PDA

View Full Version : VK's Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder/3.5 IC, Gestalt)



Von Krieger
2012-11-11, 12:31 AM
In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you received the same greeting when you arrived. You were held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with a runic F. The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Mitra and his chosen mortal vassals.

Condemned, you face at best a life of shackles and servitude in the nearby salt mines. Others might await the “gentle” ministrations of the inquisitors so that co-conspirators may be revealed and confessions extracted. Perhaps, some of you will be spared this ordeal. Perhaps instead you have come to Branderscar to face the final judgment. In three days, the executioner arrives and the axe falls or the pyre will be lit. Through fire or steel, your crimes will be answered.

You have all been chained together in the same communal cell dressed in nothing but filthy, tattered rags. Manhandled and mistreated, any finery you once possessed is either ruined or long lost. No special treatment has been given any prisoner – male or female, commoner or noble – all of the forsaken are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall above by manacles. A guard is posted right outside the cell day and night. Little thought is given to long term accommodations. At Branderscar, justice comes swift and sure.

Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken? Despised, alone and shackled – all that you can do now is await your doom.

For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after what each of you has done?


Feel free to converse with each other, criminal scum.

---

House Rules

Magic Item Identification

Items that have been shown to be magical (either by seeing them used, or detect magic-ed as magical) may have the effects identified by making a Spellcraft check. Characters with Lore-Based abilities (A Bard's Bardic Lore, an Artificer's Artificer Knowledge, etc) may add their class levels to this check.


DC Item
25 Wondrous Items (Minor or 10k and under price)
30 Weapons
30 Armor
30 Wands
30 Wondrous Items (Medium or 10k to 30k in price)
35 Rods
40 Rings
40 Staves
40 Wondrous Items (Major or over 30k in price)


Initiative and Posting
I'll be having all the enemy NPC's acting on the same initiative to make things easier for posting. After the surprise round and round 1 are concluded that allows for all the PC's posting in one chunk.

Pretty much it'll go like this:

Fast PC's Round 1 | Enemies | Slow PC's and Fast PC's in Round 2 | Enemies Round 2

PC's in a general chunk can post whenever they like in that chunk, no matter the initiative, and that'll be the order I resolve actions in.

I hope that's not too confusing.

GM Rolling on Your Behalf
The other thing I see that slows down online games, aside from waiting for initiative, is the GM having an NPC action or something of the like that leads to a PC needing to make a single skill roll, then having the GM post the results.

So I'll just cut out the middle man, roll the skill check, and then give the result so the player can act, rather than having to play four posts worth of ping pong.

Athaleon
2012-11-11, 02:17 AM
A subdued, dejected young man scowls in his chains as the turnkeys depart.

"Well, someone has to say it. What are you all in for?"

Starbin
2012-11-11, 04:08 AM
The dusk skinned half-orc glanced around at the others, having sat silently for the duration of his incarceration. With muscles and sinews rivaled only by the scarred true orc that sat nearby, he appeared to be a warrior of sorts. There was an air about him, one that suggested 'leaving this one alone.' Outside, crowds would part, eyes would be averted, hell the truly meek would cross the street rather than cross this man.

But in here, chained and 'helpless,' it was a different story. He was constantly nudged, prodded, tripped, kicked and spat on in the most childish of ways. The guards had heard about his explosion in Farholde; they seemed to take pride in picking on him, goading him, seeing if they could get him to lose his temper again. His chains and inability to strike back emboldened them, giving them false courage and bravado.

Occasionally, he would amuse himself by turning suddenly and glaring at a guard who had come close, smiling when he forced an armed man to flinch in the face of a manacled, naked prisoner. Of course it typically resulted in more beatings, but it was a small price to pay to show that even in here, he had some control over his life, some say in what happened when all else had been taken from him.

When the scowling, arrogant-looking human spoke, he simply glanced up, wondering who would be the first to answer him. He had no reason to hide his crime, but it simply wasn't in his nature to speak first. He watched, listened and waited for now ... curious as to who and what these others were. The red skinned devil ... the eyeless shade ... the scarred orc ... the other young human ... what were their stories?

Let's see what y'all have to say first :smallwink:

Arthurian
2012-11-11, 10:25 AM
He wouldn't say he suffered the worst beatings, but Michael believed this might have been because he didn't give them much reason to beat him. Every time they, the guards, came he was silent, his eyes closed, his attention elsewhere. So he really wasn't any fun at all. That, of course, was not the purpose for his silence. He suffered the indignity of the beatings he had received in silence. He suffered the loss of his fine clothing in silence. He suffered the smell, the looks, and the hate in silence. Michael remained silent because inwardly he was praying to his god, the being he believed directed him here for a reason. And his faith never wavered, not even when he was brought to Branderscar. He simply continued to pray, silently, without a change of thought or urgency.

Michael's eyes opened at the words that rang through what had been a nearly quiet cell, save for the breathing of those within. They moved around the room slowly from the person across from him, a creature without eyes that he did not recognize, to the person beside him, an impetuous human youth who looked, at least in Michael's opinion, like he lost more then just freedom in being brought here. "For believing in the 'enemy'." The word was what some people commonly used to refer to Asmodeus, but the tiefling spoke with a somewhat sarcastic tone, as if he believed it to be a foolish title.

"But it is his will and so I shall wait." He spoke again after only a moments pause, as if he was trying to decide if there was any harm in speaking. It seemed he didn't find any. With his piece said, Michael's eyes closed and his thoughts turned inward again to his prayers. But there was something a little different to him now. He seemed more aware and it was just as obvious as if he was tilting his head to the side to better hear the others in the cell.

Sjurd
2012-11-11, 11:15 AM
You a see hard, predatory man with sharp, angular features standing in the shadows. His skin is coal-black, tight and taught against his frame. Coming closer, you may be disturbed to see that where his eyes should be, there is only smooth skin. Beneath a slit of a nose, his mouth is overly large, with rows of sharp teeth. His ears resemble an elf, and sweep back against his skull with pointed ends. He is dressed in a simple spun tunic, like most of the other prisoners. He is of medium height and thin, with a slim frame and straight posture.

He sits idly, looking about the room and watching the guards. When the young human asks about their pasts, he twitches his head and gives a small shrug - as much as he is able with his arms chained above his head. "I kidnapped 47 children and sold them for money." His voice is an alien, rasping whisper. His cadence is halting, with emphasis on the wrong syllables. "Some people were upset."

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-11, 12:49 PM
A young human male, no older then 18 years old, with hair as gray as iron, and black eyes that seem to cut up up into componet parts, with a smile that sugessts a secert he knows, and amuses him greatly, and a hooked nose.

"What am I in for? Nothing much. I mulitlated and experimented on a few dozen people, rejected Mitra, am a gaping hole in the weave of 'divine' magic, insulted the judge, warped the flesh of a said experiments into useful abomenations, and created a metal that was organic." He shrugs.

"Over all though, if 626 hadn't escaped, I could have done more research..." He nearly sighs that, sounding wistful, really, only wanting to get back to work. And these creitens have deprived him of any chance of aquiring any organic meterials....

meemaas
2012-11-11, 06:58 PM
Ruuk

The scarred Orc kept his head low, bowed in shame. He listened idly to the chit chat, feeling like he was naked without his fetish. The beatings he had been delivered over the past few days felt like nothing. They were almost welcoming. He lifted his head quietly. He could still see the spirits of his tribe following him. He knew nobody else could, but he felt a little more at ease seeing them. Finally he began to speak. "I decided to return the favor. They decided they were better than my kind. An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. These foolish beings are too sheltered."

Athaleon
2012-11-12, 12:43 AM
Arvus suppressed the urge to sigh and shake his head. They really did throw the worst of the worst into this place, and him along with them. No going back to his old life of wealth and prestige, but damned if he'd meet his end at the ham hands of these chucklef*** turnkeys. Barely one brain between the whole unwashed lot of them.

"All I did was kill a blowhard braggart who had it coming for a long time. Unfortunately, he happened to come from the wrong family." Pausing to listen for approaching guards, he asks in a lower voice, "I don't suppose any of us has a plan? I know a trick or two of the arcane, but I can't do anything with these damned shackles on."

Starbin
2012-11-12, 12:52 AM
Krohl shook his head, listening to the others answer. Blasphemy, mutilation, kidnapping, murder, and the gods knew what else were amongst the list of crimes. With a low grunt, he finally answered the original question. "Because I failed ..."

Watching carefully, he didn't answer at first about a plan, having tried to break the manacles with brute strength before. Testing them again, this time trying to pull them free from the wall, he strained against the chains for a long moment, before relaxing in defeat and slumping forward. "A plan? Dying seems to be our only option right now ..."

Strength check to break free: [roll0] ... just in case it works :smallsmile:

Von Krieger
2012-11-12, 04:06 AM
Alas, Krohl's strength is not nearly enough to free himself from the manacles. Even if he had, now would likely not be a good time to break them, as the sound of the door to the cell-block swinging open can be heard, and the sound of a large number of armored men heading towards the cell.

With half a dozen guards behind him is Sergeant Tomas Blackerly. The fat sergeant was the one who had inflicted the brand upon each of the men in the cell, and laughed while he did so.

TOMAS BLACKERLY
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/448/blackerlysmall.png

Blackerly isn't laughing now. In fact he doesn't have much of an expression on his face. His stare is a little glassy eyed. Maybe he's a little drunk, or perhaps the porky ponce had a bit of misfortune and got himself a bit of a concussion. It'd serve him right.

SENSE MOTIVE, DC 25
The Sergeant is not drunk or concussed, rather he seems to be under some sort of magical enchantment or compulsion.


He slowly looks over the prisoners bound to the wall, his gaze finally falling upon Krohl. The dazed look vanishes from his face, his arrogant smirk coming out into full bloom once again.

"That one!" he says, gesturing to Krohl. Four guards enter the cell, two with their clubs out, one behind them with a sword, and then one up front with the keys to unchain the half-orcs shackles and manacles from their place on the wall.

"If any of 'em makes trouble, give them a thrashing!" he says before seizing Krohl's manacles and attempting to yank him off balance. Being bigger and stronger, Krohl doesn't budge, which earns him a boot to the backside from one of the club wielders behind him. The guards seem to be looking forward to having the opportunity to have any excuse to beat on some bound and chained, unarmed prisoners.

