PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars TV Series Query

Hopeless
2012-11-04, 07:41 AM
If they do go ahead with this now that Disney has bought the rights to Star Wars what would you like to see?

Me I was wondering about it being set in the fringe with atypical smuggler and his crew ala firefly but hiding the fact they have their own reasons to stay clear of the Core Worlds and the Empire.

Perhaps have one be an Imperial spy who is only revealed after an encounter with a friend of the smuggler whose killed when the spy's allies attempt to capture the friend and the smuggler discovers the betrayal but not before the spy escapes and is then an occasional nemesis for the group as the Rebellion escalates since how do they gather that much resources and build so many x-Wings without the Empire locating their manufacturing bases?

So a freighter with a smuggler as captain perhaps female for a change, co-pilot could be near human to avoid too much prosthetics, engineer and perhaps a gunner or mercenary who is briefly suspected of being the spy until the co-pilot is revealed (better yet make her a Chiss and have the red eyes be cgi so avoid painful contact lenses unless they're easier and not painful to the actor/actress to pull off) as the spy or maybe have a doctor aboard whose able to help the engineer, might be nice to have an R2 at least aboard with a few personality glitches of its own.

What do you think?

Cikomyr
2012-11-04, 07:45 AM
Star Wars Legacy: the TV Serie.

Make it dark. Make it grim. Make some of the villains morally ambiguous, and some of the heroes ambiguous as well.

Zevox
2012-11-04, 08:24 AM
The option of a TV series based on the X-Wing novels came up in the other Star Wars thread, and it's one I'd be interested in seeing. Their basic setting and plot - picking up immediately after Return of the Jedi and following the Rebellion's continuing struggle against the Empire as they begin working to establish their New Republic in the wake of the Emperor's death - seems perfect, since it follows directly from the original trilogy's story. It's also very nice to have Star Wars stories that don't center around Jedi and Sith, and the X-Wing books were a rare and quite good example of that, instead starring the fighter pilots of Rogue Squadron.

Some things would likely need to be changed if the new movie does end up invalidating large chunks of the EU, but since those books picked up right after the OT they probably have the least to worry about in that regard.

Zevox

Hopeless
2012-11-04, 08:59 AM
You know i forgot to add one additional bit, who would you like to see starring in a Star Wars TV Series?

For example if its based on the Rogue Squadron who would you want to play Wedge Antilles?

I am assuming the Disney catalogue of actors/actresses would have first say so who would you'd like to see?

Actually maybe a post on whom has been involved in the first of those books would make a good start?

Cikomyr
2012-11-04, 09:18 AM
You know i forgot to add one additional bit, who would you like to see starring in a Star Wars TV Series?

For example if its based on the Rogue Squadron who would you want to play Wedge Antilles?

I am assuming the Disney catalogue of actors/actresses would have first say so who would you'd like to see?

Actually maybe a post on whom has been involved in the first of those books would make a good start?

Nathan Fillion? :smallbiggrin:

Renegade Paladin
2012-11-04, 09:22 AM
Denis Lawson, ideally, though thirty years after RotJ I don't know if he'd be up to reprising his role. Probably not, actually, as he's 65 or so these days...

Zevox
2012-11-04, 09:53 AM

I'm afraid I can't answer that, given I know basically nothing about actors. I've never bothered to pay attention to them.

You mean characters? The main three were Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, and Corran Horn - all human men. Further members... lets see, the books have character lists at the front...

The squadron from the first book was those three, Nawara Ven (a male Twi'Lek), Gavin Darklighter (brother of Luke's friend Biggs Darklighter, who died in the first movie in the attack on the Death Star), Erisi Dlarit (a woman from Thyferra, becomes important a couple of books into the series), and a half-dozen others that I don't remember being especially important. It has been a while since I read them though.

One character that joins later on and becomes a major recurring character and big source of comic relief that I could see being used from the start instead in a TV adaptation would be Wes Janson, another human male.

