PDA

View Full Version : The Unwanted Alpha [IC]



Doc_Pippin
2012-11-10, 12:09 AM
Welcome Group Alpha

The Old Age
The Days of the Mage Lords: A tyrannical period in which the people of the world were ruled by decedent Lords of magic. In the last years their power their arrogance grew exponentially until they began to challenge the Gods and Dragon Lords from which they drew their might. Finally their tyranny was ended by the source: The Gods retreated to their own plains and The Dragon Lords laid waste to the great libraries where man had stored the knowledge the lords had given them, before fleeing to the other Planes, leaving a world with no magic.
-50,000 to -30,000

The Time Without Magic or Gods: The first years after the Schism the Mage Lords still held power but shortly after Warlords and self-proclaimed Kings began claiming and taking what they could, This four to five hundred year time period became known as the Ruin Wars. It was followed by many short lived reins and many rising and falling kingdoms.
-30,000 to -25,000

The Return of the Gods: Pelor was the first of the Gods to return to the world. Then more returned bringing with them a trickle of magic.
-25,000 to -25,500

Return of the Dragon lords: The First of the dragons began to return from their self-induced exile and began to again share their knowledge with man but not nearly so freely.
-20,000ish

The Time of Rebirth: This time is difficult to place as some say it began when Pelor returned other not until the Great City of Reddmyr was restored and the great calendar was started and the Sages proclaimed the start of the New Age. This age was led from Reddmyr which had been made the capital of a new and powerful nation named Lananter.

The New Age
0-6,224: The Years of Conquest: During the beginning of the age Lananter's kings led many wars and campaign into the wild places of the world uniting the warlords under one banner.

6,224-7,695: Lananter begins loosing land to the power as the Eternianna Emperium rises to power.

7,695 to 11,851 The two Great Nations end their war and begin a period of peace.

11,851- A great Lich named Unx who claimed to be a former Mage lord began amassing great power but not waging any wars or taking any hostile action. He claimed to have foreseen a great cataclysm tens of thousands of years ago and took on Lichdom before stowing himself away until he was needed. A great many heroes attempted to end him but he was far too powerful.

13,043- The First outbreak of the Spell Plague was seen in a farming community, call Goldenshire. The world blamed Lich Lord Unx naturally

13,121- The Spell Plague had become wide spread and nearly 20% of the worlds populace had been wiped out only to rise again and spread more death across the land.

The Age of Sorrow
13,134- The City of Reddmyr falls to the plague. The closed gates and large population made this a massacre. Over three million people died in a matter of days. It is estimated that ten thousand or less actually made it out of the city. The fall of the city brought with it the destruction of the Great calendar and the end of an Age. The Brief period of that followed was dubbed the Age of Sorrow.

Year Zero- A legendary group of adventurers known as the Guardians regathered and went on a hunt for the true cause. Among them were Galinta the Devote, Shaka the Wild, Kalacus the Mad, and Mala Ora the Everwise. They were accompanied by Lord Unx, this was of course more than shocking to those who knew of the Quest.

Year of the Exodus- Two years after the Party set out Kalacus returned alone and began gathering those that had survived the Plague and the undead and led them to a great Portal that led to another plane one free of the Plague. During the Caravan a being in a black robe lined in a mystical looking metal, appeared and began throwing a strange sort of magic at the caravan severing the magic links that held them to the path and throwing them into oblivion. Kalacus began battling the man but the crossfire hit a small group, which you all were a part of, it sent you sailing into oblivion.

Group Alpha:
{table=head]Player|Character|Gender|Alignment|Race|Class|Party Role
Sigma87 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=71010)|Balthasar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=464970)|M|CG|Draconic Aasimar|Warlock2/Cleric1/Draconic Aasimar2|Blaster Gish
Eisen_Hammer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=70807)|Gaher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=465496)|M|LG|Psionic Experiment|Paladin3//Soul Knife3|Melee
Marlowe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=24761)|Starex Elantra (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=466651)|F|CG|Human (1/x Fey)|Bard3/Warrior3|Jack-of-all-Trades
RCgothic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=60466)|Lilian Chase (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=466705)|F|NG|Half Fey Human|Factotum3//Warrior1/Half-Fey2|Jack-of-all-Trades
Toska Moriarty (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=58289)|Sentra Aberth|M|CN|Human|?|Stealth/Divine
[/table]

Marlowe
2012-11-10, 12:48 AM
Drat. Spinning helplessly through the darkness of oblivion. Again. I am going to have to start hanging out with a different sort of people.

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-13, 03:32 AM
As you drift in a seemingly infinite slumber a slow warmth permeates your body. Even as you dream you feel the warmth seeping into every pore of your body. It continues to grow and grow until you feel the warmth beginning to become painful. It stings the skin and makes you sweat. You begin to realize how thirsty the heat has made you. But not waters in the dreams will stop this thirst.

You are suddenly awakened by a cruel gust of wind and sand across your face. As you open your eyes the abnormally bright rays of the sun are blinding and painful. You feel as if you had slept for days and your muscles are sore and are suffering from slight atrophy. Before even moving you can tell that you are lying on hot sand, but this makes no sense as the last memory you had was of the great fight on the caravan in the plane between planes, but that seems so long ago now and the current stinging of your skin and brightness of the sun force themselves too the forefront of your mind.

The winds carry sand that cut the face, not deeply enough to draw blood but enough to irritate the sun scorched skin. As your senses begin to adjust you begin to hear the wind it sounds like a whip that never finds it's end to crack. Then as your ears become more adjusted you here the grunts and groans of people near by no doubt just now being rudely awakened in the same manner as you. Even as you try to adjust your eyes you are forced to shield them to open them without some pain. This sun seems alien in its brightness, in fact even on the hottest day in your memory it had never shown so bright.


Welcome to the Desert Group {1} Alpha! Muhahahaha

RCgothic
2012-11-13, 07:29 AM
Lilian

I wake with the full force of the sun in my face, and I reflexively flinch over onto my front, raising my wings as a makeshift and only marginally effective sunshade. The sand under where Iíve been lying is only warm rather than hot, and I grasp a handful, letting the grains flow through my fingers as I mentally replay what I can remember. Iíd been moving up the convoy to see what I could do to aid Kalacus. Robert had stayed behind to organise a triage station for the wounded. Then a blinding flash and here I am. My hand closes around the platinum pendant still reassuringly on its chain around my neck.

Robert!

With a start I push myself shakily to my knees and blink rapidly Ė attempting to adjust my eyes to the harsh conditions. Wwith a rising sense of panic I realise my husband isnít amongst those I find myself with. Theyíre beginning to come round, but Iím not interested in them right now. After a few experimental wing beats, I launch myself vertically up in the air, gaining height so as to scan for any other groups of survivors, never before feeling so lost and confused!

Spot (check out surroundings and look for signs of life): 10
(see OOC thread for roll)

sigma87
2012-11-13, 08:06 AM
Balthasaar comes awake slowly, the adrenaline rush of the battle departed leaving him worn and ragged.