Blackerly turns, leading Krohl out by the hold on his manacles. "Today is your lucky day, Toothy! You've got a visitor. Says she's your fiance. How an ugly bastard of a half-breed like you got himself such a fine lady is beyond me."

And beyond Krohl as well, as he has no idea what Blackerly is talking about.

BRANDERSCAR PRISON, GREAT HALL LEVEL 2
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6942/prisonoots02.png

The half-orc is lead out into the guardroom beyond the cell-block, pretty empty aside from two chairs, a small table, and the two additional guards occupying the chairs. There is a faint scent of something cooking in the air, actual food rather than the slop the prisoners have been given. They look rather miffed at having their game of checkers interrupted by the procession to and from the cell block.

Krohl is roughly escorted into a side room that smells of a recent (and hurried) attempt at cleaning. As Krohl is pushed into the room a beautiful woman in the well-tailored mourning attire of a black dress and silken veil rushes to Krohl and wraps her arms around him.

PERCEPTION, DC 20
The room has been used sometime recently as a torture chamber. The scent of burnt flesh still hangs faintly in the air, and the stones still sport bloodstains.

It looks like the torture equipment was hurriedly moved elsewhere and the room given a quick and sloppy cleaning in the last week or so.

TIADORA, ALLEGED FIANCE
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8567/tiadorasmall.png

"My dearest!" says the unfamiliar woman, "I'm so glad you're still alive! I was worried that I had not made it in time!"

She snuffles and lets go of Krohl.

"Good sir," she says, looking to Blackerly, "May I please have one last moment alone with my love?"

That blank, glassy-eyed look returns to Blackerly's face for a few moments. "of course, my lady. 'Tis no problem!" he says with an awkward bow and turns on his heels. He glares at Krohl as he passes him, "No fornicatin'. I hear any funny noises and..."

"Sergeant? If you please?" the woman adds and Blackerly nods and exits the room, shooing back his entourage of guardsmen to give Krohl and his 'fiance' the privacy she requested.

SENSE MOTIVE, DC 15
As the DC 25 check above. Blackerly is definitely under this woman's magical influence

The moment the door closes the woman's demeanor changes, a sly smile appearing on her face to replace the look of grief she just wore.

"Have you forgotten me, dearest?" she says with a chuckle, taking a seat atop the large table behind her so that her unearthly emerald gaze is at eye level with the taller half-orc. She brushes a few strands of hair back behind one ear, so platinum as to be nearly white.

"Call me Tiadora, and we possess a mutual friend. Our friend is quite interested in meeting you and the associates you keep back in your cell. Unfortunately our friend has standards, and these dismal surroundings are not to his liking."

She gestures at the room around her, "See the wonderful job they did of cleaning up when the famed witch hunter, Sir Balin of Kerfeld arrived to drop off the pair of heretics amongst your associates. Bad form to have a torture chamber so close to the cell block. It smacks of laziness."

Tiadora waves her hand, dismissing the thought, "Anyway, as a result of these circumstances it seems that you must break your appointments with the Reaper and escape from a prison that has yet to have a successful breakout."

The woman seems to perk up at seeing the involuntary look that crosses Krohl's face when he's given the news that no one has ever escaped from Branderscar. "Oh don't look so dour, dearest! It just means that you and yours will have to be the first."

She gets to her feet, dabbing at her false tears with her veil. "Once you've managed to break free of this amateurish little hellhole, cross the moors on the outskirts of Branderscar town. On the Old Manor Road will be a mansion with a single lantern burning in the second story. That will be were our mutual friend awaits your arrival."

Tiadora removes he veil and folds it, tucking it into Krohl's fist.

"Something to remember me by, dearest." she says with another chuckle, and gestures to the door, as if asking for permission to put an end to the meeting.

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-12, 10:33 AM
Lets see, is this a standard prision, and what is th standard breaking point of iron and steel again.... Matthazar Grims face furrows, thinking.....

Knowledge(Engineering) Check; [roll0]

Starbin
2012-11-12, 11:02 AM
As Krohl's arms dropped back to his sides from exertion, the sound of the cell door swinging open drew everyone's attention. Glancing up, Krohl inwardly growled - it was Blackerly ... or 'Fat Black' as the half-orc had taking to thinking of him. The man stood staring blankly, the usualy cruel smile not on his face. His steps were wooden, his gaze vacant but searching, his pupils were not dilated ... Krohl's eyes narrowed as he realized it wasn't fatigue or alcohol that was affecting Fat Black, but something of a magical nature.

Alert and on guard, Krohl waited tensely as the sergeant searched the room. When his eyes found Krohl, he changed, that familiar smile returning to his face as his gaze sharpened. "That one!"

Figures ..., thought Krohl as the guards walked over, surrounding him. He endured the standard game of 'control,' as they tried to yank him around, he showed them that wasn't going to happen ... and then they kicked him.

"Today is your lucky day, Toothy! You've got a visitor. Says she's your fiance. How an ugly bastard of a half-breed like you got himself such a fine lady is beyond me."

Even the normally stoic half-orc couldn't surpress the look of surprise that flashed over his face. "Hunh ..." was his only response. He was nonplussed enough to follow the guards docilely. However, he did find time to glance around as they lead him to a small room, noting the guards, smells and layout as they moved.

When he entered the room, the woman waiting there was stunning. An imperious-looking platinum blond with cleavage that could swallow a man, she rushed over to hug him. "My dearest!" says the unfamiliar woman, "I'm so glad you're still alive! I was worried that I had not made it in time!"

Krohl mumbled something, distracted by the warmth of her body and the heady smell of her hair. When she asked Fat Black to leave them, the man took on that glassly look again and bowed, leaving with a last warning about fornication.

Turning back to the woman, he raised an eyebrow, wondering what she was doing here ... and if fornication was actually a possibility. But once the guards filed out of the room, she sat and turned to business.

"Call me Tiadora, and we possess a mutual friend. Our friend is quite interested in meeting you and the associates you keep back in your cell. Unfortunately our friend has standards, and these dismal surroundings are not to his liking."

Krohl frowned, wondering who could possibly give a rat's a$$ about him ... or any of the others for that matter.

"See the wonderful job they did of cleaning up when the famed witch hunter, Sir Balin of Kerfeld arrived to drop off the pair of heretics amongst your associates. Bad form to have a torture chamber so close to the cell block. It smacks of laziness."

Looking around, Krohl realized that's why it smelled like soap and lye. Looking back at the woman, he waited for what else she had to say.

"Anyway, as a result of these circumstances it seems that you must break your appointments with the Reaper and escape from a prison that has yet to have a successful breakout."

Krohl blinked at that fact ... he hadn't thought about escaping, but it definitely changed your perspective when you found out it had never been done!

"Oh don't look so dour, dearest! It just means that you and yours will have to be the first."

She gets to her feet, dabbing at her false tears with her veil. "Once you've managed to break free of this amateurish little hellhole, cross the moors on the outskirts of Branderscar town. On the Old Manor Road will be a mansion with a single lantern burning in the second story. That will be were our mutual friend awaits your arrival."

She moved close and handed Krohl her veil, placing it in his meaty fist. "Something to remember me by, dearest."

When she waved at the door, Krohl raised a finger, a few questions on his mind. Glancing down at the veil in his hand, he wanted to know who this friend was, why had he been chosen, and a number of similar questions. However, at this point he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth ... especially since the alternative was the noose or the axe in a few days time, or life in an unescapable prison. Clearing his throat, he raised his head and spoke in a low growl. "You said associates ... does our friend want them all? How long with Fat Black be loopy like that?

Then before he left, he gave a toothy smile. "Last question, when we get out, are you available?"

Von Krieger
2012-11-12, 10:27 PM
When she waved at the door, Krohl raised a finger, a few questions on his mind. Glancing down at the veil in his hand, he wanted to know who this friend was, why had he been chosen, and a number of similar questions. However, at this point he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth ... especially since the alternative was the noose or the axe in a few days time, or life in an unescapable prison. Clearing his throat, he raised his head and spoke in a low growl. "You said associates ... does our friend want them all? How long with Fat Black be loopy like that?

"He's not 'loopy,' dearest. He is merely enchanted as to obey a few simple suggestions. I got him to bring me in here, got him to leave us alone, and will let him return you to your cell without the bother of having been searched. But he will only go so far in my service. Turning him against his fellows, unlocking the lot of you, even so much as being careless with his keys."

"Alas, my power over him is not so absolute, I can merely coax him into performing duties that a little financial persuasion would accomplish, nothing more, lest I risk breaking my hold on him entirely. And that would be dangerous to me, dearest, so it is unthinkable." she seems to rather enjoy talking about herself and her power.

"As for your associates, the more the merrier. But if a few unfortunates fall by the wayside? Well, than they were not of the caliber of individual that our mutual friend would like to meet. He has seen to give you the means to make your escape. If by misfortune or ignorance someone manages to get themselves slain, then that is less worthless baggage bound around your ankles."


Then before he left, he gave a toothy smile. "Last question, when we get out, are you available?"

Tiadora merely chuckles at the suggestion. She tilts her head slightly to the side for a moment, and her expression changes back to one of agonizing grief. She embraces Krohl once again and delivers a kiss upon his cheek. Her lips are cold as ice and her touch feels alien and inhuman. "No, I can't bear to leave you!"

Blackerly opens the door and steps in, clearing his throat politely, "I'm afraid it's time, miss." he says, uncharacteristically polite.

Tiadora seems to reluctantly part from Krohl, but she does so. "Thank you, Sergeant, for letting me say goodbye. You are such a good friend for allowing me to see my dearest one last time."

"Such a good friend," Blackerly repeats, his voice almost mechanical. He then seems to snap out of it and bows, "A pleasure, madam." he says, taking her hand and beginning to lead her out.

Tiadora turns, meeting Krohl's gaze one last time, flashing him a wicked smile.

"Three days until you meet the Reaper," the words echo in Krohl's mind, "Don't disappoint me, dearest."

With that Krohl is lead back into his cell by the half dozen guards, his shackles and manacles bound to the wall once more. Although he still has Tiadora's veil in his possession.

