PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Feats for Gritty Battle Options (Golden-Axe/Sieken Densetsu) PEACH

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-13, 02:50 AM
Attacks of Opportunity does not exist in my campaign. Sorcerers are the Battle Sorcerer variant but can also not cast ranged touch attacks. Arcane spells age the PC. Non-healing melee touch attacks take a standard action to cast and another standard action to deliver.

Composite Bows critical on a 19-20. See Gritty Battle Option.

AMBIDEXTERITYFtr
Prerequisites: Dex 17, Weapon Focus in weapon that will be wielded in offhand.
Any weapon you have weapon focus in counts as a light weapon for the purpose of determining to hit penalties for fighting with a weapon in each hand.

IMPROVED AMBIDEXTERITYFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6 Ambidexterity, two-weapon fighting
Penalties to the attack roll for fighting with a weapon in each hand or a double weapon are reduced by one (-1/-1)

PERFECT AMBIDEXTERITYFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +8, Ambidexterity, two-weapon fighting, Improved Ambidexterity
There are no longer any penalties to the attack rolls for fighting with two weapons. Any attacks granted by other two-weapon fighting feats are at the same penalties.

BARBARIC COMBINATION ATTACKFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6, Strength 13 or higher, Focus with the Weapon Used.
When wearing light or no armor you may follow up a full-attack melee attack with an additional attack with the pommel of your weapon for each regular attack you may make at a cumulative -2 penalty to melee. The pommel strikes must happen after all regular attacks and if any attacks are missed no further strikes can be attempted this turn. For example, if a fighter that has two attacks hits with the first, but misses with the second, he cannot perform the Barbaric Combination attack for that attack.
This attack uses the pommel of the weapon to deal nonlethal bludgeoning damage. It deals damage two size categories smaller than the weapons normal damage + Strength mod. For example a Longsword’s pommel strike would deal 1d4 damage.

BARBARIC FINISHING STRIKEFtr
Prerequisites: Barbaric Combination Attack
Benefit: When wearing light or no armor you may follow up a successful Barbaric Combination Attack with one of two maneuvers: a kick or a throw. The kick does whatever unarmed damage you would normally deal. The victim must make a Reflex save DC 10+attacker’s base attack bonus+attacker’s Wisdom mod or be knocked back 10 feet.
For the throw, the attacker and the defender make opposed grapple checks, if attacker loses their turn ends. If attacker succeeds the defender is thrown back 10 feet and lands prone and takes 1d6 + attacker’s strength mod in damage.

COMBAT AWARENESSFtr
Benefit: You take no –4 penalty on Perception checks to notice things in or beyond your flank areas. The penalty to notice things in or beyond your rear area is –4. If you notice something you can turn to face it as a free action a number of times per round equal to your dexterity modifier.
Normal: The penalty on Perception checks in or beyond your flank areas is -4; on Perception checks in or beyond your rear area, it’s –8. You can only turn to face once per round or as a part of a readied action.

COMBAT REFLEXESFtr
Prerequisite: Dex 15 or higher, Base attack Bonus +1
Allows you to ready an extra standard action per round as a free action. The trigger for this action must be in response to one of the following actions: ranged or unarmed attack, cast spell, drink potion or apply healing, sunder, skill use, retrieve item, put away item, stand up from prone, perform coup de grace, or disarm. It must be announced when this action is readied which of these actions will be the trigger. It can only be one of the above.

ENOUGH TALK!!Ftr
Prerequisite: Quick Draw, Unarmored Fighting
Once per fight as a free action you can draw and throw a light weapon at a target within 30 ft at no range increment penalty. The target is considered flat-footed for this attack.

INTIMIDATING ABILITY
Prerequisite: Intimidate 5 ranks, 13+ in the chosen ability.
Choose Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution;you may add this ability’s modifier to Intimidate in addition to your Charisma modifier.
This means the use of intimidate requires a show of one of these abilities.

MELEE EVASIONFtr
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, Dodge.
Benefit: While fighting defensively, you can attempt to negate a single attack made by the target of your Dodge feat.
If this opponent attacks you, use an immediate action to make a d20 roll modified by your highest base attack bonus.
The result is used as your normal AC and touch AC against that single, specific attack from your opponent. You cannot use this feat if your Dexterity bonus to AC does not apply against your opponent’s attack.

