PDA

View Full Version : The Nightmare Shards IC



Illithilich
2012-11-07, 05:38 PM
He stood in the middle of the meadow he had always visited in his childhood, the wind blowing up the pollen of the flowers. His nose tingled, and he felt a sneeze coming on. As he tried to lift his arm to his face, he heard a cracking. Looking down, he saw that his body had turned to brittle, irridescent glass. He could feel his heart race as he tried to stay still and stifle his sneeze, flakes of him drifting off in the wind. Despite his best efforts the pollen tickled his nose and danced across his face. He sneezed. Chunks of glass fell from his body, and his lungs filled with the shattered pieces of his throat. He collapsed, coughing violently as his body tore itself to shining pieces. He awoke with a start. Around him was nothing but the darkness. With a focusing of his will, his eyes shone with their own light. He saw that he was still in the back of his wagon, lying in a tangle of his blankets. Sighing with relief, he crawled to the opening in the front of the wagon and pulled himself back into the driver seat. He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep again that night, the nightmares were getting worse. But he was loyal, and he only needed to carry the thing in his pocket for a little longer. He could even see the light of the town ahead, the last one between him and his destination. Soon his burden would be gone, and his loyalty rewarded.

In the town of Lendril, south of Cragwar, a group meets once again. In the same tavern where they've met many times before, they gather. One by one they arrive, unaware of the uninvited guest heading their way.

OOC:
Here's how this is going to work, at the beginning of the adventure your going to be arriving at the tavern for your meeting. The order of when your characters arrive is the same order of your first posts in this thread. So, the first poster is first to arrive at the tavern, the second the second, and so on. If you want to arrive at the same time as someone else then please say this in your post.

If First to Arrive:
After your long journey once again you've arrived at the town of Lendril. Walking through the familiar streets you easily make you way to the Battered Flagon, the same tavern and inn where your group has been meeting for years. Walking in you see the first unfamiliar thing since sighting the town, a new barmaid. She leads you to the same back room you've always met in. You seem to be the first to arrive.

If Second to Arrive:
After your long journey once again you've arrived at the town of Lendril. Walking through the familiar streets you easily make you way to the Battered Flagon, the same tavern and inn where your group has been meeting for years. Walking in you see the first unfamiliar thing since sighting the town, a new barmaid. She leads you to the same back room you've always met in. It seems that your not the first one to arrive.

Everyone Else:
After your long journey once again you've arrived at the town of Lendril. Walking through the familiar streets you easily make you way to the Battered Flagon, the same tavern and inn where your group has been meeting for years. Walking in you see the first unfamiliar thing since sighting the town, a new barmaid. She leads you to the same back room you've always met in. It seems that some of the others have already arrived.

The-Mage-King
2012-11-07, 06:13 PM
Taking his usual seat, Kale nods to the new barmaid, before speaking up.

"A Sharn Brewery ale, please." He says with a charming smile, leaning back torest his arms against the back of the booth and relaxing, his quiver and bag to his side.

JKTrickster
2012-11-07, 07:22 PM
Derek smiled when Lendril finally appeared within sight. He was walking slowly, not using a construct for transportation for once. He had already used most of his reserves to get here on time, and he didn't see any need to waste anymore of his strength. After all, he didn't want others to think that he was overly dependent on them for everything; he still had legs and all and he had no problem using them. Besides, he had made some interesting things with ectoplasm and he couldn't wait to show the others what he had experimented with.

As he walked through the city, he smiled at the familiar sights and smells. At the same time, his craftsman eye judged all the structures and buildings, wondering how solidly built they were. Luckily there wasn't anything that was critically bad, but Derek couldn't help himself. He was a craftsman before he had found out about his powers and that was how he defined himself.

Finally walking through the Battered Flagon, he smiled when he saw Kale. "I can't believe you got here before me!" he said with a laugh. "I'm so used to being here first! How have you been, Kale?"

Ordering tea for himself, he sat next to Kale and leaned a little to whisper to him. "So who's the new barmaid? I think she's been looking at you ever since I walked in," he said with a wink.

J-H
2012-11-07, 07:23 PM
As the afternoon light starts to dim slightly, Barnabas steps through the door into the tavern. He steps to the side and pauses for a few seconds to let his eyes adjust to the relatively dim light of the lanterns and fire in the common room.

About the time his eyes have adjusted, the barkeep looks up and recognizes him, and gestures to someone off to the side. As Barnabas starts walking towards the bar, an unfamiliar (young and... rather attractive) woman dressed as one of the barmaids walks up to him. "Sir, you're with the group that uses the second back room?"

"Yes, I am.... and you are?" Barnabas smiles at her.

"Abigail, sir. You can follow me to the...oh, you know where you're going," Abigail blushed. "Would you like me to bring you something to drink?"

"It's early... I'll take a light beer, and I'm sure we'll want some pot-roast later. There will be 5 or 6 of us tonight I think."

"Very well suh." As Abigail turned back to the bar, Barnabas spoke once more "Abigail, you'll bring my drink yourself, right?" Winking once and smiling at her, he walked on back to the meeting room.

The-Mage-King
2012-11-08, 03:31 PM
"Not a clue, Derek." Kale returns, nodding at Barnabas as he steps in.

"But how fares your work? I've been getting several orders for blades that have been keeping me busy and well funded."

JKTrickster
2012-11-08, 04:27 PM
"I'm doing fine! I've been using this power more and more in my work," he said as he flexed his hands. "It's really giving me limitless possibilities. You know that ectoplasm stuff I showed you last time? Yeah, it's really useful for sculptures! I've been able to form it into more and more complex shapes!" Derek started talking about all the amazing designs and ways he could shape the ectoplasm, unlike stone or metal which was much, much stiffer.

