PDA

View Full Version : Foods for a D&D session?

killem2
2012-12-04, 06:16 PM
My group is pretty large. We have currently 10 people who play, and sometimes they bring children.

We all bring something like potluck style.

Any one got some good recipes :D?

I always figure something out, but I'm a sucker for a good recipe.

Yora
2012-12-06, 09:25 AM
Good thing would be to first eat, then clean up, then everyone washes their hands, and then you get out the books and characters sheets.
For stuff to much on while playing, avoid things that are fatty or grease or could drip. Chocolate, cookies, salt sticks, and winegum have a relatively low chance of getting messy.

To feed large groups of people easily, I usually go for potato or noodle salad. Cook a lot of potatoes and noodles, put them into large bowls with half a jar of mayonaise, and then add sliced pickles. Then add whatever you have at hand like canned corn, canned peas, tomatos, diced onions, fresh paprika, leek, or whatever you want to. The water from the pickles mixes with the mayonaise and makes a good sauce/dressing. Cover the bowls with some wrap or foil and put them into the fridge or on the balcony for a few hours and it's done.
It's quite filling but also makes a good side dish to almost anything, and requires very few work to make great amounts of it. And if you have at least the pickles and mayonaise, you can probably make it up on short notice with whatever freshed or canned vegetables you have in the house.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-12-06, 10:30 AM
Surely for a D&D session you should serve Black Pudding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons))...

Aedilred
2012-12-06, 10:40 AM
It depends of course on how your sessions are organised. I'm inclined to echo Yora's suggestion that you separate your eating from your gaming. It's just such a better experience for everyone in every way. However, if you're really pushed for time you might need to eat as you go.

Anything that has to be eaten with a fork or spoon is probably good - provided it's relatively unlikely to drip. Something like salad or yoghurt might be good. Anything that comes individually wrapped is also a good idea. I'd be inclined to avoid stuff like peanuts, crisps/chips and pizza, because they make everyone, and consequently everything, greasy.

Having said that, I find that quantity of grease dispersed is really an individual thing at least as much as it has anything to do with the quantity of grease available. Somebody who's bothered about greasy books or the like is more likely to take care to wipe their hands even if eating at the same time. Someone who doesn't care will probably manage to make everything sticky/greasy/whatever even if you keep food well away from them.

Unfortunately there's no way round that other than everybody having a private supply of books. I long ago forced myself to accept that my D&D manuals would have to be an exception to my general book rule of pristine condition.

If you're going to eat first and are looking for something good to take, it obviously depends on the people you're with and what they like. One-dish meals are probably your best bet. Lasagne usually goes down well, and a good quiche lorraine (the trick is to use as much double cream as possible) is usually well-received. If other people are also bringing a lot of food, you might like to bake some cheese scones, muffins or brownies to provide a bit of variety. For similar occasions I've previously had mini beef and yorkshire puddings, which went down really well (you can do mini toad in the hole in a similar way - basically you cook the meat and then bake it inside a yorkshire pudding; there are a few recipes online). Again, these are individually-sized, so they're more like party food, but they're still actual food, rather than junk.

If you want to get really imaginative there are some great stew and pie recipes, including stuff like coq au vin or boeuf bourgignon, both of which are a lot easier to make than you might think, but that might be a little OTT for a gaming session.

killem2
2012-12-06, 04:11 PM
I should have been more specific, that's my bad. :smalleek:

I wasn't really worried about practicalities or what would be a good food with the books and sheets in mind.

The ages of our players are:

All of our sheets are in plastic covers, the books are not on the table, they are kept on a shelf next to the table. The table is 8'x8' so there is a lot of room, we have paper plates, big trash can, and napkins.

I have zero concerns about mess, or drawing away from the game, the food is always laid out neatly on a separate table, in crock pots, bowls for chips, its not chaotic.

