in position, take 10 on the Disable Device roll.

Note: Sirin is immune to Sleep spells.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-06, 03:35 PM
Sirin finds that the door is unlocked, and swings it open!

The two guards look up, utterly surprised, as Grumblejack starts charging down the hall...


SURPRISE ROUND!
(STANDARD ACTIONS ONLY, PLEASE!)

Morbis Meh
2012-11-06, 03:37 PM
Jodiah immediately cast mage hand and moves the horn on the table out of reach of the guards.

If I need to use a move action to get closer so be it, i am not letting them touch that damn horn lol

Angstrom
2012-11-06, 04:08 PM
Bridget casts sleep as soon as Sirin's tools touch the lock, using the window to centre the area of effect above the guards' table. DC17 Will save for the guards or unconscious for a minute.

Since that was a readied action, does she still get a surprise round action for the door opening right away?

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-06, 04:23 PM
Bridget casts sleep as soon as Sirin's tools touch the lock, using the window to centre the area of effect above the guards' table. DC17 Will save for the guards or unconscious for a minute.

Since that was a readied action, does she still get a surprise round action for the door opening right away?

In this case, the readied action WAS the surprise round action. Let's not get too tripped up in the mechanics.

Finkmilkana
2012-11-06, 08:39 PM
Since I'm not sure whats possible I'll give 3 different possible actions:

Marthras moves through the room an tries to block the other exit.

If that is not possible, but a partial charge on the guards is and should some still be standing after the sleep spell I'll try to stab them.

(I'll roll as if I got the the dagger)
[roll0]
[roll1]

If that's also not possible Marthras will move to the horn.

If even that can't be archived he'll just move to the guards, ready to attack next round.

Frivolous
2012-11-06, 09:34 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin looks absolutely shocked to see the door just open. She stands up and hurries into the room, moving towards the single torch that provides illumination.

She intends to pick it up and douse it if and when she observes the signal horn moving away from the guards.

Sjurd
2012-11-06, 10:36 PM
ooc: Do we need initiative checks?

Silas moves into the room, baring his teeth and balling his fists. "Hello boys. Sorry to have to ruin your night."

ooc: Move adjacent to the nearest guard. Hopefully him standing will trigger an AoO if I don't beat his initiative.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-07, 12:59 PM
The guards barely have time to blink, before Bridget casts her spell! Simultaneously, they fall out of their chairs, snoring.

Marthras, Silas, and Grumblejack bolt into the room as Nana Jodi whisks the horn off the table, and into her waiting hands.

Sirin lifts the torch. The guardroom is silent, save for the gentle snores of the two guardsmen.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-07, 01:05 PM
Jodiah casually strolls over to the guards and begins looking for a dagger or any sharp object she could use to slit their throats.

Perception [roll0]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-07, 03:39 PM
The unobliging guards don't seem to have any daggers lying around, how thoughtless! But Nana Jodi's eyes finally alight on their longswords. A little awkward, true, but they're not in a position to resist.

Still, while she's looking things over, the rest of the group of escaped prisoners has time to do as they please...

Finkmilkana
2012-11-07, 08:01 PM
Marthras grabs a truncheon from one guard and starts seaching him for keys or other usefull things.

Perception:[roll0]

"We should make haste, every second we stand here now we risk being detected."

Angstrom
2012-11-07, 08:39 PM
A smirking Bridget strides into the room. "Nice trick Nana, but rather unnecessary wouldn't you agree?"

Still cautious to remain quiet, she moves to inspect the unconscious guards. Reaching past Jodiah, she pulls the longswords from their sheaths and offers them for anyone to take. "Time to arm yourselves, we have no way of knowing whether that anyone heard that."

The following is void if someone besides Jodiah protests to her keeping the guards alive for now.

"I'll take these ones back to the cellblock and strip them for information and gear. Signal if guards are coming. Grumblejack, could you please assist me in transporting these two back to your cell for some payback." She rips sections of fabric from the guards' tunics and fashions heavy gags. With practiced ease she stuffs them into the mouths of the unconscious prisoners, having Grumblejack lift each one as she does so to prevent any thrashing from knocking over furniture. She then, smiles to the group, says "I'll just be a moment," and has Grumblejack carry them back to his reinforced cell.

Griffith!
2012-11-07, 11:32 PM
Variel Amphora

Variel wanders down the hallway, humming quietly to himself. He ducks into the room behind Bridget, looks around, and laughs, "You don't need two, girl. Give at least one his due reward; it costs you nothing and they have earned it. These men were loyal, dutiful. They deserve their deaths."

He reaches out, and takes the longsword from her fingers. Before she can stop him he lashes out, burying the sword in the man's ribs.

Coup de grāce?

Finkmilkana
2012-11-08, 12:48 AM
Marthras sternly eyes Variel while taking Longbow and quiver from the other guard "Don't you think that was quite unnecessary? No one is helped if we leave a trail of bodies behind us besides that they'll be even more determined to catch us and blood splatters around here will also only lead to instantly alarm every guard who comes this way while just an empty post might first have given him something to ponder.
Now we need to make even more haste and it doesn't seem required anymore to get the other back to the cells, the guards who bring us dinner in a few minutes will raise the alarm either way. So we should move now."
With that Marthras gets the keyring from the wall and starts to move to the other door, ready to leave.

If the other door also has an window he will peer through it.

If he found anything while searching the guard he'll take it.

Edit:Just reread the first descripton of the room and made a few changes accordingly.

Sjurd
2012-11-08, 01:23 AM
Silas reaches out and accepts a longsword from Bridget. He hefts the blade, testing its weight in his hand. He then steps over, plants two feet on either side of one guard's shoulders, and buries the blade in the man's neck with a quick thrust. "Strip them of their uniforms. They could come in handy." The half-orc begins undressing his guard and looking for any other valuables or weapons on the body.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-08, 09:22 AM
Jodiah nods as the half orc killed the other guard then sets down the horn and picks up the other truncheon "There problem solved, as the half orc said strip em and move out, there is no sense staying around and hauling back to the cell block it is an unnecessary waste of time. As for the my 'trick' it was a contingency, something you obviously don't know about but I will forgive you since you don't seem like the brightest star in the sky." She begins to quickly search the room for anything of use, like a map or keys(hey now prisons do tend to have maps laying around...).

Perception since this is rushed [roll0]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-08, 09:58 AM
The guards die easily, as Variel and Silas stab them. Grumblejack looks at the corpse in his arms, looks to Bridget, and shrugs. He lets the lifeless corpse drop to the floor and licks blood from his hands.

The door on the eastern wall of the guardroom is shut. There is no window.
PERCEPTION DC 15
There's no sounds coming from beyond this door.

The corkboard seems to be a rough roster. A lot of it's in shorthand. But a careful read shows that there are ten guards scheduled to guard room duty for this week, in shifts of two. If you're reading this right, you've just murdered Coombs and Jenkob.

The fireplace is unlit. There are fairly delicious smells wafting from it.

The stairs descend down a flight. From what you can see without leaving the landing, they end up in a small antechamber with two doors off of it.

Finkmilkana
2012-11-08, 10:38 AM
Perception for the door:[roll0]

Frivolous
2012-11-08, 10:47 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin puts the torch back in its holder. She checks out the door to the east. Then, like Jodi, Sirin reads the roster on the corkboard.

Perception
Perception: [roll0]

"Only ten guards? Nice."

When Variel and Silas kill the guards, Sirin looks disgusted and quickly steps out of the way of the spreading pool of warm blood.

"Nana Jodi, would you mind removing this yucky blood for us with your magic? Unless you think it would send the right message."

She looks for anything useful, tools, flint and steel, anything, muttering, "No clothes? Curse it. I hate walking around in rags."


"Also, Marthras, can I get the dagger back?"

Sirin eyes the fireplace speculatively. If nothing comes to interrupt her, she gets on her hands and knees and looks into it, then looks up and down.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-08, 11:06 AM
Jodiah puts on a slightly crestfallen face and replies in a somewhat somber tone "Sorry dearie but I can only do that once a day... we can only close the door to reduce our chances of being discovered. So where to next, if the chart is correct we have reduced the total guards here by a nice little number. I do suggest we try to avoid the barracks or break room if they have one ..."

