PDA

View Full Version : Wizards vs Aliens (Russell T Davies New Show)

Sunken Valley
2012-11-05, 09:56 AM
Russell T Davies is the man who brought back Dr Who. You may be wondering what he's doing now that he left Who in 2009 and Sarah Jane Adventures stopped in 2011 due to no Sarah Jane.

He made a new kids show called Wizards vs Aliens. It does have some naff special effects at times but it does what it says on the tin.

Check out the first two eps, but they only work if you live in the UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/wizards-vs-aliens)

Hopeless
2012-11-05, 11:08 AM
I didn't know it was on, so I guess the important question is... is it any good (other than the special effects of course!)?

Sunken Valley
2012-11-05, 11:26 AM
I didn't know it was on, so I guess the important question is... is it any good (other than the special effects of course!)?

Its on 5:15 Mondays and Tuesday on CBBC.

Its similar quality to Sarah Jane, maybe a bit better. Obviously you can tell from the vocab its for kids.

And the only naff special effect is the Nekross King. He appears to be the Big Bad but the animatronic looks cheesy. At least he is voiced by Brian Blessed.

HandofShadows
2012-11-05, 12:05 PM
And the only naff special effect is the Nekross King. He appears to be the Big Bad but the animatronic looks cheesy. At least he is voiced by Brian Blessed.

Given the talents of the people involved, I have to wonder if it looks they way for a reason.

Senator Cybus
2012-11-05, 08:55 PM
Its similar quality to Sarah Jane, maybe a bit better.

A bold claim, sir! Sounds good; I'll have to give this a watch. Plus, it gives me hope that one of the networks will pick up my pilot for Leprechauns Vs. Werewolves...

Dr.Epic
2012-11-05, 09:12 PM
Wizards and aliens? What a ridiculous concept! Not like Cowboys and Aliens that's for sure.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Sunken Valley
2012-11-06, 09:01 AM
Wizards and aliens? What a ridiculous concept! Not like Cowboys and Aliens that's for sure.:smallwink::smalltongue:

It is about as much like Cowboys and Aliens as Monsters vs Aliens is like Cowboys and Aliens. And it is like neither of these.

It is a sort of Buddy Drama about two teenage boys Tom and Benny (Tom is a wizard and Benny is a science nerd) in present day 2012 UK. Its about how they bond together after they start fighting an alien invasion. The aliens feed on magic and wish to take the magic of earth, the last planet with magic. Tom and Benny try to stop their plot. They are helped by supporting characters such as Tom's father and grandmother (the latter of whom is also a wizard and played by annette badland). Interesting concepts as well, such as magic being only available 3 times a day and Tom being a popular kid (as opposed to secret wizards being nerds like in most media). Brian Blessed is also in it, as the evil Nekross King.

Thufir
2012-11-06, 09:07 AM
Hmm. Who is this Russel T Davis and why is he trying to make the same shows as the similarly named but clearly more talented Russell T Davies?

Or to put it another way, correct your thread title, please, it's annoying me and I don't understand why spelling people's names correctly is so difficult.

Sunken Valley
2012-11-06, 06:06 PM
Hmm. Who is this Russel T Davis and why is he trying to make the same shows as the similarly named but clearly more talented Russell T Davies?

Or to put it another way, correct your thread title, please, it's annoying me and I don't understand why spelling people's names correctly is so difficult.

Will do, sorry I have problems with the spelling and such some times.

Although Russel T Davis was the head writer of Doctr Who in 2005-2009 before being replaced by Stephen Mofat :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2012-11-06, 07:52 PM
It is about as much like Cowboys and Aliens as Monsters vs Aliens is like Cowboys and Aliens. And it is like neither of these.

So they have as much to do with each other as Halloween and Halloween III have to do with each other.:smallwink: