PDA

View Full Version : New Races [City Plane]

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-27, 10:26 PM
Halcyon Dax cries out for aid!

For the past few months I have been working on a new campaign world that takes place on the City Plane, Ark.

In summary, arc is the last bastion of existance. Created by the gods moments before their (yep, all gods) untimely deaths, Ark is immense, populated by almost every type of sentient lifeform to ever have existed. For various reasons, no creature is bound to a specific alignment anymore, and many immortal things have been made mortal (See: Lots of Outsiders).

Obviously that is a grossly tiny summary of a long story (which makes sense, i promise) so TRY not to judge it too soon! Ill be posting the full thing once I have it all typed up.

OKAY, On to my real conundrum!

I want there to be a good selection of playable races. The whole of the normal playable races + Orcs, but also a selection of outsider based races.
Ideally I could drop aasimar and teifling and get a race from each branch of aligned outsiders (Devil, Demon, Eladrin, Archon, Guardinal, Neutral Evil guys?).

The thing is: Im damn crappy at creating races, and I have oft been impressed by the awsome creatures and races on this board.

Things to keep in mind: The races, while based on aligned outsiders, now are not considered outsiders, and are no longer stuck in their alignment (Chaotic Evil Hound Archon Barbarian?) Additionally, It would be good if the races could stay within LA0 or LA1.

And so, I cry out! Will some awsome homebrewer anwser my plea?!

(Vorpal Tribble, Demented one, Fax Celestis, I prostrate myself before you, cookie offering in hand)

The Demented One
2006-10-27, 10:59 PM
Here are some rough mechanical outlines on the celestial races. I'll write up some more flavory stuff once I find my race template, which is lurking somewhere on the boards.

Tabrieli
Born from archons imbued with the power of free will, the Tabrieli–singular Tabriel–are no less noble than their planar ancestors.

+2 Wis, -2 Con. The Tabrieli are insightful, but their ephemeral nature leaves them wan and somewhat weak.
Outsider. Tabrieli are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Menace (Su): Once per day, a Tabrieli can unleash a burst of menace as a standard action. A single enemy within 10 ft. of it must make a Will save, DC 10 + ½ the Tabrieli’s HD + the Tabrieli’s Cha modifier, or be shaken for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect.
A Tabrieli gets a +2 racial bonus on all saves against petrification, and poison effects.
A Tabrieli gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Tanar'ri.
A Tabrieli gets a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks.
Archon Blood: For all effects related to race, a Tabrieli is considered an Archon.
Automatic Languages: Celestial and Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran Draconic, Ignan, Infernal, Terran.
Favored Class: Cleric.

Soulkin
Guardinals given humanoid form, the Soulkin retain only faint traces of their once-animalistic appearance, though their virtue is no less for it.

+2 Dex, -2 Int. Soulkin have animal-like agility, but do not take well to academic matters.
Outsider. Soulkin are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Scent
Spell-Like Abilities: A Soulkin may use charm animal and detect animals and plants once per day each as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to its class level.
A Soulkin gets a +2 racial bonus on all saves against petrification.
A Soulkin gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Yugoloths.
A Soulkin gets a +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Survival checks.
Guardinal Blood: For all effects related to race, a Soulkin is considered a Guardinal.
Automatic Languages: Celestial, Common, and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Elven, Infernal, Gnoll, Gnomish
Favored Class: Ranger.

Euia
Ephemral eladrins bound to the material, the Euia retain the wonder and creativity of their ancestry, married with a furthered sense of pragmatism and practicality.

+2 Cha, -2 Wis. Euia are creative, but lack common sense.
Outsider. Euia are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Sense Tyranny (Su): Once per day, by touching a creature, a Euia may determine if that creature is under the effect of a compulsion or charm effect. The creature may attempt a Bluff check, opposed by the Euia’s Sense Motive check, to hide its status.
Spell-Like Abilities: A Euia may use dancing lights and ghost sound once per day each as spell-like abilities with caster level equal to its class level.
An Euia gets a +2 racial bonus on all saves against petrification.
An Euia gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Baatezu.
An Euia gets a +2 racial bonus on all Craft and Perform checks.
Eladrin Blood: For all effects related to race, an Euia is considered an Eladrin.
Automatic Languages: Celestial and Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran Draconic, Ignan, Infernal, Terran.
Favored Class: Bard.