Finkmilkana
2012-11-08, 11:31 AM
"Sure, here. There seems to be no one behind that door, I would advise we try it first." With that he hands back the dagger hilt first.
"Hmm, but taking their armor and uniform might indeed be a good idea before leaving, although the blood splatters seem to deter any attempt of an ruse."
If the other guard has roughly his stature and if no one protests, he will strip him and throw over his chain shirt.

Afterwards or if it is not feasible he'll try to open the door with the keys.

Frivolous
2012-11-08, 12:21 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin smiles as she takes the dagger back. The pretty half-elf looks relieved to once again be armed.

"Thank you, Marthras."

She addresses everyone. "Everyone should have at least one weapon. Can anyone use the longbow? Even if no one can, we should bring them along. They're expensive and can be sold for much gold."

Just in case, she makes sure she has all the thieves' tools and did not inadvertently leave a lockpick in the keyhole.

She also takes the deck of cards, for playing with later (being in jail had been extremely boring).

Then Sirin continues to examine and investigate the fireplace and its interior and its contents, looking especially for the source of the nice smells.

Perception
Perception: [roll0]

"I wonder if we can use this fireplace to go up to the roof and avoid all the other guards. It's so big even Grumblejack might fit."

Sjurd
2012-11-08, 01:27 PM
Silas dons a chain shirt, as well as the tabard of a guard of Branderscar Prison. "This should help us to surprise a few more of them." He looks to Marthras. "If we run into anyone, we both drank from a bad keg of whiskey and our throats are hoarse. I'll be Coombs. Does anyone see a cloak to hide our faces with?" He takes up his longsword and new heavy steel shield. "You see something in the fireplace?"

Group Equipment/Unclaimed Loot: (6) masterwork manacle, (1) longsword, (1) heavy steel shield, (2) truncheon, (1) longbow, (1) quiver.

Angstrom
2012-11-08, 01:37 PM
"Hmm, but taking their armor and uniform might indeed be a good idea before leaving, although the blood splatters seem to deter any attempt of an ruse."

"What a mess you've made."

Bridget shakes her head, clearly disapproving of the executions. Did any of them care that they had no idea where they were going?

"At least hold still while I clean that up..."

Prestidigitation to clean the uniforms.

Griffith!
2012-11-08, 01:43 PM
Variel Amphora

Though disappointed there are no more corpses to strip or costumes to don, Variel hums tunelessly to himself. He picks up the longbow, testing the draw. He looks over the arrows in the quiver and then, satisfied, takes them both. He wraps the bloodied longsword in a rag and ties it to the quiver, slinging it around his shoulder like a satchel.

"I am ready to move on." he says, his tail fiddling idly with the arrows at his waste, "If anyone else intends very much to do any shopping, best to do it now. Though I fear these stores may have run dry."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-08, 01:52 PM
Jodiah gives a skeptical look at Sirin "You do know that fire places aren't for climbing right dear? It would be pretty difficult to climb up a sheer vertical wall with no tools, Grumblejack could always brace himself against the sides but I am afraid that the rest of us wouldn't have that advantage. Also if we somehow did manage to get to the roof, how would we all get down? We don't know how high the prison is and if our rope would be long enough to get the job down. Why did I pick this thing up again?" She sets down the truncheon and picks up a heavy shield instead, she was in now way a fighter at least this way she could have cover of some sort.

Griffith!
2012-11-08, 02:00 PM
Variel Amphora

"Perhaps if we all strip down, we could fashion a longer rope from our rags!" he exclaims gleefully, before falling into a dark, serious tone, "You and you."

He indicates Sirin and Bridget, "Get started."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-08, 02:09 PM
Sirin peers into the fireplace. Though it's unlit, thin wisps of smoke are rising from the bottom level... And indeed, there's a gap through which she can see a cooking fire. A couple of pots of prison broth, and some nicer-looking cuts of meat and pans of boiling vegetables are busy cooking away on a grille above the flame.

There's enough room for a nimble person to squeeze through the gap and descend, though they'd have to be careful not to drop onto the grille, and the fire.

She also hears very muted discussion from below, so faint as to be indistinguishable even to her ears, and the occasional clicking of metal on metal. All in all, it adds up to a kitchen with someone or someones working in it.

Up reveals a wide chimney shaft, which goes up perhaps ten feet and shows stars and clouds in the night sky. There's a grated cap over the chimney... It would need disabling before anyone exited that way.

Sadly, Grumblejack would NOT fit up the chimney without a lot of grease, noise, and probably damage to the chimney. (And Grumblejack too for that matter.)

Marthras tries the keys in the lock, and finds this door ALSO unlocked. It opens to a small, bare room with a table and several cheap chairs around it. To the average layman, it would look innocent.

But as an inquisitor, his eyes track the subtle stains of old blood in the planks of the floor, the loose tooth lying in a corner, and the marks on the chair's arms where someone was bound to it at one point. This is an interrogation room, and a well-used one at that. There do not appear to be any windows, or exits from this room.

Frivolous
2012-11-08, 02:19 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin was about to answer Nana Jodi and Variel when she turns white and holds her hand up in a gesture of alarm.

In a frightened whisper, she says, "Shhh. Shhh. I hear voices. Down there."

She points downwards into the fireplace.

Then, even more unnervingly, Sirin suddenly smiles very widely. She takes out Tiadora's veil, examines it carefully, then plucks out the patch that resembles a potion vial with a skull and crossbones on it.

She lays the patch on the floor of the room, far from the fireplace, and waits to see if the patch expands into a vial as she expects.

If the potion vial does appear, Sirin opens it and very carefully examines it to see if she can identify the contents.

Poison identification
I have no idea what to roll to identify a poison, but Sirin has a rank in Craft (Alchemy) and a bonus of +5.

If she has any chance of identifying the contents, I ask our DM to roll for me.

Finkmilkana
2012-11-08, 10:20 PM
"So this is a dead end and I doubt anyone would build secret doors into a torture chamber. Seems we'll have to go down the stairs.
Still Marthras shortly looks around the room if there is not anything unusual afterall before sneaking down the stairs and listening if he hears anything from behind those doors. Afterwards he goes back up and tells the rest about his findings.

Perception Torture Chamber [roll0]
Stealth [roll1] (Armor check penalty .....)
Perception Down Stairs [roll2]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-08, 10:59 PM
Sirin plucks out the skull and crossbones bottle, and it expands into a decent-sized vial of liquid that looks vaguely like tea. She sniffs it...

SIRIN
Looks like this is Oil of Taggit! Fairly subtle stuff, easy to slip into food or drink. Causes unconsciousness for 1-3 hours, takes about one minute to set in. (DC 15 fortitude save.)

Looks like you've got just enough to sprinkle the non-prison-broth food, if you're careful and sparing.


Marthras finds nothing more of note in the interrogation room. A quick listen downstairs doesn't reveal anything either.

Sjurd
2012-11-09, 10:12 AM
"So, Miss Sirin, what is in the bottle?"

Frivolous
2012-11-09, 10:46 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin looks very pleased as she softly answers Silas.

"It is called Oil of Taggit. Swallow some, and it puts you to sleep."

"Now watch this."

Leaning very carefully over the descending shaft of the fireplace, the half-elf draws upon all the expertise she gained in the alchemy lab and slowly begins to decant the contents of the potion vial into the cooking food far below.

She tips the vial so that a few drops fall, then counts to 10 silently to herself before she releases more drops.

She tries her best to evenly aim the drops at what she presumes is the guards' own food: the cuts of meat and the pans of boiling vegetables.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-09, 10:52 AM
Jodiah sighs "You know dear I could have lowered it down and poured it closer to the food using magic so it wouldn't be spilled all over... but I guess it's too late now." If dinner is being served anytime soon then we may have a decent chance of escaping in a very simplistic manner.

Frivolous
2012-11-09, 11:24 AM
Sirin Starshine


OOC Since I made it very clear that Sirin would take a long time to poison the food below, I am writing a contingency post in case our DM, Lost Demiurge, allows Jodi to interrupt Sirin before she had done more than spill a few drops of Oil of Taggit.

IC post Contingent on Jodi interrupting Sirin before she had spilled most of the poison

Sirin turns to look blankly at Jodi, then the light dawns.

"Oh. I'd forgotten. I don't use magic myself, just my hands."

