PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Far-Reaching One

Rizban
2012-11-13, 09:00 PM
This thread is for Togath and GM(s) only. Please do not read it.

You find that the door to your room has neither lock nor handle. Instead, there is only a crystal set into the center of the door...

Togath
2012-11-13, 09:13 PM
Tormund knocks on the crystal with his knuckle to see if anything happens.
what a fascinating device, as least if I'm understanding how it works...

Rizban
2012-11-13, 11:58 PM
It makes a sound as if you tapped a crystal with your knuckle.

Togath
2012-11-14, 12:51 AM
well darn...maybe it needs a command...
"Open, door!", "Door, open!", "Open say I?"
if none of those work, Tormund heads back down to go ask the bartender

Rizban
2012-11-14, 02:38 AM
The bartender looks at you when you head back downstairs.

"Problem?"

Togath
2012-11-14, 02:52 AM
"How do I open my room's door? I've tried knocking and ordering it to open, and can't find a handle anywhere."

Rizban
2012-11-14, 05:15 AM
He has a very condescending tone in his voice, speaking to you as if you are a child.

"Did you try putting your hand on the crystal up there like you did down here? You just have to touch it with your palm."

Togath
2012-11-14, 06:10 AM
"I, I'll go do that, sorry for the trouble"
and there I go, over thinking this sort of thing yet again..... Tormund thinks to himself as he heads back up and enters his inn room.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 06:17 AM
It opens onto a 10 x 15 room. There is a bed, a chest of drawers, and a large wooden chest that doubles as a nightstand. There's a rug on the floor and a single small window that lets in light.

http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AVB/SadFlint/SingleBedroom.png

Togath
2012-11-14, 07:16 AM
Tormund put his greatsword under the bed(since it seems unlikely the chest is large enough to hold a man sized sword, fishes out a piece of chalk and puts it on the nightstand/drawers(so he can resummon a vestige in the morning) and packs his cooking supplies, backpack, rolling pin and knives into the chest. He then lays down on the bed and tries to get some sleep.

If nothing wakes him up he marks Andromalius’ symbol on the floor and binds him, since his abilities may prove useful in finding someone who knows about local myths and legends, while avoiding being tricked.
Binding check:[roll0] VS. dc 20(just made the DC, though Andromalius' influence is pretty close to Tormund's mindset already)
Regardless of the binding result he shows Andromalius’ sign(and extra finger on each hand), since he is proud of his skill at binding.

Afterwards, if everything has gone well he heads down to the tavern to pay the bartender for another day’s stay, and check around the bar area to see if he can find anyone who looks like a bard(flamboyant clothing, playing an instrument, telling stories, those sorts of things)

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:29 AM
Upon opening the chest, he finds that it's an extradimensional space. Anything you have will fit inside. It, however, refuses to close if a living creature is inside. Experimentation shows that it functions much like a handy haversack, but with much greater capacity. It is sovereign glued to the floor.

The binding goes as expected.

There appears to be no bards or other entertainment this early in the morning. It seems as though the Sad Flint follows the proverb, "A loud blessing early in the morning will be taken as a curse." The common room seems otherwise unchanged from the previous night. Oh, sure, the people are different, but the crowd itself seems to ever present and ever diverse... with a distinct lack of practicing bards.

Togath
2012-11-14, 08:01 AM
Tormund heads over to the bartender ands asks "What would be a good place to look for someone who might know about local myths? I had hoped to find a bard here, but it looks like I'll need to head out and search around for someone."

Rizban
2012-11-14, 08:44 AM
"Dunno. I'm a barkeep, not a lorekeep."

Togath
2012-11-14, 11:57 PM
"No problem" "here's today’s pay for the inn room then" Tormund says as he hands over five coins.
If nothing interrupts him, Tormund will head out, and start asking around about any large mage’s guilds in town, since that seems like a good first place to check.
Gather information: [roll0]
ooc:
tormund is carrying only his greatsword/chef's knife and a dagger/norml sized knife with him, leaving his cooking supplies, rolling pins and the rest of his knives in the chest in his room

Rizban
2012-11-15, 01:35 AM
It takes [roll0] hours.

You learn that there are several mage guilds, but no one you ask knows anything about them. You wonder is maybe the Mages' Quarter might have more answers.

Togath
2012-11-15, 01:54 AM
at least this wasn't a complete waste, off to the mage's quarter then
Tormund heads to the mage's quarter, and looks around for anyone renown as being knowledgeable about local myths or the history of Aldhaven.
Gather information: [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-15, 02:20 AM
You, unfortunately, find only a single bard. Fortunately, he claims to know everything there is to know about the history of Aldhaven.

It took you [roll0] hours to find him. It is now evening, and the sun is near setting.

Togath
2012-11-15, 03:21 AM
"have you heard any tales of ancient caves under Aldhaven?, Or a mystical pomegranate tree that only bears fruit in total darkness?"

Rizban
2012-11-15, 03:45 PM
"Oh, yeah! There's like this ancient tunnel system that's leftover from the city that was here thousands of years ago, built and run by devils, of course. Most of the shallow ones are converted into sewers now, but there are miles and miles and miles of tunnels and caves. In fact, I know a great story about some adventurers who traveled the tunnels there in search of magical flora if you care to spare a little gold."

Togath
2012-11-15, 07:14 PM
"alrighty then" says Tormund as he tosses a few(5) gold coins over to the bard.
and if he tries to run off before saying anything...at least I have a sharp sword with me, so with luck he wouldn't get far...
ooc: rolling sense motive just in case: [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-15, 10:33 PM
He takes a lute from his back and begins to strum it as he starts to recite his tale.

"In days or yore and times long past, there were three great men and one great and beautiful woman. These four adventurers heard tell of a powerful magic that could be theirs..."

He continues on for some time, embellishing the story as much, or as little, as he feels five gold merits. The story describes briefly the traps and monsters and vicious love triangle the four had to endure as they traversed the foul dungeons below Aldhaven. It took weeks or maybe months to complete their holy quest, but at long last, they found the fabled fruit. It was then that the Guardian descended upon them, slaying them all. Unfortunately, none survived, and they were never seen again.

