PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, PRC] The Shapeshifter {WIP}

Codemus
2012-12-25, 03:44 PM
Note: Yeah, this thing is wonky as it is. I'm still nailing down the pacing of its abilities, as well as getting power levels right. Far from done, so a little patience is required. Should be pretty cool once its done.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Special: Cannot already have the Shapeshifter Subtype.
Special: Must have become stricken with the Curse of the Beast. Such a curse is commonly spread through contact with a cursed person, inviting the curse upon you by breaking mystical seals in old ruins, or even being struck with the curse by a god or devil. Sometimes remote tribes view it more a blessing than a curse, using religious rituals to spread it to new warriors.

Hit Die: d8

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special| AC Bonus
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Alternate Form (Animal), Curse of the Beast, Wolfsbane|+0
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|One with the Wilds|+0
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Spiritual Vision, Animal Spirits 1/day|+1
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Natural Predator|+1
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Alternate Form (Hybrid), Animal Spirits 2/day|+2
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Ferocious Predator|+2
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Empowered Form, Animal Spirits 3/day|+3
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Wild Hunt, Vicious Predator|+3
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Animal Spirits 4/day|+4
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Supernatural Predator, Ancient Spirits|+4
[/table]

Class Skills
The Shapeshifter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Proficiencies: Shapeshifters gain no additional proficiencies.

Alternate Form (Animal) (Su): A Shapeshifter can assume the form of a specific animal based upon the type that cursed him. The Shapeshifter does not assume the ability scores of the animal, but instead adds the animal’s physical ability modifiers (be it positive or negative) to his own ability scores. Changing to or from an alternate form is a Full-Round Action. While in an Alternate Form, you gain Damage Reduction (Class level)/Silver. A slain Shapeshifter reverts to its humanoid form, although it remains dead. Separated body parts retain their animal form, however.

Curse of Lycanthropy (Ex): However you first came into contact with a were-creature, the fact of the mater is you’re now cursed. You gain the Shapechanger subtype, Lowlight-Vision, and select an archetype based upon the creature that cursed you. This will determine what forms you can change into as well as the abilities you gain. You also show minor physical traits that hint as to your true nature (excess hair for werewolves, prominent whiskers for wererat, vestigial tusks for wereboar, and so on).

Shapeshifter Archetypes: Brawny (Ex. Bear, Boar, T-Rex, Ox): Brawny Shapeshifters rely upon sheer power to win fights and weather the blows of their enemies.

Nimble (Ex. Wolf, Tiger, Velociraptor, Horse):

Aquatic (Ex. Shark, Squid, Seal, Killer Whale)

Aerial (Ex. Hawk, Eagle, Sparrow, Cardinal)

Wolfsbane (Ex): There is a reason why this power is considered a curse instead of a blessing. On the night of a full moon, the Shapeshifter must pass a Wisdom check with a DC of (10 + Class Level) or unwillingly change into his animal form. He is mindless during this period, and acts as a normal wild animal of his type would. It lasts until sunrise, though he can attempt the check again two hours later.

In addition, silver is a lethal substance to the Shapeshifter, burning him as surely as an open flame. If he ever touches an object made of silver he automatically takes one point of damage. If he wears armor or holds an item or weapon made of silver, he takes one point of damage per round until he removes or drops the item.

AC Bonus: When unarmored and unencumbered, the Shapeshifter may add his Wisdom modifier (if any) to his AC. In addition to this, he also gains a +1 bonus to AC at #th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every # levels thereafter.

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Shapeshifter is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

One with the Wilds: At 2nd level the Shapeshifter gains both Woodland Stride and Trackless Step. If the Shapeshifter already possesses either one, he may replace it with a feat selected from the following: Diehard, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, or Lighting Reflex.

Spiritual Vision (Su): The Shapeshifter can cast Augury as the spell 1/week at a caster level equal to his class level.

Animal Spirits (Su): Once per day, the Shapeshifter may beseech the spirits to grant a boon on himself or another. This functions as any one of the following spells: Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Fox’s Cunning, Eagle’s Splendor, or Owl’s Wisdom. The caster level for this ability is equal to the characters Shapeshifter level. Every # levels thereafter, he gains an additional use per day of this ability.

Natural Predator: Gain an ability specific to your Were-type.

Alternate Form (Hybrid) (Su): At 5th level the Shapeshifter also can assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features. Changing shape is now a Standard Action.

Ferocious Predator: Gin an strong ability specific to your Were-type.

Empowered Form (Su): At 7th level the Shapeshifter’s Animal and Hybrid forms are empowered, gaining a +2 to Constitution, Strength, and Dexterity. He can now alternate between the three forms and his natural form as a Swift Action instead of a Standard Action.

Wild Hunt: As a full round action, the Shapeshifter may release its spirit from its mortal shell.

