PDA

View Full Version : What DO we really want to see? [TV / Movies]

Drakeburn
2012-11-28, 11:36 AM
I thought as though that I need to put this up.

I mean, it is such a pain that Hollywood gives us Twilight, inaccurate movies based on novels, and others.

Although the Hobbit and Wreck - It - Ralph are pretty good, and so is the Grimm television series.

But seriously: what do WE WANT to watch?

Thinker
2012-11-28, 11:55 AM
Good acting, clever dialog, interesting stories.

loopy
2012-11-28, 12:00 PM
A HBO version of the Dresden Files series. Only they could do it justice.

Shame it'll likely never happen. :smallfrown:

Eldan
2012-11-28, 12:05 PM

That. Gimme that, and I have everything I want. Though I'll also take more David Tennant as Doctor Who, if I can't have Dresden.

Tvtyrant
2012-11-28, 12:06 PM
I want to see a movie where a group of natives is the good guy without a nordic/NW European man at the helm. I don't care if it is Greeks defending themselves against Persians or Space Aliens vs. Humans (or even space aliens vs. space aliens) but if I see one more John Carter the World Fixing White Man one more time I am going to scream! Dances with Wolves was a good movie, but there is no need to remake it every year.

I wouldn't mind seeing the opposite either; a movie about an imperialist government that argues from a pragmatic instead of nationalist point of view.

I would also like to see a disaster movie set in Pompeii. Films have proven they can make HD disaster effects with movies like The Day after Tomorrow and 2012.

oblivion6
2012-12-01, 02:35 PM
Oh where to start...

a movie series for all books of David Eddings.

an RPG set in the world of David Eddings Begariad/Mallorean and another set in the Tamuli/Elenium

New dragonlance movies(They made a cartoon version of one of them, but nothing after that...)

Movies or perhaps an anime series of the Suikoden games.

Drakeburn
2012-12-01, 04:53 PM
New dragonlance movies(They made a cartoon version of one of them, but nothing after that...)

Yeah, they definitely need to do a MAJOR REDO on the Dragonlance series.

Honestly, how on earth can they make a good Game of Thrones series, but cannot make good Dragonlance movies?

This is what I call, AN OUTRAGE!!!!

Lord Seth
2012-12-02, 11:24 PM
"We" is unclear. Do you mean "we" as in the general public? Or "we" as in just the people here?

The answer seems pretty simple, though, for all of them. We want to see stuff we enjoy. I watch shows I enjoy. It's pretty simple. The films/book/shows/etc. that are successful are the ones that a sufficiently high amount of people enjoy.

Feytalist
2012-12-03, 02:36 AM
I just want more Mushishi episodes to be made, in exactly the same style and atmosphere as the originals. For ever.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-03, 03:02 AM
A good show about a group of MMORPG gamers that somehow open a portal to their computer fantasy world releasing monsters and powerful magical foes. Now it's up to them to stop the baddies using weapons and magical items from the MMO in real life and save the world

Now, I know what you're thinking: doesn't that already exist? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_Up_%28TV_series%29) Nope, it doesn't. Because I said "a good show.":smallwink:

oblivion6
2012-12-03, 11:50 AM
A good show about a group of MMORPG gamers that somehow open a portal to their computer fantasy world releasing monsters and powerful magical foes. Now it's up to them to stop the baddies using weapons and magical items from the MMO in real life and save the world

Because I said "a good show.":smallwink:

I agree completely. I didnt like the other show you referenced either.

DigoDragon
2012-12-03, 12:19 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind watching a "First Contact" TV series where the aliens (and the Humans) aren't all evil. The aliens are explorers and they wouldn't mind meeting us, and vice-versa, but it would be interesting to see a mix of alignments on both sides. Some aliens and Humans can see this meeting as a benefit to both sides, while there are those looking to exploit the snot out of each other.

Maybe it works better if the aliens' world is also no more unified than ours. I could see several ships arriving over the course of days/weeks because they were having a Space Race on who can successfully make a round trip with a FTL drive. The Sol System was the chosen target because the system has an abundance of water/ice bearing planets for refueling (They just didn't realize the 3rd planet had intelligent life).

DomaDoma
2012-12-03, 12:50 PM
I want something optimistic, but in a practical, down-to-earth sort of way. The reason TVTropes used to call it the Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Realism is that most optimistic stories are all rolled up in the confectioner's sugar of magical thinking.

To that end, I especially want a TV series for Michael Flynn's Firestar series, but I know perfectly well there are too many zero-gravity scenes to hack it on the cheap.

I mean, unless private space enterprise really gets rolling, and if it does, Firestar is - well, still inspiring, yes, but kind of redundant.

Hopeless
2012-12-03, 03:14 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind watching a "First Contact" TV series where the aliens (and the Humans) aren't all evil. The aliens are explorers and they wouldn't mind meeting us, and vice-versa, but it would be interesting to see a mix of alignments on both sides. Some aliens and Humans can see this meeting as a benefit to both sides, while there are those looking to exploit the snot out of each other.

Maybe it works better if the aliens' world is also no more unified than ours. I could see several ships arriving over the course of days/weeks because they were having a Space Race on who can successfully make a round trip with a FTL drive. The Sol System was the chosen target because the system has an abundance of water/ice bearing planets for refueling (They just didn't realize the 3rd planet had intelligent life).

I'd like a series where humanity finally ventures out into the galaxy and discover there is intelligent life out there but something wiped them out about round the time the dinosaurs were wiped out on Earth...

Eventually reveal the real menace is that a precursor to humanity created the first nanotech life form but it inherited its creator's failings and ended up in a catclysmic war with every succeeding race accidentally awakening the menace and its repeated however some of its creator's race survived to reach Earth only they never managed to rebuild their civilisation and all that was left was the technological wonders they and their successors left behind.

The funny part is that humanity does awaken the nanotech but survive each confrontation although they end up fleeing out of their home system after the nanotech succeed in destroying earth.

The series starts off after a disaster has left the surviving human nations in an uneasy truce and the main cast eventually have to rediscover what happened before it happens again...

Sort of outcast but where they had to work with their rivals rather than what they actually showed... hope that didn't spoil anything for those of you who haven't watched it!

