PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal the Cannibal

Thajocoth
2012-11-29, 02:15 PM
The topic of Dr. Hannibal Lecter came up in another thread & there were enough posts there on it that I am extracting the topic into it's own thread.

So far:

To paraphrase Dr Lecter on Buffalo Bill: "he's not a transexual, he just hates himself". Unfortunately a lot of media miss that distinction.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Lecter. The Hannibal series is the only one that ever made me consider picking up the books for it. (I'm still considering it.)

I think most people miss how human Dr. Lecter really is; how he isn't really a monster. His way of helping others is often sadistic, but it's also more meaningful. In Silence of the Lambs, he's one of the very few male characters that doesn't put the moves on Clarice in a very creepy way (or at all, really). When he finally does in Hannibal, his gestures are very clearly sincere. It is her that he likes, not aspects & pieces of her, not just her body.

He feeds off her mentally. In doing so, he creates a certain type of bond. I knew from their very first interaction that Clarice was not & never would be on the menu for him. A little more & it was clear that he'd kill to protect her if such a situation arose. The writer very clearly understands intellectual sadism in a way that most people do not. The way he interrogated Clarice to specifically find her worst memory, have her relive it, and savor her anguish, reminded me of some of my Omegle conversations I've had prior to seeing these films.

So Dr. Lecter is a very smart man. I think pointing out that he can see that Buffalo Bill is not a real transexual; that his self-worth is simply at rock bottom, so he's going for the most drastic self-change he can think of in hopes that it will change who he is and make him worth something; is there in part to underline Dr. Lecter's intelligence. Specifically, it shows his knowledge of how other people's anguish works, which comes in part from this intellectual sadism of his. It's likely why he became a psychologist to begin with. (Even seeing Hannibal Rises makes it difficult to be sure of this, but it makes perfect sense.)

What a gentleman. Anyway, I read The Red Dragon when I was sixteen; it's pretty good, though not as labyrinthine as I usually like for detective fiction, so I didn't continue the series. I'd still recommend it, though, if you're interested. But I thought Hannibal was a silly movie ("That smells great!"), and the trailers for Hannibal Rising didn't leave much of an impression on me at the time. I actually forgot it existed until you brought it up just now.

Honestly, Hannibal Rising was missing something that the other films in the series had. I can't quite place what it is, but it feels... plastic? Hannibal is currently my favorite movie (I didn't have a favorite movie before watching this series), but there is one problem I have with it. Such a smart man who practices cannibalism quite regularly choosing to eat human brain. He should know better. He should know all about the human prion disease "Kuru" & the high risks of getting it by eating human brain. Also, near the end of the movie (around the same time as the brain eating scene), Clarice's character seemed to flatten out in a way that suggests to me that the book ended differently than the movie, but I wouldn't know.

As for the quote, I think you're referring again to the brain-eating scene. The man is missing a portion of his frontal lobe & likes the smell of it cooking. He's also drugged, I believe. Considering his decreased mental capacity, lack of knowledge of what's cooking, and the similarity human meat has with pork, I don't see the quote as far-fetched. Or am I wrong about what you're referring to?

No, that's what I meant. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. I don't think the movie's even bad--it's actually very good looking--it just doesn't work as a thriller for me. I'm interested, though: why did you like it? Did you watch it as a scary movie, or did you get something else out of it that I missed?

It would not work for me as a scary movie as Hannibal Lecter is the character I can most relate to & generally root for. I also don't see cannibalism as evil. We bury & burn tons of perfectly usable meat regularly, then complain there's a shortage. I'd most certainly try it if available. Most of his victims are chosen for their transgressions, making him often a hero. Unfortunately some die to prevent his capture and killing a guy so a musical group would sound better is something I disagree with, but on average he's a good guy.

I enjoyed the movies as works of fiction; good stories, not thrillers. It's rare to see an intellectual sadist portrayed so accurately, rather than being a stereotypical obvious villain that monologues instead of killing the obvious hero.

Man. If you like Hannibal, you MUST pick up the books. The character is a million times more developed in the books. Even though Anthony Hopkins did an AMAZING job showing the character, there's just a lot that gets said by just description and the like that deepens the character and would have been impossible to show on-screen in a movie any more than what Anthony Hopkins did. The Hannibal book also DOES end differently and, in my opinion, much better. I have no idea why they changed the ending.