SKILL KNOWLEDGE
Benefit: Choose any two skills from one of your current classes’ skill lists. You now know these skills as class skills.
Special: Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.

SNIPERFtr
Prerequisites: Proficiency with any bow, Weapon Focus with any bow, base attack bonus +1.
Benefit: When using a bow for which you have the Weapon Focus feat, you increase the critical threat range by one point. This stacks with improved critical but cannot make the range of the weapon greater than 14-20.
If you have the skirmish or sneak attack ability, the maximum range at which you can make such attacks increases to 60 feet when you are using a bow for which you have the Weapon Focus feat. This also increases the distance ranged weapons can be used for the deathblow maneuver and adds +1 to the DC for deathblow.

UNARMORED FIGHTINGFtr
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefit: When wearing no armor you are granted a +2 bonus to the Fortitude save DC when you trigger an opponent massive damage threshold. Shields do not count as armor for this feat.

IMPROVED UNARMORED FIGHTINGFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6, Unarmored Fighting
Benefit: When wearing no armor you are granted a +4 bonus to the Fortitude save DC when you trigger an opponent massive damage threshold. Shields do not count as armor for this feat.

UNARMORED AGILITYFtr
Prerequisites: Unarmored Fighting
Benefit: When wearing no armor and equipping no shield, you may add a dodge bonus to AC depending on the relative size of the weapon. Light weapons grant nothing, one-handed weapons grant +1, two-handed weapons grant +2. A weapon that is normally one-handed that is wielded in two still grants the +2 dodge bonus.

UNARMORED MIGHTFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6, Strength 15 or higher, Focus in chosen weapon, Unarmored Fighting.
When wearing no armor and wielding a weapon in two hands you may add double your Strength modifier to your damage instead of the usual x1.5. A buckler cannot be worn and gain this feat's benefit.

PUGILISM
Prerequisite: Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: When you take this feat your unarmed strike damage increases to 1d6. At level 5, this increases to 1d8. At level 10, this increases to 1d10. You lose the benefit of this feat if you wield a weapon.

Addition Rules for Core Feats
Combat Casting allows casting on the defensive. If you succeed at a concentration check you get +4 dodge bonus to AC against any readied attack action against your spell casting. If you are hit despite this you get a +4 circumstance bonus to the Concentration check to avoid losing the spell.
Diehard makes stabilization automatic upon being taking to negative hit points.
Mobility grants a +4 dodge bonus to AC against any readied action set against some type of movement, such as approach. This bonus stacks with the bonus gained by Tumbling.
Toughness grants the 3 hit points as usual and +2 on the saving throw for critical hit severity and adds +2 to Constitution for the purposes of determining severity. This feat can be taken only once.

Grelna the Blue
2012-12-13, 12:13 PM
Overall I really like these, especially the feats that grant enhanced combat ability to unarmored fighters, but there are so many I'm not going to attempt a full review at this time. I did have a few questions off the top of my head:

You list what Melee Evasion can do when you are fighting defensively. Does it have the same or better effects when you are taking the Total Defense option?

You note in your additional rules that Combat Casting allows casting on the defensive. Do you mean by this that Combat Casting is the ONLY thing that allows this? Also, is the following text in the same paragraph listing more benefits granted by Combat Casting or is it just additional rules for casting in general?

Does a fighter with any of the Unarmored feats count as unarmored if wearing Bracers of Armor? And how do these fighters avoid getting badly damaged or killed in every fight?

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-13, 07:02 PM
You list what Melee Evasion can do when you are fighting defensively. Does it have the same or better effects when you are taking the Total Defense option?

I was thinking it would only work for fighting defensively.

You note in your additional rules that Combat Casting allows casting on the defensive. Do you mean by this that Combat Casting is the ONLY thing that allows this? Also, is the following text in the same paragraph listing more benefits granted by Combat Casting or is it just additional rules for casting in general?

Yes. This was also to explain what casting on the defensive does in my campaign, because there are no attacks of opportunity. The other information explains Combat Casting/Casting on the Defensive.

The feat lets you use combat casting. I then explain the house-rules version of combat casting.

Does a fighter with any of the Unarmored feats count as unarmored if wearing Bracers of Armor? And how do these fighters avoid getting badly damaged or killed in every fight?

Bracers of armor do not count as armor. Besides feats that raise AC, there are enhancements (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14352092#post14352092) that aid in defense for certain situations, and I have made magic items to deal with this. Here are some mundane "armor" that doesn't count as armor.

Leather Vambraces
+1 Shield Bonus to AC and Touch AC;5% arcane spell failure; Weight 2lbs; A shield supersedes the AC bonus but the touch AC bonus remains. Costs 70 trinkets.

Iron Manica
+2 Shield Bonus to AC and Touch AC; -1 attack rolls using this arm; -2 Armor check penalty; 15% arcane spell failure; Weight 7 lbs; The manica is a sleeve of lamellar that covers from the shoulder to the wrist. It comes with an iron vambrace for the other arm. A shield supersedes the normal AC bonus but the touch AC remains. Costs 300 trinkets.

and a magic item to help the unarmored:
Tabasheers are stones that when either worn so tightly as to be embedded in the skin, or surgically inserted beneath the skin, it bestows resistance to certain materials. All damage dealt by the mineral in the description is reduced by 1, and the wearer gains +2 to Fortitude saves to avoid critical severity and a +4 bonus to Constitution only for the purposes of determining severity.
Dragon's Blood Tabasheer is reddish brown and has a dull gloss. It grants resistance vs Minerals; minerals being stone, metal etc. As the name implies, this stone is claimed from the dead body of a dragon known as the Vipera (a suped up Wyvern). At the moment of this dragon's death its blood hardens. Most of these hardened droplets are too small or brittle to be used as a tabasheer. Only a single droplet will be large enough and tough enough to be used as a tabasheer. This “stone” appears ovular and is about the size of a canary egg (1/2 inch).
Mastica Tabasheer is a dark green stone with no gloss. It is a very rare stone found inside large bamboo chutes during the month of Flowermoon. It is very rare to find a stone fit for a tabasheer. Most of the stones found are white and crumble when touched. Those that are solid and about 1/2 inch in diameter hold power to resist attacks from plant material. Resistance vs plant material.
Cymophane Tabesheers are a semi transparent stone that seems to have a white, black, or yellow imperfection at its center. It bears a resemblance to the stone known as Cymophane or Cat's Eye, but this can only be found inside a pomegranate during Gathermoon. The pomegranate will be unusually large and bear nothing inside except the tabasheer. The stone grants resistance 5 vs animal material.

Glimbur
2012-12-13, 10:22 PM
TWF already takes too many feats. Adding several more to give another +1 is... unimpressive.

Barbaric Pommel Strike et al seem like an obvious choice for a monk, which might not be what you intended. Extra attacks are rather strong.

Combat Awareness fixes a problem that doesn't need fixing... facing causes more headaches than it is worth.

Combat Reflexes, by my reading, is a feat everyone should take. An extra readied action for free means an extra action every round. This is too good. Hopefully I'm reading it wrong, in which case you should clarify it.

Enough Talk seems like more of a skill trick than a feat.

Intimidating Ability is fine.

Melee Evasion is d20+bab versus their d20+bab+str+magic+misc. Not good odds, unless you're trying to dodge a ray or something. Also you have to be fighting defensively i.e. not killing the other guy as well.

Skill Knowledge is fine.

Sniper is ok. Crit range expansion is kind of nice, but it's not overpowered.

Unarmored Fighting et al are ok. I might roll them in to one feat that scales with level.

Pugilism is a lot like Superior Unarmed Strike from Tome of Battle. It's fine.

Core feat changes are fine.

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-14, 01:32 AM
TWF already takes too many feats. Adding several more to give another +1 is... unimpressive.

You know, I totally agree with this. This was kind of a player's request.

Barbaric Pommel Strike et al seem like an obvious choice for a monk, which might not be what you intended. Extra attacks are rather strong.

Monks are not allowed in the campaign. You say extra attacks are strong. You don't think them doing non-lethal damage off-sets that? You have to be holding a weapon, so pure unarmed striking would not work. Perhaps I should clarify this.