By the blood of the gods, why is it so hot all the sudden?

With a start, he realizes his surrounding are quite different from those he remembered leaving. Flashes of the battle replay over and over in his head, his last memory of some sort of arcane energy enveloping himself and a group of others, tearing them lose from the demi-plane they had been traveling through.

"Scorching heat, arid wasteland, and this thrice-damned sand working its way under my armor... Is this one of the hells?"

Knowledge: The Planes check to see if we're in hell.
[roll0]

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-13, 09:20 AM
Gaher comes to a kneel squinting his eyes trying to take in his surroundings. He activates detect evil to ensure that none that he will be forced to travel with will need further watching. Satisfied that none of them are evil.


"The fact that there is a sun deems that we are not in one of the hells. But I do not know where we are. We need to figure out where we are and how to get out of this area."

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-13, 03:19 PM
As you look about you realize that the cosmos are far and beyond unlike any plane you know of as your gaze hits the sky you see a shattered moon to the east and not one but to suns rising from north to south only slightly off from one another. The only way to know there are two is that one is large and red while the other is smaller and bright gold casting an eerie glow as it appears to be bright flower with a golden center and short red petals. The shattered moon is unmoving in the sky. It appears to be poorly chopped in half making one side larger than the other with smaller sized portions floating between the two larger bodies. With the suns up it appears to have a dark orange glow about it.


General Int Check of 10

You though untrained in these fields recognize the strange nature of your environment as unnatural.


DC 5 Knowledge Planes

It is easy for those with any knowledge of the planes to tell this is not any of the known outer planes.


DC 10 Geography/Nature or Bardic 15

To those that study weather and astrology it is recognizable that this cosmic array is seemingly impossible and never before documented to exist.


DC 25 Local or History:

If you succeed this check I will Pm you with some information that you learn.


((Player with multiple knowledge skills may roll once for each DC, Bardic knowledge or Lore ability may be used against any or all DC's but only once each. If you have both the knowledge skill and Bardic knowledge or lore you do not roll twice instead add your int mod to the knowledge check again (effectively Int+int+Ranks+ misc)))

As for just looking around you see sand and heat shimmer caused by the burning sands that surround you. No trees or cities can be seen from where you are.

Spot DC 15

You barely see the dark outline to the south of what you can only guess to be people travelling away from you in a caravan. But it is near impossible to determine whether it is just a trick of the eyes or an actual group of people.

RCgothic
2012-11-13, 03:32 PM
Lilian


Int:[roll0]

Knowledge (The Planes): [roll1]

Knowledge (Geography): [roll2]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll3]

Edit: So I succeed on Planes and Nature/Geography, but not Int or Spot. Do I get anything extra for Nat20 in Planes? Would there be a spot bonus for being high d20(100-150ft)? Only way I can think of that I could turn around that roll.

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-13, 04:17 PM
For Gothic (and anyone else who cares to know OOC what Gothic knows

For the Nat twenty you are 110% sure that this is not an outer plane, inner plane or previously recorded material or demiplane the cosmology is simply to distinct for you to have not read it somewhere as for spot flying 40+ feet in the air will grant a +2 to spot for spots at great distance like this one. It is a scale where you receive better spot but are easier to spot yourself and take a negative to search equal to you spot for distance

sigma87
2012-11-13, 05:34 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Int Check: [roll1]

Marlowe
2012-11-13, 09:25 PM
Starex Elantra pulls herself onto her feet using her glaive as a crutch. "Well isn't this a charming place. It's like the after-the-end sequel to some apocalyptic angst-saga" She shakes the sand out of her mail and entertainers outfit. "That moon's too close..." she mutters. "Either this place is about to die or something very strange happened here a long time ago"

General INT Check: [roll0]
K/The Planes [roll1]
No Bardic Knowledge--she's a Knack Bard

She surveyed her companions. The gossamer-winged swordswoman she recognises-- Wait, wasn't she going with a man? I don't see him. She's not going to be happy., the man with the strange eyes and clawed hands gives her an odd feeling of recognition--Something about notebooks, and potato chips--no, no idea. The angry-looking fellow with the bald head she's already noted as somebody she discretely stays away from. She has no idea of the fift member of the group.

She surveys the desolate horizon, shading her eyes with her palm.

Spot:[roll2]

"I have a feeling, Ladies and Gentlemen, that Create Water just became a very important orison"

Marlowe
2012-11-13, 09:26 PM
((Ooops, forgot K/Nature [roll0]

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-13, 09:47 PM
"Creating water will be a very valuable ability in this desolate wasteland. I can provide my own sustenance but I can not have any of you being weakened by not being able to provide for yourselves. Well does anyone know where we are or where we can find some form of civilization?"

Gaher looks around for any signs of life.


Spot: [roll0]
Int Check: [roll1]

Marlowe
2012-11-13, 10:54 PM
Starex holds her left hand up to the wind, trying to discern if the breeze seems cool or warm. "Hot, dry winds will come from the interior. A coastal wind will be cooler. If there's nothing else around that looks promising, we should head toward cool winds and find a coastline. All rivers meet the sea. Eventually."

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-14, 01:17 AM
You raise your hand into the winds. They feels hot and and smell salty. The direction seems to shift often in a pattern with gusts coming from one direction then a short period of no wind followed by a just from another direction. The abnormal pattern of winds could be attributed to the abnormal cosmic array as winds are ruled by the ocean and the ocean is ruled by the moon and sun.


All characters may make a search check

DC 10

As you observe the surroundings you come accross a set of somewhat fresh tracks, perhaps only a few days old, leading away from the sunrise. It is approximately thirty yards from where you woke up, andis somewhat worn down by the winds but the apparant size of the group that left the trail helped keep it from disappearing altogether. You also find another person closer to the trail. He has not yet awoken but does show weak signs of life.


DC 15

You know that the group must have hade between 100 and 200 humaniods and some form of pack animal. Where you found the survivor you also find several skeletons with tattered clothing buried in the sand already picked clean by the wind and sand.


DC 20

You find the tracks to be very abnormal. The surface seems fairly average you also find the sand to be oddly loose far more so than it normally should be after so many people packed it down. You also notice a patteren in the small dunes around the tracks. It is like the ripples of a fish near the surface of a pond, only frozen mid motion the sand appears to have been parted by something from underneath. Or more accurately some things as for your best guess there were about a dozen of them.


If you choose to investigate further taking 5 mins and digging in the sands around you. You also find seven arrows shot into the sand on either side of the trail and several broken arrows in the trail, A roll of roughed up silk-like material (2' by 10') buried under the foot steps of the trail, a small sack of silver coins somewhat different than the ones you know (13 silver pieces). In your search you also find more skeletons of humaniods showing obvious signs of weapon induced trauma. Mostly arrows but also some amputated limbs and a few blunt force trauma deaths. You find around twenty such bodies and a large quadraped skeleton of unknown species buried around and in the trail. They have been picked clean of thier posessions assumedly by whomever attacked them.



