PDA

View Full Version : Online table/Battlemap with save states?

valadil
2012-12-22, 07:22 AM
I'm aware of a few virtual tabletops but it's been a whole since I've played with ten or compared features. Do any of them support save states? I'd really like to be able to put large combats on hold.

I'm asking because since my son was born I haven't been able to get my RPG fix. I can't leave him home with the wife all day nor can I had people over while he's sleeping. But I do have an hour or two of Internet time most evenings. That's not enough to get much done in the combat heavy games my friends play. But if a virtual tabletop let's you save the game state and resume later that week that just might work out.

Sidmen
2012-12-22, 08:07 AM
I'm aware of a few virtual tabletops but it's been a whole since I've played with ten or compared features. Do any of them support save states? I'd really like to be able to put large combats on hold.

I'm asking because since my son was born I haven't been able to get my RPG fix. I can't leave him home with the wife all day nor can I had people over while he's sleeping. But I do have an hour or two of Internet time most evenings. That's not enough to get much done in the combat heavy games my friends play. But if a virtual tabletop let's you save the game state and resume later that week that just might work out.

Roll20.net saves the tabletop state from one session to the next.

Raum
2012-12-22, 08:37 AM
Fantasy Grounds saves map states and the combat tracker. I don't think it will maintain the link between the two...so you might need to redrag icons to the map if you want extras like names and highlighting.

OracleofWuffing
2012-12-25, 06:06 AM
I know with MapTool, you could just go File->Save Campaign As and then you'd just have a copy of your campaign with all changes made. I guess it's kind-of wasteful, because it's the whole dang thing instead of just the changes you've made, but at least it's comprehensive.

Zombimode
2012-12-25, 07:40 AM
Fantasy Grounds saves map states and the combat tracker. I don't think it will maintain the link between the two...so you might need to redrag icons to the map if you want extras like names and highlighting.

Actually it does. All you have to do after restarting a session is to reopen the map windows.

valadil
2012-12-26, 08:10 PM
I know with MapTool, you could just go File->Save Campaign As and then you'd just have a copy of your campaign with all changes made. I guess it's kind-of wasteful, because it's the whole dang thing instead of just the changes you've made, but at least it's comprehensive.

I don't really care if it's inefficient so long as it works. I'm not a fan of MapTool for other reasons (most of it is overkill IMO) but some of my friends are already into it, so not having to convince them to learn something new is a big point in its favor.