PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if Anyone Remembers Me? The Beastform Barbarian (PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-12-15, 01:37 AM
Author's Note:
Man, it's been a while. But still, I'm here to give you guys some more homebrew that you will hopefully find interesting. Also, I have moved on to Pathfinder exclusive stuff now. So if I post anything else, assume it's PF-only and can only be augmented by Pathfinder feats/races instead of some of the crazy shenanigans in 3.5

The Beastform Barbarian Archetype

Beast Form (Su):
When a Beastform barbarian rages, he transforms into an animal and fights with claws and teeth instead of steel and wood. Instead of the normal bonuses provided by rage, a beastform barbarian assumes the form of an animal. This ability functions identically to the beast shape spell, and is explained in detail below (The following is just reminder text, it does not stack with the actual effects of the beast shape spell). If he becomes a Medium animal, he receives a +2 bonus to his Strength score and a +2 natural armor bonus. If he assumes the shape of a Small animal, he gets a +2 bonus to his Dexterity score and a +1 natural armor bonus. This is a (polymorph) effect and carries all such rules with it (such as gaining all natural attacks of the chosen form and having all the barbarian's gear meld into his new form for the duration). Additionally, while in Beast Form, the beastform barbarian receives a +2 morale bonus to his Reflex saving throws. This ability otherwise functions as rage, has the same limit on how many rounds it can be used per day, and still fatigues the beastform barbarian when he ends it. A beastform barbarian cannot use Beast Form while fatigued or exhausted. This ability replaces rage. Beast Form counts as Wild Shape for the purposes of qualifying for the Aspect of the Beast feat.

Hunter's Instinct (Ex):
When the beastform barbarian assumes an animal's form, he chooses one of that animal's modes of movement and increases it by 10 feet for the duration of the transformation. This ability replaces Fast Movement.

Heart of the Lycanthrope (Ex):
Beginning at 2nd level, the beastform barbarian's skin begins to get tough, like the fur of the animals he changes into. And yet for some reason, he cries out in true pain every time he is hit by a silver weapon...A beastform barbarian gets Damage Reduction equal to 1+1/4 levels. This Damage Reduction is overcome by silver weapons. This ability replaces uncanny dodge and damage reduction.

Body of the Lycanthrope (Ex):
Beginning at 3rd level, the beastform barbarian's fur has really sprouted, and he sheds his human clothes and lets the animal protect him. The beastform barbarian is unable to wear armor (non-magical clothing with an armor bonus of +0 is fine), but his fur grants him a +1 natural armor bonus that persists even if he changes his form through magic or supernatural abilities. This natural armor bonus does not stack with any other natural armor bonus except enhancement bonuses or the bonus provided by a beast shape spell or effect. The natural armor bonus increases by +1 at 6th level and every 3 levels afterwards (to a maximum of +6 at level 18). A beastform barbarian with the Body of the Lycanthrope ability is unable to receive an armor bonus of any kind to his AC (including bonuses from spells like mage armor). This ability replaces trap sense.

Improved Control (Sp):
At level 5, the beastform barbarian gains a greater mastery over his abilities, allowing him to transform for non-combat purposes without tiring him afterwards. The beastform barbarian is able to change his shape, as the beast shape I spell, for up to 1 minute per day per class level, divided into 1 minute increments (these increments need not be consecutive). While using Improved Control, the beastform barbarian does not receive any bonuses to his ability scores, and all of his natural attacks are treated as secondary attacks. As an added bonus, the beastform barbarian is treated as a spellcaster with the beast shape spells on his spell list for the purposes of activating magic items like wands or scrolls. His effective caster level is equal to his class level. This ability replaces improved uncanny dodge.

Improved Beast Form (Su):
Starting at level 6, the beastform barbarian's Beast Form ability now functions as beast shape II. The Reflex save bonus granted improves to +3. Additionally, the beastform barbarian's Improved Control ability now functions as beast shape II as well. This replaces greater rage.

Greater Beast Form (Su):
Starting at level 10, the beastform barbarian's Beast Form ability now functions as beast shape III. The Reflex save bonus granted improves to +4. Additionally, the beastform barbarian's Improved Control ability now functions as beast shape III as well. This replaces mighty rage, and does allow the beastform barbarian to assume the form of magical beasts.

Mind of the Lycanthrope (Ex):
Starting at 14th level, the beastform barbarian is treated as an animal rather than a humanoid (or whatever his type is) for the purposes of being affected by spells and spell-like abilities while he is using Beast Form or Improved Control. For instance, while in Beast Form, the beastform barbarian would no longer be a valid target of the dominate person spell, but would be a valid target of the charm animal spell. This ability replaces indomitable will.

