PDA

View Full Version : The Darkwater Operation IC

Volthawk
2012-11-25, 07:54 AM
Darkwater's efforts to understand the expansion of the Central Zone rely on many reports and research from lots of angles. One of these angles is the Terra Observatory, a research station by the border of the Central Zone that focuses on looking at the earth and how it changes with the influence of the Zone. Reports from the observatory have dried up, and your group has been sent in to investigate.

The travel is rather uneventful until the last night of camp before you expect to reach the Observatory, when a stranger appears from the air, silhouetted by the light of the full moon, with more details becoming evident as it approaches.

It appears to be some variety of warforged, with jet black armour apparently designed to be as intimidating as possible, but past that it's certainly unusual, whether it's the fact that it has decidedly organic-looking, albeit decaying and tattered, wings or the lattice of dark red flesh running along the warforged's body, focusing in parts to form clusters of thick protective scales.

It lands by the edge of your camp and speaks, its voice slow and with underlying hints of...something unnatural and unnerving, something that can't quite be pinned down but is undeniably there.

"So...you are the ones they send to investigate? I would've thought they'd send older people."

Saskia
2012-11-25, 02:08 PM
Peregrine eyes the odd guest suspiciously, then looks back down and continues sharpening her handaxe. Dryly she says Older folk're as like to break a hip as kill.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-25, 07:21 PM
Beatrice

The long-haired blond knight sits with her blade sheathed and resting in her lap. Both of her hands rest atop her sheath, and her eyes are closed in deep meditation. She does not look at the creature as it appears, nor does she move in response to its appearance. Instead, the knight simply takes a deep breath, lets that breath out, then nods. "Age means little in a time of crisis. Whether by youthful energy or by experience; all things can be resolved."

afrenchpenguin
2012-11-25, 08:53 PM
Mathitis sits in meditation, but rises to greet this new guest, "Hello stranger," He says as he stands, he takes his guisarme off of his back and sticks the blade into the ground. "What be you, friend or foe? What is your purpose here?" He acts cautious but still speaks friendly.

Falconknight06
2012-11-27, 11:58 PM
Kestrel takes a break from playing to greet the stranger, a friendly smile on his face. The lovely knight speaks the truth Kestrel says, motioning towards Beatrice, when she says age has little to do with most aptitudes. Unless the investigation requires brittle bones, or poor eyesight? But that can't be what you're looking for is it?

With that, Kestrel sits back down on the stump he had been sitting on, resuming his tune on his mandolin, but at a much quieter volume to allow others to hear the warforged speak, but his music still produces a lovely backdrop

Perform [roll0]

Road_Runner
2012-11-28, 02:56 AM
Califer stares at the stranger curiously, rubbing his fingers into the knots of his wooden staff as he sits curiously. "Older people? What's the point of age. It just brings you closer to death..." his voice trails off. He goes back to rubbing the knots in his staff.

Saskia
2012-11-28, 03:40 AM
Peregrine shakes her head and replaces her whetstone in her pack and her axe in her belt, saying as she does so, I reckon the point o' age is death itself, kill off the people what don't care to think anymore. She looks intently at Calcifer. Folks' always learnin', more found out ev'ry day; can't keep up if'n y'aren't born to it. You 'magine what the world'd look like if th' ign'rant old folk ne'er died off?

Knowledge (arcana) to identify the warforged thing? [roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-29, 01:49 AM
Beatrice

The young knight simply shakes her head. "It's rather rude to speak of the elderly thusly. Without our elders' struggles, then none of us would be alive today."

afrenchpenguin
2012-11-29, 09:48 AM
Mathitis replies, "Friends, we must not bicker amongst ourselves, we must turn our attention to the deed at hand." He turns toward the warforged, "Now, what is your name? Answer my questions if you will.""

Volthawk
2012-11-29, 02:17 PM
The warforged merely offers a bow. "My name is immaterial. I merely wished to make sure that you were who I thought I was for the coming events." He straightens up, and slowly starts to gain some altitude, taking a lot longer than the time he took to land, although he does give the impression he could go faster if he wanted to.

Peregrine:

At it's core, it is your average warforged, although the plating is one of the rarer variants, the plating itself made out a metallic substance mined in Central Zone outposts, one with a strong association with fear. As for the strange organic growths, the exact cause of that is unknown although it's nature appears to be similar to that of some of the mutations found in those that spend too long in the Zone - something it was thought that the warforged's nature gave them immunity to.

afrenchpenguin
2012-11-29, 06:49 PM
Mathitis lowers his guard, he removes his guisarme from the ground and places it back in its rightful place. He smiles back at the warforged and says, "Well you came to the right place. Welcome." Mathitis motions to the camp and sits down by the fire and then motions for immaterial to join him.

Saskia
2012-11-29, 06:52 PM
While the creature is in the air, Peregrine turns to Beatrice and says It ain't rude, Bea, I'm talkin' plain. I know you ain't keen to lose the pretty in that face o'yours, but it'll sag and hang 'ventually. You live, you teach the kids young what you didn't learn 'til later. Whole thing comes 'round and leaves you more ign'rant'n the kids what learned from you.

When the creature finally lands she asks it I don't mean to be rude, but d'you graft some corpse onto yerself'r what? I din'think metal on metal could mutate that way. Least, I never seen it that way. Anyway we need something to call you or I'm like to call you somethin' to which you might take offense, and ain't none of us want to upset nobody.

Road_Runner
2012-11-29, 10:58 PM
Calcifer thinks quietly for a few moments. "I don't think old people are ignorant because of their years. I think they are ignorant because everything stops working as well, physically and mentally. Their muscles get weaker, bones and joints get tired, and their mind gets clouded and not as sharp. If only time didn't wear down our bodies, we could all be as smart and probably wiser than in our younger years."

Saskia
2012-11-30, 02:20 AM
Peregrine nods at Calcifer's words. Leaning forward, she keeps her bright green eyes trained on the warforged, scanning for hostile movement.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-03, 07:35 PM
Mathitis turns to Peregrine and answers the question, "He said his name was immaterial, shall we discuss our duty at the lighthouse now?"

Saskia
2012-12-03, 10:35 PM
Peregrine nods conceit to Mathitis' point. I s'pose so. So what needs fixin', Boss? Don't fig'ur you call somebody out to change the firewood.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-03, 11:17 PM
Mathitis acknowledges Peregrine's comment and says " I agree, surely there is a reason you must be here."

Volthawk
2012-12-04, 04:30 PM
"The process isn't quite as simple as standard mutation for ones like myself, but still possible. As for the observatory...no, it isn't that simple. It's been overrun - I was sent out to ensure our redoubts in the field were all up to scratch, but when I returned to the Observatory, it had already been taken. They're spreading out into the surrounding land - from here on in, you'll likely be running into them."

Road_Runner
2012-12-04, 05:29 PM
Calcifer frowns. "Hmmm... overrun, that is not good. It might be difficult to overtake it, but the least we can do is investigate and get information. Shall we proceed to the observatory?"

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-04, 06:06 PM
Mathitis begins to look concerned, he cautiously turns to the warforged and asks, "What kind of stuff do you think we'll be fighting in there?"

Saskia
2012-12-05, 06:01 AM
Peregrine's interest is quite obviously piqued at the word "overrun". She nods once more at Mathitis' words and adds Reckon you can tell us better'n what we know this ain't no simple wilderness. She shakes her head, adding Could be there's a hun'erd nasty species out here what looks to take up against th'observatory, be nice t'know what we're up against.

Falconknight06
2012-12-05, 08:42 PM
So our little ragtag group is supposed to take back an observatory that lots of powerful mages were unable to hold? Sounds like fun Kestrel says, a barely suppressed grin on his face. He puts his mandolin onto his back and listens intently for the plan this warforged, or the rest of the party, may have.

ZeroNumerous
2012-12-06, 09:12 AM
Beatrice

The young knight just sighs when their situation is spelled out. "Sounds like a death sentence, but if there's a possibility of survivors in that outpost then we should go investigate. At very least we can give the fallen proper burial rites."

Road_Runner
2012-12-06, 01:49 PM
"Yes, I agree with Beatrice, the least we can do is just check it out." says Calcifer.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-06, 06:33 PM
Mathitis is pleased with the groups cooperation and gives a very slight smile. He turns back to the warforged and says, "Okay, so we're all in agreement, lets talk strategy. What is the terrain of the lighthouse, do you have a layout of it or anything like that? Also what kind of stuff will we be facing in there, and in what quantities?"

Volthawk
2012-12-07, 01:15 PM
The warforged...nearly shakes his head at Kestrel's statement. "Lots of powerful mages isn't really the way I'd put it. There were a few skilled people, but generally new members were sent out there for a bit of field experience with regards to the zone and what it's like at the outskirts, nothing too important or dangerous. I was one of the main defensive elements, but since they struck when I was gone, they managed to take it over, although it seems they don't intend to stick around - a quick bit of scouting showed that a lot of them are leaving, but some kind of organised operation is happening inside the observatory, and they appear to be remodelling. As for plans..."

The warforged is quiet for a moment, before appearing to retch, a rolled up paper coming up out of his mouth a few moments later.

"Here's a map of the observatory - bear in mind that there may be some damage or changes made by the aberrations. It sits on a hill, which gives it good sight coverage over the surrounding area - I saw entrances to tunnels that appeared to be going through it that weren't there before, I imagine they did it, this may be useful to you."