The hot suns are beating down upon you. While the unfamiliar brightness is annoying the true problem is the thirst from your dreams has remained. You do not know how long you had been lying in the hot sun before you woke up and your mouth and throat are very dry.

RCgothic
2012-11-14, 03:31 AM
Lilian

As I cast my gaze around the featureless desert without success, the oddness of the place finally begins to penetrate my notice, replacing my initial panic with an icy chill of fear. With the realisation that we're completely alone on an undiscovered plane I force myself to concede that finding my missing husband has become more of a long-term goal.

I float back to the desert floor and begin to pay more attention to my immediate situation. My mouth is parched, so I take a swig from my waterskin of a couple ounces - careful to swallow all of it in spite of the gritty taste in my mouth; I didn't spot any sources of water, so rationing is going to be essential.

As I reach the ground, I begin to recognise the others, though Starex is the only one I know by name thanks to our shared heritage - I'd been travelling in a different part of the convoy than the others until I moved up during the battle. The fifth person I don't recognise at all, and I realise he's some distance away from the rest of us and right by some fresh tracks!

I can't believe I didn't notice those from the air!

The tracks are interesting, but there are more important things to do first. I nod a greeting to Starex as I run over to the man, and if he's unresponsive I begin checking him over, the way my husband taught me.

Heal(inspired)[roll0]

RCgothic
2012-11-14, 06:06 AM
Lilian
For your heal check he doesn't seem to have any visible symptoms other than a severe sunburn and major dehydration. As you search you remove his headgear to find long pitch black hair. He appears to be human but his pale skin and dark feature tells you there is something off about him.

As you do the physical examination you find a hidden pocket in his coat. It seems to have been sewn closed but when you handle the material you can feel the awkward weight. You also come across a fine looking dagger and a small coin back.

The man doesn't seem injured, just sunburnt and dehydrated, so I prop him up and force him to drink about four ounces from my waterskin before putting him in a recovery position. I leave his money bag where it is, but I take the dagger in case he wakes up hostile. I'll return it later if he isn't.

Leaving the man for now, I turn to my new companions. I attempt to rub my brow - usually a comforting gesture - but my skin is raw and my fringe is clinging damply to it as well. In fact my hair is beginning to become annoying in the heat, so I tie it back so that it can't stick to my face.

"He seems ok, except I think he's been here longer than us. I don't know if the water is enough, but I've done all I can for now.

Anyway. Hi! My name's Lilian - Lilian Chase. I think I was travelling in another part of the convoy from you all - I came to try and help against the attack. I was travelling with my husband, Robert..." my hand again flies reflexively to the pendant round my neck "...I think he's still there...

Starex I've met briefly, but I haven't had a chance to meet you two yet." I hold out a hand to shake to each in turn, managing a fix a thin smile over my inner turmoil. "Back in Lananter I was an entrepeneur - you can count on me for just about anything - unfortunately conjuring water out of thin air isn't one of them. If we get desperate I may know a few tricks for finding water in a desert, but I'd suggest we start by investigating those tracks."

Marlowe
2012-11-14, 07:14 AM
Search [roll0]

Hot and salty, and no clear direction. That's a lot of use. Scowling at herself for her weakness, she swigs a mouthful of water to stop her tongue clinging to the roof of her mouth, and wanders over toward the mysterious tracks, and the slumped figure Lilian is attending to.

"I've a feeling, a sinking sort of feeling, that this fellow is the reason for we being here. Should have stood next to someone else."

"Lilian" She drops her eyes a moment. "I'm very sorry."

RCgothic
2012-11-14, 12:07 PM
Lilian

A fresh wave of emotion threatens to overwhelm me - worry about the fate of my husband; warmth towards Starex for caring - I CANNOT be thinking about this right now!

With a force of will I bring my concentration back to our current situation. I give Starex a half-smile and a quick hand squeeze to show that I'm OK, though I can't manage a comment.

Thanks, but not now.

sigma87
2012-11-14, 04:41 PM
"Well met, I go by Balthsaar. I've some small skill in divine magic, so I can keep us supplied with fresh water as necessary. For now, I think it best we follow these tracks. They must be leading somewhere, as nothing survives long in the open like this. Let me see if our disabled friend responds to healing magic, otherwise I can carry him."
Balthasaar takes a quick swig of water before kneeling next to the prone figure, muttering a quick word of celestial, and channeling divine energy into the stranger.
spontaeous conversion: turn light into a cure minor wounds and channel 1 point of healing into the unconcious figure
PS: poasting by phone for a bit until my internet is hooked up, belease forgive belated responses.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-14, 07:13 PM
Gaher looks at this new comer using detect evil.

Gaher reaches into his Travelers cloak grabs his canteen and takes a small drink, returning it to allow it to refill. "I am Gaher." As Balthsaar goes to heal the traveler if I sense the traveler is evil I grab his hand, [roll0] If he is not I will simply allow him to be healed. "I am a champion of the people. The light that will never go out."

Marlowe
2012-11-14, 07:52 PM
Starex gives Lilian a long look as the latter walks away from her, but isn't dumb enough to say anything else.

Instead she goes down on one knee and has a look at the tracks. "Odd that these have been here as long as they have...", she mutters.

Survival:[roll0]

"Anybody any good at tracking? It's one thing that's never been my forte"

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-14, 08:54 PM
FOR DETECT EVIL: You see a tinge of aura appear but it is fleeting and seems to disappear into nothingness. It does not seems to reappear.

The healing stablizes him and heals the worst his external burns though he is still unconscious. ((Auto succeed as you can take twenty, if you choose too still grab him))

For most survival checks please follow this unless I ask for a special roll or you request a use of the skill NOS ((Not otherwise specified))


Survival DC Task
10 Get along in the wild. Move up to one-half your overland speed while hunting and foraging (no food or water supplies needed). You can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which your check result exceeds 10.
15 Gain a +2 bonus on all Fortitude saves against severe weather while moving up to one-half your overland speed, or gain a +4 bonus if you remain stationary. You may grant the same bonus to one other character for every 1 point by which your Survival check result exceeds 15.
15 Keep from getting lost or avoid natural hazards, such as quicksand.
15 Predict the weather up to 24 hours in advance. For every 5 points by which your Survival check result exceeds 15, you can predict the weather for one additional day in advance.
Varies Follow tracks (see the Track feat).
40 Get along in the wild while moving at full speed. The character can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which the check result exceeds 40.
60 Automatically succeed on all Fortitude saves against severe weather. The character can extend this benefit to one other character for every 2 points by which the check result exceeds 60.
60 Ignore overland movement penalties of terrain. The character and his or her mount can move at full overland speed regardless of terrain. The character can extend this benefit to one other character for every 5 points by which the check result exceeds 60.
60 Identify race/kind of creature(s)by tracks.1
Requires the Track feat.

Action
Varies. A single Survival check may represent activity over the course of hours or a full day. A Survival check made to find tracks is at least a full-round action, and it may take even longer.