Togath
2012-11-15, 10:45 PM
"an interesting tale, and it gives me a good place to start my research from. Do you happen to know of any local archives or libraries that might have more information on the tale?"

Rizban
2012-11-16, 02:53 AM
"You think some dusty archive would have more interesting tales than a bard? You insult me."

Togath
2012-11-17, 02:21 AM
Tormund chuckles at the bard's bravado "archives have more then tales bard, a map is always useful. many thanks for the first lead though, as I hadn't even been sure if it was a tale here as well as back around where I heard it"
blueprints of some areas may be harder to find then others...at least using legal means...I wonder if this town has any mages with a greyer morality?

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:29 PM
The bard, obviously offended, turns and walks away.

Togath
2012-11-18, 01:47 AM
well darn, he's a bit twitchy, even for a bard..
might as well ask around about one last thing before calling it a night..
Tormund makes one more gather information check today, to see if their are any popular sporting events or gladiatorial arenas, or other things of that sort, that could be profitable places to try selling his cooking.
Gather Information: [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-18, 04:46 PM
[roll0] hours later, you find that the only sports are at the university and very small. You also learn that all forms of gladitorial combat are outlawed in Aldhaven.

Togath
2012-11-18, 07:39 PM
Tormund heads back to the inn for the night.
That seems to be a dead end for now, maybe tomorrow I should look around for some one in need of a guard or bounty hunter? that would probably pay well, or at least better then kabob sales

Rizban
2012-11-19, 02:33 AM
The Sad Flint seems unchanged from the last time you were here.

Togath
2012-11-19, 06:15 AM
Tormund heads over to the bar and sits down, trying to start up a conversation with the barkeep;
"Do you know anything about recent events at the castle?, I heard the king is ill, but not much more then that..."ooc: would trying to steal from the castle(or from wealthy townsfolk) to help with his funds alter Tormund's alignment any?[and would it matter any if his alignment changed?] He'd probably go with a stealth approach rather then the "kill them all" approach if that helps any

Rizban
2012-11-19, 06:23 AM
"I'm a barkeep, not a gossipkeep. You going to order or not?"Depends on what you do and how you do it.

Togath
2012-11-19, 07:48 AM
"I'll take a [[whatever's the cheapest]]"
after his drink Tormund heads up once more(repeating his usual process).
if nothing interrupts him in the night, once it's morning he binds Malphas, showing the sign(his mouth, tongue and teeth turn black) as usual.

if everything looks to be about normal, he pays the barkeep for one more room, and heads out with only his knives(since he wants to be more subtle) and makes a gather information check to try to find out who some of the notable wealthy townsfolk/small businesses are(at least ones outside of the market districts and the mage's district).
Gather information:[roll0]
ooc: also, do I need to state that Tormund is usually buying/cooking food while out gathering information throughout the days to feed himself?, I just now realized I wasn’t sure if I had to state that bit or not.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:54 AM
He sets a glass of water down in front of you.

"One copper."

[roll0] hours later, you have learned that the two wealthiest men in the immediate area are merchants with shops right here in the Plaza: Hagan Erbauer of Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos and Ezekiel Jedder of Ezekiel's Supplies. The two shops are directly across the Plaza from one another.

You've also learned the names of some of the wealthier noble families: Rosen, Feierabend, Eichel, Rocholl, and Licorta.

I just kind of assumed you were cooking and eating the food you already had, since you weren't selling it...

Togath
2012-11-19, 09:46 AM
Tormund makes another gather information check((have I been making too many?, I feel a little silly having ym main actions be "gathe rinformation" but learning about what tasks I might face, ahead of time seems useful. Just thought I should ask.)) about the families he heard about, to see if he hears any rumors about any of them being corrupt(since he would rather rob comeone corrupt then someone innocent).
Gtaher information:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-19, 04:13 PM
It's fine. If that's what you want to do.House Rocholl is not only the oldest of the noble houses but also the most decadent and corrupt. It is suspected that the family funds a number of criminal organizations, profiting from theft, extortion, smuggling, illegal gambling, assassination, and trade in slaves, drugs, and evil magic items; however, nothing has ever been conclusively proven, and the family denies all accusations. Many people believe these accusations to be mere slander and hold House Rocholl in fairly high regard due to their frequent charitable activities.

Isolde Rosen, only child of the sick and dying King Alben Rosen, is betrothed to Archduke Wolfram Rocholl, the head of House Rocholl and heir designate, the next in line to the throne in absence of a male heir of House Rosen.

Togath
2012-11-19, 09:03 PM
Well, it's a good a place to start as any...
Tormund heads back to his room at the inn(it has a window, correct?) and summons one of Malphas’ birds, a dove in this case, and sends it to scout the Rocholls’ main house(or keep, or mansion, or whatever it is, if they have one), searching for any open windows he could send the dove through.
Search(not sure if I need one or not for this):[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-19, 11:17 PM
You have trouble finding their manor, as there are no obvious signs on residences, let alone residences in the Nobles' Quarter. You also have no idea which of the estates belongs to the Rocholl family nor what any of the family members or staff look like... All you have is a name, and that name isn't being displayed anywhere that you can see.

Togath
2012-11-19, 11:43 PM
Well, I suppose if I can't start big, might as well start small
Tormund thinks to himself, while trying to locate an open window(using the bird)in the noble's quarter to send the bird in, to search for jewelery or coins left in the open in rooms.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 12:20 AM
You find just such a window in one of the larger estates. A marble bust in the likeness of the woman of the house sits on the vanity. On the bust is an ornate wig with several gems worked into the hair. Also on the bust are a necklace of green gems and earrings with matching green gems.

Togath
2012-11-20, 01:56 AM
Tormund will command the bird to try to grab an earring in it's beak, to check for any protections. If there aren't any that he notices as the dove, he'll have the bird try to grab the necklace with it's feet(not 100% a dove/pigeon could actually grab something with it's feet, but it's worth a shot) and start flying back to his inn room.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 03:08 AM
He grabs both and manages to return, though he collapses from exhaustion when he finally lands.