Combat Reflexes, by my reading, is a feat everyone should take. An extra readied action for free means an extra action every round. This is too good. Hopefully I'm reading it wrong, in which case you should clarify it.

Since I am not going to playing with attacks of opportunity, I wanted to have something that was like attacks of opportunity, but that did not already occur. I wanted it to emphasize tactical planning over automatic free attacks. Maybe have special restrictions on the readied actions?

Sniper is ok. Crit range expansion is kind of nice, but it's not overpowered.

Awesome! I was worried about that one.

Thanks for the critique!

chocobo86z
2012-12-14, 05:05 PM
I like that attack of opportunities doesn't exist in your game. Personally I think that makes the players scared to do anything. I don't have much to add to this. Personally I would love to play in your campaign. I don't really have any suggestions on what would make this better. I like your Enough Talk Feat. Keep up the good work! :smallsmile:

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-14, 10:08 PM
I like that attack of opportunities doesn't exist in your game. Personally I think that makes the players scared to do anything. I don't have much to add to this. Personally I would love to play in your campaign. I don't really have any suggestions on what would make this better. I like your Enough Talk Feat. Keep up the good work! :smallsmile:

After running two campaigns and watching people refuse to move or take certain actions for fear of attacks of opportunity, I decided they either had to change or go. I tried to work out a way to keep them, but decided they had to go. Combat Reflexes as I have written it may have to go as well.

SowZ
2013-01-25, 04:53 PM
I would suggest that unarmored might should be useable with one handed weapon, upping the Str mod to 1.5 from 1. Otherwise, it further encourages the ubercharging greatsword guy as the only viable damage dealer.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-01-25, 06:54 PM
BARBARIC POMMEL STRIKEFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1, Strength 13 or higher, Focus in chosen non-double weapon.
When wearing light or no armor you may follow up a melee attack with an addition attack for each regular attack you may make at a cumulative -2 penalty to melee. The pommel strikes must happen after all regular attacks and if any are missed no further strikes can be attempted this turn.
This attack uses the pommel of the weapon to deal nonlethal bludgeoning damage. It deals damage two size categories smaller than the weapons normal damage + Strength mod. For example a Longsword’s pommel strike would deal 1d4 damage.

If I'm reading this right, this doubles your attacks. That's rather insane. Nonlethal damage still helps me knock most creatures out as quickly as lethal damage does (as they fall unconscious when nonlethal damage surpasses lethal damage), so this is a HUGE damage boost. I might limit this to once a round, and let the damage be either lethal or nonlethal.

I'd also probably raise the prerequisites a bit, because at level 1 this is a HUGE damage boost.

BARBARIC BIG BOOTFtr
Prerequisites: Barbaric Pommel Strike
When wearing light or no armor you may follow up a successful Barbaric Pommel Strike with a single kick. This kick does whatever unarmed damage you would normally deal. The victim must make a Reflex save DC 10+attacker’s base attack bonus+attacker’s Wisdom mod or be knocked back 10 feet.

This is interesting, and would work better if Barbaric Pommel Strike were limited to once per round. Otherwise you might attempt to maximize your damage only to find out that you're throwing your opponent backwards.

Alternatively (and I'd personally prefer this), I'd allow either this OR Barbaric Pommel Strike to be used after an attack, and maybe give the former higher damage and/or allow it to do lethal damage. Otherwise you're looking at the ability to add +damage abilities to TRIPLE the number of attacks you'd normally get.

BARBARIC MIGHTY SHOVEFtr
Prerequisites: Barbaric Pommel Strike, Barbaric Big Boot
When wearing light or no armor you may follow up a Barbaric Pommel Strike with a grappling throw. Attacker and victim make opposed grapple checks, if attacker loses their turn ends. If attacker succeeds the victim is thrown back 10 feet and lands prone and takes 1d6 + attacker’s strength mod in damage.

I think the former is always better except on the last attack of the round that stands a chance of hitting, because you don't risk losing your entire turn. That's a bit of a concern for me.

