PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request/Lost Features

Rawhide
2006-10-28, 05:44 AM
Think you have an uber l33t mod/hack you would like added, you could post it here. Understand thatwe may not add it and if we do it might be a long time before we do.

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING!

InaVegt
2006-10-28, 05:45 AM
I would like the dice mod I heard about, being able to roll dice without needing outside sources would be great.

Rawhide
2006-10-28, 05:46 AM
You can list any missing features since the changeover if you would like here.

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING!

IonizedChicken
2006-10-28, 07:16 AM
Seconded. The dice thing is awesome.

Also, I noticed that my Firefox 2 built-in spellchecker doesn't pick up the reply textboxes. Is it possible to change it so it would?

Edit: Well, it does pick them up, just not by default. I have to right click and V 'spell check this field' to get it working. Still, a change would be awesome.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-28, 07:31 AM
Well, I certainly would appreciate having mutable Display Names back. The couple of modified Avatars I used carried with them appropriate minor changes to the display name that I felt appropriate ("Shhalahr Windrider, DM" for my DM avatar (currently in my signature) and "Shhalahr the Phantom" for my Halloween costume avatar).

I understand that this feature was liable to cause some confusion, but I think most people recognized the danger in a complete avatar/name makeover and used it responsibly and only when thematically appropriate.

I think the only other things I'd request right now (tables, strike-through text, etc.) have already been mentioned as being on the to-do list in other threads, so no problem there.

Oh, just realized there's no Horizontal Rule tag either. I've found that useful in dividing sections of a post on a complicated topic as well as the occasional addition of post footnotes. I'd like to see that back.

Flabbicus
2006-10-28, 10:07 AM
Couldn't you just use the underscore for that?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-28, 10:47 AM
Horizontal Rule looks classier. ;)

The Demented One
2006-10-28, 10:48 AM
I'll second that. Horizontal rule was damned spiffy.

HempRope
2006-10-28, 11:10 AM
I've seen people using it and not noticing that it doesn't exist, leaving [hr] tags all over the place. If they get included, will these be created or whatever retroactively?

And support their addition, too.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-28, 11:48 AM
Most of the formatting we had on the old boards, like superscript and such.

The dice rolling thing, I have never heard of, but think would be Damn Spiffy.

Would it be possible for you to list all the features V-Bulletin offers that aren't implemented yet and we give feedback on which ones we want?

Emperor Tippy
2006-10-28, 12:11 PM
The Spoiler tag that WoTC has is quite nice. I would love that feature.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-28, 01:34 PM
The Spoiler tag that WoTC has is quite nice. I would love that feature.
Seconded. Its very useful for long sigs (Im looking at you Archonic Energy), or just for long posts that take up a lot of space, or, you know, spoilers.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-28, 01:50 PM
When the Avatars are re-enabled, will the little descriptive text under them be available, too? If not, consider that a request.

(Gee, I'm really eatin' that "only other things I want have already been mentioned" comment above. :rolleyes:)

Om
2006-10-28, 04:03 PM
How about a list of smilies on the post screen? All I have now are icons for the post title.

Edit: Scratch that. I've just discovered that can be changed via an option in my user cp.

Rawhide
2006-10-28, 05:41 PM
Adding Horizontal Rule, Superscript and Subscript BBCode to the list of things to re-add, if you continue to use them they will just start working when they are added.

Spoiler BBCode is scheduled for inclusion at some point.

Captain Tal
2006-10-28, 05:42 PM
On the WotC board they have under the Thread Tools they have the option to Download This Thread that lets you save a text version of the thread so they can catch up on a game, or just to have the ability to save a cool topic.

Jack Mann
2006-10-28, 05:44 PM
On the WotC board they have under the Thread Tools they have the option to Download This Thread that lets you save a text version of the thread so they can catch up on a game, or just to have the ability to save a cool topic.

On ours, it's Show Printable Thread. Try that for size.

Lucky
2006-10-28, 05:58 PM
This is a small one, but what about strike-out? That doesn't work anymore, that was a handy but simple one.