The main villain of the first few books is Ysanne Isard, the Director of Imperial Intelligence, who basically takes over ruling Corruscant after the Emperor's death.

Some movie characters like Admiral Ackbar or Han Solo do show up at times, but mostly to give the squadron their orders and discuss the situations the Rebellion finds itself in.

Oh, and there's also Mirax Terrik, a smuggler who eventually becomes Corran's love interest, and her father Booster Terrik, also a smuggler.

Zevox

Hawriel
2012-11-04, 11:11 AM
A few Names missing from your list Zevox

Derek Hobbie Klivian
I think Klivian was Luke's wingman.

Ooryl Qyrgg Was a Gand pilot in the novels and Corran Horn's side kick character.

Renegade Paladin
2012-11-04, 11:22 AM
Wes Janson is also a movie character, though a minor one; he's Wedge's gunner in the Battle of Hoth. Hobbie was Luke's wingman in the same scene, yes.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-04, 12:13 PM
It would be an Odd Couple style sitcom starring a pacifist Jedi and HK-47. The two are best friends and roommates, despite HK-47's intense loathing for meatbags and the Jedi's disdain for not murdering people.

Most of the show's humor comes from that HK-47 "accidentally" murders someone and the two have to work together to hide the body, Weekend at Bernie's style, or else their Hutt landlord will evict them.

Other stars include a freeloading wookie who's almost always seen on the couch playing video games, a lovable R2 unit janitor, two antagonistic next-door neighbors played by a Sith Lord and a palette swap of Boba Fett, and Zooey Deschanel playing a Twi'lek romantic interest that the Jedi can never pursue because he's a Jedi.

In the pilot, an Ewok is delivered to the apartment by mistake and the two have to try and take care of it until the issue gets sorted out and they can find its real parents. Of course HK-47 "accidentally" murders it about halfway through the episode and they spend the rest of the episode covering it up.

Starbuck_II
2012-11-04, 12:17 PM
If they do go ahead with this now that Disney has bought the rights to Star Wars what would you like to see?

Me I was wondering about it being set in the fringe with atypical smuggler and his crew ala firefly but hiding the fact they have their own reasons to stay clear of the Core Worlds and the Empire.

Perhaps have one be an Imperial spy who is only revealed after an encounter with a friend of the smuggler whose killed when the spy's allies attempt to capture the friend and the smuggler discovers the betrayal but not before the spy escapes and is then an occasional nemesis for the group as the Rebellion escalates since how do they gather that much resources and build so many x-Wings without the Empire locating their manufacturing bases?

So a freighter with a smuggler as captain perhaps female for a change, co-pilot could be near human to avoid too much prosthetics, engineer and perhaps a gunner or mercenary who is briefly suspected of being the spy until the co-pilot is revealed (better yet make her a Chiss and have the red eyes be cgi so avoid painful contact lenses unless they're easier and not painful to the actor/actress to pull off) as the spy or maybe have a doctor aboard whose able to help the engineer, might be nice to have an R2 at least aboard with a few personality glitches of its own.

What do you think?

An ewok mage (using a force item as he himself doesn't use the force like a wand), hires a smuggler to take him to see a old friend, they get in trouble wsith the smugglers "old business" and are on the run from the empire.

Along the way they recruit others.

Hopeless
2012-11-04, 12:18 PM
It would be an Odd Couple style sitcom starring a pacifist Jedi and HK-47. The two are best friends and roommates, despite HK-47's intense loathing for meatbags and the Jedi's disdain for not murdering people.

Most of the show's humor comes from that HK-47 "accidentally" murders someone and the two have to work together to hide the body, Weekend at Bernie's style, or else their Hutt landlord will evict them.

Other stars include a freeloading wookie who's almost always seen on the couch playing video games, a lovable R2 unit janitor, two antagonistic next-door neighbors played by a Sith Lord and a palette swap of Boba Fett, and Zooey Deschanel playing a Twi'lek romantic interest that the Jedi can never pursue because he's a Jedi.