The Demented One
2006-10-27, 11:21 PM
The neutrals...

Cartesials
Modrons built into things of flesh, the Cartesials are just as rational and orderly as before, but have been liberated from the rigid, axiomatic hierarchy of modronkind.

+2 Int, -2 Cha. Cartesials are highly intelligent, but are used to being dominated by their superiors.
Outsider. Cartesials are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Repair (Su): A Cartesial can repair constructs and items by touching them. Each day, it can heal a total amount of hp equal to its class level times it Int modifier, which may be spread out through multiple uses of this ability as it chooses.
A Cartesial gets a +2 racial bonus on all saves against mind-affecting abilities.
A Cartesial gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Slaadi.
A Cartesial gets a +2 racial bonus on all Knowledge checks.
Modron Blood: For all effects related to race, a Cartesial is considered a Modron.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Infernal, Terran.
Favored Class: Wizard.

Stoimachs
Born from the enigmatic, neutrals that are the Rilmani, the Stoimachs are both like and opposite humanity. Though they are unclouded by any one alignment, having truly free will, they are said to be tainted, almost, with neutrality.

+2 Con, -2 Dex. While hardy and enduring, Stoimachs lack grace and finesse.
Outsider. Stoimachs are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Broad Knowledge: At first level, a Stoimach chooses two skills. It gets a +2 racial bonus on each of those skills, and they are always class skills for it.
Martial Training: All Stoimachs have been trained in warfare at least a little. All Stoimachs begin play with a single bonus feat, chosen from the list of Fighter bonus feat. They must meet all the feat's requirements to take it.
Sense Alignment (Su): A Stoimach can use this ability at will. It functions as detect evil, except that it detects auras of all alignments. It cannot differentiate between auras of different alignments–it only detects their magnitude.
Rilmani Blood: For all effects related to race, a Stoimach is considered a Rilmani.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Infernal, Terran.
Favored Class: Fighter.

Entroi
Slaadi forced into a fixed form, the ever-chaotic Entroi are anarchists and mischief-makers through and through. Though they no longer bear the frog-like form of their ancestors, they retain a reptilian manner, which can be somewhat off-putting.

+2 Str, -2 Int. While physically powerful, Entroi do not do well with advanced concepts.
Outsider. Entroi are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Darkvision 60 ft.
Startling Croak (Su): Once per day, a Entroi may croak loudly. A single enemy within 10 ft. of it must then make a Will save, DC 10 + ½ the Entroi’s class level + the Entroi’s Cha modifier, or be dazed for 1 round. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect.
An Entroi gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Modrons.
An Entroi gets a +2 racial bonus on all Climb and Jump checks.
Slaad Blood: For all effects related to race, an Entroi is considered a Slaad.
Favored Class: Barbarian.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-27, 11:31 PM
These races you've posted! They are things of beauty! Thanks a ton.

Also, allow me to clarify a little about the nature of these races on the City Plane.

They are merely the decendents of these outsiders made mortal, hence, the majority of their physical features (aside from unnatural physical powers). In no way have they been made MORE human, and appearance wise, look like they looked before, albeit slightly devolved (Ex: Vestigial wings, Much less physically imposing, medium sized). However, guardinals would appear very much like the guardinals pictured in the MM.

THAT ISNT TO SAY THAT THESE DO NOT ROCK IN EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY!

I'm certain I will use some of them, and I would love to credit you. (If you want to be credited with your real name, PM me, or if you dont want to be credited. This campaign setting will probably have a limited run: i.e. my campus, but none the less!)

The Demented One
2006-10-27, 11:41 PM
And the fiends. Are these any good for what you're trying to do? It's late, so their balance is probably a bit off.

Inferi
Though stripped of their true devilish power, the Inferi remain just as devious and subtle. Cunning and deadly, they plot and plan with each waking hour.

+2 Dex, -2 Str. Though graceful, the Inferi still lack physical strength.
Outsider. Inferi are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Combat Guile: An Inferus can feint in combat as a move action. If it has the Improved Feint feat, it may instead feint as a swift action.
Poison Use: An Inferus never risks accidentally poisoning itself when applying poison to a weapon.
See in Darkness: An Inferus can see perfectly in both magical and mundane darkness.
An Inferus gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Eladrin.
An Inferus has a +2 racial bonus on all Bluff and Disguise checks.
Infernal Blood: For all effects related to race, a Inferus is considered a Baatezu.
Automatic Languages: Common and Infernal. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Terran.
Favored Class: Rogue.