Try Again
Varies. For getting along in the wild or for gaining the Fortitude save bonus noted in the table above, you make a Survival check once every 24 hours. The result of that check applies until the next check is made. To avoid getting lost or avoid natural hazards, you make a Survival check whenever the situation calls for one. Retries to avoid getting lost in a specific situation or to avoid a specific natural hazard are not allowed. For finding tracks, you can retry a failed check after 1 hour (outdoors) or 10 minutes(indoors) of searching.

Restriction
While anyone can use Survival to find tracks (regardless of the DC), or to follow tracks when the DC for the task is 10 or lower, only a ranger (or a character with the Track feat) can use Survival to follow tracks when the task has a higher DC.

Special
If you have 5 or more ranks in Survival, you can automatically determine where true north lies in relation to yourself.

RCgothic
2012-11-15, 06:55 AM
Lilian

With my emotions tightly under control and the introductions seemingly over, I go back to task in hand, hoping to distract myself with work.

"We're definitely not on any known plane. The two suns and broken moon is too distinctive for me not to have heard about this place if it were known to planar scholars in Lananter."

I stoop to study the tracks, and, probing with my foot, quickly turn up several skeletons in tattered clothing. The ground around here has clearly been disturbed, and I turn back to the group.

At least 100 humanoids passed this way recently. And over here, a quadruped. Its prints are quite deep, so possibly a pack animal... The whole area seems to have been quite heavily disturbed, as though the area has been dug up. And here - here it's almost as some things tore themselves out of the ground..."

I give the nearby skeletons a sudden look of deep suspiscion.

"I think perhaps we should dig around a bit, see what we can find..."

Marlowe
2012-11-15, 07:03 AM
Starex hears Lilian's words, sees her look, looks at the skeletons, and nods warily. "Let's do that, but first..." she draws her morningstar. "A little insurance"

She carefully and respectfully smashes every exposed skeles skull.

"I'm sorry. This was not meant for you. It's not you, it's me. Et cetera"

sigma87
2012-11-15, 07:55 AM
Balthasaar eyes Starex approvingly as she destroys the remains. "Normally I would chastise you to show more respect for the dead, but in this case I think caution trumps decorum."
That said, Balthasaar channels divine magic once more, surrounding himself with armor of pure force as he draws his greatsword. "Now let's make this search fast as possible, I'd like to find shelter before this sand works its way into EVERY sensitive area of my body."
Having said that, Balthsaar stands guard as the others search, keeping an eye out for any incoming threats by land or air.

Cast mage armor on self, use 7 turn attempts for Divine Persistent Spell. Three uses of Turn Undead remain. AC is now 23.

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-15, 08:33 AM
Just to put it here with the other related search for easy


If you choose to investigate further taking 5 mins and digging in the sands around you. You also find seven arrows shot into the sand on either side of the trail and several broken arrows in the trail, A roll of roughed up silk-like material (2' by 10') buried under the foot steps of the trail, a small sack of silver coins somewhat different than the ones you know (13 silver pieces). In your search you also find more skeletons of humanoids showing obvious signs of weapon induced trauma. Mostly arrows but also some amputated limbs and a few blunt force trauma deaths. You find around twenty such bodies and a large quadruped skeleton of unknown species buried around and in the trail. They have been picked clean of their possessions assumingly by whomever attacked them.


As you search the sand and destroy the skeletons you find one fascinating skeleton and one too tragic to bear. The first is different from the others in that the skull is somewhat elongated and the bones are light and hollow yet very sturdy. The second is quite obviously a small child's skeleton still clutching the tattered remains of a cloth toy. They do not stir as you dispose of their bones. But as you go through you begin to have an unnatural feeling that this was a place of great sorrow.

Marlowe
2012-11-15, 09:23 AM
"Cheerful." growls Starex. "My expertise lies more in composition than decomposition, but it occurs to me that these people died a lot longer ago than the tracks were made. The tracks are a few days old at most. The bones have been here for months, at least. You don't get to be a skeleton after a few days dead, nor do you get buried this deep by the same winds that have not yet erased the tracks."

She puts a hand to her head And yet the tracks go right across the massacre scene with a precision that is uncanny. In a blank, open desert with a myriad of routes. What am I missing here?

She stops smashing skulls when she comes to the child skeleton and the oddly light one. There's a point where caution and precaution become paranoia.

"I'm no scholar, but it seems to me that those that made the tracks cannot have killed these people. Am I wrong? If I am, please speak"

RCgothic
2012-11-15, 09:26 AM
Lilian


Attempt to identify the species of the unusual skeleton:
Knowledge(Local - humanoids): [roll0]
Knowledge(Nature - Fey): [roll1]
Knowledge(The Planes - Outsiders/Elementals): [roll2]


A few momentsí poking turns up the silk cloth, and as I sweep it free of sand I begin to come across other items as well, the useful ones of which I gather up. Iím standing over the unusual skeleton, pondering its possibilities when Starex discovers the body of the child and my heart implodes again. Itís not the worst thing Iíve ever seen, but itís the last straw for today.

I barely hear her words. I donít think Ė I canít Ė I just dump the small pile of items in the middle of the cloth before taking off Ė flying upwards as fast as I can manage. Straight up into the wide embrace of the heavens until, at about 3000ft and well beyond the notice of my new companions I begin quietly sobbing into my hands.

What happened to Rob? Is he still alive? How will I ever find him again? I have no idea to the answer for any of those burning questions and the torment is too much.

I have no idea how long I spend hanging there, but eventually the rhythmic beating of my wings in the desert air has a calming effect. The air is slightly cooler up here as well, which helps. The shock and adrenaline of my sudden transition and loss begins to wear off, and before too much longer Iím feeling far more like myself. I may not have answers or any idea how to find them, but I have determination and a pressing survival challenge to focus on. As I take out my mirror from my pack and wipe my eyes so as to erase the evidence, I curse myself for my weakness Ė wasting so much moisture in a desert.

I begin to study the terrain again. Whilst before my scanning of the terrain and horizon had been motivated primarily by blind panic, I now repeat the process with a much more thorough and clinical demeanour. Where do the tracks lead? Are there any prominent features, such as mountains, seas or rivers that I can see from this high up? Any cities? Looking at the angle of the suns, I attempt to deduce the time of day, or even how long the day might be Ė have they moved at all in the sky?

Take 20 on the spot. My modifier is +7 including the height for 27.
I rolled a nat 1 on survival in OOC, so I'm guessing I don't know what the time of day is...

I'd say the actions in this post probably take between half an hour and an hour for information. Don't mind me, talk amongst yourselves! :smalltongue:

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-15, 12:26 PM
"I do not know of anyways to make people into skeletons that fast, but magic may work differently here."

Gaher activates his mind blade but stays his hand. "I can not destroy these remains. That could desecrate the area we stand upon."

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-16, 06:56 AM
Lilian

As you sit in the air you begin to notice turbulent winds but not to uncommon in a place with no wide blocks so it does not warrant attention at first but when you begin looking around you see far to the south an unnaturally massive sandstorm headed your direction. you can easily see it to miles wide and moving at an alarming rate. ((I will need a survival roll if you wish to estimate when it would hit you))

Though this demands most of your attention you also see what appears to be a small temple of some kind a few miles down the trail you had found. You also see a small dark blur that looks like it might be a caravan moving towards the temple. Farther north many many miles away you see what appears to be a floating mountain!