Tireless Transformations (Ex):
At 17th level, the beastform barbarian is no longer fatigued after ending his Beast Form ability. This ability replaces Tireless Rage.

Supreme Beast Form (Su):
Also starting at 14th level, the beastform barbarian's Beast Form ability now functions as beast shape IV. The Reflex save bonus granted improves to +5. Additionally, the beastform barbarian's Improved Control ability now functions as beast shape IV as well. This replaces mighty rage.

Spirit of the Lycanthrope (Ex):
At 20th level, the beastform barbarian's power reaches its limit. When in Beast Form, the beastform barbarian can change his form every round as if using the shapechange spell, though he is still limited to animals and magical beasts. Additionally, the beastform barbarian can now assume the form of any animal or magical beast, regardless of size.

The adjustments for a Gargantuan creature (of either type) are +10 Str, -6 Dex, +10 natural armor. The adjustments for a Colossal creature (of either type) are +12 Str, -8 Dex, +12 natural armor.

The adjustments for a Fine creature (of either type) are -8 Str, +10 Dex, +6 natural armor.

While in Beast Form, the beastform barbarian gains all of the special qualities, special attacks, and supernatural abilities of his chosen form (but not spellcasting or spell-like abilities). This replaces the beastform barbarian's level 20 rage power.

NeoSeraphi
2012-12-15, 01:42 AM
Rage Powers and the Beastform Barbarian:

1. The beastform barbarian may not select any totem powers except the beast totem powers. The beastform barbarian may not take the totem warrior archetype.

2. The beast totem powers are changed in the following ways:

Lesser Beast Totem:
Prerequisites: Beastform Barbarian
Benefit: When you use Beast Form, choose a skill that a typical animal of the type you transform into has ranks in. You receive a +2 bonus to all skill checks of that type for the duration of the form you assumed. (If you change forms during Beast Form, select a new skill appropriate for the new form immediately). The bonus to the skill check increases by +1 for every 3 beastform barbarian levels you have.

Beast Totem:
Prerequisites: Lesser Beast Totem, Beastform Barbarian 6
Benefit: This rage power is identical to the standard barbarian power, except the bonus it provides is an enhancement bonus to your existing natural armor instead of a flat bonus.

Beast Totem, Greater:
Prerequisites: Lesser Beast Totem, Beast Totem, Beastform Barbarian 10
Benefit: When you use your Beast Form ability, choose a special attack that requires an attack roll, a combat maneuver check, or allows a saving throw that your new form has. You get a +4 bonus to the attack roll or combat maneuver check, or increase the DC of the saving throw by +2. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 levels of beastform barbarian you have beyond 10. This bonus immediately changes to a new appropriate special attack if you change forms during your Beast Form.

3. A beastform barbarian may select any of the following rage powers if he meets the prerequisites:

Multimorph
Prerequisites: Beastform Barbarian level 6
While using Beast Form, you may expend one round of rage for the day to change your form to a different form allowed by your Beast Form ability as a swift action.

Pouncing Lion
Prerequisites: Beastform Barbarian level 10
While using your Beast Form, you gain a +1/4 levels of barbarian bonus to damage rolls with all natural weapons you use as part of a charge attack.

Hunting Raptor
While using your Beast Form, if you make a charge attack while flying, you may move to your target, make an attack as part of the charge, and then keep moving in a straight line (except that your straight line allows for any change in altitude you wish, so you may rise or descend as you like). Your total movement for the round may not exceed up to twice your fly speed. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Power of the Lycanthrope
Prerequisites: Beastform Barbarian level 8
While using your Beast Form, the damage of all your natural weapons increases by one size category.

Stalking Panther
While using your Improved Control ability, you gain the Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight abilities (as the ranger) while you are in a forest or jungle terrain.

ngilop
2012-12-22, 05:21 PM
This is pretty a pretty cool concept!

Id give them some aspects of animals eventually somehwere in the class, like scent and things like that.

other than that I think this class archetype is sweet.

Lord_Gareth
2012-12-22, 09:51 PM
Hey remember me, I was in this thread last time?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

This is much less unrelentingly pointless as an archetype/ACF than it was as an entire base class. I'm still not resolved on how I feel about PF's Archetype system (I greatly like the ACF one), but now that it has its own niche that it fills instead of trying to force another class into a really weird corner area this sells much better.

As far as mechanics go, I've said this before and I will continue to say it until you fix the problem: tighten up your wording. Your rules text is alternately vague and needlessly verbose or convoluted. When I have more time I'll go through these and try a wording cleanup.