In the pilot, an Ewok is delivered to the apartment by mistake and the two have to try and take care of it until the issue gets sorted out and they can find its real parents. Of course HK-47 "accidentally" murders it about halfway through the episode and they spend the rest of the episode covering it up.

Hasn't Robot Chicken done this?

If not why not?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-11-04, 05:54 PM
I'd like to see a Rouge Squadron series set after ROTJ, but I'd prefer it if they followed a much lesser known squadron (Blue Squadron? Veridian Squadron?) since it lets the director/writer work with their own creations rather than someone else's. Less fan-outrage then since there's no OT character to screw-up.

Fragenstein
2012-11-05, 02:17 PM
A Jedi Academy storyline featuring the freshman year of a youngling who, though mysterious circumstances nobody understands, survived the normally unstoppable attack of a powerful sith lord.

This youngling, marked by a scar and a strangely unexpected connection to the sith lord (down to their light sabers being constructed from crystals cut from the same larger mass), must then adventure his two friends to prevent the sith's restoration to power.

Of course, nobody on the Jedi Council believes a word of their campaign except wise old Yoda. Yet even he is limited in how far he might interfere because of prophecy.

Smaller storylines could easily be generated as the scarred youngling discovers his talent for the game Force Ball and that his deceased father used to be a real jerk to the current chemistry teacher.

Hopeless
2012-11-05, 03:03 PM
A Jedi Academy storyline featuring the freshman year of a youngling who, though mysterious circumstances nobody understands, survived the normally unstoppable attack of a powerful sith lord.

This youngling, marked by a scar and a strangely unexpected connection to the sith lord (down to their light sabers being constructed from crystals cut from the same larger mass), must then adventure his two friends to prevent the sith's restoration to power.

Of course, nobody on the Jedi Council believes a word of their campaign except wise old Yoda. Yet even he is limited in how far he might interfere because of prophecy.

Smaller storylines could easily be generated as the scarred youngling discovers his talent for the game Force Ball and that his deceased father used to be a real jerk to the current chemistry teacher.

More importantly has he enough presence and chemistry with his fellow pupils to avoid the Anakin effect?

Giggling Ghast
2012-11-05, 03:06 PM
I would like to see a TV series about the continuing adventures of Jar Jar Binks following the Return of the Jedi.

It's Disney! It could happen! :smalltongue:

Kitten Champion
2012-11-05, 03:10 PM
Something where lightsabers rarely, if ever, appear. Anything Han Solo-ish is cool with me.

If you really must include Jedi, at the very least steal something good from samurai movies and westerns. There are a lot of 'em.

Cikomyr
2012-11-05, 03:40 PM
Something where lightsabers rarely, if ever, appear. Anything Han Solo-ish is cool with me.

If you really must include Jedi, at the very least steal something good from samurai movies and westerns. There are a lot of 'em.

This is why Legacy would be nice. Have Jedis be on the run..

The Glyphstone
2012-11-05, 03:53 PM
Star Wars Holiday Special: The Sequel.

snoopy13a
2012-11-05, 08:04 PM
I'd hire Joss Wheldon to make a Firefly-style show in the Star Wars universe. My only condition: no Twi'leks.

My other show idea would involve a group of Ewok Jedi Knights :smallsmile:

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-05, 08:53 PM
As it's likely we're going to screw continuity anyway, why not go the whole hog?

TIE Fighter the series, in which the protagonist and his elite squad of arrogant, smug, moustache-twirling-if-they-had-them Imperial Pilots kill rebels and alien scum with extreme awesome. Season One would have them spifflicate Admiral Zaarin's revolution before it begins, and the climax would be that this allows Thrawn and the TIE Defenders, TIE Avengers and Missile Boats to show up and Endor, and utterly crush the rebellion into powder; and then in season 2, help Thrawn become the new Emperor after the unfortunate tragedy of Endor and the loss of the Emperor and the Death Star (which, thanks to Thrawn, did not cost the Empire the battle). And eventually, one season could be the ridiculously awesomely improved Empire steamrollering over the hapless invading vong in a massive one-sided curbstomp, while laughing.