Everyone still on the ground

please roll a will save DC 14

EDIT: It is indeed of the enchantment variety

Marlowe
2012-11-16, 07:00 AM
In the immortal words of Saddam Hussein; "50-50".

[roll0]

EDIT::smallfurious:

EDIT: Wait, is this an enchantment effect? It makes a big difference.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-16, 02:32 PM
Alright if it is not mind influencing take 2 off of my roll.

[roll0]

Does not matter either way.

sigma87
2012-11-18, 09:46 AM
Ok guys, sorry if this is the umpteenth time I've posted this, but my phone has been acting really screwy and not showing my posts as updating.
[roll0]

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-18, 07:25 PM
So for those on the ground...

A small desert wind seems to sweep the gorund around you yet nothing stirs. A slow creeping feeling of dispair washs over you but it quickly dissipates, as an unnatural aura seems to eminate from the shattered remains of skeletons. Like a thin wispy smoke oozing out from the damage done to the bones. It swirls around you but as of yet has not done any harm.

Marlowe
2012-11-19, 02:15 AM
"Feel like somebody just dug me a grave" mutters Starex. Then she turns her eyes torward Lilian, a speck in the sky, and puts her hand beside her mouth. "AHOY! Lilian, strange things are afoot! Anything visible? Because we would really like to leave this place sharpish!"

RCgothic
2012-11-19, 03:34 AM
Lilian

Of course there's no way I could hear any of that, being at 3000ft with the wind in my ears, but that's OK, because I'd already reached the conclusion I'd been up here long enough already. Time to let the others know what I'd found. Executing a precisely controlled swan dive, I descend to the others at a fast but unhurried pace. The descent takes slightly more than two minutes, and with the rushing wind under my wings I realise I actually feel a bit exhilarated - the first positive thing I've felt since getting here.

I touch down lightly and relay to the others what I'd seen - a wide expanse of desert seemingly without limit - the impossibly distant, impossibly floating mountain - the temple and the caravan along the tracks - and of course the impending sandstorm.

"Does anyone have any idea what time it is here, or how long the day is? I tried to work it out but came up blank. It may be worth waiting until dark to set out - we can't go very far with this guy unconscious anyway, and we'll need less water at night. In this heat we'll need more than a gallon an hour between us, and even with 'create water' I think we're going to be tight. I think we should consider constructing a temporary shelter in the lee of a dune until it begins to cool."

Marlowe
2012-11-19, 03:49 AM
"Or get used to being buried in sand. Not a joke. That may be our best survival approach during the day. I'm already sounding husky in this heat." she grounds her glaive and grits her teeth. "Sandstorm, you say? Not pleasant. I'd like to keep my eyes. How long? And from which direction? Since we're already talking about the Lee."

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-19, 04:29 AM
And now Mrs. Lilian since you are now touching the ground I need you to roll the save as well, it is an enchantment mind effect (coming from the ground so its pretty hard to dodge unless like you, your flying.

RCgothic
2012-11-19, 04:40 AM
Lilian


For the mountain thousands...beyond a non telescopic eye to tell it looks like a mountain that is about five miles off ground.

For the storm its really hard to tell with no points of reference to base the distance but you believe it to be 72 hours away. The temple is 15ish miles
with the blob being 9-11ish miles away so 4-6 miles from the temple.

As for moving as fast as you normally could... during night its possible during the day with all the negatives you would get I would fear death



I don't even notice the spell's effects, and I indicate again the directions and distances of everything I'd mentioned.

"Sandstorm's probably 72 hours away, but such things are notoriously difficult to judge. The temple's most of a day's travel away, possibly longer if the going is tough or the nights are short."

Marlowe
2012-11-19, 05:50 AM
"Then; hold still 'till night...if we can have any idea how long that will be here. Then seek the temple and ride out the storm?" Starex says thoughfully. Then makes a dismissive gesture with her off hand. "Too passive. Too many unknowns. And this place is not somewhere near which I'd like to linger. Let's get the stiff on his feet, then make for the temple toot sweet. These tracks won't survive the storm anyway."

RCgothic
2012-11-19, 10:15 AM
Lilian

I adopt a dubious expression. "Really? What if it's not even noon yet and the heat is going to get worse? Even with unlimited water there'd be no guarantee we'd make it, particularly as none of us came dressed for travel in a desert. I'm not saying we make camp here exactly-" I pause to grimace at the surrounding scene, all the while fanning myself gently with my wings against the heat "-but we could drag this silk stuff a thousand yards or so and make a shelter with it, and giving this guy more time to recover before waking him couldn't hurt."

I stare up into the sky, shading my eyes against the sun, and attempt to work out what time of day it is again.

Survival(time of day): [roll0]

Marlowe
2012-11-19, 10:25 AM
Starex looks gloomy. "You didn't got hit with the feeling we just got. Something tried to bewitch us here. It may do so again. Yes, the heat may get worse. All the more reason to head for shelter. I'm all for moving at night, but how long is that? How long is the day here?"

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-19, 03:35 PM
Thinking after the attempted bewitchment. Gaher exclaims "I wonder if this man was bewitched by whatever attempted to get us and that is why he is unconscious. It may be a good idea to at least leave this burial ground."

sigma87
2012-11-19, 07:12 PM
"I think it's definitely time to move on. At the very least, we need shelter and the temple seems to be the only place offering it, at least for now. And I think Gaher makes a fine point, there's something spooky in the air here and it will do us no good to stay here. I say we set off following these tracks for the temple, at least until we find some sort of shelter. If we lose the tracks Lilian can keep us oriented and moving in the right direction from the air. Gaher, you and I can take turns carrying our somnambulist friend until he rejoins the land of the waking."

Having said his piece, Balthasaar sheathes his sword, hoists the unconscious man onto his back, takes a swig of water, and waits expectantly for the group to begin moving.

RCgothic
2012-11-20, 03:26 AM
Lilian

I finish my study of the suns and rejoin the discussion.

"I can certainly appreciate not wanting to be here, even without feeling what you all did - and I'm not suggesting we camp on this precise spot - but if you want to head for the temple before nightfall I'm afraid I have bad news and more bad news:

I think the days here are unusually long. Judging by the motion of the sun I'd estimate 32hr days with 19 hrs of light; I guess about five hours since dawn so still three and a half until noon. It's going to get hotter. Much hotter.

Secondly, the Temple is about 15 miles away and we're encumbered. That's what, nearly 8hrs march over good terrain, and this sand is not good terrain. So what you're suggesting is a forced march through the hottest part of the day - a day which is already unbearably hot - in unsuitable clothing. Even if we were to attempt that, my flask holds just half a gallon of water, and I've drunk some of that already, and as I've already mentioned, people die in these conditions even with plentiful water. We'd be dead before we got half-way!"

