PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] A curse upon you!

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-27, 06:06 PM
Tomb Guardian
Size/Type: Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 2d12 (13 hp)
Initiative: -3 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft.
Armour Class: 11 (-3 dex, +4 chain shirt)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1
Attack: 2 claws +3 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +3 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Curse of the Raider, spawn guardian.
Special Qualities: Undead traits, damage reduction 5/bludgeoning.
Saves: Fort --, Ref -3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 4, Con Ø, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +2, Move Silently +2, Knowledge (nobility) +5, Knowledge (history) +5
Feats: Power Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Gang (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard.
Alignment: Always lawful evil.
Advancement: 3-4 (Medium), 5-8 (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

A great, terrible howling echoed through the room as the decreipt skeleton burst from the sarcophagus set into the wall of the crypt. Its hands were long and elongated, forming deadly claws, and into the forehead of its skull was set a glowing green jewel. "You come here to take the precious things of the fallen; a curse upon you, tomb robber!" it screamed.

The rich and wealthy fear for their bodies. They fear for what might happen to them if graverobbers break in and desecrate their tombs for what little treasure they might have. Created through dark magics, these unholy beasts remain utterly loyal to the family whose tomb they guard and are incapable of denying their orders. Bound to this tomb, they and any other arisen corpses defend it with their lives. But they are merely the nexus of a greater power, for they proclaim a curse upon all would-be graverobbers that allow them to multiply and chase down thieves of their masters' riches in great numbers and with great ferocity.

At first, they seem rather similar to an ordinary skeleton. As one offers closer examination, however, the differences become clear. The bones have a sleek, almost metallic sheen to them and are very sturdy compared to those of ordinary skeletons. They wear a shirt of dull metal chain, ragged and disintegrating. Their hands have become long and elongated, serving as crude claws, though some may be given weapons to use by their masters. Red points of light burn in their empty eye sockets like dark fire, hungry for the blood of those who intrude. In the fore of their skull, just above and between the eyes, is set a shining green jewel that remains visible even through the darkest of chambers, revealing their position to all.

Tomb Guardians speak Common and any languages they may have spoken in life.

Combat
Tomb Guardians, though hardly stupid, tend to become overwhelmed by a bloodlust during battle. Eager to unleash punishment upon those who can feel the pain they wish they could feel, they charge towards the opponent they perceive to be weakest and unleash a furious assault until either they or their foes are dead.

Curse of the Raider (Su): Those who enter a crypt with the intent to steal its contents become marked by the Tomb Guardian who guards it. This is a free action and offers no saving throw to resist or negate its abilities. Though a Tomb Guardian will kill any who enters its lair, if it feels that the treasure it protects is threatened, the curse offers not only a reminder to itself of the danger the intruder represents, but also serves as a beacon. If someone marked by the Raider's curse takes any treasure from the Guardian's tomb, he instantly begins to attract attention from the bodies of would-be tomb raiders who had fallen. Every day, the cursed subject rolls 1d20. On a result of a 1, 1d4 Tomb Guardians rise from the ground within one mile of the cursed individuals position, moving to hunt it down. If the cursed individual sells or hands over their treasure to another being, the curse changes hands with the item. The new owner becomes subject to the effects of the curse. If the items stolen are returned to the crypt, whoever was cursed by them is freed. This curse may be dispelled by a remove curse spell.

Create Spawn (Su): Anyone killed by a Tomb Guardian may become subject to transformation. If they entered the Guardian's lair with intent to steal treasure, a terrible process begins in the corpse. Seven days after the individual's death, green flames lick at the corpse, burning it down until only bones remain; a single green jewel appears in their skull, and red pinpoints begin to burn within their eyeless sockets. They become a Tomb Guardian, loyal only to the owner of that Tomb. This ability may only affect non-dwarf, medium-sized individuals. Their previous race and class is lost and they become a Tomb Guardian as detailed above. If a raise dead, reincarnate, ressurection or true ressurection spell is used before the transformation is complete, the process is instantly reversed and negated. If the body is on hallowed ground, the transformation's progress is suppressed temporarily, but will continue anew if removed from the hallowed ground. A remove curse spell cast on the body will dispel the effect.

----- -=-=- ----- -=-=- -----

Let me know what you think. CR2 is just a guesstimation, so it may not be correct. Any input on it would be very helpful. :)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-30, 09:45 AM
Any comments? Any at all? Come on guys, I need to use this fellow in an upcoming game. XP

Rapida
2006-10-30, 09:50 AM
Only thing that would worry me is the curse. I mean how can it be removed besides selling the item? Getting Remove Curse spells may be above a level 2 party's abilities.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-30, 10:02 AM
It's good flavour anyhow.
Would returning what you stole remove the curse?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-30, 10:33 AM
I didn't mention that, but I would say as a DM that yes, it would. I'll edit it to include that returning items you have stolen removes the curse.

And yes, I should say that Remove Curse will get rid of the curse, but honestly getting someone else to take the item gets the curse away from you; it's not that hard to ditch, it's just surviving the initial realisation that it's cursed that's the problem.

Rapida
2006-10-30, 11:59 AM
Yea but some good players wouldnt want to ditch the curse on some innocent npc

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-30, 12:02 PM
It isn't supposed to be easy being good y'know.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-30, 01:17 PM
Once again proving that the evil players get off lucky. ;D

If the good players really feel guilty, then they can just go return the item to the tomb.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-30, 01:29 PM
And your average pc will want to give it to some poor fool. For a profit.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-30, 01:31 PM
True, true. Though the paladin might have something to say about that. And honestly, there's only a 5% chance per day of them even REALISING that the items are cursed. And hey, they might not even realise its linked to the items. It's highly likely the PCs would end up passing the items on without ever finding out about the curse.

sigurd
2006-11-09, 01:25 PM
I like it.

Can I ask the dangerous question? Does it have to be evil? Why not a construct to protect the bodies of the deceased.

How 'good' are those pesky tomb robbers when they are taking stuff from the dead????

I like the creature.

Sigurd

XtheYeti
2006-11-09, 01:37 PM
Undead=Evil, Where do the Other Guardians come from? Are all of them linked some how?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-11-11, 12:57 PM
Not all undead are evil, but these are evil simply because of their sheer hatred for living things. As to where they come from, the ones created by the curse are essentially fragments of the original one, bound by the curse until their death. The original ones are created either by death by Tomb Guardian or by a spell I plan to create in the future.