Togath
2012-11-20, 03:36 AM
Tormund puts the earring and the necklace in his room's chest, inside of his backpack for the night and heads off to sleep.
In the morning, he keeps Malphas as his active vestige, and removes the necklace and earring from his chest, putting them inside of his backpack for safekeeping. He then heads down and pays the barkeep for the room as usual, and heads(with only his backpack and daggers again, since the sword might make him look suspicious) out to try to find a jewelers shop, preferably one outside of the nobles quarter, just in case...
rolls:
binding check for rebinding Malphas:[roll0]
Gather information(for finding the jeweler):[roll1]

Rizban
2012-11-20, 03:39 AM
You spot a sign for Jim Juewliers's Gem Jewelry right across the Plaza as soon as you leave the Sad Flint.

Togath
2012-11-20, 03:43 AM
Tormund heads over to Jim's then
hopefully the news hasn't spread too much...
now how to say I got these?
From my grandmother maybe?
he thinks to him self on the way over.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 05:11 AM
As he enters the store he sees with the corner of his eye a bored looking guard getting on his feet and giving you a hard stare. A few moments later he sits back at the stool he was on but seems to be following your movements.

A young half-elf woman approaches you as you enter.
"Good day sire and welcome. How may I help you today?" she asks and gives you a short bow.

Togath
2012-11-20, 05:16 AM
"I'm running a bit low on money, and I'm afraid my work wont be able to provide enough funds for a while, so I'm here to have a few pieces of jewelry my grandmother used to wear appraised, to see if they're worth anything. I am missing one of the earrings, but the necklace is still in fine condition..."
bluff check:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-20, 06:09 AM
"Well, let me see them. I'll see what I can offer you for them."

Togath
2012-11-20, 06:41 AM
Tormund hands over the earring and the necklace.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 08:20 AM
She pulls out a jeweler's loupe, fits it into her eye, and examines the jewels closely. After examining them for a moment, she looks up at you, then back down at the necklace, glances up, then back down for closer study.

Finally, she puts the loupe away, sets the necklace and earring down on the counter that is between the two of you and says, "You care to tell me how you came by the Marquess Eichel's necklace?"

Togath
2012-11-20, 09:10 AM
"what the blazes are you talking about?, My brother said these were from my grandmother, he handled her belongings after her passing, and I clearly remember her wearing the earrings at least! Are you trying to claim I'm some sort of thief‽ When I’ve been reduced to selling my dear grandmother’s jewelry‽"
"How could I have robbed someone anyway?, I was in my inn room all last night, and in the inn's tavern this morning"
bluff:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-20, 10:44 AM
"Of course you were. That's why it has her name and family crest engraved on it, a job that was done in this very store, no less."

Togath
2012-11-20, 11:22 AM
"How much for you to stay quiet about this then, miss?"
"Trust me, being quiet is the right thing to do, and don't even think of calling for the town guards...I made sure to leave no evidence of my presence at her home, and can vanish before they get here, leaving you with the stolen jewelry for them to find"

Rizban
2012-11-20, 04:18 PM
That would be a Diplomacy check.

Togath
2012-11-20, 09:28 PM
ok, I wasn't 100% sure which skill to use so I thought I'd wait for you, one diplomacy coming up:smallsmile:
[roll0]
just remembered about the 3.5 skill synergy thing, the result is actually [21]

Rizban
2012-11-21, 12:33 AM
"I don't like your tone.

... It's too loud."

She whispers, forcing you to lean in closer to hear what she says.

"So, what are you offering?"

Togath
2012-11-21, 02:56 AM
Leaning in a bit, and lowering his voice "I'm offering a chance to help return a bit of stolen jewelry to a noble, and hopefully get some sort of reward money, and after all, wont it help business if nobles know you can recover stolen jewels? Even some stolen by the Phantom Dove?"
"My plan is simple, use my 'talents' to obtain nobles jewelry, and bring some of it back here to be 'recovered' if the nobles find it missing"

Rizban
2012-11-21, 04:49 AM
"How about this deal instead? I keep this necklace and earring, and you go acquire more. You keep up a decent flow, and I'll make sure you get a reasonable compensation and that the Watch stays out of this. This, however, I'm keeping as a down payment on the start of our little enterprise."

Togath
2012-11-21, 04:55 AM
"sounds like a deal then, Miss[as in "ms." honorific]...?"

Rizban
2012-11-21, 07:41 AM
"'Boss' will be fine."

Togath
2012-11-21, 08:07 AM
"Alright then Boss. Want me to try for the full set of those gems?, There might be guards now though, and they might find it suspicious if more jewelry goes missing from the manor. Without anywhere else having been hit yet" "I could try a different noble, though, admittedly I would need a map of where to find the other nobles, since I'm a bit new to Aldhaven"

Rizban
2012-11-21, 08:22 AM
"Just do your best, and be on your way. Don't dawdle around here unless you're bringing goods to fence."

Togath
2012-11-22, 03:23 AM
"Alright". "Should have another 'delivery' for you soon" says Tormund as he's leaving Jim's.
Once out he trys to find out the location of the main house of the Feierabend family
Gather information:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-23, 12:09 PM
He finds out that it's in the Nobles' Quarter.

Togath
2012-11-25, 01:03 AM
Tormund heads to the nobles quarter and tries to find someone who looks like they might know Where the Feierabend are.
Gather information?(not sure if that's the right skill in this case):[roll0]
if he spots someone who looks appropriate he heads over them, trying to make himself seem slightly panicked
if I'm going to go to this effort, might as well see if I can get myself inside the house in person.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 01:27 AM
The wall around the Nobles' Quarter is some 30 feet high and built on a natural rocky outcropping some 15 to 20 feet in height. A small natural cliff gives way to a road cut into the steep gradient, doubling back on itself as it rises up to the gate. Though the gate is open, there is no traffic to speak of traveling through it.

When you approach the gate, you are immediately stopped by several armed guards.

"Halt! You must present proper identification before traveling any farther."

Togath
2012-11-25, 01:34 AM
"I don't have time for this!" shouts Tormund at the guards, "The Feierabend are in danger, I've got to warn them!"
Bluff:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-25, 01:57 AM
"No.