She places the open and still mostly full potion vial on the floor. "Here."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-09, 02:33 PM
OOC


(You both do know that it's a skill roll that I will take care of either way to dose the food with poison? And that Nana Jodi has the craft-alchemy equivalent of a damp hedgehog? But hey, if you really want to use a flashy spell instead of relying on superior skill... ::rolls dice and smiles::)

Frivolous
2012-11-09, 03:19 PM
OOC Skill roll? Interesting. Cancel that then.

This is my first character to ever use poison, I think, so please forgive my awful ignorance about it. :smallsmile:

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-09, 03:34 PM
The poison is carefully applied to the meals waiting below. A few minutes afterward, Sirin sees hands in mitts come into the picture, and start withdrawing pots, pans, and skewers. No one seems to notice the added "special sauce".

All is quiet in the guardroom. Now what?

Frivolous
2012-11-09, 03:52 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin suggests, "Let's wait a bit. If all goes well, in a short while, we should hear cries of alarm as people start falling down and maybe snoring."

"If you like, one or two of the stealthier types should descend down the stairs so that we can make best use of the effect. But Oil of Taggit usually lasts up to an hour. If it works, there really is no hurry."

The half-elf is in such a good mood that she begins to giggle. She has to cover her mouth to avoid making too much noise. But then she stops and frowns.

"Unless they have magic, anyway."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-09, 04:10 PM
Jodiah shakes her head "We should keep moving, if they deliver the food they will come here and the entire escape plan would be wasted. Let them eat it in their own time it will still benefit us if we keep moving."

Frivolous
2012-11-09, 04:24 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin smiles and counters, "But if we move too fast, we don't give the narcotic a chance to work. We could end up fighting men who are destined to fall asleep soon anyway."

"If they climb the stairs and discover the blood and bodies here, do you think they'll still be interested in dinner?"

The question does not sound sarcastic or rhetorical. Sirin seems to be unsure how much death and blood and murder affect the appetite.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-09, 04:45 PM
Jodiah sighs "The narcotic may not work period if they deliver here first... Waiting for here is just asking to be discovered, we're not far from our original cell and it may take time for them to finish cooking. If a guard goes by our cell it will be all for not anyways."

Frivolous
2012-11-10, 09:49 AM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin takes up all her meager equipment (veil, dagger, empty potion vial, and masterwork thieves' tools) and rises to her feet. She lowers her head and responds to Jodi in a deferential manner.

"I'm willing to go, Nana Jodi. But is there any way to go down besides down those stairs?"

"If we go down those stairs, we might meet them on the stairway bringing the prisoners' food up."

Edit: She looks at the others, including Grumblejack, clearly wondering what their opinions are.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-10, 01:01 PM
Grumblejack shrugs and spreads his hands. He seems a little confused. "Who leads us, anyway? All this bickering giving headaches."

Finkmilkana
2012-11-10, 11:18 PM
"No, there seems to be no other way. The only question right now is just which door we should use. And I would say we move now if everyone has gotten what he needs."
With that he once again starts to move towards the stairs, waiting if the rest follows.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-10, 11:53 PM
The stairs descend to a 30 by 20 room, with lantern sconces in the walls on either side of a door to the north. A door to the east is unlit. There appears to be nothing else of note in this room.

Frivolous
2012-11-11, 09:27 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin looks nervously at the others, then follows after Marthras at a distance, maybe 15 feet, her dagger in her hand.

She does not follow too closely, since he has armor and she does not.

Sjurd
2012-11-11, 09:06 PM
Silas holds a finger up to his lips to indicate the need for stealth, then slowly approaches the northern door, listening to hear for any noise coming from the other side.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Finkmilkana
2012-11-11, 09:46 PM
Marthras whispers to the rest:I would say we go through the unlit one, I guess it is more likely to find guards behind the lid one.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-11, 10:26 PM
Silas hears muffled conversation coming from behind the northern door. It sounds like it's a distance away...

Sjurd
2012-11-12, 01:27 AM
...and then he listens at the eastern door.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-12, 11:53 AM
Silas hears skittering from the eastern door. Sounds like... Rats gnawing? Not many of them, though.

Sjurd
2012-11-12, 04:00 PM
Silas whispers to the other party members. "I hear scurrying. Maybe rats. Probably no people or they would have scared the rats off."

Finkmilkana
2012-11-12, 10:34 PM
"Ok, then lets try this."
After a few moments and if no one protests Marthras will try to open the unlit door with the keys.

Frivolous
2012-11-13, 10:36 AM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin says, "Just be sure to peek in, then close the door and lock it again if it's dangerous."

She then draws her dagger and hides in shadows waiting for Marthras to open the door.

Stealth
Stealth: [roll0]

For once, Sirin's skill at stealth fails her. She doesn't seem to be hiding very well.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-13, 11:10 AM
Jodiah just mundanely follows, starring out into nothingness with her spaced out gaze. She stands behind Sirin complacently not particularirly trying to hide just being naturally smaller than the figure in front of her.

Well lets see how hiding goes for me, it would be funny if it was low then I could just say she was trying to mimic Sirin :smallbiggrin:
[roll0]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-13, 12:00 PM
The eastern door opens, and dim light from the room you're in spills into the darkness. There are a few squeaks and a scuttling sound, as vermin run for cover. You can see boxes, crates, and barrels, some covered with tarps. The only other exit is a door to the north.

NOTICE DC 18From the room beyond the northern door, you hear someone say "Myra? MYRA? Hey, what's wrong?!?"

Morbis Meh
2012-11-13, 12:13 PM
Jodiah keeps her complacent stare and her silly grin in place Damn... the cook tasted the food and is out cold...

Jodiah looks around the group and says in a distant tone "My this walking tour is sure taking it's time, I think some poor dear named Myra in another group fainted. That's just bad business, I am going to complain to our tour guide!" She stomps off toward Grumblejack and jabs his shin with a finger "Now listen here mister tour guide man, it is bad form to have tour groups walking such long distances without breaks and provided lunch. Not to mention your explanation of this sites are deplorable, I shall lodge a complaint against you with your manager on our way out!" She turns to the group with her dreamy smile and odd gaze "Now everyone my name is Jodiah, but please call me Nana Jodi it's what my children called me, if any of you are feeling dizzy or tired please let me know because I am trained in first aid." She wanders up to Briget "My you are a pretty lass, what is your name child, you look vaguely familiar... maybe we met or maybe I know your mother, I am rather old and I have worked for a lot of families."

Frivolous
2012-11-13, 12:40 PM
Perception: [roll0]


Sirin Starshine


Sirin tilts her head towards the north and brushes some of her hair away so that one of her pointed ears is visible.

"I believe the Oil of Taggit is taking effect. I can hear someone asking Myra what is wrong."

She points at the recently discovered door to the north.

"I believe that way leads to the kitchen, more guards, and all their equipment."

The half-elf gives Jodiah a concerned frown.

"Nana Jodi.... Nana Jodi... We're in prison. You have to pull yourself together so we can all escape."

"We need you to be focused, Nana Jodi."

Then she asks Bridget, "Bridget, can you repeat your spell? If we can take them by surprise while they fuss over the unconscious ones, their equipment can be ours."

Sjurd
2012-11-13, 10:07 PM
"If this 'Myra' is falling asleep, they may or may not suspect the food. We can attack now, or wait a minute or two to allow any others who ate the food to also fall asleep. I think we should wait a moment to allow any guards to fall asleep as well."

Angstrom
2012-11-14, 12:58 AM
"Eating is not what you do if someone falls unconscious. Going for help is what you do."

She turns to Sirin, "I can and I will. Let's get to that door so we're ready if someone is coming this way. When you are ready, signal that you're opening the door and I'll be ready with my spell."


When Nana Jodi reintroduces herself, Bridget gives her a long look. "Hello Nana, my name is Saff. I was just about to go look at the next exhibit. Would you like to wait here and rest for a few minutes with our tour guide? You can welcome the other members of our tour group if they come through that door." she indicates the northern door, "What do you say, my dear, would you like to throw a surprise party for them?"