I was actually trying to ask for food that YOU ALL love to have at your sessions :smallbiggrin:

Manga Shoggoth
2012-12-06, 05:31 PM
I was actually trying to ask for food that YOU ALL love to have at your sessions :smallbiggrin:

Well, the D&D group I used to be in met in in the DM's attic. During gameplay we would order from the various local take-aways (many of whom delivered) and break when the food arrived.

As a result we could have Fish and Chips/Pizza/Chinese/Indian/Local Deli/rather nice sandwich shop. We did on occasion have Macdonalds (until we got fed up with them mucking up the orders) or Burger King.

We occasionally had food cooked by the DM's wife. Anything she cooked was fine with us.

Jay R
2012-12-06, 05:48 PM
A few years ago, the husband of one of our players took sausage meat, formed it into the requisite shape, put it on a shish kabob stick, and served rat-on-a-stick.

Wyntonian
2012-12-06, 05:50 PM
I like to do kabob things on a grill. Meat (Marinated in soy sauce/ginger /garlic is good for this), whatever the hell kind of veggie you can come up with and you're golden. Easy to eat, too.

Drakeburn
2012-12-06, 06:11 PM
You can try having plates of food cut up into small pieces and with toothpicks in them (like the free samples at the supermarkets).

What kind of food you prepare in that fashion is up to you, just as long as it isn't greasy or drips.

JoshL
2012-12-06, 10:24 PM
my old group we would always have artichoke dip. I insisted upon it. We had other food too (any given home cooked meal, pizza, etc). Never tacos or fish, which is what I will blame the eventual dissolution of the group on. But always, always artichoke dip.

Mikhailangelo
2012-12-07, 04:16 AM
Haggis!
And Tatties!

Zeful
2012-12-07, 05:15 PM
You could make your own gummies (http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/01/06/homemade-gummi-candy/), or some sandwiches, or some cloned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY1rYBVRKV4) cake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yeyy4mQoes).

In all honesty, you should probably be prompting this question towards your group, for allergy concerns as well as things they'd like.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-07, 05:36 PM
My group is pretty large. We have currently 10 people who play, and sometimes they bring children.

We all bring something like potluck style.

Any one got some good recipes :D?

I always figure something out, but I'm a sucker for a good recipe.

Well, there is the stereotypical "Funions and Mt. Dew" recipe... :smallamused:

Normally, my group just has pizza and soda. Occasionally someone will have made cookies.

Mionelle
2012-12-08, 09:17 AM

Muffins! And also various toasted sandwiches. To be honest, we're usually too lazy to prepare something before session. I can't count how many times I heard 'Oh, we're hungry. Let's have a break! Do you have something tasty in your fridge?' :smallbiggrin:

Malak'ai
2012-12-08, 10:00 AM
Try out some Lemon Grilled Chicken. It's great either hot or cold.

A dozen chicken drumsticks (you can use thighs or nibbles, but I find drumsticks best for this).
The juice of 2 large lemons.
50gms butter.
Paprika (normal or smokey depending on which you like better) to taste (I normally use about 1/3 to 1/2 a tspn.

Heat the oven (on grill setting) to 120 degrees celcius (or equivilent in which ever system you use).
Melt butter then mix with lemon juice and paprika.
Place chicken in a foil lined high sided baking pan and then cover with butter mixture.
Grill for about 30 - 40 minutes (depending on size of drumsticks), turning once and making sure you keep basting the drumsticks every 10 minutes.
Don't worry too much if the skin starts to char alot, this is ment to happen.

You can make this on a BBQ or open grill, just adjust the cooking time accordingly.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-08, 04:46 PM
Dr. Epic's First Law of Roleplaying Nutrition:

Roll 3d12, add 6, and multiple the sum of those numbers by 100.

The product of this is equal to the total number of calories each player must consume by the end of the session.

Use this as a guild to purchase food.

Socratov
2012-12-10, 09:49 AM
to find the perfect kind of food at the RPG table we need to identify the individual needs and characteristics of the occasion.

the activity:

1)roleplaying is to have fun, and create a bond. It's also done with your hands so you want the threshold to be as low as possible to eat besides it. this alludes us to fingerfood. it makes it low threshold to grab a slice/bite/handful, stuff your face and eat up and join back into the dialogue/combat whatever.

2)Roleplaying means concentration. concentration means expediture of energy. So you need easily accessible energy. the quickest forms of energy are sugar containing foods and drinks, possibly incorporating cafeïne. the sugar will give a short term boost to the attentionspan and energy levels of the persons without stopping people from sleeping all night.

3)It's an endurance match. You stay seated and concentrated for long times. so apart form some short term fuel, you need some long term fuel as well. Think stuff with fats or meat (possibly both)

4)mess. You are rolling dice, looking over your charactersheets adjusting your HP/XP/whatever so you need to limit the mess a little. You can do this to limit the amound of grease or liquid comes off a bite. You can also reduce this by limiting the crunchyness of the food (like crisps) so bits don't fall off.

5)You need to clear it away quickly for when your turn comes. so no things like Fudge or toffee or anything.

Clearly this list says you need to eat M&M's of various kinds. (or M&M like stuff) :smallcool:

Karoht
2012-12-12, 01:18 PM
I own a panini grill. Makes the best grilled cheese you ever ate. Along with wraps and sandwiches. If I have good bread and good cheese and good coldcuts in the house, chances are good that the panini grill will see service.

Garlic Toast Grilled Cheese Sammich
Take 2 slices of bread.
Butter lightly one side. Add garlic seasoning of choice to this side.
Grill just this side.
Remove when this side is crispy.
Take grated cheese of choice. Toss it in a bowl with seasonings of choice. I recommend more garlic, possibly some basil, rosemary isn't bad but it isn't for everyone, thyme works nicely, pepper to taste.
Lay seasoned grated cheese on crispy sides of bread.
Lightly butter (extremely light, consider just spraying this side with a light amount of cooking spray, too much and it will be a greasy non-crunchy mess) the non-crisp side. Add garlic seasoning of choice to this side.
Squish both sides together, panini press until bread is crispy on the outside (but not burned) and the cheese starts to run.

Enjoy.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 01:25 PM
Mac and Cheese, With a topping of cooked Hamburger.
Really good, Even better though, Is If you mix it all...Mmmmmm.....

mangosta71
2012-12-12, 05:30 PM
My group prefers snack-type food while gaming. We usually have at least two of the following at our sessions:
chips and salsa/guacamole
fruit/veggie tray
meat + cheese + crackers tray
fruit bread
cookies

I've also made sausage cheeseballs that went over pretty well - take a pound of thawed (not cooked) sausage, about a pound of cheese (whatever type you like - I find that colby jack blends are tasty), add a cup of flour, mix everything up (you'll probably have to do this with your hands) and form it into lumps a little smaller than golf balls, bake for 10-15 minutes at 350. Quick, easy, delicious.

I also did cinnamon apple dumplings á la mode once. Everyone loved them, but they're not simple or easy. And they're kind of messy on top of that, so I doubt I'll be taking those to another gaming session, and I certainly wouldn't recommend them if there are small children present unless someone gets their rocks off by cleaning.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-12-13, 03:53 AM
I have pretty much exactly the same situation with my group; large group, food laid out on a separate table, potluck, the whole nine yards. Pizza and nachos/bean dip are both standbys in my group, though we have had meals of smoked salmon, Thanksgiving turkey, and sashimi at the table, among other things (oftentimes, leftovers from large celebrations wind up at our table). The last session before Christmas, we will be celebrating Cakesgiving, which is basically a large celebration where everybody makes and brings baked tasties to share. It is pretty much the best thing. :smallbiggrin:

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 03:55 AM
Sushi. Its tasty, filling, takes up little space and isn't messy.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-12-13, 03:58 AM
Sushi. Its tasty, filling, takes up little space and isn't messy.

It is SO tasty... But the PRICE! :smalleek:

We were lucky enough to have sashimi one day, but it was a fresh-caught ahi that was gutted and cleaned at the house (ah, the joys of living in Hawai'i). There isn't a single person who could actually afford that at my table, though, and we have a lot of people.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 04:03 AM
So you just need to learn to make your own. Its quite a fast food to make once you master creation. Just the rice is annoying.