Move along now or come back with proper paperwork."

The two guards behind him lower their pikes toward you should you try to rush forward.

Togath
2012-11-25, 02:05 AM
"Congrats on your loyalty then, *evil grin* tell your masters the white dove says hello....." says Tormund, activating Malphas' invisibility and running off(since it only lasts 30 seconds), trying to get as far away as possible before he become visible again.
If he escapes he heads back to the inn as usual.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 04:51 AM
The instant you turn invisible, there is a loud chime sound and you are forced to make a Will save.

Togath
2012-11-25, 04:53 AM
Will save:[roll0]
the luck there will definitly help with "White Dove's" image as a phantom thief:smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2012-11-25, 05:17 AM
You manage, through extreme luck, to avoid the effect and run away.

You get 5 full rounds of invisibility, moving as you want.

Togath
2012-11-25, 05:22 AM
I'll use 3 rounds of it to run(x5 normal speed[so 150ft. each round, or 450ft. total), with the final two being normal speed(30ft. or 60ft.[if it's a double move]/round), trying to find an alley or something like an alley(or sewer, or pond, etc; something I can hide in) to appear in.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 08:03 AM
You pass one sewer grate that you could pull open and slide down into.

There are narrow alleys between most buildings.

There are no ponds.

There are also a couple of shops within range.

Togath
2012-11-25, 08:11 AM
Tormund runs a few hundred feet before ducking into an alley
I'll head for an alley then.
Do I need to make a hide check to make my self less noticable?

Rizban
2012-11-25, 09:41 PM
You manage to make it into the alley. You don't think you've been spotted...
If you would like.

Togath
2012-11-26, 08:12 AM
Hide check, just in case:[roll0]
That was close...at least I know a little bit more about the security there now.. Tormund thinks to himself, before heading back to the inn.
Once there he heads up to his room, after paying the barkeep(assuming the barkeep doesn't stop him to question him about the gate thing), and summons a raven After all, they might be wary of a dove, now, but if I switch it up it'll be less suspicious to look around the nobles quarter for an open window again

Rizban
2012-11-26, 01:51 PM
It takes your raven four hours of searching, but he finally finds an open window that actually opens into a room that might have valuables.

Togath
2012-11-26, 05:30 PM
Tormund has the raven enter

Rizban
2012-11-26, 10:38 PM
The open window leads into the anteroom to the baths. There is nothing obviously valuable lying around, but there is a vanity that could potentially hold some jewelry.

Togath
2012-11-27, 08:23 AM
Tormund has the bird try to open and search the vanity.
this bird method is more effective then I'd expected Tormund tinks to himself

Rizban
2012-11-27, 12:36 PM
The bird manages to force one of the draws open just slightly. Inside, you can see the sparkles of jewelry, but the drawer seems stuck such that the bird can only reach a single ring near the very front.

Togath
2012-11-27, 12:44 PM
Well, a ring is better then nothing thinks Tormund as he has the bird pick up the ring and set it on the vanity, before having it examine the door to see if it could be opened by a raven

Rizban
2012-11-27, 12:50 PM
The latch on the door is obviously beyond the raven's strength to open.

Togath
2012-11-27, 12:53 PM
Tormund has the raven grab the ring and fly back then, having it stop for a moment by the gate he tried to pass earlier in the day in person, to see if there's any obvious weak points in it's warding.

Rizban
2012-11-27, 01:21 PM
The bird finds that the gate has a double portcullis design, requiring both to be opened to travel through the gatehouse. There is a good 30 feet between the portcullises, and obvious narrow murder holes in the ceiling and upper walls make it easy for guards to attack anyone trapped between the two without being seen.

A fair number of guards patrol the gatehouse itself as well as the tops of the walls.

As for the magical aspects of the gate, the bird has no ability to detect them.

Suddenly, a guard can be heard.

"Oi! Does that bird have a ring in its mouth?"

Togath
2012-11-27, 02:01 PM
Tormund has the bird fly away, planning to have it head to the slums before circling back to his inn room.
with luck if any follow, they'll get lost in the slums... he thinks to himself

Rizban
2012-11-27, 02:18 PM
The bird flies north toward the slums on the other side of the river. It manages to lose any stalkers you can see and return to the room just before succumbing to exhaustion.

Togath
2012-11-27, 02:40 PM
Tormund dismisses the bird, puts the ring in his pocket, and heads over to Jim's Jewelry to deliver the first(well, technically second, but you get the idea:smallwink:) of his successes

Rizban
2012-11-27, 03:10 PM
When you enter, the guard stands up again. You see Boss, who smiles at you as you enter. She waits for you to say something. There is no one else inside.

Togath
2012-11-27, 03:24 PM
"here you go, Boss" Tormund says as he puts the ring on the counter "ran in to a bit of trouble this time, and was only able to grab this bit..." "Do you happen to know any alchemists? I'm in need of a few tools, since I've been doing this mostly unequipped, minus a small knife in one case"

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:08 AM
"A jeweled signet ring of House Widmayer. Very... nice. Give me a moment. I need to get something out of the back for you."

She walks into the back room, allowing a curtain to fall over the doorway so that she cannot be seen.

Togath
2012-11-28, 09:04 AM
Tormund waits patiently for Boss to come back, taking a short glance around the shop while he does.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 10:13 AM
Not quite a full minute later, the front door flies open.

Three men from the City Watch storm in from the front and start shouting at you.

"GET DOWN ON THE GROUND! FACE DOWN! NOW!"

Three more emerge from the back room where Boss went.

Five of them have weapons drawn.

Togath
2012-11-28, 11:29 AM
"Do you really think you can catch the White Dove?" says Tormund in a mocking tone as he uses Malphas’ invisibility to vanish from sight, with his somewhat villainous grin being the last part of him to disappear.
he then either heads through the door if the guards are not blocking it, or goes to the far end of the shop from them.
Initiative:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:04 PM
Their bursting in was a surprise round. You normally have to wait until your turn in initiative to act. However, in this instance, they all delayed for you after issuing the surrender order.They have the door blocked, preventing you from just walking out.

The unarmed Watchman focuses for a moment, touching one hand to his forehead. Suddenly, a greenish "shockwave" of energy bursts out in all directions, filling the room for half a second.

Make a Reflex save.

Togath
2012-11-28, 12:17 PM
reflex save:[roll0]
also, in case these matter for the effect; Tormund is immune to fear and has fire resistance 5

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:28 PM
As the light passes over you, your form shimmers back into being. Your invisibility vanishes or, rather, does the opposite of that.

"Take him down!"

Three of the men who drew swords approach you, leaving one guarding the front door, one guarding the back, and the caster behind the make guarding the back door.

Two of them hit you, dealing [roll0] and [roll1] damage.

Your turn.

Togath
2012-11-28, 12:55 PM
"Annoying thugs.." says Tormund as he stabs the first guard who hit him, with a fiery strike from his dagger
OOC:
I attack using the burning blade maneuver with a strike(dealing piercing damage) from one of Tormund's daggers.
Attack(+damage):[roll0], & [roll1]piercing damage & 4 fire damage

Rizban
2012-11-28, 10:49 PM
Your dagger slips through his armor.

Your armor deflects two of the weapons, but one manages to hit you for [roll0] damage.

Togath
2012-11-29, 03:45 PM
Tormund grunts as another strike hits him, it didn't wound him to badly, but if his bluff is to work he has to appear weak...
"I give! I give!" gasps Tormund, pretending to be out of breath, "cease your attacks!, I surrender!" he says as he drops his dagger and kneels(unless the guards attack him for lethal damage again, in which case he remains standing)

Rizban
2012-11-29, 11:03 PM
"Hands on your head!"

The guard nearest you pulls a pair of fine manacles off of his belt.

The other two appear to ready their weapons... just in case.

Togath
2012-11-30, 12:38 AM
"All right then", says Tormund, speaking calmer now that he's tricked the guards
all I need is to last a day, and I can get out of this... he thinks to himself

also, should one of us make a post in the Aldhaven streets thread?, It seems like a noteworthy event to have someone being escorted out of a shop by six guards.

Rizban
2012-11-30, 03:25 PM
Nope. You'll see why.The man quickly shackles your hands behind your back, assuming you don't struggle.

They lead you out of the back door of the shop and to a waiting cart. The cart looks like a typical cargo cart that's been built to be entirely enclosed. It's just big enough for one person to sit in, and the door locks securely behind you.

It takes almost 30 minutes to get across town with a cart at this time of day due to the extensive foot traffic.

Togath
2012-11-30, 08:00 PM
Tormund patiently sits in the cart, though he does summon a dove.
If he can anticipate it, he stands up(or if he can't stand, sits) and uses Malphas' invisibility right before the guards open the cart.
If nothing acts before him once the guards open it he tries to roll out(or walk out) while invisible

Rizban
2012-12-03, 01:34 AM
The cart eventually comes to a stop, and you hear a loud metal portcullis close behind you. You go invisible just as the guard tries to open the door.

Make a will save.

Togath
2012-12-03, 03:52 AM
Saving throw:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:40 AM
You fail your Will save. Security systems within the Fortress purge your invisibility. When you spot your reflection in the officer's highly polished armor, you realize your skin and clothing has been magically pigmented a bright orange color.

"Step out of the vehicle."

Togath
2012-12-03, 12:33 PM
"So be it", "Nice security system you have here" he says to the guard as he steps out of the wagon.
"So how did you find me?, A sting at the jeweler's?"

Rizban
2012-12-03, 02:08 PM
"No questions. Now move."

He pushes you toward the building and toward the holding cells.

Togath
2012-12-03, 04:23 PM
"alright then" says Tormund, feeling a bit chipper now that it looks like he might end up in a normal cell.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 08:46 PM
They lead you to a cell on the first level underground beneath what appears to be a mostly administrative building. You start to feel rather confident until they door closes and they affix a glowy blue stone to the top of the door frame. Immediately, you feel a surge of energy flow through the cell, giving you a slight headache. It appears to be an anti-magic field... Perhaps the stunt with the invisibility wasn't the best idea...

Togath
2012-12-03, 09:03 PM
Did they disarm Tormund?, Or does he still have daggers?
Also, does an anti magic field effect supernatural abilities? Or just spell-likes and spells?

Rizban
2012-12-03, 09:05 PM
No, they did not disarm you of anything... yet.

It is as per the spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm).

Togath
2012-12-03, 09:12 PM
If he's alone now, Tormund draws one of his daggers and starts trying to pry open/break the hinges on his cell's door.
If he's still guarded he waits to see what happens next.
is binding a new vestige prevented by an anti-magic field?

Rizban
2012-12-06, 10:13 AM
Soul Binding is a supernatural ability and is therefore blocked.After 8 minutes of concerted effort, you manage to loosen the peg on one of the three hinges.

Togath
2012-12-06, 02:59 PM
Tormund continues to work on breaking the hinges, hoping he can get the door open before the guards come back.

Rizban
2012-12-07, 02:12 AM
The dice seem to like you...The second hinge pops out almost immediately. It takes you only another two minutes of working.

One more to go.

Togath
2012-12-07, 03:17 AM
Tormund starts on the final hinge now
lets see if my luck holds :D

Rizban
2012-12-07, 08:54 AM
After 11 minutes of trying, the door shifts positions slightly, wedging the pin into place. It doesn't look like you're going to be able to get it out without a high enough Str check.

Togath
2012-12-07, 04:21 PM
strength check:[roll0]
if it's the bottom pin, would the door own weight help any?

Rizban
2012-12-11, 04:55 PM
It's the door's weight that's causing the pin to bind.You manage to hold the door's weight level while working on the last pin. Just as you're about to get it loose...

"What are you doing?! Drop the weapon NOW!"

A guard enters.

Togath
2012-12-11, 06:51 PM
I meant, could I break the pins by shoving the door
Tormund continues to wield his dagger, and tries to shove the door hard enough to break the last pin(or remove it if he could do so in a single round) and try to push it towards the guard.
Strength check(for shoving the door, if he can undo the pin):[roll0]
Strength check 2(for toppling the door onto the guard if Tormund gets it loose):[roll1]

Rizban
2012-12-12, 12:00 AM
You manage to loose the pin and topple the door, but the guard saw what you were doing and wasn't stupid enough to stand in front of it.