Sjurd
2012-11-14, 01:10 AM
Silas sneers at Bridget. "You know, girlie, there may be guards in other parts of the prison - guards who are eating right now - who did not hear her yelling. And even if they do, that doesn't mean that the food will be the first assumption. They may even order the maid in there to keep serving dinner while they lug the cook off to the infirmary." He jabs a finger toward the northern door for emphasis. "But if we go in there buck-wild and don't put down everyone in the room in two heartbeats, they will sure as hell know that we are here."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-14, 10:08 AM
Grumblejack is perplexed by Nana Jodi scolding him, but seems to take it in good grace.

From the next room, there is the sound of a door opening, and male conversation.

PERCEPTION DC 18"Okay old man, very fun- Uh. Okay, something's wrong here."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-14, 10:17 AM
Jodiah turns around with with a puzzled look on her face then turns her head back to Bridget "Prison? Of course we're in prison, that is the tour I signed up for... I think or was it the museum of pastires, I cannot recall come to think of it." She frowns and appears lost in thought but snaps out of it at the mention of a surprise party "That would be a lovely idea but it is hardly appropriate on a tour, why we would need to gain permission from the administration then plan the party. Why we don't even have decorations or a cake, everyone knows you cannot have a proper party without cake!" She turns to the big half orc with the scowling face "Guards sleeping on the job? Now that certainly is unprofessional, why we should notify their manager immediately, also tuck in your shirt and stand up straight young man just because you're on a field trip doesn't mean you can look like a slob in public!" She gives a loud audible sigh "I think we should continue on, the day is moving on and their is so much to see, we need to make sure to have enough time to visit the gift shop!"

Frivolous
2012-11-14, 01:11 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin keeps listening to the mumbled conversation on the other side of the door to the north.

"I think... I believe someone else has fallen asleep. A man this time. So that's two down, in addition to the two we caught upstairs."

"As Silas said, if we wait a little longer, maybe more will fall asleep."

OOC
For Lost Demiurge: Was the name Myra in the roster of guards that some of us (including Sirin) read?

The half-elf smiles instinctively at the delicious memory of killing two of her jailers, then she addresses the others.

"Until Nana Jodi comes back to herself, we have to protect her."

"Especially since she has magic. Have you ever seen a caster go berserk when harmed? I would really prefer not to find out what other spells she has up her sleeve."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-14, 03:53 PM
GM REPLYNo, the name Myra was not in the guard roster. Come to think of it, all of the names in the roster were male...

Finkmilkana
2012-11-14, 08:26 PM
"We should make our move now, if we wait to long they might raise the alarm and get reinforcement from the city. At least that's what I would do if everyone is falling asleep without reason and I quite doubt that all ate at once."

Frivolous
2012-11-15, 12:35 PM
"We should make our move now, if we wait to long they might raise the alarm and get reinforcement from the city. At least that's what I would do if everyone is falling asleep without reason and I quite doubt that all ate at once."


Sirin Starshine


Sirin smiles a little as she coos a response.

"-You- might be so decisive and quick-thinking, Marthras, but most people aren't. They dither and walk in circles and pray to their gods for aid before the act."

"So I believe that if you just wait a few more moments, everyone who has had a few bites of food laced with Oil of Taggit will be asleep."

"However, I have been wrong sometimes, so if you want to open the door right this moment, be my guest. I won't stop you."

"I suggest that Silas and maybe Grumblejack stand beside you. Bridget right behind so she can cast her spell."

"But not me, I hope, since I have no armor."

Sjurd
2012-11-15, 04:32 PM
Silas smiles. "I think we've waited long enough just talking about whether or not to wait. Let's move." He takes position by the northern door, holding his sword and shield ready. He motions toward the door with his chin, indicating that someone else should open it so he can be ready to swing.

Frivolous
2012-11-16, 06:30 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin purses her lips, then shrugs and opens the door for Silas.

Then she quickly retreats behind the half-orc's armor-clad bulk.

Angstrom
2012-11-17, 08:29 PM
As Sirin moves to open the door, Bridget readies her spell to cast as soon as the targets are visible.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-17, 09:41 PM
The door swings open, revealing a roomy kitchen. The scent of good food wafts over the group.

Of more immediate concern are the elderly man wearing servant's clothing in the middle of the room. He's currently talking with a guard who's holding a plate of food... The same kind Sirin treated not long ago. Next to them, slumped with her head down on a table, is a plump elderly woman in servant's clothes.

Beyond them, in a doorway opposite yours, a third guard leans against the doorjam, looking tired as hell. That doesn't last for long, as all three of the conscious people in the room snap their heads over to look at you.

"Oh hell." Says the guard in the doorway.

SURPRISE ROUND ACTIONS
(Bridget's gonna drop a sleep spell. Everyone else, choose a STANDARD action to take. If any hostiles are left standing at the end of this, we'll go to standard rounds.)

Sjurd
2012-11-17, 10:21 PM
ooc: How far are we from the two in the middle of the room?

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-18, 12:54 AM
ooc: How far are we from the two in the middle of the room?

OOC: About 10 feet. It's a 20 foot by 20 foot room. Also, the OOC thread is better for questions like this.

Sjurd
2012-11-18, 10:34 AM
ooc: Sorry. I will post short questions in the OOC thread from now on.

Silas takes a 5-foot-step to step into the room and to the side of the doorway to make room for the spell-slingers.

Frivolous
2012-11-18, 11:29 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin looks confused as she rushes past the half-orc Silas.

"Why are you just standing there?" she hisses in passing.

She moves 10 feet to the left until she reaches the corner, then abruptly changes course and moves 20 feet forward, stopping just as she reaches the next corner.

Intentions
Sirin's move is 30 feet. She wants to reach the guard leaning against the doorjamb, since he is the most likely to escape.

However, she also does not want to provoke an attack of opportunity by passing near any square the guard in the middle threatens.

Thus, since the room is 20 x 20, she moves 10 feet to the left and 20 feet forward. If my guesses are correct, this should bring her within 10 feet of the opposite door and the guard leaning against the doorjamb without provoking any AoO's.
The knowledge that Bridget will soon fill the room with sedative magic does not seem to deter her at all.

Finkmilkana
2012-11-18, 12:02 PM
If possible (and the guard still standing when he gets to act) Marthras will partial charge the Guard in the doorway.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Otherwise he'll move next to him, ready to attack next round and trying to block the door.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-18, 02:51 PM
Jodiah simply walks up and casts mage hand, levitating a piece of the drugged meat which she will shove into one of the guard's open mouths.

Yay for creativity!!!

Morbis Meh
2012-11-19, 11:11 AM
Variel, with his newly acquired longsword in hand lashes out at the nearest conscious victim despite his apparent distates of brutish melee weapons.

So Attacking if in range of anything conscious...
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-19, 11:27 AM
Briget throws her spell, and the two guards crumble to the ground!

The elderly servant alone remains standing, and he turns to the unoccupied door... Only to see hope dashed as Sirin and Marthras dash over to it.

He drops his ladle and raises his hands.

"I... Please. Myra and me just cook the food. That's all..."

Frivolous
2012-11-19, 11:38 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin beams at everyone, including the elderly servant. She seems really cheerful now.

She tells Bridget, "Good work, Bree. Really wonderful."

She then addresses the old man. "Don't worry, I'm not going to harm you. It's hard enough to get good help already. And if we killed all the servants, who would do the dishes and sweep the floors?"

Then her tone becomes businesslike and she stops smiling.

"What's your name? Who are these two guards and where are all the rest? When are the rest coming?

"Tell us true, please. I'd hate to think of what my friends will do to Myra if you lie."

If the opposite door is open, she closes and locks it. She also gently disarms the two sleeping guards but doesn't slice their throats yet.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-19, 11:53 AM
Jodiah walks over to the elderly fellow, with a piece of meat floating next to her, she pauses for a moment unsure of what to do but settles on directing the hot morsel of flesh to rest atop the terrified man's head. "Now listen here sir, don't be a meat head and tell me where I can find the pottery exhibit? Or better yet the lavoratory, I have had to go for the past five minutes and there aren't any signs anywhere! As an employee of a museum you should no better, proper signs are needed how else will your patrons know where to go? Bah, I have had enough of this terrible place, I want my money back and I demand you direct me out of this place!"

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-19, 12:00 PM
As she closes the opposite door, Sirin and Marthras get a glimpse of a mess hall beyond. There's four guards in there, slumped over their meals. The only other exit from that room looks to be a door to the west, quite shut at the minute.