Rawhide
2006-10-28, 06:02 PM
This is a small one, but what about strike-out? That doesn't work anymore, that was a handy but simple one.
Take a look at the known bugs/issues thread.

Lucky
2006-10-28, 06:10 PM
Take a look at the known bugs/issues thread.

Sorry about that, there's a lot of threads to keep track of at the moment.

iamkoolerthanu
2006-10-28, 08:36 PM
The striker thing. You know like:

Striker

Bookman
2006-10-28, 11:07 PM
I dunno how possible this is but could we get more smilies? I know Wizards has TONS and a cookie one would be SO AWESOME. :D

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-28, 11:19 PM
I reckon if we could install a little banner at the top to show if Death is on or not would be a good idea. It will give people more of an incentive to log on if it states that Death is in the building.

On a different note, maybe we could have a mood thing. Not sure if that is possible, but I have seen them on blogs or are they called live journals/myspace?

Not really needed, just not sure exactly what the limitations this forums have.

HempRope
2006-10-28, 11:23 PM
...if you continue to use them they will just start working when they are added.
I'm sorry... could you rephrase that?

Lucky
2006-10-28, 11:25 PM
I'm sorry... could you rephrase that?

He means that we just go ahead and use the tags now, and when the feature is re-added, all the posts will change accordingly.

HempRope
2006-10-28, 11:33 PM
Ah. Good. Is it possible to somehow do this for quotation marks, or am I pressing my luck?

Also a feature: Some visual thingy, besides those nifty new rankings y'all have, to denote Mods. Like the stars on the old board, I feel there should be something to make y'all instantly recognizeable.

LordOfNarf
2006-10-28, 11:55 PM
I would like buttons like on the old post reply screen so you could just highlight the text and click the button and it would instert formatting tags, hitting bracket really thoughs off my typing rythm.
And a thread with message board codes for smileyies and stuff would be helpful, I can't seem how to figure out how to do them on the new software.
And I love the Muliquote and quickreply

Lucky
2006-10-29, 12:45 AM
You can get the interface for coding. You just need to go into your profile, it's an option somewhere in there.

Ravyn
2006-10-29, 12:58 AM
The ability to check off and delete multiple PMs at the same time--the check boxes are there, but I'm not seeing a delete option.

And are color text and similar formatting gone, or is there just not a code insertion shortcut menu anymore?--heh, never mind, found it. Bit of an odd place to hide the option, though--wouldn't it make more sense for the more complicated version to be the default for us poor confused technophobes?

Oh, and "Mark all posts as read." On the old forum, I was pretty much dependent on that feature.

Seren
2006-10-29, 02:54 AM
You can mark all posts read...it's under 'forum tools' at the top of the page.

You can also delete multiple pms at a time. It's an option at the bottom once you've selected them.

Seren
2006-10-29, 02:56 AM
I would like buttons like on the old post reply screen so you could just highlight the text and click the button and it would instert formatting tags, hitting bracket really thoughs off my typing rythm.

We used to have that feature? Man, would that have been useful to know.

Rawhide
2006-10-29, 03:55 AM
The striker thing. You know like:

Striker
Please see the known Bugs/Issues thread.

The ability to check off and delete multiple PMs at the same time--the check boxes are there, but I'm not seeing a delete option.
Its there, check the drop down menu at the bottom of the page.

Oh, and "Mark all posts as read." On the old forum, I was pretty much dependent on that feature.
1. Double click any forum icon to mark that forum as read.
2. Use the Forum Tools dropdown menu in the forum to mark all the posts in the forum as read.
3. On the index page, click mark forums read to mark all forums read.

Silly_Bean
2006-10-29, 05:28 AM
You can get the interface for coding. You just need to go into your profile, it's an option somewhere in there.

WHERE!!!! - ok done it now :D

Also post count seems to have gone - not complaining but have i missed something?

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 06:56 AM
Perhaps a custom rank after a certain amount of posts? If the avatars don't come back, it could be a way of distinguishing people.

How about that?