TIADORA'S VEIL
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1566/sveilsmall.jpg

Looking at it from the front, the veil appears to be nothing more than a simple silken veil. But turning it over reveals embroidered patches that are unseen when viewing it from the front.

The is a potion, a bag, two daggers, a coil of rope, a lantern, a pile of small objects (gold pieces perhaps?), a thorned star (the symbol of Asmodeus), some rather familiar looking tools common to the thievery trade, and for some reason, a window.

Starbin
2012-11-12, 10:45 PM
Krohl waited until the guards were done with their abuse, accepting it with customary silence and glares. Once they left and the sounds of their boots had disappeared, Krohl looked down at the veil ... and smiled. His first genuine smile in a long time. Tugging at the patch with the lockpicks, he waited to see what happened ...

Just to speed things up, I'll assume that lockpicks appear, like a robe of many things or something

Eyes widening, he caught the picks before they could fall. Looking at the others, he whispered hoarsely, "So we know why everyone's here. But who'd like to miss their date with the executioner?"

Working on picking my manacles ... will take 10 if possible (18 result); if not, here's a check: [roll0]

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-12, 10:50 PM
"Eh, much as it is a mess of contradictory biological signals, I've grown rather attached to life. Besides, I haven't dissected any witch hunters yet. I've always wondered if their lobes had a...."

Lapsing into what sounds like technical jargon, he's just mutter under his breath now.

Von Krieger
2012-11-12, 10:51 PM
You can indeed take 10 on the check. Unfortunately due to the awkward angle the manacles are holding your hands at, you have a -2 penalty to pick the lock on them, offset by the +2 of the tools. You'll need to hit a 20 to open them.

I'll throw out a few rolls...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Von Krieger
2012-11-12, 10:54 PM
Slow and steady doesn't seem to be capable of winning this race, and Krohl has to engage in some uncomfortable twisting of the wrist in order to get the pick into place just right.

With his hands free it's child's play to unlock his shackles. The locks are ancient and cheap, incredibly easy to pick. Krohl gains an additional +2 bonus to unlocking the rest of the manacles and shackles, allowing him to take 10 to perform the task.

Arthurian
2012-11-12, 11:09 PM
Michael's eyes would be open and focused upon the half-orc from the moment of his return, an unusual display of interest from the normally quiet tiefling. At the half-orcs question, he grins wolfishly, "I think I'm okay with missing my burning. With someone like me it would have taken quite a while."

The moment he was free, Michael would dip his head lightly to the half-orc who so skillfully undid his bindings. Then his eyes would sweep over the muscular criminal curiously. "Your fiance wouldn't have happened to have given you any party favors for the rest of us, did she?"

Starbin
2012-11-13, 12:11 AM
Yeah, let's make some basic assumptions, based on the fact that we're not supposed to kill each other outright, or be complete and utter d*&ks to one another ... well, not withou reason :smallbiggrin:

Once the others were freed, Krohl nodded to the doors. "Best we stay seated ... till we're ready to blow this place." Glancing back down at the veil, he paused at the tiefling's question. "What are you lookin' for?"

As he waits for the others, Krohl is thinking about the next steps. Obviously they needed to get out of the cell. The only way he had seen was through that room with the two guards ... hopefully the other group with Fat Black were all gone. But then what? Hell, he didn't even know what time of day it was ...

Blinking, he glanced up at the others. "Lady wasn't my fiancé - said she's got an employer who liked to meet me and my associates. Between that and dying in three days, I'm leaving. Name's Krohl."

That was about as talkative as the big man had ever been, but such were the sacrifices to be made in the name of escape ...

Arthurian
2012-11-13, 01:10 AM
"Michael. And if I may...?" Michael would lean over Krohls shoulder and quickly glance at the veil, though it looked like a very fine piece of cloth to him. He points at the inverted star in the center, "Is that part of the design or is it something that can be removed?" He asks curiously, glancing to the half-orc to see if he could remove it. Michael, it seemed, wasn't going to try and take it from Krohl.

Athaleon
2012-11-13, 01:24 AM
Arvus rubbed his wrists and ankles where the irons had been.

"I'm ready to go when you all are. Whoever this woman is, I'm just glad to know someone out there is on our side."

Starbin
2012-11-13, 01:26 AM
Krohl kept an ear out for returning guards, but shrugged at the tie fling. Pulling the patch free, he gave whatever it turned into to Michael.

Von Krieger
2012-11-13, 02:44 AM
Removed from the veil, the star changes into a silver Unholy Symbol of Asmodeus.

Starbin
2012-11-13, 08:43 AM
Krohl held up the strange looking star. "That mean something to you?"

Arthurian
2012-11-13, 12:10 PM
Michael gently takes the silver Unholy symbol from the half-orcs. Almost immediately upon contact the tieflings arm ignites with a small, deep red glow. "You could say that." He replies with a wicked grin, turning his backs on the others for a moment to revel in the return of a great deal of his power.

Then, as he waits for others to get prepared, he takes a seat in the corner of the cell and begins muttering under his breath, performing what sounds like an old ritual to any who have the magic know how to understand. The moment the ritual finishes that same deep red light envelops the tieflings briefly and, in his place, leaves a larger, far more devil like Michael with horns that curl over his head and razor sharp claws. He stands, slowly, letting himself get accustomed to the new height, and then turns his eyes, now appearing to smolder like embers, over the rest of the group. "Whats the plan then?"

meemaas
2012-11-13, 08:04 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk rubs his wrists softly, then turns and speaks to the spirits he sees. "I see now why you are still here. I can still avenge you. Thank you for having faith in me where i didn't." He then turns to the others. "In exchange for my freedom and my second chance at vengeance, i will gladly support you and your mysterious friend."

Starbin
2012-11-13, 09:50 PM
Krohl nodded to the Orc. Pulling free the two patches with daggers, he looked at the others. "Who needs a blade?". Words the half-Orc never old have imagined asking a group of imprisoned criminals, but there it was ...

Athaleon
2012-11-13, 10:57 PM
Arvus smiled, and actually had to keep himself from laughing out loud. Here he was, locked in a cell with an acolyte of the Enemy, and the sight of the Unholy Sign of Asmodeus filled Arvus with more hope than he had felt since the verdict was handed down.

And the welcome sights just kept coming. Arvus' eyes lit up as the Half-Orc produced a pair of daggers from their mysterious benefactor's veil. "I can use one of those."

Sjurd
2012-11-14, 01:01 AM
Gleefully rubbing his now-free wrists, Tom rushes over and gently takes one of the daggers from Krohl. Looking down at the veil, he flexes his fingers in eagerness and removes the thieves tools from the veil. Hefting the lock-picking kit in one hand and the dagger in the other, he smiles in excitement and shows his needle-like teeth. "This is pleasing." He flips the dagger and catches it in a backhand grip, testing its weight. He notices the potion and takes a closer look with his eyeless brow.

Sjurd
2012-11-14, 01:03 AM
Spellcraft, identify the potion [roll0] *sad trombone sound*

Starbin
2012-11-14, 01:04 AM
Krog stared at the alien-looking gloom, letting him take the blade. When Black Tom reached for the veil, however, Krog pulled away slightly. "Let's not get grabby ... Whaddya need?"

Sjurd
2012-11-14, 10:15 AM
"The thieves tools. I have some skill in thieving and other related pursuits." He looks around and checks for guards. "Shall I open the door now, or wait for night to fall?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-14, 10:27 AM
Freed from his shackles, the good doctor rubs his wrists.

"I must decline a dagger. While I miss my syringe and scalpel, I am more suited to background tasks, to act in a support role. However, if we could gather some raw meterials on the way out?"

Arthurian
2012-11-14, 03:13 PM
Michael waves one of his clawed hands, the one not grasping his holy symbol, and says with a rather wicked looking grin. "I have no need of any weaponry at this point in time. Do you believe we'll be fighting our way out then?"

Starbin
2012-11-15, 11:46 AM
Krohl shook his head at the eyeless thing. "I'm gonna keep these ... I have 'some skill' too." To the young human, he shrugged. Turning back to Michael, he grunted, "Dunno. But we might. Better get going while we can."

Sjurd
2012-11-15, 04:28 PM
OOC: DM, do we know what time of day it is?

Von Krieger
2012-11-16, 09:13 AM
OOC: DM, do we know what time of day it is?

You have no clue. There are no windows in the place at all.

*taps head* Did I miss someone trying to pick the cell door, or did that happen and I forgot about it?

Starbin
2012-11-16, 09:53 AM
No, we hadn't gotten that far yet ... I was giving the others a chance to say yay or nay before we started the Great Escape ... But let's just move along, shall we?

With the daggers handed out, the Star in Michael's clawed hands, and the picks in his own possession, Krohl glanced down at the veil again. It seemed their patron knew a little about them, and had some knowledge of this place. It stood to reason that each of these items might have value later.

Money could be used to bribe, or to purchase passage, or buy clothes and weapons once they were free. The rope might be needed if they were high up. Who knew what the vial or the bag contained ... and why a window? He'll if he could figure it out.

Looking back to the others, he made the decision to open the patches for the vial and the bag, and held each up. "Anyone know what these are?". After the others spoke, or checked the items out, he turned to the cell doors, and studied the lock. Time to work on freeing themselves ...

Let's get this party started! I'm guessing the picks aren't masterwork or anything, so let's see if Krohl can't get them out of here. I'm guessing the others will work on figuring out the other two items.

Last question - can we use a length of the chains as a weapon (I.e. spiked chain)?

Von Krieger
2012-11-16, 10:16 AM
The vial turns out to be a rather expensive looking bottle, with a cloudy red liquid inside.

The bag turns out to be... wait for it... wait for it... a bag! Actually it's a pretty good sized sack (just the size Black Tom uses to transport the kiddies to his candy van!) filled with decent condition clothing in sizes that fit just about everyone present in the cell.

The sack also has several smaller pouches inside. These are spell component pouches (or their equivalents if anybody has a similar sort of item.)


Let's get this party started! I'm guessing the picks aren't masterwork or anything, so let's see if Krohl can't get them out of here. I'm guessing the others will work on figuring out the other two items.

Last question - can we use a length of the chains as a weapon (I.e. spiked chain)?

The picks are indeed Masterwork quality.