The moment the door is down, he rushes into the cell hacks into you with his longsword, dealing [roll0] damage.

Togath
2012-12-12, 01:45 AM
Tormund lunges towards the guard and tries to grapple him, in an attempt to pin him, and keep him from yelling an alert
Grapple:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-12-12, 11:35 AM
You manage to grapple him, but pinning someone requires a standard action while already having a successful grapple.

He wrestles against you, grunting, and manages to punch you in the face for [roll0] nonlethal damage.

Togath
2012-12-12, 06:28 PM
missed that part about the action cost:smallredface:Tormund tries to pin the guard, covering his mouth if possible, to prevent any shouting from him.
Grapple:[roll0]

Rizban
2012-12-13, 04:48 PM
You fail to pin him, and he does indeed begin to shout.

He also punches you again. [roll0]

Togath
2012-12-13, 05:40 PM
"noisy bugger...Sorry about this next bit, no hard feelings" says Tormund, as he punches the grappled guard(using burning blade if he's outside of the anti-magic field).
Attack(+damage):[roll0]. ([roll1]nonlethal damage & 4 fire)

Rizban
2012-12-18, 02:31 PM
You manage to hurt him.

He attempts to break your grapple while he continues to shout.

Please roll a grapple check.

Togath
2012-12-18, 04:30 PM
Grapple Check:[roll0]
"Stop your shouting and I wont burn you further. I'd rather not have to add 'murder of guards' to my list of crimes"

Rizban
2012-12-19, 08:34 PM
He manages to break free from your grapple.

Your turn.

Togath
2012-12-20, 01:03 AM
does the anti magic extend into the hallway?

Rizban
2012-12-20, 03:12 AM
No, just inside the cell.

Togath
2012-12-20, 03:41 AM
ok
Tormund tries to go invisible again, saying; "I've got to be going, the White Dove can't just sit and rot here can he?"
as he tries to fade into invisibility.

Rizban
2012-12-20, 12:50 PM
As soon as you go invisible, you feel familiar magics and must make another Will save. Curse this Fortress and its protective wards!

Togath
2012-12-20, 11:50 PM
ah now I see, well feel, it...this entire place is warded... he thinks to himself while trying to resist:
Will Save:[roll0]

Togath
2012-12-27, 01:28 AM
are you ok Rizban?

Rizban
2012-12-28, 04:18 AM
You again find yourself glowing bright orange.

Taking advantage of your momentary distraction, the guard grabs his sword and hacks viciously at you, dealing [roll0] damage.

As mentioned in the recruiting and OOC threads, I've been busy with work and taking time of for Christmas.

Togath
2012-12-28, 06:22 AM
ah, missed that bit. no problem:smallsmile:

Tormund summons a dove, just in case he needs it, and says;
"Hows this sound then, you let me escape, and I split my profits with you for the next few weeks?"
Bluff(if needed):[roll0]
Diplomacy(if needed):[roll1]
If the guard attacks, Tormund will command(a mental action as far as I can tell) his bird to try to distract the guard by clawing and pecking at him.

Rizban
2013-01-08, 06:02 PM
"Sounds good. Let me just sheath my sword."

He stabs at you, dealing [roll0] damage.

"Huh, doesn't seem to want to go in. Maybe if I thrust harder."

Togath
2013-01-08, 08:19 PM
"you!" the rest of Tormund's sentence is cut off as he succumbs to his wounds

ooc: Tormund's been knocked out(he's at 7 hp, and has 11 nonlethal damage), and the bird probably vanished(not 100% sure if it has to be dismissed or not)

Rizban
2013-01-08, 09:43 PM
The bird flies away through the bars, escaping the prison. It wasn't magically summoned, merely magically compelled to serve you.

You wake up a few hours later with your wounds bound, locked in a different cell. A quick glance reveals that the hinges on this door are well outside of your reach. You now have 0 nonlethal damage but have recovered no hit points.

Togath
2013-01-08, 11:11 PM
well now what have I gotten myself into...better then being dead though Tormund thinks to himself, as he looks to see if he still has any weapons.

Rizban
2013-01-09, 03:01 PM
He has been stripped of all but his clothing.

Togath
2013-01-09, 04:50 PM
Can I tell if the room is anti-magic?, If not, Tormund will try to use burning blade on a punch against the door to test.

Rizban
2013-01-16, 08:55 PM
The room is indeed antimagic.

Togath
2013-01-16, 09:53 PM
assuming there are bars, Tormund tries t make a strength check to break one off, to give him a tool. If it would provide any bonuses, he'll try using his shirt as an improvised tool to make it easier.

Rizban
2013-01-18, 08:43 PM
Alright, but you'll have to actually make the roll...

Togath
2013-01-18, 08:48 PM
Strength roll: [roll0] +/- whatever using his shirt as a tool adds(if anything).

Rizban
2013-01-19, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately, you are unable to break the bars nor even to bend them.

About 10 minutes later, a guard comes in with a piece of only slightly molded bread and a small clay bowl of water. He unceremoniously slams them down next to your cell and turns to leave without a word.

Togath
2013-01-20, 04:35 PM
(sorry for the late response, missed the thread updating)

When the guard comes near with the food, Tormund tries to catch and grapple him(assuming he can fit with hands through the bars, if not, then Tormund tries to whip the guard with his jacket).
Rolls(not 100% sure which ones are needed):
Attack +damage(unarmed):,1d4+3 nonlethal[/roll]
Attack +damage(shirt whip):[roll1] (whatever damage it might deal)
Grapple(two rolls, as I'm not 100% sure how many I would need to start grappling him): [roll2]. [roll3]

If he's somehow too fast to attack, Tormund goes back to using the same method he was earlier to try to escape, taking twenty(for a result of 27 plus whatever the shirt grants) this time around.

Rizban
2013-01-21, 11:03 AM
You grab at the guard, but he manages to twist out of your grip easily.

