PDA

View Full Version : [DFRPG] The Rainy City Book 1: Music Doesn't Lie



Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 10:29 AM
The crowd hushes as the lights in the warmly lit room die down. In the suddenly dark pub, the only thing you can see clearly is the lit stage set up near the entrance. Five very serious young people, four men and a woman, stand on stage with their heads bowed. Well, four boys and a girl, really. You're pretty sure they aren't old enough to order a beer at the bar.

Beverage restrictions notwithstanding, they look ready to do what they came here to do. One guy is going shirtless with a pretty natty black hat, and the kid on the synth board is wearing a ski jacket that would make a Hawaiian shirt weep, but on the whole they dressed downright casually compared to most of the up-and-comers that make it to the Thursday stage. Nary a dog collar or corset in sight. The keytarist whips the cord running from his instrument to the amp out of his way, and takes a few steps up to the mike. “Velcome,” he says in a thick Nordic accent. “Ve are the band Joke from Puberty, and ve are very happy to be here tonight!”These guys
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss317/SteelMirror/JokeFromPuberty1.jpg
when they were this young
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss317/SteelMirror/JokeFromPuberty2.jpg
Apparently satisfied with that introduction, he launches straight into an opening scale, and the band follows him into their first song. It's a pretty rocking original number that uses a lot of synth and a full six keyboards (plus the keytar!), and their singer has a clear, atmospheric voice that draws you in from the first note. You can see people smiling and bobbing their heads to the music as the band finishes their first song and starts into the next.

It's a good crowd, even for a Thursday night. O'Reilly's is never hurting for business, but if these weekly battle of the bands get any more popular they'll have to knock down a wall to accommodate all the guests. The booths are all taken, some of them stuffed so full that the people on the edges aren't sitting so much as leaning against the next person on the bench and trying not to fall over. Every chair and stool has a butt planted firmly on it, and most of the tables have people leaning or sitting on them, too. Even with all that there is still a gaggle of standing people clustered around the stage, mostly a group of dedicated and boisterous fans that rotates in and out as different bands get their turn to play.http://rainycity.wdfiles.com/local--files/wiki%3Ao-reilly-s/O%27Reilly%27s.jpg
But really crowded.
At the bar, Old Man O'Reilly certainly looks happy with the situation. Of course, he almost always looks happy. Right now he's topping off a fleet of mugs for some customers who realized that the line for refills is shortest while the music is playing. He deftly fills four huge glasses at once, clenching the handles in one massive hand while he works the taps with the other, and whispers a joke to his appreciative customers before turning to help the next group.

As Joke from Puberty finishes up their set, the servers begin moving around to tables to pick up used dishes and take new orders. A group of them stagger out of the kitchen under a load of Irish stew, burgers and chips, and a heaping plate (almost a trough, really) of O'Reilly's Irish nachos, which they bear over to a double table of Duwamish teenagers celebrating a birthday. Several of the guys are trying to catch the attention of three woman at the next table over from a band called Muffin Addiction that already played their set. From what you hear the trio are actually scions of an asura who came through the city a couple of decades back, so you're not sure if the young men should be upset or relieved that the ladies don't seem interested.

They're not the only not-quite people in the audience tonight. At the table furthest from any lights, a group of phooka chatter over a plate of kidney pie, their half-assed glamer fooling only the most trusting or unobservant of mortals. Fortunately, given the amount of alcohol consumed in the pub tonight, most of the mortals in the room are feeling rather unobservant, and the rest are clued in to one extent or another. In another corner sits a man with swirling tattoos over his entire face, smoking a ridiculously long pipe which looks like it's carved from an antelope horn. A woman with long, feathery hair (or maybe those are just feathers) reaching past her knees sways her way to the lavatory, catching an appreciative stare from the pub's bouncer, a half goblin (on his mother's side no less) named Liam. Elsewhere are changelings, fae, deva, seers, and minor talents of all stripes and affiliations. Just another night at O'Reilly's.

The eccentric group of customers applaud wildly as the band plays their last note, and the happy roar of jokes, gossip, laughter, and musical discussion once again fills the establishment as the lights in the pub come back up. In another place and another time, members of this group would be mortal enemies, or predators and prey. For tonight, at least, they are united in their appreciation of fun music, good food, and the most welcoming atmosphere this side of the Atlantic. The spirit of the moment is well summed up by the banners decking three of the pub's walls as well as the outside of the building: “Let Your Freak Flag Fly” it says, next to a green and black litho print of Jimi Hendrix. “Every Thursday Night Battle of Seattle: The Best of the Underground”.

With people once again moving around, you shake yourself out of your reverie and snap back into the moment.


Connor is sitting at the bar with Kim. Despite the packed pub, a deferential circle of relatively open space surrounds them, giving the two a modicum of privacy. Connor would like to think that this is a respectful gesture in deference to his service on the SPD (and beyond), as well as the fact that he helps run the pub in his off time and knows every regular customer the joint has, but he is smarter than that. The circle is out of sheer awe for his dining companion and good friend Kim, headliner of Gumiho and presumed winner of tonight's Battle.
Kim claps along with everyone else as Joke from Puberty steps off the stage. Even though she is playing later tonight, she wouldn't think of treating anyone from a competing band rudely or disrespectfully. It's part of her philosophy in life. “What you sow in words and deeds, you reap again thrice in time.”

So she applauds louder than anyone and smiles wide and cheerfully – even though you know that this time it's an act. She's worried, as worried as you've ever seen her. She just doesn't want the whole crowd to see.

She sits back down after a few moments and turns her eyes back to her half-empty beer. It's only her second of the night. For most women her size that wouldn't be a big deal, either, but once again you know her better than that. She can drink any one of the cooks and servers in the place under the table, and they are good sons and daughters of Ireland all. For her to leave a beer undrunk and going flat for half the night? Well. It's about time you asked her what she wanted to talk to you about.


Andrew was hoping to reconnect with his town tonight, and so far he feels pretty good. The music is good, the hospitality is good. (He was always treated well in the Winter Court, but coldly. Unsurprisingly. But it's warm here, and he forgot how to even miss that during his time with the sidhe.) He recognizes a few of his allies from the fight against that sorcerer a month or so ago, and wonders if he should go up to them and say hello. They've been through a life-or-death city-threatening experience together, after all. Surely that means they've gotten to the “share a drink” phase of the friendship?
You recognize some of the guys at the Duwamish birthday party table. Your mentor, Stuart Ashleaf, tried in general to keep you away from the young werewolves that enforce Seattle's supernatural peace. “Too much temptation for young, foolish men” he told you, and he was probably right. You remember what you saw in Tyler's mind, and -

You cut off that line of thought with a shiver. Tonight isn't the time or the place. Unfortunately, one of the guys at the table notices you. It's Ray Williams, one of Stuart's apprentices and once your friend, until he found out about your alleged “crime”. He's here with Samantha Hunt, and from the way she is draped over his shoulders you guess that he finally convinced her to go out with him. He's filled out a lot since you last saw him. He looks trim and fit and confident, not the awkward kid going through a growth spurt that you joked with in the good old days. You get the feeling that what they are really celebrating is not a birthday, and judging from the fresh scars around the “birthday boy's” throat and face, you would guess that a new werewolf is joining the pack.

Ray's eyes narrow as he meets your gaze. Should you try and talk to him, get him to listen to what really happened? This might be a good place, since violence is forbidden by the Shadow Court in O'Reilly's, and the Duwamish respect that decree. Or maybe you should drop the issue, and meet up with one of your friends who is also here tonight and try to forge some bonds with the movers and shakers of the city. That is your job, after all.

With the tables all full, Zhao Yin and Kara end up sort of loitering near the plushy chairs and sofas next to the fireplace. The ebb and flow of energies and tensions in the place is enough to give Yin a small headache, but she doesn't want to tell Kara, who would either be overly concerned or take it as evidence that something dastardly was afoot, which she and Yin should naturally have to investigate. So the two of them stay together, enduring the occasional pickup attempt from guys (and the woman with the feathery hair) as they try to enjoy the music.
”OK, I think that the guy with the hat and no shirt was a werewolf,” Kara declares. She has been doing this with every band, ever since she learned that O'Reilly's was a gathering place for all the strange things from Seattle's music scene. (Just like the Mos Eisley cantina!)

“I mean, werewolves always go around without shirts. I guess because they rip so easily when you transform, so it makes sense if you think about it. But then why would he wear such tight jeans?” She gets a thoughtful expression. “I mean, besides the obvious!” She had started at the beginning of the night whispering these theories, but about a dozen Shirley Temples later she has gone back to her normal inside voice, which is about the level that most people use when informing you that you just closed the car door on their fingers, and could you please see about fixing that maybe soon.

You glance around to see who can hear her talking. The supernatural thing is still supposed to be a secret, after all, even if in a place like this it is a rather open secret. You're not sure of the proprieties in this establishment though, and you don't want to cause a ruckus by discussing the wrong topic. “What? You know what I'm talking about,” Kara says, misreading the reason for your discomfort. “He had a totally nice ass! I mean phat, with a P H! You could bounce quarter to the moon off dat ass!” Then she dissolves into giggles.

You feel heat rising in your cheeks as your face turns bright red, a racial hazard that years of Taoist self-mastery has failed to mitigate. You're pretty sure that the entire pub heard that, and the whole group that helped you take down the sorcerer a few weeks ago is here. Why did you come here tonight, again? Maybe you should have gone on patrol like your mother suggested. To Canada. For a month.

Know your exits. Your training comes back to you. Glancing around, you see two of the guys who just performed making their way through the crowd to you. Further away, near the bar, you see Detective O'Reilly talking with a woman whose face you can't see. And sitting by himself on the other side of the room is a Andrew, that magical adept who helped out against Melchizedek. Any one of those would probably be distraction enough to get Kara to stop embarrassing you to death. Well maybe. There's no telling what she might say to them, of course.

If there is one man in Seattle who is recognized and respected in both the mundane and supernatural communities, it is Victor Price, attorney at law. Most of the city knows him as a genius prodigy defense lawyer, head of his own law firm younger than any other practicing lawyer in the state has passed the Bar and one of the most eligible bachelors in the known universe. In occult circles he is known as Emissary of the Lady of the Rains, counselor of the Shadow Court, and the human embodiment of forces in the city with which a wise man does not F**k. None of those people would expect to see him in a packed Pioneer square pub, watching an Icelandic indie band wail on a keytar.
It's hard to really cut loose, these days. Everyone in the pub seems to know who you are, and they give you a wide berth. When you chat with people waiting for their drinks they are deferential rather than friendly, and polite rather than warm. You feel like you've lost an essential connection to the world ever since you became the Emissary (and you still feel like you have a lot to learn about just what that means). Every waking moment has been studying finances and case histories, brushing up on important clients and their special (often very special, given the kind of clients you have) needs. Not to mention the constant work in monitoring the city and preparing weekly briefs for the Lady about the state of the supernatural community, including possible threats and opportunities. Your secretary handles a lot of that work, but it's still a tremendous drain.

The only person who really treats you normally is your bartender, Patrick O'Reilly himself. He's talking as he fills up another set of tall glasses, and finishing up a story about his brother, a leprechaun, a beautiful maiden who could turn into a goat (not as far -fetched as you would have thought a year ago), and a very confused normal goat who could do no such thing. When he gets to the punchline you snort in the middle of taking a drink, and do a spit-take all over your casual blazer and the shiny mahogany bar. With a twinkle in his eye and a deft pass of a towel, Patrick cleans up the mess and clinks his mug with yours. “To our wives and girlfriends, my man.” He grins and winks at you. “May never they meet!” Then he laughs, and you can't help but laugh with him, and the two of you take another deep gulp of the nectar of the Irish.

One stool down, oddly situated in a bubble of open space despite the packed bar everywhere else, sits Detective Connor O'Reilly and an attractive young Asian woman who is all dressed up. You don't want to interfere, but with your mood buoyed from that chat with Patrick and your nerve strengthened by that last drink, you wonder if you should go over and chat with the good detective. You did save each other's lives a few weeks ago, after all. Maybe you should buy him a drink.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 11:26 AM
A light blush came to the cheeks of the Defender of Chinatown when she found herself being hit on by another woman. A long haired, feathery, woman, in fact, "Uh.. I'm flattered. Really. It's just.. I don't.. swing that way? Sorry."

O'Reilly's was a surreal place even at the best of times, and it took her a few moments to regain her vigilant posture and mindset. Trained warrior eyes scanned the room, experience and instruction in the ancient ways keeping her on her toes, looking for possible threats and.. Irish nachos. Yin was brought out of her attempts at serious thought by her stomach letting out a loud growl of protest. How long had it been since she'd had meat? Turning her attention downward, the young holy warrior of Chinatown glared at her tummy and simply said, "Silence."

Her stomach obeyed.

From there, she was able to turn her attention back to her dearest childhood friend who was currently embarrassing her in every way. It couldn't possibly get any worse unless her mother suddenly burst through the door and started showing everyone her baby pictures. Within the presence of a thoroughly unabashed Kara, she asked herself why she had even come here. Admittedly, patrolling wasn't exactly glamorous either, but at least she was good at it. Social interactions were a different beast altogether.

Rubbing the bridge of her nose briefly, her head pounding. The loud music certainly wasn't helping either. She had nothing against it, obviously, but she wasn't exactly in the right mindset to listen to music all night, " I wouldn't know. You could always ask a little louder, though? I'm not sure the entire room heard you yet."

Looking over the crowd again, she made note of some of the familiar faces, previous allies of convenience against Melchizedek. But they looked busy enough as it was, and so her attention turned back to the two men that seemed to be approaching Yin and her boisterous friend. Hungry, embarrassed, head ready to explode, Zhao Yin, Protector of Chinatown, Taoist Warrior, Blessed By The Gods, crossed her arms, sighed, and prepared herself for another lame pick-up line.

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 11:44 AM
Kara smiles even wider at Yin's dry reproof. "Come on, girl!" Yin recognizes that smile. Kara is in full-on tease mode, probably enjoying the rare circumstance of being more at ease in a situation than her serious, capable companion. "You might be a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean you couldn't try a little white meat!" She looks ready to go on at length, but at least she's pitched her voice a bit lower. Now only the people nearby can hear, rather than the entire bar.

Unfortunately, "the people nearby" include the two men approaching from Kara's back, one of which is the young man with "dat ass".

"You could wave his hat and ride him like a cowboy," Kara continues, oblivious. She swings an imaginary lasso in the air and lets out a whoop. The guy in question raises an eyebrow and meets your eyes with an easy grin.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 12:02 PM
She closed her eyes in abject humiliation, letting out a slow sigh in response to her friend's comment, "Please don't call it white meat."

Trying her best to respect her friend's wishes, she relaxed a little, looking around the bar again and noticing the behatted young man with the apparently 'phat ass'. He smiled to her and she found herself smiling back, offering a little wave in return as he approaches. Reaching over, she taps Kara's shoulder to pull her from her reverie, turning her to see who has been in the presence of her.. dancing.

As usual, Yin found herself dreading social activity, and so she hoped Kara would back her up here. How did people ever date, anyway? To her, it always seemed like the first thing you say was always going to sound silly. She guessed there was a reason they called it the 'dating game', she just would've liked it if someone had bothered to let her in on the rules.

"Um, hello. Your song was very nice."

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 12:20 PM
Kara lets out an eeeep, like a mouse whose tail has just been tread on, and shuts her mouth tight. She takes an involuntary little step to Yin's side and slightly behind, leaving Yin feeling acutely exposed to the two young men standing before her.

The guy in the hat (he has a button-up shirt on now) reaches up to tip his hat to the embarrassed young women. "I'm glad that you liked it," he says with only a trace of the accent that their keytar player had displayed. "Hopefully the rest of the crowd agrees, we could always use the money! But I get the feeling that what everyone is really waiting for happens later tonight." He gestures toward the huge chalkboard above the bar, where the two bands that have yet to play are at the bottom of the list of performers in tonight's battle: "Kettlebug" and "Gumiho".

He laughs in a way that somehow simultaneously displays confidence and self-deprecation. Behind, his friend frowns at the chalkboard.

"But where are my manners? My name is Andro, this is Rolf. And if we don't place tonight, at least we got to meet two charming young ladies. I admit I hadn't expected to meet any . . . fans, tonight." He looks at Kara with another grin. She lets out another choking sound and clutches Yin's arm.

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 12:22 PM
Resting in his stool Connor took in O'Reilly's with all of his senses. The smell of roasting meat and delicious nachos wafting out from the kitchens and the nearby tables. The comforting solidity of the stool beneath him. The sea of people of all shapes and sizes, literally. The tide of music rushing across the room. The taste of his fathers best beer running down his throat. Connor relished in them all. O'Reilly's was his home, it had been for nearly as long as he could remember, and the crappy little apartment where he rested his head between jobs had never truly compared. There was no place in the world he would rather be and no one else in the world he would rather be with. Which made it all the more annoying that he couldn't enjoy it.

Sitting next to him was a person as familiar and reassuring to him as the old pub. Or at least she should have been reassuring. Connor knew every line of Kim's face just as well as he knew the pub, both better than the back of his hand. Sure she was cheering the other bands just like she always did. But there was something about the way she held herself, a subtle difference in his posture and eyes, that screamed to Connor that something was wrong. If Connor hadn't known Kim for the majority of his life and been trained to pick up on such things he probably wouldn't have noticed. Her untouched beer was a much less subtle indicator.

Something had Kim worried and that riled up all manner of emotions inside him. Sympathy, and a desire to protect Kim from whatever was the cause of her anxiety. A deep throbbing anger that someone or something would dare ruin his night out with Kim. A noxious anxiety as one of the pillars of his life started to show strain before his eyes. Beneath and rooted throughout all of these emotions was a quiet dread and the memory of a bloody scene years ago in Ireland.

Taking a few deep breaths and clenching his silver right hand into a fist Connor brought his emotions under control. Putting on his best facsimile of his father's reassuring smile Connor turned to his dearest and closest friend and said with a quiet and calm voice. "Kim, why did you ask me here tonight? You've been on edge the entire night and you've hardly touched your beer. You know you can talk to me if there is something bothering you."

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 12:38 PM
"A pleasure to meet you both. I'm Yin and this is my friend Kara. You know, she was just talking about you!" She grinned, taking hold of Kara and slowly sliding her closer towards the two young men, even as she glanced towards the chalkboard. Despite not sharing the same interest in the underground music scene as her now silent companion, even she had heard of Gumiho. Apparently they were 'down with the kids', hip and mod and all of that good stuff.

Of course, Yin was quick to turn her attention back to this conversation, relishing in the chance to give Kara a taste of her own medicine. Wrapping her arm around her friend, she looked to her curiously, "So, what was it you were saying about Andro here? I think you were complimenting him on his jeans? Or something about his jeans? Sorry, its sometimes hard to hear in here with so many people."

She couldn't help but blush at the compliment, nodding to the two men, "Thanks. Though, I'm not sure I could call myself a fan. This is the first time I've heard your music, after all. Though I've got to ask.. why that name for your band?"

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 12:42 PM
"Kim, why did you ask me here tonight? You've been on edge the entire night and you've hardly touched your beer. You know you can talk to me if there is something bothering you."

Kim smiles halfheartedly at Connor and puts her hand on his in gratitude. "I'm that obvious. Well, trust an Irishman to notice when a beer goes unattended."

She takes in a deep breath, collecting her thoughts. "I don't want you to overreact, this could be nothing. Maybe I'm just freaking out for no reason. But I've got a bad feeling about this, and you're the best person I know to help." She smiles, not cheerfully, but at least more genuinely. Then the moment passes and a shadow falls across her features once more. "And there is always the chance that there is something very wrong happening."

"About a week ago this band called Quarterblack stopped showing up to their gigs. They had a bunch booked, too, and at good venues. Nobody I've talked to has any idea what happened to them. I get the idea that they were kind of flaky, and I only knew one of them from Unlock." Unlock is her weekly support and idea exchange group, which meets at the downtown library. "Still, they were just starting to make it, and it doesn't make sense for them to just disappear like that."

"Then a few days ago, my friend Hannah went missing. She plays street corners and open mike nights, usually, but she told me three nights ago that she had just signed on to something more permanent, and that's the last I heard from her. She doesn't answer her phone, and her apartment is empty. Or at least nobody came to the door when I stopped by, and the mail is piling up. There's a guy who plays guitar while she sings, and I haven't seen him on his street corner since then, either."

She lets out a breath, more frustrated than worried, and clenches her hand around the beer. "Nobody cares, because they haven't been gone for long and they don't have much in the way of family. They also . . . " She looks furtively around and leans in close. "They are also all from our side of Seattle. A little spooky. So the police might not be able to do much, even if they were interested."

She leans back and finishes her drink. "I figured our resident consul-detective-prince of Ireland might be able to do a little more digging than helpless little me." Her words are light, but the glint in her eye is very serious.

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 12:55 PM
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"So, what was it you were saying about Andro here? I think you were complimenting him on his jeans? Or something about his jeans? Sorry, its sometimes hard to hear in here with so many people."
"No . . . Just . . . nice hat." Kara's back is stiff as a training post, and her hand squeezes out a staccato rhythm against Yin's wrist. She doesn't normally understand Morse code, but the meaning of that message is pretty clear: you will pay dearly for this!


"Thanks. Though, I'm not sure I could call myself a fan. This is the first time I've heard your music, after all. Though I've got to ask.. why that name for your band?"

Andro laughs and puts his arm around Rolf in a mirror of Yin and Kara. "It's because of this guy. When we were little, he said he was going to be the next Michael Jackson. He practiced all his dance moves and knew his songs even before he spoke English. But his dad wanted him to be a big time politician, like him. So he had to listen to music with me, in secret, and we said we would become huge rock stars!" Rolf squirms his way out of Andro's grip, but Andro goes on.

"Then we met again after going away to school, and it turns out we did start our own band! But we aren't very much like Michael Jackson. Still, the band started as a joke from when we were kids!"

"Plus," Rolf adds, pronouncing the word to rhyme with "moose". "Anything in English sounds good as band name in Iceland." Andro laughs in agreement with that and Rolf cracks his first smile.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 01:08 PM
"His hat? Hmm, no, I could've sworn you said something about his jeans," Yin chuckles, though whether its because of Andro and Rolf's story or if it is because of Kara's promise of vengeance its hard to say, "Admittedly, I've never been a huge music person. I listen to music, of course, but.. I just listen to what I like, I suppose. I've never given much thought to why I like it, though."

She smiled demurely to both men, glancing around again, "Well, I'd ask you to have a drink with us, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to sit. Plus, there's still a few bands left to play and I'd hate to shout over them."

Feeling unusually bold tonight, perhaps invigorated by Kara's own shyness, she grabbed a napkin from the bar and jotted her number down on it, offering it to Andro. She could hardly believe she was doing it herself, but that little voice in the back of her head reminded her that her 'job' didn't have to be her whole life. This guy was cute, she liked him well enough, why not give it a shot and see what happened?

"Kara and I live together, so.. if you ever feel like getting in touch, with either of us, just give it a call."

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 01:15 PM
Connor smiles at Kim's quip, the warmth of her hand on his comforting even through the slight distortion of his metallic arm's sense of touch. His smile dissolving into a solemn mask when Kim explains her worries.

Missing persons cases were a real nasty business. Mere hours could be the difference between life and death, or nothing at all could be wrong and you work yourself to death because Mrs. Jones took an impromptu vacation without telling anyone. The fact that the victims were supernatural just made things worse, it meant he wouldn't be able to use police resources.

With a sigh he pulled out his notebook and said. "Okay, it's probably nothing. But in case it isn't I'm gonna need to know everything you know about these people. Full names, addresses, friends and family, the works." With a grimace he added. "I'm afraid I'm gonna have to miss your performance. You understand, right?" Connor's tone was more than a little pleading. There was nothing he would rather do than be here supporting Kim. But if that hesitation cost someone their lives he wasn't sure he could live with himself, and the thought of disappointing Kim was almost as bad.

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 01:16 PM
"Admittedly, I've never been a huge music person. I listen to music, of course, but.. I just listen to what I like, I suppose. I've never given much thought to why I like it, though."

"Well, I'd ask you to have a drink with us, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to sit. Plus, there's still a few bands left to play and I'd hate to shout over them."

"Kara and I live together, so.. if you ever feel like getting in touch, with either of us, just give it a call."

Andro's eyes get a little wider at the proffered napkin, but he recovers smoothly. "We all like what we like," he says, looking into Yin's eyes. "Really I think we don't need any better reason than that." He takes the napkin as he talks. His words and expression are absolutely confident as he does so, but his hands take the scrap of paper gingerly and he carefully folds it into his pocket, as though it might break apart at the slightest gust of wind.

Kara's jaw is dropped wide open, and she looks at Yin with an astonished mix of disbelief, confusion, and a hint of admiration.

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 01:28 PM
"Okay, it's probably nothing. But in case it isn't I'm gonna need to know everything you know about these people. Full names, addresses, friends and family, the works." With a grimace he added. "I'm afraid I'm gonna have to miss your performance. You understand, right?"

Kim nods tersely, in understanding and in gratitude at once. She gives the names that she knows for the band, and admits that she has no idea where they live. She might be able to ask Dana, the head of Unlock, though. Since Quarterblack's singer went to the weekly meetup, Dana probably has at least her info on file.

Hannah lives near downtown, just east of highway 5 in the bluffs overlooking the Sound. Connor knows the neighborhood, it's not the best, but there are much worse. Hannah's guitarist lives in Undertown, though, and Kim doesn't know where. That one could be trickier to track down.


There was nothing he would rather do than be here supporting Kim. But if that hesitation cost someone there lives he wasn't sure he could live with himself, and the thought of disappointing Kim was almost as bad.
As Kim finishes supplying the details that Connor needs to get to work, Old Man O'Reilly comes up to them on the other side of the bar. "Sorry to drop this on you on such short notice, love," he says in his lilting accent. "But it looks like Kettlebug won't be making it tonight. I haven't heard from 'em all day, and none of them have showed up or are answering their phones. You think you kids could move your performance up a few minutes?"

OOCAnd that counts as our first compel of the game! Connor, take 1 FP for a compel against your Trouble, "Righteous Fury". Connor wants to be able to support Kim, but his feeling of justice and responsibility hold him back. Plus, he is about to involve himself in a potentially troublesome situation, for no benefit to himself. Use that FP wisely! :smallbiggrin:

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 01:35 PM
Yin smirked, doing her best to suppress her natural urge to blush as she eyed Andro, "Okay, you're smooth."

"If you'll excuse us?" She offered the two men another smile, taking hold of Kara's wrist and working her way through the crowd toward the bathroom. Once she felt as though she was out of sight of the pair, she breathed a sigh of relief and turned to face her friend, seeming rather uncertain now.

"Was that a good idea? I'm not sure. I've.. never actually done anything like that. I mean, it didn't even faze him, you know? He probably gets numbers from lots of girls. He only came over because you were talking about his ass. I need a drink."

Her mind in a nervous whirl mixed with a headache, Yin navigated through the throng again to reach the bar, looking to Connor's father, "Tea. Please?"

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 01:44 PM
Yin smirked, doing her best to suppress her natural urge to blush as she eyed Andro, "Okay, you're smooth."
Andro keeps smiling, and Rolf rolls his eyes as he steers his behatted friend with the handsome ass away. "He really doesn't need anyone telling him that," he says.