Well, if I ever I need more details, I know whose brains to pick.

On Hanibal (apologies if I mix up the names. ^_^') as a hero:
While I have not seen the films or read the books, I personally would classify that as an anti-hero at best. Enforcing your own morality on others (ie. punishing them for acts you consider evil) is questionable and outright murdering them sounds like the Punisher to me. Not the the Punisher is evil, but Frank Castle is the poster-child of grim anti-heroes. X3

I apologise if there is more to it or if the character kills those who escaped punishment*. If that is the case, then I would still call it anti-heroism, but much closer to heroism, and thus merely a small disagreement. ^_^'

*This would be a more gruesome version of the Bat-family vigilantism. Though less justified as the Bat-family tend to leave the criminals to the justice system and merely act as extra law enforcement, but still arguable heroic. :smallsmile:

On cannibalism:
Much agreed there. I believe there are some worrying health risks involved that would make it a bad decision to eat human meat, but I would much agree that it is no more or less moral than eating any other animal's meat, given that one does not cause emotional hurt to the survivors or disrupt science/investigation by doing it. It is so very very very very sad whenever anything autonomous dies and unfathomably so when a human does, but we should not then portray the following acts as evil just because it is against the local tradition. In other places and times, it would be completely opposite, with cannibalism being the only respectful way to let the remains return to the cycle, after all. And I am not just saying that because I am a Kobold, I am borderline vegetarian! Totally!
>_>
<_<

Have to stress that we should respect a dead person's living wishes if we can, we should still care about what they thought and meant in life even after it ends. Everybody deserves that :smallsmile:

Sorry if any of that seems creepy, I am trying not to be too analytical about stuff that makes people uneasy. A thousand cookies if I accidentally did that to anyone. ^_^'

I tend to see traditional heroes as a bit lawful-stupid. If Batman killed The Joker, The Joker would cause far less deaths. In that way, all the blood of The Joker's victims are on Batman's hands. For this reason, I tend to refer to anti-heroes as heroes.

That said... Hannibal would still not really be a hero or anti-hero.

As an example: There's a guy that's a complete jerk. He runs the facility Hannibal is kept in. He puts the moves on Clarice when she stops by in a fairly creepy way, making it clear that he just sees women as sex objects. He listens in on her conversation with Hannibal after being instructed by an FBI agent (Clarice) not to do so. He's also a jerk to Hannibal the whole time.

He's done nothing illegal, but his whole character is a jerk. He's Hannibal's first victim upon escaping & there is no reason to feel bad for him. Right before this, Hannibal tells Clarice on the phone that he's going to "have an old friend for dinner".

That's his usual MO. In Hannibal Rising, his victims are all war criminals who ate his sister during WW2 & got away with it, so that's a bit more heroic (or anti-heroic, or revengeful, they all kinda blur together). In Hannibal, he kills a man who is trying to arrest him, but you can see that he has some respect for this victim. He even offers him an option regarding his death & is quite theatrical about the whole ordeal. "Just another kill" wouldn't require a show. This man came close to catching Dr. Lecter, who has respect for worthy opponents such as him.

There is one exception I've seen in the series though: There's a group of musicians who use their voice. I guess it's a sort of operatic choir type thing. He kills the guy who's voice is throwing off the rest of the performance to improve the sound of the rest of the group. I can't defend that kill.

bluewind95
2012-11-30, 10:46 PM
The death of the musician (if it's the one in Silence of the Lambs) is far more complicated than that.

I dunno. I love the character of Hannibal, but I can't call him heroic in any way or form. He's a monster... with very high standards.

I think what makes him so complex is that he isn't "just" a monster. He IS very human. He embodies the worst in humans, with some of the best traits, mixing into a horrific, chilling creature, born from the nicest things (his sister) and the worst (the horrific crimes towards the sister and the rest of the children there). So he never becomes "just" a monster that you can classify as "the other" and make him less than human. He's completely and terribly human, which is one of the things that makes him so... well... chilling.

Raimun
2012-11-30, 11:18 PM
People actually root for Hannibal the cannibal?

Sure, he's intelligent, knows what makes people tick and is far from being one dimensional. I'd really like to hear what made the guy in the next cell to kill himself after hannibal had a little chat with him in The Silence of the Lambs... or perhaps not.