And though you are terrible, horrible criminals you do not warrant the usage of spiky chains. You could probably use a length of chain as an improvised weapon, with the usual terrible, horrible penalties to usage. :P

Sjurd
2012-11-16, 04:36 PM
Tom grips his dagger and lightly snaps the fingers of his other hand, wreathing them in a soft susurrus of arcane energy. "Let's be off." He looks to Krohl with the lockpicking set.

ooc: Masterwork manacles are worth quite a bit, btw. Anyone have Appraise trained?

Arthurian
2012-11-16, 05:23 PM
Michael

"I have no idea about some of that, but unless that window there opens up this wall, we'll have to go out the front door." Michael grins at the idea as he grabs a two small bags for his spells. "So how about we get these doors open and get started. I'll take the lead if you like. I'm the best... equipped at the moment." Michael chuckles a little at his joke and looks to the others to see if there was any dissent.

meemaas
2012-11-16, 05:47 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk closes his eyes, the spirits around him, the ones of his people, being drawn to his hands. As he opened them again, both his hands had been replaced by claws, glowing with a dark energy that felt evil. "I'll back you up. The spirits of my tribe crave blood." He smiled a twisted grin, and watched for the half-orc to unlock the door.

Starbin
2012-11-16, 10:25 PM
Krohl nodded to the others, grabbing some clothes from the bag and changing quickly. Pants, a belt, and a vest were enough for now ... And a decent pair of leather boots. It was nice to have pockets again.

Tossing the sack to one of the others, Krohl dropped own to work on the cell door.

Well, if the picks are MW, then taking 10 nets a 20. However, if we need higher, I can roll. Total bonus is currently +10.

Von Krieger
2012-11-17, 05:29 AM
The cell door opens without a sound. The band of a half dozen criminals is now loose. They begin to move for the door when a hideous, buzzsaw-like sound fills the air, shortly followed by a softer, shorter version of the same sound, and then a yawn. The sound comes from the cell to the west, where actual solid stone walls have been placed to keep the occupant within, rather than mere bars.

Chained to the wall as you've been, the lot of you have been unable to see the only other creature sharing your cellblock. But you may have been paying attention and heard a bit of gossip from the guards.

KNOWLEDGE: LOCAL, DC 12
You recall from overhearing some of the guards about this fellow. Grumblejack is one of the very few ogres still alive on Talingarde. He'd been acting out of a moor and making a living as a highwayman before he was caught, dragged here, and branded.

Two guards died getting him into the cell, and now the local constabulary keeps him here until there is a suitable occasion to make a spectacle out of his public execution.

Sjurd
2012-11-17, 10:15 AM
Intelligence check [roll0]

ooc: That makes two 4's in a row, diceroller. *shakes fist*

Starbin
2012-11-17, 12:44 PM
KS(Local): [roll0] Krohl got a glint in his eye as he saw the huge creature in the cell, remember what he had heard about the beast. Nodding towards the sleeping form, he grunted to the others. "Grumblejack ... ogre bandit. Good distraction."

Stepping up to the bars, he tapped lightly. "Ogre ... wake up. S'your lucky day."

Von Krieger
2012-11-17, 12:54 PM
Krohl suddenly finds his tapping hand in the meaty grip of a rather baffled looking ogre, who promptly lets go of him. "Bah, thought one of tiny guards was stupid enough to come tap on cell door. But you are not guard." His beady eyes focus on Krohl's missing tusk. "Guards have better dental plan."

Starbin
2012-11-17, 01:11 PM
Krohl shrugged. "I look into one when I get out. Question is, you gonna stay and wait for a neck high hair cut, or what?"

Sjurd
2012-11-17, 06:16 PM
"Such a fine physical specimen would certainly help against any guards we encounter." Tom sniffs and turns his eyeless face side to side, as though 'sensing' something about the ogre. "Are you peaceable, Large One?"

Von Krieger
2012-11-17, 06:18 PM
The ogre stares at Tom, though Tom doesn't stare back. "No, I am Grumblejack. I am ogre. I am not... what you say? Peacenik?"

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-17, 06:21 PM
"Well, I would help with the dental, but I lack the parts. Besides, while possible to fuse the teeth of several humanoids to reform the tusk, it would lack.... offensive abillity. And how rude of me." He bows, shortly, but he does bow.

"Matthazar Grim, Doctor and Surgeon, late of Farholde and Talingarde, and it is a pleasure to meet you."

Sjurd
2012-11-17, 06:51 PM
Tom ticks his head to one side, considering the ogre's reply. "We help Grumblejack. Grumblejack helps us. We be friends to escape prison?"

Edit: I said that Tom "c*cks his head to one side", not anything dirty. :smalltongue:

Von Krieger
2012-11-17, 07:35 PM
"Yes, I help you escape prison. Why were you not saying so in the first place? Of course problem of door needs to be out of way first." he gestures to the cell door. "Would normally not be problem, but I think there is something the the food, make me weak."

Sjurd
2012-11-17, 08:32 PM
Tom looks to Krohl and his lockpicks.

Starbin
2012-11-18, 02:57 AM
Krohl shook his head, muttering, "That's what I was trying to do ... when you got all grabby ..." Leaning down, he worked on the lock to the door, hoping the additional power of the ogre would help their efforts to escape ... or at the least serve as a distraction, if necessary.
Taking 10 for Disable Devices (Result: 20) unless a roll is needed. Here's a few - [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]

"Let's go. This way." Krohl headed towards the room, motioning for the others to try and be quiet.

Stealth towards the room where Krohl was taken (I think): [roll4]; perception check to hear anyone coming: [roll5]

Arthurian
2012-11-18, 03:46 AM
Michael

As the Half-orc and the others conversed around the Ogres cell, Michael began preparing the group for battle, saying aloud, "If you all will be so kind as to not resist the spells I'm about to cast.." He follows the words by repeatedly casting a simple spell with a flick of his hand and a whisper. A simple message spell was all he cast, even including the Ogre if the creature acquiesced. To those who accepted, Michael would whisper too them through the spell, "Now you can all speak to me over a greater distance without having to raise your voice. I can relay your messages as well. If we communicate this way, we can even formulate plans without alerting the enemy. Do try not to talk all at once though."

The tiefling was, admittedly, not the quiet type. He had little skill or experience with sneaking around, so he hung back with the others like him, ready to charge in at a moments notice if his strength was needed. As the group began to move he would cast one final spell. Around the devilish looking tiefling a solid red light would briefly flare, then fade away. Armored now by a small spell of force, Michael was set. So, with a grin of confidence, he turned his attention to the Ogre, using the spell to speak to the creature if he had accepted or speaking in a low whisper if not.

"Grumblejack, was it?" Michael's tail flicks around at random behind him as he speaks, disturbing the pitch black skirt he wore from the waist down to his feet. The skirt seemed to be made for him, as there was even a whole in the back of it for said tail. He gestured a little with his hands as he spoke, letting the ogre see the rather wicked claws growing from them and the holy symbol clasped in the right hand. "I'll be fighting on the frontlines with you, so be sure to watch my back and I'll watch yours, right?"

Sjurd
2012-11-18, 10:43 AM
Tom follows close to Krohl, keeping to the shadows.

Stealth check [roll0]

ooc: A 5? Oh, thank you, diceroller! Thank you! I'll add that to my two 4's.

Von Krieger
2012-11-18, 07:32 PM
Grumblejack's eyes widen as Michael casts a spell, apparently not used to magic. He seems a bit awed at the display. "Yes, I will watch back. You are magician, yes? Possibly healer?" he seems a bit reluctant to indicate his injuries, but from the mosaic of bruises spread across his body, it looks like the guards have been getting their licks in somewhat frequently. Likely why he's taken to lightly sleeping by the door.

---

The guards on the other side of the door are completely and totally oblivious as to what's going on on the other side of the door.

PERCEPTION, DC 15
“That Blackerly is a damned thief! That game was rigged last night!”

“If it’s rigged, why do you keep going back to the gatehouse then?”

“The beer’s passable.”

One guard chuckles, “Drinkin’ on duty! Damn, this place has gone to hell. Captain Callidan would have never tolerated that crap. That’s for sure!”

“Captain Callidan … he left, what? Two years ago?”

“Almost three and since then the place has been straight down the ****ter. That old wizard never leaves his tower. He stays up there reading his books and petting his owl!”

“Petting his owl? Is that what they call it these days?” The two share a chuckle, unaware of the looming death hovering nearby.

[roll0] Guards' Perception

Arthurian
2012-11-18, 07:58 PM
Michael

The tiefling, with a rather fiendish grin, nods his head. "I actually am, yes. But I'm afraid my god does not take kindly to giving things out for free." He chuckles, "Then again, what fool does? You have to give it your best out there to earn this, you got it? If you prove yourself worthy there might be even... more powerful magic down the line for you."

OOC
Casting Cure light wounds [roll0]

The tiefling would rest a hand on the ogre's shoulder, showing little fear from the larger creature. Judging from the talons on his hands and the devilish mask of confidence he was now wearing, perhaps he had no reason to be afraid. The hand would, firmly, halt both his and the orges pace for a moment, giving Michael time to bow his head and whisper a prayer. Almost immediately his holy symbol would glimmer with a wicked red light, and the bruises and other injuries that Grumblejack suffered would glow as well. When the weak light, barely touching the stones beneath their feet, faded Michael would open his eyes and inspect his work. "Not bad..." He murmurs. "It appears my god is showing his favor to you. Do not waste it, understood?"

With a grin Michael would begin walking again to catch up with the rest of the party, letting his question hang in the air behind him to fill the ogre's mind.

Starbin
2012-11-19, 11:19 AM
I don't think you need to answer anything, VK. Weekends are always sporadic for my posting, so let's get this started! Does the door appear to be locked?

As Krohl knelt next to the door, listening, he couldn't hear anything. He tested the spell Michael had cast, whispering, "I don't hear anything, but two guards were here before. Gonna open the door ... anyone got magiks to help? If not, send the ogre ..."

Athaleon
2012-11-19, 12:00 PM
Clutching his dagger in his right hand, Arvus looks inside one of the spell component pouches that their mysterious patron had smuggled in. That Message spell was quite handy, he mused as he tested it. "I think I know just the thing to lay these chumps flat. Ready when you are."


We start out with a day's complement of prepared spells, right? If so:

Wizard, Level 0:
Detect Magic, Read Magic, Prestidigitation

Magus, Level 0:
Daze, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights

Wizard, Level 1:
Mage Armor, Reduce Person

Magus, Level 1:
Color Spray

Von Krieger
2012-11-19, 12:58 PM
The door is indeed locked. You'll have to give me a Stealth check to be unheard as you pick.

Then again the guards' perception is a +2, and they've been rolling pretty horribly thus far when I've run this module (here and on another site).

Arthurian
2012-11-19, 03:52 PM
Michael

Michael spends a few moments relaying the messages sent to him to the others. It was easier for him, since he had to only whisper once to speak to all, where as others had to go through him. Still, useful and unlikely to be overhead.

"Khrol, it appears we have a volunteer. Feel free to open the door. Arvus, be ready with your spell and make sure to get into the room quickly so Grumblejack and I have a clear path. Everyone else get ready and enter at your leisure." The message went to the whole group at the same time, no matter the distance, with a hushed whisper. Michael would look to the Ogre to confirm the man was ready, then whisper to all, "Ready when you are Khrol."

Starbin
2012-11-19, 04:34 PM
Nodding to himself, Krohl tried to unlock the door as quietly as possible.
Not sure if you can get a bonus to Stealth by going slower, but here we go. Stealth: [roll0]; Disable Device: [roll1]

Sjurd
2012-11-19, 07:45 PM
Perception check [roll0]

Tom listens carefully at the door and relays what he hears through Michael's magical communication.

Read the above spoiler, everyone!

He waits patiently for Krohl to open the door.

Von Krieger
2012-11-20, 08:10 PM
The guards on the other side of the door are completely and totally oblivious to the lockpicking going on not too far from their current position. From the other side of the door those paying attention can hear the faint click of wood against wood, shortly followed by "King me."

---

Grumblejack mutters a thank you to Michael, staring at the places where his bruises have vanished. With important lockpicking going on, the ogre is being quiet so as to not disrupt Krohl's concentration.

While as antiquated as the rest of the locks in the place, Krohl's attempt at being silent means that it's going to take a bit longer to pick the lock.

[roll0] Guard Perception

Von Krieger
2012-11-20, 08:23 PM
Krohl fumbles with the lock, dropping a pick, which clatters on the ground.

PERCEPTION, DC 15
"The blazes was that?" one guard says.

"Probably rats." says the other.

Krohl winces and begins to pick frantically. With a click the lock opens.

PERCEPTION, DC 15
"Pretty sure that rats don't pick the lock on the cellblock door."

Initiative!
16 Grumblejack
09 Guards

[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7][roll8]

Von Krieger
2012-11-23, 09:56 AM
The door opens, revealing a pair of startled guards, who are suddenly facing the entirety of a prison break.

Initiative!
25 Black Tom
15 Matthazar Grim
16 Krohl
16 Grumblejack
13 Arvus
12 Arthurian
11 Ruuk
09 Guards

Remember that you guys can act in any order.

GAME MAP, GREAT HALL 2F
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4424/prisonoots03.jpg

Athaleon
2012-11-23, 10:47 AM
"Only two of them? Better not waste this stuff on that spell," mused Arvus as he swept past the surprised guards in a blur, and moved to cut off one of their escape routes. In his other hand, he conjures a second, illusory dagger that lunges at the guard in the same instant Arvus does.


Move to BW92, use Shadow Blade Technique (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/shadow-blade-technique--3698/) on the nearest guard.

Edit: Now that the attack roll results are in, I'll have to say I won't be using the lower one. So the guard takes 7 damage.

Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]
[roll3] cold damage

Using Child of Shadow (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/child-shadow--3685/) stance, Arvus gains 20% concealment.

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-23, 12:14 PM
Matthazar Grims hands suddenly burn with blood red.... wait, that is bloody mist.

[roll0] Touch AC
1 Damage

And he mutters something rather.... angry in bianary as he stumles, weakened from his stay, and the tourure rack.

Starbin
2012-11-23, 02:09 PM
Krohl cursed under his breath, as the door made a loud click upon opening. The young human rushed ahead, attacking with two (?) blades. Seeing an opportunity, Krohl stepped forward, grunting over his shoulders, "Get the left one."

As he moved forward, he let his adrenaline surge - but not with the wild abandon that got him imprisoned, but a controlled focus that allowed him to maintain focus. With muscles bulging, he launched a mighty elbow at the man in between he and Arvus.

Controlled rage, +4 Str (free action). 5ft step to BU54 (not an action) to flank guard. Attack vs western guard (Standard Action).
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (sneak attack) = 10 total
Note, Krohl has Imp Unarmed Strike, so he counts as armed; doing lethal damage

Von Krieger
2012-11-23, 07:13 PM
Arvus moves skillfully around the left guard, the officer of the law's strike missing Arvus, due to the shadowy aura around him. But her can feel the woosh of the blade's passing. Attacking as a unit the guard is distracted by Arvus' strike, allowing Krohl to deck him right in the face. The guard slumps to the ground, out cold.

[roll0][roll1]

Arthurian
2012-11-23, 07:37 PM
Michael

The devilish looking tiefling darts through the doorway and turns to face the remaining guard. With a grin, Michael takes a moment to send a surge of red energy down one of his arms, then attempts to slam it against the enemy with the full force of his supernatural strength.

OOC
Move: Go to BV 95
Swift Action: Channel Smite
Standard: Slam
Attack- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
If target is good, Will Save DC 16 or take [roll2] dmg and is sickened for [roll3] rounds.

Sickened effect- The character takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Von Krieger
2012-11-23, 07:40 PM
And in an instant both guards are down and out. The convicts are now out of their cellblock and now they have the equipment of the fallen guards at their disposal.

Loot!
2 Chain Shirts
2 Longswords
2 Clubs
2 Heavy Steel Shields
2 Longbows
40 Arrows
2 Footlocker Keys (6 and 7)

XP AWARDS
400 XP Highlander: the Unshackling
600 XP The Great Escape, Part I
600 XP Meet the Heavy: Grumblejack
400 XP Assault on Guardroom 17

Krohl, 10 XP for being the designated victim of the infodump.
[roll0]

Arthurian
2012-11-23, 08:02 PM
Michael

"They were well equipped, weren't they?" Michael chuckles as he looks at the small pile of items they had gathered up. "Everyone grab what you need and try not to take more. It'd be best if we don't fight amongst ourselves."

The devilish tiefling reaches into the pile and takes one of the clubs, then walks over to Grumblejack and offers the large ogre the weapon. "I know it's not the most graceful of weapons, but it will have to do for now. The rest of our escape will probably be a lot more difficult then this was and it'd be best if you were armed for it."

Sjurd
2012-11-24, 04:03 PM
Tom's mouth curls on one side into a lop-sided smirk. "I like this group." He bends down to get close to the guards, sniffing the air through his nose slits. He stands back up and shrugs. "I require nothing they have." He moves forward quietly toward fireplace, noting that the chimney leads to the levels both above and below. He peeks his head in carefully, taking a look at what he can see.

Sjurd
2012-11-24, 04:11 PM
Perception check on fireplace and chimney [roll0]

Von Krieger
2012-11-24, 04:41 PM
It's a chimney, it's made of rock. It's actually pretty roomy. It would be relatively easy to climb up or down. Though it would be a bit risky going down since there is a nice big cooking fire in the fireplace one level below. It'd require an Acrobatics check to avoid getting your bottom burned. Up and out is a no go, due to some sort of grate put in place near the top to keep critters from coming down the chimney.

Athaleon
2012-11-24, 07:16 PM
Arvus quickly considered putting on a chain shirt, but decided against it — Even thick clothing made it difficult to pull off the 'just-so' movements required to cast spells, and mail had a way of getting much heavier a minute after you put it on. Likewise, the guards' broad-bladed longswords enjoyed a reach and power advantage over his dagger, but were too heavy for Arvus to fight in his preferred style. And he'd never done much more than toy with bow and arrow... Better stay light. High speed, as they say, and low drag.

"I don't suppose anyone was not hooded while dragged down here? Maybe one of the turnkeys can give us directions."

Sjurd
2012-11-25, 12:49 AM
Tom lies down on the tiled floor and hangs his head over the lip of the hearthstones, straining to hear anything coming from down below.

Perception check to hear anything from down the chimney [roll0]

Starbin
2012-11-25, 02:40 AM
The battle was over before it began. Taking a deep cleansing breath, Krohl felt the brief fatigue that always accompanied an adrenaline rush. Leaning down to one of the guards, he wondered if a bit of interrogation was in order. However, he was uncertain what was on the other side of the door, and the fireplace seemed to provide unfettered access to a room below; one scream and it was all over for the would-be escapees.

After the young human spoke, Krohl thought for a moment, then picked up one of the guards and carried him to the meeting room. Dropping him on the table, he motioned for Grumblejack to follow. "Let's see what he knows. Press on his chest, so he can't draw a full breath. I'll ask questions ... unless someone else wants to?"

Before the session began, Krohl remembered the veil, pulling out Tiadora's gift. Glancing at the comatose guards and the fireplace, he pulled free the patch for the rope. As an afterthought, he pulled open the patch for the vial. Perhaps it would be a potion to make the men complacent, as Tiadora had made Fat Black.

Once he has a chance, Krohl will take a chain shirt and longsword, figuring that the loss in stealth might well be worth the gain in protection and weaponry.

meemaas
2012-11-26, 07:25 PM
Ruuk

He steps outside the door, allowing the others some time to interrogate, and keeps on watch for any incoming guards.

Grimsage Matt
2012-11-26, 07:33 PM
"If I could borrow a dagger and their shirts?"

Von Krieger
2012-11-26, 09:50 PM
Tom can hear somewhat offkey humming as a servant below goes about the work of cooking and tidying up the kitchen, and then a bit of conversation.

"Gregor, do you think we'll need more firewood tonight?" says a young woman.

"We might. It depends on if Blackerly's lot stay in the gatehouse all night or no. I think we'll be okay for tonight. If not, I can always go out and cut some."

---

The talented Mr. Grim has managed to stabilize both guards, and arrange it so once they regain consciousness they won't be making much noise.

---

I could've sworn we already plucked off the potion patch? I think somewhat made a Spellcraft check to see what it was, which I remember failing.

Sjurd
2012-11-26, 10:54 PM
ooc: I made a Spellcraft check to identify the potion and failed spectacularly.

Tom rises from the tiled floor and dusts himself. He whispers in his alien rasp. "Blackerly is in the gatehouse at nights. Some servants are in the room below us. Fire may not scare some of us, but I doubt we could silence them before they raised the alarm." He nods to Grim and palms a dagger toward him. "Here. Be certain to pick out a few choice cuts for when we are finished questioning them."

Starbin
2012-11-27, 11:18 AM
Nodding to the faceless one, Krohl stepped into the room with Grumblejack and the surgeon and closed the door. Walking to the first guard, he leaned close to the man's ear.

"Things are gonna get ugly fast. We've got nothing to lose and killing you won't change a death sentance. Remember those love taps you a$$holes liked to give me? I suggest you talk, because the alternative is ..." He glanced over at the ogre, then to the young man with the knife staring unnervingly at the two guards.

" ... well, best not to think about that. Answer the questions and your chances of survival will be greater than zero."

Krohl then proceeded to ask the following quesitons
- When is shift change?
- What's the layout of the prison?
- What's the quickest way out?
- Are there any alarms?
- What time of day is it?
... and anything else any of the others think of.

Taking 10 on intimidate (total 22) should be MORE than enough for these two clowns ... let me know if I actually need to roll

Arthurian
2012-11-29, 04:35 PM
Michael will slither over to stand behind Krohl, his smoldering, glowing eyes locked onto the guards when they awaken. He flicks his tail, one that was, perhaps stereotypically pointed, behind him and grins at the two, showing pointed teeth. "Do be so kind as to not answer. I'm eager to find out what I'll be able to do to you lot."

For a brief moment, after he speaks, Michael raises one of his arms to show the dangerous, long claws at the end of one hand. With barely any effort at all he lets the light of his dark energy go up. It's appearance, to those of who were good natured, was a sickening dark red the color of blood mixed with a fiery, smoldering orange the color of fire. One of them had even recently had such energy channeled through them upon contact with the devil like tiefling.

OOC
[roll0] Intimidate, Aid another to help Krohl out a little.

Edit: Well damn. Unless I got a circumstance bonus for simply being badass, maybe I can take ten on that aid another skill for a total of 15 to aid Krohl?

Athaleon
2012-12-01, 12:11 PM
"I shouldn't have to tell you we mean business." Arvus added in a tone of soft venom, all the while brandishing his dagger. "Imagine what else the good physician can do with a knife, if he has a mind to. You'd wish we had simply killed you."


Another Aid Another for the Intimidate roll.

[roll0]

Von Krieger
2012-12-01, 11:34 PM
Krohl is scary enough on his own, but with several others looming over the captive guard, he is downright terrifying. The young guard quickly spills the beans regarding everything Krohl asks for.

-Shift change for the prison block is in around three hours.

-Unless you want to try jumping into the ocean (and it's a bit rocky in most of the area around the prison) the only way out is through the gatehouse, and then the front gate.

-Each pair of guards has a signal horn to blow in case of emergencies. There's one pair in the main hallway downstairs, another pair on the walls, two guards at the front gate, and two on the gatehouse roof.

-It's late evening, around nine PM.

-There is a password to get out of the front gate, but the guard can't remember it, he did write it in his journal, however, which is in the barracks.

Sjurd
2012-12-04, 11:30 AM
"Do we want to leave quickly or slowly? We can leave straight way, or search every room. Safety, or fun and profit."

Athaleon
2012-12-04, 06:24 PM
"I suspect there's much more fun and profit to be found on the outside of these walls." Arvus casts a contemptuous leer at the guard currently being questioned. "Where is the barracks from here, and how many guards will be present?"

Von Krieger
2012-12-05, 08:26 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img211/2703/1prisonmap.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/211/1prisonmap.jpg/)

Forgot to hand out the game map. >.<

You guys get the general layout from the guard. You guys are in the vicinity of 17 and 20. The barracks is room 9. Most of the guards will be on duty, with a maximum of four being off duty and in the barracks. 8 is the main hallway the guard was talking about.

Starbin
2012-12-05, 07:05 PM
Krohl growled to the others. "I'm not sticking around longer than necessary. If Fat Black is on our way out, I'll gut him, but otherwise escape first ... you can have fun once we're free."

Glancing back at the guards, he stood up and motioned for the others to follow. Noticing the way the bright-eyed young man was eyeing the two guards, Krohl leaned towards Grumblejack and Grim, whispering, "Lock up when you're done."

Once outside the room, he closed the door and looked at the others. "Let's get the password and get the hell out of here."

Athaleon
2012-12-07, 04:09 PM
"Agreed... Are they going to be spending all night in there, or what?" Arvus grumbles as he palms his dagger nervously, obviously anxious to get moving.

Von Krieger
2012-12-08, 03:20 PM
A few thuds and a couple faint cracks can be heard through the door as Grumblejack takes his frustrations out on the two guards. A few minutes later, he and Grim emerge from the room, with the ogre staying as far away as possible from the mad doctor.

---

The stairway heads down into a simple room with a few bits of old furniture piled up alongside the stairs, with a doorway leading out into the main hallway, which from the intel gathered from the guard is known to have two on-duty guards.

Opening the door a crack and peering out into the hallway, one can see the two stationed guards pacing slowly up and down the hallway.


http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4500/prisonoots04.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/prisonoots04.png/)

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-08, 03:35 PM
Smiling with contentment, after all, he now has some fresh meterials to work with, he looks towards the ogre. "All I took was there arms and legs, and it was done in a perfectly surgical manner. Besides, from just a little flesh, blood and bone, wonders can be made!"

Currently using one of the guards shirts as a crude sack, you can see the occasional drop of blood filter down.

Athaleon
2012-12-10, 05:08 PM
Arvus' blood was up now, and the normally horrific sight of a mad doctor carrying a bag of bloody limbs, curiously, no longer fazed him. He'd have laughed, if not for the need to remain silent.

"Let them get closer..." Arvus breathes as he edges towards the door. "Rush them the moment they reach this end and turn around."

Starbin
2012-12-10, 05:23 PM
Krohl nodded, glancing around the group. "Anyone got magic to make this easier? One shout could end this ride ..."

meemaas
2012-12-10, 06:53 PM
Ruuk

"I possess no magic capable of silencing others. My magic focuses on protecting my allies and killing my enemies."

Starbin
2012-12-10, 06:56 PM
Krohl nodded to the orc. "Good to know ..."

Von Krieger
2012-12-12, 03:42 PM
"So unless little demon-man has pockets filled with quiet magics," Grumblejack says with a chuckle, "We will be having to bust heads old fashioned way, yes?"

Athaleon
2012-12-12, 03:57 PM
"I have a spell that can disable them," Arvus adds, "but it's a one-time thing. I can use it on this pair, but then it's used up. Might as well go for it, if we have no other ideas."


If there are no objections, Arvus will wait until the guards have reached his end of the hallway, and turned around to go back. At that point, he will open the door, and as the guards turn around, use Color Spray (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/color-spray) on both of them (Will DC 14).

Just to keep it moving along :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2012-12-12, 04:11 PM
Krohl raised a hand and shook his head. "No, save it. We might run into a bigger group. If six hardened criminals and an ogre can't take out two guards, we deserve our fate."

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-13, 11:16 AM
"Let us proceed then." Slinging the sack of bodyparts over his left shoulder, he cheerfuly heads towards them.

Starbin
2012-12-13, 12:04 PM
Gripping his sword, Krohl waited for the approaching guards, ready to strike as soon as they were within striking distance (but hopefully when their backs were turned).

"We f*&k this up and it's the gallows ... one shot, make it count ..."

Von Krieger
2012-12-13, 08:49 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img20/8712/prisonoots05.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/prisonoots05.png/)


And with a sudden opening of the door, a tide of criminals swoops down upon the patrolling guards.

Initiative! Surprise Round!
22 Arvus
20 Ruuk
18 Michael
12 Grim
09 Guards (next round)
07 Black Tom
05 Grumblejack
04 Krohl

Athaleon
2012-12-13, 09:34 PM
Arvus was the first one out the door, rushing the guard on the right before he could react. He made certain to move around them, to put himself between the guards and the door before they could attempt to flee.


Surprise round, charge to DI 42 and attack.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Posting his actions for the next turn, just in case.

Move action to DG 43 (or if we kill that guard before the next round, to DG 40)
Using Shadow Blade Technique:

Attack: [roll2] +6 if flanking
Attack: [roll3]

Damage: [roll4]
Cold Damage, if applicable: [roll5]

Child of Shadow: Arvus has 20% concealment.

meemaas
2012-12-13, 09:48 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk slid so he had a better view, and then drew the spirits upon himself, a lance of their energy launching towards the nearest guard.

Well, after three ideas, this is what i'm going with.

Sickening Blast, targetting DH 43 [roll0] (-4 penalty already included for shooting into melee)
Damage [roll1] DC 12 fort save or be sickened.

Starbin
2012-12-13, 10:28 PM
Krohl felt that familiar surge of adrenaline that he had learned to love. The rush of power without the loss of control ... a loss that was probably the reason he was in this prison. Leaping forward, he ran through the door, turning to engage the other guard, trying to cut off any escape routes.

Hopefully it doesn't matter how we post in the surprise round.
Move to DH41 (no AOOs by the guards unless they have Combat Reflexes)
Free action - enter controlled rage (+4 Str)
Attack w/long sword (two-handed): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] plus sneak attack [roll2]

I'll wait for next round ... since Krohl's so slow!

HPs: 15/15
AC: 17 (Chain Shirt)
Melee: +8 (Long sword)
Rages: 5/7

Von Krieger
2012-12-14, 10:54 AM
Krohl's terrible blow fells the guard.

Von Krieger
2012-12-16, 11:38 PM
Since the rest of the group doesn't seem particularly keen on getting any licks in, Grumblejack steps up and swings for the bleachers, putting a bit more hurt on the guard. He's wobbly, but he still hasn't gone down. One more blow ought to do it.