He finally paused when Barnabas stepped. Smiling, he clasped his friend on the back. "It's always so nice to see you, Barnabas" Derek smiled. "And is there any barmaid that is safe from your charms? I really think you should leave some for the rest of us sometime!" he laughed.

supernerd
2012-11-08, 10:36 PM
Shafire came in to see Barnabasfinish flirting with a new barmaid. With a sigh he slipped into the back room as the door closed, smiling disarmingly to the young lass who was his friends new victim. When the door closed, he fired a blunted and unaugmented mind arrow at the back of Barnabas' head, because he could not reach it to smack. "Come now," he said in an almost joking tone, "show the girl some courtesy. Her first day was probably a week and a half ago. And besides, you can flirt all you want when you come back here on your own time. But if I could have a glass of wine, please?"

He jumped up and sat on the edge of the table so that he could comfortably view his friends and piers. This was always the best time of the month, "However, he can keep my share of the barmaids. Though that gnome regular has been eyeing me over for some time. If he wasn't drunk I'd smack him for thinking about cheating on his wife."

The Halfling wore what he'd heard called a kilt and what amounted to a shawl, and this way he wasn't contrained by his garments. He idly swung his legs like offset pendulums as he listened to Derek speak of his sculptures, "Simply marvelous! I've picked up a few tricks myself."

JKTrickster
2012-11-09, 03:49 AM
Derek laughed as Shafire threw a mind arrow at Barnabas' head. Sitting down, he finally felt at home among all his friends. While others respected him as a craftsman outside, only these people loved him for his true gifts. Sure, they developed their gifts for adventure and battle, but Derek loved them all the same. And once in a while he would go too, as long as it wasn't too dangerous or reckless.

"Come on let's sit down already! Anyway, Kale and I were the first ones here! That means you two are paying for our drinks tonight!" he said with a laugh. "I can't wait to catch up with you guys though! How have you been? Anything new? I'm pretty okay myself and I've been working with ectoplasm since forever! I like it and all, but its always nice to take a break and just hang out!"

J-H
2012-11-09, 07:57 AM
Barnabas shook his head while grinning. "Hey, she smiled back."

After sitting down at the table, he continued "I'm glad the ectoplasmic constructs have been working out well for you. I've been working on growing both power sets, and just gained a little bit of mastery over time itself." He grins. "Sometimes, of course, and just for a little while on a particular target."

blade artist
2012-11-09, 11:19 AM
After an evening of strolling through the city, a rather tall stranger wanders into the bar. A tower of clothing moving around and, often bumping into things, eventually makes its way to the back room. Seeing that he might have forgotten something he finally lowers the cloth from his collar to reveal his face. "Oh, hi. It's just me, 'ol Bart."

JKTrickster
2012-11-10, 01:12 AM
"Hey!" Derek smiled warmly as Bart finally arrived. "You're late as always! C'mon sit down and order a drink! Although you guys better pay us two for being the early ones again!"

The-Mage-King
2012-11-10, 01:38 AM
"Derek, I don't see why you consistently try and wheedle money out of our friends for us being early. It's not their fault we're timely." Kale returns, sighing as he stands up.


"Anyway, good to see all of you again." He continues, reaching back and rubbing his neck. "Now, anything important to share, or are we just relaxing?"

blade artist
2012-11-10, 11:37 PM
Bart slowly starts a mischievious grin, the twinkle in his eyes noticeably brighter than ussual. "It's alright, Kale," turning to the new barmaid, "Excuse me miss, I'm a little known around here. Would you be so kind as to tell the bartender to get me some of my special stock? Just tell him Bartimaeus sent you.

JKTrickster
2012-11-11, 12:38 AM
"Oh dear," Derek laughed when he noticed the look in Bart's eye. "I know that look. I don't think I'm quite ready for that special stock just yet!" he laughed. Sitting, he finally calmed down and just smiled at everyone around him. "So what's up with you guys anyway? Been busy doing anything? I've received another commission for a sculpture. Another rich man with too much money and too much pride."

J-H
2012-11-12, 08:03 AM
Barnabas

"Nothing new for me other than working on my powers. It's only been, what, 2 months since we last met up?"

blade artist
2012-11-12, 11:20 PM
After the waitress comes back with a strange drink that some men turn away from with what looks to be a countenance of fear, Bart replies while starting to sip his drink, "I was at a market fair for the Argonth not too long ago, up near the Sword Keep, although it looked like some of the soldiers were a bit stressed about something. The fair was nice, though."

Illithilich
2012-11-12, 11:58 PM
Coming back into the room with the rest of the drinks, the barmaid stumbles on the hem of her dress. The drinks go spilling on the floor and over Barnabas. She frantically cleans the broken glass and wipe up the spilled drink, between stammered apologies towards you all. "Sorry, sorry, sorry, im so sorry, sorry, please forgive me, sorry, sorry, sorry, im sorry, sorry."

JKTrickster
2012-11-13, 12:47 AM
Derek couldn't help but burst out in laughter when the barmaid spilled everything over Bart. Even though he felt sorry for his friend, he just couldn't stop. "It's fine it's fine," he said as he wiped a tear. "I'm sure our mister gentlemen over here would never be mad at a lady!" he said almost tongue in cheek.

"Although the mess is rather...sticky," Derek said with a huge smirk on his face. "Here why don't you use this to clean yourself up?" After concentrating for a moment, a huge towel materialized in his hands. It was nice, long, and soft and it was his favorite color - a bright shade of blue. Throwing it to Bart, he quickly stepped back to dodge his inevitable blows.


Derek uses Call Item (1PP) to make a huge towel for Bart :smallbiggrin:

J-H
2012-11-13, 07:42 AM
"Prestidigitation. Bring me a replacement drink and I'm fine."

supernerd
2012-11-13, 09:16 AM
Shafire snickered at Barnabas' reply and conceded with a sigh. He listened to his friends, preferring to wait his turn as his friends added new tricks, while he added skill and power. It wasn't quite the same, and he liked the stories of discovery. He thoroughly enjoyed his position though.

He smiled when the barmaid came in, unable to stifle a giggle as she made a mess of his charming friend, but hopped down to help her pick up the glass, "you're fine, love. Don't fret about it. Though he usually doesn't need to clean up this early in the night, you must be really special." he flashed a smile at her, hoping to convey his joking tone and prevent things from getting too awkward.

"Well I've picked up a couple of nice toys and heave a few more tricks up my sleeve," the Halfling said as he took the conversation off the poor girl.

blade artist
2012-11-14, 10:04 AM
"With all the soldiers around lately, I think I've been learning more about swords than anything else," Bart mentions with smile on his face still from the spill. "The roads seem more battered these days. It's less of people going here then there, and more people going every where. It's even like that on the backroads. A lot of confusion these days after the war."

J-H
2012-11-14, 10:14 PM
"War, war, war... you know what they say, war never changes. Since it never changes, it's boring unless you're stuck in the middle of it. At that point, going by the skirmishes I've been in, it's either sheer terror, wrath, or exhilaration, depending on how it's going and whether you're winning." Barnabas leans back in his chair and sips his drink, swirling the mug and staring into it for a little while.

"You guys ready to eat?"

Illithilich
2012-11-16, 06:41 PM
Your conversation drifts back and forth, from topic to topic as the first night of your meet drags on. By the time you have finished your dinner the sun has been down for hours. You each retire to your own room, to resume the meet in the morning. One by one you each fall asleep.

The-Mage-King:
You find yourself in an unfamiliar building, the stone walls pressing in on you in the tight hallway. You walk in the dark, the occasional torch lighting your path. The walls seem to get closer and closer, as the ceiling seems to get lower and lower. Crouching, the walls grating against your sides, you reach the end. A small, wood door. It pushes open easily, and you crawl through it. From the floor you see the room you've entered, square, small and stone. It is lit by a sole torch, and by the beams of moonlight streaming in from a single, barred window in the ceiling. On a chair in the middle of the room, a woman sits, her back to your. In the light you recognize her as Abigail, the barmaid, her long aurburn her spilling down the back of her dress. You call her by name. The word seems to echo in the silence, "abigail.......Abigail........Abigail........Abigai l", each time louder and louder as the torch grows dimmer with each word. Then, without warning, the echo stops, and the torch goes out. In the moonlight, Abigail slowly turns. You catch a glimsp of face, a blur of silver. You wake with a start, heart racing and one word sits in your mind. Abigail..... Abigail.......Abigail.

JKTrickster:
The crystals covering the walls glow with a riot of colors. Red, blue, green, orange, every color imaginable, and a few not. The spiky growths are everywhere, encrusting the walls, floor and ceiling of the tunnels. In every facet of every crystal, your face is reflected, strained and red from your long crawl. On and on you go, your face following. You enter what seems to be a room, a perfect sphere underneath the jagged edges of the crystal. The tunnel seems to end here, no other way out showing itself. You turn to leave, to go back through the tunnel. But there is no tunnel. Every way you turn, only the crystal is there. And in every facet and every face of every crystal, your face stands out. Laughing, crying, shouting, clean, bloodied, tanned, every emotion and every being is shown. They only share one trait. Every last one is looking at you. Once again you turn, and this time a huge crystal, the size of your body is in the way. The crystal gives you a look at your reflection. You scream. Your scream follows you as you wake, heart racing.

J-H:
Your hands are bound. The stone of the altar is freezing against your bare back. All around you, the men who brought you here stand, their dark cloaks concealing their faces. They chant in unison, seemingly unaware of their surroundings. Next to you, the leader stands, his silvery beard protruding from the confines of his hood. A soft purple glow is coming from somewhere just behind your head, but try as you may you cannot turn your head to see it. But you can turn to see what is in the hand of the leader. The knife glints silver in the light. You wake with a start. A throbing pain spreads from your chest to stomach, and across your throat.

Supernerd:
The water seems to strech forever. You are standing in it, for it's the only ground in sight, in eternity, in forever. The water reaches your knees, and is black as night. The water is warm, not the warmth of a summer day, but the warmth of a desert, the warmth of a swamp. Warmth that drags you down, presses on you, warmth that covers everything as it tries to crush your body in it's embrace. The purplish sky is cloudless and sunless, but still provides light. The only thing breaking horizon are the shadows. All throughout the water, shadows strech upward, thin and warped. Their limbs twist and stretch towards the sky and through each other. The shadows look like trees, or are they trees pretending to be shadows? They strech on forever, like the dark, warm water. And from that dark water you hear a splash, a shadow growing in the corner of your eye. You wake with a start, the sheets glued to you with sweat. The sweat clings to your body, warm like the dark water.