Falconknight06
2012-12-07, 04:04 PM
This just keeps getting better and better Kestrel will say with the mention of hidden tunnels and abberations. Hopefully we'll be able to find some survivors to rescue as well. Kestrel then begins going through his bag, double checking his supplies in anticipation of travel.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-08, 01:26 PM
Mathitis acknowledges this new-found information with a simple and calm nod. He then proceeds to say, "Well it was inevitable that we should encounter some sort of resistance, but I agree with Kestrel, we should try and rescue some survivors while we are in there." He turns to the warforged and continues, "When shall we leave, Today? Tomorrow? When?"

Road_Runner
2012-12-08, 03:24 PM
"I don't see any point in wasting time. We are all prepared to fight now, why don't we leave immediately?" says Calcifer.

Saskia
2012-12-08, 05:36 PM
Peregrine stands up lightly, taking up her backpack, bow, and shield as she does. She partially draws her longsword briefly to check the blade, saying Cal's got the right of it. I ain't one for goin' in blind but if'n there may be folk what need us it won't do to tarry. She sheathes her blade and sighs. She places her hand on her hip as she continues, The list'nin' station can be rebuilt, dead folk're a bit harder to put back together. 'Sides, survivors might be able to tell us what set the hounds loose.

Road_Runner
2012-12-10, 06:05 PM
Uh, since nobody has posted for the last couple days, are we ready to do a time skip to the observatory?

ZeroNumerous
2012-12-10, 06:15 PM
That's what I was waiting on.

Saskia
2012-12-10, 06:31 PM
Pretty much, yeah. Also isn't this what the ooc thread is for?

Volthawk
2012-12-11, 04:38 PM
The warforged nods. "Very well then." He then takes off again and starts to fly off in the direction of the observatory, showing the path to take.

The sun is starting to rise as you reach the observatory - despite the warnings, you didn't run into anything on the way, and you reach the base of the hill that it sits on. From your position, one where you have cover from the nearby foliage, you can see a great deal of the surrounding area, as well as your first sight of the changes that were made - however, no actual foes can be seen.

The main entrance to the observatory can be reached by a roundabout path that meanders up the hill around the rocky terrain. Here and there, you can see mounds of a strange resin-like substance, which the warforged points out as being one of the changes made. Also, around the observatory itself is a wall of the stuff, with a gap where the main entrance is. The rest of the hill is much as it always has been, a rather rocky hill that nonetheless looks like it could be climbed. You can also see a few of the tunnel entrances mentioned, irregularly-shaped holes in the hill ringed by the resin, large enough to fit an elephant in.

Saskia
2012-12-11, 07:45 PM
On seeing the resin-coated tunnels, Peregrine sighs with a frown. Looking down at one of the piles on the ground, she draws her axe from her pack and cuts a branch from a nearby tree, poking, prodding, and striking the pile with the branch trying to glean what she can from the strange substance.

ZeroNumerous
2012-12-11, 09:22 PM
Beatrice

The blonde knight says nothing as the warforged explains what happened. It didn't really concern her, and she busied herself getting ready to move out immediately. After all, they needed to save those people as quickly as possible and dallying about would only result in their deaths. When the warforged takes to the sky she follows on foot. The group needed her around to act as their shield, and following the warforged into the sky would just leave them bereft of defenses. She sees no reason not to trust the warforged to lead them the right way, but a nagging doubt in the back of her mind causes her to question how the warforged survived. Did he fly away and abandon those down below to their fate? Or was he allowed to escape? Worse still, was he even in any danger to begin with?

Once the group arrives at the hill Beatrice draws her sword. When Peregrine starts approaching one of the tunnels the knight follows with her blade at the ready. The silvery-white sword has a stylized heart etched into the blade near the hilt. Beatrice keeps her voice low as she watches Peregrine test the material. After the girl finishes her tests Beatrice follows up with her own: She concentrates, and for a moment her blade is covered in cold mist that drips icicles like sweat. She rubs the ice-cold steel against the resin to see if it's affected by being frozen. Regardless of the results, Beatrice remains nearby Peregrine. "Do you think whatever is in there needs this stuff to survive? Or are they just redecorating because the current decor clashes with the drapes they brought?"