[roll0] To Hit
[roll1] Damage

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-17, 08:50 AM
With a sack full of body parts, Matt walks up to the guard Grumblejack just hit. As he has nothing else on hand, he swings the sack.

[roll0] (Improvised weapon, unless you rule that a sack of limbs is a simple weapon)
[roll1]

And it connects with the guard. The guard can see it, the driping red of blood, a hand and a foot sticking out, right in his face.

Von Krieger
2012-12-18, 07:05 PM
While Tom and Michael seem a bit hesitant to enter the fight, Arvus steps up and with his shadowy blade fells the other guard.

Looking over the fallen guards, they seem to be outfitted with the same gear that the other two guards had, seems to be standard issue.

A quick look throughout the main hallway finds that the heavy double door in the north leads outside, the northernmost door on the west wall is locked, while the other two doors are unlocked.

Room 14 appears to be the office of Sergeant Blackerly and features a desk covered with paperwork. To the north is the prison's storeroom and to the west is Blackerly's personal quarters.

A peek into room 10 reveals it to be the mess hall, and there doesn't seem to be anyone in attendance. From the positioning of the fireplace on the floor above that places the kitchen to the south of room 10, and from the captive guard's spilled information, you know the guards' barracks is to the north of the mess hall.

Room 12 is the armory, and unlike the rest of the locks seen thus far, it is actually held shut with a halfway decent lock. DC 25 to pick the lock.

Loot!
2 Chain Shirts
2 Longswords
2 Clubs
2 Heavy Steel Shields
2 Longbows
40 Arrows
2 Footlocker Keys (1 and 13)

XP AWARDS
400 XP Felling the Great Hall Guards

NOTE TO SELF
Keys 1, 6, 7, and 13 have been found thus far.

Athaleon
2012-12-18, 09:17 PM
Arvus briskly goes about dragging a slain guard into the door they had just emerged from. "Feel free to help at any time", he grumbled as he used a minor spell to clean up the blood. "See if we can get into that armory before we try storming the barracks."

meemaas
2012-12-26, 10:21 AM
Ruuk

"Can anyone pick the lock, or should we just beat it down with brute force?"

Starbin
2012-12-26, 03:43 PM
Krohl grunted in response, grabbing one of the bodies and putting it underneath the stairs in the room they just left. Looking down the hall, he nodded towards the north. "Three things ... Fat Black's rooms are that way. Maybe we could talk prisoner treament. Barracks are that way ... probably four guards and we need the password. Third, I can get into the armory, but it'll take time.

Shift change's in 3 hrs ... split up between the armory and Fat Black's room, or go as a group?"

OOC Thoughts - I think we're balancing speed of escape with grabbing some goodies on the way out. Blackerly's office might have some goodies in it, so that could very well be worth it (especially if he's there) ... but not necessary.

The armory is probably worth a look, but hopefully someone with a detect magic orison/cantrip will be able to warn us about any magic wards/alarm spells - pretty pointless if we pick the lock and set off a screeching alarm.

The barracks I think is pretty important, since there's a password in one of the footlockers ... but it's also the spot we're probably guaranteed to run into tough resistance (maybe four guards, according to our interrogation). When we go that way, recommend we clean out the kitchen first, just in case there's a cook or guards in there sneaking snacks.

The smart money is on moving as a group, but it takes time and increase the chances that someone else will run into us. The higher risk, higher reward (hopefully) option is to divide and conquer ... but I think we should only do that with the left/west side of the prison. The barracks should be done as a group.

Whaddy'all think?

Athaleon
2012-12-28, 05:56 PM
Arvus finishes hiding the bodies, not bothering to conceal his annoyance. "I'd love a shot at Blackerly, but unless he may have pinched something important from one of us, let's check out the armory first."

Squinting at the armory door, he continues "Locksmithing's not my trade, but a magical ward should be detectable, if their mages are as sloppy as everyone else in here. Not that I'm complaining."


Using Detect Magic to check out the Armory door.

Starbin
2013-01-05, 03:42 AM
Krohl nodded, pointing towards the doors. "Mess hall, front doors and Fat Black's room. I'll get this." Krohl looked at Grumblejack, Ruuk, and Michael to guard. Whether he didn't trust the eye-less man and the strange boy with the bag of body parts, or just randomly picked three of the others, none could tell.

Assuming that Arvus didn't alert him to any magic, the half-orc moved to the armory door and began to work on the lock.

Sorry so short ... just getting back to the swing of things. Looks like we'll go with a plan instead of waiting longer. Taking 20 on the door (gives a 28 result, should take 2 minutes or so). Perception check for anything silly - [roll0]

Von Krieger
2013-01-09, 10:05 PM
With a few minutes of concentration, Krohl manages to open the lock to the armory, which holds several sets of gear identical to those that have been plucked from the fallen guards. Like them they are all marked with the symbols of Talingarde's military, and thus would be rather difficult to sell.

Standard Issue Prison Gear
6 Chain Shirts
6 Heavy Steel Shields
6 Longswords
6 Longbows
6 Clubs
240 Arrows


Also present are a number of items confiscated over the years. They have not been well cared for and for the most part are just tossed into one of several bins. They are not, however, marked as property of the military.

Mundane Gear
Heavy Mace
Spear
Quarterstaff
Battle Axe
Rapier
Greatsword
Trident
Glaive
Dagger (shiv made from a woman's metal comb)

Those searching through the southern rooms find Blackerly's office and bedroom, and yet another locked door. A brief examination reveals some papers on his desk and nothing worth taking. Some more thorough examination might discover something worthwhile, however.

Starbin
2013-01-10, 10:20 AM
With a satisfying quiet click, Krohl pushed the door to the armory open. Glancing around, he nodded to the rest of his companions. "Best get what you want. I'll take this ..." as he reached for the greatsword, strapping it across his back. He also grabbed a longbow and quiver of arrows, just in case.

Once armed, and after the others grabbed whatever they wanted, Krohl motioned towards the door. "Let's see what Fat Black's got in his room ..."

Headed over to search the Sarge's room ... if we haven't taken care of it, we'll pick the lock there, too. Here's a perception check ([roll0]) and a lockpick check ([roll1]).

EDIT: Uh ... a 2 and 1, eh? I need to take 20 more often! Let's assume we do that on the lockpick, as necessary!

Making a basic assumption that whatever magic dudes we have, they will regularly detect magic (like on the weapons in the armory, the locked doors, in Blackerly's room, etc).

Athaleon
2013-01-10, 10:47 AM
"Good work with the door." Arvus nodded, as he availed himself of a longbow and a quiver of arrows, but passed up the other weapons.

"Fat Black must be at the gatehouse after all. I think it might be worth a quick look around here."


Taking a more thorough check of Blackerly's quarters:

Perception: [roll0]

meemaas
2013-01-10, 10:10 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk takes his time checking every nook and cranny for anything of interest.

Taking 20 on my perception check, because frankly, i ain't finding anything any other way. I get an 18.

Von Krieger
2013-01-10, 11:29 PM
The doorway leads into what is apparently the prison storeroom. A cursory inspection shows that it is in meager condition. There are a great many unlit torches, some lanterns, two 10 gallon kegs of lantern oil, 20 fifty foot lengths of rope, and two barrels labelled "emergency rations."

There emergency rations barrels are somewhat damp, and peering inside one shows that this has been the case for quite some time. The smell of mold and the sight of maggots await anyone who peers into the barrel.

Also present on a special rack are several brands with the runic F symbol that each prisoner bears on their forearm, the searing wounds not yet healed.

A search of the sergeant's quarters reveals a rather hefty lockbox under the bed (DC 30 to open). From the sound of it there is a great deal of coinage inside, and also the sound of glass bottles clinking against one another.

The room mostly houses Blackerly's personal effects, which are essentially worthless. In his wardrobe, however, is a flask of whiskey and a small bag of herbs. The whiskey smells strongly of the herbs.

The box would be hard to haul out, but likely one could use some of the rope to rig up a carrying harness for the ogre to carry out.

Athaleon
2013-01-11, 11:43 AM
Arvus quickly scans the storeroom. He passes up the lantern and torches (he had spells for that), and curses softly as he recoils at the spoiled rations. Those would have come in handy; they would probably be roughing it for a while after escaping, and wilderness survival was one of the last things Arvus ever expected he'd need to know. That rope could certainly come in handy, though, and he hauls a coil up to their friendly ogre.

Then, a different thought occurred to him, and he voiced it to his companions. "Think we ought to grab that lamp oil, and use it to start a fire? Maybe cause a distraction to draw the guards away from the gate, or lay it across the bridge to cover our escape?"

Starbin
2013-01-11, 12:30 PM
Krohl nodded thoughtfully at the idea of a fire. "As long as it doesn't bring people from town ..." Glancing around, he nodded towards the other rooms. "How about this - start a fire, let the guards come, lock them in? But first, check out this box, and the barracks."

DC 30 to open w/strength or lockpicking? I figure Grumblejack could bust it open, or Krohl can pick it (taking 20 with no armor). Krohl would like to check out the footlockers, which requires going to the barracks and dealing with (killing) the guards there. Who's up for some mayhem?

Von Krieger
2013-01-11, 07:58 PM
It's a DC 30 lock, and it's a metal box, so Grumblejack can't bust it open, unfortunately.

Starbin
2013-01-11, 11:28 PM
Glancing at the others, Krohl nodded to the chest. "I could probably open it, but it'll take a few minutes. Want to wait, or keep moving out?"

If the decision is to wait, Krohl will strip his chain shirt and work on the chest (he can get a 30 taking 20). If they want to move on, we'll rig something with the rope and Grumblejack.

Athaleon
2013-01-14, 01:02 PM
"Fat Black's life savings aren't immediately useful to us... Let's rig up a harness for the ogre to carry it, and move on."

Starbin
2013-01-14, 03:14 PM
Krohl nodded. "We'll set it up. But let's clear out the barracks first. I don't want soldiers squeezing us between the gates."

Krohl gathers his gear and readies himself to take out the remaining soldiers ... time to head towards the barracks.

Stealth into the next room (mess hall?): [roll0]; Perception check: [roll1]

Von Krieger
2013-01-16, 03:57 AM
Grumblejack helps himself to a battleaxe from the armory, "Yes, I like this new weapon." he says with a chuckle.