Beyond the snoozing guards, sits a rack of pots, with cheap flimsy bowls by them. Looks like they were going to carry the prisoner's food upstairs after they finished dinner.

The old man gulps as the questions come in.

"I'm Kelvan. That's Myra... well, you know her name I suppose. The guards on the floor are Jordi and Narvel."

"Uh, the guards, you're asking about all the prison guards? Well, the inside ones eat first. Except for the door guards, they're out in the hall next to the mess hall right now. And the upstairs guards, they eat last. After the inside ones are done, prisoners get fed and the outside guards come in to eat and the dogs get the scraps."

"The Sergeant and the captain have their meals delivered. Myra took care of that, before we started in on our own dinners." He gestures to some plates off near the dirty dishes. "I wondered why mine tasted a little off..."

When Jodi deposits the pork chop on his head, the old man looks like he's a heartbeat away from crying. He DOES cry when Grumblejack steps into the room behind the group, and growls at him.

"Please, I don't understand any of that... But if you want to go out, the front door's just in the hall to the west! Just go through the mess hall and there you are. But there's two guards out there, and there's the courtyard and gatehouse besides, and a causeway to the mainland that's all lit up. If you get caught it ain't my fault!"

Frivolous
2012-11-19, 01:04 PM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin nods encouragingly to Kelvan as he answers her questions. Then she addresses the other escapees.

"Everyone pick up armor and weapons. If you can use them, take them."

"But don't harm anyone. We don't want to alarm Kelvan here, not while he is being so gosh darn friendly and generous with his time."

Sirin takes a moment to giggle and toss her straight and shiny black hair over her shoulder and wink at Kelvan. She seems much too cutesy to be a poisoner.

"Now, Kelvan, tell me about the Captain and the Sergeant. Who are they? What are they? Where are they?"

"And... Do you know what they can do? Are they fighters, or do they have magic or what?"

"Are there any magic items in this place?"

She glances down at the two who are asleep by virtue of Bridget's spell.

"Oh, and if you can find some rope, we need to tie these two bozos up."

Sirin unlocks and opens the door she is standing near so that Grumblejack and the others can begin disarming and robbing the four guards who fell asleep mid-meal.

Angstrom
2012-11-19, 04:51 PM
Branderscar was failing to live up to its reputation. The hard part was still to come however, getting to the mainland wouldn't be easy.

Bridget gags Jordi, Narvel, and Myra with scraps from her rags as they get tied up. If anyone moves to deal with the guards in the mess hall, Bridget whispers to them, "The guards in the hallway won't be asleep, so perhaps its better if you don't bother with ropes. Please close the door behind you, we don't want any sounds of a struggle here reaching the hallway."

Sjurd
2012-11-19, 08:00 PM
Silas smiles a toothy grin at the servants. "If you deliver that special stew to the rest of the guards, we won't need to kill anyone else." His grin turns slightly sour and he leans forward toward the old man. "Don't you think that's fair?"

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-19, 08:26 PM
"The Captain is... Well, I guess he's the warden. But he lets Sergeant Blackerly handle the day to day stuff. Just stays up in the southern tower, reading all day and playing with his pet owl. Rumors say he's some kind of mage, but I wouldn't know, I just leave his dinner at the door and knock when it's my turn, and pick up the empty tray when it's my turn for that. South tower's outside, and... Well, south. Largest one, you can't miss it."

"Sergeant Blackerly's office is the southwest door in the main hall, just west of here. But he's only in the office sometimes."

SIRIN
Ah, that's about where the guards took you to talk to Tiadora.

"He's... Ah, he takes charge of things. Very... Competent. Used to be a soldier before he got- Uh, before he switched jobs."

SENSE MOTIVE DC 16
Kelvan doesn't like Sergeant Blackerly one bit.

"I don't know of any magic or anything."

The man quivers when Silas suggests he take the meals out to the guards. "I... I, sure. I can just take the stew and go, then?"

Frivolous
2012-11-19, 08:32 PM
Silas smiles a toothy grin at the servants. "If you deliver that special stew to the rest of the guards, we won't need to kill anyone else." His grin turns slightly sour and he leans forward toward the old man. "Don't you think that's fair?"


Sirin Starshine


The half-elf thinks about it a bit, then shakes her head firmly at the half-orc.

"Negative. Either he tells the guards and scuttles our escape, or they notice he's agitated and ask what's wrong."

She smiles and addresses Kelvan.

"Not that I don't trust you, sir, but right now you can't bluff worth a darn."

"I'm still not going to harm you, but you are not going anywhere."

Sense Motive
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Frivolous
2012-11-19, 08:54 PM
Sirin Starshine


"The Captain is a mage with an owl, eh? And Blackerly is a very competent fighter?"

Sirin bites on a strand of her glossy hair and clearly seems to be thinking about trying to rob one or both of them before they depart from the prison.

Then she sighs.

"We should probably avoid Blackerly and definitely avoid the Captain. I don't want to mess with mages."

She suddenly smiles and turns to the addled gnome, Nana Jodi. She starts talking in a very enthusiastic manner, raising her voice so she sounds like a little girl.

"Ooh, Nana Jodi! The museum is very generously offering all gnomes a chance to pick up weapons, armor, and other souvenirs at a real good discount!"

"If you see anything you like, take it. Daddy will pay for it. Just don't eat the food. I hear it's gone bad. Very very bad."

Angstrom
2012-11-19, 09:04 PM
"Just stays up in the southern tower, reading all day and playing with his pet owl."
"Is that what they're calling it these days?"

"I agree with Sirin" Bridget says as she smiles at Kelvan, "It too risky for you, Kelvan, we don't want you to get in trouble. If you cooperate and tell us everything we need to know, you, Myra, and all these guards can walk out of here unharmed."
Bluff: [roll0]
"As you've probably noticed, we are leaving. We want to avoid any harm befalling the guards; so do you I imagine. If you want to keep those people alive, you need to tell us where they are and how to avoid them. Where are these dogs kept? If Blackerly isn't in his office, where would he be? How likely is it that his office will be empty?"

Sjurd
2012-11-19, 09:51 PM
Sirin Starshine


The half-elf thinks about it a bit, then shakes her head firmly at the half-orc.

"Negative. Either he tells the guards and scuttles our escape, or they notice he's agitated and ask what's wrong."


Silas smiles. "That's why the little old lady is staying with us. One wrong move, and I tear out her throat with my teeth." He looks back at the old man. "Savvy?"

Morbis Meh
2012-11-20, 09:20 AM
Jodiah regards the half orc with bewildered disdain "You shall not do such a thing young man! Biting is an awful and disgusting thing to do, come to think of it when was the last time you brushed your teeth? Come down here and show me at once or I will wash your mouth out with soap!" She blatantly ignores the old cook, satisfied with the response he gave Jodiah turns to Sirin. "So dearie shall we be making our way out then, I do have to relieve myself and it isn't very ladylike to do so in the presence of others."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-20, 10:24 AM
Kelvan's eyes flick to Bridget. "There's a kennel out the northwestern door in the main hall. It's on the way to the barracks. I'd guess maybe two or three of the dogs are out at most times patrolling with the walking guards outside in the courtyard."

"There's more guards in the gatehouse. I don't know how many, it depends on how many are actually in there today. The Sergeant... Sometimes schedules people who don't actually show up, and pockets the money." He frowns. Clearly this bothers him.

He gestures at a fresh row of pots on the fireplace. "We have to make extra because not everyone always shows. So there's enough for eight on there right now for the outside crew, but there's no guarantee it's eight that will show up. At least the dogs eat well most days."

He shrinks when Silas threatens Myrta, and looks back and forth between the hulking half-orc and the protesting half-elf.

Meanwhile, Grumblejack has found a ham and is eating well for the first time in quite a while.

Frivolous
2012-11-20, 10:49 AM
Silas smiles. "That's why the little old lady is staying with us. One wrong move, and I tear out her throat with my teeth." He looks back at the old man. "Savvy?"

Sirin Starshine

Sirin shakes her head again.

"Some people are better at acting under stress, but others get stage fright. We don't know which kind Kelvan is, so it's very risky. There has to be a better way."


Jodiah regards the half orc with bewildered disdain "You shall not do such a thing young man! Biting is an awful and disgusting thing to do, come to think of it when was the last time you brushed your teeth? Come down here and show me at once or I will wash your mouth out with soap!" She blatantly ignores the old cook, satisfied with the response he gave Jodiah turns to Sirin. "So dearie shall we be making our way out then, I do have to relieve myself and it isn't very ladylike to do so in the presence of others."