Rawhide
2006-10-29, 07:05 AM
Perhaps a custom rank after a certain amount of posts? If the avatars don't come back, it could be a way of distinguishing people.
How about that?
No, post counts do not matter. We have constantly stated this and are not going to make a change that makes them matter.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 08:07 AM
Yes. But why do we have titles at all? You could give everyone custom titles I suppose, but too much hassle probably.

LordOfNarf
2006-10-29, 10:26 AM
Yes. But why do we have titles at all? You could give everyone custom titles I suppose, but too much hassle probably.

For the thousands of people on the boards, the mods would be working forever to give everybody custom y=titles without repeating some of them

The Demented One
2006-10-29, 10:30 AM
For the thousands of people on the boards, the mods would be working forever to give everybody custom y=titles without repeating some of them
There's a way to get it so that anyone could make their own custom title. I've seen it done where once you get a certain number of posts, you can come up with your own title, though that would go against this board's tendency to not place importance on post count.

LordOfNarf
2006-10-29, 10:38 AM
One thing I just realized, where'd our captions go? do we get to have captions again when the avatars come back, or are they gone forever?

Silly_Bean
2006-10-29, 12:18 PM
I miss the male/female indicators. Dunno why. It was just nice to know what gender people are.

Azrael
2006-10-29, 01:35 PM
I don't know if it's inherent to vB or not, but only having the first 10 pages show right below the thread title is really quite annoying. On threads that moved quickly(ish) it was nice to be able to see that you'd viewed (for example) page 15, and now had to read 16-21 to be up to speed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 01:55 PM
I miss the male/female indicators. Dunno why. It was just nice to know what gender people are.
Yeah. I foresee more frustration than usual for those folks whose avatars are a different gender.

Seems to me Yuki Akuma particularly had a fair number of people referring to him as "she."

HempRope
2006-10-29, 02:33 PM
Ah, but that's what the 'view new posts' button is for. The little blue arrow by the thread title...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-29, 05:35 PM
Those little messages that we had under our nicks would be nice to have back.

Such as mine was 'Hear me PURRRR!' and the like.

Silly_Bean
2006-10-29, 06:32 PM
Those little messages that we had under our nicks would be nice to have back.

Such as mine was 'Hear me PURRRR!' and the like.

I assumed that they were bringing that back when the avatars were up and running again.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 06:57 PM
VT's post above reminded me one thing that's been throwing me off now...

There's an extra step to deleting posts. In YaBB, it was easier, though perhaps slightly more risky, to get rid of a post you didn't want anymore because the button to do so was right on the post. Now you have to hit the "Edit" button first.

(For those that have been keeping score from various other comments I've made in my time here... Yeah, I do have a thing for minimizing the number of mouse clicks on any particular task.)

The Giant
2006-10-29, 08:06 PM
I don't know if it's inherent to vB or not, but only having the first 10 pages show right below the thread title is really quite annoying. On threads that moved quickly(ish) it was nice to be able to see that you'd viewed (for example) page 15, and now had to read 16-21 to be up to speed.

I agree, but turning it on to show the links for every page causes it to stretch the page horizontally to a completely unacceptable level. You would be side scrolling for 2-3 pages on every forum just to see the right-column information. There's apparently no facility for letting the page links wrap to a new line.

Alarra
2006-10-29, 09:04 PM
VT's post above reminded me one thing that's been throwing me off now...

There's an extra step to deleting posts. In YaBB, it was easier, though perhaps slightly more risky, to get rid of a post you didn't want anymore because the button to do so was right on the post. Now you have to hit the "Edit" button first.

(For those that have been keeping score from various other comments I've made in my time here... Yeah, I do have a thing for minimizing the number of mouse clicks on any particular task.)

Actually, this has bugged me as well.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-29, 10:40 PM
Actually, this has bugged me as well.
I didn't even notice you COULD still delete threads. Cool :-D

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 10:42 PM
I didn't even notice you COULD still delete threads. Cool :-D
And as soon as you find this out, what do you do? You invalidate comment from my previous post in which I referred to "VT's post above." That's what you do. :rolleyes:

Lykan
2006-10-29, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is the spot to post, but I can't remove posts anymore... Dunno why...

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 11:01 PM
To delete a post, you first have to hit the Edit button. Then the option to delete the post will be available.