"Well, if that's the way you want it!"

He kicks the bread and water out of your reach and leaves.

After an hour of effort, you manage to bend a bar about a half inch.

Togath
2013-01-22, 06:41 PM
Tormund continues to take 20 on strength checks until either a guard comes or he succeeds in breaking a bar(or until he needs to sleep).

Rizban
2013-01-23, 06:21 AM
Before you do much more, a small man with thick glasses enters carrying a leather "book" of unbound papers which seem to be jammed into it rather haphazardly. He is flanked by two guardsmen.

Seeing what you're doing, one of the guards rushes over to you, banging his club against the bar where you're working to drive you back. Turning back to the man, he says, "I'm sorry, you'll probably have to come back later. I don't think the prisoner is ready to cooperate."

Togath
2013-01-23, 05:17 PM
"No!, Wait, I'll cooperate!" shouts Tormund, realizing that he was probably not set to be executed, and now much more cooperative.

Rizban
2013-01-25, 05:07 AM
The short man steps up and pulls out a small wooden box that unfolds on its own to form a rudimentary table just about waist high. He places his book upon it and opens it.

"Sir, it seems that there are a number of charges against you. Your repeated attempts at escape..." He pauses a moment to write something down. "...including this most recent one do not help your case in any way."

Togath
2013-01-25, 04:55 PM
"I was merely fearful of corrupt guards. And I only stole from nobles so I could fund a mission to search for a mythical fruit tree said to be buried under the city, who's fruits can be made into an elixir granting eternal life...surely that's worth your trouble isn't it?"
“and if this help my case any, I thought I was stealing from a certain house of nobles, whch from what I’ve heard may have anarchic plans for the city...

Bluff check(since the fruit was said to cure disease/poison, not to grant immortality):[roll0]
2nd Bluff Check(for the part about attempting to steal only from anarchists):[roll1]

Rizban
2013-01-29, 02:05 PM
"I see... So, your defense is to plead insanity."

Togath
2013-01-29, 02:20 PM
"I'm not mad" says Tormund, realizing he may have a decent bluff "it's the spirits I bind! They're the mad ones!"

Rizban
2013-01-30, 06:02 AM
"You willingly bind spirits to yourself which are mad and cause insanity in you? I see..."

Togath
2013-01-30, 02:37 PM
"If you want proof, ask your guards, it's how I vanished, and mauled them with doves, or ask someone at the plaza a few days ago, where I had horns as was breathing fire"

Rizban
2013-02-07, 01:01 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been dealing with a lot of personal stuff this past week.He begins to write on his notes again.

"I see..."

He pauses a moment to think.

"Very well, I do believe I know how to help you. If you'll be so kind as to not attempt escape again, I can have arrangements made to clear all of this up tomorrow morning."

Togath
2013-02-08, 01:58 AM
"I will wait then" responds Tormund, at the very least, even if this is a trick, they'd have to let me out for a moment to sell it, he thinks to himself

Rizban
2013-02-19, 03:11 PM
The next day, the man returns with four clerics of Pelor who appear to be setting up to perform an exorcism.

Togath
2013-02-20, 04:03 PM
That was unexpected, but a useful turn of events, thinks Tormund, as he shouts "the baboons!, The baboons are darkness are screeching!" while flailing his arms against the door, though he stops and cooperates if any clerics or the odd man enter to move him to be exorcised.

Bluff Check to Bluff Insanity/Possession by Demogorgon:[roll0]

Rizban
2013-02-21, 01:47 AM
Two of the clerics hold up small iron rods and cast spells on you simultaneously. Two Will saves please.

Togath
2013-02-21, 02:21 AM
Saves;
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rizban
2013-02-21, 02:32 AM
You feel rigor mortis strike your body as you become completely immobilized.

"Please do not resist, this is for your own good," says the man from before as your muscles freeze.

They continue their preparations for another five rounds before opening the cage, allowing you additional saves if you choose; however, if you break the spell, they simply cast another hold person upon you.

When they are ready, the four priests enter your cell and take up positions around you.

Togath
2013-02-21, 04:30 AM
Tormund willingly fails his saves then, after all, even if they take my current vestige I can always obtain a new one he thinks to himself as they surround him.

Rizban
2013-02-21, 04:33 AM
After 24 hours, the pact automatically ends, whether you choose for it to or not. Unless you've made a new pact since you've been arrested, you shouldn't have any pacts going...

Togath
2013-02-21, 04:36 AM
After 24 hours, the pact automatically ends, whether you choose for it to or not. Unless you've made a new pact since you've been arrested, you shouldn't have any pacts going...

Ah, I hadn't realized they auto cancelled, in that case he doesn't have any active, negating his fire resistance and reducing his initiative by one(If I'm remembering what he had buffed correctly anyway)

Rizban
2013-02-21, 05:03 AM
They spend almost twenty minutes chanting and performing various rituals before pronouncing you cleansed and stepping back away from you.

Togath
2013-02-21, 05:11 PM
If Tormund can move again;

"Thank you kind souls for freeing me from that horrid fiend's curse, I beg of you, where might I find your temple so that I might donate to your cause and thank whoever trained you in these arts?" says Tormund, trying to seem grateful.

bluff check(if it's needed):[roll0]

Rizban
2013-02-22, 04:55 PM
"In Temple, you can't miss it."

They quickly gather their things and leave as the barrister completes paperwork to begin to process of your release. After the priests leave, the door is firmly locked behind them, leaving you in your cell with the barrister working just outside.

Togath
2013-02-23, 04:14 PM
"Thank you for the aid, sir" says Tormund, trying to sound innocent, once the barrister is finished with paperwork on he's on his way out(unless there's more left).

Once out he heads towards the inn, to check on his belongings.

Rizban
2013-02-25, 06:39 PM
The barrister finishes whatever he's working on and adjusts his glasses as he looks up at you.

"Very well, securing your release will be simple at this point. I just need to collect the 4,125gp you owe for fines and services rendered."