What?

An Imperial loyalist can dream, right...?

Traab
2012-11-05, 09:30 PM

I would like something along these lines, only done seriously. Unless you want to setup a series that uses already established characters, such as Anakin, The Youngling Years, creating some new random child jedi student would be a neat idea. Leave the time frame a bit vague, and avoid the current canon, so the entire storyline isnt ruined by those who read the EU. The series starts with him as a youngling, covers him making friends, enemies, learning to be a jedi, after a season or two of this he gets chosen by some jedi as a padawan, and the real storyline unfolds from there. There is some major threat in the galaxy, and his master is involved with trying to stop it. The new kid has to prove his competence before his master starts listening to him, but as episodes go by, they become more and more of a team instead of a teacher/student setup.

You can have drama/angst with the student falling for a girl but trying to deny it because, well, jedi. Give him some sort of a past that could tie into future events for the sense of mystery and destiny. Add in plenty of fights, both small and large scale for excitement, and you have a pretty solid all around series to work with.

Another idea, is a jedi detective series. Or even a Kung Fu The Legend Continues style setup. The main character is a jedi knight who is something of a galactic troubleshooter. He hears about problems somewhere and he goes and fixes them. Solves the mystery, stops the bad guy, saves the girl, big damn hero, the works. Whether he is working on orders from the council, or is basically a wandering jedi, (or one that quit for whatever reason but keeps his skills sharp) Whatever, it can all work.

Hopeless
2012-11-06, 04:48 AM
I'd hire Joss Wheldon to make a Firefly-style show in the Star Wars universe. My only condition: no Twi'leks.

My other show idea would involve a group of Ewok Jedi Knights :smallsmile:

You do realise that very thought now sprouted within the very darkest nightmares of stormtroopers everywhere?:smallbiggrin:

What I'd like to see is a series that shows both points of view.

Say we start off with a kick ass battle as the Empire assaults a fringe world thats been fingered as a hotspot for rebel sympathisers and is being used as an example to other fringe worlds to keep them in line.
Lots of people are killed and the local government has sealed its garrison to prove its loyalty to the Empire so the only defence is in the hands of mercenaries and locals who are fighting for their lives against an unprovoked attack.

Shift it three months earlier where we meet the same people as the star destroyer and its crew and soldiers are taking shore leave here with noone the wiser about what will happen three months later and the series works on both viewpoints revealing as it goes what led to the attack and ultimately how the Empire is truly evil but does have its reasons for what its doing.

I'd have the first season climax with the actual battle shown in episode 1 and 2 (two parter what else!) which if it makes a second season goes into the aftermath of this battle where we see the foundation of the Rebel movement in this system and go from there developing the enemies that survived the first season, the tragedies that has scarred both sides and add a few new cast as the fledgling resistance has to keep moving to avoid the Imperial patrols as they're being hunted by the very same force that annihiliated their homeworld...

The second season climax would have them fighting that very star destroyer and blowing it up earning the ire of the survivors who are so battle scarred physically and mentally that they've forgotten they started this bitter conflict.

Oh and I'd avoid Jedi make sure there's maybe a few force sensitive but any full on Jedi are cameo's only and avoid involvement with the rebellion when it becomes clear the Empire's own force users are better able to hunt them down if they do.

After all there should be a reason why Luke is the only known Jedi involved as of a New Hope!

Cikomyr
2012-11-06, 09:30 AM
How about the Power Jedi Rangers?

Lightsaber of every Rangers' color!! :smallbiggrin:

Kitten Champion
2012-11-06, 09:44 AM
How about this -- take the plot of Cowboy Bebop, convert it into the Star Wars Universe, make Jet a former imperial spy, Faye a Twi'lek, and Spike's ship into an retro X-Wing.