Vicious Predator: Gain a powerful ability specific to your Were-Type

Ancient Spirits: The Shapeshifter makes contact with the spirits of the Ancients, bestowing a greater boon than he previously received. Animal Spirits now instead grants the Mass version of the spells offered.

Supernatural Predator: Gain the ultimate ability of your Were-type

Codemus
2012-12-25, 03:45 PM
Abilities all Shapeshifters have –
Fast Healing (Su): A creature with the fast healing special quality regains hit points at an exceptionally fast rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in the creature’s entry. Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing. At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description). A creature that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow a creature to regrow lost body parts. Unless otherwise stated, it does not allow lost body parts to be reattached. Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs.

Limited Regeneration (Su): A lesser form of regeneration, this ability does not convert damage to non-lethal or replenish hit points. Limited Regeneration only allows the Shapeshifter to re-grow lost portions of their bodies and reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts that are not reattached wither and die normally. Regenerating a lost limb takes (10 days – Con Mod). The Shapeshifter must have a Constitution score to have this ability.

Predatory Abilities -
Note: Ability score improvements are only active while in Hybrid form. Fast Healing starts at 1 for Natural Predator, increasing by 1 for each Predator ability.

Brawny:Natural Predator – Scent, +2 Strength & Constitution, -2 Intelligence, Improved Grab
Ferocious Predator - +3 Strength & Constitution, -3 Intelligence, Light Fortification, Maul
Vicious Predator - +4 Strength & Constitution, Rend
Supernatural Predator - +5 Strength & Constitution, -4 Intelligence, Limited Regeneration

Nimble:Natural Predator - Scent, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, Trip
Ferocious Predator - +3 Dexterity, -3 Intelligence, Howl
Vicious Predator - +4 Dexterity, Pack Mentality
Supernatural Predator - +5 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence, Limited Regeneration

Aquatic:Natural Predator – Amphibious,
Ferocious Predator – Swim Speed +10 ft.
Vicious Predator – Swim Speed +20 ft.
Supernatural Predator- Swim Speed +30 ft.

Aerial:Natural Predator – Perceptive
Ferocious Predator – Fly Speed
Vicious Predator – Fly Speed
Supernatural Predator – Fly Speed

Vaz
2012-12-25, 08:44 PM
Capping DR at Level 10 with DR5 seems like an extremely minor ability. Perhaps 1/2 Character Level; or just flat Character Level?

Why limit the Were creatures more than they already are? I've had brilliant fun with a Werecroc recently. Non-Herbivorous Animals is admittedly a large number; but having only a dozen animals is a bit disappointing. I can understand you are wanting to give additional benefits to the class; but why not leave some hard and fast rules; which apply to broad archetypes; e.g a Bear/Trex or a Wolf/Deinonychus, or a Shark/Elasmosaurus could be Bulky Animal, Nimble/Pack animal and Aquatic Animal (WIP names). Use the DM to give the final verdict over what animal you are, while just trawling through a couple of the most obvious books to give a list of animals.

What happens if you come up against a Were-Shark? I've had a fun encounter against Were-TRex Fire Giant; why was it fun? "oh look dinosaur; wait where did that huge rock come down from?".

Why are you "punishing" the Shapeshifter for progressing in the class? While you CAN pump your Will Save; just to prevent yourself from becoming an animal once a month? Especially when Will is a bad save; I'd suggest making it a good save, or at least give Iron Will as a Bonus Feat; if not a prerequisite (but that is further limiting the class).

Quick observation; with the near enough monkish bent; requires good will saves, low armour, Wisdom buffing, perhaps allow the abilities of a Monk and a Shapeshifter to stack as well as allow to continue to progress levels in monk provided if there are no other classes which do not allow such. Instead of devoting his training to his philosophy he devotes it to his naturalistic environment; perhaps allow an alignment swing of up as well as he becomes more animalistic.

A druid gets Woodland Stride and Trackless Step at level 2 and 3; a Ranger at l7 for Woodland Stride; you are likely getting these at l8 minimum if the typical of around 6 Levels is adhered to. This seems to be far too late; as I already a believe a ranger gets it about 3 levels too late.

Animal Spirits; I'd make the Mass Variants of the spells available at L10.

Alternate Form(Dire); I see where you could get a little bit of a Squeeze in in regards to at least Dire Dino's. At the very least, you could just give any non Dire Creature a few boosts similar to Summon Boost Feats/Metamagic; i.e Augment Summon provides a +4 Str/Con, so +4 Str/Con to amy non Dire Animal you Shapechange into.

Wild Hunt; what does this actually do?

Thing's I'd like to see; Animal Companions; seems like something a Ranger or a Druid could "easily" progress into (although without Prereqs, makes it kinda hard to judge); and it would be nice to see it advance the stats of those they already have, or if not just acquire a pack of them.