Sirin addresses Nana Jodi.

"If you like, you can relieve yourself in that room, Nana Jodi. It should be safe. Just close the door so no one can see."

Sirin points at the door to the south, through which they had entered a short while earlier.

Sirin then addresses Kelvan.

"Kelvan, tell us about the layout of Brandescar Prison."

"Where are the entrances and exits, including the entrance to the sewers and the midden?"

"Do any of the exits avoid coming too close to the Captain's Tower or Sergeant Blackerley's office? We don't want either to see us."

"You should help us as much as you can. The faster and easier we can get out of here, the less danger you will be in."


Meanwhile, Grumblejack has found a ham and is eating well for the first time in quite a while.

Sounding alarmed, but too cautious and shrewd to just grab food out of a hungry ogre's grasp, Sirin asks Grumblejack, "Grumblejack, is that food warm? Where did you get it?"

"If it's warm, you might want to find something else to eat. You could fall asleep like these fellows have."

Angstrom
2012-11-20, 02:56 PM
"Kelvan, are the hounds likely to bark if someone other than you delivers their dinner? If one of our group delivers their meal, using Kelvan's clothes to mask their scent, we could deal with that threat quite easily."

"You mentioned a barracks. Are there off duty guards in there? When do they eat? Really Kelvan, things would be easier for all of us if you made us a map. You'll do that for us, won't you?"

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-20, 03:57 PM
"Um, I don't know what the hounds will do if you do that. I don't work with the hounds, I just drop off the scraps, me and Myra do. Um, the off-duty guards in the barracks count as inside guards. So anyone resting in there before the meal would be eating with the others now, unless someone's sick or overslept or something."

"Sure. Sure, I can draw a m-map. Please don't kill me the second I'm done with it."

He starts hunting around the cluttered kitchen for paper and writing utensils.

SENSE MOTIVE DC 20
He's stalling, hoping for something to happen.

IF YOU ROLLED A 25 OR HIGHER

You know, he mentioned that the outside guards came in to eat after the inside guards were done. He never mentioned how long it takes the inside guards to finish their meal. It could be that the outside guards are due into the mess hall any time now.


Meanwhile, Grumblejack shrugs at Sirin and shows her a hanging hook, with part of a hambone still attached to it. There's also a few strands of onions, and cupboards and tubs full of dried food and ingredients. Looks like the guards eat REALLY well.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-20, 04:58 PM
Jodiah looks around then finally grabs a kitchen knife and slits throat of one of the sleeping guards. She picks up a carrot, dipping it into the fresh, spurting blood then walks over towards the passed out scullery maid. Using the knife to cut off a piece of her blouse she drops the knife and brings the two items over to the obviously distraught man.

"Here you go dear, just remember now, to do it quickly, we don't exactly have a lot of time... You never know what would happen one of us just may get even more upset about the poor administration of this museum!" She leans up on her tippy toes and whispers "Hurry up now or else I will skin the woman and force you to write on her flayed skin. That's a good boy!"

Intimidate (I am taking the -4 penalty for being smaller but I hope due to the circumstances that I will get a bonus)
[roll0]

Frivolous
2012-11-20, 08:05 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin looks relieved and nods in acknowledgement at Grumblejack.

"Eat hearty then, dear and extremely large Grumblejack. Pick up a sword and shield for yourself when you're done."

Sense Motive
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Finkmilkana
2012-11-20, 09:11 PM
After only watching the interrogation so far Marthras finally decides to join, gazing coldly into the mans eyes:
"You don't seem to be in a hurry to get this done, do you? So tell me old man, what exactly are you waiting for? And don't even try to lie, I believe we both know that you are quite bad at it. You would only reap pain for your troubles, so please spare us both with any feeble attempts

Intimidate
[roll0]

Sjurd
2012-11-20, 11:16 PM
The half-orc chuckles at the mercurial savagery of the little gnome. After listening to her demand the old man draw a map, he walks over, reaches out, and grips him firmly on the back of the neck. He leans in close, letting the servant feel his hot, fetid breath on his cheek. He growls, low and menacingly. "Do what she says, or I will make you watch as a savage her body."

Intimidate check [roll0] woot!

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-21, 09:42 AM
Kelvan looks in horror and disgust at Nana Jodi, not taking cloth or carrot. "You... You just..."

He recoils from Marthras, straight into Silas. Closing his eyes, he sighs, shaking. "No escape," he whispers.

"Okay. Okay... Sure... Look, it's-" He fishes out a charcoal stick and a grocery list, and starts drawing on the back. Poorly. "The fact of the matter is," he looks at Marthras. "The f-fact of the matter is that sooner or later the outside guards are gonna come in looking for dinner. The inside guards don't take THAT long to eat. If they stick to schedule, it'll be about five or ten minutes or so."

SENSE MOTIVE DC 15
He's telling the truth. And also appears to be working as fast as he can.

He's still scribbling, but now he's shooting uneasy glances at Nana Jodi and Silas.

Meanwhile, Grumblejack follows the nice girl's advice and picks up a sword and shield.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-21, 09:50 AM
Jodiah offers a sympathetic smiles and pats the man's leg and says in an ultra sweet and unsettling tone "Well then deary I hope for the sake of you and your friend that we have more time than that or else we will have to resort to taking hostages. That always ends in messy drawn out confrontations and will simply add more stress to everyone!" I am so going to slit this one's throat after we get the map... bugger thinks he can stall us, he may not prove useful to my god but I shall take pleasure in snuffing out such a pathetic flame.

Frivolous
2012-11-21, 10:56 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin gasps at Marthras' pronouncement. For a brief time, the look she directs at the old cook Kelvan is full of fear and hatred.

Sense Motive
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Then she seems to realize she is showing her true self, and becomes expressionless.

"We must hurry. Variel, everyone, grab weapons, armor, anything you can use."


As she closes the opposite door, Sirin and Marthras get a glimpse of a mess hall beyond. There's four guards in there, slumped over their meals. The only other exit from that room looks to be a door to the west, quite shut at the minute.

Beyond the snoozing guards, sits a rack of pots, with cheap flimsy bowls by them. Looks like they were going to carry the prisoner's food upstairs after they finished dinner.

Sirin goes to the door whose jamb the guard had been leaning against before he fell to Bridget's spell, and listens carefully for sounds that anyone awake is on the other side.

Perception: Listen #1
Perception: [roll1]

If she hears no one, she opens the door. If there is still no one there but the same snoring guards, she passes by the sleeping men and listens again at the unopened door to the west.

Perception: Listen #2
Perception: [roll2]

If again she hears no sound of anyone there, Sirin begins to rapidly search the sleeping guards for any coin or valuables, any equipment she or the other escapees can use. Since they are under time pressure, the half-elven rogue emphasizes speed over thoroughness.

She also searches the room and the storeroom.

Perception: Search
Perception: [roll3]

If additional Perception rolls are needed for all those searches, here are some more:

Perception: [roll4]

Perception: [roll5]

Morbis Meh
2012-11-21, 11:03 AM
Nana Jodiah hears Sirin fretting and turns around to see her acting in a tisy, she looks at Sjurd and says sweetly "Would you be a dear and make sure that this man finishes what he started I am going to check on that dear elven lady I do believe she is upset!" Nana Jodiah skips along happily, armed with her shield and kitchen knife. She will follow behind Sirin quietly and slit the throats of any sleeping guards she encounters.

So stealth and perception checks... let me know if you need more LD, Jodiah is just going to off any guards she encouters since the less we need to deal with the better right?
Stealth [roll0]
perception [roll1]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-23, 07:55 PM
Kelvan finishes the map, and hands it over. My, his hands are shaking.

THE MAP
It shows the ground floor of this keep in detail. There's a kennel, Sgt. Blackerly's office, a barracks, and an armory west of the main hall. The route to the armory is through the barracks, the rest of the western rooms have their own doors off the main hall. East of the main hall are the storeroom, kitchens, and mess hall, all of which you've seen. South of the main hall are the stairs to the cell level. The only exit out of the keep is through the main hall, which ends in a northern door.

Outside, to the south, is a tower, labelled "Captain's offices."

To the north is a building labelled Gatehouse. Beyond that is a crudely drawn bridge. None of it's really to scale, since Kelvan has no particular artistic talent when it comes to drawing, and no particular knowledge when it comes to architecture.


Sirin hears no sounds in the mess hall. The door opens to reveal the unconscious guards, unmoved from their position.

When she listens at the door leading west from the mess hall, she hears a muffled conversation. Sounds like 2 men or so talking about where they're gonna spend their money come payday.

The sleeping guards have the same gear that the other guards did. There's no coin in their pockets whatsoever...

The mess hall's fairly devoid of useful things. The kitchen, on the other hand, has a large green cloak hanging from a peg, several knives (count as daggers), a meat cleaver (More or less a handaxe), and all manner of cooking supplies and food. The storeroom contains quite a lot of mundane supplies. Lanterns, lamp oil, torches, guard uniforms, signal horns, rope, and two crates labelled "emergency rations". It's also got a rack of branding irons, each ending in a distinct runic "F" symbol. The mark of Brandescar...

Meanwhile, back in the mess hall, Nana Jodi kills the unconscious guards.

Now what?

Frivolous
2012-11-24, 12:56 AM
Sirin Starshine


After finishing her search, Sirin returns to the kitchen where the other party members interrogate Kelvan the cook.

"I hear two voices in there. Talking about what they want to buy on payday."

Then she begins to strip one of the bodies of the guards Nana Jodi murdered.

Assuming nothing interrupts her, Sirin first puts on a bloodstained chain shirt and the large green cloak, then appropriates a truncheon and 2 more daggers.

Lastly, she looks into the crate to see if there is food in it.

Order of actions
1. Don chain shirt: Takes 1 minute, unfortunately.

2. Put on green cloak.

3. Take truncheon and 2 daggers.

I have many other actions to follow but the above will do for now. Guards might interrupt, or someone might do them first.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-24, 01:37 AM
The "emergency rations" crate does INDEED have food in it. The food is swarming with bugs and rotten.

Nothing interrupts as Sirin pulls on the cloak and armor.

Frivolous
2012-11-24, 12:49 PM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin draws back and makes a face upon seeing the contents of the crates.

"Eeewww. How gross."

She takes a look at the map Kelvan drew, then addresses the old cook.

"These show where the door is. What about windows? Are there any that open to the outside of Brandescar?"

After Kelvan answers, the half-elf asks the others, "Does anyone have any other questions for our dear sweet and very helpful Kelvan?"

Sjurd
2012-11-24, 01:53 PM
Silas looks to the party members, not hearing any further questions. Standing behind the old cook, he pantomimes with his hands to avoid making noise.

Tie up? Put him here? Go?

Strangle?

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-24, 03:20 PM
Kelvan shrugs. "There's arrer slits on the front of the buildin', but they're about four inches wide. All the rest of the windows were plugged up long ago. Sorry."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-24, 03:53 PM
Jodiah happy with her kitchen shiv, walks up to grumble jack, pokes his knee and whispers in his direction "I would very much like you to smack this fool over the head when we're done with him.... don't worry about holding back if you kill him it's of no consequence. The powerful and great Yog Sothoth looks kindly to those who help his disciples in their duties."

Frivolous
2012-11-24, 04:09 PM
Sirin Starshine


The half-elf looks around inquiringly to discern if anyone has any further questions, then she smiles soothingly at Kelvan.

"You are in luck, Master Kelvan. The means by which you may safely prove yourself no danger to us, and thus my colleagues no danger to you, is easily available."

"All you have to do is eat. Eat hearty, and fall asleep like the rest."

The half-elf tactfully avoids reminding anyone that Nana Jodi slit the throats of all the sleeping guards. At least Myra is alive.

She glances at the other escapees to see if they object.

Finkmilkana
2012-11-25, 12:02 AM
"Should we just storm out of the door or has anyone a better idea? Otherwise I would say we should just move fast, breaking through every resistance we encounter and leave through the northern door."
He pauses as if he just remembered something.
Hmm, Kelvan, I have one last question for you: Is the northern door locked or can you just open it from inside? And how to open the gate?"

Angstrom
2012-11-25, 01:53 PM
"First things first, I suggest we deal with those two guards in the hall. Same routine as before."

"Once we leave this keep we loose our advantage. There is only one entrance right? Assuming we can deal with Blackerly and the two hall guards by the time they come in for their meal, we can use the hall to ambush the guards as they come in for their meal. Keeping the fighting contained to the keep means the captain is less likely to hear."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-25, 03:40 PM
Kelvan shrugs at the question. "When I knock on the door every afternoon, they let me in. So I don't know if it's locked or not. Someone's always on duty."

He looks around at the circle of unfriendly faces, sighs, and grabs a skewer of pork. "Mitra please let us wake again..." He seats himself carefully on the floor next to Myra, eats, and after a few minutes his head lolls, slack as he passes out.

SENSE MOTIVE OR HEAL DC 10
Yep, he's unconscious.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-25, 03:43 PM
Sense motive! [roll0] though doesn't matter she is going to stab them anyways :smallbiggrin:

Jodiah watches the man consume the tainted meat and waits for him to drop, after a few brief moments she creeps over towards him, checking to see if he is truly out. Unsure if he was actually unconscious or pretending, Jodiah quietly moves her kitchen knife towards his neck and makes a quick slicing motion across his neck. Satisfied with her work she moves over to the sleeping scullery maid and kneels before her head. Gently Jodiah strokes the woman's hair and whisper lovingly into her "It is a shame that you and I do not have more time together, my master would enjoy getting more acquainted with you... Though this will have to suffice." Saying a brief prayer in an unknown tongue, Joidah sacrifices the woman's soul to her dread god with a swift practiced motion across the neck. She stands wordlessly and looks at the others "I do believe we should finish the museum tour or else we might be locked in when they close! Also I am bringing some of this food along in case we get hungry!" She sliced a large chunk of fabric from the newly dead woman's clothing and selected pieces of the tainted meat which she wrapped up carefully in the cloth.

Frivolous
2012-11-25, 06:24 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin tries to intercept the insane gnome Nana Jodi before she cuts the throats of Kelvan and of Myra.

OOC Don't know if she can, but she'll try to keep Jodi from cuttin gtheir throats.

But she won't try very hard. Sirin is not very invested in their lives.

Try or fail, Sirin murmurs, "There's no need for that."

"They are already old, and even young humans live such brief lives."

"Besides, even living, they are in enough trouble. They might even be accused of conspiring to help us escape. Mitra's law can be so very strict sometimes."

Sense Motive
Sense Motive: [roll0]

She asks Bridget, "How many more times can you put our enemies to sleep?"

"If only one more time, let's save it for a bigger situation. We are armed and armored now, and I think we can deal with just the two guards I heard."

"What if we just knock on the door? When they open the door, stab the opener and kill the other one while he is yet surprised."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-26, 03:45 PM
By the time Sirin moves, Nana Jodi's done with her grisly work. Kelvan and Myra are dead.

Oh well! That'll teach THEM to... Cook food, and... Be afraid of homicidal prisoners. Yeah.

Someday when you're killing angels by the choir and using the shattered husks of paladins as undead servitors you'll look back at this moment and be like, "heh".

Well. Now what?

Sjurd
2012-11-26, 11:12 PM
Silas watches Nana Jodi sacrifice the lowly servants to her dark and inscrutable god. "I sure hope your god notices your efforts, Nana. We could use all the help we can get." As he moves toward the next door, he pauses. "Hold on. I have an idea."

The half-orc moves about the room and drags each corpse, one by one, to the table in the center of the room and seats them in the chairs. When all four are seated, he takes one of the extra kitchen cleavers and places it in the old woman's hand, wrapping her fingers around the handle. Dipping his finger in a pool of blood where Nana Jodi sacrificed their souls, he scrawls, "FORGIVE ME" on the table in front of her. "There," he smiles mischievously, "that should confuse the hell out of them. Let's get going."

