PDA

View Full Version : "Butterfly in the sky! I can go twice as high!" (3.5 Prestige Class, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-18, 05:37 AM
I'm looking for good suggestions for prerequisites for this class. I have some placeholder prereqs in there now, but I'd like something...windier.

Windlord
The Windlords are a strange lot. No one really knows where their power comes from. Some say it's elemental power in the blood, some say it's a strange innate magic. Either way, the Windlords are people who are filled with the power of the wind.

Windlords are almost universally chaotic in nature, with a few neutrals in their ranks. They are never lawful.

Windlords usually come from the ranks of classes like the Rogue, although sometimes Rangers or Monks will join their ranks.

Requirements:
Alignment: Non-Lawful
Skills: Jump 8 Ranks, Tumble 8 Ranks
Feats: Dodge, Mobility

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skillpoints: 4+Int Mod
Hit Die: 1d8

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1
+0
+2
+0
Windborn Fury 1/day, Windfight

2nd
+2
+0
+3
+0
Windblow (1d10, first damage type), Windblast

3rd
+3
+1
+3
+1
Windborn Fury 2/day, Windspeed

4th
+4
+1
+4
+1
Windblow (2d10, second damage type), Windtalk

5th
+5
+1
+4
+1
Windborn Fury 3/day, Improved Windborn Fury

6th
+6/+1
+2
+5
+2
Windblow (3d10, third damage type), Windwall

7th
+7/+2
+2
+5
+2
Windborn Fury 4/day, Windrider

8th
+8/+3
+2
+6
+2
Windblow (4d10, range increase), Windbolt

9th
+9/+4
+3
+6
+3
Windborn Fury 5/day, Greater Windborn Fury

10th
+10/+5
+3
+7
+3
Windblow (5d10, windburst), Windlord

Proficiencies: The Windlord gains no new proficiencies.

Windborn Fury (Ex): The primary power of the Windlord. A Windlord may enter a Windborn Fury as a free action on his turn a number of times a day as listed on the table. While in a Windborn Fury, the Windlord has his speed and reflexes heightened, at the cost of his durability. He gains +6 untyped bonus to Dexterity and doubles all his movement speeds while in a Windborn Fury, at the cost of -4 to Constitution. The windborn Fury lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + his (newly enhanced) Dexterity modifier, after which the Fury ends and the Windlord becomes fatigued. Windborn Fury stacks with other such abilities, such as Rage and Frenzy.

Windfight: At 1st level, the Windlord gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. In addition to the normal benefits, starting at 2nd level he may also opt to add his Dexterity modifier as damage to each hit, instead of adding his Strength modifier.

Windblow (Su): The wind is a constant thing to the Windlord, and it swirls around him and helps him in combat. Starting at 2nd level, he chooses one damage type (piercing, slashing or bludgeoning), and does 1d10 additional damage of that type each successful hit he makes. This is not precision damage; he's actually doing extra physical damage each hit. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.

At 4th level, this extra damage increases to 2d10, and may choose a second damage type. He determines which damage type the extra damage is when he hits as a free action, and all the dice must be the same type.

At 6th level, the damage increases to 3d10, and he may choose to use the third type of damage.

At 8th level, the damage increases to 4d10, and his range with any melee weapon he holds is increased by 10 feet, as the wind caries the strike out for him. Ranged weapons also have their range increment increased by 20 feet, as the wind carries to weapon further.

At 10th level, the damage increases to 5d10, and the Windlord now deals this extra damage in a 5 foot burst around the first enemy hit in a round. The Windlord and his allies are immune to this damage, as the wind the Windlord commands will not harm him or those he protects.

Windblast (Su): The Windlord has reached the point where he may direct the wind to do his bidding. At 2nd level, he may use the spell Gust of Wind at will.

Windspeed (Ex): The Windlord is slowly infused with the wind as he gains power. At 3rd level, his speed increases by 5 feet per class level. This applies to every movement type he possesses (including the flight granted by Windrider).

Windtalk (Su): A Windlord slowly gains control over the wind. At 4th level, he may use the spell Whispering Wind at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

In addition, he gains a bonus equal to his class level on any Charisma based skill check against creatures from the plane of air or that that have the [Air] subtype.

Improved Windborn Fury: At 5th level, the power of Windborn Fury increases, granting +8 to Dexterity. Additionally, the penalty to Constitution decreases to -2.

Windwall (Su): As his control over the wind increases, so too does his power. At 6th level, the Windlord may use the spell Wind Wall at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

Windrider (Su): At 7th level, the Windlord gains a continuous Wind Walk effect. This effect may be activated or deactivated as a swift action. It may be dispelled, but the Windlord can just activate it again on his next turn.

In addition, the Windlord may share this power with others a number of times per day equal to his class level. His caster level when he does so is equal to his character level.

Windbolt (Su): A Windlord has finally learned to use the wind in ranged combat. At 8th level, he may fire a bolt of wind from his hand. This is a ranged touch attack that deals damage as his Windblow ability, may be used at will as a standard action, and has a range of 300 feet. As with his Windblow ability, he chooses the damage type to deal. Additionally, when he gets the burst effect on his Windblow ability, it applies to his Windbolt as well.

Greater Windborn Fury: The Windlord has mastered his Windborn Fury. At 9th level, the bonus granted by this power is increased to +10 to Dexterity. Additionally, he is no longer fatigued when his Windborn Fury ends.

Windlord (Su): The Windlord is truly his namesake at this point. At 10th level, he gains the ability to cast the spell Whirlwind at will, with a caster level equal to his character level. In addition to the spell's normal effects, any creature caught in the spell takes the damage from his Windblow ability each round as well.

In addition, he gains the [Air] subtype.

Vaz
2012-12-18, 10:15 AM
Full BAB; so assuming a Level 20; thats 4 Attacks, with a 10ft Reach (so a medium character threatening 24 squares), with each attack taking an additional 5d10 Damage?

Throw in TWF, and it gets worse; but where on earth is an additonal 110 Damage (average) each an every turn coming from. Whirlwind attacks with a reach weapon; he has 20ft reach so that is what? 9 squares it threatens, with each attack then splashing all enemies in 5ft burst (for effectively 11 Square Diameter to affect 120 squares)? It is not as though it is protected versus Damage reduction against damage types. You might as well not have any mook opponents to face; just say "and windlord moves forward and whirlwind attacks" and move into the next area.

That would be fine if it was static, but its got a effectively 120ft Charge without any augmentation. Throw in the speed boost; (a human at 80ft/turn) and you are looking at running the 100m in less than 6 seconds, and still being fit enough to fight in. The fact it isn't hampered by armour only makes it even worse.

During this Windborn Fury he has +3 to damage on all attacks; in addition to an already pumped dex; so we are looking at around Mid-high 30's possibly? So +13-15 on each hit; a further 60 a turn on top of the 110 from the blows- thats 170 damage bog standard; affecting up to 55ft Square.

The idea is there; I just think that having splash damage to make a Breat Attack Dragon Blush is a bit OTT.

Razanir
2012-12-18, 10:58 AM
Maybe change burst to 1/round. Also, needs moar air scooter

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-18, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the catch there, Vaz. Burst damage changed to the first enemy hit in a round, instead of any time the enemy is hit.

Vaz
2012-12-18, 07:11 PM
The burst change is fine; but it is the 45ft square he threatens, with a Full Attack Dealing around 200 damage each and every turn which I am still not too sure of. I still do like this Prestige Class, however.

Wyntonian
2012-12-18, 07:30 PM
Looks excellent, it's been neat to see your skills improve. One little thing, though.

Does this ability:

Windspeed (Ex): The Windlord is slowly infused with the wind as he gains power. At 3rd level, his speed increases by 5 feet per class level. This applies to every movement type he possesses (including the flight granted by Windrider).

Take effect retroactively, giving you get +15 ft at level three? Or is it from that point and forward?

Zman
2012-12-18, 07:45 PM
Only had a few. Omens to look, here is what jumps out.

What Tier are you going for?

Skill Pts per level?

Dex to damage at lvl1, Weapon Finess, and a Ragelike ability boosting Dex. I'd change Dex to damage to lvl 2 or 3. It's very difficult to get any other way, usually a Swordsage Dip and a feat. Also, I think it should be limited to Finesseable weapons. Also, Str penaltlies should apply to Damage.

Maybe replace part of the Dex bonus for Fury with an AC and Reflex saves considering how many advantags the class is already getting for Dex.

+5d10 Damage is a bit much, especially with combination with other abilities and Full BAB attacks.

I think the class has power in spades, but could use even more versatility, even at the cost of some of that damage and I could seeit being a solid Tier3/4 contender or more specifically a +1 Tier PrC.

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-18, 08:00 PM
Hit die and skillpoints per level added. Scuse me while I go facewall for a while for forgetting that. :smallsigh:

Dex to damage has been pushed back to level two.

As for tier, I was hoping for a +1 PrC. I would have liked to give them a choice of at-will spells to pick from, but I was short on time and didn't have my books when I wrote this up. Any suggestions for other wind spells he could choose from?

mythmonster2
2012-12-19, 12:02 AM
Not a balance comment or anything like that, but the requirements for this class include Non-Lawful, yet the text above states Monks occasionally join the ranks. Since Monks must be lawful, this is sort of impossible, unless they stop being lawful and become ex-Monks.

Vaz
2012-12-19, 09:41 AM
They'd be ex-monks if the multiclassed anyway.