PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Mind Thrust for Mages

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 10:16 PM
Thoughtsurge
Necromancy [Electricity, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Arcane 1; Components: V, S; Casting Time: 1 Standard Action; Range: Short; Target: 1 creature; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: Will Negates; Spell Resistance: Yes

The microvoltage of the target's thoughts suddenly increases to potentially lethal levels. The target takes 1d10 untyped damage per caster level (maximum 5d10).
If the target is reduced below 0hp by this spell, they begin to bleed from their nose, eyes and ears. If the target is reduced to -10 or below, their brain explodes from their cranium.

Winged One
2006-10-28, 10:19 PM
:D

I've always wondered something: is Arcane(level) simply your way of saying Sor/Wiz(level)?

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 10:24 PM
:D

I've always wondered something: is Arcane(level) simply your way of saying Sor/Wiz(level)?

No. All spells in Modern are classed as Arcane (level) or Divine (level). Classes don't have seperate spell lists.

TheOOB
2006-10-28, 10:42 PM
It's a good spell, pretty darn powerful at low levels, but eventually outclassed by magic missile in terms of first level damage. I personally don't why it has the electricity descriptor if it's damage is untyped, it creates a weird conflict.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 10:43 PM
It's a good spell, pretty darn powerful at low levels, but eventually outclassed by magic missile in terms of first level damage. I personally don't why it has the electricity descriptor if it's damage is untyped, it creates a weird conflict.

Because of the way it works. It simulates a brain condition that causes your head to explode, so it's using electricity without actually electrocuting anyone.

TheOOB
2006-10-28, 11:05 PM
Because of the way it works. It simulates a brain condition that causes your head to explode, so it's using electricity without actually electrocuting anyone.

I understand, it's just the electricity descriptor implies electricity damage, which the spell doesn't do. It's no big deal, just something I thought was odd when I saw the spell.

Dhavaer
2006-10-28, 11:11 PM
I understand, it's just the electricity descriptor implies electricity damage, which the spell doesn't do. It's no big deal, just something I thought was odd when I saw the spell.

Metagame reasoning, I felt that the additional descriptor might have a very, very slight weakening effect, in case there was anything that blocked [electricity] as opposed to electricity damage.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-29, 01:36 AM
You mean like a tinfoil hat?

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 01:36 AM
You mean like a tinfoil hat?

That's cool. Tinfoil Hat of Mind Blank!

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-29, 04:04 AM
Oooo. Gory.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 04:16 AM
Oooo. Gory.

Since Raise Dead requires an intact body, I thought it would be useful to detail the effects of damaging spells.

Catharsis
2006-10-31, 08:50 AM
With what justification do you use the d10? Damage dice for spells tend to be d6's. I don't see any balancing factors: No attack required, no resistances to apply, goes against the most commonly weak save, and damage/level rises as quickly as it can...

For comparison, Burning Hands might have a quick damage/level rise and target several creatures, but is 1) hazardous to use except for rare situations, 2) uses the most commonly resisted element, 3) goes against a less commonly weak save, and 4) uses a d4 damage die.

Then again, a successful save negates any damage from your spell. Also, Protection from X works against it. With a d8 damage die, I'd say it's fine to use.

Remember, if your homebrew spell turns out to be the best choice of a given spell level, it's usually overpowered (-> DMG). At least Magic Missile is slightly better at higher levels for being more reliable and splittable amongst several foes (such as mirror images).

Yuki Akuma
2006-10-31, 08:55 AM
It's the arcane version of Mind Thrust. Mind Thrust uses d10s. That's the reason.

Most damaging spells are save for half. This one is negated on a successful save. That's the reason.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-31, 09:00 AM
Sleep and colour spray are better at lower levels mostly, anyway.
I can see some people using this as a finishing spell :amused:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-10-31, 06:49 PM
I'll just go out and say this is overpowered. Psionic powers, in general, are better and more flexible than spells even before you get to infinitely scaling augmentation. Dropping it to a d8 would work. Adding a +4 racial bonus to the save would too.

Also, it should be an enchantment spell. Telepathy -> enchantment. I don't care if it's dealing damage, every other school can deal damage too. I cannot think of an evocation spell with a Will save off of the top of my head.

Dhavaer
2006-10-31, 11:37 PM
I'll just go out and say this is overpowered. Psionic powers, in general, are better and more flexible than spells even before you get to infinitely scaling augmentation. Dropping it to a d8 would work. Adding a +4 racial bonus to the save would too.

Let's have a comparison. Fifth level, Smart 3/Mage 2 against Strong 3/Soldier 2.

Mage: 2d10 damage, not going to be resisted, 30ft. range, almost certainly going to hit, usable 3 times/day.
Soldier: 2d10+2 damage, can be resisted with DR, 90ft. range increment, fairly likely to hit (probably +8 attack bonus) usable 20 times/clip.

So: neither is likely to cause a MD save, the assault rifle is going to have at least one extra shot if it can make use of range, and the soldier isn't likely to run out of ammo any time soon. He also has better hp, Defence, etc. I'd say they're about equal.
Taking scaling into account, the Mage ramps up quicker, but next level they get 2nd level spells, which could very well make this one obsolete. The Soldier, on the other hand, will be getting Burst Fire next level if he hasn't already, increasing his damage to 4d10+2 but dropping his attack bonus to +5.

Also, it should be an enchantment spell. Telepathy -> enchantment. I don't care if it's dealing damage, every other school can deal damage too. I cannot think of an evocation spell with a Will save off of the top of my head.

Why enchantment? It doesn't affect the target's mind, it affects its physical brain. The [mind-affecting] tag represents that there has to be something there for the spell to enhance, so no going popping zombie heads.
I suppose a case could be made for necromancy, because it does mimic a disease/condition. I do have a soft spot for necromancy, so I'll change it to that.

NullAshton
2006-11-02, 10:47 AM
If I had a character with this spell, I would make him use it on all dead bodies. ALL OF THEM. Their brain blowing up is just too good to pass up on.

And if he was evil enough, using it on various commoners. Maybe on a rat or two, secretly. Hehehehe.

Dhavaer
2006-11-02, 04:25 PM
If I had a character with this spell, I would make him use it on all dead bodies. ALL OF THEM. Their brain blowing up is just too good to pass up on.

And if he was evil enough, using it on various commoners. Maybe on a rat or two, secretly. Hehehehe.

It's mind-affecting. They'd have to be on at least -9 to be affected.