BladeArtist:
The sewer water fills your nose and mouth. You spit explosivly, trying to ignore the foul taste. Its easy, since the stench of the sewer is even worse. You hang from the stone outcrop in the wall of the sewer shaft. From above, water spills from the sewer tunnel you came from. Below you the shaft streches downwards, and somewhere in the dark the falling water gathers in a pool. The thunder of water is enormous, covering up most of the other sounds of the sewer. Most of them. Below, you can hear the shrieks of rats, but worse, from the tunnel above you can still hear that squelching noise, still coming foward. The slimes than ran you down this tunnel, and forced you to try and hide in the chute are still coming after you. The squelching gets louder, and louder, as it gets closer, and closer. Through the filthy water pouring into your face, you can see the grey psuedopod extending over the lip of the tunnel. You wake with a start, still spitting, feeling like your about to vomit.

Everyone (Read After your own Spoiler):
By the light coming from your window, the time seems to be just a few hours before dawn, the darkness stained by stray light. Going back to sleep seems pointless and unattractive option after your dreams. You can hear people talking in the bar the floor below.

J-H
2012-11-16, 10:09 PM
Helpless
Not again
Not me
Die!
Barnabas snaps awake, opens his eyes, and then immediately winces and closes them at the headache caused by trying to use Mind Thrust in his nightmare.

"That was very odd. Not normal. At least there wasn't someone there with cheese." Barnabas slowly sits up in bed, and then looks around the room, checking for traces or trails of any intruding magic.


Using cantrip Detect Magic to try to figure out if the dream was placed in his head by anything detectable.

blade artist
2012-11-16, 10:33 PM
Throughout the inn, a great trampling noise of what would be initially thought of as a stampede can be heard. To anyone who actually saw this strange spectacle, they would see a large man in a striped baby blue and soft yellow night gown with a collar, having a floppy hat to match, and holding a small teddybear whilst running for the water closet. Shortly afterward, there are sounds that it would seem no natural being should produce and no person would want to experience the action that would lead to those sounds.

supernerd
2012-11-17, 09:14 AM
Shafire woke with a startled gasp, able to breathe freely once more. "It was only a dream. Thank goodness." after calming himself, he tried to think back and analyze his nightmare. He found it rather difficult, as his sleep had been much more taxing than refreshing. He felt his chest heavy as he shook his head and peeled off the sheets. It was then he realized the sweat on his sheets was warm.

"Oh, by the gods, what happened?" he said aloud, aware of the physical manifestation of his nightmare, the fear creeping back into him before he came back to reason. He needed to find out what was happening. He had two options, dispel the nightmare, as with the obviously supernatural origin of the dream, or learn to control them. Normally he wouldn't fear nightmares when they happened, but this one broke the barrier.

He got dressed and meditated to clear his mond and regain focus. He got out of his room to go downstairs and see if the others wete awake. If at all possible, he would not sleep alone tonight.

The-Mage-King
2012-11-19, 03:11 AM
Sitting up with an undignified... Sound of unidentifiable nature, Kale rubs his temples.

"Well, that was certainly bizzare." He mutters, standing to get ready to head down. "Not as bad as some times, but far weirder."


As he finishes adjusting the collar of his coat and starts to head out the door, Kale pauses, remembering something.

"Wait... Maybe..." He says, eyes beginning to glow with power.

Use Detect Psionics PLA to scan the room.

JKTrickster
2012-11-22, 01:21 AM
Derek bolted upright, his voice still ringing in his ears as his hands reached out for help. The warm sun barely trickles through the blinds, giving the room a shady and twilight appearance. Huddling closer to his pillow, he took a few moments to breathe deeply.

What was that, he thought as he looked around the room. His heart was still racing as he gingerly tiptoed to the bathroom to wash his face. Maybe he would calm down afterwards.

As he sat back down on his bed, he heard a rustling sound behind him. Suddenly his psicrystal, Zed, jumped out at him. Already scared beyond belief, Derek screamed for the second time in under 5 minutes.

"DON'T DO THAT!" he yelled, trying to not soil himself. His psicrystal just bobbed confusedly, unsure what to do.

"Are....you okay?" it asked worriedly, not sure if it should feel so hurt. "I...thought you need comfort..."

Feeling bad already, Derek sat back down and sighed. "Sorry, just had a bad dream," he said as he rubbed his temples. "Didn't mean to. Let's go down and see what's happening."

Changing into a white shirt and brown pants, Derek walked down to the bar below. I wonder if anyone else is up this late at night?

supernerd
2012-11-23, 10:59 PM
Shafire was sitting on a counter, looking around as he heard a pair of footsteps behind him. He charged up his Psionic energies, cautious due to his unnerving dream. "Oh, Derek! Thank goodness its only you. I'm afraid I've been the subject of a nightmare. And a supernatural one at that. It changed the outside world."

He trusted his colleagues, his friends completely. It was reassuring to have them around. He sighed, "I hope one of you won't mind me sleeping with you, because I'm not sleeping alone."

JKTrickster
2012-11-24, 12:46 AM
Derek freaked out when he heard some sounds and saw some strange lights. Screaming his head off, he shielded his face with his hands. Looking up, he realized too late that it was only Shafire. Laughing it off, he clasped him on the back.

"Oh my god you almost killed me there," he laughed. "Ahh I think I will just take you up on that offer. I had this strangest dream....well nightmare..." Derek trailed off for a second, before snapping out of it. Shuddering, he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Let's just have a nice warm drink. Maybe that'll get rid of the feeling eh?" he smiled nervously.

supernerd
2012-11-24, 06:19 AM
Shafire tried to chuckle with his friend. It was an unnerving time to say the least, and cheer was needed. "Wonderful, and I'm sorry to have scared you, I seem to be just as on edge as you. Now let's see to that drink."