I point to the suns, the temple and the tracks to illustrate my point. Then I begin wriggling out of my chain shirt, which is already stiflingly warm. Better to be clothed in just my light and airy green dress than stewing under armour! I stow it in my pack.

"Far better to rest during the day. Balthasar can prepare more water spells, and we'll go a lot faster in the cool of the night, which should be easily long enough for us to get to the temple, even if we need to force a march. And even if we don't get there in one night we should still be able to get there before the storm.

Now if someone starts rolling up that silk stuff, I can scout for a decent camp site within a half-mile or so."

Marlowe
2012-11-20, 07:24 AM
"I was afraid of such" says Starex. "Well, I'll grab all the silk I can carry. If we tide out the day and start at noon we should still make the temple before the storm hits." She glares across the sands to where Lililan's indicated the temple lies. "Let's hope there's nothing in it that resents our intrusion, or that if there is, that it bleeds."

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-20, 07:34 AM
Ok as long as every one can drink 1.5 times the needed water you normally would you may remove that amount from your inventory if you do not role a Fort save DC 15+1 for every half gallon you are missing if you fail you take 1d4+1 Non-lethal damage and are fatigued. You may then time skip to the sun setting in the south. Nothing happens except lounging or sleeping if you can do a DC 13 concentration check to ignore the heat.

As you observe the stranger and use some of your time to notice all the little details. You begin to notice that his sleep is not at all natural. His eyes are tainted black and the veins in his face and neck are slowly beginning to darken. Whatever sought to enchant you must have gotten him before you had awoke.

and thats about it... Unless you all still have more to discuss with each other.

Marlowe
2012-11-20, 07:42 AM
((I honestly have no idea how much water is needed normally, or what a half-gallon is:smalleek:))

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-20, 07:49 AM
1 gallon = 3.78Liters of water
most medium creatures need 1 Gallon a day which is how much a water skin holds so you would need 1 and one half water skins of water, or some on to fill yours back up.

Marlowe
2012-11-20, 08:07 AM
(('K. She's short a 1/2 gallon then.

Fort save DC 15. [roll0]))

sigma87
2012-11-20, 11:42 AM
Seeing Starex remains a little short on water, Balthasaar shares half his second skin with her.
"Everyone drink as much as you can now, I can refill about four gallons right now, and six more after we rest. So no sense going thirsty."

Once his skins are empty, Balthasaar refills them each with a muttered word of celestial. Offering to refill anyone elses containers. Once everyone has been refilled, he walks off from the group and begins a litany of mixed draconic and celestial, replenishing his spells and divine power.

Two castings of 'Create Water,' and as I pray I switch my spells to: LvL 0: create water X3, LvL 1: Bless X2, Protection From evil X1, and Mage Armor as my domain spell.

RCgothic
2012-11-20, 12:50 PM
Lilian

After making camp, I finish my waterskin and accept a refill from Balthasar, ensuring I remain fully topped up. I share out the hunks of bread and cheese I had in my pack amongst the others - they won't keep in this heat. After eating, I settle down in the shadiest patch under the sheet that I can find and manage to drift off to sleep on my third attempt. My rest is curiously dreamless - for which I five thanks, there's plenty of stuff I'm trying not to dwell on right now.

On waking I tend to our patient, and his condition has me concerned.
"What do you guys think of this?"

Marlowe
2012-11-21, 06:51 AM
"That he's a problem." says Starex, grateful for the extra water, and inwardly furious she was unable to provide any. "If not but for him, we could just about keep up with the need for water, thanks to Balthazar, but he puts us into a downward spiral even without reckoning that we have to carry him about"

"I'm not sage enough to tell what's wrong with him. I'm not strong enough to deal with carrying him."

"Still, I've a sneaking though that it was because of him that we're stuck here, which would make him possibly the key to getting back. And we can hardly leave him"

RCgothic
2012-11-21, 07:35 AM
Lilian

"I had hoped whatever it was would wear off by now, but he seems like he's getting worse. I haven't seen anything exactly like this before. It may be a curse, or maybe even possession? If it's possession it could be serious, and a threat to all of us. Maybe there'd be someone at the temple who could help.

In fact, I wonder if a blessing might help..."

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-21, 12:49 PM
Have enough water traveler's cloak was a great investment.

"So now what?"

sigma87
2012-11-25, 04:55 PM
"Hm, well I have two options here that may help our guest. One is a general blessing that will make us all a bit more resilient and effective in combat. The other I can only cast on him, but it will provide him with great protection from evil forces, particularly those that target the mind. In either case, I can make the spell last for 1 day before refreshing it."

Balthasaar kneels before the prone form and examines his condition for some clue as to what may be affecting him.

Knowledge religion check: [roll0]

"Whatever we decide, we should move quickly to reach better shelter before dawn, and the storm."

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-25, 07:00 PM
For Knowledge Religion

You realize that a powerful curse has been put on this man, how or why is unknown but his spirit has been forcefully linked to the souls of the dead. The negative symptoms are a result of the evil forcing it's way into his soul. His 'sleep' is him struggling to stay in the realm of the living. This is a potent evil and you believe your magics will delay the progression for a while but you will need much more powerful healing to save this man. Much of the nature of the affliction is still a mystery though and you cannot be sure how long he will survive even with your aid.

sigma87
2012-11-25, 08:17 PM
"This mans curse seems to be drawing his spirit into the land of the dead. My spell will delay it temporarily, but we will need more powerful magic than I posses to help them."

Balthasaar bears his his holy symbol, and prays over the unconscious man. Channeling divine magic to protect him from the influences of evil.
Once the protection is cast, Balthasaar also calls on his inherited abilities, granting himself sight beyond sight.

Persistent Protection From Evil: 3 turning attempts remaining.
Eldritch Invocation: See the unseen

RCgothic
2012-11-26, 02:53 AM
Lilian
"Do what you can for him, and then we had better get moving. It's a long way to the temple and we should try and reach it tonight if possible."

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-26, 05:50 PM
"Well I have all of the supplies to make a kind of stretcher."

Using two extendable rods, and a few of the slings two make a kind of stretcher.

Gaher looks at the man that is traveling with them, he activates detect evil looking for more of that flash he saw last time, Gaher is going to actively watch the unconscious man, as often as he sees the flash he will use 1 hp of lay on hands until he uses up all 9. If it starts to look like the man might become possessed Gaher will shackle the man down but he still wants to get this man to the temple to get him help.

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

Gaher says as he puts on his filter mask to keep the sand out of his mouth and eyes.

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-26, 06:19 PM
Balthasaar

Your spell seems to ease his breathing and pain. But the invocation reveals nothing.


Gaher

Your detection is blocked by the positive energy of your companion's spell but the laying of hands does appear to lessen the previously inflicted symptoms.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-11-26, 06:21 PM
I am going to be constantly watching for any more flashes like I saw yesterday. I am not a scout, so I will focus on what I know I can deal with. If I see another flash I will hit him with a lay on hands.

