PDA

View Full Version : Time Lord [PF Race, PEACH]

Razanir
2012-11-20, 01:57 PM
Note/Warning: I've only actually seen a couple of episodes, and only of the 11th Doctor

TIME LORD

+2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Wis: Time lords are more resilient because of their extra hearts and have an easy time finding companions, but at the same time can be a bit absent-minded
Medium size
Base speed: 30 ft
Skilled as human (+1 skill points each level)
Twin hearts: +2 to any save against a death effect
Low-light vision
Regeneration. See below
Hatred: Gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls against any enemy creatures that say "exterminate" in a language the Time Lord can understand

Regeneration:
When a time lord dies, he can regenerate into a new form after the encounter is over. Canonically this can happen 12 times, but DMs may want to restrict this to 2-3 times. When a time lord regenerates, he has the option to make a new character with a few restrictions. First, the new character must still be a time lord, although details such as height, weight and even gender do not have to be constant. Second, the new character must keep the same ability scores, although he may reroll one physical score of his choice. Third, he must either stay the same class or change to a similar one (such as wizard to sorcerer or cleric to oracle). Fourth and finally, this is more taxing than a typical resurrection spell. The time lord takes 2 negative levels as a result and is fatigued until he gets 8 hours of rest.

Socratov
2012-11-21, 06:26 AM
first off, it seems you nailed, but I have a few nits to pick:

1) isn't the race a bit strong? I mean it has the advantages of a few 0 LA races all thrown in together. I'd personally either give him a slight penalty or a slight 1 LA (regeneration, save against death effects etc. are kinda useful in the later levels too).
2) Shouldn't the hatred also include a compusion to attack those creatures asap?

BelGareth
2012-11-21, 10:30 AM
Note/Warning: I've only actually seen a couple of episodes, and only of the 11th Doctor

TIME LORD

+2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Wis: Time lords are more resilient because of their extra hearts and have an easy time finding companions, but at the same time can be a bit absent-minded
Medium size
Base speed: 30 ft
Skilled as human (+1 skill points each level)
Twin hearts: +2 to any save against a death effect
Low-light vision
Regeneration. See below
Hatred: Gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls against any enemy creatures that say "exterminate" in a language the Time Lord can understand

Regeneration:
When a time lord dies, he can regenerate into a new form after the encounter is over. Canonically this can happen 12 times, but DMs may want to restrict this to 2-3 times. When a time lord regenerates, he has the option to make a new character with a few restrictions. First, the new character must still be a time lord, although details such as height, weight and even gender do not have to be constant. Second, the new character must keep the same ability scores, although he may reroll one physical score of his choice. Third, he must either stay the same class or change to a similar one (such as wizard to sorcerer or cleric to oracle). Fourth and finally, this is more taxing than a typical resurrection spell. The time lord takes 2 negative levels as a result and is fatigued until he gets 8 hours of rest.

This is awesome, well done.

I would include a +2 Int, as time lords are insanely intelligent, Also, the Cybermen do not say exterminate, but he hates them too.

Eldan
2012-11-21, 11:59 AM
I'm disappointed, it doesn't have my favourite Timelord feature, the psychic headbutt :smalltongue:

Razanir
2012-11-21, 06:53 PM
first off, it seems you nailed, but I have a few nits to pick:

1) isn't the race a bit strong? I mean it has the advantages of a few 0 LA races all thrown in together. I'd personally either give him a slight penalty or a slight 1 LA (regeneration, save against death effects etc. are kinda useful in the later levels too).
2) Shouldn't the hatred also include a compusion to attack those creatures asap?

This is awesome, well done.

I would include a +2 Int, as time lords are insanely intelligent, Also, the Cybermen do not say exterminate, but he hates them too.

I was trying to use this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10167962). Regen was really hard to balance, so I arbitrarily valued it at 5 points. I suppose I could make it LA +1, though. I assume the +2 Int wouldn't change it to +2?

zimmerwald1915
2012-11-21, 07:02 PM
AFAIK, PF doesn't have LA, and has racial feats members of a given race can take if they want some of the stuff that would have granted that race LA in 3.5. Might be appropriate to make a "Gallifreyan" race that can take Time Lord racial feats.

Eldan
2012-11-22, 07:23 AM
Just a suggestion for regeneration: instead of allowing scores to be re-rolled, you might allow switching two scores. Because with rerolls, the scores will tend to get higher overall, as long as they are below about 13 or 14.

Ashtagon
2012-11-22, 09:50 AM
The regeneration feature, as written, is a zero-point quirk. Any use of it is strictly inferior to simply rolling up a new character.

I'd make it fast healing 1, with a limit that if it heals their full total hp in a single day, it stops working and they become fatigued until they have a long rest.

They can also use it (expending all the daily healing and becoming fatigued as above) to recover from drowning, massive damage, and similar "system shock" events. The recovery can be made up to an hour after "death". During that "dormant" period, the time lord is aware of *loud* noise, and *large* changes in temperature only.

Socratov
2012-11-23, 02:28 AM
The regeneration feature, as written, is a zero-point quirk. Any use of it is strictly inferior to simply rolling up a new character.

I'd make it fast healing 1, with a limit that if it heals their full total hp in a single day, it stops working and they become fatigued until they have a long rest.

They can also use it (expending all the daily healing and becoming fatigued as above) to recover from drowning, massive damage, and similar "system shock" events. The recovery can be made up to an hour after "death". During that "dormant" period, the time lord is aware of *loud* noise, and *large* changes in temperature only.

To be honest, I don't think giving someone a racial IHS is a great thing though YMMV. I think it's worth an LA 1 as is and would be good.
Well we all knew the position of Winter Knight made you a supernatural heavyweight even if granted to a vanilla human. Given how strong Dresden already was this problem was probably inevitable. And according to WOJ he still has at least a couple more power ups to go before the Apocalypse Trilogy renders him an outclassed underdog again.

Ashtagon
2012-11-23, 03:02 AM
To be honest, I don't think giving someone a racial IHS is a great thing though YMMV. I think it's worth an LA 1 as is and would be good.

Well, IHS is a 1/encounter ability (or more, if you plan your initiator build right). As I wrote it, this is strictly a daily power, with a severe lasting penalty until you have a night's rest.

Maybe I should have added a line to note that this fatigue can't be removed prematurely.