PDA

View Full Version : Turning 20 levels into 100 levels.

Flik9999
2012-11-17, 07:39 PM
Hey I am running a Final Fantasy campaign and wish to turn 1-20 into 1-100. I am however unsure how I would do this.

I am thinking that five levels have to be equivalent to 1 level in D&D.

FFD20 is based off pathfinder and 3.5.

Any ideas?

drew2u
2012-11-17, 07:47 PM
When I made my Pokemon d20, I did just the opposite. I contracted the video game's 100 levels into d20's 20 levels.
I've never played FF, but the abilities, moves, etc. at each of those 5 levels, I just gave at a single level - sometimes making them a "choose one, daily" option instead of getting all 5 or whatever right off the bat.

Quellian-dyrae
2012-11-17, 07:52 PM
I wonder how far you could get by basically converting the game to a d100. Anything that gives a check bonus or damage/hp/healing dice every X levels still does so. Other stuff is just spaced out five times as many levels.

I imagine there would be issues to resolve, but it would probably be a decent place to start, anyway.

bobthe6th
2012-11-17, 08:03 PM
just advance in stages?
They chose to get BAB, Skills, saves, or wealth at each of four levels, then at the fifth level give the classes abilaties.

so a fighter starts at level 5, then goes to 6. he can chose to advance his BAB one point, gain his skill points, boost his saves, or get his WBL for that level. he levels up the other 4 levels rapidly, hitting 10. He gets a bonus feat!

wealth was the only other thing I could think of. It would require that you give out WBL as a purely mechanical part of leveling.

Justyn
2012-11-17, 08:15 PM
I wonder how far you could get by basically converting the game to a d100. Anything that gives a check bonus or damage/hp/healing dice every X levels still does so. Other stuff is just spaced out five times as many levels.

I imagine there would be issues to resolve, but it would probably be a decent place to start, anyway.

Well, for one thing, d20 is based off of each 1 point of bonus or penalty being a 5% chance, so all bonuses and penalties would need to be multiplied by 5 to use the same mechanical math that's used in the game.

The current way experience is handled would likely need to scrapped though, they're completely based on a progression of needing to gain (current level*1000) experience to progress to the next level. And the game is setup as to give a level up every 13 encounters (not fights, an encounter can be anything that can be construed as a adversarial challenge from a debate between heated rivals to a room full of traps to getting ambushed by orcs and everything in between), so having to get through 1300 balanced encounters to get to the max level rather than the 260 you need as of now means that you'll have to resort to level grinding; and I don't think you or the players want to do that.

bobthe6th
2012-11-17, 08:35 PM
The current way experience is handled would likely need to scrapped though, they're completely based on a progression of needing to gain (current level*1000) experience to progress to the next level. And the game is setup as to give a level up every 13 encounters (not fights, an encounter can be anything that can be construed as a adversarial challenge from a debate between heated rivals to a room full of traps to getting ambushed by orcs and everything in between), so having to get through 1300 balanced encounters to get to the max level rather than the 260 you need as of now means that you'll have to resort to level grinding; and I don't think you or the players want to do that.

But how would they be able to beleave a FF without level grinding?

on a more serious note, you could just divide the XP required to level into 5 chunks, and grant a level at each point.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-11-17, 09:56 PM
I agree that a d100 system would be more appropriate if there were 100 levels for every class. However, most d100 systems you could trawl for ideas are point-based rather than level-based.

Glimbur
2012-11-17, 10:08 PM
Hey I am running a Final Fantasy campaign and wish to turn 1-20 into 1-100. I am however unsure how I would do this.

I am thinking that five levels have to be equivalent to 1 level in D&D.

FFD20 is based off pathfinder and 3.5.

Any ideas?

Well, the simplest approach is to multiply everyone's 'level' entry on the character sheet by 5 and not change anything mechanically. That probably doesn't suit you though.

I refuse to even suggest Epic (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicBasicsAndClasses.htm) levels, as they cause problems.

I don't have a good answer, sorry.

EtherianBlade
2012-11-18, 03:36 PM
DnD Online has basically done this. They partitioned the 20 levels into 5 ranks each, granting what basically amounts to the player's choice of a feat-like ability at each rank. Hit points, spell use, etc. don't actually increase until the next level is gained, but each rank grants a new ability.

For fighters in the game, some of the choices are increased hit points, a bonus to confirm critical hits, a +1 bonus to a particular skill, and so forth.

You might want to check out the game just to see how they split up the levels. It's free to download and play.

Mangles
2012-11-18, 04:03 PM
I'm came to say what etherian beat me to. It really did work well in DDO and gave a feeling of progression without forcing a big numbers get bigger style that most MMOs subscribe to.