He tried to smile, though he couldn't make it completely genuine as he sat on the bar counter, the seats not being a good height to sit, nor to stand. He looked to the one barmaid up for the late nighters, "Excuse me, Miss, could I have a Halfling's order of Dwarven Ale?" hoping that he could clear his mind.

(assume he succeeds his saving throw in case we are going to fight something in the next two hours.)

JKTrickster
2012-11-24, 04:07 PM
Derek smiled, sitting down at the bar counter as well. Now was one of the few times that he would be eager to get drink a huge mug of ale or two, but he knew he was pretty much a lightweight so he only politely ordered something weaker.

Turning to Shafire, he tried to joke around to make the situation seem less tense. "Too bad we don't have that strong stuff Bart was talking about - I'm sure that strong stuff would have knocked us right out!" he said as he smiled.

Looking upstairs, he wondered how they were doing. "Hopefully they're sleeping well too. I wouldn't want anything to happen to them."

J-H
2012-11-25, 04:09 PM
Barnabas walks downstairs, initially planning to step outside. When he sees several of his friends, he changes course and heads over to them.

"Did any of you by chance have a strange dream? I did, and when I woke up I could tell that a telepath of some sort had been influencing it."

Illithilich
2012-11-26, 12:06 AM
Before the last word even leaves Barnabas's mouth, an inhuman shriek resounds from the streets outside. The tavern falls silent as the echos of that shriek fade away. That silence is broken, when with a CRASH the door swings open, smashed off it's hinges.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_50.jpg
Every mouth on the monsters body spouts gibberish, nonsense, and some even words. While most of the words mean nothing to you, some send a chill down your spine, touching deep parts of your mind unknown to your waking thoughts. More of the creatures crowd outside of the doorway, behind them you can see the glow of flames.

OOC: Turn order will be whatever order you guys post in for each round, with the monsters going after all of you.

The-Mage-King
2012-11-26, 01:14 AM
Having just stepped down the first step as Barnabus called out the word "telepath", Kale lets loose a curse, surrounding himself with a cushion of psychic power as he draws his bow from his quiver in a seemingly impossible manner.


"Well, looks like we have some company." He says to the room at large, starting to smirk as he heads down to the ground floor. "Those unable to fight, get to cover."


Manifest Vigor for... Oh, 6 pp.


Temp HP: 30
Real HP: 52

Total HP: 82


Draw bow, move to bottom of stairs.

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 03:42 AM
Derek freaked out when he saw what had broken through the door. Scared for his life, he realized that he had kept his mace upstairs. Cursing his bad luck, he rose his hands as he started to shape the ectoplasm together. Concentrating for a moment, he managed to form something in the air. It was still incomplete, and barely taking shape next to him.

As his psicrystal encircled him, he took a deep breath and cleared his mind. He had to stay calm - for his friends he could not afford to fail them now. Opening his eyes, he felt a surge of warmth spread throughout him. Okay, he thought. I can do this. I'm with my friends. We can do this!

Squinting, he tried his best to recognize what they were exactly fighting. "Quick! Kale! Barnabas! Get over here! Let my Constructs cover you!"


As a Full Round action, Derek concentrates to get a Psionic Focus.

Concentration Check
[roll0]


He then stands there and will enact the above NEXT round :smallsigh:

JKTrickster
2012-11-26, 04:08 AM
On the bright side here's something my character can do this round:

Knowledge (Psionics)
[roll0]

To identify the creature(s)!

EDIT:

Illithilich if you don't mind would you allow me to change my actions? Instead of using my full round action to Focus, would you allow me to make a Astral Construct instead? That would simply be much easier and faster. Can't believe I didn't think of that! :smallsigh:

supernerd
2012-11-26, 04:20 AM
Shafire sighed, as the door broke open, and upon seeing the beast, could only say, "Simply Marvelous," before he was jumping into action. "Everyone who can't fight a Minotaur one on one get down!"

So I'm not going to full attack from the counter, but I'm going to consider dropping down my swift action so I can charge a psychic strike before firing.

To Hit:
[roll0]

Lucky if needed:
[roll1]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll2]
Psychic Strike:
[roll3]

Split Arrow Damage:
Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll4]
Psychic Strike:
[roll5]

supernerd
2012-11-26, 04:27 AM
Alright! What a spectacular start off for this campaign even if I just drained my high rolls for some time. Critical Threat! Roll to Confirm Critical Hit!
[roll0]
Fingers crossed that 24 confirms.
Damage: physical:cold:electricity

Arrow 1
42:3:1
Psychic strike: 15(45)

Arrow 2
45:5:5
Psychic strike: 6(18)

Parentheses because I forget if I asked about criticals on Psychic Strike.

J-H
2012-11-26, 08:18 AM
Stunned, and a bit nauseated at the twisted creature's appearance, Barnabas freezes for a second before bolting for the stairs. Once he reaches the bottom of the stairs, he turns to face the door and raises his hands about 1' apart, with a glittering ball spinning between them.


Moving to stairs, then readying Glitterdust to cast once more monsters start coming through the door.

Glitterdust is a 10' radius spell, so I can cover 16 squares. I can either hit them as a few of them move through the door (if they are considered as all moving at once), or once several are through (if they are considered as moving one at a time).

blade artist
2012-11-27, 01:42 AM
Finally getting dressed back up in normal clothing since the "incident", Bart hears some crashing, yelling and whelping from the common room. He quickly brings grabs his shield and rushes downstairs and his armor worn with his clothing as normal.