Done.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-06, 10:01 AM
How about this -- take the plot of Cowboy Bebop, convert it into the Star Wars Universe, make Jet a former imperial spy, Faye a Twi'lek, and Spike's ship into an retro X-Wing.

Done.

Would that make Radical Ed an R2-Unit and Vicious a Sith Lord?

If so, I'm in.

Kitten Champion
2012-11-06, 10:40 AM
Would that make Radical Ed an R2-Unit and Vicious a Sith Lord?

If so, I'm in.

I don't mind Ed being recast as a droid generally, but she's so much better with a real personality and human language. Artoo-detoo only really worked as the silly one in a Manzai comedy act throughout the original trilogy -- as taken from Hidden Fortress. Taken individually R2's just kind of annoying. Shoehorning that C3PO/R2 comedy pairing into yet another SW series just reeks of the same dearth of creativity the prequels suffered from.

Then again, I am purposing plagiarizing an anime series from the 90's I happen to really like, so yeah -- let's go with that.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-06, 11:05 AM
I don't mind Ed being recast as a droid generally, but she's so much better with a real personality and human language. Artoo-detoo only really worked as the silly one in a Manzai comedy act throughout the original trilogy -- as taken from Hidden Fortress. Taken individually R2's just kind of annoying. Shoehorning that C3PO/R2 comedy pairing into yet another SW series just reeks of the same dearth of creativity the prequels suffered from.

Then again, I am purposing plagiarizing an anime series from the 90's I happen to really like, so yeah -- let's go with that.

Maybe she could be a cyborg with R2 parts.

No, I don't know how that would work...

Kitten Champion
2012-11-06, 11:12 AM
Maybe she could be a cyborg with R2 parts.

No, I don't know how that would work...

There is that guy in Cloud City, ya'know, that guy. A cyborg like that.

They could keep Ed as is, and then give her a GLaDOS-like friend.

Cikomyr
2012-11-06, 01:21 PM
As it's likely we're going to screw continuity anyway, why not go the whole hog?

TIE Fighter the series, in which the protagonist and his elite squad of arrogant, smug, moustache-twirling-if-they-had-them Imperial Pilots kill rebels and alien scum with extreme awesome. Season One would have them spifflicate Admiral Zaarin's revolution before it begins, and the climax would be that this allows Thrawn and the TIE Defenders, TIE Avengers and Missile Boats to show up and Endor, and utterly crush the rebellion into powder; and then in season 2, help Thrawn become the new Emperor after the unfortunate tragedy of Endor and the loss of the Emperor and the Death Star (which, thanks to Thrawn, did not cost the Empire the battle). And eventually, one season could be the ridiculously awesomely improved Empire steamrollering over the hapless invading vong in a massive one-sided curbstomp, while laughing.

What?

An Imperial loyalist can dream, right...?

Why not a mix of this and a story around Rogue Squadron of Spectre Squadron?

I mean, the point would be to show the humanity of both sides. People who meet on the battlefield without ever meeting eyes can get to know a lot of each others...

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-06, 01:43 PM
Why not a mix of this and a story around Rogue Squadron of Spectre Squadron?

I mean, the point would be to show the humanity of both sides. People who meet on the battlefield without ever meeting eyes can get to know a lot of each others...

Well, mostly because not showing the Empire as irredeemibly Evil, moustache-twirling, delightfully-casually-murderous nut-jobs would be missing my point somewhat, speaking as an Imperial loyalist...

I mean, I guess I'd settle for that... But I have a particular bugbear about Evil Can't Have Nice Things, which Star Wars in particular is very bad at; virtually all the time when the Empire gets something cool, the good guys, someway, somehow, end up nicking it. (Rebels get Wedge, Empire gets Soontir Fel - oh, wait, no, they don't. Emperor's Hand - oh wait, no. They didn't even get to keep their Dark Troopers or advanced fighters (or even Thrawn, for that matter), and even the Boba Fett/Storm Troopers became "not-so-bad-after-all" where the Clone Troopers came along. And, most personally insultingly and risibly of all the "protagonist" of TIE Fighter1 Marik Steele.)