"Was that a good idea? I'm not sure. I've.. never actually done anything like that. I mean, it didn't even faze him, you know? He probably gets numbers from lots of girls. He only came over because you were talking about his ass. I need a drink."
Kara can only marvel at their reversed positions as her friend chatters happily (and nervously) while the two of them make their way to the bar. On her face the war for her emotional state is clear: legions of disbelief clash with a division of admiration and envy, while a bastion of defenders who want to tease Yin about her new-found social daring mount a gallant defense.

When Yin finally quiets down to order her drink, Kara remains silent for a moment, then finally lets out a burst of emotion in a high pitched squee of joy. "Oh my god your kids are going to be so cute! I wonder if werewolf daddies have puppies."


Her mind in a nervous whirl mixed with a headache, Yin navigated through the throng again to reach the bar, looking to Connor's father, "Tea. Please?"
"Right you are, lass," the old man agrees. He starts to move to the other side of the bar to where he keeps the tea, but slows when he sees the serious look in his son's eyes.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 01:54 PM
The squee nearly makes Yin jump in surprise, and she looks to her friend with shock, "Puppies? I don't want to have puppies! Its too early to even be talking about puppies! Besides, you don't even know he's a.." She glanced around the bar before turning her attention back to Kara, "..a Dog Person."

She nods thankfully to Old Man O'Reilly, watching him begin to head for the tea. When he slows, Yin makes note of it, following the man's gaze to his son. Something seemed to be bothering Connor. It was possible he was just having a bad night, having to juggle the responsibilities he did could do that to a man. But anything that took her mind off puppies was worth investigating further. With that in mind, she made her way down the bar towards the man, speaking conspiratorially, "Connor, is something going on?"

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 03:11 PM
"Connor, is something going on?"

Connor's companion, a young woman wearing a very expensive looking dress, looks over as you ask the question. "Oh, we haven't met. I'm Kim Sung." She smiles and offers you her hand. "Nice to meet you."

OOCAnd now we can roll our first dice. Alertness to see if you notice anything unusual about Kim.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 03:19 PM
Yin looked around Connor at the woman he was with, returning the smile and taking the offered hand, giving it a firm shake, "Nice to meet you too, Kim. I'm Zhao Yin. Oh, and this is my friend, Kara Mulrooney."

Alertness Roll: [roll0] + 2 = 3

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 03:31 PM
"Nice to meet you too, Kim. I'm Zhao Yin. Oh, and this is my friend, Kara Mulrooney."


Her smile falters for a moment. "Zhao Yin, is it?" She puts a slight emphasis on the first part of the name. "Any relation to the Zhao family that owns a restaurant in Chinatown?"

She withdraws her hand as soon as it is polite and leans unconsciously toward Connor. There is something off about her, Yin can feel it. Not that such a thing surprises her much, given the company around her. But combined with her reaction to the Zhao name, it's enough to make the demon hunter in Yin take notice.

"I love that restaurant!" Kim says, somewhat unconvincingly.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-10-31, 03:39 PM
Victor walks up to conner, a whiskey in hand.
"Hello detective. How are you feeling? I brought a gift" he says, as he sets the glass in front of the Irishman, pulling up a chair.
"And who are these three lovely ladies?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 03:44 PM
"Yes, my mother owns the Dancing Dragon."

Yin's eyebrow rose in confusion at the other woman's reaction. She crossed her arms, looking at her more closely now, trying to figure out just what it was about this woman that was rubbing her the wrong way. Still, she offered Kim a forgiving smile. After all, if she was friends with Connor, she couldn't be all bad, despite what her 'demon hunter senses' were telling her.

"Well, if you got served some bad food, I'm sure I can get you a free meal or something."

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 03:50 PM
Connor had been furiously going through his notes on the new case. With a sigh he sets the notebook down. "I guess it falls to me to make introductions. Kim this is Victor Price, he's a lawyer, but he's not all bad. Victor this is Kim Sung, you might have heard of her band Gumiho, and I believe you have already met Yin. I'm afraid I don't know the redhead." Turning to Kara, Connor smiles and proffers his right hand. "Connor O'Reilly, nice to meet you...Kara was it?"

With introductions out of the way he turns to Victor and smiling wanly says. "I'm afraid I'll have to take a rain-check, I've got a case, and I'm afraid it can't wait."

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 03:52 PM
"Well, if you got served some bad food, I'm sure I can get you a free meal or something."

"Oh no, it really was great. I'm sorry, I'm just . . . not myself right now." She looks at Connor, then at the new member of the little gathering (still surrounded by a bubble of respectful open space).

"Do you think I should try to call Kettlebug? I know them too. They were really excited about tonight, and I don't think they would miss it." She bites her lip in worry, too concerned to bother hiding it from the assembled group.

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 04:02 PM
"Good idea. We don't know if it's related, but better safe than sorry." Standing up from his stool Connor stretches out, the silver of his arm briefly poking out between the glove and his sleeve. Turning to the assembled group Connor frowns slightly and says. "I'm sorry to run out on you guys like this, but time really is of the essence." His apology made Connor turns toward the exit. "Kim, call me when you learn something about Kettlebug."

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 04:05 PM
Yin offered a small nod in response to Kim, respecting her privacy given that she wasn't laughing maniacally or wringing her hands menacingly or eating babies in front of her.

Turning her attention to the lawyer, she smiled, offering him her hand to shake if he so desired, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Price."

Then she looked to Kara who was positively geeking out behind her, shrugging and seeming perhaps just a tad confused by all the hubbub, "Oh, she's the singer? Do you want me to get her autograph for you or something?"

Of course, her attention seemed to be all over the place tonight as her focus was next directed towards Connor who was already leaving, "Well.. if you need help, you know where to find me."

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 04:14 PM
Connor stands up and excuses himself, and Kim stands as well. As the brawny detective prepares to force his way through the crowd and to the entrance, a tan young man in a leather jacket emblazoned with tribal symbols slips into the open space in front of him. "Hey, bro, shoulda known that you'd have our leading lady all to yourself!"

He smiles at Connor, then looks over to Kim. "Change of plans, don't know if the boss told you but we're up in a few minutes. Gonna need you up on the stage to help set up the equipment!"

Victor isn't sure what is going on, but if it has Detective O'Reilly this concerned than it may be something he should look into. The Lady doesn't enjoy being surprised by occurrences in her city. Too bad; the long haired guy who just showed up is the guy who his last girlfriend left him for. He doesn't look like much.

And the night had been going so pleasantly.

Bunny of Faith
2012-10-31, 04:34 PM
Andrew gives a small sigh before looking away from Ray, not wanting to approach the group of Duwamish when they were clearly enjoying their evening - besides which, they rather significantly outnumbered him and nothing stopped them from coming after him once he had left for the night. He glanced about the place before he caught sight of a number of his previous companions over at the bar, walking over to them with a smile.

"Nice to see somebody I actually recognise. Is everyone enjoying themselves?" he says, his smile turning to a frown as he realises that he left his drink behind.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-10-31, 04:36 PM
Victor looks at the man, considering wether fighting hime would be a good idea. After a minute, he decided against it. After all, how would it look to his clients if their defense attorney got arrested for engaging in a pub brawl, whether it was an irish pub or not.
"hmm, it too bad. Guess I'll have to enjoy this whiskey by myself then. but hey, if you need me, you have my personal number." he says to Conner, before turning to the young asian girl and shaking her hand, and bowing his head slightly "It is a pleasure to meet you Zhao Yin"
He then looks at the redheaded girl next to Zhao "Hello, uh, Kara. I'm Victor, attorney at law"

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 04:39 PM
Yin turned her attention from Connor and Kim when Andrew approached, smiling just a bit to him. The man had been among those who had helped in protecting the city from an insane necromancer, but she knew very little about him. He just came across as.. cold. She turned briefly to take her cup of tea, sipping lightly from the cup and glad to have something even if there wasn't a drop of alcohol in it, "As much as can be expected. What about you? Enjoying yourself?"

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 04:46 PM
"Hello, uh, Kara. I'm Victor, attorney at law"

Looking bewildered by the sudden flurry of activity going on around her, Kara brightens up at this introduction. "Wow, nice to meet you! I'm a, uh, well I go to school at the University. And if you don't have anyone to drink that whiskey with you, I wouldn't mind giving you a hand!"

OOC YinKara might be letting all the attention and high company get to her head. Despite the fact that she's too young to drink, that won't stop her from giving it a try here. And Yin isn't sure what a tipsy Kara would be like-possibly crazier than a sober one? It hardly seems possible.

Bunny of Faith
2012-10-31, 04:53 PM
Andrew nods at Yin, "About the same, really. I'm mostly just happy to be here, it's a nice place." He blinks as he hears Kara speak, "Somebody's enjoying themselves at least!" he laughs.

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 04:53 PM
Flatly ignoring the young drummer Connor turns to Yin and Victor saying. "It's probably gonna be pretty boring, but if you want to come I'm not gonna turn away back up. You never know when things will get significantly more interesting."

Connor grimaced when he sees Andrew come over. The young boy had risked life and limb to stop the necromancer and deserved more respect than to be just walked out on. But there was no choice, innocent lives could be on the line. After making a vague apology for leaving Connor once more headed for the exit.

With Kim following along beside him he has no troubles making his way through the crowd as people rush to make room for Kim. It's pleasant those few moments it takes to make it to the exit, just him and Kim. Then it ends and Kim wishes him luck before heading to the stage. Connor spends one long wistful moment watching his best friend walk away before nodding to Liam and making his way out of the pub.

It wasn't pleasant going from the warm embrace of his home and friends to the cold rainy night of Seattle, but there was no choice. He had a job to do.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 04:54 PM
Defender of Chinatown and Enemy to Underage Drinkers, Yin chuckles at Kara's comment, patting her on the shoulder, "If by 'giving him a hand' you mean pouring his drinks, by all means, bud." Her attention quickly shifted back to Victor as she wrapped her arm around her redheaded companion, "My friend is just a few years shy of the legal drinking age, you see, but I'm sure it just.. slipped her mind."

She grinned as she looked at Kara with the Judgemental Eyes she had gained from her mother, "Didn't it, Kara?"

James_Sure_Woul
2012-10-31, 04:57 PM
Victor chuckles
"Don't worry. I wasn't going to give your friend any alcohol. I may be the youngest Attorney in the city, but that doesn't I was born yesterday"

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 05:10 PM
She grinned as she looked at Kara with the Judgemental Eyes she had gained from her mother, "Didn't it, Kara?"


Victor chuckles
"Don't worry. I wasn't going to give your friend any alcohol. I may be the youngest Attorney in the city, but that doesn't I was born yesterday"

Kara adopts a look of aggrieved patience, and shakes her head sadly. "Alas. I'm old enough to join the military and lose my leg in Afghanistan during an ambush, only to be sent back to America to receive poor service from the VA and indifference from public who are more interested in the latest iteration of "Who wants to be the next President?: the reality TV show" than the wars being fought in their name, and finally to be denied medical marijuana that could ease my tortured body and soul, the criminalization of which I pay for because I am old enough to pay taxes -" she takes a breath. "But I'm not old enough to share a friendly drink in the company of my trusted companions."

She sighs in what surely must be the ultimate expression of regret and tolerance. "What a country."

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 05:42 PM
It wasn't pleasant going from the warm embrace of his home and friends to the cold rainy night of Seattle, but there was no choice. He had a job to do.

Outside it's begun to rain, fat warm droplets that seem out of season in the February night. Without the shelter of an umbrella, Connor resigns himself to getting wet on the short hike to his car. He passes a group of men smoking in front of the bar, and recognizes a few of them as store regulars. He grunts in greeting and they grunt back in kind. Technically they are within the illegal distance to smoke near an open eating establishment, but he's not on duty now anyway. They are outside, and that's good enough for Connor. One of them is hunched over his iphone in the night, with his hoody hunched up against the rain. Good luck with that, kid, he thinks. iphones are notoriously sensitive to the disruptions of magical practitioners, and that close to the packed pub he's lucky the thing still turns on.

He stifles back a yawn and looks into the cheerful pub one last time. People are starting to get excited as they realize that Gumiho is setting up for their performance. Kim is smiling and connecting her instrument to the amps. Their drummer is heading to the back of the building, probably grabbing the rest of his drum set from the storage room downstairs.

If Connor had his way, everyone in Seattle would be living like that. Happy and warm and without a care in the world. But somewhere in the city, something might be taking people out of their normal lives and leaving nothing behind. Connor clenches his silver arm as he walks out of earshot of the pub's happy buzz. If that is true, then he'll find those people, and get them back if possible. And whatever is responsible will be sorry for coming to his town by the time the whole thing is settled. He has the power to do that, at least.

A dissonant sound grates against his thoughts, and he looks up to see a car barreling down the street at him. Just one problem: cars aren't allowed on this street. And cars usually don't drive at night with their lights off. And they don't, as a general rule, speed down the road heading directly for you at 50 miles an hour. There have been times, though.

With a curse, Connor throws himself out of the way, with no idea if he'll be able to make it in time.
OOCConnor rolls a total of 4, which is greater than the difficulty of the dodge. He dodges cleanly.Luck is with him, though, and he hits the pavement in a controlled roll before coming up in a kneel. He feels the wind of the car's passing and narrows his eyes.

Heedless of the pedestrian in its wake, the car continues at its insane clip before screeching to a halt directly in front of O'Reilly's. For a long moment it sits there, engine still running and steam coming from under the hood where rain is heated by the overcharged motor.

Then, like the heavens themselves split, the sound of gunfire tears into the idyllic night.

Inside the pub, everyone is caught entirely unaware. One moment people are cheering for Gumiho, the next there is shattering glass and screams and a sound like a year's worth of thunderstorms happening all at once. All around people are ducking behind furniture if they can, or just hitting the floor if not. The sounds go on for a subjective eternity, with lights exploding and shrapnel flying around the room as bullets find their mark in destructible objects. The mirror behind the bar shatters with a mighty crack, raining down shards on the screaming bartenders. The amps on stage give a deafening squeal before exploding into sparks and static.

Then it's over. It takes a second to even realize that the shooting has stopped, as the sounds were so loud that they seem to ring in your ears even as silence descends on the broken room. The scent of blood and smoke is in the air, and you can hear whimpers and gasps in the suddenly dark night.

Only the most collected individuals in the pub have the wherewithal to notice the squeal of tires as the vehicle speeds into the night, its deadly business apparently done. A brick arcs from the rear passenger side window and through one of the broken pub windows as the car picks up speed.

OOC
If you choose to begin the chase, go ahead and roll your initiative as well.

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 07:03 PM
As the car's headlight blind Connor he moves on pure instinct, faster than any normal human could. Rolling out of the way Connor briefly mutters a prayer of thanks, but it is interrupted by the harsh bark of gunfire.

Turning around Connor is horrified by the sight in front of him. O'Reilly's his home, where his family and friends were. It was torn apart by gunfire, he couldn't see if anyone was hurt, if Kim, or his parents, or his friends were bleeding out on the floor dying. His immediate instinct is to run in and see if they are all right. But no, he's not a doctor if their hurt there is nothing he can do about it. Nor does he have the force of personality to organize some sort of relief effort. And the monsters who did this can't get away. He won't let them.

Connor turns toward the now fleeing car and with a bellow of pure inhuman rage he bounds after the automobile.

Okay I'm spending a Fate Point to Invoke my Righteous Fury aspect to get a +2 to my roll. Then since I am sprinting my Inhuman Speed nets me another +2. Those modifiers plus my base skill give me a total of +6.

[roll0]

Woohoo! Legendary Effort!:smallbiggrin:

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 07:14 PM
With an inarticulate bellow that is a purely emotional reply to the lifeless thunder of gunfire that it answers, Connor leaps into pursuit of the vehicle. For a normal human being, there would be no hope. He is 50 yards away from the car, and it's, well, a car. He is not.

But he is more than a human being, and anything but normal. Rain swirls around him in a compressed bow wave as the fury of the Tuatha De Dannan finds an outlet in Connor O'Reilly's vengeance. He is already running full out before the driver even starts accelerating, and he easily comes up behind it as the tires begin to squeal and it starts to pull away. He sees the hand that throws the brick through the shattered pub window, and notices a piece of paper attached with twine to the arced projectile.

It seems to travel its trajectory in slow motion as Connor approaches, his consciousness stretched for this fraction of a moment as his mantle grants him speed. In the sideview mirror he can see one of the gunmen, wearing a ski mask and fumbling with a semiautomatic pistol. The gunman's eyes widen in almost comic surprise as he sees the pissed off Irishman coming up behind their vehicle.

OOCAnd Connor gets a compel for his trouble once again, as he chooses vengeance over helping possible injured folk. That's a FP! So he's back up to 2.

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 07:21 PM
When the cacophony of gunfire dies, Yin jumps to her feet and bursts through the door, giving chase without a moments hesitation. Though she knows her friends might be hurt, she also knows that she wants these men to suffer for attacking a place she considered like a second home.

Shouldering the door open, she barrels down the street after the car, saying a prayer to Guan Yu under her breath as she does so.

Spending a Fate Point to use Guide My Hand and roll Conviction instead of Athletics.

[roll0] + 4 = 3

Doesn't look like I'm catching up. :smallfrown:

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 07:47 PM
Driven by grief and wrath more than any sort of rational thought Connor leaps through the back window coming to rest beside the now absolutely terrified gunman and the driver who has just now realized there was a scary Irishman chasing them. Connor looks the driver in the eyes and lets all of his anger and hatred into his voice as he says. "No one messes with my home."

I'm using a Maneuver to put the Aspect "Scared out of my Mind" on the driver.

I'm using Intimidation.

[roll0]+1=2

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 07:53 PM
Connor looks the driver in the eyes and lets all of his anger and hatred into his voice as he says. "No one messes with my home."
"HOLY SH**!", he screams.

It seems that witty wordplay has gone home for the night. No matter. Connor is really done with words, anyway.
[roll0] to resist the maneuver. Failed!
The driver jerks the wheel as he realizes that, yes, there is a pissed off man sitting in the car with him. Now that Connor is in the car, he realizes that there are actually 3 men in the car: the driver, a person in the passenger seat, and the unlucky bastard sitting next to him. All of them have guns, a semiautomatic for each person in the front seat and a MAC 10 for the guy in the back. They all seem to be out of ammunition . . .The maneuver is successful. I'll allow Yin to tag it retroactively, since it should have been available when she was making her roll. But if she does so, the results should be related in a new post, not edited into the old one!

Bunny of Faith
2012-10-31, 08:14 PM
Andrew lifts himself to his feet with a groan, taking a moment to orient himself before rushing out of the door after Yin. He looks from her, to Connor, to the car driving away, before thrusting both of his hands forwards in the direction of the vehicle. "Freeze!" He shouts, attempting to freeze the water beneath the car, then have it shoot upwards around the tyres and prevent the car from moving.

Now let's work out how to cast a spell! Also, obviously taking the compel.
4 shifts(3 for effect, 1 for additional duration) = 1 mental stress, so let's see if I actually succeed!
[roll0]
Err, that was wrong. Going to roll in the OOC thread and link to here. *coughs*
See correct roll here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14149331&postcount=395)

AvianMalkavian
2012-10-31, 09:11 PM
Yin doesn't look back to see what caused the ice to form and slow the car down, she simply takes advantage of it. Hoofing it as fast as she can, she dives headfirst through the back window into the car with Connor, spinning around to land on her back between the two front seats. Her eyes burning with anger, images of Kara laying on the floor of the Pub bleeding out running through her mind, she lashes out in a flurry of feet and fists, striking at the driver and passenger with her hands and thrusting her heel at the chest of the man in the back, completely silent the entire time.

Her fist solidly connects with the driver's jaw, and he slumps over, unconscious to rest against the steering wheel. Her second punch grazes the guy riding shotgun, but the sheer surprise of her sudden appearance and attack catches him off-balance. Of course, her near blind rage is almost forgotten when her foot seems to flare with energy, something that usually only happens in the presence of inhuman creatures. That was unexpected.

Yin's eyes focus on this new threat, glaring, "What are you?"

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 09:30 PM
Yin's eyes focus on this new threat, glaring, "What are you?"

"I'm hungry, bitch!" The thug rips the ski mask off his face, revealing a haggard-looking Native American kid who is no older than Yin herself. He has deep bags under his eyes his left ear is a bloody, singed mess where Yin's blow connected. He reaches under his hooded sweatshirt, revealing a glimpse of gray fur wrapped around his waist. He snarls at both interlopers as his body seems to deflate and warp.

Suddenly, the two warriors are trapped in a cramped space with about 140 pounds of pissed off skin-walker. He would be indistinguishable from a normal wolf if they hadn't just seen him rip it's way out of a human form, and the wound on his ear is still visible. He lurches forward awkwardly, still tangled in his clothes, and tries to rip off Zhao Yin's face.

The wolf's jaws close in around Yin's throat, but a quick pound of her fist on his wounded ear and he does nothing more than graze her chin with his teeth. He snarls through the pain and renews his attack, but she has bought herself time to fight back.

The thug in front panics and tries to force open the door, but the mass of ice that appeared around the front of the car gets in his way. Screaming obscenities, he reloads his weapon and points it shakily in Zhao Yin's direction.

Sanguine
2012-10-31, 10:07 PM
The fury of the Tuatha De Danann flows through Connor and in that instant with the demonic wolf attempting to tear the throat out of his friend he lets it guide his action. Taking advantage of the fact that it's attention was focused solely on Yin, Connor brings his boot into the wolf's ribs with all the force he could muster screaming. "Hey, you forgot about me you son of a b****!" Then, with the beast still reeling from the first strike he brings his silver fist down on the beasts head with a sickening crunch.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-10-31, 10:18 PM
Victor, upon seeing his companions rush out the door, starts taking off his suit, peice by peice.
Looking at kara, he says "Hey, pick up this up please. I don't want it to get stolen. Oh, and don't touch my whiskey"
By this point, he has flung underwear off and is running, through the crowd that has gathered, towards the door.
Once outside, he starts transforming into his elk form. Mid-way through his stride, he is fully done, and begins charging at the car holding both his friends and the thugs

ooc: I am coming at the thug pointing a gun at yin with a superb hit

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 10:48 PM
The struggle in the car is getting intense, as all the involved combatants struggle for breath and leverage in the enclosed space. Spittle from the enraged skin-walker sprays into Yin's face as she attempts to keep it from ripping her throat out. Connor continues cursing and hammering into the monster like a prize fighter getting a workout on a heavy punching bag.

Nobody has time or attention to spare for the front seat passenger, who lifts the 9mm pistol in his trembling hands and points it at Yin's head, which isn't more than 6 inches away. Nobody can see the expression on his face, hidden as it is behind the mask, but his ugly, slightly manic chuckle is somehow audible to Zhao Yin anyway. She wonders what it will be like to die, if she will see her father again.

The car slams with the impact of . . . something from outside. The airbags in the front seat pop open, doing nothing to stop the tree branches from crashing in through the passenger window and knocking the masked thug deeply unconscious.

Wait, tree branches? The car is stopped!

The "branches" pull back out of the car, and Yin and Connor see a gentle pair of deep brown eyes looking in. An elk. Just saved their life.

There is a moment of surreal calm, as even the wolf-who-is-a-man ponders whether the evening could get any stranger.

Then the moment is over, and the fight to the death resumes.

Bunny of Faith
2012-10-31, 10:54 PM
Andrew looks with confusion for a moment as the stag charge past him, only to rush forwards himself to get a better view of what was going on the car. What he saw made him sick to his stomach, involuntarily taking a step back at the sight of the wolf. He raised his hands once more, pointing towards it with a cold stare. Reaching deeply into the reserves of power which he has been given, he shoves the magic forwards and into the wolf with only one thought - Die. The creature in response appears to freeze up briefly, before it's fur seems to melt off of it's form and into nothingness, it's flesh following suit and then the rest of it until little remains to show that a wolf had ever been inside this vehicle besides a few tufts of fur.

Steel Mirror
2012-10-31, 11:57 PM
Zhao Yin and Connor blink and catch their breath in the suddenly still car. In the distance they can hear sirens already on the way, and it occurs to them that it's only been a few minutes since the shooting began. Maybe less. With the rush of combat and the peril of terrible, fanged death, the seconds have seemed to stretch into subjective life-times, and the happy buzz of laughter and music in the warmly lit pub is already an oddly distant memory.

For a moment it occurs to them that the vanished monster that was trying to kill them moments ago might be a trick, another gambit from a powerful beast to catch them off guard. That momentary fear is allayed when they look out the window to see Andrew's thin frame, still glaring manically into the back seat with a single trembling finger outstretched. Ice crystals have actually formed around his fingernails, and he doesn't blink even as rivulets of ice water make their way down his face. He is whispering something under his breath, and with his messy hair and the sudden chill in the air he looks more like a maddened winter fae than a boy.

Zhao Yin remembers the power he had wielded during the conflict with the mad necromancer, and the stray thought that she had entertained about the mysterious young man earlier that night. "So Cold," she thinks, and shivers.

Then the elk snorts, and the cold sorcerer shakes himself out of his stupor and remembers to blink. Time to get the menagerie under cover: the cops are coming, and someone is going to have to explain this scene to them.

Sanguine
2012-11-01, 12:03 AM
Connor's fury slowly turns into disgust as he watches the wolf melt away into nothing. Slowly but surely making his way out of the car Connor strides determinedly towards O'Reilly's. Turning back to the car he says. "Tie up those two idiots and try not to disturb anything, I'm gonna want to take a closer look at the inside of that car later." Then almost as an afterthought he adds. "And someone get Victor some clothes."

Stopping outside the entrance to the pub Connor braces himself. He pushes down his worries and his fears and the memories of that terrible day. The scene he's about to see could be much, much worse than anything that happened in Ireland. But he's ready to face that horror. Taking one last deep breath Connor enter his family's pub.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 12:23 AM
The pub isn't as bad as it could be-but it's pretty bad. A dozen people run past Connor as he walks toward the front, heading away from the car and away from the scene of the crime in pure mindless terror. Connor can't even really blame them, he just dismisses them as uninjured and therefore, for the moment, irrelevant.

The windows are completely shattered and broken glass covers the ground for 10 feet into the street and a similar span within the pub. Two people are lying prone within that smear of crystal shards, their blood staining the ground in a pool around each of them. Stupidly, it reminds Connor of blood on snow.

Patrick O'Reilly has imposed a basic sort of order on the scene, so at least people aren't being trampled in a blind panic. In addition to the two lying in broken glass, two other people seem to have been hit. One is moaning and clutching her arm in agony, another is lying against the drums on the stage, with Kim staunching the flow of blood from his shoulder. It's Gumiho's guitar player, an African American man who is older than the rest of the group (almost 30) and usually the one taking care of the other "young bloods". His blood is spread in broad smears across the stage, and Kim's yellow dress is stained deep with crimson from her desperate ministrations.

"Connor!" His father calls to him once he looks up from his messy work. His shirt, too, is covered with blood, even though the young woman he is tending seems to be only lightly injured. "Thank Lugh you're all right! Here, give me a hand with these people!"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-01, 12:25 AM
Zhao Yin climbed away from the wolf when it began to melt right before her eyes. Luckily it simply seemed to dissolve rather than leave a disgusting puddle in the seat of the car. When she managed to gather her wits again and think rationally, she climbed out of the car and went from side to side, tying the unconscious thugs to their seats with their seatbelts.