Oh and I wouldn't mind a Mass Effect tv series if you were wondering!:smallbiggrin:

Earth 2 was ok and better than Outcast because at least they dealt with how and why they went where they were going instead of making it look like they sent people who chose to do this rather than film Prometheus instead!:smallwink:

I've only read a few of the dresden books but still liked the tv series!:smallamused:

Only problem I see is a predomination to make it pro whatever nations makes it and that isn't needed in fact it could be used as the reason they're the bad guys in certain situations so if you do try a Traveller 2300 series please don't overdo the french ok?

The Leon from the Godzilla movie was fine, but please remember America is not the only nation on the planet even if a certain cosmonaut showed up everyone in Armageddon (and was a pleasant surprise!)

Is it bad of me to wish someone would make a short sci-fi movie based on the Curiosity Rover where you discover the samples its picking up is intelligent life and they now think humanity is seriously sociopathic and they've just picked up an ideal means of payback thanks to a television program broadcasted several decades ago called Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons...:smallbiggrin:

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-03, 06:22 PM
What I would really like to see is a tv show/game/story/thingy that involves some sort of fantasy-ish setting, but one on an alien world and completely devoid of humans. No humans, at all; not from space, in the past, in the future, just none at all, and let the fantasy alien world speak for itself. (It would probably not be able to be a live-action thing due to budgetary constriants...)

(To be fair, MLP is actually a reasonable spitting distance of that idea, but isn't quite an alien enough setting (though it's far and away beyond most). But it is also proof of the fact I've known for years; you don't NEED humans to tell a story, especially as a "relatable" reference point; a good character is a good character, regardless of species. (And I'm also not suggesting the aliens be so alien as to be incomprehensible; perhaps seeming a bit "foreign" sometimes, yes, but not completely impenetrable.)

Drakeburn
2012-12-03, 08:42 PM

Now, I know what you're thinking: doesn't that already exist? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_Up_%28TV_series%29) Nope, it doesn't. Because I said "a good show.":smallwink:

Yeah. We don't have any good "gamer" shows on television. The only gaming related thing that is good to watch is "The Guild". And it is on the internet!

Avilan the Grey
2012-12-04, 02:46 AM
Long list!

First of all I want Knights Of Badassdom to actually be relased in theatres.

Second... NO MORE ZOMBIES!!! EVER!!!

Third: The Dresden files... was co-written and approved by Butcher, and still was not good. HBO would not make a difference. I want instead a full movie series based on the Furies Of Calderon series. One movie per book.

Fourth: I want Chuck Lorre to pull Big Bang Theory back to where it used to be, about a group of nerds doing nerdy things. The last 2 seasons have been focused too much on the girls, and even when the guys are in focus it is too much about girls, about relationships and normal things. Chuck said back in season 1 that if he could write the same story in any other sitcom, they shouldn't do it on Big Bang because that is not what the show is about. And yet many of the storylines now could just as well have taken place on 2½ men or Mike & Molly.

Fifth: A well made and well funded TV series based on the Discworld books.

Sixth: A well made and well funded Mass Effect TV series.

Seventh: A documentary series about the 30 year war, filmed on location in all countries and narrated from everybody's perspective (sort of the really good documentary about Calippoli where one British and one Turkish narrator shifted perspective back and forth, but maybe 10-12 parts, 1 hour shows, with Polish, Austrian, French, Swedish, Danish etc etc narrators).

...I'll be back with more. Soon.

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-04, 07:07 AM
Fifth: A well made and well funded TV series based on the Discworld books.

We may be getting that, as apparently, the BBC are doing a Discworld series (The Watch (AKA CSI:Ankh-Morpork), based on...the obvious, apparently picking up the story after the books left off, and is co-written by Rhianna Pratchett.

So one feels that is probably at least starting off from pretty much the best standpoint it could get, so I'm very hopeful (especially as the Watch are my favourites.)

DigoDragon
2012-12-04, 07:41 AM
(To be fair, MLP is actually a reasonable spitting distance of that idea, but isn't quite an alien enough setting (though it's far and away beyond most). But it is also proof of the fact I've known for years; you don't NEED humans to tell a story, especially as a "relatable" reference point; a good character is a good character, regardless of species.

I agree! Having a no-human cast would work perfectly well as long as you have compelling three-dimensional characters for people to relate to.

tbok1992
2012-12-04, 12:24 PM
Whelp, might as well repost these two "things I wanna see" from the B-Movie thread.

Also, as a bit of an aside, I had this concept for a "sexy" B-movie about two outcast high school students transforming into bizarre yet attractive monster forms (The girl's form being more demon-like and the guy's form being more arthropodlike) due to the influence of another dimension in sort of a weird yet sweet love story, as sort of a /d/-inspired anti-Twilight, and I was wondering if anybody would ever want to see that movie made? It'd be a better/less horrible way to combine sex and weird monsters than, say, sexual assault by a giant maggot* that's for sure.

And, to put us back on topic, anybody heard of Rocky Horror Shows His Heels (http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/glampire99/rockyheels.html)? It was supposed to be the real sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show, but was cancelled due to several factors.

I mention this because all of its songs were cannibalized for the eventual pseudo-sequel/"Not a sequel but an equal"** film "Shock Treatment", so if one were a good enough playwright, one could use the plot summary and Shock Treatment songs to reconstruct Rocky Horror Shows His Heels for the Stage. I've planned to do this myself someday, the keyword being "someday.

*There actually is a B-movie where that happens, supposedly to add sex to the film at Roger Corman's insistence. Bonus points if you can name the film.
**Which is a blatant lie by the way, but enough said

And, I almost forgot to mention the main villain of the "Sexy B/(/d/)-Movie" is a corrupt high-up at the CIA who is hunting our lovers and his high-ranking agent flunky who'd presumably be played by the film's "requisite c-list star."

Said flunky would be so obsessed with coffee that he actually injects himself with it (At one point injecting it straight into his eye), have a relatively sympathetic backstory as to why he's doing this involving android love, and eventually making a Heel-face turn at the film's climax.

Also, for another movie I'd like to see: Guilliermo Del Toro's Inhumanoids. Make it happen Hasbro!

And speaking of toys, since a lot of feminists complain about women-targeted media not helping to get women into science, I'd love to see a toyline that's essentially "Space Opera Barbie"

The character would be a Star-Trek like officer (Allowing for both social and action-related play), and the Sci-fi would be relatively hard, with each figure, playset, vehicle or outfit coming with a book that explains their role in-setting and the real-life science they're extrapolating from to make it work.

The aliens would be non-humanoid, but look like more of a "cute" kind of weird than a "monstrous" kind of weird. The required "weird-looking humanoids" role would be filled by various transhuman and cyborg characters.

Hey, I'd buy it, and I'm a guy.

Hopeless
2012-12-04, 12:29 PM
Well you could have a movie based on the Honey Switchblade but even if I got the name right it would be so inherently awesome that it could never be done!

Seriously check it out!

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-04, 12:38 PM

Justice? Not really. Murphy would be naked in every other episode.

Yora
2012-12-04, 12:40 PM
Good acting, clever dialog, interesting stories.
Everything that is expensive, carters to narrowed down segments of the potential audience, requires a long-term financial commitment, and involves uncertainty about longterm profits.

kpenguin
2012-12-04, 12:49 PM
The survival, nay, flourishing of scripted television under the continous onslaught of nonscripted television

Kitten Champion
2012-12-04, 01:13 PM
I can't think of any space operas or far-future science fiction on television anymore, with the possible exception of Doctor Who and the Star Wars animations. I'd like to see a new IP, something with depth and an intriguing plot sufficient to capture my interest, like BSG or Stargate: Universe.

I'd wish there was a television channel which is nothing but Youtube videos of adorable animals, preferably cats.

I'd like to see a television series premised on first contact between humans and aliens which doesn't devolve into a malevolent invasion story -- but genuinely deals with the repercussions of discovering and interacting with technically advanced extra-terrestrials across the world. None of that benevolent saviour nonsense either.

Avilan the Grey
2012-12-05, 02:59 AM
Justice? Not really. Murphy would be naked in every other episode.

How about Lara? And the Fairy queens? And...

Hmmm I might have to vote in favor for this one after all.

Jayngfet
2012-12-05, 06:29 AM
{scrubbed}

Hopeless
2012-12-05, 06:51 AM
{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

What upcoming Amazon show?

Seventh: A documentary series about the 30 year war, filmed on location in all countries and narrated from everybody's perspective (sort of the really good documentary about Calippoli where one British and one Turkish narrator shifted perspective back and forth, but maybe 10-12 parts, 1 hour shows, with Polish, Austrian, French, Swedish, Danish etc etc narrators).

This sounds very interesting would be interesting to see how each side viewed the same conflict.

Avilan the Grey
2012-12-05, 07:04 AM
This sounds very interesting would be interesting to see how each side viewed the same conflict.

My point exactly. I can really recommend the documenatary about Calippoli I mentioned above, btw. I don't remember what it was called, unfortunately.

Jayngfet
2012-12-05, 07:08 AM

They've been trying to get a Wonder Woman show off the ground for a while now. While the one before that was kinda crap as well, this is hardly better (http://movieline.com/2012/11/30/cw-amazon-casting-wonder-woman-justice-league/).

Kitten Champion
2012-12-05, 07:08 AM

This (http://collider.com/wonder-woman-tv-show-cw-amazon/193777/), I assume.

I don't think Smallville was particularly grounded.

Cheesegear
2012-12-05, 07:17 AM

But it does exist. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Lightning)

Drakeburn
2012-12-05, 12:17 PM
But it does exist. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Lightning)

Why can't THIS show be on cartoon network?

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-05, 12:22 PM
Generally, anything that I happen to end up enjoying. :smallbiggrin: Whether it's in the vein of the Godfather, Kung Fu Panda, War of the Arrows, or the Quiet American.

And, I'd be interested in seeing more films without any human characters at all.

tbok1992
2012-12-05, 12:43 PM
Well, I've posted this idea in several other places, so I might as well repost it here:

I actually had an idea for a zombie setting using Romeros idea of the zombies getting smarter and smarter as time goes on until they eventually get smart enough to try and make peace with the humans, sort of more action-drama-comedy due to the negotiations and intrigue than horror.

The main theme of it would be how the negotiations would force both societies to confront issues of classism in their own societies. For the humans the classism would be the typical "Poor live in shantytowns, rich live in uber-skyscrapers" dealie, but for the zombies it'd be due to the fact that there are are various different types of zombie ala Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead, with a hierarchy based on the powerfulness of their mutations and a strict forbiddance on experimenting on one's self to try and induce said mutations for fear that it'd disrupt the class hierarchy.

If I were going to make this into a game, the protagonists would be a male human "noble" with a conscience and a renegade female zombie who makes a living breaking that law against self-experimentation, forced to join together to investigate a sinister plot involving a drug that makes zombies nigh-indestrutable but also gives them a craving for human brains (Ala Return of the Living Dead). Also, it'd be more like a classic Lucas Arts adventure game than a survival horror one.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-05, 12:45 PM
I can't think of any space operas or far-future science fiction on television anymore, with the possible exception of Doctor Who and the Star Wars animations. I'd like to see a new IP, something with depth and an intriguing plot sufficient to capture my interest, like BSG or Stargate: Universe.
That's actually a really good idea.

Tal_Akaan
2012-12-05, 06:38 PM
I want a live action super hero show that's just shameless crime fighting and evil busting.

What I hate more than anything else about the Genre is that after Nolan/Smallville came around everybody seems to love the idea of a grounded superhero without questioning why.
{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Arrow is actually one of my favorite new shows, and I don't feel the least bit terrible about it.

Jayngfet
2012-12-05, 07:29 PM
Arrow is actually one of my favorite new shows, and I don't feel the least bit terrible about it.

...why?

The acting is wooden and cliche ridden. The plot is as poorly written as the characters, the action is stiff, and it has nothing to do with Green Arrow outside the names of about three characters.

blackspeeker
2012-12-05, 07:34 PM
I would really like to see the final season of community, NBC wants to continue jerking me around. Yes I realize it wont be the same without Harmon.

Also Y the Last Man would be really cool to see as a TV show, provided it is more akin to Jericho and The Walking Dead than Revolution.

Cheesegear
2012-12-06, 12:33 AM
Why can't [Ace Lightning] be on cartoon network?

Well, it is ten years old. I remember watching it in high school. However, after three seconds of searching, I found pretty much all of it on YouTube.

Tal_Akaan
2012-12-06, 12:53 PM
...why?

The acting is wooden and cliche ridden. The plot is as poorly written as the characters, the action is stiff, and it has nothing to do with Green Arrow outside the names of about three characters.

Beside the fact that I don't agree with your criticisms, I just enjoy it. It entertains me and I don’t think someone should be made to feel bad about enjoying something. And telling people that they should feel bad about enjoying something just projects an elitist attitude that tells me no matter what reasons I give for liking something you will continue to look down your nose at me and anybody else that likes something that you don’t.

Jayngfet
2012-12-06, 07:11 PM
Beside the fact that I don't agree with your criticisms, I just enjoy it. It entertains me and I don’t think someone should be made to feel bad about enjoying something. And telling people that they should feel bad about enjoying something just projects an elitist attitude that tells me no matter what reasons I give for liking something you will continue to look down your nose at me and anybody else that likes something that you don’t.

{scrubbed}

Tal_Akaan
2012-12-06, 09:24 PM
If you think that, give actual reasons other than "I just like it". Or give reasons you think I'm wrong. Crying elitisim and delivering that kind of non-argument is childish.

That's just it, I don't think you are wrong for not liking it. I think you are wrong for saying someone should feel "terrible" for liking it. I'm not trying to change your opinion of the show, I don't really care that you don't like it.

Why do I have to give reasons why I like something? I just enjoy it. Why is that not enough?

Roland St. Jude
2012-12-06, 09:25 PM
Sheriff: This is a general Warning to be more civil in this thread. Insulting others or making trollish posts are not permitted, regardless of the language used or underlying subject matter.

tbok1992
2012-12-16, 12:45 PM
I'd personally love to see 13 new episodes of Lidsville, at first looking like/being promoted as a straight revival, but as it goes on it slowly becomes something horrifying ala Candle Cove. After all, the show did (Sort of) inspire said Creepypasta.

Drakeburn
2012-12-17, 02:38 PM
I would actually like to see a vampire film where vampires are actually scary, rather than sexy. I mean, what is it with sexy vampires?

tbok1992
2012-12-17, 03:59 PM
I actually had an idea for the opposite, where the vampire is a good-guy monster hunter, but instead of being a brooding prettyboy, he's a cheesy classical Lugosi-type vampire who atones for his past sins by kicking ass. And his arch-nemesis would be a rich man who is secretly the evil counterpart to El Santo, known as El Puta De Diablo/The Man in the Uranium Mask (The color would basically be grey with a sickly green glow).

Ramza00
2012-12-17, 08:00 PM
I actually had an idea for the opposite, where the vampire is a good-guy monster hunter, but instead of being a brooding prettyboy, he's a cheesy classical Lugosi-type vampire who atones for his past sins by kicking ass. And his arch-nemesis would be a rich man who is secretly the evil counterpart to El Santo, known as El Puta De Diablo/The Man in the Uranium Mask (The color would basically be grey with a sickly green glow).
Maybe I am not understanding your request, but hasn't this been done many times before (maybe not to your satisfaction.)

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Trinity Blood
Hellsing
Blade

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HunterOfHisOwnKind

tbok1992
2012-12-17, 09:19 PM
I meant that specific scenario, not the basic concept. Though I don't think any classic-Lugosi-type vampires have done the whole " heroic monster-hunting vampire" schtick, usually it's the brooding ones.

Eldan
2012-12-17, 09:58 PM
Hellsing? Alucard is anything but brooding.

kpenguin
2012-12-17, 10:12 PM
I'd hardly call him a classic Lugosi vampire either.

Drakeburn
2012-12-17, 10:33 PM
I definitely want to see a Twilight parody where Van Helsing flies in, guns blazing, killing every vampire and werewolf in sight.

Honestly, who doesn't want to see that? :smallbiggrin:

Dimonite
2012-12-17, 10:40 PM
What do I want to see?

A movie directed by Joss Wheedon starring David Tennant, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Tom Hiddleston. At that point I don't even CARE what the plot is.

Avilan the Grey
2012-12-18, 01:52 AM
I would actually like to see a vampire film where vampires are actually scary, rather than sexy. I mean, what is it with sexy vampires?

It's as old as the myth itself. Seriously, sexy vampires is not a new idea. Besides, I don't know where you have been looking, but there are plenty of scary vampires in modern media.

Drakeburn
2012-12-18, 11:12 AM
It's as old as the myth itself. Seriously, sexy vampires is not a new idea. Besides, I don't know where you have been looking, but there are plenty of scary vampires in modern media.

Let's just say that the Twilight movies have been blocking my perspective.

Now that I thought about, I've watched a movie with really scary vampires in my freshman English class in High School (in case you were wondering, we were studying Gothic Literature). We were watching Van Helsing, and the part when the vampire babies hatched just freaked me out so badly (and the guy next to me chuckled at that).

tbok1992
2012-12-18, 12:19 PM

Actually, most folkloric vampires were bloated, smelly walking corpses before Dracula.

hamishspence
2012-12-18, 12:22 PM
There's a wide range of regional vampire variations.

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-18, 12:28 PM
Cutting out vampires altogether and replacing them with better Undead (well, prett much anything, though zombies have been somewhat tainted by non-Unded zombies and ghosts and mummies are little overdone), e.g. ghouls, wraiths, spectres, wights, liches...

Hopeless
2012-12-18, 03:24 PM
I'd like to see the Wizards and Warriors series to be released so I can see what it was actually like instead of being limited to the couple of videos on you tube that are effectively trailers of the series.

Makes me wonder whether they could pull off a better version but not Merlin or the Robin Hood version they've been running over here in the UK.

I'm currently running a post apocalyptic fantasy game set 1500 years in the future and the world was devastated and reduced back to the bronze age but evidence of the modern world can still be found albeit hidden in underground ruins for the most part.

London is now sunk below the water separating the formerly known as England with magic now available but not explained since technology is viewed with the same skepticism as magic was in the present.

I figure have a group from a village as the protagonists with a mysterious newcomer whose revealed as being able to travel to the present day and to their time trying to help by carrying supplies and people where necessary to help with the new era but is being hunted not only by the villains of the future but also in the present as certain forces are aware whats she's doing but their efforts to send people to that time are strictly one way and only via a stolen artefact and they want to find out how she's doing travelling to both times but the UK govt aren't aware they're being used so its more of a mystery at both ends with the first season more focused on the future with occasional peeks at the present which become more important in the later seasons when it becomes clear something awful is going to happen a century or so from the present and the forces hunting her want to make sure they're only ones with the ability to provide an escape route...

And if forced to give it some mythical links make the girl be called the Lady of the Lake because when she first arrives she emerges from a lake after escaping pursuers in the present!

Only thing what to call it?

I believe the Circle of Fate is already taken, how does The Ritian Chronicles with the first episode literally called The Lady of the Lake, hmm maybe a little lame.

The lead heroine is of mixed heritage born in Greece, parents divorced when she was six she was left with her great aunt who trained her as a stage magician unaware she was actually being trained as a powerful sorceress since the mana levels in the past are too low but in the future they much higher and she has the power of creation able to create objects at will and cast various spells including healing something that is very rare.
Actually combat trained and understands technology but possesses low level telepathy that allows her to perceive a person's intent through any of her senses albeit her emotions can cloud her judgement.

How would you handle this?

kpenguin
2012-12-18, 03:34 PM
Actually, most folkloric vampires were bloated, smelly walking corpses before Dracula.

Dracula himself, when fed, was a smelly bloated walking corpse. His appearance was unattractive.

He was still sexy, though, in that people were attracted to him. Because mind control powers.

Inglenook
2012-12-18, 08:39 PM
Early European vampires were bloated, animalistic corpses, but there was a sexual element to them as well, right? Not "romantic" sexual, but the more, um, rapacious sort?

DukeGod
2012-12-18, 10:44 PM
Third: The Dresden files... was co-written and approved by Butcher, and still was not good. HBO would not make a difference. I want instead a full movie series based on the Furies Of Calderon series. One movie per book.

Codex Alera doesn't translate well into a movie. The P.O.V changes too often.
You might just aswell go for a series

Also, I honestly would like to see a medieval post-apocalyptic movie I guess.

Stumblebee
2012-12-19, 12:44 AM
Dino Riders reboot.

I've heard about that browser MMO, but the weird cowboy/dinosaur mishmash (as in cowboys riding dinosaurs, not dinosaurs who are also cowboys somehow) just doesn't do it for me.

Now that I think about it, I could only endorse a Dino Riders reboot if it was launched in tandem with a Dinosaucers reboot, ultimately leading to a crossover in which the former grapples with the moral implications of the latter's existence.

Eldariel
2012-12-19, 12:51 AM
Well, Tsukihime animation of course. Of course, I can't really see any group doing it justice at the moment, but y'know, it's such an incredible story it needs to be gifted to the wider audience.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-12-19, 01:30 AM
These days, I'd be happy with actual history on the History Channel, actual learning on the Learning Channel, actual discoveries on the Discovery Channel, actual art and entertainment on A&E, real news on the news networks, and good sci-fi on SyFy. :smallsigh:

tbok1992
2012-12-19, 01:56 AM
Dino Riders reboot.

I've heard about that browser MMO, but the weird cowboy/dinosaur mishmash (as in cowboys riding dinosaurs, not dinosaurs who are also cowboys somehow) just doesn't do it for me.

Now that I think about it, I could only endorse a Dino Riders reboot if it was launched in tandem with a Dinosaucers reboot, ultimately leading to a crossover in which the former grapples with the moral implications of the latter's existence.

Well, a lot of the new Imaginext dinosaur figures look a lot like Dino Riders figures, what with their mechanical, weaponized attachments and their seats for human riders.

And given that Tycho, who made the original Dino Riders line, is owned by Mattel along with Playskool, who makes Imaginext, I'm thinking that this isn't just a coincidence...

God I am such a nerd for knowing that.

Kitten Champion
2012-12-19, 02:59 AM
I'd like to see a Reboot reboot.

Feytalist
2012-12-19, 03:06 AM

You know, pun aside, that's actually not a bad idea. With updated CGI and everything. Although the bad graphics were kind of charming in a way.

Reboot was a fun show.

Grif
2012-12-19, 03:29 AM
A good videogame movie? :smalltongue:

Kitten Champion
2012-12-19, 04:52 AM
Reboot, Beast Wars, Hey Arnold!, Sailor Moon, and Gundam Wing made up most of my early childhood. I think I've seen all those series three or four times by now.

Sailor Moon is getting a reboot, and there are plenty more Gundams where that came from. Still, any anime geared towards teens or adults doesn't appear on my television anymore, which is disappointing. They've all been shuffled off to specialty channels for whatever reason.

Hey Arnold! I thought was a beautiful show, an urban fable with a protagonist who solves his problems and the problems of those around him with willpower, effort, eloquence, wisdom, and empathy -- Arnold represented the kind of person I aspire to be without being saccharine or flawless I'd like more shows with that sort of heart and intelligence.

The problem with modern transformers is, they feel like they're there to sell you toys. Beast Wars had a great overarching plot, characters which I could empathize with, and no humans... which was a major plus. I don't think the recent incarnations of Transformers are terrible per say, they simply lack ambition. Beast Wars tried things, some good, some bad, but they tried. I simply loved that Optimus, he had a quality of a monk as much as a military leader.

Reboot was original, truly. The idea of these sprites battling us Users for the survival of countless innocents in their city is the only time I've seen a children's television show cast kids such as the viewers as oblivious homicidal monsters. The show revelled in its flexibility -- comedy, romance, drama, action, music -- it was all over the place. They played around with any ideas that they could come up with, it was an ideal series for creativity.The computer graphics were played to their full potential -- characters and settings were so heterogeneous that you never got bored with just being there. There are no end of stories that can be told in that world.

Eldan
2012-12-19, 06:16 AM

Well, Reboot Reboot would be that :smallwink:

Dimonite
2012-12-19, 10:10 AM

THIS.

Although I would like to see a conclusion to the "Hunt" before hitting reset on the whole shebang.

tbok1992
2012-12-19, 01:40 PM

Again I say I'd love to see an Earthbound movie done by Steven Spielberg in the vein of his 80s kids movies. With Michael Chabon writing the script.

And while most audiences wouldn't know of the source material, I think the concept of "Psychic kids fight aliens in USA-inspired fantasy world" would be a pretty easy sell to them.

Drakeburn
2012-12-19, 03:26 PM
I definitely want this series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QszlMVDrFjc) to be rebooted.
It is because of this television series that The Flash is one of my favorite superheroes.

Above all the new Batman and Superman movies, why not make a movie about the Flash? Or Wonder Woman?

tbok1992
2012-12-19, 11:59 PM
One i know would never get made would be Sonic The Hedgehog: The Tabletop RPG. No, really, with the big, pretty decently fleshed-out setting with plenty of plot hooks and "races" to choose from, one could make a pretty neat fast-paced, story-based, point-build RPG.

But the reason it'll never happen is that the Sonic fanbase is crawing with wall to wall creepers and perverts, and this reputation precedes them in the RPG community. So, if one was made, no matter how good, no gamer would touch it for fear of getting That /d/m or That Player in their game.

Socratov
2012-12-20, 04:45 AM
The SMBG sub-forum just reminded me how much I miss the Pinky and the Brain. they shoudl reboot that series and criticizenoteworthy things happening in the world (like apple and samsung sueing each other, disney buying lucasarts, etc.)

MLai
2012-12-23, 10:03 PM
I definitely want to see a Twilight parody where Van Helsing flies in, guns blazing, killing every vampire and werewolf in sight.
Honestly, who doesn't want to see that? :smallbiggrin:
Actually, this gives me an idea for a show. It's kind of similar to Darkstalkers, but not as convoluted and more appropriate for American consumption. Also take cues from Secret World mmo. I don't want to say White Wolf because that's all goth/emo and is partially responsible for the current vampire craze:

A modern-day group of secret superheroes, except many of them are classic monsters. They'll need those supernatural powers, because they're up against apocalyptic cults/conspiracies fronting a Chulthu invasion of Earth.

The Leader - A descendant of Van Helsing, male or female. Or maybe he is Van Helsing, immortal after visiting the Fountain of Youth.
The Lancer - A half-vampire like Blade. Or maybe an actual vampire who is amoral, but compelled to do The Leader's bidding due to spells. Personality of a Jackass Genie; always looking for a chance to bite The Leader.
The Smart Guy - Frankenstein's Monster (or Bride of Frankenstein). Dude is smart. Maybe by contemporary times, he's advanced the original doctor's research to the point where he's constantly switching engineered bodies to house his/her brain. In fact we don't know his gender because he uses bodies of either gender.
The Bruiser - A werewolf I guess. I think it could be something better.
The Chick - A teenage witch, I think. Somebody has to be versed in spells around here. Must be young, i.e. relatable by younger viewers. Cannot be a 25 y/o woman playing a 15 y/o girl.

You might say "Isn't this the same as Buffy/Angel?" But I don't want to be weighed down by that franchise's mythology. Just like you can't say "Who needs B5, we have ST?" I liked Buffy/Angel but I don't like many elements of its mythology. Also I don't want the tone of Scooby Doo that Buffy/Angel often exudes.

Dave Halfbreed
2012-12-23, 10:16 PM
Seconding the return of the Dino Riders.

Also, some more history documentaries on actual history, military channel programs on something other than 20th century stuff, Discovery going back to actual science.

Movies: I think 1 Million Years BC deserves a GOOD remake. Maybe one about Homo erectus, or palaeo-Indians.

Raptor Red needs a movie. It was a fun book.

I'd like a good American Revolution movie. The last one was the Patriot, and that sucked.

How about a monster movie about something other than werewolves, vampires or zombies? Or even just making Vampires neutral evil again?

Maybe a book-accurate take of Princess of Mars, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or the Lost World.

We've had a lot of kung-fu and wushu films, so about about martial arts films about Kobudo, Kapu Kuʻialua, or one of the Indian martial arts?

And would it be possible for there to be a D&D movie or TV show that wasn't laughably horrible?

This is all just my opinion, of course.

MLai
2012-12-23, 11:37 PM
Howzabout Assassin's Creed in American Revolution? LOL.
No, I don't really want to see that.
I would like to see Assassin's Creed set in the Holy Lands, though. I liked Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut), personally. The idea of a parkouring Hashashiyyin shanking Caucasian Crusaders (and Muslims as well) delights me because of how un-PC it is. The Clockwork Orange of our times, maybe.

Howler Dagger
2012-12-23, 11:50 PM
I'd like to see an HBO series based on The Way of Kings. I also second the idea of actually history on the History Channel.

oblivion6
2012-12-24, 02:37 AM
I'd like to see an HBO series based on The Way of Kings. I also second the idea of actually history on the History Channel.

The Way of Kings? It sounds familiar but I cant place it...

I think the History Channel should get better here soon, now that their whole "21 Days of the Apocalypse" is over. Just about every show on there this last month or two has been a different show trying to add to the hysteria of the supposed "Doomsday" prophecies which never actually really existed.

Kitten Champion
2012-12-24, 03:17 AM

I think the History Channel should get better here soon, now that their whole "21 Days of the Apocalypse" is over. Just about every show on there this last month or two has been a different show trying to add to the hysteria of the supposed "Doomsday" prophecies which never actually really existed.

It's Brandon Sanderson's first attempt at a sprawling heroic fantasy epic, what will be the Stormlight Archive series whenever he finds the time to continue it. It would be interesting to see that world in a cinematic format, but at the moment it's entirely too early for such consideration.

It's shocking that History -- renowned for its integrity and scholarly sensibilities -- would present such fatuous, inaccurate, and sensationalist material.

oblivion6
2012-12-24, 03:32 AM
It's Brandon Sanderson's first attempt at a sprawling heroic fantasy epic, what will be the Stormlight Archive series whenever he finds the time to continue it. It would be interesting to see that world in a cinematic format, but at the moment it's entirely too early for such consideration.

It's shocking that History -- renowned for its integrity and scholarly sensibilities -- would present such fatuous, inaccurate, and sensationalist material.

Agreed. I have seen atleast two-dozen different variations of the doomsday prophecies. Some focoused on the supposed Mayan prophecies, some on Hopi blue-stars and I believe one even went so far as to examine the Bible. Most of them starred the same guy too. Bread Metzler I think the name was. Never heard of him before this.

Drakeburn
2012-12-24, 12:04 PM
I just wish there were good gamer - like material on television, like "The Guild" or "JourneyQuest".

If good shows like those existed, I would actually be watching television.

tbok1992
2012-12-24, 05:55 PM
The Bruiser - A werewolf I guess. I think it could be something better.
How about The Heap? He was a superhero from the 40s who did the whole "Guy dies in a swamp, comes back as giant shambling swamp monster" thing way before either Swamp Thing or Man Thing. Plus, he's public domain thanks to a copyright screwup by his creators, so he's totally free to boot.

tbok1992
2013-01-03, 01:33 PM
Also, I'd like a good House of the Dead movie, with the main characters from Overkill, the best bosses from the first five games, a plot combining the first two games with Curien and Goldman as the Big Bads, and Goldman played by Ben Stein. Also, there' be a parody of Uwe Boll who keeps getting his ass kicked in the film because funny.

Somewhere
2013-01-03, 02:17 PM
Again I say I'd love to see an Earthbound movie done by Steven Spielberg in the vein of his 80s kids movies. With Michael Chabon writing the script.

And while most audiences wouldn't know of the source material, I think the concept of "Psychic kids fight aliens in USA-inspired fantasy world" would be a pretty easy sell to them.

I would disagree with this pick (or rather, the director/writer picks), on the basis that I think that a large part of Earthbound/Mother's charm is that it's largely the impressions of the USA through the perspective of a non-American (Itoi Shigesato).

Das Platyvark
2013-01-03, 09:59 PM
I'd like to see some weird and dark sci fi, something well written and arc based, but with a good deal more general strangeness. Think if China Miéville had done BSG.
Alternatively, Farscape redone so that I could take it seriously and not cringe every time one of the actors spoke or we saw the 'alien clothes'.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-04, 03:17 AM
I'd like to see some weird and dark sci fi

Haven't that been done to death the last 10 years?

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-04, 10:53 AM
Hey Arnold! I thought was a beautiful show, an urban fable with a protagonist who solves his problems and the problems of those around him with willpower, effort, eloquence, wisdom, and empathy -- Arnold represented the kind of person I aspire to be without being saccharine or flawless I'd like more shows with that sort of heart and intelligence.

Heck yes! And all the characters where well rounded. And the occasional ghost story episode freaked the pants out of me as a kid. Another show like that please.

Eldan
2013-01-04, 02:13 PM

I can think of maybe a small handful of movies that usually flopped. But if you know more, I'd love to hear it. There's plenty of moderately gritty and quite brutal SciFi, but barely anything I'd qualifiy as either properly dark or weird, and even less stuff that is both.

Das Platyvark
2013-01-04, 05:23 PM

Dark, yes. Weird, really weird, not so much.
I'm talking purely visually/in terms of setting.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-04, 05:31 PM
These days, I'd be happy with actual history on the History Channel, actual learning on the Learning Channel, actual discoveries on the Discovery Channel, actual art and entertainment on A&E, real news on the news networks, and good sci-fi on SyFy. :smallsigh:

This would be an impressive feat, as it would involve ignoring the success of the garage wars type shows.

And if history channel goes back to being the Nazi channel, I think I would hate it just as much. At one point half of all shows on that channel were WWII, and most of those focused on the Nazis.

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-01-05, 01:17 AM
This would be an impressive feat, as it would involve ignoring the success of the garage wars type shows.

And if history channel goes back to being the Nazi channel, I think I would hate it just as much. At one point half of all shows on that channel were WWII, and most of those focused on the Nazis.

I have no problem with Mythbusters, Junkyard Wars, Dirty Jobs and the other science-y reality shows on Discovery or Science, since those are about building and, y'know, discovering things and doing science and hence fit in just fine there. But there are a bunch of shows like Amish Mafia, Moonshiners, Monster House, and other "day in the life" shows on those channels that would fit much better on TLC, HGTV, or similar and leave more room for better programming--looking at today's Discovery schedule in my area, for instance, they're showing faux-reality shows literally all day with not a single How It's Made, Future Weapons, or Garage Wars in sight. :smallannoyed:

As for History, I'd prefer the World War II Channel to the "Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and UFO Hunters" channel. At least when it was all Nazis all the time, there was a chance of seeing something involving WWI, ancient archeology, Medieval history, and the like, as opposed to the current choice between pseudo-scientific BS and more faux-reality shows.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-05, 01:29 AM
I have no problem with Mythbusters, Junkyard Wars, Dirty Jobs and the other science-y reality shows on Discovery or Science, since those are about building and, y'know, discovering things and doing science and hence fit in just fine there. But there are a bunch of shows like Amish Mafia, Moonshiners, Monster House, and other "day in the life" shows on those channels that would fit much better on TLC, HGTV, or similar and leave more room for better programming--looking at today's Discovery schedule in my area, for instance, they're showing faux-reality shows literally all day with not a single How It's Made, Future Weapons, or Garage Wars in sight. :smallannoyed:

As for History, I'd prefer the World War II Channel to the "Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and UFO Hunters" channel. At least when it was all Nazis all the time, there was a chance of seeing something involving WWI, ancient archeology, Medieval history, and the like, as opposed to the current choice between pseudo-scientific BS and more faux-reality shows.
I will grant you that. Maybe we need a history channel 2? It would have history on it for a few years before also reverting to reality shows.

oblivion6
2013-01-05, 04:35 AM
with not a single Future Weapons,

Discovery shows Future Weapons these days? I cant find it on the Military channel at all. We're talking about the one with Richard "Mack" Makowitz or whatever that guys name is right?

History Channel is basically useless. The military history channel is all nazi and WWII stuff that I have seen so many times, and the standard History Channel is all this other crap(Pawn Stars, UFO hunters, blah blah blah).

They used to have a History International station that was good but I dont know what happened to it.

Kitten Champion
2013-01-05, 12:05 PM
Looking through my satellite television package, all the channels I have and never even go near for lack of interest. Television is going to be so much better when it's all just streaming and recording the news/entertainment you actually want to see.

There's simply too much time to fill and too little content to go with. So you get Amish aliens singing off-key with the Kardashians.

Arcane_Secrets
2013-01-05, 01:39 PM

I think they're probably a lost cause myself. They'll probably go back to showing nothing but bad copy-of-copy-of-copy specials about nothing but World War II now.

HalfTangible
2013-01-05, 01:42 PM
I want to see a sentient space-raccoon throw a giant train at an equally giant robot.

You KNOW it's awesome.

tbok1992
2013-01-09, 11:52 AM
I want to see a sentient space-raccoon throw a giant train at an equally giant robot.

You KNOW it's awesome.

Well, you might get your Sentient Space Raccoon with the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

I'd also like to see a My Little Pony/Transformers crossover...

Come on you know it'd make mad bank.

Ursine
2013-01-11, 06:05 PM
I would love to see a Deadlands/Weird West show, that would be awesome.

Also, a movie that ties War Games, Hackers, The Net and Live Free or Die Hard into one continuity. It would be insane and probably suck, but I would like to see it anyway.

tbok1992
2013-01-20, 12:01 PM
I'd love to see a Barkley: Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden movie. It'd be the best Space Jam sequel ever.

Also, I'd love to see an MST3K animated series. It'd get as many writers and cast members from the old show as possible back, though the human lead would be a new character to avoid the whole "Joel Vs. Mike" debate.

Though the show would be the same length as the old one, it'd take a look at bad animation instead of crappy b-movies, sometimes watching several episodes of TV shows for one episode, sometimes looking at one bad movie. The reason being that there's a lot less bad animation for film than there is for TV, so this would keep the show from running out of things to MST.

It'd likely be best on Cartoon Network, as they and their parent company own the rights to a lot of crap. Season finales would be special things, such as a Sam Singer marathon, a look at CN Real, an actual good movie like The Iron Giant, the list goes on. I think it'd become a huge hit.

Hopeless
2013-01-20, 04:51 PM
You know i just had this really funny thought... what about a series where it starts out a spaceship runs into trouble due to a misjump and reenters normal space but in the commotion a couple of the escape craft end up crashing down on an inhabited world thats been isolated due to a dangerous species located there.

One of the survivor's is a child who is separated from her group during an unexplained attack and she's found by a couple who take her to safety unaware she's not a native of their world... a world named Earth by the locals.

The series is set a few years later when she begins to get curious about where she came from the idea is that she was too young to realise where she came from and her time spent as a foster child left her trying to adapt to life on Earth.

I figure she's adopted and raised as a normal child albeit ill for much of her early years as she adapted to Earth's environment, maybe throw in that the organisation that attacked and either killed, captured or are still hunting the other survivors of her stricken ship are aware there are others out there just not aware of her... yet.

Not sure how this would be handled and where the storyline should develop, maybe she's the daughter of a starship captain and she has a peculiar abilities say eidetic memory and ala Perception the ability to put details together that verge on extraordinary maybe initially thought mentally handicapped in her early years as she had to relearn skills to adapt to life as a normal human child something quite alien to her own species.

Would have to be otherwise unremarkable to avoid being dicovered as not a human from Earth but how would you handle this?

Probably already been done but what if humanity was as a result of these actions against unexpected visitors under threat from reprisals?

You could have surviving aliens operating a guerilla campaign against humanity either unaware or unwilling to realise its only a minority responsible for the attacks, the people responsible who might have devolved from an actual govt operation to a big business looking at get ahead by preying on these more technologically advanced captives, and of course the possibility that humanity's only hope lies in one of the stranded making contact offworld to prevent either the extinction of the human race on earth and further attacks by the misinformed locals perhaps even have first contact itself be the ultimate aim of the series throwing in the possiblity of ending with her going home to prevent Earth's destruction?

What do you think?

Hopeless
2013-01-20, 04:52 PM
Of course they could redo the Aquaman pilot this time do it properly instead of the hash up they presented.

Threw everything but the kitchen fridge when only a small part need to be introduced.

I wonder how they would handle a female crimefighter posing as a man whose only remarkable ability other than alot of training and a "sixth sense" having to operate in secret since she's being hunted because she's the daughter of a wanted supervillain and she's tarred with his reputation?

Master of disguise, stage magician training, raised in a circus by an aunt whose murder she witnessed the revelation that her father is a serial killer who hunts down human monsters and has slain way too many in self defence such that he's considered a monster too and she's had to live her life under a countless number of assumed identities to avoid being imprisoned just as a way to get at her father... maybe too dark but having her be unwilling to kill since to her its far too easy and she's never taken the easy route might make her more interesting but would have to be low powered at best maybe alpha related if it needs the link...

Not Nikita, there's a webcomic called Amazing Agent Luna but thats about a bionengineered schoolgirl operative but I was thinking someone who is looking to make things better but knows she'll never have the kind of normal life everybody else has, but still tries even though we eventually see her efforts result in her being hunted as a vigilante but her disguise holds since they think she's a he and if they reveal her identity make it clear that puts them in awful danger since her real enemies are still trying to find her and to avoid endangering those she cares for she has to keep moving on.

What would make her decide to make a stand?

Who would she be willing to do that for is she believed she had no other choice?

Thinking too much I guess!

Caewil
2013-01-21, 04:15 AM
I want an Alpha Centauri movie.

Hopeless
2013-01-21, 05:10 AM
I want an Alpha Centauri movie.

Heck I'd like an actual Battletech movie thats done long before the Clans get involved and the Dark Age for that matter!

A series would be impossible due to the costs alone... that and the fact they'd mess up the storyline like they did during Smallville exactly how it survived that mess is a miracle in itself!