I don't want "relatable" villain protagonists, I want to see the villain protagonists win for once AS villain protagonists, not as watered-down "they aren't so bad after all" because Star Wars has done that to death already. (Seriously, even the RPGs generally expected you to play "Imperials placed in a hard position" if playign Empire, and even Zahn's 501st were a just a very fraction too "human" in my opinion. Notably, in the four or five major SW RPG games I have played in over the years the two biggest and most memorable have been Imperial parties who very much didn't play into that trope, and spent their times killing Rebel Scum and being nasty to non-humans, because there's no point playing the bad guys if you're not going to play the bad guys and milk it for all it's worth.)

1This is of course, a blatant lie perpetuated by the Rebels to cover up the real events. The True Hero of TIE Fighter was a Hard-Core Imperial loyalist and Emperor's Hand, Dark Side and proud of it, and Marik Steele was merely his Comedically Inept Wingman. Any source that says otherwise is lying - even if George Lucas (or whoever is in charge of Disney or whatever) tells you otherwise in person - that just means the rebels got to them first.

Traab
2012-11-06, 04:11 PM
Is it wrong of me to want anything else BUT established story lines turned into a series? I just dont want a series where we know the ending 5 seasons early. Imagine it if Lost had been a book first. The spoilers would have been splayed across the internet from day 1. I want an original storyline, with unique characters, whose history is not already covered in the EU. The galactic empire/republic is a VERY large place. So long as the series doesnt bring in galactic level threats it would be easy to justify us not knowing of what was going on at this time.

Another idea that just popped into my head. A series that basically encourages you to read the EU books because the events that happen make you curious about the backstory, and to find out what happens afterwards. They are connected to the various established series then end with some sort of tag that points you in the right direction, "Oh gee, I do hope Kyle Katarn will be ok now." (Im sure I messed up his name but you get the idea)

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-06, 04:15 PM
Is it wrong of me to want anything else BUT established story lines turned into a series? I just dont want a series where we know the ending 5 seasons early. Imagine it if Lost had been a book first. The spoilers would have been splayed across the internet from day 1. I want an original storyline, with unique characters, whose history is not already covered in the EU. The galactic empire/republic is a VERY large place. So long as the series doesnt bring in galactic level threats it would be easy to justify us not knowing of what was going on at this time.

To be fair even if Lost was a book first they just would've made up more stuff as they went along anyway.

Tiki Snakes
2012-11-06, 05:00 PM
I don't want "relatable" villain protagonists, I want to see the villain protagonists win for once AS villain protagonists, not as watered-down "they aren't so bad after all" because Star Wars has done that to death already.

Thing about the kind of Villain protagonist you'd like to see is, it may not have much appeal outside of a certain demographic. The undead midlands demographic particularly. :smallwink:

Generally speaking, unapologetic capitol letters Evil And Knows It protagonist characters are rare because it's a very unnatural, unintuitive and arguably suspension of disbelief straining mindset. A good villain, it is held, is one who on some level makes sense. The old line is that no one truly believes themselves to be Evil, a villain will usually think that his actions are justified for some reason (Might makes right, greater good, psychological trauma, etc). Simply doing evil things because Evil is Cool can make for a refreshingly vile villain occaisionally, but it's just not protagonist material.

Though some things blur that line accidentally by trying to make their protagonist more of an uncompromising Brutal Badass. Seriously, try watching clips from a Steven Segal movie with the sound down).

Edit - A series focusing on a squad of Stormtroopers or some other loose grouping of Imperial Troops could be very interesting though. You'd have them all dealing with personal issues, political issues and their takes on it, trying to make sense of their role in the war and the conflicting propaganda of the two sides. Also as many gunfights and vehicular battle as the budget allows, obviously.
By the end of the series, you'd have the various different characters making choices and going their own ways. Best friends reduced to shooting each other, some denying the evil of the Empire, some acknoledging it but staying loyal anyway because they have the opportunity to advance (For the Empire, only with blackjack and hookers!), and some may even turn traitor and defect to the same rebellion they spent the last series fighting.

