PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Paladin Archetype: Gray Guard (PEACH)

legomaster00156
2012-11-07, 05:33 PM
Gray Guard
Some Paladins are disillusioned to the wickedness of the world, and realize that sometimes the weapons of the enemy must be used for the greater good. Most still worship a higher cause, but some may cut ties with the church completely (or vice versa). They are often looked upon with suspicion by other Paladins and by the common people. However, they are willing to bear the burden of despisal, because these Gray Guards know that they are doing right for the world... even when nobody else does.

Class skills: A Gray Guard loses Handle Animal and Heal. They gain Bluff, Intimidate, and Stealth.

Code of Conduct: A Gray Guard has a slightly more relaxed Code than other Paladins. They must be Lawful Good or Neutral Good. They can associate with Evil-aligned creatures, but they must be trying to redeem them. They may accept followers and cohorts who are of any non-Evil alignment. They may use "dishonorable" tactics like ambushes, poisons, and even assassination freely, so long as their alignment does not shift away from Lawful Good or Neutral Good. A Gray Guard may not take Oaths.

Aura of Mystery (Su): A Gray Guard's alignment cannot be detected magically without succeeding on a Sense Motive check (DC 10+1/2 Paladin's level+Paladin's CHA). Failure simply gives no reading, as if the Gray Guard was under the effect of Undetectable Alignment. This replaces Aura of Good.

Smite Evil (Su): The Paladin may use Smite Evil 1x/day at 1st level, and gains an additional use of Smite Evil every 7 levels thereafter. This ability otherwise functions as the Paladin ability of the same name.

Underhanded Tactics (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Gray Guard adds 1/2 his class level to all Bluff, Intimidate, and Stealth checks, and his armor check penalty does not apply to Stealth checks. This ability replaces the Paladin's Lay on Hands.

Sneak Attack (Ex): A Gray Guard gains +1d6 Sneak Attack damage at 3rd level, as the Rogue ability of the same name. This ability increases by +1d6 damage every 3 levels afterwards. This ability replaces the Paladin's Mercies.

Divine Bond (Su): Starting at 5th level, a Gray Guard must form a bond with his weapon. He loses the ability to add the properties Axiomatic and Merciful. This ability otherwise functions as the Paladin ability of the same name.

----------

I wanted to make a Paladin archetype that was almost Inquisitor-like, without completely losing out on the feel of the Paladin like the actual Inquisitor class. I decided to loosely base it off of 3.5's Gray Guard, hence the name. While it is an archetype rather than a Prestige Class, and it's focused more on stealth tactics, I hope that it suits the role of "gritty paladin" well enough, while being a balanced archetype. So, please review.

BlackMKIII
2012-11-08, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure about losing Diplomacy, as one may still be able to sweet talk their way out of a situation. Since you've limited their bond to a weapon, maybe drop Handle Animal instead?

legomaster00156
2012-11-08, 01:40 PM
Hm... that may be a good idea. I'll do that instead.

Amnoriath
2012-11-10, 12:54 AM
I don't think giving more damage to an already high damage class really is the answer. A Gray Guard to me emulated some more Inquisitor-like charcteristics in which rather than try to be some paradigm you do what you believed to advance the cause you have. As such I think you should trade some of the leader and support healer aspects for more versatility and possibly debuff.

Zahhak
2012-11-12, 01:25 PM
This seems in many ways similar to the Grey Warden class in Dragon Age. Maybe you should look them up.