Lucky
2006-10-29, 11:01 PM
Sure you can, you have to edit it first, then go threw like a 3 step procedure to remove it, but you can remove them alright.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 11:35 PM
Bit of a formatting issue, not sure if this is the best "new board evaluation" thread for it, but...

It seems to me that having the quote attributions inside the quotebox rather than just on the outside like in YaBB makes the attribution blend in a bit much with the actual quote content.

Of course, then the attribution is not italicized and the author's name is bolded, so it's not too bad. So I can certainly live with the quotes as-is.

Just a thought.

HempRope
2006-10-30, 09:40 AM
I agree on that one. If it can be done, it's a change I'd love to see happen.

Also, and this came up in another thread (I Hate the New Boards), I don't like how we can't see full thread when we're replying. I know there's that little button down at the bottom of the page to go back and look at the whole thread, but I don't think it's a good substitute for the listing we had on the old boards. I am often responding to a few ideas in a thread, and by the time I've gotten past the first few, I sometimes forget exactly what the next idea was. So on the old board, I could just hit 'end' and immediately be taken to the last post. Now I've gotta scroll down, follow a tiny, hard-to-find (as demonstrated by Asmodeus) link, and then get to the bottom of that.
Maybe Shhalar's just rubbing off on me, but I think this is extremely inconvenient, and would love it if you could do something about it.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-30, 12:10 PM
If you can make it so people can choose their own title, that would be good.

Emperor Tippy
2006-10-30, 01:46 PM
If you use groups properly you should be able to do it. You make a "Normal User" Group which has mod powers (including the ability to create custom titles) but don't give them any forums to mod. And as their mod pwoers only work in forums where they have mod powers you are fine.

/hasn't worked with vBulletin in its past 4 iterations so this ability may have been lost, deleted, changed,etc.

Jacklu
2006-10-30, 01:50 PM

An interesting idea, but isn't that what the phrase under your avatar is for? I like the idea but I could see where it could lead to some problems down the road.

Lilly
2006-10-30, 02:34 PM
I agree on that one. If it can be done, it's a change I'd love to see happen.

Also, and this came up in another thread (I Hate the New Boards), I don't like how we can't see full thread when we're replying. I know there's that little button down at the bottom of the page to go back and look at the whole thread, but I don't think it's a good substitute for the listing we had on the old boards. I am often responding to a few ideas in a thread, and by the time I've gotten past the first few, I sometimes forget exactly what the next idea was. So on the old board, I could just hit 'end' and immediately be taken to the last post. Now I've gotta scroll down, follow a tiny, hard-to-find (as demonstrated by Asmodeus) link, and then get to the bottom of that.
Maybe Shhalar's just rubbing off on me, but I think this is extremely inconvenient, and would love it if you could do something about it.
I'm still not understanding what you're missing. Do you want the whole of the threads or just the last 30 posts or so? Because those are there in the reply screen. Just after all the buttons and options. And they are in reverse order, so that the most recent post is at the top.

This was one big thing that we were looking to do in the new forums, make it not display the entire thread when replying, because that is a big drain on the server. And there's always the option to right click on the post-reply button and ask it to open in a new window/tab.

HempRope
2006-10-30, 04:49 PM
I'm still not understanding what you're missing. Do you want the whole of the threads or just the last 30 posts or so? Because those are there in the reply screen. Just after all the buttons and options. And they are in reverse order, so that the most recent post is at the top. [Empahsis mine.]
Oooooooo!!!

Reverse order!

Alrighty, I'm fine. My bad.

TinSoldier
2006-10-30, 05:37 PM
I didn't see if there was another thread for this...

I don't like the new post indicator icon on the left. It is not very distinctive and it does not show up as well as the old footprints did.

I would like to see a return of the green (unread) and brown (read) footprints for thread indicators.

HempRope
2006-10-30, 06:03 PM
Actually, if that's possible, that'd be awesome. I sort of assumed it wasn't, but I dunno why...

The Demented One
2006-10-30, 06:32 PM
Any chance we could get back the old quote and reply buttons? The new, bold brown texty ones look kind of clunky.