Finkmilkana
2012-11-27, 02:23 AM
Marthras looks at the sensless slaughter with visible disdain.
"I just really hope you don't plan to brutaly murder everyone we meet or else I fear this escape wont lead to lasting freedom...
Now let's move on towards the exit. But I would advise against knocking, that would let them get up and expect something, even if it's only the call for dinner. It seems better to charge in while they are in their conversation and maybe even sitting."
He moves towards the door and prepares to go through should the rest follow and have no problem with it.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-27, 09:43 AM
Jodiah raises an eyebrow at the perturbed man "He truly brought it on himself, he prayed to that awful fellow before going unconscious. I merely ensured that there souls went to a much darker place by spurning Mitra; besides, why leave a person alive that could wake suddenly and raise the alarm?" She looks at the macabre scene before her and walks over to the orc to pat him on the leg "What a lovely picture you drew, you get a gold star! I do think our time at this exhibit is at its end shall we proceed down the hallway?"

Frivolous
2012-11-27, 11:24 AM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin looks appalled at the sudden brutal murder of Kelvan and Myra. Then she shrugs indifferently.

"Oh well."

She giggles at how Silas scrawls FORGIVE ME in Myra's blood.

"Oh, that's clever, Silas. And artistic."

She follows after the Marthras, holding her truncheon in one hand and her dagger in the other.

Quietly, she says, "That door probably isn't locked."

After a moment, she adds, "I hope that isn't the door to the lavatory. Walking in on someone doing his duty is absolutely disgusting, though maybe not so much if you plan to kill him."

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-27, 12:23 PM
Marthras opens the door!

You see the northern end of a long hall, with doors on the northwest, southwest, and south walls. Double doors are set into the north end of the hall. Lamps sit in sconces, and a worn rug covers most of the floor.

You have surprised two guards mid-discussion! They look at you with shock, from their position at the double doors...


BEGIN COMBAT
(Standard actions only, then we'll go to rounds.)

Morbis Meh
2012-11-27, 01:05 PM
Jodiah quickly chants causing a ever so slight blue hue to form around a small piece of tainted meat, suddenly it rises up and darts towards the open mouth of one of the unsuspecting guards. "Remember to chew your food dearies!"

This serves two purposes: they may fall asleep and at the very least it will prevent them from speaking out loud... heck maybe they will choke?

Angstrom
2012-11-27, 01:07 PM
Bridget, from her position behind the others, raises a finger to her lips and stares into the eyes of one of the guards. "Relax" she whispers, her voice layered with magical compulsion.

Beguiling Voice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/maestro-bloodline) (bloodline ability): DC15 will save or dazed for one round

Frivolous
2012-11-27, 08:36 PM
Sirin Starshine


As the half-elf rushes into the hall, she hisses at Silas and Grumblejack, "Please help us!"

Sirin tries to place herself between the two guards and the double door.

If that is not possible, she tries to place herself between at least one guard and the big males of the party, intending to flank the guards.

Finkmilkana
2012-11-27, 09:12 PM
Marthras charges at one of the guards, trying to get them out cold as fast as possible.

Partial Charge if in range, otherwise just move in their directon.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Morbis Meh
2012-11-28, 10:01 PM
Variel

The tiefling moves within range of the closest guard, sword drawn and at the ready.
When was the last time griffith posted?

Sjurd
2012-11-28, 10:45 PM
ooc: Sorry! I've had a busy day, and the forum has been periodically unavailable.

Silas rushes forward and brings a powerful overhand chop down on the head of the nearest guard.

longsword power attack w/ charge [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-29, 12:35 PM
Bridget's words soothe and stun one guard, while Nana Jodi... Pelts the other with food? Well, that surprised him, though he doesn't seem interested in consuming the levitating chicken leg at the minute. Meanwhile, Sirin repositions herself to keep the guards from escaping.

The dazed guards is even worse off as Silas and Marthras rush at him. He dodges Marthras' attack, but Silas brings him to one knee with a savage chop! Coughing, he struggles back up, reaching for his sword as he goes...

The guard who's shoving the turkey leg away from his face gets rushed by Variel, followed by an enthusiastic Grumblejack. And perhaps due to some odd whim of fate, perhaps due to the malice of the gods, or perhaps because Variel doesn't stop his rush in time, the guard manages to jerk his sword free and around just as the Tiefling's neck is right in its arc.

Variel falls.

Grumblejack runs the guard through.

The remaining guard, unable to react, is soon clubbed, stabbed, and cut down in a matter of seconds.

And Variel's corpse bleeds onto the rug, as his twitching fingers stop moving.

The hallway is still, as blood drips and pools through the rug.

Frivolous
2012-11-29, 01:12 PM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin makes a face as she steps over the dead body of Variel.

"Ugh. Tiadora is not going to be happy. She wanted all six of us..."

Then she remembers something.

Smiling encouragingly at the ogre, she says, "Good job, Grumblejack. I was really smart and lucky to free you."

She listens at the nearby double door to the north, then goes to each other door (northwest, south and southwest) and listens at each of those doors as well.

Perception
Perception: [roll0]

Perception: [roll1]

Perception: [roll2]

Perception: [roll3]

Frivolous
2012-11-29, 01:16 PM
As she listens at doors, Sirin tries to avoid making much noise, but she has to contend with the chain shirt she is wearing...

Stealth
Stealth: [roll0]

-2 penalty is included in the above roll. Sirin's base Stealth bonus is +7.

Morbis Meh
2012-11-29, 01:19 PM
Jodiah skipped gleefully through the carnage and picked up the fallen piece of chicken, placing it back within the cloth bundle. She looks at the elf and smiles her dazed smile "I do enjoy interactive exhibits... though we should continue lest we miss out on more entertainment!"

Sjurd
2012-11-29, 03:28 PM
Silas steps over the bodies of the guards and the fallen prisoner. He touches a finger to his forehead in salute to the dead elf. "Long as it's not me, friend." He crowds up behind Sirin, gripping his sword tightly.

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-30, 10:54 AM
Sirin hears wind blowing from the space just outside the door to the north. She hears nothing from the south and southwest doors. (The southwest one has a nameplate, BLACKERLY. It matches Kelvan's map.)

The northwest door yields snuffling, and sounds of dogs whining. Yep, kennels.

Frivolous
2012-11-30, 11:42 AM
Sirin Starshine


Sirin points at the door to the northwest and speaks softly.

"Dogs here. The kennels. We might want to throw some of the food in. I think it is a worthwhile risk. Dogs can chase us and track us down."

She points to the door to the north. "I hear wind there. Map says it leads outside to the gate."

She points to the door to the south. "I hear nothing there."

She points to the door to the southwest. "Blackerly's office. But I hear nothing. Maybe he's asleep."

Morbis Meh
2012-11-30, 12:03 PM
Jodiah looks at the elf in mock worry"If we give all of this food to the doggies then how will the poor starving security guards get fed?!?!"

Angstrom
2012-11-30, 12:29 PM
"The dogs are locked up for the time being. I suggest we leave them that way."

Bridget points to Blackerly's office "Shall we take a look in there?"

Would the southern door lead to the cellblock stairs?

Lost Demiurge
2012-11-30, 02:36 PM
Blackerly's office seems to be locked.

If Kelvan's map is correct, the southern door will indeed lead to the stairwell up to the cellblocks.

Frivolous
2012-11-30, 05:27 PM
Sirin Starshine

Sirin remembers something. She starts to feel the folds of the green cloak she took from the kitchen, trying to find if it has any pockets and if the pockets contain anything.

OOC
I doubt that feeling for pockets in a cloak you are wearing requires a Perception check, but just in case it does, here is one:

Perception: [roll0]


She looks surprised at Bridget when the stunningly beautiful human woman asks to enter Blackerly's office.

"You want to go in there? He might be asleep, but he might not be."

Still, she kneels at the door, examines it for traps, and tries to open it with her lockpicks. She suspects that the keyring Marthras carries does not hold a key for this door.

Perception and Disable Device
Perception is +1 to check for traps due to trapfinding.

Perception: [roll1]

Since Disable Device allows rechecks to open locks, I am posting multiple instances of Disable Device rolls just in case the first one fails to get through.

Disable Device: [roll2]

Disable Device: [roll3]

Disable Device: [roll4]

Includes a +2 bonus for using masterwork thieves' tools.

Sjurd
2012-11-30, 11:17 PM
Silas waits patiently as Nana Jodi checks the door. "I'm sure we're all eager to let Blackerly know how much we have appreciated being guests of his hospitality." He tightens his grip, eliciting a rasp from the leather.