Lucretians
Yugoloths forced into mundane shapes, the Lucretians are greedy, power-hungry mercenaries just as their ancestors were.

+2 Cha, -2 Con. Cunning and convincing, the Lucretians do not handle violence well.
Outsider. Lucretians are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Fascinating Patter (Su): Once per day, a Lucretian may unleash a wave of hypnotic suggestion. Once creature within 10 ft. of it must make a Will save, DC 10 + ½ the Lucretian’s class level + the Lucretian’s Cha modifier, or be fascinated for 1d3 rounds. This is a mind-affecting ability.
Sorcerous Talent: All Lucretians know a single 0th level spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list, which they may use once per day as a spell-like ability, with caster level equal to their class level. At 4th level, they made trade it out for a 1st level spell; at 8th level, they may trade it out for a 2nd level spell; at 12th level; they made trade it out for a 3rd level spell; at 16th level, they may trade it out for a 4th level spell; and finally, at 20th level, they may trade it out for a 5th level spell.
A Lucretian has a +2 racial bonus on saves against poison.
A Lucretian gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Guardinals.
A Lucretian gets a +2 racial bonus on all Bluff and Diplomacy checks.
Yugoloth Blood: For all effects related to race, a Lucretian is considered a Yugoloth.
Automatic Languages: Abyssal, Common, Infernal. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Terran.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.

Daunts
Demons stripped of their abyssal savagery, the Daunts remained fierce and bloodthirsty fighters. They take an almost sadistic level of pleasure in violence and pain.

+2 Str, -2 Wis. While fierce and might, the Daunts are anything but sane..
Outsider. Daunts are Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Medium size.
Base land speed 30 ft.
Flaming Fury (Su): Any weapon a Daunt wields burst into wicked flame. It overcomes damage reduction as if it was evil-aligned, and deals an additional point of fire damage on a successful hit.
A Daunt gets a +2 racial bonus on all saves against poison.
A Daunt gets a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Archons.
A Daunt gets a +4 racial bonus on all Intimidate and Jump checks.
Abyssal Blood: For all effects related to race, a Daunt is considered a Tanar'ri.
Automatic Languages: Abyssal, Common. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Infernal Terran.
Favored Class: Barbarian.

The Demented One
2006-10-27, 11:43 PM
They are merely the decendents of these outsiders made mortal, hence, the majority of their physical features (aside from unnatural physical powers). In no way have they been made MORE human, and appearance wise, look like they looked before, albeit slightly devolved (Ex: Vestigial wings, Much less physically imposing, medium sized). However, guardinals would appear very much like the guardinals pictured in the MM.
Tried to leave the appearance and so on as generic impossible, so you could do as you please with them. Feel free to use whatever flavor you like, as mine's just the first thing that came to my sleep-lacking brain.

I'm certain I will use some of them, and I would love to credit you. (If you want to be credited with your real name, PM me, or if you dont want to be credited. This campaign setting will probably have a limited run: i.e. my campus, but none the less!)
Ah, no need for that. It's all freely given for anyone to use.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-28, 12:18 AM
You, Sir, are for the win.

I have taken the liberty of drawing you this delicious reward cookie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/greyscale_/rewardcookie.gif

Enjoy!

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 08:57 PM
Would you mind if I bumped then down to LA +0 versions? I've never been fond of LA creatures, and I think they'd be better at that slightly weaker level.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-29, 01:40 AM
By all means, please do. LA is awful.

Enjoy that cookie.

Jarl
2006-10-29, 02:34 AM
What would a psuedonatural look like?
Oh yeah, like a dead horse crossed with a bicycle and an octopus then the yankees game was canc❅elled due to a heavy rain of blarglebuglnerbifsadkhjhaiyiy!!!!!❆hizzibitckatruo vjkasd and i can't agree more with your summary of the situation captain, but witness the extent of my mercy by witne❉ssing your deformed FACE THE INFECTION WHICH POISONS OUR gurlglejhskhj or something like that, dunno, been a while since I read the MM.

-Might be cool to have a "de-weirdified" Far Planes inhabitant, in other words.

The Demented One
2006-10-29, 09:31 AM
Okay, got it done.