After that, she hurried after Connor, rushing back towards O'Reilly's and hoping that Kara was okay. Yin couldn't stand to think of what she would do if her friend was hurt, or worse. But she had a good feeling that if that was the case, she would come back to the car to pay those men a second visit that they wouldn't have a chance to regret.

"Kara! Kara! Are you okay?!"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 12:36 AM
"Kara! Kara! Are you okay?!"

For a terrible moment there is nothing.

"I'm fine, I'm ok." Kara is kneeling behind the formidable frame of Patrick O'Reilly, helping to patch up the moaning woman on the floor. She looks deeply shaken, but she's done first aid before, even if she's never seen a bullet wound. That skill must be enough for her to fall back on in this moment of crisis, keeping her steady while the rest of the world falls apart around her.

Then Yin notices the tears that are falling silently from the redheaded girl's eyes. She looks at Yin and shakes her head ever so slightly, a signal that it's not something they can talk about now, there are more important things to do. "I'm ok," she whispers again.

For some reason, Kara is keeping a neatly stacked pile of expensive dress clothes nearby as she goes about her work. Yin has no time to ask about it, but hopes it isn't a sign of traumatic stress taking hold.

Sanguine
2012-11-01, 12:39 AM
An enormous weight lifted itself off of Connor's shoulders as he sees that his father and Kim are all right. That the fears that he had barely been willing to admit he held were nothing but the fancies of a worried mind. In fact, it is such a relief that he almost doesn't realize the fact that there are people who are hurt and need his help.

Shaking himself out of his revery Connor walks toward the steady strength of his father's voice. "What do you need me to do?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-01, 12:47 AM
Hearing Kara speak is like an enormous weight off of Yin's shoulders. When she sees her friend, she's so happy she could almost run over and kiss her. And then she notices the tears in her eyes. Frowning deeply for a brief moment, she pushes it away and then begins the task of helping out with the injured as best she can. She had a limited knowledge of First Aid, but she tried to make use of what she knew.

I'll make a Scholarship (not Scholastics) roll for First Aid.

[roll0] + 1 = 2

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 12:58 AM
Setting to work, Connor and Zhao Yin go about the task of keeping the injured alive long enough for emergency services to arrive. It seems like it should be harder than it is. Later the pain will come. Later, when they revisit this bar in their nightmares, the groans will come back to haunt them, the sensation in their fingers of someone else's life blood pumping into the chill night air will deny them restful sleep and condemn them to hours of waking regret and guilt.

For now, it's just a task. Identify the wounded. Find the injury. Clog the hole. Apply pressure. Neither person is any stranger to blood, and they go about their grim jobs in focused silence.

They almost don't notice that Patrick, himself has been hit. "It's naught but a scratch," he growls as Kara moves to dress the wound. She hesitates, then bandages it anyway.

Then the emergency services are there. Gently, the EMTs guide the group of impromptu life savers to one side and seat them in an empty patch of ground. Some of them might be thanking them for what they did - it's all a blur. Ambulances roar away and none of them know if they made any difference, but they did all they could. Some nights, that's all you can say.

OOCThere is still time for Andrew and Victor to have investigated the car real quick before the cops arrive, if that's what they want. I'll let them decide when they get back on the forums, and we'll do a little retroactive stuff there if they want.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-01, 11:45 AM
Yawning as he flicks the ice off of his own fingers, Andrew takes the time to look from the car to O'Reilly's, and back again. Nodding to himself as he sees Yin and Connor heading towards the pub, he decides that he will be more use searching for clues as to why the drive-by even happened. Muttering under his breath about how he probably shouldn't have disintegrated the wolf, he heads over to the car, careful not to bother the two unconcious gentlemen inside, and takes a quick look around.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 12:09 PM
The two thugs are thoroughly unconscious, and Andrew wouldn't want to be either of them in the morning. Better one of them than their companion in the back . . .

Andrew gets a chill as he does a quick but thorough investigation of the car's interior. The skin-walker, he realizes. Between its dark magic and the spell that took its twisted life, this spot will be a flux of dark magic for some time to come. Sunrise will wipe away the worst of it, though. And he didn't have a choice. Right?

Pushing those thoughts away, he examines the fruits of his search: a cellphone, an envelope, a pamphlet or booklet like the kind they hand out in front of grocery stores for political causes, and the three firearms. He is careful not to get fingerprints on anything as he quickly takes a peek at the contents of the envelope.

A stack of crisp 100 dollar bills drops out, perhaps one hundred of them. There is also a note with pasted cut-outs from magazines, newspapers, and other print sources spliced and combined to leave a message with no trace of the maker's identity.

O'Reilly's Pub
Use weapons provided
leave other message as a warning at the scene
Eliminate target Last payment will be at same drop location
Burn this message
Double Cross me and I will kill you and your family

The cellphone is a cheap model, old fashioned and with no flip or touch screen. It is still on (thank goodness for sidhe magic, Andrew thinks), but with the police getting closer, all Andrew has time to do is check recent calls and contacts. There are no contacts, and only a single text message received. It is from (206)555-2368 and it reads simply "Now". The time stamp places it at about 6 minutes ago.

The pamphlet is from some group calling themselves the "Knights of Laconia". From the brief scan that he can give it before the cops arrive, they seem to be a racist group that in particular has it out for Chinese, Irish, African Americans, and Catholics. They also have an odd reverence for Native Cultures, contrasting them with the degenerate, alien foreigners who are polluting America. A website is given so that he can follow up later if he wants.

Other than those clues, there are a number of used syringes littering the floor, and a stack of crumpled wrappers from Taco Bell. It also smells like wet dog and old socks, so no olfactory clues are in the cards for this crime scene.

For a moment Andrew eyes the spliced-together note. It could conceivably be useful as the focus for a thaumaturgic ritual to try and trace the person who made it. That's a tricky spell though, and probably outside his skill level. And it would be a pretty big risk to pocket it - the police might search him, and maybe they would have better luck investigating that clue, anyway. Does he have any right to take it himself?

Of course he could tear off a piece of it. . .

Confident that he has found what he could, Andrew leaves the car to its unhappy occupants. Just in time, too. The first police cars screech up to the restaurant, and uniformed men swarm out of them and begin to secure the scene.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 12:59 PM
After the first minutes of confusion, as the police arriving on scene treat every person as a potential armed offender, Connor manages to get them calmed down and pointed in the right direction. Uniforms cuff the unconscious shooters and carry them to an ambulance, while others cordon off the street and organize the steady procession of emergency vehicles ferrying pub customers (now officially transitioned to the status of "witnesses" in Connor's mind) to the hospital. Unnoticed by the police, several slip away into the Undercity in the confusion - no denizen of the night wants to be stuck in a police building when the sun comes up. Connor notes who they are in case he needs to follow up with any questions, later.

"Detective! You might want to check this out!" One of the cops that Connor recognizes but can't remember the name of is holding the brick in his gloved hand. The message that was tied to it has been unfolded in his other hand, and he passes it on once Connor makes it over to him.
A present for the N*******, Sp***, Ch****, P*****, and freaks
The words are all formed by pasting together cutouts from magazines and other printed materials. The paper itself looks like generic white printer paper. Connor has to control himself to stop from clenching his fist around the hateful note, crumpling it into a little ball, and spitting on it.

There's always a way for the situation to get uglier.
All those starred out words are racist terms for Africans, Chinese, Hispanics, and Irish. I didn't feel comfortable writing them out in the forum. If you are really curious what the actual terms used are, PM me and I can email you the full note. But I think you all get the picture.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-01, 01:21 PM
After a few moments getting her thoughts back in order, Yin managed to push herself to her feet and dust herself off. What happened tonight had been a tragedy, yes, but more importantly one of the thugs had been using black magic to take on the guise of a wolf. Such things were a little outside Yin's understanding, but she knew enough to know that it was bad and needed to be dealt with.

Glancing around, she made note of her allies who all seemed to be a bit preoccupied. Connor was doing his official police thing, Andrew had been examining the car before the cops showed up, and Victor was nowhere to be found. Neither was that elk that had saved her life.

Yin paused, 'I never thought I would hear that sentence.'

Considering Kara, she knew the girl would be able to get home safely enough. Right now she had a job that she needed to do. Turning, Yin headed off into the rain, to start looking for some answers.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 01:42 PM
As Yin is walking out of the door, Victor is walking in. Wearing an... eccentric assortment of clothes. First off, there are the pink booty shorts proclaiming that he is "hot stuff". And then the neon red flip flops. And topping off the outfits is the green neon mesh shirt that lets everyone know that Victor feels cold.
"Sorry I wasn't more of a help. I had to go grab some stuff from a local goodwill. I figured a naked lawyer would cause more probloems than it solved. So, what can I do to help?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-01, 01:59 PM
Yin makes sure to send a quick text Kara's way to let her know that Bae was giving her a ride home, and not to wait up for her. Tucking the phone back into her pocket, she headed down toward the edge of the neighborhood, towards the Headquarters of the Knights of Laconia. She clenched her fists, angry for what had happened, angry for the reasons why it had happened. There was nothing she could do against that kind of reckless hate, the kind for which there's no logic or reason. It was a truth that she had come to learn, but one she still struggled with: there were people that would always hate her, simply because she looked different.

It seemed all the more foolish to her, given the true nature of the world. There were things out there far more worthy of that kind of hatred than she. Like the skinwalker that had tried to tear her throat out or all those vampires that had inexplicably disappeared in the last year. What had she done to deserve that hate? Saved Seattle? Twice? Even ignoring all that, she was still a human being just like every-well almost everyone else.

Lost in her thoughts, she almost walked right by the Joshua Building where the 'Knights' were officially holed up. She stopped, looking around to make sure there wasn't anyone about before she attempted to break in.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 02:12 PM
She stopped, looking around to make sure there wasn't anyone about before she attempted to break in.

There is nobody in sight. There is a light on in one of the upstairs windows of the Joshua building, but Yin can't make anything out through the closed shades. The rest of the building is as dark and empty as the street all around.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 02:16 PM
"Sorry I wasn't more of a help. I had to go grab some stuff from a local goodwill. I figured a naked lawyer would cause more probloems than it solved. So, what can I do to help?"
The young woman that offered to help him with the whiskey earlier in the night is still in the bar, apparently uninjured, though understandably not as cheerful as she was before. She seems to be staring past Victor, thoughts doubtlessly dwelling on the horrors of the night. A few patches of blood remain where the most seriously injured have been taken away, no doubt fighting for their lives in ambulances and emergency rooms at this very moment.

"I kept your clothes safe for you," she says. "Hot Stuff."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 03:05 PM
"thank you so much...hey, your friend left. Do you need a ride home?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 03:13 PM
"thank you so much...hey, your friend left. Do you need a ride home?"

"No offense, but I saw you turn into a deer. And I just met you. And I've been shot at tonight." Her tone is teasing (well, beneath the stress and strain of what she has just endured anyway), so Victor knows she isn't too serious.

"I'm not supposed to accept rides from strange men at bars, and I think this place and you qualify. For now." She hands Victor his pants and his jacket.

"Maybe some other time, Hot Stuff." She watches as Victor puts on his jacket and pants, making him look slightly more respectable, if a little fashion-bipolar.

"By the way, since you're a were-Bambi . . . do you think it's likely that a guy who goes around without a shirt all the time is a were-person? A were-American? Whatever you guys call yourselves?" She gets that mischievous glint back in her eye. "I have a friend who would really like to know."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 03:19 PM
Victor, unfortunately still in the mesh shirts, mulls it over
"Well, possibly, but consider this. Most 'were-people', which I guess the PC term, like to be considered normal. that typically means that they wear clothes in public. Dare I ask what friend, and why they want to know?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 03:31 PM
Victor, unfortunately still in the mesh shirts, mulls it over
"Well, possibly, but consider this. Most 'were-people', which I guess the PC term, like to be considered normal. that typically means that they wear clothes in public. Dare I ask what friend, and why they want to know?"

"Just a little theory that one of my friends has about this boy she likes. Mostly I think she doesn't want to deal with him shedding on all her furniture." Something buzzes, and she retrieves her phone. She swipes it on, then tries to read a text message she just received.

"Darn things never work in here," she mutters. "Hey, I'm gonna try and see if I get better signal outside." She walks slowly toward the doors, dodging police officers that are taking photos and writing in their notebooks. Outside a news helicopter is already taking the scene in, and Victor knows that soon the square will be swarming with press.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-01, 03:31 PM
Trying the front door and finding it locked, Yin begins walking around the building. There are multiple ways in, but she isn't sure if she should try any of them. Of course, there's the window with the light still on. Possibly some nefarious individuals plotting more evil acts? She decided to try and get up there so that she could listen.

Grabbing a trashcan, she began to slide it into place, only to cause a noise louder than any she could have made if she had even tried. The steel can screeched against the cement sidewalk and Yin let out a long, muttering, string of expletives and curses, "Feh feh pi goh! How w'rin bu lai, whai w'rin bu jwo!"

She quickly tried to find someplace to hide, though she figured her chances of sneaking in were pretty much done with by this point. But after a few moments of waiting there didn't seem to be any reaction. No one rushing out with uzis or any giant evil skinwalker wolves. Nothing.

Giving it a few more minutes, Yin finally climbed up on the trash can and, from there, was able to get a good grip on the building. She worked her way up slowly to the second floor, attempting to peer into the window.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 03:37 PM
Giving it a few more minutes, Yin finally climbed up on the trash can and, from there, was able to get a good grip on the building. She worked her way up slowly to the second floor, attempting to peer into the window.

The window is open, and leads to a cheerful little office full of colorful rather shapeless piles of knit . . . things, and pictures of cheerful sheep and rainbows on the walls. The lights are all off and the door to the hallway shut, but the lock is on this side of the door and Yin could easily get into the hall from here. As she recalls, the lit window was across the hall and two or three windows down from her current location.

Still spooked from the noise she made she takes a moment to weigh her options. A helicopter is circling the scene of the shooting about a mile away, but other than that and the sounds of distant sirens, the night around is still empty. And she has a feeling - a vague, undefined sort of feeling, but her instincts are usually good - that there is something worth looking at in that one lit room.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 03:44 PM
Victor quickly weighs his options, and decides to get out of the pub and back home. Because, as much media fuss as a naked lawyer would cause, a lawyer wearing a mesh shirt and a suit jacket in a pub where people were getting ushered out on stretchers would cause almost as much.
He went out the back, unlocked his Porsche, and was quickly driving away.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-01, 03:45 PM
Yin was always one to trust in her instincts, or at least in the fact that the gods knew what they were doing. She glanced back at the helicopter that was hanging around the scene of the shooting, thankful that the police would be a bit busy at least if she did end up setting off an alarm or doing something to catch their attention. Slipping in through the window, she took a look around the room before heading over to the door and unlocking it. Taking a deep breath, the demon hunter attempted to prepare herself for what might be waiting on the other side.

However, in this line of work one could never really know what they would find. There might be a skinwalker out there, but there could also be a giant living gummiworm too. So, prepared for the unpreparable, which wasn't a real word, Yin opened the door and began to make her way towards the one lit room in the building.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 04:03 PM
Victor quickly weighs his options, and decides to get out of the pub and back home.

He went out the back, unlocked his Porsche, and was quickly driving away.

Arriving at his utterly tasteful and expensive house, the lights in the garage come on automatically as the purr of the Porsche's engine dies down. Victor places the keys on the peg next to the rest and continues into the house.

His message machine is blinking, which usually means it's something important. He doesn't give out his home number to clients or contacts, except the most important, vital ones. And his secretary. Also somehow the number had gotten onto a list of libertarian voters, and they regularly called him to solicit donations or try to get him to attend various events. Which is, in and of itself he muses, rather ironic.

The message isn't from the libertarian party, though. It's his secretary calling to make sure that he is alive, and also to make sure that he remembers to bring in the Miller casefile tomorrow. At least she has her priorities straight.

Victor is about to head up to his bedroom when he notices the other message that has been left for him, this one lying in the center of the handsome dining table that Victor never gets the chance to use. It's a single black feather, carved exquisitely from black glass so fine and sharp that you can't tell it's fake at a glance, and can't tell at a touch that it's cut you until blood is running down your hand and spoiling your Armani suit.

The Lady of the Rains wishes to speak with him.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 04:10 PM
VIctor's breath catches when he sees the feather. As much as the Lady of Rains has done for him, he is still scared of her.
He clears his voice and say "What do you wish to converse about O Moist Lady?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 04:30 PM
However, in this line of work one could never really know what they would find. There might be a skinwalker out there, but there could also be a giant living gummiworm too. So, prepared for the unpreparable, which wasn't a real word, Yin opened the door and began to make her way towards the one lit room in the building.

The door opens with a barely audible creak, revealing an empty hall beyond. There is light coming from a few emergency signs near the stairwells, as well as a few soft emergency lights spaced along the ceiling. There is also light coming from under the door of one of the offices, which has the symbol of the Knights of Laconia emblazoned on it.

The entire building feels exudes a feeling of age, but in a good way. It's traditional rather than decrepit, old money rather than young blandness. Yin wonders how a group of bums like the KoL can afford digs like this.

Still moving stealthily, she swings the door behind her as she moves into the hallway, leaving it a little bit open so as not to lock herself out. The door says "A Jolly good Yarn" in colorful block letters.

Yin pauses outside the door to the lit up office, hearing voices from within. She listens.

"-don't care about some drive-by shooting downtown, we still have what they want and they'll never get him back until we get the deed."

It's an angry voice, and it pauses after that outburst as though you are hearing one half of a phone conversation.

"Screw the cops. You think they don't have something better to do than deal with stupid G**** problems? Tell them that if the cops get involved, they'll be skimming their precious grandfather out of Puget Sound with a goldfish strainer."

Another pause.

"Fine you panicky bastard. I'll send over Mark and his nephews to back you up. But don't screw this up. We're on a deadline, and those stubborn fools better sell before Sunday or you're out of a job."

There is more cursing, then the same voice speaks, but without the anger as before.

"You heard that. Rustle up some of your best guys and head down to the docks to calm Jake's precious nerves. You shouldn't have any problems, but don't get pulled over by the cops. Some shooting happened down in Pioneer Square and they are buzzing all over the place."

"Yes sir," 'Mark' says. You can hear footsteps coming to the door. Looking around quickly, the only place to hide is the room you came in through, severl yards away. He sounds like he's getting very close . . .

Oh my, another racial slur! I don't think these people are very polite. Again, from context I'm sure you get the point.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 04:47 PM
VIctor's breath catches when he sees the feather. As much as the Lady of Rains has done for him, he is still scared of her.
He clears his voice and say "What do you wish to converse about O Moist Lady?"

"How has your health been, my Emissary?" The voice comes from behind Victor, and proud as he is of his iron emotional control he jumps involuntarily. With a turn he sees her pitch black eyes staring into his from only a hand span away. She is clad in a dress of furs and hides that are artfully stitched to reveal her stunning curves and thin frame. Or maybe the furs were just thrown on haphazardly, and she is the one that makes them look good.

Her face is perfect, with sharp, symmetrical features and strong cheek bones that make her simultaneously attractive and severe-looking. Victor has never seen anything resembling human emotion expressed on that beautiful face. Right now she is staring dispassionately at him and awaiting a reply.

He knows this ritual from his previous dealings with her: She asks him three questions, about anything really. The answers don't even seem to matter much, though she listens attentively and seems to digest each answer carefully before proceeding to the next question. Then she allows Victor to ask her three questions in return, and answers in kind. She has always answered truthfully, but on occasion quite evasively.

Only then will she get down to the business at hand, and accept Victor's report or issue instructions, as the situation warrants.

Once he answers the first question, she continues. "Have the starlings begun to change their plumage yet?" And finally, "Why did your woman choose that drummer over you? He seems a much less capable provider, and hasn't the mortal status that you possess, either."

Sanguine
2012-11-01, 04:53 PM
Connor organizes the efforts of the on the scene officers until another detective arrives. The case was almost definitely going to be taken away from him, but until that happened he was going to do everything he could to help.

As it turns out the detective who came to relieve Connor was none other than Chris Young an intelligent, if relatively green, detective whose bacon Connor had pulled out of the fire a few weeks back when a drugbust had gone bad. It was also an open secret that he was in a relationship with Connor's partner Kevin.

The two talk for a bit, Connor putting up a token resistance to giving up the case, ultimately conceding after Chris promises to keep him in the loop.

Connor briefly considers going off alone to pursue the case but last time he tried that he was nearly run over a car filled with crazy Native Americans armed with guns and a Werewolf. So he asks Andrew along for backup.

Getting into his car Connor drives off to the Police Department to make some discreet inquiry's about the missing bands and the Knights of Laconia. After reading the files his partener brings him Connor heads off.

The members of Kettleblack are the most recent dissapearance, and thus his freshest lead. So without wasting any time Connor gets in his car and starts driving to the place they were last seen.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 05:23 PM
The members of Kettleblack are the most recent dissapearance, and thus his freshest lead. So without wasting any time Connor gets in his car and starts driving to the place they were last seen.

The garage where Kettlebug practiced is on the North side of town, and it's technically the next day by the time Connor and Andrew get out of the police station, across town, and pull up to the suburban home. It's in a neighborhood that was expensive when it was built, but has fallen on harder times since the bottom fell out of the real estate market. Foreclosure signs are in evidence on lawns throughout the neighborhood, and several of the once-lush lawns have gone to weed.

The particular house in question is very similar to its neighbors, except for the large, busted up old red astrovan parked in the driveway. The windows are all dark, as you would expect at three in the morning. The yard is actually pretty well maintained, other than a few overgrown patches dotting the front yard, and a few tufts of green poking out of cracks in the driveway. The hedges are well-trimmed, at least, cut to practically a razor edge and forming an even, fortress-like wall between this property and those nearby.

Getting out of the car, the pair of investigators prepare to go up and see if anyone is home. If nobody is there, they might have a look around, to find what there is to find. If someone is home, well, they might get awoken in the middle of the night, but at least the pair will have learned something.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 05:42 PM
"How has your health been, my Emissary?" The voice comes from behind Victor, and proud as he is of his iron emotional control he jumps involuntarily. With a turn he sees her pitch black eyes staring into his from only a hand span away. She is clad in a dress of furs and hides that are artfully stitched to reveal her stunning curves and thin frame. Or maybe the furs were just thrown on haphazardly, and she is the one that makes them look good.

He knows this ritual from his previous dealings with her: She asks him three questions, about anything really. The answers don't even seem to matter much, though she listens attentively and seems to digest each answer carefully before proceeding to the next question. Then she allows Victor to ask her three questions in return, and answers in kind. She has always answered truthfully, but on occasion quite evasively.

Only then will she get down to the business at hand, and accept Victor's report or issue instructions, as the situation warrants.

Once he answers the first question, she continues. "Have the starlings begun to change their plumage yet?" And finally, "Why did your woman choose that drummer over you? He seems a much less capable provider, and hasn't the mortal status that you possess, either."
1. My health is doing fine
2. Not to my knowledge
3. I don't know. Maybe he makes her happier
And my questions are as follows,
1. How is your health?
2. Why did my girlfriend leave me for the drummer?
3. Who ordered the attack on the Pub?

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 07:03 PM
1. How is your health?
"That is a . . . complex answer. I am not ill, and I am receiving sufficient sustenance. I have received no injuries lately from which recovery would be uncertain."


2. Why did my girlfriend leave me for the drummer?
"I am uncertain. I do not understand mortals and the criteria by which you select mates, or permanent partners. You are physically pristine and free of disease or parasites. The same cannot be said of the other man. You are also more materially situated, and possess higher status within your tribe. If you cannot explain such a thing to me, I have little chance of explaining it to you any better."


3. Who ordered the attack on the Pub?
"An astute question my Emissary, and one which you must answer."

She seems to flicker, and then is gone. "Your task is to determine who is responsible for initiating this act of violence on neutral territory within my domain." Her voice is coming from behind Victor again, and he whirls around to see her sitting in his most comfortable chair, shadows gathered around her in cool blues and blacks and with the pattern from the rain-dappled window cast across her face.

"Two of the attackers were men of another tribe, and with no standing within the Shadow Court. One however was a child of the Duwamish, and thus within my domain. He is to be brought before the Shadow Court and tried for his attempt to destroy the peace of my city."

Her voice is still emotionless, but a thrum of power vibrates through the air when she talks about "her" city. "His tribe is contesting this charge, claiming that he was but the unwitting pawn of another who seeks to sow chaos and death in the world of mortal and spirit alike. You will be his defense."

"Go out into my city. Find who is responsible for this attack on my authority. Save the fool from his own mistake and prove his innocence before the Court. The trial is in three nights. Do not fail me."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 07:21 PM
"Thank you Mistress. I Shall do my best to please you." he says right before she vanishes into thin air
He slumps into his second favorite chair, since his first favorite is now too moist to be comfortable, and starts rubbing brow.
He calls up his secretary "look, I won't be coming into tomorrow. Personal buisness. The Miller File is already on my desk, hand it off to... Anderson. He seems competent enough."
He then calls the pub's "secret line", the number reserved for supernatural calls, and leaves a message for Connor
"Look, I think I need your help. I've been told to defend a cilent by the L.O.R. It seems like it might have something to do with what you are investigating, and I'd appreciate a more... seasoned pair of eyes. Call my cell when you get this number."
Victor then attempts to get something resembling a normal night of sleep before what will undoubtedly be a strange three days.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-01, 07:28 PM
Being silent for most of the journey, it is perhaps a suprise when Andrew turns to Connor and says, "Just a moment, I'll see if I can find anything out for us before we check if anyone's in." Despite the fact it's three in the morning, he glances around to make sure nobody is watching before he walks over to the hedge and whispers, ""Hello, is anybody home?"

After a few moments of silence, a tiny figure dances out from the bush - barely six inches tall, skin looking like bark and her 'hair' seeming to consist of what on closer inspection is a number of ridiculously tiny leaves - and looks up at him expectantly. Andrew smiles at this, saying ""Ah, hello! I don't suppose you could tell me what's happened here in the past day or so?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 07:39 PM
a tiny figure dances out from the bush - barely six inches tall, skin looking like bark and her 'hair' seeming to consist of what on closer inspection is a number of ridiculously tiny leaves - and looks up at him expectantly. Andrew smiles at this, saying ""Ah, hello! I don't suppose you could tell me what's happened here in the past day or so?"

The spriggan replies in a high-pitched voice that carries all the way to Connor, despite her diminuitive size. "What's happened? Lots has happened! See, I ate a bug!" She points excitedly at her barky little stomach, which does seem to have a little bulge.

"Then I poked a cat, and then I took all the cobwebs out of the West side of the bush and put them in Greenpage's hair, ("Hey!" cries another tiny voice from further in the bush) and then I pretended I was a dog and barked to keep stupid bad uglyface next door from falling asleep, and then - "

Andrew realizes that the tiny little spriggan has the same problem as most of the little folk - an inability to focus. Fortunately, that problem is often offset by their susceptibility to bribery and an almost carnal love of sweet treats. Maybe if the good detective is carrying anything sweet on him, he can get the little creature to focus long enough to give a more useful answer . . .

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 08:43 PM
Victor then attempts to get something resembling a normal night of sleep before what will undoubtedly be a strange three days.