"Hey, what's all this here?!" Bart yells as he reaches the bottom and looks at what has unfolded.

edit: finally fixed that color

JKTrickster
2012-11-27, 03:30 AM
Details about the Astral Construct

Manifester Level: 9th (due to Infused Construction)
PP Spent: 9
PP Pool: 61/70

Astral Construct: 5th Level Large Astral Construct with 3 Menu B abilities



5th-Level Astral Construct
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 7d10+30 (68 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+1 Dex, +13 natural, -1 size), touch 10, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+18
Attack: Slam +13 melee (1d8+9)
Full Attack: 3 slams +11 melee (1d8+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Improved Grab, Extra Arms, Power Storing: Amethyst Burst, and Reach, damage reduction 5/magic, Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 13, Con , Int , Wis 11, Cha 10


Menu Abilities Chosen
Improved Grab (Menu B)
Extra Arms (Menu A)
Power Storing (Menu A) (Chosen Amethyst Burst)
Reach (Menu B)

Illithilich
2012-11-27, 10:56 PM
The first of the monsters falls as the arrows pierce its body, but behind it more stream in though the shattered doorway. Suddenley, they are framed in a strong glow from the glitterdust created by Barnabas. The many yellow, bulbous eyes dotting the monsters bodies blink and close in pain. The creatures are blind! They let loose confused shrieks as they stumble (as much as something can stumble with tentacles) across the floor. Without warning, the people in the room begin to drop or stagger backwards. Barnabas and Kale feel what is affecting them, the familiar feeling of a mind thrust rushing through their brains.

Read if you made a Knowledge check:
You reconginze the attacking creatures as Fihyrs. A Fihyr is an abberation formed by fragments of peoples nightmares combining with stray magic to create a monster that prey on emotions. They have minor powers and the many jaws on their bodies have a nasty bite. They are vunerable to sunlight, and if exposed full on to its light they are destroyed, but they hold no fear of the sunlight. Because of this few Fihyrs survive the day of their creation. But normally Fihyrs are created during a time of great stress such as a siege or famine, when nightmares and negative emotions run wild. So why have this many formed in a seemingly normal town?

OOC:
Will Save against Glitterdust Blindness: [roll0]
Mind Thrust on Mage_King [roll1] DC 12 Negates.
Mind Thrust on J-H [roll2] DC 12 Negates.

J-H
2012-11-28, 08:10 AM
Barnabas easily shrugs off the feeble mental attack and launches one of his own. Thrusting one hand out in a punching motion, a shockwave of cold crosses the room and crashes into one of the Fihyrs.

Targeting the closest Fihyr that also has another Fihyr in line behind it.
Energy Push (base 3pp) augmented twice to 7pp, with the Cold damage type.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyPush.htm
Damage[roll0] Fort save DC 20 (with augments) for half damage.

Knockback if the Fihyr fails a strength check with a DC of the damage done. 5', plus 5' for every 5 points of damage done. *edit* DC 19 to avoid knockback, total 20' of knockback*end edit*
Impact damage [roll1] if the Fihyr slams into a wall or another object
(another Fihyr) on the way back.

supernerd
2012-11-28, 07:26 PM
Shafire was stunned at the amount of fihyrs in one place, especially one like this. Not only that, but it seemed as though they were stronger than normal ones. He watched as Barnabas started to help take care of them and figured he should add to the kill count of the nightmare beasts.

My last attack had a psychic strike, so I will expend 1pp to recharge it once and full attack, this is against an uninjured one, then the next is to the one J-H hit, then the rest go in order of those who are injured but are yet to be killed. Each spoiler is a different set of arrows that must be at the same target.

To Hit:
[roll0]

Lucky if needed:
[roll1]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll2]
Psychic Strike:
[roll3]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll4]

Lucky if needed:
[roll5]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll6]
Psychic Strike
[roll7]

To Hit:
[roll8]

Lucky if needed:
[roll9]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll10]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll11]

Lucky if needed:
[roll12]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll13]

To Hit:
[roll14]

Lucky if needed:
[roll15]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll16]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll17]

Lucky if needed:
[roll18]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll19]

To Hit:
[roll20]

Lucky if needed:
[roll21]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll22]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll23]

Lucky if needed:
[roll24]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll25]

To Hit:
[roll26]

Lucky if needed:
[roll27]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll28]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll29]

Lucky if needed:
[roll30]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll31]

JKTrickster
2012-11-29, 02:26 AM
Derek's eyes widened when he realized what these nightmarish creatures were. "These are Fihyrs! Manifestations of our nightmares! But why are there so many? The whole town would have had to been dreaming nightmares to make this many," he said as he looked around. He knew there was something else behind this - that all of their nightmares were not just a coincidence.

Just then, a loud thump broke Derek's line of thought. Behind him towered a huge, white beast. It's skin was smooth and pale, towering high above him. His construct resembled a white knight with four hands, each with large and bulging muscles. "Go get 'em!" he said with a smile as he turned to focus.

Concentrating, he took several deep breaths as he repeated a mantra over and over again in his head. It was crucial that he remained focus throughout - he couldn't let their griping fear to affect him.



I command the Astral Construct to attack the nearest Fihyr. It moves and attacks as a Standard Action.

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

If the attack succeeds, it can automatically start a grapple check

Grapple
[roll2] (a +4 bonus from being a size larger, unless I'm wrong to assume that?)


Also a Concentration check as a Full Round action.

