PDA

View Full Version : [race] Griffmen

ChaosStorm
2006-10-29, 12:25 AM
Okay, this is my very first post on the Forums and my very first Homebrewing attempts. I decided to try something simple. I don't think this was a very hard balancing job.

Apparently I have a weird fixation with Griffons. I didn't even realize it until I really wanted to make a Griffon humanoid race. Then it just stuck in my head and wouldn't go away. It was so strong an urge that I actually registered for the forums just to be able to post it. I think they share a little bit of mechanical characteristics with Raptorans, but since I don't know the exact mechanics of that race I don't know how much of a copy it is. (and I guess it's not technically a copy if I didn't look at the traits to make my own)

"Hurry up, short legs, we don't have all day."

Shara smiled to herself as she heard a string of what had to be Halfling curses flow up from behind her on the path. She and Fenz had traveled for two days in the forests and had all ready been on the mountain path for nearly a day. They were to establish trade relations for the Sacred Emerald City of the elves and the Griffmen here in the foot hills of the mountains.

"How much longer until we find these buzzards?" Fenz called as he heaved himself the path.

"I'd be careful what you call them; you might get confused for a deer, little one," Shara commented as she heard the sound of huge wings flapping above her and shadows filling the sky.

Griffmen

Hailing from their homes in the hills and mountains comes the Griffmen (and Griffwomen). These seemingly bestial folk resemble the powerful Griffin in humanoid form. They are simple people with a love of nature and freedom. Though wilder than elves, humans, and the other "civilized" races, Griffmen are noble and decent folk.
Personality: Griffmen have a simple outlook on life; you take care of yourself and your family and you live your life to the fullest. They are not prone to philisophical entanglements, but they do have a strong sense of wonder and curiosity for the natural world. Even with a strong curiosity streak Griffmen are a wary race and do not typically go far from the home of their clan. There is a tendency for Griffmen to jump into anger quite suddenly in or outside of their society.
Physical Description: Like Griffons, Griffmen appear like a combination of eagle and lion. They stand very tall (6 to 7 feet) but lithe with a slender build (160-200 pounds). Their lower half is covered in short golden or tan fur that slowly transforms into downy brown or white feathers. Large wings protrude from their backs and enable flight. Their hands are slightly scaly with thick nails. They have small beaks and large eyes. The feathers around the head tend to be larger and more formed then the rest of the feathers on their chest and arms. Male Griffmen are known to grow long hair on their head in place of most of the feathers.
Relations: Griffmen do not seek the company of other races, but when interacting with others they tend to be fair. Griffmen get along with elves and woodland races well. Halflings seem to share a curiosity for the world with the Griffmen, but Griffmen do not understand the constantly moving nature of the Halflings. Many a Halfling has claimed that a Griffman has looked at him or her as though they were a rabbit for the hunt. Griffmen are more prone to get along with the wilder races. While not a hostile race, Griffmen simply do not care if they interact with outsiders.
Alignments: Most Griffmen are noble people who uphold decency and goodwill. They are typically of a good alignment with a equal number leaning towards law, chaos, or neutrality. Lawful Griffmen have strong sense of family and following the laws of their clan. Chaotic Griffmen have given more into their curiosity and the urge to spread their wings and fly into the horizon.
Griffmen Lands: Griffmen reside in the foot hills and mountains. They have many small isolated clans and trade among themselves. A Clan is typically made up of three to six isolated families overseen by a council of female elders.
Religion: Griffmen posses their own Goddess and God, but some clans will venerate the nature Deities, and the adventurous Griffmen out in the world will pray to Fharlaghn.
Language: Griffmen have their own language, Griffen, using their own script.
Adventurers: While not frequent, many young Griffmen will seek permission from their clan elders and explore the world beyond their home. These Griffmen do not seek fame or wealth or even knowledge of an academic nature. They simple want to go out.