But I wouldn't call him a hero or anything even remotely close. Two wrongs do not make a right and all that. Even if he did do some nice things in his life.

Also, cannibalism is just wrong. If that's arbitrary, I don't want to be nonarbitrary. Curiously, I do think it's okay to eat other animals.

ArlEammon
2012-11-30, 11:32 PM
People actually root for Hannibal the cannibal?

Sure, he's intelligent, knows what makes people tick and is far from being one dimensional. I'd really like to hear what made the guy in the next cell to kill himself after hannibal had a little chat with him in The Silence of the Lambs... or perhaps not.

But I wouldn't call him a hero or anything even remotely close. Two wrongs do not make a right and all that. Even if he did do some nice things in his life.

Also, cannibalism is just wrong. If that's arbitrary, I don't want to be nonarbitrary. Curiously, I do think it's okay to eat other animals.

Amber, if I catch you on the internet again, there will be no Friskies in your kitty bowl ever again!

doc neon
2012-12-01, 01:26 AM
I actually watched Silence of the Lambs about a week ago for an English product. The sense that I got, and this is somewhat emotional, is that we're supposed to be disgusted by Hannibal, but also enthralled by him. As Clarice says when she finds the head, we're supposed to be, "exhilarated," but, like her, feel guilty about it.

I mean, compared to the rest of the serial killers in the asylum, he seems a nice enough guy. He wants a view; aww, isn't that nice? But then he reminds you with the Chianti line that he's a monster. His interactions with Clarice are probably the most cordial she has with any other male, besides maybe Crawford, in the movie; at least until he starts dissecting her psychologically. One of his demands is just a nice gourmet meal and some music, which he supplements with some guard. The scene where he escapes is probably the best indicator of his lack of hero-dom. It's just too brutal, and, most importantly, too unprovoked, to be anything that a hero would consider doing. And the scene where he phantom-conducts the music in the blood of the guards? No anti-hero would do that (or listen to classical, for that matter).

Yeah, he does some nice things, and yes, he is overall a cordial and charismatic character, even likable. Keeping in mind that I'm just going off of the one film, he doesn't seem like a hero or villain, more just as kind of existing outside of our morals.

Thajocoth
2012-12-01, 09:00 PM
...existing outside of our morals.

I think you found it right there. I don't find him to be a hero exactly, but compared to the other characters in the series, he has some of the best personality traits. He's one of the few that seems to have any respect for other people. Since I don't see cannibalism on it's own as evil or bad in any way, seeing it actually as a decrease in wastefulness (and something I'd be curious to try if in a scenario where it's legal), that leaves only the murders themselves as evil deeds to me. The murders in the series, are usually either in self defense or of a character we have no reason to feel sorry for. He specifically does not murder Clarice, harming himself instead when given the choice between himself & her.

This makes it easy for me to see him as having only one bad mark on him in the series: Killing the musician.

The death of the musician (if it's the one in Silence of the Lambs) is far more complicated than that.

...Interesting. They didn't really give it much more than simply that in the movie.

People actually root for Hannibal the cannibal?Yes

I will agree that killing humans for meat is wrong (unless they specifically want to die; their life = their choice), but the eating of them once they're dead I will disagree with you on. I believe that burying or especially burning many tons of meat each day is wastefully wrong as a species. Once the person dies, what they leave behind is simply meat. It is not them anymore. It needs no more special treatment at that point than a cow or a deer would. As omnivores, we eat vegetation & meat. I really just do not understand why we should ignore edible meat purely because of what animal it used to be. It's completely a "social norm" thing & is irresponsible of our society to perpetuate. (Granted, there are far bigger such irresponsibilities perpetuated by society... Perhaps with enough time.)

Brother Oni
2012-12-02, 06:57 AM
I will agree that killing humans for meat is wrong (unless they specifically want to die; their life = their choice), but the eating of them once they're dead I will disagree with you on.

The courts will disagree with you on the former (I believe there was a case in Germany where the consumer was found guilty of killing his willing victim), but I philosophically agree with you on the latter.

