PDA

View Full Version : [Artifact & Item] Make a joyous noise...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-29, 11:33 PM
Bell of Holy Rest
Minor Artifact

This enormous iron church bell is pitted and scratched and dull with extreme old age, but not one speck of dust or rust is to be found upon it. Around its rim are etched blessings in the language of the heavens. If hung within the steeple of a church built upon hallowed ground, this bell automatically rings itself 12 times upon the stroke of midnight each night. This peal causes a number of affects.

All undead within a mile must succeed on a DC 28 will save each time it rings or be filled with an urge to return to their graves, wherever that might be, and flee at top speed. Undead that were not given a proper burial are potentially Turned, the bell being the equivalent of a 20th-level cleric with a +6 modifier. With each ring a new turning attempt is made. There is no limit to how many undead may be turned.

With each ring, evil outsiders within 1,000 feet take 20d10 points of sonic damage, within 1,500 feet 15d10, 2,000 feet 10d10, 2,500 ft 5d10, and up to a mile 1d10 damage (DC 28 reflex save halves). If within 100 feet of the bell the outsider must make a fortitude save at the same DC or be permanently deafened and be shunted back to their home plane as the Banishment spell. Even if the save is made they are still deafened until its last ring.

Good-aligned folks within a mile gain the benefit of the Heart's Ease spell with each chime.

Strong Necromancy and Enchantment [good]; CL 20th; Weight 150,000 lbs

-=-=-=-=-=-

Smock of Repentance

This short, rough robe is made of worn sackcloth grimey with soot and ash. Once per day a truley repentant person whom removes all other clothing and objects and wears this robe gains the benefits of the Atonement spell. Those donning the sackcloth that are not truley repentant, but only desire its benefits, feel the smock grow quickly hot. The victim takes 9d6 points of damage each round it is worn as a holy fire begins to consume the mocker's flesh. Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
Its removal takes a full round that provokes an attack of opportunity, and the ashes of the burned flesh recoat the inside anew.
Moderate Abjuration and Evocation; CL 9th; Craft Wonderous Item; atonement, discern lies, flame strike; Price 18,000 gp; Weight 3 lbs

Toric
2006-10-30, 12:27 AM
Hmm, the smock's effect would be entirely up to the DM, but I suppose it would only come at the end of a sidequest anyway, in which the character in question would have plenty of time to express his sincere repentance or lack thereof.

Not much I can say about the bell, except it reminds me of the bell from Odama for some reason. It'd stink for a demon army to approach a temple with one of these.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-10-30, 01:56 AM
Would cover count for the Reflex saves?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-30, 12:49 PM
Hmm, the smock's effect would be entirely up to the DM, but I suppose it would only come at the end of a sidequest anyway, in which the character in question would have plenty of time to express his sincere repentance or lack thereof.
Well, alot of players would be saying things out of character like, 'Haha, I can do whatever I like and just wear this thing...'

It'd be obvious he was not repentant.

Would cover count for the Reflex saves?
Not really, they'd still hear the dinging. Basically the reflex save is to allow them to cover their ears ;)

Redwizard26
2006-10-30, 01:06 PM
Bell of Holy Rest
Weight 150,000 lbs

I think this is just a little too heavy .... but beyond that ... its great...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-30, 01:09 PM
I think this is just a little too heavy .... but beyond that ... its great...
Actually, this is only a quarter of the weight of some of the larger church bells. I did some research ;)

Mike_Lemmer
2006-10-30, 01:28 PM
Not really, they'd still hear the dinging. Basically the reflex save is to allow them to cover their ears ;)

So would earplugs count as an automatic success, then?

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-30, 03:27 PM
Wow. Very cool.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-30, 11:43 PM
Both are awsome, especially the bell. It is SO used in my next campain.....

If there is a reason to use it heh.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-31, 05:59 AM
There's a set of church bells, in a Sword&Sorcery(?) book, which has similar effects. Well, opposite anyway.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 09:47 AM
So would earplugs count as an automatic success, then?
I was joking. I don't understand reflex saves working for half the spells and powers out there, but it does.