[roll3]

blade artist
2012-11-29, 11:59 AM
After seeing the first creature go down and the others outside, Bart moves foward with Dereks machination of destruction, slightly trailing behind. Bart moves off to another monster while the construct grapples


attacking some other fyhir if their in the building yet. drawing reidran crysteel large longsword while moving.

attack [roll0]
crit confirm[roll1]
damage [roll2]

Illithilich
2012-11-29, 08:35 PM
The Fihyrs drop easily under the psychic and physical onslaught. Five of their corpses lie on the tavern floor. The glow of fire still enters through the broken door.

supernerd
2012-11-29, 11:05 PM
Shafire looked through the open door over the quickly rotting nightmare corpses. The madness was only beginning as he thought, "Lovely." he ran out of the tavern and into the firelit town, taking view of his surroundings as he haves the situation. He was known for two things, tearing things to shreds, and resourcefulness. "It looks like our next quest found us!"

The-Mage-King
2012-11-30, 02:41 AM
"...That was fast." Kale mutters, restowng his bow.


"Think there are more out there for us to kill?" He asks, nodding towards the door.

J-H
2012-11-30, 07:54 AM
"There's something, unless the city has a brand new tradition of bonfires." Barnabas follows the halfling outside and looks around.

blade artist
2012-11-30, 12:14 PM
"You'd think that the armies would take notice of something like this. It is so disastrous, yet looks so beautiful..." Bart says as he calmly walks out, stopping with the rest to focus his conciousness with power.

concentrate for psionic focus
[roll0]

(after roll) However, his body says contrary to his his previous disposition, his eyes darting about and his body rigid.

Illithilich
2012-12-01, 11:10 PM
Outside, you see that the fires arn't quite as bad as you thought, with only scattered buildings even alight at all. But the building across from the tavern is defninitly going to need more than a few buckets of water to put out. There arn't any Fihyrs in immediet sight, but the shrieks coming from down the street tell you that they arn't gone.

JKTrickster
2012-12-02, 12:27 AM
Beckoning his bodyguard to follow, he raced out onto the streets. Since he was calm and focused now, he could clearly figure out a plan of action.

"There's more down there....these monsters aren't being controlled but obviously something brought this about. Only under strong magical interference do nightmares form into Fihyrs.....do you guys know of any reason why this town might be special?"

Telling his golem to lead the way, he carefully walked behind it to make sure he was not threatened in anyway. Mentally, he ordered it to rush and attack the moment it saw any Fihyrs within sight.

supernerd
2012-12-02, 06:45 AM
As Shafire saw the one building more ablaze than the town might handle, he thought it best to delay for a moment to put them out, nodding to his companions as they began to run towards the shrieks. "I'm going to put this out some and follow you in just a second!"

I full attack the house with arrows at the best places to spread out and pUt out the fire. I'm gonna use +1 Frost from soulbow, and Merciful from soulknife(letting only the cold damage effect the building). May I synergize a +2 ability that turns frost into an area attack(net +3)? I also turn off the lightning of my augment crystal.

J-H
2012-12-02, 11:40 AM
Barnabas heads towards the noises, allowing someone who can fight in melee to take the lead.

blade artist
2012-12-02, 11:30 PM
Bart goes with the group going down the street. "Make sure to catch up with us later, Shaf!"

The-Mage-King
2012-12-03, 05:22 PM
Nodding to the halfling being left behind, Kale moves onwards, infusing his coat with defensive power as the group continues.

Manifest Inertial Armor for 7 pp.

Illithilich
2012-12-03, 11:04 PM
Turning the corner at the end of the street, you find the source of the shreiks. Fihyrs dot the street ahead of you, bashing on doors and windows. Further down the street you can see more in the market square. But right now your attention is attracted by a single Fihyr. This Fihyr's body is wreathed in flames and it seems larger than the rest. Even as you look it throws a blast of fire at the side of a building, igniting it.

Meanwhile, back near the inn, Shafire attempts to put out the blazing building. Though it takes time, he manages to bring the fire under control.

OOC: Trying to put out the building is fine, but it will delay you for two rounds.

JKTrickster
2012-12-04, 03:56 AM
Upon seeing the Fihyrs, Derek's face paled. Without a doubt he knew the large one was more dangerous; things had a tendency to be simple like that. But that fire...that was unnatural. As far as he knew, that wasn't even possible. "W-what is that?" he said as he gulped.

Looking at the fires spreading, he thought up a plan. Focusing, he pulled forth a large mass of ectoplasm once again. It hung in the air, slowly massing and forming in front of him.

Even though his attention was elsewhere, his Astral Construct was already following his latest commands. With a roar, the large white knight rushed towards the nearest Fihyr with all four arms raised.




Attack

[roll0]

Damage

[roll1]

Grapple

[roll2]

supernerd
2012-12-04, 06:02 AM
Shafire looks around, seeing all the chaos and wanting to help as he slowly sidestepped as best he could while trying to keep the fire from going back to where it started once he left. He saw the larger Fihyr, and his eyes widened, unfortunately, he would have to leave the building to those still sane enough to respond, having fought back a good portion. Nothing an advanced Mending couldn't fix. There were more pressing matters to attend to, and he'd be able to finish in a minute or two.

OOC: I think I'll skip it, I need the 12 seconds to fight the monster, and unless there is a spontaneous combustion that explodes the building, it should be good with one volley of arrows for now. I'll delay this round before going to help the others.

J-H
2012-12-04, 07:56 AM
"How do I shut the big one down... hmm, too far away for Time Hop. Ah."

Barnabas raises his hand in the direction of the direction of the large Fihyr. A line of inky darkness connects his hand to the creature for a moment, before it collects and settles over the creature's eyes.


