PDA

View Full Version : What creatures CAN'T breed with humans?

Morph Bark
2012-12-19, 05:45 AM
While the question originated mainly out of DnD 3.5 mechanics, this can apply to other RPGs as well.

In DnD 3.5, humans can breed with the following:
- Abberations (see: Half-Farspawn template, debateable from what abberation it may have descended)
- Dragons (see: Half-Dragon and Draconic templates and Silverbrow humans, though this might be only true dragons)
- Elementals (see: Half-Elemental template)
- Fey (see: Half-Fey and Half-Nymph templates)
- Giants (see: Half-Ogre and Half-Troll templates, Half-Giant and Half-Ogre races)
- Most Humanoids (see: the Mongrelfolk race, which is a mix of human, dwarf, elf, goblin, gnome, halfling and orc)
- Some Monstrous Humanoids (see: Half-Doppleganger and Half-Minotaur templates and the changeling race)
- Many Outsiders, both Good and Evil (see: Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates and the Aasimar and Tiefling races), also at least some Lawful and Chaotic (see the Chaond and Zenythri races, which are at least hinted to be of mixed human and outsider descent)
- Vampires (see: Half-Vampire template), possibly other undead (there are templates for Ghost-children in Dragon magazine)

Animals, Constructs, Magical Beasts, Oozes and Vermin aren't available ever, as far as I know. Nearly all Monstrous Humanoids aren't viable either, and neither are reptilian humanoids, since they are the only kind of humanoid that don't pitch in to create Mongrelfolk. (Well, them and aquatic humanoids, but we at least have aquatic versions of humans to prove that there are possibilities there.)

Anything else?

hamishspence
2012-12-19, 05:54 AM
With a bit of magic, you can even bend the "no reptilian humanoids" principle- yuan'ti, for example, are part human part reptile.

Eldan
2012-12-19, 06:22 AM
The half-golem template doesn't really count as breeding, of course. But you could refluff it (ugh).

There is a gelatinous template. Not sure if it applies to humanoids.

4th number
2012-12-19, 06:31 AM
The half-golem template doesn't really count as breeding, of course. But you could refluff it (ugh).

Yeah, a golem would be a hard one. You'd have to have a wizard do it.

:smallcool:

RoyVG
2012-12-19, 06:36 AM
I really am wondering how the Woodlings (MM3) came into existence. Were they created by a deity, was it a freak accident, drunk science maybe? I doubt Mother Nature was suddenly feeling... lonely.

Crazyfailure13
2012-12-19, 07:50 AM
I always thought things like catfolk, gnolls, and really any type of animal humanoid had to have been done by some sort of human breeding with a gerbil type thing,

and even if that isn't right, I believe their are half-catfolk around, so thats somewhat animal.

KhaineGB
2012-12-19, 07:53 AM
Funny thing is, if you use the BoEF, Doppelgangers can't mate with anything except other 'gangers.

So I would assume the half template only happens with a bit of magic involved.

JeminiZero
2012-12-19, 09:37 AM
- Abberations (see: Half-Farspawn template, debateable from what abberation it may have descended)

The Abberant blood feats might provide a clue. We know at least, that there are waterspawn, deepspawn and starspawn.

There is also the Illithid Heritage feat, so human-mindflayer hybrids of some sort do exist.

- Vampires (see: Half-Vampire template), possibly other undead (there are templates for Ghost-children in Dragon magazine)

Gheden (one of the components of the Emerald Legion) is a Dragon Magazine template for child of mindless undead such as Zombies and Skellies (Yes, I realize skeletons are missing the appropriate anatomy. No, I have no idea how they pull it off).

Animals, Constructs, Magical Beasts, Oozes and Vermin

Human-Animal hybrids do exist, but not from mating. You start with Lycanthropes (which are arguably part human/part animal). And you can crossbreed Full Lycanthropes with normal humans to get quasi-lycanthropes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) and eventually shifters.