Cosmic Traveler
2012-12-13, 11:33 AM
A personal favorite if mine's a platter of nachos. Nothing says "good times" like a nachos party platter.

Snack food I'm not all great at making but drinks are something I'm good with.
Shirley temples for the kids are always great. I have a Shirley temple variation I call the "health potion": pour half a can of 7up in a glass (not sprite, sprite sucks, no offense), pour 5 oz of fruit punch (if you can find Hawaiian punch, grab it) and 1 1/2 oz of grenadine syrup. Mix with a long spoon and enjoy your health potion.

Something more inclined for adults is something I call
"Truth serum": 1 oz of dry gin, 1 oz of vodka and 3 drops of lemon juice in a shooter glass.

Karoht
2012-12-13, 12:17 PM
A personal favorite if mine's a platter of nachos. Nothing says "good times" like a nachos party platter.The key to good nachos is to layer everything and hope it doesn't all stick together in one giant stringy cheesy mess, or just do individual plates of nacho's for everyone.
Dang it, now I want nacho's.
Nacho's and a chili dog.
Don't judge me.

Snack food I'm not all great at making but drinks are something I'm good with.
Shirley temples for the kids are always great. I have a Shirley temple variation I call the "health potion": pour half a can of 7up in a glass (not sprite, sprite sucks, no offense), pour 5 oz of fruit punch (if you can find Hawaiian punch, grab it) and 1 1/2 oz of grenadine syrup. Mix with a long spoon and enjoy your health potion.I've had one of these before. Very tasty. And yes, use 7-Up not Sprite. Sprite is just too sugary, 7-Up is more refreshing.

Something more inclined for adults is something I call
"Truth serum": 1 oz of dry gin, 1 oz of vodka and 3 drops of lemon juice in a shooter glass.2 oz shot glass right? Yeah, that's pretty decent.

IamL
2012-12-13, 09:36 PM
Personally, I love pierogies, which are like polish dumplings. I like blueberry, but you can find a link to meat or potato or even chocolate. Here's a link for blueberry pierogies:
http://suite101.com/article/polish-blueberry-pierogies---fruit-dumpling-recipe-a277449

mangosta71
2012-12-14, 10:56 AM
The key to good nachos is to layer everything and hope it doesn't all stick together in one giant stringy cheesy mess, or just do individual plates of nacho's for everyone.
The key here is in the cheese you use. Mexican blends tend to melt pretty smoothly. Gouda and American are also good cheeses for melting. The whole point of Velveeta's marketing campaign when it launched was that it melts really well, too. Mozzarella turns out stringy, cheddar turns into oily clumps, my one attempt to melt provolone was a disaster...

Another easy and tasty punch recipe:
1 gallon cranberry juice
1 2-liter of ginger ale
1 quart pineapple sherbet
1 12-oz can of frozen lemonade concentrate

Very nice blend of sweet and tart, and the sherbet + frozen lemonade keep it nicely chilled without ice. Just like this is appropriate for all ages; if you're making it for adults I understand that vodka is the spike of choice.

IamL
2012-12-14, 11:29 AM
I...love...nachos.
They're pretty good gaming food, too, provided you don't spill the cheese or salsa or whatever toppings you use all over the board or sheets.

Drolyt
2012-12-14, 10:44 PM
I don't usually eat when I play, except maybe snacks, but I do have recipes you might like. I really like this chipotle taco recipe adapted from Rick Bayless, I imagine it would be convenient since it is hand food (just don't overload the tacos):

Ingredients:

1 Pound chicken (sliced breast is good) or beef (sliced skirt or flank is good, but ground is okay)

3 Cloves Roasted Garlic

3-5 Roasted Tomatillos (can substitute half a can fire roasted tomatoes)

(a good way to roast the garlic and tomatillos is to first peel and rinse the tomatillos, but leave the skin on the garlic, and just place under a broiler for a minute or so. The garlic cools quickly so you can peel it almost immediately if you want)

1 or 2 Medium Onions, sliced.