On a more practical level, consumption of human flesh is of dubious worth, simply because of the possibility of disease transmission. It's not the kuru and other exotic diseases that's the issue, it's more the common things like hepatitis and HIV or a simple S. aureus infection.
Interestingly humans seem to be instinctively aware of this, hence why most cultures that regularly eat human flesh tend to have the act highly ritualised, to overcome this aversion.

Thajocoth
2012-12-03, 01:33 PM
The courts will disagree with you on the former (I believe there was a case in Germany where the consumer was found guilty of killing his willing victim), but I philosophically agree with you on the latter.

On a more practical level, consumption of human flesh is of dubious worth, simply because of the possibility of disease transmission. It's not the kuru and other exotic diseases that's the issue, it's more the common things like hepatitis and HIV or a simple S. aureus infection.
Interestingly humans seem to be instinctively aware of this, hence why most cultures that regularly eat human flesh tend to have the act highly ritualised, to overcome this aversion.

Armin Miewes. I'm aware of the case. He posted online looking for a victim. Said what he was looking for up front. Got a few bites, but most backed out. One agreed and after a few e-mails back & forth, bought a 1-way train ticket to meet Mr. Miewes. Because of the consent, German courts were initially going to call it "manslaughter" (an ironically accurate charge), but when they found that in his victim's last moments, he was given alcohol to dull the pain of death, despite the e-mails & 1-way ticket & everything, they declared "too drunk to consent" and bumped it up to first degree murder.

Most of Armin's sentence, therefore, is for giving alcohol to a dying man.

As for infections... I cook meat before eating it. That takes care of most of them, including HIV & Hepatitus. As a matter of fact, heat is, like, the only reliable way to kill Hep C. I've taken a few classes in handling human blood, and I remember one of them talking about Hep C still surviving after blood is spilled on a surface weeks later, even after it's been bleached, but heat will kill it. HIV won't survive without a host. It dies within hours, if I remember right. The teacher for this class & her husband that she was demonstrating scalpel & needle use on are both medical professionals, so I trust their knowledge.

Brother Oni
2012-12-04, 07:28 AM
As for infections... I cook meat before eating it.

Ah, but do you cook it enough? Hep A can survive up to 85C and while you can pretty much guarantee the outside and most of the exterior of the meat will reach or exceed this temperature, the inside may not reach the required temperature for long enough.

Thankfully our acid stomach does a fairly good job of catching mostly cooked stuff, but you only need one ingestion of infected meat to slip by and you're infected.
Given what you can get by simply eating normal meat, the additional risk of human flesh simply makes it unpractical, barring no other options.

It's worthy of note that most fictional depictions of cannibalism in 'advanced' cultures involves heavily processing the meat in some way, be it from Sweeney Todd's meat pies (the filling is pre-cooked before being baked as a pie), to whatever it is they do for Soylent Green.

Avilan the Grey
2012-12-04, 08:47 AM
The canibalism issue is moot in this discussion, although I am disgusted by the idea, since Hannibal is a murderer. I don't care if person x is "a creep", murder is 10.000 times worse than anything that person did, ever.

He is well written as a monster, which makes him a three-dimensional character. That doesn't change anything. He is still a monster and should be treated like a monster.

Wookieetank
2012-12-07, 11:17 AM
The canibalism issue is moot in this discussion, although I am disgusted by the idea, since Hannibal is a murderer. I don't care if person x is "a creep", murder is 10.000 times worse than anything that person did, ever.

He is well written as a monster, which makes him a three-dimensional character. That doesn't change anything. He is still a monster and should be treated like a monster.

So as colorfully wrapped XP that the party will soon gain then. :smallwink:

KnightDisciple
2012-12-07, 12:45 PM
Ugh. I'm going to be blunt, I can't believe people actually hold up Hannibal Lecter as anything approaching a good guy.

1.)He's not even really a vigilante; he's killed a few people, sure, but he's done nothing to really change society, or protect anyone. He just goes after people who offend his warped sensibilities (or who are trying to stop him, or get in his way, or are a witness...).
2.)Unlike superheroes, he kills people. Often in super-painful and 'ironic' ways, so they don't even get the quick death they would from the likes of the Punisher. Oh, and then he eats their dead bodies.

As for the whole "cannibalism should totally be a thing!" argument, I see a few problems with that.