It could be a fun ride.

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-06, 05:16 PM
Thing about the kind of Villain protagonist you'd like to see is, it may not have much appeal outside of a certain demographic. The undead midlands demographic particularly. :smallwink:

The popularity of Dungeon Keeper and it's ilk back in the day (and all the Good/Evil side of RPGs, especially Star Wars RPGs) would seem to indicate otherwise (and, really, so does the entire slasher genera to an extent.) Victorious villain protagonosts is merely the logical extension of both the slasher genera and the all-pervading torture-the-heroes/grim/gritty/grimdark fetish modern media seems to be taken with. If all you're going to watch is people suffering all the time, you may as well have a laugh with it at the same time.

Tiki Snakes
2012-11-06, 05:23 PM
Well, I've never played much Dungeon Keeper, but I always got the impression they were muddying the moral waters and portraying the forces of light as being intolerant and horrid in their own right. Games are a different media though, and even in games (where the main goal of the story is often to give you an excuse to butcher a whole lot of something) real villain protagonists are vanishingly rare, especially outside of games that don't also allow for the option of the alternative.

(And the darkside/closed fist/badside writing in most sliding-scale morality system based games is often so painfully bad that I'm not sure they're a good argument for anything really, other than games avoiding good/evil scales).

The type of Villain Protagonist story you're talking about is really just a Hero Loses story, though, told from the point of view of the complete and utter monster the heroes are losing to.

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-06, 05:48 PM
Well, I've never played much Dungeon Keeper, but I always got the impression they were muddying the moral waters and portraying the forces of light as being intolerant and horrid in their own right.

Not in any remote sense, no.

Here is an absolute sense of exactly the level DK worked on:

Eversmile - Set in the realm of joy, the people of Eversmile are plagued only by aching facial muscles, and not anthrax as we had hoped. Eversmile is a disgusting land of good humour and polite frivolity.

Brana Hawk - War and anthrax have taken to this land likes fleas to a rat. The region is, thanks to your unstinting efforts, now a major eyesore.

Cozyton - A hideous sham of a town, in which the prosperous citizens have no gripes or moans. Sadly, even the children are happy and secure. This is because they aren't punished for non-existant crimes...

Darkhana - The surviving citizens have more on their plates than a Demon Spawn with three dead adventurers to munch. Not that many citizens have survived, as such.

(Note, the VA really sells these briefs.)

DK was absolutely unequivocally your Evil Legions systematically crushing a succession of utopian realms that were almost Equestrian in pleasantness and nicenitude, while laughing.

And it was one of the best games ever produced.

The type of Villain Protagonist story you're talking about is really just a Hero Loses story, though, told from the point of view of the complete and utter monster the heroes are losing to.

See: almost the entire slasher genera.

It's just well overdue that a villain protagonist was done with a bit more panche than in a slasher, and the Empire could do - and has done - it very well (TIE Fighter wasn't one of the best games of all time just because of the game mechanics, or it would have one-upped by the later games, it was because you were playing the bad guy to the hilt. See also Empire at War, Star Wars Supremacy, or any other SW game that allows an Evil Win.)

Fjolnir
2012-11-06, 05:57 PM
The popularity of Dungeon Keeper and it's ilk back in the day (and all the Good/Evil side of RPGs, especially Star Wars RPGs) would seem to indicate otherwise (and, really, so does the entire slasher genera to an extent.) Victorious villain protagonosts is merely the logical extension of both the slasher genera and the all-pervading torture-the-heroes/grim/gritty/grimdark fetish modern media seems to be taken with. If all you're going to watch is people suffering all the time, you may as well have a laugh with it at the same time.

I would actually like to see a series where you see the heroes do the thing, then see spin by the media in a later episode (not always the next but certainly within the same season)