The mess hall is still deserted, and not a soul seems to be aware that the prisoners are now loose. Cracking the door slightly to peer into the barracks, one can see a trio of off-duty (and unarmored) guards, though their weapons are within reach.

They are unsuspecting, the time to strike is now. As the guards once again roll horribly, everyone can post their actions for both rounds at the same time.

Guard AC is only an 11, as they lack armor and shields.



http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/560/prisonoots06.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/prisonoots06.png/)



Surprise Round! Round 1!
22 Arvus
20 Krohl
18 Ruuk
16 Grumblejack
13 Grim
11 Guards (do not act until round 1)

Rolling initiatives in Maptool so I can just press a series of buttons
Initiative Arvus, d20+6 = 16 + 6 = 22
Initiative Grim, d20+1 = 12 + 1 = 13
Initiative Grumblejack, d20-1 = 17 - 1 = 16
Initiative Krohl, d20+3 = 17 + 3 = 20
Initiative Ruuk, d20+2 = 16 + 2 = 18
Initiative Guards, d20+1 = 10 + 1 = 11

Starbin
2013-01-16, 06:32 PM
Krohl grunted to the others, "I'll take the right, you guys go left! Rushing forward with his new huge blade, Krohl grinned evily in the room's lighting, bring the greatsword down in a sweeping blow upon the surprised guard ...

Charging to CW-50 to attack guard in CV-50.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak attack: [roll2]

Next Turn: Krohl will attack guard again, unless he's dead; if so, Krohl will move to attack the guard in CV-45.
Attack (No charge): [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Sneak attack: [roll5]

meemaas
2013-01-16, 07:35 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk raises his hand, drawing the energy of the spirits surrounding him to launch a lance made out of the spirits at the same guard Krohl just charged. He then turns and circles into the room, the remaining spirits around him converging on his hand to create his unique set of claws, he'd lunge the claw into that guard in turn.

Since we are only allowed a standard action in a surprise round, Ruuk will fire a Sickening blast at the guard in cv50

Ranged touch [roll0] (added in penalty for not having precise shot)
Damage [roll1]
DC 12 Fort save or be sickened.

First round, take a move action to CX46, form a claw as a free action, and attack him, layering on sickening blast to my claw.
Melee attack roll [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Eldritch blast [roll4]
DC 12 Fort save or be sickened.

Athaleon
2013-01-17, 01:23 PM
Arvus

As his companions ahead of him piled into the barracks and began their bloody work, Arvus had to content himself this time with going in third.


Surprise Round: Move to CX49
Round 1: Charge to CW46

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Effects: AC13, 20% concealment

Von Krieger
2013-01-21, 06:06 AM
In a few moments the villains rush into the barracks. Krohl's charge downs the first guard, with Arvus and Ruuk weakening the other two, scarcely before they even are aware they are under attack. Grumblejack, swinging his purloined axe, fells Ruuk's target. The final blow is dealt to the third guard by Krohl, who joins the others in unconsciousness.

XP Award: 600 XP for defeat of the three guards, result of 150 XP per player.

After a few moments after the battle all seem to wait for signs that they have been heard. But as before the combat seems to draw no attention, likely due to the thickness of the stone walls of the prison.

All the guards' assigned gear is present, the same stuff that's listed in Post 1 of the OOC, if anyone wants any of it.

In addition there are 13 footlockers present which may contain further goodies. Each locker is numbered, each corresponding to a key held by the respective owner. 1, 6, 7, and 13 are currently in the possession of the party. 10, 11, and 12 can be found on the three guards present in the barracks. The locks are simplistic, able to be opened with a DC 20 Disable Device check. A +2 familiarity bonus can be applied once the first is picked.

There is little of value, most seem to be acting as laundry hampers, though a few contain fresh changes of clothing and a few other goodies.

Locker 1
Peasant's Clothes

Locker 6
A map of the nearby town, includes the location of Old Moor Road, where you are to meet up with your mysterious benefactor.

Locker 7
Ink and Quill
Journal, lists the week's password as Hesterfield, the Warden's home town. Also details Blackerly's poker game tonight, and the guard's hope that he will win some money back.

Locker 10
An astonishingly well-written love letter to someone named "Michelle" asking for her hand in marriage, and a sapphire engagement ring worth 100 GP.

Locker 11
Letters from a soldier with a bit of homesickness, worthless.

Locker 12
Bottle of fine whiskey, worth 25 GP.

Locker 13
Masterwork Lute, worth 100 GP.
LOCKED FOOTLOCKER CONTENTS
Locker 2
Bottle of rot gut whiskey, worth 5 GP

Locker 3
Whetstone
Cleaning supplies for a chain shirt
Book of military regulations

Locker 4
Traveller's outfit
Fine pipe, worth 5 GP
1 lb high quality tobacco, worth 2 GP

Locker 5
Peasant's Clothes
2 decks of cards (one marked)
12 GP worth of mixed coinage

Locker 8
6 GP worth of mixed coinage

Locker 9
A bag of doggy treats

Starbin
2013-01-22, 11:18 AM
As the others loot through the chests, Krohl pulls out his lockpicks and works on the chests. He growls to himself as the first few attempts he can't find success. Once he figures out the first one, however, he quickly opens the rest.

Upon opening the remaining chests, he shakes his head in frustration. "What a waste ..."

Looking over the rest of the items, he checked the journal and memorized the password and grabbed the map. After a few moments thought, he grinned and took the ink and scrawled a few lines in his best imitation of the man's hand.

"Ogre offered 500 gold to free him ... bet that will get Michelle's attention"

Once they were done looting, Krohl nodded towards the main doors. "Time to get out."

I figure Krol will get last dibs on the spoils of murder since he spent time working on the chests. If no one else takes them, he'll take the map, the whetstone, and pocket the ring.

Athaleon
2013-01-23, 02:21 PM
Not a single damned sabre among the whole lot, not that Arvus was surprised. Surveying the contents of the lockers, a book caught his attention. "Book of military regulations, huh." Arvus retrieved the volume and opened it to look for a table of contents. "Not that the staff does much of anything by the book. Still, we might gain some insight..." Arvus trails off as he lays the book down to inspect the fresh clothes in Locker #4. If they were going to be slogging through the moor, he might as well secure himself a good jacket and a good set of boots.


While Krohl works at the locks, Arvus will look for some sturdier traveling clothes, if he can find some that fit. He'll also thumb through the playbook, until it's time to get going (he'll take it with him).

Starbin
2013-01-23, 04:52 PM
OOC - I think we found clothes in the sack from the veil ... not sure if that matters for ya, but I figured we all had normal clothes on.

Athaleon
2013-01-26, 02:13 PM
Forgot about that, I have changed my post slightly. Oh well, more time to skim the regulations book.

Starbin
2013-01-28, 10:23 AM
With the room looted, Krohl put away his lockpicks and moved towards the main doors, listening carefully as the others gathered behind him.

Perception - taking 20 (total 25) ... listening and peeking outside if possible.

meemaas
2013-01-29, 09:11 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk kept close behind Krohl, not so much to help him scout, as to be sure that if something happened, he'd be ready to spring into action.

Von Krieger
2013-02-08, 09:46 PM
http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/19/prisonoots07.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/prisonoots07.png/)


Peering out the door, Krohl sees no guards in the immediate vicinity. He can, however, see the fountain, the gatehouse, and a small wooden outbuilding attached to the gatehouse, likely the kennels where the prison guard dogs are kept.

Starbin
2013-02-08, 10:08 PM
"Nuthin' there but the gatehouse and some kennels. I think we should secure a way out ... Leave the dogs alone."

Glancing back at Grumblejack and his makeshift harness, he nodded to the gatehouse. "Maybe you should wit 'til we're across, so they don't here or see you."

Athaleon
2013-02-09, 12:34 AM
Peering through the gloom, Arvus focuses on the kennels. "Let's try to slip past the dogs, take out the guards in the gatehouse, and then the... less stealthy of us can follow on."

meemaas
2013-02-23, 08:48 PM
Ruuk

"Why not kill the dogs first? Fast and quick, before they wake up?"

Athaleon
2013-02-25, 05:37 PM
"If you think we can do it. Hell, why not? We were planning to kill the remaining guards anyways, right?" Arvus asks with a wolfish grin. "I didn't much like our odds of sneaking past a kennel full of guard dogs- even sleeping ones- anyways."

Starbin
2013-02-25, 07:28 PM
Krohl shrugged. "So be it ... let us begin." The half-orc grabbed a longbow and arrows, then began his stealthy approach to the gatehouse, hoping to end this as quickly as possible.

Sneaky, sneaky, using cover as much as possible. We'll leave Grumblejack behind for now ... he can always charge across if we're discovered. I don't remember if it's light or dark, but we'll use whatever shadows there are to try and get to the dogs ... unless someone wants to check the kitchen for meat to 'bribe' the dogs?

meemaas
2013-02-26, 10:42 PM
Ruuk

Ruuk nods, and keeps himself quiet as he follows after the others. He is significantly less sneaky than they are, and so keeps his distance in comparison.

Von Krieger
2013-02-28, 08:47 PM
Stealth rolls, then, if you please gentlemen.

Von Krieger
2013-04-29, 08:25 PM
Just about from the moment the escaped prisoners step outside, the guard dogs in the kennel begin barking.

DC 15 Perception
Someone shouts from in the gatehouse, "I fed you already, shut up!"

[roll0] Guard Dog Perception

Starbin
2013-05-02, 10:24 AM
"F**k ... time to move!" Rushing forward with his bow, Krohl searched for signs of movement from the towers while he checked for any visible animals. Maybe he would be able to take out one of the guards when they came out to investigate ... or maybe the whole place would suddenly turn to full alert.

Not sure what else to do right now, so move forward while looking for a target ... I think I can make it to the doors ... think I'll go to the left side (away from the kennels, right?). Perception check: [roll0]

meemaas
2013-05-06, 02:57 PM
Oops, stupid attention span the size of a....Hey a penny!!!

Ruuk

Ruuk follows behind Krohl, the spirits coalesced into the claws he was now proud of, as though he were expecting battle.