Codemus
2012-12-25, 10:46 PM
Well, I did say it was far from done. :smalltongue:

Thanks though, you've brought up a lot of key points.

Capping DR at Level 10 with DR5 seems like an extremely minor ability. Perhaps 1/2 Character Level; or just flat Character Level?

One important piece of info here is that this class was in a previous version a full 20 level class. I only just recently decided to cut it in half and make it a prc, so there are still going to be a few things that are held over from that time. Thanks for pointing this one out. In this instance, I think I'll make the DR equal to Shapeshifter level. The combination of DR and Fast Healing can be a little strong in some cases.

Why limit the Were creatures more than they already are? I've had brilliant fun with a Werecroc recently. Non-Herbivorous Animals is admittedly a large number; but having only a dozen animals is a bit disappointing. I can understand you are wanting to give additional benefits to the class; but why not leave some hard and fast rules; which apply to broad archetypes; e.g a Bear/Trex or a Wolf/Deinonychus, or a Shark/Elasmosaurus could be Bulky Animal, Nimble/Pack animal and Aquatic Animal (WIP names). Use the DM to give the final verdict over what animal you are, while just trawling through a couple of the most obvious books to give a list of animals.

Well... the list of Weres are basically the Chinese Zodiac, only with Bear instead of Dragon, Wolf instead of Dog, and Boar instead of Pig. Just went off on a flight of whimsy when I did that. Anyway, that sounds like an excellent idea. Brawny/Nimble/Aquatic/Aerial just about covers everything.

What happens if you come up against a Were-Shark? I've had a fun encounter against Were-TRex Fire Giant; why was it fun? "oh look dinosaur; wait where did that huge rock come down from?".

Dinos are something I haven’t considered, but if I switch to the archetypes then its out of my hands.

Why are you "punishing" the Shapeshifter for progressing in the class? While you CAN pump your Will Save; just to prevent yourself from becoming an animal once a month? Especially when Will is a bad save; I'd suggest making it a good save, or at least give Iron Will as a Bonus Feat; if not a prerequisite (but that is further limiting the class).

Before it was at (10 + Class Level) which… wasn’t that big a problem. I bumped it up to 15 + class just a little while ago, but considering what you said… I dunno. It can’t be a free ride, and it’s mostly just a flavorful downside. Well, that wasn’t taking into account dinos, but whatever. I’ll fiddle around with it and see what jives.

Quick observation; with the near enough monkish bent; requires good will saves, low armour, Wisdom buffing, perhaps allow the abilities of a Monk and a Shapeshifter to stack as well as allow to continue to progress levels in monk provided if there are no other classes which do not allow such. Instead of devoting his training to his philosophy he devotes it to his naturalistic environment; perhaps allow an alignment swing of up as well as he becomes more animalistic.

Huh… it wouldn’t hurt to allow Shapeshifter to progress monk abilities, so… why not? I’ll tack it.

A druid gets Woodland Stride and Trackless Step at level 2 and 3; a Ranger at l7 for Woodland Stride; you are likely getting these at l8 minimum if the typical of around 6 Levels is adhered to. This seems to be far too late; as I already a believe a ranger gets it about 3 levels too late.

Well, I didn’t consider those classes when I built this thing. Again, it is a cut down base class. You mention the Druid or Ranger, but what about the Fighter or Barbarian? They don’t get those abilities at all. How about a compromise? They get those abilities, or if they already have those they get a bonus feat?

Animal Spirits; I'd make the Mass Variants of the spells available at L10.

Great idea.

Alternate Form(Dire); I see where you could get a little bit of a Squeeze in in regards to at least Dire Dino's. At the very least, you could just give any non Dire Creature a few boosts similar to Summon Boost Feats/Metamagic; i.e Augment Summon provides a +4 Str/Con, so +4 Str/Con to amy non Dire Animal you Shapechange into.

I think I’ll drop the Dire bit entirely, and have it just tack a bonus at that level. Should even the playing field.

Wild Hunt; what does this actually do?

Who knows? Ha, but seriously, that’s still in the works. Last time I did any work on this at all was this time last year, so I’m not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. Maybe something like Astral Projection? So I need to figure something out for it, probably along those lines.

Thing's I'd like to see; Animal Companions; seems like something a Ranger or a Druid could "easily" progress into (although without Prereqs, makes it kinda hard to judge); and it would be nice to see it advance the stats of those they already have, or if not just acquire a pack of them.

Yep, still gotta figure out prereqs, thanks for the reminder. I don’t know about Animal Companions though. I think I want to leave that out. Can’t pander to both Ranger/Druids and Monks.

Vaz
2012-12-26, 01:22 AM
Thank you for getting back so qiickly; I'm interested in seeing how the class turns out. Best of luck!