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-11, 09:49 PM
Mathitis follows the girls closely, his guisarme is drawn and now seems to flicker with electricity, his gauntlet seems to be the center of this effect and it glows a faint cerulean color. He follows closely at the ready, as they approach the tunnel, Mathitis approaches it to get a better look. He gazes into the depths of the tunnel trying to spot anything he can. Spot Check: [roll0]

Falconknight06
2012-12-13, 06:04 PM
KESTREL

Kestrel follows the group at the rear, his lack of armor necessitating a more long range fighting style for most of the time. He keeps his eyes peeled for any danger, though the resin intrigues him as it does the others. He searched his mind for any information he might have about anything like it

Knowledge (arcana)
[roll0]

Knowledge (nature)
[roll1]

Knowledge (history)
[roll2]

Bardic Knowledge
[roll3]

He also casts an acid splash spell on it to see what happens

Road_Runner
2012-12-13, 08:57 PM
Calcifer walks along also at the end of the group, keeping a watch for enemies as he clutches his gnarled oak staff.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Volthawk
2012-12-14, 03:39 PM
The resin is a dark red substance, tough enough to resist the poking and prodding without any disturbance. It smells somewhat of clay. It seems to have been placed there, although it seems to be very much stuck to the ground. When Peregrine pokes it, you all can hear very quiet squeaking noises inside the mounds. The acid spell wears away at the outer layer of the resin, exposing a lighter coloured substance within, and the quiet noises get louder and more rapid.

Kestrel

As you examine the resin, the stories of a Central Zone explorer come to mind, who mentioned to you that deep in the Zone, there are vast caverns filled with structures built by the inhabitants - swarms of insectoid aberrations - out of a substance they generated within their bodies. The rough description he gave from his observations seem to be quite similar to what you see here.

Calcifer/Mathitis

While the others examine the resin, you two notice movement down the tunnel. Between you and the source is a network of resin strands, somewhat more transparent than the stuff on the sides of the tunnel and in the mounds, although the unobstructed glimpses you get and the general shape suggests some kind of insectoid creature, reminiscent of ants.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-14, 04:48 PM
A chill is sent down Mathitis' spine as he spots the ant-like creatures in the tunnels. He readies his guisarme and faces the tunnel and shouts, "There's something in there! It looked something like an ant."

Saskia
2012-12-14, 05:54 PM
Peregrine laughs lightly at Beatrice's drapes joke, but answers I don't think it's food'r'nothin'. 'F'I had t'wager a guess, I'd say it's a natural secretion they use as a buildin' material, kin twixt a cedar's resin and termite cement in composition. She throws her stick aside and points with a silvery mail-covered arm at the tunnel where Mathitis stands. See how the stuff lines the tunnel? I'm willin' to bet the reason it's there is because inside they got a dense network o'tunnels'n'chambers what need more support than dirt gives'em. She lowers her arm and sighs, looking up at the sky. She continues, half answering Beatrice and half thinking aloud, If that's so, in that respect you might say they need it to live. Probably not entirely intelligent though, or they'd have proper doors. Overall looks a lot like a termite colony taking over. She shakes her head and looks back at Beatrice, her expression readily admitting ignorance. That noise is a new one on me though, I ain't never heard nothin' like it before except burnin' infested logs. At Mathitis' warning she draws her shield and sword and moves forward, prepared to intercept potential foes. Slightly nervously, she asks You got a lot'o stories, Kestrel, y'ever hear o'anything like this?

Readying a standard action for an attack when something comes into range if it seems hostile, casting shocking grasp with channel and swinging.

I have all of the identify creature knowledges at the same bonus (+17 when actually trying to identify a creature), so [roll0] to identify whatever creature it might be when I see one, and also for the benefit of Knowledge Devotion.

Falconknight06
2012-12-14, 08:21 PM
All I've heard is that there is a substance like this that these odd insect-things use to build vast underground city-like structures with. And if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this is it. Kestrel will say, drawing his cutlass and casting mage armor on himself in case combat happens

Road_Runner
2012-12-16, 01:25 AM
"Mathitis is right, there's something in the tunnel! We might want to investigate now, especially if they're hostile, before they can get reinforcements or set up a trap!" says Calcifer, pointing with his staff.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-16, 01:58 AM
Cautiously, Mathitis talks to the group while still facing the direction of the cave. "Does anyone have anything that could help us see into the tunnel, like a torch or something?"

Saskia
2012-12-16, 02:45 AM
Peregrine nods. She lets out a slow breath, and four brightly glowing lamplike lights appear around her and bob swimmingly into the tunnel, orbiting slowly in a circle as they do so. In a low voice she says Y'all see somethin' jus'hollar.

Dancing lights, picking the four lights that operate as torches option, moving at 40 feet per round until somebody sees something interesting, we can get a clear look at the creatures, or they hit the 160 foot distance cap. It's a SPA so somatic components are not an issue.

afrenchpenguin
2012-12-23, 12:00 AM
As the lights travel down the tunnel, Mathitis says in a quiet voice to the rest of the group, "Lets go." His voice is unusually quiet, what he says is barely audible, but audible nonetheless. He lowers his body and focuses on the tunnel trying to see anything he can as the lights move.

Spot: [roll0]