The_Last_Night
2006-10-30, 07:01 PM
I'd like a feature that will let me punch people in the face over the internet.
If you could get it to extend beyond these boards to all other boards, too, that'd be great!

Emperor Tippy
2006-10-30, 07:01 PM
@^^
Seconded. The Standard vBulletin ones were just fine and blended in better/were less obtrusive.

Emperor Tippy
2006-10-30, 07:03 PM
^
It should be possible and is prolly on the list of things to happen at some point.

And yes it would be awesome.

Dhavaer
2006-10-30, 07:20 PM
I'd like a clock. There doesn't seem to be one anymore.

BlueWizard
2006-10-30, 07:38 PM
PRINT Feature? Did I miss it?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-30, 08:59 PM
Comrade Gorby: Please note that this thread was originally two threads that have been since merged into one. Refer to the title for each post to track which thread it originally came from to help follow conversations.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-30, 09:40 PM
PRINT Feature? Did I miss it?
It's under the "Thread Tools" Menu at the top of the thread page.

Oh, and just thought of a few feature things that might be nice:

When table functionality is restored, could we have support for cellpadding/cellspacing and background color? Even on YaBB, I felt those would be useful. Especially cellpadding—everything was so cramped on those tables.

On YaBB, the default text size for signatures was smaller than the the main post text size. It would probably help keep the sigs unobtrusive to do that here, too.

HempRope
2006-10-30, 10:02 PM
Any chance we could get back the old quote and reply buttons? The new, bold brown texty ones look kind of clunky.I like the new ones. The text ones.

I'd like a clock. There doesn't seem to be one anymore.Very bottom of each page.

Comrade Gorby: Please note that this thread was originally two threads that have been since merged into one. Refer to the title for each post to track which thread it originally came from to help follow conversations.
Ah. That explains why some of my posts have switched pages. And that's a cool feature. Did it come with vBulletin, or could you do that with YaBB, too? Are there other ways moderating has been improved with the board switch?

Lilly
2006-10-30, 10:05 PM
Hello all! I'm an announcement, and would like to be read. I feel so lonley here at the top of the forums, all alone with no other posts, I sure would like to be read before you ask questions... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=25&a=4)

Bookman
2006-10-30, 10:05 PM
I like the new ones. The text ones.

Very bottom of each page.

Ah. That explains why some of my posts have switched pages. And that's a cool feature. Did it come with vBulletin, or could you do that with YaBB, too? Are there other ways moderating has been improved with the board switch?
I'd say it's new Hemp cause they mentioned it was new in the announcement here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=25&a=4) :D

I must agree this has alot more nifty geeky features then the old :D

EDIT
SIMU-D!

By a Mod to boot.....she's probably working for the enemy

HempRope
2006-10-30, 10:07 PM
I for sure read that twice... damn. I'm real good at blocking things out...

Oh, actually, I do remember reading that, but I didn't really realize, ya know, exactly how it would manifest itself.

Bookman
2006-10-30, 10:10 PM
I for sure read that twice... damn. I'm real good at blocking things out...

Course ya read it twice! Cause Lily is practicing Simu skills until she can become a "Simu Ninja in the Playground"

:D ;)

HempRope
2006-10-30, 10:11 PM
What? I'm so confused... (:confused:)

Bookman
2006-10-30, 10:12 PM
What? I'm so confused... (:confused:)

I was refering to the fact that Lily Simu'd me with the exact same linkage and I was making a joke.........it clearly failed :p

HempRope
2006-10-30, 10:22 PM
I was sort of afraid that's what you meant.

Kyrian
2006-10-31, 04:09 AM
Gah! Can you change the icons for if the thread is locked and such back? These new ones are an eye sore.

Dispozition
2006-10-31, 04:30 AM
Hmmm...Noticed the footprints just then...Good work people!

How long have they been up? Just for the sakes of saying my spot check is terrible.

Kyrian
2006-10-31, 06:34 AM
footprints? I'm not seeing footprints. I see ugly green and brown circles.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-31, 07:52 AM
Just a thought I had when making an SRD quote.