White_Drake
2012-12-19, 10:36 AM
But the breeding process of mindflayers completely transforms a human host into another illithid. Humans are the race specifically exempted from the ability to become half-illithid. :smallconfused:

Eldan
2012-12-19, 12:39 PM
They have Illithid Heritage feats, however. Which are specifically fluffed as being the ancestors of the illithid empire at the end of time.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-19, 01:01 PM
In DnD 3.5, humans can breed with the following:
- Dragons (see: Half-Dragon and Draconic templates and Silverbrow humans, though this might be only true dragons)
- Elementals (see: Half-Elemental template)
- Fey (see: Half-Fey and Half-Nymph templates)
- Giants (see: Half-Ogre and Half-Troll templates, Half-Giant and Half-Ogre races)
- Most Humanoids (see: the Mongrelfolk race, which is a mix of human, dwarf, elf, goblin, gnome, halfling and orc)
- Some Monstrous Humanoids (see: Half-Doppleganger and Half-Minotaur templates and the changeling race)
- Many Outsiders, both Good and Evil (see: Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates and the Aasimar and Tiefling races), also at least some Lawful and Chaotic (see the Chaond and Zenythri races, which are at least hinted to be of mixed human and outsider descent)

Most of the things you listed aren't exclusive to just humans. They're templates that can affect many creatures. It doesn't seem so much humans can breed with almost anything. It seems more almost anything can breed with anything else.

TheThan
2012-12-19, 02:28 PM
Well off the top of my head
Dwarves
Gnomes
Halfings
Goblins
Kolbolds
Centaur
Gnolls

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-19, 02:34 PM
Yeah, a golem would be a hard one. You'd have to have a wizard do it.

:smallcool:
I see what you did there, wizard.

Morph Bark
2012-12-19, 03:26 PM
Funny thing is, if you use the BoEF, Doppelgangers can't mate with anything except other 'gangers.

So I would assume the half template only happens with a bit of magic involved.

BoEF is a 3rd party source, however. Half-Doppleganger might be Dragon magazine, but Changelings are official books.

They have Illithid Heritage feats, however. Which are specifically fluffed as being the ancestors of the illithid empire at the end of time.

In that case, I'd count illithids as being unable to breed with humans, considering their lifecycle. Even if humans might be ancestors of illithids, that doesn't mean the other way around is possible as well.

Most of the things you listed aren't exclusive to just humans. They're templates that can affect many creatures. It doesn't seem so much humans can breed with almost anything. It seems more almost anything can breed with anything else.

True, but I'm not interested in what those other creatures can breed with.

Well off the top of my head
Dwarves
Gnomes
Halfings
Goblins
Kolbolds
Centaur
Gnolls

Dwarves, gnomes, halflings and goblins must be capable of breeding with humans, otherwise the mongrelfolk couldn't exist and have the fluff that they have.

Centaur and gnolls, certainly. Good one. :smallsmile:

Xefas
2012-12-19, 04:14 PM
While the question originated mainly out of DnD 3.5 mechanics, this can apply to other RPGs as well.

Given the right circumstances, humans in Exalted can breed with pretty much anything. Other races, objects, geographical features, abstract concepts, and so on. You could mate with, say, a River, and the River would swell up and eventually birth a Godblooded, with a mix of characteristics from humans and river gods. You could wander out into the Wyld, and have sex with the color Yellow, and have this weird mutant child that is Half Human Half Concept-of-Yellow. You could find a giant undead behemoth larger than a city, and have a Neomah take some of its flesh, and create a viable fetus from it, and place it in your womb (whether you're male or not is irrelevant), where it'll pick up your characteristics, and you'll eventually birth it into... something like a powerful Ghostblooded, I'd imagine.

CaptainLhurgoyf
2012-12-19, 04:17 PM
...why is it that everyone's listing the mongrelfolk as a justification for human/dwarf breeding instead of, you know, muls?

hamishspence
2012-12-20, 10:16 AM
Because muls are sterile- mongrelfolk demonstrate you can have a non-sterile being with human and dwarf heritage.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-20, 10:21 AM
If it exists, a Human, Wizard, or Dragon will hit it. And like wise in reverse, everything wants a piece of human booty. It's like the rule of the internet, only for rpgs.