1.)There are plenty of religious beliefs that that would likely clash with. It'd be disrespectful to a lot of those folks.
2.)You'd have to overcome the instinctual "ew factor".
3.)So much for funerals or wakes or viewings! Why do I say that? Well, you'd have to "process" the dead before they started to decompose, which happens pretty quickly. As well, you'd have to not let people do the typical steps taken before a funeral to preserve the body so it's presentable and non-stinky, which means funerals, if you let them happen at all, would be like 1-2 days later, which means extended families wouldn't make it there in time. Also, there's the whole awkward "load them on a meat truck instead of in a hearse" thing.
4.)It's disrespectful to the wishes of the deceased and their families, who likely wish for a more solemn fate than "burgers for the dude down the street". And in this country, who are you to say they can't be burned in a Viking-esque ceremony, hm?
5.)The usable meat would likely be less than you think, statistically. Anyone who died of a disease is out. Accident victims would likely leave less than you think. People old enough often have pretty frail bodies. And so on.
6.)Major health risks, risks I don't think cooking could overcome. Especially if it became a regular part of the human diet, rather than outlier situations. There would likely be a surge of prion diseases and the like.
7.)What's wrong with letting bodies return to the earth, dust to dust, ashes to ashes, etc? Seems like it wouldn't hurt the ground any...

Point is, it's not going to happen. Which is good.

Tiki Snakes
2012-12-07, 12:47 PM
There's also the fact that, reputedly, humans just don't taste very good. All that fuss and all that risk and all those offended objectors and for substandard fare.

Pass. :smallsmile:

Kindablue
2012-12-07, 01:22 PM
There's also the fact that, reputedly, humans just don't taste very good. All that fuss and all that risk and all those offended objectors and for substandard fare.

Pass. :smallsmile:

It varies from person to person.

Brother Oni
2012-12-07, 01:36 PM
There's also the fact that, reputedly, humans just don't taste very good.

Funny, everything I heard suggests that human meat doesn't taste too dissimilar to pork, and has even been mistaken for it on occasion.

I suppose if you're one of the many people who don't eat pork for ethical/philosophical/religious reasons, then human wouldn't taste very nice.

Fragenstein
2012-12-07, 01:55 PM
Funny, everything I heard suggests that human meat doesn't taste too dissimilar to pork, and has even been mistaken for it on occasion.

I suppose if you're one of the many people who don't eat pork for ethical/philosophical/religious reasons, then human wouldn't taste very nice.

Legends of long-pig aside, most humans have a very high protein intake which would naturally give us the gamey flavor of any other predator. Which leads to thoughts of whether or not a lifetime vegan would taste better than the average linebacker...

Thajocoth
2012-12-07, 04:01 PM
On the taste:

Here are the bits & pieces that I've heard from various sources (some were from articles that interviewed cannibals, one was from an article about a food tasting machine that a reporter stuck his finger in despite being told not to do that (the machine thought his dirty finger was a type of fancy sweetened pork hors d'oeuvre), some from the Discovery or History channel (I forget which), some came from other parts of the internet):

- Taste is similar to pork, but blander & sweeter (possibly with a hint of something not unlike banana, but only one of the descriptions mentions that)
- Preservatives, pesticides and artificial chemicals in our diets decrease our meat quality. An organic vegan diet would improve it.
- We are wild animals. Domesticated animals have their taste effected by regular feeding times with a regular diet & everything about their schedule being regular in life. We are going to be a bit gamier than them.
- Females more tender, males tougher. This is likely a cultural thing though, as the cases that have mentioned this would've been of cases where men did more physical labor and therefore had tougher muscles for societal reasons.
- People who try it almost always wish they could try it again, even if they accept it as morally and/or legally wrong and therefore won't. (One exception I'm aware of, who is coincidentally in a situation where he might want parole.) Some sources seem to suggest that something is actually narcotically addictive about it, but there do not seem to be specifics on that.

-----

On culture:

- I do not believe pre-existing culture should get in the way of things. It is culture that holds grudges for thousands of years and erupts into the same wars in a new format. It is culture that decides that some people are better than others. I care not for the adherence to or preservation of any culture.

- I had a link saved to an article on genetics of cannibalism before my old hard drive failed. I wish I still had that link. Basically, they've determined that we have genetic adaptations related to our ancestors' cannibalism, which exists for all humans regardless of origin. There was a certain pair of genes, that people would have one or the other and, well, the article is far better at explaining it than I.

- Our language and culture is littered with cannibalistic things that are merely offset. Look at how romanticized vampires are, for example. They're monsters that drink your blood, but Dracula, True Blood, etc... Vampires are romanticized. Succubi & incubi are other good examples. Our nature here is not all that strong, so it can be easily placated by myth & fiction. There was another article I used to have a link to that'd be great to cite here as well, as it gives far more examples than I can remember off the top of my head, but elusions to cannibalism are very pervasive.

- I believe that if cannibalism became an accepted practice, that the food industry would be forced to increase it's quality to increase our quality. This would improve quality & length of life.

- When I die, after all my reusable parts are taken out for hospital use, I'd prefer that what remains not be wasted. Meat, leather... Whatever can be done with it should be. I'll no longer be using it, so it'd be nice for it to get whatever use it can, if legally allowed by then.

Brother Oni
2012-12-07, 06:45 PM
- Our language and culture is littered with cannibalistic things that are merely offset. Look at how romanticized vampires are, for example. They're monsters that drink your blood, but Dracula, True Blood, etc... Vampires are romanticized. Succubi & incubi are other good examples.

I'd be careful about the romanticised vampires part. Prior to Bram Stoker's Dracula, vampires were typically regarded as dirt grubbing monsters, with no hint of romance at all.
Modern representation of the seductive vampire started with the Hammer horror films, which neatly dovetails with the Anne Rice books, then into the series you've mentioned.

I believe succubi and incubi are more well known for their representation of the sexual aspect of the human psyche, rather than devouring people, although I don't doubt they did something nasty with their victims post coitus.

ArlEammon
2012-12-07, 07:00 PM
how On Earth, Faerun, Tamriel, Oerth, Toril Has This Thread Not Been Reported Already!!!!

ArlEammon
2012-12-07, 08:07 PM
THe reason I haven't reported myself is because it is sort of an okay thread, but I'm unsure why it hasn't been reported because it veered from the fictional character of Hannibal, to the idea that cannibalism should be legal, which I believe violates the board rules about politics. (well, legal issues)

Thajocoth
2012-12-07, 08:12 PM
THe reason I haven't reported myself is because it is sort of an okay thread, but I'm unsure why it hasn't been reported because it veered from the fictional character of Hannibal, to the idea that cannibalism should be legal, which I believe violates the board rules about politics. (well, legal issues)

The morality & practicality of cannibalism have been discussed. That's not really the same as discussing legalizing it. Legally, I've only mentioned that since it's illegal, I wouldn't do it, which is not asking for legal advice.

ArlEammon
2012-12-07, 08:12 PM
The morality & practicality of cannibalism have been discussed. That's not really the same as discussing legalizing it.

Alright. As soon as I got a hint of legality in here, I thought it was more creepy than I could take.

Water_Bear
2012-12-07, 08:13 PM
Personally I don't see Lector as a hero, except in the prequel which I prefer to ignore, because he doesn't really seem to want to do anything except continue to eat people and hang out with Clarice Starling. Even the eating people thing seems more like a compulsion than anything else. Someone made the vampire comparison earlier, and it's somewhat apt; he's like if you jumped to a random point in the life of a particularly amoral and pretentious vampire, not really doing much but picking up "I've been alive during important events!" credit and eating people.

how On Earth, Faerun, Tamriel, Oerth, Toril Has This Thread Not Been Reported Already!!!!

Because it's a calm reasonable discussion of a piece of media and the cultural/ethical issues it deals with?

ArlEammon
2012-12-07, 08:19 PM
Personally I don't see Lector as a hero, except in the prequel which I prefer to ignore, because he doesn't really seem to want to do anything except continue to eat people and hang out with Clarice Starling. Even the eating people thing seems more like a compulsion than anything else. Someone made the vampire comparison earlier, and it's somewhat apt; he's like if you jumped to a random point in the life of a particularly amoral and pretentious vampire, not really doing much but picking up "I've been alive during important events!" credit and eating people.

Because it's a calm reasonable discussion of a piece of media and the cultural/ethical issues it deals with?

Read my post above. I read this incorrectly and found it talking about legalizing cannibalism. :/

It's an honest mistake alot of people can and do make.

