PDA

View Full Version : Set of Artifacts for my setting (WIP, help appreciated)

Trodon
2012-11-29, 01:59 PM
I'm making a set of artifacts for my setting, and am unsure of how to continue, here are the first six that i have, then there'll be two more that I don't have anything written down for yet. I'm working on the Diadem of Life right now, and I'm considering giving it a Resurrection power, among another few things I was considering a constant charm animals like effect, but I'm just not sure. So if anyone could help me with any of them I would be very thankful.

Diadems of Dematriss
These diadems are artifacts left over from the ancient civilization commonly known as Dematriss, these diadems are commonly the subject of legends and myths throughout Solina, and six are known to exist. Many have tried, however the gemstones atop each diadem seem to be fixed into their location beyond mortal means, and haven’t been loosened.

Each diadem must be worn for three days before the diadem is attuned, and bestows its powers to the wearer.

The Diadem of Courage: This bronze diadem has been shaped to appear to be fire wrapping around the head of the wearer, complete with a blue tint near the base. Atop the middle flame sits a flawless blood ruby, as you stare into it you can see a small flame flickering in the center.

Once this diadem is activated the bronze seems to spread like flames, forming a complete circle around the wearer’s head, and bronze color flame patterns appear on the wearer’s arms.

The Diadem of Insight: This iron diadem is a simple band to wrap around a head, with two short pedestals holding two flawless teardrop shaped pieces of amber. Although empty inside, you swear you can sense some sort of movement just when you look away.

Once this diadem is attuned the iron materializes into a full circle around the wearer’s head, and the wearer’s sclera (white part of the eyes) turns amber in color.

The Diadem of Peace: This cold Iron diadem is the deep blue color of the ocean, and has a flowing appearance; this diadem has three wave-like protrusions at the top, each holding a flawless tanzanite. Inside of these gems there is a small pool of water perfectly calm no matter the wearer’s movement.

Once this diadem is attuned the cold iron flows around the wearer’s head, forming a full circle in addition to giving the wearer’s hair a seaweed green hint to it.

The Diadem of Vitality: This stone diadem is very rough and uneven, and has four hills atop of it, each holding a flawless sunstone in place. Inside each of which, appears to be a very small sun, not bright enough to annoy just enough to be noticed.

Once this diadem is attuned the stone grows to form a complete circle around the wearer’s head, and the wearer’s skin hardens and seems to take the texture of stone.

The Diadem of Life: This ironwood diadem appears to be made of twisting vines wrapping around the wearer’s head, there are five leaves sprouting from the top, each one holding in place a flawless emerald. Inside each of these emeralds sits a sapling tree, forever in stasis.

Once this diadem is attuned the ironwood vines twist around themselves and come to a complete circle around the wearer’s head, along with a vine hanging down the temples of the wearer.

The Diadem of Mystery: This mithral diadem is differently shaped to everyone that sees it, although it always holds six flawless amethysts atop it, each amethyst’s core seems to change into a different color randomly.

Once this diadem is attuned the mithral extends to connect itself around the wearer’s head, forming a full circle in addition to turning to wearer’s iris to purple.

Edit: these are all Minor Artifacts, the other two will be major, but I want to get these done first.

Rizban
2012-11-30, 05:29 AM
So, you have the fluff for the diadems and now you're looking for crunchiness to go with that? I have a few ideas you might consider.

My initial thought was that each diadem has a minor power or two that were useful, but they also have a few powers that can only be unlocked if you have levels in particular classes. The following is just a quick example of what occurred to me along this line of thought when reading through the list.

The Diadem of Courage: This bronze diadem has been shaped to appear to be fire wrapping around the head of the wearer, complete with a blue tint near the base. Atop the middle flame sits a flawless blood ruby, as you stare into it you can see a small flame flickering in the center.

Once this diadem is activated the bronze seems to spread like flames, forming a complete circle around the wearer’s head, and bronze color flame patterns appear on the wearer’s arms.Obvious ability would be immunity to Fear and + Cha mod to allies' saves vs fear.
1/day grant all allies immunity to fear for X rounds.
Bard: Inspire Courage bonus increase
Paladin: Gain additional Smite Evil uses and Smite Evil deals additional damage that is half fire and half divine.
Bard + Paladin: Once attuned, character can freely multiclass between bard and paladin as long as he is Lawful Good. Levels stack for bardic music and smite.

Trodon
2012-12-01, 02:13 PM
Sorry I had a busy day yesterday.

That is a great idea, however it doesn't really fit with what I had in mind, just about anyone can use these (that is if they can get their hands on them), and the civilization they belonged to didn't have the same set of classes that there are now. But thanks for your input.

dethkruzer
2012-12-01, 05:39 PM
these seem intersting, and I could share a few thoughts and ideas:

Courage: resistance or immunity to fear, perhaps give bonuses to allies, as suggested above. Maybe add in calm emotions that only functions on fear?

Insight: Bonuses to spot and search, or maybe wisdom-based skills in general? Also thinking maybe limited uses of darkvision or true sight, maybe some divination?`

Peace: this is a bit of a pickle, but I'm thinking maybe a contant Heightened Sanctuary effect? Perhaps some bonuses to things like Diplomacy? I'd guess the BOED could have a few good spells for this.

Vitality: Natural Armor, Damage reduction, Fast Healing, Regenearation, Bonuses to Contitution or saves, any and all of these could fit the bill.

Life: I'd say healing, also maybe some plant related Abilities, resurrection is a bit strong, but maybe if it is given som kind of limitation (long-lost rituals, XP or material sacrifices, usable once a year, that sort of thing).

Mystery: Another tough one, you really might want to define a little more on what kind of stuff you want this to do. Although some ideas would be invisibility, limited immunity to divinations, bonuses to Hide and Move silently, perhaps to bluff as well?

Trodon
2012-12-01, 07:09 PM
these seem intersting, and I could share a few thoughts and ideas:

Courage: resistance or immunity to fear, perhaps give bonuses to allies, as suggested above. Maybe add in calm emotions that only functions on fear?

Insight: Bonuses to spot and search, or maybe wisdom-based skills in general? Also thinking maybe limited uses of darkvision or true sight, maybe some divination?`

Peace: this is a bit of a pickle, but I'm thinking maybe a contant Heightened Sanctuary effect? Perhaps some bonuses to things like Diplomacy? I'd guess the BOED could have a few good spells for this.

Vitality: Natural Armor, Damage reduction, Fast Healing, Regenearation, Bonuses to Contitution or saves, any and all of these could fit the bill.

Life: I'd say healing, also maybe some plant related Abilities, resurrection is a bit strong, but maybe if it is given som kind of limitation (long-lost rituals, XP or material sacrifices, usable once a year, that sort of thing).

Mystery: Another tough one, you really might want to define a little more on what kind of stuff you want this to do. Although some ideas would be invisibility, limited immunity to divinations, bonuses to Hide and Move silently, perhaps to bluff as well?

Courage: Yes, immunity to fear and a bonus for ally's saves is nearly mandatory, calm emotions seems like a great idea.

Insight: Spot, Listen, and sense motive are probably what it's going to end up to be. And some divination also sounds good.

Peace: I'll have a look through the BoED, see what I can find, along with diplomacy bonuses.

Vitality: Natural armor and some fast healing sound like a good place to start.

Life: I was thinking of having a True Resurrection ability only usable in a long-lost magical grove/oasis, with a ritual involved.

Mystery: I'm not quite sure about that one yet, I'll think on it, but you're ideas are a good place to start.

Thanks for the reply, oh and how is my descriptive writing? I'm trying to get better so any input would help a lot, thanks.

Edit: And, these are supposed to be artifacts, even though they are minor ones.

Rizban
2012-12-02, 09:00 PM
I was reading through these again and suddenly had this image of the Courage crown not just providing courage but also permanently removing a source of fear. I pictured it transforming a red dragon into a pink rabbit. It was still a dragon with all the dragon stats (modified by being a rabbit), but it was just too silly to be taken seriously or to be afraid of it.

Life I envisioned as casting true resurrection on a character (read "corpse") that wears it. The effect would last only as long as the crown was worn, causing immediate death upon removal. In effect, immortality until it's removed. I can see an NPC literally becoming a talking head...

EpsilRon
2012-12-03, 10:32 PM
I see balance problems there... a player could just imbed a slotless Ring of Regeneration into their skull and sovereign glue the the thing on.

Rizban
2012-12-04, 08:12 AM
It's an artifact. Is it required to be balanced? I mean, that kind of the point of calling I an artifact. Besides, it may keep you alive, but perhaps it doesn't actually restore your body. Hence the talking head caveat.

dethkruzer
2012-12-04, 08:36 AM
I see balance problems there... a player could just imbed a slotless Ring of Regeneration into their skull and sovereign glue the the thing on.

I doubt it would bit that difficult to find out about the sovvereign glue with a bit of divination, and then you could just apply some universal solvent.

EpsilRon
2012-12-04, 10:23 AM
The glue just helps to prevent it from being grappled off, the RoR prevents "talking head" by... regenerating you.

Trodon
2012-12-04, 10:50 AM
It's an artifact. Is it required to be balanced? I mean, that kind of the point of calling I an artifact. Besides, it may keep you alive, but perhaps it doesn't actually restore your body. Hence the talking head caveat.

That's... a really good point. I don't want to make them major artifact powerful, put still powerful. Also, sorry for being so slow on this, I'm also working on myRunecrafter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14313655#post14313655) class right now.