Casting Blindness/Deafness for Blindness, Fort save DC 18 to negate.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blindnessDeafness.htm

blade artist
2012-12-07, 12:08 AM
Bart charges headlong into the giant beast, a fyhir as he'd heard it. He paid no heed to the fire as he was more resistant to it than the others.

charge at the big fyhir
[roll0]
crit confirm [roll1]
damage [roll2]

The-Mage-King
2012-12-07, 03:32 AM
Looking over the battlefield, Kale nocks an arrow as he take aims at the flaming fihyr.


"If one of your would mind loaning me a power for a second..." He says between shots, glancing over to his allies.


Full attack burning Fihyr.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]


Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]


Using two normal arrows.

Illithilich
2012-12-10, 04:46 AM
The darkness settles on the Fihyr's many eyes for a moment, before fizzling away. The first thing it sees is Bart charging straight at it. His sword swings, hits... and skitters off the monster's hide, deflected by some invisible force. Two of Kale's arrows closley follow Bart's attack, the first skidding off the armor as well, the second barely missing. Your attacks foiled, the Fihyr leans towards Bart and lets out a gout of flame.

Meanwhile, Derek's construct manages to smash into a Fihyr, pinning it within its four arms. The Fihyr struggles to escape, lashing with it's tentacles. A second Fihyr close to the wrestling pair slithers over, unleashing a mind thrust onto the construct. As for the other Fihyrs in the street, they seem to be focused on battering on the buildings lining the streets.

Rolls (Copied from OOC):

Fihyr attacked by the Construct:
Grapple Check: (1d20+8)[20]
If Failed-Grapple to Break Hold (1d20+8)[13]
Otherwise- To Hit (1d20+8)[13], Damage (1d8+3)[9]

Fire Fihyr Save: (1d20+7)[23]

Burning Hands on Bart- (5d4)[13] DC 20 Reflex for Half.

Mind Thrust on Construct- (1d10)[9] DC 17 Will Negates.

J-H
2012-12-10, 07:53 AM
Barnabas jogs towards the large Fihyr, sending a swarm of sharp crystals at it.

Crystal Shard, augmented by 6.
Ranged touch attack [roll0] to hit
Crit confirmation if applicable [roll1]
Damage [roll2] piercing

supernerd
2012-12-10, 10:55 AM
Shafire just about sprints to the battlefield after abandoning the building for the sake of all the others in danger. "I'm here to help, guys!" he shouts as he finally gets withing range of the large Fihyr, launching arrows at it and the two nearest Fihyrs.

I expend 2 Power Points to give the arrows on the regular Fihyrs Psychic Strike
To Hit: Fihyr 1
[roll0]

Lucky if needed:
[roll1]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll2]

Psychic Strike:
[rollv]3d8[rollv]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll3]

Lucky if needed:
[roll4]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll5]

Psychic Strike:
[rollv]3d8[rollv]

To Hit: Fihyr2
[roll6]

Lucky if needed:
[roll7]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll8]

Psychic Strike:
[rollv]3d8[rollv]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll9]

Lucky if needed:
[roll10]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll11]

Psychic Strike:
[rollv]3d8[rollv]

To Hit: Big Fihyr
[roll12]

Lucky if needed:
[roll13]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll14]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll15]

Lucky if needed:
[roll16]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll17]

To Hit: Big Fihyr
[roll18]

Lucky if needed:
[roll19]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll20]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll21]

Lucky if needed:
[roll22]
Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll23]

To Hit: Big Fihyr
[roll24]

Lucky if needed:
[roll25]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll26]

Split Arrow:
To Hit:
[roll27]

Lucky if needed:
[roll28]

Damage-piercing, cold, electricity respectively:
[roll29]

The-Mage-King
2012-12-10, 12:34 PM
Groaning as he sees his arrows be deflected by the natural, Kale pauses for a half second while he thinks up a counter.


"Ah. That will do it." He mutters, forming a fragile blade between his hands and launching it at the large, flaming fihyr.

"Hit it with cold. If it's on fire with no effects, that should hurt it more than usual." He says,glancing back to the more power-slinging members of the group.


Refluffed Crystal Shard for 7 total, targeting the large fihyr.

Also, i c wat u did thar (eventually) :smalltongue:


Ranged touch attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

supernerd
2012-12-17, 10:38 AM
JKTrickster: pp: 59/70

Here we go! C-A takes 5ft step and C-B manifests, also taking a 5ft step so that they are Flanking and just within 15ft Reach. Now, double full attack.

To Hit: C-A1
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

To Hit: C-B1
[roll2]

Damage:
[roll3]

To Hit: C-A2
[roll4]

Damage:
[roll5]

To Hit: C-B2
[roll6]

Damage:
[roll7]

To Hit: C-A3
[roll8]

Damage:
[roll9]

Conditional Grapple => Successful Hit
[roll10]

To Hit: C-B3
[roll11]

Damage:
[roll12]

Conditional Grapple => Successful Hit
[roll13]

blade artist
2012-12-20, 12:56 AM
Bart takes a few steps back fuming and, in a small fit, starts stomping. Focusing his anger and psionic power into the stomping, the ground in front of him, including that of which the large fihyr is standing on. Then, he pulls a small furry ball from a rusty colored bag and drops it beside him.

free: five foot step back from the fihyr
standard: stomp psi-like ability DC 13 or fall prone and take [roll0] nonleathal damage

move?: pull a fur ball from the rust bag of tricks [roll1]
*Is removing the fur ball and letting it drop in one of the squares next to me considered a move action? (drawing for move action; throwing is a standard and would likely include the drawing the ball, but I'm just giving a light toss, fling or just plain dropping it) If it isn't I'm just going to cross out these parts