MLai
2012-12-08, 07:35 AM
Human cannibalism would be very impractical in the modern world, even if we completely discount ethics/culture, and even if we only serve it as a rare expensive delicacy.

In order to be on the menu with any standards and consistency, enough to build an industry/service around, humans would need to be farmed. That's how we process chickens, pigs, cows: We control their diet, then march them to the slaughterhouse and eat them in the prime of their lives. Can't do that with humans. Nobody wants to eat 80 y/o ppl who died of renal failure. And you can't rely on accident victims because of the inconsistent methods and times of death. We don't eat old cows and sick cows and cows that died by falling into a ditch.

That's also why they can't be served as delicacies. 80 y/o dead ppl aren't delicacies.

The only practical way that I can see is if we process all felons (doesn't matter what felony) as food as soon as they're found guilty. Clean them up, give them good diet/exercise for a year, then off to the slaughterhouse.

I think you'd only contract kuru if you eat the brain. We don't eat brains of any animal anyways.

Mystic Muse
2012-12-08, 09:20 AM
I think you'd only contract kuru if you eat the brain. We don't eat brains of any animal anyways.

I know for a fact my Grandpa (May he rest in Peace) had a pig brain sandwich, and I'm pretty sure those still exist.

Maybe most people don't, but there's no guarantee that applies to everyone.

Brother Oni
2012-12-08, 09:35 AM

Off the top of my head (pun not intended), brawn is made with the head of a calf or goat and although the brain, eyes and other internal gubbins are usually removed, sometimes they were retained during the soaking stage.

According to wikipedia, there are also a number of offal dishes that utilise brain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_%28food%29), but they are very much in decline since the discovery of TSEs.

Arachu
2012-12-08, 03:27 PM
As for the whole "cannibalism should totally be a thing!" argument, I see a few problems with that.

1.)There are plenty of religious beliefs that that would likely clash with. It'd be disrespectful to a lot of those folks.
2.)You'd have to overcome the instinctual "ew factor".
3.)So much for funerals or wakes or viewings! Why do I say that? Well, you'd have to "process" the dead before they started to decompose, which happens pretty quickly. As well, you'd have to not let people do the typical steps taken before a funeral to preserve the body so it's presentable and non-stinky, which means funerals, if you let them happen at all, would be like 1-2 days later, which means extended families wouldn't make it there in time. Also, there's the whole awkward "load them on a meat truck instead of in a hearse" thing.
4.)It's disrespectful to the wishes of the deceased and their families, who likely wish for a more solemn fate than "burgers for the dude down the street". And in this country, who are you to say they can't be burned in a Viking-esque ceremony, hm?
5.)The usable meat would likely be less than you think, statistically. Anyone who died of a disease is out. Accident victims would likely leave less than you think. People old enough often have pretty frail bodies. And so on.
6.)Major health risks, risks I don't think cooking could overcome. Especially if it became a regular part of the human diet, rather than outlier situations. There would likely be a surge of prion diseases and the like.
7.)What's wrong with letting bodies return to the earth, dust to dust, ashes to ashes, etc? Seems like it wouldn't hurt the ground any...

Point is, it's not going to happen. Which is good.

These are good points (especially the health bit), but he did mention that the deceased should be willing to be processed in such a way. Their families might not always agree, but it seems like people should have the final say on what happens to their own bodies.

- Females more tender, males tougher. This is likely a cultural thing though, as the cases that have mentioned this would've been of cases where men did more physical labor and therefore had tougher muscles for societal reasons.

Sounds cultural. I've heard testosterone spoils meat, though (pigs are castrated over it, as though being raised in a pen and slaughtered weren't enough).

- People who try it almost always wish they could try it again, even if they accept it as morally and/or legally wrong and therefore won't. (One exception I'm aware of, who is coincidentally in a situation where he might want parole.) Some sources seem to suggest that something is actually narcotically addictive about it, but there do not seem to be specifics on that.

That... Would explain a surprising amount of cases. :smalleek:

Some people do, but as Oni pointed out it's even more uncommon than it used to be. Even eating meat that was carved with the same blade as infected brain will get you contracting it, and I'm not sure whether any amount of sterilization (that butchers have access to, and that wouldn't destroy the blade itself or leave toxins on it) could reliably destroy it.

~Bianca