Would it be possible to work on an external quote command? I always wanted to be able to provide relevant links to the SRD in the quotebox area similar to the post links to which we are currently limited. Also, the current quotebox says "Originally posted by..." which isn't necessarily appropriate when quoting something off the board.

TinSoldier
2006-10-31, 09:10 AM
Yay! Footprints and checkmarks and circles! I like that much better than the defaults.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-31, 09:12 AM
This may have been something that I did wrong, but since I seemed to have lost this feature, I thought this is the best place to put this.

I will say I did fiddle around with my profile and options before to try and get PMs working/smilies, so I may have done something there.

It's just a while ago there was a dictionary working on the quick reply, and I thought it all shades of nifty since it made my posts far easier for people to read.

As such I was wondering if I did something to disable it accidently? Or did I just anger the dictionary gods?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-31, 11:02 AM
Just a thought I had when making an SRD quote.

Would it be possible to work on an external quote command? I always wanted to be able to provide relevant links to the SRD in the quotebox area similar to the post links to which we are currently limited. Also, the current quotebox says "Originally posted by..." which isn't necessarily appropriate when quoting something off the board.
This is possible, as originally posted by Korith in the Praise for the New Forums thread.

Yes. The name in the quote box was also a link.

Anyway, for those of you who want to link to external sources in your quotes, you can use the following:

The Stuff you are quoting

The Order of the Stick, nicknamed OotS, is a comedic fantasy webcomic based on the genre of pen and paper roleplaying games. While it is principally published on the web, three book collections have been published, including a print-only story (On the Origin of PCs). It also appears monthly in Dragon Magazine, published by Paizo Publishing. The number of pre-order sales for the first OotS collection, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, encouraged Rich Burlew to quit his day job and write OotS full-time.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-31, 04:30 PM
^ Wow, I saw Korith's post first and so commented on it in the other thread.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 10:01 AM
I was wanting to run a little monster making competition each month and use the polling feature for votes. However, I noticed that after you post you can't edit and add a poll.

I couldn't add the poll in the beginning though until I have the entries to list on the poll.

Any chance of this being adjusted?

Ethdred
2006-11-01, 10:16 AM
How come we've lost the post count?

Also, 'User CP'? What sort of acronym is that? Took me ages to work out how to fix my sig!!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 10:17 AM
How come we've lost the post count?

Also, 'User CP'? What sort of acronym is that? Took me ages to work out how to fix my sig!!
User Control Panel. I noticed it right off, though I'm used to using this type of forums on Wizards.

HempRope
2006-11-01, 10:46 AM
And the announcemnet about new board features explained this.

Post count was discussed ad nauseum elsewhere.

squishycube
2006-11-01, 12:25 PM
I agree, but turning it on to show the links for every page causes it to stretch the page horizontally to a completely unacceptable level. You would be side scrolling for 2-3 pages on every forum just to see the right-column information. There's apparently no facility for letting the page links wrap to a new line.

I would like to post a solution/idea about this.
The old boards showed the first few pages and the last few pages. These boards show only the first 10-something pages. Maybe it could show the last 10-something pages?

Chris_Chandler
2006-11-01, 12:58 PM
I know that on another forum that uses vBulletin, subthreads are enabled. I would very much like to see this put into effect. It is a powerful, robust tool for administrating individual games.

Shea Landford
2006-11-01, 07:02 PM
I would like avatars to come back. I haven't read anything that says they will be coming back, so I'm just saying they should. And the Personal Text thing with them too.

HempRope
2006-11-01, 09:28 PM
They're working on bringing avatars back. It does, in fact, say so in many places.

In at least three threads in this forum, including this one, actually.

There are some issues with custom avatars they want to resolve first.

And, if you read the Announcement entitled 'Changes in the Board Software (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=25&a=4),' you might read this:

Edit Avatar will have more features once avatars have been re-enabled in the forum, as they are currently disabled, due to some issues with how custom avatars work.

HempRope
2006-11-01, 11:58 PM
Well, actually, they do. Whenever someone votes but doesn't post it still bumps the thread. That can be annoying.That's really the worst part. Even if it's something I'm interested in, when I look at the forum, the thread says that there's been a recent post, but it's only been a new vote. Is there some way to fix that, or at least make it so they don't bump when they're voted on?
Seconded. This is ridiculous.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-02, 04:57 AM
No gender indication. It can really confuse some people.

