PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Those Cute Think-Tanks [Creature]

TheOOB
2006-10-29, 01:06 AM
Tachikoma

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/715/tachikomaresizeder0.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tachikomaresizeder0.jpg)

Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 6d10+30 (66 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), Climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +5 dex, +6 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Slam +6 melee(1d8+6) or Machine Gun +7 ranged(2d10/100 ft.)
Full Attack: Slam +6 melee(1d8+6) or 2 Machine Gun +7 ranged(2d10/100 ft.)
Space Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Howitzer Shell, Improved Grab, Spider Shot
Special Qualities: Evasion, Thermoptic Camo, Rider, Spider Climb
Saves: Fort +2, Refl +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con -, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Computer Use +18, Jump +33, Knowledge(all) +14, Listen +11, Move Silenty +14, Profession(Soldier) +11, Spot +11
Feats: Dodge(bonus), Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Shot On The Run
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, Duo(1 plus 1 human), or Team(2-5 plus 2-5 humans)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 7-10 HD(large), or by character class
Level Adjustment: -

This strange blue tank is spider-like in design and has a large pod in back to fit a human driver, two machine guns attached to dexterous arms, and a small cannon attached to it's front side.

Tachikoma are AI controlled “Think-Tanks” designed for use by Public Security Section 9. While efficient and deadly soldiers, Tachikomas tend to care more about philosophy then warfare. A Tachikoma is a little taller then a human, and weighs several hundred pounds.

Combat
Tachikoma's usually only fight if ordered to. They usually prefer to remain both stealth and mobile, taking advantage of agility, speed, and ability to turn invisible. They primarly rely on their twin machine guns for combat, though they use their howitzer for heavier targets, and their improved grab ability if they need their target alive.

Evasion(Ex): A Tachikoma takes no damage on a succesful reflex save from an effect that normally allows half damage on a succesful save.

Howitzer Shell(Ex): As a standard action, a Tachikoma who is loaded with a howitzer shell may fire it out of their main cannon within 100 feat of itself. A howitzer shell deals 6d10 fire damage in a 10ft spread from the point of impact(Reflex Save DC 18 for half damage). A Tachikoma can only hold one howitzer shell at a time, and cannot reload itself. Reloading a Tachikomas howitzer shell is a standard action. This save DC is dexterity based.

Improved Grab(Ex): To use this ability a Tachikoma must hit with a slam attack. It can then start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rider(Ex): A medium sized humanoid can enter a willing Tachikoma as a full-round action and take control of it's functions. The rider has access to all of the Tachikoma's special attacks, special qualities, movement speed, racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, natural weapons, and uses the Tachikoma's strength and dexterity scores. The rider retains all other abilities, including mental ability scores, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and feats. A rider has full cover while riding a Tachikoma.

Spider Climb(Ex): A Tachikoma is always benefits from the effects of spider climb though they have a 30 ft. and may still take the run action while climbing.

Spider Shot(Ex): As a standard action a Tachikoma can shoot a sticky web like substance up to 100 ft. This has two functions. If aimed at a wall, ceiling, or other surface the Tachikoma can immediately pull themselves to that surface flying through the air to the target location at a speed of 60ft until they land on the surface. If aimed at a creature or object the Tachikoma may attempt to start a grapple with a ranged touch attack. After the grapple is initiated a Tachikoma may attempt an opposed grapple check to pull themselves to the target, or pull their target to them.

Thermoptic Camo(Ex): A Tachikoma can become invisible at will as the spell. Activating or deactivating this ability is a standard action.

Skills
A Tachikoma receives a +20 racial bonus to Jump checks, a +5 bonus to all Computer Use checks, and a +10 to all Knowledge checks and can use all knowledge skills untrained.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 01:31 AM
The machine guns don't seem to do enough damage. 2d6 is the damage of a 9mm pistol, a machine gun would be more 2d8-2d12.

TheOOB
2006-10-29, 01:41 AM
I really dont play much d20 modern, so I wouldnt know how much a machine gun deals, I just made the creature using D&D 3.5 rules and though 2d6 was an appropriate damage for that weapon considering the power level(and the fact that it has two).

Im willing to increase the damage, but I am worried that its allready a little powerful.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 01:45 AM
At CR 7, two 2d6 attacks with +7 bonuses is nothing. I don't know the size of the guns, but 2d10 is the damage of a big assault rifle.

TheOOB
2006-10-29, 01:48 AM
I raised the MG damage to 2d10, and increased the howitzer damage to 6d10 to keep in line.

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 01:52 AM
What's the howitzer supposed to be? A rocket launcher?

TheOOB
2006-10-29, 01:53 AM
Basically it's a tank cannon, they call it howitzer a couple times in the show(ghost in the shell: stand alone complex) even though thats not a correct definition

Dhavaer
2006-10-29, 01:56 AM
Standard armour cannons deal 4d12 damage, the Abrams does 10d12.

Edit: The standard guns, I've noticed, are automatic weapons while the Abrams has a single shot gun.

TheOOB
2006-10-29, 01:59 AM
The damage of the gun is purely a balance factor, I want it to do more damage then both the MGs together to make it a valid combat option, but I also didn't want it to be too much more powerful then what a wizard of equal level could do.

Thiel
2006-10-30, 03:58 PM
I think you should make it an option to change the cannon for a Gatling gun. No idea as far as damage goes.

I think the cannon (I think its a rocket-launcher)
fires something around the size of an 3inch shells.

knightsaline
2006-11-05, 05:08 PM
is it possible to convert this into a D&D monster? I can imagine a blue construct coming up to the PCs and saying to them "the next thing I say is a lie. I am lying" and attacks the PCs if they can't work it out (DC 20 INT check)

TheOOB
2006-11-06, 06:16 PM
Well, I did create it as sort of a joke. As for the paradox, humans have a unique ability to ignore things they don't understand so I don't think that would work.

I should add an ability where they commit suicide to help someone else, Tachikomas seem to like doing that.