3 Chipotle Chiles in Adobo + about a tablespoon of the adobo sauce (more or less chiles to taste, 3 is pretty spicy; you should probably also remove the seeds and rib to keep the spice down)

1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt

Might need a little water to thin the salsa

1-3 Tablespoons Oil (I like Canola because it is healthy)

Toppings (whatever you like, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, lettuce, cilantro, a good Mexican Queso, sour cream (or Crema Mexicana), guacamole, pico de gallo, although it is quite good without toppings)

A dozen or so Corn Tortillas

Directions: Brown the onions in 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil, however much is needed to keep it from sticking. Meanwhile combine the garlic, tomatillos, chipotles and adobo sauce, and salt in a food processor so it forms a nice smooth salsa. Once the onions are browned to your liking remove them, add another tablespoon of oil (unless using ground beef, which will release plenty of fat on its own), and cook the meat. Once the meat is browned drain the fat if necessary and add the onions and salsa, mix together and cook a bit to mix the flavors. If too thick add a little water, if too thin just cook a little to reduce. When ready to serve just warm it up (you can keep it in a crock pot or something) and serve it on warmed tortillas (just place the tortillas between damp paper towel and microwave for half a minute or so).

Variation: The addition of sliced bell peppers (cooked with the onions) make the tacos kind of like fajitas. A teaspoon of cumin will make it taste more like that as well, while still keeping the delicious chipotle flavor. In this case you might prefer fajita size flour tortillas.

Another Variation: You can brush the corn tortillas (flour won't work for this) with oil and place in a 400 degree oven for five minutes, flip, then return for 3-6 more minutes to make tostadas. Top the tostadas with the taco filling and toppings, just be careful. Alternatively break the tostadas up and use it and the taco filling to make a taco salad, with some lettuce, tomato, cilantro, cheese, and perhaps some pico de gallo or diced jalapenos if you like.

TechnoScrabble
2012-12-14, 11:12 PM
I have bookmarked various websites that post a new recipe every day, as I love cooking. And eating.

I recommend making rock candy for deserts, because everyone in my group always asks that no matter what I bring, bring rock candy as well. Also, Swedish fish.

But for actual food, try something different each time. We're gamers, most of us are used to just randomizing a meal from whatever ingredients we have left once a week before we have to go to the grocer's again.

Although this week's meal for my gaming group went well. I baked up some 'fried' chicken breasts, and made the breading out of crushed Cheez-Its, and then set the chicken on a bed of rice pilaf and steam vegetables, with the bed of rice circled by a ring of steamed apple slices, and for drinks I served some 'casual chardonnay' (Cheap, but not crappy. Like yellow tail!) and skim milk.

TheThan
2012-12-15, 12:14 AM
Sounds like you need a list of party foods/snacks. I’d go with classic party foods and picnic foods. Keep in mind some of these can do double duty as both a snack and as part of a meal.

Meal dishes:
Hot wings / buffalo wings
Tacos
Burritos
Hamburgers
Hotdogs/chilli dogs/braughts
Pizza
Chile
Potato salad
baked potatoes, mashed potatoes
Baked beans
Cheese/Jalapeño poppers
Barbecued pulled pork sliders
Shisshish kabobkabobs
Gilled anything
Dagwood sandwiches

Snacks
Nachos
Pretzels
Cheese/Jalapeño poppers
Chips and dip
Bar/party mix
Spring rolls
Party trays
Sliced fruit

Chilingsworth
2012-12-15, 02:16 AM
Hummus (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/hummus-recipe/index.html)

7-Layer Dip (http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/ultimate-7-layer-dip-63313.aspx)

Those are just sample recipies of the concepts. There are pleanty more arround.

OracleofWuffing
2012-12-15, 03:47 AM
I just get a sack of Goldfish crackers and maybe some almonds or banana chips. ... :smallfrown: