PDA

View Full Version : Street Brawler Base Class

Vazzaroth
2006-10-28, 07:50 PM
I've been thinking about this idea for awhile now, and want some input. First of all , I'll start with the concept, later I will add specific class progression. Im not sure if this idea was publishesed somewhere that I am not aware of, becuse Im fairly sure it is a popular idea.

Ok, Basic Concept:
A fist fighting character, very similar to monks, but without their intense training. Becuse they are so similar in style, I will use Monk as a starting point, and make variations to that class. I'm hoping to make enough changes to make it seem like a new class, and not just a varient, but I want to keep it balanced as well.

These chracters gain their training the hard way: on the streets. Most of these people are either completly self taught, or were given a basic understanding of martial arts from a monk school before either being kicked out or leaving after realizing that life was not for them. Most were beaten up many more times than they won until the established their fighting skills, and they are quite tough becuse of it, even if they do not know as many techniques as their monk cousins.

Ok, there is basic Idea, here is some in-game ideas.
DIffrences from Monk:
-d10 HD, they are slightly more hardy as they were not as sheltered as a monk in a monestary.
-Best BAB progression. In lieu of Flurry of blows and the monk's Middle BAB. Brawlers are not as agile, but a little more accurate and strong for lack of speed.
-Brawlers are able to wear Light armor and still benefit from all their abilities. They do NOT gain the bonus feats usually gained by monks at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level. The brawler's manuvers are just as strong, but less complex as the monks. This allows them to protect themselves alittle better by sacrificing some manuverability.

[hr]

I am breaking off here. I am pressed for time at the moment, but would like comments/suggestions. I will add more later, when Im not busy! :D

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 07:54 PM
I might recommend giving a few bonus feats in exchange for the more esoteric supernatural abilities, and giving them Decisive Strike (monk variant from PHB2). The speed bonus doesn't seem totally appropriate, either.

Vazzaroth
2006-10-29, 02:59 AM
I was planning on slowing the speed increse, or mabye making it like the Barbarian's one time gain. I was trying to come up with a way to make their fists overcome damage reduction and such like the monk's abilities. I was thinking somehow give them free enhancement bonuses somewhere along the line.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but a Brawler that becomes Lawful loses his powers. Only Neutrals and Chaotics here. Lawful comes too close to the monk in my perception. I'll add more later, it's late...

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 03:22 AM
I'm sure someone has done this before, it might be of help. Think it was Fax Celestis.

Edit: it's in the compendium, Brawler. The link isn't working though.