Togath
2013-02-26, 02:51 AM
"very well,I should have about that amount in my inn room's chest, or even if not quite that much, a few treasures of equal value to go along with two thousand or so gold"

Rizban
2013-02-26, 02:55 AM
"Very well, give me the name of the inn and the room number, as well as the name under which you registered, and I shall have a lieutenant dispatched with a search and seizure warrant to obtain your items. After the fees are assessed, anything remaining will be returned to you upon your release."

Togath
2013-02-26, 03:53 AM
"Sad Flint, second floor, room number 238 I believe.
I didn't give a name, as the barkeep didn't ask for one either, just tell him I was the guy in the plain travelling clothes, carrying a backpack and some maps, ought to be common enough to stick out in an odd place like the Sad Flint"

Rizban
2013-02-26, 04:03 AM
Can you please give me a list of exactly which items where stored in your room and what you had on you that the Watch has already confiscated? I've reviewed your thread and am pretty sure of the lists, but I'd like to get confirmation from you on them.

Togath
2013-02-26, 04:17 AM
Do I need to roll a bluff chck for Tormund?

also, the list;
confiscated: dagger x5

room: backpack, beltpouch x2, iron pot, 50ft. of rope, torches x4, a waterskin, a +1 keen greatsword(shaped like a chef's knife), 2 french rolling pins, a bedroll, a rug, masterwork cooking tools, a small merchant's scale, 20 dried peppers, 1/2lb of salt, 1/2lb of pepper corns, jar of paprika, jar of assorted common herbs, two sticks of chalk, a stone mortar, a wooden pestle.

Rizban
2013-02-26, 04:33 AM
Do I need to roll a bluff chck for Tormund?

also, the list;
confiscated: dagger x5

room: backpack, beltpouch x2, iron pot, 50ft. of rope, torches x4, a waterskin, a +1 keen greatsword(shaped like a chef's knife), 2 french rolling pins, a bedroll, a rug, masterwork cooking tools, a small merchant's scale, 20 dried peppers, 1/2lb of salt, 1/2lb of pepper corns, jar of paprika, jar of assorted common herbs, two sticks of chalk, a stone mortar, a wooden pestle.

Were you making a bluff attempt? Ah, so you were. Yes, you need to make a Bluff check.

Togath
2013-02-26, 04:59 AM

Rizban
2013-02-26, 05:15 AM
He adjusts his glasses.

"Are you sure that's the correct number?"

Togath
2013-02-26, 03:30 PM
"Pretty sure it's 238, why would I lie? at worst I'm off by a number or two, It's my key to freedom aint it?, If you really want to be sure, I could come along, the barkeep did do some sort of magical room key thing, tied to my hand's touch in this case"

Bluff?(not sure if it's possible to bluff after a failed bluff check):[roll0]

Rizban
2013-02-26, 09:44 PM
He scratches his chin and looks at you sternly over the top of his glasses.

"Perhaps the spirit wasn't your only problem after all. I'll send the lieutenant to collect your belongings, but it looks like we're not done here after all."

He collects his paperwork and turns to leave.

"Don't go anywhere."

Regardless of what you say or do, he leaves without another word.

Togath
2013-03-01, 05:38 AM
"If you're going to be like that, real rooms number's 240, and I do have something originally worth whatcher looking for, a giant sword like weapon, that cost about ten thousand gold.. tis an eight foot long chef's knife sized for a giant though, but hey, it is worth twice what you want, and I can make it fine even without a sword" , says Tormund, leaping up to keep the barrister from moving from the room while he says that.
Grapple check(if needed):[roll0]

Rizban
2013-03-01, 04:03 PM
You leap up, but the bars on your cell prevent you from grappling the barrister. He seems unfazed by your antics, apparently expecting as much from you.

"Very well, I'll dispatch the lieutenant. It would have gone better for you had you told the truth from the beginning."

He leaves the area, activating the anti-magic field before he leaves.

Togath
2013-03-07, 06:11 AM
:smallredface:misread where he was, i don't think Tormund would be angry enough to leap at the bars, in this case he would just try to rapidly shout that bit about the sword

As the barrister exits Tormund slumps down against the back wall of the cell and awaits someone's arrival

Rizban
2013-03-07, 06:15 AM
A few hours later, the barrister and the dispatched lieutenant appear.

"So, it looks like there's a problem here...

It seems your rent on the room ran out a couple days ago, and your things were cleared out and sold off by the management of the Flint... which leaves you still owing the full 4,125gp to the Watch."

Togath
2013-03-12, 05:22 AM
finally got over my writer's block on what to have Tormund do here

"Th-that stupid innkeeper.." mutters Tormund, "how 'bout this then, I work for you and the city to help pay?, Deal? And if you're worried about me escaping, just have a wizard or somesuch put some sort of tracking rune or spell on me"

Rizban
2013-03-13, 08:37 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been dealing with family members in the hospital."Since you can't pay, you will be working on the beaver problem we're facing. First thing in the morning, you'll be assigned to a chain gang and sent upriver on a barge to help hunt down the beavers damming the river."

Togath
2013-03-13, 09:47 PM
no problem :)
"Thank you sir" says Tormund graciously, "I remember having heard about the beaver job shortly before the 'incident' that led to all of this.." he continues, "are we purging them, or collecting their furs?, I'd like to know what to use on them"

Rizban
2013-03-13, 10:14 PM
"Both. You are paid for each fur you recover, or, in your case, the payment is deducted from your debt to society. Furs damaged beyond what the merchant is willing to pay for do not count toward your debt."

Togath
2013-03-13, 11:43 PM
"sounds like a deal then" says Tormund jollily.
If the barrister doesn’t say anything else, Tormund rests until morning

Rizban
2013-03-14, 02:18 AM
"I'll have someone fetch you in the morning and return the items we took from you for use during the hunt. Afterward, you must surrender them. If you remain on good behavior, this will be all over quickly enough. If not..."

He sighs heavily.

"I really do not want to handle that paperwork."

Togath
2013-03-25, 10:10 AM
"no problem.. I'll do my best to leave their skins intact enough" says Tormund with a small grin.

---
if the barrister is finished;
Tormund waits until morning, and if left alone and outside of an anti-magic cell before anything else begins he looks around for something to draw a vestige seal with.