COMBAT AWARENESSFtr
Benefit: You take no –4 penalty on Perception checks to notice things in or beyond your flank areas. The penalty to notice things in or beyond your rear area is –4. If you notice something you can turn to face it as a free action a number of times per round equal to your dexterity modifier.
Normal: The penalty on Perception checks in or beyond your flank areas is -4; on Perception checks in or beyond your rear area, it’s –8. You can only turn to face once per round or as a part of a readied action.

Urgh facing rules. :smallyuk:

COMBAT REFLEXESFtr
Prerequisite:Dex 15 or higher, Base attack Bonus +1
Allows you to ready an action as a free action once per round. This effectively gives you two possible readied actions per round. The free readied action granted by this feat does not change your initiative order.

Everyone must take this feat, forever. It's that good. Even if you limit the action list extensively it'll STILL be that good, as extra actions is one of the most powerful abilities in D&D.

ENOUGH TALK!!Ftr
Prerequisite: Quick Draw, Unarmored Fighting
Once per fight as a free action you can draw and throw a light weapon at a target within 30 ft at no range increment penalty. The target is considered flat-footed for this attack.

This just has a great visual. :smallbiggrin:

MELEE EVASIONFtr
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, Dodge.
Benefit: While fighting defensively, you can attempt to negate a single attack made by the target of your Dodge feat.
If this opponent attacks you, use an immediate action to make a d20 roll modified by your highest base attack bonus.
The result is used as your normal AC and touch AC against that single, specific attack from your opponent. You cannot use this feat if your Dexterity bonus to AC does not apply against your opponent’s attack.

They're MUCH more likely to hit than I ever am to dodge, assuming that I'm using this against another character with a full attack bonus. Probably not worth the feat.

SKILL KNOWLEDGE
Benefit: Choose any two skills from one of your current classes’ skill lists. You now know these skills as class skills.
Special: Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.

Probably underpowered. I wouldn't take it, personally.

UNARMORED FIGHTINGFtr
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +1, Dexterity 15 or higher
When wearing no armor you may add Dexterity modifier to your critical hit confirmation roll for melee and thrown ranged attacks. Shields do not count as armor for this feat.

Definitely now worth the feat unless armor is really, REALLY bad and/or you have huge class-based AC bonuses.

IMPROVED UNARMORED FIGHTINGFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6, Unarmored Fighting
When wearing no armor you may add half your Dexterity modifier rounded down to your melee or thrown ranged attack roll. Shields do not count as armor for this feat.

See above.

GREATER UNARMORED FIGHTINGFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +8, Unarmored Fighting, Improved unarmored fighting.
When wearing no armor increase the critical threat range of any melee or thrown ranged attack by one. 19-20 becomes 18-20 etc. Shields do not count as armor for this feat.

Better, but still see above.

UNARMORED MIGHTFtr
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6, Strength 15 or higher, Focus in chosen weapon, Unarmored Fighting.
When wearing no armor and wielding a weapon in two hands you may add double your Strength modifier to your damage instead of the usual x1.5. A buckler cannot be worn and gain this feat's benefit.

Also suffers from the same problem. Not sure this is worth three feats and not wearing armor.

scarmiglionne4
2013-01-27, 11:45 AM
I would suggest that unarmored might should be useable with one handed weapon, upping the Str mod to 1.5 from 1. Otherwise, it further encourages the ubercharging greatsword guy as the only viable damage dealer.

That could work. I may do an either or kind of thing, because greatswords are rare because steel is hard to come by. The closest thing available is this big wrought-iron beast.

Cleaver Sword
Using a cleaver sword in combat incurs a –4 penalty to attack (cumulative with the penalty for not being proficient with the weapon, if applicable) due to its strange balance. Cleaver swords are balanced for chopping from an overhand position, rather than complicated combat maneuvers. Anyone with the Martial Weapon Proficiency and a Strength score of at least 14 who takes an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in this weapon ignores the –4 penalty for using it.
Cleaver Sword: Large Martial Weapon; 1,500 trinkets; Dmg 1d12; Critical x4; Range –; 18 lb.; Slashing.

I am tweaking those unarmored feats. Armor is hard to come by, but I still have not succeeded at sweetening the no armor deal enough to make it a viable option, especially with the Massive Damage Threshold rule from Thieves' World that I plan to use.