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-26, 08:25 PM
As the second sun sets and you start your journey towards the temple a moon the color of blood rises in it's place. While the shattered moon stays stationary in the sky. The climate changes drastically as the heat fades it transforms into a bracing chill. As you transverse the sands staying a safe distance from the trail, wary of the evil that has ravaged your nameless companion. The travel is hard for those that walk in the ever shifting sands, footing is difficult as is continually gives under the lightest of weights.

When you see the first light of the coming dawn you can see the temples outlined shadow blurred by the rising light behind it. The caravan seems to have vanished no tents or persons can be seen, the only proof of their exsistance is the trail that ends abruptly and never quiet meets the temple.

You are near exhaustion from the travel and the temple is easily judged to be between one and two more hours of travel. The ground seems to have changed gradually as you approached your destination, from deep sands to loosely covered bedrock leaving almost nothing to use as shelter from the coming heat.

The winds have picked up much speed and carry scolding hot sand and seem to change direction quickly leaving your exposed skin raw and tender.


You may roll a Spot Check DC 20 and/or a Listen Check DC 15

Also on a slightly less important note- The smaller sun still rises with the larger sun because it actually rotates around the larger sun too. The only reason it sets earlier is because your planet's rotation blocks it out before it blocks the red sun.

sigma87
2012-11-29, 01:23 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-01, 10:36 AM
As requested due to the sudden stop in posting {of which I am less than overjoyed} I will be rolling this set of checks. Afterwards I would like my co DM to help run those that are having difficulties. If the problem is me please say so I strive to be a good DM but I too am flawed.

Eisen
[roll0] spot
[roll1] Listen

Marlowe
[roll2]Spot
[roll3]Listen

For those who passed Either check you may roll initiative because you either saw the shimmer of a near Perfectly camouflaged creature similar in size to a lion or you heard a low pitched growl as it and it's two or three kin began encircling you near silently.

sigma87
2012-12-02, 09:48 AM
Initiative Roll: [roll0]
Do you want us to post in turn order or post our actions simultaneously at the beginning of each round?


Balthasaar draws his sword and stands guard over his unconcious companion, prepared to attack any foe that comes in range.

RCgothic
2012-12-02, 01:37 PM
Lilian

"Attack!"

The moment I sense danger I launch myself into the air, putting distance between myself and our stalkers - out of my armour it's imperative I protect myself first - I can't help the others if I'm incapacitated myself! I draw my bow and look for a target.

Initiative [roll0]
I favour all passive rolls rolled by the DM.

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-02, 04:39 PM
Ok the number to beat here is
[roll0]

Eisen_Hammer
2012-12-02, 04:42 PM
I am going to roll initiative for after the surprise round. That way I know where I am going to stand.

[roll0]

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-02, 08:04 PM
[roll0] Marlowe's
Ok so the break down is

First Round
Marlowe- 18
Sigma-17
RC- 14
Creatures- 9


Second Round
Marlowe- 18
Sigma-17
RC- 14
Creatures- 9
Eisen- 5

As long as you go before the Creatures ((Scalder Cats)) You can go in any order. Then the Cats will go then Eisen

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-04, 05:23 AM
I need one of the players or my assistant DM to run Marlowe.. As for the others you may post in any order if you act before the enemy.

RCgothic
2012-12-04, 06:57 AM
Lilian

I've never seen beasts like this before, but they look formidable and deadly! I swiftly draw an arrow and strike at the closest foe.


Move action (earlier post):
Climb 30ft vertical (60ft standard move) & draw bow.

Standard Action:
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Conf: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]


Starex

*Insert quip about scalder cats being sneaky SOBs*

Starex draws her glaive and interposes herself between the beasts and The Patient, ready to strike at anything that gets too close.

Move action:
Move to defend cursed guy + draw glaive.

Standard Action:
Readied attack (creatures getting close)
Attack: [roll4]
Crit Conf: [roll3]
Damage: [roll5]

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-04, 07:16 AM
Insert quick DM foiling roll


[roll0] Over twenty hits under misses..


So the arrow sticks itself firmly into creatures scaly back. As it digs deeply the scales around the hole take on the color of crimson blood. Once you notice the quick change in color you realize the camouflage is actually mirror like scales reflecting the surroundings making them seem near invisible among the dunes.

sigma87
2012-12-04, 06:46 PM
Flames dance momentarily in Balthsaars eyes as he summons eldritch fire and flings it at the nearest beast.

Eldritch Blast: [roll0] ranged touch attack.
Caster level check in case of SR: [roll1]

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-05, 01:46 AM
14 on a RTA hits and no SR so you damage but for more elaborate info on the cinematics I need you to roll damage.

Also At this time you are aware of three such creatures... more may or may not be present and simply hidden.

So when attacking please specify.

SC1= the closest and the injuried one, it is approximately 20 feet directly in front of the group

SC2= A slightly larger (As far as you can tell) Cat still blended very effectively it is 30 feet in front of the group and 15 feet to the (Your) right of SC1.

SC3= Is almost entirely blended and is 30 feet behind the party.

Thank you for your patience I still can't get a mapping tool to work

sigma87
2012-12-05, 05:35 AM
Yeah, totes forgot that damage thing....
Damage: [roll0]

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-05, 08:16 AM
Reflex Dc15
Balthazar: [roll0]
Gaher: [roll1]
Starex: [roll2]
Lilian: [roll3]
[roll4] Damage
If you failed you are blinded for one round and take full damage and if you pass you take a -2 on attack rolls for one round and half damage rounded down.

[roll5] intimidate


The first of the strange mirror scaled creatures lets out a mighty roar and the scales on its body flare up reflecting and intensifying the suns bright light directly at your small group. The unearthly bright light singes the edges of your clothes and blisters the skin.

The smaller one directly behind you jumps out towards your direction. At first it seems ridiculous as it is so far away but when it dives into the sand like a fish into water. The third prowls around to the side of the party and mimics the first's roar but without the flaring of the scales.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-12-05, 12:58 PM
If one is within 5 feet I activate my mindblade and swing

attack:[roll0]
confirm:[roll1]
dmg: [roll2]

If not within five feet I will throw my mindblade

atk[roll3]
confirm[roll4]
dmg[roll5]

RCgothic
2012-12-05, 01:05 PM
Lilian

These beasts are difficult to see, but I have a perfect solution! An outstretched hand and a thought engulfs the largest of the creatures in cool blue flames! Though unharmed it becomes plainly visible for all to see!

Faerie fire vs largest beast - duration 3 mins, outlines it in fire thus negating any camouflage.

Intimidate only works if threatened in melee.

I think Gaher has to wait another round - he didn't get to act in the surprise round, and then he goes after the beasts in this round due to low initiative.

RCgothic
2012-12-05, 01:17 PM
Starex

Starex remains alert for the threat of the third, burrowing scalder cat, moving to cover both Balthasar (clearly blinded) and the sick man with the long reach of her glaive, ready to strike any of the beasts that get within 10ft, even the burrowing one.


Move action: position change for best defence.
Readied Standard action:
Attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

sigma87
2012-12-05, 04:11 PM
"PITS OF THE NINE HELLS, MY EYES!!!

Balthsaar grips his sword in both hands and takes full defense, waiting for his vision to clear.

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-05, 06:08 PM
WELL DONE RCGOTHIC, with a secret roll I determained if a scalder cat would charge Starex.... under 70% no it would understand the danger ((Int 4)) Over 70% it would charge out of instinct any way. I also jokingly have a rule about when I nat 100, Iit usually means the charcters do something awesome.... I nat 100ed :smallbiggrin: prepare for awesome.

@ Eisen
Unfortunately that is correct you did fail to meet the check for the surprise round. But you can choose to keep your melee attack roll for the coming round.

@ Lilian
The intimidate isn't for mechanics of fear but rather a realistic idea of how beasts would fight. They do rely on fear tactics of 'I'm big and scary.. see how big and scary I am, run away cause im scary' they don't understand the concept of roaring in melee to scare you vs roaring where they are, its just a show of force.

Also nice use of faerie fire with the creatures method of blending his entire body has taken on the glow of the flames.

@ Starex

The already injuried creature charges the comatose man but you turn quickly and smack it upside it's head. The shear force of your blow sends the cat reeling and it staggers to one side and trys to shake the concussion off.

As the creature yelps in pain the larger, now blue tinted cat races after you when it pounces you simply yet elegantly turn your body keeping the enemy in your sights as it lands and turn croutching for another attack.
[roll0] AR
[roll1] CC
[roll2] DR
[roll3] TA


@ Gaher


Suddenly a burst of sand comes from underneath you. The submerged cat rockets out of the earth but you are to quick for it. With a simple strafing side step you avoid the cloud of claws and teeth erupting from the ground.

[roll4] AR
[roll5] CC
[roll6] DR
[roll7] TA

RCgothic
2012-12-06, 08:44 AM
Lilian

These cats are tougher than they look! I'm not sure my bow is going to be enough. Slinging it for now, I draw my greatsword in one motion and begin a steep dive, slashing at the wounded cat as I pass. I pull up immediately, and attempt to execute a light pirouette out of its reach before climbing back to safety once more.



Move action:
Descend from 30ft to 25ft: 12.5ft
Tumble 5ft horizontally at half speed: 10ft and DC15: [roll0]
Climb from 5ft to 20ft: 30ft
Total movement: 52.5/60

Standard action mid-move using flyby attack:
Power Attack (2): [roll1]
Critical Confirmation: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

As I pull up I frown - though I connected solidly I'm not sure I penetrated the creature's thick hide. I at least hope the massive blow was suitably unnerving. :smallannoyed:

sigma87
2012-12-06, 01:06 PM
Balthasaar finally shakes the stars from his eyes and closes on the beast that just jumped past Starex. With a scream of rage he cchnnels arcane force through his blade and swings.

AR: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
DR: [roll2]

RCgothic
2012-12-07, 04:13 AM
Starex

*Insert witty pun about being smacked upside the head!*

Starex then attempts to strike the larger blue cat, stepping deftly to keep it at glaive's reach.



AR:[roll0]
CC:[roll1]
DR:[roll2]

5-foot step back from the 2 adjacent cats, and if she can threaten the third as well that would be good!

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-08, 09:50 AM
ok so the only hit was Balthasaar I will update here in a bit just having some problems with the pain meds

An update is coming I swear... Physical therapy is kicking my butt

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-09, 11:49 PM
As Balthasaar slashes the beast across the face the others of the pack dive into the ground causing a small ripple. Moments later they still have not returned for another attack.

Edit: As the beast quickly regains its senses it to dives to safety. ((Sorry I forgot to mention its escape))

sigma87
2012-12-10, 08:20 PM
"I think it's time we move on, I'd rather we don't see that bunch again, especially once the sun cooks out our wits."

Eisen_Hammer
2012-12-11, 11:36 AM
"I agree let us continue on."

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-12, 05:27 AM
Everyone ready to time skip to the temple (or are you willing to brave the storm? muhahahaha)

I would like a head count before we continue, I assume Marlowe is still out of pocket at the moment so we just need confirmation from RC before we jump.

RCgothic
2012-12-12, 05:50 AM
Lilian

I nod to the rest of the group. "Better than staying here and getting cooked when those suns get higher. If you all don't mind, I'm going to keep watch from up here - I'm less protected without my armour, and I may have a better chance of spotting them if they try to ambush us again. There's also less chance of us all getting caught at once again by their blinding attack if we're not all standing together."

With that I climb to about 30ft and proceed with the group at that height.

Eisen_Hammer
2012-12-13, 09:17 AM
"Good idea. Cover our backs and lets try and make this a quick journey."

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-14, 11:57 AM
As you approach the temple you begin to notice some strange details about the area. The first is that the Temple is near destroyed. The roof has caved in on one side, and a sizable sand dune has formed on one side pushing the structure slightly ajar. The second major problem is that no one is present. There is no sign of the caravan at all, just barren earth and sand. The third is strange but oddly pleasant, as you approach the air seems to cool and the breeze carries some moisture that has no describable origin.

RCgothic
2012-12-14, 07:02 PM
Lilian
"That's weird, where did the caravan go?"

I try and spot where the tracks end. The cool is a welcome relief, but we're not out of the sun yet.I am so preparing endure elements tomorrow...

Eisen_Hammer
2012-12-15, 07:31 PM
"I have a bad feeling about this." Gaher says as he activates Detect Evil. Looking for any signs of foes.

sigma87
2012-12-16, 07:22 PM
Knowledge Religion check: [roll0] to see if i recognize anything about the temple.
Knowlege the Planes [roll1] in case it applies.

Doc_Pippin
2012-12-16, 07:43 PM
@Gaher

Detect evil reveals a powerful evil aura eminating from the grounds around the temple but not the temple itself. It seems to seep out of the ground.


@Sigma87

You realize quickly that this was once a temple to Pelor but judging from the symbols and style of the temple it resembles an ancient denomination of pelor worshippers from your own plane. The best you can remember these worshippers were cast out by Pelor himself due to the barbaric mythods of worship they practiced. They had been wiped out of you plane shortly before the Age of Mage Lords.

sigma87
2012-12-18, 08:20 PM
"We could do worse than to rest and regroup here, this is a good place. Though honeztly, I am glad it seems to be abandoned, the cult responsible for this place has a... Less than savory reputation."

Sorry for the delay folks, most of my time at work is spent doing a turn iver to ensure I don't wind up in Leavenworth.

RCgothic
2012-12-23, 03:10 PM
Lilian

I glide softly back to the ground.
"I don't like this place. That caravan can't have just vanished, but I can't see where it went. We've not really got much choice but to seek shelter inside though. If we stay out here we'll either be baked or flayed alive!"

sigma87
2013-01-03, 12:41 PM
"We'll answer no questions debating the merits of this place, let us go in and see what can be found."

With that, Balthasaar shakes some of the sand from his hair and enters the temple, dragging the stretcher with their unconscious companion behind him.