Zubrowka74
2012-12-20, 10:58 AM
The Abberant blood feats might provide a clue. We know at least, that there are waterspawn, deepspawn and starspawn.

Good point. You could also ad the Aberrant lineage from PF.

Grim Portent
2012-12-20, 08:12 PM
Based on the Bastards and Boodlines sourcebook humans can mate with everything regardless of wether it's giant (Jovans), bestial (Half-Gnolls), reptilian (Greenfolk are half human/half lizardfolk) or even a horrific monster (Mind Ripper is a cross of Mind Flayer and any humanoid). Half-Elementals are depicted as usually being the result of magical fusion, although GMs are always at liberty to alter fluff to suit their own dire and disturbing ends of course.

Not sure of the validity of the sourcebook of course, but it seems to be advice to bring contraception on all your D&D adventures.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-20, 08:58 PM
Half-Elementals are depicted as usually being the result of magical fusion

There exists a charm in Exalted invented for the sole purpose of seducing a mountain. That would explain half-elementals, I think. :smallwink:

TheThan
2012-12-20, 09:36 PM
...why is it that everyone's listing the mongrelfolk as a justification for human/dwarf breeding instead of, you know, muls?

ok so I forgot about muls.

icastfireball
2012-12-20, 11:05 PM
To anyone who believes that humans won't hit anything that moves...

Centaurs.
That is all.

The Glyphstone
2012-12-20, 11:12 PM
Like that really old joke from the Racial Insults thread - someone has it sigged here somewhere:

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
Elf: You're a human, everything looks like a girl to you.
Human: ??
Elf: Half-orcs, half-elves, half-celestials, half-fiends, half-dragons...
Human: Shut up.
Elf: Half-ogres, half-elementals, half-trolls, half-fey, half-vampires, half-dopplegangers...
Human: Shut! Up!
Elf:...
Human:...
Dwarf:...
Elf: Centaurs.

Winter_Wolf
2012-12-21, 12:14 AM
Sometimes it seems like the only things human don't breed with is other humans. The sheer number of human/other creatures in D&D makes it seem like everyone has a cross-species fetish. It's actually kind of amazing that the D&D human race hasn't become extinct.

Although I did make a campaign world in which humans were essentially extinct (also elves), and half-elves were the dominant species. Everything else remotely humanoid was just highly evolved and anthropomorphized from animals.

Swami Monsoon
2012-12-21, 12:33 AM
Rule 35: If it exists, there is a D&D character that's half of it.

OracleofWuffing
2012-12-21, 01:20 AM
Well, if you had a really loose definition of breeding, snicker, "loose," "breeding," a human can most certainly walk into a room with one ooze, and then walk out of the room leaving more than one ooze behind.

Like that really old joke from the Racial Insults thread - someone has it sigged here somewhere:

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
Elf: You're a human, everything looks like a girl to you.
Human: ??
Elf: Half-orcs, half-elves, half-celestials, half-fiends, half-dragons...
Human: Shut up.
Elf: Half-ogres, half-elementals, half-trolls, half-fey, half-vampires, half-dopplegangers...
Human: Shut! Up!
Elf:...
Human:...
Dwarf:...
Elf: Centaurs.
Last time I checked, Centaurs were depicted with elvish ears, just saying. :smallwink:

Daer
2012-12-21, 01:51 AM
I have no idea about answers but i am sure that bards are investigating it without saving a drop of themselves on every d&d world. :)

Erik Vale
2012-12-21, 01:52 AM
As BoEF has been mentioned, I will point out the Felid template, which suggests mating with cats.
So yes, humans can mate with animals.
I must say, and Genetics must make a tree, that suddenly curves into one species due to physical possibility.
Or maybe their instead split into mating group first, and then it proceeds as normal....

I remember someone somewhere raising a point about half dragon rats, that would kinda apply with oozes.

willpell
2012-12-21, 09:38 AM

I don't think Half-Farspawn are actually the result of breeding with Far Realm beings, they're more like babies of people who were mutated by exposure to the Realms, possibly enough to gain the aberration type but possibly not. The template might also be applicable to the mutants themselves, and I suspect that other cases such as Half-Fiend and Half-Elemental are not necessarily literal (the latter in particular sounds problematic at best for traditional elementals, and most of the humanoid sorts are outsiders instead). It might also be usable to represent an "energy infusion" produced through less venal means, perhaps performing a ritual over the pregnant mother to "bless" her child, or a side effect of the father having traveled to the elemental plane and routinely used appropriate energy protection spells (while not using a different sort of protection at a later date).

hamishspence
2012-12-21, 09:41 AM
Last time I checked, Centaurs were depicted with elvish ears, just saying. :smallwink:

Which actually gets brought up in Races of Faerun- the legend that Centaurs are the result of a cross between a wild elf and a wild mustang- which both elves and centaurs don't believe and find offensive ("the mustangs have no opinion on the matter").

willpell
2012-12-21, 09:47 AM
I remember someone somewhere raising a point about half dragon rats, that would kinda apply with oozes.

My assumption in cases of significant size difference has always been, to be sufficiently vague, that the male partner "produces" a "quantity" of the correct "substance" which the female then "interacts with" in an appropriate fashion. The bodies themselves don't need to fit, we just have to assume that all the zoospores are about the same size, which I believe is scientifically true - elephants don't have larger cells than mice, they just have a lot more of them.

Which actually gets brought up in Races of Faerun- the legend that Centaurs are the result of a cross between a wild elf and a wild mustang- which both elves and centaurs don't believe and find offensive ("the mustangs have no opinion on the matter").

Note to self: Awaken a mustang and encourage it to form opinions.

Gallus
2012-12-22, 09:19 PM
My assumption in cases of significant size difference has always been, to be sufficiently vague, that the male partner "produces" a "quantity" of the correct "substance" which the female then "interacts with" in an appropriate fashion. The bodies themselves don't need to fit, we just have to assume that all the zoospores are about the same size, which I believe is scientifically true - elephants don't have larger cells than mice, they just have a lot more.

That's how fish do it, from what I understand (which ruins quite a few mermaid jokes).

Eric Tolle
2012-12-23, 12:23 AM
Well according to Fredrik KT Andresson, the answer is "Pretty much nothing", as long as the human in question is a certain bard. The proof is on his Elfwood gallery, which is NSFW, so I won't link to it.

Pyromancer999
2012-12-23, 12:37 AM
Bears. Pretty sure bears can't breed with humans. That and Warforged.

Hylas
2012-12-23, 02:29 AM

*scrubbed* There's also no centaur women.

Which means you can't enjoy Harry Potter the same way again. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h2PlGikPZY&t=2m20s)

alchemyprime
2012-12-23, 03:09 AM
One of my favorite races is the Greenfolk - lizardfolk/human crossbreeds that breed true and in my campaign setting tend to be Australian from a large desert continent fill of poisonous things and surrounded by an ocean with a coral reef. The ultimate combination of the lizardfolk natives and the human colonists that are the greatest adventurers of this godsforsaken land.

eastmabl
2012-12-24, 02:02 PM

QFT.

However, thank you for the idea a new low level villain in an upcoming campaign based upon Manbearpig.

Katie Boundary
2019-10-03, 10:51 PM
FYI, John Mcafee had some interesting things to say on this subject:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1010682321106821125
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1079863420458074112
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1081031882328948736

With a bit of magic, you can even bend the "no reptilian humanoids" principle- yuan'ti, for example, are part human part reptile.

Kobolds, as written in the 3.5e Monster Manual, are humanoids with the reptilian subtype. No magic involved.

Rule 35: If it exists, there is a D&D character that's half of it.

...and half human.

Put the Incarnate Construct template on that Warforged and then put him or her in a room with a bard and tons of alcohol. Write down the results.

flat_footed
2019-10-03, 11:26 PM
The Fullmetal Mod: Thread necromancy is a forbidden art.