It's not quite what most people would call a "full" night's sleep, but Victor is used to running on a little sleep and a lot of stress from his sprint through college and law school.

His doorbell rings, jolting him out of a dreamless doze. He looks at his alarm clock just in time to see it click over from 5:29 to 5:30. The doorbell rings again.

Victor gets out of bed, and quickly runs himself through a minute of exercises and stretches to make sure he is awake. The doorbell rings again.

He laughs under his breath. Whoever it is must really want to see him. He decides that, if they want to wake him up in his own home before the sun has even risen, they can deal with seeing him without a shirt, and heads down to the door to see who it is.

It's his secretary. Sorry, executive assistant. She has two huge Starbucks coffees in a travel holder and a file under her other arm. Like many women working in such high-visibility positions in appearance-conscious firms, she is very attractive. Her hair is blonde and cut in a short bob, and her makeup is always expertly applied and barely noticeable. Her suit is cut professionally but close, and her shoes are practical but with enough heel to make sure you notice her shapely legs. Physical appearances aside, she is damn good at her job. Victor isn't sure when she sleeps. She works even faster than even he can, and he is a 26 year old lawyer in charge of a major law firm.

"Anderson has taken charge of the Miller case as you requested, though he told me to tell you that it meant that the deposition for Aswati and sons would have to wait. I told him that was unacceptable." She holds up the coffee. "To get you going. I have the brief on the new priority client, Mr. Strongback. He is at Virginia Mason Medical Center, and is scheduled to be transferred to police custody in three hours. I thought you could use some information about what you're getting yourself into."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 09:13 PM
"how did you know about Mr.Stron... Nevermind. I don't wanna know."
he says as he grabs the coffee, and takes a sip while skimming the file
"Well, I should probably go put on a shirt, shouldn't I? oh, and the website still says I'm 26. Get somebody to fix that."
He quickly goes into his room and dons a suit
"So, which car would be appropriate for the situation?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 09:21 PM
He quickly goes into his room and dons a suit
"So, which car would be appropriate for the situation?"


"Depends. Are you trying to impress the people at the hospital into being in awe of the young wonder attorney, or are you trying to keep a low profile?" She answers from out of eyesight. "Or are you trying to pick up a date?"

Important details are firmly impressed into Victor's mind. Young male. 22. Convicted of possession once for heroine, petty theft once. When admitted to hospital last night, had heroine in his bloodstream. Track marks indicate a regular and severe addiction. Borderline malnourishment, concussion, impact wounds on the back of the head from a mysterious impacting weapon. Admitted to firing already, against the advice of his counsel.

Victor wouldn't want to be this kid's attorney in a normal courtroom. Fortunately he don't have to prove that the guy is innocent, just that he was being used by someone else for purposes beyond the poor addict's understanding. From what he can tell of the casefile so far, that is almost certainly true.

Well, it seems like a fool's errand, but Victor might as well go and visit him. He has got a shiny document stating that he is the Strongback kid's next of kin and has the right to visit at the hospital; he doesn't know how his secretary managed that one.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 09:29 PM
"keep a low profile. And you know I'm always trying to get a date."
Upon seeing that he is the next of kin, all he can say to his secretary is "Allison, what ever I'm paying you, it isn't it enough"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 09:34 PM
"keep a low profile. And you know I'm always trying to get a date."
Upon seeing that he is the next of kin, all he can say to his secretary is "Allison, what ever I'm paying you, it isn't it enough"

"I handle payroll, Mr. Price, and I assure you," She smiles a very self-satisfied smile. "It most certainly is."

"And the 750 Li shouldn't attract too much attention. Silver is a relatively understated color."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 09:38 PM
"Thank you. I'd stick around, but I have a feeling that Mr. Strongback needs to see me as soon as possible. oh, and I wasn't kidding about taking a personal day. You're in charge of any mundane business that occurs. I onlt want to hear about it if they call the secure line, or if their initials are L.O.R" victor says as he walks out the door.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 09:49 PM
"I only want to hear about it if they call the secure line, or if their initials are L.O.R" victor says as he walks out the door.

"Yes, Mr, Price," is all he hears as the garage door closes behind him.

The drive to the hospital is short, and the benefit of being up before the sun is that rush hour traffic has yet to hit its high point. Victor makes it into town with a minimum of delay and parks as close to the hospital as he can, heedless of the parking charge.

It's a normal hospital, neither elaborate or excessively run down. Jeremiah Strongback is being held upstairs in the secure wing, where they keep suspected (and convicted) criminals and the dangerously insane. Victor has been here before. In fact, one of his clients actually works here - but that's a different story.

The cop outside the room quirks an eye at the "next of kin" documentation, and looks levelly from white-as-the-driven-snow Victor to the dark skinned young Duwamish kid inside. But it's not his job to make judgments, so he lets Victor in the door.

Jeremiah is awake and struggling, slowly working at the cushioned bonds tying him to the gurney. His eyes are wide and unfocused, like a terrified, cornered animal. They follow Victor's progress around the room, but the young lawyer can't tell whether he realizes that another person is in the room with him. His head is bandaged where an "Unknown blunt object" rendered him unconscious a few hours ago.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 10:30 PM
Well, nothing to do but try, victor thinks to himself
"Hello, Mr. Strongback. The Lady has asked to me to defend you in your upcoming trial. In order to do this properly, I'm going to need to have you tell me why you attacked the pub. Can you do that for me?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 10:37 PM
"Hello, Mr. Strongback. The Lady has asked to me to defend you in your upcoming trial. In order to do this properly, I'm going to need to have you tell me why you attacked the pub. Can you do that for me?"

He flinches from the sound of Victor's voice. "I did it. I shot the gun, I squeezed the trigger until there weren't any bullets left! It was the only thing left, everything else was black and black and it didn't feel the same! We were hungry and thirsty, but there was only one and we never had enough!"

He is ranting, and clearly disturbed. What's more, he's ranting a confession. Not the sort of thing a defense attorney wants to hear, unfortunately, and an insanity plea doesn't carry in the Shadow Court.
He is obviously terrified, roll empathy or rapport to try and discover more about his state of mind, or to calm him down. Other ideas you have might make some progress with this cracked up young addict.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-01, 10:55 PM
"C'mon. you and I both know that the Rain lady doesn't like it when I lose cases, and that I haven't once disappointed her yet. If you talk to me, I can make sure that things get better. okay?"

rolling rapport, which is at +2, and adding in my "marked by power"... power. which means I got a "good" success

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 11:06 PM
"C'mon. you and I both know that the Rain lady doesn't like it when I lose cases, and that I haven't once disappointed her yet. If you talk to me, I can make sure that things get better. okay?"

rolling rapport, which is at +2, and adding in my "marked by power"... power. which means I got a "good" success

"The . . . Lady." He gets quiet and stops struggling. Then he shrieks. "No, I don't believe in you! Just a story! A lie! I found real power, but there wasn't enough!"

He didn't like the sound of that, but it seems that you struck a nerve. You might be able to intimidate him. Or you could roll scholarship/lore to try and make some sense of some of his ramblings. Marked by power definitely applies to social skill rolls here.

Sanguine
2012-11-01, 11:11 PM
Connor raises an eyebrow when the Spriggan pops out of the bush. During the eight years or so since he became Hand he has seen more than his share of Wee Folk, yet even still their omnipresence occasionally caught him off guard. The long meandering rant however was not a surprise.

Not willing to wait for the Wild Fae to get to a relevant topic Connor marches over to his car. Kneeling over into the passenger side seat Connor begins rummaging through the glove compartment looking for something he always kept there. Ah ha! A box of donuts almost completely untouched!

Yes it's a cliche, a cop eating donuts, but there is a good reason for that. While out on a stakeout you'll inevitably want something to snack on, and donuts are simple and easy and will stay fresh for a fairly long time.

After making his way back to the bush and the little faeries within Connor brandishes the box invitingly. "I was hoping you might be able to supply a few more specifics."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-01, 11:33 PM
After making his way back to the bush and the little faeries within Connor brandishes the box invitingly. "I was hoping you might be able to supply a few more specifics."

"Eeeep!" The spriggan disappears back into the bush.

Andrew rolls his eyes and looks over at Connor. "Thanks for the treats. But I think our friends might be more comfortable if you backed off a little."

"He smells like silver!" There is a chorus of tiny agreements from unseen places in the hedge, and one of them blows a surprisingly loud raspberry.

Connor backs off and the bush seems to come alive, spreading its branches out and spearing the donuts, then ripping them to shreds and dragging them back into the dark depths. Andrew manages to whisk half of them away. The bush shakes like it's having an epileptic fit, then calms down with a deep burp.

The spriggan pokes her head out again. "If I tell you something good will you give me the rest of the donuts?"

At Andrew's solemn nod, she steps out onto the sidewalk. "There were some Nain here making a lot of noise last night. They were annoying uglyface pissypants, so he called the cops! He was always doing that, even though we liked it when the Nain made music. It's so much better than that boring dead stuff you hear on the teevee. But instead of the cops," she pauses dramatically, then throws up her arms and yells. "Some lutins came and took them away! It was a huge party, we helped by throwing leaves at them and dancing on the rooftop. But now the music is gone and we haven't seen them come back." She looks downcast for a second. "But we can still have fun! Look, I ate a bug!"

She dances around with glee before remembering the promised donuts. "So can I has donut please?"

Andrew is pensive. Nain could mean almost anything, it's a word that the little folk use for anything bigger than them that isn't sidhe, fairie, or mortal. Lutin is more specific. They are fae, and a type of elf or dwarf (the two are related). Usually wildfae, but often servants of Summer.

If this was a Summer job, his life will get a lot more complicated. If that's the case the area should still have the scent of Summer about it. Time to look around on the property.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-01, 11:53 PM
Suppressing a small sigh at this news, Andrew places the doughnuts down quickly before taking several quick steps away from bush as it begins to gorge itself on the remaining food. "Thanks for the help, at least." He says to the spriggan as she vanishes back into the bush after the doughnuts, looking back towards Connor, "That's something to go on. I've got some sweets if you can think up anything else to ask them, but otherwise we should probably start taking a look around."

And with that, he heads in the direction of the front door.

Sanguine
2012-11-02, 01:31 AM
Connor cuts in front of Andrew as the young squire make his way to the house. "No offense, but you don't really know what you are doing, I'd rather get a good look at things before you disturb the scene. In the mean time try and find out where the "lutins" went. But keep your ears open, if there's an ambush waiting for me I'm gonna want some magical support."

His piece said Connor makes a slow methodical trek to the front door, taking in every sight a long the way and occasionally leaning down and gently moving something to get a better look. Once he finally makes his way to the door he grabs the handle of the door and twists. After all he has plenty of probable cause, sure the testimony of tiny Faeries won't exactly hold up if Internal Affairs looks into the matter, but with time at a premium he's not gonna waist any on covering his ass.

Investigation Roll, not sure if this will cover looking both inside, which I plan to do if the doors unlocked, and out, if not just outside for now.

[roll0]+4

Edit: Reroll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14156755#post14156755)

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 01:44 AM
Connor makes a slow methodical trek to the front door, taking in every sight a long the way and occasionally leaning down and gently moving something to get a better look.

The trek up to the front door turns out to be more interesting than Connor had thought, and stranger. The lawn really is pretty well manicured, with nicely trimmed grass and evenly spaced sprinklers dotting the yard. This only makes the patches of overgrown grass and weeds even more noticeable, and Connor realizes that this isn't the strangest thing about them. The overgrown patches seem to exist in several distinct lines or trails leading from various places outside the yard and converging near the entrance to the garage. And each patch of overgrowth is in the shape of a small human foot, maybe a child's.

Further examination doesn't yield any clues as to their nature. It looks technically possible that someone shaped their lawn in this way deliberately, trimming the grass around this pattern of prints to make some obscure art noveau lawn statement, but it seems unlikely. Very unlikely. This feels a lot more like the doing of something from the freaky side.

Finally moving up to the door, Connor finds it locked. It has a fancy glass window, and he can't see any signs of life from within the dark building, but he can feel the faint tingle of an average-strength threshold through his silver arm. Whoever lives in and owns this house, at least they are still alive.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 01:54 AM
Looking about frantically, Yin realized that someone was approaching the door to leave. The door to the room she came in through was still open, but too far away for her to reach before he came out. There was no time left to think, just enough time to act, and the door handle was already turning!

The door opening, the thug stepped out and idly looked down the hallway before shutting the door behind him and beginning to head off on whatever job he was on. Meanwhile Yin desperately pushed against both sides of the wall with her hands and feet, back against the ceiling as she watched the man apparently known as Mark begin to take off. Of course, she knew she had no choice but to follow him.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 02:14 AM
Of course, she knew she had no choice but to follow him.

Mark turns out to be well-built guy in his thirties or forties, with close-cropped hair and a messed up left ear. Yin immediately pegs him as ex-military or ex-law enforcement. He's also wearing a gun belt with some kind of pistol in a holster at his side.

Once he leaves her line of site, she drops silently down from the ceiling like a kung fu spider cat ninja. It's times like these that make a lifetime of grueling training, and not going to slumber parties like all the cool girls in class, totally worthwhile.

She pads to the door to the stairwell and catches it just before it clicks shut. Glancing through the open crack, she sees Mark open the door to ground level and leave the stairwell. She slips through the door and vaults the handrail, landing again in time to catch the closing door silently before it shuts itself. She gives Mark a moment to make it down the hall before she looks through the crack, to minimize her chance of being seen.

Her suspicion was correct, her instincts once again vindicated. These jerks are up to something sinister by the sound of that conversation, and guys like Mark don't walk around with guns and recruit more muscle to supervise the new printing of "Racist Scumbags Weekly". She is on to something here, and the thought of making someone pay for the tragedy at the bar is enough to make her smile in anticipated vindication.

That should be enough time to let him go. She opens the door wider and, indeed, the gunman is out of sight. Slipping through the doorway she moves silently into the hall and begins making her way to the lobby-

"Hey, I thought I was the only one still here." Yin freezes in shock. She recognizes that voice. Turning around, she sees the muscular man leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the door from the direction of the front entrance, placed so that she couldn't see him when she was peeking through the door. He has a cigarette in his hand that he is just lighting up. He looks surprised, but not alarmed.

So much for kung fu spider cat ninja.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 02:26 AM
Yin spun around, grinning as she saw the man smoking the cigarette. She held up a ring of keys and jangled them a little, "Oh, just closing up for the night. Just got the night shift at the 'Jolly Good Yarn'. Haven't seen you around the building, though you don't really strike me as the kind of guy who buys yarn, so not that surprising."

She did her best to be charming, knowing that while this guy wasn't likely to look favorably on her because of her race, he was still a guy. Brushing some hair out of her face and batting her lashes, she did her best to avoid seeming suspicious by.. well.. hitting on the guy, "Good to know there's a big, strong, man around getting off work the same time I do. You know, if you're not too busy sometime, I'd love to get a drink. I'd do it tonight, but I got to get home and feed Mr. Fluffynutters."

Continuing to smile and be coy, even going the extra step to check him out and reminding herself to vomit when she was done here. All she could hope for was that the blood would start flowing in the wrong direction, and he'd buy it.

Sanguine
2012-11-02, 02:40 AM
The path of overgrown plants was fascinating, clearly supernatural, but Connor had no idea what could have caused it. Connor's not exactly the most erudite person when it comes to supernatural critters that he hasn't directly encountered before; though admittedly between his work for the Tuatha and his growing up in O'Reilly's that was a smaller list than for most people, even those who count themselves members of the supernatural community. He'd have to remember to point it out to Andrew later.

When the front door turns out to be locked Connor briefly considers smashing the window with his silver arm. He quickly discards the idea for being loud and because it would inconvenience someone who had done nothing wrong. Besides following the trail of supernaturally grown plants will probably be more fruitful.

So heading into the open garage Connor pulls his pistol from his shoulder-holster and begins searching the garage just as meticulously as he had previously searched the yard.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 02:41 AM
"Good to know there's a big, strong, man around getting off work the same time I do. You know, if you're not too busy sometime, I'd love to get a drink. I'd do it tonight, but I got to get home and feed Mr. Fluffynutters."

"Wait a minute." The guy isn't looking too pliable or trusting, right now. He straightens up. It wouldn't be obvious to everyone, but Yin also notices that he adjusts his balance and stance to a subtle, but very stable, fighting stance. He outclasses Yin by probably a hundred pounds, and a fight would not be the first option here. Plus he has a gun. And technically, Yin is breaking and entering.

"You say you work here? Let me see those keys."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 02:52 AM
So heading into the open garage Connor pulls his pistol from his shoulder-holster and begins searching the garage just as meticulously as he had previously searched the yard.

It looks like it's set up for band practice. Posters for iconic Seattle bands, including one from Gumiho's performance at last year's Winterfest, are plastered all over the walls. The amps are plugged in and humming softly, and mikes and guitars are set up, jacked in, and ready to go. The only thing missing is . . . people.

There are a few small cracks in the concrete of the floor, with thin green chutes peeking up from underneath, but nothing like the defined footprints that Connor found outside. There is a pile of wrappers in the corner on a table, and three half-eaten sandwiches. They all have a tinge of mold over them, though they must have been left here yesterday, at the latest.

During his investigation, nothing else seems disturbed or missing, save for a few odd exceptions. And ipod lies on the ground, its screen shattered. In the back of the room, an old-fashioned boombox with a CD player built in has been smashed to bits. Nearby, the collection of CDs has been thoroughly destroyed. Connor takes a moment to open a few cases and examine their contents. Every one has been snapped into at least two pieces, in some instances with the case undamaged, as though someone went through the entire collection and broke the discs, then placed them back in their case and then back on the shelf.

The same is true of a vinyl player and a stack of classic records half hidden in an old trunk. It is in here that Connor finds the final clue; a sharpened bit of copper-colored metal shaped like a point or an arrowhead. It appears to have snapped off inside the mechanism of the record player from whatever tool was used to destroy it.

Unsure of the significance of what he has found, he at least knows that he's searched the place as well as he is able.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 03:15 AM
"Sure thing!"

Yin kept grinning, but she was already aware that things weren't going to go well now. Holding up the keys, she jingled them again and then, with lightning fast reflexes, threw a punch directly at the man's throat. When that caught him off guard, she spun about and kicked him upside the head before moving into a defensive stance, "Well damn, you really are tough. Alright, let's go, big guy."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 03:23 AM
"Well damn, you really are tough. Alright, let's go, big guy."

Mark grins and brings his fists up in front of his face. He rolls his neck, cracking tendons audibly, and gets to the balls of his feet, like a boxer.

He moves in quickly with a fake jab and a brutally powerful haymaker, but he has underestimated his opponent severely. Yin sees the fake coming from a mile away and shifts at just the right second, using her opponent's momentum against him and suckering him into throwing off his own balance in a vain attempt to get his blow to connect. She sees his eyes widen in shock as she turns to deliver her own counter.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 03:34 AM
And now it was Yin who was grinning, sliding out of the way of his punch and throwing Mark of balance. Flush with pride, the demon hunter even whirled her arm around like they did in cartoons before swinging and connecting against his cheek with a hard strike, "Come on, big guy, is that all you got?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 03:38 AM
"What kind of karate bull**** is this," he roars. Whirling around in classic pissed-off bad guy fashion, he tries to catch Yin with a sloppy backhand. She moves smoothly out of the way. She can see that her blows are beginning to tell, and the big man is slowing down.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 03:52 AM
Yin continues to glide with grace and ease away from every one of his attacks, responding to this next one by lifting her knee and then kicking him right in the face! She notices that he's not looking too good, actually beginning to chuckle, "Wow, I'm just.. I'm actually feeling sorry for you here, Mark. And you're a racist! I mean.. just think about that. That takes real effort to suck on your part."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 03:55 AM
"Wow, I'm just.. I'm actually feeling sorry for you here, Mark. And you're a racist! I mean.. just think about that. That takes real effort to suck on your part."
"aserfx znfi adol fnm akskj!" Yin is sure that whatever he said is full of ignorance and pg-13 language, but the effect is sort of lost when the person can't pronounce it through their own blood and broken teeth.

His actions speak for themselves, though. He pulls out the pistol at his hip and aims it at Yin, squeezing off a round at with a slightly crazed grin on his ugly face.

Fortunately, his injuries do more than make his face look funny. Yin dodges to the side faster than he can react, and the shot goes wide.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-02, 10:18 AM
"The . . . Lady." He gets quiet and stops struggling. Then he shrieks. "No, I don't believe in you! Just a story! A lie! I found real power, but there wasn't enough!"

He didn't like the sound of that, but it seems that you struck a nerve. You might be able to intimidate him. Or you could roll scholarship/lore to try and make some sense of some of his ramblings. Marked by power definitely applies to social skill rolls here.

"hey, c'mon, what do you mean by 'real power'? what's more powerful than the Lady of the Rain?" As victor says this, he is racking his brain for anything that would qualify
I guess I'll go with scholarship, which is great for me. so [roll0] 1success, 1 failure. So, I got a "Great" success on my scholarship roll

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 10:44 AM
Pressing her advantage ruthlessly, Yin reverses the dodge instantaneously and comes up inside the woozy man's guard. With one arm she bats at his gun hand, forcing the muzzle of the gun to point far away from her. Then, because only a fool doesn't take the gifts an enemy gives to you, she drives a last decisive elbow into the back of the large man's head, which is still a little loose from the last punishing blow she dealt him.

He drops like a sack of rice, landing splayed on the floor with a whuff of expelled air and the clatter of the gun skittering across the floor.

Yin laughs to herself in pure victory. A hundred pounds on her and solid as a gorilla linebacker, and she still took him apart like he was a hapless example-thug at a self-defense class. Kara could have put up a better fight than him, for heaven's sake!

"Don't take this personally," she says as she leans over and begins searching the wheezing body, "but I guess I'll have to take that offer for a drink back. I don't like it when guys get all 'handsy', and Mr. Fluffynutters will be upset that you kept me here late."

Her search is rewarded by a folded up printout in the man's back pocket. At a glance, it seems to be google directions to a place on the North end of Harbor Island. Only about a mile away, as the crow flies, but more than twice that through the turns of Seattle's streets and bridges. Given the conversation she overheard upstairs, this would probably be the place where they are holding whoever it is they have taken.

Couldn't ask for a better invitation.

Then Yin hears feet pounding down the staircase as someone comes to investigate the sound of the gunshot. With a glance up and down the hallway, Yin realizes that she is about equal distance from the front and back public entrances to the building. And as much fun as this was, she probably wants to skip round 2 if she wants to get to the docks in time to help out.

Meanwhile, at the hospital.

The disturbed youth continues twisting and spitting, clearly upset by the mention of the Lady of the Rains. But where before he was unfocused and babbling, now his eyes are scared and staring directly at Victor. It might not be exactly what he wanted, but at least he's gotten the kid to respond to him. Now is there any way that he could use that to get more information out of the kid? And what about his mental state - his file said he was poor and desperate, but probably not insane. Coming off a high from only a few hours ago means this can't be withdrawal, but he also doesn't have enough in his system anymore for this to be a bad trip.

Or is this all just a waste of time, after all?

At the scene of Kettlebug's abduction.

Connor comes out of the garage with a lot more information, but no more answers. Maybe Andrew will have something to say about it all, the guy seems to be pretty close to the wee folk around these parts.

Andrew waits patiently by the car, knowing that the detective has more experience with this kind of thing than he does. But that bit of dread from hearing that Summer might be involved is still gnawing at him. He doesn't have anything personally against them, but he knows that they won't feel the same if they find him meddling in one of their schemes. Summer and Winter mix as well as fire and ice. If he goes up against them, somebody probably won't be going home.

He hopes that the lutins work for someone else, it happens often among the wildfae. Connor comes out of the garage and nods, seeming to give Andrew the Ok to come up and take his look around. Time to brush off those Unseelie powers, there's magic afoot and it's his turn to take a crack at it.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 10:51 AM
"hey, c'mon, what do you mean by 'real power'? what's more powerful than the Lady of the Rain?" As victor says this, he is racking his brain for anything that would qualify


"Nono, they wouldn't share, don't you see? It's like the invaders all over again, but this time they are our own blood and they still horde it all for themselves and think themselves so keen! But I've tasted apples now, and they aren't so special after all." He grins and giggles, then leans forward to snap his jaws at Victor as though he wishes he could take a bite.

Victor isn't an expert, of course, but this seems more like a psychotic break than pangs of a druggie. And again, without a consultation from a professional, he can't say this for certain, but the surest way to get someone to break like this kid has is through magic. Dark, mind-shattering magic. Even used with good intentions, victims of a mind-invading creature that warps someone else's personalities into something they are not end up looking like this sooner or later. In poor Strongback's case, it seems to be sooner.

Could this have something to do with that skin-walker that was in the car? It has been said that the power is heavily addictive and messes with its users' minds. Or could this be the influence of whatever force it is that masterminded the attack?

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 01:26 PM
Hearing the sound of more bad guys approaching, Yin quickly goes through his pockets one last time, fishing out his keys. She listens carefully, presses the little unlock button on the key, but frowns as she doesn't hear anything except the feet pounding down the stairs towards her. Getting up, she glances quickly again at each end of the hallway before deciding to head for the back exit, hoofing it as fast as she can while also attempting to lock and unlock the car again to see if she can't still hear it.

Still, if she couldn't find the guy's car, she had plenty of experience getting from place to place in Seattle on foot. It might have to do this time too.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 01:31 PM
Getting up, she glances quickly again at each end of the hallway before deciding to head for the back exit, hoofing it as fast as she can

The back door opens with a bang, as Yin has abandoned stealth at this point. She immediately notices two things. One, a greenish Dodge flatbed truck parked across the alley is yelping an answer to the keychain button she just pressed. Two, there is a man in a private security uniform speaking into a radio about 10 feet to her left, with a semiautomatic pistol in his hand. The trashcan she noisily moved is nearby, apparently the object of his interest until he heard the gunshot. His body language is panicked, and actually drops the radio as Yin bursts out the rear exit. In the darkness she can't see his face very well, and hopes that means he can't see much of her, either.

"F-f-f-f-freeze!" He exclaims, bringing the sidearm to bear.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 02:20 PM
Yin didn't waste a second, simply turning on her heel and racing down the alleyway towards the truck. She ducked and dived a bit, to make sure she wasn't an easy target and certainly not wanting to get shot, though she never did hear anyone fire for which she was quite grateful. Reaching the truck, she yanked the door open, threw herself in, started it and drove like a bat out of hell away from the Joshua Building.

When she was fairly convinced that no one was following her, she slowed down to a more reasonable speed and began checking the map, following the directions toward Harbor Island and breathing a sigh of relief. Tonight hadn't exactly gone as expected, but there was still plenty of time for it to get a hell of a lot worse. But Yin knew full well that she couldn't just let this pass, she had to figure out what the KoL was up to and, very likely, put a stop to it before someone else was hurt.

Still... from what she had heard of the their conversation when she had been eavesdropping, it seemed that the KoL hadn't been involved in the attack on O'Reilly's. If that was the case, then who really was?

"Tonight's just getting better and better."

Sanguine
2012-11-02, 02:37 PM
Right before Andrew makes his way to the garage Connor stops him and says. "Before you go do your thing I've got some questions. Do you know of anything that causes plants to grow up in its footsteps, would go out of it's way to destroy every piece of recorded music in a room while leaving the actual instruments intact, and that uses copper or bronze tools?" Pulling the broken off metal point out of his pocket and tossing it at Andrew he continues. "And most importantly. Could you use that to track it?"

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-02, 03:00 PM
"okay, this is going nowhere. I don't know enough about magic to figure out what or who could be causing this. But maybe there is somebody in my roledex who does" With this, Victor starts scrolling through his contacts, looking for a consulting wizard

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 05:42 PM
Yin knew full well that she couldn't just let this pass, she had to figure out what the KoL was up to and, very likely, put a stop to it before someone else was hurt.

Still... from what she had heard of the their conversation when she had been eavesdropping, it seemed that the KoL hadn't been involved in the attack on O'Reilly's. If that was the case, then who really was?

"Tonight's just getting better and better."

It's only a few minutes to the location on the map, but it's a nerve-racking trip as she half expects police sirens or a racing car full of angry skinheads to pull up behind her at any moment. Her drive is uneventful though, and she crosses the bridge and turns North along the abandoned streets of the shipping areas of Harbor Island.

Structures are actually pretty few and far between here, their normal place in the city taken instead by acres upon acres of labyrinthine stacks of huge metal shipping containers. The map has directions to a parking lot as well as a designation for a shipping container about 150 yards into the maze. It looks like Yin will have to find that last one herself. Pulling slowly past the lot in case there is someone on lookout, she notices half a dozen cars clustered together in one of the corners of the lot. Two men are smoking nearby, and watch her as drives on past as though she had somewhere else to be.

She doesn't know if they are involved in this whole thing or just drew a crappy shift, but there is no point in taking chances. She finds a secluded spot a quarter mile away to park the big truck, then takes a moment to get her bearings.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 06:04 PM
Turning off the truck, she slips out and shuts the door as quietly as possible before beginning to approach the area. She kept the map in hand, the shipping container designation still likely to be important. Of course, given that she had no idea if these shipping containers were even organized in any way she could understand, she'd just have to search until she found the right one. It didn't help that there was a gang of possible bad guys nearby that she might have to deal with. But the night wasn't bound to last forever, and so she picked up her pace.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 06:26 PM
"Before you go do your thing I've got some questions. Do you know of anything that causes plants to grow up in its footsteps, would go out of it's way to destroy every piece of recorded music in a room while leaving the actual instruments intact, and that uses copper or bronze tools?"
The footsteps of verdant growth clinch it: these are elves, also known as lutins, though the the two terms are slightly distinct. As in all things related to the fae it gets complicated, and there are many varieties and factions within what people call "elves", but the variety in question here is pretty clear.

Lutins cause grass to grow in their footsteps and are known for their use of bronze weapons and arrows. They were apparently once favored servants of Summer, but have since fractured and split. Now the majority owe their allegiance to no court, and are particularly active as what amounts to mercenaries in the NeverNever. Personally they aren't as powerful as the sidhe, and command little of their mystical heft, but they are deadly in numbers and make cunning use of a limited proficiency with illusions and millennia of experience at stealth and tracking. They can be terrifying foes to the unprepared, and are especially fond of abductions and mean-spirited pranks.

The music-smashing thing is new to Andrew, though. Lutins supposedly love music, and indeed have tricked talented musicians in the past into wasting their lives away playing for the lutins and other fairy spirits in a never-ending party. They need a hold on a mortal to do this, though, like any other fae. It seems unlikely that all these groups could have owed a band of lutins such a grave debt unrelatedly; something more is at work than a group of music-loving elves. Unfortunately, if the destruction of all the music players and CDs is a clue as to the identity of this greater force, Andrew doesn't know what it means.


"And most importantly. Could you use that to track it?"Thaumaturgy. Andrew can manage some quick and dirty rituals, but it's never been a strong suit of his. With a quiet place and a few minutes to prepare, maybe he could get a signal that would point them in the right direction. A few ritual implements would help, as well. The answer to that question is a resounding "maybe", but there is only one way to know for sure.

One last thing to do, then. Andrew closes his eyes in concentration and reaches out with his mind. He has heard some people describe this as opening their third eye, but again he never got fully accredited in magical mumbo-jumbo. Parting the veil and looking into infinity isn't something he quite has the trick of yet. Instead, he gets vague impressions about his surroundings, and especially their mystical underpinnings, which he has varying amounts of success interpreting.

This time it manifests as tastes. He somehow knows as he closes his eyes that the taste of Summer's power would be like freshly baked bread with a big pat of melting butter spread onto it. Warm and fluffy and utterly inviting.

Winter is like a chilled ice glass of sour lemonade on a hot day, so cold that it hurts your teeth but so refreshing that you can't help but down the whole glass and suffer through brain freeze.

He isn't expecting the latter, and is afraid of finding the former. What he finds isn't either. It's like biting into a crisp leaf of lettuce around a spring roll filled with chilled asian noodles and little bits of meat. He snaps his eyes open in shock. That was unexpected. Closing his eyes and easing his senses back out, the sensation returns.

Whatever it is, it definitely isn't Summer. He would say that it's just some bizarre reaction to a band of wildfae with no Court affiliation, but that doesn't seem right either. It's like a piece of Summer and Winter, but something that is neither at the same time. It certainly has power though, and purpose. Whatever is commanding these lutins, it isn't some punk sidhe outcast with a few minions at his control. To ping his senses so vividly, it must be something big, and something old. Something with power to rival that of Maeve, the Winter Lady, perhaps.

Any more than that he cannot say. Opening his eyes he sees Connor staring at him with an expression of controlled impatience. Well, this will be hard to describe!

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 06:51 PM
But the night wasn't bound to last forever, and so she picked up her pace.

Eventually she gets the hang of the numbering system, sort of. Enough to narrow down the search anyway, which means that she knows when she is getting close and is on high alert by the time she hears voices coming from around the corner. Slowing down, she slips through a narrow passage between two containers. She can see three men clustered around a few smaller crates. One of them is pacing distractedly in front of a big, rusty container that looks like it's been here a while. The number is visible occasionally as the man's flashlight illuminates the direction of his manic glare. It's a match.

The other two men are playing cards by the light of a Coleman electric camping lantern. She waits a few minutes, trying to work out a plan. Her patience is rewarded when one of the sitting men speaks to the nervous guy. "Calm down, nobody is coming here. You think those guys want their grandpappy to end up in the ocean?"

"I told you, Mark got taken out! Somebody knows what we are doing, and is coming after us. We should just dump it and get the hell out of here."

"That's not the plan. If the family doesn't take the deal, then we get rid of the evidence. But they'll pay. These c***** go crazy about family."

"What a way to treat your granddad though! I'll be happy when every one of the freaks is gone and decent folk can make a living again." The other card-player spits to emphasize his point.

"Just stop playing cards and stay on the lookout. No telling how desperate they might be getting! Don't go far and maintain radio contact, and tell Montrose and the other new guy to stay in contact too!"

The two mutter, but stand and grab a shotgun and a hunting rifle, respectively. They walk sullenly in Yin's direction, but pass without so much as a glance. "his damn radio contact up his ass . . ." you here as they march by.

This must be the nervous guy your pal back at HQ was talking to. He is holding a pistol himself, and looking nervously into the night as he paces continuously.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 07:21 PM
Victor starts scrolling through his contacts, looking for a consulting wizard

Alexander Ramsey, former apprentice of the White Council and current resident of Seattle's underground, arrives at the ambulance entrance to the hospital in a warm coat and with a wooden rod at his side. "Victor," he says. "How do you want to do this? I don't want anyone to suffer because my magic interfered with their medical equipment."

Victor marvels once again at the power of an outstanding favor and tries to work out the logistics of a wizard consult in a 21st century hospital.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 07:57 PM
Yin crouched down, waiting until the two armed men were out of sight. She briefly glanced down at her 'WWBMD' wristband, grumbling very softly, "He'd use sleeping gas grenades and batarangs and grappling hooks.. I wish I was a billionaire."

Moving carefully through the shadows, she closed in on the one thug that had been left alone. Unfortunate for him, because Yin planned to knock his ass out so fast he wouldn't have a chance to see it coming. Coiling, ready to strike, she pounced forward, stepped on her own shoe lace and fell on the ground with an audible "Oof!"

Eyes going wide as she looked up at the guard who was quickly reaching for his radio, she spun around and kicked his feet out from under him, knocking him over and, thankfully, causing the radio to fall out of his hand before he could alert the rest of the guards to their presence. Now all she had to do was avoid getting shot to death and this night would be right back on track!

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 08:07 PM
Now all she had to do was avoid getting shot to death and this night would be right back on track!

This guy looks more like an accountant than a white supremacist, though Yin supposes the two aren't mutually exclusive. His gun is still in his hand but the radio is too far for him to grab, and he resorts to what is clearly his strongest remaining gambit.

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH"
for enemies to hear his call:
[roll0]
Yin isn't sure if they can hear him, but between the densely packed containers and the man's reedy little voice, she figures she still has a chance that nobody else knows she is here. Better take care of him before he figures out that a gunshot is a great way to let people know you need help, though.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-02, 08:23 PM
"Before you go do your thing I've got some questions. Do you know of anything that causes plants to grow up in its footsteps, would go out of it's way to destroy every piece of recorded music in a room while leaving the actual instruments intact, and that uses copper or bronze tools?"
Andrew nods, scratching his head slightly as he speaks, "Ah, well. I'm pretty certain that the footsteps are from the 'Lutins' the spriggan mentioned - they're basically elves, and they fairly well known for using bronze weapons, and for doing mercenary work since they left the Summer Court. Abduction is pretty usual for them, but smashing up all of that stuff? That's not normal for them."

"And most importantly. Could you use that to track it?"
"I can. I think. It's not something I'm all that skilled in, it's not all that easy, and more importantly," He hesitates, looking away uncomfortably, "I'm not entirely sure if I should. Whatever the Lutins are working for, it's pretty much definitely out of my league. But we're not going to get anywhere if I don't, so..." He trails off, looking back to Connor under the assumption that he will make the decision.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 08:31 PM
Yin glares when the man yells, not overly happy with his attempts to alert his friends that she's here, "Stop shouting!"

She breaks the racist accountant's nose, shuts him up, and knocks him unconscious all in one punch. Grabbing the gun from him, she climbs to her feet and dusts herself off, "It's rude."

Sanguine
2012-11-02, 08:37 PM
Connor takes barely a moment to consider. "I don't know what is taking these people or if we'll be able to handle it. What I do know is that there are innocent people in danger and that we are the only people trying to help them. I can't and won't let fear rip these people's last hope from them. We cast the spell."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 08:39 PM
Grabbing the gun from him, she climbs to her feet and dusts herself off, "It's rude."

The radio squawks a few feet away. "Goddamn, Jake, what the hell are you going on about this time?" The person on the other side sounds more exasperated than concerned, his voice distorted enough by the cheap radio that it's hard to tell who is talking . . .

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-02, 09:00 PM
Alexander Ramsey, former apprentice of the White Council and current resident of Seattle's underground, arrives at the ambulance entrance to the hospital in a warm coat and with a wooden rod at his side. "Victor," he says. "How do you want to do this? I don't want anyone to suffer because my magic interfered with their medical equipment."

Victor marvels once again at the power of an outstanding favor and tries to work out the logistics of a wizard consult in a 21st century hospital.
"you'll be fine. Just walk in a straight line and go into the room. SO long as you don't get emotionally stimulated, you should be fine. it isn't large scale, criminal ward, the guy isn't on life support, and he has his own room."

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 09:18 PM
Yin eyed the radio for a moment before picking it up and turning it on. She'd heard the guys voice, and tried her best to mimic it, hoping that the crappy radio would help cover up for the fact that she wasn't this fellow named Jake, "Uh.. uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 09:40 PM
"you'll be fine. Just walk in a straight line and go into the room. SO long as you don't get emotionally stimulated, you should be fine. it isn't large scale, criminal ward, the guy isn't on life support, and he has his own room."

Alexander shrugs and makes his way to the staircase. It's on the 14th floor, so it's quite the climb. He says the elevator is a bad idea.

Walking into the ward, the cop on duty eyes him. "Odd family you folks have got," he says to Victor.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 09:46 PM
Yin eyed the radio for a moment before picking it up and turning it on. She'd heard the guys voice, and tried her best to mimic it, hoping that the crappy radio would help cover up for the fact that she wasn't this fellow named Jake, "Uh.. uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."

There is a moment of crackling silence, then the voice speaks again. "Well try not to shoot if you see another rat, at least. You'll just miss the damn thing anyway, and we can't have the harbormaster wandering what the hell we are really up to down here."

There is laughter in the background, which is cut off as the transmission ends. Yin breathes a sigh of relief and looks back to the rusty old shipping container. It's padlocked, but a quick search of the unconscious (and bleeding) Jake, who nobody seems to love, reveals the key.

She opens the door, ready to deal with any kind of gruesome sight - and finds it empty. Well, not empty. There are stacks of fileboxes everywhere, and a few vases and bits of furniture and dead potted plants that look like they might have been taken from an office. A few years ago.

Is there someone further inside, maybe behind some of the clutter? She can't tell from where she is, and it's pitch dark inside anyway except for the bluish glow coming from the lamp behind her.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-02, 10:02 PM
"look. I'm legally next of kin. As per Washington state law, I'm allowed to bring in my own medical consultation should I feel the need to. And since he is clearly not able to move, The case of Walker V. the Texas Rangers states that I am allowed to have my next of kin benefits apply to the consulation, in this instance, the person standing next to me." Victor seems to be talking rather pointedly to the guard, hoping he won't look to closely at any of those laws. Thankfully, he has learned that most people don't, so long as somebody in a suit is telling them.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 10:17 PM
Alexander nods and tries to look doctorly. The officer on duty frowns, then rolls his hand in a "very well, get along with it" gesture and stands aside. As Alexander passes the cop's eyebrows raise again at the sight of the thick wooden shaft at his side.

"I really don't want to know what medical purpose that is for, Doc," he says.

Inside the room, Strongback is still struggling, but more subdued than he was the first time Victor walked in. Alexander looks at him a few moments, then addresses Victor without turning to face him. "What can you tell me about him before I examine him more thoroughly?"

Victor fills in the broad strokes, mentioning the skin-walker and the possibility of mental control prominently. Alexander shakes his head. "Ugly business," he says.

Then with a deep breath, he becomes completely still. It's like watching a tai chi artist adopt a stance, though he is standing straight. He brings his forefinger up to touch his forehead, ever so slowly and deliberately, and opens his eyes.

The ceiling lights burst with a loud POP, and the monitor for Strongback's life support goes haywire. A loud single tone of a flatlining heart monitor fills the room, though Victor can see that the kid is still straining against his restraints and gnashing his teeth at the two men. The TV on the other side of the bed turns on and off, flashing images of the morning news which show a picture of the scene of the shooting from the night before, taken by helicopter.

Alexander falls to a knee and the TV stops flickering, and sparks stop falling from the ceiling. The monitor is still insisting that the gangster child is in cardiac arrest, and in a few moments the room will be swarming with nurses. "I need to get out of here," pants the suddenly exhausted wizard.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-02, 10:20 PM
Connor takes barely a moment to consider. "I don't know what is taking these people or if we'll be able to handle it. What I do know is that there are innocent people in danger and that we are the only people trying to help them. I can't and won't let fear rip these people's last hope from them. We cast the spell."

"Alright, then. Keep back though, if I screw it up then you won't want to be too close." He pulls out a candy bar from his pocket and begins to unwrap it, walking over to the bush and placing it down on the ground besides it - as the Spriggan appears outside, he explains to it how he'll give them even more candy if they will assist him with the spell he's preparing to cast, leading the spriggan and her friends over to the footprints.

After this, he walks back to Connor, takes the arrowhead from him and then heads over to the best grouped set of footprints, looks down at them and stops. Fumbling around inside his pockets once more, he places the arrowhead temporarily inside of them and pulls out a small stick of plain white chalk. Kneeling down, careful to avoid the footsteps, he draws a sizeable circle around the area he is stood in - flailing around a little to try and stop the Little Folk stepping outside of it.

Rooting around in his pockets again he pulls out another candy bar and the bronze arrowhead, he places the candy bar on the ground to distract the Little Folk temporarily and glances around to ensure everything is in place. Happy that he's managed to get everything into place, he closes his eyes and begins to draw upon his magic and the power of Winter, allowing it to guide him through the spell.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 10:23 PM
Yin turned off the radio and chuckled, opening up the cargo container and slipping inside. She blinked at first, not seeing anything worth all the armed guards. Of course, she couldn't really be certain of what all was in there. Pulling out her cell phone, she turned it on and made use of it as an improvised flashlight, "Is there anyone in here? Hello?"

She begins walking further in, moving slowly but steadily, keeping a careful eye out for anything. Especially for scary monsters.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 10:35 PM
Happy that he's managed to get everything into place, he closes his eyes and begins to draw upon his magic and the power of Winter, allowing it to guide him through the spell.

It doesn't look it yet, but the sun has risen in Seattle. The clouds have kept the appearance of night, and will for a few minutes yet, but in arcane terms it's a whole new day. Unseen by human eyes, the magic of the land awakens under the influence of a sun that doesn't need to be seen to be felt. Powers stir in the parks and waterways of the city, and on the streets and in the buildings as well. It doesn't look it, but the city of Seattle is as alive and vibrant in many ways as the temperate rainforest that surrounds it.

Not the ideal time for Winter magic, actually. Winter prefers decay and somnolence to bright starts and new beginnings, but the spell that Andrew is putting together is designed to power through that barrier and work anyway. The cloud cover helps. The water still on the ground from last night's rain doesn't, but it's Ok.

The power builds within the circle. The little fairies giggle as the currents of energy make the leaves on their heads stand on end, creating a laughing fairy circle of green afro chia pets dancing in unison around the young squire of Winter.

Frost spreads from the footprints in the circle, not touching the grass where it's overgrown but turning the rest of the manicured lawn into brittle little spears which the spriggans gleefully break.

Then the spell is ready, the power assembled. Andrew breaks the circle with an effort of will, and sends the power questing out into the world and the NeverNever. He expects a reaction, but not one so sudden. Deep green footprints blossom in a line leading from Andrew out into the street, then left and down the boulevard. This time the asphalt doesn't stop them; green moss bursts into being in the perfect shape of a footprint wherever the soil is hidden. The trail moves along as fast as Andrew could sprint, and there is no telling where it will take him if he follows it.

He does know that it will take him to these lutins, though. Against all odds, they appear to be here, in the mortal world.

And they are close.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-02, 10:35 PM
"okay, let's get you out of here." victor says, supporting the wizard on one shoulder.
To the guard as they pass, victor yells out "A Fuse must have shorted in there! All the electricity went haywire!"
Once they're outside, Victor starts talking to Alexander. "okay, the broken fuse line should probably cover us from the Authorities. But, I need to know, did you see anything in his mind that could be of use? Could you testify in court to prove that his mind had been tampered with?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 10:47 PM
"okay, the broken fuse line should probably cover us from the Authorities. But, I need to know, did you see anything in his mind that could be of use? Could you testify in court to prove that his mind had been tampered with?"

"Tampered with?" He lets out a bitter chuckle. "Yes. His mind has been tampered with. It's so screwed up that he might never come back. The drugs and violence were bad enough, but . . . "

"There is more to addiction than just substances. He is addicted to dark magic, this skin-walker sorcery you were talking about. If the artifact is really destroyed, he can't satisfy his craving ever again. The drugs were just a poor substitute for his real desire."

"It gets worse. All of that stuff just made him vulnerable to the true manipulation. It was violent and sickening," he pauses for a moment, looking like he may get sick. "I'm sorry, give me a moment."

The young wizard gains control of himself again while you wait. At least he doesn't look too out of place here outside the emergency room. "It was sickening but random. The damage from the addiction, I mean. But there was something else. Someone went into his head like a battering ram and forced him into carrying out that shooting. I don't know who or what, but whatever it is is twisted, insane. It's obsessed about something, and won't let anything get in the way. It's angry and lashing out."

"It targeted him because the drugs and the sorcery broke down his mental defenses. I have training in that . . ." he trails off and looks at you as though remembering who you are.

"Well, we all did in the Council. During the War, it became. . . necessary. And I can tell that whatever caused this damage, it's unsure. Just finding it's power." A grim expression steals across his face.

"But it's getting stronger."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 10:53 PM
She begins walking further in, moving slowly but steadily, keeping a careful eye out for anything. Especially for scary monsters.

No scary monsters. No people, either. Not much of anything really, except for dusty old boxes and crappy furniture.

They were definitely guarding this place, though. Yin double checks the number on the paper by phone-light and compares it to the door. Yes, this is the place. And it might be dark in the container, but not so dark that she could miss someone stashed there. What is going on?

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 10:57 PM
"Damn it. What are they guarding?"

Furrowing her brow and glaring as she so often loved to do, Yin simply began to searching everything. She opened boxes and sifted through them, searched through the furniture, checked every nook and cranny for something suspicious and worth being guarded by a bunch of heavily armed thugs. In fact, Yin decided that she wasn't going to leave that shipping container until she did find something!

Sanguine
2012-11-02, 11:06 PM
Connor is struck by a sense of wonder, tinged with the tiniest bit of jealousy, as he watches Andrew channel the mystical energies of his spell sending forth a trail of mossy footprints. As the footprints veer into the street and start to pick up speed Connor urges Andrew into the car and they take off in pursuit of the lutins.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 11:09 PM
In fact, Yin decided that she wasn't going to leave that shipping container until she did find something!

The boxes are full of pages and pages of printouts. Charts, account balances, back issues of their sick little newsletter, it's all there. Even if there was enough light to read it all it probably wouldn't mean much to Yin.

The furniture isn't any better. An old stuffed chair. Seized with the wild suspicion that something was inside the chair, Yin tears it apart and sifts through the fabric and stuffing for anything important.

It's a bunch of fabric and stuffing. Come to think of it, stashing something inside a chair inside a locked container surrounded by thugs on the end of a harbor is a little too paranoid, even for these guys.

The rest of the office accouterments isn't any better. A dead plant. A crappy table. A tacky Asian vase, like you could buy at a dozen places in Chinatown.

Wait, an Asian vase? In a storage locker for white supremacists' office crap?

She looks at it more closely. What she thought at first was crappy artistry is actually age. It isn't a tourist sucker's tchotchke, it's a legitimate antique.

And it isn't a vase, it's an urn.

As Yin is about to kick herself in realization of the meaning of the overheard conversations, a voice sounds out from the front of the container.

"Hey Ed," it says into a radio. The figure is pointing an ugly little pump shotgun at Yin, backlit by that damn Coleman lamp. "I think we caught ourselves a pretty little tresspasser."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 11:19 PM
Connor is struck by a sense of wonder, tinged with the tiniest bit of jealousy, as he watches Andrew channel the mystical energies of his spell sending forth a trail of mossy footprints. As the footprints veer into the street and start to pick up speed Connor urges Andrew into the car and they take off in pursuit of the lutins.

The trail of green footprints is faster than the two could probably keep up with on foot, but it's easy to follow in the car. Really easy in fact.

"Get out of the way!" A driver behind them honks his horn. And then again. And again.

He flashes a rude hand gesture as he finally manages to pass them when they turn left at a stop sign. The cars behind him, and there are quite a few, honk and yell as they pass by, too. Gotta love city traffic. Though this time, Connor is the one who caused it.

Man, he is driving like his grandmother.

Fortunately the trail seems to dislike the highway. It takes them further up the bluff, past the cute residential area and over the crest. Then they are following it down the other side, and towards the lake.

Could it be any faster?

Finally the footsteps make it to a gated private entrance to a community of houses built on the lake. Not on the shore, actually on the lake. Each house is actually a houseboat, and they are connected via a set of interlocking piers to each other and to the shore. The footsteps turn in circles a few times, then disappear in a poof of green leaves and dandelion fuzz.

Andrew curses in the passenger seat. "The water must have shorted the spell. But we're close. It must be on one of those houseboats."
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss317/SteelMirror/3962608251_d369539549_z.jpg

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-02, 11:42 PM
Victor looks at Alexander in disbelief "So we are dealing with something messed-up and powerful that will only become more messed up and powerful? Lovely. Look, I don't mean to sound callous, but I need to win this case. So, I need you to tell the shadow court what you just told me" he quickly scribbles the time and address of the trial onto a sheet of paper "Be here. If you give your testimony, it could prevent the supernatural scene from collapsing. And, I'll owe you one."
As he drives away, Victor realizes that he winning the case won't be enough. The lady of the Rains clearly wanted him to fix the problem. He also realizes that going against this threat alone would be stupid. So, taking his survival tips from one of his favorite movies, he heads to the pub.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-02, 11:47 PM
The shot goes off and Yin ducks for cover. A box of papers explodes and she gets grazed in the process, crying out as she covers her ears with her hands, "LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO! MY F$#%ING EARS! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LOUD IT IS WHEN YOU FIRE A WEAPON IN A CONFINED SPACE?!"

Gritting her teeth and clutching her, thankfully, nonfatal wound, Yin watched as he pumped another round in the chamber, "So.. uh.. I don't suppose we can talk about this?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-02, 11:52 PM
So, taking his survival tips from one of his favorite movies, he heads to the pub.

Calling ahead, he gets Patrick O'Reilly instead of the answering machine. Without asking for specifics, Old Man O'Reilly passes on his son's cell number and wishes Victor luck.

He makes the call, and Detective O'Reilly answers. He can hear the sounds of traffic and angry yells in the background. He must be caught in some pretty bad rush hour traffic. Victor looks around, and makes a mental note to avoid the 5 for the next hour or so.

The Detective sounds distracted, but eventually agrees to talk to Victor in person at a neighborhood on the lake. Victor checks his GPS - it's only a couple of miles away.

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-03, 12:10 AM
As victor drives around the boatyard, he eventually spots the cop and the young boy. Pulling up and parking, he looks at them with his trademark smirk
"so, you two need some help?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 12:17 AM
Yin waited until this new thug was as confident as he could get before she launched right at him. Throwing herself off the ground, she connected with a solid punch, though it wasn't enough to knock him out. Which only meant she had to move faster now as the shotgun-wielding jackass opened fire once more.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 12:27 AM
Which only meant she had to move faster now as the shotgun-wielding jackass opened fire once more.

The guy grunts but responds quickly and without panicking: a bad sign. Before the first ejected shell has stopped bouncing he fires again, this time missing Yin and scraping a patch of rust off the inside wall of the storage container. He keeps his hand on the radio and works the pump again, chambering another round.

Another fast jab and the thug takes an involuntary step back, trying to loose a blast point blank into Yin's face. It goes wide, but the barrel is so close to her face that it leaves her ears ringing and her head pounding.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 01:03 AM
Yin's wound wasn't exactly feeling great and she was quickly becoming worn out from dodging all of the shotguns being pointed in her face. Barely able to dodge the last one do to some mix of speed and the thug's own wounds interfering with his shot. So far all the damage had been superficial, but she knew full well this guy wanted her dead, could see it in his eyes. If she made even the slightest mistake she would die and no one would ever know what had happened to her. Growling in frustration and rage, she resolved to put him down before he could do the same to her.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 01:12 AM
Growling in frustration and rage, she resolved to put him down before he could do the same to her.

And that is exactly what she does. Channeling a burst of adrenaline fueled strength into a straight kick that is all speed, no subtlety, she slams into the guy's face and knocks him to the ground. His head bounces against the pavement and he is still, his fingers still wrapped around the radio and the shotgun.

Her ears still ringing and her body taught from her exertions, it takes a moment to hear the sounds of people yelling over the radio. She can hear them some distance away in the night, as well. It will only be a few seconds before they get here.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 01:18 AM
Wincing from her pounding head and her ringing ears, she does her best to try and shake it off. Of course, even over the ringing she can hear the shouts of the rest of the goons. Although Yin's first instinct is to run, she quickly remembers that there's a reason she came here in the first place. If the urn was even still intact, she would rush back in to grab it and then book it for the truck.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 01:24 AM
she quickly remembers that there's a reason she came here in the first place. If the urn was even still intact, she would rush back in to grab it and then book it for the truck.

The urn is intact, but those "Knights" are close on her heels and coming in from multiple directions. A combination of stealth, speed, and sheer luck are going to be needed to make it out of here in one piece.

Choosing the passage that seems least likely to lead to a pissed off hick with a boomstick, Yin takes off at a dead sprint, urn tucked under her arm like a running back heading for the endzone.

Don't spill, don't spill, she thinks. That would be embarrassing. Beat up half of the Knights of Whatever and get shot at 3 separate times in one night, then spill her rescued captive all over the docks.

She's off like a shot, but as she turns her second corner, she catches a flash of a man with a flashlight just down the aisle of stacked containers, less than 30 feet away. She can't get away before he gets off a single shot from his deer rifle, and her headlong charge brings her to the open street just in time for another guy with a revolver to come out from the direction of the parking lot. He fires off a quick snap shot as well before she manages to make it to the truck.

Shooting is one thing, though; hitting the sprinting girl through the maze of containers in the dark is another.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 02:28 AM
When she was safely away, she swung around and headed back towards the Joshua Building. Seeing that the place wasn't swarming with cops, she parked the truck outside and left the keys inside, having to make the rest of the way home on foot. Walking back to Chinatown while carrying an urn full of someone's ashes, she had plenty of time to think about what she was going to do next. Like how was she going to do on her test tomorrow since she'd spent her day fighting a gang of racists and rescuing a dead person in a jar instead of studying.

With a heavy sigh, she headed into her home, setting the urn on a table and leaving a note for her mother to make sure that it got back to whatever family it belonged to. From there, she stumbled to her room, flopped into bed, and hoped to lose herself in some sweet, candy-coated, chocolatey, crunchy-munchy sleep.

Sanguine
2012-11-03, 12:24 PM
After giving Victor a brief rundown of what they've learned so far Connor makes his way over to the resident-calling switchboard. After a brief look down the long list of addresses Connor pushes down the button for Security and waits for a response. Once the crackling voice comes in over the intercom inquiring about his call Connor puts every ounce of authority he's got into his response. "Good Morning, this is Detective Connor O'Reilly with the Seattle Police Department. I am currently working on a missing persons case and I have reason to believe that my missing persons have been on the premises within the last twenty-four hours. I am requesting access to the neighborhood so that I may continue my investigation."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 01:27 PM
"Good Morning, this is Detective Connor O'Reilly with the Seattle Police Department. I am currently working on a missing persons case and I have reason to believe that my missing persons have been on the premises within the last twenty-four hours. I am requesting access to the neighborhood so that I may continue my investigation."

"Police? Oh man! I'll be right down to the door sir, please wait a moment. Here, I'll buzz you in."

There is an electronic buzzing noise and the lock on the gate clicks open. About thirty seconds later, a slightly overweight man in his late twenties comes huffing from the door to what looks like the mail room, wearing a clean-pressed uniform with mustard stains around the collar.

He asks to see Connor's badge, then nods in acceptance when it's presented. He looks at Andrew and Victor in curiosity, but doesn't ask who they are. "Did you say missing persons? Is there any way I can help? Were they kidnapped? Tell me how I can be of assistance, officer! I mean, Detective!"

Sanguine
2012-11-03, 01:49 PM
Connor smiles amiably at the security guard and says in a matter-of-fact tone. "I'm afraid I can't share the details of an ongoing investigation. However if you could supply me with your security camera footage for the past twenty four hours, any logs you might have recording the people who entered the neighborhood during that time frame, and a list of all of this community's residents you would be doing a great service for your city."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 02:11 PM
"I'm afraid I can't share the details of an ongoing investigation. However if you could supply me with your security camera footage for the past twenty four hours, any logs you might have recording the people who entered the neighborhood during that time frame, and a list of all of this community's residents you would be doing a great service for your city."

The guard brightens up and looks like he's going to say something, then blanches. "Ummm, actually I'm not supposed to do that. I mean I can give you the list, but security footage is for internal use only and I'm not supposed . . . to share it . . . unless there has been a crime? Or if you have a warrant?" He looks apologetic, and a bit disappointed to have to say that to the detective.

Sanguine
2012-11-03, 02:29 PM
Connor frowns at the disappointed security guard. "That is quite unfortunate. With a case like this where every hour can be the difference between bringing someone home safely and finding a corpse I'd rather not take the time to secure a warrant." Especially as magic spells aren't going to convince any sane judge to grant me one and I'm not technically working an official case. "But I suppose it can't be helped. Hopefully the list will prove sufficient. I assume there is no problem with me taking a look around the grounds?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 02:35 PM
"I assume there is no problem with me taking a look around the grounds?"

"No sir! But," and he drops the volume of his voice a bit, "I've been here all night, and I'm here pretty much every night. I can probably help you if I know what you are looking for."

Sanguine
2012-11-03, 03:00 PM
Connor suppresses a sigh at the security guards conspiratorial "whisper". This was just what he needed, a rent-a-cop looking for some adventure. Still, he might be able to narrow down the search. Keeping his tone neutral Connor whispers back. "A group of five or more people, no less than two women and three men, would have come through here sometime in the past twenty-four hours and gotten onto one of the houseboats. Some of the people may have had thick make-up and dyed hair, but that isn't certain. I need to know which houseboat the group got on."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 03:14 PM
"A group of five or more people, no less than two women and three men, would have come through here sometime in the past twenty-four hours and gotten onto one of the houseboats. Some of the people may have had thick make-up and dyed hair, but that isn't certain. I need to know which houseboat the group got on."

The guard thinks hard for a moment. Looks difficult. The assembled investigators try not to break the silence as he thinks, wouldn't want the guy to strain himself.

"Nobody like that last night, I'm afraid. I mean we get all kinds around here, with parties and what now. But last night was quiet, no parties and mostly just the residents coming through. Although the Nowaks in berth 14 were having a 'good time' last night." He actually adds air quotes to those two words. "I think they were hanging out with MJ, if you know what I mean."

When nobody laughs or responds to his words, he adds helpfully, "That means they were smoking marijuana."

Sanguine
2012-11-03, 03:55 PM
Connor doesn't bother to suppress his sigh this time. It was too much to hope that the security guard would have seen something. The elves probably used a veil or some more mundane means of smuggling the band in, or maybe the guard was just incompetent. "Well that's unfortunate. If you could get me that list I would appreciate it. In the meantime I will do some poking around, and if I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask."

Taking his attention away from the security guard Connor takes several deep calming breaths communing with the seat of ancient power that existed within him and was embodied within his silver right arm. Connor had gained something all of those years ago when he became the Hand of the Tuatha De Danann. He wasn't sure if it was instinct, direct guidance, or some sort of Tuatha-sense; in all likelihood it was a bit of all three. But whatever it was he trusted it and right here right now he needed it. Letting this normally vague, subconscious, sense of where he needed to be guide him Connor headed to where he was needed.

I'm trying to use the Spiritual Guidance portion of Guide my Hand to make a fortuitous arrival at the correct boathouse.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 05:02 PM
A few hours seemed to pass in an instant, and with a grumble Yin slowly rolled out of bed and into a warm shower and a fresh change of clothes. The events of last night almost seeming like a crazy dream, though she knew better than that. The entire thing continued to nag at her, still. Apart from rescuing an urn, she hadn't managed to do anything to track down who had been behind the attack on the pub.

Coming downstairs, she found her mother and those cool, steely, eyes waiting for her, "Hey, Mom."

"Yin, the urn you found belongs to the Kanashima family. You'll deliver it to them after your class. Here's the address," Taking the note from her mother, she looked it over. It was a Doctor's office, near the east end of Chinatown.

"Uh, yeah. Sure thing. Thanks, Mom," Tucking the note away in her pocket, she started making her way towards the door.

"Oh, yes, a man named Andro left a message last night, asking if you and Kara were alright."

Yin couldn't help but smile, just a touch, "I'll call him back after class, but I've really got to go or I'll be late."

Finally escaping the Zhao home, Yin grabbed a bus to the University. She didn't run into Kara on her way to class or even when she got to class, something that normally didn't happen. Quickly shooting her friend a text to find out where she was, she hurried to her seat and began to work on her test.

She wasn't entirely sure why Kara and her had decided to take a class on British Literature. Maybe to try and be more cultured? But whatever the reason, it certainly hadn't provided her with the drive to study. By the time Yin finished, she was fairly certain she had bombed. Sure, she could've reviewed the answers, but there were more important things to do, like stopping evil and whatnot. A conciliatory little grumble was offered to herself as she set the paper on the professor's desk and then headed out.

Where the hell was Kara?

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 10:48 PM
She wasn't entirely sure why Kara and her had decided to take a class on British Literature. Maybe to try and be more cultured? But whatever the reason, it certainly hadn't provided her with the drive to study. By the time Yin finished, she was fairly certain she had bombed. Sure, she could've reviewed the answers, but there were more important things to do, like stopping evil and whatnot. A conciliatory little grumble was offered to herself as she set the paper on the professor's desk and then headed out.

Where the hell was Kara?

On the way out of the building, Yin hears people chatting idly, in some cases excitedly, about the shooting last night. Apparently one of the bands that had played at the bar before the attack was made up of students who go to the University. All anyone can talk about is how lucky they are to be alive, and how heroic it is that one of them skipped his British literature test on the "pagan origins of masculinity in A Midsummer Night's Dream" to visit the injured victims in the hospital.

Life is so ridiculously unfair.

Yin checks her phone, and Kara still hasn't responded to her text. She ponders the urn in her bag, and her mysteriously absent friend. She should really return the urn to its rightful place with the Kanashimas - but he's been dead for probably a hundred years, and he's probably used to waiting. Kara is missing now, and while she is capable of taking care of herself, Yin is a little worried about her given the events of last night.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 11:09 PM
Yin sighed, glancing back at her bag, "How many times did I risk my life trying to save you last night, Mr. Kanashima? You can wait a few more hours. My still living friend might need me."

She hated to shirk her responsibilities to the family, but it was a relatively simple matter of looking at the consequences of both choices. If she decided to take the urn back now and not find Kara, and Kara was in danger, she would never be able to forgive herself for it. If she looked for Kara now and returned the urn later, she'd probably get scolded by Mom which, while not something she ever looked forward, she could handle.

Taking a look around again, she set off, deciding to look for some of the girls she knew on campus. If anyone knew where Kara was, it'd be them.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 11:15 PM
Letting this normally vague, subconscious, sense of where he needed to be guide him Connor headed to where he was needed.


His vague sense of instinct takes him to the second of the three piers. With his hand near his sidearm and his senses on high alert, he moves slowly along the wooden platform, glancing periodically from side to side to check as much of each houseboat as he can see from the outside.

It seems an odd way to live, but he supposes the property taxes are at least affordable. Each unit, while it looks at first glance to be a cheerful, colorful little cottage (if a bit blocky and compact), is in fact built on a boat. Many have other smaller launches or canoes tied off to them, like a nautical version of a garage. Given their size and the placid lake, they hardly move, and walking down the pier feels like walking down a particularly quaint, wooden residential street.

He doesn't see any pointy-eared pretty boys with bows and arrows cavorting on the rooftops or bringing death to innocent mp3 players, and reaches the end of the pier without feeling a "ping" on his senses. There is another regular boat at the end; a slightly larger model with a steering wheel on the top of its modest cabin. With a disappointed sigh he turns to face the two uncertain-looking allies that are backing him up.

He is about to admit that he has no idea where to look when he hears a scuffle from the boat that is now behind him. It's a soft noise, but something about it sets him on edge. Whirling and unbuckling the holster of his gun, he calls out his name and police rank and asks who it is.

There is no answer but a repeat of the scuffling, slapping noise. It's coming from the top of the cabin. Connor calls out again, then hops adroitly from the pier to the ship when there is no answer. He waves at the two civilians to cover him from where they are.

Whatever is making the noise is still going, but out of sight from where he is at the boat's bottom level. He pulls out the gun in earnest now, and mounts the ladder in three huge steps and bursts into the driving area.

With a surprised and enraged "SQUAAAWWK", the pelican that was making all the noise launches itself at Connor and flaps its great wings, gaining height quickly and fleeing into open air over the misty morning lake. It knocks Connor painfully on his ass, and he almost discharges his gun like a rookie in sheer nervous surprise.

It looks like the bird was after a pile of freshly caught fish that the owner of the boat had left in an open cooler here next to the boat's wheel and throttle. Panting on his back, he would laugh at himself if things weren't still so serious. The best lead they have, and all it lead him to was a burglary in progress by a hungry avian. At least he saved the last of the fish, but the pelican crapped himself in surprise when it fled. He isn't sure if that's a fair tradeoff.

He gets awkwardly to his feet, waving off inquiries from his friends nearby and trying not to step in bird poop. He looks out over the lake, then back to the houseboats from his new vantage point. With his newfound height he can see into the back balconies, the closest thing some of these boats have to a yard. In particular, the boat on the end of the pier one dock over has several potted plants, trees, and large planters filled with colorful flowers on its back balcony. Several of the planters are practically overflowing with green.

Connor does a double take as he realizes what he is looking at. The planters aren't just filled with greenery; they are criss-crossed with tiny grassy footprints. They haven't been showing up anywhere else on the pier because there is no soil around, but they are unmistakable. He wouldn't have been able to see it from the ground level on the other pier, because the back balcony would have been hidden from view. He wouldn't have been able to see it from anywhere on the docks at all, in fact, except for his current vantage point.

There is a flash of movement from within the houseboat, glimpsed through a window. Armed with new purpose, Connor turns to his allies and points to the boat where the lutins have been.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 11:28 PM
Taking a look around again, she set off, deciding to look for some of the girls she knew on campus. If anyone knew where Kara was, it'd be them.

"Oh, she was like, tired from last night when I met her for breakfast. Can you believe what happened last night? I almost went to the concert with Kris Kyles, and if I had I could be dead right now. It's really sobering to think how close I came."

Yin puts up with Katie's rambling because she was apparently the last person to see Kara. "Then she got called over by some guy I've never seen before. I didn't get a good look, but he had like, a broken nose or something. I had to get to class so I didn't stick around."

The area where Kara was last seen has a few food stands and the campus bookstore, plus a group of campus political groups passing out flyers. Maybe one of them saw something more, and can help Yin track her friend's footsteps. But she doesn't have a good feeling about this.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-03, 11:36 PM
A man with a broken nose? Yin broke a few noses last night. Did one of those KoL *******s follow her last night and grab Kara? She cursed under her breath, offering a smile to Katie as she got up, "Thanks for letting me know. See you around."

With that, she hurried off to begin asking the people that were likely nearby if they had seen anything, showing them pictures of Kara she had taken on her cellphone. She made a prayer to the gods, hoping that her friend was alright and she was just getting worried for no good reason. However, a part of her didn't believe that, a part that kept whispering in her head that Kara was in danger or possibly even dead, and it was all her fault.

Yin really hated that part of her brain.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-03, 11:48 PM
However, a part of her didn't believe that, a part that kept whispering in her head that Kara was in danger or possibly even dead, and it was all her fault.


"Yeah, she took one of the flyers but then headed off with this guy that walked up to her while she was listening to music on her phone. They went that way, toward the Starbucks. Make sure to vote for legal marijuana, ok?"

Heading off in the direction he had indicated, Yin has no idea how to continue the chase. Hope that there is a chain of people who remember seeing a redhead walking down the street with a beat-up looking racist an hour ago? Try and catch the scent of bigotry and follow that across the city? Or maybe Kara has left a trail of breadcrumbs?

Panic threatens to overwhelm her when, completely unexpectedly, she spies a navy blue shoulder bag with a "Caprica Buccaneers" patch. Kara's, no doubt about it. It's hanging on a chair outside of the Starbucks that the eager flyer-guy had indicated, but there is no Kara in sight. A man is sitting at the chair facing the other direction, and holding what looks like a club, potentially even a wizard's staff.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 12:09 AM
Yin spotted the bag. That was Kara's bag. And there was some racist s.o.b. just sitting there next to it, probably smug and full of himself since he and his friends and kidnapped her childhood bud and were holding her somewhere, torturing her, beating her. No.

The only thing the man at the table heard was a roar of absolute rage as Yin roundhouse kicked him across the side of his face and out of his chair. Before he could even get back to his feet she slammed her fist into his mouth and knocked him down again, straddling him and viciously beginning to pummel him into the concrete, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH KARA?! TALK YOU %$#&ING SCUMBAG! TELL ME WHERE SHE IS OR I WILL @#!$ING MURDER YOU!"

She gasped, letting up as she managed to get a grip on herself, realizing she was quickly losing control. Damn it, she had been trained better than that. Grabbing the man by his shirt, she lifted him up to glare right into his eyes, "You better tell me where Kara Mulrooney is, or you won't believe what happens next, even while its happening."

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 12:14 AM
A slow grin spreads across Connor's face as he see's the footprints. He hadn't fully expected that to work. Mouthing a silent prayer of thanks to Manannan Connor hops off the boat and rushes toward the other houseboat.

On the way he briefly considers whether or not it's worth risking just going in there. It's true he has probable cause, but it's not something he can bring up with the mundane authorities, and with witnesses around, at least one of whom that knows his name, it would be bound to come up. So deciding that risking his one paying job isn't worth it Connor yells out "Detective O'Reilly, Seattle Police Department! Open up!" as he runs toward the boathouse.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 12:17 AM
"You better tell me where Kara Mulrooney is, or you won't believe what happens next, even while its happening."

"Međ glansandi svartur Ívalda er skegg!" The guy bounces with a satisfying thump onto the ground, his staff clattering to a nearby table. People all around gasp and stand up, but Yin has no time to waste with them.

Looking into his eyes, she enjoys the rush of rage, which distracts her from the overwhelming guilt at what might be happening to Kara. Looking into those brown, clear eyes. Those soft eyes with a hint of vulnerability.

That staff isn't a staff. It's . . . a crutch? And this guy isn't the accountant bastard whose nose she rearranged last night. And his arm is in a cast, too. And he looks familiar.

"In the bathroom," Andro says weakly, in answer to Yin's shouted question.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 12:22 AM
"Detective O'Reilly, Seattle Police Department! Open up!"

The response is immediate. Every window shutter and curtain in sight snaps shut immediately and loudly, even though there isn't anyone in sight who could have moved them. The deadbolt on the front door shuts with a loud Clack.

From inside, a sound like a hundred hyper chipmunks chittering in unison rises up. Behind the detective, Andrew spits as he tastes something unexpected. Lettuce and spring rolls, again.

Seems that someone is in.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 12:27 AM
Yin immediately lets go of Andro, covering her mouth in horror at what she's just done, "Oh gods.. I'm.. I'm so sorry I.."

She looked around at all the shocked faces just staring at her for violently and brutally assaulting an injured man. It felt like her brain was shutting down and she couldn't pull together the necessary cognitive power to pull together a coherent thought, "Christ on sale, what have I done?"

Her hands were shaking, trembling even. Was the blood on them hers or his, she couldn't tell for certain. She spoke softly, detached, almost as if she still couldn't believe what she had done, "I'm sorry.. I need to go."

And with that she turned and ran as fast as she could towards Chinatown. She couldn't think straight. All she knew is that she needed to be somewhere other than here.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 12:56 AM
And with that she turned and ran as fast as she could towards Chinatown. She couldn't think straight. All she knew is that she needed to be somewhere other than here.

Without really thinking about it, Yin ends up at her best brooding spot: Seattle's football stadium, Century Link Field. Emotions still a nauseating whirl, she looks at the steep, massive walls of the edifice and decides to take control of the one thing that she has always been able to rely on. Her body.

With a running start, she makes it to the top of a car parked under the garage's outside wall. A quick leap after that and she has her fingers hooked on the concrete structure, almost ten feet off the ground. With a grunt of effort she pulls herself up, then launches herself high into the air to grab the next handhold. Jump after jump, she forces her body to defy gravity and bring her ever further from the ground.

After six cycles of that, she has reached the toughest part of the ascent. Resting for a moment, she eyes the huge "L" of the Century Link sign above her. If she times it right, she'll grip it and pull herself to the top level of the stadium. If she misses, she'll fall down to the level she was just at and maybe sprain an ankle. If she misses really badly, she'll plunge fifty feet onto the car below and drive up someone's auto insurance premiums.

Not giving herself time to realize that this is a bad idea, she launches out . . . and grabs the handhold. With a heave she makes it up the L, and after that onto the flat surface of a customer walkway.

The rest of the trip to the top of the dome is easy; a climb up some permanent metal scaffolding, then a quick hop onto a service ladder and up to the roof of the stadium.

The sky is still cloudy above but the air is clear. She can see Chinatown in almost its entirety here, and in the other direction out to Harbor Island. She is breathing heavily from her exertions, but it feels good. She has never made this climb during the day before. It was a stupid risk, the chance of being seen is far too high in the daylight hours. But she'll deal with that problem in the future. For now, she enjoys the distracting feeling of aching limbs and burning muscles. It feels good to push her body to its limits, force it to obey her commands.

Her emotions are not nearly so obedient.

"You know, there was a time when I couldn't have done anything like that. Doesn't it make you feel like a superhero?"

Yin whirls around. There is a figure, an impossible figure standing behind her wearing baggy jeans and a loose, face-concealing hoodie. It's a guy by the sound of his voice, maybe a teenager or a youthful-sounding young man. His hands are in his pocket and he isn't breathing nearly as heavily as Yin is. She didn't hear him approach at all.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-04, 01:04 AM
"Well, that was pretty definitive. I take it neither of you can get ahold of a warrant or something in the space of a few minutes?" Andrew laughs nervously. He looks at the front door with a frown and sighs, saying quietly, "And there are too many people around to see what's going on for me to just blast the door off the hinges, let alone considering that I shouldn't really be doing that anyway. Should we try and get them to open up?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 01:04 AM
Yin practically jumps at the sound of the voice, having figured she was alone here. This was her spot, damn it! Whirling around to face the figure, she's about ready to knock him on his ass. Of course, she quickly realizes that's the reason she's up here, trying to get away from the rest of the world for a little bit. Letting the fact that someone's just invaded her prime brooding turf slide, for now, she finally bothers to speak.

"Uh, yeah.." She mumbles, perhaps with a little embarrassment, "Like Batman, actually. So, um.. no offense, but.. who the hell are you and what the hell are you doing up here?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 01:10 AM
"Uh, yeah.." She mumbles, perhaps with a little embarrassment, "Like Batman, actually. So, um.. no offense, but.. who the hell are you and what the hell are you doing up here?"

"Batman?" Yin can hear disappointment in his voice. "Lame. He doesn't even have any superpowers."

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 01:16 AM
"Lame?! That's what makes him awesome! He's in the #$%@ing Justice League! That's how badass he is. Who punched out Orion and Guy Gardner? Who kicks Superman's ass in the future as an old man? Who did Superman call the 'most dangerous man in the world'? Batman, that's who."

She cleared her throat, crossed her arms, and looked very smug now that she had schooled this kid, almost completely forgetting why this conversation had happened in the first place, "Hey. Don't sidetrack me. Who are you?"

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 01:23 AM
As Connor hears the door lock lock he heatedly mumbles of string of Gaelic curses involving Balor, a donkey, and things that really shouldn't be mentioned in public. After Andrew's comment Connor regains some measure of composure and says in a clear booming voice. "I repeat this is Detective O'Reilly with the Seattle Police Department. If you do not open this door and submit yourself to questioning immediately I will be within my rights to force entry and charge you with Obstruction of Justice." Not that the threat will hold much weight with the Faeries, but if he wants to keep his job it needs to be said.

Connor gives it a few moments, but the only answer is more of the chittering. "Yeah that's what I thought you would say." Connor's "reply" is punctuated with a sharp crack as he drives his silver arm through the window and he begins fumbling for the deadbolt.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 01:25 AM
"Lame?! That's what makes him awesome! He's in the #$%@ing Justice League! That's how badass he is. Who punched out Orion and Guy Gardner? Who kicks Superman's ass in the future as an old man? Who did Superman call the 'most dangerous man in the world'? Batman, that's who."

She cleared her throat, crossed her arms, and looked very smug now that she had schooled this kid, almost completely forgetting why this conversation had happened in the first place, "Hey. Don't sidetrack me. Who are you?"

"Well if you're Batman, I'll be the Question. And before you say that she doesn't have any powers, pseudoderm is at least something beyond the ordinary. Batman is just a rich guy with an unhealthy guilt complex. And the Question knows his secret identity, Zhao Yin."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 01:32 AM
Connor's "reply" is punctuated with a sharp crack as he drives his silver arm through the window and he begins fumbling for the deadbolt.

One thing to he notes immediately: there is no threshold here. That could mean a few things. Lots of supernatural creatures don't get to have thresholds, so there could be something not human living here. Or maybe the people who own the place have another house that they live in as a "home", while this is just a vacation house or condo.

Or the owners could be dead.

The deadbolt comes undone easily, and the door swings wide open. Connor and Andrew don't see anything too suspicious immediately. It's a well-appointed living room with tasteful furniture and a bright color scheme. Broad glass window-doors look out on the lake. To the left there is a staircase leading upstairs, and more rooms are on the left and right. The chittering has stopped.

"Well I'm not going in until I hear someone screaming bloody murder," Victor says from behind them. "I don't want to be charged with breaking and entering; I'd need to get the best lawyer in the city and I can't afford my rates."

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 01:50 AM
Yin's eyes widened at that sudden revelation and she furrowed her brow in frustration and mounting anger, "Okay, seriously, enough with the comic books for now. Who are you? You clearly know who I am which means you probably want something from me, right? I've got a few things on my plate right now, and I really don't need some cryptic huen dahn throwing his crap on top of all of that."

With that, she tugged her backpack a little further onto her shoulder and began to head back toward the ladder to climb down. She still had to get the urn back to the Kanashima family and, since she wasn't going to get any brooding done now, she might as well do it now.

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 01:55 AM
Connor snorts derisively when he hears Victor's comment. But doesn't bother to dignify it with an actual articulated response. Holding his gun out in front of him Connor heads for the room on the right.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 01:57 AM
"Okay, seriously, enough with the comic books for now. Who are you? You clearly know who I am which means you probably want something from me, right? I've got a few things on my plate right now, and I really don't need some cryptic huen dahn throwing his crap on top of all of that."

With that, she tugged her backpack a little further onto her shoulder and began to head back toward the ladder to climb down.

And suddenly, the voice is at her ear, whispering and cajoling. "Want something from you? Oh no, my Yin. It's something that I can give to you. All your anger and pain and regret. I can take them from you." Yin wants to turn, but her normally lightning reflexes are sluggish. She feels the man's touch at the base of her neck, and a shiver like an electric shock radiates from the point of contact throughout her entire body. His voice, which was conversational before, has taken on a resonance that demands attention, and touches something deep in Yin's mind. All of the feelings of horror, revulsion, and guilt at what she had done to Andro come welling up again, redoubled and unbearable.

"You called me, little superhero. With your despair. And I can make it stop."

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 02:16 AM
Yin was caught off guard, going completely still as the mystery man touched her. She couldn't react before all that pain and guilt hit her like a wave, and she found herself wracked with guilt, "Oh gods.. what have I done? It hurts.. what the hell is wrong with me?! I've.. hurt so many people and all I've done is enjoyed it. I'm.. I'm worse than the things I fight."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 02:22 AM
"Oh gods.. what have I done? It hurts.. what the hell is wrong with me?! I've.. hurt so many people and all I've done is enjoyed it. I'm.. I'm worse than the things I fight."

By the time Yin has recovered enough to blink through the tears and look for the man who just ripped through her mental defenses like shreds of parchment, he is nowhere to be seen. The wind blows through the late-morning air in silence, and she is alone at the top of the world.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 02:32 AM
Connor snorts derisively when he hears Victor's comment. But doesn't bother to dignify it with an actual articulated response. Holding his gun out in front of him Connor heads for the room on the right.

It's the kitchen, half open to the living room and as tastefully outfitted as the rest of the place. The smell of burning food assaults his nostrils, and he notices a skillet of burnt . . . brown, smoking over the stove burner. Sugar, milk, eggs, and more are spread around the counter, evidence of someone's breakfast preparations. A thin layer of green and yellow mold covers anywhere that food meets air.

Connor spots a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye, and he suddenly notices a figure crouched next to a potted lily. His eyes have trouble focusing on it, but it looks like a small man-shaped blur that is somehow using the foliage adjacent to veil itself from sight. It's also holding a bow, and aiming one of those bronze-tipped arrows right at the detective's body.

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 03:00 AM
Acting on pure instinct Connor's silver arm swing out in an openhanded strike towards the little elf. However the little Faerie rolls with the blow absorbing most of the force of the slap so it leaves nothing worse than a nice big purple bruise starting to form on it's cheek.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 03:02 AM
Shattering the silence of Yin's self-pitying isolation, her phone rings. She is tempted to let it go to her message machine, but she takes it out by sheer reflex and glances at the screen.

Kara

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 03:12 AM
Acting on pure instinct Connor's silver arm swing out in an openhanded strike towards the little elf. However the little Faerie rolls with the blow absorbing most of the force of the slap so it leaves nothing worse than a nice big purple bruise starting to form on it's cheek.

With a chittering cry, the little creature in front of Connor lets the arrow fly. It isn't the only one. Two more arrows from other corners of the room leap out, one from behind another potted plant near the entrance and the last from an herb box sitting next to the back window. As they fly towards Connor, their origins are revealed: two more lutin.

Connor gets his first clear look at these creatures without magic blurring his vision. They have skin like white ash, pale but seemingly carved from a log or piece of driftwood. They are about three and a half feet high, with rough clothes that might well be bark covering them from neck to ankle. Their feet are bare, with four gnarled toes that look like knots from an oak tree.

Their eyes are large for their faces, but beady and solid black with no irises. Each is holding a bow and wearing a quiver of arrows, with a bronze sword at their side.

One of the arrows tears a hole in Connor's shirt, leaving a shallow scratch along his chest, and the other two pass too close for comfort. Dodging to keep from being skewered, he sees the two lutins closest to him draw blades and advance to flank him in the compact kitchen.

The one near the entrance lowers his bow and addresses Andrew in high-pitched English with a hint of French accent. "Honored messenger of the Coldest Season, what brings you to our lawful hunting grounds?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 12:38 PM
Yin let out a low, shuddering breath, clutching the phone tight. Though she couldn't answer it, she managed to pull it together enough to send Kara a text saying, simply, "Can't talk right now."

She wasn't sure how long she spent up there, crying until she couldn't cry any longer. There wasn't anything to be done about it now. Scraping together what shreds remained of her strength, she began to slow climb down the stadium. As much as she would've preferred just staying up there, she still had an urn to take back. After that? She had no idea what she might do next.

Even as she climbed, she couldn't force away all the pain and doubt that went through her, the voices whispering in her head. 'You're no holy warrior, you're as much a thug as those Knights of Laconia.' 'How could you shame your family this way?' 'Is this the example you set for your brother?' 'Dad would be so ashamed of you.'

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 01:02 PM
Scraping together what shreds remained of her strength, she began to slow climb down the stadium. As much as she would've preferred just staying up there, she still had an urn to take back. After that? She had no idea what she might do next.


She doesn't set any speed records making it across Chinatown to return the urn to the Kanashimas. She hops two city buses and walks a few blocks on foot while lost in her thoughts. If anyone were out there looking to take a shot, now would be a perfect time to go for it.

Well, someone is out there.

But nobody challenges her during the trip and she makes it to the address in the note her Mom gave her. She glances at her phone one last time, taking in the text message that Kara had sent her.

=.( EMTs say Andro is OK, I explained about some stuff and he says he understands. We'll talk later?

Yin stuffs the phone back in her pocket, the mention of EMTs threatening to send her frazzled emotions spinning out of control again. Time to focus on the task at hand. Her mother had indicated that this was a doctor's office, but it looks like a normal home. Nice yard, huge trees towering up over the two-story building. There are toys scattered around the grass in front and a little plastic slide in fading primary colors that have been slightly washed out by exposure to the elements. She walks uncertainly up to the front door.

There is a sign above it that says "Sukuna-Bikona Family Refuge", with a subscript in Japanese katakana. Beneath it are the names "James Kanashima, M.D., Rei Kanashima, M.D. Ph.D."

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 01:14 PM
Yin looked at the phone for a few short moments before stuffing it back into her pocket, taking in a deep breath as she kept from breaking down again. So much for ever getting a date in her lifetime again. Now she was the insane girl that Kung Fu'd the crap out of people at random. Kara wanted to talk, but all Yin wanted to do was get this over with so that she could go home and curl up in her bed and hate herself for a while longer.

Pushing aside her thoughts, she moved to the door and gently knocked on it. Sighing softly, she looked over the yard as she waited. It seemed like a perfectly normal home, a happy place. Though she was often ashamed later, Yin once again found herself wishing that she had been born into a normal family, where she didn't have the weight of some Divine Mandate from Heaven on her shoulders, where she could be happy and normal and her dad would still be alive.

But that was all it was: a wish.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 01:21 PM
Sighing softly, she looked over the yard as she waited. It seemed like a perfectly normal home, a happy place. Though she was often ashamed later, Yin once again found herself wishing that she had been born into a normal family, where she didn't have the weight of some Divine Mandate from Heaven on her shoulders, where she could be happy and normal and her dad would still be alive.

But that was all it was: a wish.

"Coming!"

It takes a moment, but a gentlemanly Japanese man, probably in his early sixties, comes to the door. He is wearing an apron and oven mitts, and there is flour puffed liberally over his sleeves and stomach. He smiles through the window at Yin and opens the door. It was unlocked. No wonder the KoL was able to steal the urn from these people.

As he takes in the girl standing in his doorway, the man (James?) softens his expression even more. "Oh dear, please come in. We'll help you of course, don't worry at all. Let's get you off the street and sitting somewhere warm and comfy. Are you hungry?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 01:33 PM
Yin blinked as the man asked her to come in. He was treating her like she was some sort of street urchin. Then again, she realized, she probably looked like crap, so maybe it wasn't an unreasonable conclusion to jump to. However, before the idea of letting some nice family adopt her became too appealing, she held up a hand to stop him, "I'm not.. I'm not here for that, I just came here to.. um.. this."

Setting the backpack down, gently of course, she opened it up and pulled the urn out, holding it out to him, "I, um, got this back last night.. Here.. Just.. maybe next time lock your doors?"

She wasn't really sure what to add. Mission accomplished, quest completed, and XP was supposedly gained. All she wanted to do now was sleep in her bed for the next few days and try to figure out what she was going to do with her life now that it was falling apart around her.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-04, 02:42 PM
"Assisting in an investigation into a number of mortal disappearances. One moment." Andrew turns to face Connor for a moment, pointing towards the silver-armed man as the air around him seems to shimmer - nothing physical seems to actually manifest around him, but the temperature seems to have dropped several degrees.

Looking back to the Lutin that spoke to him a moment ago, he frowns,"Lawful hunting grounds, you say? From what I've heard, you aren't exactly acting in-character for your kind. Who's allowing you to hunt here?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 03:34 PM
"I, um, got this back last night.. Here.. Just.. maybe next time lock your doors?"


"Oh my goodness! How? When? What . . . are you with the Knights?" He looks at Yin in sheer relief tinged with surprise and uncertainty. He reaches out with his oven mitts to take the urn, then shakes his head and chuckles. He leaves Yin with the urn and turns around.

"I am sorry, please let me clean myself up. Come in, come in."

There is something about this place that is inviting, and Yin is tired. She wouldn't normally bother with something like this; excessive gratitude just makes her uncomfortable. But after the morning she's had, the chance to sit down in a place far away from anyone who knows her is alluring. And that couch over there looks mighty comfortable.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 03:39 PM
Yin eyed the man incredulously for a moment after what he said, "Do I look like I'm with the Knights?"

And then she sighed, shaking her head, "Sorry, I don't mean to snap, its just.. its been a long day. Thank you. I can only stay for a little bit."

Glancing inside, she had to admit that the offer was too good to pass up. She just needed to get away for a bit, away from her friends and family and all the things that reminded her of her constant failures. Stepping in, she moved over to the couch and sat down, letting out a little sigh. It wasn't contentment, not by a long shot, but it was as much as she was going to find any time soon.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 03:43 PM
"Who's allowing you to hunt here?"

"Allowing us? Nobody needs 'allow' us anything." He looks offended at the very suggestion that they need someone's permission to be doing . . . whatever it is they are doing. "We are here on lawful business, collecting the payment due from a mortal whose contract has matured."

One good thing about the fae: you always know that they are telling the truth when they speak. One bad thing about the fae: despite that fact, it can be next to impossible to make sense of anything they ever say.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 04:04 PM
Stepping in, she moved over to the couch and sat down, letting out a little sigh. It wasn't contentment, not by a long shot, but it was as much as she was going to find any time soon.

The entrance way is covered in pictures of smiling kids and bright children's paintings. There are too many kids in the various pictures to count, at least two dozen distinct faces, sometimes repeated at different points in the kid's life as she is growing up. Most look to be of Asian descent, though other races are sprinkled among the pictures. Most of them also look to be in their early teens or older in the pictures, but a few are toddlers.

Making her way further into the house, Yin spots more pictures and a group of framed newspaper articles, dated from several decades ago up to the relative present, which talk about the Sukuna-Bikona refuge. "Chinatown's Orphan Refuge", and "Troubled Teens find Safety and Family" are a few of the headlines. It seems that this place is a something like a cross between a foster home and a teen help center. Explains why the old man thought she was a waif when he saw her.

Yin's father used to say that the universe has a flow, a natural state of balance which some people fight against and others unconsciously follow. When a person allows their choices to complement and resonate with this natural balance, their footsteps can seem to be guided by forces beyond their control, and "coincidence" and "fate" will seem to deliver them to where they need to be.

She has felt the edges of this force before, but at times it seems to be less a matter of "fate" conspiring to bring her in balance with the universe, and more like the forces of creation are lining up and having a good laugh.

This is the last thing she needs. She is stuck in a house with a pair of teen-adopting psychologists. She hopes the universe is having a good giggle.

"Here you go," James says, placing a glass of cold milk tea and a cup of steaming green tea on the table in front of Yin. Minus his apron and oven mitts, he looks a little more like a kindly old doctor. "Now how did you find this, and why do you look like you could use an understanding ear and maybe a place to lie low for a while?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 04:14 PM
Yin picked up the green tea, taking a slow sip and sighing deeply. Gods, she wasn't sure what to think of all of this, but she was admittedly thankful to have someone to talk to. How could she tell these things she was feeling to Kara or even to her mother? Would they understand? Could they understand? She felt so lost now, maybe she really did belong in a halfway house?

"You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you," she half laughed, taking another slow sip as she watched him. He seemed trustworthy enough, and he actually seemed interested in helping her. At the very least, telling someone about all of this might help her feel better, but she still had to make an effort to omit the 'demon hunting champion of the gods' parts. The last thing she needed was being thrown in a nuthouse and fed pills the rest of her life.

"It all sort of.. started after my dad died. He was a good man. A great man. Smart, wise," a half snort, "And funny. He always knew how to make me smile, no matter how bad I was feeling. And when he left.. I've been trying to carry on, I've been trying to be someone he could be proud of and.. and I'm failing."

She burst into tears, lowering her head as her shoulders shook and she barely held onto the warm cup in her hands, "I miss him so much."

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 04:18 PM
As Andrew chats with one of the Lutins the other two continue to try and kill Connor. Connor's arm fling about in strikes meant to knock over, daze, and just generally screw over the Lutins. However the blasted things are tiny and quick and manage to evade each of his blows. Unfortunately for Connor he is a much larger target than the elves and their arrows look as if they are about to strike true. However as the arrows fly towards him they begin to decay and corrode and by the time they reach Connor there is nothing left but a few splatters of rotten mulch that only serve to stain his shirt. It seems Andrew was helping him out.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 04:27 PM
Yin picked up the green tea, taking a slow sip and sighing deeply. Gods, she wasn't sure what to think of all of this, but she was admittedly thankful to have someone to talk to. How could she tell these things she was feeling to Kara or even to her mother? Would they understand? Could they understand? She felt so lost now, maybe she really did belong in a halfway house?

"You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you," she half laughed.

"It all sort of.. started after my dad died. He was a good man. A great man. Smart, wise," a half snort, "And funny. He always knew how to make me smile, no matter how bad I was feeling. And when he left.. I've been trying to carry on, I've been trying to be someone he could be proud of and.. and I'm failing."

"I miss him so much."
He lets her cry for a moment, stopping himself from reaching over to pat her comfortingly on the back. "I may have not known your father, but I know about the men who took my father from his rightful place with his family." From his body language, it is clear that he is referring to the urn next to him. "And any person who would risk what you must have risked, brave what you must have braved to return my father to his home, for the benefit people that she does not even know, is the kind of child that any parent would be honored to have."

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 04:32 PM
However as the arrows fly towards him they begin to decay and corrode and by the time they reach Connor there is nothing left but a few splatters of rotten mulch that only serve to stain his shirt. It seems Andrew was helping him out.

With angry little hisses, the two lutins on Connor switch to their swords. The one by the door notches another arrow in his bow and looks ready to take aim; Andrew wonders if he can somehow distract the little fae from filling the detective with arrows, or if he can find a way to get around the letter of the law and justify bringing the power of Winter directly to bear on the enemies before him.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 04:37 PM
"But it isn't just that.. I.. I fight people and I enjoy it. Sure, a lot of them deserve it, but I beat up a man today who didn't deserve it and.. it felt great. It was an accident, yeah, but.. if I hadn't stopped myself I could've killed him. I don't want that to be what my father sees when he watches me."

She recovered after a few moments, drinking deeply from the tea and sighing, "There's so much responsibility on me now and.. I don't know what to do. There are people I have to protect and care for, but how can I do that when I can't even control myself?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 04:59 PM
"But it isn't just that.. I.. I fight people and I enjoy it. Sure, a lot of them deserve it, but I beat up a man today who didn't deserve it and.. it felt great. It was an accident, yeah, but.. if I hadn't stopped myself I could've killed him. I don't want that to be what my father sees when he watches me."

She recovered after a few moments, drinking deeply from the tea and sighing, "There's so much responsibility on me now and.. I don't know what to do. There are people I have to protect and care for, but how can I do that when I can't even control myself?"

James leans back in his own chair and regards Yin thoughtfully. She would have thought he would at least look surprised at her mention of fighting, but then he is a psychologist working with troubled inner city kids. He's probably heard this kind of thing before.

"I suppose I'm supposed to say something now about how it's all going to be ok, and you haven't done anything to be ashamed of if it all turned out fine in the end. Or that your problems aren't as bad as they seem, and in a hundred years nobody will remember the screwups that you think are so big and important right now. But that's not the truth." He shakes his head, but not judgmentally. From his tone you think that maybe he's experienced his share of regret, too.

"Maybe you really do have problems. Maybe you have done some things that your father wouldn't be proud of. What we do every day, no matter how small it seems, matters. Our choices matter, and the people that we touch," his eyebrow crooks up in the suggestion of dry amusement, "or smack, they matter too."

"But I'll tell you something else. Much as I wish it weren't true, sometimes you have to fight for what is right. Sometimes you'll have trouble deciding what is truly right and what is just empty pride, but choosing never to fight because you may make a mistake is the coward's path. And when you find yourself making mistakes, you have to remember that the future is still unwritten. You just have to spend tomorrow being a better person than you were yesterday. It takes true courage to know that you will be wrong, will make bad choices, will make mistakes . . . and then struggle on anyway."

He shrugs, and looks Yin in the eyes. "It's not the kind of nonviolence that the old, wizened Oriental counselor is supposed to give, but then while I am old I am not sure that I will ever be wise."

He picks up the urn gingerly, with an expression of deep reverence. "I, for one, believe that at least one of the fights you have chosen was very worthy indeed."

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 05:30 PM
The detective brings up his gun as one of the Lutins approaches with it's wickedly sharp sword. Steadying the gun a hairsbreadth away from the tiny mans ear Connor squeezes the trigger firing three bullets into the wall behind him. The deafening crack of the gunshots sending the elf reeling away from Connor in a disoriented haze.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-04, 05:33 PM
"Allowing us? Nobody needs 'allow' us anything." He looks offended at the very suggestion that they need someone's permission to be doing . . . whatever it is they are doing. "We are here on lawful business, collecting the payment due from a mortal whose contract has matured."

"I understand, but as far as I can tell, you've taken a number of mortals. Did all of them owe you payment? And what did you give them in the first place?" Andrew sounds mildly irritated as he speaks, taking a quick glance around the room. He yawns, "It's no wonder you were removed from the Summer Court, your skills do seem awfully lacking. I mean, really. Two of you are having trouble with one man, I'm suprised any of you ever managed to find your way out of the NeverNever."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-04, 05:49 PM
Victor leans against the boat, and yells in "Hey, Connor, Andrew, Just yell if you need The Lady of the Rain's help. Ya know, since I'm her emissary"
Maybe that'll make the elfs stop, victor thinks to himself.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 05:54 PM
The detective brings up his gun as one of the Lutins approaches with it's wickedly sharp sword. Steadying the gun a hairsbreadth away from the tiny mans ear Connor squeezes the trigger firing three bullets into the wall behind him. The deafening crack of the gunshots sending the elf reeling away from Connor in a disoriented haze.

It shrieks in confusion and rage, and by sheer luck it's sword scores against Connor's leg. He feels the burning pain as it opens a very shallow cut far away from any arteries or sensitive regions. It doesn't inhibit his mobility at all, fortunately, but it does crash whatever magical barrier Andrew had conjured around him into tiny shards.

Dodging and rolling, the other lutin never comes near him with its blade, and an arrow smacks into the flour pot nearby, filling the kitchen with the sound of breaking crockery and an expanding puff of flour particulates.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 06:03 PM
Andrew sounds mildly irritated as he speaks, taking a quick glance around the room.

His thoughts racing as he tries to come up with a way to help the detective more substantially, Andrew feels it when the magical barrier he had conjured falls apart beneath the lutin's sword. What else does he know about these little things, dammit?

They favor archery, duh, he can see that. They are often spoken of in concert with Bayards, fae horses of great speed, stamina, and intelligence. Interesting, but not relevant here unless they are hiding a horse in the oven. They are proud little pranksters, and like all fairies hate the touch of iron. They also have a great disdain for salt, and refuse to cross a line of salt laid on the ground.

Salt, huh? Connor is fighting in the kitchen. Three feet to his right is a big canister of Morton's, with the little girl and her umbrella emblazoned on the front.

Idea!

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 06:42 PM
As he dances around the tiny blades Connor circles behind the Lutin that cut open a shallow gash in his leg. "Hey, Ears-For Brains I'm over here!" As the elf spins around wounded pride showing clear on it's face it has to make a visible effort to keep track of it's environment, still clearly disoriented by the gunshots. It manages to clear it's head just in time to see the steel toe of Connor's boot moments away from crushing it's nose.

Tagging "Disoriented" and "Proud Little Pranksters" let's see how I roll before I decide what to do with the Aspects.

[roll0]+1=Reroll

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-04, 06:42 PM
since they don't seem to be concerned with the Lady of The Rains, Victor does what he knows needs to be done. He starts stripping.
Wait, an elk in a boat? that seems like a horrible idea He thinks to himself.
So instead, he walks in and starts punching the nearest elf. Because what else is a lawyer going to do at... 6am in the morning?

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 06:52 PM
Yin sat there for a long moment, silent, staring into the cup of tea. James' words had helped, just a bit, and that was more than she ever could have asked for. Still, there didn't seem to be any end to the pain that she was feeling, to the guilt and the despair that surrounded her now. Again, the demon hunter didn't know what to do next, so she decided she would have to keep moving, one step at a time.

Finishing the tea, she set the cup down and got to her feet, putting her backpack on, "Thank you, Mr. Kanashima, for the tea, for letting me just.. let it out, I guess. It means a lot. I.. I think my dad would've liked you."

She swallowed down the pain as she mentioned her father again, fighting back the tears as she walked out of his home and headed towards her own. She hadn't realized how much dad's death had effected her. She had been so busy fighting demons and helping people that she hadn't given herself time to grieve, and all of that pain had been building up inside of her, wanting to be let out.

As far as Yin knew, there were no guarantees that she was going to get better, or that she could ever really trust herself with the power she had been given and the burdens that had come with it. But what choice was there other than to keep walking forward. A small smile crept briefly onto her face when she remembered her first time riding a bike. She had fallen off, skinned her knee, and, of course, cried. Dad had tried to get her to ride the bike again and she told him she was too scared.

He replied, with that silly smile on his face, "You can't stop eating just because there's a chance you might choke. Don't ever be afraid of moving slowly, be afraid of standing still."

Dad loved his stupid little proverbs and he never lost faith in the gods or their plan for him or his family and she knew exactly what he would say if he were here now, "A gem can't be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials."

She just wished he was here to say it himself.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-04, 07:22 PM
Andrew reacts with a grin as the Lutin comes at him with his sword, "Aww, I was enjoying ou-Ah!" a grin which quickly fades as he fails to get out of the way and feels the sword slash against one of his legs. He stumbles backwards away from the creature, wincing as he stands up properly and raises his hands above his head, a number of thin, sharp icicles forming between them. They fly towards the lutin, rapidly impaling it before it has a chance to react.

Invoking "Squire of the Winter Court" to make my life easier. Six shifts!
[roll0]+4+2=6! How handy.

This should leave my stress at:
Physical: [ ][x][ ][ ]
Mental: [ ][x][x][ ]
I think.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 08:13 PM
She swallowed down the pain as she mentioned her father again, fighting back the tears as she walked out of his home and headed towards her own.

"You never told me your name! I figure I should know that at least, so that I can pray for you when I give offerings to my ancestors tonight."

Yin tells the kind man, and he bows to her deeply before escorting her to the front door. Lost in thought, she almost bumps into a tall and thin young man on the porch, maybe 14 years old, whose arms are full of groceries and who is wearing baggy pants and a tattered Gumiho t-shirt. His eyes widen when he sees an unfamiliar young women in the house, and he looks back to James before looking at her without quite meeting her eyes.

"He- ahem," He clears his throat and starts talking again with a slightly deeper tone. "Hey. Sorry to hassle the new arrival here, but could you help me unload these groceries?"

"This is not a new guest, Hayate, this is our hero Zhao Yin. She has returned my father to his honored home and deserves our utmost respect and gratitude."

"Oh, um. That's great." He tries to bow and spills a canister of peanut butter and a bunch of bananas from his grocery bag. "Oh ****," he curses, his voice losing its affected depth and returning to its original, slightly higher pitch.

He has the gaunt look of someone who has seen more than his years would indicate, but he seems all right. He looks like he might be slightly smitten with Yin though, so now might be a good time to go. Otherwise she'll probably be beating him into the pavement inside an hour for having the nerve to be nice to her.

AvianMalkavian
2012-11-04, 08:28 PM
Yin murmured out some kind of half apology for bumping into Hayate, picking up the jar of peanut butter and the bananas and putting them back in his grocery bag. She glanced at James when he made mention of her as a 'hero', not entirely sure how she felt about that. A day ago she would've thought it was awesome to be someone's hero, and now she wasn't so sure that title fit her.

"Goodbye, Mr. Kanashima, Hayate. Maybe I'll see you again sometime," And with that, she continued on her way, sighing as she realized that the inevitable talk with her mother and Kara was waiting for her when she got there. Yin would've given anything to avoid it now.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 08:59 PM
It manages to clear it's head just in time to see the steel toe of Connor's boot moments away from crushing it's nose.


Unfortunately, the little jerks really are quick. Connor is used to being the fastest thing in the fight, but the wooden lutin just might be faster. It dodges out of the way of his crushing stomp, sticking out it's little tongue and making a yipyip noise that must be a mocking laugh.

It dodges right into the righteous fist of Washington's youngest attorney. With a crack, splinters fly off where he cracked it in the back, skinning his knuckles good but causing it to stumble forward.

With the fight in the kitchen finally even, Victor cracks a smile and loosens his tie, ready for a good old fashioned beatdown.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 09:37 PM
The beleaguered lutin caught between Connor and Victor hacks wildly at the detective, missing with every swing. Behind Connor the other elf scores another minor scratch on his back, but his Tuatha-enhanced reflexes prevent him from being outright skewered.

"The salt! They can't stand salt, it's like iron to them!"

Connor glances at where the curly-haired sorcerer is pointing and cracks a smile when he spots a whole canister of salt on the counter, next to the shattered flour pot.
2 stress hit to Connor (including toughness)

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 09:44 PM
Grabbing the container of salt in one hand the detective throws a handful of crystals at the Lutin and can't help but smile as the Faerie leaps away from them. Throwing more and more of the stuff Connor herds the little elf into a corner, and once his prey has nowhere to run he drives the heel of his boot into the Lutin's chest.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 09:44 PM
With his two allies down for the count and enemies swarming onto the houseboat, the last lutin abandons his assault on Connor and rushes toward the stairwell. He slams into the sorcerer's leg, causing him to yelp in pain, and runs to the second floor of the structure and out of sight.
Athletics:
[roll0]+4= 4

The hit to Andrew's leg is a compel against your injury: either be unable to move next exchange or spend a FP to resist the compel.

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-04, 10:06 PM
Andrew slumps to the ground, wincing and gripping his wounded left leg. Making the same hand gestures as before and causing the air around the lawyer to shimmer unnaturally, he shouts, "Get the bloody thing already!"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 10:22 PM
Without a word, Victor sprints up the staircase after the retreating form of the lutin. Arriving in upstairs bedroom behind it, he follows it through the sliding back door onto the outdoor balcony where Connor originally saw the grassy footprints. It halts at the biggest planter and makes a slashing motion with its sword, and the air seems to twist and bend as though wounded by the weapon's passing.

Behind him, the heavy sounds of Connor's footfalls pound out a furious rhythm, and the detective arrives in time to see the shimmering air stabilize into a pattern, like a painting of an idyllic forest that is somehow twisting and shimmering in midair. The lutin hunches to leap through the apparition, and Connor knows that it passes through to the NeverNever, he probably won't be able to catch up.

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 10:44 PM
Connor's eyes open wide like saucers he sees the portal. If the lutin crosses over it crosses over he would never find it again. The NeverNever was a big place, mind-bogglingly big, and there was no guarantee it would stay there. Just as Connor starts to lose hope he remembers the canister of salt still in his hands and his face splits into a near manic grin.

Moving with every ounce of inhuman speed he has Connor flicks out his wrist sending a spray of salt crystals into the air. Whispering a quick prayer to Brigid that his bright idea works Connor watches poised on the balls of his feet as the crystals settle into a line between the Faerie and it's portal.

Athletics Roll:[roll0]+3=3, I hope that's enough.

Hopefully I won't need it, but if I do, is my prayer enough of a justification to invoke my High Concept?

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 10:54 PM
Moving with every ounce of inhuman speed he has Connor flicks out his wrist sending a spray of salt crystals into the air. Whispering a quick prayer to Brigid that his bright idea works Connor watches poised on the balls of his feet as the crystals settle into a line between the Faerie and it's portal.


It works better than he had hoped. The arc of salt flies through the air, creating a patch of coarse white crystals between the lutin and the aperture. A few hit its wooden skin, popping like water dropped in hot oil as it dances back with a keen of pain.

What's more, the salt passes through the portal, shredding the picture as it falls until nothing is left of it but a few wisps of green and yellow smoke and the scent of fresh flowers.

The lutin looks mournfully at where its escape used to be, then at the two men standing above it. In abject defeat it lowers to its knees, drops its bronze blade, and speaks in a high pitched French accent identical to the one the other lutin used before. "I surrender."

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 11:17 PM
Connor nods at the Lutin. "Smart move." After pouring a circle of salt around his captive Connor tosses the salt to Victor and says. "Pour a circle around both of the Lutins downstairs and then bring Andrew up here." Turning back to the captive elf Connor smiles and says. "As I'm sure you already heard me yell my name is Connor O'Reilly; I'm here to ask you some questions. If you cooperate I'll consider letting you and your friends go. Let's start with something easy. What's your name?"

Okay I'm gonna throw down a couple rolls here.

Specifically an Alertness and an Empathy roll just to see what I notice.

Alertness:[roll0]+2=2
Empathy: [roll1]+3=1

I imagine there are probably some other rolls I need to make for the actual interview, but I don't know what.

After the interview I will actually start searching the boat, but that probably won't be for a few posts.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-04, 11:33 PM
"My name is Chêne. I am called the Soundless Wind. I serve my prince, and you own my life. I will offer what else I have and know in barter for this life, which is valuable to me but surely of little use to you, Master."

The little creature is still while Connor creates the circle of salt, and stays as far away from the stuff as it can, like a person avoiding a red-hot poker. There are tiny dots of purplish color on its face and body, like a tree stump with a case of chicken pox, where the salt hit it earlier. As far as Connor can tell it is serious, and it would fit with his past dealings with minor wildfae and Tuatha De Dannan servitors. While their service to their sworn lord or lady is absolute as far as it goes, they are quick to offer what ever else they can to buy their freedom or life once captured. Unfortunately, that means that if this one was ordered not to reveal its master before it was sent on this mission, no amount of interrogation or tough love will make it break that order. One way to find out, though.

Victor and Andrew come back up from below. "I locked them in with salt circles, and infused them with a bit of magic for good measure. But I think those two are dead, so they probably aren't going anywhere," Andrew says.
Ask your questions and roll empathy to tell whether it is being evasive or being frank. You can be pretty sure, at least, that it is never outright lying, but this will help determine whether it is being evasive or obfuscational as well.

Sanguine
2012-11-04, 11:50 PM
"That's what I was hoping you'd say Chêne." Connor rolls up the sleeves of his shirt revealing the silver right arm hidden beneath, the mark of his status as the Hand of the Tuatha Dé Danann, a mark any of the Fae would recognize. "Now I'm going to ask you a few more questions. First, me and my companions tracked you here from a garage where you were in an altercation with five musicians. What happened to the musicians? And why did you destroy the various pieces of recorded music in the garage? I thought Lutins liked music. Also, who is this 'prince' that you serve?"

Empathy:[roll0]+3=1:smallfrown:

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 12:02 AM
"Now I'm going to ask you a few more questions. First, me and my companions tracked you here from a garage where you were in an altercation with five musicians. What happened to the musicians? "We took them to the same place we did all the others. Can't tell you where, oh no, it's not allowed. But they are safe. Their contracts were ready, and it was their time to join the flock. They made that contract, and by rights they were taken, though some of them resisted."


And why did you destroy the various pieces of recorded music in the garage? I thought Lutins liked music."Destroyed music? Never! The music is the thing, the most valuable thing. We are here and there to protect the music, to take it away from this grubby material place where music dies and mortals listen to dead sounds that are fake false ghosts of what was once magical and beautiful. Holding a note, which is a precious thing, captive like an animal. We let those notes free! And we took the beautiful people who make that beautiful music to where they will be appreciated, and their music allowed to live and die naturally, not imprisoned for eternity in walking death!"

Wow. As defeated as the lutin was acting a moment ago, Connor seems to have touched a nerve. Little guys don't like recordings of music, he guesses. After its rant is over, the lutin remembers to look properly defeated again and lowers the fist it had been pumping passionately during the height of its rant.


Also, who is this 'prince' that you serve?"
"I cannot answer that, it is forbidden. He is the prince, I a lowly subject."

As far as Connor can tell, the little elf has answered truthfully so far.

"I have answered your questions twice, and a third I am forbidden to explain. Ask me one more and if I answer true, will you let me go?"

Doing things in threes is big among fae; this might be the best deal they'll get. But what should he ask? Or is there another bargain he could make that would serve the investigation better?

Sanguine
2012-11-05, 12:45 AM
Connor silently berates himself for wasting one of his questions on asking about the broken music. It didn't really help the investigation and asapparently he was only going to get three questions. Still, the passion of his words was fascinating.

"Yes, if you answer one more question for me I will release you. However, first I have another offer for you."

Connor takes in a deep strong breath and stands tall and proud as he says with regal composure.

"Swear your fealty to me. In return I shall give you a solemn oath. I shall swear never to raise my hand against you or yours, and shall provide unto you my protection and aid to call upon at need. I promise I will never force you to break your word or betray your allegiances and that as long as you serve me faithfully I shall do everything in my power to preserve your life and the lives of your kin."

I don't know what, if anything I need to roll for this, but I will probably end up spending a Fate Point on Guide My Hand to roll Conviction. I might also spend my other Fate Point to Invoke an Aspect. I really want this to succeed.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 02:16 AM
"Swear your fealty to me. In return I shall give you a solemn oath. I shall swear never to raise my hand against you or yours, and shall provide unto you my protection and aid to call upon at need. I promise I will never force you to break your word or betray your allegiances and that as long as you serve me faithfully I shall do everything in my power to preserve your life and the lives of your kin."

"The oaths of mortals are petty things. Even the performers we have been retrieving have tried to break theirs, and would never have fulfilled their sacred contracts were we not there to oversee their compliance." Chêne sneers and shakes his head.

Connor looks at him a moment, then shows his silver arm once more. "It is not only my word you need trust. It is the word of the Tuatha De Dannan themselves. Surely you do not accuse them of any lack of honor?"

The sneer fades as the lutin ponders this, then is slowly replaced by a look of serious contemplation. "But I am beholden to another already. I am the prince's subject. My people have served him for an age."

"You are his subjects, or his sworn servants? A servant may owe his life to his lord, but a subject owes only his loyalty and his respect. He can change his loyalty, it serves his people or his land. Can't he?" Andrew's words are unexpected, but perhaps they shouldn't be. He is imbued with the power of Winter, after all. His life must have been an interesting one thus far, and eventful for one as young as he is. And he does seem to have a gift with the wildfae.

Here, at least, that gift seems to be bearing fruit. The lutin looks thoughtful. "But how is this in the interest of my people or my lord? My lord would be deprived of my services, my people perhaps punished for my disloyalty. What reason do I have to swear such an oath?"

"Check that lutin I attacked again, Andrew," Connor says. "I was very careful not to injure him fatally. Maybe you were wrong about him being dead."

Andrew looks doubtful, but when he returns it is with the unconscious lutin held in his arms. Without the animating influence of its conscious mind, it looks very much like a spindly log in his arms. A log with a sword and a quiver of arrows tied to it.

The fae in the salt circle eyes his injured kin without any visible emotion in its expression. "This is one of your people, right?" The short faerie nods. "Now you see that there is something in it for your people. I could deprive your lord of two servants if I wanted. I could deprive your people of more than one child. This is within my power, yes?" The faerie nods again, still no discernable expression.

"That is why I am setting him free. Consider this a gift, a token of my sincerity." Connor lays the lutin down in the planter, far from where any of the salt landed. Grass immediately grows up under the figure's feet. After a few moments it stirs, then awakens. With a squeak it hops upright, and chitters in alarm when it sees its enemies nearby and its kin imprisoned.

"Go on, get out of here," Victor says. With a worried look over its shoulder it does so, opening a passage to the NeverNever with its sword and jumping through.

Now the lutin looks downright awed. A gift among fae is a powerful thing. If Connor is right, and the elf values his kin, this is a gift almost beyond measure. To refuse to reciprocate such a gift could be unhealthy for a fae as low on the power pyramid as Chêne. Maybe even deadly. It's sort of a dirty trick to play, but then this is how fae live. Exchange and obligation, debt and oath. To try to deal with them any other way would be an exercise in futility, not to mention dangerous for the mortal stupid enough to forget what they were dealing with.

"Very well, my lord," Chêne finally says. "I do so swear. I swear my fealty to your hand, to your people." There is a deep thrum, and power pushes out from his body and swirls within the bounded salt circle. Connor knows that he needs only to break that circle, and speak the end of his own sacred oath, and the contract will be complete.

Sanguine
2012-11-05, 03:21 AM
For the first time that day the cloud cover broke revealing a beautiful golden sun standing proudly above the hills. The sun’s golden rays beamed down upon the lake watching the sacred exchange of oaths. The brilliant morning light illuminating Connor’s tall figure, glittering along the metallic surface of his arm and playing in the fiery fields of his hair. Standing proud and regal Connor’s majestic visage was unmarred by his stained clothes.

Moving with a casual grace Connor swept his foot across the line of salt breaking the circle and proudly declaimed in perfect Gaelic; his voice filled with a fiery passion and an unquestionable sincerity. “I accept your fealty Chêne, the Soundless Wind and I meet your oath with an oath of my own. I Connor, son of Patrick, of the Clan O’Reilly, Hand of the Tuatha Dé Danann, swear upon my Power and my Name, before my liege the High-Queen Brigid, and all the kings and queens of the Tuatha Dé Danann to never raise my hand in violence against you or your people. I swear to you my vassal that should ever you have need of me I will be there to give you aid and succor. I swear that should the lives of you or your kin be threatened I will be there to offer my protection. I swear to you that your service with me will be honorable and just and that it will never force you to betray your words or your loyalties. I swear that so long as you serve me I shall do all in my power to protect you and yours from harm. These things I swear by Stars and Stone and the Grace of the Tuatha.”

As the last words of the oath were spoken and the contract sealed the power that had been building was released. The power enveloped the two, liege and vassal, and for just the briefest moment they were as one. Connor could feel the burns where the salt had seared into his flesh. He could feel the wonderful thriving life all around him. And just barely, he could sense Chêne’s own awareness of him, and was sure that if he explored it deep enough he would find an infinitely recursive loop. Then the moment was gone and the two were once more separate, but while the oneness was gone a deep and powerful bond remained between the two, a bond forever connecting the two individuals.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 11:14 AM
Chêne hops gingerly over the gap in the line of salt, blinking up at the sudden flood of sunlight. Victor frowns in the direction of the gap in the clouds, and a chill breeze blows over from across the lake. In a few seconds the clouds are back, the morning once again overcast and grey.

"Well that was exciting. But I'm kind of on a schedule, and I need to figure out who hired those kids with the mange problem and the guns to perforate your family bar, and this doesn't seem to be getting us any closer."

"An outrage!" Chêne howls into the morning air. "Those fools could have destroyed many of the most valuable outstanding contracts! I would tear them limb from limb . . ." he looks over at Connor. "That is, if it were still my duty to enforce those contracts. Which it isn't Master." Strange. His voice has the barest lilt to it now, a hint of Irish, as well as the suggestion of a French accent.

Connor shakes his head. Apparently he was ordered not to reveal anything about his old lord or his mission, and those restrictions will still be in place. But there are always gaps in such things, and he'll have to do his best to find some and maybe pick up some useful clues.

"So what about those shooters? How do we track them down?"

There is a moment of silence, as the three ponder their options. Connor has a lot on his plate right now, with the investigation into both the disappearances and the shooting in full swing. Andrew pipes up. "I'm not sure about how to track down who organized the drive-by, but I know some of the Duwamish kids most likely to be part of this skin-walker business from . . . my past. We might be able to track down some of them only-" He looks uncomfortable. "They might not be very happy to see me."

Victor nods at this, but Connor isn't yet sure. Maybe there are other paths that bear more immediate investigation, and this missing persons case might still be time sensitive. Might as well search the houseboat, first.

There isn't anything new to be found, though. The resident was one Uma Perepelitsa, a young woman with another house in San Diego (according to the security guard, who huffs onto the scene a few minutes later. "I heard gunshots!"). She was here last night, but now is nowhere to be seen. Chêne tries to look innocent after being told this, and avoids answering direct questions about the matter. The house itself is unspectacular. Other than the mess in the kitchen, and a broken iPod dock and smashed up hard drive, there is nothing of note.

Connor is broken out of his thoughts on what to do next by a phone call.

"Detective O'Reilly? Sorry to wake you up, but this is Detective Young. I'm at your bar and," he lets out an exasperated sigh. "You really should come down here. It's about your Dad. He's fine, he just . . . I think he's about to get himself arrested." His tone is tired and apologetic. In the background, Connor thinks he can hear his father's raised voice stubbornly shouting someone else's down.

Well, the pub is as good a place to go as any right now. He can catch up on the progress of the police investigation, and maybe drop off Chêne. Bullet holes aside, it's still one of the more secure locations in the city against supernatural trespassers, and Chêne here might have some former lutin allies sent after him before long.

With brief farewells and promises to keep the other group in the loop, Connor heads to the pub and Victor and Andrew get into the lawyer's shiny ride and head for Duwamish Longhouse and Cultural Center.

Sanguine
2012-11-05, 03:53 PM
"Thanks Young, I'm on my way." Hanging up the phone with a sigh Connor turns to his companions and says. "I've got some trouble down at the pub. Andrew, you and Victor should go follow up on your lead, I'll take Chêne with me to the pub and deal with things over there. Call me if you find anything."

Leading Chêne to his car Connor can't help but wonder about what had just happened. It had all happened so fast. One moment he had been desperately trying to prevent the elf from escaping and then the next thing he knew he was swearing an oath that would permanently bind his fate with Chêne's. Every step along the path made perfect sense at the time, but this was not what he had been expecting when he had forced his way into that boathouse. Connor had never considered himself a leader, but it seemed he was going to have to reevaluate that part his self-image.

Still, there was time for all this introspection later. Right now he had to go protect his father from himself, and after that he had to rescue some musicians and exact bloody vengeance on whoever had ordered the drive-by at O'Reilly's. His brooding put aside for the time being Connor moved with renewed purpose.

Pulling up outside O'Reilly's Connor turns to Chêne and says. "There's gonna be at least one unknowing mortal inside, so if you can veil or glamour yourself, or otherwise hide your presence it would be a good idea to do so. No point in needlessly angering the Shadow Court. If you can't, just try and avoid notice."

Turning away from Chêne, Connor steps into the pub.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 07:24 PM
[COLOR="Silver"]"There's gonna be at least one unknowing mortal inside, so if you can veil or glamour yourself, or otherwise hide your presence it would be a good idea to do so. No point in needlessly angering the Shadow Court. If you can't, just try and avoid notice."

Turning away from Chêne, Connor steps into the pub.

"Yes, sir," responds the blonde-haired 9 year old kid sitting next to him in the car. Or at least, that's what he looks like now. Chêne really is pretty good at glamours.

The path to the pub is fraught. Closing his door and coming up to the back entrance, Connor reflects that he has gone up against wee folk and skin-walkers in the last day, fought off some pissed off wood elves and charged without a second thought into a car full of gangsters with guns, and it was all just a part of the job. Not something he enjoys really, but not something he complains about either. He finds it fulfilling to use his power to defend others, to go out into the night and find the things that enjoy going bump, and introducing them to his silver fist. It's a messy, dangerous job, and he sees innocent people get hurt far more often than anyone should have to, but he can handle it.

Reporters are a different story.

"Detective O'Reilly! Is it true that you fought off the gunmen who attacked the pub last night?"

"What about the reports that the drive-by was targeted at customers who may have been involved in organized crime?"

"Was this a racially motivated attack?"

"Should the residents of Seattle expect more violence as this gang war escalates beyond control?"

The reporters have somehow mastered the art of yelling out a dozen questions at once, yet making all of them distinct and intelligible. There are reporters from every local news channel here, and a number of regional and national programs as well. Several of the cameras have lights on indicating that they are on air, and together the "news media" forms a formidable barrier between Connor and the safety of the police line only 20 feet away.
That is a social attack using Intimidation to try and provoke Connor to either say something or do something that will be a good story. He can defend with discipline, a social defense skill, or anything else you can make a good case for as he tries to control his exhaustion, annoyance, and concern.
[roll0]+3= 4

Just inflicting a hit isn't enough to make Connor lose his temper/say something to the reporters. He has to be actually taken out (or concede) in this social conflict for that to happen.

His "victory condition" is to force his way through the reporters without saying anything that reveals too much about the case, and without resorting to violence or something else that will play on the evening news and make the SPD look bad. That could be an athletics or something else to force his way through.

And take a compel (FP!) on your brand new aspect; the presence of a "child" makes it harder to just walk straight through the mass of reporters, making the skill checks higher difficulty and giving the reporters more chances to shout questions.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 08:27 PM
The trip to the Cultural Center takes almost twenty minutes, over the bluffs that divide the lake from the Sound, North of downtown, and along the edge of the ocean to the Magnolia bridge. Magnolia is a part of town that is only a few miles away from downtown and Seattle's skyline, but thrusts into the Sound on a blob of land that used to be connected to the main land by only tidal mudflats. Even today, completely settled and an incorporated part of the city, it is only connected to the rest of the area by three bridges. The mudflats of old have been replaced by railyards and cargo lots that stretch like a wall from North to South, cutting the entire neighborhood off from the central city.

As the BMW cruises across the bridge, the character of the region changes noticeably. The closely spaced lots and commercial marinas quickly give way to windy, wooded, residential streets with generously appointed properties and quaint older structures. Several of them date from the founding of the city.

Andrew and Victor's destination is even further on though, at the tip of the peninsula. This area used to be owned by the Army, and Seattle's early growth halted at the borders of the military camp, spreading further inland instead. When the military left the camp became a huge city park, with hiking and bicycling trails where you can really feel alone in a piece of genuine wilderness. Eagles, foxes, sea lions, and even the occasional bear or cougar call this area home.

They aren't here to sightsee, though, or to watch birds and squirrels. They are here to meet with some wolves, and find out what they can about young Strongback and why he might have chosen the path of the skin-walker and the drive-by-shooter.

Victor pulls into the Daybreak Center parking lot, home of the Indian Cultural center and cultural outreach hall. Normally it is sparsely populated at this time in the morning, but a number of young men, and a few women the same age, are hanging around the steps when Andrew and Victor walk up.

"Oh crap," Andrew says. He was hoping that he would be able to walk in and see some of the elders, ask around about Strongback and maybe try to explain a few things about his past. He could have used Victor to at least make them listen and talk; the tribe might have no love for him right now, but the elders would respect the Emissary of the Lady of the Rains, at least.

"Oh hell no," says Ray Williams, former friend of Andrew, apprentice to the same teacher, and apparently one of the members of the Duwamish werewolf pack. About seven members of which, it seems, are standing behind him. His girlfriend Samantha and a few other Duwamish young women are also here. He crosses his arms and gets right up in Andrew's face. "We won't let you hurt anyone else, sorcerer. We saw what you did to Anthony last night, and trust me, we'll pay it back three times to you one of these days. Maybe today, if you don't turn around and get the hell out."

James_Sure_Woul
2012-11-05, 09:34 PM
Victor puts his arms in between the two before a fight breaks out.
"look, We don't want any trouble. Just let us pass, okay?"
Before the young werewolf even asks why, victor points to the design on his tie
"See this design? Since you're not an idiot, you know that it means I'm an emissary for The Lady. I'm here right now trying to collect evidence to defend Mr. Strongback in the SC. Do you really want to stop me from doing that AND piss off The Lady in the same action?"

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 10:37 PM
"See this design? Since you're not an idiot, you know that it means I'm an emissary for The Lady. I'm here right now trying to collect evidence to defend Mr. Strongback in the SC. Do you really want to stop me from doing that AND piss off The Lady in the same action?"

The effect on the other presumed werewolves is almost comical. From aggressive, bellicose stances with arms crossed and chests puffed out, all seven of them drop their shoulders and take quarter steps backward, leaving Ray alone in the front of the pack. He frowns, but doesn't back down.

"If the Emissary of the Lady has some business here, we welcome you. But this trash has broken the Laws of magic and disgraced the name of his teacher, our spiritual leader. We treated him like family and he turned to dark magic and sorcery. He doesn't take one step further unless it is through me."

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-05, 11:23 PM
"Oh come on, Ray. You're wrong on the first point, and whether or not I disgraced him is nothing to do with you." He looks sternly at the Duwamish man, appearing as if he is more offended that the other man has even came near him. He speaks quietly, but directly, to Ray, "I'm not even in the same league as you anymore. So back the hell off and stop trying to show off to the girls."


Presence roll, unless you'd prefer me roll intimidation - I really need to grab a moment to swap a point into that!
[roll0]+2+1+2=
Presence, Marked by Power and tagging the aspect I just declared he had, respectively.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-05, 11:28 PM
"I'm not even in the same league as you anymore. So back the hell off and stop trying to show off to the girls."


Ray's empathy as defense, tagging "Pack's got my Back" since his werewolves are there to give him courage:
+2+2= 3
He takes 3 stress.

The air chills as Andrew speaks, a little side effect of his power over which he has only a modicum of control. Mortal casters screw with technology, Winter casters tend to chill the air around them and give people the creeps. It's an occupational hazard, but right now it's helpful.

The girls behind Ray stand in anger, but one of the other guys wave at them not to interfere. Ray's expression goes from angry to livid, the veins on his forehead popping out. "I'm not the same kid you knew anymore, either. I'm not afraid of your black magic or your little parlor tricks. I've met a lot of deluded sorcerers like you, and I've beaten them all." He clenches his left fist around an ash wand with eagle feathers and charms hanging off it. A wave of purely mortal power radiates from him in a mirror of Andrew's demonstration, bringing the temperature back to normal and setting off the car alarm on a nearby sedan.

That's a lore check if you are interested in assessing his power relative to Andrew's.

And a social attack, using intimidation.
[roll]4d3-8+3= 3 (roll in OOC)

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-06, 12:14 AM
He momentarily looks down at the wand in Ray's hand, his lips curling into a frown as he returns to staring at the man. "I'm sure you have beaten a number of deluded sorcerers, Ray. But like I said, it's not even a contest. Because you've gotten the same point wrong a few times, now - my magic isn't black, you see. It's cold." Despite the rather tenuous grasp he has on his magic, he attempts to drop the temperature around them somewhat.


PresenceDiscipline! roll, and I'm going to just preemptively invoke Squire of the Winter Court for added affect.
[roll0]+4+1+2=6

Social Stress: [x][][]

Steel Mirror
2012-11-06, 12:28 AM
"I'm sure you have beaten a number of deluded sorcerers, Ray. But like I said, it's not even a contest. Because you've gotten the same point wrong a few times, now - my magic isn't black, you see. It's cold."

The interplay of power between the two young men isn't clear to anyone without magical senses, except as a palpable tension in the air and a prickling along the spine. The guys behind Ray mill around a bit and mutter, and Victor suppresses a shiver.

Ray grits his teeth and glares. "Bring it on, devil."

Discipline to intercept and challenge Andrew's magic directly.
[roll0]+4= 2

That's 4 stress, which Ray has to take a minor consequence to absorb. His 2 and 3 boxes are now full and "Out of my League" is available to tag.

It soon becomes clear that Ray is straining, Andrew hardly exerting himself. When Ray's breath begins condensing as it leaves his mouth, he breaks off the force of his concentration and growls in frustration. "You want to make me scared, but I'm don't fear you. I despise you. Tyler never got over what you did to him. He's tried to kill himself twice. The fact that you are proud of that power just means I don't have to feel bad, whatever I have to do to stop you."

It's the first Andrew has heard about the fate of his old friend since returning to Seattle. His concentration lapses, too, and the impromptu magical standoff ends.

That is a social attack on Andrew.

Sanguine
2012-11-06, 12:30 AM
Connor grits his teeth teeth squares his shoulders and pushes his way into the sea of reporters, dragging Chêne along behind him. If not for the occasional mumble of "No comment." an outside observer might think the detective was completely unaware of the reporters all around him. That was far from the case. Connor was all too aware of the blinding lights of the cameras, the incessant cacophony of questions, and the inexorable tide of bodies keeping him from making any progress toward the pub. He could feel the fury and frustration it was stirring within him and he ground his teeth as he fought to stifle it; preventing himself from doing something he would regret.

Steel Mirror
2012-11-06, 12:41 AM
"No comment."

"What are the conditions of the shooters in the hospital?"

"Will the police be releasing the names of the suspects?"

"Can you make any comment to the families of those who died in this attack and want an explanation?"

It's all noise to Connor, but that last comment cuts through his wall of emotional detachment. It's the first time he's heard of confirmed deaths from the shooting. He knew while administering first aid that a few of the victims were in bad shape, but it's still a fresh stab to know that people died, under his own damn roof, and he still doesn't know why or who is responsible.
That's another attack and a compel on "Righteous fury" to increase the strength of the attack by 2. So FP for you, and another social defense.
[roll0]+5= 7

Bunny of Faith
2012-11-06, 01:11 AM
Andrew opens his mouth to speak, then shuts it again as the memories that were already close to the surface due to being back here come rushing back. He closes his eyes, forcing the thoughts back and reminding himself why he came here.

Looking Ray right in the eyes once more, he says calmly, "I could spend hours explaining this to you, and it still wouldn't sink in. There was a time when we were friends, and I don't want to make you scared. But Ray, I'm only going to say this once," shouting the last part, "GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

Tagging Out of my League, and Childhood Rival if I haven't already (I don't think I did yet?). Going for presence but intimidation and conviction could probably be both argued, presence is just the middle ground between the two!
[roll0]+2+1+2+2=6