Can we get that back?

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-02, 01:26 PM
I would like to see some sort of mouseover/tooltip text for the buttons on the reply page. Many of the icons just aren't doing it for me. (I'm still trying to figure out why some of them don't apparently do anything at all.)

Asmodeus
2006-11-03, 02:50 PM
Dear Santa/Rawhide-

How are you? Did you enjoy the cookies I left you last year?

I have been very good this year. I haven't simu-posted anyone in a whole month! I think the new forums are the bestest evar!

This year for x-mas, I want a bigger PM box. I'm at 95 and about to run out of space.

If you can't do that, then how about a pony?

With love and butterscotch,
Asmodeus

P.S. If you accept bribes, I'll leave you cookies with extra chocolate chips this year.

HempRope
2006-11-03, 04:22 PM
Okay, so I've got one final (I hope) feature request. I always use the alt+s shortcut to 'send' posts. On the old board, I used to preview quite a lot, too, though I don't so much now that you can edit without getting a big long line about when things were edited. However, I still do preview if I'm messing aroudn with a lot of formatting or writing many paragraphs. Unfortunately, the alt+p shortcut no longer works for the 'preview' command. Is it possible to restore this feature? Is so, please do that.:smile:

(For the record, I use Firefox -- I really hope it isn't IE only now for some reason.)

Dispozition
2006-11-04, 03:47 AM
A simple little language request...

I've notices that all of the codes require American spelling to use, take colour for example. You can't use

Hey!

You have to use color and gray. If you could get it so that you can use either spelling, it would be great. Thanks.

InaVegt
2006-11-04, 03:50 AM
Hey

works

Filler in grey

Dispozition
2006-11-04, 03:52 AM
Eh?

But not with Colour...Which is the English spelling, not the American..GOod to know that Grey works though...

Rawhide
2006-11-04, 03:53 AM
A simple little language request...

I've notices that all of the codes require American spelling to use, take colour for example. You can't use

You have to use color and gray. If you could get it so that you can use either spelling, it would be great. Thanks.
This is a HTML issue, not a board issue. All HTML code is in the American spelling.

Dispozition
2006-11-04, 03:56 AM
Ah well...It was worth a try...

InaVegt
2006-11-04, 08:16 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to change the new posts / no new posts sign of subforums in the main place of the forum to smaller versions of the footprints when the forum is visible with description.

RawBearNYC
2006-11-04, 12:20 PM
Hey

works

Filler in grey

"grey" doesn't work in the IE engine, it shows up as green. Don't use it, only use "gray".

Karsh
2006-11-06, 05:53 PM
Would it be possible to grant a thread starter the ability to edit the title of the thread again? It's very helpful in the OOC Gaming Forum to change the thread title to reflect whether a game is recruiting, under review, or closed.

Asmodeus
2006-11-06, 05:56 PM
Actually, in addition to that, it would be nice if the Thread Starter in the IC games forums had power to delete individual posts from the threads.

Azrael
2006-11-06, 06:15 PM
Actually, in addition to that, it would be nice if the Thread Starter in the IC games forums had power to delete individual posts from the threads.

HA! Yeah. I don't think that's gonna happen though. V-i-g-i-l-a-n-t-e

Rawhide
2006-11-06, 06:18 PM
Would it be possible to grant a thread starter the ability to edit the title of the thread again? It's very helpful in the OOC Gaming Forum to change the thread title to reflect whether a game is recruiting, under review, or closed.
You do have this power, someone just has to figure out how, see my suggestions over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1518946#post1518946) and report back to that thread.

Asmodeus
2006-11-06, 08:11 PM
HA! Yeah. I don't think that's gonna happen though. V-i-g-i-l-a-n-t-e

The idea is that the thread starter only gets power within his own thread. Not within the entire forum.

If a DM ends up becoming abusive, he can't hurt any games except for his own, and the players in that game will leave for a DM who can handle themselves.

HempRope
2006-11-06, 08:56 PM
I doubt it is possible to set this feature for only the IC and OOC forums.

Especially if this were to exclude the SMBG.

Asmodeus
2006-11-06, 09:38 PM
It is possible. Just takes the right code. There is already the possiblity of allowing users to delete, open/close, and move their own threads.

What it would require is a new permission setting. Permissions are already adjustable on a per-forum basis.

admins, if you think this is something worthwhile, let me know and i'll either find a mod for you, or build one myself.

Hefty Lefty
2006-11-07, 06:52 PM
I know someone must've already requested this, so I'm sorry in advance for repeating, but please bring back avatars and display names!

HempRope
2006-11-07, 09:54 PM
Avatars are high priority... this is reiterated often.

Display names aren't coming back. If you had a different display name on the old forum, you may request in the specially designated thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26299) for it to be changed to whatever that was, but this will only be done for you once.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-10, 04:04 PM
Okay, there is now a post by a recently registered forum-goer that brings to attention an interesting problem. This forum-goer registered with a very long name using underscores rather than spaces. This name does not break onto different lines, and as a result, this member's user-information space on the left side of the post takes up about half of the horizontal room for the post area. That box becomes annoyingly huge and is a major distraction. I know this problem will be reduced once we have avatars back online and the user names go to a smaller font size, but I'm not sure if it will be eliminated. I think it would be a good idea to either eliminate usernames with underscores (replacing them all with spaces) or to set things up so there are linebreaks at underscores.

Along those lines, why do some folks wind up with user-information boxes that are smaller than what otherwise appears to be the minimum width?

Rawhide
2006-11-10, 04:11 PM
Along those lines, why do some folks wind up with user-information boxes that are smaller than what otherwise appears to be the minimum width?
Check the size of their signatures.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-11-10, 05:33 PM

Check the size of their signatures.
It also seems to happen occasionally if someone has a large table, image, or similar object in their post that's wider than the normal post content area.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-10, 06:13 PM
And yet some folks still manage to inflict the Horizontal Scroll of Doom™. :smallwink: (BTW, someone on this page seems to be doing that right now. It looks like RawBear, despite his sig image's small width. It's just centered with a massive amount of whitespace padding it out. Only other possible culprit seems to be the Quote and HTML Code boxes. Captain van der Decken is off the hook because his image doesn't cause problems for me in any other threads.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-10, 06:44 PM
Okay, I dredged up a couple other threads in which RawBear and the Captain have posted. Neither one has horizontal scroll on the relevant page.

[hr]Wait a tic, I'm not on the correct page...

[hr]Okay, checked again. Both of 'em check out.

Nearest I can figure is the Quote Box.

Rawhide
2006-11-10, 07:44 PM
Nearest I can figure is the Quote Box.
Just a possibility, have you tried looking closer to home?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-10, 09:07 PM
None of my posts have ever run into that problem. With or without the table.

Tyriq
2006-11-10, 10:57 PM
I'd love to see an update to Spoiler so that we can change the word that it shows. I've seen this done for quote boxes on other forums, but it would be especially useful for these nifty Spoiler boxes.

Example:

Here's where I'd put my disappearing signature with avatars and whatnot inside!

HempRope
2006-11-11, 06:39 PM
@ SW-- I noticed this too, a bit back, and I think it's this post (not all of it can be quoted, follow link if need be). The code-in-quote looks like the problem.

"grey" doesn't work in the IE engine, it shows up as green. Don't use it, only use "gray".

Rawhide
2006-11-11, 06:51 PM
[html] and [code] uses a fixed width box it seems

Rawhide
2006-11-19, 02:32 AM
This thread will be unstickied in 7 days time.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-20, 04:47 PM
Here's an idea: Buddy List Groupings.

Just for the ease of contact, I've put the folks in the PbP games in which I am participating on my Buddy List. I would find it nice to be able to group the list by which PbP game they're in. I'm sure other folks would also find it useful for other grouping schemes as well.

Om
2006-11-22, 12:38 PM
Could we please have a wikipedia tag? Something like "". It saves having to copy in the address/link every time.