PDA

View Full Version : Is this fair to everyone and not too strong?

Flasaro
2012-11-01, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, 2nd time posting and been in the playground almost a year now :)
anyways so me and my friends and my dad (all of which I'm dming for) are running a campaign where we play ourselves. Now we're all pretty comfortable with our stats in that they're fair so that's not my question

We all received a blessing from the old gods that used to rule the world we appeared into. Each related to an element and some sort of domain and here's the blessing I gave to each person. (5 of us became level 3 and my dad is still level four but close to 5)

Anwar, the light. God of Light and Love
the recipient gets +2 wisdom and can add there wisdom bonus to how much they heal with cure spells and daylight that sheds actual sunlight 1/day

Zannos, watcher in the dark. God of Darkness and Knowledge
receive +2 intelligence, +1 to all knowledges and 60ft darkvision in any sort of darkness

Half of the Old God Endreius, God of storms now broken in to (for this character) Air and cunning.
the character gets +2 dexterity, disguise self 1/day, improved fient as a bonus feat and +5 bluff

Half of the Old God Endreius, God of storms now broken in to (for this character) Water and travel.
he gets +2 con, +10 movement speed, has freedom of movemen 1/day always knows north (whatevs) and can move half his land for an amount of rounds equal to his HD, to any kind of movement (fly,swim,climb,etc.)

Half of the Old God Dyrdarn, The world tree now broken in to (for this character) Earth and Protection
this guy gets +2 str DR 2/--, +2 natural armor and +1ac to adjacent allies

Half of the Old God Dyrdarn, The world tree now broken in to (for this character) Fire and war
receiving the blessings of +2 cha, proficiency with all weapons, +2 diplomacy and leadership score and finally weapon specialization as a bonus feat with chosen weapon

writing it down it seems like a bit much but at the same time these guys don't have any truly magic items right now and really wont aquire any as they kinda were transported into a world where wizards don't like to give there power to other people and therefore don't really craft items.

i also apologize for this giant block of text.

DracoDei
2012-11-01, 04:31 PM
There were no walls of text. You broke things up just fine, and you should see a lot of my stuff. I have a single base class that is half-way to being a splat-book, including a feat that is probably several hundred words long.

TuggyNE
2012-11-01, 06:59 PM
This looks fine, pretty tightly balanced for the most part. Basically, you've given everyone a +1 LA template, so you'll probably need to use slightly more powerful encounters, but the party as a whole should stay balanced with each other.

DracoDei
2012-11-01, 10:13 PM
I couldn't comment on if those are balanced with eachother or not... I would say that you don't need to toughen up the opposition relative to their levels if they get these from the start. They aren't a fraction of the things that standard kit in magic items would grant.

Flasaro
2012-11-01, 11:27 PM
thank you all for the feed back. I do know that it's not quite to par for standard gear but it'll be made up for by the end once they get other artifacts (not literaly) from their gods.

CthulhuEatYou
2012-11-02, 11:30 AM
Depending on their level I think:

Half of the Old God Endreius, God of storms now broken in to (for this character) Water and travel.
he gets +2 con, +10 movement speed, has freedom of movemen 1/day always knows north (whatevs) and can move half his land for an amount of rounds equal to his HD, to any kind of movement (fly,swim,climb,etc.)

And:

Half of the Old God Dyrdarn, The world tree now broken in to (for this character) Earth and Protection
this guy gets +2 str DR 2/--, +2 natural armor and +1ac to adjacent allies

Might be a little overpowered compared to the others.
The first one basically gives a Fly Speed of 20, a burrow speed of 20, a Climb Speed of 20 and a swim speed of 20 for a limited time, and Freedom of Movement once a day which is awesome.

The second is very powerful because it gives Damage reduction and natural armor, things characters normally first gets late in the game and almost always through magic items, so this essentially also gives them two free item slots they no longer need for those defensive items.

:)

Wyntonian
2012-11-02, 11:42 AM
Half of the Old God Dyrdarn, The world tree now broken in to (for this character) Fire and war
receiving the blessings of +2 cha, proficiency with all weapons, +2 diplomacy and leadership score and finally weapon specialization as a bonus feat with chosen weapon.

Just checking, did you intend for this to include all exotic weapons? Or just simple/martial?

DracoDei
2012-11-02, 01:01 PM
The second is very powerful because it gives Damage reduction and natural armor, things characters normally first gets late
An Amulet of Natural Armor +1 is only 2,000 GP. Of course the +2 version is 8,000 and most characters are going to want the ring of protection first since it applies to more attacks, so "late game" may technically be true.

in the game and almost always through magic items, so this essentially also gives them two free item slots they no longer need for those defensive items. :)
Given that in this particular campaign they are going to have a hard time filling those slots anyway, I'm not sure this is a big deal.

Flasaro
2012-11-02, 01:48 PM
Yes I did want it to include exotic weapons because i know this particular player is fond of bastard swords. I know that earth's was a bit overpowered and the same with water but is it severe compared to everyone else? and if so what would you do differently?

TuggyNE
2012-11-02, 05:02 PM
Might be a little overpowered compared to the others.
The first one basically gives a Fly Speed of 20, a burrow speed of 20, a Climb Speed of 20 and a swim speed of 20 for a limited time, and Freedom of Movement once a day which is awesome.

FoM is nice, and so are fly and burrow speeds, but the others are largely inconsequential. (If you want to tighten this down a bit more, up the power of the other granted abilities: disguise self becomes alter self, +1 to knowledge becomes +2, etc.)

The second is very powerful because it gives Damage reduction and natural armor, things characters normally first gets late in the game and almost always through magic items, so this essentially also gives them two free item slots they no longer need for those defensive items.

That depends; in my experience of low-mid op games, natural armor amulets start being a thing around level 5 or so, and barbarians get DR 2/- at level 10. Neither is really late-game, or particularly unusual. Arguably, DR is often overrated. Also, while the natural armor boost stacks with e.g. barkskin or Amulet of Natural Armor, the DR does not.

If you like, though, you could drop the DR and reduce it to just the natural armor, as that will scale better.