Griffmen Racial Traits
Dex +2, Int -2, Wis +2, Cha -2: Griffmen are very agile creature with strong senses. They do have some trouble interacting with outsiders and are not as mentally powerful as some other races.

Medium sized: While very large, Griffmen are still medium sized creatures and have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Griffmen have a land speed of 30 feet. A Griffman gains the ability to glide and fly as a Raptoran does.

Darkvision: Griffmen can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

+2 racial bonuses to Jump, Listen, and Spot checks. Griffmen have proficiency with the skills associated with their beastly relatives.

Automatic Languages: Common and Griffen. Bonus languages: Elven, Halfling, Gnoll, Giant, Orc, Sylvan or Draconic. Griffmen know the languages of the woodland races and the mountain races.

Favored class: Ranger

Level adjustment: +1

So, most of this was really the flavoring. I'm not really sure what could be added to it, or whether anything needs to be added or not.

I think my next attempt is going to be a variation on the Griffon itself. Why do they always have to be an eagle/lion mix?

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 12:30 AM
Why a Dex bonus? Griffons do have a high Dex, but an even higher Strength. Other than that, it seems fairly well balanced. I'm not sure about the flight, though. 60ft. speed at LA +1 might be a little high.

ChaosStorm
2006-10-29, 12:44 AM
Why a Dex bonus? Griffons do have a high Dex, but an even higher Strength. Other than that, it seems fairly well balanced. I'm not sure about the flight, though. 60ft. speed at LA +1 might be a little high.

I believe that was based off of a template I found in a book. The template's purpose was to turn classes into humanoids, but I didn't like most of the method in the template so I decided to do most of it on my own. I did use the template's ability modification for the purpose of the Griffmen's physical traits. It basically adjusted the Griffon's strength for it's size and it ended up not having a Strength bonus, but still having a Dex modification. So I applied that to the Griffmen.

And I wasn't really sure about the fly speed, either. I should make it less? Flying is a little iffy for me.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 12:47 AM
And I wasn't really sure about the fly speed, either. I should make it less? Flying is a little iffy for me.

I'm not really sure. Do you have stats for the avariel? They're a low LA winged race.

Jack Mann
2006-10-29, 12:49 AM
Take a note from the Raptoran's book. Give them 30 foot fly speed, and then increase it to 60 feet over the course of a few levels.

ChaosStorm
2006-10-29, 01:12 AM
yeah, I know that the Raptoran race exists, but i didn't have acess to the book that tells what their racial traits are. How does their flight work?

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 01:14 AM
yeah, I know that the Raptoran race exists, but i didn't have acess to the book that tells what their racial traits are. How does their flight work?

Like the half-celestial/fiend's spell-like abilities, I think. Goes from gliding, to flying, to faster flying.

Jack Mann
2006-10-29, 01:22 AM
Indeed. Raptorans can't fly at first level. They can only glide. They get a limited ability to fly at level five, and then can fly for as long as they can walk or run. You can find their basic information here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050106b&page=1). My suggestion is in line with that. Rather than giving the griffmen sixty foot flight right away, start them off with the more reasonable thirty foot fly speed (worth the +1 LA), and then let it gradually increase as they gain levels. Flight becomes less valuable later on, so it wouldn't hurt as badly as giving them sixty foot speed right off the bat. Or bird, as the case may be.

ChaosStorm
2006-10-29, 01:33 AM
Indeed. Raptorans can't fly at first level. They can only glide. They get a limited ability to fly at level five, and then can fly for as long as they can walk or run. You can find their basic information here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050106b&page=1). My suggestion is in line with that. Rather than giving the griffmen sixty foot flight right away, start them off with the more reasonable thirty foot fly speed (worth the +1 LA), and then let it gradually increase as they gain levels. Flight becomes less valuable later on, so it wouldn't hurt as badly as giving them sixty foot speed right off the bat. Or bird, as the case may be.

Ooh. Thank you so very much. I would have totally gone with that glide to flight at the start. Most cool.